Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: The youngest. Hiam's sister, Alana, started playing music with her older sisters Danielle and SD when she was just four years old. Back then, the three of them were part of their family band Rockenheim, playing charity gigs all over la in the valley where they grew up. After high school, Danielle was jamming and Laurel Canyon when Jenny Lewis spotted her and invited her to join her touring band. Not long after, she hit the road again, this time playing guitar and drums for Julian Casablancis. But eventually Danielle came back home, but did to start a band with her sisters. In twenty twelve, Hyam dropped their first EP, Forever, to critical acclaim. Pretty soon they were opening for a listers like Taylor Swift, Rihanna, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. On today's episode, Lee ro sits down with Alana, Danielle, and st to talk about their new album I Quit, co produced with longtime collaborator Ross Them. The album dives into the highs and lows of single life in your thirties. The sisters also share why they still think like an opening band even when they're headlining stadiums in the moment they realize as kids that not everyone was growing up playing in the band with their parents. This is broken record, real musicians, real conversations. Here's Lea Rose with him.
Speaker 3: So I want to give you guys an opportunity to go really deep on the new album.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, I've.
Speaker 3: Been listening to it, and I just want to say up top that I think the songwriting on the album.
Speaker 5: Is really really strong, thank you.
Speaker 3: And I was reading through the lyrics and I feel like it's like reading a really great short story where you I know where the writer like, I know exactly what the writer is going through, and I feel like the production around it is so strong and it's really complimenting the writing. And I think you guys have done a fantastic job on the Yeah, it's been so great. So let's talk about the first song on the album, Gone.
Speaker 4: Does this?
Speaker 5: Do you see this sort of like.
Speaker 3: When you were sequencing the album? Do you see this as sort of setting the tone for the entire album?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So when we started writing this song, it was actually towards the end of the album process, and I think, you know, we as sisters were talking about like what's missing from the story, what's missing from a sonic perspective, And I think we were listening to a lot of the Beyonce Cowboy Carter album and just loving the way that she was mixing all of these samples and referencing things that I think she's always done and it's something that we've always really love in.
Speaker 4: Certain songs, and we've never done that, we've.
Speaker 6: Actually so the sample and question is a sample from George Michael's Freedom ninety Freedom ninety.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: I was so excited when I figured there out.
Speaker 6: I was like, yes, We're such huge fans of George Michael. Has always been faith like has been a touchstone in the high and like Sonic universe since the beginning. And so I remember feeling like, Okay, we we I feel like we need a track one. We need to like bring the listener in story wise, and how do we how do we do that? What's the kind of feeling that we kind of want this track one to evoke?
Speaker 4: And it was this kind of like.
Speaker 7: Freedom, you know, And it was a I think when I went into the studio, and first of all, we were at the point where like Rosson was like we have the album.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we were like, keep going right the album. It means that there is one more song in you.
Speaker 8: I feel like anytime that sentence is uttered in the studio, you have one more.
Speaker 4: You always have one more. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you guys feel like exhausted by this process? Is it like pulling teeth like getting the songs out or do you have more than enough?
Speaker 6: Oh? Getting the songs out is I think the most fun part. I think finishing songs is a bit tougher because we just really want to perfect the production, I think, but we've been a little bit more looser about that.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, like less precious, less precious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, great for us.
Speaker 3: And for my mental Yes, and I feel like the I'm jumping ahead, but I feel like the last third of the album things sort of change. Was that something I mean, do you think that's accurate? And is that something that was sort of I also saw Rostam post about it and say track eleven, twelve, and thirteen are different from anything you've ever heard from Higham.
Speaker 4: I have to look at the sea.
Speaker 5: They can tell you what they are say.
Speaker 4: They are crying, spinning and baby blood on the street. On the street.
Speaker 5: It's try to Feel My Pain, Spinning and.
Speaker 8: Cry, Yeah, try to feel my pain. Yeah with specifically with Cry and Spinning. I think what he's explaining is that it's the first time on any High album that I'm singing lead on Spinning as he's singing lead on Cry, which we've never done before, and those songs actually came very like. The thing that's amazing about working with Rossam is it's like he's he's like a cheerleader. He's up for anything, like there's no there's no bad ideas. And I think making Spinning it was like a funny day where I was like falling in love with somebody that I wasn't supposed to fall in love with.
Speaker 4: Now in hindsight, I'm like, why did I fall in love with this person?
Speaker 8: But it's that like ooey gooey first like three weeks of like starting to detect someone and starting to talk to somebody, and I was like fully in this like rabbit hole, falling down this rabbit hole, and.
Speaker 4: We decided to write a song about it.
Speaker 8: The relationship did not last, stockingly did not last.
Speaker 4: But it was so fun.
Speaker 8: I mean, just to side it, he was like, let's you know and honestly, up until the last couple of weeks of the album, like I was like, we didn't. I was like, I don't I love this song? Does it fit on this album? And it felt like where it was in the sequencing it kind of fit having Cry and yeah, I'm.
Speaker 4: Very close to their like little sisters too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but yeah, it's different, different stuff. Trying to think we still you know, we still try new things in this band.
Speaker 3: How do you guys feel about singing lead? Is that something that you wanted to happen before or how do.
Speaker 8: I mean, honestly, we'll see how it goes live. It's gonna be great. No, it's it's all that I mean. I honestly, sometimes I look at Danielle and I'm like, I don't know how you do this.
Speaker 3: Like I was playing the guitar at the same time, I was thinking.
Speaker 4: Like Danielle can sing lead.
Speaker 8: Danielle sing lead, you know, see like on a unicycle at this point, like yell it.
