Speaker 1: The Dame was apparently being shot around before the injury. According to sam Amy, the relationship between Giannis and Damon strong as at the respect level, but the imperfection of the On Kirk pairing remained. In their second season together, and with the group collectively limitations growing more evident by the month, a conversation was luoming about whether Lillard and the Bucks might be better off party ways they part ways not because the ain't nobody traded for a guy that's not gonna be able to play until twenty six, twenty seven, So you stuck with him and he's not gonna be able to help you.
Speaker 2: So now what do you do? Q? That's interesting they just to have.
Speaker 3: Like that's a little interesting tied that to come out right now, Like the timing of it is this funny to me.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe they try and move down still this summer, like you straighten things that name.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, I ain't trader. How's you gonna give me a call? How are you gonna try to sell me a car with no mode in it?
Speaker 3: Because you're saying the first way they tried to come out and already say like it was It wasn't like a crazy tear or whatever.
Speaker 2: It was like you.
Speaker 3: Know, the the I guess the minimum amount of amount of damage it could be or whatever.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, man, I don't know. It's gonna it's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, like I say, unless unless Janni's come in and say something.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be real interesting to see.
Speaker 3: What goes on over there, because I know the last thing they gonna do they not coming at offering no trade for Jannis.
Speaker 2: I don't oh no, no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: But see that was the most shocking thing about the Luca trade. You could then't request to be traded. If we go back and study history, guys that have been moved, they wanted to be moved. Kareem wanted to be moved. Shaq wanted his money. Jared Buss didn't want to give him his money. He was starting to age, and he said, no, I'm gonna move you. So when you look at it, Luca is twenty five, he had just turned me about to turn twenty six. He was in the league eight years, he was a five time first team All NBA selection, and he got moved.
Speaker 2: So normally guys don't move guys like that.
Speaker 1: You're not moving yais unless he says, come movement, You don't move KD. Unless KD says move me, you don't move A Lebron. Lebron has never, never asked to be traded. Lebron has always played out of his played his contract out and then he's left. But when you get guys like that, Celtics on trade Jason Tatum unless Jayson Tatum says I want to be traded. You see Donovan Mitchell Utap moved him Why because he said he wanted to go. Yeah, He's really that simple. You Nightcapp family. Let's give it up for Q. Thank him for joining us. Go follow him at Q rich and his podcast at Knucklehead's podcast. Q Man, thank you for your time, Thanks for joining us to break down these game and talk all things basketball. Congratulations on the podcast, Keep growing, keep doing your thing.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: All right back with us. Thank A'm gouty here. I gotta say one thing to you, Michael Jeffrey Jordan is to go. I'm not gonna plade it, I'm not gonna argue it.
Speaker 2: Okay, what it is? Jalen Bronson game went over the pistons, What a shot? What the moment?
Speaker 1: The next window series? Rob you one of the great clutch shot shooters. Let me ask you this. I think for our audience, they want to know in that moment, are you thinking, like, man, if I make this shot on a hero, if I miss it, or you just going through the It's the same whether the moment is there or not. It's just like if it was the first quarter, the second quarter, third quarter. What goes through your head when you're taking a shot that could potentially win you the game or lose you the game?
Speaker 4: Y know, I think about anything, man, because it's just like when you're in a gym. You're taking all these shots and prepare for this moment. You put the reps in and that's what you gotta do. That's why you see guys. You know you take Kobe Fence's He's been the gym twenty four to seven, so everything came easy. And if you put in the time, in the work and the sacrifice, these moments like this, you don't even think about it. When you think about Jalen Brunson, most guys they like going to their offhand to pull up for they jumps out because you can square up a little bit better. He got you going left like you thought, Oh he's a strong left guy. He was setting them up. He said it, Thompson up, I'm coming right back over here to what I want to knock down this three. So it's just it's just a process that you go through each and every day, and you watch him. He is so good at manipulating the defense. He can get you on your hip and then he can cost the contact or he can get you. He can he can gauge your speed if you're going too fast, he stops on the diamond, pulls up, and I think for him and any any guy who's playing this game long enough.
Speaker 2: You don't think about it. You just do it. It's just a second nation, second nature thing to you. Man. You just you just enjoyed the moment and you just hope that you make that month. So you can talk a lot of shit.
