Speaker 1: On this week's episode of Cultivating her Space. Your name carries energy before you into a room, and eventually who you are will matter more than how impressive you looked online or even just from the outside right, like from seeing you as superficially.
Speaker 2: Yes, and reputation can change. Like we said before, reputation can change, but character is the thing that's generally constant in us. Hey, lady, have you ever felt like the world just doesn't get you? Well, we do.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Cultivating her Space, the podcast dedicated to uplifting and empowering women like you.
Speaker 2: We're your hosts, doctor Dominique Brussard and educator and psychologists.
Speaker 1: And Terry Lomax, a techie and transformational speaker.
Speaker 2: Join us every week for authentic conversations about everything from fibroids to fake frind As we create space for black women to just b Before.
Speaker 1: We dive in, make sure you hit that follow button and leave us a quick five star review. Lady, We are black founded and black owned, and your support will help us reach even more women like you.
Speaker 2: Now, let's get into this week's episode of Cultivating her Space. It's doctor dom here from the Cultivating her Space podcast. Are you currently a resident of the state of California and contemplating starting your therapy journey. Well, if so, please reach out to me at doctor Dominique Brusard dot com. That's d R D O M I N I q U E b R O U ss ar D dot com to schedule a free fifteen minute consultation. I look forward to hearing from you.
Speaker 1: Of the day.
Speaker 2: The reality is people are human. People make mistakes, but we also have to learn how to protect ourselves, trust ourselves and move with wisdom. All right, I'm gonna say that one more time for the folks in the back. The reality is people are human. People make mistakes, but we also have to learn how to protect ourselves, trust ourselves and move with wisdom.
Speaker 1: Aim into that. Listen what comes it? Is something coming up for you around the quote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, it's I mean, I feel like it's self explanatory. But I think the thing that I want to emphasize is we are human like from the person that you think the most about that you have on the highest of five pedestals. And we talked about pedestals last week. If you haven't listened the last week's episode, pause this one. Go listen to the last week's episode and then come back to the person that you think the worst of and everybody in between. We are all human.
Speaker 1: That's it, Mike Drop, All right, let's get into it. So last week we started a very important conversation about reputation, character, integrity, and why our reputation matters more than ever, especially in this age. And honestly, that conversation, it was so it was so rich, and it we kind of went deeper than we expected, and so we wanted to come back with the part two. So, as Dom said, if you have not listened to part one yet, go back listen, check it out, and then join us here. But today we're going to dive into discernment, and we're talking about knowing how and who to trust, accountability without dehumanization, and what it means to leave room for growth in a world where people are constantly again they can put on pedalstols and publicly torn down because like you said, Dom, yes we all make or yes, we're all human and we make mistakes and it is still important for us to protect ourselves. Like just because someone it's just so much nuance there, right, like, yes we are human, Yes we all make mistakes, and if someone's a repeat offender and they keep doing the same thing over and over, or they show you their character or who they are or who they are deciding to be on a consistent basis, we need to make some decisions, right And so we're gonna talk right about We're going to dive right into how to know who to trust because it's getting tough out here in these streets right with AI. And I was telling Dom that I saw this video on the use of Tube and the YouTube where it was like an ad and it was it looked like Oprah, But I just you know how AI right now still has that funny it's like a little little funky voice to it. I knew it wasn't Oprah. We many of us have watched Open since we were kids. I know it was an open but they were promoting a product with her likeness, and I was just like, how is this legal? Number one? It's probably not, so I don't know how they're doing it, But that's that's pretty scary.
Speaker 2: It is really scary. And I think the thing is is that even with the rise of AI taking over people's image and likeness, even outside of that, even before that, it was still important for us to understand how to trust the people around us that we interact with in real life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So for me, when I think about like the people who are trustworthy, right, I know that I can trust you if you are consistent, if and consistent. And here's the thing I want to say. With that consistency, you can be consistent at being shitty like you can be a not so good person. You can treat people not you cannot treat people well. Yeah, and if that's what you consistently do, I trust that I trust you. Trusting you doesn't mean that I agree with you, that I actually or that I like who you are. What it means is that at least in this consistency piece, I can trust. I can trust you in that your behavior's behavior that I don't rock with because you're consistent with it. Right now, the type of trustworthy people that we want to spend time around insistent in the good things that they do. They admit to their mistakes, They treat people well in private, They are open to accountability, they don't need to perform this level of superiority in line with that, they have humility, and they have alignments in their words actions and values.