Speaker 4: Like I look at her and I was like, I do not know how you do this? All the time, yes, because it's I mean, I'm in ah, my little sister, I'm a little sister. That's an but it's definitely something new.
Speaker 8: It's a new it's a new feeling that I never was like striving for, but happy that it happened. But there was never a point where I was like I want to sing lead.
Speaker 4: I'm like anything.
Speaker 8: I was like, roth, I don't want to, like Danielle will sound better on this song, and everybody collectively like, no, it's good, it's good, it's good. But no, there was like never a point where I was like trying to sing lead. If anything, I love giving it to Dinyelle.
Speaker 6: But also that's a testament to that Like ross Dam, we were just trying new things in the studio and he always is so open to that, which is really nice to have and a producer.
Speaker 4: And I love how cry came out. I think it's such an important part on the album. It's fun. It's fun to write too and not.
Speaker 1: I mean when you listen to the song and you listen to the what the sentiment is, you wouldn't think it would be fun, but it was really.
Speaker 4: Is it fun because it's cathartic?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was fun because like I was, I think I'd been holding in a lot of just this feeling of like being tired of crying so much about things that had happened to me, and then wanting to just kind of be done with the tears and to be moving on into something that you know, didn't make me cry tears of pain anymore, and more tears of joy.
Speaker 4: Totally, yes, less oily, more joy, you know.
Speaker 1: No, So I in the studio it was, you know, I'm really lucky that Danielle and Alana can they can kind of tell when I think we can all kind of tell when we come into the studio and something's up. Yeah, And I think that day in particular, I'd gotten a text message from an X and I was feeling really really emotional about it.
Speaker 4: And they knew.
Speaker 1: Without me even saying anything, that something was wrong. And the second they said that, I immediately burst into tears because they they you know, they can without even like just a look, they know exactly what's going on. And so I think the lyrics just kind of fell out of of all of us.
Speaker 4: I think that we've all kind of been there.
Speaker 1: Then. Yeah, it's to the Lana's point, it's going to be interesting seeing it live. But I think I think all of us, I think with the songs that we do, we kind of are transported. Whenever we're singing them, we're transported almost back to the place that.
Speaker 4: We were when we wrote it.
Speaker 1: I think there's definitely been times, I think, when all of us have cried on stage at the point, and I think a lot of that comes from, you know, kind of reliving the place that.
Speaker 4: We were when we wrote it, when we.
Speaker 1: Were experiencing it, and I think it's a it's a blessing in some ways.
Speaker 4: It's also it can be kind of fucking rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't you know, it doesn't deter us from wanting to play them live and wanting to tour, which is the good news.
Speaker 4: We like, you know, we still love playing live.
Speaker 5: I feel like that's a little bit rare.
Speaker 3: A lot of people I interview it sounds like they kind of hate.
Speaker 4: Being on the road. I know, it's just got comfortable.
Speaker 8: And I think it just goes back when we started High I'm Officially in two thousand and seven. We genuinely, I mean, we've been playing instruments together.
Speaker 4: Since I was four years old. We've been live since I was a baby.
Speaker 8: But when Hi I'm officially started in two thousand and seven, we always just considered ourselves a live band rather than a recording band, because we genuinely didn't have the knowledge of we would go into a studio.
Speaker 4: We'd like, save up all of our money for a year, go to a.
Speaker 8: Studio, sounds really great, and rehearsal we hosted for months, months, years, like literally we were rehearsed. We would make sure our parts were perfect, and we would go find a studio that we could afford, and we would have one day and in our minds, we have, okay, we have one day to record seven songs. Yeah, oh my gosh, if somebody can do that, like amazing, we could not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just we didn't have that.
Speaker 6: We didn't have the knowledge of I mean going into a studio and recording instruments even just like like no idea, you know, how do we just we didn't even know that we could refer and say can to the engineer, hey can we get this to sound like that?
Speaker 4: We just had no for knowledge or the engineer would be like, we'll do it in post. Yeah, like wech tells you that. That's like you can't me that.
Speaker 6: From two thousand and two twelve, when we finally figured out kind of what our sound was we were just play live, like every weekend, whatever gig we could get in La, we just played.
Speaker 8: And our goal in recording was just so we could play live. Yeah, because back in then, you wouldn't be able to get booked on gigs unless I mean I'm aging myself, but you had to have a my space, and what venues would do is they would go on your MySpace, they would look at you know, your track, and if they liked it, they would book you. And like we could not, I mean, to our credit, we always knew that the that.
Speaker 4: If we didn't like something, we didn't want to put it out.
Speaker 8: Even back in the day, even to get a gig, we were like, if it's not good.
Speaker 4: We can't do this.
Speaker 8: So there's not many I mean there are some please don't look at but there are some recordings that are out there. But really we thought that all we wanted to do is play. And even from our earliest gigs of like our first tours, like we were just so forever grateful to be out in the road because we would play like four people in LA and once we started toying, I mean my first tour, luckily Danielle was playing with Julian Casablancis at the time on his solo record, and he graciously gave us the opening slot for a couple of gigs.
Speaker 4: And I was in high school, I was seven, Like cool, does people think you were super cool for doing that? Yeah? I mean yes, well I thought I was cool.
Speaker 8: Finally for the first time, I think it was I had looked, I had looked at I mean, obviously the Strokes is such a you know, pivotal band in our musical upbringing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But going on.
Speaker 8: Tour at fresh eighteen, I thought, you know, this is it, this is gonna be my life. Didn't happen quite as fast as thought it was going to happen. But the just that first tour, like that first like taste of like we could play music together in other places, in other cities.
