Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Book Club book Club book.
Speaker 1: I totally forgot. I totally forgot.
Speaker 2: Club Club book Club.
Speaker 1: It's been way too long.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, it's fine. Welcome to Cool Zone Media book Club, the only book club where you don't get to read the book ahead of time because of the way that the podcast world works. I'm your host, Margaret Kiljoy, and my guest today is gahar Hi Gary. Hello. Cool Zone Media book Club is where every Sunday I read you a story that's really kind of the whole of it. But this week we have a story by perhaps the best storyteller of our generation, a once in a millennia talent. This woman is a humble woman. She has a podcaster and an author by the name of Margaret Kiljoy.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right. I was really wondering who you're going to pull out there and be like, oh, who does Margaret thinks the best storyteller this g oh oh, okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah No, I don't know who I would actually say for this generation. It was last generation. I just assume I would be talking about Butler or LeGuin. But sure, no, I'm going to read you one of my stories because I've got a new tabletop role playing game out called Number City, and this story is called Confession to a Dead Man, and I wrote it because I wanted to write in that world. The whole world actually of the Number City started off me writing fiction before I later turned it into RPG stuff. Nice, but I can't remember. Do you play RPG as much? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I play an RPG now. And then were you we played in South Island?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that's what I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I played a really obnoxious wizard.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't even remember what podcast feed that's on to send people too.
Speaker 1: It was probably The Strangers Strangers Ones, I think, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: If you want to hear me and Gahre and Robert and someone else to do a.
Speaker 1: James baby Ooh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to.
Speaker 1: I totally forget. It's been way too long.
Speaker 2: But it could be James. It might have been James. Yeah, if you want to hear us play Escape from Insul Island, you can somehow find that on the podcast feed. But this game is a different game. It's called p Number City. But this isn't the game. This is a story. And if you don't like RPGs, dear listener, don't worry because the Kickstarter did really well. So I'm on the I'm on the hook to write a hole novella in this world, but that doesn't come out yet. The story, however, has What type.
Speaker 1: Of world is this that we're going to be delevated to?
Speaker 2: It is a roughly diesel punk with magic alternate world where god kings rule over the world and use people like ponds, and people are running around with swords and armor as well as bolt action weapons, and there's occultists and radio coexisting.
Speaker 1: Occultists and radio. Yeah, isn't that just what we're doing right now? Well, yeah, podcasting is not really radio.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, but this isn't the furthest thing from that. Yeah, okay, okay, that's true. No, see, you've got it all wrong, Alecti said, laughing a little, even though rain water dripped down on her through the leaky carriage roof, even though she couldn't reach the drops to wipe them off because of her handcuffs, even though the cheap lawman's carriage hit yet another pothole and her face cracked against the wood of the door. I didn't kill that guy. He was dead when I got there. No, yeah, I mean I would have killed him. It tried to even just missed my chance. The man sitting on the bench opposite of her just stared, waiting for her to say more. He was wiry, so was his beard. He was nearly enveloped by thick wool overcoat, but a hint of his pale gold uniform stuck out near his collar. ELECTI could just make out. The insignion is lapel, a sword crossed with a shepherd's crook. It's a cute name, ALECTI said, I'll give you that what the King's Boys and Girls Club. It's a cute name, like you're just a bunch of bootlicking murderous cops. Was the irony intentional when you came up with the name? I don't know, the man said, it was before my time. Maybe that's not what matters. What matters, ELECTI asked. Blood was starting to trickle down from her right nostril. It tickled. What happened tonight is what matters, The man said, If you didn't kill the reverend who did, tell us what you know, we'll let you walk. Oh honey, ELECTI said, I don't like when you lie to me. Who says I'm lying. The man asked, if you didn't kill him, we'll just hold you at Hazard long enough to get everything sorted. Let you go. The only thing we agree on, Electi said, licking the blood off of her upper lip, is that you're going to let me go. The road sounds changed from mud to gravel to cobble, and Electi looked out the tiny window. She couldn't make anything out through the rain and grime, but she knew they must have made it to p Number North at this snail's pace. It was another