Speaker 1: What's up, guys.
Speaker 2: Just a reminder coming up in a couple weeks, Tuesday, July twenty eighth, we have our next Mariners event. We're doing a trivia night back at the Emerald Queen Casino at EQC. It'll be at six pm again on Tuesday, July twenty eighth, So come with your ball knowledge. We're gonna be doing Mariners trivia. Then we're gonna be sticking around to watch Mariner's Dodgers with you guys. So Marquis series, what a perfect time to have an event. Come hang out with us, answer some baseball questions, win some great prizes courtesy of the EQC, and then come on out and watch Mariner's Dodgers with us as well. So it's gonna be an awesome event. The last one was a blast. We can't wait to see you guys at this one. That's Tuesday, July twenty eighth, six pm at the Emerald Queen Casino.
Speaker 1: Welcome to episode.
Speaker 3: Number four, twenty nine of the Marine Layer podcast. We'll give our thoughts on the twenty twenty six Mariners draft class.
Speaker 1: There is also a report from Bob.
Speaker 3: Nightingale about what the Mariners could potentially do with the trade deadline and we'll give our thoughts.
Speaker 2: Reminder to you guys, make sure you're downloading these podcast episodes. If you're listening, go rate and review five stars as well on Apple, Spotify, wherever you're listening. It helps a ton. If you're on YouTube, make sure to just go hit subscribe if you're watching. You can find us at our website marine layerpod dot com. Episodes are all there, patreons there, all of our podcast merches there. That's over at marine layerpod dot com. And then find us on social media. We're posting content everywhere every single day at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling.
Speaker 3: And we will come to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network, recording here on Sunday evening, July twelfth. It is a much calmer atmosphere for us around the drafts when the Mariners are not picking number three.
Speaker 1: Overall, I gotta.
Speaker 2: Say, well, some of that's fun, some of that isn't. You don't get to get as fired up about a pick like Kate Anderson, which they again essentially into last year in the draft, which was amazing.
Speaker 1: Just a comparison from this year to last year.
Speaker 3: Last year, we're like refreshing Twitter as fast as humanly possible to see who they would pick. And this year, I mean, I think we saw the pick like ten minutes after.
Speaker 1: It happened, right, which is fine.
Speaker 3: But that's more what we did this year is more so the natural progression of the MLB Draft.
Speaker 1: If I was at.
Speaker 2: Home, I'd probably watch on TV because I'd be interested to see who they're gonna pick. But when you're roaming around All Star Week in Philly like we are all week, there's a lot going on. There's not always as much time to just sit and watch every pick of the draft. So yeah, we were following online and we saw the Mariners take Ace Reese as we're walking around, which, by the way, if you want all our thoughts on All Star Week, we can do that for Friday's pod. We are recording this one a little bit early, just with all the chaos that happens with our schedule and in Philadelphia during All Star Week, like it does every year in terms of how hectic our schedule gets.
Speaker 1: But we will give you a.
Speaker 2: Full All Star Week recap on Friday's episode as we get you guys ready for the second half of the.
Speaker 3: Year because the Derby hasn't happened yet and the All Star Game hasn't happened yet as we're recording this. So even though you're hearing it after those have happened for us yet in the past, those have not happened yet.
Speaker 2: And again, there's just not much going on for the Mariners at this year's All Star week. Cal's not in the Derby. The Mariners have one guy here in Randy A Rosarina. There's just I don't think there's that much to recap.
Speaker 3: Right, But what we do have to recap, and what we could talk about is who the Mariners have picked so far, and as I have actually we have not mentioned this. Joe Doyle will be on next Wednesday's episode, So a week from today, as you're hearing this, love Joe Doyle on. He will have a much better, much more in depth breakdown of this Mariner's draft class. And I will just give our initial thoughts of the first couple of picks here on this podcast. So let's start with the first pick, Ace Rees. He plays in the SEC or played in the SEC. He's a third baseman for Mississippi State. The dude mashes I mean, he has hit every single year of college. He's spent his first year at Houston, he spent the next two at Mississippi State with ops's over eleven hundred. And he does something very few college hitters do. He hit over twenty home runs in back to back seasons. So it's pretty clear this dude can really, really, really mash.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure that's what intrigued the Mariners. I mean, now, there's probably a few different reasons this pick got made. It's very unlike the Mariners to make a pick like this.