Speaker 1: He does a great job rob as you mentioned, but he gets his body in such a position to shoot that shot because like you said, he's a left handed player, and most left handed players are left hand dominant. They're trying to get to that left side. They want to go left. He did that and then if you notice he stepped back and squared himself and let it go.
Speaker 2: He hit a shrewter. He got an and one on shooter, and he got a tough step back.
Speaker 1: He I mean the way he can like get his body in position to take and make tough shots.
Speaker 2: For a guy his size. He is not a big guy.
Speaker 1: I mean his body. I mean, you know what I'm saying. He's you know, he got a little little gird to him. You know, he got some but he's what you think six foot. I think he's about six six one hit that, but his ability and he's stronger than you think for a guy his size, because the way he can like put that that sholder in your chest and get and get that shot off, float on square himself in the knock these shots down.
Speaker 2: He was sensatial.
Speaker 1: They couldn't buy a basket for the first nine ten minutes of the ball game, and then all of a sudden he said, man, just give me the ball. What y'all doing? And every shot that needed to be taken and made. Now they got a huge tip in by bridge and somebody missed the shot and they didn't block out the bridges got the tip that tied it up. But you know, once they missed that shot, said, boy, y'all better get this ball. Because Thompson had just made a great defensive play up like two possessions earlier, he got a shot clock violation on the copy. He went to go up and he stripped him with the ball. He's like, yeah, Russell, I got something for you.
Speaker 5: Hold, I got a question you for for rob Man for you and Unk right, is as great as Jalen Brunson was in this series, as great as he's been obviously being a very very clutch player.
Speaker 2: Hell, he's just one NBA CUSS Player of the Year right.
Speaker 5: On this offensive prow tonight with forty, Is there any chance y'all give me the Knicks and in this series against the Celtics, any chance?
Speaker 3: No, No, no, no.
Speaker 4: And the reason I say no is because when you look at the Celtics, they got six guys that can score, and every time I look at the Nicks, they.
Speaker 2: Remind me of Ai.
Speaker 4: You know, they got this one guy that does all the scoring and everybody else does two or three things really really good. To make that pie hole and do you take out Bridge? It's one of my favorite players when they use him and he's able to score. They're a totally different team. But I just think the Celtics has too much firepower. And one of the things they don't talk about what the Celtics is.
Speaker 2: You look at them.
Speaker 4: They got four good defensive players out there in that court, you know, and that's and and we don't talk about that because we so caught up.
Speaker 2: In all the threes they do.
Speaker 4: But you think about, you know, White, Holiday, even Brown, these guys are fucking good defense. And so they got bodies to throw at Bronson a little short down and so that's gonna be hard. And you know, going back to Brunton, the one thing that makes him really good is this is gonna sound really crazy, is left handed players are always uh and have that ability to get to the line and do things because you cannot use that. You holler every run across a left pended player. You think about Mono, do you know we're gonna play with He was so good because you think he's about to do someone is right here, like, oh shit, he's left handed. And by the time you think about it, he donna change you up. And because it's just not what you use is uncommon. But I just think he I think the Knicks might win one game because they play hard, and I think overall, I just think the Celtic, Yeah, it's gonna be a gentleman, sweet man. I just think that if the Celtics stay healthy. But you know they they've been getting a little banged up in there. But I just think the Celtics are too good. Yeah, because when you look at it, think about what they go. They got Derrick White that can defend. They got Holliday that can defend. They got JB that can defend.
Speaker 1: They got bigger A Horford that can defend, Porzingis can protect the paint. And then they bring Pritchard off the bench that can score, House that can call cornet, that can that can give you a little rebound. Me. Uh, they're loaded. You we know j T can defend it if you have to, but he can score. JD can score, Derrick White can score. They got scores, and they got defenders. So they're always going to have at bare minimum to quality defenders on the court at all times. And so when you have that, when you got two guys that can defend. But look what they start with. So if they start Holiday, you got Holiday, Derrick White, JP Al Horford.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I'm gonna tell you this.
Speaker 5: I liked the Nickson winning at least three games. I got win three games. I mean, hey, Raw, you want to you want to, you want to best some on it. You want to throw a little throw ways on them? Said make it light of yourself. Bet fifty two hundred. That's very specific, right he said, yeah, tell you try. I'm sure I hold them fifty two hundred. So I'm just trying to I'm trying to make it up some other kind of way and trying to break you.