thirty or forty minutes before they reached Hazard Penitentiary. Electi and her friends didn't spend much time in Panumber North, where the streets are made out a street and the people are made out a misplaced loyalty. She said aloud, what nothing, Tell me what happened? The cop said again, yeah, fine, She said, no reason not to. Besides, she missed her therapy appointment that week because her therapist, Joan, had been on a bender with the squad from the South Docks. The dog girl what was his name? Dog girls all had stupid names like wrench or carburetor or Petunia or whatever Petunia that was. It had a nice bike didn't even explode very often, so he claimed he was cute. Couldn't blame Joan for missing the session. Yeah fine, I'll tell you what happened, but only because I'm gonna kill you. So it started, like every good evening does, at a party thrown by the anarchists. It's the fun anarchists, of course, the Errenian, not the boring anarchists, the Corsaurians of course. The don't call us anarchist anarchists from the North Docks where are even more boring. The industrial workers of Harrow, not them. It started at a party. It was a good party, mostly on a rooftop one of those weird theaters in the shadow of Triumph Tower. So you've got the sunset coming pretty through the ash haze over the factories, and you've got the stupid glow from the stupid Silver Church, which I do not like admitting is pretty. Some of the clackers were up for their warrens, trying out those bulbs you run electric through and they glow all handsome and light the evening up, and most of them don't even explode. There was a troop over from the Dead Quarter doing a pantomime plus half an orchestra from the Alps with their heirloomcellos and shit. So I'm having a good time because I love all that shit. I love the shitty mushroom beer that's all we get to drink because your God's dumble or as all the farms blown up and a forbid he bother importing some barley. I love the potluck snacks everyone brings. Who knew you could fry a rat in so much oil that it tasted good? Who knew you could grow hot peppers in the top of Triumph Tower. We're a little bit more sun peaks in. You know what I love the most about all these parties, though, I love that we fucking have fun despite how hard you and your immortal bag of dicks of a boss God try to make us suffer. I love that we still have music even if we barely have food. I love when you fail to take things like that away from us. I know what you're gonna say to that. You're not trying to make us suffer. You're trying to, like what, bring us back into his grace so we can win the war, rebuild the farms, and go back to living boring lives of quiet mediocrity like we supposedly had seventy years ago, right, get people trusting that money will feed us instead of us feeding each other. However, we can return the flock to the fold. Well, you got to get a new metaphor, because there's no more flocks of sheep anywhere anymore because they all got slaughtered for food ten years ago and all of their fields have been bombed as shit for half my life. But anyway, the party, party good, that's not the part you want to hear about. I guess who am I to deny you your last wishes? You want to hear about the Reverend Lemon hened the fourteenth. You want to hear about who it was who decided his ear would look better with an eighty bity teeny tiny spike stuck into it until it hit the brain. I mean, let's be honest, lots of us would have decided that. But you want to hear about the guy who actually pulled it off. Who wasn't me? So I'm at the party. I'm there with my friends. Malice, she was a marine before she went a wall kept her armor and her trauma pretty useful in a fight, which is good because she gets us into a lot of them, Sannie the rat king God. They're weird. Most people who use they them pronounsi us them singularly. Right, Sanni uses them plural. See a has the royal we se sees a god king. He says, we do not approve of you a lot having fun in the one and only life you have on this planet. We are not amused by your mockery and all of that. Right, Sanny uses the vermin. When you talk about Sannie, you're talking about the human kid buried under all those rats, But you're talking about the rats too. Love Sannie and Losa was there, of course. Honestly, I'm not sure about Losa. Are we even friends anymore? We hang out together, sure, do crimes, but we haven't talked in ages, not like really talked. God, you know, it really feels good to just get to open up about all this stuff, say, all the stuff that usually just lives inside my head. I really appreciate that. I appreciate you. I just want you to know that you're gonna be inside kind of a living nightmare soon enough, which you deserve because you're trying to lock me into a cage. But I just want you to know that you're appreciated as a person, even if not as a cop. Los is a patchworker. