Speaker 1: On today's episode The Command Center Podcast, we talked about the new Director of Player Personnel, David Blackburn. We talk about OTAs, do they matter, do they not matter? What did we try to get out of them? And we talk about our starting five NFL players that could play in the NBA right now, and there's tons of story time and Fred for Heisman, Smoot for Heisman. It all starts right now. Welcome to The Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Fred Smoot and Santana Moss. And for you guys watching listening, whenever you guys are doing the fans, we still have that email that hawk outside at gmail dot com. That'll be Burr. Yeah, that'll be in the description. And we're taking requests for shirts. I think that's coming to a close here kind of any day now. And then we've got a ton of great support on that, by the way, We've got thousands of emails. We're really excited. And make sure you're leaving show ideas there. That'll be awesome too. And then also we have a live show coming up and June fourteenth. We don't have a venue yet, but please stay tuned and keep watching the podcast. We'll make that announcement probably out here, but we can't wait to kind of get to meet you guys and hang out in person. But now let's get to the show. One thing we were talking about before we started is your guys draft class. Yes, yeah, and you said how many Hall of Famers are in your draft class?
Speaker 2: We got securely right now, four to five, probably like five more on Dick.
Speaker 1: And so it's really funny because we've did something about your draft class earlier, and so who were some names from your draft class? Just real quickly, let's start with receiver. Let's start with receivers.
Speaker 3: So many receivers.
Speaker 4: So if I just start off from the first round and to the you know, just names that I know of.
Speaker 3: We had David.
Speaker 4: Robinson, uh, your boy who was here, Rodart, and myself.
Speaker 3: Steve Johnson.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting that the guys that are really good were the guys that were picked later.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'm well Chris, Chris Chambers.
Speaker 4: We talked about Christian Chamber. We had this a speedy punk returner too well, I mean Dante Hall Dante.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So was this like, I mean, I don't know, it's hard to say. What was your class? Like it feels like just once on some of those names kind of generational.
Speaker 3: It was generational.
Speaker 4: We changed the league runs. I mean, even I think about it. I came in as a first round pick at five to nine ye five nine and a half, and they were saying that at the time that I was too short to even be a top ten pick. They didn't see a guy my size coming in being a top ten pick. Guys who went who went the top ten, core In Robinson, David Terrell, and even all the guys who went in front of me, Rod Gardner, those guys were all taller, you know what I mean. So when me and Steve Smith was able to be successful as fire because I think both of us hit it our same year. I know Steve seime out the gate. He was a Pro Bowl as a special teamer the season, but as a receiver. If I'm not mistaken, don't quote me. I remember I had my first thousand yards in year three. That was the year two of me playing. Didn't play my first year Steve. If I'm not mistaken, Jason might have to pull us up. He either had one thousand yards either year two or year three as well.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, you think about it.
Speaker 4: If you think about it, us at that size primarily outside we slots. We didn't play in the slot, we lay it outside. It changed the whole spectrum of how they view guys, you know, smaller receivers coming to the league.
Speaker 3: So and not all just odditist. You got me skinny corner.
Speaker 2: Then you got Michael Vick, not the tallest quarterback, but he runner for two forty. You got you got Drew Brees, who's don't fit any numbers, too short. So we had some oddities in our class that we had Steve Hutchinson at the office of line like we had office of Lineman.
Speaker 4: We had all kinds like douce mcalla stuff tom So, We Travis Henry, Richard Seymour, Richard Seymour, Big Mark Strode, big Bore name from Florida. We had Alex Brown, Alex Brown not just d lineman from which one from Florida had that was Alex Brown Brown? Oh you talking about big Boy played Detawn He played detached, was it? Huh huh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Big Jur I mean Jered Ward. And we had Dan Morgan.
Speaker 4: Morgan came class.
Speaker 1: So obviously these names are they're lost on me because I'm too young. But if you if you are familiar with these names, you're like, man, that dude was sick, Yeah, was sick, had.
Speaker 4: Had great season, like they was great career, great, great careers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Todd Heap is wild.
Speaker 1: That's a wild one. I mean just like because that he was like maybe the best of the position, like LT was maybe the best position Steve Smith to mention Chad.
Speaker 3: Johnson, Michael Vie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the whole thing. It's just it's so.
Speaker 3: Weird kind of tackle.
Speaker 1: When you kind of tie it all back to the same draft class. You know what I'm saying, Yeah, that's just wild.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: You were talking about a Heisman class too, right, was it? You were seventh in the seven? You were not nine. There's no way you were.
Speaker 4: I believe Chris Winky won our class. So Chris Winky was also Chris with us. Yeah, Chris Winky came out that year also with I mean that just he won the Heisman that year. I believe big with second or third.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know so, I just think it's so crazy how like the guys that were drafted really high, like weren't necessarily like.
Speaker 3: The bit you know what I'm saying, It's never like that it never drafted.
Speaker 1: I always think that that's why like having good scouts and good people in the building.
Speaker 4: Super I'm glad you spoke about that, because that was if I had one thing I always thought about throughout my career was owning up to where I was drafted. So you know, like it was like enough, that was one of the things that hunted me. I can't say it hunted me, but I thought about it every day really because I got hurt out the gate.
Speaker 3: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I got hurt before I played a game in the NFL. So to not have that season and see everybody else playing, you know, think about the snoop minus. Also I was I remember having my brace on my my thing, my my true rookie season.
Speaker 3: And I'm sitting on the shoe.
Speaker 4: Huh. I had a lateral niscus t I tore so much that did so what we did was back then they wanted to carve me on to have me back out there for four weeks. I went home for a second opinion. I came back with surgery already because my guy told me, say, Tanna, if I sing you back up there, you're probably last six years. If that you say, if I save your meniscus right now, they're gonna be mad with you. I'm gonna give you a longer you know, career dude playing.
Speaker 1: I will say this, the way they used to do meniscus, yeah, was is now looking back on it crazy just straight slipped out and keep it moving and it's like you're just straight bone on bone.
Speaker 4: So so it's so crazy that we're talking about it. Because even with me having a surgery after the season, I had to have another surgery because a piece of it didn't attach, so I was had a body floating floating in there to where so I had two surgeries before I even got a chance to play football.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Yeah, that's wild man, But I didn't. I didn't realize because you're a guy to me that like you're pretty chill. Yeah, but like that that dug at you, I.
Speaker 4: Dug it man bothered me. And that's why I said I was so amy about my preper erration. That's what made me the guy. I mean, I was already him far as getting ready to prepare, you know, preparing myself for each season. But I was more on that than anything because I didn't want to be a failure at being a first round pick.
Speaker 1: You're Santana Moss without that adversity.
Speaker 3: Now everything needs to happen.
Speaker 4: Everything happened for a reason, bro, Like if you saw, if you saw how I got here, what they had for me, if you saw how I got here, that's a that alone made me who I am.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Yeah, so Fred, so Tanna is telling this heartfelt story.
Speaker 4: Was really you got Fred.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we can put this on the screen, but like, it's a picture of Fred forre Heisman.
Speaker 3: Let me see. I don't know where you found it. Made this yourself. I took a picture of it. It was to be aboard.
Speaker 4: I told you it was deuce for Heisman. It was deuce for Heisman, and it was smooth for I tell y'all. One thing though, man, being that I played Wade in Miami and didn't know nothing about no other conference but the Big East, which I was in the A c C because Florida State was in and SEC because.
Speaker 3: Florida was in that.
Speaker 4: I heard smooth name so much, man, so he ran our college for four years. I was there. You heard Fred Smooth doing something so Fred was that dude.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's too young, too young. What I had going on?
Speaker 4: Fred backed it up, man heat. He talked a lot of junk, but he went out there and played some good football.
Speaker 1: Man, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And I played it.
Speaker 1: So you're no no no bs.
Speaker 3: No bs. I was hyped up coming out of college.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I was very That's why I believe we're just checking.
Speaker 1: He said. He was very specific about it. No listen, I was that boy. I know you young, that boy, I know you young. Well, I can't say that because I didn't do anything in college.