Speaker 1: Those are good. Yeah, I like that. I was just gonna say from what you shared, they were all really great. And the one that really stood out to me and think about personal experience is people who do what they say they're going to do right, Like you know what to expect. I know that you're accountable but also dependable. And I think this is a great time for us as individuals, like as humans in this day and age, to think about what makes me trust someone, because when you see that inconsistency right, or you see the consistency in the wrong areas, then you know that, oh, let me make some moves. Because we talked about the some previous episodes. Now maybe I'm traumatized, but I'm thinking about a certain situation of someone who looked good. They were fun to be around, there was a good time. I had a good time we them, if you know what I mean. But they were consistently inconsistent and their words did not match the actions. And so I think sometimes we can get emotionally and I'm not just talking about relationships, but this could this could be you know, it could be anything. Right, we get emotionally invested into something and even when we see those green flags are not there. We're still just like I'm moving ahead. I'm just going to keep on going right, And a lot of times there are consequences to that, right, and I see them. Got to be right one hundred percent of the time. But when we don't follow that good or you know, something something doesn't feel right here, we end up having consequences ultimately because of because of those things.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And I think the thing that I you know, a couple of others that I want to add to this is a person. We can tell that a person is trustworthy when they're also when they're open, right, So they are open to feedback. Doesn't necessarily mean that they like the feedback, right, That's a difference, but they're they're open to it. They're they're open to new like new experiences. They are open to vulnerability. Though, to me, those are other signs that a person is trustworthy. Do are they ethical in how they behave right? Are they kind and respectful and caring to the people around them? How do they treat people that have that they have nothing to gain from?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Those are good, Those are great. I love them. And then we're going to talk about some red flags. Okay, so and again, I think we're kind of giving you just ideas on what we value, but you have to think about what you value because you might we may have differing perspectives. But I know a red flag for me is like an overmanaged identity, right, like always obsessing about perception but not really focused on the substance, right Like I know many people who are like, oh, everything has to just look. And don't get me wrong, I like to think to look a certain way, but I also like to be able to make sure what's below the surface is also in order. And so people who are just constantly, you know, obsessed with that outside image but not necessarily what's happening behind the scenes, you know, so committed to looking good but not necessarily being good whatever good is. Of course, I would say always performing expertise to someone, all always needing to be you know, sounding right, or always just not being able to admit like I don't know, you know, it's like you ever see you ever talk to someone and they just pull you see them, they just pulling shit out their ass, they just poured out and you're like, I know what you're saying, some bullshit, but you just because you can't say that you don't know, you just got to make some shit up. Yeah, And it's like I don't trust it like that, I don't sit right with me right, lacking accountability what you talked about before, like always being a victim or blaming other people and ability to apologize, and in interpersonal relationships time I will. In a particular relationship, I asked the question, like, what areas for improvement do you have? I think that's a very interesting question to ask someone just to see what comes up. How do you see yourself right? Like are you always right? And the person answered answer the question. I was just like, yeah, I don't know. That seems like a red flag, like you don't have nothing, you have nothing you can improve upon every everything that went wrong in other relationships was always the other person. I don't know, Yeah, I don't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Inconsistency. We talked about this a bit, but treating people smaller or people who can't who don't appear to be able to do you any good or benefit treating them poorly. I mean that right, there is a huge red flag to me, like, yes, what are we doing right?