Speaker 4: Like our valley haunts, was mind blowing.
Speaker 8: And so every band that took us on tour, I mean opening, those few years of opening were the greatest years I think our lives, because it was just we were just so forever grateful that a band would take us out on the road and would want us to play.
Speaker 4: And still to this day, I'm like, I love opening. It's great. Yeah, and it seems like you're.
Speaker 3: Pressure build though, you know, because if somebody is there to see the big like whoever is the headlining act, Like do you feel like you have to win them over or do you guys?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's not going week. Yeah, it's not for the week, but you have to go in knowing I have. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think we still go out on like our own shows when we're headlining, like with the same.
Speaker 8: People are gonna leave after our opener. Now we're like, oh, we're actually here for us. But I think that's like beautiful, big Yes, I think we'll forever have big, big, open mentality because it's actually more fun that way. I mean, wee we did have always taken our live show extremely seriously and because that's also where we have the most fun.
Speaker 4: So recording has now kind of like caught up with it.
Speaker 8: I think now we're more comfortable in the studio and we have a lot more fun in the studio. But there is nothing like showing up to a city. You like wake up and you're in a new place. You like have to get your bearings, have to figure out what you're gonna do, and you play a show.
Speaker 4: It's like that first light drop still to this.
Speaker 8: Day, Like no matter where I am, what show when the lights go off, it's the biggest high I'll ever have.
Speaker 4: In my life.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of people struggle with like keeping that high going specifically.
Speaker 4: We're good. We've been touring for over what is.
Speaker 8: It well, almost fifteen years, Like it's.
Speaker 4: So crazy that it doesn't end.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's because you keep on going a new venues, Like it's just exciting.
Speaker 4: Nothing is ever the same, No tour is ever the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you guys hang out with each other when you're not like doing sound check or what's the like off dates, I get.
Speaker 9: In, I get in the car, and I leave off and go let those three individual buses were always Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're always together. We always always got together. Yeah, No, we're.
Speaker 8: All well because also it's like what I don't I'm also I have the worst sense.
Speaker 9: Of direction, Like I how did you talk about that?
Speaker 8: Like I am it's a hi am jokes Like every time I'm like you guys, we gotta go right, it's left Like I like me alone in the stace, even with like phone and a map, like I will get I will wind up somewhere, not like in a different state, like.
Speaker 4: They're like, how did you get that? So I'm happy to be with them all.
Speaker 2: Now. Time for a summer sit moment, brought to you by the Starbucks Coffee Company. One of the things I love most about summer are the summer songs. You know them, the songs that make you want to roll your windows down and drive just a little bit longer or walk a little bit slower to enjoy the moment. I mean, just thinking about some of the songs from last year, like Hot to Go by Chapelarone, Espresso by Sabrina Carpenter, and Nasty by Tanache make me so excited for the summer to come. Summer songs have become the unofficial soundtrack to so many of my summer memories, whether I'm on a hike, cutting them on local Starbucks, or just stuck in traffic pretending I'm somewhere cooler. These are the tracks I never get tired of. They sneak on my playlist every summer without fail. When you boil it down, Summer's about two things, trying to stay cool and trying to enjoy as much summer fun as possible. Luckily, I've found something that helps with both the Summer Burrier Refresher from Starbucks. Just take a sip at a second to cool down and then each summer moment. Years before Broken Record, I used to work at Starbucks, so I love seeing which seasonal menu items are now available. My favorite this summer is the Summer Berry Refresher, a bright blend of berry flavors all shaken with ice import over raspberry flavored pearls. This beverage delivers a burst of raspberry flavor in every sip. Being in Los Angeles, the summers can be brutally long and hot, so I couldn't wait to try this one out. And man, the beverage really is refreshing. The Summer Berrier Refresher is the perfect companion to cool you down. I promise I'm all in for the ice beverages at Starbucks. There's something about the first sip of something iced and refreshing that hits differently when the sun's high in the afternoon sky. I like to carve out a little moment of me time, so I swing by my neighborhood Starbucks, grab a drink and just be for a bit before I head into the studio to record Broken Record and especially now that summer is here, that ritual is even sweeter. I was very excited to see the Summer Barry Refresher return to the Starbucks menu and Broken Record host Leah Rose recently tried it too on her recent vacation back East Lea. What made you stop by Starbucks and pick up a summer berry refresher?
Speaker 5: So I tried the Summer Berry Refresher on a super super hot, humid Maryland day.
Speaker 4: I was sweating.
Speaker 3: We were lugging a bunch of stuff around, getting ready to go to the pool, and I saw Starbucks and to my husband, I'm like, pull over, pull over, poll over, I need to get this summer Berry refresher drink. And I got it, and it's so beautiful And the first thing I wanted to do was take a picture of it.
Speaker 2: And of course it looks nice, right, it looks nice.
Speaker 3: It looks so beautiful, the colors are so pretty, and it has those raspberry pearls. But I was so hot, I just like had to drink it immediately. I started drinking it. And the craziest, most unexpected thing about it is those raspberry pearls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're nice, A nice little touch They're.
Speaker 3: A nice touch, and they add more flavor to it, like each pearl when it bursts, it's like a whole different berry flavor.
Speaker 4: I was so into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just the texture of this is different, and it just makes that drink so refreshing nice. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: It was incredible and it immediately did the job. And I was so happy that I pulled over and got one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my kids love it too. It's hard. Now. I love my coffee, but every time I go to Starbucks, now I got to think about I'm I gonna get my coffee drink or I want to get my Summer Barrier Fresher. And you know, I'll be honest, like lately, the Summer Barrier Fresher is really winning. It's really winning that battle.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's the perfect summer drink. And it's funny because my whole family suddenly was fighting over it. My son wanted to try it. He wanted the raspberry pearls. My husband wanted to try it. So I ended up getting like a third of the drink.
