Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it. We made it to a Friday. It's our one. It's a meat Friday, but it's a little seafood Friday as well. Oysters from Doug in North Carolina, the Carolina Gold Oysters, reverse seared ribbies, crabcakes, bacon wrapped scallops. Has it better than we do?
Speaker 3: No body?
Speaker 2: Wow. I know morale is high, so is the grocery bill that I'm paying for. But thank you to Doug in North Carolina. He sent three hundred oysters yesterday, so the Carolina Gold oysters. Todd. I said to Toddy, have you ever had an oyster? He goes, yeah, yeah, don't they have like a pearl in him? And I go, no, no, not the ones you're going to be eating. You've I don't think you've ever. I think you've had stuffed clams.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think I've a under of types of stupred.
Speaker 4: For some reason, I thought it was that little pearl thing, one of those little white circles counts as a royal oyster.
Speaker 3: But I guess I don't even know what a royal oyster is.
Speaker 2: Then I don't think that would be good to eat.
Speaker 3: Probably not, it'd be dangerous, okay, but I'm up for trying it out.
Speaker 2: And so's all that. Well, they're raw, just to let you know. These aren't cooked.
Speaker 4: But there's the scallops and there's the ribby, and there's all kinds of other stuff going on.
Speaker 2: Too with them. Yes, yes, grabcakes. All right, all right? Eight seven, seven to three DP show. If you'd like to dial us up, Operator Tyler sitting by to take your phone calls. Chris Fowler will be on the call tonight. It's Texas and Ohio State. We will talk to the Arizona head football coach, Kenny Dillingham a little later on. Also Bill Cower will join us. It'll be the Steeler head coach, CBS Sports Hall of Famer a little bit later on as well. The most must win game of the weekend, we'll have that for you coming up. But Notre Dame comes back to beat Penn State twenty seven to twenty four. And it was such a weird game when you think about it, the back and forth with this Penn State scores the first ten Notre Dame, the next seventeen, Penn State, the next four team and then Notre Dame scores the final ten points. There's a lot of different directions to go in. I think if you're a Penn State fan, you've been down this road before, certainly with your head coach. James Franklin doesn't do well in games against top ten opponents. In fact, he's three and eleven facing a top ten team when his team was also ranked in the top ten. That's the worst record by any active coach with at least ten such games. But give credit to Marcus Freeman Notre Dame. At one point I text the dan Nets and I said, I don't know if they're going to win, but Penn State's a better team than Notre Dame. They had more explosive players have due Carter is awesome. I watched him against USC. I've watched him twice. Like a true game. Now, you can watch highlights and you can make somebody really good or really bad in a highlight. But he is a disruptor. And he wasn't one hundred percent. And we kept thinking, Okay, they got a running attack, that offensive line was great, and I was just waiting for Drew Aller to be who I guess we thought he was. That he was not going to make mistakes, spat it around. The wide receivers for Penn State didn't have a reception. That's really really hard to do. But Notre Dame hung in there. You know, when Riley Leonard got knocked down, I thought he had a concussion, and then you have the backup quarterback who comes in and leads them down to a field goal, going six per seven in that drive, and I thought that's more than three points because I didn't know if Riley Leonard was going to be able to come back it in play. The backup quarterback who's been there for I don't know, two or three years, waiting his turn while they bring in all these transfers and they get a field goal, and it just felt like it was ten to three, but it felt like it was ten to ten. Penn State looked like they should have been up by thirteen fourteen points. I thought they were that good, but they just didn't make a big play when they needed to, and then you had the interception late in the game that led to the game winning field goal. Here's Marcus Freeman on his team last night.
Speaker 5: In the second half, he made some Jeremiah Love plays, and you know when it speaks volumes to the heart he has. He gave everything he had to this place. He did not have to play today, and you know, nobody would have bet it an I, but he put team in front of himself and how he felt. And we got a whole bunch of guys like that in the locker room, and that's why we're in this position.
Speaker 2: Here is the call Notre Dame Radio Network with the game winning field goal by Mitch Jeter.
Speaker 6: Goot snap good, hold, kick on its way and is good.