Speaker 4: My generation was Yeah, if you say cornerback, they're gonna bring my name up. So you know how like you go to Like I told you, we already shared this story about us going to the Playball American and the way you know, when guys respect guys, they gonna respect guy who they feel like he got something. I knew fred name before I got up there. I'm like this, damn Fred smooth, and he showed.
Speaker 3: Me love out the gates. I said, Okay, that's respect. I like that.
Speaker 4: But I heard him talk that everybody else you're gonna have.
Speaker 1: To bleep that. It's not surprising, but I was.
Speaker 3: Laughing to myself. I knew all things about him. I had to stunter of them all.
Speaker 4: Like fred was telling people their whole background, what they can do, what they can't do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh Freddie Millers, you only can do this, see you. They got to give you the ball. See you can't.
Speaker 4: You can't run rounds like I'm boy down in Miami.
Speaker 3: After you and I'm sitting there like, man, who is he can't run round Like? But if you throw on the screen, didn't turn it into a touchdown?
Speaker 1: You're doing that on purpose? Or is that just how you work?
Speaker 3: That's just how I am. Bro.
Speaker 4: He just was like he wasn't trying to get on your skull.
Speaker 1: He just was talking.
Speaker 3: That's why I tell him.
Speaker 4: I say, Bro, I know your cousins hated you when they was growing up. He say, the only child, so I wouldn't want to see him. I'm one of my grandma house.
Speaker 3: I got to see him. I'm just sitting on the.
Speaker 1: What we got, Jason uh.
Speaker 5: A good season in two thousand with Mississippi State.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and one, No, it would be two thousand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you had five interceptions and you didn't give up a touchdown.
Speaker 3: That dude, man, pretty good that was coming. That's coming off a junior year which I had a bettle joy?
Speaker 1: Was he really there for the husband?
Speaker 3: Was that? Can we like?
Speaker 5: I don't know, I'll search that.
Speaker 3: Can we like? I just showed you.
Speaker 1: All that, all that It was just cursed all that stuff you just showed me. I thought you could have made that yourself. I did.
Speaker 4: I did hold on holding the crazy part about it. This is not script. We didn't. We didn't come in here and saying we were gonna talk about he got it already because his history you gotta give you got to give him a benefit.
Speaker 3: I just thank you, man, because you was the office of But I was closer to that.
Speaker 1: But I wasn't close to anything like I know exactly what I was. I was. I'm just happy to be here, man, Just happy to sit in between two great football players. I'll tell you that. Also, Teddy you you said something crazy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And Fred you this is true right what he said about him being what was it?
Speaker 4: So? I was, I was the biggest offense and player of the.
Speaker 1: Year, and you're the only person, the only person to ever do that.
Speaker 4: First and last weeks no longer.
Speaker 1: Have a and the other person you shared the offensive player with was Michael Mike classmates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I knew you were I knew you guys were both beasts. But like when you hear stuff like that, you're like, and bro.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you the truth and the whole thing about this, even leading up to the whole Heisman thing. This is fact you. You gonna ask me to save case. You know we have to fact cha on this show.
Speaker 3: Nobody just tell the show.
Speaker 4: Bush Davis called me into the office going into my senior years. It's the summer. We got there train and bust out behind. He was like, hey, man, I just want to let you know. You know we're you're gonna take this. You got to take this magazine cover because you're up for the Heisman this year. And I was like no, He's like, what you mean No? I was like, Man, don't want that. I don't want to take the picture. I don't want to be up for the high means.
Speaker 3: Like was it the ESPN magazine.
Speaker 4: I'm not even sure what it was, but I know I remember I remember being on it and doing a move and he was like, Bro, this is good for the school. It's gonna bring us attention. But I'm superstitious, and I'm like, man by, get on these cousin. Something happened and out the gate. I twisted my ankle the first game of the season, so.
Speaker 3: Here I am, and it bothered me.
Speaker 4: Like he told me. We had a little saying. Coach Davis told one of our trainers, if Tanna could walk, he's playing. So I played the next four or five games that season limping, limping, and I remember they was writing me off in the play all Tanner having the worst senior season. I'm like, I'm not getting any passes. I'm out here to be a decoy. So we can't double Reggie, you understand. And I remember I went home and my trainer told me. He said, look, bro, he would give me treatment every day and he said, Tanna, in five weeks, you're gonna feel like yourself. And he put on the he circled the game. He said, look what game we have in five or six weeks. It was Florida State. So I went home and I'm praying. I'm like, bro, I just want to be half of myself. Florida State week, I go out there and I had that hundred yards and if y'all want to know why I was emotional when I said, big time player step up in big games. I was emotional because you heard I said, I say, you know a freak. All the criticism for big time players step up in big games. I was getting criticized for being hurt, like I couldn't get I couldn't get off.
Speaker 3: I wasn't doing nothing. I was just out there. So they were saying, oh, he's not doing anything. It's his senior year.
Speaker 4: And that was the game. I had one hundred yards and I didn't look back.
Speaker 1: Then still the seventh of the Hetman voting, and then Fred was nice.
Speaker 3: Yes, because you don't believe.
Speaker 2: I think you don't believe in the in the allure of a young Fred smooth, like the college free.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry you get a picture of it, but like, I don't know, man, it.
Speaker 4: Ain't so crazy though, because Fred came with a lot of hype and it was almost like the mic, not the Mike Vic but the Lebron James, Like when you see somebody's like, all right, damn, this dude supposed to be all world out out out of there, and then you see him, I doesn't I'm watching him on Sports Center, Fred move on. I'm like this playing he can really play, you know what I mean. So, but then to get in the same building with him, Oh my god. I was just like, if I had to hear this, dude, man, I hope it comes off a different way. And I'm all, I take that kind of stuff that chatter wrong most of the time. But he's a good person, So I never took it that way.
Speaker 3: From him, and and that little challenges.
Speaker 2: So I always went out to like, if you they tell me this to best received, I want to work out with it. Like that was my theme that, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know how good this source is, uh, but you didn't ask me anything. On Reddit eight years ago, Yeah, and someone commented one there that they were a student at Mississippi State when you were there and they had a smooth for heiasman bumper stick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because all the whole campus they wanted you to sign. Yeah, that made the whole campus, made them. I believe that it's out there.
Speaker 5: Some dude said it's out there, so there's at least a campaign for it, all.
Speaker 1: Right, he's out there. Respect defensive players in general, we don't get no love, you know what I'm saying it's just like.
Speaker 2: That's why I yeft, that's that's the main reason that yet, because they say we're good, but they won't give us any for any.
Speaker 3: Other offense stuff.
Speaker 4: As a good salesman, he knew how to get usself, you know, how to put the light on him.
Speaker 1: And then he went, yeah, I think that's one of my favorite stories about you. Was at the Senior Bowl and they said you were killing all the receivers and they brought you over to the other practice.
Speaker 3: Ye right, to go and get you.
Speaker 1: I'll do it. I mean, that's awesome, man. All Right. So that's kind of concluding our story time interlude to Yeah, it's great story time. It's a segment the recommendation anyway. So in Commander's News, we have a new director of Player Personnel, David Blackburn, and he is a former uh Baltimore raven see man. And it's not like I want him to and it's not like he was just a guy. He was the director of college Scouting and Baltimore and talking about a job that is taxing, like I've had a you know, every stop I've had, I kind of will go talk to the director of college gout. He just to get a feel. They not only have to evaluate three hundred plus college athletes, but they are responsible for all of the regional scouts. So, you know, the way that we divide up the country here with Washington they used to with the old staff is like there's a director of everybody you know west of the Mississippi, as a director of everybody east of Mississippi. They all have people that report to them for like regionals. They kind of divided it up almost by state. You know a number of schools and it's your job as the director of college scouting to distill all of that information, make reports for all the athletes. Now again you can you know, what do they call that delegate some of that, some of that some of those tasks to you know, like your people that work under you. But then you have to present it to the offensive end defensive coaching staff.
Speaker 3: So the head coach.