Speaker 2: I know, you almost hate to drink it. It looks so beautiful, I know.
Speaker 3: Oh, and I didn't even get a picture of it because we drank it too fast. I need another one.
Speaker 2: The Summer Barrier Fresher is like the beverage version of a summer song, easy bright, maybe a little unexpected, but hits the spot and makes everything feel more like summer. It's become part of my rhythm. So if you're building your own soundtrack for the season, I'd also recommend adding a Summer Bearer refresher to your rotation. It's refreshing, travels well, it might just become part of your summer memory reel too. Your Summer Bary Refresher is ready at Starbucks.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry I laughed earlier when you said your relationship didn't work out, the one that you really.
Speaker 8: Honestly, my relationship that I've had has been a laugh so you can please please feel free to.
Speaker 4: Laugh at anything. Yeah, I didn't mean to laugh at you.
Speaker 3: I was just laughing because it reminded me of the line in the song relationships, where what is it?
Speaker 5: Fucking relationships?
Speaker 4: Don't they all end up this? Or they don't? What is it? Yeah?
Speaker 5: So it just reminded me of that, But I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: The depth of our soul, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So tell me about that song that's the first single right, first single single.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is actually the oldest song on the album.
Speaker 5: Okay is this someone That's in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 6: Started at Sean I wrote it. I started to write it on my phone on an airplane. We were going to Australia and I just opened up my garage band on my phone, which I've written started, not written like whole songs, but definitely started ideas on.
Speaker 4: I love garage band.
Speaker 6: It's what like superstitiously, I still write on garage band because that's what we started writing on in like.
Speaker 4: Twenty ten ten, right when we got your first when I got my first back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but having garage band like truly blew my mind.
Speaker 8: So I had on your phone is is even crazier?
Speaker 6: It's yeah, it's really awesome. And anyway, so I started, you know, this melody kind of came to me fucking relationship and I was like, wait, that's good. It's a good melody and it's a good lyric and that like you know, that kind of rarely happens. I feel when you get the lyric and the melody at the same time, it's kind of like it feels like.
Speaker 4: God is Yeah, something has been worldly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's harder for you guys, melody or lyrics.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say like harder. I think melody maybe comes a little quicker, really actually a lot quicker. Yeah, I think so that's amazing, a little bit more labored over and but yeah, melody, melody is like, melody is pretty quick.
Speaker 3: How do you know you're not just singing something that's already out there that you've heard.
Speaker 4: Oh, we've done that before. That's the best.
Speaker 3: Like you're like, oh, that's time after time.
Speaker 4: Like she if I sing something, you're like, no, that's this other song.
Speaker 5: But she knows her music knowledge.
Speaker 4: I think name that. I don't I want you to go and name that tune.
Speaker 3: Because there's a like shazamam, but it's I don't think it's sam every day.
Speaker 8: If I if you ever have that, like, why is that so all? You can literally hum it to Essie and she's like it's insane.
Speaker 4: Honestly, we've tested it. I'm a woman of many talent.
Speaker 1: That is like, that's very valuable, most proud of, most proud of artist, song title, sometimes album title.
Speaker 4: I don't have that.
Speaker 6: I I can't, yeah that I have acquired, but that doesn't stop us from I mean, I do it too. There was a whole.
Speaker 1: Period of time where everything I wrote sounded like Jurassic Park, the Jurassic Park.
Speaker 4: Who along as long.
Speaker 5: As have you just seen it?
Speaker 4: Williams Fan?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, you know, yeah, Yeah, I think melody, I think meland he is.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think they're both important. It's also just fun.
Speaker 8: You're in the studio and you're passing around to mic like it's very much like a group effort melody wise, like just throwing things.
Speaker 6: We actually start a lot of our songs from drum patterns or you know. That's actually a big high end thing where all drummers. First our dad is a drummer and taught us drums. He we had two drum sets set up in our living room growing up, and yeah, it was incredible and he really imparted his.
Speaker 4: Like drum percussion. Did the neighbors ever complain, I like, oh, no, they were lucky. They liked it. Yeah, they liked it.
Speaker 1: Which was when we had that We had one like a xylophone player on one side, like a he I think, wasn't he in like classic harmonic, classically trained?
Speaker 3: He was like?
Speaker 4: And then on the other side it was he was deaf. He was deaf. Yeah, he had a death neighbor.
Speaker 9: So so never like not having perfect for you guys, I know, I.
Speaker 6: Know he really lucked out actually because there was a point, you know, my dad loves collecting instruments. There was a point where it was like two drum sets, Timballe's, Longa's cow bells, so like we would all just be jamming. Yeah, my dad was obsessed with the recycler, which was which was Craigslist.
Speaker 4: Before Craigslist, it was like, oh, it was like a little magazine every week.
Speaker 8: And Mike okay, and this is obviously before you know, the Internet, so people didn't know what they had.
Speaker 4: So like my dad would get things at like crazy.
Speaker 8: Ten dollars, fifteen dollars, like collecting as many things that he could get. Yeah, my dad was like an original Craigslist hunter. Now but not now people know what they have. They can like hear how much things are.
Speaker 6: But my dad like a really rate early sixties Ludwig set, and because the church.
Speaker 4: Was selling all of them in Barstow, my dad drove.