Speaker 2: And I think you know and I think the thing to remember is that it's about paying attention to the patterns, yes, and not like looking for the patterns and not like one offs, right, because again, we are all human. They're there may be someone who is truly trustworthy that consistently admits to mistakes. They treat people well privately, but then they have one day, one moment where they don't take accountability for something, like you're pointing out something that they didn't do well or where they might have hurt your feelings, or you know, you're pointing something out to them, and in that instance, they're not taking accountability. Right. Does this mean that now all of a sudden we can never trust this person? Not necessarily. Let's step back and look at the look at the person as a whole. What's their general pattern. Do they generally take accountability for things? Are they generally a consistent person, or are you still just getting to know them. There's not been enough time for you to make that decision whether or not they truly are trustworthy, And so now you have to hold off on making a decision about their trustworthiness because this is maybe this is the first instance where you've asked them to take accountability and they didn't do it because we don't have enough time with them, and this is the first instance. We don't know if this is how they normally get down.
Speaker 1: But it's like a mental note, you know, right, right, proceed with caution, yes exactly. I want to get your perspective on something. I just thought about this. So the other thing I want to say first is the other thing to note, tire, is that everyone is not going to be your cup of tea, and you're not going to be everyone's cup of tea. And that's okay, Like it is okay for you to see someone's content or to hear someone's perspective and be like, oh, okay, that's interesting. That's a different perspective. I don't really that doesn't seem like my person or my people, you know, like my vibe. Right, So probably not going to file them, Probably just skip that content. So speaking of that, I saw this guy. I'm not gonna say ny names. I don't even know this man's name, but hopefully this doesn't become a thing. But it's just something I saw social media that thought was very interesting and I'm going to dive into it. So basically, I saw this guy and I'm gonna give you a summary of what he said at this conference. I think it was like a relationship panel or something, and he was stating that he how some women they think they're special because men treat them a certain way. And what he was saying is like, I bring everybody to meet my mom, I bring everybody to meet my kids. I take everyone to Paris. I suck everybody's told everybody booty Like he was just going in like all the things he does. He's like, I do this to everybody because I'm rich and blah blah blah, and there was more to it, but and hearing that perspective, I saw some woman commenting on that, and they have perspectives. And as someone who I think, I've seen this content before, and from what I saw before, I thought was content. From what I recalled, I thought it was like decent content you just scrolling. But after hearing that perspective, there's a couple of things. One it seems like he was being radically honest, which is like, hey, if that's how you get down, that's how we get down too. Something about it was just like ugh, like it was just like I don't know something about it just didn't. I can't put my finger on it, but it didn't sit well with me. I was just like, okay, And so that's an example. I want to see what your perspective is on just that whole interaction of like scrolling seeing someone, this is what they share? What do you? What comes up for you?
Speaker 2: And you hear that dom So the first thing that comes up is I need more I need more context on how they engage in other situations, right, and before I make a judgment on who they are, whether or not they're a trustworthy person, right, Because I think that's the question that we're asking, like is this person trustworthy? Right? In terms of like the comment that he shared about dating and treating every woman the same. My initial thought is that in as society, in dating culture, a lot of US millennials and older, not so much gen Z millennials, because gen Z has been shaped differently. Right, Millennials and older, we were socialized to believe that a man is going to treat the woman that he wants to marry, that he intends to marry in to at a higher standard than he's going to treat other women that he dates. Yeah, and so I could I can understand where, oh, he treats everybody equally, everybody exactly the same. I could see where that may feel problematic hearing it right, I'd be curious though, One, if he actually does that, h right, Like, that's my first point of curiosity. Does he actually treat every single woman the same?
Speaker 1: And two?