Speaker 2: Rob. I' let me ask you this, of all the game winners that you hit, what's your favorite one? Uh, Lakers against the jay Kings with the ball came by that game without a game double game cepl and it was game four four. You know, we lose that game, we go down three to one.
Speaker 4: And the reason is my favorite because if you look at most of my game winners, they've all done on the road, and so this one was done at home.
Speaker 2: And you got a chance to rejoice with the crowd. Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 4: I grew up a huge Lakers fan, man, I grew up a big Magic Johnson fan. You know you wouldn't never being a Laker. You used to them chanting Kobe, Kobe or shot. You know, when you get a chance to knock down a big three and you get him chant your name like that, man, it's the best feeling ever. I think for me, it's probably outside of Kobe's last game, is the greatest moment in Statele Slash Crypto. And if you every time I see the shot from above and when I'm making and the crowd just jumps up and cheers, I get goosebunt every time I see it. You know, even though I love what I did in two thousand and five against the Pistons in game fire, when I.
Speaker 2: Lit as yeah, that's what I was.
Speaker 4: That's what I was thinking, Yeah, yeah, yeah, But you know it's something you know, we as an athlete, we all got that ego, we all got that pride.
Speaker 2: You're gonna hit them fans chant your name. But I tell you what, I only have like one picture up.
Speaker 4: I don't even have that shot up in my house, but I do have the picture of me making that shot against the Pistols because I just like looking at the faces of the people in the crowd.
Speaker 2: You got some people like you know, and you got one guy him in the crowd and it's like yeah, because he knew it was going in people.
Speaker 1: I don't know if people realize this, Rob, but before those black danjurs, you are hot flower.
Speaker 2: You was ever. I mean you was punching on folks. I mean you are hope, over the top. People look at you and they're like, man, all they did was you threes no no, no, no no. When you came in.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know what it is about them, the Alabama guys, you and make nice. All the guys had up up of people. And I don't know if people realize that, but you wore a hot flower, a sixteen guy that finished above the rim. And then you turned yourself. I think it was the back injury that you turned yourself in more of a shooter. You still could punch your folks, but not like you could when you first got the houst.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's so weird when you coming to lead funny stories.
Speaker 4: Like my middle son, he came to me one time, like, Daddy, you don't ever dunk anymore.
Speaker 2: You can't even dunk.
Speaker 4: And there's that one dunk in the playoffs against the Detroit Pistons that I dunked on Rep.
Speaker 2: Hamilton. I took out outside the think and I said, see, your dad can still dunk. I just don't have to.
Speaker 4: But you know, the weird part about it is when I got to the Lakers, they was like, oh, we don't want you to, you know, they say, we need you just spot up. And the worst thing as an athlete, if any athletes listening, is don't let coaches limit to limit you and what you can do. And I think you know this day and age is a little bit different. Back then, it was a little bit more I need to do this, this and this, and so in my mind became okay, this is what they want me to do, spot up and shoot threes and all this concept.
Speaker 2: But I I showed my my my youngest son, Christian, who's that you said? Last?
Speaker 4: Let me show you something, man, Come sit down and I'll show them my highlights. I mean rockets when I used to dunk. He looked at me like, damn, you had houps. It's like, yeah, I just stopped doing it because they didn't want. I didn't have room to do it because Shaq.
Speaker 2: Was in the dad.
Speaker 5: That's dope, that's lie. Hey, hey, Rob, with some of those some of those clutch shots you hit, were you ever did you ever keep any of the balls or especially especially Man, I mean, you got some really, really really good moments, and for me, I would want to keep those.
Speaker 2: I would I personally want to keep those balls. You know you don't have any, you know, I really I have. I have. I have one from it's actually the Game seven ball against the Knicks.
Speaker 4: I have that. And the only reason I have that because I told the guy said, because the first two points of Game seven was me dunking on bad you and I was like.
Speaker 2: I want that ball. I want that ball.
Speaker 3: So I have that ball.
Speaker 4: And I wish I had the one I made against the Kings, because shit, if I lost it, if I bett you and lost, I just sell that and give me a lot of money to cover that.