Speaker 8: And cleaned out this lovely church that was selling all of their instrument gear.
Speaker 6: I ended up getting a great d W set that he still plays. That's really cool. But yeah, oh so he still plays.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he just played me just went to jazz best.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I saw your mom on stage with you guys.
Speaker 4: Y was our dad on the drum. Oh I didn't realize that. That's so cool.
Speaker 8: Rockenheim Before high there was Rockenheim and that was with my parents.
Speaker 4: That's so great.
Speaker 3: When you were kids and you were in the band, were you aware that your family was sort of different than like your friend's families and that I remember the.
Speaker 4: Moment that it happened.
Speaker 1: I mean, at least from I remember the moment I realized that we're we weren't normal.
Speaker 4: When I grew up thinking that every family.
Speaker 1: Had a family band, because why would I think anything different?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: And then I remember a friend of mine was like, s you do you want to go to the Fashion Square this weekend? And I was like, well, I have rehearsal, Like don't you have rehearsal on Saturday?
Speaker 4: And my friends were like rehearsal for what? And I was like with.
Speaker 1: Your band and they were like no, what. And then I just remember coming home and crying to my parents.
Speaker 4: Like we're weird and we're so weird. We are so weird, like mom and dad.
Speaker 8: The thing that was like amazing about rockehem so like my parents growing up.
Speaker 4: I mean again, we're from Los Angeles.
Speaker 8: So all we do is listen to the radio and in the car, in the car when you're driving, and there's this one specific station called KRS one oh one that would play. At that point, it was fifties, sixties and then only seventies.
Speaker 4: I disc go Saturday night. Yeah, Saturday, I was slurday, beach Saturday and do the dishes together.
Speaker 8: But the thing that was so cool is that, like my parents, what we would do is we would go home, we would put on KTH one on one, we would record songs to tape, and then my mom, like our earliest moments of like learning music, is my mom.
Speaker 4: Would figure out the Clark oh.
Speaker 8: We would teach us how to play it, and then we would listen to listen to it. I mean like I want to say, like seventy five thousand times, and we would write the lyrics down, so there were wrong lyrics wrong, like terrible, like it's lyrics all over the place. Because also this is again this is before we had internet. Yeah, and that's how we would learn songs. So like in learning in that we would like realize that a lot of these songs are like one four five, so like very easy, you know.
Speaker 4: Just open chords.
Speaker 8: That it was, you know, that's how we actually learned how to songwrite, is like from our childhood of listening to things.
Speaker 4: And learning things by ear. Oh yeah, but.
Speaker 8: Just that process of like hearing a song on the radio and then being able to play it myself was such an empowering feeling. It was so cool, so like even though yes, we thought we were weird, in the long run was extremely beautiful.
Speaker 5: And what was the aspiration for the family band?
Speaker 4: There was no outfit. It was zero asperts. Was it serious? Like it was it like they were serious in practicing.
Speaker 8: My parents were very They would always tell us like, if you want to do this, you have to practice.
Speaker 4: There is no bands.
Speaker 6: But also they were very you know, the whole point was to play for charity, charity, so we would probably book you know, I think it was four gigs a year, yeah, for different charities, and then we would go and perform.
Speaker 4: But it was very much like, all right, we're going to book these, but if.
Speaker 10: We're going to book them, we're going to practice, yeah, and then I mean families go camping.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we play music. We play music, but again, like I don't my parents always like hey when I say this, like early days high and when I was like very young, like we.
Speaker 4: We were not great. Like it's not like we were like killing it. We were so like.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just as like a wide And also thank you to anyone that ever saw us play like it was you know, it was not we thought that it was cute.
Speaker 4: It was probably adorable. It was so cute.
Speaker 6: And it's also funny, like my parents never have written they're not song writers. They don't they've never written the song before, but they were once we kind of were like maybe we should write on there.
Speaker 4: Very supportive, but it's not like they even knew. No, they don't. We played straight covers, you know, and being a cover band, I mean.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was fun. It was so fun. But yeah, no, there was no like let's write a song together. My parents had no you know, they didn't know.
Speaker 1: They were like, we're going to college. They're like, good grades, you're going to college.
Speaker 8: Me and the other like you're getting a job because me and Danielle couldn't get into college, so as he's a smart one.
Speaker 4: I got I got out and I graduate. I did you did? That's so great? Yeah, older sister doing it.
Speaker 3: How how does your birth position, like I don't know if you've guys seen like studies on like the oldest child usually has these traits or does these things?
Speaker 4: Middle child for the fish child.
Speaker 8: Yeah, by the birth I'm it's hilarious that you've brought this up because I recently have just been so obsessed with birth order.
Speaker 4: But I bought this book called the birth Order Book. Wait tell me, I don't know.
Speaker 9: Well, the funniest thing, I mean, it's like the same trips like the oldest, like the parents focused mostly on it because you're the first trial. Oh, they're like the hyperachiever, like hiperachiever, which honestly checks out, went to college.
Speaker 4: They're going and the leader for.
Speaker 8: The youngest, it's like they're the comedian, Like they're the ones that are like trying.
Speaker 4: They're like the most rambunctious.
Speaker 8: The thing that's the funniest about the middle times scary, No, but you're very No, you shouldn't be.
Speaker 4: Scared because it's honestly hilarious.
