Speaker 1: This segment is presented by Royal Retros. We'll talk more about that in a moment. Josh Reddick joining us right now in a sweet cold forty five UNI.
Speaker 2: Actually, Josh, good to see you man. How you been.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, boys, How are we doing? Good to be on? Good to see everybody.
Speaker 2: Life is good, Life is good. Uh.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about the jersey in a moment. Let's talk about the current team. So are they back in the mix? I mean partially means the Al it's not great, But how are the astros? You watch most of the games? What are you seeing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Gosh, the AL stinks, doesn't it?
Speaker 5: You mean you mean right now they're the Houston yord On Alvarez is if they're without this guy. This this man is on a cosmic level right now at the play, just doing everything right.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter if Jacob.
Speaker 5: De Gram's up there or Nolan Ryan's up there. I don't think you throw him a strikern now. It's probably gonna leave the yard.
Speaker 3: But the thing that I talked about with it with the boys this morning on our show was you gotta I kind of look at the pitching.
Speaker 5: The pitching is kind of stabilized a little bit at least kept them in games.
Speaker 3: Has it won them any ballgames?
Speaker 5: No, but it's kept them in ball games here lately to where they have a shot to where their lineup can keep them in ballgames because despite all these injuries, Christian Walker's having a great bounce back year, which I felt like he was going to have last year.
Speaker 3: Just got comfortable jord On being.
Speaker 6: Who he is.
Speaker 3: They need guys like cam Smith to turn it around because he's the guy they're gonna have to lean on for a long time.
Speaker 5: A'll tuve being hurt est sac praise could play a little bit better. Obviously, losing Korea hurt. But you know they're putting this team on ord On Alvarez's back and he's doing everything he can to keep them relevant.
Speaker 3: And yeah, though, good.
Speaker 5: Thing about that is everybody in the AOS is below five hundred, so it's really anybody's game in that division, in that league for that matter, because they're only I think three and a half out on the wild cards.
Speaker 3: So are they out of it? No? Is there a hope, there's a little bit of sliver. Have they turned it around?
Speaker 5: No, but there's a little bit of positive reinforcement. Thinking for this fan base right now.
Speaker 6: I mean, can the offense carry him?
Speaker 7: Because this was a team forever you know Erland or fromber Hunter Brown pitching, pitching back into the bullpen with Hater and Abrau and for Brian Presley for years when they were winning these world series. Can this offense continue to carry them for long enough to get back some of their pitching, because for me, it's a two man show, like you said, and I just don't know that at some point teams are gonna stop pitching the yord on Alvarez and can the other guys figure it out? And I yes, Cam Smith, Jeremy Painia, Where are these guys? They need more for me?
Speaker 3: Got to learn more.
Speaker 5: He's got to understand, like this game is hard and he's young, so we all know how that is the boys. You gotta get young, you got to grind through it. But they get these guys on reinforcement in the next month, they can obviously take away run away.
Speaker 3: But anytime you have Hunter Brown.
Speaker 5: On the mound every fifth day, you're feeling pretty sexy about yourself and winning that ball game. Getting guys like Hayter back, getting Brian Abrady back to where he is because they've got some established roles right now. Brian King's been fantastic for him, say it to coming up making his debut, that guy is absolutely electric.
Speaker 3: He could solidify himself in a bullpen roll.
Speaker 5: But right now, that lineup, even when they're doing good as a whole lineup, it's mostly one through five and then that six through nine is kind of a coin flip. Hopefully we get some guys on to help turn that over, so if they can figure out getting the more complete lineup to score runs. And I've covered this team for a couple of years now. Their biggest issue is runners and scoring position. They get guys on, but it's like they go blind at the plate when they get runners in scoring position. Just doing better with guys on base, driving in runs with two outs, and just not striking out when you can hit that little easy sack fly, sneak in that one little run the second that may help you out when the end of the game rolls around. Just doing the little things. And I think that's personally, I think that's one thing all of baseball's missing is little things. And this is a team that can really benefit from that. Because at times they are very stagnant with they're hitting, and then as we've seen in very horrible on both sides of the baseball with pitching as well. So just fighting a way to stabilize themselves. But they just got to do something to switch up that long ball strikeout stuff.
Speaker 3: Isn't going to work for you every night.
Speaker 6: All right, Well let's go to the pitching.
