Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jettie and now he.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for being here. I hope you're well.
Speaker 1: Hope you had a good, fun, relaxing slash productive weekend. Whatever your goals were, I hope you reached them at least partially. Looking forward to talking to Gary Dietrich, longtime friend of the Armstrong and Getty Show. Gary's a non partisan CBS television and iHeartRadio political analyst, and Gary joins us Now, Hello, Gary, how are you?
Speaker 4: Hey? Joe, good to talk with you.
Speaker 5: Trush your soldiering on towards another NFL season, my friend.
Speaker 1: I am indeed, I am a Gary product of the the auspicious Harvard Kennedy School of Government pre grade inflation.
Speaker 2: As you problem.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that notation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, now, Gary.
Speaker 1: Granted, I went to a pathetic state university where many of the professors weren't even literate, they couldn't even read, and we squatted in min huts on mud floors to study. But back in the day, if I got an a or a couple of them, I was fist pumping.
Speaker 2: I would dance all the way home. It was.
Speaker 1: It was hard back in the day. Probably understand certified genius.
Speaker 5: But oh no, no, Harley, I understand that. You know, I got enough Midwest and I think you know, Joe from Kansas and Ohio roots that I always have to tell me. Listen, were stuck in the back door. I don't know what happened, but I got in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good man. So let's talk about the current scene. I read with interest. I was reading the Washington Post and they were talking about who's going to succeed Lindsey Graham in South Carolina. And what was interesting to me about the article was that the entire thing was who hughes most closely to Trump, Who's Trump credentials are the best. It was as if there are no other issues, like there was no character. There was just the only thing was how trumpy is this person? And I know that's becoming a less and less comfortable dynamic in the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: What are you seeing?
Speaker 5: Well, I think you're exactly right, Joe. I mean we are right now. This midterm really will be the tipping point Joe to you know, how do I say this the movement towards a post Trump era. You know, as he has already said himself, I'm not on the ballot this fall. Well that's not really true because to your point, many Republicans in the primaries want Trump to be their buddy in this balloting in the primary. But as we move towards a you know, absolute critical mid term election here, that could determine a lot about the second half of the final Trump Trump posts, I mean, Trump presidency. You know, Democrats are still going to make the midterm a lot about him and pulling numbers. They're pulling up, you know, validate a lot of that, and he's down to like thirty four percent approval that match just low of his first term. He's up in about three quarters of voters saying I'm not happy with things economically.
Speaker 4: You know all the data, Joe.
Speaker 5: So it sort of depends on what state you're in and whether you're in the primary or a general, be the midterm or heading towards twenty eight about whether affiliating with Trump right now is a plus and a minus. And then many of these swing states know the conundrum for the GOP is it's both.
Speaker 1: So I wonder whether We're going to see a lot more armstrong and Getty esque statements of Hey, a lot of the stuff the President's done is great. I support it one hundred percent, but there's a lot of stuff I don't like too. So I'm you know, I'm an independent god. I'm gonna be with him money's right, and I'm going to pose him money's wrong. You think more like is standing on your own two feetish?
Speaker 2: Perhaps?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think there's going to be a lot more of that, especially in these very very purple states. As you know, though, that's a tough tightrope to walk. You know, it gets a little nuanced, and you have to be careful, as you know, because all of a sudden you could find yourself on the wrong end of a true social post from the White House saying, you know, this person's not trumpy enough, and I withdrawing my endorsement whatever. You know, It sort of like cuts cuts both ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would just suggest to the Republican candidates out there, the way I just suggested it is the only way to go. You just at some point you do you and let the chips fall. If you're constantly reactive and just trying to take the path of the East resistance.
Speaker 2: It's just no, no, don't be that.
Speaker 1: But you know, nobody's going to listen to me anyway, So we'll have to see how that evolves. Meanwhile, and this is really I think the political headline in America, Garry, the mainstream of the Democratic Party has got to be freaking out a little bit about a little a lot about the ascendants of the far far left, the DSA and all that hearing from folks close to the party.
Speaker 4: Well, that's one hundred percent true.