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, back, alley surgeon who flays corpses and mixes up fungal paste and sows the skin of dead people onto living people in order to heal wounds. You're thinking, A scary bitch with a scalpel who doesn't think a thing about ripping the bones out of living people. You're thinking, right, Losa's a scary bitch. He does all those things. Also a hell of a dice player, a good cook, and would you believe it, and honest to a the vegetarian. And we really did used to be close. I was at all three of her weddings and the four resultant funerals. But after that time in the basement of the club fighting all those giant centipedes, it just hasn't been the same. Plus, I think she's jealous of how close I've gotten with Malice, or maybe it's the other way around. Right, So the four of us are at this party and I'm just trying to have a good time, But malice is all We need a mission. Let's do a mission, and Losa is kissing up to her about it, so she's like, yes, look at me, I'm Losa. I will temporarily pretend I share your ethical framework in worldview in order to get closer to you and drive a wedge between you and Electe. Or at least that's what I assume she said, because suddenly she wants a mission too. Guys, can't the mission Sometimes get drunk and maybe high, and maybe just ave forbid, get late. No, no, no, it's time to do crimes for the good of humanity or whatever. I look at Sanny, but they're just feeding bits of mushroom to those rats, and their eyes start spinning and they whispered. Whatever happens, we're in, just like you can be in on these sweet, sweet deals of capitalism that interrupts this podcast. Here we go and we're back. So that's how I knew I wasn't gonna get late at the party, because every single one of those bitches would have died a thousand times over if it weren't for my spookyes saving them with a well timed curse or a jaunt into the ether. We find a guy with the Ernni knows everyone. I guess that's repetitive all the ERRENNI know everyone, we find a guy. He's cute, but I'm not allowed to see if he's down a fuck because we've got work to do for some dumb reason. And he says, there's this elbow guard. I know you know what I'm talking about. I know you care more about that fucking thing than you do about the life of the poor dear Reverend Lambin Hend the nine hundred and fiftieth of his name or whatever. I know that's why you followed us. Anyway. The cute guy, he tells us and everyone else at the party, besides about his elbow guard, holy to the outsiders, ancient made out of granite and quarts in the ceremonial style. Let's see if I get this chain of events right. Lamban had this tenant, an old outsider lady who got entired of sleeping in a crypt in the Dead Quarter. And I tried to do things proper and get a room in North Pannumber. Only now there's no money and everything is favors and reputation and shit. Mister Hend doesn't really like unprestigious guests, so he got into his head that she owed him something, so he marches into her house and picks up the most valuable thing he sees, Like the prick that he is, the elbow guard, he takes it to the esteem to see what it's worth. Only I think a skip saw that go down. And now the whole city knows. They especially know that there's an inscription in the damn thing, and half of it is written in the language outside, and half of it is written in whatever fuck weird language related adult p number, and that no one can read that scrawled across the hole under city. So it's valuable to lots of people. So first, yeah, the ideas that we're going to steal the damn thing, get it back to the outsiders where it belongs. It's just the right thing to do. And sure none of us would mind that. They'd be grateful and maybe let us use their gunsmithies sometimes. Then Losa, though, see she grew up on the streets mostly because her mom was from Panumber North Like she's fourth generation patchworker. You see where I'm going with us. You remember when your little King's Boys and Girls Club rounded up the patchworkers, called them unholy, drove them out of your territory. What was that? Ten years ago? When you know Loso was ten. Well, guess who were mom's landlord had been? Guess who had told you all Los's mom in the first place. Lemon fucking henned the fourteenth. Sorry, Reverend Lemon hand the fucking fourteenth. He ain't so revered as this title implies, not by most of the city. Losa says her bit about what happened to her, and what do you know, half the party has stories about this guy hired some thugs, not you, other thugs to blow up a pie shop run by the lords of the New Order that was competing with the one he had interest in. Ain't too good to the people he hires either. He was one of those thugs he'd hired who was at the party, turns out Hand and tossed him to the lords as soon as it was convenient. His friends rescued him. Funny thing about friends. It's nice to have friends anyway. More and more people saying this shit. He's a bad landlord, a shitty boss, awful of the people he fucks. He's just this is not a redeeming bone in that man's body. So pretty quick we go from let's rob the guy, so let's kill the guy you know how that goes. And a couple of dog girls are around with their bikes, and one of them even a a sidecar, and they figure, what the hell, why not go for a joy ride or I guess I'll kill Ride up to p number North, find this guy's house, swap out his insides for his outsides, grab the stolen elbow guard. Wham bam, thank you, ma'am. All the good night's work. Nope, you fox her on the prowl. Good thing. The dog girls are smarter than you.