Speaker 7: It's Jeter who's seventh second left gives the Irish hold twenty seven twenty four Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: He's on the precipice. Yes, and they've also done maybe the impossible. They're kind of likable. Whether you know, I grew up a Notre Dame fan, but if you're not a Notre Dame fan, like I don't think you go, well, I hate Marcus Freeman Like Marcus Freeman's a guy I'd want to play for. And you can get that. Remember when he got the head coaching job, when Brian Kelly left, and all of a sudden he walks into the room, into the locker room, and his players erupted like it was such a cool moment. Now, granted, you know some of those players aren't there anymore, but that feeling is still there. And then they made the right place when they needed to. And you know, right before dru Aler throws that interception, Greg McElroy said, hey, you know he takes care of the football until he didn't. Here is the quarterback for Penn State on that turnover.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I was going through my progression, got to the backside, and honestly, I was just trying to dirt it at his feet. But just I should have just thrown it a way when I felt the first two progressions not open, just because of the situation we were in. But I was just trying to dirt it out Amari's feet. So but just did to execute what I was trying to do, and he was hit when he threw it.
Speaker 2: And it's one of those plays that you still have two timeouts left, little less than a minute to go, and you know the fact that you have two timeouts and you have a little bit of time on the clock, that's why you're not going to play for overtime. You're not going to you know, you're trying to do something and I think that they got a little too aggressive there instead of throwing the ball away obviously, but for Notre Dame. Now they wait for the winner of tonight's game with Ohio State and Texas. By the way, Ohio State is the favor to win the national title. Bennett's Notre Dame and Texas. Ohio State is a six point favorite coming up tonight, Pole question Today's Seaton. By the way, good morning if you're watching on Peacock our a streaming partner, download the app if you haven't done so, if you'd like to watch the show, and we say good morning to iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio in our four hundred cities around America, our riding Seaton.
Speaker 9: That's Friday Dan. You know what that means. That means well, Friday Fetter. Then we do nobody the to dub has okay.
Speaker 2: By the way, the first Hour brought to you by tire rack dot com, the official tire expert of the DP show, The Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Toyo tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation is available tire rack dot com. The Way tire buying should be all right, Toddler DP. Let's see. Yeah, Todd's got a few of them here.
Speaker 9: I don't know if he can call them up right away, but he has one here that was interesting. Would you rather be today, James Franklin or Brian Kelly?
Speaker 10: Wow?
Speaker 4: Wow, Wow, voters take your place.
Speaker 2: Dang, where did that come from?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: One's working on an accent, one's gonna, you know, playing for a national title.
Speaker 2: Uh well, no, he's not playing for a national type.
Speaker 9: Well, a lot of people were pointing out, let's say that Brian Kelly left Notre Dame because he wanted to go to a place where he could win a national title. That is true, and thus far, well, he struggled to be anywhere close to that. I would rather be Brian Kelly today. I would rather be Brian Kelly because once again this this stays with James Franklin.
Speaker 2: He can't win. He doesn't win now, is it all on him?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 2: But you know it still comes back to you. It's on your one loss record. It's not on Drew Awler's one lost record as much as it is James Franklin. And it's not a coincidence. He just doesn't win when his team is ranked in the top ten. He doesn't beat top ten opponents. Yeah.
Speaker 9: So when you have like this, that's like, you know, wide receivers had like zero touches, zero yards, zero touchdowns. Yeah, you put that more on the head coach for not finding a way to get his receivers of the ball. Then you do the quarterback who has to get it there? Well, I would say both yeah, yeah, I would say obviously shared responsibility, but.
Speaker 2: I'd put it on the offensive coordinator. Yeah, and James Franklin, Like, you want to put your players in a position to succeed, and so that's why you have coaches. They need to be coached to be put in positions to succeed. It's really hard to not have a reception if you your Penn State wide receivers and nobody has a reception. And I still watching that first half, I kept thinking, boy, they better score points and you got a great tight end. It just felt like all else fails go to Warren. They had a running game, you had two running backs, offensive line, you had a defensive player might have been the best player on the field. Like it was all there. It matched up for you. I mean, Riley Leonard played well in the second half through for one hundred and sixty yards, but you're still watching, and I just thought Penn State should be dominating, like physically dominating this game. And then it's it's almost like Notre Dame got that confidence boost. Then Ridley Leonard comes back and they kind of it's almost like when you face Mike Tyson, not that Penn State is Mike Tyson, but you have to survive the first two rounds and then once you do, then you gain confidence. And it's like Notre Dame was getting hit and then they're like, all right, we're hanging in here, hanging in here, and then all of a sudden, they didn't get knocked down, they didn't get knocked out, and I think that's a testament to them, and they made some big plays when they needed to. Would anybody want to be James Franklin over Brian Kelly today?
