Speaker 1: The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: What's Up, everybody?
Speaker 1: This is Peter Schreger from This Season with Peter Schrager. I will direct you to earlier in the week. On Tuesday, I sat with Mike Gariffolo. We emptied our notebooks from the Combine. It is meaty, it is great. It is hitting all the teams that have quarterback needs. It's a really good pod. Go listen to that. But I also interviewed all these different decision makers at the at the combine and we wanted to put them on this podcast feed. We know you guys enjoy hearing from them. So with no further ado, here are two different interviews. So we're gonna go AFC West. Here's an interview with Sean Payton, the head coach of the Denver Broncos and New Vegas Raiders GM John Spytech. Enjoy all right, Sean Payton, did you know that Bonix was the guy?
Speaker 2: We didn't at that time. I would say that decision.
Speaker 3: Probably was finalized or we felt real strong. Wasn't just the He had a pro day on Friday and Saturday we had a private workout, and I think that Saturday, after this private workout, we felt like that was our target. Yeah, this time, at this point in time, we didn't and he really didn't throw well. Well, here are a couple of things I can recall. So for years in our league, the footballs were never broken in. They'd come right out of the box. That's a challenge for a college quarterback. I mean there's slippery, they're not broken in, and then you get in here the temperature maybe is a little cooler than you think. It's air conditioned, and so learning all of those things getting adjusted to that. Don Yee's obviously an agent that I've worked with throughout my career, and he had this young uarterback, Tom Brady, and asked me, can you call Tom and just tell them what to expect at the combine?
Speaker 2: And this was like a favor.
Speaker 3: And yeah, there was no The prep that they have now is so much different than just twenty years ago, and the understanding of what's to be expected, how to handle the interviews, how to handle the medical part of it, how to handle these drills. I've seen players that have bad ball skills that are outstanding through the gauntlet and they've just worked on it so much. So again it comes back to the medical information that's most important.
Speaker 2: And then the interview.
Speaker 1: All right, congrats another playoff season and we'll see what happens next year. I appreciate you coming down here on the field. It's nice to be down here and see some live action.
Speaker 2: Right, absolutely, yeah you could.
Speaker 3: The suites are are fine, but back in the old Hoosier Dome, this is where you went out the exit and it was inflated.
Speaker 2: See it's static.
Speaker 3: Your hair was kind of static cling and everything.
Speaker 2: That was good setup.
Speaker 1: All right, Sean Payton to be here with the new general manager of the Las Vegas Raiders, mister John Spytech.
Speaker 2: Comes from Tampa Bay. John.
Speaker 1: Busy week for everybody, but with all that stafford stuff that was going on, he's going back to the Rams. What's the week been like for the Raiders, Brass.
Speaker 4: It's been a lot of fun. First time as a GM here, working with the new staff, with Coach Carroll. Just trying to keep up with coach. I mean, I'm not going to say his age. I already got in trouble for that once in the press conference. But you know, it's been a lot of fun getting to know him, getting to know Chip a little bit better, Patrick Graham, and just trying to put a good team together and exploring every guy that's out here throwing competing today. You know, every avenue that we can get good players, We're going to do that.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Chip and Pete Carroll.
Speaker 1: We also know Tom Brady is part of the ownership group now and obviously this is your first year.
Speaker 2: Is gm Brady? What's his role?
Speaker 1: And really who are the different voices that are going to be playing a part as we looked at this another version new era of Raiders football.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I said the other day, W'd be I'd be a special kind of idiot if I didn't use Tom as a sounding board for certain places. And coach Carroll again, obviously he's got such such an amazing amount of experience and success in this league and really everywhere he's ever been. So getting to know him better and kind of what he's about, and really the first time that we connected after I got hired and started to talk to him about him coming on, we we speak the same football language, even though we come from different, very different parts of the country, and you know the age difference, but you know, it's just it's just been an awesome experience so far, getting to know all those guys, and what a resource for me and my first go around with this. And you know, again I'd be a fool not to talk to those guys. And Chip obviously had success, have always been so it's it's it's been great.
Speaker 2: Raiders have a top ten pick.
Speaker 1: Of course, we're here at the combine. How much do you get out of being here body on the on the floor, obviously looking at.
Speaker 2: The guys close up.
Speaker 1: Obviously there's a value for you guys, all of the Raiders boxes filled with personnel.
Speaker 2: Being here in person. It's great to see these kids come out here and compete.
Speaker 4: You know, these quarterbacks that haven't worked with these receivers, they just let it rip.
Speaker 2: They throw at these guys running fast.
Speaker 4: I mean that what a group of running backs that just you know, I don't know how many were sub four five, but it was over ten I know that, you know. And then the interview processes to me, the critical just to get to see these guys in persons, speak with them, ask them our questions, let them feel at these feel their personalities, or they're going to be a good ad to to the raiders.
Speaker 2: That's what we're looking for, all.
Speaker 1: Right, John Spotech coming from Tampa, but of course experience with John Lay and Denver and many other places along the way. So happy for your congratulations. First combine is a GM.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it. Appreciate it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Can I say have birthday to my mom real quick?
Speaker 2: Love you mom. And what's up Jack?
Speaker 4: My son watching thinking you're a scout right now?
Speaker 2: Love you too, Buddy.
Speaker 1: Awesome, all right, thank you, John, Appreciate it. The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL and partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get your podcasts.