Speaker 1: Warning. This podcast spoilers for the season two finale of Yellow Jackets and some spoilers for the finale of season three of The Mandalorian and The Nerd out be warned. Hello. My name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosy Night and welcome to Extra Vision of the Crooked Media podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: In this episode, in the air Lock, You've wanted it, so we're doing it. We are doing the Yellow Jacket season two finale. We're gonna break down all the wildest things that happened, and there were a lot of them. There were a lot of them.
Speaker 1: It's bananas, folks, It's insane.
Speaker 2: In nerd out Lee offers the Moff Gideon theory from the recent finale of The Mandalorian.
Speaker 1: Coming up the Yellow Jackets season two finale.
Speaker 2: We're stepping out of the airlock and into the frosty wilderness of the Yellow Jackets season two episode nine, which is also the season finale episode nine Storytelling, directed by Karen Cassama, She Came Back Icon, I Love Karen Kasama, Jennifer's Body, The Invitation. She also directed the pilot and it was written by Amini Rosa. Now, the finale of Yellow Jacket season two finds the survivors in the present planning a new sacrifice and the survivors in the past dealing with the fallout of how these death flash murder, and over the course of the episode, a ton of very wild stuff happens. So we're just gonna break it down piece by wild peace. Jason, First of all, how did the finale work for you?
Speaker 1: It was very insane. I thought you could have combined season one and two and made one really crazy season of television. The Adam death murder storyline just took up way too much meat space in this season, and ultimately I feel like we didn't need it because we've ended up in a place and we get there in the most insane way where basically that chapter is closed.
Speaker 2: It's the walking Dead issue. We did a lot of extreme stuff to get to a place where it doesn't matter. We ended up essentially where we kind of began at the beginning of season two, which is nobody knows and it doesn't matter. So I agree with you. I think RP to Adam alpt it loved Adam seemed like a really cute guy, like sorry he got chopped up. And I love the domestic drama between Jeff and Seana.
Speaker 1: Jeff is going through it man.
Speaker 2: And Callie's been a fun addition. But I agree absolutely. I would say like ridiculous, like the finale was totally wild. Like ridiculous to me is not a negative thing. Now it's complimentary, but a lot of wild stuff happens. I would agree. I think that Adam Martin murder, in hindsight, that plotline like took up too much time.
Speaker 1: We could have sown that whole thing up in like three episodes.
Speaker 2: I also think, look, people get murdered all the time, and you know what, it doesn't always get solved.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying like that could have been a back burner.
Speaker 2: Plot line where we could have focused a little bit more time on the survivors.
Speaker 1: I think, in small town New Jersey, you got to solve this random murder of this kind of working artist. And I think Kevin was like, this is my path to promotion, this is my path to success. It involves people that I kind of know and have a relationship with already. I got to solve this fucking crime. In fact, I have to solve it so badly that I'm gonna get one of my colleagues to seduce a teenager and that's how I'm gonna do it. Like, that's how much he wanted to solve this murder.
Speaker 2: That was absolutely illegal. I'm just saying, Look, I know that maybe there are not many people around to hold the police accountable if they're doing illegal things, But I feel like Kevin was much too casual on So I agree with you. Him and m Sarahkuza were a nightmare team who saw, you know, Adam Martin's death so that they could you know, climb up the ladder of policing. Well, let's see how that worked out for them in this finale episode.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So in the nineties we begin. It's the fallout of Harvey's death. Everyone's upset, nobody wants to be eating Harvey's body, but they're all gonna do it anyway.
Speaker 1: They have to do it.
Speaker 2: That's how it is. In the Wilderness, Baby, the wilderness chose and the first wild moment we have to talk about. So Shanna goes out, she chops up Harvey's body like she's been studying at butchery school. She is bringing that in. It looks delectable. How did she learn this?
Speaker 1: Also, that is like hard fucking work. At one point and this made me laugh at loud. You see Harvey's heart which has been extracted from his chest cavity, whoa, and it looks pristine and perfect and maybe a little big. Like I think the upside for Harvey's tragic death and cannibalistic ritual development of his flesh is that when you see that heart, I'm thinking maybe Hovey had some kind of heart disease undiagnosed.
Speaker 2: Maybe there was an enlarged talk going on. And this is a messy, yeah, at.
Speaker 1: That age to have an in large heart poof, and I think maybe, just maybe this was the better way for Hobby to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just freezing in an ice pond. Does all your friends watch, you know, and then gang eating?
Speaker 1: Yeah, drifting off to sleep, you know as you kind of sink to the bottom of the lake. It'd be better than dropping dead, like in the middle of eating doritos or something, because if you're undiagnosed and enlarged heart, his het was so big. It was huge, you know, like when they crack open your chest cavity when they're doing open heartsherty that takes like they need a sauce, bolt cutters and fucking saws and shit and like huge jacks and clamps and stuff. How did she do it?
Speaker 2: One is showing a supernatural Oh no, that's market moves, But like I want to know that also, So how did Seanna get so good at chopping up a body? Because I saw she's only done it to a couple of things in the woods, So what's going on there?
Speaker 1: I think she just has a passion for it. She has a real, real passion for dissecting human bodies.
Speaker 2: As we saw, she was very good at it. We saw the horrible images of Adam Martin's body. She's kept up with that talent. So the first kind of like WTF moment, Travis shows his subservience to the new regime and that his acceptance of the fact Havi's died after like being outside for a couple of hours crying. He just yams the heart, He just yams it all down. He just takes a big bite out of it. Am seems unhealthy. Are you gonna get sick? I don't think you can just eat a raw human heart.
Speaker 1: Well it was cooked right, it was.
Speaker 2: He ate a bite of it raw before they cooked it.