Speaker 1: Lot.
Speaker 2: The voyager patrols like six times. We stop at an alley by the canal, hop up onto the second floor balcony. The door was wide open. How the hell malice climbs up in all that powered armor dragging a goddamn boiler. The world will never know, I swear to a I've never seen her strength fail her. And here's where it gets good, right, here's where you start to care. The damn man is already dead, like he's sleeping, and except there's blood on the pillow. I know a thing or two about a thing or two, And while everyone else is just like what the fuck happened here? I can tell them that, like Okay, bear with me. You know that the world is made up of three worlds, right. I know A tries to keep you in the dark on basic cosmology. But there's three worlds form a triangle. We live on the material. Then there's the ether, which is I guess where you could call the angels. That's where they live. Then there's the rot with you know, demons. Right, we touch both other planes, and each of those other planes touches ours and the other one. It's a triangle, not your dumb hell or of heaven linear hierarchy you've been lied to. So as humans live on the material, right, But we're made out of stuff that transfers from one to the other. What you call your higher soul than your lower soul, which are dumb words for it, by the way, I say, it's a gape and thelema, and maybe those are dumb words for it too, Who knows. When you die, your stuff moves on. A gape goes in the circle clockwise, heads over to the ether till it heads over the rot, till it heads on back to the material. Thelema goes caraclockwise over to the rot, then the ether, then back to here. You get the idea, what has this got to do with ear spikes? See, back before your fucking god kings ascended, people here knew a thing or two about the planes, and more people than just us weirdos could communicate across those borders. And those people whose name is lost to us, probably forever in my society, the hermetic order of nothing, we call them the forgotten people, which is not super original, but it is descriptive. Those people, the forgotten people. They used to kill people by jamming spikes into their ear. That's my point. It's kind of classy and not much mess. Didn't even wake the guy up. You should try it. No, actually, well not you. You shouldn't try it. You're a cop. You actually shouldn't kill people or exist. I'd say quit your job and find new friends, but it's too late for that. So there we are, and I'm trying to explain a Gape and Thelma to everyone, and they're kind of ignoring me, because everyone does when I talk about that stuff. And Malice is looking through the guy's bedroom and there's like it's like a dumb, goddamn museum and they are complete with stolen artifacts, pine glass and plaques. There's an old, rusty saber from Kirik and a rovy and rare book. And wait, get this, there's a human skull labeled as having belonged to a chieftain of Sore. Can you believe it? You're just staring at me. You don't get it. Soor doesn't have chieftains. It never did. The whole country is built on a plateau no one was able to reach until the god King Sore lifted his people up with his mighty magic or whatever. Come on. Their whole religion is based on that. How do you not know that Sora is even friends with eighth right now? You should know that. And there's a glass case where the elbow guard should be, But of course it's empty because someone stole it, probably whoever earspiked our good friend. Because of course the plaque is just a handwritten piece of paper because there hadn't been enough time to find an engraver. It says elbow guard probably important. We're all having to laugh about the chieftain's skull. Unto a rat runs in, looks up at Sanny, and Sanny looks down at the rat, and they turn to us and tell us that people are on their way a lot of people. That's the good thing about having a swarm of rats at your command. What kind