Speaker 12: Yes, Paul today. It's painful, but you're close. You're not off the map right now. LSU with all that talent, not being in the playoff picture is more embarrassing. Okay, By the way, people in college football like the James Franklin nickname small game James.
Speaker 2: Wow d Okay, set a big game James. Okay, dang, Yes, Ton.
Speaker 3: I would agree with Pauli that you got it to the final four.
Speaker 4: I know you didn't get over the hump just yet, but you're extremely relevant and something to build on, and they were one of the last four teams.
Speaker 3: So I'd rather be James.
Speaker 9: Frank Okay, Seaton, right, I think you want to be playing at the bare minimum even if you're even if you are, say, small game, James, you at least got to the big game to not.
Speaker 2: Be able to you know, you lost it, But yeah, I guess I don't want that reputation if I can't win a big game and it's there, and we thought that going into I just thought, you know what, somehow Someway Notre Dame wins this game, even though I thought Penn State was far and away the better team, certainly in that first half. Yes, Marvin, Then what's Brian Kelly's reputation? Maybe the guy who left Notre Dame to try to win titles and then Notre Dame won a national title? Forgive me Brian. Wait wait, wait, no, that's not nice because he hadn't even won all of his games. You no, yes, it's still early, but Marcus Freeman did the impossible. He made Notre Dame likable at least. Maybe I'm overstating this, but I just get the feeling that people watch Notre Dame and they're like, okay, all right, you know kind of spunky here.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, Brian Kelly got to the National Championship game, and Notre Dame's still hasn't gotten the stink off of them yet.
Speaker 2: From that game.
Speaker 9: They got destroyed us. They got absolutely destroyed by Alabama. That was his one moment of let's see what happens when you get the big game.
Speaker 2: He at least got to the big game.
Speaker 9: Notre Dame still isn't taken seriously as a football program because of that one game.
Speaker 2: And I'm a Notre Dame fan, and that one game was so bad. That's when you realized that there was a difference between the SEC and everybody else, or you were reminded that there's a big difference because you watched. When you watch Notre Dame, it's like and I always thought maybe their cleats are heavier than everybody, and like they always seemed slower when they were facing Alabama because Alabama came in. It's like uh, you guys are supposed to be good. They blew them out. It's a different Notre Dame team. You know, it's not a finesse team. You know, they had to kind of sec that lineup a little bit. Yes, Marvin, wait, hold on, Notre Dame got molly wopped by Clemson also in the final four. That maybe the Cotton Bowl. Okay, they got Look it's probably thirty three to three. Yeah, but that was a while ago, two eighteen. That's that's an internity.
Speaker 9: It's definitely way more recent than the example I gave. Correct, I was twenty thirteen, so correct.
Speaker 2: I think I'd still rather be Brian Kelly than I would James Franklin today. But that's a great poll question. You know, I'll ask Chris Fowler that d and he just canceled. Yeah. Yeah, we normally don't have you know, sometimes you get people say, hey, uh, you know, he'll do the interview, but not Chris. But you know we'll have gaslet said, but you can't ask about and normally it's the question I wasn't going to ask that they bring up to me that I go, oh, maybe I should ask that question.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Paulie, I'm not going to give names, but a major music artist was coming in studio, and the last thing we heard from the pub is a was don't ask about what happened in Vegas last week. We had no idea until we looked it up and we're.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, oh yeah, I'm like I want to ask that.
Speaker 9: So anything interesting.
Speaker 2: What goes on in Vegas? Stas he was thinking, last time I was in Vegas, it was really a lot of fun. Ever been there?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's actually happened a number of times.
Speaker 3: Don't ask him what the cops founded his trunk. He doesn't want to get it.
