Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, we begin with the latest on the government shutdown. It is now having an impact in the air. This week, the Transportation Department said it would cut ten percent of flight capacity across forty major airports to ease the strain on the travel system. As of this morning, about seven hundred flights are already canceled at the four biggest airlines, United American, Delta, and Southwest. Republican Senator Mike rown says it doesn't have to be this way.
Speaker 4: This is serious. It's one more step in the wrong direction for us. The American people expect us to have the aircraft run on time, they expect the trains to run on time. They expect us to actually have government operating.
Speaker 3: Republican Senator Mike Rounds appeared on Bloomberg's Balance of Power. You can get the full conversation on the Bloomberg podcast as channel on YouTube. The top democrat on the House Transportation Committee, Rick Larson, is calling on the FA to share its risk assessment to ensure the flight cuts aren't politically motivated.
Speaker 2: Well, another major story that we're following Nathan involves Elon Musk. Tesla's shareholders have approved as one trillion dollar compensation package, and again more from Bloomberg Transportation reporter Danny Lee.
Speaker 5: This ultimately means that shareholders have given Elon Musk and Tesla their full backing for Musk to do whatever he needs to do to drive the company forward. And of course we are seeing this transition of Tesla from just an EV maker to one that Musk wants to take it into robotics, to artificial intelligence and driverless a driverless future. So there's a lot of stake here, and of course for Musk, he doesn't automatically get this trillion dollars. He has a series of very lofty goals and hurdles he needs to pass financially in terms of evaluation of and also operationally in delivering, for example, twenty million vehicles and selling a million robots and driverless cars in order to hit some of these extremely stretched goals.
Speaker 2: And Bloomberg Transportation reporter Danny Lee says this is the largest payout ever awarded to a corporate leader, and shares of Tesla up about one percent this morning, and.
Speaker 3: We're also watching shares of Nvidia this morning care and they're up to tenths percent after yesterday's three point seven percent sell off. This morning, in Vidia CEO Jensen Wang says his company has no plans to ship its Blackwell AI chips to China. Huang is in Taiwan this morning. He says it's up to China when they would like in Vidia products to go back to serve their market. Meanwhile, The Information is reporting that the White House has told others in the federal government it will not allow in Nvidia to sell its latest scaled down AI chips to China either.
Speaker 2: Well, Nathan exports from China unexpectedly dropped in October for the first time in eight months. They contracted by one point one percent in October for a year earlier. Global demand failed to offset a slump, and shipments to the US begin. More from Bloomberg News Chief Asia correspondent Rosalind Madison.
Speaker 6: Well, there's likely to be quite a lot of volatility still going forward. I mean, we've had quite a bit of front loading that went on which really propelled experts from China through most of this year. Even though we do have a truce in trade. We've got big questions about whether Donald Trump's tariff stay at all. So for a lot of companies and countries, still a fair bit of uncertainty, including for China, about what the next six months are going to look like.
Speaker 2: And Bloomberg's and Ros Madison says shipments to all nations except the US rose three point one percent. That was not enough to compensate for the more than twenty five percent decline to America.
Speaker 3: Well Kry, the makers of blockbuster weight loss drugs, have secured a big deal at the White House. Eli Lilly and Nova Nordisk have agreed to slash the prices on their popular zep Bound and Wagovi shots in exchange for terror relief and wider access to medicare as. They're live here on Bloomberg Radio. President Trump made the announcement in the Oval Office.
Speaker 7: For years, politicians have talked about making healthcare affordable, but my administration is actually doing it. Americans deserve the best healthcare in the world, and we're now getting the best healthcare at the.
Speaker 3: Lowest price and under the deal with President Trump. The prices of with GOVI and zep bound under Medicare will be two hundred and forty five dollars a month the drugs currently listed more than one thousand. In return, Lillian Novo get a three year grace period from upcoming tariffs on pharmaceutical companies that don't manufacture in the US. We spoke with Novia Nordisk's CEO, Mike Doustarr.
Speaker 8: We are more.
