Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we had fun kicking it in New York at the Wiser Symposium through wise moderating panels with and for badass women.
Speaker 2: It's Wednesday, March.
Speaker 1: Nineteenth, and on today's show will be skipping the need to Know and heading straight into my conversation with former US women's national team and pro soccer player Jill Lloyden, now an NWSL analyst and the founder and CEO.
Speaker 2: Of The Keeper Institute.
Speaker 1: We chatted about her quote unquote goalieck, how the keeper position and footy as a whole has evolved since her playing days, and we do a good old NWSL preview. She breaks down the league club by club, what she's watching for, and the strengths and weaknesses of each team. You will be so informed and ready to watch this season after you listen to this interview.
Speaker 2: She was fantastic, it's all coming up right after this joining US now.
Speaker 1: She's an NWSL analyst, CEO of the Keeper Institute who works with some of the keepers for the US women's national team, and a former pro soccer player who earned ten caps with the US women's national team herself and played for clubs including sky Blue FC, Magic Jack and the Chicago Red Stars.
Speaker 2: A Villanova Wildcat. She's a keeper. It's Jill Lloyden. What's up, Jill? Thanks for having me. I'm super pumped to chat all things. End of yours.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm so excited to have you before we break down this season and all the teams.
Speaker 2: The most important question.
Speaker 1: First, do people who say goaltender give you the ick?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I hate goalie and I hate goaltender. We're goalkeepers.
Speaker 2: We're keepers, and that's it.
Speaker 3: The British say goalie because they don't have hockey, but we have hockey here, so I prefer goalkeeper or keeper.
Speaker 1: Okay. I have learned to say keeper, not tender, but I am guilty of just sometimes saying goalie.
Speaker 2: But I'll stop now.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's if you say in a British accent. I think it'll it's okay.
Speaker 1: Can you can you do that for me?
Speaker 2: Just goalate? Goallee, yeah, yeah, golet something like that. Okay, all right, okay, tell us about the Keeper Institute.
Speaker 1: When did you know that you wanted to create a training school and how does it work?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So when I was growing up, I didn't have access to great goalkeeper coaching.
Speaker 2: I'm from South Jersey.
Speaker 3: All the great goalkeeper coaching was in North Jersey, and so I didn't have my first goalkeeper coach till I was in college, and I had someone who educated me and inspired me, gave me the tools to become the best goalkeeper I could in college, became an All American and got drafted to play in the league after that, and I always attributed my success back to that teacher. And so when I was still playing, I knew that I was fulfilled by playing soccer, but I wanted to give back to the next generation to help them achieve their goals and do crazy more important things and I would ever do as a soccer player. So when I was still playing, I started the Keeper Institute because I knew when I was done, I would transition into that and I wanted to have it already set up so that I could just start coaching right away. And yeah, we've been in business for twelve years. We have our own indoor facility, which is the only one in the country for goalkeepers work with kids eight to pro and everywhere in between.
Speaker 1: That's wild and what a cool thing for the youngsters. I'm sure they're not getting the same training at the same time, but just to be in the facility and to have that connection to the next level and see what the possibilities are. Let's talk about this era of the NWSL. You're an analyst, you're working with players currently playing. When you compare it to the one that you competed in and the precursor leagues you competed in, what stands out to you the most as different.
Speaker 3: The quality of these women is just so much higher. And I think the future of football really is in the flexibility of adapting to whatever the opponent is doing.
Speaker 2: Right, and not.
Speaker 3: Only collectively as a group, but individually. The functions of positions have changed so much, and so for example, just take the goalkeeper position. We used to be shot stoppers and that's it. We just defend the goal as best you can and lump it up the field as far.
Speaker 2: Away from the goal as possible.
Speaker 3: That's the I lived in, right, But yeah, exactly when in doubt kick it out. But now the game has changed so much because the functions of the position have evolved, and not only the goalkeeper has adapted to becoming like a sweeper like you know, another center back, but now having the capabilities of an in possession, almost like a holding midfielder. So like we saw this weekend, Manny McGlenn had an assist in a game.
Speaker 2: Because of her abilities to be brave.
Speaker 3: Come off her line and playmake and so because the game is continuing to evolve, players are starting to function in different capacities and become more well rounded, which just gives so much more flexibility to the teams and it makes it way more fun to watch because you're like, well, how is Kansas City are going to play this weekend? They're going to build in a three, They're going to build in a four. How are they going to circumvent this press and get the ball to their playmakers higher up the field.