Speaker 1: Goddamn, that is just so savage. I couldn't believe that he was just holding his brother's heart like that.
Speaker 2: Like what he is, this associate and he's on a coach ben path. There's no way you can survive.
Speaker 1: If I'm gonna eat people like I have to. It's like, you know, the plane is crash, We're in the woods, and we gotta do it. Some people have died, maybe not my brother, but like, we got to do it. I'm starting with the bits that look like meat that you would get any other place. Give me some chunks, like some kind of filet of butt or thigh. I'm not starting with an organ, and I'm certainly not starting with a recognizable organ like the heart exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm saying as well, Shanna, she butchered those into like nicely steaks. Yeah, she phileied Harvey and made him look edible. So yeah, that was wild. They cooked him up, they ate him. One of the big reveals from the finale is like Lotti is not really happy about Harvey's death. She feels like Misty took her words out of context. She was saying, if I die because Shanna beat the shower of me, you guys can eat me. But She's like, Misty, I didn't tell you to go and kill a child. And Misty's like, shut the fuck up and go downstairs and eat that child. So Loi makes a choice that she is gonna anoint the next leader of the group, which, if you remember season one, we were all calling how the Antler Queen is that hooded figure that you see with the with the Antlers, And in a very shocking twist, she chooses Natalie.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you, Lottie, I don't know which way she's coming or going any given time. I thought she would love this. Here we are, we got it, We got it a life. Someone has died. The wilderness unambiguously chose Hovey after keeping him alive. You could argue, I think, and someone should have. Not only did the wilderness choose him, the wilderness kept him alive for all these weeks and months, specifically to choose him at this particular time, to die for us so.
Speaker 2: We could eat him.
Speaker 1: Why are you losing your nerve about this, Lottie?
Speaker 3: Jesus like I have been here for months convincing myself I have to eat a m and now I'm into it and the human smells delicious.
Speaker 2: You're like, I'm not into it, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: And now you changing your mind.
Speaker 2: I propose this Lottie did just get like severe head trauma from Shana. So maybe she's been like kicked out of whatever kind of delusional state she was in, and she's had a little bit of you know, a little bit of brain injury, trag brain injury. I've had them in my life. They can change how you feel. And maybe that like she was feeling a little bit guilty, she was feeling a little bit bad. You know, her face is looking very healed.
Speaker 1: She's also in some form of fashion neurodivergent and not taking her medicine. Yes, all of this time, plus the head injury, which I've been concussed as well, and it does make you certainly irritable and feel different. And so I'm guessing that that is part of it. I think that's a good call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm very interested in it. I feel like, whenever season three comes out, I hope we're gonna talk a little bit about this with Natalie too. But I hope we get to know a bit more about Lottie because the rest of the girls, I feel like there is a certain amount of inner personal connection or backstory that you get. But with Latti, we don't really know much outside of her struggles with her mental health. Her family sucks and they're rich, but we don't really know who she had a crush on, or whether she even feels that way about people, or what her kind of day to day life was like that made her a teenager. She's kind of more of this supernatural, kind of morally gray entity, and I would like to know more about her as a person.
Speaker 1: I feel the exact same way. I think that this is an issue for all of our cast I found myself thinking not to jump ahead, but after we lose Natalie in the present, I was like, man, we don't know anything about Natalie. We know that she's struggled with addiction issues and that she also had a really fucked up family life, and we know you know that she fucked in the cabin somewhere, but other than that, we don't know much. And I was really sad when we lose her, because I'm like, man, I feel like I was just getting to know her, I don't know enough about her.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: I think you could say all of them are that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has just sparked something in my head that I was thinking a lot about something. The first season did so well that I think made us feel like we were getting to know them. It had flashbacks allah Lost, right, not whole episodes like Lost, but like that's how we know about Natalie's dad and how he accidentally killed himself. We didn't really get any of that. We didn't get anything about the pre crash life apart from Coach Ben, and some of that was kind of it was unclear whether that was imagined or real memories. I think that a little bit more of the time could have been diverted to those aspects and learning more about the girls and their lives than you know, wondering about what happened to Adam. Mind, we know dramatic irony, baby, we know he's dead, So like, I would have liked to see that, because I think you're right, and I think that a lot of you and Natalie, for me, feel like the characters I would have liked to know more about the most out of the kind of hierarchy. But yeah, Natalie gets chosen to be the aunt La Queen. Now, I will say the wonderful Sophie Thatcher, who plays Natalie, who I think is so brilliant. She did confirm in a Hollywood Reporter article she is the aunt La Queen. Now, I do not believe that this is our final ant La Queen. Lottie anoints her and says you're the leader, and all the girls kind of go up and vow themselves to her with kind of bows, and it's quite sincere at the beginning, and then Aquila does a little kind of funny curtsy and it becomes a little bit more fun. But you can see Natalie as kind of getting drunk on being worshiped and being put on a pedestal for the first time in her life because she's always kind of been an outsider. So I'm very interested in this because I feel like Natalie was the most logical faction in the nineties Survivors, and I feel like killing her having to choose Harvey over herself was like very heartbreaking, and she felt like she actually cared about it. So I don't know how far she's gonna go into the life of the cannibal is.
Speaker 1: Here's the upside for me with this. I think from this we can kind of into it that there will be other Antler queens.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, I totally agree.
Speaker 1: Here's the good news. This kind of patchwork society that is created itself in the woods has figured out one of the most complex problems in governance, which is how do you pass power. They've figured it out. They've made the Antler queen some sort of title that can be passed from person to person with very little murdering. Yeah, one person gets murdered, a just one every time. Not that bad if you look at it societally.
Speaker 2: Not that bad for just one mud It to happen with the passing of power, if you look at history.