Speaker 2: I know these Laker fans who loved that, well.
Speaker 5: Speaking of you talking about balls and being able to sell the ball and get you a lot of money. Listen, I got a prize possession, That's what I'm gonna say. I'm supposed to have it inclosed in the case, right, But I got the game ball when Lebron hit his fiftieth point fifty thousand, Like, listen, fifty thousand points, and that's something that you would think he would.
Speaker 2: Keep sure sure to see. Huh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it's a fifty thousand point ball right now, you see twenty thousand point and Lebron signed the.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So if I haven't falling on hard times, man, this is gonna come in handy. Do you fall on hard time to try to sell that ball? You gonna stay on hard times? Exactly? You, Hey, you might real hard times.
Speaker 1: Greg Papavich stepped out of the coach at the San Antonio First today, ending a nearly three decade run that saw him lead the team to five championships. He's the all time winning his coach at NBA history, and he's a three time Coach of the Year, and he's a Hall of Fame going a gold medal, and he's inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame. Rob, you played for Pop? What what was it about Pop that made him special? What was your what's going to be your lasting memory of playing for Pop?
Speaker 4: I think for me, it's just his how genuine he was, and you know, he he was one of those coaches where he's one of those coaches where he had yelled at you and then take you to have some nochi and someone in those two favorite things.
Speaker 2: And and for me, I think I tell this story all the time.
Speaker 4: The one thing that really made me fall in love with the guy was my daughter who passed away, was really sick my last ship with the Spurs, and she went into the hospital at the beginning of the season and he was like, don't don't come back until she's out of the hospital.
Speaker 2: And I sat in the hospital with.
Speaker 4: Her for like three weeks and then she probably got out of the hospital and I came at like a day after. He says, she out a hospital. Like, yees, she got home like two days ago, he said, she and out of the woods. Yet get back, go back home. You know, we don't really need you right now. And I looked at him, like, are you trying to get rid of me off on the spot? He said, no, Man, family first, you know, family first, And that's what That's how Pop always was.
Speaker 2: Man. You know, I just heard the day about the story of the Martow Rose on his past and now.
Speaker 4: It's like and that goes to show you, you know, there's some things bigger than a freaking game right, and Pop realized that. You know, he was always about, you know, spending time with your family, doing what's important. And I remember even my last year, I went to him and I was like, you know, I'm want to ask the fairy like what I said.
Speaker 2: It's my last year. I said, can I and my son's on spring break? We're going on a road trip. Can I bring my son with me?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't even ask you no question like that. He said, it's you know, it's it's it's about the family. It's about doing things, and a lot of teams wouldn't let you do that. You know, it's because I remember remember the Lakers back and the day you say he can't get the flight back now lid Bill, you know insurance thing.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what is this a flight hole on what?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 4: But pot was he's he was really really good about man, if it came down to your family, you do whatever it's necessary for your family.
Speaker 1: Everybody talks about the relationship that they had with Duncan because I think Duncan was the main being because you could coach him Duncan hard. You can coach everybody else hard. And Timmy was receptive and that's what you have.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 1: Timmy was one of these superstars that if you didn't watch the game, you would never know he was a superstar. He didn't dress like a superstar. Hell I remember you showed up what to pick up an m v P trop with flip flops his shorts.
Speaker 2: So David Sturn David what wan to swing on Timmy? Head on George? Yeah, head on, jeans short George. David Stern like, hey, but that was Timmy.
Speaker 1: What what wasn't about Coach Pop and Tim's relationship that made it so unique and special.
Speaker 4: I think we're gonna back this up a little bit because you really have to credit David Ranks because you think about he had David Robinson when Tim came and David was like, Yo, this is what we do here, and Tim just follow suit. You know, Tim is just that type of guy. He doesn't say much.
Speaker 2: You can talk.
Speaker 4: If you talk about cars, he'll talk to you talk about video games. He'll talk to you talk about poke with those three things and he'll talk about that. He a't gonna really talk to you for us. You know, it took me a year just to get him say a couple of words to me, and but he is just a he. He is a type of guy who's really focused. We don't, you know, we always talk about Code's worker. I think we talked about it, But this dude was always in the gym shooting jump shots. You know, I'm always trying to get to perfect that bank shot.