Speaker 7: Then, in my math, if you have five starters and only two of them give you a good, good chance to win in who I think will be Spencer Raghetty, And when Hunter Brown comes back, you're still losing three games, Like, how where is this going to? Who is going to step up? Is Peter Lambert? Can he take a little bit extra step? I know he's doing well, but you're talking about a guy to solidify, solidify that and flip it to three good starting pitchers and then the lineup battles out the other two starts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it personally starts with guys like em am I not being able to figure out what's going on right now. Yes, the no hit outing was fantastic to see for this fan base, but this is a guy who's got to get it and get it fast because we're paying you all this money.
Speaker 3: You're the highest paid player on the team.
Speaker 5: They need a guy like you to step You came over here like, hey, I don't want.
Speaker 3: To go to the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: I want to beat the dog. And right now I'm not even sure if this guy would even see the Dodgers lineup so him. I like the way Burrows is pitching. He could be a little bit more effective. I know he ran into some bad luck early on in the month, but you know, we're almost starting June. That ship is sailed beyond the good luck bad luck stuff again. His starting against his out against the Rangers.
Speaker 3: Was promising, So it's there.
Speaker 5: It's just where they pieces together, and from there on, I don't know who is going to step up.
Speaker 3: Guys like you.
Speaker 5: Know, I like aj Blueball, but he just doesn't know what his role is because there's so many moving parts right now. He's so good at coming in and giving three to four when you need him, and then you throw him in the starter role and it's like it's a complete different person out there. So I think it starts with Emi. I think it continues on with guys like Burris or Burrows and those guys just have to figure it out, because, like you said, when you're piecing together three bad starts, not only is it bad for your starters, you're stretching guys in your bullpen every series, and that amounts.
Speaker 3: To a lot of wear and tear. It come September in August.
Speaker 2: I'm a last minute guy.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you're a last minute guy where you all of a sudden see a night open up and you want to go grab some tickets, and you hadn't gotten them already, so you're going to see geek and you're gonna go look for a green dot and see where the good seats are and the good value is and have a little night with the fam.
Speaker 4: Right without a doubt, And I'm looking for some of the best seats. I'm looking for that green dot. When I get that, it's a simple plug it in, use your hands, go right on your screen, your phone, whatever platform you can get it on. And it's so simple. They make it so easy for you to do. Even my son can do it if I ask them, Hey, Blakester, let's go man, get on there for us, find us a couple of seats so we can watch even that Subway series that would be fantastic. Seat Geek has it.
Speaker 6: All there for you. Yeah, and the code for you.
Speaker 2: You should know it.
Speaker 6: It's Territory ten.
Speaker 1: It just gets you ten percent off your next set of tickets AT's s Eke ten percent off any tickets with promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description, download the app. Then the code is automatically added to your count sol you can use it later.
Speaker 7: Do you see it from Tatsuyom? You keep bringing up that he's the guy that maybe needs to be the guy. He either doesn't walk anybody and it's loud contact, or he is walking everybody and then the loud contact comes. So which what do you need to see from him? And does he even have that in there to say, okay, he could be a guy that could give us five innings of three run baseball.
Speaker 3: It's it's definitely in there.
Speaker 5: And the one thing with him, it's not been like stuff effectiveness. It's either the nasty backs or I don't even want to I don't even know what he calls his slider, the one that drops straight down and backwards.
Speaker 3: It's nasty. But it seems like like you say, cratsy it's either.
Speaker 5: Center cut cookie cutter, give me that thing hited out of the ballpark.
Speaker 3: Or it's not even competitive.
Speaker 5: So if he can learn to just fill up that corner part of the strike zone and just move the ball around, he's just got to stay out of that middle or nowhere spot. So once he figures that out, he's fine because the stuff's there, his effectiveness is there, the pitches have movement, and from one thing we've learned covering him is he's just got to get comfortable. He had adjusted to the lifestyle of baseball over here, and yeah, great, a huge culture change for somebody like that. But they've given this kid every opportunity to make him feel comfortable. So he's just got to take that next step forward and say, Okay, here's my positive start against a pretty good team and a pretty good lineup. I have to find out what it did for me moving forward to get to where I need to be. And I just think it's throwing more competitive strikes, getting out of the middle of the zone, and just kind of painting some corners to let his stuff play. Because once you look out of plane, that fastball comes out of the same armsd as that cider does.