Speaker 1: Usually at least five mudas and then wars and all that stuff later. They've figured it out where you just you kill and eat one person and then you pass the title and that's it.
Speaker 2: If you guys, remember the original version of the sacrifice we saw lost episode was you know, Natalie Bolt, the Queen of Hawk's Cod and that was the card that they would choose to sacrifice someone. But obviously now Natalie has become the ant La Queen, so that takes on a different kind of meaning, especially when if you remember, Harvey pulled a King card. I believe it was a black King card. I can't remember exactly which one, but before Natalie dies in the present, that is the card she pulls. So I think that we can assume that from now the Queen of Hearts card is more going to be about the ant la queen and who is in charge of those decisions, and the King cards will be the ones where we see the people become sacrifices. Also, I do wonder if Natalie's route of being Aunt la Queen is going to be let's jerky, Harvey, Let's put some of that meat away. Let's just try and survive without doing any of that, and then when they run out of meat, she'll be overthrown or she'll pass the power to someone else.
Speaker 1: X Ray Vision will be back.
Speaker 2: It's Pride month and the Cricket Store has a whole collection of merched help you sell, celebrate and fight back against the total ghoules obsessed with what we wear and where we put it. The collection has everything from teas to bags, so you can stock up. I'm not going to tell you how to celebrate pride that's not my job, but I will say, if you don't ruin at least one article of clothing this month, you could be doing more. So grab an extra tea. What are you doing with it? I don't know. Maybe you spill some beans on it, maybe you sneeze, but whatever happens, you need a new T shirt and good news. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to crookeds incredibly named fuck Bands Fund, which supports organizations working to PREVCT vulnerable people on the ground in states that are banning care and targeting trans youth. Boo Tomato, tomato to those people support that shit. You get the thrill of supporting organizers combined with the thrill of buying something online impulse buying. It's a delightful feeling. So it's a win win. Head to Crooked dot com slash store to check out the whole Pride collection.
Speaker 1: And we're back. This whole sequence really made me feel pretty strongly about our theory that there is no supernatural shit going on right. This is just a kind of shared delusion brought on by starvation, by underlying mental illness with no medications, by being trapped in this trauma trauma by being trapped in this very extreme environment all together and being dosed regularly with hallucinogenic drugs. So I think that this is just like a kind of mass illusion that said, do they remember.
Speaker 2: This, this is the biggest thing.
Speaker 1: Do they remember that event?
Speaker 2: I think that they remember from what we see in the present, they remember that at times they sacrificed people to appease the wilderness. But we get a really interesting line that comes up in the present, which we'll get to in a minute, but where Lotti adult Lotti says, there's no it, It's just us, right, it was always just us. Or Shana says that, and then Lotti says, does it matter? What's the difference? And that is the same. So this episode argues I think that the wilderness and appeasing the wilderness was essentially a story that they told, right, so that they didn't feel guilty about eating people.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I love that you brought up the idea of this shared delusion because I think something they do really well. When they shoot Sophie Thatcher as she's sitting there and everyone's kind of bowing to her, there's this almost like religious fervor. Yeah, in her eyes that comes over her like it feels like they are lost in this struggle to survive.
Speaker 1: When Lottie said, what's the difference, I wanted to be like, Babe, there's a tremendous difference. It is such an incredibly vast difference. The distance from it's us too, it's something other than us is so huge because like, y'all are killing and eating people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're claiming that you're being forced to do it by a malevolent spirit, but I'm actually you. That's the difference between culpability and caplicity. That's thought the probably even though the statue of limitations is long gone.
Speaker 1: There's a huge difference.
Speaker 2: Loddie, Well, I'm glad we're gonna get to that in a minute as well, because I want to talk about that whole situation at cam Green Pine because these people need to go to therapy, every single one. But okay, so finally we're talking about that great shot where Sophie Thatcher is there and she's Natalie's like kind of taking in all this new passion and the love that her followers now have for realizing her power, and through the window Coach Ben sees her. Now Coach Ben had already, you know, said to Natalie, Hey, I found Harvey's secret magical tree where he survived. How about you come with me. We can be the cool kids who don't eat people and we can just survive there throughout the winter. And Nali was like, ah, sorry, I killed Howvey, so can't do that. But you go off and do it. So then, and this is getting to the end of the episode because this one skips between so much. We're going to do the past timeline first and then the present timeline.
Speaker 1: It's good that we're skipping because it's just like the show. We should, in fact, just continue to skip from timeline a timeline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so coach Ben in a shocking moment. We can assume it's him, I will say allegedly because we don't see him do it. But the girls wake up as the episode comes to a close in the nineties and the cabin is on fire. Yeah, like it is like doused with oil fire, Like this thing is burning in the snowy wilderness. And the implication we saw Ben previously with a box of matches and some firewoods, so we can assume he burned down the cabin.
Speaker 1: I'm putting it right on Ben yeah, I'm putting on him.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say alleged leg Yeah, but I'm putting on it was Ben. Sorry, guys, it was Ben. So we end the season in the past with them by basically being in the true wilderness. Like if they were doing wild shit to survive when they had a shelter and a cabin, imagine what they're going to get up to now they have to live outside in the snow. It's not looking good for anyone. Ben. That was really dumb move, terrible choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess this is another one of those where I'm just like, why do this? I guess because you're just sick of everything and here they are, they're about to eat another kid, and you've got a place to live now. But like, you know, you can stay in the stump. I guess, like for you know, like personally, you can stay in the stump.
Speaker 2: We've been saying, like we thought maybe it was like a you know, a lot in the ye oldie times, they would essentially make like store cupboards underground and like the roots of trees, and I wonder if he found something like that. So he's feeling pretty good about himself and his chances to survive. I will say, I do wonder I think this is a stupid idea because obviously they were all able to get out. He did not barricade the door well enough. And now they're going to eat you, absolutely no question you'll get any And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now they're gonna find you and they're gonna eat you.
