Speaker 1: Trust me. Do you trust me?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Everly?
Speaker 4: And he was right? Trust This is the truth, the only truth.
Speaker 2: If anybody ever tells you to just trust them, don't welcome to trust me. The podcast about cults and extreme belief and manipulation from two not so plain people who actually experienced it. I am Lola Blanc and I'm Meg and Elizabeth. This week, we're back with Jasper Hoffman, writer, podcaster, and former Mennonite in part two. Today, she's going to talk to us about what the perfect woman looked like in Mennonite culture, how concerns were raised about Jasper for not being compliant enough, and how overtime she became depressed and developed an eating disorder in response to the pressures of the group.
Speaker 5: She'll share how her mom secretly found her a therapist on the outside, even though it was against the rules, and how that therapist helped to write a letter to withdraw her Mennonite membership, which led to the harassment of her family. We'll talk about how she tried to go back after she left but realized she really didn't belong, and why she started the Plain People's.
Speaker 2: Podcast Megan, before we get back into it with Jasper, learning all about plain people. Can you tell me what your cultius thing is this week? Yeah, my cultist thing this week is I'm looking into this guy. His name is Nikita Tukulo.
Speaker 5: I'm sure I'm saying that a bit off, but he is being held right now on a five million dollar bond, which stood out to me because that's quite high.
Speaker 1: And he had a hype house.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna call it a hype house, but a content house maybe that's more reasonable and only fans house, you know. And I've been so curious about how all of these houses are going to shake out when all is said and done, because you have a bunch of people living together creating content. I'm sure it can be done in a healthy way. But like a lot of times, I'm like, that sounds like a cult, would you.
Speaker 2: Agree, Well, that sounds like everywhere you've ever lived, So you mean me personally, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not living at one right now, and I'm so sad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I guess I do love living in houses with a bunch of people, but we're not creating content, but you are creating music and like well, videos are. Yeah, but this in particular was a little bit more intense because he was basically isolating women and having them create sex content and then stealing all of their money and threatening to kill them if they didn't comply to his very course of rules.
Speaker 1: Also, this man is twenty two years old. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so just a mini little cult leader and the making really high bail, which makes me think a lot of stuff is going to start coming to light. People have been drawing parallels to the Playboy mansion, but on steroids, like one woman made two hundred and thirty thousand dollars one year and it was all withheld from her.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it went under something like Nova Talent Management, so it sounded very real and you know, would get people in anyway. I love, as you said, living in houses with a bunch of people who love creating things. I don't make content per se, but you know it can go wrong, and often does.
Speaker 1: It just pisses me off. I mean whatever.
Speaker 2: Anytime anyone is a bad person to people, obviously that's that is angering. But what's cool about OnlyFans in theory and often in practice, is that it gives a lot of women the opportunity to take control of their lives if they want to gauge in like some version of adult content totally where no one's like telling them what to do. So when these guys come in and they take over and then they you know, essentially start trafficking women for OnlyFans, it's like, no, that's.
Speaker 6: The whole opposite of the point of only fans.
Speaker 5: And they're making like their own bots of women that are just AI created, and you know, it's we could do a whole podcast on the subject.
Speaker 1: I'm sure whenever a bunch.
Speaker 5: Of money is involved, you're going to find people being predatory and trying to control people.
Speaker 1: So curious to see how this shakes out.
Speaker 5: He's been speaking in Russian over the phone trying to get people to move all the money. And there was a kind of funny quote or one of the police agents was like, we have people here who speak Russian, and it's just like kind of funny. He was like, this is a secret language that I guess that they had, like a Russian guy on the police force.
Speaker 1: Hilarious.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I was reading a lot about it, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of it kind of involves spirituality in a weird way, or.
Speaker 2: Like, I mean, there is something wild and absolutely plausible at the same time about the idea of like an OnlyFans coercive trafficker who is also like it's under the guy's spirituality, Like I'm sure that's happening as we speak.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and by spirituality I just mean almost like prosperity gospel, yeah, and prying on people's wants and needs and taking it to the limit. So something to keep your eye on. And I'm curious to see how this will keep developing. Yeah, Lola, what's your cultiest thing of the week.
Speaker 6: It's it's very just silly.
Speaker 1: Oh good, it's.
Speaker 6: An article a little overblown.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The article is called the most disturbing cult like towns in America you should avoid, Oh bye, Crystal Row. And this is on yahoo dot com, but I do up there sometimes you google cult and most of these I think this is like from a Reddit thread, Like oh yeah, this is just an article repeating people's posts on a Reddit thread.
Speaker 1: So it's not hard hitting journalism here.
Speaker 2: But it is a list of basically like everywhere anyone has ever felt weird. So there's like the actual cult connected town. So there's Clearwater, Florida, which is like the scientology hub there's Moscow, Idaho, where there's a controversial church whose leader has openly talked about wanting.
