Speaker 1: Warning, there is no stopping the spoilers. There is only the war.
Speaker 2: This episode of x ray Vision is filled with spoilers about the first episode of.
Speaker 1: Hawkeye and sprinkling.
Speaker 2: Of stuff from episode two of Hawkeye, but mostly we cover episode one, so be warned. If you have not watched episode one of the show Hawkeye on Disney Plus, do that now, come back listen to us later. Hello. My name is Jason Concepcia, and welcome to x ray Vision, the cricket podcast where we dive.
Speaker 1: D but to your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture and more.
Speaker 2: Today's episode, we're gonna be talking about the first episode of Disney Plus is Hawkeye. The first two episodes have come out, but we're only going to be covering episode one on this episode. Next episode we'll be doing episodes two and three. Also on this episode is a new segment called nerd Out, where we have guests.
Speaker 1: Come on and just pitch us on a thing.
Speaker 2: That they are a nerd about and let us know what is great about that thing, what do they love about it. This opening segment, we are having Star Trek super fan Kendred James, one of our Crooked Media colleagues, pitch us on the world of Star Trek and then to talk about Hawkeye. We are joined by the great Cody Ziggler. First up, nerd Out. Welcome to a new segment called nerd Out, in which we invite our fellow nerds to pitch us their favorite fandoms, how they fell in love with it, why we should be checking out now, and what we could look forward to in the future. This week, Kendrew James, producer on Crooked's own Love It or Leave It, shares her love of Star Trek forward to hearing from some of you in this segment in the future.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jason, thanks for having me on. This is an extremely familiar setup for me. I spent a lot of time as a kid alone in my room just like talking to myself about Star Trek, kind of just unsure if anyone was really listening. So thank you for allowing me to regress a bit today. I guess that was always my setup because Star Trek was not particularly cool when I fell in love with it at age like four or five. I feel like I tell this story once a year, sort of each time in like a different medium. I've written about it, I've done videos about it, and now I'm talking to you, I'm on X ray Vision about it. Then. Kind of the point is like I've known Star Trek since birth. It's always been in my life. It feels ever present. Next Generation premiered a few months before I was born, and it was always playing at our dinner table. Like, my parents were definitely fans, if not Trukies. They weren't going to you know, conventions or like dressing up in costumes or writing fan fiction or anything, but they definitely enjoyed the show. And I've heard it tossed around before that, especially for parents of color. One of the reasons that that might be is that it felt safe and representative. When you saw black people on television. In Star Trek, you knew you weren't going to have to sort of watch historical.
Speaker 1: Torture porn or like struggle porn.
Speaker 3: It was just going to be people going about their daily business and there was no risk of you know, traumatizing your four year old while also wanting them to see people who looked like them on television. There were two events that really made me aware of what Star Trek was. I think first was realizing or being taught again somewhere around four or five that LeVar Burton on Reading Rainbow and Lieutenant Toorni LaForge were the same person. I didn't understand that, and it blew my mind. When LeVar did the tour of the Enterprise on Reading Rainbow, I just didn't get it, and so I started paying closer attention after that because I didn't understand the concept of an actor being multiple people, and I was constantly sort of trying to spot similarities and differences, like it was a Highlights and magazine puzzle. And then the next point where I really was aware of Star Trek and what it was was that I was five when Deepshase nine started in ninety three, and I was hooked from the premiere. The idea of seeing Commander Cisco yell at someone like Captain Picard was like again, it was very shocking. I'd missed the episodes Best of Both Worlds Part one and two on Next Generation, which are the episodes where Picard is assimilated by the Boorg and becomes the cutest and I think I maybe miss on purpose because my parents knew it was a little bit much for a six or seven year old, and First Contact hadn't come out yet. So for me, like this Humbling of Jean Luke Picard was like very new and very novel, and so it really hooked me in. And then of course with You Today nine, there was just the blackness of it all. It was one of the few genre shows that I could go to where characters who were being focused on looked like me. And the only other one I really had during that era was a show called Mantis that ran for one season on Fox, so there just really wasn't a lot, and I hooked on to what I could get, especially since I wasn't allowed to watch that much altogether. So Deep Stay nine really became my tether for the franchise, and I just kind of never stopped watching the series as a whole, except for the Enterprise years. I'm not ashamed to admit that, and DS nine is still my go to comfort show, and it's a little darker than The Next Generation, which I think I liked as a kid because it made me feel like adult to be watching something that seemed so subversive at the time. But that's Legacy Trek or Classic Star Trek, and I know it can be daunting to try to get into a ninety series where each season usually had like twenty to twenty six episodes, just because we made television differently back then. But luckily we're in this weird period where Trek is kind of suddenly cool and there's more series on the air right now than have ever been before. And I think that this making mainstream nerd culture that mostly Marvel really started and helped with is to thank for that. But yeah, so if you want to get into Star Trek, now is the time You've got your sci fi action adventure drama. With Discovery, you have a more grounded meditation on aging and grief and addiction with Star Trek Recard. There's Prodigy on Nickelodeon, which they say is for kids, but is definitely just for millennials who miss Star Trek Voyager and Captain Janeway. And then there's Star Trek Lower Ducks, which I think is not only the best one on right now but has the easiest point of entry. There's only two seasons, and it was created by one of the Rick and Morty writers, Mike McMahon, and it's just this hilarious yet never too a reverend animated sendup of not only Star Trek but also Star Trek's fans, because the four main characters that you're focusing on are just so clearly fans of Star Trek despite being in it, and it makes it so fun to watch. So looking to get into Star Trek and you want to get into it without too much commitment, you should find and watch at least season one of lower decks. That said, if commitment doesn't scare you and you love a show that's serialized over seven seasons of television, Deep Sase nine is still, for my money, the most modern Star Trek series ever created, despite being created in nineteen ninety three. It's miraculous and depressing how prescient that series is. And like, seriously, if you google the Bell Riots and San Francisco, you're gonna find some really upsetting parallels to everything that we have been dealing with pretty much for this entire millennium so far. But yeah, I've also just been going to check a lot during the pandemic because of the hope that the series embodies. It gives you hope that humanity can sort of figure our shit out because the earth of Star Trek is a place that exists post capitalism, post housing crises, post food scarcity. It's basically like humanities managed to eliminate most of the problems that make us suck now, and the reminder of that possibility while we've been living indoors and shut off for the past eighteen months has been really nice. Yeah. So Season four of Star Trek Discovery started last week and it's dropping probably every Thursday, like for the next ten to thirteen weeks, because that's how many episodes they normally do. So yeah, every Thursday, next ten to thirteen weeks on Paramount Plus. You can watch it there, and then there's just like a lot of stuff to be looking forward to as well. Strange New World is coming out, which is a toos eras series starring antson mount As Captain Pike and his version of Captain Pike was introduced in season two of Star Trek Discovery, which is, for my money, the best season of Star Trek Discovery.
