Speaker 1: Hello, welcome to a special edition of The Credit Edge. My name is James Crombie. I'm a senior editor at Bloomberg. We're joined today by Rob Schiffman, who covers the tech sector for Bloomberg Intelligence. How are you doing, Rob?
Speaker 2: Fantastic?
Speaker 1: James also delighted to have George Ferguson, who covers aerospace, defense and airlines with BI.
Speaker 2: How's it going, George, very well, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Great to have you both here. We are here to discuss SpaceX, the big splashy markets story of the summer, from a record breaking eighty six billion dollar IPO to a poorly performing twenty five billion dollar bond deal. Between us three, we probably have about one hundred years of market experience, but none of us have seen anything like it. They'll need to raise a huge amount of capital to fund some very lofty ambitions. Let me read you a little bit of the IPO road show notes, in which SpaceX says its mission is quote to build the systems and technologies necessary to make life multiplanetary, to understand the true nature of the universe, and to extend the light of consciousness to the stars. The Elon Musk Company also goes on to say that quote AI's ability to revolutionize human potential is directly dependent on meeting exponentially increasing resource demands. So before we get to what this all means for credit markets, I want to ask you both, what is SpaceX. Is it a rocket company? Is it a telecoms provider? Or is it an artificial intelligence play? Can we start with you, George?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: I think it is a broadband Internet provider from low ear satellites that is migrating into an AI company. And you know that's sort of where all the dreams and valuations are based on that AI company. Rockets just facilitate that vision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with George.
Speaker 3: This company is one that's in transition. What it looks like today is probably nothing like it's going to look like in the next five years, and I can only imagine what it's going to look like in the next ten years. But I do agree with George. You know, they're starting off on the back of a recurring satellite beta business that has a recurring and somewhat growing revenue stream that they're going to be able to use to piggyback on to help pay for this AI build out. Both I think terrestrial and eventually extra terrestrial.
Speaker 1: And how much do we think it's actually worth. It went above two point six trillion dollars at one point, giving it the same market cap as Amazon, the fifth biggest company in the world. Now it's worth just over to trillion, which by the way, is about the size of the GDP of Spain. How much do we really think it should be valued at or is it just a guess at the stage?
Speaker 3: I'm happy to tell you some of the metrics we pulled together, right, was that if you believe in the full growth story, go from I think it's what twenty billion dollars in revenue today to one hundred and sixty billion and twenty thirty, we still find a company that is valued sort of well above the other big tech companies like Microsoft, Google, Made Amazon. So I mean, I think you got to get to twenty thirty, and you got to beat the plans that we have in front of us from SpaceX or to even start to approach the valuation of those other big integrators, and so to us it looks pretty rich today. Listen from a credit perspective, I think it's a bit of a different story. I don't really care if it's worth a trillion dollars or two trillion or three trillion dollars, the equity cushion is enormous, and the capability to tap into that equity at some point if they need to finance a buildout is very likely going to be there. I do think it hurts if the stock goes down. People are concerned about future cash flows their ability to execute. But regardless of the ultimate multiple, there's such a big cushion here. I think it supports their investment grade ratings and their financing plans over the next handful of years.
Speaker 1: And know they actually earning money, George, I mean, how do they actually make money at this point?
Speaker 3: So in twenty twenty five, No, right now, the only money making division in the business is the connectivity business, and that's the satellite business. Right it's again lower to orbit broadband and then direct to sell kind of products. I think it's just the broadband that makes money. We still think that come twenty thirty that business, the connectivity business, will be the one that's probably bringing in the majority of the profits. I think we're up sort of in the sort of maybe fifteen billionaires level on profits from that at the end of the next five years, we think that the AI business, and I should say my colleagues man Deep Singh tech analyst, and John Butler or the connectivity analysts. They put together the model. So it's not just an aerospace guy speaking at the end of twenty thirty Man Deep thinks there's a small profit like half a billion or less on the AI business and the rocket business. We think you could be break even maybe a little bit of loss. The rocket business is a little bit peculiar here because what they do in the rocket business is if they're shooting something for a company inside SpaceX, the rocket business doesn't recognize any revenue or any profit or any expenses. They just take the cost of the rocket shot and they put it on the balance sheet of again, either the connectivity business, which is where it's going now, or the AI business, and they'd appreciate that over the useful left of the asset. So I don't think we have a full value in the rocket business, but I still think it's clear the value right now is in that connectivity business, and it's and the dream is sold on the value that AI business.