Speaker 1: To create a theocracy.
Speaker 2: Okay, they're called christ Church, and yeah, it's just like a super Christian nationalist thing with really crazy beliefs. Obviously, Colorado City is.
Speaker 1: On the list.
Speaker 2: My mom's town Island pon Vermont, where twelve tribes are and there's like the Yellow Deli restaurants there. And then there's a bunch that are like, oh yeah, there's a bunch of neo Nazis in this town and they were scary. And then there's a bunch that are like, for some reason, there are like eight different people sharing a really similar story in different places in rural America where they walk into a diner and then nobody speaks and everybody just stares at them silently the entire time, which is not a cult thing. I think that's just a country thing. Like why are they outsiders in my you know we when people never come through here.
Speaker 1: I think it's just that.
Speaker 2: But there's so many people who shared that like exact story, it's confuted. Ah, I guess. I guess small towns are kind of culty. Yeah, I mean totally. They're insulated communities. Often there's like weird hierarchies going on with you know, who's at the top of the ladder that week or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so one of them was in powers Organ.
Speaker 2: The person wrote stopped in the diner for coffee once on a drive through. I shit, you not like straight out of a movie. The other patrons just turned and quietly stared, not touching their plates until we left. I don't know why so many people are having this experience. But oh, same thing in northern Minnesota. Same thing in Dodgeville, Wisconsin, but it was at a bowling alley.
Speaker 1: I am from a rural town in Michigan.
Speaker 2: And also my mom lives in one of these towns that before she ever lived there, like, I went and visited because we'd heard all these weird things about these people who followed you. But then, of course, now that we know more about these people in this town, they're just like mostly lovely and anyway, it's interesting what we project onto the mystery of like a small town that we don't know about.
Speaker 5: Well, Jasper has a lot to say about communities that are up the grid.
Speaker 1: Shall I speak to her?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: What does the perfect Mennonite woman look like perfect, perfect, perfect hair.
Speaker 4: Everything is like beautifully jest, enough of a swoop, not a single hair out of place.
Speaker 1: It is the stepbird wife.
Speaker 4: Your your dress is immaculate for us, our print size had to be smaller than a quarter, so the flower had to be like fit inside the quarter. It was always like a pastel color, a little bit of ruffle, but not too much ruffle. She was very svelt and graceful, and her mannerisms were small, and she was very quiet but yet personable and warm. She had the perfect Guatemalin sweater and her her shoes were like hush puppies, not sass. And she had perfect Mennonite handwriting and she would write little notes.
Speaker 1: Did you have the bonnet?
Speaker 4: I had the white head covering. Yeah, And then I ended up buying like I had a custom made black bonnet, drove to Pennsylvania to have one made for me. I still have that too.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: But that was my way of trying to be even more in compliance with the t because it was like, Okay, well, if I have a bonnet, then they can't say that I'm trying to be too liberal. They had an issue with my I have two calics, and so my hair was a little bit too swoopy.
Speaker 7: These people are the swoop is the point in your guys's culture, Yes, but it's like in us, it's like it can't look like you're swooping.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. As in like the bump at the top, is that the swoop? Okay in question, that's okay, which is similar to the FLDS, but it's going to be smaller because the FLDS bump would be too high, way too high.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I call it the fundy swoop. But it's funny. I'm friends with a lot of like FLDS scals, and I found out the recipe that they used to like put their hair in place.
Speaker 1: What is it.
Speaker 4: It's like corn starch with honey and all of this, and they use it and like one of my girlfriends recently, she's like the flies would warm around the hair.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: So we used Aquinette, Like, so we didn't do that.
Speaker 6: Okay, smaller smooth, no honey required.
Speaker 5: I noticed that a lot of these different groups have a different voice. Was the woman's voice supposed to be like kind of Michelle Duggery where it's kind of a baby.
Speaker 4: It is a very baby voice. Yes, like because there's also like this, you have a Pennsylvania Dutch accent. So they'll say things and they end things with a question. So if they say goodbye, it's goodbye like it's the sing song.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're doing ASMR right now. It's good making my brain it's a question goodbye. There's a little bit of a I say this all the time.
Speaker 4: Is it all? Is it all gone? They'll just drop a word, so is it all? Is very common?
Speaker 1: Is it all? How interesting?
Speaker 4: But everything sings song? Is it all? So they'll raise the note at the very end.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's interesting. What was it that led you to act? Actually start to consider that maybe this wasn't the lifestyle for you.