Speaker 2: Talk about, okay, what they found in his trunk. Yeah. I remember right before we were gonna have Barry Bonds on and we were told this is they're going to hand him the phone, and he was on and he was I think he was promoting a new personality. And maybe it was KFC or maybe it was his home security uh company, I don't know what it was. But they're like, all right, Barry's joining us from spring training, and hey, before if we're not talking about stairs there any of that stuff, and you know, blah blah blah, here's baar. I go wait on hold on here. I have to I have to do and I can't have bombs on and then go, hey, so what do you attribute your growth to? Now thirty seconds, you're gonna give me ground rules. I'm like, no, tell Dan no baseball questions. It's cream clear.
Speaker 3: People going to jail for him. We we're not getting to.
Speaker 2: It all right, We're just getting started here. Chris Fowler will join us. He'll be on the call tonight for Texas and Ohio State. We'll get to those phone calls. Glad to have you on board, Dan and the Danage Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 14: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 13: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 14: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 13: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 14: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So.
Speaker 13: Check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, i'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Chris Fowler, he'll be on the call. It's the Cotton Bowl coming up tonight, Texas, Ohio State Herbie will be there, Holly row Laura Rutledge festivities on the mother Ship starting at seven point thirty Eastern. He'll also be on the call for the National title game. Here's your question and Chris, Oh, by the way, it's a good thing they're not playing the game outdoors. How does it look outside there in Dallas wintrey.
Speaker 7: We had like a nice wintry mix. It was snow that became hail, sleep rain yesterday. It's wild. I mean, yeah, it gets frigid also, like very cold and windy. The at and T is right behind me here out that window. It's hard to see, but it's got so in the top of it, and it's nice and warm even in cold weather. Some stadiums are cold when it's cold outside because they don't have heat in them, and this one is nice and toasty, So good setting.
Speaker 2: All right, here's the question I'll start the conversation with. Would you rather be James Franklin this morning or Brian Kelly.
Speaker 7: Oh Man, I got to pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think James Franklin's team. It was a it was a good run. I mean, it's a heartbreaking way to lose the game. Some of those plays that decide it will haunt probably him and his team for a while. But I think there's a lot to be proud of what Penn State did and batt Levin and I don't think that they have anything to really be embarrassed about it at Penn State. If you're James Franklin certainly, you know, I think you've answered some questions. Some remain, but I think I think it was a really good year of Penn State.
Speaker 2: But when we talk about James Franklin, it's about his record against top ten teams. I mean, that's really what his resume seems to be about. Is that favorite.
Speaker 7: Oh well, it's whatever the media decides it's about. I mean, that's part of it. You are, when you're a program at Penn State, you were expected to compete with and beat the best. Your share of the time, most of those losses are to Ohio State, you know. And I was wondering if that was going to be the narrative at Penn State. One last night. Ohio State wins tonight, another rematch in an all Big ten game and in a series that obviously Ohio State's dominated, and I called the last time Penn State beat them was a block field goal run back by Grand Haley on a whiteout night. It's been since then, So we're not going to get that narrative. And I think that's okay because I don't know how much national belief there would be the Pen's Sake could get over the hump against the red hot Buckeye seen if that's what happened. So we don't have that narrative. But you know again, yeah, he's gonna have to get better. They get the beat Ohio State once in a while, but I don't I don't think that's sorely laughing. I gotta be honest with I just don't you know, you want to look at Ohio State against SEC teams who are ranked in the top five. I spin this back because bluck eye fans know that James Franklin's stats. Okay, well if that's relevant. Is it relevant that Ohio State's won seven and one all time against SEC top five teams, which Texas is No, I don't think so at all. So you can you can spin stats any way you want. I mean, would you have loved the game, won the game?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 7: Could they have? Should they have? Maybe? But I don't think that that that's on James Franklin for sure.
Speaker 2: Do you ever have announcer envy when you're watching a game? Of course yeah.
Speaker 7: All the time.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 7: I mean I would not have minded calling Orange Bowl. I live in Miami. For one thing, it is not wintery in Miami. I really had my expectations for that game last night that unfolded. I don't know who's going to win. But I was a Notre Dame practice this week. I saw the Irish I a forecast the kind of game we got. It was going to be three points either way. It's going to come out of the last possession. I don't mind calling games to coming out of the last possession. I would love for this game tonight not to be a first round knockout. But listen, Dan, I mean, like, who am I to whine of at anything? This is our twenty third playoff game the Kirk and I have had the privilege to call tonight. That's a big number going back to the first one in twenty fourteen. So I don't let my envy get in the way of having a good time calling whatever I'm calling. But yeah, that's a hell of a game to call last night.
