Speaker 1: You're tuned into Heat Check with Trystal Quick.
Speaker 2: On this episode of the Heat Check, the NBA Draft lottery has come and gone, and we finally know where Wemby is.
Speaker 1: Going to land and where everyone for now is going to pick.
Speaker 2: That will obviously change. The Conference finals are under way, folks. In surprise, surprise, Joe Mizula still hasn't been calling time outs.
Speaker 1: He doesn't really know when to use him, how to.
Speaker 2: Use him, or if to use him. La, you're seem happy with the three point loss to Denver, And yes, we get into even more on the Jamarant incident and some more on news from.
Speaker 1: Around the league.
Speaker 2: Nick, let's get right into it and drop that generic ass beat that should be Rihana.
Speaker 1: So we talked about this before.
Speaker 2: I did some things on social media about it, but it's worth mentioning again. Is Joe Missoula, apparently the head coach of the Bubble and Celtics, loves the movie The Town so much that he watches The Town four times a week, that's every other day, actually more than every other day.
Speaker 1: Just to get into the mood.
Speaker 2: And in the inspiration of getting in that Boston mindset, he has used one of the movie's catchphrases, apparently to motivate the team this season this postseason. It's who's car we gonna take? Who's time out we're gonna call? But this is not about quirks. It's kind of about his quirks, which is a basketball coaching quirk, which is like not coaching. Yeah, we're talking about timeouts, or better put, Joe Miszula's inexplicable decisions about not taking them. Last night, the Celtics lost home court advantage and they dominated three out of the four quarters of that game to the Miami Heat. They got cooked so bad in the third third quarter that they couldn't come back from it. They were the better team pretty much the entire game. They were up eleven at halftime, The Heat were a ten and a half point underdog. Coming into the third quarter. The Heat were getting you better than four to one. OF's just to take them to win the game. And you know what, the Miami Heat scored forty six points that third quarter. And during that time, when the Heat erased an eleven point deficit and actually, I don't know, took the lead, Joe Mazula didn't call a single timeout, not one, not one when the heat pulled within six seems like a good time to take a time out, bam Adebayo and one no timeout, a heat three to pull within one position?
Speaker 1: Uh No, not a timeout.
Speaker 2: Not even at the tie ball game, would get Joe Mizula to say, I must stop the bleeding.
Speaker 1: We must have a conversation, get your asses back in the game. Nothing.
Speaker 2: The entire third quarter, Miami ripped apart, his defense outscored the Celtics by twenty And what did Joe Mizzula do Not a goddamn dame nothing. He sat on his hands, leaving the players to flounder and wonder and try to figure it out.
Speaker 1: On their own.
Speaker 2: What do we even have a coach for if you're gonna make them figure it out? Like, huh, what's happening?
Speaker 1: That's what? What are these timeouts even for?
Speaker 2: Marcus Smart said this in the following of the game, Joe's real big on not bailing us out when we play like shit, We've got to look at ourselves in the mirror. Joe can call a timeout and then what we do the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's on us.
Speaker 2: Joan is coaching staff putting a lot of work to come up with a game plan.
Speaker 1: Does Like, I'm confused. Does that do.
Speaker 2: We just not like need someone in the game to kind of like recalibrate the troops, Like is that not what we're doing anymore or what? Like I don't I don't quite get that. Like Marcus Smart when he calls a time out and then what he tells you, Hey, go over there, Hey, when this person does.
Speaker 1: This, you go over there. Hey, Like this man is.
Speaker 2: Open, he's pointing out things that he can see from the bench because he's not playing and you are.
Speaker 1: He can make adjustments, he can make.
Speaker 2: Substitutions, so many options at his disposal other than doing nothing.
Speaker 1: I'm so upset with him. Joe.
Speaker 2: It's actually kind of adorable, you know, because you know it when it's happening. You know, before it even happens, it's going to happen. You're like, all right, they're up by eleven, it's halftime.
Speaker 1: How are they gonna fuck this one up?
Speaker 2: It's like wow, So they ask him, They asked Joe Missoula the presser. The media is like, hey, they'd asked it in a very funny way too, Like how do you feel about the concept of like taking timeouts and.