Speaker 5: I mean, you've got, you know, loud voices like a James Grbel saying, look, I'm about ready to leave or they need to get out of our party. Steve, You've got that element out there. You got John Freederman saying essentially the same thing, you know. And the challenge for the Democrats. And this is the thing about this one and why this is so juicies, you know, Joe, is that this all happened in like six to nine months, right, all of a sudden, Mom, Donnie wins Well maybe that was a one off whatever, but no, all of a sudden in the in the bluest most critical of swing state's Michigan you have them guessed it was only about one percentage point. But you have you know, a DSA affiliated candidate, you have the you know, Democratic nominee for Wisconsin.
Speaker 4: Governor and a formal part.
Speaker 5: Of the Democratic Socialist So I mean, this is becoming for Democrats a massive headache where they wanted to make this solely about Trump and what they perceived to be as weaknesses on Iran, on the economy, especially right now they are on defense and Joe. This is going to be so interesting to watch because Davin Newsom, for example, California governor big time asprint for twenty eight.
Speaker 4: Where was he this weekend in Michigan?
Speaker 5: How close does the how do we say this mainstream Democrat or somebody especially that wants to White House in twenty eight, how close do they coose you up to this new wing you could call out of the party knowing that as they say, this is where the energy is, et cetera right now.
Speaker 4: But could it become.
Speaker 5: A major albatross both in the midterms and especially as we point towards twenty eight.
Speaker 1: The Republicans, obviously Gary are going to try to make it the biggest albatross ever seen.
Speaker 2: And I think it will work to some extent.
Speaker 1: I know you, like me, have been studying political movements for a very long time. I came across a piece. His name always escapes me, Brooks. He writes sort of the Free Press. He's professor. He talks about happiness and that sort of thing. And he was positing in a column that I responded to. But he said that this socialist thing, the DSA, it's just a fad. It's just something the kids are trying on for a while, and it'll go away like disco or you know, Neon colors in the eighties or whatever. And I thought and wrote back, I think he's completely wrong, partly because of the way the American educational system has been taken over by the left. In fact, the very very far left, the critical theory crowd in a lot of ways. And I've seen, I've studied plenty of mainstream political parties and movements that have gotten taken over by the very energetic, small ish, but absolutely hell bent, you know, left wing, for instance.
Speaker 2: And I could easily.
Speaker 1: See the democratic establishment thinking, oh, we can handle these people. I tell you what, We'll take them in, we'll take the energy, we'll get those votes. Then we'll co opt them. Well, we'll choke them off, and we'll keep control of the party. But we've both seen that sort of thing blow up through history.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Joe, I think you're exactly right. I mean, I side where you come down on this analysis. And it's not just because a younger voters, who, by the way, let's remind ourselves, were highly activated.
Speaker 4: This isn't the first time around for this kind of a deal.
Speaker 5: Remember how close Bernie Sanders came to completely overthrowing the Democratic establishment i e. Related to Hillary Clinton, and most young and disaffected voters say, were it not for the DNC sort of rigging the game and that election, Bernie might have won that nomination. So this has been brewing for a while. Add to that, Joe, which you also know, and that is the incredible disaffection with the established, really older part of the party. Okay, and I'm talking about Nancy.
Speaker 4: Pelosi's just upset.
Speaker 5: But Chuck Schumer, all these octagenarians that younger voters, even without the DSA, were saying.
Speaker 4: It is time for you to step aside.
Speaker 5: So this is not going to go away. I don't think this is going to be a real challenge, not for just the cycle, certainly in twenty eight and maybe beyond.
Speaker 1: And they're right. I mean, they've identified the disease just fine, the old Garter hacks, but their cure for the disease I think is completely wrong. Garry Dietrich on the line, Hey, Carrie, speaking of the DNC. I know they're going to announce soon the primary states and what order they're going to happen in, and I hear there could be big changes.
Speaker 2: What are they up to? What do you think the strategy is?
