Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone. It is Tuesday, April fourteenth. I'm Amy Robot and I'm TJ Holmes.
Speaker 2: Well, somebody please tell me what the hell was going on with Katy Perry and Ruby Rose. I was almost dismissed. I didn't know what was happening. You're gonna have to get me caught up on this one. At my point, is this for real or what is just the Look.
Speaker 1: Here's the problem for I mean, look, it's a salacious headline. Yeah, Ruby Rose is known to make some accusations that are fairly wild. It doesn't mean that what she's saying isn't true, but it's pretty disgusting and Katy Perry felt like it was damaging enough that her folks put out a statement in reaction to refuting what Ruby Rose is allegend. It is a sexual assault, a sexual assault, and she.
Speaker 2: Describes a really gross sexual assault. I thought this was just a story that was the headline. There's going to be a social media back and forth. This sounds like a serious accusation against a big time star. We'll get more into that, but row you you brought that to my attention I'm sorry what is happening. So we will get into that, but we got a lot to get to on this tu It is Tuesday morning.
Speaker 1: Run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to make stops in the Bahamas and the straight up horror moves. We'll be making a stop at huts and yards. We'll be making a couple of stops in DC. But we do have to start robes once again with what's happening in Iran. We just want to give everybody an update. There's so much going on, different sides saying different things, So we're just going to kind of bare bones this thing for you this morning, let you know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so here, here's what we know. The face to face negotiations did not result in a deal to end the war with Iran, but we should point out that does not mean the negotiations have stopped.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's still some optimism that more talks could take place. New York Times reporting this morning that the two sides continue to exchange proposals, including ron offer to not continue its nuclear ambitions for five years now. Roads we know the nuclear ambitions are at the center of all of this. The US had apparently said twenty years and roades. A lot of people look at that and say, wait, that doesn't mean forever. That's just for a little while. So I guess, is this like any other negotiation. One starts with this number, one starts with the lower number, and then they meet in the middle.
Speaker 1: Is this where we all sounds like it. Maybe we'll land on ten. We shall see. But another face to face meeting is a possibility, according to administration officials. And then there's this blockade. So the US military blockade of the Strait of Horror moves went into place yesterday, and that was promised by President Trump.
Speaker 2: Don't know what impacts this will have on exactly how effective it is so far, but we are told that it did go in place. Meanwhile, this is the good news. The ceasefire apparently is holding between the US and Iran for right now. However, it had not been holding between Lebanon and Israel. Those two sides are actually going to have a meeting in DC today to talk about a possible ceasefire between those two places. And again I say Israel and Lebanon, this is really Israel going after Hesbalah, the Iran backed militia that uses Lebanon as a base.
Speaker 1: But anytime we can report that talking is continuing, that negotiations are ongoing, that is a good thing at this point. Now, next up on the run, a lot of news coming out of Congress. Not the news we want to hear that they've come to an agreement on reopening the government. But no, Instead we've got Eric Swalwell saying he's going to resign from Congress after being accused of rape and other acts of sexual misconduct.
Speaker 2: Everybody saw this story, really, it's been all the talk in politics for the past several days. But Eric Swalwell not just a congressman from California, but he was the top Democrat who was polling in the race to the next governor of California while he was accused by a former staffer of rape, an incident she said took place in twenty twenty four. He is now under criminal investigation for that, and while he saw the writing on the wall, has now decided he will resign from Congress, after already having said he was getting out of the California race. He put this out yesterday saying, I am deeply sorry to my family's staff and constituents for mistakes and judgment I've made in my past. I will fight the serious false allegation made against me. However, I must take responsibility and ownership of the mistakes I did make. Robes. We don't know he was facing an expulsion vote. He said he's going to resign. Don't know if that vote will move forward if he doesn't get out of there in time, So we don't have a specific day for when he's going to leave congress ship.
Speaker 1: That's right, and we should point out Swalwell is not the only one resigning from Congress. Texas Representative Tony Gonzalez announced yesterday as well. He didn't say he would be resigning. He used the word retire, hiring. He said he was going to be retiring from Congress. He admitted to that affair with the staffer who later died after setting herself on fire. Took him a long time to admit it, but once he did, he then ended his bid for reelection.
Speaker 2: And what's the that saying a distinction without a difference? Does it matter if he says he's retiring or resigning. He said he is retiring that specific language, Swolwell said he is resigning. They are both leaving Congress. Yes, why would they use different word? Does it mean something different? We don't know, But again no one has said when they're exactly leaving and rose.
Speaker 1: That is a big deal.
Speaker 2: Given that the numbers and the margins are so tight with the Republicans and their majority.