Speaker 2: If he treats every single woman exactly the same, are we then saying that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Are we saying are what is the judgment that we're making on his trustworthiness if he's treating every woman exactly the same. Because to me, based on how we understand trustworthiness, I would trust him if he is truly being honest that he treats every woman that he dates exactly the same. I Mean, my next joint of curiosity would be, are you telling all of the women that you are seeing other women and they are all getting the same treatment?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I appreciate you sharing that though, because I feel like you just walked us through a really like a nice an interesting process and journey of like a pair of social relationship where like, you see someone's content, you may want to make a quick snap judgment, and then you kind of go through this process of like, oh, okay, like are they trust. Well, maybe I don't aquae with what he said or even me like it kind of made me feel awake. I'm like, well, if you know, this is my thought, like if you know that, women are going to feel special or they're going to probably be more clingy or you know, just like you more because you're doing these things and you're doing that, it's like that kind of doesn't seem cool. But then at the same time, you are being honest, you are being upfront. Like I've had men who have been upfront like this, this is what I want, this is what I'm trying to do, and it's like, you got to respect the honesty. So I want to bring that up. But I appreciate the process that you walk through to get to like, oh, how do I feel about this? And at the same time, I think we can resonate with someone's content and not be a fan of the person, right, or we could be a fan of the person and not necessarily resonate with the content. Or I agree with what they said. I think this is just a reminder of like we get to make the decision, but these are some of the things to consider when we're consuming the content, and like just because we disagree with someone doesn't mean they're a bad person. Right. We're all entitled to our own perspectives based on our lived experience. So I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Sharing exactly exactly, and I think you know and I think also to the first thing that I pointed out, right, is I need more context. Yes, that in order to determine whether someone truly is trustworthy. It's not made in a snap judgment, because if I'm seeing just that one snippet of content, I can make all kinds of assumptions about that person that might not even be accurate. It's needing the whole content, needing bigger context and asking questions, getting curious. And then but when it comes to people that we're meeting, like in real life, it's if we can't make a snap judgment off of someone that we interacted with for five minutes, that it's helpful to give it some time, have multiple interactions in various settings to then determine is this a trustworthy person?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think particularly also like when it comes to dating, right, that as you are trying to determine is this potential is this partner or a trustworthy person, it's looking at their actions it's looking at are they consistent all the things that we mentioned before, but it's also paying attention to the stories that they tell you about their past right or how they spend their day right, Like, are the stories that they're sharing with you? Are they taking accountability? Do they have some level of humility? How are they treating people from all walks of life that they encounter? Are they generally consistent? Are there behaviors and words aligned with their values? Do those things also match up with what you're looking for in a partner. Those are ways in which you can start to see is this person trustworthy?
Speaker 1: Those are good? I love that a lot. Hey lady, real quick, before we keep going, we want to put you onto something that we're supporting behind the scenes, especially when it comes to personal health. We want to share one of their products called Soaking Wet.
Speaker 2: Now, before we go any further and you start clutching your pearls, don't let the name fool you. This product is really about total vaginal health and daily support exactly.
Speaker 1: It's a doctor formulated oral probiotic made with specific strains designed to support vaginal balance, not just general gut health.
Speaker 2: And something we always want to be clear about we own only promote products we personally try and feel confident recommending. So when it comes to vaginal health, you need very specific probiotics.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into this. Okay, So Soaking Wet from Vphealth packs a punch with a blend of probiotics, prebiotics and vitamins. And it's like sending your vagina to the spa if spies also guarantee better sex. This isn't just about health, It's about pleasure. Increased wetness check, total vaginal health check. And after taking this consistently down, I just want to tell you it works. Okay lady, if you know, you know, I'm not going to put all my business in the streets, but listen, it works.
Speaker 2: So if you want to know more, you can visit soakingwet dot com and use cold her space for ten percent off, or click the link in the show notes. And now let's get back to the conversation.
Speaker 1: And that contacts us onto accountability, right, accountability with out dehumanization. This is a big one because I feel like we are just especially in the world of social media, like people see something and then you just they just like no forgiveness. It seems like ever, right, and in order to hold on accountabit accountable. I think you can hold them accountable, but also you can they deserve humanity at the same time, you know what I mean. Yes, it's like we can do both. Yeah, this is yeah, this is complex. What do you think about this one?