Speaker 2: You told Natalie about the tree, so she's gonna know where to look for you. You have created a vengeful group of teenage girls who are gonna eat you. But I wonder if Ben's self justification for it is something along the lines of, like, they're all gonna kill each other anyway, So this is boo, like just kill them all and that they die in the night and they die a horrible, fiery death. But at least that's bad than them, you know, going around just like killing each other and eating each other for the next six months.
Speaker 1: I guess that was probably the thought. But then you got to barricade the door. My guy, you can't let them get out.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, like you shouldn't been nailing some hammer and nails over the windows. You can't let them get out. You just created something terrible for yourself.
Speaker 1: Just sneak off and stay in the tree. If there are indeed stores somewhere in that tree. We saw that Hove was surviving on lots of meat. There's bones of things in there. If there is an access in that stump to food, then just fucking stay there. They're not gonna find Maybe they'll find it, maybe they won't. But like, what a move.
Speaker 2: You didn't need to do that.
Speaker 1: Nobody is thinking straight out here in the wilderness. Nobody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, season two, no one's thinking straight Jason conception.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the poster in the past or in the future.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Well, let's speak about the present. So in the present. If you remember last episode, episode eight, Lottie had proposed something incredibly logical, which was, hey, let's drink from these cups and one of them spiked with fennabarbital, and if you drink that one, you're gonna die. But then the wilderness will let us be and our lives will be good. Now, first of all, I have a problem with this theory. I boy up last week. But the truth is that doesn't make any sense because Travis already died, so surely your life should be fine. Like, how many times do you have to do a sacrifice. Yeah, like you're talking about a lot that was like two months ago or something. How many sacrifices you need to do? Makes no sense.
Speaker 1: But again, I think this is this is a handful of mentally ill people, like arguing about a supernatural shit that doesn't make any sense. Like, folks, we've got bodies already on the ledger. We don't need to be throwing other bodies at it. Let's put Adam in there, Like, what about Adam? Throw another one of their looking killed by the hand of one of y'all, Thank you did and cut.
Speaker 2: Up, I will say Adam. He adds a little bit, you know, to the theory that this does work, though, because after they killed Adam.
Speaker 3: Jeff was selling sofas like hotcakes. Couldn't believe it go for Jeff only.
Speaker 2: It was gomah for Jeff only. So this is a classic. Like you said, I think this is a bunch of menal old people who are really struggling with their decisions. Yeah, because we end up in a situation here where Shawna decides the best way to distract Lotti from her plan to kill them all is to be like don't no, no, no. If we're gonna do it. We gotta just like sacrifice someone and kill them with a knife in the wood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we gotta do it for real, Yeah like we used to.
Speaker 2: We don't just want to be drinking this nice And I'm like, Babe, Shanna, why are you always doing this every time? Every single time? Also acgally, sorry, I just need to skip back because I did forget this one of the best moments of this finale that I love so much that is either absolutely irrelevant and just a hilarious character moment or incredibly important and we'll shape the next season. After Lotty chooses Natalie to be the Antler Queen, we get a clip of Shannah and she's writing in her diary and she's like, why wasn't it me? Why wasn't I chosen to be the leader? After everything I have done, I have been chopping up everyone, And I was like, Wow, sure not. You are petty and I love.
Speaker 1: You, dear diary. Do my friends hate me? Question mark. I know that we started off on the wrong foot with me fucking my friend's boyfriend, but she's dead now we hate her and we've kind of patched things up in the afterlife, Like I had a long running multi weak delusion where I was talking to her and then I aron, we're good now, but now all of a sudden, I chop up Hovey, and all of a sudden nobody wants to choose me for Allan Queen. What the fuck?
Speaker 2: What the fuck? That was like so good? So Sean is really channeling that energy here with this terrible choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that sets off a whole series of events and they're like, well, we'll do that to distract Lottie. But what do they do in the meantime, Nothing, pure chaos. Jeff shows up to Camp green Pine with CALLI terrible parenting, Jeff, don't do it. Shouldn't have done that. Love you, Jeff, love you deeply. I'm like the head of your fan club. But don't do it. Jeff and Kelly turn up. Jeff goes inside and finds Kevin Tan the cop, talking to Walter. Why is he there? This is what we call Walter x Mackina. I love Elijah Wood. I think they're very lucky they got him for this role. He sells it for me even when it gets outrageous. But Kevin and Walter they're just having a friendly chat, you know, Kevin is questioning Walter. Walter's pretending that he thinks that, you know the people from the Yellow Jackets Survival crash, they're really bad people. Why don't you have some delicious hot cocoa? Kevin tan while I tell you this story?
Speaker 1: Are you a detective?
Speaker 2: I love being a detective.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of a detective. I am part of the amateur detective community. You might have heard of us.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of us? Have you heard of us? And Jeff shows up and he's like, fuck, Kevin, you followed me here. I'm really dumb. I should have realized that was gonna happen, but I didn't because I'm like a sweet himbo who just loves my wife. I'm gonna false confess that I killed Adam Martin so that you leave my wife alone. It's very honorable. Kevin is clearly quite moved and upset because it's, well, you know what, I like Jeff. I like Jeff because he is crazy, just as crazy as Seana.
Speaker 1: Let me say this about Jeff, who has been going through it all season and is going through it in this episode in a wonderfully unhinged performance by Warren Cole, Who's like unbelievable. Jeff is on the edge of tears this entire episode, and it must have been so emotionally grueling to film this. And I'll say this about the honorableness of his decision here it is, I guess.
Speaker 2: But it's loyal. That's the word I should have used.