of people, Losa asked, They don't know their fucking rats, Sanny said, only Sanny probably doesn't curse when they said it. We should get the fuck out here again, probably without the fuck. It's hard not to cuss when I'm in your shitty fucking carriage. Do you people not know how to fix a roof? You keep it shitty just so your guests have it worse. But you have it worse too, you asshole. You're just making the fucking world worse. God, I can't wait to get out of here and kill you. My nose is fucking bleeding and I can't see shit, and my hands are cramping anyway, so we fuck off right back out the window. The doggirls who drove us there, they're gone. I guess they saw which way the wind was blowing. And those bikers like some of us all right, but not enough to fight off the cops and risks getting killed or sent to hazard. That's how we figure whoever's coming, it's probably you all. Malice wants to stay and shoot you all with her bolt thrower, which sounds like a reasonable plan to me, but Sanny and Losa don't like it, so we break into the empty house next door and lay low. Sure enough, it's you and your buds who show up. Probably remember this part. You go in search the house, find the body.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 2: What I do is I make sure my friends are keeping watch, and I pull out the candles and the incense and the chalk and the charcoal, and I get myself a circle drawn up on the wood floor in the empty house, and I tie a silk rope around my waist and I project myself into the ether, or to be more accurate, some portion of my gape crosses over while my body stays put, and I'm walking around like a ghost through walls and shit, tethered to my body by that rope. I pop over next door and guess whose essence is still lingering, not dissolved yet into the ether proper, Reverend Lemon Hen the fucking fourteenth, that's Who's It's funny because that's how I know you were one of the kingsmen who showed up, because I was in the room with you while you were investigating good eye, catching that feather.
Speaker 1: On the ground.
Speaker 2: By the way, we'd missed that Lambon is standing there, looking all angelic and blist out like every other dead prick, And he seems surprised that I can see him, asks if I'm an angel sent to help usher him into heaven for his lifetime of good deeds. So I look at him, and I never claimed to be an honest girl. Well, I mean, I've claimed it, but it's never been true. I look at him and I say, yep, that's me, sirraphic as hell. Just need to tie up some loose ends, get everything sort of with your paperwork. Tell me in your own words, how you died. He tells me his story, which wasn't too long. He went to bed same as normal, then woke up feeling something weird. Flicked his eyes open, saw a man, gaunt and age leaning over him, pale skin like the lampreman. Then he caught, just a moment's glance, just like the saw some horror the likes of which he'd never dreamed. Some kind of taxidermy bird gone wrong, six feet tall, feathered, beaked eyes everywhere across his body. What was it? He asked, like I had all the answers I did this time, though, and I wanted to be addict to him and make something up. But I thought, you know what, this guy's like, soular whatever. He is about to disintegrate into the ether and he's never going to experience anything ever again. And it looks like I've got a soft spot for folks who are already dead or like in your case, basically already dead. So I tell him, and this is where I cut to ads. But I think we're gonna run our don't talk to cops ad because this is a whole story about someone who talks to cops. You shouldn't do this. This is bad. So here's an ad about not talking to cops. And then if any other ads run it was a terrible mistake.
Speaker 1: The Washington State Highway Patrol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, just the all sides of this picture. You know, we believe in something over here.