Speaker 1: He's great.
Speaker 3: I'm really looking forward to that show, both for him and for the fact that it's not serialized. It's basically every episode is a bottle episode, and I think that's going to be really fun and takes check back to its suits a little bit because some of the best episodes, some of My favorite episodes are those standalone episodes where you just sort of it's a little plot, might be silly, like they might be playing baseball for an entire episode, but you're there's character development happening while that baseball game is happening in the Holidack. So I'm extremely excited about that. And then in twenty twenty two, we're getting season two of Picard, along with Strange New Worlds and probably at some point that rumored Noah Hawley.
Speaker 1: Star Trek movie.
Speaker 3: I know nothing about that, but you know it sounds interesting, So yeah, I don't know. That's my little star Trek check in, Jason. I hope I've piqued your interest a little bit. I'll send you some episode guides. There are some episode suggestions at some point. Thanks so much for having me and Live long and Prosper.
Speaker 1: Up next the airlock.
Speaker 2: Joining us now to talk about Hawkeye Episode one is our good friend, the great and talented super writer, super funny man Cody zig Ziggler Zig How are you. I was your Thanksgiving week.
Speaker 4: It's been great so far.
Speaker 5: I'm literally catching a red eye tonight, so by the time this drops I will be landing in North Carolina, very very sleepy. So it'll it'll, it'll be, it'll be a good week. I'm assuming it's gonna be a good week. I'm crossing my fingers. It's going to be a great Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: Do you have what is your Do you have like a strategy for air travel? Do you have like a what is your system?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 5: I got a science yo, I show up so you know, you know, I got attle bit of money. So I got that TSA pre check, no lines for your pa.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 1: I got that too.
Speaker 5: I showed forty five minutes before my flight. Pop my drama mean going off that, Jemmy means so because your boy gets at that airsickness and then I'm out like a light. As soon as the lights as soon as I get buckled in, I'm out, and i wake up and I'm in my home state. It feels great.
Speaker 1: I love it. For you, I am not going home. I picked one.
Speaker 2: It was either this or Christmas, and so I figured let's go. Let's go for Christmas. But I wish you the best, best to you and yours. That's gonna be, It's gonna be fantastic. I'm excited to talk about episode one of Hawkeye Today. We're gonna cover episodes two and three next week because I just had fun.
Speaker 1: This was a fun It's a fun show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's jump into it via a sort of recap. So Episode one, directed by Rhys Thomas, written by Jonathan Iglo, of course, starring our good friend Jeby Renner as Clint Barton, one of the great examples of Filipino representation in media. Hailey Steinfeld is Kate Bishop the Great, Via Farmiga as elean Or Bishop, Tony Dalton as Jack Ducaine.
Speaker 1: Uh with more on him later, and then who else appears in this?
Speaker 2: Linda Cardellini as Laura bart and Avera Russo is Lila Barton. We open in a flashback May fourth, twenty twelve, the day of the Chittari invasion of New York City, the devastating event for which we have now forgiven low Ki Remember that remember when.
Speaker 1: He did this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, every when he blew up half half of Manhattan.
Speaker 1: Yea, remember that there is only the wall.
Speaker 5: You know, He's gone through some things. You know, he's been recouped, you know, he he's learned his lesson, you know.
Speaker 1: So we meet a.
Speaker 2: Young Cape Bishop and her family's let's be honest about it, jaw dropping midtown penthouse.
Speaker 1: The Bishops are.
Speaker 4: Doing great, big succession vibes.
Speaker 5: I think they're right next door to the to the to the Roys, you know, like they got to see I want to see Kindle on that elevator that they share.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: So part of the reason why there's no omnibus for this week is that Kate Bishop is kind of a newer character, at least in mcu canon, and so like a lot of diving into her background, her family and stuff. It felt like it was gonna spoil the show. So wait for next week and succeeding weeks for that. But all of which is to say the Bishops are doing great. That's Eleanor and Derek, Kate's mom and dad respectively. They are in the midst of a pretty brutal argument about money. Zig they might have to move out of the penthouse.
Speaker 5: I know they have to second down and move to like the Brownstone. What are they gonna do.