Speaker 1: I mean, they.
Speaker 2: Haven't drafted a college infielder, or really an infielder with their first pick. They have not drafted a infielder college infielder with their first pick since even White twenty seventeen. They drafted Luke Stevenson in the first round. Technically last year it was in the supplemental first round with the Compicks, but they haven't drafted a college infielder with their first pick since even White. They've gone away from this strategy for a long time. They've taken a lot of college pitchers and a lot of high school hitters. And if you're looking at why they likely took Ace Reese. The reason why they like the player is, I'm sure the power, I'm sure the ability to leave the ballpark. I'm sure the ability to do damage hopefully one day in the middle of the lineup if everything goes right, and when you see twenty home run power in college.
Speaker 1: It's gonna jump out.
Speaker 2: You see eleven hundred oh pss in college, it's gonna jump out. And look, we'll get into some of the concerns, but those are the positives.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of damage from the left side. I think the way he fits in the Mariners farm system is kind of what they're lacking right now in the middle.
Speaker 1: Part of the Mariners farm.
Speaker 3: There's not this incredibly like high floor top ten Mariners prospect roaming in either High A or Double A right now. As a hitter, I mean, Luke Stevenson is still pretty I mean pretty raw. I mean, he's probably the closest to that. But if they could add a second version of Luke Stevenson in this Mariners farm system to be sort of step step first step with Luke up through the minor leagues as a couple of hitters to sort of supplement this Mariner's roster into the future, probably in twenty twenty eight is when we would see those guys, most likely from a bat perspective. But the Mariners just in Double A especially don't have a ton of bats, and ace Rees looks like a guy next year could be in Double A at some point because this guy's just hit. The only concern with him is that is contact, not making enough contact. It is kind of ironic how he kind of fits exactly what the Mariner's problem is right now at the big league level, or it's like two left handed not always making enough contact. But regardless, that's a conversation for when Aceries is actually at the big league level because he's got a lot of developing left to do. This guy is going to do some damage for the Mariners and I'm pretty excited for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have not drafted many true power bats early in the first round. You've seen him draft Kyle Lewis athlete, Evan White athlete, and he was supposed to be a wizard of a first baseman defensively. It's just unfortunately for both of those two guys, and Lewis and Evan White, injuries cut those career, cut their careers way short, and it is really unfortunate because they had a chance to be pretty unique players, both of them. But then since then Logan Gilbert twenty eighteen, George Kirby twenty nineteen, Emerson Hancock twenty twenty, Harry Ford twenty twenty one, Cole Young twenty twenty two, Colt Emerson twenty three, Jurangelo twenty four, Kate Anderson twenty five.
Speaker 1: There's not any true power bats in there.
Speaker 2: There's not that many bats period, but Cole Young, Colt, Emerson, Harry Ford, those aren't power bats. Those were supposed to be hitters that were well rounded baseball players, and Cole and Colt you're seeing some of that now in the big leagues. This is a true power threat that they're taking. They haven't used a lot of picks on a guy like that, so the ability to absolutely do damage is there.
Speaker 3: And they always have opted in the last ten years, they've aimed for upside with most of those picks, ironically, except Evan White, right, they've gone for guys who play up the middle, who are good athletes, who you could like ream on their potential as baseball players. Not to say a series can't have a high ceiling, but when the concerns about a player or that he's going to stick at a corner infield spot or move to a corner outfield spot that doesn't necessarily scream, Oh, this guy's going to be the next Colt Emerson at shortstop.
Speaker 2: Paired with the swing and miss that's already in his game, and what will probably be some questions about how he hits left handed pitching because he's a left handed bat with big power, which, again, when you compare it to a lot of the guys on the Mariners roster right now, there does feel like there's some similarities. Lefty with power who may struggle against lefties and has some swing and miss. I mean, I'm not saying that's the reason you do or don't make a pick. You're trying to take the best player available and hopefully he turns into an impact player for your ball club long term. But you do just happen to notice some of the similarities.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see how this turns out when he actual he gets into games and plays. We're hoping the Mariners selfishly, as as the pot as us the Marine Layer podcast, we are hoping that he gets sent to Everett and if he gets set to Everett. Then we're hoping we can get him on the podcast and you all can hear from him, and then he could tell you why he's going to actually be the most complete hitter in the minor leagues at this time next season.