Speaker 1: So what's the reason to get involved now as an investor? On the equity side. I mean, you know, the huge amount could happen in the next four years. And this is stuff that we've never seen before. You know, they're talking about building colonies on Mars, So why jump in now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, I mean I think I think you got to sort of you got to look past the colony of Mars. That's sort of the big, big, long term vision. Like I think SpaceX and Elon Musk are going the right direction. And the right direction probably is data centers work better in space. There's a lot of technology to get around to get that to work, you know, and in the data center area, you know, generating power in orbit and cooling in orbit. I hear it's not as easy as we might all think. I could tell you from the aerospace side they need bigger rockets, which are building they call starship. But if you I mean, I think the direction generally is correct for SpaceX, and I think Elon Musk has proven his ability to execute in the past, right. And so if you look at Test, it's the only new car company you'd have in the US, all the new car company you've had and probably I don't know, a century maybe right, And so he has a way of bringing new technology to the four and being successful in it. There are heavy, heavy risks, but I take again, I the reason you get involved now despite our concerns about valuations and technology risks, would be his ability to execute in the past. And there's a couple of things to pull apart there. One is Elon Musk himself just pulls at different emotions for people, and I think as a credit analyst, I tried to lock that out and just think about the ability to generate cash over time. And if you start talking about profitability, well, none of the hyperscalers are profitable at this moment. Now, the double a's and triple a's that are spending one hundred and fifty two hundred billion, you know, we think Alphabet might spend three hundred billion of CAPEX next year, are going to make any money for the next few years. And quite frankly, they're going to have meaningfully greater negative free cash will, I think than a name like SpaceX is going to have. And that's why they've been borrowing hundreds of billions of dollars of debt. Relative to SpaceX is puny twenty five billion dollar debt deal. So that's one thing, and then two is you know, extrapolating on some of the verbiage in the S one. I sort of get it, and it seems like, you know, this stuff is a little bit craziness. But the reality is the rating agencies are not looking at any of that sort of language that you brought up in terms of building out Mars or the Moon in terms of credit ratings. They recognize that's what some of the company's long term goals and what must vision may be. But when it comes down to financial models and how they're thinking about what money is going to be spent and what it's going to be spent on, it's going to be much more on traditional connectivity and AI businesses, even from the terrestrial side versus the extraterrestrial side. So I think we have to stop talking a little bit about you know, this out of this world style language and just think about what is more reality versus what this longer term vision of extra planetary views are, because it just doesn't come into playing the models these days. And I do think that if this company is successful, which I think it's going to be, that you know, maybe come twenty thirty or twenty thirty five, they're going to have so much cash they're going to be able to send somebody to whatever planet or solar system or galaxy they want.
Speaker 1: I do want to come back to the investment grade rating. But George, you mentioned Elon Musk a few times, and so did you Rob. So is there a key person risk in this investment thesis? I mean, what happens if Elon walks or something else happens to Elon and we're left with different management, different leadership.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think I think it looks materially different that way, right. I think absolutely there's a big vision by Elon that I think I think that helps him, that helps him raise money, ups drive the company forward, vote focus in the technology. I would also point out that he owns a majority of the B shares. There's two there's two share classes in this Actually there's multiple share classes, but right now issued there are.
Speaker 2: Two a's and b's.
Speaker 3: Bees have ten votes apiece, Ace have one vote a piece. He has the majority bes, he controls the company. So you're absolutely on an Elon Musk trip. But again, I think, do you think his vision and his ability to raise money is a large portion of this company right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I listen.