Speaker 1: Oh, every vote counts in terms of getting things passed or stopping certain bills from going forward. This is a big deal. And there is almost certainly a lot of negotiating and wrangling going on behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: All right, continue on the run here on this Tuesday morning. The American man held in the Bahamas after his wife disappeared on a nighttime dinghy ride has been released by police. No charge is five that's right.
Speaker 1: Brian Hooker had been in custody for the past five days, but authorities were facing that deadline to charge him or release him. So yes, he walked out of a Bahamian jail a free man last night. He has maintained from the beginning that his wife Lynette fell out of their dinghy during an early evening boat ride on April fourth. He said it was rough seas and high winds and it was just a tragic accident, all right. Next up on the run. Months after her death on a carnival cruise ship. Anna Koepner's teenage stepbrother has now officially been charged in her death.
Speaker 2: Eighteen year old Captainer was on a cruise with her family last November when she was found dead in her cab in Her body was under the bed covered with blankets and life jackets.
Speaker 1: The medical examiner determined that she died by asphyxiation, and federal authorities have now charged her sixteen years old step brother as an adult. They've just given initials th he's been charged with murder and this one was a little shocking aggravated sexual abuse. So there is a lot more to come on that story.
Speaker 2: I want to continue on this run now. And it was just Trump as a doctor. What is the big deal, everybody? That actually was President Trump's response to the intense and nearly universal condemnation of the picture he posted that depicted him as Jesus or at least a christ like savior.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so I haven't heard one person actually say, yeah, that looks like a doctor to me. No. No, yes. If you all haven't seen this photo by now, please please take a look at it for yourself. But clearly it is the president in biblical robes. Jesus like robes with light. It looks like power, divine power emanating from his healing hands over a sick man with angels above him, American flag eagles. It was this weird confluence of American pride and religious iconic imagery. It was blasphemous according to a lot of folks who felt like it was actually offensive and reprehensible that he would depict himself in this way.
Speaker 2: We're not paraphrasing. The President said this out loud yesterday. It was me as a doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he made a reference to the Red Cross because there was a nurse that was also depicted I guess off to the right with maybe a Red Cross emblem. But yeah, he was not a doctor. I think that that's just fair to say right now, and haven't heard anyone else back him up on that.
Speaker 2: But he did take it down after the outcry. This is something he rarely does, as off an outcry over stuff he posts. This one. It was loud enough and it came from everywhere. That was nobody defending him on this one. Continue on the run here on this Tuesday morning. Now, not that we were holding our breath, but we are not going to be expecting an apology e robes from the President to Pope Leo.
Speaker 1: That's right. A pope versus president beef that's been on display for the past few weeks exploded yesterday when Trump posted a lengthy and scathing criticism of Pope Leo. The criticism was then widely criticized by people from all corners, especially religious leaders. He had a day with religion yesterday.
Speaker 2: You know, he's had a couple of weeks. It was again, I've remind ourselves, it was on Easter that he said an entire civilization will die tonight.
Speaker 1: That was an Easter post. Like, if that didn't upset you, then he gave you another reason, Then he gave you another reason. Then he gave you. It really has been remarkable.
Speaker 2: So he went after the Pope, of course, and they're scathing social media post and he was asked about it yesterday and certainly said no reason. I stand by it all. And he essentially said, well, the Pope spoke out publicly against something, and I have the right to go back and criticize him. He spoke of him as if he was running against him for office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like a political rival versus a moral leader. All right, Next up on the run, let's stick with President Trump. Not a great day for him in court. This is unusual. He's done pretty well in court up till now. But he just had his ten billion dollar lawsuit against the Wall Street Journal dismissed, but he vowed to fight on.
Speaker 2: You had to be reminded of why he sued so many media organizations, but this was the one he did. Right after that drawing came out the birthday car that went into the birthday book for Epstein. They published a drawing, a crew drawing of a naked woman's body, and it had his signature on it. And he has always said it wasn't me. I didn't do it. I don't write like that. And he sued them over that, and now that has been tossed out.
Speaker 1: So yes, here's what the judge said. The judge said President Trump failed to show that the paper had militia's intent in publishing the article, which is what he would have had to have done with this lawsuit. The president says, okay, I'm gonna amend my lawsuit and then I'm going to refile it. So he is not backing down at all.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll stay with us here, folks on this. Why am I struggling with the Tuesday Tuesday?