Speaker 1: Or like or like upstate or something.
Speaker 4: Really terrible, like I hope the security company pulls through.
Speaker 2: Derek get out little realize that Kate is listening at the Irvin so Derek goes to talk to her and he's he's like, listen, YadA, YadA, YadA, I'm gonna move some stocks around.
Speaker 4: It's like it really.
Speaker 5: Is of like we're doing business stuff stocks her up. It's it's just like they have to get that scene along.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kate, don't worry about it. I got some stuff. You're going to college, full ride that's paid for. Don't worry about the student loans. You're out here, deal with that, and we're not leaving the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Don't worry.
Speaker 2: And in fact, also I feel it is my job to protect the family, Derek says, and I will protect you and your mom. Now, bad timing on that statement, because, of course, again this is the day of the Chatari invasion.
Speaker 1: The wall and very soon the.
Speaker 2: Bishop apartment and all of New York City are shaking under the Chatari assa.
Speaker 1: What we see later on that they're like two blocks.
Speaker 2: From Grand Central, which was like, yeah, it was just like right under the portal. The Chatari blast a hole in the wall of the beautiful penthouse apartment of the Bishops, and through that whole Kate watches as Hawkeye makes that iconic dive from twenty twelve's marvels the Avengers off of the top of a roof, shoots his grappling arrow, swings in to the window, and Kate is entranced by this, and we know that in that moment her life has changed, a really fun kind of mirroring of events from her comics canon, where she also was like Hawkeye always her favorite.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Eleanor collects Kate and the two are like, let's get out of here, and unfortunately, very sadly, Derek does not make it. He's one of the only seventy six New Yorkers.
Speaker 4: Killed in the attack, an alien to hear.
Speaker 2: One of the I hate to see it, one of the only seventy four again, seventy four.
Speaker 1: Great job by the Avengers, they.
Speaker 2: Clearly they outperformed all the projections. Only seventy four people, and one of them is Derek. At the funeral, Kate tells Eleanor that and this is a lot to put on a kid. I'm sorry, Eleanor, I think this is do we all had a grief in different ways. I think this is a lot to put on Kate. Eleanor is like, it's your job now to protect the family, which is again, Kate is like nine, you know, yeah, like I need you to figure out what what your dad was going to do with those stocks and the portfolio anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Kate says, I need a bow and arrow bomb.
Speaker 4: Bom bom bo. We're all perfect cold open.
Speaker 5: Like if this is like if they were, it's such an easy one to want to like this is like the Kate Bishop comic, Like this is the first five pages you see splash title, like then you're into it.
Speaker 4: Flash forward ten years later, it's perfect.
Speaker 1: What's your what is your method for the perfect cold open?
Speaker 4: Ah Man?
Speaker 2: You Cody zig Ziggler, professional writer for TV and page tell us, let us know.
Speaker 1: How do we do it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: You know, you got to give them a hint of like what's to come, Like you want to be like, this is the world that we're happening, and that's what's going on, and you're like you want to plant the seat early on, like this is going to be what their adventure is. Like this is a perfect example that if it's like Morty being like, oh, I want to go to like ice cream Planet, you want to see him like to see why he wants to go to ice Cream Planet and like you want to see why Kate wants to become Hawkeye, and like this is the perfect perfect setup for it.
Speaker 4: No notees ten ten love it.
Speaker 2: We're back in the present day, which is probably sometime around twenty twenty four or thereabouts.
Speaker 1: In the MCU.
Speaker 2: Canon, college student Kate Bishop, a black belt at fifteen, we find out and a crack shot with a bow and arrow. Member of the university archery team breaks into a campus building, scales to the roof, takes aim with her bow and an arrow with like a tennis ball on the end at the university bell tower. Her friends in contact with her over the phone. They watch from across the quad. Kate lets loose. She hits the bell. There's like a light pong nothing okay. She's like, let's try it again. I'm gonna ring this bell. She fires another arrow, this one beautiful, hits the rope, shakes, the clapper, rings the bell. But unfortunately this bell tower is like so fucking decrepit that it immediately collapses. All I know is if I'm Kate, I'm spinning this like I did you a favor, because this collapsed in a strong wind and killed kids.
Speaker 1: Like for any time.
Speaker 5: The Stark the Stark Fund to like rebuild that Dell tire just hadn't hit.
Speaker 1: Yet, so no one is killed.
Speaker 2: In New York City, Clint Barton and his kids are taking in a showing of Rogers the Musical and Folks. It's a blast, It absolutely crushes its fantastic. Clint can't help but point out that Scott lang ant Man was not president at the Battle of New York as he is in the particular to see that they're watching the show is a celebration of the heroism of the Avengers, and naturally it bumps Clint out because he cannot help but be reminded of his friend Natasha, who perished on Vormeir. As Clint looked on helplessly. Essentially, his daughter Lyla is like, Dad, you turn off your hearing aid. Now Here we get the first MCU canonical men of Clint Barton being hearing impaired, which is an important part of his character since the eighties.
Speaker 1: Ye basically Hawkeye.
Speaker 2: And the family they leave in the middle of the show, which if rude, rude, but honestly, like really it was. You know, they're a close family. Because the kids aren't giving him shit about it. Yeah, they get it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, we we honestly didn't want to be here, but we Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the bathroom, Clint sees graffiti reading Thanos's right, which is a wild take.
Speaker 4: It's a wild take.
Speaker 5: Also, it's wild that someone would do that at a Broadway bathroom, like they would take the tiner rite.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what. When he clapped at the universe, he.