Speaker 3: It's just a matter of where can I put it? Where can this pitch go?
Speaker 5: Because like you said, we can walk all day and then just wait for that one to do all the damage.
Speaker 3: So he just got to get rid of.
Speaker 6: That guy, Josh.
Speaker 7: You mentioned all the injuries. Tynter Brown supposed to be coming back soon, Hater's coming back soon. But Altuve no rehab games. They're talking about just sending him to Palm Beach and lining up some inner squad at bats. I guess what's your thoughts on this, because as much as a couple of time I had to go on, actually I only want to rehab twice, two days each time. I mean, it sucks, but it also was kind of fun to get down there and hang out with the young kids again.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've spent several stints down there for rehabs, and I was a firm believer. Take your rehab stint like and it's early. It's not like you're pushing for a September playoff spot. We need you to come back early. This is an oblique injury. This is something you use every part of your body on that field, swinging, hitting, go into the bathroom as a pain and that you know what, just when you pull in other bleak so at first the thing that pops out is a miraculous healing factory.
Speaker 3: And they said this is a grade two.
Speaker 5: I've had both of them grade twos and it was four to six minimum, So I see no need to rush go down there, get your at bats if you need three, grade if he needs six, get as many as you need.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's not about just going out and.
Speaker 5: Getting your timing, taking care of the kids down there, going there, buying the spread, hanging out, having them come out to you and ask their questions, give them advice, just going back and saying, hey, this feels good to be back with these younger guys. Could you You never know who's going to be the next big thing, so to speak. So I'm all for rehab games. Take as long as you want, especially since we're about to roll over the calendar month into June. There is absolutely no need to rush back. Your team is still relatively in the hunt. Take as much time as you can because we know injuries in this team in the last two years has been a huge question mark for recovery time.
Speaker 3: There's no need for you to.
Speaker 5: Even question this get one hundred percent, take a little extra if you need to, and come back ready to go to the end of this season.
Speaker 7: Right when guys dominate in big league series, big league seasons, whatever, it's like, Oh well, Jordan alvarezz he's rehabbing against the Rangers right now. He makes it look like they're a minor league team. And to me, I think he's a top five hitter in the game. We discussed it earlier. Can he win an MVP being ultimately just a DH.
Speaker 5: I think it's absolutely possible. I mean, we've seen pitchers win it. Why not a designated hit hit or hitter hit your hitter. So yeah, if he continues at this pace he's on right now, I think it's a pretty unanimous vote. I don't think anything anybody comes close to me. You can put defensive war in there against guys like you know, the judges, the Bobby wid juniors, all these guys coming up, but this guy is on a historic pace. The thing about jord On is, yeah, you can look at all his slugging numbers, of his power noise, but people tend to forget how much of a pure hitter Jordon Alvarez truly is and you don't see it unless you watch him on a daily basis. This guy will take your way, pitches the other way for that single, for the two RBI one run single, if he needs to.
Speaker 3: It, he'll be completely fine with it.
Speaker 5: He's not gonna chase, he's not gonna get overly big in his swing. So he controls the zone very well. He takes his walks, he takes his NOx the other way. Yeah, he's gonna hit the one hundred and twenty mile hour homers for you all the time. But when he's locked in like this, no, there's no way I'm throwing him a strike. I mean, we looked at him at a three zero slider on the outer third to dead center and a line yesterday. It makes you wonder, why aren't these guys just putting up the four fingers and sending you right on down to the baseline. At this point, he's got to get the Barry Bond Street and you have to respect that. When he's such a great power hitter, but he's also a very good contact and pure hitters.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's what gets overlooked about your.
Speaker 2: Don aj give me a line on blue chew.
Speaker 7: Well, do you need help with your love life. Scott, Perhaps, do you want a turbo charge your love life?
Speaker 6: Yes, well, then you need blue.
Speaker 7: Choo Gold because it has four active ingredients that help you not only two turbocharge, but you can supercharge it if you take one of these.