Speaker 1: It's loyal. Here's my counter. You're leaving Kelly with your insane wife.
Speaker 2: I know, like.
Speaker 1: You're the level headed one, like throw her under the bus.
Speaker 2: I know, I do wonder about that, But I'm also like, maybe he's like, I'll be safer in prison from my wife and my daughter.
Speaker 1: Yet my man's murdering, cannibalistic wife and her cool daughter who.
Speaker 2: Like is clearly getting more and more into that lifestyle as she gets older. Yeah, so it doesn't matter because guess what, Jeff, His confession is useless because that delicious cocoa with marshmallows and whipped cream that Kevin Tan was sipping on in the kitchen of Camp Green Pine, it was spiked with fenobarbital, and boom, Kevin Tan's dead, not knocked down.
Speaker 1: No, honestly, can you just get Fenna barberital? Like, where are people just getting Fenna barberital.
Speaker 2: So did he get it from where Lotti had it because Misty told him, might be he had it, or did he bring his own fena barbital because this is clearly not the first time this man's murdered someone.
Speaker 1: Oh, clearly not. And I just have my issue with this is this one. I would have loved to see Jeff and or Shauna get out of this situation on their own, not have a diis ex Walter, like show up and kill the guy. And secondarily Walter, which is our next bullet point, then goes to m Saracuza and is like, hey, so you're gonna go along with this, that it was actually Kevin that killed Adam for this and this and this reason. I've set it up. I put it the text messages I've got, I've got all the fake messages and stuff, bank details.
Speaker 2: Bank details everything. I'm a billionagg I can do it everyone.
Speaker 1: It looks fucking good. Yeah, this is I just do this for laughs, Like this is a hobby of mine. I'm into it, and you're gonna find that it's seamless and you're gonna go along with it, because if you don't go along with it, it's gonna look like you did it. And oh, by the way, also you were attempting to date like a high school junior and or senior as part of this, So it's like it's gonna look really really bad for you. Why would M. Sarahcusa go along with it? Like, wouldn't he be like, I guess I'm gonna have this murder hanging over my head for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: I think that the argument because we've talked about what shithead M. Saracusa, he really is a dumb man. Here's the fucking what.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the argument here is like Walter plays into his ego. One he does set M. Saracuzer up for the murtter of Kevin Town because he steals his gun and then just shoots Kevin three times. Yeah, And I think he plays into his ego and he's basically like, you can be the hero. You took him down, you found the evidence. That's right, You get that promotion that you guys had really wanted, and nobody finds out you were dating a teenager and actually you can go and you can go and date more teenagers and steal more information from them and manipulate them I don't care. I've had it go for it, I've had it go crazy, So I think that's the reasoning. But it is extremely outrageous. Yeah, I feel like it tips the show into a different space.
Speaker 1: It's almost slapstick in the way it goes down like it's Yeah, it's almost a comedic piece in the way he just like drops dead like a Looney Tunes character.
Speaker 2: Also, look, I don't want anyone out here reading anything into this that isn't about it yet. I'm not saying I wish Kevin tandlved. Look, he was not doing a good job. He was a bad cop. But out of the two of them, I would rather M. Sarakuza died. Like, if I was picking, I think M.
Speaker 1: Sarahcuzu is definitely the one with the kind of like the moral gray Ariara, here is my head cannon for Why if indeed M. Sarahcuz ends up keeping the secret, why he would? I think he was a little eager to be like, hey, why don't I just take the teenaged doughter of the suspect on a few days. He was very very eager to do that. And I do wonder if he does end up keeping the secret. If the reason isn't that, guess what Amsarracuza complete dirt big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no no. I think you actually, ironically with this headcanon, I think you actually tap into probably what the show really wants us to think, which is M. Saracuza has come up against a person in Walter who has all this information, who has all this power, who can set something like this up. How lightly would Walter have to scratch into M. Saracuse's history to find out all the terrible shit that he did. I mean, he didn't tell Kevin about that plan. He just went to a bar and hit on Calli. He wasn't undercover, he didn't have any kind of legal protections around him. I think you're right. I think he's just a total dirt bag. And it's also a self preservation thing as well as an ego thing. Speaking of Calli, Cally almost kills M. Sarahcusa. I would have absolutely loved to see it. She also would have helped Walter out.
Speaker 1: She was ready to commit a murder.
Speaker 2: She had that gun and she was like, boom, I'm just gonna shoot this fucking guy. But Walter drew him away with a hilarious mobile phone trick, Poor Jeff almost crying watching him doing this, setting up a killer X.
Speaker 1: Ray vision will be back and we're back.
Speaker 2: There's a lot going on at Camp green Pine this episode. We are seeing murders, set ups, all kinds of occurrences. Callie almost kills someone, Jeff's there. This is a real like you bring everyone in for the finale episode, but let us not forget that. There is also the question of the sacrifice, the wilderness sacrifice, which I'm now feeling like the whole reason Camp green Pine was there was so they can do the wilderness sacrifice again, you know, And now I need to ask you this question. Sure, I really love Yellow Jackets, and even though this finale was totally out there and kind of like a jump the shark s thing, I'm still committed. I still care about these characters. But I do need to know this because I've been thinking about this a lot. Yes, so they pull the cards. Natally pulls the Black King card. Yeah, Shana pulls the Queen of Hearts. Shawna's response is extremely Shorna. She's like, We're not really doing this now I'm the victim? Are we? Oh? You're so silly, like, how could we ever do this? Rare? But every single one of those girls, not just Lotti, they just those women, they just put the masks on and they're just gonna kill her.
Speaker 1: They're ready.