Speaker 1: So now he wasn't just like a guy, he was like he was like doing the dang thing there. Now he's a director of pro Scouting, which is like I think some people would consider a promotion for him, But he did that for seventeen years. Is at an organization that is known for drafting well, drafting extremely well. Yeah, So for me, I'm just like, man, we're just getting you know, we're getting more good people from good organizations that have an opportunity to kind of help kind of slidify this culture.
Speaker 2: They're saying good players ain't enough. They saying good coaches ain't enough. They need good from the top to the bottom. They understand we're not trying to have a good season.
Speaker 3: We try to have a good couple of decades.
Speaker 2: They're trying to do it to the point where you know, when you when you're doing things right, when other people try to try to come pay and steal the people that's working for you, Well, we're going out to the top people and we're getting them like that.
Speaker 3: Don't mean we don't keep them for twenty years, but we're getting them.
Speaker 2: And they I think they understand now that it's way deeper than just coaches in football.
Speaker 3: It's way deep.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've been talking about this for so many years. When it comes to how to run a business, how you're going to run it. If you got one part of it rolling or you know, and the other part of it is basically a camp and so or toxic, it kind of trinkles down and it leads into it doing well. So that's what I see right now. These guys, ain't They came in here and they say, look, man, you already say we got an F grade when it comes to our facility. We're gonna change that. I say, we got things going on at the stadium that people not liking. We're gonna change that. Yeah, you know, you say we need this and that stuff and staff people see PA's you know, all that stuff. We're gonna change that. They're from from top to bottom. They're trying to make this thing something that not just the players can come over here and be happy with, but the fans can appreciate what they're doing because in order for you to have a great team, you got to have people who knows how to get the right the right players. And when you see this guy's track record seventeen years stands out more than anything and put a little human behind it, it almost feels like, you know, how you stayed with your grandma and that one cousin that had to leave his mom house, that was that was pretty good over there, and he came over to stay with y'all, and he was that cousin that could cook, clean and do everything.
Speaker 3: So it just made everything better for you.
Speaker 4: So we keep talking about in the Baltimore Ravens our cousins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he came on.
Speaker 4: Over here to day would with us.
Speaker 3: We ain't had no analytics. Analytic a little easier for you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I think that's a great point ten because all the teams that are like in the show, you know what I'm saying, the forty nine Ers, Philadelphia Eagles, Troylyons, Baltimore Ravens, like those four teams are four excellent rosters. Now, obviously Kansas City is a little bit of outlier because they found a great quarterback in terms of you need people from those organizations to kind of say, hey, this is how we build it, this is how identify talent, this is how we ensure that we're going to be on that track sooner rather than later. So another interesting thing about him, De Paul University graduate with a degree in economics, smart man and a minor in history. So like school, four year starter at cornerback, team captain and only four time All sc AC selection in school history. Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference. For those of you at home, keeping score. So I like that he's got the football background. So smart dude, football player. I mean again, like who was a half of talent? Who's the guy who did last week? So on? So yeah, like that dude's resume was impeccable. Yeah, this guy's resume is to me, exactly what you want, everything you want. So that's always uh mirrors each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, qualified guys doing qualified things, and and this this that bills trust.
Speaker 3: If the coaches stay no one, I ain't got to be looking at that.
Speaker 2: We got the right guys and then they're gonna handle it in scenes and out season, don't matter.
Speaker 4: How many years we was here. And we saw a guy to that we knew should have been on our team that didn't get kept, we say it out of time and pay. Yeah, we understand.
Speaker 3: It's different.
Speaker 4: It's deeper than that because it's money that's dealing with it, and it's players that you know, you know, roster spots. But it just shows you, man that even players who played this game long enough have a eye. So it's great to know this guy has a background and and he's been doing well for for for you know, for a long time.
Speaker 1: And we're not saying this is gonna be the magic bull it, but it just is. It's such. It's nice when the process is correct, you know what I mean, Hire good people, bringing the right type of people. And it's not just one guy trying to make all the decisions. It's a group of them correct.
Speaker 2: And it's the right ingredients to a good dinner, like you got to head the right ingredients. If you don't got the right and gigs by the time you cook it, no matter how good the cookie.
Speaker 3: Is, the food nasty. And then what we've been serving we've been serving his sack lunches for years over here. Now now we got all you can.
Speaker 2: Eat but fake come on in here, and we're slowly putting the cooks in there and letting them cook.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I needed to stay. We're pretty stoked about it. But you know that's this. These are these are the type of decisions that pay dividends down the road, not necessarily not today this season, but in terms of this season, Yes, we got ots are happening. I went out to practice last week. One thing I want to run by you guys real quick. I know we can. You had to go to Florida. You had some stuff going on One of the things is Jaden threw two interceptions in the red zone last week. Part like reason for concern or I don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what this is the time to everything you want to travel to try it now going right, Like, if.
Speaker 3: You're going to make the mistakes, make them now, make them down, make them down, make you like yeah, but this is the reason learning curve.
Speaker 1: The reason I really want to bring it up is because, like I think people hear like, oh, red zone and there's no context. But to me, red zone is tight, especially early in the offseason, favors the defense, yes, because they you can just talk about that.
Speaker 3: I think about it.
Speaker 2: If they hit the five yard line, the end zone is only ten yards deep, all right. We don't backpedal everything. Every decision is made in intents of a second. Every window that that quarterbacks and throws in it can start that.
Speaker 3: Big, it's gonna end that small.
Speaker 2: And when you're in the red zone tips everything if you can get it, if the d line can get a hand on the ball, if the dv can get a hand on the ball, we usually gonna turn that ball over there. So the windows are smaller. Everything's done so quick, and you got to make a decision. That's what I think he's learning right now. Hight the ball. I got probably three four tenths of us tend to make seconds to make my decision, and I got to live with it, even if that decision is throwing the ball out the back of the en zone.
Speaker 4: That's why, you know, as a receiver, I hate it the closer we got to the end zone because.
Speaker 3: Now it takes away you'll beat me a game, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So you know, especially if you're not throwing me no jump ball, not not using my ability to go up for the ball, then I'm not a I'm not a use. So I love when we could cross that fifty and we're still throwing bombs from the twenty five or out of thirty. But when you get in those close areas, those pro semities, man, it's tough. And for a young guy, if he's going to learn it, learn it now. Get that out your system now, because right now we're not even in real pass You're not you don't have bodies flying at you the way you would seeing a regular you know, drill practice against the teams. You know, our first team was you know, going to get a second team or whatever. But I'm happy because we talked about this before we got on the show.
Speaker 3: Who cares about what goes on OTA.
Speaker 4: That's why we have OTAs, because we want you to get in here and learn the system, get in here and get you know, I guess you can say, get your.
Speaker 3: Time in together.
Speaker 4: All that stuff plays a part of your game now because by the time we get here, when things live, bullets are flying around, That's when I'm gonna be concerned. That's what I'm gonna be worried about.
Speaker 3: How you looking alsold this.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest, if they was selling mon selling a team in OTAs, he ain't pull it out the legs because this the one thing he has that when it don't turn out the way he wanted to be in the red zone.
Speaker 3: He gonna run.
Speaker 2: So he wouldn't you, He wouldn't weaponizing it. He was like, I gotta throw this bott I'm gonna throw the ball. So I think people need to take it for what it was. Because we hear a lot of people talking about Kayla william through six weeks.
Speaker 3: Out of practice. I don't care. I just don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was gonna say the other thing about the red zone specifically, is like that's a game plan phase of the game for the offense, right, Like you're gonna scheme up. You're gonna say, oh, this is how they run their quarters. These are the players we're gonna run. We're gonna have kind of designated stuff. You're not running just general offense. There and there looked to me like they were running pretty general offensive stuff, which put which puts them in a hard spot. You can't run the football. You can't run, you can't scram up. So it's all kind of it favors the defense big time.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Again, like you were saying, Fred, like you know, Cale Williams through twelve interceptions, but I can care less. I guess practice, man, he's learned a new offense.