Speaker 1: Was on, like, you know what, that was pretty good.
Speaker 2: And some guy asked for a selfie as Clint is unloading his pink arrow into the eurinal.
Speaker 1: This is always a no go. Don't do this.
Speaker 4: Fun yeah, yeah, on not in the bathroom?
Speaker 1: Have you ever been approached in the restroom?
Speaker 5: Gotta wait, have I ever know? Luckily, no one knows who I am, so like that's the main benefit. So like I'm trying to keep that going, Like, but I have you know, everyone's been in a situation where like the dude comes up like the stall right next to You're like, hey man, we got plenty of his face, Like I got a long week and let's enjoy this, you know.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Kate arrives back in the City of tail between her legs after destroying a large feature of the campus, Eleanor is getting ready to head to a charity auction. She irons Kate out over the destruction of the clock tower, and to show that she is fucking big mad, she mentions that she cancels all of Kate's cards.
Speaker 4: Got that, yeah, right, put you in your place.
Speaker 5: That's when, like, you know, everyone's like, how do you write the superheroes? How do you write to someone that's from another planet. It's like, this is the thing that could relate to is like the ultra wealthy. I was like, yeah, like if I destroyed like a building at a college campus. And my big point of it was like I can't have my credit card anymore, Like.
Speaker 4: I wish, I wish I could take that.
Speaker 2: And that's like, so she still has a bank card and stuff, like she's still out here.
Speaker 1: Did you ever in college?
Speaker 2: I knew a couple of kids who had trust funds.
Speaker 4: Oh did you ever.
Speaker 1: Know anybody who had to trust?
Speaker 2: And so the way it was set up for them was like it was my friend Chris, and he was like his dad was like a vice president of PEPSI or some shit. Like his hobby was like he would race yachts, like down to the Bahamas.
Speaker 4: That one does. Yeah does.
Speaker 5: When I was in film school, I knew this cat who his family like was like the country's equivalent like the Hershey Empire, like they invented Hershey for like that country. And like one day a professor was like, Hey, what's your budget for your film? And dude just showed him his bank account. He's like, that's my budget.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: He's like, oh, okay, cool. Like I would wish I could get that type of flex. Shout out to my boy Luke kill.
Speaker 4: Him the game.
Speaker 2: It was incredible to watch my friend Chris, who would just be like it would be like Monday at twelve oh one am and he'd just be like, oh, my trust fund and cash just dropped for the next two weeks.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I love it. Let's let's go to Denny's.
Speaker 2: Kate Eleanor is like, Kate, you got to come to the charity auction, Okay. So Kate goes to get dressed and on the way she notices a sword.
Speaker 1: In the apartment. Uh huh.
Speaker 2: It belongs to Eleanor's new boyfriend, the incredibly mustachioed ye Jack Duke Kane Hello, played again by Tony Dalton, who I guess spoiler, Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Even though let's do it Sue's spoiler.
Speaker 2: Jack Dukane is the Marvel villain, the Swordsman, whose background and whose relationship with the other characters in this will be revealed by the show, but he is the Swordsman. Jack is also going to the auction. At dinner, Clint puts Laura on speakerphone. They're at this wonderful Chinese restaurant, and Young Nate spills immediately folds under questioning that the family left.
Speaker 1: Halfway through the music goal.
Speaker 2: Your dad is trying to is trying to spin a yarn here, don Nate, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: He's covered for all, y'all. You gotta have his back.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: Natasha would never never like this is That's the other thing.
Speaker 2: Clint as like a hardened former secret agent partner of the Great Black Widow. Natasha Romanov has to be absolutely sickened by.
Speaker 1: Young Nate immediately just being like, wee we left in the middle of the show.
Speaker 4: Stretch kid rift.
Speaker 2: Come on, we find out that the family will soon reunite.
Speaker 1: Next day, They're gonna be together.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, Clint promises, folks, we're gonna have the best Barton family Christmas ever. Back to the auction, where Kate has decided mystifyingly to dress not just an all black but like legitimately like a waiter at an at a charity auction, to a point where like it's not even it's not even just like all black, but like in a waiter's outfit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, oh, James Bond is pulling up the party.
Speaker 5: Let's go. I mean fit like her fit was done. It was inmact that I could even quite like, I say, that's a that's a dope fit.
Speaker 2: So she she meets Armand Ducane, who a relation, older relation, the uncle of Jack Ducaine, and he is a snowy hair gentleman with this kind of indistinct European accent who apparently has known Kate since she was a child. She used to go over to his brownstone with all the other kids and have like rich kid events over there. Armand mentions that Eleanor and Jack are getting hitched. They're getting married. Oh you didn't know, that's right, she didn't mention it. Armand is and this is a weird vibe. Armand is like, I'm trying to talk Jack out of it.
Speaker 1: Wait what?
Speaker 5: Yeah, don't maybe keep that voice in your head. You don't need to tell you.
Speaker 2: Why are you telling this to Kate who clearly didn't even know they were getting married, And now not only does she find out her mom's getting married, but.
Speaker 1: To a guy whose uncle is being like, don't do this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now, defend this, dude, because you're partner.
Speaker 2: With Come on, Armand suggests that Jack's motives are not quite on the up and up again over sharing.
Speaker 1: By Armand Duke Kde Eleanor later apologizes for not telling Kate herself. That's a smart apology, right there.
Speaker 2: Kate, having to process this, goes outside for a walk or just to hang out outside catch the air. She meets a draggled Golden Retriever who we know from the comics as Lucky the Future, the soon to be future pizza dog who will soon find a forever home in Kate and Clint's hearts and.