Speaker 2: But when you're calling a game like this, I know they're supposed to be like it's just another game, but it's not just another game. But then you have to stay in your comfort zone. Do you ever have that kind of conflicting Am I adding too much or not enough? Am I excited? Am I favoring somebody or not realizing it, Like, do you process any of that while you're getting ready or while you're doing it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you do. I don't think I have to worry about favoring somebody because if you honestly don't care about the outcome and separate yourself from that, then you don't have to worry about it. And it's all in the ear of a holder anyway. You know, the fans listening, you're gonna think, oh, he loves the other team, Toby, so look's listen to the call and the other side. That's the same thing. I mean, you know, you get excited when when good things happen on the field, and I don't even think about who's in the uniform that's doing it. I think that you know, you do a lot of these games. You want to strike the balance between certainly not being jaded because you've done a lot of big games and I don't think we ever come across as being jaded or hey and they're done that. It's going to take a lot to impress us. But you also don't want to come out of your shoes in the first quarter. You have to you know, you have to save something for the finish because you can't start the game out at eleven and then there's nowhere to go. So yeah, I think you learn over time that you know a measured approach is good. But you know, when Ohio States scored touchdowns on the first two plays of the game and Jeremiah Smith is doing something special, you know, Okay, you're gonna get really excited about that, and you're gonna get excited when the other team starts to come back and make it a game we all want. We want close games. I have the same agenda. Who do you like? I like a close game. I like a competitive game that viewers like, the people who are not just hardcore fans of the winning team enjoy, because I have State fans enjoyed the hell out of those first two playoff games that we did. If you want a competitive game like last night, not so much so, you know I want I want this to be a battle worthy of the occasion, which last night' semifinal was.
Speaker 2: Chris Fowler will be on the call with Herbie tonight the Goodyear Cotton Bowl that'll be on ESPN. They started seven thirty Eastern. Feels like we're underestimating Texas a little bit and having and I don't know if it's a home field advantage Ohio State travels well, I don't know what kind of sense you'll get of this is a home ish game for Texas.
Speaker 7: Ryan Dave's always really concerned about the crowd. We were obviously at Tennessee came in and brought a lot of fans. Ohioa stadium that fired up the bluck guys. You know, it felt like the Roman Coliseum and something that the visitors brought a lot of people, and Ohio State responded in that way. At the Rose Bowl, He's going, what do you think is it sixty to forty is I don't know what the crowd is. There's a lot of greed. There's a lot of Scarlett. I mean tonight, there's gonna be a lot of bar orange in there. I don't think it's going to decide the game, but I do think, you know, there's an advantage to playing Texas in Texas. You know, if you're the Longhorns, they haven't had great success in this building. To be honest with you, they have won. They haven't played a Cotton Bowl game in twenty years. They've played a big twelve championship game in here. But Ohio State Historic has actually done better in this building than Texas has. It doesn't mean a lot when they're on the same field. But you know, Texas, you said underestimated. It's interesting because I think we've been overestimating the potential of this team, waiting for the pieces to come together, waiting for Texas to play a complete sixty minute game in all three phases, which they have not really come close to doing it. For being honest, they played great football for like thirty minutes. They have a terrible record after halftime in these games. You know, Sarkisian, he just has to address it. So they have to weather the start against Ohio State, as everybody does. They're a good starting team. Texas starts well. Their defense is the best in the country in the first quarter at limiting plays and limiting points. So a lot of say, we'll have to try to change that. But Texas dan they haven't scored a third quarter touchdown in like six games. They have an outscored and opponent in the second half since they beat Oklahoma in the Red River game here in Dallas. That's a long time. That's a shocking stat for a really good team. It's won thirteen games.