Speaker 4: Around this time, after I was not invited back to school, there were ongoing concerns about me. Right, and so I'm up for baptism, which they link membership with baptism. While they would consider you a Christian and you're wearing a head covering at the time, you can't greet each other with a holy kiss, you can't partake in communion of feet washing until you're baptized into the church. So they will have what's called council meeting a month beforehand, where the bishop will come into town and it's a regular church service. But then at the end of that, there's two rooms up front of the sanctuary. You could say, the ministry will be in there and the bishop, and there will be small sections of people. It's segregated seating, I should say this. So they'll start with men. They'll have the men go in and it's normally two or three rows at a time, and so you will go around and answer are the questions of the bishop. And then that's when you can raise any concern about anybody that is coming into the church or in the church in general. If there's a concern about an applicant aka me coming in, they'll note that and then at the very end of council meeting, the bishop will come up and then he will share what the concerns are. They won't say who it is.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like av right, but you had to apply even though you'd been a member, Like can you explain what that is?
Speaker 4: So you can stand up during revival service to become a Christian. They'll take you down to the basement. Afterwards they will pray with you, and at that point you will then begin your instruction class with the intention of joining the church.
Speaker 1: So you will look Mennonite, but you won't be Mennonite.
Speaker 4: Until you go through instruction class and then are baptized into the church.
Speaker 2: Okay, So even though you'd been in since you were nine years old, you were not technically a member, right wow.
Speaker 4: Okay, Which that is a big part of the Anabaptist religion is that they don't believe in infant baptism. So that's where they separated from the Lutheran Church during the Great Reformation was because they believed. That's why they're called the anti Baptists the Anabaptist So, yeah, depending on the age and the type of church, it's more common in the Homish churches to join later on as a teen, but the Mennonites it's normally like.
Speaker 1: Traditionally kind of like early teen okay.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so you can be raised in the church, but then until you're a church member, you don't have as much expectation placed on you. So when you're an instruction class, that's when you're proving that you were worthy of church membership and baptism.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the two by two is very similar how I grew up.
Speaker 5: You had to stand up in a packed room to like profess your allegiance to this group in Christianity, in christ and then when you were older, you had to choose to be baptized because the most evil thing in the world was baptizing a baby. That's like such a horrible thing to do for them. And my sister I didn't get baptized because I don't know. I just was like, no, oh, I know, Lola's like, we got to get you baptized. Oh I got baptized at your party. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I forgot.
Speaker 1: I forgot I'm baptized and baptized.
Speaker 5: Okay, so but but my sister, who's younger than me, did get baptized. We would do it on like farm lakes at convention. And my sister walked into the lake and tripped and fell into the water, came up and she goes, I baptized myself.
Speaker 1: I was like dead quiet. That was so bad.
Speaker 4: One of my really one of my really great friends. He grew up pretty conservative mana night, but he was never baptized. So recently he was baptized by one of his friends as she was dressed like Lady Gaga and so in Vegas.
Speaker 1: So amazing. Yeah, yeah, exactly, that's kind of what happened.
Speaker 2: A Yeah, Igon got baptized in the pool at my album releasehipah, it was great, amazing.
Speaker 1: I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, so you're an applicant and they're like an applicant who shall not be named, but we all know exactly who it is is not worthy of aggressive preaching.
Speaker 1: It's awful. What were the reasons that they were giving.
Speaker 4: I think it's the concern that I had a horse and that.
Speaker 1: I know how unrighteous of you.
Speaker 4: I was uncontrollable. They couldn't control me. I mean, I could give you a list of the reasons, but ultimately, probably because they knew that I would become who I am today of exposing them for the same things. I was ungovernable, even though I was trying so hard, they just couldn't nail me down. And I mean I ultimate was baptized the following months, so it was a great fu to them where I was like, see I did it. It was so performance striven, but I had to strip myself into just focusing on this goal, which was becoming a member of the church and it didn't matter what it costs.
Speaker 1: I just had to do it, and I did it.
Speaker 4: And then what it psychologically did was just I never had the space to recover from the pressure of that. And then then it was like more additional pressure because now I'm in Now I got to keep it. Yeah, and it's like, oh, that's so much on a teenager. I mean, so much on anybody, but like as a teenager, it was extremely brutal. I mean, obviously it was like depressed, but it just became worse because they started isolating me. So already I've been pulled out of school, so there's something wrong with me, and I've made it into the church. But at that point they started talking about trying to send me to a facility, one of their wellness mental health places to help me become more compliant and to help me out. And my dad was all for it because at this point, like my family is fighting constantly about me. There is a I'm a huge source of contention in the family, and my mom said, absolutely not, We're not sending our daughter away, and so that created even more controversy because now my dad can't get any of us in order, so then it makes him look like a bad leader in the church and they've just joined in. So it's like the pressure that the church puts on men to keep their women submissive. And the head shupporter. I look at that and I'm like, that would make anybody break, you know. Yeah, And his job is connected to his membership, right right. I get it now as an adult, where my dad was supporting all of us, and now I have two other siblings, so there's three of us plus my mom. Everybody needs to stay in order so dad can keep his job. And yet I was constantly messing up. So they sent everybody away that I was really close to, that I was writing letters to. They sent my best friend away in the middle of the night. They came and took her at three in the morning, and I was never allowed to talk to her again.