Speaker 2: That'd be awesome. There's other Mariners' picks to talk about too. Before we do that, though, I.
Speaker 3: Would say, actually, one more thing, So why did they pick Ace Reese instead of drafting a pitcher?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I was going to get to that after this, but we can talk about it now. I would say it's probably how the board fell to them. I still think the Mariners wanted to draft a college arm.
Speaker 1: I don't know that for certain.
Speaker 2: This is just me speculating, but we had heard they like Cameron Fluky, and we also talked about how Cade Townsend felt like a pretty Mariner's type pitching prospect. Those guys went the exact two picks before the Mariners were set to select exactly the two picks before. Like the two guys we highlighted as very Mariners type profile arms. Fluky Townsend right handed college arms with projectability and upside. Decent stuff that has a little bit more to be developed. It's like, oh, this feels like a Mariner. They went the two picks before. So is there a chance the Mariners had to pivot? Yeah, there's a chance. Is there a chance that they weren't imagining they were going to take ace rees? Possible, but the board goes how the board goes mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And I feel like we'll get a better sense from that from Jodouah on Wednesday if I were guessed so great. And then the other two pictures we talked about, Tigan Kuhns went six picks later, he went to number thirty and then Cole Carlon slid almost into the forties. So those guys must have not been on the Mariner as high on the Mariner's board as someone like Ace Reese was, where they didn't. Perhaps the Mariners didn't see the upside in taking those arms as opposed to getting a power bat that can fill in in the middle of the Mariner's farm system and give them some they just don't really have in the miners quite as much.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting to watch Fluky in Townsend as their minor league careers progress, just to see how they fare his arms just and it's always different depending on the system.
Speaker 1: You go to.
Speaker 2: Some developments better than others, situations are different than others. But what's that Angels. Well, yeah, those guys didn't go to the Angels. Thankfully for them, Yeah, good for them. But yeah, I'll be interested see how those guys fare as they work through the miners and if they really live up to the hype.
Speaker 3: Didn't the Angels pick a high schooler this year?
Speaker 1: I think they did, which is I think it's the first time in forever.
Speaker 3: I saw our friends at Cesspatas Family barbecue looking at like the John Mozela quotes talking about it where he was like, yeah, we're not gonna see this guy from a while, and everyone's like, oh my god, this could not be any more different. It's like development development, like actually letting a guy grow into professional baseball.
Speaker 1: No, that's just not the way to go.
Speaker 2: I mean, Nolan Channewell up two months later, Yeah, Christian Moore up within a year, like Tyler Bremner on the Price see him soon. Well, actually, maybe not anymore with the new regime. But incredible. They are an incredible franchise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really are.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we're hoping a couple other prospects get to Effett this year too. In terms of the Mariners Draft Class, we'll talk about them before that. Let's pause for an ad.
Speaker 3: Starting a business is a big deal and it can be very intimidating. There's a ton of questions with not always a ton of answers. You'd be surprised how much simpler Shopify makes it packed with all the tools you need included from day one. Shopify's templates and AI tools get you a stunning site up and running fast with no coding needed. It also seamlessly integrates into an existing website, like it did with ours. Shopify checkout means more customers can actually buy, and returning ones can do so with a single click. We saw the effectiveness of this right away with the volume of merch sales as soon as we went live. If questions come up, Shopify's built in AI assistance Sidekick is ready to help you build, troubleshoot, and keep moving. Because Shopify handles the setup and check out, you have more time to focus on growing your business, which was my main concern when setting up our own merchandise. All you need is an idea, Shopify handles the rest. Start your free trial today at shopify dot com slash marine Layer again that shopify dot com slash marine Layer to start your free trial today shopify dot com slash marine Layer.