Speaker 9: American than many companies that were born in USA. And the reason I say that is that long before many American companies started to think of developing and producing their raw ingredient in US, we were there doing that.
Speaker 3: Novin Nordisks Mike Dustar, the Danish drugmaker, has pledged billions in US investment in putting a four point one billion dollar factory expansion that began last year in North Carolina.
Speaker 2: Well, we turned to the markets now, Nathan, where futures are higher. After another selloff on Wall Street, the S and P five hundred has dropped more than one percent twice this week as some of big taxs AI spending as spook some investors. David Bianco, as chief investment officer at DWS Group, the.
Speaker 10: Valuations are very demanding, yet we understand why and we're taking a constructive view on tech and communications and all that, but our preferences are our financials, healthcare and electric utilities because power is still a really important part of the AI story.
Speaker 2: DWS Group's David Bianco the S and P five hundred is at fourteen percent so far this year, while the Nasdaq is higher by nineteen percent.
Speaker 3: In Europe, care and shares of the owner of British Airways are flying lower. IAG says it's all important North Atlantic route experienced some weakness in the third quarter and that weighed on earnings that missed estimates. The results have led the stock to drop the most since April. This morning, IAG is down almost seven percent.
Speaker 2: Nathan Comcast, owner of the European pay television service skyes and talks to buy ITV's Media on Entertainment unit in a deal that would dramatically shake up the UK broadcasting landscape. The business to be acquired runs ITV's commercial free to air TV channel operations in the UK, as well as the ITVX streaming platform. If a deal goes ahead, it would leave ITV with its Studios division, which produces shows such as Britain's Got Talent and Love Island.
Speaker 3: Well Karen, Apple's streaming service suffered an outage on the premiere of its new series Pluribus. Users across the US and Canada reported the service crashing from around ten thirty Eastern last night, not long after the first two episodes of the new drama were made available to stream. Apple says the matter was resolved within about an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: Well, Nathan, what is the best city in the world for the global elite? The answer there would be Dubai. According to research by real estate Brooker Sevill's, which ranked thirty global cities by their appeal to high net worth individuals, Dubai was ranked as the most accommodating location for the world's rich due to its tax advantages and strong family infrastructure. New York, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Abu Dhabi round out the top five. Time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Monica Ricks. Monica, Good morning, Good morning, Karen.
Speaker 11: A federal judge has ordered the Trump administration to find the money to fully fund snap benefits for November. The Trump administration has agreed to pay partial benefits this month when judges ruled that it had to use emergency funds, but it's now appealing that ruling to pay one hundred percent. The Supreme Court has temporarily revived the Trump administration policy requiring new passports to reflect a person's sex on their birth certificate. Bloomberg's Amy Morris has more from Washington.
Speaker 8: A divided Supreme Court dealt a fresh blow to transgender rights, temporarily requiring new passports to reflect the sex and the holder's birth certificate. The court's majority wrote that displaying passport holders sex at birth does not offend equal protection principles, just as Katanji Brown Jackson dissented, writing that the decision would force transgender Americans to make a difficult choice between using the wrong gender on their passports and risking harassment or avoiding activities that require a passport. The Supreme Court decision will apply while litigation continues in this case in Washington. Amy Morris Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 11: South Korea's military confirms North Korea has fired a short range ballistic missile off its east coast. That launch follows new US impost sanctions on some of North Korea's bankers, which Pyongyang has condemned as proof of Washington's hostility. In Louisville, Kentucky, a vigil was held last night to remember the thirteen people killed in a UPS cargo plane crash this week. Louisville Mayor Mike Greenberg call the scene horrific.
Speaker 12: We saw the firefighters walking towards bodies that were still on the ground with the stretchers.
Speaker 8: It was too painful for me to watch. That was the moment that I had to turn away.
Speaker 11: Investigators still don't know what caused that crash, and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxson has now asked the federal judge for a restraining order against Tayland Hall to stop advertising that. In consultation with the doctor tailand All's safe for pregnant women and young children to use. The Trump administration has claimed it can cause autism and other disorders. The drug makers denied it. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now, I'm Monica Rix and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: Thanks Monica. Time now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in John stash Hour.