Speaker 4: It's the best too, because you gotta understand, especially in the world when today, when it comes to social media, all this stuff is clickbait. So if you see somebody out there doing well, we're gonna praise and we're gonna we're gonna send him to the Pro Bowl. Already, season ain't start. He's gonna be a Pro Bowl player, he's gonna be a Hall of Famer. I want these guys to you know, I guess progress on the time that they're ready to progress, you know what I mean. I don't want to see all No, I don't want to see his crown anybody so far they you know, and when you're desperate, in which we are up here in this area, Yeah, we're desperate. So we're gonna crown whoever as soon as you bring the guy. Oh, he's ready, he's ready to go out there and do it. Don't give give him his time.
Speaker 2: I come to like the cloud that's around Jaden because it's his hype.
Speaker 3: People is it? Don't got that? I guess. I was here when r G three got drafted, and it was just different.
Speaker 2: It was almost a messiah savior complex that they put on Robert that I don't see them putting on Jaden. It's more of okay, thank you, great draft pick. Now let's see what he got. And with Robert it was like, well, I ain't gonna lie Robert. Robert came out explosive.
Speaker 3: So no, no, he's did.
Speaker 2: But you know, I have to say, before Robertie even played the down, it was like I said this this savior.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. The other thing is, you know, not to say that he had a bad practice. I actually thought he looked like just to kind of hype this Messiah thing up even more. But he had a great practice outside those two, like he just he understands like where to go with the football, He understands progressions. He threw two excellent deep balls, one of Jehan that was awesome. You saw that. Well, so everyone's talking about the throw and I was stoked on Johan. Yeah, well the catch, well, he's always got the ball skills. But I don't know if it was on the clip, but in practice, I'm talking little double stick arm through working the shoulder. Remember how last year he kind of just run into that cod like and I just thought, man, that's a guy who's been on his craft.
Speaker 3: He's been polishing the weak parts of that. You know.
Speaker 4: You know the first thing when we had him in here of the day, the first thing he said, I said, what you was that down to Florida? And you know, I know a guy down there and called himself gold Feet. He's on Instagram. Anybody out there listening, and you got kids and want to be a receiver, see him the gold feet down there for out of there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wish I had a parapet is the real deal.
Speaker 1: He regularly got some pretty good issues on it.
Speaker 4: It's crazy to me how young these guys are. Now it's another guy called it rock God. Uh Rock God is pretty good to He's another Florida guy. And you say where they're going at Florida that what we do down there? We cut grass down there to.
Speaker 3: Give tonight life was killing me.
Speaker 4: But that's the first thing, you know, Dotson talked about just going down there and putting the work in. That's what it's about, man, when you young. Look, I was scared of that we was gonna crown him too soon last year. How we talked so highly on Johan and I think he needed that season.
Speaker 3: He needed to be humble. I didn't want to see him go.
Speaker 1: Out there kind of your leg something to kind of say, hey man, you.
Speaker 4: Got to work with this thing bingo. So you know, I'm glad that you saw that that showed you that he went out Dan got.
Speaker 1: In the left it again. It's it's one rap, but it's something that we didn't see a lot of from last year. And you can tell that he's put some time in on it. And if there was one area that I thought his game was weak, it's dealing with you know, getting off pressed right and then dealing with contested catches.
Speaker 2: So I can say, and I didn't think he challenged it to peak of the ball and continuent like I thought his hands could be a lot stronger than they got because some guys receiver wise, we know if they touched the ball like this, I need to worry about. Now it's tackling, like I can't go through his arm because he ain't gonna he ain't gonna let me get that ball out of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I guess what I'm saying is it was nice to see him a make a tough catch, really tough catch, and then be the release and like working that work in that element of craft. Yeah, but Johan looked awesome, all right, Not Johan, Jane looked awesome. And again it's the footwork, the timing. I mean, I feel like he's signaling concepts to be defenses. But then thing I want to talk about with you, Fred is like holy cow man, the defense and the personnel and their ability to kind of disguise coverages and then get to different stuff talking about how important like just.
Speaker 2: First of all, this did Joe with affect like I tell with corners are playing, Uh, it's just me by myself to survive survival mode. Then it's oh, in this defense, I get to I get to play some match Jedi mind tricks with this dude. And that's what I'm seeing with the defense. I see a move, I see a moving on what we call it moving on the screen. That mean we're moving together, like if my safety walking down.
Speaker 1: Sometimes these dudes are just like you talk about, like that's the old school everyone's on the show. Sometimes I feel like it's just like someone throwing marbles.
Speaker 3: Up the floor. You know what I'm saying. It's like, what are they doing? Organized chaos we call it.
Speaker 2: And when you got was like the Frankie Louvou out there and you gotta wagner that then played similar defenses to this and then you got you in. And the rest of these guys on the back end they understand I one, if I undress my coverage, we already beat two.
Speaker 3: If I don't know.
Speaker 2: How to hide these certain things, I can't play my Jedi mind tricks with you. If I'm on the out side with Taylor and I'm press bailing because I know I really in covered three but I really want to show make him think I'm in true man, I got to hold a prince like.
Speaker 3: But guess what, I also need my safety to hold in the middle.
Speaker 2: So it's these things where it's can I respect you to be where I need you to be in and can I be wasky for.
Speaker 3: That's like you see I'm over here, smile.
Speaker 4: It's music to my ears, bro, because I literally set in that press box we can and week out like you showing me this right now?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like it was nothing to the disguise part of it. It was just like we're here self preservation. Come on, reservation, you know what I'm saying. So being in this league for so long, bro, you know how hard it was for me to beat in the line of scrimmers watching the defense and watching that safety trying to read what the hell he finna show me? And then pre snap read showed me one thing and the snap of the bottom they go fly out of there. I didn't see enough of that here, man, and I hated it. So I'm happy to hear you guys are seeing that. I'm happy that they're doing it because when you watch dan Quinn's defense over the years when he was in Seattle, you know, Atlanta, when you know the Dallas in those last three four years, Like, Bro, that's what you saw, even if they didn't have the best out there on the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the defense as a whole was rotted, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So you don't have to have these studs when you got a de de defense. Yes, everybody, you got a team that's playing on one unitses like when we want accord.
Speaker 1: Well that's a way to put that. Yeah, you just made me think of a couple of players that I thought were awesome. Like there was one where like it looked like I don't know the coverages, but it looked like box to me. You know, they got a bunch Tenna and they got that that.
Speaker 3: Box coverage and low two high corner takes the.
Speaker 1: First guy going out, It takes the first guy going in. And they had like a spot concept on where the guy would sit right in the middle of the box fastball right. But and so that's what I thought. I was like, this should be stealing. But then they rotated the safety down, they pushed out, they got in the cover two Tampa two in the red zone and it was enough where you take away the spot, you gotta double clutch the fence.
Speaker 3: Take the spot.
Speaker 1: And it was going to take away first and it was really subtle and it was pretty good and it was enough for I was like, that got.
Speaker 4: Them and you can tell it's one second to think.
Speaker 1: And then there was another one where Dominice Campton was lying up on the right and held the disguise and basically became the half safety to the left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like talk about dropping marbles. Have to get there.
Speaker 1: And You're just like, I don't know how you knew that, but you said organize chaos. Like there's timeshe you're like, oh, like and when you're watching it, and again, this isn't just from me watching practice. This is like Dallas film. Is this? Yes, right, we look like we're in man over in Tampa touo oh, it looks like Cover three. Oh, we're in we're blitzing. We're in his own pressure.
Speaker 2: We cannot play fast on defense unless we all know what the real plan is. Like when we played for Greg Williams, it ain't no day we hit a field and we ain't know what our plan was. And I plan changes week by week, but I tell you what when we hit them green lines, we are on fire. And you can tell you and I can always tell a boy the energy of a defense.
Speaker 3: I can tell you because it's a group thing. Man.
Speaker 2: Like I know, on offense, y'all can sometimes be independent contractors in really blossom. I don't think we can do that on defense because I can't do no what that might be.