Speaker 2: So it makes it more fun and more entertaining.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still learning a lot of the like high level strategy of footy of soccer because I played, But I remember hearing someone say that for a long stretch there, it felt like the NWSL was just like, we're going to play our style regardless of who we're facing, which was very different from watching the US women's national team that would adjust based on whether the other team was giving them a lot of space or playing defensively and waiting for them to make an error. Does it feel like that's changing in the NWSL by necessity? Like, do teams feel like the only way to thrive is to be more flexible.
Speaker 3: I think the best teams in our league are the most flexible and the most adaptable and give their players the most autonomy.
Speaker 2: So it's not you have to do these things.
Speaker 3: It's well, if the opponent does this, here are principles that are laid out, and you have choice.
Speaker 2: You can do this or you can do this. But there are.
Speaker 3: Teams in our league too, they just don't have the quality players, so they have to rely on playing the same style each week, which is really forced into by necessity. But the teams that have quality, who have really invested in their rosters and bringing players in that are wildly talented, they have the ability to play or flexible, unpredictable manner.
Speaker 1: What would you like to still see the league do or the teams do to up the level of play or play or comfort or professionalism.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, we're still I think we have to remember we're one of the best leagues in the world, but we're still in the infant stages. Of this league, I mean eleven or twelve seasons now, and so we still have a long way to go. But I'm really looking forward into academies underneath of the top teams. Right just being a goalkeeper who was under the best that's ever played in Hope solo, I didn't get that many caps because I was behind the world's best, Whereas like now, if we had academies underneath, then your second or third choice goalkeeper can go get some games on the weekend and then come back up and be rostered for the senior level games, and then that's a way that you can predictably develop talent over time to transition to your top team, which I think if we had those academies ultimately overall our country and our national teams would be better as well.
Speaker 2: But it's step by step.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a big conversation. I'd love to have you back to talk about the intricacies of the academy system everything else, but we have to do an NWSL season preview because we kind of did our own last week ahead of our interview with another keeper listener, but was pretty short, and we need a pro in here to give us a true breakdown of what to watch for this season, and you are the best of the best, So I want to go team by team and for each club, I'll keep it pretty broad. I just want to see your ws W what you're watching for, and then strengths and weaknesses. So let's start with the defending champion, Orlando Pride first. What are you most watching for with this team?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking for some of the young talent that seb Hines has brought in because he's had this great track record of being able to develop talent into becoming impact players, not just role players that you just well, we don't really have anybody else for right wings, We're gonna put in Ali Watt. No, he is actually getting this ceiling out of her every single game. So I'm really looking forward to see how they continue to evolve and adapt and get some of those younger players because Marta is going to be here for a very limited time, so they're going to have.
Speaker 2: To figure out how to evolve themselves.
Speaker 3: But the one thing I love so much about them is their defensive stability.
Speaker 2: They have to be the best defensive.
Speaker 3: Team in the whole world, in my opinion, and I think that that has been their platform to build their successful attack upon.
Speaker 1: Okay, that leads me right into strengths. I'm guessing you're going to talk defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think that they're so calculated and they're very measured, and I think the real everyone says, you know, Marta is a superstar. I believe it's StEB Hines. I think he is brilliant. I think he creates an environment where people can grow, where players can individually get better and figure out how they add to the team because there's so much flexibility in their left wing position or any of their positions, and allow the freedom for their personalities to shine. So I think that he really is like think about you know your closet and you've got to figure out the best dress code to go to an event in he's the best at picking out you know, whether you're wearing the.
Speaker 2: Three piece suit or whatever. But yeah, I'm really.
Speaker 3: Looking forward to seeing how he continues to evolve this team.
Speaker 1: A lot of strength at head coaching. I agree with you, though, I will clip this off and aggregate it and send it out to you saying a lot of people think Marta is a superstar, not me, not her. Nothing to do with their hot take hot take. What about weaknesses?
Speaker 3: Ooh, this is gonna be a hard one. I think their weakest position is goalkeeper. I think on a Morehouse's weaknesses get masked by this team because they're so defensively solid and they have such a commitment to get numbers back behind the ball.
Speaker 2: And you know, even.
Speaker 3: Marda, she's still running out, hustling setting the standard for the rest of the team. So I think they insulate their goalkeeper a little bit. So that's something. I think she's typically good for one mistake of game, so that's something they're going to want to continue to limit opportunities on their goal.
Speaker 1: Okay, last year's runners up, the Washington Spirit, what are you most watching for?
Speaker 2: I can't wait for their roster to get healthy.