Speaker 2: If you know.
Speaker 4: He was famous for shooting a lot of free throws because you know he that was one of his is his downfall?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And he just he worked hard.
Speaker 4: But he was just he If you talk about guys who you know, I used to I had to get on to him one time, like, dude, can you fucking yell at somebody?
Speaker 2: Man, you sitting over there like with your mouth closed.
Speaker 4: You know, you yell at someone, you're gonna be like, yeah, pudding, everybody's gonna perk up and listen.
Speaker 2: So he was just he was very mild many way. He's mild. Mind. He didn't want to say much.
Speaker 4: But the guy was he competed and he was and when he when he led you into his world, one of the nicest guys you'll meet.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the Twin Towers because David Robinson was there. But when David was there, I mean they Wondam Championship with David, but David was on the tail end of his career. That was that was I mean, basically Tim Dunkett team from the time he walked in the door.
Speaker 2: Oh he was just that good.
Speaker 1: And he was one of the last guys that was a true senior that was the number one overall. Kenya Martin was the last one, I think in two thousand, but Timmy was what ninety eight. I think the ninety eight draft was Timmy's first year, but he was the last, the last of those guys that he went four years of college and came out. So he was more than ready, more than prepared for the grind because basically he was a grown man when he wasn't eighteen, he wasn't seventeen.
Speaker 2: Tim Duggan was a twenty two year old grown man when he got to the NBA.
Speaker 4: So you tell me something I did not know. I thought he came out earlier. You just so you say everybody coming down early, you know, thinking about and that's the one thing that I hated about the NBA. I know, these dudes are freaking twenty one when they get to college now, but I just wish that that that that I was about to say, David Stern that Adam Silbell put like two years onto it. Because these guys. You can tell by the way these guys play. Now, that's why so many threes are being shot, because they don't know how to play. They're doing what's easy. It's taking the threes in the learning the game. You know, you got some guys that are gonna come in the league that know how to play the game because of the upbringing and how they were taught. But it's just it's just it's just a lot of bad basketball being played because guys don't know how to play. You know, you think about tonight washing game, Like, dude, the first thing you learn in high school and college is how to beat the damn zone.
Speaker 2: Right, the zone is the easiest freaking thing to beat. And you can't beat the zone.
Speaker 4: It's like go to the Oprah spots, go to the dunker spot, go back door, and it just shows you right there that the guys aren't learning anything because they're all just trying to, you know, get to the next level to the league without learning something.
Speaker 1: Rob you played with some of the greats. I mean, you was on a team with him, Duncan. You was on a team with Shaq and Kobe.
Speaker 2: You was on the King with a lot Dream and Drexler, And I know people ask you what the difference.
Speaker 1: Between Dream and Duncan, the difference between Duncan and Shaq, the difference between Clyde and Kobe. What are some of the different look because look, all of those guys that I just mentioned are all the seventy five greatest players in the NBA history, MVP's Finals, MVPs, Defensive.
Speaker 2: Players of the Year.
Speaker 1: When you got when you got to the Rockets, what was it about the Dream that you know, okay and this got special?
Speaker 2: What set them apart? Shit?
Speaker 4: I knew Dream was special when I watched them in college because when I when I was coming out, I said, I want to play alongside this guy. You know, I was praying that I went to the Rockets and the guy was and I did because you could just see his work as you know you watched him. You know, guys always talking about going into the lab. Dream would be in the lab and we didn't even know it. He would be working on stuff and then he'll just all of a sudden in the game. You know, you think about ninety five high annihilated David.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he said they took the game. Is it took his the MVP from him? Yeah, all that stuff we had never seen before. You should have seen us on the court.
Speaker 4: We're going like, oh, we became fans on the court, right, And so he just and you watch him, man, he just played hard.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: You think about you know, back in the day when he you forget he used a knock some people out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know, he had that toughness. You know, you help on him.
Speaker 4: He would he was because only a fifty dollars finals, you know, puts him in the face. And so he had that toughness and he just had that. The one thing about Dream, though, is we talk about how hard guys players like, and how hard Yannis plays, how hard Bronson places, how hard he's got Dream play hard each and every night. And you know, people would talk about who's the greatest center, who's this, who's that.