Speaker 1: Lie, definitely not to the extent like you have to know the concept especial running routes where you know, you know the run scheme and you have to fit in there. But you can you can put a little bit, Yeah you can. But I feel like if defense is not we're.
Speaker 3: Not all locked up, it's gonna fail.
Speaker 4: Defense is all it's to me. I think it's predicated on everybody's being on their guy being in there, playing, playing to read or reading reading write right, you know, I see so many guys watching them. I think it was miked up section they had on ESPN or somewhere. I saw it on Instagram where they had a kid talking to another kid, or they had they had a veteran talking to a kid, like, bro, let me know what you got going on because cut, yes, I'm telling you you ain't telling me nothing. I'm thinking, you're gonna play this guy and I'm.
Speaker 1: Information and such a frustrating Like I was so frustrating to watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you knew the young kid was in his feelings and this guy's trying to tell him like, bro, like I'm just trying to communicate.
Speaker 1: Well, here's this old head, like I'm trying to help you. I'm to help you, help me yea yeah, And you're just like I remember having the same conversation with like offensive lineman. You know, like you're in the third or fourth preseason game. You're playing against somebody's not maybe not gonna make the team. You're trying to make the team, and you're like like, listen to what I'm saying. Yeah, I played for eight years. You're a rookie, like trust me or do what I say. And some of those guys and it just makes you because you like I felt I felt for that guy and the Metro guy, I felt for him because I was like, you might not make the team because this guy screwed him over that.
Speaker 2: Simple stuff like if my wide receiver off the ball, the first thing I do is alert my lineback and watch for that crack.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's gonna crack. I just know he ails with a move.
Speaker 2: Now when he starts to move going back into the court, if I ain't laying, if I ain't saying, crack that linebacker never turning it in, never turning, and now guess what, he gets cracked by the wide receiver I got to replace. So now I'm taking on the top sweep by myself. Well, I just stopped from taking on their top sweep by myself by just alerting a simple crack call.
Speaker 3: And they go to things that the communication.
Speaker 4: Communication is key, mate. I think that's just one of the things that stands out when you have a defense that's playing on one accord, when you have that down pack, then were all gonna go out here and be successful and not going to just be on one guy because we all know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So two things. One, this is like super nerdy question and I don't I don't really know what you're gonna answer. Is do you keep track of other people's OTA's like when you're reading media tipmits or does it not matter? Because sometimes I find myself being like, oh, blik Davis had a touchdown in OTA practice.
Speaker 3: I do you want to see it.
Speaker 2: I just want to see It doesn't really matter if it doesn't matter, but if you love football, you just want to see what's going on.
Speaker 4: Often say, with social media, I do more than I did before.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't go online looking social media. You can basically go and type in Carolina, type in whatever team it is, and see they little clip.
Speaker 1: So I do that way and again, like it doesn't really matter, but it's also it kind of just gets you excited.
Speaker 2: You know, this time of year, everybody's bubbling. Everybody got a change out thirty two way the super Bowl, and it's that time where it ain't a lot of news.
Speaker 3: So therefore, if.
Speaker 2: We get any news, Je Daniels just dropped the eighty yard touchdown. Whoa, Like everybody's cheering for that, dude, Like, come on, you don't think people in Minnesota going crazy over JJ mccartty every time he completes the pass, Like it's that time, right, So I expect it to be that way. But also, this is the time championships are won. To me, this is when teams come together together. I can always tell, like I'm hearing out of Cincinnati Jamon Chase, not in the building, Higgins, not in the buildings, contract disputes. They made it to that point, like they paid their quarterback. Now that the roster getting tightened to keep together. So you know, it's good and bad all over the league right now.
Speaker 4: I want to think as much as we want to tell the fans to kind of you know, I guess you could say, pump the brakes on getting too far ahead of yourself. It's also, you know, the fans is just like how we were back in the day. It's a different time. Back in the day football came in July, it was already training camp. You know, we didn't have an ESPN to watch, We didn't have a social media to watch.
Speaker 3: Football season was in.
Speaker 4: We was playing, and it was there was sure a clipping. It's gone for two weeks, you know, until they play that preseason game. Now it's every days something to look about this year round. You can't you can't help but allow them to have that kind of joy that they have for their team.
Speaker 2: And everybody liked the new toys, new shiny toy. They don't want to know about the old children vent. Nobody want to know about Logan. Tell me about Daniel like, we.
Speaker 4: Don't know, they don't know any information about it, not in this uniform.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so again and then this is something I'm curious because I don't know how you guys, because it was a little different era. How did you guys treat O t as like when you were playing? Like was it like was it were you like fit ready to go? Or were you getting shot?
Speaker 2: It depends on which O t A it is. If it's their first eight O t A. Some guys are be in shape, but not the best shape they're gonna be in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was too naive to not know what to do. Get the gate out the gate. I kind of, you know, blame that a little bit my injury, but I kind of came in ready, you know what I mean. And then from there I was like, Okay, it's good to be ready, you know. But when I saw the guys out there falling by the wayside and throwing up and can't make the little runs we had, I said, I don't ever want to feel like that. And then later in my career I took a break because I had them played so much, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Too much football I had.
Speaker 4: I had, I had my I had a couple of runners who had worked for my agent, was like, you you're always in that gym man, just this rest and I rest, and I wasn't myself. I'm like, see, I'm just not you. Bro. I got to keep knowing I do, so I prepared to be going full throttle. Come ot.
Speaker 3: I don't want to have to be getting into the mode.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: And you always had a new quarterback O TA, so you needed to get their relationship.
Speaker 4: Together in the quarterback new offense. I had so much going on, Bro, I saw it all, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think everyone here is like, oh yeah, oh, it's optional team activity. Like I don't remember ever missing one, not coming in and being like one hundred percent rate.
Speaker 3: I'm always there. I'm always gonna be there.
Speaker 1: It starts. It's gonna sound crazy, but it's it starts the coaches evaluation process. And as much as they say, oh, it doesn't matter, Like I remember watching dudes who weren't fit, and they weren't fit for three or four practices, three or four weeks of practice, so probably like ten total practices and they just haven't put good stuff on film, so they reshuffle the depth chart. They're the fourth guy. You're the third guy. All of a sudden, you go to training camp and then you make the team and they it's just it's part of the piece. So just to always be ready.
Speaker 3: I think it's to going away and coming backpoint.
Speaker 2: And I think that's why it never bothered me because unlike a lot of players, I didn't leave in the summer.
Speaker 3: This was home for them.
Speaker 2: So I think it's the traveling too, because you go, you give yourself two weeks to take off. Your wife probably demanded some times. You gave you the most of the year. So I think that then when you pop out of it, then it's right back into this. I think this the thing that mentally kind of chatted his players.
Speaker 4: Most of the guys who have it, who have it, have a good routine. They have a cutoff. And I think I had a great routine. I knew if I went in the playoffs or if I got other playoffs something fast, I'm going home getting all that out my system. Come April seventeenth, whatever they say that that report day my birthday, I'm gonna be ready because February third or second, or whenever the Fluper Bowl is overwhe that's my first day of getting back in shape. So when that's who Bowl's done, I'm back to grinding. And so by the time I hit April seventeen, when they say reporting day, I'm ready. So you know, you got to have a routine because you want to enjoy your off time too. And when I got here, it was better that way because I was comfortable with coming up here when I didn't have to be here. You understaying. When I was in New York, I didn't he hated New York. I didn't want to see New York until I had to be there. And but nah, man, but it's all about being a professional, and you you learned that over the years. You learn it over time. April seventeen one of the best days ever. You know, this day I was birthed, Santanna Mama was birthed.
Speaker 3: It's to day Game of Throne started.
Speaker 1: Good day. It's a good day. I got kind of a mess up story about being in shape. Do you remember in thirteen we had that conditioning test where we had to run a half gasser and then we had to plank. Yes, So I remember Old ray Wright was like, guys, you know, we're getting ready for tomorrow for first practices. The day after this. So if you guys feel like you can't finish, just tap out. We don't want anyone pull any hamshrinks something like that. I was like, that is the trap. That's a trap. Everyone paying attention probably was being serious. But I'll tell you two people that was this is a hard that was a hard condition. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember.