Speaker 1: Because maybe we've just worked so much it doesn't feel like it ever stopped, or that we had a weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, it is Tuesday, I'm told we when we come back on this Tuesday, good morning, Ron an explanation of exactly what is happening between Ruby Rose and Katie Perry. Perry is facing a pretty ugly and detailed allegation of a sexual assault. We will explain. Also, we got the official list of this year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees. We have all but maybe two of them on our playlist. Also, we did sell you the see the NWNBA draft last night, and you remember UCLA won the national championship. It's clear why when you hear the record they set in the draft last night. And coming up my absolute favorite story of the day, an airline pilot decides to give himself a farewell.
Speaker 1: Stay here, welcome back everyone to this Tuesday morning run. And next up on the run, this is a doozy Katy Perry is responding to a social media post accusing her of sexual assault. Rose.
Speaker 2: Now, I saw the initial one and I didn't think much of it because it sounded so vague, but it came from Orange is the New Black actor Ruby Rose. Now, she put a post up in response to Katy Perry's post. Now, Katy Perry was at Coachella. She watched Justin Bieber perform. She just made a comment about his performance, not critical of it, just made a comment something funny. Ruby Rose took that opportunity to call her out for sexual assault.
Speaker 1: Robes, and that's how it all started. Yeah, she said, Katie Perry sexual assaulted me at Spice Market nightclub in Melbourne. Who gives a bleep what she thinks?
Speaker 2: And that was it in the moment, Like what in the world? So that was all I initially saw. I was like, well, that's vague, that's not a big deal.
Speaker 1: But Robes.
Speaker 2: Then she started talking and responding to a lot of fans who chimed in, and she gave some pretty gross details.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she describes an incident that she says happened nearly two decades ago, and then described the incident this way. She didn't kiss me, She saw me resting on my best friend's lap to avoid her and bent down. This is so gross, pulled her underwear to the side and rubbed her disgusting vagina on my face until my eyes snapped open and I projectile vomited on her. After I threw up on her, I told the story publicly, but changed it to be a funny, little drunk story because I didn't know how else to handle it. Later, she agreed to help me get my US visa, so I kept it a secret. But I did tell y'all she wasn't a good persons.
Speaker 2: Like specific details of something that's not I mean, that's gross, Like.
Speaker 1: That's an assault roams what you would.
Speaker 2: Never Okay, change the gender, I'll assault her and this story would sound Does it sound different for some reason?
Speaker 1: Because it sounds it sounds equally repulsive.
Speaker 2: But it's bizarre Robes. This is serious. This is an enormous international superstar who's being accused of something pretty heinous. Here are we supposed to be dismissive because it was twenty years ago? We supposed to be dismissive because it's Ruby Rose and she's made accusations that are unverified before. What are we supposed to do with this?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess we just have to listen to Katy Perry's response because she yes, and to your point, it was so serious that she felt the need to respond. I mean, a lot of times you just ignore this stuff, but no, Perry's team put out this. The allegations being circulated on social media by Ruby Rose about Katie Perry are not only categorically false, they are dangerous, reckless lies. Ms Rose has a well documented history of making serious public allegations on social media against various individuals, claims that have repeatedly been denied by those named. And this is really as she said. She said. I don't know if if Ruby Rose's girlfriend would be the only other voice if she claims she was there at the time, but if this was as long ago as it is purported to have been, it's just it's one of those unfortunate things where when someone makes that accusation like this, this detail that kind of sticks with you, whether it was true or not. Unfortunately, the damage is done.
Speaker 2: Man, all right, we'll continue on the run here now, Robe. How many on the lists now, this year's official Rock and Roll Hall of Famers? I think most of them we have in rotation.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know two of them.
Speaker 2: What is that Joy Division?
Speaker 1: New Order and Oasis.
Speaker 2: You know Oasis? I don't, Yes you do. Oh Wonderwall.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so funny. I love Wonder Wall. Okay, okay, I I don't know Joy Division New Order.
Speaker 2: But yes we have the list is what we're saying. We have eight new inductees into this year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And like we said, short, these are everybody knows these names.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Phil Collins, Billy Idol, Iron Maiden, Joy Division, New Order, Oasis, Shade, Luther Vandros, and Wu Tang Clan. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Joy Division and New Order are going in together. It's two different bands, but I'm really they're going in together because most members of the band were with both bands, but they lost their lead singer at one point and had to be replaced, and so they had a different name and different sound, but the main guys were still in place.
Speaker 1: So I thought that was cool. I looked it up and then I even listened to their most popular songs, and I have to admit I've just never heard them before, just not on my radar. But congratulations to everyone on earth.