Speaker 2: Summer always changes how I get dressed. I want clothes that are lighter and more breathable, things that are easy, but also still put together. That's why I keep coming back to Quins. They focus on high quality essentials that look and feel amazing. Think breathable linen and soft organic cotton, well made basics, but without the luxury markup. It's that rare balance where everything feels elevated but still effortless. Quins European linen pants and shirts are the perfect warm weather upgrade to add to your rotation, starting at just thirty four dollars, Their teas are soft and easy to wear, and their lightweight cotton sweaters are perfect for cooler summer nights. Everything at Quints is priced fifty to eighty percent less than similar brands. They work directly with ethical facts and cut out the middleman. That way, you're paying for quality, not brand mark up. Quins goes way beyond clothing. Custom upholstered sofas, ceramic cookwear and premium betting are also additional options. It's the kind of brand that you end up recommending to everyone for everything. Personally, I'm a big fan of the men's T shirts. I like to wear a lot of T shirts during the summer, specifically well fitted T shirts that are also light for the warm weather. And that's what Quins offers you. They're will put together, they're stylish, and they're perfect for those summer months. Elevate your summer wardrobe. Go to quins dot com slash Marine Layer for free shipping on your order and three hundred sixty five day returns. Now available in Canada too. That's quints dot com slash Marine Layer for free shipping and three hundred sixty five day returns quints dot com slash Marine Layer. I would like to think Jake Brown has a chance to get to ever two, which selfishly would also be awesome and for Mariners fans would be awesome if you get to see him play, because that's who the Mariners took in the second round. Jake Brown is a left handed hitting out fielder out of LSU and I think what people really see jump out about him is the athleticism.
Speaker 3: This is from our friend Joe Doyle. His blurb on Jake Brown, crazy athlete, loads of untapped potential. If the Mariners can get his lower half figured out at the plate, could turn into a middle of the order threat, chance to play center field if the mobility ticks up. So this guy kind of it feels like he has sort of the hit or profile of what Ace Reese does with a touch more athleticism. He got hurt this year, which before the season there was some talk about him going in the first round, but he missed a good chunk of play this year, so he didn't get to showcase his full talents in the SEC this year. And the other concern was that he did a lot of his damage this year against mid major schools and not the actual like future pros he's facing in the SEC. Sounds like a second round pick. To me, that sounds like a clay that needs to be molded. That's what it sounds like.
Speaker 2: What did Joe talk about with our guy Nicki Becker last year? It's if everything goes well and everything goes right. This is a lot of the similar tools to what Gunner Henderson had in high school. Not every high school projectable bat ends up like Gunner Henderson. Some of them don't, but you're projecting that you could get a piece of that with your own guy, and you hope it turns into something. It's not exactly the same thing with Jake Brown because he's not the very young high school bat with a lot of raw tools like Becker, but it's a guy that you're currently that you're clearly going to have to do a little bit of projectability on because he missed time. There are some questions about how he'll hit left handed pitching as well. There are you know, there are questions, like Joe said, about where will he play defensively, Like will he be a true center fielder? Is he going to be more of a corner guy. There's a little bit up in the air with him. If it all goes right and it hits its one hundredth percentile, you could have something really awesome. If it doesn't and hits maybe more a fiftieth project project, oh my god, a fiftieth percentile outcome, then maybe he's a platoon bat who just helps in an outfield spot. Which, again, if that's what you got out of a second round pick, and he was a big leaguer, like a lot of second rounders, do a whole lot worse than that, so there's projectability there.
Speaker 3: I kind of feel like he's a mix between the Mariners aiming for a projectable high schooler and going for a safe college bat.
Speaker 1: That's what it kind of feels to me.
Speaker 3: Like first initial thought is that there's some unknown here that could be great, but also could leave him a little bit below where the Mariners think his floor is. I just will just have to see as he plays. But this feels a more high school pick for the Mariners who's not actually a high schooler.
Speaker 2: For me, again, I think the right word to use is they're trying to project a bit, which in the second round, of course, go for upside. Take a guy who's talented, who you know as upside, and hope your development gets the most out of him.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 3: Here's another thing from Joe. He called Jake Brown with the most hitters in the country. This is in April. Not outlandish raw power or bat speed, but his understanding for generating lyft and backspin is rivaled by very few. Already sixteen homers this season as of this tweet. That tells me he's got his pull power dialed in. It's not just raw power, spring it all over the field. That is, being able to get on time to a baseball and pull it for power to right field, which I think is really important. There's another guy the Mariners picked in the third round with the one hundred and first overall pick. His name is Nathan Taylor, and Joe Doyle calls him a prototypical starting pitcher clay heading to Seattle's he says, this guy's got big extension, He's got to cut fastball, the slider has real depth. Immediately Slots is one of the better starting pitching prospects in the organization.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a pretty bold statement. You're obviously trying to do some projecting on Taylor too, But you talk about Cage, you talk about Sloan. He's obviously not gonna be ahead of those guys. But does he rank ahead of the Mason Peters of the world. Does he rank ahead of some of the others? Could be interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean, as a college arm get this with seven feet of extension, Logan Gilbert Territoria saw that comp throughout there a little bit that certainly gives him the tools with some tinkering that the Mariners could do for him down in the minor leagues. He certainly seems like he has the stuff in the physical characteristics to trick hitters is the wrong word, but utilize his physical talents to get to get a bunch of outs.