Speaker 4: All of our heart hearts.
Speaker 2: Kate wanders into the back rooms of the auction and she overhears a heated conversation between Armand and Eleanor, and Eleanor plays it off.
Speaker 1: She's like, don't worry about that.
Speaker 2: Kate follows Armand through the hallways and the kitchen to the wine cellar where the auction is taking place. In Folks, this is sketchy the shit that is going on down here.
Speaker 1: Let's be real.
Speaker 5: There's always the eyes wide shut situation happening anywhere within someone that has that many zeros behind their bank account.
Speaker 2: And like the number one red flag, first red flag is we're not doing this auction like in the ballroom. We're doing it in the in the fucking basement like wine cellar, Like why is that the place where it's happening.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're wait for me to like a piece of like our man's broken suit or something like you know it's gonna be popping.
Speaker 2: The very first thing that they're auctioning is like a dinosaur skull, savage land drop potentially. And then so as Kate is looking on, suddenly a very interesting parcel pops up, and that is something that was scavenged from the ruins of the Avengers compound. It is the Ronan's sword, which has the blood of hundreds.
Speaker 1: I don't know if human beings on it.
Speaker 4: If you're a person doing crime, your blood's probably on that.
Speaker 2: You are dead. The Ronan's sword and costume. Armand and Jack both want a bit on it. Jack Armand is like, Jack, you're broke. What are you talking about. You're a broke boy. You don't have any money. Armand wins the sword, and just as beating is about to open on the suit, the wall explodes and Russian mafia figures a track suit mafia we were soon to learn, a Russian organized crime group strikes. In the confusion, Jack takes the Ronan sword, Kate grabs the suit, and she overhears the Russians mentioned that their target is another item from the Avengers compound.
Speaker 1: It is a watch. Now.
Speaker 2: Kate, clad in the Ronan suit, takes on the Russians and does a great job. Yeah, it shouts to Kate's martial arts teacher who has been training her at a young age and is obviously like one of the fucking best to.
Speaker 1: Ever do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she was getting lessons from Jason Bourne like she was taking these cats out.
Speaker 2: She was like, what's this, I'll take an eight bottle of eighteen sixty two pino and just like iron out five hardened Russian organized crime figures.
Speaker 1: Bop bop bop bop bop Meanwhile, out on the street, Lucky.
Speaker 2: Comes across one of the Russian crime guys who has found the watch. He just like stumbles on it and one and some of the packages that they're sending up to the street, and almost as if he knows what it is, Lucky grabs the guy's ankle, and the Russian guy is mad at this, and he kicks the dog, and then Kate comes to the dog's aid and saves Lucky from getting hit by a car. I was actually scared that the dog would get hit by which you know, as we all know, is a thing that does happen in the comics, and I just would not.
Speaker 1: Be able to take that in live action. Thank you for not doing that.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the Bartons, now full from dinner, are back in their suite after taking in the tree at Rockefeller Center. They turned the TV on and there's a report on New York One. The great Pat Kiernan, who, let me just say Pat Kiernan New York One. He is an actual anchor on New York One, which is New York City's like cable news network, and my guy, Pat Kiernan. Anytime there is something said in New York, Pat Kirnan is always on the TV. This guy is cacking up. Congratulations to him. So Clint sees a report that the Ronan has been cited in New York City outside an explosion at a high class auction, and Clint is like, wait a second, hold on.
Speaker 1: The suit that I wore to kill?
Speaker 4: Yeah, wait a minute, is.
Speaker 1: Someone's running around as me. I can't have that happen.
Speaker 2: They might frame me for a few other murders in addition to the hundreds that I have committed across the globe.
Speaker 4: I earned those bodies, now, dare you?
Speaker 2: So Clint is like, okay, kids, stay here. I got to figure out what's going on with this, and he heads off to investigate. Kate and Lucky, meanwhile, are back at Kate's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you call this, like a condo.
Speaker 5: Condo loft. Like Also, there's like a restaurant. There's like a booth in there, so it's like a ninety sitcom set. We're like, I wish I could have clyss to, I wish I could have hay Artol's room when I was a kid.
Speaker 4: Like this.
Speaker 2: She's got like the training facility there, She's got like the archery stuff like so and this is kind of in the comics. Kate basically funds the young Avengers like offer trust fund, Like they don't have any money and some of them are not even from this planet. So Kate has to provide the funding for that. And we can see how maybe that could happen. Here by Kate's again unbelievable apartment, Kate feeds Lucky pizza. Thus he becomes Lucky the Pizza Dog. We christen him in the Ear of Our Lord. She's like, Okay, I gotta find out, like something fishy about Armand. I gotta find out what's going on with this auction. She breaks into Armand's mansion and finds one but monogrammed butterscotch. Armand is the type of rich where he's like, I don't take anything into my body that doesn't have my initials on it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, am I poor? No you got Brad. We get this monogrammed candy Son pull.
Speaker 2: Up, and right after that Armand's body, Oh Armand is dead. Kate flees out in the street. Outside Armand's mansion. She runs into the tracksuit mafia.
Speaker 1: They surround Kate.
Speaker 2: She again fights them off ably for a while, but just the stuff.
Speaker 1: Is beginning to get out of hand.
Speaker 2: She locks herself in a car and while she's in that car, bodies start dropping.
Speaker 1: What is it? Clint Barton is here, that's right.