Speaker 2: Dream to me is always gonna be top three centers. Wow. Because if he needed to shoot threes, he could have shot threes.
Speaker 4: He didn't because he had us out there and you couldn't stop him in the paint any damn way.
Speaker 2: So he just gonna keep you that way.
Speaker 4: So he was just you know, he was just a hard worker and the more important, great guy because he taught me about the business of basketball. He was like, yo, I remember one time at a Christmas part he took me outside. I said, listen, you're gonna be on this team. Now let's talk about, you know, things outside of basketball. What you're doing with your money. You know, how's the family, you know, are you investing, do you have the right people?
Speaker 2: He was just a good guy.
Speaker 4: You know, a lot of guys now you know, they won't they won't come to you and be like, yo, man, you need to check your find that you need to do this.
Speaker 2: They like, fuck you. I learned it on my own.
Speaker 4: You on your own, and so I just that's one of the things I love about you. And he taught me about the business of basketball. So you leave Houston and you go to the let well you know you have you didn't go right to you got to go there?
Speaker 2: Huh, no, you have. You got to talk about the fins man.
Speaker 1: Start you have a little bit and started saying, and Peter, you you have a couple of coffee at the airport.
Speaker 2: He got right back on the player. He went to l A So you get to l A shock and Kobe what you're like? Dam N? Got shocked? Got Kobe?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What y'all need to be to do? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know what's weird? When I got there, man, I'm looking at the team. We had Nick ban X at the yelling, we had Eddie Jones at the two. I said, okay, I can play the three. You know, back then I was the man, and I said, we got a young guy like this. You know, everybody's like, oh, you got to see this rookie Kobe Bryan.
Speaker 2: I'm like, who.
Speaker 4: And then you get to the practice you see how good this dude is. Okay, he's learning, and then you got shocked. You know, you say, okay, Shaq just got beaten ninety five in the finals, and you got all this talent. I said, oh man, we got to do some work. I said, We're gonna do some work for some years. Because everybody young, everybody's under thirty. But sometimes it goes to show you too many cooks in the kitchen when it comes to basketball ain't good. You gotta have some guys that are blue guys, some screw guys, you know, some boats and and do the things to keep the team together.
Speaker 2: And you think about we had four All stars. Yeah, and then we got swept by a damn team that has been together for thirty years. That was Kobe's rookie year, wasn't it. That was Kobe's rookie year. Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: And then and then and then ninety nine, you know, we got beat We got beat by the Spurs, lost the last game in the Forum to the Spurs. And then that was when we got new coaches, and we said we got rid of Nick, we got rid of Eddie, and we bought in defensive minded people. You know. He brought in Ron Harper, We bought in b Shaw, we bought in Rick Fox, We did all these things, brought in a C.
Speaker 1: Green And it was that Glue who was whole grand there did a whole great only came for the last hope Hope.
Speaker 4: Grant was on the second championship in two thousand and two thousand and one. Yeah, so, and it was just weird, man. You just and it goes to show you when you got too much talent, it's hard to get in the way. But when you've got when you got enough talent and you got guys who mature, and you can you can tell Kobe and Shot to shut up and sit you.
Speaker 2: Ass down and do what you're supposed to do, and they gonna they gonna, you think about it.
Speaker 4: We used to tell Kobe, all, dude, you ain't doing that tonight, A Shack, you ain't doing that, and they would listen to us because we are veteran guys.
Speaker 2: You know. Now you got this going on.
Speaker 4: Guys you know, respect us and we had a lot of respect for one another, and it was no animosity. And people always ask me about the Kobe Shack thing. I was like, man, I must have been fucking blinded, because they never had beef in front of us. It was all in the papers man, you know, And that was the weirdest thing. When people like, we'll talk about it, I'm like they in the locker room, laughing and joking. They the first people to hug after a championship. I know, you tell me you you want a championship. Who was the first person you hung, you hugged after you want to champion? It's probably your favorite player on the team. And so that's why I was like men's arriving, they would say, oh, they're beef and I'm like, man, where it was just weird to me? How good was Shaq?
Speaker 1: You look at Shack and I tell people, I would think people realize how athletic Shock was when Shaq got to the league, like Shaq first five or six years, when Shaq was like seven one three twenty five and can move like a dear. We'll never go to see that again. You never go to see a guy his signs with that kind ofigility.