Speaker 1: Oh my god until.
Speaker 4: Probably like ten years.
Speaker 1: I didn't see her for twenty one years.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: And is it like a troubled teen type of thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: How does it relate to the kind of the troubled teen industry?
Speaker 4: What's the it's really on brand. It just looks prettier, you know. The facade, the marketing and the branding is there, but it's it's very similar, so whether they put you in a facility or they take you to somebody else's house, or like in her and since she was taken to the bishop's house and so she moved up a class or five in a way because there is such a cast system, so suddenly she's been yanked out of her family and put into its like President Snow's place, you know, it's like.
Speaker 1: The royal family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah. So it was in some ways really good for her, but it was because of our friendship. So I'm losing people one by one, and so this isolation was really driving my mental health into plummeting. And you can see it in photos. You can watch me every year just lose more and more spark in my eye. So by the time I'm this age, like sixteen, like I was cutting and I was I was pulling my hair out, and I.
Speaker 1: Was so depressed.
Speaker 4: And then when you're depressed, you're trying to control your you know, for me, I was trying to control everything. So I become super ocd because there's so much it's performance driven, and I'm like, maybe if I can be the perfect Mennonite girl.
Speaker 1: Then they'll like me and I'll be accepted.
Speaker 4: So at that point, my mom, I think, realized that I was really not doing well, and so she made a choice to go outside of the church standard and seek counseling for me, which is not allowed any sort of mental health support outside.
Speaker 1: Of the community.
Speaker 4: But she knew that I was just she was going to lose me in one capacity or another. So we went to a county over so nobody would see that I was going to a therapist and we'd have to like drop me off, you know, a couple parking lots over and I'd walk in real quick. So I started going to a counselor and he saved my life completely because it was like the only person that saw me as me and not a performance or what I needed to be. And because he has nothing to do with the church, nothing, and he was so great at like how we phrased this, because you know, I'm so scared to be in there, and it's a man on top of it all, so here like these are two things that are not allowed to be happening. And he at the very end of our first intake session, I'll never forget where he made me like I laughed or something and he said, oh, he's like there it is like I can get you to smile. You know, it's in there, like you're we're going to be okay. And that tells you, like if you know, my personality and very giggly all the time, so like it was so bad that I just could not even connect with any sort of joy. So he recognized that, and then the next time when it was just the two of us, he told me, he said, I am not here to make you stay in the church, and I'm not here to make you leave. I'm here for you, and whatever that decision is, I will walk with you whatever you decide from a therapist standpoint. Good for him, because that's what exactly I needed to hear. I needed to hear that I was not going to be forced to leave the church because that was not my goal at all.
Speaker 1: He gave me that.
Speaker 4: Relief straight out the gate, which then immediately made me.
Speaker 1: Feel so trusting of him. And he was great. He was just phenomenal and taught me so much about learning.
Speaker 4: To love myself for me and things that were not ever taught for me since I was living in this performance based culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm curious, like how because it totally makes sense that would make your guard come down, so then you can actually just like be real with him. How did he encourage you to think for yourself and how did that kind of go against what you'd been taught about what you were supposed to think.
Speaker 4: A lot of a lot of my obsession was on body image at the time, because I was in a culture that's also uses not only the female bodies. The female body is responsible for everything, right, it's responsible for men's sin. And it's also like if the smaller you can make yourself, the quiet, the more you know elegant that you can become, you have a better chance of marrying somebody. And it was everything that I was not, So I was obsessed with being as skinny as possible. I've had a lot of eating disorders and I was just trying to control that, And so a lot of our focus was really on worthiness, that I was worthy without looking a certain way or performance, and that was so different than anybody else that was in my life. I think that that's where he started. He started at the point where I could identify with what it was.
Speaker 1: But truly like that life.
Speaker 4: Lesson doesn't it doesn't matter if it's like your body image or anything. It always the same thing, which is confidence and telling me that I was right, you know, whenever, and really just confirming and reaffirming what my intuition was when nobody else was like that. So a lot of our focus though, was just on the performance side of things. But he did tell me I'll never forget because he had asked me what my social Security number was and I didn't know it, and he said, oh, when you go to.
Speaker 1: College, you'll know it.
Speaker 4: So it was like these little little things that were like and I think about him every time I write my social security number out. I'm like, he's right.
Speaker 5: Number One, props to your mom for breaking rank on that, yeah, and taking you know, that's really cool. Number Two, you go to therapy, secret therapy, you come back, Do you have to.