Speaker 2: Explain that to me. Is it like a trigger from the past. Have they been waiting for it? Shawna played the wrong card and didn't realize how like fragile they all were.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that they had just been so kind of primed to be back in that mind state that they were just flat out ready to do it. Yeah, and clearly very very eager to do it to get back in the hunt. This is why I feel like we're kind of putting the cart before the horse with the death and Natalie. You want to see those hunts. You want to see them doing this stuff that would lead them to then become these people where thirty years after the fact, just after some light suggestion.
Speaker 2: They can still click back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can just go right back into murder mode after you know, some random drawings of cards. Yeah, what do you think happened?
Speaker 2: I think you're right, that was the bit. I just went with the vibe hilarious, like slapstick out there horror logic of the whole thing. That was the first bit that kind of made me sort of go oh, I do believe that tie in her current state will still be we'd saying it all season. T I get some help. I check on your family. There's another issue you have with this is what's going on with your family? Babe?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Just give your son a call? Please? How is your wife? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 2: I would like to know how's the dog?
Speaker 1: Can I ask? When do you do state senator stuff? Do you worry when?
Speaker 2: Never?
Speaker 1: When? Like? What is going on at the New Jersey State House? And has government ground to a halt? Because you were literally never fucking there.
Speaker 2: Never one day since you were elected.
Speaker 1: The freshman senator who has just been elected to office, and you have been there a grand total of zero points, zero zero.
Speaker 2: Hours, zero percentile attendance. What is going on, Taista? Please get some help? Oh?
Speaker 1: Do work?
Speaker 2: So? Like I believe she could be into it, Natalie, I don't know, maybe because like Loti was into it. Again, I like your reading where I think it's more about like that in that setting, they've got the mosques, they're just primed to be there, and none of them are ever really that far away from breaking, and I believe Seanna actually her response. I think her response in the Woods in the past, in the nineties would have been exactly the same. Oh, we're not really doing this. This is really dumb. I can't believe you guys are thinking of doing that.
Speaker 1: Oh you guys, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think she would have done that. So I think in that way it plays. So Callie ends up interrupting, and it's really great. There's this really great, weird moment where Lottie says, is that your daughter? She's so powerful? What is that? Is she the next and the Queen? I don't know, but I liked it, Like Simone Kessel sold it. It felt very ominous and important. And then eventually Lisa shows up and Lisa is like, you can't kill Lotti. She's helping me. Natalie what's going on and kind of causes the commotion. Doesn't want to listen, wants to protect Lotti, and of course, the ever industrious Misty has another Fenno barbetal need or just ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me hold on, let me get in my backpack. I've got it ready to go.
Speaker 2: She's got it strapped to her arm. Who knows, Like She's like, this is the correct amount and she pulls it out. But as they've kind of been seeding throughout the season, Natalie and Lisa have become quite close, and Natalie sees Lisa as kind of a younger version of herself and someone that she can I guess imagine a future for m HM. And so Natalie sacrifices herself and Misty stabs Natalie with the needle. I don't know how much I believe that people would just believe that was a drug overdose randomly and the shoulder, you know, but they do works for everyone. And Misty kills her bff, which is very shocking.
Speaker 1: That was harrowing. And first of all, Natalie missed her calling as like a secret service agent because.
Speaker 2: She the timing.
Speaker 1: The timing was unbelievable. She got she saw what was happening and got in there. I don't necessarily know that, like Feno barbaratalling someone to death is the way to go in that situation, you know, but Misty has her own way of doing things. I was just like saddened. I need to I wanted to spend more time Natalie, though clearly we will be spending a lot of time with past Natalie young in the future times. But this is one of those things where we just closed a loop that people are just gonna like be like, Okay, she's dead, and what's this stab wound puncture wound in her shoulder? That's nothing, I know.
Speaker 2: They were like she it was a drug overdose, which I also thought was actually I'm sure this was intentional by the show, but that was like really gutting to me because like Natalie had just spent all this time getting clean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, besmirts her reputation one last time on the way out, just be like hey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then be like, oh, she was an addict. She just died of addiction, like anyone who know her, that's just what happened. Like that was really fucked up. I agree, And that kind of I think shows that there's not really any solidarity with these women at all. I don't love that because I kind of think one of the things that people enjoyed so much about the first season was the reality and I think you get that in the past of the kind of intricacies and violence, but also kindness of these like teen girl friendships. Yeah, and that's really fallen apart for all of them at this point. I mean. The present episode ends with you know, Misty goes to Walter for comfort and Walter tells her, hey, don't worry like I set her up. Your friends are chill, nothing wrong here. We're just cool.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I did that for you because that's just how it is. So those two are a little pair. You have Jeff and Seana finding out that they're going to be safe allegedly apparently, and then Lottie after tyan Van decide not to call the mental health professionals to help her before the sacrifice because they're like, we don't do that, you know, we just we do this. We look after ourselves. Which I'm like, I half appreciate it if you guys were in a better estate to look after her, but you're not. And then this happens. Letty just get sectioned. She's going back to the mental institute. They're taking her to the hospital, and the two girls are like, peace out. They don't even go with her. I was like, guys, come on, you put Lotty in this situation once again, can you please like go with her and support her. But Lotty has this say at the end, which I think will end up becoming likely a huge talking point and could either inform the next season or definitely inform the bonus episode, which we'll kind of talk about in a minute. Lotty says, like the wilderness is happy with us. She's like, you'll see that. I can feel it. And obviously we know Lotty is suffering from a severe psychotic break at this point, she hasn't been on her med, she's been having visions. But I think the way that this show plays with our expectations, even though I feel like the finale here really cements our theory about it being only trauma based. I think that by season three. Opening of season three, Tie's wife will wake up, Van's cancer will start going into remission even though it wasn't supposed to, and those questions will start popping up again of what do these sacrifices do.