Speaker 2: He hauls Kate out of the car into an alley, rips the Ronan mask off of her and sees that it's this young woman and he's like, wait what And now we're onto episode two. Zig would you think of episode one of Hawkeye?
Speaker 4: Yo? I I loved it. It was fun.
Speaker 5: They're like I had a bunch of thoughts just going around through it. But like my main thing is like one like you finally like they get they let Hawkeye do something that they give him, Like he's not just like family, I have a family doing like he you get to see him do some stuff, like you get to toablished that one that he is like hearing here in pair, Like it's a big thing, like you said in the comics. Huge, But more importantly, my favorite thing is like we get introduced in like some street level Marvel, Like we've never had true on the ground Marvel. It's always like cosmic threat or universal threat, but like seeing this world like it seems very naturally like oh if I go two blocks this way and we're gonna see Kingpin fighting the Punisher or like is j Ever gonna like swing By in the background or something like that. Like I love that, and also I love that, you know, Kate is very capable. Yeah, she still like gets her ass kicked a little bit, which I think is it's a very common theme for like fractions Hawkeye in general. Like, yeah, I like that they're applying like the band aids I think already and all that stuff, or maybe that's episode two, but like I love what it's setting up, like ground Level, street Wise Marvel.
Speaker 4: I love what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's some of my favorite stuff. When I first started collecting comics, it was X Men and Daredevil, So Daredevil was my that was my street level guy, and the fraction in an I series. The specific way in which it kind of redefined Hawkeye for an entire new generation of comics readers is by making him this street level guy and leaning into the whole man.
Speaker 1: I hang out with gods.
Speaker 2: And super soldiers and geniuses, and I'm just like a dude with a bow and arrow, Like I'm not one hundred percent sure what I'm doing here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm also like good at what I do. It's super super fun.
Speaker 2: I love the contrast of like when Kate this is episode two, a little we promised we wouldn't do this, but I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: There's a moment where Hawkeye's like, Okay, we need supplies and Kate is like, oh man, we're going to shit, We're going to Avengers Tower, We're going to fucking the Avengers compound. We're going to some secret like shield save it now. We're going to the bodega and get some neosworn get a box advantages like that kind of I'm just a guy energy, I think is what made the Hawkeye comic really fun. And their chemistry together as like her the kind of like reckless hot shot and Clint Barton the guy who's kind of like done all the reckless stuff.
Speaker 1: Is yeah, wonderful.
Speaker 2: I love the fact that we basically are entree to the story is basically through Kate, you know, for these early episodes, which I think is great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: The thing that reminds me of like it's what I find the most enjoyable about like a legacy character, Like we got a little bit of that with like I guess we got a lot of that in Falcon Winter Soldier, but like it was like they were contemporaries like Steven I guess, well, I guess Steve was like ninety, but like they've worked.
Speaker 4: Together in the past.
Speaker 5: It wasn't like, you know what I really enjoyed about, like a legacy passing the ton It's like, yeah, you have the grumpy old Yoda meeting the wide eyed, optimistic young upstart.
Speaker 4: That's like, isn't it so cool being Hawkeye?
Speaker 5: Like no, it sucks, like I broken all my bones, all my friends are dead, Like there's a I think this might be a spoiler.
Speaker 4: Maybe No, I think it's no.
Speaker 5: It's in the first episode where like you see like how Hawkeye loss is hearing like explosions going off, and like, yeah, you're seeing through walls and stuff. Like it's cool seeing that aspect, and it makes the Baton Pass seems so much more I don't know, fun and fulfilling because it's a younger character, Like you can then think yourself in that character, like she's you know, got a different perspective than Hawkeye, Like her journey seems is going to be like you know, reinrigering the spark in Hawkey and Clant and him being him like sort of letting the shields down and being like, oh, it's I guess it's it's hard, but it's not that bad. Like that's that's what it seems like the journey is going to be. I'm so stoked for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really glad that they brought in.
Speaker 2: His hearing impairment and specifically in the way they did, because I think I love there being some kind of effect of like all these battles and all these losses and some sort of whether it's physical or psychological, some sort of trauma that the character is dealing with. I thought that was for me the most interesting thing about Iron Man three was that Tony was Tony was having trouble, like dealing with the fact that he had to fight off an alien vasion and then had come to a place in his own mind where he was like, you know what, I am willing to be the guy that lays down on the wire. I will pick up the nuclear bomb and I will fly it through a portal. And he was still dealing with that. So I love the fact that the Clint that we are meaning now through. This is a guy who is trying to leave that stuff behind on some level, and he's just trying to live a family life.
Speaker 1: You know, he's got his family back. Now.
Speaker 2: I love that stuff, and it's just such a great entree into these characters. I want to ask, because this is not necessarily a theory, but it's a thing that I wonder will happen. So famously, Clint's love interest in the comics is a Mockingbird, a former Shield agent. Their relationship is often described as like mister and missus Smith.
Speaker 1: You know, like these two secret agents.
Speaker 2: They fight and they argue, but also like they're just romantically doing espionage. Shit, do you think that, Laura Barton, We're going to find out at some point that I know that there is a Mockingbird in Agents of Shield, which I suspect.
Speaker 1: Is not canon anymore.
Speaker 2: But do you think we'll find out that Linda CARDLINI Laura Barton is like retired Mockingbird.
Speaker 5: I think I could definitely see that, because like she's one, she's very she seems as she's prepared. In the movie, he seems so uninterested or unconcerned with like nick Shop stuff, Like oh, the words just hanging out with my property, cutting wood with Captain America whatever.