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is actually a really big deal. People say, oh, this is a snoozer. No, not at all.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Remember that what saved Joe Biden's bacon last time around when he got the nomination was this state that had never been first in line, and people said, what South Carolina. Well, it's happening again, and what's gonna happen formally? So people know by the end of this week the DNC will determine which states and where they go. Now, here's the list we have right now, and this is almost certainly reportedly going to be where they end up. South Carolina is going to go again, followed by Nevada a little bit later, and then New Hampshire, New Mexico, Michigan, and Virginia. Real quick, here's how this breaks down. Joe putting South Carolina first really enhances most people believe the block vote recognizes that. Remember that that is really Joe Biden lost the first two primaries. I will enhishi did that pulled it out. So here's the thing people are now saying, who does this benefit. Is this basically to rig the party structure for the newly progressive, energized wing or is it to you know, shore up the old guard? You know what, There's no clear analysis on that right now.
Speaker 4: But here's what we do know.
Speaker 5: Putting South Carolina first and Joe, I know your proclivities when it comes to the former vice president and her aspirations potentially in twenty eight, most people are saying this is a serious benefit to Kamala Harris should she run, and by a way, all indications are right now that's more likely than not. And maybe others maybe a Wes More, maybe a Corey Booker, you know, not necessarily just black candidates, but there's that, and also people who, let's just say, are not in well, you might call it more of a mainstream people looking at Kentucky's Andy Basher, the governor or Josh Shapiro from Pennsylvania. We'll see what this plays out, but certainly it's going to begin to set the map Joe for twenty eight in a way that is just going to enhance the battle we were just talking about between the so called new progressive DSA types and the establishment.
Speaker 1: Right now, we've only got about a minute left, Gary and I want to get a little into the weeds, which means we'll have to check ourselves for tics. But so South Carolina is the black vote, which tends to be fairly and I'm grossly oversimplifying, but which tends to be fairly mainstream Democrat. And then the idea of Nevada going next is a lot of unions. They tend to be fairly mainstream Democrat. But if I look at some of the unions, like the SEIU in California, they're just communists. I mean, they are absolutely as far left as you can get. Uh is are the is everything changing so fast that even the best laid plans of the DNC might not go the way they think they're gonna go. They can't fix it like they did with Hillary and Bernie.
Speaker 5: For instance, I think you're exactly right, Joe. And just to put this real, real, succinctly, the union vote is not going to be monolithic. It isn't even in the SEIU in California. We don't have time to go into the details. But you're gonna see you're gonna share a lot of intra union battles. Even remember when when a lot of the big unions change. There's another thing. Hey, you know what we're thinking about getting behind Trump. You're gonna see that battle within the Democratic Party. Which unions, not all unions, Which unions go on this side, which put their chips on the other side.
Speaker 2: Gary Dietrich, CBS Television and iHeartRadio political analyst, Gary, it's been too long, a great pleasure. Let's do it again soon.
Speaker 4: Likewise, Buddy, thanks Bud.
Speaker 1: All right, a word from our friends that simply save home security. Think about what a home security is system does as an intruder approaches your house, Uh, nothing until the window breaks, Then the alarm goes off, then you get a notification, then maybe the cops come. What if the whole point was to stop the chain of events before it even started.
Speaker 2: That's the question.
Speaker 1: Simply Safe is answered, and most other companies haven't. Unlike traditional security systems that only alert you after a break in's already underway, simply Safe is designed to help stop intruders before they get inside. So you got your smart AI powered outdoor cameras detect suspicious activity at the perimeter, alert the live US based agents to step in. Simply Safe agents assess the threat intervened through the outdoor camera to scare off the trespassers and call for a nine to one dispatch. Yeah, they can talk to the scumbag through the cameras and call the cops. And it's not like, hey, there's some weird alarm going off at Joe's house. No, they'll say, there's an intruder trying the windows at Joe's house. You got to get there quick, so much better. Simply Safe has been protecting our world for twenty years. Right now, you can get fifty percent off a new simply Safe system. Go to simply safe dot com slash armstrong. It's simply safe dot com slash armstrong for fifty percent off. There's no safe like simply Safe Armstrong.
Speaker 2: Hey man, there's so much great stuff to talk about. Just not enough time.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I want to get to Mark Zuckerberg's big long piece about AI. Oh gosh, it's a little complicated and a story about LA schools. Good lord, is the LA school district falling apart. It's the world's most obvious slow motion train wreck.