Speaker 12: Thanks down a defensive battle, but again week Ken in the NFL, ain't Denver. The Broncos didn't get a first down for the first twenty four minutes. They didn't get a touchdown till late second quarter. They added a field goal late third, and they beat the Raiders ten to seven, and Denver at eight and two as the best record in the NFL, Broncos have won seven straight. They're five and zero at home. Forty one year old Craig Stammen named the new manager of the San Diego Padres, is a former Padres relief pitcher. The Dodgers picked up the ten million dollar option for Max Munsey. That's your Bloomberg Sports update.
Speaker 2: Stay with us more from Bloomberg day Break coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business opp This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 8: Good morning. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: He's already the world's richest man, and if he plays his cards right, he could be the world's first trillionaire. Tesla shareholders have overwhelmingly approved a twelve figure pay package for the electric vehicles CEO Elon Musk, But for our convested CEO, Kathy Wood, it's not just about the evs.
Speaker 7: We think robotaxis.
Speaker 2: He had them at the starting gate as of June and now they're rolling out and that AI project is well underway.
Speaker 3: That was our co invest CEO and Tesla investor Kathy what ahead of the vote at Tesla's annual meeting and joining us for more as Bloomberg News Global Autos editor Craig Trudell. And Craig really is in a lot of ways about the autonomous robotics vision more than the electric vehicles. So do we have to start thinking about this company is more than just an EV maker?
Speaker 8: Good morning, Yeah, good morning.
Speaker 13: I think that at least is the narrative Musk wants out there, and this has been a trend for some time where he's been talking more and more about his humanoid robots as opposed to his cars. You know, I think that the cynic would say that that would probably be explained by the fact that the car business has been slowing down Bertie dramatically for the company for some time now. But you know, in addition to talking up the prospects for robots last night. He also talked about expanding production of Tesla's vehicles next year, including with the cyber Cab, and interestingly, just last week we spoke with the chair of the board, Robin Denholm, about the notion that while the cyber Cab was designed without pedals or a steering wheel, you know that the company has maybe some flexibility and some willingness to in the event that regulators say, you know what, we're just not ready for you to put fully autonomous vehicles on the road. Yet she told us that they would be willing to put you know, steering wheel and pedals in those cars in order to be able to sell them.
Speaker 3: So Craig walk us through some of these benchmarks that Elon Musk has to achieve in order to get to that trillion dollar level. What's it going to take and how high is the bar? Yeah, the bar is very high to hit, you know, to get the full payout. You know, the the market cap of the company today is around one and a half trillion dollars. He would need to take it to eight and a half trillion to get the full you know slug of shares that this pay package includes. But in addition, to that, he needs to achieve a series of performance milestones that are more operational. So you know, some are on the sort of easier side in terms of, you know, twenty million vehicles on the road. That sounds like a lot, but it's cumulative, and this is a pay package that he's eligible to receive over the next decade. The other sort of you know, operational targets include adjusted EBIT dial the way up to four hundred billion, and this is a company that you know is on course for give or take about thirteen billion and adjusted EBIT doll this year. So we're talking many multiples of what the company is earning here and now got about a minute left. Craig Elon Musk has won past compensation fights. The company says more than seventy five percent of votes cast went his way. Should we be surprised by that margin?
Speaker 13: I wasn't surprised. I think, you know, there were some major institutional shareholders who have balked at these pay packages in the past, but the retail shareholder base, for tests is extremely, extremely loyal to Musk, and I think an important little bit of context here too is that Musk and his brother Kimball's shares counted toward that seventy five percent. And so you know, when you consider the fairly substantial stake that Musk already has, you know, the sort of bar for him to clear fifty percent, you know, was not necessarily all that high.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 3: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android auto interfaces.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 3: And I'm Nathan Hager. Join us again tomorrow morning. For all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Day Ray