Speaker 3: I mean, when their roster is healthy, they are fighting to be one of the best teams in the league. I mean, they can beat teams in transition. That is their bread and butter. And even with all of the injuries that they had toward the end of last year, they were still finding ways to pick teams off, even though everyone knew that was their super strength, still finding ways to pick teams off and get the ball into the attacking third and to their playmakers as quick as possible.
Speaker 2: They will do that this year as well.
Speaker 3: The next evolution for them is getting some of those players back that can allow for more dynamic attacks in the final thirds. So when Kroubethun comes back, when Uleisar comes back, they have so many dynamic pieces and it's just so fun to watch because they're having so much fun and they feel comfortable and confident. And when teams feel comfortable you can't quantify that in a stat but it's just like the game slows down for them and they just have so many different like all right, well, what way are we going to unlock this back line today? And it just it doesn't feel like if it will happen. It feels like when yeah.
Speaker 1: So the strength transition game.
Speaker 2: What else? I mean?
Speaker 3: I think their creativity when they have a full complement of players. Right now, I think they have like thirteen healthy players, which has been their biggest constraint at this point, playing players out of position, in uncomfortable positions, out of necessity. But yeah, I think over time, adding some of these younger players like McKenna Morris, who has developed so much and contributing so much into the attack. I think it is going to just add another layer for teams to have to cope with and their weaknesses. At this point, I do believe that they need more possession.
Speaker 2: I think they need the ball a little bit more.
Speaker 3: But they did bring in Narumi from the North Carolina courage, who's going to add a bit more composure in the midfield. I mean, Narumi plays like she has eyes in the back of her head. She can solve pressure from all angles. She's so press resistant. It's those clever little two three yard movements that getting good angles of support that's going to bring out the best in how hirshfelt as well, because now Hirshfeldt has an immediate option to her left or right to be able to dish the ball to and make it really simple. It's just as a collective unit, they need to be better in transition. If it's on great go, I mean they can slice through teams, but if it's not on consolidate possession, and that's going to help with their defensive side of the ball as well.
Speaker 1: So correct me if I'm wrong. What I'm hearing is decision making in those moments of transition. So while they thrive when it works well. They also sometimes push it when it's not there, and then that prevents them from hanging out to possession and setting something up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it definitely mutes their attack, but it also leaves them open and transition themselves on the defensive side of right.
Speaker 1: Fair Okay, Casey Current who A lot of us, just you know, non biased thought would be really cool to see in that championship game at their own stadium last year. They came up just short, but they come back obviously with tem wasshewinga and a real good shot again this year.
Speaker 2: So what do you watching for?
Speaker 3: I mean, I believe that this team is going to be the top contender for the Shield. I think between Washington, Kansas City, and Orlando, I think that these are gonna be the three teams that are gonna be the front runners for the Shield. I mean they have quality in every position that in every single position, and not just one player, two players and three different players.
Speaker 2: Debinia can play all over the field.
Speaker 3: We didn't even see Bea Zanarat in the first game, and to me, she could be the best player in the league and most influential players in the league in terms of how she can unlock space for other people. How she can play make the final ball, her crosses into the box. I just think, you know, I think she's so multi dimensional and just can elevate what Tim much the winger can do as well. Okay, strengths strengths their transition game from A to B and their turnovers and the way that they can combine.
Speaker 2: It's not just one pass.
Speaker 3: It's not like we're going to pick you off through Hutton and Low Labonta and immediately played in behind. We're going to pick you off through Lola Bonta and Claire Hutton, and then we're going to quickly combine in three different places and then we're going to draw them in and then exploit the space in behind. To me, it's unstoppable because teams are their heads are spinning, they're trying to you know, spin plates on their feets and their hands, and they're trying to keep Tim washawinga silent. But it's really Vanessa de Bernardo's movement and de Bean's movement that teams get occupied with, and then that leaves to wing ope and so I don't know how you defend it. I'm so glad that I don't have to be a coach on other teams because I just I don't know how you defend her.
Speaker 1: Or a keeper back there watching Sawego break out in front of the pack and go one b one like we saw in that first game weaknesses.
Speaker 3: I know people are going to think I'm like super critical, but I'm still wondering how their goalkeeper is going to do. Lowdan and bringing in a Brazilian goalkeeper, first Brazilian goalkeeper to come to our league. I think that's probably for a reason because the Brazilians haven't had the best women's goalkeepers in their history, so so maybe not a doubt, maybe just a question mark to see how that translates.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a quick break when we come back more with Jill Lluyden.
Speaker 2: Don't move a muscle.