Speaker 2: You're just not Now.
Speaker 1: You might have a like a yoh, he's got the footwork, and Joel of me got footwork, but I'm talking about just raw athleticism and power.
Speaker 2: You never phil O'Neil again, never, ye never.
Speaker 4: You know, you think about if you always tell if you start a team, if I could take the two thousand, the nineteen nine nine, two thousand Shock, the MVP Shack and have him that Shack and put him on, that's my first person, Not Jordan, not Dream, not Daream.
Speaker 2: That's the first person I'm picked to start my line.
Speaker 4: If I can get that Shack because he was just so dominant, he was just so strong, so athletic. You thinking about this, this guy can bring the ball down across your spin, take off from outside the paint, then monkey dunk on your ask and then you could do you know, and you go back and look at a lot of tape. And I've heard this out of refs mouth. So I'm sitting there. You can hear all you is on him and he's not getting the call. They're like, oh, he's too big, he should be able to handle that. I'm like, dude, it's a freaking file. He's slapping his show. Y'all said, all right, y'all, gonna piss him off, and then I'm gonna get out of way be cause he's gonna start an elbowing and you can tell when he got frustrated because he'll do that.
Speaker 2: He don't care who he is. I'm like, so yeah, he was.
Speaker 4: He was like I said, if you got one player, one moment, I'm taking nineteen ninety nine, two thousand shock and I'm starting the team with that guy.
Speaker 2: If I can get that guy each and every night.
Speaker 1: Okay, Kobe, Kobe, if a seventeen he gets there seventeen. Now by the time they start to win championships, he's the Kobe. He's he's become what he became and you get to see it on full display. He could still elevate over the top. He got the minute, he could up. Oh he had, he had the package. And if you need him to sit in the chair for forty minutes and take the opposing team to point two three, I got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he and he wanted that challenge. And you know, you, you know, I know you think Lebron is the greatest of all time. And you people talk about, uh MJ being the greatest of all time. Why don't you think you when you watch Kobe Bryant, he did every freaking thing like MJ. And he probably took it to another level because Kobe. You know, when Kobe first came in the league, we used to laugh and joke him, like you can't shoot threes?
Speaker 2: He just shoot threes like MJ. But he we would like joke with him.
Speaker 4: So that dude being in the gym every morning at five o'clock shooting number threes and now he can shoot threes. And it's things like that that why he was great. You could tell him he was not good at something, he would prove you wrong by going in and working on it and added to his game.
Speaker 2: This dude.
Speaker 4: You know, God rest his soul. Was the hardest working dude I've ever seen in my life. And you think about where he went from his rookie year where he just played. Wow, you know, he didn't have no structure to his game to understanding that. Oh I got to tone this down. And I don't know if it's because he talked to MJ and talked to Field whatnot, but when he got filled, it made him more.
Speaker 2: Structure than I've ever seen before. So the dude was just phenomenal. Man.
Speaker 4: So I hate when we talk about the goat and we never bring him up, like because it's like, you know, to me, the goats are MJ, Kobe, Lebron, and Kareem. Those are the goats. And why do we have to put one, one, two, one, three and four those four guys right there? Why great camps? Just four ghosts? That's the amount rushmore right there?
Speaker 1: Why Why didn't playing on that team alongside Shaq and Kobe? Why didn't they win more individual MVPs? Kobe didn't win one until later late in like two thousand one, I think two thousand out of two thousand and ten, he won the MVP. Why didn't they win. If why didn't Shaq win more MVPs? Why didn't Kobe win MVPs? Did they cancel each other out? I don't think they counted each other.
Speaker 4: I just think, you know, if you if you look at the league back then, it was hard to win back to backs unless she was a white guy name Steve Nash.
Speaker 2: So you know, you think about that second Steve.
Speaker 1: Nash, I should have won that in Miami for real though, So it's so many things you can look at it.
Speaker 2: It's just weird.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: You think about MJ when he was in the league. He didn't win it.