Speaker 8: But like there's two things that I thought were so funny, Like when I got to the chapter for middle child, they were like, there's not like to their stereotype. There's not much about the middle child that we know someone has really wanted to study a middle child. But the thing that I thought found so interesting that Danielle really, I mean, it changed our lives that she did this. But they said that the middle child, the first thing they want to do is leave. They want to leave, they want to find their people out in the world. Like I feel like oldest and youngest they stay and notoriously middle children leave. And that's very true to Danielle. Like when she was nineteen, immediately went on tour, started becoming a touring with for other bands, and it was kind of like this thing where she came home and had all this no I'm speaking for you, I'm sorry, but she came home and had all this knowledge of just touring. Like we thought that touring was out of our reach, like we, I mean, we always wanted to be touring musicians, but like it's like, how do you do that?
Speaker 4: We didn't know, And Danielle kind of fell into this group that was touring and it was really lucky. She really lucky and would come home be like this is what this is?
Speaker 8: And like there's this there's something called an agent, an agent, like this is what and she just came back and it was without her being the middle child and leaving, we would not be here today the explorer.
Speaker 4: That's so cool.
Speaker 3: So did what kind of questions did you ask her when she came home? Like did you feel like she had changed at all?
Speaker 4: I mean, if anything, it was just she saw the world. I mean, Didn'telle went he went to London. I went to Japan. I went to Japan. I'm like, oh my god, what is Japan?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 8: It was so exciting, Like she went to London for the flight time.
Speaker 6: London was huge because you know we were also such you know, we were in high school from basically two thousand. Well I started high school in two two thousand and then Alana graduated in twenty ten.
Speaker 4: So basically that era of music.
Speaker 6: For us was such a soundtrack, our soundtrack, and a lot of it came out of the UK.
Speaker 10: Or if it wasn't from being made by UK us, it was and artists that were embraced first in the UK, and then you know American artists that were embraced first in the UK like the White Stripes, which I can't believe it, but that ended up being ar trajectory, which like honestly, and when it was happening, we were just so in disbelief because we knew that that was like a trend, you know, Kings of Leon too, I think, like a trend that the UK kind of is so you know, forward thinking and yeah, so many American rock fans.
Speaker 6: So yeah, when I went with Julian Cosablancas to like London for the first time, and I had read up all about like you know, they signed a rough trade, like there was just so much war about the UK and the music scene, an Enemy magazine, you know, like all these like you know, going there for the first time I think it was in two thousand and nine with him, I like did.
Speaker 4: All the things.
Speaker 6: I also like went to Top Top I got them.
Speaker 11: From you know, I was like up with me on like clothes, you know, we were just just thee and I was like, yeah, like nineteen twenty and I was just like so so happy and could not believe my luck that I was doing what I always dreamed of doing.
Speaker 4: Like just like that when I would come home and I'd be.
Speaker 6: Like, oh my god, You'll never guess it was like backstage at like a festival, like yeah, Bostonbury, Yeah, who was I meeting? It was like a lot of like I think the Kings of Leon were backstage at some of our shows.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I would just say like hi, and then I would but like so starstruck and yeah.
Speaker 8: Y'all going to Glastonbury for like before, I mean way before we had even gone as high and was like the biggest ye crazy, were like what is it like like it was very much like water World. It's like I felt, yeah, how then really it's there And she would come home and I think that was like a huge starting point for us as a band, because Danielle came back and she was like, I think we can do this, and that was like the first and actually we always wanted him to be a serious thing obviously, but we needed her to come home.
Speaker 4: I just learned so much with her and also just and I also toured.
Speaker 6: With Jenny Lewis before the Julian Cosablancas band, and I just learned just so much about artistry and focusing on every aspect and just like truly, you know, Julian was so hyper focused on his vision and I just didn't know that that's what it took to be an artist. And I learned so much from him, like he was very very focused on certain things.
Speaker 4: And also Jenna let up the Strokes were so seems so effortless, like it.
Speaker 6: Seemed like they really Yeah, it seemed like it was like, oh, yeah, they just like waltz into the studio like drunk at three am.
Speaker 4: And record it is this it?
Speaker 6: And then you know, started to understand how it took them years to perfect their sound. By talking to Julian, I was like, oh, that's why we can't get our ship right in the studio, like we have no fucking idea. But yeah, it was we would not be sitting here without those experiences.
Speaker 4: And I'm boring to Jenny and to Julian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tory, yeah, I love that you talk about the hard work, because it does. It seems effortless with you guys too. And you also you always seem like you're having so much fun and you may seem real.
Speaker 4: I mean that is true.
Speaker 3: We are good time, yeah, but it seems easy too at the same time, but I know there's so much hard work behind the scenes and so much vision and you've been doing it for so long.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know it. Just having our ten year anniversary for Days Are Gone was very wild experience because it still feels like that album happened yesterday.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think we feel like there's so much more to come to and we're, you know, we are very ready to keep working hard and to.
Speaker 8: Keep Yeah, this still feels like even on our fourth album, it still feels like the beginning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're like the opener mentality.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Yeah, cannot get rid of it, cannot shake it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be back with more from him and Leah Rose. After the break, when.
Speaker 3: You were talking about your parents and back when you were in the family band, just thinking about the album and all the talk about relationships and being single or experiences in relationships, I was curious how the mythology of your parents' relationship, like how that has affected you all individually, Like maybe, I mean it.
Speaker 4: Is a lot of honestly, it's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 8: I mean you also have to like think about the time that my parents got together.
Speaker 4: My parents are still together. They love each other so much.
Speaker 8: Like it's honestly the sweetest thing like even when we're on tour and like my mom stays home to work and my dad sometimes visits us on tour.
Speaker 4: He'll be like, I need to call my wife. I'm like that goodest thing that was in my life. That's really right? Grow is that for you?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 4: Is that either mew at.