Speaker 1: Gotham f C. Interesting off season for them, but still a lot of talent. What are you watching for?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think wan Carlos Amros's style is very distinct, very different than most teams in the league, and I think he has coined it controlled chaos, and it's something that takes time, and it takes fluidity, and it takes a lot of flexible players.
Speaker 2: And a lot of special players.
Speaker 3: To play this way, you have to have two very competent center backs and of competent holding midfielder and competent goalkeeper because they take so many risks with getting numbers forward and then they counterpress and they take a lot of risks to try to win it back close to their goal that the natural place you're vulnerable is in behind them, the space behind the two center backs. So you need to have players that can proactively defend, and you need to have a really brave goalkeeper that plays a high vertical position. And so I'm just curious, you know, with some of the mass exodus that happened in the offseason, if these new players can quickly adapt to his style and take on some of the principles of play.
Speaker 1: But and Katrin Berger back there is a pretty good person to have if that's your style. And same with Tieranna Davidson. Yeah, those are two you can count on back there.
Speaker 2: And Emily's on it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I compared her last year to like, I'm a mom, i have two kids, and I'm constantly walking behind my kids and cleaning up their mess. And that's what Emily Son it does for this Speaking.
Speaker 1: Of controlled chaos, right, yeah, exactly. You kind of gave us some strengths and weaknesses in there, but hit those real quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think their strength is their ability to keep the ball and get it in established territory, get it into their final third as often as possible, and allow players in the wide channels to either go one b one. And having Midge versus back is a huge addition.
Speaker 2: So exciting. Yeah, I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: I love watching her play and Rose level and seeing how that connection works out in the final third. I think this space they're exposed in is behind their back line.
Speaker 1: It is pretty gross when we're like, oh them lost everyone, and then you're just ripping off the names of people they still have. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go to the Utah Royals.
Speaker 2: What are you watching for other than Ali, Sentin or Bangers? Yeah, yeah, we're always on that alert. Can't you score in the box is what we're all watching for. That's fair. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm really looking forward to some of their new players that they have on their team. They brought in Alex Loyda, who I think is going to contribute a lot when she gets healthy, hopefully in the next couple months, and that's going to be able to push Claudia's or nose a little bit higher up in the fields. And I'm really excited to see her relationship with me.
Speaker 2: And it's Knock up front as well as Ali Sentinor.
Speaker 3: They have playmakers in the back, and now they've figured out how to break lines with their possession, and now I'm curious to see how those three can work together in the final third to create the openings in their opponent's defensive lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Tanaka and set Nor on the same team, after watching both of them in the She Beliefs Cup do their own thing is pretty fun. Strengths on that team.
Speaker 2: Manny mcglenn's got to be their greatest asset.
Speaker 3: I think a team's ability starts with the foundation of their goalkeeper and how they can play both on the ball but also out of possession. And we saw how important Manny mcglenn's contribution was this weekend, playing super high, almost as like that second or third center back, and she had an assist.
Speaker 2: She was able to read the movement of the midfield.
Speaker 3: They baited that movement back and then Bianca Saint George making the run in behind was a fantastic recognition from Mandy and great execution of her final pass. So I think that's one of their greatest strengths. Maybe one of their biggest weaknesses is their play from their fullbacks. We haven't quite seen how they're going to defend the wide areas yet. I think they've had some injuries in that area, but I'm looking forward to see if a Mani Dorsy can come back and contribute.
Speaker 1: It's funny you're talking up many Mglenn changing like the field in the way that she's able to push up and be a part of play, and as the Chicago Bears fan, it's just reminding me of Devin Hester as this return man that like completely changed out the team played because they started from a like further up the field than any other team every single time, even if he didn't score on punts and kick returns. I don't know why my brain went there, but I'm just thinking about how if you do have that talent back there, it can totally sort of flip the field in the way that you're positioning and imagining your attack. So now that you keep talking about that, I'm gonna have to watch that more closely. Okay, San Diego.
Speaker 2: Wait what are you watching for?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 3: They're my biggest wild card going into the season. I was like, who are all these players, these international players that they've brought in, and who are they going to be under this new manager?
Speaker 1: Because also like no Alex Morgan and Naomi Germa just to start, and lots of other people gone, but like those two in particular, like that's who the Wave are in my mind.
Speaker 3: Right, and Jane Shaw too, I mean, she buried a huge creative burden on that team, but they had such a distinct style for so long with Casey's and now I'm just really curious of like, well, who are they this now with all these new players, and it's almost like a changing of the guard there.
Speaker 2: We've had these.
Speaker 3: Older players retire or we had these younger players leave, and so who are they going to be? I mean, I was super impressed with them last night against Angel City and their ability to build out and and their brave build up.