Speaker 1: Here's that we believe in something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not sure what these things we believe in, these sponsors and we're back. And this is what you want to know too. You and Lemon have got a lot in common. Actually, I tell him that he's describing a demon sort of. I'm telling him he saw a geddesist above him. You think, as a cultists are rare and scary those of us who fuck with the ether. Oh, you're gonna love the geddesists, so they fuck with the rot. I tell Lemonhon that this guy built a mannequin out of dead animals and then ripped open a portal in the rot and lit a little bit of that weird shit that lives over there into the material to animate his little death puppet, which means he likely made some kind of deal, like you serve me for a week, then you're free to go do whatever you want and the material, which means the city is actually in for some bad luck soon because that fucking thing is still out there, and that's your fault. You know that people you claim to protect are gonna die anyway. He tells me about the Gaddesist, and I tell him, thanks, buddy, you'll be whissed off soon enough. Don't worry about the slow disintegration of what's left in your mind, all part of the process. I don't tell them about the angels that are going to be eating his soul, same as Maggote to corpse. I just pop back over to my body. Low Sun, Malice are playing dice. Sannie is talking to their rats. I guess you could say, talking to themselves. I tell them what's up, and Sannie's like, oh weird, dead bird creature rats can track that. Off we go, and you know where we went because you tracked us. Ave only knows how you bastards are good at tracking people. I'll give you that. All the way through p Number South, around Triumph Plaza down to the South Docks, the rain picked up and didn't help our mood, and it took us half the night to get where we were going, to a little run down shack up against a peer with someone muttering insighed. So we're all set to kick in the door. I've got a bomb out and everything, cigarette lit and the holder in my mouth. When Malice says, you, guys, I don't think this is how we should approach this situation. And if Malice doesn't think direct physical confrontation is the best solution, then it means a really not the right solution, because she solves almost everything with silence. Soon we scoot on over in the dark under the pier and back out comes the candles and the chalk and the rope, and I'm off to the ether for a second time that night. You know how tiring. That is whatever, hop on into the shack. There's this guy, there's the demon. They're talking. Demons talk weird. Imagine like eight people talking at once, saying almost the same thing but not quite. But the core of it is pretty banal. The getes sist's a spy for her, is going to sell them the elbow guard. That's it. Then the demon says there's someone outside, and the two rush out the door, and I turn around to rush back in my body, but I don't even make it through the wall before I black out. And guess where I wake up? Here with you? Alecti was silent for a while after telling her story, waiting for the lawman to say something or react in any way. He didn't. A fear came over her for the first time. She was certain that whatever else, her friends were out there in the city looking for her, tracking the carriage. They would call in some favors, and any minute now a crew on dog's wheels were going to roll up, engines roaring, and Malice was going to use that big gun of hers to set her free. She just thought it would have happened by now. She hadn't figured she'd reach the end of this story. The cop must have been able to see her confidence drain away, because a smile slowly worked its way across his face. She couldn't give up, not on her friends. Yeah, they'd let her get captured in the first place, but they must have been busy dealing with the spy and his demon. Any minute now, she sighed, leaned her head against the window as rain dropped down on her cheek. Next time, she was going to go to the party alone, and the only call to adventure she was going to answer was the adventure of getting laid or maybe, And she knew she was getting real desperate and sad when her mind went into this the darkest of corners. Maybe she should ask Losa back out. Yeah, they hadn't been good for each other, but whoever was given up? Then the lawman finally asked. She sat upright and glared. The carriage slowed to a halt. Looks like we're here, he said. Then blessedly, a foot long steel bolt shot through the sidewall of the carriage and impaled the man through the chest, pinning him to the firewall. Blood came to his mouth, dripping into his gray beard, and he looked down with surprise and horror. A scream broke through sudden and shocking silence. ELECTI had heard that scream before. That was the scream of a man covered in rats. Then the scream stopped, replaced with a gurgling. That was the noise of a throat cut with a scalpel. The driver, you do love me, ELECTI said, as the door to the carriage was wrenched off its hinges. What, Malice asked, tossing the steel door aside. Los and Sanny peered in from behind her. I said, what took you so long? ELECTI lied, Oh, Malice said, looking genuinely Contrite. The demon and the spy slowed us down. They got away too with the elbow guard. Losa stepped into the carriage, pulled out a scalpel and picked the handcuffs open. Thank you, ELECTI whispered into Losa's ear, where the others couldn't hear it. Fuck I was so scared, me too, Losa whispered. All I could think was that what if I never saw you again? I'm sorry we let them get you. They met eyes for half a moment, then drifted away. All right, you dumb bitches, ELECTI said, standing up glancing over quickly at the still dying cop on the bench across from her. Let's go steal back in artifact. That's the end of the story.
Speaker 1: That was fun.
Speaker 2: Thanks. I picked you because I think you're the only person I know who will know if I pronounced a gape orthelima right or wrong.
Speaker 1: You did not pronounce thelima right, But that's okay.