Speaker 3: Everyone agrees on this right Elon Musk is SpaceX, So there's a huge risk there, and the rating agencies have actually pointed this out in terms of governance. When you've got one person effectively not just in control from an ideal perspective, but in control from a voting perspective, it raises issues. I think the credit ratings would be even higher if this was a just a standard CEO and board. S and P is rated one notch lower than the other rating agencies, and they specifically brought up governance as the reason why they were notch lower. I'm less worried about governance, to be honest, because I think it's about his vision. But when you have one man controlling really everything, if something goes wrong with that one man, there's issues. That being said, I think it would become a much more conservative business without him, credit would probably still be fine.
Speaker 2: I think the.
Speaker 3: Equity would be the area where people would be more concerned than the credit side.
Speaker 1: On the IG racing, though, I'm wondering how anyone Moody's, S and P, fish anyone comes up with an investment grade racing how they even can make that determination given the history, given the dream that is out there. But the market also seems to disagree in that. You know, when when they price they widen out a lot, they're they're they're widening according to the analysis that I've seen, to the extent that they don't even look like triple B minus. I know this is a very hard company to comp but but how do you see that Robinson's of the trading after they actually sold the bones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I, sir, would beg to differ with most of that. So listen, what makes an investment grade company investment grade ratings? So three major rating agencies EA A one, triple B, triple B plus. So if this is not on the borderline of non investment grade, you know it's not a junk company. Doesn't look like a junk company to me. I don't think it's gonna be anywhere near junk anytime soon. Also, all through rating agencies have stable outlooks. You know, they've also put their necks out on the line to see. To see ratings change in any short time period would be an absolute shock. You know, this is as high profile as you get, and I think they these ratings in place with very low probability they're going to change anytime soon. So you know what makes up these ratings and how do you get comfortable with an investment grade rating? Well, listen, liquidity goes a long way, right. They, as you said, they raised a chunk of money via their IPO and this bondie originally was supposed to be twenty billion, but it was upsized to twenty five because demand was nearly ninety billion. So they're sitting on over one hundred billion dollars of cash right now, and they've committed to keeping at least twenty five billion of cash on the books, and their revolver undrawn at five billion dollars. So massive liquidity. And you know, George can walk you through what he thinks is going to be their negative free cash over the next few years. But at least over the next couple of years, I think they don't even have to raise another penny and can afford their buildout plans. So on top of having massive liquidity, the company is also you know, relatively low amounts of debt. You know, if you add in some sell lease back debt, which is probably just under ten billion dollars, you know, they have thirty five odd billion dollars of non adjusted debt, and they're committing to a two to three times leverage target. Much much of their capital expenditures are discretionary, so if things are working, they can pour more fuel onto the fire. If they're not, they could pull back. If capital markets get weaker, they can slow down. But this leverage target is going to be dependent upon how they execute. So as EBITDAD grows, they can borrow more money. And if EBADOD does grow, there's going to be more bond older demand because they're going to say that this is working. So you know, just real quickly on the bond deal. You know, I let me tell you something from what I see around here. You know, we work at a news you know, a technology firm that does a lot of news and research, but bad news cells. And it's very easy to write really bad news articles on companies like this when you've got you know, three days of trading history.
Speaker 2: So we did.
Speaker 3: Why now the first few days, you know, we're tighter today by about a nickel across the board, So it was it was a little bit weak on the break. You know, hedge funds, we're trying to make quick money. It's not so different that what happened with the IPO. The stock shot up to what, George, over two hundred bucks right and we're sitting at one point fifty right now. So you know, you can't make money every single day in these credit markets. Last week, this last month was one of the worst months for AI and think Microsoft lost over five hundred billion dollars and we're not really talking about it. It's because the safe SpaceX was in the news this week. So I actually think that, you know, there's a fair amount of confidence there's a lot of money on the sidelines that would be be willing to lend to SpaceX over time. And again, I think as they grow into their business, people get more comfortable with the credit profile and get over the sort of this shock that you have a company that's negative free cash flow but investment grade and sort of just move on to Wow, I can't believe how much they're revenues in EBITDAU grew last quarter.