Speaker 2: Sure, and I think that they'll develop. I mean, he does have a similar play to what other Mariners pitchers have. Like you mentioned, we were talking to a couple people about this, that he could be developed very similarly similarly to a lot of the Mariner's right handed arms that they've taken in the past, because there's a lot of similar things there in terms of the projectability that fit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that fit the Mariner's mold.
Speaker 2: So yeah, like Joe will give a much better in depth analysis on Taylor than we will. But again, when you get to these second third round picks, you're going for some projectability and you're going for some upside.
Speaker 1: And I think that's what the Mariners are trying to do here.
Speaker 2: I mean, Taylor's another college arm, He's from Cincinnati, and you are hoping that he continues to only see the best version of himself as he keeps developing, as he keeps progressing, And.
Speaker 3: It looks like Nathan Taylor was he threw a lot of sliders in college, and they want him to throw more fastballs.
Speaker 2: But again, that's a fastball slider combo from a right handed college starter with big extension.
Speaker 1: Kind of sounds like a Mariner.
Speaker 3: There's another theme with this Mariner's draft. They didn't really take many high scores. I think they took one high schooler total in their twenty picks.
Speaker 1: And he's not going to sign, He's going to college.
Speaker 3: No, they drafted, Yeah, they drafted like an LSU commit in the seventeenth eighteenth round.
Speaker 1: Again, kind of irregular. They usually have a mix.
Speaker 2: This isn't quite full Angels where they took twenty pitchers in the draft a couple of years ago and no hitters. But the Mariners don't usually just go straight college. Maybe they want to replenish some of that system in the middle. I feel like you don't usually draft like that. You don't usually draft with an intention just to fill high A, double A spots. But maybe they do feel like between the group that's in the big leagues now to the group knocking on the door of Caid Sloan Lads, Arroyo, some of the younger guys that they want to replenish the system with guys that are a little bit more polished. Maybe maybe, I mean, I can't put a definitive explanation on this. Again, probably a cool thing to ask Joe, but it feels like maybe they're trying to bridge some of that gap because you do have a crop of guys now that are very young players down in the miners. I mean, if you want to go way down in the system to the really high upside guys that are extremely young, the Nicki Becker, your hair Batista fel Nein, I mean, you can go all the way down to these two ridiculous international kids. They signed it for huge money back in January. I remember between Uton, Yeah, Uton and Dala Rosa. Dala Rossa is the one they kind of swipe from the Yankees when he decommitted and didn't end up signing with the Yankees, and they spent essentially seven and a half million bucks on two players, which was unprecedented.
Speaker 1: There is a real crop of young.
Speaker 2: Prospects that are gonna be coming through the system in the next couple of years. Between all those guys combined, maybe they do want some guys that are gonna get to the big leagues a little faster that are gonna fill up their system a little bit more, and you have Reese and Brown and Taylor and some of the others that are gonna filter through the system a little quicker, and it gives you those different waves that the mariners like.
Speaker 3: Hey even think about it this way, like after a Royo and laz among position players, there's a bit of a gap to the mariner's next crop of prospects there is, and.
Speaker 1: They want to fill that.
Speaker 2: Theer's like having the waves right. There was the Logan Kelniic cal Raley wave.
Speaker 1: Then there was the Julio Kirby.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of these guys were together, but Julio Kirby, et cetera.
Speaker 1: And then there was the Miller Wu kind of wave.
Speaker 2: And then there's Cole Young and Colt Like you know, you've seen them come up in waves. You're gonna see a wave here with Cade, Sloane, laz Arroyo eventually. But you're right aside from Felnan who's in high A and probably getting close to double A. It does go a long way to the next true wave of high octane, high upside guys. Again, it's your hair Batista, it's Nicki Becker, It's Uton, it's Dala Rosa. And those guys are so young that there is a little bit of a gap in the middle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's some good draft talk.