Speaker 2: It's just oh well.
Speaker 1: All I guess we can do is keep fighting for you know, reasonableness and conservative principles and hope the world smarts up. Speaking of Mark Zuckerberg, Akka Satan. The meta smart glasses are now increasingly referred to as pervert glasses. The backlash against the glasses is growing online. Katie Green joins us for a bit of reaction anyway, I hope. I don't know, have you heard about any of this in the real world yet, Katie, that there are lots of people wearing these glasses which look like a regular pair of glasses, and they can videotape or audio tape with people for that matter, And I still use tape because I'm old. They can video or audio record people without those people knowing. Now, theoretically there's a little light or something, but it can be you know, covered or whatever, and what they're trying to do is like they try to pick up a woman or hit them with a line or say something objectionable, then get their reaction and post it online.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I haven't heard about this in my day to day life, but I've been reading instances of it, and there was a video that went up where a guy tried to do this to a woman and she kind of clued in. She went, wait, are you recording me? Because you can see I mean, they're actually they're at least on the ones that I've seen, there is not a light. It's just you can if you hone in on the outside of the frame, you can see the actual camera.
Speaker 2: I can.
Speaker 6: I can see it happening. I don't know how how popular that is.
Speaker 2: Some businesses are banning them. Yeah, I've seen that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've seen where you know, the you can't go in with these things on, and I mean I'm looking at their website right now. When I purchased mine, which I'll we've talked about it before, I use mine to videotape my newborn because I can go hands free, and I've gotten some great footage of him using these. But they've released at least twenty new styles from when I purchased mine that don't look like they have cameras in them, but they do.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow yeah.
Speaker 1: Here yeah, here is a list of a couple of businesses that have banned them. I can't wait to talk to Anastasia Anastagia Boden about this topic. Excuse me in I think she's gonna kick off our for Yeah, that's right, because I'm sure she has some important, you know, liberty constitutional case stuff to talk about. But and we talked about the case. What was it in New York? I can't even remember the particulars of it.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh.
Speaker 1: It was the couple that was smooching on the park bench and some online provocateur videotape them then released it. And it turns out the dude was a high powered lawyer and the woman was as much younger underling at the firm, and he's losing out on a job offer, and blah blah blah, and and in this new era, because the old doctrine is, if you're in public, you have no expectations of privacy.
Speaker 2: But what about somebody who exploits.
Speaker 1: That for profit and deliberately provokes an embarrassing encounter so they can.
Speaker 2: Exploit that right. Where where are we now?
Speaker 1: And so I want to talk to onastage about that, But you know I was going to squeeze in discussion of a a new scam going around, the jury duty scam. Evin evidently is full in lots and lots of people. Maybe we'll squeeze that into next half hour. Stay tuned that and much much more. If you can't stay tuned, just grabbed the podcast. You ought to subscribe to it auto downloads Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 2: Hang around, We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: Are ron defiant.
Speaker 7: The president is looking for a way out.
Speaker 2: I'm involved in the negotiation.
Speaker 4: I think we're doing fine.
Speaker 7: But the Iranians say they will never reopen the strait of arm moves unless the US corrects its behavior.
Speaker 2: Uh wait a minute, Wait a minute.
Speaker 1: It was end of last week, wasn't it that the President told reporters he was prepared to launch the biggest military military attacks since World War Two, but was then was then talked down by US allies because.
Speaker 2: The deal was imminent.
Speaker 1: And on Friday, the president on social media suggested victory was already in hand link to an article declaring Donald Trump won the Iran War. Vice President Vance told Fox News that the US would continue to pressure Iran to make long term changes, but essentially the straight thing is settled.
Speaker 2: That was on Friday.
Speaker 1: I guess well, here's a little more information on the latest twist.
Speaker 2: Next clip, Michael.