Speaker 2: Thelima is that the lima?
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, okay, But all the characters do sound like people I have noted my life. Yeah, ah, I see, I see what Margaret's pulling from here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, even just the way they talk it like, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: You're you're obviously cofeeing someone's very specific speech patterns. Yeah, totally, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Oh that was fun. The wordflow was very nice to listen to.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Yeah, it was fun to do the like I tried writing. It's actually very hard to write D and D style campaign things like adventures, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, and you know it'll never it's always sort of a compromises. It's just a different way of storytelling, and so I really like doing it at first person so that I could be like a little bit more free form. Also, Sophie has been asking me to do a love story with this with this show for a while, and I've been struggling to find a good love story, and so that's part of why I chose this one. Okay, okay, Sophie, this is the this is the love story that you asked for.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was quite fun. I no it. It really did sound like someone's like someone like a very specific person's like a conversational flow. Yeah, either either with them just like talking to themselves or just like going on like a mini rant. They just like keep talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, that's that's kind of how someone sounds. But they just like keep just like keep going.
Speaker 2: Well, and in this case, it's like she thinks that she's going to get interrupted any second, and then she's like, yeah, yeah, fuck, why am I still going? Like yeah, and probably like slowly becoming aware that talking to the cop might not have been the right move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, this was this was perhaps a mistake. Yeah, ah, yeah, that was that was quite fun. The uh, the rat person kind of terrifies me, but that's fine.
Speaker 2: Well, if you want to hear Jamie Loftis play a rat King character Jamie loftis is on If you search for number City on YouTube, you'll find an example play of an adventure where one of the other co writers of the game inman runs a game for us. And I actually don't even remember what my character is, but I remember that Jamie's character is a rat king.
Speaker 1: I do remember a while ago Jamie getting really into the rat king. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, that's a that's a that's a solid Jamie character.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Malice is interesting to me as well.
Speaker 2: I malice is I've used that name for characters before. I played an Orc labor thug and a Dungeons and Dragons campaign where I like ran around with a mall and tried to convince people to join industrial unionism, much to the rest of no one else who was playing that campaign with me was trying to make it about a destroy union. What the fuck are you doing? We're trying to play a game. Yeah, I'm like, why are you like this? Yeah, it's more fun this way, but uh yeah.
Speaker 1: All of all of the dog girl names were way way more pretty than most of the dog girls I have met, And it's like, what was it was like it was like like Petunia or something. What was carburetor is the least carburetor makes sense? Yeah, tracks wrench is okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The third one specifically was was much much Patunia, much too pretty for yeah, for a dog girl. In my experience, that's fine. As a dog girl appreciator, that is that, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, so dog girls are different than you're probably perceiving dog girls. It's not a fir.
Speaker 1: No no no by your version of dog girls is pretty spot on. Actually, okay, okay, in this case, they're squad or bikers. Yeah yeah, no, yep, yeah yeah, all right, you got it, you got it, all right, all right. Most of the anarchist dog girls I have I have met.
Speaker 2: Yes, fair enough. I don't even remember where that name comes from, like, because there was some of these characters have existed as concepts for like ten years before I started writing it as a role playing game, you know, and I was like writing these like different gangs in this city, and it was just going to be this novel I was like plotting out. And so it's funny because some of the styles of characters I remember where they came from. Not all of them were by me. The world soon became a much more open thing with other designers, but dog Girl was one of the original characters, and I just like, don't I have no fucking clue where I came up with that name.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of Diesel Pug before, but I like the idea.
Speaker 2: Well, so I started writing this. My deepest, darkest secret is that I used to run a magazine called Steampunk Magazine. Oh oh, And when I first started writing this, it was kind of my like fuck you to steampunk. It was my like, this could have been a beautiful, weird anti colonial thing, like with fiction set during a really interesting time period where capitalism and the distrialization were really doing their thing, you know, to.