Speaker 3: Going up against spolshow, who's constantly making adjustments on the fly, willing to kind of call timeouts and change things up so quickly.
Speaker 2: How did you.
Speaker 1: Balance like trying to let things play out in the ways you usually do, versus like having to seize control. I called to in the first quarter, thinking more like the third quarter.
Speaker 2: I don't call too in the first quarter, save it for the third quarter.
Speaker 3: Run.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? I have a question.
Speaker 2: Does he not know that he gets more like that, his little bag of timeouts replenishes throughout the game.
Speaker 1: Does Joe Mazzula know how this part.
Speaker 2: Of the game works, because when he asks, let's just really quickly, let's just go back to it just because I'm lost, don't call too in the first quarter.
Speaker 3: Save it for the third quarter.
Speaker 2: Run. I don't call two in the first quarter to save it for the third quarter.
Speaker 1: Right, No, you had other ones like you called.
Speaker 2: Two in the first quarter, and there are more to be used in the third quarter. Joe Mizzoula, what are you talking about? I've listened to this clip twenty plus times today. I swear to God or swear to whatever, and I don't know what's happening. I'm not sure if he knows that he has extra timeouts. I don't know if he thinks that he has four of them for the whole game and he used them all. I don't know if he understands that, like you can actually call timeouts every quarter, Like you can call him in every situation, as long as you have them, you can call him. And I know that everyone is killing him for it, and you know what, writers, NBA, TV people, especially fans. As for the game, the twitter account Bucks film Room described it best friend of Shoho Bucks film Room.
Speaker 1: A Twitter account fucking hates me.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The stages of losing to the Heat in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Denial, they can't keep playing like this, disbelief, how do they keep playing like this? Anger, There's no fucking way the Heat should be playing like this, bargaining God.
Speaker 1: They must have made a deal with the devil or something. And then depression. Damn we lost to the Heat. We're going home. That pretty much sums it up, folks.
Speaker 2: The Heat got thirty from Jimmy. They shot really well again from three. I don't know how they're doing that because they were one of the worst in the league at three point percentage in the regular season. Now all of a sudden, gave Vincent Steph Curry. Now, all of a sudden, Caleb Martin.
Speaker 1: Is Andrew Wiggins in his prime.
Speaker 2: Now, all of a sudden, These Heat are like a full team of the Splash Bros.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, seven players hit two or more threes in the game.
Speaker 1: Let me say that again.
Speaker 2: Seven Heat players hit two or more threes in the game. Boston looked really great in the first quarter first half. Marcus Smart had ten assists in the first half. Celtics ended up with six players with eleven points or more and the team shot fifty two percent from the field. The Boston Celtics shot fifty two percent from the field, and you know what, they are still lost at home.
Speaker 1: So confusing.
Speaker 2: I think Boston fans are perplexed as well. This is not Philadelphia. No, you can't count on Doc Rivers going Spider Man mean with you and also doing nothing.
Speaker 1: When bad things happen.
Speaker 2: Eric Spolstra, as is well documented, will call a time out two minutes into the game if he thinks that shit is gone awry.
Speaker 1: Hey, he will throw something at Jimmy Butler.
Speaker 2: He will threaten one of his players to beat his ass in the middle of the game, like Eric Spostra. Say a lot of things about Eric Sposter all you want, but him not doing what he's supposed to do on the floor with the x's and o's and the adjustments, that is not one of them. When Boston went on a baby run to start the fourth quarter, what you think he happened?
Speaker 1: What happened? Would you think he did? If you had to guess?
Speaker 2: If I gave you options, what do you think he did? If I put it on a multiple choice sheet and I said a nothing. B yelled at his players from across the room, see.
Speaker 1: Call the time out. What would you say he did?
Speaker 2: Ninety four seconds in to the quarter, Eric Spolster calls a timeout. Boom, run stops. Is Joe Mizula taking notes, young padawan? This is how you coach a fucking playoff game. What a fascinating series. Boston's going home, right, They're gonna go home. I don't get to go to the finals. I get to watch the ship from Washington, DC with four TVs and my co host like, that's where we're at.