Speaker 8: Iranian leaders are again demanding more concessions from the US, including the lifting of the naval blockade, removing sanctions, releasing frozen assets, and providing compensation for the war before reopening the straight Now it's increasingly clear Iran believes it has the upper hand, betting the White House wants to end this confrontation more than it does.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the new deal, since the President said the strait will be opened, is Iran says, you need to permanently end the war, lift the naval blockade, withdraw all your forces and all your sanctions, free all of our frozen assets, pay US war reparations and all threats and insults going forward, and stop military action against any of Iran's militia allies around the region, from the she and militias in the God forsaking parts of Iraq to Hasbolah to the Hothies. Got to call off the dogs on all those people, and then we'll open the straight. That's the new deal, bitches, and I use that term advisedly. That is Iran's attitude at this point. We're not coming to you hat in hand asking you for terms. You're coming to us Trump, and here's what it's going to take.
Speaker 2: Trump. They are defiant.
Speaker 9: Next clip Aaran well aware of the power of their stranglehold over the Straight. His energy prices remain high. They're also likely well aware of reports that this war is taking a real toll on US munitions.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 9: Aron says they are exchanging messages with the US through intermediaries, while President Trump told Axios they are quote only semi negotiating with them, Trump saying, we are low.
Speaker 1: Keying it, semi negotiating with some. Let's skip to General Jack Keane sixty seven. Here's what he thinks is going on.
Speaker 3: You gotta understand where this regime is really coming from the people who are running it. They have an ideology that they're holding to. They absolutely believe right now that they have the upper hand. I notice people that don't want to admit that. But that's where the Iranians are. I'm not saying that's where they are. I don't believe it myself, but it's irrelevant. They believe it. They believe the stretch of moves is a strategic asset and they are not going to bargain that away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As I've said before, they were intent on getting a nuke and still are, of course, but they were intent on getting it. So that was their veto against any attacker, invasion or anything like that. That was their deterrence. And now they've realized, oh, the straits of Hermus and that other one over or over yander out to the west, the El Shababa Aria or whatever they call it. As long as the houthies are cooperating, they can shut that one down too. And they're thinking, oh, hell, we're working on his bomb all the time, all this time, and we got the straits we could close. This is great, This is our veto. And one more aspect of this from General King so.
Speaker 3: We get closer to the midterms. They want to create a volatile situation that demonstrates that the administration is not managing the war properly so that that will impact them in the midterm elections. The Iranians have always multiple administrations been tuned into what is happening in America. Where is our political resolve? They focus a lot on our people to understand where the American will truly is.
Speaker 1: And I've never known exactly what to do about that as a huntry, other than maybe just being aware of it. All your evil regimes that we talk about all the time, primarily you know, China and Russia and Iran. They have access to our media, so we have open, free media. They have access to gallop poles. I mean, they have entire universities full of folks who the government uses to study the American political system and where we are right now and what levers to push or pull depending on, you know, how the lever is. I mean, greatest example, I mean most clear example. You remember back when we all became aware of the fact that Russia and China have all these bought accounts on all the social media and or its their intelligence services that have these accounts, and they would say, hey, like a lot of black people are mad, they've they've fallen for this critical theory stuff, George Floyd, et cetera. So let's get in there and let's really really push white people are evil simultaneously. Let's really really push that that movement is out of hand and white people are good and let's just get them at each other's throws. So they're intimately acquainted with the American political.
Speaker 2: System and media and the rest of it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they're trying to trying to exploit the hell out of it the best they can.
Speaker 2: And they're right in this case.
Speaker 1: Whether it's gas prices or just tiring of the war, or certainly any loss of life, the American people have very low tolerance for it, and the IRGC knows that. Though they're getting squeezed pretty severely, I think economically, the administration is getting really squeezed politically, and it's definitely a game of chicken who can hold out the longest. One more note on this, let's go to Vice President J. D Vance clip number sixty six describing where he perceives we.
Speaker 2: Are or really in the middle of the game here.
Speaker 7: This thing is not over, and I feel quite confident we will get there, but we're still a bit in the middle of the game. They're hurting in a big way. They want this thing to be over. The question is whether they're able, their system is able to give the things that are necessary for us to be happy. For us to feel like we've gotten what we need out of this particular engagement that is still to be determined. But I do think that we've made some progress.
Speaker 2: Over the last few days.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody believes you, JD. You might be telling the truth. That might be true, but we have no way of knowing it's true. You've said we're close to a deal, and the President has over and over and over again. And whether the Iron GC is undermining the negotiators or just everybody's screwing with you, I don't know. But we've made progress. Yeah, maybe you have, maybe you haven't. Was it a miscalculation, was it a bluffying called?