Speaker 2: I'm really encouraged.
Speaker 3: Excited to see who these what this team could be. Cas Garino's got to be one of the most entertaining, fun players on the ball.
Speaker 1: It is kind of wild for a team as young as they are to already be onto a new era, a new generation, changing of the guard.
Speaker 2: We just met the first guard and now they're gone.
Speaker 1: Ready, Yeah, strengths of this.
Speaker 2: Team Killen Sheridan.
Speaker 3: I mean she's very similar in my mind to Mandy Glenn. I mean, they've could have easily conceded three goals last night. I thought she stood on her head. She had one of her best performances, and they need her. She's the captain, she's the leader. She's been there the longest. She is the best personality of the greatest character and they need to rely on them all season long. So as long as she's doing well, I think this team's going to be in a good place.
Speaker 1: I love how most previews they might not mention a keeper once, and you're like, well, in every one of these teams, it's either their finest point or their weakest point, no argument. What about weaknesses for the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how Savanna mccaskell does this season because I think she has a high, high ceiling, a high ceiling player, and they really could build their attack upon her and her ability to link her ability to playmake get into the final third and we haven't seen the best from her quite yet in San Diego, but I think the potential is there, and I think if they can retain possession a little bit longer, they're going to be able to create some opportunities.
Speaker 1: Okay, Angel City watching for what other than a coach to show up, that's a.
Speaker 2: Big red flag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am curious, because you know, if you stay the same, you're moving backwards in this league, and everybody is getting better in every offseason. All of these teams are adding more pieces to their puzzle to make their team stronger, and I just feel like Angel City really didn't add anybody that I'm like, Wow, that player is going to make a really big difference. I think they brought in Alana Kennedy, who isn't really going to add any bit of.
Speaker 2: You know, mobility or use to this team.
Speaker 3: But they did start some young players last night in Macy Hodge and Riley Tiernan up top, and that kind of falls in line with the way that Sam Lady wants to play in terms of like that high pressure attack.
Speaker 1: Thompson's sister is still young. They've been around a couple of years, still quite young and looking good. What about strengths and weaknesses for ACFC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they're They're dynamic partnership and the way they collaborate up their left hand side with m Vanola and Alyssa Thompson is a really fun pairing to watch. I think they play really well off each other, occupying different spaces which unlock some space for them higher up the field. Their weaknesses, I think probably is just the mobility in the midfield. Is this league is a transition league and last year that was their biggest achilles heel. They can see it far too many goals in transition and in open space, and I think that was because of the lack of mobility in their midfield.
Speaker 1: Okay, BFC up the coast, what you're watching for Rachel Kunanaji.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm seeing what she can do on the ball again, do it? That's what happens?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think they have a lot of pieces. I'm actually really excited about this team. I think they were trending upward to the latter part of the season. Last year they were trying to refine their identity and in the beginning of the year Albertine said, we don't care about defending. We just want to attack, and I think that was the naive game plan early on in the season, and to his credit though they adapt it well. They changed their structure. They were a bit more conservative and they attacked with their defense in mind. They also changed their personnel, bringing in Abby dal Kemper. They started playing Alissa Malansa, and they just put Keky Pickett in the holding midfield position. And with a little bit of a mentality change and a personnel change, they stopped con seeting so many goals and that allows them to take more risks to get higher up into the field.
Speaker 1: What about strengths and weaknesses.
Speaker 3: I mean, their strengths certainly is in transition. They've got vertical threats in Ashwala and Kundanaji and that's something that they're going to continue to utilize. But their greatest weakness is utilizing that way too much, and we saw that in their first game this weekend. I thought they weren't very decisive in transition. They looked for Kundananji, or they looked long, or they conceded it too cheaply in transition, and that could be Week one woes, but that also can be a tactical game plan. But I really am looking forward to see how their new formation works out for them in that three.
Speaker 1: Five to two and a weakness.
Speaker 2: Maybe not a weakness.
Speaker 3: I like the fact that they actually changed their defensive shape to have three center backs.
Speaker 2: I really do like that.
Speaker 3: But they have a young goalkeeper that's only played one game and they have no other goalkeepers on their roster that have played a single minute in the league. So maybe not a weakness, maybe just a question mark, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, Racing Louisville watching for what.
Speaker 3: How this team gels under Bevvinez in her second year. This team has some of the best individuals in the league. I think their midfield could be one of the best. It just felt like last year they never truly got into a real rhythm and a style, and once they had enough time to implement the style they wanted, they had to change because then they were in the playoff race and they were forced into desperation football and situational football. They let Abby Orsa go and they're bringing another center back, which I think is going to be super helpful for them to aid in their build out. Abby Orsig's fantastic defensive player, but didn't add as much on the attacking side of the ball, and I think that kind of hurt Katie Linda on both sides of the ball. So yeah, I'm just curious to see how those personalities going to go.