Speaker 1: That's what's gonna happen, right, that's yep. I think that is Laker fans.
Speaker 2: I've never seen a group of people feeling so confident in a loss.
Speaker 1: I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: I have never seen an entire group on Twitter say after a team at home wins that game that that team that just won the game is cooked.
Speaker 1: I've never seen that before. But that's where we're at.
Speaker 2: Nuggets are up one zero, but apparently the Lakers have figured some shit out. Apparently this this like the Kobe stopper.
Speaker 1: You know, remember when Ruben.
Speaker 2: Patterson was the Kobe stopper back in the day. Like, apparently the Lakers have a Joker stopper and they just he's just been waiting in the wings, just sitting on the bench, waiting to showcase his superhuman talents of stopping Jokic. Stopping not just Yokic, but the entire Denver Nuggets offense comes to a screeching halt when Rui Hachi Mura is on Jokic. Apparently that's where we're at, because for the let's check the notes, it was ten trips down the floor ruey Hachi Mura pretty large, like very large sample size. According to NBA Twitter, ten trips down the floor where Rui was on Jokic and the Nuggets only scored six points. Apparently they figured something out. Now, La fans, you know how they are gold Stars participation trophies going to the beach surfboards. That is what they're doing with the game one loss, which is weird because Michael Malone noted in his postgame presser that Denver ended up winning the game when Jokic put up just a measily stat sheet of thirty four points, twenty one rebounds, and fourteen assists with two blocks. He missed five shots. They figured him out. It's over. It's over for the Denver Nuggets. At one point, the Nuggets had a twenty point lead. So, like I said, they feel that the Ruy Hachimura adjustment is what changed the dynamic of the game.
Speaker 1: The game got tight.
Speaker 2: They were free safetying Anthony Davis not letting anybody go into the paint made it look crowded. Anthony Davis was a block monster. But let's be honest, can we just be Let's put the jokes aside for a second. Ruey Hachimura went away from the Washington Wizards for an indefinite period of time because he wasn't full kissed. There were things happening inside of him and inside of his life and inside of his brain where basketball.
Speaker 1: Was not front of mine.
Speaker 2: Ryachimur is not the most locked in human being for a full forty eight minutes, Riachimura, you're not gonna be able to put him on Jokich for the entire game for the next presumably four what'd you say you went win four games? The next four that the Lakers win. We'll just say, I'm very optimistically You're not gonna be able to put ruyachimurro on Yogish that entire time.
Speaker 1: He will be in Trebu trabu. He put ruly in pick and roll.
Speaker 2: See what happens right at the beginning of the game. Rui's might start tonight. We'll see what happens. Jamal Murray, Jokic, pick and roll, barbecue chicken on a hibachi gro like, what's going to happen. Yokich will pick him apart. It's really just a matter to me of whether Denver.
Speaker 1: Can play defense for the full game.
Speaker 2: When they play defense, they get stops, they create turnovers, they go out into transition. They look very fast, they look very athletic. When they don't do that, they look very slow because the Lakers are defensive. I mean it's very simple defense set very hard to score defense, not set very easy to score. I know this sounds like very simple game, but in a lot of ways it is. There's no way that the Lakers should feel that Game one was a victory at all. In fact, you might feel that it was a demoralizing loss because you could have stolen one. You had the opportunity, you were down three in the fourth quarter. But don't take my word for it. Take it from coach Malone. See what he had to say.
Speaker 3: Is this kind of discussion being based set Like even though the Lakers lost, you know, they're walking out of here last night like they think they've got something. I'll bet you every red penny I have that Darvin ham would rather be up one zero than down one zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what does that even mean? Like what are we even talking about? Michael Malone is having none of this. You guys figured some things out. You guys have won something like we'll see how the Lakers respawn tonight.
Speaker 1: Who knows.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe the Lakers are one game too. Maybe Ruy is the Joki Stopper, two time MVP getting stopped by our man Ruey hatchimur.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move forward. It was fun while it lasted.
Speaker 2: The hope, the dreams, the imagination, all the like the season tickets I was gonna buy. Uh, I was moving. I was gonna move to Portland. Cover Wemba Yama full time.