Speaker 2: Either way, we're in a.
Speaker 1: We're in a bit of a world, a hurt right now, I mean not bad hurt as a country, but definitely painted ourselves into a corner, not quite sure what to do. So I want to talk about the LA school system and the miserable state of affairs there in a moment or two. Also, I want to squeeze in the jury duty scam because I sure as heck don't want you to fall for it. I'm telling you, you think you're pretty smart, you think you're pretty sophisticated. Yeah, me too, But boy, the scammers are getting good.
Speaker 2: That's coming up. Stay with us.
Speaker 10: According to insiders, New York City Mayor zoorn Mom, Dommy is thin skinned and hyper sensitive to public criticism. Now, normally i'd make a joke about him, but I don't want him to fly a plane into my building.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's an edgy joke there, Greg Guttfeldt, if you need them. Looking forward to chatting with Anastasia Boden from the Pacific Legal Foundation next hour Man. We have some great topics to discuss, including President Trump's recent new attempt at an executive order ending birthright or a birth tourism. Exactly the right person to talk to you, so we'll do it. Public school systems government school systems in America are, to a greater or lesser extent, depending on which one you're talking about, a union scam to get money masquerading as an education system. I think their purpose has been perverted. They're now a money money It's bigot for unions and looking at some thinking by Elisia Finley here in the Wall Street Journals.
Speaker 2: She's written a.
Speaker 1: Great piece talking about that public schools across America are in the unions that control them are learning about Margaret Thatcher's famous quote about the problem with socialism is eventually you run out of other people's money. Well, COVID dollars from Washington just pumped huge amounts of money into public schools and papered over a lot of their structural budget problems.
Speaker 2: For a little while.
Speaker 1: But now that that the incredibly inflation causing ill advised federal money is drying up, the red ink is really starting to show up. According to Labor Department's monthly Jobs Support on Friday, local government education shed fifty thousand jobs in July, the leading contributor to the nation's twenty three thousand unemployment decline twenty three thousand person unemployment decline net and she points out the ground zero is the LA Unified School District, the country's second largest after New York. The La County Office of Education is their boss. They oversee the school district, and last month they warned that the district meets the criteria for a lack of going concern designate. That's some absolutely lovely uh euphemistic or play meaning you're about to go bankrupt. On the current course of the district will not be able to pay its bills next year, according to the county's letter. In June, the district ratified agreements with the unions despite repeated warnings by county officials that you can't afford these contracts. The union agreements are projected to cost one point one three billion dollars this year, one point one to three and one point four to four next year, money the district knew it didn't have when it agreed to the deals. But here's what you need to know about that sort of vote. You've got union lawyers on both sides of the bargaining table in especially in California. California's like the worst example. Illinois terrible too. Where you go from you're a union lawyer to you get elected to the legislature with union money and then there's no oppositional negotiating. It's the same parties on both sides of the table.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Wait, the district even warned in February, a few months before agreeing to the labor contracts, that it has an eight hundred and seventy seven million dollar deficit that could require thousands of layoffs at some point.
Speaker 2: We reached a.
Speaker 1: Breaking point, said then the then superintendent, who resigned in late June amid an FBI probe related to district contract. Oh boy, that's a shock. Nonetheless, the district, knowing this, agreed to boost pay for principles and assistant principles by twelve percent.
Speaker 2: Over two years. You got a raise like that, friends, Yeah, me, neither.
Speaker 1: They've increased teacher average pay by fourteen percent over two years, and raised compensation for non instructional employees such as Kostonians, campus aids, and cafeteria workers by twenty four percent over three years. In addition to sweetening health benefits pay for this, the district sought to raid its retiree health benefit funds. So that's like tapping your four oh one k for a holiday you can't afford.
Speaker 2: You're covering up a structural deficit. It's not like you're investing it.