Speaker 3: We will have a full draft breakdown for you with Joe Doyle one week from now. We still have one subject left to talk about on this podcast. Before that, I want to tell you guys about Emerald Queen Casino summer lineup of shows this week. War visits e on July seventeenth, Brantley Gilbert on August twenty second, and Pete Davidson on August twenty eighth. Get your tickets today at Emerald Queen dot com. Emerald Queen Casino is the entertainment capital of the Northwest, and while you're there, you can check out the bet MGM Sportsbook.
Speaker 1: The home of our trivia.
Speaker 3: In a couple of weeks July twenty eight to six pm, we'll watch Mariners Dodgers. You'll get prizes and a whole bunch of fun things. Seventy dream seat loungers for premium viewing, dozens of eighty six inch TVs, legal wagering on both college and pro sports. You could download the bet eqc app for live wage during anywhere on the property. You can catch every sport in every play at Emerald Queen Casino. For more details, go to Emerald Queen dot com. Please game responsibly. Let us tell you guys about Cozy Earth. Cozyearth's mission is to make home the best part of your life. They send us their bamboo sheet set. They're Everywhere Pant and Everyday Polo for us to try, and we were really impressed. The bamboo sheet set lives up to the hype. It's Cozy Earth's mission to make the softest sheets in the world, and I think they've gotten pretty darn close. And I really like the pant and Polo as well. For what I look for in everyday clothes, I'm looking for something comfortable but a little stylish as well, and I think both of these check those boxes. Just so you know, Cozy Earth has a lifetime warranty on their clothes, a hassle free return process, and a one hundred nights sleep trial on their sheets. Summer should feel easy for everyone in the house. Cozy Earth's Bamboo sheet set, Everywhere Pant and every Day Polo are meant to keep you cool comfortable and actually relaxed all summer long. Head to cozyearth dot com and use our code Marine for an exclusive twenty percent off. That's code Marine m Aarne for an exclusive twenty percent off. And if you see a post purchase survey mentioned that you heard about Cozy Earth right here. We love Bob Night and Goo reports, don't we lyle gives you something to talk about, it doesn't always mean it's gonna come to fruition. So let's list out with Bob Night and go reported about the Mariners today. Bob reports the Mariners are willing to trade one of their prize starters for a back end reliever and right handed hitter, assumingly at the deadline this year, most likely Louise Castio.
Speaker 2: Well, of course it's most likely Louis Castillo. He's the most likely to be traded.
Speaker 3: And of course the Mariners would want a back end reliever in right handed hitter, and I would say, like, yeah, I also want a million dollars for Christmas. There's just things that need to happen for this to go, for this report to go through. It could be very true that somebody told Bob knightingil Hey I feel like the Mariners want to acquire a bullpen arm and a right handed hitter, and man, they got so many starters.
Speaker 1: I could see them trading Castio totally. I totally could believe that. There's just so.
Speaker 3: Many things that need to happen for that to work. Number One, the Mariners need to find a team with both a back end reliever and a right handed.
Speaker 1: Hitter that they can then trade Louis Castillo. Two mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I can only think of one team, and this team is almost tied with the Mariters in the standings right now.
Speaker 2: Boston Red Sox, because you would hope to get Wilson Contreras and Garrett Whitlock.
Speaker 3: Correct, but that seems like a tosso to the Red Sox. You're like, Wow, guys, you're playing really well. Do you want to trade us two of your best players and we'll give you back our worst pitcher.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with no.
Speaker 3: Well, to be fair, Craig Breslo has never done the conventional thing.
Speaker 2: No, No, he hasn't. No, this would be pretty unconventional to do this.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes it would, of course, there are other things that need to happen for this to go down.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know. The Maritors would need to eat some.
Speaker 3: Of Louis Castillo's salary, which they have shown zero indication that they're willing to do.
Speaker 2: They're notorious for never wanting to pay money to guys who aren't on the roster.
Speaker 1: Like pay dead money.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I think there's a chance that's why Luise has never been traded. I have a decent belief that part of the reason Luis Castillo has still been a Mariner is because the Mariners will not eat money for him in a trade like I think that's.
Speaker 3: Find a matching trade partner for money for monetary purposes like they did with Robbie Ray.