Speaker 1: What is it? Ten ten eighty the fan, It's an Odyssey station. They'd have me.
Speaker 2: I'm sure cook maybe get transferred cover wemby'all. I was ready to party like it was two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: All over again.
Speaker 2: Brandon Roy was the good luck mascot the last time he was the good luck mascot.
Speaker 1: We got the number one overall pick.
Speaker 2: When I think we had like a four percent chance of getting it, we had a ten and a half percent chance. As Blazers and things look good. We rolled into the top four.
Speaker 1: My heart was fluttering.
Speaker 2: Houston got the number four spot, and I said, this is fucking it. Yes, Detroit, Houston four. We've moved up at least two spots, why not one? Why not move up another one?
Speaker 1: Why not move up?
Speaker 2: And then we got the three spot and I knew it was over. My soul immediately left my body and looked at me from above, and I realized Portland's.
Speaker 1: Trading this pick. That's what's happening.
Speaker 2: This pick is not even an Don't even look at Athletic, don't look at the scouting reports of any of these young kids.
Speaker 1: They do not concern you.
Speaker 2: You are married to Damian Lillard, and what Damian Lillard wants is outside of Victor Wamiyama. You do not get any more young kids. They do not exist in your mind. In fact, start looking at your own roster. Say what kids can go. There's more kids on the current roster, they can go. I thought it was funny though, when Victor wamba Yama saw first and foremost, he saw Houston get the four spot, and they cut to him immediately. Apparently Victor wam Mayama also did not want to go to Houston. Shocking, shocking. I know that he would not want to go to a team with a bunch of chuckers on it, a bunch of lottery picks, and when they won like what twenty two games or whatever it was, and a new head coach that's got all kinds of misconduct allegations in a city full of temptations, and he's by the way, French.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that was a great fit.
Speaker 2: So Jabari Smith quote tweeted it and with the little emoji of taking notes. Okay, Jabari, you go ahead take those notes, baby boy. Here, what you need to do is take notes and give them to your teammates so they can get you the fucking ball when you're open underneath the rim.
Speaker 1: So poor Charlotte.
Speaker 2: They end up with the second overall pick, and now they've got to worry about what they're gonna do, because are they gonna take Scoot Henderson, who would probably not pair great with their other point guard of the future, LaMelo Ball. Are they going to take Brandon Miller, who, by the way, Brandon Miller, according to Zaklo, today looks horrible. He's out of shape, like I thought it was, like, oh like Brandon Miller not in good shape, meaning like mentally like yeah, no, shit, he's been going through a lot.
Speaker 1: No like he's physically.
Speaker 2: Not been working out, like, just not in shape, been drinking SODA's and eating bond bonds and Cheetos and chilling on his couch well playing call of duty. According to Zach Lowe, also, Brandon Miller not been doing great in the interview process either, which does not shock me, uh, considering all the things that have gone down recently.
Speaker 1: So that's bad.
Speaker 2: What Charlotte is going to do is a big off season story. We know Victor will be a Spur. Pop is probably gonna be continuing to coach until he gets his Joe Paterno on, like straight from the court to the grave type stuff for him. I know that's morbid, but literally like they're gonna have to drag him up out of there. And now we've got to figure out the biggest story for the next generation of the NBA. The hype is that big for Victor. Been talking about him for it feels like two years now. His hype is so big that you have Chris Brussard saying if he's if he turns into Hakeem, he's a bust.
Speaker 1: That's where we're at. That's how big guy. That's an insane statement.
Speaker 2: Uh, Hakeem fucking Elijah One, NBA Champion twice, twelve time All NBA, twelve time All Star, that guy, if he turns into that guy, he will be a bust.
Speaker 1: Get out of here.
Speaker 2: So let's just credit the Spurs for being the luckiest organization like in the NBA, they were so lucky they would have won it, like four times.
Speaker 1: They win the lottery multiple times. Fred Katz was.