Speaker 1: And the LA District's problems are a lot like those of other large urban school districts. Unsustainable spending, particularly on administration employee benefits, combined with shrinking enrollment. For every buck that a teacher earns in conversation, the district and state pay thirty cents more toward de pensions, and I've got more percentages and numbers and stuff like that, but you know what, the tail is wagging the dog in education now one hundred percent. And they're a hell of a lot of teachers. I love, and they are some of the most important people in my life and your life and kids' lives all over America. I love teachers, despise teachers unions. More to say on that topic, but I want to move along to this. It's a story about this gal happens to be in Florida, but it doesn't really matter. And she was driving driving through the streets, talking to the sheriff's deputy about his three young daughters as she was heading to a grim errand gathering thousands of dollars in bail to avoid arrest for missing jury duty. This woman's thirty eight years old, she's a I think she's a mom. She's a manager in the finance department of a government contractor. And she was convinced by these cop scammers that she'd missed jury duty and had to pay a fine, and they when she reached the drop off point, she balked it was a convenience store with abandoned gas pumps and a cryptocurrency machine inside. She was told scan this QR code and feed the machine four thousand dollars in cash. Well, She walked back to her car and began to voice doubts that have been building? Are you sure this is where I'm supposed to post the bail? And the officer's friendly demeanor vanished. His voice rose. He reminded her that he was tracking her location and the deputies were two blocks away ready to bring her in. So she went back inside and made the deposit. Is she a soft head? Absolutely? She is a softthead? Are you kidding? You're gonna fall for that? But it's worth knowing how good these people are because there's scams in their strategies.
Speaker 2: Will adapt.
Speaker 1: You got a team of at least five scammers playing different roles, each of them with dead perfect Florida accents. In this case, they kept her on the phone for nearly ten hours and talked to her in a handling over twenty five thousand dollars. She said, they had me scared. They knew my social Security number, they knew how much I had in my bank account, they knew every single thing about me. Again, this gal, I'm sure, she's a nice gal, she's a bit of a soft head. Why would your local police department know how much you have in your bank accounts? They don't get to know that. That's not a thing, as the kids say. But there are so many scams, phony ups, texts, I get those all the time, AI generated voices of loved ones in trouble, spoofed emails, tricking city governments. People reported losing three and a half billion dollars to imposter scams last year. That's nearly tripled the level in twenty twenty three and a half billion dollars. And friends, that's what people admitted to. And a lot of people lose the money and think, there's no way I'm going to get this money back if I bring it to anybody's attention. And Joe Getty's gonna call me a softhead, so I'm just not going to bring it to anybody's attention. So that number I'll bet is it could easily be double that three point five million dollars. Some of the swindles are originating the overseas, run by sophisticated criminal syndicates. Some of these some of these scammers actually have HR departments in performance reviews. They are corporations, but increasingly they come from closer to home. For instance, the Justice Department convicted a couple of Georgia inmates who ran scams on stolen cell phones from behind bars. So yeah, they sound like locals, and they convince you this, that and the other. So here's the takeaway. And you know I shouldn't use the term softhead. I have three children. I adore them. One of them is very savvy, very skeptical. One of them is very very credulous. Is a fairly easy mark for scammers. And so maybe it's a genetic thing, maybe you're born with it, whatever, but authorities are warning you they will not call you ever to threaten, arrest or demand money over miss jury duty.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 1: And as hard as it might be to imagine, so called panic scams work by triggering your stress responses that shift you into fight or flight, which impairs your rational thought some people more than others. According to cyber security experts, the perpetrators leverage your claimed authority and apply tremendous pressure.
Speaker 2: And in a Reddit thread about the jury.
Speaker 1: Duty scam, for instance, quite a few people who fell for it describe being duped and said stuff like quote.
Speaker 2: I would never thought I would fall for this.
Speaker 1: Another one, they basically psychologically kidnap for you and you stop thinking clearly just what we said before. And the second they get off the phone is the second they start thinking on their own. According to this guy who's an expert in these scams, oh man, you just got to know what these things feel like or sound like when they get started. And no, it sounds plausible, but if it has these earmarks, it's a scam.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Great discussion about birth tourism, constitutional rights. Can you expect privacy in public getting videotaped on a stage or boat?
Speaker 2: Next? If you don't get it, get the podcast,