Speaker 2: I go back to, you know the fact that we extended the playoff to twelve teams. When Ryan Day lost to Michigan. I wonder if there was a four team playoff, would Ryan Day have kept his job?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think you would have. But I think it would have been a really long, miserable lost season in Columbus without the chance to redeem yourself. But we do have a twelve team playoff, so I think you have to filter it in. I know Ohio State fans. I've done some shows and they'll still never forget that game. And some people would still rather beat Michigan than win a championship, which is lunacy to me. It makes no sense. You got to change your thinking in this twelve team bracket era. And the fact was the opportunity was there for and they they're halfway there. They got a long way to go because if they don't win tonight, then people will remember the Michigan loss because they didn't win a Big ten, they didn't beat Michigan, and they didn't win a national championship. So they're three goals are h for three? There's a lot on the line for Ohio State, and they responded really well to that urgency so far. So we'll see if they and keep doing it.
Speaker 2: Handicap the format for the playoffs. Let's say next year you have total autonomy. What tweaks changes do you make?
Speaker 7: I think there's tweaks that need to be made to the regular season leading into the playoff. I think eventually the conference championship games don't really have a place in this, especially the conference is like the Big Ten of the SEC. Both teams are going to make it every year. It's an extra layer of games. If you really care about workload, wear and tear, then you have to look at that. I mean, these teams have been preparing for this sixteen to seventeen game season from the start, and the smart programs we're doing that the ones that had the resources and the roster to do that. Texas did it. Ohio State did it very intentionally, pranking back to tempo, not playing at piper speed, playing one hundred and fifty less plays in the regular season to save their players for this. It's worked really well. But going forward, I think if you took the conference championship out of it, that would help a little bit. I think that you need to do away with the adviys for the four highest ranked conference winners. I think that's a pretty popular opinion. You see Arizona State boys, you say they didn't play badly. I just don't think that you deserve a top four seed by winning a conference. I think you should get in the bracket. I'm all for inclusivity. Maybe even give an extra uh, maybe make the American Conference get an automatic bit. But don't see them based on act but one through twelve play it out like they do it at college basketball. You don't. You don't get an automatic seeding for winning a conference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to script this for you. Texas is down by four late and Arch Manning comes in. It comes off the bench. Okay, you cut away to the Manning family.
Speaker 7: It's hard, they're hard to find. They high, Well, Cooper's hard to find it. They will find them, though.
Speaker 2: Well you don't. We don't care about Cooper. We care about Arch and Payton and Eli and then and then whatever happens from there. They have the ball, they're down four and here comes Arch Manning savior.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you have one of those stories that you write a movie that sounds like a movie. Script what you just laid out right, what it'd be more movie like if he wins the game and the legend is born. There's a reason why you Weres is playing the game though, and I think you know if that happens, if when Yourers got hurt, that would be tough. You know, he is an Ohio State recruit. We know that he spent a year there. He is the original nil quarterback at court, he really is. He was like the curtain flood you know of free agency, right, that's an old reference. How many people get that reference? But you know he ushered in the nil era and cashed in really well at two places. Good for him. So obviously facing his former school and that's a big plotline coming in if he gets knocked out of the game and artists to go in there. I mean, I don't like to see players fail. It's tough to watch interceptions decide games like it did last night for Dreuell. That's tough. You know, it'll haunt him. I don't like to see takers choke and don't like to see quarterbacks make mistakes at the side games. So in your storybook script, Manning goes down in Texas wins the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you take it from there. Okay, Uh, well, great to hear from me.
Speaker 7: What would you hear from me?
Speaker 2: No, I said great to hear from you. Okay, yeah, I figured that. You know, you're busy. You probably got to work out today. Herbie gonna spot you on the bench.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 7: He doesn't get in the gyms much. But I don't look so much any of the spotter. I'll be all right, t bows around to spot me. Dude, t Bo's working out in the gym like four times a day. I see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, you're not putting up the same weight.
Speaker 7: No, we are not in the same weight class. Speaking of busy, you either love Christmas, you're really busy, or you're just too lazy to take the tree down. I know, how long is a tree? Going to say.
Speaker 2: That all the above, By the way, that I love Christmas, I don't the guy who takes down the tree his girlfriend just had a baby, so that he normally takes down the tree. So I'm gonna blame him. Yeah, yeah, all those fails, I blame it on my staff. Have fun tonight. Thanks for joining us as always, Chris. All right, that's Chris Baller. He'll be with Herbie tonight seven point thirty in the Cotton Bowl. Holly Row and Laurel Rutledge will be there. Chris Wols will be on the call for the National title game. Let me see, let me look at some numbers here for the Cotton Bowl. Let's see over under. I'll bet a lot of people took the under on Notre Dame last night in Penn State because it looked like, oh, it's going to be a slugfest. This is going to be an ugly game. It's going to be decided in the trenches. And then all of a sudden, hey, they're scoring points. Wait a minute here, yeah, Paulin.