Speaker 2: In the lottery draw room and tweeted that the Spurs didn't just win the number one overall pick, their number got drawn twice more. It was written, the script had been determined. It was always the Spurs. It was never anyone else. In fact, that the Blazers somehow would have gotten quote unquote lucky. They wouldn't have gotten lucky. Victor Waumiyama wouldn't have gotten lucky. US NBA fans wouldn't got lucky because Victor Wambiama would have been some version some combination between Sam Buie and Greg Godin, probably multiple micro fractures in his shins, probably never seen after forty three games, and Scoot Henderson would be the next Michael Jordan. That would be what would happen, Of course, if Blazer's got the number one overall pick. So Spurs last time they had the number one overall pick in both years they won fifty six games the next year. That's the best record in the lottery era for a team with the number one pick. They're gonna be a lot better, probably not winning fifty six games, but man, this could not have worked out better for the NBA, for the Spurs. For yeah, I mean, like listen, San Antonio and France go together like Joe Mizula and never calling timeouts Like that's just it's just written. Like you got Boris diaw, You've got Tony Parker, Like the entire country of France was rooting for Victor to go to San Antonio. This is what he said, Victor, there's a special relationship between France and the Spurs because of Tony Parker and Boris dial. I know half the country maybe, if not the whole country wanted the Spurs to have the number one overall pick. And before you say, well, Trista, there's a Patrick Ewing situation. Sometimes it just happens for a reason. Like I said, if it wasn't Portland, I wanted him to be in San Antonio. Another big man, transcendent big man going to the Spurs, playing underneath Pop and probably playing the most boring brand of basketball you've ever seen. So the lottery is over, the draft order is set. Here's what it looks like. Spurs number one, they get Victor two Charlotte Hornets, three Portland Trailblazers, four Houston Rockets, five Detroit Pistons, six Orlando Magic, seven Indiana Pacers, eight Washington Wizards, nine Utah Jazz, ten Dallas Mavericks, eleven Orlando Magic, twelve OKC thunder thirteen Toronto Raptors, and fourteen New Orleans Pelicans. So, after all those shenanigans of Dallas losing games on purpose, like I recommended, they do get their tenth pick. They do get to keep their own pick, and now they have the only trade asset that they could possibly think of. Otherwise the Knicks would have gotten their pick. And we saw how much chalk it was. The lottery basically lined up almost exactly with the odds, So if they would have gotten eleven, the Knicks would have gotten their pick.
Speaker 1: Now the Knicks have no first round pick.
Speaker 2: Other than Victor Am y'am at number one, which, by the way, the books have him met minus twenty thousand to go number one, which is like the craziest odds I've ever seen. That means one hundred dollars bet would get you fifty cents, which like still is free money, I mean still free whatever you can put up on that like I could probably still I could be talked into it. For nearly two years, everyone was talking about how vic if it wasn't around, it's scoot scoot this, scoot that, scoot here, scoot there. And now very smart people are saying that it is not Scoots number two overall pick for sure, that Charlotte could take Brandon Miller. They could take Amen Thompson. They could take him at three, They could take him at two, which means Scoot could fall all the way.
Speaker 1: Down to four.
Speaker 2: And if scoots at four, maybe there's chaos because you know who's got fours? Those chuckers over there in Houston, they don't need another guard, So what happens do they move it?
Speaker 1: So much chaos?
Speaker 2: There are rumblings that Charlotte might even take Amen Thompson, who is mocked between three and six. They might be willing to trade down their pick. Mitch Kupcheck seems to love Brandon Miller, but like I said, Brandon Miller apparently has a dad bod. Now, so there are rumors that Houston may want to trade up. Rumors that the MAVs and the Blazers want to trade their picks.
Speaker 1: Altogether. So what are we gonna get? Who knows. We look at the bottom half of the draft.
Speaker 2: Atlanta, Utah, La, Miami, Golden State, Houston.
Speaker 1: Again, Brooklyn, Brooklyn, Portland.