Speaker 2: Right where because they can't find a team to take Luise's money, it would involve them eating a decent chunk of Luise's money. And I only know how the Mariner's owners are with stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Not always great. No, may not want to eat the money, whether we like it or not.
Speaker 3: But then again, like both Garrett Whitlock and Wilson Contreras are making some money, well that money even out how much is Garrett making.
Speaker 2: Again, Well, he's a free agent, and we know he's been a really good reliever. But let's see, I know you're pulling it up right now.
Speaker 3: Garrett Whitlock this year is making seven and a half million dollars.
Speaker 2: No, he's got the two club ops. I keep forgetting that. Whitlock's got those two club options. Yeah, so he's gonna be near impossible to trade for. That's two and a half years of control.
Speaker 3: I mean, so you'd have to give up Luis Castillo and then major prospects, yeah, or at least good prospects to get a Garrett Witlock, which I mean the Mariners have never really been willing to shell out real capital for relievers.
Speaker 2: No, is there any chance they would be floating George Kirby around? Because that's how I feel like you could get something like this done.
Speaker 3: And there would be less of a concern for money. I mean, here's the problem you run into at the deadline. Could you get the maximum bidding process for George Kirby at the trade deadline? Do you are you gonna get enough teams to put their full weight forward on trading for George?
Speaker 1: I think it would take more time.
Speaker 2: That's why I feel like it's an off season thing, except there may not be much of an off season.
Speaker 3: Also for what we talked about with Monday's podcast. We talked about fixing things going into this second half. Even if you don't think George Kirby's as good of a pitcher as you want them to be and you think you can do better, does trading George Kirby make the Mariners better for the remainder of this season?
Speaker 1: I mean, do you get Wilson Kntreus and Garrett wit Lock back? Uh? You could? How does that do in the clubhouse? I mean they might not love it?
Speaker 2: You do also, it definitely wouldn't love it, sure, but you're okay. But here's the difference. Do they not love it because they think they're making the team worse or do they not like it because they're losing a friend? I understood her. Ok Uh, oh, they don't like losing a friend.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, But this is different than Kendall Grayman getting traded for your favorite Mariner of all time, Abe Toro. This is different because you traded your closer for somebody that was totally unproven when that clubhouse believed they had a chance to win, especially after coming back from eight to down against the Astros. To have the best win of the year back in twenty one. I understand why that clubhouse was pissed. Are you gonna seriously cause a riff in the clubhouse because you're getting an All Star level right handed bat and a All Star Team USA reliever.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, that would be a hard sell to me.
Speaker 2: If you've got a pissed off clubhouse that's legitimately like up in flames over getting two All Stars.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't make sense to get pissed off over that. You're right, but I still think they would be whether or not.
Speaker 2: It's logical or how about this, You could be disappointed to lose your friend, but also acknowledge that you have a surplus of pitching and you're getting pieces in areas of need that will not be Reynolds.
Speaker 1: Both those guys will be their long term.
Speaker 3: I will say there will not if they Even if they do that, there will not be a Mariners player that goes on the record to Ryan Divish and says Jerry Depoto is playing fantasy baseball up in his suite.
Speaker 1: No, there will be none of that.
Speaker 3: I don't think it would quite yet that far.
Speaker 2: By the way, we're like three weeks away from four weeks away from seeing if Kyle Seger shows up for Mariner's fiftieth celebration.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're four weeks away from finding out. There's no way. Oh no, he like, he ain't got.
Speaker 3: I'm putting in it zero point zero zero zero one chance he shows.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't think he's going. I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not thinking that's very high on the priority list for Kyle Seager.
Speaker 1: As long as you know Jerry to Potos in charge.
Speaker 3: There's another thing Bob floated in there in that article. Would you trade uh, George Kirby for James Wood or c. J Abrams for James Wood?
Speaker 2: Dude, George, I will literally like carry your bags like a pack mule to the airport, literally like not drive you to the airport.
Speaker 1: I will.
Speaker 2: I will put your suitcases on my back and crawl to the airport for James Wood.
Speaker 3: Will walk the four h five all the way down to SeaTac.