Speaker 4: Pretend that you're not growing? Yes, I'll never forget. I was really struggling, but I was starting to like feel better because I was learning about positive thinking and so it was helping me like reframe things, and so all of a sudden, I like didn't feel so bad. I'll never forget. My school teacher. He was talking to me and he said something he was wanting to know how I was doing or whatever, and so I was like, oh, I'm I started saying that I was better, and he goes, well, you know, we don't believe in the.
Speaker 1: Power of positive thinking.
Speaker 4: Oh, but it was in a way that it was like I didn't say anything, but I was like, I think your phone should like because it's working. This is the best I have felt ever. And so I just had to pretend that he was right and just be like, okay, you know, and but I'll never forget that. So yeah, I totally.
Speaker 1: Masked like yourself growth a lot of my growth. Yeah wow, wow to respond like your old self. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that was a gradual progression and probably, well not probably. That's totally why they don't allow you to have outside support mental health, because once you begin to have some sort of self worth and to be allowed to question things and work through things and make your own decision, you'll leave most likely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And once you connect with somebody who's not in it and they're not pressuring you and you're just human to human, Yeah, that's also very powerful, very powerful, huge.
Speaker 4: So for me, there was no aha moment. It was just this gradual self awareness and self confidence where I finally was like, I can't keep doing this. And I also recognized that there was no way that they were going to let me marry who I wanted to marry, and I had no true future because for them, if you were over the age of twenty one and not in a relationship or married, you're an old maids. And how do you support yourself moving forward is that you would typically become a school teacher. But if they're not going to let you marry somebody that is a good Mennonite man, because you are a risk, they're definitely not going to let you teach their children. So I really actually looked at going to a less conservative Mennonite church. I was looking for a step down program, and there wasn't one where we lived unless I moved to Pennsylvania. And that was a huge risk too, because at this point I'm coming with this like tainted reputation, being this like you know, horror.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they've already wrote letters about you.
Speaker 4: They have they do, like you know, And it was very well known that I was a problem. And because I wasn't allowed to interact with my peers like it was if we went to a visiting church, like everybody was told they couldn't interact with me.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So the friends that I still I still have them, like that went outside the box, like took a big risk socially and to be in trouble by.
Speaker 1: Associating with me.
Speaker 4: So for me, it was just this realization that it was like once you see something, you can't unsee it. And there was just I had developed such growth. I mean I've still like had a long waist to go, but I had enough to be like, I can't keep myself small like this. It's just unattainable without me wanting to die. And I don't want to feel like I want to die every day. Yeah, So that was it. There wasn't like I didn't have this one thing that made me leave that I can remember anyway. I mean that's the thing, like repressed memories are still there around this time period because I think it was just so difficult. But it's helpful to have my parents and you know, my mom especially remind me of things that were happening at that time, just to kind of put the puzzle pieces of trauma together.
Speaker 6: And so when you turn eighteen, what happens?
Speaker 1: Where do you go?
Speaker 4: I was able to stay at my parents' house. I left. I wrote a letter to withdrama membership with my therapist, because they do a lot of intimidation practices when you leave the church, they will come to your house, they will write letters, they will make phone calls.
Speaker 1: It's like this major harassment, very scientology.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I didn't want that. And so in the letter I wrote that I had my parents blessing and support to withraw my membership, and that I did not want anybody to come to my house to try to talk to me. And so Roger taught me this and we signed it this way that it was your anticipated cooperation is deeply appreciated. Roger.
Speaker 1: My therapist killed it with that, we love you, Roger. That's so good.
Speaker 4: And you know I ran into him two years ago. He walked in into my parents' restaurant and I got, this is my therapist and I got to thank him, oh foring all of the work that he did with me as a teenager. And because of him, I've been able to impact so many hundreds of lives because of his own work and invested in me, And it was amazing. It was his birthday. We've cried. His wife cried, and I know it was great. You know, to go back and thank the people that have been there for you is a unique experience and I was able to do that.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: So he taught me that phrase and I use it all the time.
Speaker 1: Your anticipated cooperation.
Speaker 5: The stocking and harassment is quite on christ Like, how do they reckon with that?
Speaker 4: Well, they would say that it's as Jesus would go out to find the lost sheep. It's essentially the same thing, like and bring it back to the fold. That's what they believe in, right, And that's where like a lot of people ask, what's the difference between Aumish and Mennonites. And the Menonites are a lot more mission driven. You'll see a lot more missionaries. And also they will proactively go to try to get somebody back into the fold. The Amish are not, and they do what's called the band, so they will freeze somebody out and that's their way of feeling like they can bring somebody back into the fold is by psychological torture. Pick whatich you're one?
Speaker 6: Yeah, God, both bad but anyways, both very bad.