Speaker 1: And aj is talking about that new erasal boosting formula that combines passion and performance into one tablet that dissolves under your tongue for super fast on set. No more waiting for a pill to kick in, No more moments ruined by performance anxiety. Just the results you want when you want them. Discover your options at blue choo dot com. A special deal is there for the ftfam right now. When you buy two months of blue ch You Gold, you get the third for free with promo code foul. That's promo code foul. Visit blue you dot com for more details and important safety information. Thank you to Blue Cheo for sponsoring the show, and thank you A J for talking love life. The process is simple and it's all online. Get started today at blue cho dot com and go for gold.
Speaker 7: Josh, I have a question for you. We need can we can we show that graphic again? Can you see the graphic.
Speaker 6: On the screen, the one we just hey, bring it back. It was the yord On one. Can we can?
Speaker 4: We?
Speaker 7: I was hoping we could show that again, hold on, yeah, we can get it up there. Yeah, no, I know I want to. I want to show you how good yord On Alvarez is. H what's he hitting? Average?
Speaker 2: Wise?
Speaker 3: Three twelve?
Speaker 6: What's his babbit one?
Speaker 7: Damn, he's really good. He's hitting higher with an average and balls he's putting him play. That's how you know you're a damn good Josh right there.
Speaker 3: When you're hitting better than the balls you put in play.
Speaker 7: That that's that's you're getting hits on the strikeouts, and you're getting hits on strikeouts and walks.
Speaker 6: That's how good you are.
Speaker 3: That's a hall of famer in my book.
Speaker 7: Boys, right, thank you, thank you for that.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful.
Speaker 6: Oh man. I was like, wait a second. People say I don't pay attention.
Speaker 1: Wait wait yeah, but do you guys know I mean there's some people, including me, who has to do a double take for a minute.
Speaker 2: You know why that's the case.
Speaker 6: I didn't think that was possible.
Speaker 2: There's a ball that's not put in play that is still a hit.
Speaker 1: It's called a homer, the one that hit the base runner.
Speaker 6: Homers don't count on babbit.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Hold on did in.
Speaker 6: Play for a second?
Speaker 2: Batting average on balls in play?
Speaker 6: It takes away strike.
Speaker 7: Okay, I had a I had an unofficial worst stat in baseball.
Speaker 6: That one just took over.
Speaker 7: If that's the case, that that officially wins is the worst stat in baseball.
Speaker 6: If that's the case, and it's the bibot, what what did? What did she call it?
Speaker 3: The bit?
Speaker 6: By the way.
Speaker 1: A player who hits a lot of homers can have a higher average than it's a bit.
Speaker 2: It's relevant that the real thing, it's a real thing.
Speaker 6: But that's not just that's that analytics. I get. That's that to me just went up because when you hit a home run.
Speaker 7: Your average, I mean it doesn't when.
Speaker 5: I look on that jumbo tron at every stadium and it shows all my stats and I hit a homer, one plus gets added to that age column every time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But batting average on balls and plays is a different stat. Like you're not trying to drive up.
Speaker 6: It's talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's trying to help them, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 7: That just officially took over as the dumbest stat I've ever heard of. All right, all right, well, look we'll get back on pace here. The second best hitter on the Astros is a guy that was, in my opinion, this close to getting traded at the beginning of the season. Obviously, everybody, it's a great problem to have having extra you have paradus. How are they gonna find that bats? It's the same spring training narrative, like we don't know now all of a sudden, it's like crap, we got to find somebody else to fill in different spots. But Christian Walker's trade value is it there in the sense that if the Astros do not come back, if all the things we talked about, it's not you know, it's just not happening. It doesn't come together for the Astros this year. It's his trade value for the Astros as high as it's ever been. And do you think they'll get what they want or do you think they would be able to run it back with him again next year as a corner piece, probably all star first baseman.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 5: I think his trade value right now is the highest they'll ever get out of him, unless he continues to do this for the rest of the Year or something like that.
Speaker 3: But I I they tried.
Speaker 5: They tried earlyer this offseason, they tried through spring training, and nobody wanted this guy and know it right now, he's short of like, hey, I'm not a forgotten person in baseball, and he showed that. We've seen what this Christian Walker can do playing for the Diamondbacks for so long, and it's great to see this guy cod. But I think if you're looking at the overall picture and if they were out of it by ten plus games right now, they'd probably already having phone.
Speaker 3: Conversations with teams about this guy.
Speaker 5: But since I think they're so close, I think, knowing Jim Crane the way he functions, he's not going to let anything run out until they're completely out of it because he wants to win.
Speaker 3: They're still still technically in.