Speaker 1: Just for you. Would I mean would you? Yeah? Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Now the Nationals aren't gonna do that because if they were to actually trade James Wood, like Nightingale reported, well what he reported is this offseason they put they apparently made both James Wood and CJ. Abrams available on the market. Now, nothing happened. But if you're the Nationals and you're trying to make that trade, you're trying to totally replenish except this first version of the rebuild did not work, and get an absolute king's ransom back from You're not taking two and a half years of George Kirby for James Wood, who legit has four and a half year as a team control. If you're trading for j If you're trading for James Wood, you're giving up a king's ransom of a prospect package.
Speaker 3: You're giving up Ryan Sloan or Kate Anderson or both. If that's what it took. I mean the Mariners wouldn't trade both. It would cost at least one of them.
Speaker 1: I mean, it would be one of those two guys.
Speaker 2: They probably, I mean they might ask for those one of those two guys and cult yeah.
Speaker 1: They might have for one of the Mariners young infielders.
Speaker 2: So one of the Mariners young infielders, one of the Mariners two pitching prospects.
Speaker 3: You get picking a laz or in Arroyo, and it might go farther than that.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're getting into.
Speaker 2: A point where I mean maybe maybe felmin or Luke Stevenson has to get thrown in there too, So it's a huge trade. James Wood's also one of the best hitters in Major League Baseball who's like twenty five years old with four and a half years.
Speaker 3: Of control, doesn't have platoon splits.
Speaker 1: Oh no, James Wood crush his lefties.
Speaker 2: He is better against righty's, but he's got a nine hundred ops against lefties, So that.
Speaker 3: If you were hoping the Mariners would trade George Kirby for James Wood, yeah, that's probably not gonna happen. I do think that's interesting for the Nationals. So they did make Wood, Abrams, and Gore all available, but they only got a package they liked for Gore.
Speaker 2: They probably wanted a little bit more for Abrams because he has had years where he's been a four or five win shortstop. But again, the idea of putting Wood out on the mark it is if we are absolutely jaw on the floor blown away by a package, then okay. Otherwise, James Wood got four and a half years a control man, and also again lightingal Bob Nightingale doesn't always get these things right, So that's his report.
Speaker 1: We don't know, we don't know how much truth there is to it.
Speaker 3: So I wouldn't hold out hope that the Mariners are training for James with this deadline. That'll be fun, a cool story. I don't see that happening. Now we do see happening. The Mariners will make some sort of transaction. We are going to try and keep all of our options open. I think we're due for another trade deadline preview episode of other options available when we are both back Comfy and Seattle. Maybe that'll be next Friday's episode, So a week from this upcoming Friday.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean, and that'll be like a week from the deadline. So yeah, why not? That would be good.
Speaker 3: Well, at that point last year Low they'd already traded for Josh Naylor. No, a week away from the deadline of four.
Speaker 2: Days, it was like four or five days, Like they jumped the market early with Naylor and then they got Geno late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: So well, and I'll conclude our trip here in Philadelphia and we will have more.
Speaker 1: Great trade deadline content for you as we come up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll have a good episode on Friday. We'll recap some All Star week. We're probably gonna preview the second half. If any other news comes into play, we'll talk about that. There's any storylines in the next few days, we can hash that out like there will be news on Friday, and there'll be a good podcast on Friday, so stay tuned for that. It will be our final episode from Philadelphia. From the hotel Room, which a lot of you seem to like back when we were in Denver. We're doing it again here in Philly.
Speaker 1: So where's my bed?
Speaker 2: That bed's mine and it's made. Oh your bed is not made again. And and conveniently we're the people. Conveniently you put us at a camera angle that couldn't see your hotel bed that is again unmade.
Speaker 1: Interesting shame, how sad?
Speaker 2: All Right, that just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer podcast.
Speaker 1: You guys know the drill.
Speaker 2: If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods. Make sure to download these episodes. If you're listening, go rate and review. Please leave it five stars on Apple, Spotify, all the audio platforms. If you're on YouTube, just take a second and hit subscribe. That way, you're following along all the time. You know when we're posting content, you're supporting the channel, So go hit subscribe on YouTube. Find us on our website marine layerpod dot com. Episodes are all there, patreons there, podcast merch is there. That's marine layerpod dot com. And then check us out on social media. We're everywhere. We're on all social platforms and we're posting content every day at Marine layer Pod.
Speaker 1: That's TJ. I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Time.
Speaker 2: Pattis