Speaker 2: So I think that to your point, like, yes, both are necessary. And when we see someone doing something that is inappropriate, illegal, unethical, whatever the word is that we want that we're using to describe their particular behavior, the internet is an easy place for folks to be. I don't even I can't the word is not the word is escaping me right now. But you know we can be we we can be harsh and aggressive. Yeah, and I mean we as people in general can be harsh and aggressive when we are behind hiding behind a screen, Twitter, Twitter fingers, internet thugs, whatever word we want to use to describe it, we are. We can be very harsh and aggressive in ways that we would not be in real life for sure. And so I think that's where the dehumanization comes into play. That, like, it is easy for us to because we have held people when we're dealing with social media content or just Internet content in general, because we have held content creators, celebrities to higher stands, to put them on pedestals and all the things we not. By doing so, we are treating them as if they aren't human, and that pulls away from the expectation of them being quote unquote normal, right like the rest of us. Right. Yeah, And so then what happens is is when they do something wrong or something that in the court of public opinion is a problem, then all of a sudden, we get hot with those Twitter fingers and everybody's going in because now we've put this person in a place, put this person on a pedestal, and we no longer treat them as if they are human. So we just assume that they can take all the vitriol that we are as a public tossing at them. Yeah, and we expect them to be able to all of a sudden, with all of that vitrioll being tossed at them, take accountability for what they did wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot that. I mean, we've seen many people get dragged on social media. We lived through cancel culture, and the interesting I think about me, like or you dom, if we were to experience that we are human, like you said, We're human at the end of the day. So dragging people and commenting all this negativity and people another human seeing that constantly, it can be very It can be very destructive, right, it can be. And I think accountability it should not require public destruction, Like there's ideally right, there should be a world where we can state, you know, this person did this, this isn't right. You know, we want you to hold yourself accountable whatever it might be, try to hold them accountable. And then at some point it's like, okay, let me decide how I'm going to engage with this person and let let me move on, because like what's the point of continue, you know what I mean, It's just like okay, yeah, pile on. Yeah. So it's like accountability matters, boundaries matter. So me determining how I'm going to interact with this content on this person based on how they showed up we were talking. I'm gonna talk about what we talked about in the last after show. That guy. Oh yeah, man, no names, but lady if you know you know. So, there was a man on social media, right, he was people say he was pandering to black women, right, and he was creating a lot of content that a lot of black women were appreciating, and allegedly they were saying that he was I don't know if it was mentoring or advising women behind the scenes and like leaving their relationships. But then he getting there trying to sleep with them, and he's cheating on his wife and doing all these things right, And so when all this came to the public, it was I mean one the jokes, I mean they was going in on the different memes and the skits and all of that pulled his whole family into it. All that right, and it's like, okay, yeah, we should state, we should hold people accountable and state like, hey, what you were doing, that's not right, you were misleading people, blah blah whatever, and then okay, move on, don't if you not right him. I'm not going to buy his products. I'm not going to support him, but I'm also not going to take time out of my life right to everyday comment on a post and say how dumb years or how much I don't like him, like what is what are we doing now? What is my life? Exactly? So I think there has to be that balance because people will go in I'll be like, oh, feel bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think you know the other thing too with that is you know there are people currently online that like the Internet is coming form and on one hand, they need to be held accountable. Right, but at what point? Then this is part of what we wrestle with, right as we are engaging with people, at what point do we have empathy when the person is coming back, like when the person is one not taking accountability and actually like doubling down on the problematic behavior and then responding with aggressiveness. Right, So I think then the question becomes, Okay, well, at what point do we have empathy for this person if that's their response when they're being held accountable for their behavior.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I also think that depending on what field you know people are in, like the accountability is it's extremely important, right, Like I'm thinking, if you're agreed, if you are a if you are a surgeon, Like you're masquerating around like a surgeon and you're trying to do work on someone's body and you're trying to do surgery, right, and you're lying about that people need it. The young in Florida, Yes, I can't remember all the details, but I know the picture of him is like a picture of him and posing like this, and it's like, okay, you are literally putting people in harm's way. This is this should be a live service announcement. Lives at risk, there should be a public service announcement. Everyone needs to be aware of this to inform the public right, right, and.
Speaker 2: Not in a humiliating not to humiliate the person who's impersonating a doctor by the way, that is and that is illegal, like not to not to humiliate them, yeah, but to protect the public.