Speaker 4: But the harassment's awful. And I see this a lot like actively working in the communities. And this is something that I've really tried to get the survivors to understand, even when they're still in the church, but maybe they've stood up and or they've reported their abuse, or they're seeking help. Is I tell them these are criminal actions that these men in the church and sometimes women are doing. And you can actually call the police and have charges pressed on them because this is stoking harassment. You can get a CPO and just to watch them, just like light bulb moments. Because nobody told me that either, but it's very common practice in the in the communities.
Speaker 5: What does it look like like they're outside your house? They're like, what do they do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they'll drive by.
Speaker 1: I mean they do this when you're in the church too.
Speaker 4: They'll drive by our bishops stopped in at They'll come late at night, stopped in it like nine thirty, I believe. And I think it's done on purpose because you're in your pajamas. You're not, you know, fully dressed for the day, and you're caught off guard. And he sat at our kitchen table and he was furious and told my mom that he would make an example out of my family, that it was not easy to leave the church. Wow, So the threats are there. I have letters. They really big on writing these like emotional guilt trip letters that you know there's choices and consequences and you need to think clearly and you know you're clearly not in your right mind and that everybody is praying for you, and it's it's the same thing. But when you get like these letters in they're from your family and these phone calls and people are driving by and stopping in, and it's hard. Yeah, it's hard when you've broken free.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like gonna ask, were you tempted to return or were you more just like, God, these fucking people won't leave me alone.
Speaker 4: That's great question. Because I actually tried to go back. Probably I can't remember how long it was, but I know it was in like the first year that I left.
Speaker 1: I think it was like a couple months later.
Speaker 4: I decided, well, maybe I can go back, maybe because I couldn't do out here. This is like too much and I couldn't find anywhere else, and so I was like, maybe I'll just like go back. And I tried and I couldn't do that either. And that's the worst feeling. You don't know where to go because you don't fit in anywhere, and you don't belong and you don't nobody wants to and so but I was able to stay at my parents' house. My mom had left the church three months before and my dad was still a member, so I still had a home, so I wasn't kicked out, but there was. It was a lot of.
Speaker 1: Turmoil in the family. It was not easy by any means. No, that sounds horrible.
Speaker 4: I just focused on education.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: I just found what I needed to, like the next step, and just really tried to be goal oriented. How met a night of me?
Speaker 1: And did you go to college?
Speaker 4: I did. I ended up having to go back to me forever to graduate. But I have my Bachelors of Science and Equine Science, which was yes, I still work in horses amazing and having a science degree is hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yes, so hard, that's perfect.
Speaker 4: Oh hard. Yeah. And in a five year span, I left a cult, I lost a very close grandparent. I went to college, I dropped out of college, got married, got pregnant, had a child, got divorced, and then went back to school.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Not any support or therapy. So it was like this like flusterfuck of just shit. But I did it all like in my late teens and early twenties, I got all that like just out of the way, and now I feel like the rest of my life is just trying to untangle that and learn how to live in a state of peace.
Speaker 6: And you are untangling that on your podcast, which would love for you to tell people what that is.
Speaker 4: Yes, So in twenty eighteen, I decided that I feel like a podcast is the millennial white woman's version of a butterfly tattoo.
Speaker 1: Like all of us have one.
Speaker 4: I was like, I should trampstamp my own so hard a podcast in twenty eighteen called The Plane People's Podcast and if it's really just a creative endeavor to show what it was like to leave high control, high demand religion, and I was really focused on showing the need for a continuing education and slash education for women that were coming out of the communities because it's so hard to leave and there's no support or resources. And I've always been very, very firm the education is a gateway. It is a privilege. It is amazing. It is something that Americans don't realize is a lifeline for people that are leaving Poults because it gives you access to who you want to become, it gives you resources, it can give you housing if you stay on campus. It's like it is such a great landing spot. And so I really wanted to showcase why I felt like there needed to be more attention on grant writing and scholarships for women that would leave. They felt like they would leave more, and so I started the podcast kind of thinking that that was what it was going to be, is just show what it was like and why, and it segued into just a whole different direction than I ever thought that it would and grew. So my intention was always to just have roundtable discussions like this with people that had left the churches, whether they had good experiences or bad. I wanted to showcase just the spectrum and hear how their life was and all was curious, like how did they survive leaving the church? And so I just started with beginner energy, and there was not another podcast out there that was talking about amishr Mennonites at the time, so it took off like way more than I ever thought it would and quickly segued into immersing me in high levels of abuse that I had no idea was so prolific. So that was a really big learning curve for me, first.