Speaker 4: I've seen it all. I think it's that.
Speaker 5: Or if episode six Hawkey will be like that's my girl, my little Mockingbird, like that'll be like, that'll be it. I think it's one of the two extrings. I think the cooler answer is the cooler theory would be like Shields, She's like, I take it a bullet for fucking Nick Fury. Let me just chill, have these kids on this farm, you call me mom or whatever. Wilke Chop wouldn't play baseball.
Speaker 2: So we've got now, with the introduction of Kate Bishop, basically the full young Avengers lineup minus Hulkling, who I could see us getting in Secret Invasion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a theory that I have.
Speaker 2: I think because we know that Yolena is going to show up, and we know that Valentina Alegrodfontaine Julie Luis Dreyfus's kind of like darker Nick Fury character is going to show up in this. I wonder if they're going to try to recruit Kate for this kind of like new Thunderbolt Slash Avengers team, and then she's gonna be like no, I don't want to do that. And then we get the off ramp into Young Avengers, which she funds and is like this kind of like scrappy street level bunch of young kids.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, doing their superhero thing.
Speaker 5: I could totally see that. I could definitely see like this is like I mean, obviously this is her origin story, but like she she's gonna have I think she. I could see her having her Tony Stark woman at the end where like the a falls off her apartment and you see, oh, this is what it's all about. Like I want to fund I'm gonna get my boy Eli in here. I want to get kid Loki whenever he shows up and like that kickstarts everything for Cam.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for Kid Loki, a potential Kid Loki.
Speaker 2: Do you have any favorite like Hawkeye slash Kate Bishop, whether it either Hawkeye or Hawk Guy moments from the comics that, yeah, people should be interested.
Speaker 4: There's there's two.
Speaker 5: There's one when it's like Hawkeye just shows up at this apartment and like so the fraction comic is just literally Hawkeye is done with the job, so he moves into like this crappy apartment and he becomes like the shoulder that all the Tendants cry on. It's just him fighting off the tracks mafia. But like all that stuff is fun. But like there's a couple issue run where like we just hang out with Kate for like a little bit. She's like on the West Coast being like a sleuth and stuff, Like you really get to see her La Kate, Yeah, Lakate, Like she's like there's a really fun panel that always think if it's her, like a cell phone, it's like just straight up creeping is like what the panel are is.
Speaker 4: And yeah, it's so fun, and like.
Speaker 5: That's the energy that like I'm hoping that they're build a word from seeing that they are like Kate's fun and personal great offset to like you know, grumpy old Hawkeye. But like that's the energy that I'm most excited to see pop through because you know a lot of these these series and shows, it just our movies have been like the old Guard doing the thing and now you finally, like Peter Parker was like the youngest person to be in the mix.
Speaker 4: So it's good getting some like young blood energy in there.
Speaker 2: My favorite stuff is I love her Young Avengers introduction.
Speaker 1: There is a panel in there where.
Speaker 2: So she's hanging out with Marvel Boys Slash Novar, who doesn't like to be called Marvel Bold, but she calls him that, and they've just hooked up, and all of a sudden, there is a Scull attack and Kate flies into action and her internal narration is awesome and it's done this like really cool art style. But she's thinking as she's bringing into action, like I might misquote it, but it's like I'm not ready and I have nowhere near enough training, but I'm doing this anywhere. And that to me is always like, especially in the early run of her character, is I just love that energy from her where it's like she's maybe not quite ready. How could you be ready for some of the You've got to go fight Hydra and Aim and like all these other international supervillain organizations, how could you possibly be ready for that? But she's doing it anyway because she was born to do this. I love that, Cheff. And so the first like six issues of Young Avengers when we first meet everybody, and then the all New Hawkeye series where it was part of like the kind of like all new movement at Marvel where different people picked up the legacy costume and became different thor different Captain America, different Hawkeye, and we get a I won't talk about what it is because I think that this is probably going to be a lot of the stuff that is revealed later in the series. But we get a really cool retelling slash retcon of Clint Barton's origin story as basically how he comes to pick up a bow and arrow, told interspersed with kind of Kate's adventures as Hawkeye, and it's just like super cool.
Speaker 1: And really really emotionally evocative.
Speaker 2: This is like the Project Communion storyline, which involves these superpowered kids and having to rescue them, and that branches off into another timeline which is a whole nother complicated thing that only takes place in Marvel comics or comics in general. And I hope some of that stuff comes out. Any predictions as.
Speaker 5: We go forward, Man, I think you've already touched on, like the sword has been showing up. I feel like there seem to be really keying in on like this ground level stuff with like the bros the brows in this in the sweatsuits. I hope that we get some like cameos from other street level people, Like I don't think it'll be someone like you know, the Dollars of the Dragon, but like I would love to get like a little seat plant, like oh, this is I don't know, this is I don't know what I think of any street level character that hangs out in New York, Like I think that that's what I'm most excited about, But I'm also your idea of her this being the the the ideation of like the the the New Avengers or like the Young Avengers, Like, yeah, I'm really curious to see, like what happens like episode six, like the last five minutes when like she's sweeping up the burnt out remains of her apartment or whatever and like things together like that, what's that pop moment to like, Oh, I should make the New Avenders.
Speaker 1: Like springboarding off that.
Speaker 2: I have one prediction that I think from your kind of like street level take, so we know that Echo is going to show up, and I do wonder if Electra shows up like as the leader of a trans national Japanese organized crime outfit known as the Hand, maybe like that could.
Speaker 1: I could see that potentially happening.