Speaker 1: To protect the public. At the same time, the question is like this public shame does it really create transformation? Right, because some people people are going to be who they're going to be. So for the instance that you were talking about dom, if someone takes accountability and like, you know what, I messed up, it's easier to be like, you know what, I'll fuck with you. Like you admitted you were wrong what you did. You was on some bullshit, but I forgive you. Like you're taking accountability. I respect that, like it puts meins exactly. We can rebuild the trust. But when you, like you said, when someone's doubling down again, y'all, we're not trying to be messy and dramatic, but like, we all see what's happening in the world around this time, so it's like, Okay, let's have a conversation about it in an at tactful way. And it's like if someone is doubling down and they're being nasty and they're showed up in this way, I think that that gives us an opportunity to say, Okay, how do I want to engage with this brand with this person based on that? Do I want to block them so I don't see this shit anymore? Do I want to make sure that I'm not buying any of their product services? And if I have someone in my life who's like, oh, I'm thinking about doing this or working with this person, maybe I just have a conversation like you know what, you know this happened, do your research again. That doesn't mean I'm going online where you're posting everything sharing, because the message got out there, like people know what had happened, and now it's like, Okay, what's next. So there's other things in the world that we can spend our time and energy on that are probably more productive now that the world knows. Right, If that makes sense, I.
Speaker 2: Hate exactly exactly, and so I think that takes us to the next phase, right, is the reconciliation and forgiveness peace. Right now, the question is do we forgive? And I think it depends on the scenario. So to that example that we just brought up, If you aren't admitting, you aren't taking accountability, right, yeah, am I gonna forgive you. I may be able to forgive you, but I'm not supporting you anymore. Yeah, I'm not like you said, like you noted before, I'm probably gonna block all of your content, like I'm gonna not follow you, like I'm not taking in your content anymore. And if someone brings your name up, I probably will let them know, Hey, I don't think this person is trustworthy. I don't know if you necessarily you might want to do some more research before you decide to support them. Yeah, because I'm also big on people making decisions for themselves.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: You ask me my opinion, I'm going to give it. Yeah, but I'm also going to advocate for you to research for yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, No, I think that's a good point. And I feel like in situations like that, we're going back to the trustworthiness. If someone if you can't be held accountable and you're not able to admit when you are wrong. It just kind of question. It makes you question other aspects of your life, how you're showing up, what you're advising people you know, and so yeah, it's it's definitely a lot to consider, right, So yeah, I don't ask the questions.
Speaker 2: But I think also that that work in this examp. But we're talking about somebody that we see.
Speaker 1: On online, right, yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what do we do if it's someone that we know in real life, right, that we interact with on a day to day basis, or maybe not day to day basis, but this is a person that we interact with in real life.
Speaker 1: And taking accountability? Is that right?
Speaker 2: They're yeah, they aren't taking accountability. They're doubling down, they're not seeing where or they're refusing to acknowledge where the impact of their actions. What do we do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. What do you have something in mind?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What would you like if someone I guess it's situational. It depends on how serious the thing is. But honestly, just as you were stating that, I'm like, I don't really want to be full on with somebody who Like, that's a big relational turnoff to me, Like you can't, Yeah, you can't just admit that and you know, we all know we know you is wrong. You can't admit that like ow.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, Like like I get that. Maybe okay, at first you might be taken aback and you might not take accountability initially in that moment, right, But at some point, if this is a like if this is a relationship that you have with someone that is important to you, at some point you can pause. You can you can circle back and revisit and say, you know what, my bad. If you struggle with saying the words i'm sorry, I mean, that's something to work on. But if you if you're aware that you did fuck up, like now you're like the person pointed it out to you, you initially was like nah, you said with it, and now you're aware that oh.