Speaker 1: Strengths and weaknesses.
Speaker 3: You said the midfield, I mean Ari borgiis Savannah de Mello, Taylor Flint name a better midfield three compliment, right.
Speaker 2: But it's just going to be up to how they util that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they can be great on the ball and their approach plate can be good, but they need to be finding ways to break teams down.
Speaker 1: Okay, Portland Thorns, what you're watching for a hero to step up? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Who's going to score for them? That's what I'm concerned with.
Speaker 3: But like also, I've never in Portland's history thought about who's going to score for them. My biggest concerns have always been on the defensive side of the ball, and unfortunately those defensive woes are still there and now it's going to a bigger question mark of who's going to score.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the weaknesses. Obviously, they lost players to retirement, Sophia Wilson, Slash Smith out with pregnancy, so nobody to score, and a defense that struggles is a bad combination. Can you find a strength?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, Sam Coffee is got to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the base of their midfield's got to be one of their greatest strengths in terms of shielding the back four, giving them a little bit more protection, also giving them the ability to combine through the thirds. And her relationship with Huina Sigita, I think is going to be really important. So those two in the midfield, I'm still waiting for, you know, Jesse Fleming to add more to this Portland Thorn's team. They brought Dana Costiano's in there. I'm curious to see how she plays and interprets the nine position. Is it going to be like more of a false nine to ten or is she going to be able to provide a vertical threat as well?
Speaker 1: And to strength is that everybody can go to the sports bra for a beer after the game. So we still got that in Portland. Okay, North Carolina Courage, what are you watching for? We know they can possess the ball, we know it.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're one of the best in the in the league in their terms of their approach play and their ability to repeatably gain territory to the final third.
Speaker 2: Now, can they score goals.
Speaker 3: That's going to be the separator for them being good in this league and being great and consistently being in the top four and challenging for a potential shield at some point. I'm really looking forward to seeing Jaydenshaw. I think Sean Ajas is one of the best coaches in this league, and he's good at individual development, and he's good at holding players accountable and getting the best out of them. And I'm looking for her to be consistent on a weekend week out.
Speaker 1: Basis not just a great player, but such an interesting person, funny, smart, thoughtful, like really great interview.
Speaker 2: Just I think going to be a star.
Speaker 1: The more people get to know her, they really really get to see her strengths and weaknesses.
Speaker 2: For the Courage.
Speaker 3: Strengths for North Carolina is their build out and their ability to possess the ball. And they've got eleven footballers on their team who at any point in time are trying to become an option to the ballcarrier. So they have these distinct passing routes through the field that allow them to just break through teams so easily. Can they make more of that though, can they get their better plays isolate it? And something I really like about them is they don't just settle for these like aimless crosses in the box that they're really fighting for high quality chances. Can they sustainably do that and then not only make them, but exploit them and finish them.
Speaker 1: Houston Dash providing some excitement this offseason, giving people a little bit of hope for a team that's kind of been bottom of the table most of the time. So what are you watching for with the Dash?
Speaker 3: This is the first year I've ever been optimistic about Houston Dash. I've never really been like, Wow, I'm encouraged, I'm inspired. I think they've got something there. But this year I do. I'm like, very encouraged by them. I think it's a project and it's going to take time, but I do think they're going to have the ability to challenge and be in the hut on the last day for playoffs. Bringing in players like yas Me, Ryan Delaney, Sheehan, Danny Colaprico, Kristen westfall Abby Smith.
Speaker 2: These are all proven pros that have.
Speaker 3: Been there, done that, wore the T shirt, know how to be good teammates in the locker room, know how to have great character when things are going sideways, because it's going to happen. But I'm excited. I think Fabriska Chraw's is a great soccer tactician and I am looking forward to seeing how that matriculates on the field for them.
Speaker 1: Okay, strengths and weaknesses.
Speaker 3: Strengths, I think they have added more control in their midfield, so Danny Colaprico Delaney sheet and these are footballers. These are players who can break teams down with possession. And They've had a very industrious midfield in the past and now they've got they still got a little bit of that muscle destructive side of them, but they've also got the ability to break teams down and progress the ball through the thirds, which is something that katral is gonna want from this team, is to possess the ball because you're playing in you know, the inner core of the sun heat for four to five months a night, so you have to possess the ball.