Speaker 8: The thirty three year old trying to find my perfect human like like my because my parents.
Speaker 4: Look they're not they're perfect for each other.
Speaker 8: That's so beautiful about it, is like, look, we're all flawed, we're all human. But like they had found their missing puzzle piece and they found it and in crazy circumstances, I mean, they were put together by friends.
Speaker 4: It ended up.
Speaker 8: Being you know, it's like the dream scenario, like I have a guy for you. The amount of times a friend is said, I have a guy for you. Let me tell you no, not find my missing puzzle piece here and.
Speaker 3: Your hopes get up every time, it's like, oh, like a little I mean, and.
Speaker 8: It goes back to a lyric in relationships where it's, uh, is it just the ship our parents did? Like the thing like my parents again, it's like you grow up being this these puzzle pieces fall in love.
Speaker 4: And then you.
Speaker 8: You you are now in the age of Okay, now it's time for me to find my miss missing puzzle piece.
Speaker 4: And it's not easy.
Speaker 6: But it's also like beautiful that like they work their at like their butts off when we were kids to provide for us too, and so it's also just like yeah, it's.
Speaker 8: Really they have just as much fun at him concerts as you do. I mean, the thing is is like I'm so extremely grateful that we had parents that were supportive, but it is finding finding your missing puzzle piece in this life is hard. We learned that we thought it was easy. We're like, oh, we grew up like you find your person, no hard and it takes a lot of work, which we also realize as well. But I think in relationship, when that's.
Speaker 1: Happened to your point, I think some day sometimes you wonder like why do I do this? Like why I know it worked for mom and dad, but like at the same time, why do we put ourselves through the ship. And I think that's also kind of you know, the sentiment and how we were feeling when we were making relationships was like, yes, it can be a magical, beautiful thing, but also like this fucking sucks, not easy, but yeah, we it's a lot to live up to with with our mom and dad because they really well they just ride each other, you know, they really ride for each other and that's you know, it's really a beautiful thing to see and God willing.
Speaker 5: They listen to your inner like all your everything.
Speaker 8: Really they find every I don't know how what Like, I'm like, I didn't even know they know they knew how to use a computer.
Speaker 4: I literally like it's news.
Speaker 5: But well, I think are just hi, Mom and John, I'm so supportive.
Speaker 1: I just think that No, I think that they're honestly just really stoked that like all three of us.
Speaker 4: Are doing something together. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think there was a time when Danyell went on tour and they were like, uh oh, you're like, what's gonna happen to Like what's coming back? She's not coming down? What has seen for us?
Speaker 4: And what are they gonna do? They need her?
Speaker 8: So I think there it's nice they think. I think they also always know where we are.
Speaker 1: At any point, and then we're gonna take care of each other and then we look for each other.
Speaker 4: So sweet, that is so so sweet.
Speaker 3: When you guys put out a new album, or when you record a new album, how deep do they get into listening to it? Like are they Yeah, it's so funny, Like they saw our show the other week and we were playing like new songs and like that that I've never heard of.
Speaker 4: We don't show.
Speaker 8: No, we should send them the album, though they they in the day that they don't need to hear it.
Speaker 4: I also just what I need. I needed. I don't want to explain some of the songs to them because yeah, it's kind of.
Speaker 3: Ye the song take Me Back, So on that song, you're reminiscing about old friends, past lovers, past experiences in life. I'm curious for each of you, what's the time in your life that you reminisce about most high school?
Speaker 4: I think it is high school.
Speaker 6: And that was something that really was happening during COVID, at least for me, I was like really like reflective about my high school experience.
Speaker 8: Well, also, I think it's because it's the first time that I think we were one becoming adults. And when Stie was a senior, Danielle was a freshman, and when senior I was a freshman, and we all went to school together at one point, and it was like the f when s he was a senior in Dnill was a freshman. That was right when you know, we were introduced to the east side, the echo, the smell, like all these uh venues and venues. And luckily my parents, I mean, it's a terrible rule. They should have never let us do this. But if we were together, we didn't have a curfew. But if we were, we had a curve.
Speaker 4: Feel well, they also knew that I would keep you in line.
Speaker 8: He was also like an incredible like sister, like older sister. Wo honestly would never let it was almost annoying, would never let us trouble.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 8: I mean, again the littlest child. All I want to do is get into trouble. As he didn't let me do anything.
Speaker 4: It was right.
Speaker 6: It was like a couple like those Those years were super formative.
Speaker 8: For us, as you got got her first car for ninety five Honda Passport.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we went to a public all arts high school, oh nice called Lochsa La County High School for the Arts, and it was just such an amazing place to learn and and.
Speaker 1: And then but then upon reflection, I think when we were writing the song, we were like wait.
Speaker 4: Did that happen? Yeah? We were like, there weren't a lot of rules.
Speaker 6: This at our high school was on a college campus and kids from all over LA.
Speaker 4: If you got in, you know, you got free art education. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So it was really incredible and met our best friends there, but also simultaneously, like a lot of crazy fit in Sue not yeah are kids without Rules?
Speaker 4: A lot of the names in that song are changed all up.
Speaker 8: I was curious, not Molly, there is that did actually happen? I was going to ask you that, Yeah, may Molly in quotations ticket ship in the back of a check that actually have Yeah, there was a an at our schools ticket ship in the back of the check.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what what what are you gonna do?
Speaker 8: But it was that day in the studio specifically, I think was so funny because it was us at Rossiam studio and our friend Tobias just so Junior was also in the studio. He comes in sometimes just like, you know, see what's going on, And since he grew up in Canada, I think we were both reminiscing, like what was going.