Speaker 12: I almost text you guys right before the game. I'll go I'm going fourteen to thirteen. Notre Dame thought was gonna be way under.
Speaker 2: Over under tonight is fifty three and a half and a half. Let me see, I got some prop bets. Jeremiah Smith over under ninety nine and a half receiving yards. Who's gonna throw for more yards tonight, Quinn Yours or Will Howard? According to DraftKings, it's Will Howard two hundred and forty nine yards. Quin Yours to forty four, So just some of the prop bets. Download the DraftKings Sports Book app. By the way, use Kat Patrick and new customers can get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings Sports Book. The Crown is yours. We'll get to some phone calls coming up to this morning and eight seven seven three DP show. Our Play of the Day is up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 13: Oh My God, Play of the Player lives like God.
Speaker 15: It is the play of the day.
Speaker 12: Ship the shout letter, take the snap, gives it to Love, running, left, truck jump, stays on the street through what tackle, muscling and strong heasy, Oh my gosh, hutch down. Notre Day, Jeremiah Love, do it not be tonight?
Speaker 7: One of the most relentless runs you'll ever see.
Speaker 1: Ten note name leads sixteen to ten.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't be denied. Notre Dame Radio Network. That's your play of the day, Jeremiah Love. That's one of those runs that will be played, replayed over and over and over and it'll be part of the scrap book of Notre Dame Football Play of the day, brought to you by Mako. Your car could use a little TLC and the great folks at Mako want to bring your car back to life with affordable paint choms, light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today, Oh, better get Mako a couple of phone calls here. Let's start out with Buddha in San Francisco. Good morning, Buddha. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: No, buddy, Happy Meet Friday Boys DP real quick shout out to my childhood friend Ezra Johnson, who's one of the many many firefighters down in Los Angeles fighting for people's livelihoods. Love you, brother, Be safe. But Dan, listening to Mike Florio floating his MDP boat around like he did earlier this week, I mean he was downright flipping about it.
Speaker 15: I was like my inner Jim Beyheim was like me, and I was like, I just want to make it known Dan that I would never give up my right to call into this show.
Speaker 11: Ever.
Speaker 6: I don't care how many times I gotta set my alarm for five forty five am.
Speaker 15: It's always worth it.
Speaker 16: I'm happy to do it.
Speaker 15: You guys are the best, and I'm incredibly honored in that way.
Speaker 2: Let's go goroncos By the way, I didn't hand out the most Valuable caller the MVC.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 2: I did have a campaign that was staged by Bob in Montana. I think he was trying to buy my vote. He sent me some bourbon, he sent me pictures, He sent me an entire call list of the number of times that he called into the show. I didn't name the most valuable caller. Do you guys have any suggestions here? Marvin, I'll start with you most valuable caller. If I say that right away, your response is recency bias. Gust In la gus In layah gus. I hope to hear from you everything that's going on there in Los Angeles. Hope you're safe. Seaton, you've got a most valuable caller?
Speaker 9: Well, you know, Dan, I don't do it. I don't rank them, I don't put them in order. I don't do the Oh wait.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I don't compare eras Dan. I just don't do it. Oh see it, that's your mic. You're inner, Mike Breen yesterday, This.
Speaker 9: Is probably more controversial choosing my favorite caller. Well, if I'm being put on the spot and you're asking you, the first name that came to my mind was, oh Man, salute the commanders.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that's Paul MBC.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Seeton took it big year, getting better every year.
Speaker 2: He's doing great.
Speaker 4: Todd, Gusts and Buddha cancel each other out, So I'm gonna go Andrew and Washington.
Speaker 2: Andrew and Washington joined the official pick. Hi, Andrew, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 11: Good morning, dan Nannette from the most valuable Danette to the most valuable caller. Thanks, Ritzy, I appreciate that. Anyways, Hey Cleveland, this one's for you. I'm here to attune for my cool steak on the Cavaliers.
Speaker 2: You guys got roughed up to start the show. The opening of the show there, Andrew.