Speaker 4: My back was created up enrichment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it was hot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was.
Speaker 1: It was just it was eight down in backs, right, but in between you had to make it in fifteen fourteen seconds was much light. Yeah, yeah, it was like twelve. I was like fifteen, which is fast for me. And then he had you had forty five second plank and you had to get up and run your next one. So there was no like rest, You're just running the whole time. And so thank god I finished. You know, my hamstrings all time, my back is all time. But I finished. Two people didn't finish. Two people got.
Speaker 3: Cut, that's how. And they're softened to.
Speaker 4: Blow and tell you, you know, don't worry, do not worry just because you can't play here.
Speaker 3: It's thirty one more team.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's funny though, I remember because it's like, well that's year thirteen for me.
Speaker 3: And I remember running mind and I'm being in.
Speaker 4: The front and I don't know what was black or was this Chad, but he was like, Tanner, come on, man, you're embarrassing these people out here.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, bro, I'm just standing in the pack.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to make sure you're trying to Yeah, you a calling me out because I'm in the front, like you want me to be in the back. But it's just funny because like they play those Jedi mind tricks with you just to see where you're at mint, you know what I mean, see and see it's okay, good enough for you bingo And man, look man, I never took that stuff for granted, Like I just told you that was your thirteen for me competing with these all these young bucks. I'm up there leading the pack, but I never wanted to be first. I wanted to be right.
Speaker 3: There to stand.
Speaker 4: I wanted that second and third, you know when when that last one hit, that last one was always.
Speaker 2: They need to understand after the conditioning test, we are just laying scattered on the grass like y'all need to understand. Y'all understand like we only had like thirteen the d d's and wide out. Every time we look at our time, we don't even I tried not to even look like.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do like three gas. I was like, we probably got due hours and what ten cent? Come on this.
Speaker 1: Some of those receiver times were three strides.
Speaker 4: You already say I'm late. Yeah, and you can feel your number.
Speaker 3: You're like, nut this line and come back knocks.
Speaker 1: Want no wild story talking about like Trent Williams. Remember Trent. I remember one day he was like messing around and someone was talking messed him. He's like, I'll run the receiver times and I was like, no, no, And Trent made every receiver time so half gasser twelve and a half seconds. That man weigh three hundred thirty pounds. Yeah, it was like a deer. And I was like looking out of the corner of my eye like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna make it anything now.
Speaker 2: Then I tell people the big dudes in the league are not fat, Like when you see that fat dude in the grocery store and wig, he was like he could have played for No, he couldn't.
Speaker 3: He can't run, he can't move, he can't move.
Speaker 2: So at the end of the day. These are big men, big athletic, they have to like fight to keep with this three hundred pounds on them.
Speaker 3: I think people just see him and be like, yeah, he probably could have played six six three. No, your uncle stinks. Due up to me to tell you that.
Speaker 1: The other one that was crazy so Trent obviously very fast and athletic. I remember he got in a fight with a defensive tackle, big old defensive tackle. I think it was uh. I forget how he was. I remember him being like three hundred and sixty five pounds, and so I got in there trying to break it up, you know what I mean. Yeah, And it felt like I was trying to break up a fight between my dad and somebody else. I just I couldn't get my I was just like, oh god, and I'm a I'm not a small person, you know what I'm saying. But I remember coming out of there, I was like, man, my elbow, herst, my fingers hurt.
Speaker 3: Like we had a big browl. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See this he before ten, the guy he had. I think we was called the Jet Skins. We signed everybody from the Randy Tummys als. He and pretty Boy, Chad Boy and I'll never forget. It was like the second practice and he talked Chad a sweep or something, and don't I think he was trying not to go out of boughs and be kind of like almost cut me low.
Speaker 3: Oh no, you ain't gonna do that. We didn't.
Speaker 2: We didn't got him like like a twenty person's.
Speaker 3: Braw hole out there. And listen, I'm at the bottom of it. I think to stay alive, you understand. You know what's funny and funny about that.
Speaker 4: Everywhere Chad went bro he had these kind of in the jazz bro Listen, I love Chad. He was he was returning slash part returning like me, and but it just was something about him.
Speaker 3: He was. He was booge.
Speaker 4: He was confident, but he was a different type of guy. Like if you had to compare Chad, I would I would say this is probably how the industry looked at Prince. Yes, a pretty guy, yes, but Prince was not pressed about his business pressle put hands on you, not.
Speaker 3: This Chad with But Chad will fight. Chad will fight. I'm just saying, like Tom down through that, I'm just saying, like the Chad I knew.
Speaker 4: From the Jets because he's so strong, always gotta tried, but he was ready, you know what I'm saying. But he was a pretty dude.
Speaker 3: But he would come in the locker room and look at the ugly dude that just.
Speaker 4: Then I'd be like, Chad, did you get your eyebrows?
Speaker 3: Arch? Yes? Like then he walked in.
Speaker 4: With this this essence did you he had about you know what I mean? Like it was just like when he walked in the room, like his presence was felt and it wasn't.
Speaker 3: A good good because you got all the clothes fully dressed in a suit.
Speaker 2: And his brother, Johnny mord ain't nothing like him, only different dude.
Speaker 4: Johnny. Johnny was mm a fight after he's damn all right, Yeah it is probably, but look, don't get me your own I he smooth, but Chad to fight, you.
Speaker 3: Weak out of me.
Speaker 1: So the ones that were always like the coldest, for guys that didn't say anything. It was just like, oh, it's like it's happening.
Speaker 3: It's our own dude.
Speaker 1: I remember like Niles Noiles now was my guy, one of my favorite teammates of all time. I remember like anytime he'd be like, we're gonna fight, you know, and like it was like, oh, come on and now just be like and it's his hands on the face mask, like there was no like oh, like no posture. It was like we're fighting and the guys like, no, we're not. It was like, oh, check me out.
Speaker 2: See some of them fight. That can't be broken up because we had one with LeVar and another of man a lad Back. It's crazy though I couldn't break it up.
Speaker 1: The thing I don't get is like sometimes they get their hands on each other and you're trying to break them up and then someone will grab you and it just turns into this and we just dragging each other. Four texts of dragging people around.
Speaker 3: It's all kind of PREDI like, w W had.
Speaker 4: This, They had this whole this. I don't know this. It was like a folk tale.
Speaker 3: But we got to fight with that.
Speaker 4: This guy, Casey Jones for the University of Miami thing.
Speaker 3: He was a big time lineman.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if I'm saying a name right for the story. His his whotel was got ready to fight somebody and he just grabbed his face mask and gripped it off his damn helmet and they were like the fight was over.
Speaker 3: They say more the coaches than everybody was like stopped everybody. Do you remember Doug.
Speaker 1: Worthington did that you're here, you're here with that. So there was a big fight, like everyone was on each other and there was a backup center Mike, I think Mike McGlinchey, Mike something like that and little kind of squatty you know, like dirty offensive lineman. And Doug was just this adonis. He's six six, he's three thirty. He carries around a suitcase full of vitamins with him at all times, so he looks like a just look like a door. So he grabs Mike's face mask and just I'm talking kind of.
Speaker 3: Just shears, shears the screws.
Speaker 1: Like didn't pull the screws out of the fitting, like the metal screw was sheared. And then in the meeting, our guy Jay was like, hey, Doug, just remember there's a pissed us on Monday.
Speaker 3: So oh, Derek Gordon was like that. But just there's dudes that, just some dudes dudes that.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know what, I'm a lover, not a fight. Sometimes you got to be like you know what, not now, not never, not ever, not with you. You got murdered.
Speaker 3: That's why he moved in my house and I cooked breakfast for him. Everything right.
Speaker 1: And then all these names got me thinking. We were talking about last week, we were talking about NB NBA, NFL. Who could do both. I'm still staunchly in the camp that I don't think any NFL players could play.