Speaker 4: On in Canada? And he's like, well, what was going on in La And we were.
Speaker 8: Just spewing these crazy stories and we were like, how do we fit this into a song, And I think we achieved it.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's one of.
Speaker 8: My favorite album and it really that song in particular, it was really like a healing, an inner child's moment, I think for us, and especially the end of that song is very special. Just naming all the streets that we used to drive down, smoking smoking cigarettes in SC's car and trying to make sure that our parents can't smell it were not easy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, loves a beenie and a lot of secret spread body like for sure our parents knew they were.
Speaker 4: We like all walked in smelling like bed bath and beyond or whatever. Yeah yeah yeah, or goat and bodyworks, body works, right, but yeah, send a sallad time.
Speaker 8: But it was honestly the time where I think all three of us as sisters, like finally we're in that sweet spot zone where like we went from being like children to like, oh now we're like we can hang out and like.
Speaker 4: It's like, is Alana going to be cool? Yeah? We bring you around people. Were you guys cool? Were you guys cool? Were you guys? Probably race? This got me my first bake ID.
Speaker 8: But The problem was I had braces, so like sorry, and I also now looking.
Speaker 4: Back, looked like a baby. Like io my idea.
Speaker 8: They had found this idea on the floor and it said that I was like twenty eight when I was like fourteen, Like there was I.
Speaker 5: Remember trying to like memorize the name in the app dress.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, and I see it would be like shut your mouth, don't open your mouth, you break your good in and I mean it worked. There were some very nice bouncers that let me in and we worked the second night.
Speaker 4: I turned twenty one. Like the amountains like nineteenth birthday at a bar.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and honestly, the like the only people that showed up were my siblings. I don't know what I was thinking because not fake ideas. So it was a little bit like my nineteenth birthday was at a bar.
Speaker 4: So cool it was. It was very cool, but high to reminisce about those times.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, I have to ask you before we have to go, I have to ask you about two more. I want to ask about farm. I love farm so much. How did that come about? That was all so real?
Speaker 4: Is it real?
Speaker 5: Is it a true story?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 8: But that song specifically on the album was the song that was happening in real time. We wrote it as things were happening. Actually in real time. Danielle had moved in with me, and I think you can kind of feel how current it was while we were writing it, like it was very much like a song that was for that moment. And I think that song is a very important part of the album just in the sense of, like, yes, like our whole ethos of this album is we were all single making the album. We were all having a good time individually and also together, and it was this fun like going out meeting people. And I think the Farm is that moment of the album where you're human and reflect it and you are reflecting on things and you're alone in the house and you're realizing, you know, that moment of all these emotions rushing over you and I feel like, I'm thank you for bringing up the Farm. It was all that one was a very emotional song just in general to record.
Speaker 4: I love it so good. Where are you all at now?
Speaker 3: Do you feel like you've moved on and you're in a different place or is everyone still in the same place where you're like fuck everything, I quit? You know, like, are you that same energy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I quit as a like ing your power energy.
Speaker 8: Okay, so we are not looking at I quit as like a negative thing. I think honestly maybe this album with Super that's why I.
Speaker 4: Have a big smile on my face and yeah, I'm happy about it.
Speaker 8: No, it was like this realization that quitting is actually not a negative thing. You're betting on yourself and it is fitting that you're starting. So I quit is for all everyone that's trying to, you know, get their power and having an uninhibited summer and going out and raging.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's that. It's really funny.
Speaker 8: The other day, I like picked up Women in Music Part three, and this is how I know that, Like I've moved into a new chapters that like I was like, oh I pitched them, and I was like, this isn't where I am anymore. I quit is like we're in this I quit era. And I mean I love all of our albums. There is not one album that's another thing that I will say that is very comforting just for me just to like put a blanket of like how controlling me and my siblings are.
Speaker 4: Like there is not one song on any of our albums that we.
Speaker 8: Didn't love and it's so nice to pick up your albums and feel like they're completely you and no one had any sort of like you should do this song or this song or you should put this album.
Speaker 4: Like we were extremely very much.
Speaker 8: Everything had to feel right, and it's it's nice cause I'm sure there are probably some moments for other people where they're like, I wish I didn't put that song on this album, Like that is not a sentiment that we have album.
Speaker 4: So it's very exciting.
Speaker 8: This new album, this new era feels exactly where I want to be, which is really nice. Like now we can kind of put our album reins to rest, and our touring brains have now woken up and dealing with you know, what is our stage gonna look like? What's yeah road? Like that's the fun fun. Him is now coming back is nice. Horning him gets a little crazy, you know, we get touring him, we're out, We're doing it.
Speaker 4: It's happening, So we're really excited. Well, thank you ladies so much. I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for taking YEA So deep to the al munch Bye.
Speaker 2: An episode of description, you'll find a link to a playlist of our favorite high m tracks as well as their latest album, I Quick. Be sure to check out YouTube dot com slash Broken Record podcast to see all of our video interviews, and be sure to follow us on Instagram at the Broken Record Pod. You can follow us on Twitter at broken Record. Broken Record is produced and edited by Leah Rose, with marketing help from Eric Sandler and Jordan McMillan. Our engineer is Ben Tollin. Broken Record is a production of Pushkin Industries. If you love this show and others from Pushkin, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus. Pushkin Plus is a podcast subscription that offers bonus content and acute listening for four ninety nine a month. Look for Pushkin Plus on Apple podcast subscriptions. And if you like this show, please remember to share rate from the view us on the podcast. That are the music's by Handy Beats. I'm justin Richmond.