Speaker 2: Which gives us some cool off ramps into not only various street level characters, but maybe some cool like secret invasion.
Speaker 1: Reveals and then listen.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is going to happen, but I do wonder if Clint Barton Hawkeye buys it in this.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah show.
Speaker 2: Yeah so Clint Barton. We'll cover this in later episodes of Extra Vision. But Clint Barton also wears the cost to him of Ronan. We know that from the MCU, but he does it in the comics, and but he's not the first person to wear it because he's dead at the time kind of the first Ronan shows up. It's very complicated. He dies in quick succession twice and is like resurrected twice.
Speaker 1: We won't go into it again. It's comic shit.
Speaker 2: But I do wonder if, similar to that, if he does not buy it towards the end of this series.
Speaker 4: Or it gets like so severely injured that like he can't do.
Speaker 2: He can't do it anymore and he just wants to like go home and like just you know, chop wheat, mama. This has been a fun conversation. Excited to do it over the course of the next few weeks up next to the endgame, there is no end game.
Speaker 1: There is only actually we're in the end game now.
Speaker 2: Today we're playing another round of Assembly Required, in which Zig and I will select something from the two episodes of Hawkeye for randomly assigned mission and hope that our selections will help our fictional, improvised scenario accomplish this mission. Chris, what is the mission that we have selected for this game of Assembly Required?
Speaker 5: All right, Well, because of the impending Thanksgiving holiday, your mission this week is to pick someone from the first two episodes of Hawkeye to help.
Speaker 4: You cook Thanksgiving dinner.
Speaker 5: Well, let's say like a big Thanksgiving dinner, good, like, you know, ten to twelve people, full family.
Speaker 1: Here, Oh, I love it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So characters or things from the first two episodes of Hawkeye to help us make and serve Thanksgiving dinner.
Speaker 1: Sig, would you like to go first?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I have my answer locked in.
Speaker 5: This is going to be sort of a Captain America situation where, like the leading they're they're delegating task. I'm gonna pick Kate's two black roommates from the opening of Hawkeye one.
Speaker 4: I can guarantee you.
Speaker 5: They got the risk, they know how to cook, they let it come from big families. I'm sure they got that the corn bread on lock. I'm sure they got the sweet potato pie on lock. I'm trusting them. They're my two picks.
Speaker 1: This is actually fantastic. I love it.
Speaker 2: I am gonna pick Hawkeye and Jack Ducane, the swordsman. Hawkeye is going to season and prepare the turkey using a selection of tricks shot arrows. He's gonna use a seasoning arrow, he's gonna use a gravy arrow, and he's gonna use like some kind of flame arrow into row. Yeah, in case everything is like perfectly cooked. And then to slice all this up to perfection. What better job could there be for the rapscallion Jack Dukine, who listen, this.
Speaker 1: Guy loves a free meal.
Speaker 2: He probably doesn't have money, but he does have Ronan's sword, which listen, hopefully has been cleaned thoroughly to get all the human blood off of it.
Speaker 1: Let's hope that happened.
Speaker 2: And then after that has happened, we're going to have the swordsman get in there and slice up the turkey to perfection so that everybody can have the perfectly sliced piece of turkey meat for their plate.
Speaker 1: Folks. That's it for the endgame. Let us know what you think. Who won.
Speaker 2: Who would you select from the first two episodes of Hawkeye to help you serve Thanksgiving dinner. Hit us at hashtag XRVN game to give us your pick. It's a big thank you to Cody Ziggler for joining us today. Another episode of X ray Vision Zig Where can people find your wares?
Speaker 1: Find you when they.
Speaker 2: Need to find you in a moment of need where they're like, we need zig the Z. I'm throwing up the Z sign into the sky. Where can they find you?
Speaker 1: Cody?
Speaker 5: If you need me, find me at gayfersigg across all these social media platforms, I will appear like a dark night and help you out. If you're interested in reading a comic bookshit, which I'm assuming you are because you've been listening to this podcast for months now, check out Amazing Spider Man number seventy nine that drops I think to the day that this episode releases, so that'll be out come through, Support your boy and see what I got to say when it comes to thwipping and equipping.
Speaker 2: If you want to learn more about what we explore in each episode, check out our listener's guide on all things extra Vision in the show notes or on the Crooked website. As the holiday season approaches, now is the time to give back to the things that you love. Give x ray Vision the gift of five stars, five stars only, and a positive review on Apple podcasts please or wherever you get your podcasts, if they allow you to leave.
Speaker 1: A review, leave a great review.
Speaker 2: Starting next week December third, we're going to be moving to a Friday release, which will allow us to catch all of the Marvel magic going forward. As they release on Wednesdays, we need a couple of days to watch that and get content to you again. Catch the latest episode of extra Vision on Friday, starting next week, December third.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is a Crooked Meter production. The show is.
Speaker 2: Produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rubin. The show is executive produced by me and Sandy Gerard. Caroline Resting and Carlton Gillespie are consulting producers, and our editing and sound design is done by the great Vasili's Photopolis. Thank you to Brian Vasquez for our theme see you Later. There is no Turkey, There is only them. Every Loki line read from Borrows. The event is the fucking greatest thing that has ever happened.
Speaker 5: The inter lines he has with like I burdened with the glorious purpose. One of the coldest lines of the.
Speaker 2: When when Natasha is interrogating him like unbeknownt interrogating, then he goes.
Speaker 1: Ooh, it burns you.
Speaker 4: Having so much fun.
Speaker 1: He really is just like beating it up.