Speaker 2: In terms of what was going on in the communities that you didn't know about that you were learning from these stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the thing was, it's like, as you can tell, the church was so focused on me and everything that I was doing wrong that while I heard murmurings of abuse that was happening, it was always very much made to feel like I was the problem. And what I found by sharing stories is that all my guests were made to feel that way too, and then recognizing there was a much bigger issue that was happening, which at the time most people were just talking about sexual abuse child sexual abuse. So I was thrust into all of a sudden people sharing all of these stories, not on the podcast, but writing in saying that they could identify with something or that they had had this happened to them, and did I know anybody else that had? So it became very overwhelming, very fast, and I just felt like I was just trying to get my feet underneath me. With the podcast, it started to feel overwhelming, like I'm not a therapist. I don't have the tools to be able to walk somebody through this, And these are people's lives in people's stories, and they're very vulnerable. And while I felt so grateful that they trusted me with that, I wanted to help them in the way that I could. So it's been been a journey of creating pathways and resources for people and to be able to connect them in and digging out the tunnels of resources. So podcasts started with intentions of just sharing stories. Then it became so much bigger in a way amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean, what were some of the things that you were learning?
Speaker 4: I was putting pieces together that there was trafficking going on. That was a big aha moment for me because like hearing what somebody was sharing, whether that's sex trafficking or labor trafficking, and seeing it from a different angle. Because when I'm talking to other Mennonites or Anabaptists wing people, I can use the terminology that we use, Like they won't ever say, oh, somebody raped their trial. They'll say they fell into sin ah. So there's all these common phrases. And so when I'm interviewing people and they say that it's like code switching, something will kick into me and I'll be like, wait a minute, that's actually called this, and being able to incorporate proper terminology into people's stories shifted the narrative of how people saw things. So when people were talking about the facilities and their experiences, I started recognizing, I'm like, I think this is labor trafficking. So then going and having to educate myself on that and being like, yes, this is labor trafficking, and then being willing enough to say it before it was common to say, and being ostracized for coming in with such an enforceful word, right or phrase. It makes people uncomfortable when you use terminology like that. It makes people uncomfortable when you say that's child labor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you call out the truth, they don't like to hear it. And these are communities that are holding quarters up to women's dresses to make sure the flower is smaller, minimizing these huge actual problems and language, and we're calling it this. And it's just like the more focused a community is on controlling the smallest things about women, the.
Speaker 2: Less they seem to care about sexual abuse and the commuse yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 4: And so it was also really hard for me because I'm still like reprogramming my Menonite brain in order to be brave enough to say these things. And then I realized there was I think sex trafficking happening, which was called wife swapping, and being comfortable enough to even exploring that that was happening when people were like, there's no way that this is happening within the community. You're coming for them and you're just angry and bitter because you couldn't make it in the church, and I'm like, that's not it at all. So it's been a journey of like uncovering what is truly organized crime and being willing to see things that there's different layers. You know, a lot of members they don't recognize or see that that's happening, and their experience isn't organized crime, but that doesn't negate the fact that it is organized crime on a different level, and that there are very coercive, manipulative men that are doing things for money, but they're hiding behind the brand the Amish and Mennonite churches and the image that people in the outside world have also revered and romanticized so much so my battle is always not only just like talking frankly and exposing what is happening within to the people that are within. But also it's reframing and shifting the romantic lens that so many people hold on the amishon Mennonites totally. I always say this, I'm like kool Aid didn't do a collab with Jim Jones, And you know there's all these other cults. You're not buying Jehovah Witness furniture, right, but people still like I feel like when you look at cults, they honest, your Mennonites are like the most romanticized one at all. So when you start speaking out on that, they people in the outside world they don't like that. They get really really upset with you when you start calling it a cult or just naming the different crimes because they want to hold on to this romanticized version of the quilts and the reason that my family joined in.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say that they want their quilts period. I got the quilts and some fresh butter.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, Like they'll they'll accept the fact that there's puppy mells and that there's abuse happening within animals, but they still can't not always. But what I've seen it shift, but it's hard for people to still accept that, like organized crime is happening against children and women and men within the communities as well. So that's always been a little difficult where you know, people will almost like animals right, animal rights for children's rights. It's odd.
Speaker 2: I remember we interviewed the cult assassin Carol Murchison, I believe is how you say her last name who She's a lawyer who specifically like goes after abusive high control groups, and her journey began with someone saying that there was a Buddhist group that had become abusive, and she was like, Buddhists, no way, Buddhist wouldn't do that. That goes against the idea of Buddhism, and I feel like it's a similar thing. And of course she then learned that the abuse really was happening, and that sort of opened her whole world. It's like, wherever there's a sanitized image of like purity and wholesomeness, like, no matter what I promise you, there's a version of it somewhere where somebody's getting abused because unfortunately human beed doing that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's an inconvenient truth for quilts and the other things that people need to believe that is happening.
Speaker 1: Somewhere in the world. There's like pure living and it's just like.
Speaker 2: No which I'm sure there are communities where it's not happening and few.