Speaker 3: In the end. And I think you, I know you, I know you.
Speaker 1: You're also very confident. But what I thought would be a good idea, Jason thought would be a good idea. Let's make a team of guys that we think could play that played in the NFL. Yeah, they could play in the NBA. We're gonna make our starting five plus a bonus man with six so point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, center. And I think it'd be good if we did a commander's team and then maybe an NFL team. You know what I'm saying. So I know what, friends, I don't even have to see Fred's paper. I was gonna say, who's gonna be your point guard? That's a stupid question. I was gonna say me, all right, Russell.
Speaker 2: Russell Curry is what they call because I'm an athlete like Russell, but I shoot like stiff Russell Curry at the point guard, and I'm.
Speaker 3: A well in a half, this was not gonna well one slash too.
Speaker 4: I got Randy Well that's my point going. Oh I like that played he played in college and guess it was Yeah, No, he played in Indiana. You remember I told you I was going to Indiana When I went for my trip. It was a dual trip football basketball, and guess who was playing on both teams?
Speaker 2: Then Rady Leo was the point guard and the quarterback. And I was gonna be able to play Why receive Wacona and basketball?
Speaker 3: X randle You know he a man?
Speaker 1: Why is everything he says sounds like he's making it up.
Speaker 3: I'm not. I'm not. I went to Bloomington on a trip.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right?
Speaker 4: So who is who? You?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I got? I got a question for it. If there's someone who could play point guard in the NFL right now, like you're like this dude could play like right now, Yeah, if there's a guy that like circle him, you could do it.
Speaker 4: All right? See I ain't he's saying point god, point god, like.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking like, well, like Sauce Gardner, like somebody like that, like kind of that build.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, I think would be a two.
Speaker 1: Okay, but he's sixty three, I know it.
Speaker 2: But he got that lymp that like he'll be a jump shooter point guard. It's gonna have to be a quarterback. Like most time it's a shroud. Have you ever seen Pat Mahons play basketball?
Speaker 3: Plaid out hoop? Really plaid out hoop.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying, and it looks just like his football.
Speaker 3: He's out there. Why couldn't listen.
Speaker 4: The way the way he's making shots, Like it's like you mean, like crossing people.
Speaker 3: Hey, I think Geno Schmiel probably can hoop. Yeah, he looks like a thing hoop dude.
Speaker 1: The Mahomes thingers wild to me, though.
Speaker 3: Mahomes can hoop. Crowd like he can hoop.
Speaker 4: Now, Mahomes a great point guard. I saw Mahomes play pickup game in the off season.
Speaker 2: I saw him playing high school and I felt like, yeah, he could did.
Speaker 1: It all right. So now we're on the shooting guards for the Commanders.
Speaker 4: Can I'm gonna go I'm gonna go with d Hall.
Speaker 2: I can say he was on my paper the hawk and hoop, Yeah, I mean the holle hoop all the time in lifetime.
Speaker 1: He's a great athlete.
Speaker 3: No, he can hoop. But I'm taking Jason Campbell.
Speaker 4: Go d holl it's a two.
Speaker 3: Jason. Jason is sixty five always.
Speaker 2: Jason had a basketball Scotch Ship coming out of Mississippi.
Speaker 3: When we were younger. He was a three three.
Speaker 4: Star and d hall of Malcolm Kelly. Malcolm Kelly was Malcolm Kelly. Yes, macom Kelly hoop.
Speaker 1: See that's the thing with me. I would say Jordan Reid for my two.
Speaker 3: Jordan he had my three.
Speaker 1: That's my small dude. I just think I want him touching the ball more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, he definitely in basketball term, he had to be a two because he's not as tall as he would be in the but but he's strong.
Speaker 3: He he's strong.
Speaker 1: But the other thing is everybody that I played with said they could play basketball, and he's the only one that could actually Like, Yeah, he played hoop. So he's gonna be on my He's on my list, my small four on my list for sure.
Speaker 3: But I'm small around the league. Who got basketball.
Speaker 1: Around the league? Who we got for a two guards.
Speaker 3: Around the league?
Speaker 4: Now, I got your boy, DK metcow.
Speaker 3: Hoop y'all play him five, Garrett, he just so he is.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 4: Show my.
Speaker 3: DK of t O t used to play basketball.
Speaker 2: Now t could flat out hoop and DK and most doing a J Brown, a JJ Brown.
Speaker 1: I was just say Julio Jones, like when I was with him in Atlanta, Dude, that guy is just you can jump, you can run.
Speaker 4: You know who could do all that too, Odell Beckham, Yeah he can.
Speaker 3: Randy Mouse to Randy get fled out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I like that Randy Moss. Yeah that'd be sick. Yeah, all right, small forward who we got?
Speaker 4: I got Trent Trent. So I thought Trent maybe be power forward. See I thought so too for us. He's a power forward. But if you put him against a basketball guy six four, they'll be so much bigger than him.
Speaker 1: And get him down there in the paint.
Speaker 3: He gonna be big. Baby.
Speaker 4: Dave is in the paint now, he can move stand, but he'll be shorter than the average like John Barker.
Speaker 1: But let's get him. Let's we're gonna play positionless football here. We got to right were positions of basketball. We're gonna spread them out, but we need somebody in there to bang around a lot did you imagine him and like Victor webbin Yama, like he'll be pushing Victor after what I'm saying. Victor webban Yama's arms are like as long as this room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, understand.
Speaker 2: It's like I understanding, Rob Gartner, My whole boy got dreaded with up.
Speaker 3: Oh he can hoop. He might couldn't catch a football.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, no, he just won the amazing race.
Speaker 3: He's built like a picture of him.
Speaker 1: And I was like, this.
Speaker 4: Actually had a thousand yard season, our second in the league. So he he he had a system where they started feeding other people and he and it's kind of his history direct every thing that he mo joan.
Speaker 3: But Rob Gardner can flat out who what.
Speaker 1: About around the league? I was thinking, like Calvin Johnson or something like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, Calvin gent make like this. Every receiver it was played for Detroit, Roy we call him all.
Speaker 2: I remember one time I played against Detroit and Charles Rogers was the slot receive at six y four, really.
Speaker 4: Getting Roy William were six wives, give me your boy, go ahead, finish Roy six fives.
Speaker 2: So they had like all these talk first round picks now huge wide receivers.
Speaker 3: I think Dez Bryant could be a give me good basketball, give me Gates.
Speaker 1: That's easy, Tony, cause say, let me just go getting Zola's dead, Jim, don't.
Speaker 4: Forget about the d N North Carolina Pepper.
Speaker 3: What are we doing? He's gonna be yes, people's in there.
Speaker 4: I also say, you know, I would have said Andre Johnson, but small four, I probably put him more of a shooting guard. Andre Johnson, Yeah, he went to high school to play basketball. His high school was His high school was a team that won national championship in Miami, like almost every year they had U d there. They had a lot of guys that went pro and and Dre was there as a basketball player. At the football coach they come out for the football team, so he never practiced with the football team.
Speaker 3: Ward, Oh yeah, sure, Ward.
Speaker 2: I take Runner Curry about like Runner Currell was a bigger recruit than Michael Vick.
Speaker 4: When they came out of Virginia. Yes, run a Curry. See whist thing about Michael Vick. He was not highly sought out coming out of high school. But by the time he got and played in college. Who is this? Who is this kid?
Speaker 1: All right? So small forward, we're gonna run out of people here, No, not really, but turn to fill a roster power Ford. Who we got?
Speaker 3: I got LeVar Arrington?
Speaker 1: Really tell me why who? First of all, if I got a.
Speaker 4: Forty Plusch's vertical and you know he's six thrill, you got LeVar Arrington. I got my man Abraham from John Johnny Abraham. Yeah, the Jets, from the Jets, Old Joe playing in Atlanta with you too. I think he was done by that time.
Speaker 3: What about Drake Hall Just what about Drake Cotty? I think Hoop just ain't got it? Got it boy? You know he's tall enough, but he ain't.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, Like, it's just so hard because this position in the NBA is such a unique body type. You know what I'm saying. It's like you need a guy who's like six seven, but.