Speaker 1: George, any thought from your side, Yeah, I mean I think that, you know, as Rob said, there's a lot of a lot of this cash already sitting in the balance that they'll start to invest.
Speaker 3: I think there's already been some nice successes. They've built two data centers, Colossus one and Colossus two. They built them pretty quickly. They use brown fields instead of green fields, save them a lot of time. Maybe it saves some money they're leasing out capacity in those I think it shows SpaceX's willingness to look at things in a different light, you know, not say that you need a brand new data center which takes a longer period of time to put together, then again sort of existing facility. And I think, as Rob points out, there's a lot of companies that are investing in the same space, the other hyperscalers Microsoft and and Amazon and Google and Meta and so they're bringing cash from other businesses that are, you know, a pretty successful in order to use it here. I mean Elan Musk is a little bit of a you know that he's more of the startup. He doesn't have that sort of big money maker, uh to to dig into the pot to build out. Perhaps that means they'll be a little more judicious and how they how.
Speaker 2: They build out.
Speaker 3: And at the end of the day, again, I think we're it's about AI. If AI is successful, if AI works, I guess is this company we'll have a nice place in that in that industry, in that business, and will do well.
Speaker 2: So I think there's a bit of bigger risk there.
Speaker 3: So yes, George before about raw Lal but and you just brought up like how poorly it seems like these bonds are performing well. This name is rated higher than Oracle, which I know is also sort of then how to favor it's still a big software company, but you know, now it's a new hyperscaler, but it's still trades inside of where Oracle trades, and and part of the reason why people might be attracted SpaceX is that this is the tightest that investment grade and high yield bonds have traded in something like the last twenty years. So clients investors need incremental yield. SpaceX is trading, you know, one hundred beeps wider than many of its investment grade peers. It's still trading tighter than Oracle, which is which is a notch lower. But a lot of the risks are built into this name. Now again it's trading like an investment grade name. It's trading like a mid to maybe lowers triple B versus high a solid high triple B. Like it's rated. But if you believe there there is the potential growth that exists from this AI business, and that they can fund it over time, that there's a lot of potential for excess bond returns relative to triple B, relative to much higher quality double A and triple A tech hyperscaling names. If you also think about supply, you know, remember some of these other names, you know, Alphabet and Amazon. They're coming with fifty billion at a time in multiple currencies. It seems never ending. This was a twenty five billion dollar deal. I don't think they're going to be back this year. They're probably going to be back next year. But if you think about these guys having an issue twenty five billion dollars a year for the next you know, two, three, four years, and then I agree with George that you know, these guys could raise one hundred billion dollars a debt by twenty thirty. I think they can do it because Ebadat can grow up and can grow as well. I think demand will be there because it's not in a relative scale of things. You know, we think about twenty five billion dollar deals today, they're not that big. They're just not They're big, but they're not that big. Relative to the world we grew up in, you know, one hundred years ago, where if you did a two billion dollar deal it was big.
Speaker 1: Definitely, and uses want liquidity, they want variety, They want to see relative value opportunities across the curve. But how has it affected the tech sector rub or ig overall? Because spreads are widening out. Is that a result of all of this tech issuance? Do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, in general tech is wider from a year ago, and it's just because there's been so much supply. There really hasn't been any ratings risk you know, there haven't been any downgrades. Outlooks across the border generally stable, particularly for the Mount rushmoor'es of of the hyperscalers. So we have seen a little bit of weakness.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Historically investment Grede Technology traded you know, ten fifteen basis points through where the corporate the Bloomberg Corporate Index traded, you know, and now we're about a nickel wider. And that's understandable. It's it's it's again, it's not because credit is any weaker. There are there are concerns that this is good money after bad but it's not a credit quality issue, it's just a technical issue. What's starting to help is that there's been a lot of private deals which have offloaded a lot of the dollars that would have come to the public US dollar markets, and there's been this enormous demand across currencies, whether it's you know, the largest Canadian deals, or euro deals, or Yen deals or Swiss francs. I think you're going to see a lot of all of those going forward. It's going to create mild technical pressure on the space. But again, within the context of historical spreads, we're still really tight. So if you were ever thinking about, hey, I'm going to spend five trillion dollars building a brand new business and no one knows if it's ever going to work or pay off, and we don't know what the rois are, you know this is the time to do it.
Speaker 1: Is there a natural bid developing from the fact that they're included in indexes, George, you know that you have to buy it because you're tracking an index.
Speaker 2: I think it's coming right.
Speaker 3: I think they're going to get pulled into the NASDAC and so they've got some of that nowral bid. I'm not sure if it's gonna if it's gonna move this stock as aggressively as people might hope, And then I think they've still got a still much bigger way to get into the S and P. But they've got some some tail in there.
Speaker 1: A number of people of also commented that if you want to participate in these sorts of AI futuristic stories, you're better off doing it on the equity side. That you know, you really are capped to one hundred on the credit so why bother? Why not just get into the acting. And I'm interested in both of you debating that subject fiercely between you, which is better the equity or the or the debt.
Speaker 3: I think it's a dumb argument. I'm sorry I've heard this so many times the last couple of weeks. This is the history of the fixed income markets, right, You've always been able only to get back coupon and par You can make an argument for any name there should not be a corporate debt market because everyone should just invest in the equity. And there's there's reasons here. You you get decent carry right, So on SpaceX, if you're earning six percent a year, you're actually getting paid six percent a year. You know, they don't pay dividend, they're not going to buy back any shares for years, so you get paid for risk by your spread and or your your total yield. So I just think that, you know, because AI has so much theoretical upside, that's why people are bringing this up because if this stuff does work, you know, and you know SpaceX has a two trillion dollar equity value today, who knows, maybe it's going to be ten trillion dollars in five years and you're still only be collecting your six percent. But I think you're downside risk for credit, whether it's any of the double A hyperscalers or the triple B names. I think the type of volatility that you're going to see from the credit markets is still going to be dramatically lower than what you're going to see in equities. Right, you didn't see Microsoft bonds lose five one hundred billion dollars of value this month, It didn't move at all, but you saw that that equity drop. So you know, it's only times when you see a bond deal widen, you know, ten or fifteen basis points off the break that people start bringing this up. But they tend to forget like, oh, what what has history taught us before? And that that you know, one one tick does not a pattern make do you agread George?
Speaker 2: So I guess I'm I'm going to fracture down the line that you know.
Speaker 3: I work on equities most of the day, so we're going to fracture across the lines that we work on. I think, yeah, I think this is a big text story, a big dream story, like I said, And so I think that getting paid six percent it's okay. I understand though. I used to work in credit markets, used to work at Blackrock and Meryl where I was putting leverage loan money, you know, to work and things like that. So I guess you you play in the market that you have your mandate for. But to me, the upside for the equity should be a heck of a lot higher obviously than six percent. All that said, though, again the valuation looks pretty rich to us out of the box.
Speaker 2: And so I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe Rob's right, maybe it's better to be in on the dead side. But I think this is you're playing for domination in spacelift. They already the dominator in Spacelift. You're you're buying into being the lead AI company, and I think you're already it's already the lead low Earth orbit communication provider, and so to me, I think you got to get double digit returns for something like that, and so well into double digits. So to me, the way to play it is to be on the equity side. Maybe you don't put all your money in it, but I think that the equity side is the way to play, and I don't necessarily disagree. Listen, I am a big AI fan. I think every single data point that we've seen points to all this money that being spent is is going to earn a return that's even greater than what the market's anticipating right now. So obviously the equity is going to benefit the most. I'm just saying, though, you know, there's a huge population that needs to invest in fixed income markets and owning solid, stable, high growth triple B names that trade one hundred basis points wide, to peers, is a way to help perform on a relative basis. So we can't we can't have our cake and eat it too. We can't say that AI risk is so great and none of this is going to work, and they're spending too much money. Let's just down the equity because there's more upside, and then forget, oh, bonds are reasonably stable, they're not nearly as volatile. It's a it's lower risk, lower return, but don't forget the lower risk side. But again, if I, you know, if I had my own dollar to invest, yeah, the equities, I think, you know, I don't cover these equities. I don't know what the pe s should be. But I just know I think all the numbers are going up, and they're going up by a lot, and they're going to go up, I think more than what consensus.