Speaker 1: I want to jump back to one thing, which is I understand that the show wanted us to feel that Natalie was growing close to Lisa. We've had that, you know, that moment where we get to meet Lisa's family and see how eminently shitty they are on the trip backs or her hometown. That was enough to be like, I'm gonna take the needle for Lisa, Like I'm not saying kill Lisa knock.
Speaker 2: They need a lot of Missy's hands punch Misty and the family.
Speaker 1: I mean we had like one nice lunch and hung out like at your childhood home. I don't know if I'm like leaping in front of the syringe for you, Natalie, just why not say look out? What about that? Look out?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So that's good super Bridges saw did make a good point. He was saying, like it could be intrinsically connected to what she didn't do for Harvard.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's true. That's a good point.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like she didn't save him, she didn't save the innocent, she didn't make that choice. And also we know that when they found Natalie Campgreen Pine found Natalie, she was gonna commit suicide. So she already has those kind of tendencies. But I would have just loved to see a story where somebody who struggled with addiction, with mental health problems that didn't die. I was really rooting for Natalie basically to.
Speaker 1: Bring it to a more serious level. Right. I think where I've come with this show and this story is that again it is and I think we agree this is basically the story of several young women who had a shared massed illusion, and this was in large part inspired by the fact that one of them had an active mental health issue which she was running rampant and unmdicated, and this really because of this person's innate charismaticness, kind of led to a lot of their very murderous and cannibalistic decisions. And it just feels like, you know, there's a lot of people with mental illness who don't eat people, and if that is indeed where we're going, and I guess there's still a lot of leeway on either side of that issue. I hope that it's not just they were crazy and then they committed a lot of murders and eat people because there were nuts.
Speaker 2: I like that you brought that out, because I do trust this showy. I really have enjoyed this show. I feel like it's so interesting and weird, and even when it's doing the why all this things, like in this finale, you're still entertained and you're still thinking, like why would they do that? Like you're still having those conversations. But the loty stuff, I feel like it's tough because I don't want to prejudge it but I would like to see a more nuanced representation of a struggle with mental illness and a bit more of a holistic view of Lotty as a person, because, like you said, a lot of us struggle with mental illness. We don't eat people, but a lot of us don't crash into the woods.
Speaker 1: That's true, just saying, just saying, but.
Speaker 2: A lot of people. I think that you raise a very good point, and I hope the mental health issue isn't essentially like a mcguffin or like a do x Marketer. Also speaking of do x Marketer, before we get onto the final bonus episode story, what do you think is gonna happen with Misty and Walter? Are they going to go on like a road trip together?
Speaker 1: They are the same person. You could argue that they are too much the same person.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think we're seeing Yeah, but that.
Speaker 1: Relationship will continue if for any other reason, then Walter is not gonna let it go, Like this is not the end of this.
Speaker 2: He did this for her, did this for her.
Speaker 1: And he is going to remain in her life. He's not gonna let it go.
Speaker 2: That's a great point actually, and quite a good creepy read. I saw one of the theories that my friend James was talking about I thought was really good was Walter's end game is he is a cannibal and the ultimate thing if you are a cannibal is to eat another cannibal. Wow.
Speaker 1: I like that. That's good, right, I love that.
Speaker 2: I think that is like really cool. And it also plays in a sin city. You know, the Robert Rodriguez adaptation of the Frank Miller. He played a cannibaal, so I kind of like that, and it was this huge deal of like this cute young guy who played a hobbit was playing this cannibal killer. So I kind of like that echo and that potential idea that Walter has this kind of weirder ongoing endgame, which is that he just wants to eat Misty because she's also a cannibal.
Speaker 1: I really really like that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we should just say is. We don't really know what it's gonna be, how it's going to look, or when it's going to come out, But there was confirmation from the showrunners of Yellowjackets that we will be getting a bonus episode Wild that is essentially going to be kind of in between season two and season three. A lot of rumors and internet speculation had been going on that a bonus episode exists or did they were going to drop a bonus episode. We don't know when it's coming out. Doesn't look like it's too soon, but from what we're hearing as well, maybe not directly connected to the two stories we've seen, kind of like a law episode. Is there anything in your mind that if they did, like a bottle episode, that you would feel like could really bring season two together or make you even more excited for season three.
Speaker 1: I think more woods stuff, more context.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or the wilderness is the is the stuffy is.
Speaker 1: That's where the real that's the story engine is. Whatever happened there, it's affecting that their later lives and all the drama that we get, you know at Camp green Pine, at the you know, with the murder of Adam, with ties, ongoing struggle with hallucinations, all of that stuff stems from everything that happened in the woods. So I hope that whatever it is is forest centric, you know, more murders that they've committed there and another hunt, whatever the case may be. But I think it has to be there. We have to. Yeah, it feels strange to not know more about what happened there, because it just feels like it all informs this the other present day storyline, and it's hard to judge what these characters do without knowing what really went on there. We know there's a few murders and certainly multiple bodies eaten at this point, but what else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to know. I totally agree with you. I think the democracy, the kind of burgeoning democracy of the Antler Queen and kind of the lore of that. We also get an interesting moment where Natalie ends up on the plane again just before she passes over, and she sees Hobvey and she sees young Natalie, and I wonder if there's something there about this kind of almost how Lost would do a lot of these side jumps that were kind of people all meeting up again in Heaven spoiler alert for Lost. But I wonder if there's something about that limbo space of the plane, and maybe that's somewhere where they can explore different parts of people's lives in a way that has to feel less concrete in either timeline. But yeah, I'm very interested in it.
Speaker 1: We'll see, we will see.