Speaker 4: Every year, you know, it's always someone different, And like you think about this year, even though Joki is having the best freaking career, best year of his career, he probably give it to Shape, you know, And and it's just how they do it. And I don't know why, but I think Kobe should probably run at least three, Shack should run at least I should Shack shuld run at least two. You know, I think I say, the year he wanted, he should have won it, and then the following year he should have won it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Other than that, I think, you know, because you think about his third year, my third championship, he wasn't as dominant as he was. He was still effective, he just didn't bring that you think about it, he wasn't the shack before that, and that's what they based off. They always say, Okay, we're gonna take your last year. What did you do better than that year? And I think he was just consistent. He never like went up a little bit to another level.
Speaker 1: Uh. Jim Duncan, Jim Duncan had one of the great games. He had a damn near quadruple double. He was two blocks away from a quadruple double in an NBA Finals game when he played when he played the Nets, uh that year, he had twenty one points, twenty refound Channa fis and eight blocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a nets man in nets we had just swear and just swept.
Speaker 4: The next year before what that or whatever it wasn't next was like, you know, poor poor j Skied Richard Jefferson, that crew. You know, you were the beast in the East. But when it came to playing the teams used to wear it. He was just like, you like the legs and the clippers, You're just a little brother.
Speaker 2: So it was it was.
Speaker 4: They made it a good challenge. But if you go back and look at the East back then East was terrible. Man, they was god awful and so but Tim duncan though. That goes to show you when he wants to take over, he can take over man. He And the one thing I like about Tim when he comes to blocking shots, he didn't care if you dunked them here, Like, shit, I don't care. I don't have social media, I don't care what you say. You know, people in San Antonio gonna still about down to me. And you know most guys were shot away from trying to, you know, go up against the Venice car think you might get dunked on.
Speaker 2: They're like, no, I ain't challenging that. Tim didn't give a shit.
Speaker 4: He would try to challenge you anywhere to block it because he knew nine times out of ten he was gonna block.
Speaker 1: It and it's gonna start a fast break. All right, you're Mount rushmore teammates. You get four teammates on Mount rush, Well who you go with?
Speaker 2: Dream Shaq, Kobe Clyde took cloud over Timmy.
Speaker 4: You know what, this is the one of the things. You know, I love Timmy, but I'm going with Clyde Clyde, my boy dad. You know, sometimes personal feelings get in the way. Hey, I'm doing the Steve Kurr right now. I'm putting you know.
Speaker 2: Hey, but you know, people don't. I think people forget how good Cloud was.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: He took a kind of a back seat roll when he got to Houston. But but but Hortle Clyde Clyde, I remember him. I remember what he was dunking on everybody at five Slama Jam in the University of Houston.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but he used to Clyde used to elevate. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: And another reason I put Tim in that because I remember, you know, I'm washing the Hall of Fame ceremony and I'm watching Ruy T getting inducted, and then Rudy T gave me a shout out for the Hall of Fame and they paying through the crowd, and Tim then clapped. So that's why I ain't nobody, because hey, I just said I thought it. Calls said, motherfucker, I said, you don't have some two thousand and five excuse about Yeah, you better get.
Speaker 2: Your clasps missing that damn Last night they go.
Speaker 1: Over Spurn, got some cap space. They gotta they gotta make Hey, they got Stephan Castle, the rookie of the year, Wimby with the previous rookie of the year, they got do they would you make the move for y?
Speaker 2: Honest? Would you try to package some pieces for y honest? That's the thing you got? You forgot about damn Fox. I think.
Speaker 4: That's that's hard to say. I would because you can't pass them. Oh, I think that's gonna be the highest commanded this summer. Everybody's gonna wong with the Greek freak because he's that type of player. You know, I mentioned really how hard he played, So this is gonna be really interesting to see where he goes if Milwaukee want to give him up. But if I'm the if I'm the Spurs, we got the cast space to why not go after him because you know he'll love it there because he got a good One thing about the Spurs franchise is it's a good franchise. They're very humble franchised and you don't have to worry about a lot of outside know If you think about in LA and in the Chicago, New York there's a lot of outside knowing.
Speaker 2: So you being in Milwaukee are used to the outside.
Speaker 4: No, it's been at a minimum. So if you go to the Spurs, you're in the same thing. So I don't know if he wants that. I don't know if he wants, you know, be more. You know, I can't get no more notable in yours retreat. But does he want a bigger market