Speaker 2: From New York, Sacramento, Memphis, Indiana, Charlotte, Utah, Indiana, and the Clippers. There's just a lot of intriguing options here. Brooklyn has a pair of first rounders here, they could bundle those, they could move up. Houston could package four and twenty to get to three, which then means Portland probably package four and twenty for somebody like Ognanobi, or maybe even two if they fall in love with one of the top candidates. So yeah, I think what's interesting is that how many trades are being floated out there and what that means about this draft. We see last year not many trades at all. Why, Because the traft was seen is very good. Don't want to trade your pick if you have one. Everyone interested in their pick. Apparently this is supposedly a very deep draft, So why has everybody wanted to trade back? Maybe this draft class isn't as good as we thought it was, Like, maybe it is just like two three, maybe top tier talents.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just one. Maybe it's just Vic Maybe.
Speaker 2: Like Osar Thompson is a top tier talent, but we don't know because he's not being ranked there. So a lot of people think that there's not much left outside of Victor Wambaiama. Brandon Miller has character issues in addition to the holes in his game that.
Speaker 1: I see, Scoot can't shoot threes.
Speaker 2: The closest comp that I can see to Aman Thompson could be John Morant, that's six seven, But he also could be Cam Reddish, who's been bounced around like a ping pong ball. So Cam Whitmore has a horrible assist rate, which means he's used to being a number one option, and a lot of these teams that could draft him have already up are elite scorers on the team, So what does that mean for him? Taylor Hendrix, Oustar Thompson, Jarris Walker, Anthony Black, Derek Lively. Are any of those guys all pro players?
Speaker 1: I'm asking? Are they? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: So I think you're gonna see a ton of movement on draft nights, and that means what we're likely to see is lots and lots of chaos. This draft is gonna be incredible, incredible for betters. We'll definitely have some friends of the shows to break this down because this year the draft is make or break for a number of teams like Portland, and I am excited to see how it all shakes out. All right, So we've got a Ja Morant update. Will multiple updates, but we'll keep it to the pertinent updates. First, Adam Silver responded to Jaw getting caught once again waving a gun around on IG Live a quote unquote brandishing a weapon. What a word brandishing? I kind of love it, right, Like, what do I brandish a diet coke as sometimes a coke?
Speaker 1: Zero?
Speaker 2: Ourman, Adam and Amsterdam had this to say, I at least was left with the sense that he was taking this incredibly seriously. Honestly, I was shocked what I saw this weekend. Yeah, I was shocked as well. How long Jaw will get for the suspension is not known, but it is gotta be I think a minimum of twenty games.
Speaker 1: Jaw fought the law and the law. One. Jaw fought the law and the law. One. That's the song, right, that's uh.
Speaker 2: He's put in the in the sights of the League Disciplinary Office. And that's what the song says. The penalties are coming fast and furious. The latest penalty is from Nike.
Speaker 1: Row Row.
Speaker 2: Numerous reports are saying that the Nike and Finish line have removed Jaws Hunger Jaw one sneakers.
Speaker 1: What a name.
Speaker 2: This is especially concerning if you are in jail camp or group because they were supposed to drop on May twenty fifth, which is in seven days. The new colorways were listed as recently as Tuesday. But now if you look for the Jaw Hunger one Sneakers four h four error, this page does not exist. That is not good. Why does this matter, Well, because the last time that Nike deleted the shoe line on their app was Kyrie Irving and he was never to return again. He has been taping up his shoes with masking tape, writing little messages on them ever since it is a cool world out there. Nike does not play when it comes to the brand of their athletes and the brand of their shoes.
Speaker 1: That is not what they are playing around with. A tiny, tiny.
Speaker 2: Percentage of NBA players get a signature shoe from Nike, and now Jaw might have just fucked it all up for the rest of his career.
Speaker 1: That's all the time that we have for the Heat Check.
Speaker 2: We'll be back to Tuesday with an all new episode as we are into the conference finals. Check out the feed for past episodes and many episodes which are going to drop almost every day, and follow the Heat Check as the NBA is and the playoffs are in full swing. Do not forget to download, subscribe, Tell your friends, every single one of them, and.
Speaker 1: Follow us at this heat check.
Speaker 2: Follow us on Trister Creek and on TikTok, Twitter, Instagram, hopefully Instagram as well, and.
Speaker 1: We will see you on Tuesday. Thanks for listening