Speaker 3: Get what go against the norm Charles Barkleys against the noise. But Baby Davids, we're.
Speaker 4: Not saying we're not in this whole debate that these guys can go and play. We're just saying this is the team we would make. So I just want to get that clip before you, Oh you think those guys because you know, get a little that.
Speaker 2: But but I remember when I first got in the league. We used to the NFC East used to meet and hoop in the summer time, and we used to do it all the time in Dallas. So we used to literally go edit man like all the time, and guys could way better than you thought they could.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I played with anybody who would be like a good power forward uh Fred Johnson, b J Brad Johnson. I want to say, like Miles Garrett for this, or like Pepper s would be the other one. I'd say here I played with. I feel like, is there an offensive lineman that is like just crazy, like like would he be a good one?
Speaker 4: Chris Sammuews Chris got them sugar them sugar ankles, you know, like them sugar antle like that in church.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Chris ain't no hoop hoop like saying be man McKenna. Some of them they can play tack. They cannot play basketball. No big Mac just human is huge. I think people don't understand.
Speaker 3: How big the dude is.
Speaker 4: Man ain't playing, ain't gonna play no ball now. I think you can find some tight ends period that'll be good power forward. Tight end definitely.
Speaker 3: Put that, But.
Speaker 2: Listen, tight ends can get the job done. We already brought up Jimmy Graham. We're like tight ends can get the job done. They rougher than basketball player. They gonn they're gonna be stronging in basketball players.
Speaker 1: Who would you pick? Like from uh from Washington?
Speaker 2: Like who we already said Jordan Reid is probably the best. I mean all right, uh, what's the name right now? Let's go on the roster right now?
Speaker 3: Cole Turner probably.
Speaker 4: Like easier you could have got your boy who just was here last year?
Speaker 3: Eighty two, uh, eighty two Logan, Thomas Loga.
Speaker 2: Thomas Logan, Thomas most definitely what about the other kid we got.
Speaker 1: Curtis Hurtis hot out with the money.
Speaker 3: Ron Rogers like.
Speaker 4: You can fly out a hoop, Yeah, like a the wide receiver eighty nine, Oh, Tremade Tremaine.
Speaker 1: He's six five though. That's the thing. Basketball players are so big, bro so big. So yeah, not really good answer for for hot center. We hadn't mean for center.
Speaker 4: Because now it's all about it's all about strength at the center.
Speaker 3: It ain't around.
Speaker 4: They got more center shooting freeball, and that's and that's the reason why my Timperwolf losing because we can't get Big Cat to get in the post.
Speaker 3: He want to shoot through threes all day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sugar cat.
Speaker 3: Can we need him in the post where Rudy go bath sugar Cane. Yeah, we can't do nothing with him.
Speaker 1: We know, like Trent Brown, the tackle for Cincinnaty's six eight, he's like four hundred pounds.
Speaker 3: What about thanos to get him out there.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, like, come on now, and we see the dude right But for North Carolina State the basketball player the three hundred.
Speaker 1: Pounds, oh yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: You know they say a couple of inn NFL teams called him. Yeah, and he didn't sitting the five pounds for the NBA DREP. So he looks his body looks totally right now, so they go, they go, a football player playing basketball right there.
Speaker 3: If you really want to know, like ether like big z, what the dude name was?
Speaker 4: Who played in Rudolf Zack Randolpha, Yep, you're a mommy man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Uh, Center London Fletcher, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I have no no London. We're gonna bring London sixps on.
Speaker 1: Your paper for the further commanders for the center.
Speaker 3: Y'all blew Mine often said Drake Conter can't play no.
Speaker 2: Basketball, y'all saying Drake, I gotta get I gotta get somebody.
Speaker 3: This ro like that. Drake comes off as Dennis Rodman. I'm only here to rebound.
Speaker 1: What he'd be doing like Morgan Moses. Is he nimble enoughing I hoop with him sometimes?
Speaker 3: Is he nimble enough?
Speaker 1: He's pretty?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well you know something that I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So guys like that maybe, and I'm telling you LeVar hell of an athlete. Man, Okay, I got the perfect guy. Plexico Burds for the center as a senator, plex six six man.
Speaker 3: He put him into the plex Plexic for next here receiver.
Speaker 4: He ain't trying to get down that bang and ain't small, no, but he ain't banging like plex was like this, not play basketball.
Speaker 1: I'm just talking body type. And Johnny Wilson that came from Philadelphia, easy dude. He looks like a ball player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hope he ain't. Hope hehi't ball that I want. I want to get him. I hope he balled out, but no, don't.
Speaker 1: All right, So six man who we got London flood to Fletcher my six man, Leonon Fletcher low.
Speaker 3: Green coming off the bench.
Speaker 4: Did he play and commplate in college?
Speaker 3: London can flat out now.
Speaker 2: I know he used to get hoop before he got that dad by went to school to play back.
Speaker 3: But right he could hoop.
Speaker 1: Now he probably my point guard man, No would be gritty, just gritty tough.
Speaker 3: That was Russell Curry out.
Speaker 4: I feel, I feel I like London period. I told him he was trying lending to my six man. I just put him in six member because I used to trying.
Speaker 1: He was always trying.
Speaker 4: He always got agenda when to come to London.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know if he came up with a good team. So we got Fred Smooth, Jason Campbell, h we got the house, Jordan Reid, Powerford. I heard who we said for power forward, LeVar LeVar, and then the center. We didn't really have a good Oh Trent Trent Williams. That's not bad. That's not a bad starting five. And then London that's all right.
Speaker 4: The boys ain't gona win no games.
Speaker 3: Playing the camp Boys.
Speaker 4: Who they got the Giants game that everybody size, everybody has a side deficiency.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, if is there any I can't even think of one person of this list that that is even close to making every roster, even even even like Miles Garrett.
Speaker 3: Miles Garrett would make it.
Speaker 4: No, he ain't.
Speaker 1: Man. That man is like two league.
Speaker 3: But think about it.
Speaker 2: If he was in basketball, he wouldn't be trying to be the biggest he would he He just.
Speaker 4: He just big like.
Speaker 3: You. I understand. Some kids just come out beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a big old horse.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That what I'm saying. Can you name me?
Speaker 1: Name me one person, one player in the NFL that can play in the NBA right now? One?
Speaker 3: First of all, I promise you was one hundreds of them.
Speaker 4: Hundreds hundreds ain't to be in an argument stopping you know me would be.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you how this guy, this guy probably can't play no football, but.
Speaker 4: He can hoo.
Speaker 3: Daniel Jones, Okay, quarterback for the Giant. Listen to me. Have you watch this dude shoot basketball all? Watch his hoigh draft?
Speaker 1: How have you watched some shoot.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I can't pack just clipping here doing three sixty. Dog? You say he can't, he can't, he can't play No quarterback.
Speaker 4: He can't.
Speaker 3: He can't play every time. Yeah, I know he can play two two weeks.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying he damn Youel Jones can flat out?
Speaker 1: But is it?
Speaker 2: Is it NBA? Let me tell you something. T O could have played in the in in NBA. I'm telling you now, Terrell on Terrell play in college too.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of dudes that play in college.
Speaker 1: You can't play in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Well, get what Charlie Wood said, you know what, forget football, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 3: Hoop for the Knicks And he did.
Speaker 1: That's one guy.
Speaker 4: Come on, come on't I know?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I keep looking at you like I'm gonna get support from you. But all right, So okay, a couple of things leave in the comments. First off, what's your starting five from commanders in from around the NFL. Two? Is there one player you can think of from Monte Adams from a high weight speed standpoint, they could play in the NBA. Please leave a comment, can't wait to hear and we'll read the best answer on the next show. That's gonna do it for. That's gonna do it for today's show. Thanks so much for joining joining us, and please make sure to like and subscribe wherever you get your podcast. If you want to see ugly faces, check check us out on YouTube. Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: That's it, hey.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the view or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.