Speaker 11: I don't know any other callers that I've had through each store three show openings in less than six.
Speaker 2: Months, but I got there gradually, So.
Speaker 11: I atone for my sins. You know, out of the teams that have sixty six wins or more in an NBA season, seventy percent of them have won the finals. So Cleveland has a good chance at winning the finals. Dan, I did call to play a quick game of whose stats would you want? If you're available for that? Okay, okay, so here's some Wait a minute, could.
Speaker 2: We do the intro for whose stats would you want? Stats? Do you won? Whose stats?
Speaker 12: Do?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 6: Stats?
Speaker 2: Do you won?
Speaker 6: Magasurance?
Speaker 11: Alrighty, all right. This rookie QB had thirty eight and one passing yards, Drake May, twenty two pds and thirteen interceptions. No, that's not Drake May.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 11: This rookie QB had twenty eight hundred yards, eleven tds and ten interceptions. And the last rookie QB had twenty two hundred and seventy six yards, fifteen touchdowns and ten interceptions.
Speaker 10: Which QB would you choose?
Speaker 11: Dan?
Speaker 2: I think you would probably choose the first one, wouldn't you?
Speaker 11: Yes, that is a good choice. That was Mac Jones in twenty twenty one, The second one was Bryce Young last year, and the last one was Drake May this year. My point is this, it matters who's your offensive coordinator as a rookie QB. And so if they bring in Mike Brabel to the Patriots, I don't think Drake may will grow because Mike Rabel doesn't show that he develops quarterbacks. But Josh McDaniels with Mac Jones in twenty twenty one had the best season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you can always bring in Josh McDaniels. I don't think he's working so Brabel can bring him in. I don't think I mean I would. I don't think Brabel goes in and says, boy, I can develop a quarter I mean, Ryan Tannehill developed in Tennessee into a pretty good quarterback. But you know, let me see a if he gets the job and be who is it? Offensive coordinator is going to be Jake and Buffalo? Hey Jake, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey? Dan?
Speaker 10: I was calling to see if Todd was confident enough in his Broncos this weekend to shock the world and beat the Bills for a pie of the face. But and if he needs any incentive, I saw a staff this morning that Sean Payton is thirty and twelve against bald head coaches since twenty seventeen, and Sean the sermott is very bald.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is straight up, bet Todd. I don't know. I think you've already spoken your piece on this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I have a pine in the bit going already with somebody who I can.
Speaker 2: Double down, I guess, but this is straight up Yeah.
Speaker 3: You think that's fair? You think what's your opinion?
Speaker 2: Well, you don't want to win a bet if your team gets you know that you cover the spread? True, not in the playoffs plays?
Speaker 3: All right, let's call it next takes down Josh Allen.
Speaker 2: Broncos and I like it? All right, Jake, you got a bet with Fritzie. Broncos gonna shock the world. They're eight and a half point Underdoks according to DraftKings This morning, Aiden in Utah, Hi, Aiden, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 16: Dp hell the hockey club. We have a winning record of winning his team in franchise history that I was gonna call. I got. You just gave me another topic to talking about. Todd. You get bullied into being a Broncos fan, say it with your chest, just back away. You always get they have to talk you into being a Broncos fan. Todd, what are we doing? Either you're with us or you're not.
Speaker 4: I am completely with the Broncos since I was like seven years old in nineteen seventy seven, but that's asking a lot for the Broncos to beat the Bills in Buffalo. But I'm still taking Denver. I just made a pie in the face bet that they're gonna win out right, and go Broncos.
Speaker 3: Let's see what happens at the high Mark Stadium in Upstate area.
Speaker 11: Wow.
Speaker 2: If I was a player and you were my coach, I'd run through a wall after that. That was inspirational. Yes, Marvin, get up, Come on, I'm ready to run through a wall today. Alright, get some more phone calls coming up next hour. Bill Cower is going to join us. A little later on, we'll talk to the very colorful Arizona State head football coach Kenny Dillingham. He'll join us. They of course went to double overtime with Texas, so we'll get him to handicap the game coming up tonight eight seven, seven to three. DP Show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show Sunday Night, The Commander's Buccaneers on NBC and Peacock One Hour in the Books on this meet Friday. Two more to go, Dan Patrick Show