Speaker 1: So weaknesses besides melting.
Speaker 3: I think their biggest challenge this year is going to be retaining that optimism when you're getting some inconsistent performances, because you're going to have some good games, and you're gonna have some tough games, and you know they're gonna have some teething problems, and they're gonna give away possession in bad areas like they did against Washington Spirit.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get punished for it.
Speaker 3: But can they stick to the plan, continue to struggle during training sessions so that when it comes to the game they feel more comfortable and confident to execute their game plan.
Speaker 1: Okay, Chicago Stars, what are you watching for.
Speaker 2: A miracle divine intervention movement?
Speaker 1: It's like the meme with the stick, like do something, Yeah, don't just sit there.
Speaker 2: It is quite interesting.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest question mark is if Mallory Swanson's gonna be able to contribute to this group. Right, they were one of those teams I was talking about earlier where they have one way of playing and that's really it, right.
Speaker 1: Yet the ball to mal out up front and watch her go yeah one before yeah.
Speaker 3: Their attack is fueled by their defense. We're going to be so compact, so difficult to break through. We're not going to take many chances in the build out.
Speaker 2: We don't need the ball. We're going to be really good without the ball.
Speaker 3: We're going to control the game by defending well and looking for male Swanson in transition, and I mean she is one of one of three players who are the best transitional threats in the league, like generational talent we're talking. And so you're missing that piece, which is then going to force you to possess a little bit more because you don't have that transitional piece. But it's also going to cause a lot of compromise because who's going to make off for the attack?
Speaker 2: Everybody else has to do it.
Speaker 3: So then now you're open in small areas of the field you didn't want to be open in, and so on the defensive side of the ball, they are skinny in their roster. It's a good thing that Sam Stobb is coming back.
Speaker 2: That's going to be helpful.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I know the Stars are going to be hoping that Mouse Watson can contribute this season.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a lot of weaknesses. What would be a strength.
Speaker 3: I mean they still have Ludmila, which I think she yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: It kind of went under the radar when they added her because they just weren't that great of a team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think one thing I loved about them last year was they beat the teams they were supposed to. They got two points from the top four teams. They drew Kansas City and they drew Orlando. But besides that, they just beat everybody else that was going to eventually end up underneath of them. They were very consist in that, and they were actually really good away because opponents took more chances when they're at home because they want to go and win the game. And because of that, they got opened up in transition and that.
Speaker 1: Really suited Chicago laid into their style.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean they're gonna have to defend well, they're gonna have to stave off pressure, they're gonna have to struggle well.
Speaker 2: And if they can struggle well, I think they're going to have a chance in some games.
Speaker 1: Wow, Hi Pra Okay, finally the Seattle Rain. What are you watching for?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking for reinvention from this team. I think just coming into this year with new ownership is going to be a huge weight off of Laura Harvey's shoulders in terms of, you know, we have some more resources, we have backing, we have people who are helping us make these decisions and are supporting us. Because that was something they were missing last year, and she couldn't really bring in any new players, so that's going to be good. They brought in Lynn Biandolo new Williams, and I think she's going to add a lot to the attack and help bring out the best in Jorda Heine, who hasn't really been the most effective player in this league. But we also have to remember she's quite young and at times last year was like doing it all by herself.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking forward to seeing how that all works out.
Speaker 1: Okay, strengths for Seattle.
Speaker 3: They've always been a great defensive team, and they've got some really good leadership up the spine of their team in Lou Barnes and Jess Fishlock, and having them contribute on a weekly basis I think is going to be helpful.
Speaker 2: They missed them at the end.
Speaker 3: Of last year, so yeah, I think the defense is something that's always going to be part.
Speaker 1: Of their DNA and a weakness.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I do think they're going to score more goals this year. I think Lynn is going to help Heidema. I think that's going to bring out the best, and then they've got some young, fresh players, attacking players and a damis who's going to be able to take players on one v one find some gaps inside the penalty area to exploit the opponent. So yeah, I'm curious to see how that reinvention project goes.
Speaker 1: All right, those fourteen teams next year will be joined by the Denver team and the Boston team AKA coming soon FC. So I want to quickly ask you about Boston. What's your reaction to the whole name debacle and now the questions about the stadium and the potential lawsuit that alleges that they acquired it in ways that were untoured or otherwise illegal. It's just a lot for a team that hasn't played a game yet or have a single player.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of on brand with NBSL one point.
Speaker 1: Oh the drama, right, Gosh, I thought we had moved on from one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are, we are.