Speaker 2: Is looking at.
Speaker 1: Still, we don't know, Himan. There's so much untested and so much unchasted water out there that you know, and I uh, as you know, rob to the side of pessimism. But just let me point you to a Bank for International Settlements report just put out an annual report listing the threats to the global economy. Among them, AI quote, disappointment in returns could trigger a sudden pullback in financing and turn the capex boom into a protracted investment bust with potential knock on effects on financial conditions. That's what the BIS says. They pinpoint. The circular financing deals is an issue. For example, chip makers and hyperscalers taking stakes in AI labs or neo cloud providers who in turn commit to multi year purchase of chips or computing power. There are a lot of things that they are raising that you know, when we talk to people in the market, they also are concerned about what for you are the big risks ahead. Let's start with George.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think, I mean, you're touched on it. Right.
Speaker 3: It feels like it's a bit circular inside this business now, right, the chip making AI business. It feels like, you know, guys are buying the chips, right, and then they're putting in the data centers, and they're trying to get their data centers to learn faster and therefore think for all of us. That's kind of a simplistic way I think about this whole thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll get a little bit philosophical here and just say I'm not sure that I'm ready to live in a world where a computer is smarter than me, or maybe that's not that hard. Maybe the combined intelligence of the world that we need computers to think for us.
Speaker 2: But there's a lot of investment going.
Speaker 3: Into this, and the you know in the view that you know, artificial intelligence is really going to come up the curve and really be the best cutting edge, you know, kind of kind of way to tackle problems. And I still still think the human mind is amazingly intelligent and elegant, and I'm not sure I'm ready to live in that world.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. I think that's the big risk I do.
Speaker 3: I do wonder if it feels like we're all going the same direction, we're all buying from each other, We're all on one side of the boat. I kind of worry when Eric gets in one side of the boat. I think a Gentakai is here to stay and it's only going to get bigger, and its use cases are going to be extrapolated. Every business is going to be using as fast as they can. The only reason why we can't do more is because the infrastructure is not there yet, the workflows are not there yet. But it's happening. Listen, the world is changing. You got to you got to think about how we're going to change along with it. And people always want to the good old days is the best way how things work. And this is not happening, and the world is sort of moving forward. There are a lot of risks, though. The biggest risk that I see is access to capital. It's it's not the demand side. I do think that the circular financing is a cool, interesting point, and it is happening. But that's just because you know, know, it's a little bit of robin hood, you know, a little bit taken from those that do have cash flow to fund the ones that don't have cash flow that eventually will have cashflow and they'll be able to pay back. The real risk though, is that you know, you know, we sort of pooh pooh, like, oh, you can only earn six percent, why do you care? Well, that's the beauty is that if you borrow long dated money it's six percent, you want to do that all day long to fund your negative free cash flow. But what happens if that's eight percent or ten percent and you need another you know, if we think SpaceX needs another seventy five billion, or Alphabet needs another one hundred and fifty billion. Quite frankly, if you look at SMP's report, they're projecting SpaceX is having as much as two hundred and fifty billion dollars a debt.
Speaker 2: So it's like, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think they're going to get there, but let me tell you something that they're not going to get there in an eight percent or ten percent yield environment. So whatever goes wrong with the world that pushes yields higher is going to contract capital. And this, this this AI boom has been built on access to low cost capital. It's required, and it's going to need to be required over the next you know, at least three years at least, if not longer. So that that's the biggest thing that I worry about. The second thing I worry about is I'm just wrong and that the demand for AI is not anywhere near what we thought. And if that's the case, you know, it's the lower down the credit scales names that are going to suffer. It's going to be the SpaceX's, Oracles, Core weaves, those like the Metas alphabets, Amazon's, Microsoft's. You know, what if if they wasted you know, five hundred billion dollars on Capex, you know, the equities will take it on the chin. They'll lose another thirty percent. The credit's going to be fine. You know, does it really make a difference if you're a double A plus and you get downgraded to double A minus, then it doesn't matter. So the same way equity has that most upside, it has the most downside. So it's just if to and is slower, we've seen. You know, this is such a show me environment that you know, somebody misses their their cloud or AI revenues. But you know, by one hundred basis points or fifty basis points is stock cells off ten percent. So if you can't borrow and you can't fund yourself, that becomes an issue. The circular financing thing, to me is actually a positive because there's pockets of capital that you can grab that you don't have to rely on the capital markets for. So that's that's a good thing versus a bad thing. But if you really think it's just a house of cards right now, you're in the minority.
Speaker 2: You know, And a.
Speaker 3: Lot of the stories that we get reading. You know, I read that article over the weekend, James, that you brought up. Yeah, I just think bad news sales. It's it's got a lot of publicity when you say the sky is falling, but you know, the sky has not fallen. We had the same conversation twelve months ago, nine months ago, six months ago, three months ago, and valuations have held up pretty well, both in credit and equity. The other thing I might just add, there's don't know if so much as the sky is falling, is there can be over investment. There often is, especially in the tech world, and so sometimes it takes a little while for things to catch up, and so we overinvest things fought, prices fall off for the assets.
Speaker 2: They're not as valuable as we thought they were, and it takes a.
Speaker 3: Little time to catch up to valuations, and usually we pick up that tech and later on it drives forward. But there are periods of overinvestment in investing in cycles. Yeah, you're right, and listen the couple of the other things they'll remember, Like people just think about the worst case scenarios. They think about the dot com bubble, where you know, companies went from sky high valuations to zeros. Those were different businesses. Those were basing valuations on eyeballs or clicks and not on revenue or cash flow. So now we have the most of the big strong companies that are generating lots of revenues, not necessarily free cash flow, but lots of Ebitah from other businesses, so they're real businesses. And then you look at two thousand and eight, where you know, we had to collapse of this financial system because it was way over levered, and we don't have that now, even a name like SpaceX, we're talking about a target of two to three times leverage. So the not the absolute numbers are big. You know, if you look at the other hyperscalers that are borrowing so much, you know, their leverage on a on a net basis is basically zero and on a gross basis is still only like one times. So we're not in an over levered scenario. But George, you are spot on right. Sometimes you too overspend.
Speaker 2: You see, you.
Speaker 3: Know, the the pot at the end of the rainbow, and it's you know, not filled with as much gold. And again I really think that, you know, it's going to take a couple of years for us to figure that out. I think the biggest risks though on the equity side and less so on the credit side.
Speaker 1: It's agreed to keep us talking and writing all day long until it replaces us. Great stuff, Rob Schiffman and George Ferguson with Bloomberg Intelligence. Thank you so much for joining us on the Credit Edge.
Speaker 2: Thanks James, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Read more analysis all of Robin George's great work on the Bloomberg Terminal. Bloomberg Intelligence is part of our research department, with five hundred analyst and strategists working across all markets. Coverage includes over two thousand equities and credits and outlooks on more than ninety industries and one hundred market indices, currencies and commodities. Please do subscribe to the Credit Edge wherever you get your podcasts. We're on Apple, Spotify, and all other good podcast providers, including the Bloomberg Terminal at b pod Go. Give us a review, tell your friends, or email Meet direct directly at jcromby eight at Bloomberg dot net. I'm James Crombie. It's been a pleasure having you join us again. Next time on the Credit Edge.