Speaker 1: The people with top hats and mice inside pulling gears levers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. It was like, instead, one of the most obnoxious. There's many, many wonderful people that I met through that subculture, but like it, it didn't go in ways that I found interesting, and so I actually started writing it as this kind of like steampunk world. And then this publisher reached out to me and was like, hey, do you want to write a role playing game world that I've been writing the mechanics for, And I was like, yeah, totally. And so he hired me to write this world. And he was like, I want to write a steampunk world. And I was like, can it be a fuck you to steampunk world? Can it be a this is what it should have been world? And he was like, yeah, okay, fine, And so this was my like fuck you, I quit. This is what it should have been that I started in like twenty twelve or something like that. Okay, And then and then that publisher just literally disappeared, just like they had a successful kickstarter for some other game and then never finished that game and then.
Speaker 1: Disappeared many such cases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so then I was just left with this orphan world without a role playing game system. And then eventually I brought on some other people or some of my friends offered to help me basically, and started making it this new thing. And then I was like, I have no allegiance to setting this in the equivalent of the early nineteenth century, And so now it has more of like the diesel punk vibe, is more of like World War One vibe in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: I think some of it also feels like a world that we could slide into. Yeah, Like it's not even just a past thing. It's like, what if our world goes through a sort of collapse, but people still use diesel, but now diesel's like the OA, like most other technology has now become not like functioning, Yeah, but the diesel has remained like that is kind of also what it reminded me as it's like it's like we're like sliding back in time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although but in this particular world, they actually still use steam boilers and not diesel engines, but the vibe is more diesel punk. Okay, okay, there's like radio and electricity, but they haven't figured out the diesel engine. Interesting because most places actually use magic more than technology anyway, because you can enslave angels in this world, you.
Speaker 1: Know, many many such cases.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll send you on a little treasure hunt. Yeah, that's a that's a that's a little John d joke. Well, I did like the ether. That was that was fun. That was fun. The demon I felt was probably appropriately grotesque.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some I can't remember the name of the word for that particular demon, a stole us. I think that the people who wrote up the demons had a lot of fun with them. I bet, I bet well that does it for book club this week. If you liked the number City, you can get it. There's a print book and an ebook, and we finally started mailing it out to the backers. It's back from the printer and it's off in the mail towards people. If you backed it last summer, thank you very much, and your book will be in the mail shortly if it is not already, and you can order it through Tangled Wilderness. Strangers in Entangled Wilderness is a publishing collective that I'm part of, and eventually it'll be available through other distributors and stuff. But we are We're used to printing and distributing books. But every every creative feel has entirely different distribution systems. And like, if you want to make a board game, you're dealing with an entirely different world than if you make a tabletop role playing game. Then if you make a legally distinct from chooser and adventure book, then if you, huh, it's very annoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah that sounds that sounds complicated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But and if you but once.
Speaker 1: There's a novella on the way, there is.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what's going to be about you. I have some idea of what it's going to be about yet but not totally. Might might be these characters, might be other ones. I might write something that's just like weird, sad nineteenth century nihilist literature, but said in this world without like much in the way.
Speaker 1: Of an adventure at all. I mean, nineteenth century nihilist literature is very different than modern nihlist literature. Yes, okay, So like you mean actually nineteenth century nihlist literacy. Yeah yeah, like like Russian, like like Russian nihlist literature.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, like basically social democrats, social democrats, yeah, yes, a fascinating politics. Yeah. The eighteen sixties when people, when boys with log hair, wanted to overthrow society much like the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 1: Well, I certainly look forward to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh shit, now I might be stuck with that. Well, if you want to hear more of Gear, you can hear Gear on It could happen here, which might be where you're listening to this anyway. And if you want to hear more of me, you can hear me on whatever. My cool Zone media show is called Cool People.
Speaker 1: With People Stuff Who did Cool Stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, in which I talk about the nihilist from the eighteen sixties and one of the first episodes. You can go back in this spice and we'll see you all next week. And in the meantime, I don't have a catchphrase to sign off with.
Speaker 1: Bye, don't talk to cops, Watch out for the Ether.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could Happen here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at coolzonmedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.