Speaker 3: We're well beyond that now, but it is reminiscent of that. But I think, yeah, I'm excited to see how it all works out for them, because I think Boston is such a wonderful football market and part of the league in the WUSA and the WPS, and it's just part of like the soccer culture here in the Northeast, so I'm excited to see them get their act together and also excited for a name change.
Speaker 1: Agreed. I like breaking too Electric Boogloo because of the Boston Breakers. I don't think they're gonna go with that. I just I think that works. Do you have a favorite for the Denver team names that are out there.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest, I didn't really love them all. Peak was it peak FC was one of them? Or the fourteen ers.
Speaker 1: Or Yeah, they're so handful that none of them quite hit. Yeah, but they were close. I do like the idea of incorporating like gold somehow because I just think that not enough teams like really take that color run and run with it in a fun way. But I haven't heard quite the right thing yet. Yeah. Okay, we're running out of time here, so real quick. I just want your opening weekend takeaways on the keeper side. I know we talked a lot about it in the team previews, but is there anything else that you saw that you were like, Ooh, the average fans should know more about this or understand what they're watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is something I'm so passionate about, is that our league has good goalkeepers, and our league has great goalkeepers. Good goalkeepers good shots stoppers, right, they make the saves that they're supposed to make. Innately, being a good goalkeeper meets you are a good shot stopper. But what makes a goalkeeper great, and I think there's a few that have really separated themselves from the pack, is all the peripheral edges of goalkeeping. So your ability to be preventative. So not only are you stopping shots, you're stopping them before they even take place. So your vertical positioning is really high, your communication is really good, you're organizing your leading, you've got aggressive final actions to be able to transfer pressure onto the attackers.
Speaker 2: But you are also very good.
Speaker 3: In possession because if your team is retaining possession, the opponent can't score. And if you're playmaking and breaking lines, it's going to cause a lot of problems for opponents. So the goalkeepers I'm thinking of specifically Mandy McGlenn, Kayln Sheridan, and Katrin Berger. I think we're going to see elements of it from Jane Campbell and Casey Murphy and and Anderson is somebody that I've got my own as well.
Speaker 1: Doesn't qualify because hamstrung by the team in front of her.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Elyssa is one of the best shots stoppers, but they don't really ask her to be quite ris preventative. She's going to have to come up with the world he saves that. You're like, your mouth's on the floor. How does she do that every game.
Speaker 1: Right, as opposed to being set up to prevent that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're finishing with the toughest question of the day. It is time for the long awaited return of fight me. Jill. You will answer this and then we will send it out to the foaming at the mouth folks on social media to fight you and say whether you're right or not. Don't think, just say it. Top three US women's national team goalkeepers of all time in order Hope.
Speaker 2: Solo, Brianna Scurry listener.
Speaker 1: All right, we're putting that out on social We'll see if the slices and the folks out in the world see things the same way. Jill. We talk so much about the issues in this league, and rightfully so, it was so cool to just talk about the soccer and to get your expert opinion on all these teams. I feel so informed and I'm so much more excited to go out and watch these games with an I for a lot of the things that you talked about.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much for taking the time to talk.
Speaker 1: To us, Thanks for having me, Thanks so much to Jill for joining us. I feel so much smarter, so good. We have to take another break when we come back. Time to trade those keeper gloves for boxing gloves. Figuratively, of course. Welcome back slices. You heard it in the interview, a segment we haven't done in a long time. I said what I said, so you know what.
Speaker 2: Fight me?
Speaker 1: You heard. Jill's all time US women's national team keeper rankings number one, Hope Solo number two, Brianna Scurry number three, Alyssa there now, we want to hear your thoughts. Do you think she's got it right? She got beef with her picks? What about your own list?
Speaker 2: Let us know.
Speaker 1: You can hit us up at good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy. I'll also post them on social and we'll let the crazies go to town over there as well. Don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's really easy, y'all. Watch filling out March Madness brackets in the year twenty twenty five, rating sixty three out of sixty three Impossible decisions review. Have you seen the unreal amount of parody across the country these past few weeks? Analysis paralysis feels like an appropriate response. How am I supposed to choose winners when every team has a legit shot? I might be better off just flipping a coin to decide each winner. Actually, that's not a bad idea. Let me go find some change.
Speaker 2: Now it's your turn, rate and review.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening, slices, See you tomorrow. Good game, Jill, Good game all you keepers out there, including my husband. Oh few people who bypass the keepers in their soccer analysis.
Speaker 2: They are literally the last line of defense. Hashtag oversight.
Speaker 1: Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutter, Britney Martinez and Grace Lynch. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm Your host Sarah Spain