Speaker 5: That hunt, and who knows, once you get your studs back, this team could take off and run away with this division. Because I promise you the guys that are up there right now aren't going to run away with it. Nobody in this division is going to run away with it. So we might be looking at teams making moves that we weren't really anticipating at this time, and luckily for them they didn't get rid of him because of what's happening with Korea and getting you know, Jeremy Painia just now getting back. So it's good to see him have a bounce back year. But I think his trade value is through the ceiling right now, and whether he's out of it out the door or not is yet to be told. I think the next month will play a lot in that role. But I mean, who knows. Who knows the way things are going, in the way this division in this league is running around, We're looking at a coin flip situation every day.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. It's not even just the division.
Speaker 1: Even if the Mariner's just going to tear and win, you know, eighteen to twenty and start to take over the division, you can still make a wildcard spot. I mean, there are not teams running with that anytime soon. I don't think you're going to see that. There'll be at least one spot where you're going to look late in the year and be like, does anyone want this.
Speaker 2: Finishing stat here? To end our conversation?
Speaker 1: The formula for babbit just because we got into it, so I'll actually get you guys. The formula ready hits minus home runs divided by at bats minus strikeouts minus home runs plus sacrifices.
Speaker 3: Comes up with these algorithms of stats.
Speaker 5: That was I thought I got out of school in math class.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 6: Here's my thing.
Speaker 7: Shouldn't babbit ball batting average on balls in play? So every time you hit a ball and it goes in fair territory, including a home run, because that is in fair territory, shouldn't that count towards your bat again?
Speaker 5: Learned today, I agree in because even even a lot of homers can be caught rounds.
Speaker 7: It's it's definitely just a luck stat. That's the only don't. Don't put it up on a pedestal like whoa his batpeb was so high he should be the m v P. It's a luckstack. It's a luckstack because people who don't know the game can't watch.
Speaker 6: But if you had homers to it, it ain't yeah runs say lucky love homers.
Speaker 1: But but you're but again, you're not trying to be like the best babbit p in baseball. That the stat was created to measure what happens after the defense has a chance to turn a battit ball into an out.
Speaker 7: Okay, homers, they can rob homers. Though, if you hit a home run and the guy jumps over the fence and catches it, that hurts your babbitt.
Speaker 6: Even though would have been all.
Speaker 7: And also let me asking this question. This is also another question. Listen, I wanted a high babbit because that means I was getting a lot of hits.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't care, you know whatever, but true. Anyways, Anyways, the people are going to say we hate analytics, which is not true. But that's just fascinating the way they can manipulate the.
Speaker 6: Way they want to make them.
Speaker 3: Can I say it, You could say I hate analytics.
Speaker 7: Brandon marsha is getting hated on. Brandon marsh is almost leading the league and hitting, and he's getting hated on because he has the highest the BIP in like baseball history right now, and I'm like, he's leading the league. He could get a trophy for leading the league and hitting. And hitting in the big leagues is so hard to do.
Speaker 3: Anymore, super easy. It's so easy from behind a keyboard. Too easy.
Speaker 7: It's I have a keyboard right here, and it's not easy. It wasn't easy when I had a bat in my hand either, Sure was.
Speaker 2: It only thing easy in this combo?
Speaker 1: Is like I promised at the top, can you just maybe go right above the fold there so we can see the cold forty five shirt on the way out here for the newest sponsor on the show.
Speaker 2: There it is. That's nice. That's Royal Retros.
Speaker 1: So before the Killer Bees, before the Astrodome, there were the forty five.
Speaker 2: So kids, look it up.
Speaker 1: Josh is wont to rock in one of the retro unis and the code is foul which is the code that you know, well, Royalretros dot Com QR code on the screen or we'll put it in the link or the link in the description of this episode. But again there's the QR code. Kisse, you're interested, there's the hats, there's the sweet starter jacket that they have there too. Check it out and also make sure you check out Crush Shitty Territory. Josh Reddick on there frequently with Chandler and Tyler bringing it a few times a week.
Speaker 2: Josh, it was a pleasure. We learned a lot, truly learned a lot today.
Speaker 1: We did we we learned beyond just what Houston is doing We learned about math. Yeah, appreciate you make great catching up love listen to you.
Speaker 2: Talk soon, dude.
Speaker 3: Take care, guys,