Speaker 1: Families are having a great good time.
Speaker 4: It is, and that's the thing. Like So in twenty twenty one, I had a I don't know, maybe twenty twenty two, I had a group of current Amish women reach out to me from Ohio asking for my help. They'd found my podcast, They'd listened to everything they could relate to it, and they were trying to get eyes on what they were experiencing. And you know, I'd formed some relationship with some of them, and I told them, I said, I can do what I can do for you, which is I have a podcast, I have a platform. I would be happy to put out whatever you want the world to know because I can be that channel for you if you're comfortable enough. And they were so on board with it, because they felt like they'd been silenced everywhere else. So I started going up there and recording them and one of the things that's really helped, I think is being able to bring them into the rooms that I'm teaching in any sort of workshop, any sort of converse, and also on the podcast, because it shows that the problem is still existing and it's not people that have left the church that are out to get the church that are sharing these stories. Now we have people that are on the inside confirming that reaffirming, and it's very hard for people to silence those people versus those of us that have left, right, And so I feel like that's helped a little bit as far as shift that perception. And I've seen it, like in the last two years, like if a news article comes out, there's far less people trying to protect the brand, and there's a lot more people that are aware of what's actually really happening. And that's very much changed over the course of a few years.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, And well it sounds like you're instrumental and contributing to that change.
Speaker 1: So hell yeah, it's been.
Speaker 4: A journey, but it's been really rewarding. You know. I started doing these underground women's meetings a year and a half ago because I recognize these women they need to be supported, but they need answers. They need education from the people that can educate them, federal officers, people that they can trust within a state agencies and then local victim advocates, lawyers like everybody that can actually really help them answer their questions so that they have the autonomy so that they can stay safely in the church and if it doesn't feel safe, they have options and they know what to do. So it gives them the power versus them feeling like they're in the church and they have nobody that's out there listening to them.
Speaker 1: It's really helped, I believe amazing.
Speaker 6: Well, where can people find.
Speaker 4: Your podcast so they can find it on all the platforms I think except for SoundCloud, I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't figure that one out.
Speaker 4: But so look at the Plane People's Podcast, and I also have a website playing People's podcast dot Com. I started a substack that's called the Plane People's Project where I share more documents as crimes are coming out to kind of like show behind the scenes of the stories that are coming out. And on Instagram too. The Plane People's Podcast awesome. Thank you so much for coming on and telling us all of this important stuff. Sharing your story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: And that's all we have with Jasper.
Speaker 2: Big things to Jasper for joining us Megan, do you have any thoughts on this episode.
Speaker 5: I think it's really cool that Josper's mom took her to therapy outside of the community that they were so involved in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty brave in the context of a community like that, I think so often that wouldn't happen just because of what the consequences could be for the parent or for the kid.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, and so often, like her therapist, you know, she said, was incredible and wasn't going up against her beliefs started telling her what to do or anything like that. But I remember having been sent to therapy for my own eating disorder and them just kind of being like, what what.
Speaker 1: Is your family I believe that, you know? Oh right? Wow?
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So not to discourage anybody from going to therapy if they're afraid of getting their beliefs questioned.
Speaker 2: But well, you know, just a quick callback to the IXA conference again that I went to the other week, because there were a lot of survivors there and a lot of therapists and some people who were both who went into therapy because of their experiences, who were talking about how difficult it was to get appropriate therapy because there aren't enough people trained in the consequences of course of control and what that looks like psychologically and what you know how to treat it right, which is you know, yeah, it's just a specific thing, and religious trauma is a specific thing, but emerging from a closed system is like a very unique therapeutic thing to tackle. Yes, that's why it's like, so it is so important to try to find somebody who has some language for that stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and perhaps won't attack the system when you're not ready for it to be absolutely absolutely yeah. And that was the big theme of the weekend too. I mean people just continue to say how important that was for them. Well, very interesting stuff. Thank you so much, Josper for coming on. Remember to go rate us five stars, leave us a comment if you like us, and as always, remember to follow your gut, watch out for red flax, and never ever trust me.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 2: This has been an exactly right production hosted by me Lola Blanc and Me Megan Elizabeth. Our senior producer is Gee Holley.
Speaker 6: This episode was mixed by John Bradley.
Speaker 5: Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain, and our guest booker is Patrick Kuttner.
Speaker 6: Our theme song was composed by Holly amber Church.
Speaker 5: Trust Me as executive produced by Karen Kilgareth, Georgia Hartstark and Danielle Kramer.
Speaker 2: You can find us on Instagram at trust Me podcast or on TikTok at trust.
Speaker 1: Me coult Podcast.
Speaker 5: Got your own story about cults, extreme belief, our manipulation, Shoot us an email at trustmepodat gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Listen to trust Me on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts