Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio and.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Coast to Coast George Norie with your producer Paul Jeffrey David's has been with us. Has been a pioneer and cutting edge popular culture technology for decades. He's been a UFO witness who was presented at major UFO conferences worldwide. He's got several books out, including Growing Up Sci Fi and Garrett Park and he's working on a film. Paul, welcome back.
Speaker 3: Have you been George? Life is great and it's good to hear from you.
Speaker 4: Thanks for inviting, and your health is good. Everything's good.
Speaker 3: Couldn't be better.
Speaker 4: Excellent.
Speaker 2: Tell me about this film I'm hearing so much buzz about.
Speaker 3: Well, it's actually a series, not just one film, and it's on Amazon Prime Video. It's called The Naughty Adventures of Scarlett May Blossom and it's based on a book. It's nine episodes. It's a comedy. You know, I think it's never the wrong time to have laughter in our world. Everything is so depressing so much of the time. This thing is designed to make people hooton holler, and the thing that's unique about it is that it's the first time in history that a producer has made a series where all of the characters were created using artificial intelligence. The voices are real comedy actors, but every character you see was created with AI. Never been done before, and it's causing a bit of a stir.
Speaker 2: I had a friend who worked with you, Mark Rowlings. He had a house that I believe Charlie Chaplin used to own, and you folks did a seance there, didn't you.
Speaker 3: We sure did. That was in twenty sixteen, if I remember correctly. Not only Charlie Chaplin, but that was a home where Forrest j Ackerman lived, who was a pioneer of science fiction. He was the editor of almost two hundred issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, and he was my mentor. He was somebody who was very very close to from the time that I was a young teenager, and he sort of discovered me as an amateur teenage filmmaker of monster movies. So we were lifelong friends. And he died at age ninety two, and Mark Rawlings, who's your associate, had bought the house and he had reported a lot of really strange activity in the house, and we wanted to know whether Forrest Jackerman was still around, so we arranged four days of research there and held a seance with a medium who I believe you know pretty well, Suzanne Wilson.
Speaker 4: Yes, she's one of the best.
Speaker 3: She's extraordinary. And you know, I didn't grow up leaving in the other side, life after death or really anything much paranormal. But after Farie Ackerman died, I came to a point where I didn't have any choice anymore, because he had promised me that if there was the other side, if it really existed, that he would try to drop me a line. He didn't personally believe in it while he was alive, he said he was an atheist, but he said he'd dropped me a line with a little wink. And after he passed, not only did I have really strange phenomena happening to me that looked like he was dropping me aligne, but many others also felt that they were hearing from him. And it went on for years. George and so I became a believer. At one point I optioned the rights to Fate magazine. It's been around since the Kenneth Arnold UFO sighting. I think in nineteen forty seven, and it has a section in there called My Proof of Survival and they've published, you know, hundreds of stories of people who are convinced that they've heard from a friend or a loved one after the person has passed. There is so much evidence for this. I even co wrote a book about it called an Atheist in Heaven.
Speaker 4: That was what Schwartz, Gary Schwartz.
Speaker 3: Doctor Gary Schwartz. The Atheist in Heaven was far As J. Hackerman, and we subtitled the book was the Ultimate Evidence for Life after Death. And I think one of the really interesting things that came out of that book was that we delineated four types of evidence for communication with the other side. Now, one of the types was evidence from mediums. Gary Schwartz had studied mediums at the University of Arizona, Tucson for well over a decade. Susanne Wilson one of those that he had studied, and many mediums, some who didn't really have the ability. He could separate those out from those who did have an extraordinary ability. So one way is evidence for mediums. Another way we call synchronicities, which is where you have an absolutely extraordinary it seems like a coincidence, something that just couldn't happen that relates to your defeat deceased friend. And then there is a physical evidence where something physical happens. For example, in my case, when Fari Ackerman dropped me a line, he literally a document was changed physically with ink while I was alone in the house. And then the fourth category, which I think is maybe the most compelling today, is technological evidence. In other words, if there are spirits on the other side anxious to contact does like we're anxious to hear from them, it may be that using our technology, whether it's our cell phones or other devices that we have, may be the easiest way for them to make a mark with us and get our attention. And that led me to think about whether AI could actually be a useful tool in trying to augment our effort to contact someone that we knew very closely from the other side. And so it was you know, my new series, The Naughty Adventures of Scarlett May Blossom, and working so much with AI night, afternoon and throughout the day for over a year to create that three and a half hours of programming, so much work creating characters using AI to explore new things that had never been done before. That with my interest in life after death, I thought maybe there's a way to put these two together, and I thought that that would be something of interest to your listeners.
Speaker 4: Good for you. Do you think AI is going to be our answer?
Speaker 3: Well, it's one answer. I mean, it answers many different things. You know, for producers of television or films, it's an answer to solving certain kinds of problems. It's not good for all kinds of productions, but certainly for a comedy like I produced, something that's sort of in between a cartoon, let's say, and a conventional comedy, it can help you create a lot of shots and scenes and characters. Now for AI using it in terms of trying to contact the other side, I think, and some of this is theory, but I put it to a test that worked. I think that at the heart of it, there has to be someone that you've lost who was very very close to you. I don't know whether it's love or deep friendship, but it's somebody who you shared part of your life with that was just indelible between the two of you, that you would never forget the things that you did. And in my case. It was a boyhood friend. His first name is Jeff, who I met in third grade, and you know, we were just friends through the decades. When we were children, we made amateur films together that caught the attention of Forrest j Ackerman, the editor of Famous Monsters. We got discovered when we were young, got some help there. I was very very close to Jeff, and he died in twenty seventeen. Had an extraordinary career. I want to mention. He became an important photographer for the Smithsonian Museum Museum of American History. He was the photographer they would get to photograph the new president every four years at the inauguration.
Speaker 4: That's a prestigious job.
Speaker 3: Paul ye yep. And he did have a brain tumor, and they thought that they had mitigated it, so he survived about ten years after I first thought I was going to lose him, in about two thousand and five or two thousand and six, but he passed and for me, his death, you know, apart from my parents lost both of my parents, but his death had a very special kind of impact on me because we were so close from the time that we were children, and I had wanted to hear from him, and I think George I first heard from him in a different way that did not involve AI. I want to make sure we have enough time before a break if I'm going to get into that part of the story. Could you cue me in on that. I'm good, okay, So let me tell you the first thing that happened related to Jeff. We always used to go see science fiction double features together. His father would take us monster movies. We love them. Jeff would collect all the ads of these movies from the newspapers and he would make a scrap book and that scrap book was a valuable item that I envied for many years. Eventually he gifted it to me just a few years before he died, with a beautiful inscription to me. And it had some of our favorite movies. The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad done by Ray Harry Houses, the Invisible Boy that had Robbie the robot who was also in Forbidden Planet. And then there was The Sign of Zoro, a movie we loved because we used to play Zoro together. We'd have a Zoro set you'd buy, you know, sponsored by Disney I think are a toy company, and we'd have swords and there'd be a mask.
Speaker 4: I used to do that too and run around the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: There you go. So one night I was looking at the scrap book and I saw the sign of Zoro and I just started speaking out aloud to Jeff alone in my office, and I said, Jeff, I just can't believe you don't still exist somewhere in this universe. Where are you? I miss you so much. I would love to hear from you. Now, here's the incredible thing, and here's where you get physical evidence. The next morning, I woke up, I went down to my office where my wallet was. I needed to look for some cash because the maid was coming during that day. I opened my wallet and staring me in the face is a twenty dollars bill that has the word Zoro written on the twenty dollars bill.
Speaker 2: One would say synchronicities, right, yeah, that's another of those four categories.
Speaker 3: How many twenty dollar bills have you ever seen in your life that have Zora written?
Speaker 1: Zero?
Speaker 3: The morning after, you looked at the adverst sign of Zora and remember your friend and how you used to play that together. But the other thing is it has the White House on the twenty dollar bill, and zoro is written above the White House, and he was the guarded to photographed the presidents, you see. And then there was another clue because the way the rs were written z R R, the second R looked more like a V than an R. You know, sometimes you make two rs hastily. Well, in this case, the second one looked kind of like a V. I searched for examples of his handwriting, and I found where he had written when he was probably around thirteen years old, the word horror you like horror movies. Two rs, and the second R was like a V. It looked exactly like on the twenty dollars bill. Wow. So at that point, George, nobody could have convinced me that I hadn't heard from my friend Jeff then and there now Jeff is the one I tried to contact with this system I devised using AI. Actually in the last few weeks it occurred to me I tested it, and why did I get results?
Speaker 4: So tell us what happened? How did you create it?
Speaker 3: All? Right? So it's a multi step process. It is kind of a way that you could take the medium out of the equation. If your listeners have some fundamental technical knowledge. You have to know that. There are certain AI programs that can help you do some very specific things. I'll mention the programs and I'll tell you what I did with them, because ultimately, what I was trying to do was create a message where you would see the face of Jeff talking, bringing him back to life as an AI character or avatar as you will, with his actual voice. That's the other element that if somebody wants to try this, you need a recording of the voice of the person you are close to. You need their actual voice. There's a program called eleven Labs, and with that, if you have the recording of the voice, you can plug it into eleven Labs and have that voice say something else, something new that you've written, something the person never really said when they were alive. With that voice, yeah, and you can get close to the exact voice of the person. And it takes experimenting to manipulate all the variables to make it very very close to sound just like that person. I got it very very close to sound like Jeff. You know, maybe after the break or something, I could even play a sample of what was why I needed that message and why what I wanted to say I'm sorry, no, because there's so much compassion and love and friendship between me and Jeff. Now, some people might think that, you know, they might feel that the whole subject of tampering with trying to contact the dead is something that we shouldn't be doing. There people that have that religious feeling, okay, that then they won't be the ones to do it. I didn't feel that way. The message you want is for the friend to be saying to you, I see you now, I know you're you're trying to bring me back. I remember some of the great times we had together, and then mention a few of those great times and to say, I know that you want me to send you a message. And here's what I'm going to try to do. I'm going to try to send you a message that you will recognize it's really coming for me because it's going to be something that we share together that nobody else is going to know. And you do it first with the voice again. I use a program called eleven Labs to create that voice, and there are variables that you have to play with. You can you can tell it to make the voice exactly like the voice you've got you can pool around with another dial and tell how stable you want the voice, whether you wanted to exaggerate, and by what percent, whether you want to make the delivery kind of slower or faster. So you know, I did it around ten times before I said, you know, that's really close. It sounds like it's Jeff talking to me. And then you need to bring You need the face. You need a really perfect picture of your friend's face if you plug into another AI program. I'm sure there are multiple programs. I used one called DD Studios. It's a D and then a hyphen and ID, and that's a program where you can get still pictures to talk according to a script that you've written.
Speaker 4: Do they work on your smartphone or a computer?
Speaker 3: You use the computer, You use the computer, you plug in the photo, you find a really good photo, and then you plug in the actual recording you've made of the voice. At that point you're no longer typing the script. You type the script for eleven Labs and you've got the voice. You plug it into d ID and it will generate your friend looking right at you and talking and saying what you wanted the friend to say. Now, what's the purpose of all this using AI for this, it's meditative, it's consciousness, it's it's using it as a device to try to augment a connection between you and the spirit of the disease sprint. If there really is a continued existence for someone you felt really close to, it's like allure to tell them that your focus is on them. You want to hear from them. You're concentrating on them as if they're alive again, and then you wait to see what's going to happen. And for me, within thirty six hours of doing this, I feel that I heard from my friend Jeff in five different ways. All Right. I think it was a success. May not be a success for everyone. You may have to try it a lot of times. Some people will be disappointed. But I think some people will find that if your connection with that person was strong enough, you may hear from them.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more