Speaker 2: Who knows when he is going to come out up next nerd Out. In today's nerd Out, where you tell us what you love and why, or a theory that you're excited to share, Lee shares a mustache theory on mof Gideon. Now this is actually I think it's right. I'm just gonna say, I'm just putting out there first. Okay, we'll even get in. I think this is right.
Speaker 1: Lee first of all, presages his theory by saying that it's not entirely his theory. He's seen stuff to this effect online. But the gist of the theory is this quote. Maf Gideon's lack of a mustache this season from the Man learn was actually due to the fact that we were watching a clone the entire time. Instead of the mustache moph Gideon we see in seasons one and two, we actually see d mustache Gideon, who mirrors the clones in the tanks that Mando destroys. Thus, the real Moth is off somewhere kicking up his imperial boots and eating travel biscuits. Far more basic theory here is at least more basic theory. Quote one, the dude was fully covered in best guar armour, And who are we to say that he could not have survived that epic explosion. And two, there is no body. We never see a body. And I'll do it in the voice here, I'm asking Mike, where's the body, because if we don't see a body, man, I'm just saying, we all know it's no body. He might not be I probably in the debt. So Mike, what do you think nobody? I'll take my indself. Yeah, I will say I like this theory for the simple fact that, like not having a mustache, changing bits of costume, those aren't accidental things. Those are very purposeful decisions. And whether it's a clone or not, I don't know, but it's clear that they want us to think that maybe that's not the same guy.
Speaker 2: I think that you are right, and I think that Lee makes a great point in hand, not only by sharing this theory. I appreciate you crediting that someone else came up with that. That's very nice of you. And I think that the mustache theory holds up because look, if it had just been that the brilliant actor who plays Moff Gideon no longer had a mustache, right, they could have used a fake mustache, or as we saw in they claim movie Justice League. They could have seen ged a mustache on, they could have taken it off. You know, there's many different ways to add a mustache.
Speaker 1: Now, it could be the case that Joan Carlos Posito was only on set for three days and right after that he had to go do another thing where he had a clean shaven face or what have you. I'll say two things. One, it's not a tremendously bushy musset like it looks like max five days growth. Like, I think there's a he could have done it, you could do it.
Speaker 2: So I love this theory. I think Jason's right. All of these things are intentional. Even if this was a simple red herring, it's a very fun red herring. But I think the reason that Lee really sells me on this is not only is it a great theory, and you have the addition of, oh, you know, there's a clone that didn't have a mustache, so maybe those clones also you could have that fun kind of almost prestige kind of clone law where the clone doesn't know they're a clone. That's like a really interesting aspect because he talks a lot about all of his failed clones, thinking maybe he really is the real Moth. But Lee really sells me on this with the fact there's nobody we know the rules. If there's nobody, we don't know you're dead. Star Wars rules, horror rules, fantasy rules, every that's every franchise, that is the rule. If we never see the body, we don't know you're dead. So that I think this is so fun and I would love to see mustachioed Gideon come back.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with you. Think about you know what they did with Natalie and Yellowjackets. They showed us her open eye, dead stairface for five seconds to say she is deadded dad to see that they're alive. Period.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's me and I'm I'm still a Stew Lives guy. I saw that TV four long Stew's head and screen, but I never saw his body. Maybe maybe's face just fucked up. It can happen. Thanks Lee. If you have theories or passions you want to share, hit us up at x ray at cricket dot com. Instructions in the show.
Speaker 1: Notes, that's it for us. Rosie any plugs, Oh.
Speaker 2: I have cool things to plug so you can find me a Rosie marks on Instagram and letterbox. And if you are in the La area and not the South Bay. I know I usually promote things in the South Bay, but on June tenth, Saturday, June tenth, me and Nick Marino will be doing a signing at Tifa, which is the comic book shop on Universal City Walk. So if you're in the Valley and you want to come, stay hi to us. It's a really cool shop owned by Dark Horse Comics, and we'll be there signing a bunch of go Zilla stuff, So come and see us there. And if you're in SGV, like San Gabriel Valley area, Me, Nick, a couple of our friends, Mark Nate, We're doing a Spider Verse inspired art show at the really great comic shop, Nostalgic Comics. And I made a Hobie Brown fan art piece which I'll share on my socials, But if you want to see it in person, you can go there and you can support a really great shot.
Speaker 1: Catch the next episode on Friday, June ninth for a mailbag, plus an interview with Spider Man India Comics writer Nikesha Shukla, and a little rundown on Miguel O'Hara. Spider Man twenty ninety nine. The spoiler antagonist, the villain kind of from a Spider Man across the Spider.
Speaker 2: Verse, and in some sad news, Xtra Vision is taking a mini summer vacation. Not sad for us because we need a break, but maybe sad if you like listening to this show. There will be no episodes next week on both June fourteenth and June sixteenth, and we will be back on June twenty first. If you want to watch us until then, while you miss us, subscribe on YouTube. You can see full episodes of the show and check out the discord to hang out and meet cool people who listen to the show, who love all kinds of cool stuff, from superheros to Survivor and to sports and all kinds of rap things. And me and Jason are that too. Yay.
Speaker 1: Five star ratings, five star reviews. We need them, we gotta have them. You gotta get into us. Here's one from nc flaw truly the best listen. I love x ray Vision. I've wanted to get into comics for a long time, but it was never sure where to start. Jason and Rosie provide excellent recommendations in a way that is inclusive of comics newbies and experts alike. The banter between Jason Rosie is the best. I can't recommend this podcast up. Thank you, Thank you, See You. X Time by x ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Soul Rubin and executive produced by me Jason Concepcio and our editing at sound design is by Facillis Fotopoulos. Video production by Along Villanueva and Rachel Gaieski. Social media by Awa Oklati and Caroline Dunfe. Thank you to Brian Vasquez for our theme Say