Speaker 2: Isn't that cool? We learned something. We started listening to music from artists that we weren't familiar with. So for that reason it is did you say, Allo, Lutherman, Yeah, you sent them all. The ceremony is going to be in October. There was a ceremony last night. As we continue on the run here in New York, the WNBA draft took place at Hudson Yards Ropes of all places, last night, Azy Fudd went number one to Dallas. This is back to back years that Connecticut had a number one overall draft pick. She's going to Dallas, where last year's Yukon number one overall draft pick is as well. But the night went to UCLA set a record most players selected, most in the first round, five most overall, and one draft six and a reminder, they are the ones who won this year's national championship pretty handily.
Speaker 1: That's cool, and this amounts to bigger paydays at this point, oh.
Speaker 2: The new collective bargaining agreement. These young women are going into the league making half a million dollars four hundred, three hundred two hundred. Everybody who was drafted essentially is getting that these were folks who several years ago. I know there are some older players who are looking like what the hell because they would get drafted and make fifty grand a year. Wow, congratulations, congratulations, amazing because now little girls are playing basketball thinking they can actually have.
Speaker 1: A career a success, not.
Speaker 2: Just successful, but one that can be lucrative.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is cool. I love, love love I love that too. That's an awesome story. And now we will wrap our run with your favorite story of the morning. This is good. Yes, a commercial pilot being investigated for a possible unauthorized low altitude flyover of his hometown.
Speaker 2: Okay, this happened. This is an Iceland Air flight. Happened over the weekend. It was arriving from Germany to Iceland. It deviated from its standard arrival path and flew low over a town that was just off the host of Iceland. Now robes, why would he do this? Why would he choose and this is the favorite part of the store.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's this was a farewell flight for him. He is retiring and this was kind of a nod to his town, a nod to himself. And look, I understand that there are reasons why you can't do this sort of thing. What safety, yes, nope, noise violation, all of that, but look, this seems like it sounds like it was a remote area, right, it's a town off the Iceland coast. I mean, who was he really harming? Or Oh? I don't know. I think it's pretty cool just because.
Speaker 2: Nope, just because it worked out does not mean it's okay. Robes. Look, maybe us here in the United States got too many damn incidents going on with planes. I do not need my pilot deviating and taking a moment for personal reflection and goodbye. You gotta be kidding me. Now the reason he did it becomes hilarious, like really, bro just in a farewell, I'm you know what, I'm gonna buzz town. They said he hadn't made the announcement in the cabin of what he was doing, so the passengers were aware, but his airline was not. This is this is problematic.
Speaker 1: What are they gonna do. He's retiring.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they could pen a lie. I don't know if it's a crime he I don't know. He kidnapped people for a little while. It took them a place they weren't supposed to go.
Speaker 1: I say it's it's all great because A it ended well, and B I wasn't on the plane, got fair but.
Speaker 2: Rod, what about the next you gotta punish him? What about the next guy who's who wants to propose to his girlfriend and wants to just dip?
Speaker 1: Well, now we all know where Kid Rock's house is, so that's always a possible new flight deviation. There was nothing wrong, nothing happened to them.
Speaker 2: Why did you have to bring politics in it? We're having a good old time about a guy in Iceland.
Speaker 1: Just reminded me of another story, just from a couple of weeks ago. All right, on this Tuesday morning, we have your quote of the day today. Hey, don't make yourself small for anyone. Be the awkward, funny, intelligent, beautiful little weirdo that you are. Don't hold back, weird it out. I just like this. I think we're always trying to curate ourselves, whether it's on social media or just try to present the best image of ourselves or what we think other people want to see from us. Sometimes being authentic, not Sometimes being authentic is the best way to be. You'll know who your friends are.
Speaker 2: Were we just having this conversation the other day? Have yes, wasn't it wasn't? I just getting onto you and that you have a tendency. Sometimes I'm not, yes, not egregious or anything, but this reminds me of the stuff you always point out to be about little girls. This quote essentially saying be like a six year old girl.
Speaker 1: Correct. And that is why this spoke to me, because we have had those conversations. Just one day, if y'all have just a moment to sit and watch people just we've said this, but you I there is a beauty and a joy in little girls ten years in under because they aren't self conscious of what their body looks like, or what their body is doing, or the facial expression they're making, what their hair looks like. They're wild and they're free and they're happy. And I just I saw this quote and it made me think about it.
Speaker 2: Consistently, we sit out and look at crowds of people, without a doubt, the happiest people we see are girls under the age of ten HPI.
Speaker 1: And you know what, we can all find that inner joy by doing this. Don't make yourself small for anyone. Be the awkward, funny, intelligent, beautiful little weirdo that you are. Don't hold back. Weird it out everyone, And with that, thank you for running with us. I'm Amy Roboch and I'm TJ Holmes.
Speaker 2: Y'all go weight it out today.