Speaker 1: Wait, yeah I did. Oh shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's okay to circle back and say, you know what, my bad. That was kind of fucked up on my part. And I think I have more space for the person who's willing to circle back. Yeah, because to me, that says that you're that you're open to growing. Yeah, for sure, that initially you might not have it, really might. You might have missed it. But if you're able to circle back and say, you know what, you were right, I did mess up, I'm willing to work. I'm willing to work with that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. These are such tricky scenarios. I'm thinking about situations too. You ever have a situation where you both just honestly see different like you just see it differently, and man, they don't think they made a mistake, right, So I'm thinking about instances where like we know that like you was wrong, your ass is wrong, and so thinking about that when it comes to the forgiveness aspect, it's also important for us to remember that forgiveness and access are not the same thing. Right, you can forgive and then still set boundaries because if someone is going to show up in that way, it's just it's a red flag in my opinion, like if you can't take accountability or admit that you were wrong, especially if you're wrong someone that's close to you, and you know, we're not talking about the parasocial relationships here, but it's like, Okay, I'm going to set a boundaries, so maybe I'm not going to do a certain activity with you or or share certain things with you. Now, I don't know why I was thinking about a Monopoly game, probably because we talked about it recently. I was talking about Monopoly, and all right, let's say you're playing with your friend or you're you know, you're with the homies, and you play Monopoly and the somebody's cheating in the game, and you know what, they cheating and they keep lying saying they're not cheating. It's like, bro, Like that's annoying, Like why are you doing this? So it's like not that the friendship is going to end, but like maybe I'm just like my boundaries. I'm not playing Monopoly with Joe as no more. You know what I mean? Exactly, We're not doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Like that means that I cannot trust you in the Monopoly game, right, And so then that brings up another point, right, that they're there may be trust is also can be a nuanced piece, and that there may be situations in general I trust you, right, but there may be certain situations in which I can't trust you. That doesn't mean that I don't that I'm gonna not be your friend, not be in your life at all because I can trust you in general. Yeah, so the Monopoly game. To me, monopoly game is a low stakes thing that I can't trust you to play Monopoly without cheating because maybe that's how you grew up as a kid. That was a thing that y'all did. Whatever, there may be some context behind it, right, Okay, Yeah, but if I can trust you, if you have demonstrated that I can trust you in larger things, then all right, we're just not gonna play Monopoly together anymore.
Speaker 1: What's high stakes for you? Don bre something we'd be like, all right, this shit right here? You bugging like?
Speaker 2: So for me, high stakes is more emotional, emotionally vulnerable things, right if I had a kid or yeah, so emotionally vulnerable things and then other risks where other people's lives are involved. If I had a kid and I needed you, I generally trusted you to watch my kid. I'm gonna be sure to tell you you're not teaching my child how to play monopoly, but in general, I trust you to babysit my kid. Like you're one of the trusted people in my kid's life. Yeah, Like, if you mess that up, if you do something, then that makes me say, I can't trust you to watch my child. That's higher risk to me, Like, if I can't trust you to watch my child, then chances are you're not gonna be in my life anyway, right, that's higher risk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. I was thinking of like financial things or like some about that. Like if you're a friend and you're like, oh, I want I gave you some bread, you went to the store, you spend money on something, and then you're like, oh, this is the change, and like you know, it's just things like that where it's like this is a this is this is a little bit more high risk. So no, that that's good. And I think, like we said before, mistakes are normally we all make mistakes, right, and some mistakes revealed humanity, whereas others reveal patterns. And I think the biggest point of our conversation here is like look at the patterns. Look for the patterns in your in your life and your real life, but also in the parasocial relationships. When you start to see someone act a certain way or show up a certain way, or they're showcasing values or perspectives that maybe don't resonate with you, it's like, Okay, I need to question my my interactions with this right so.
Speaker 2: And I think it's important too, particularly around these parasocial relationships. Because of the age of social media, people tend to be it seems to be more visible. We all have access to how people are responding to their parasocial relationships. Right Like, you know, pre social media, if your favorite celebrity was doing something that you didn't like, how were you supposed to let them know? Yeah, maybe you didn't watch their movie anymore, maybe you stop buying their music. But now, if your favorite celebrity is doing something you don't like, you know, Twitter fingers, We're on their social media page leaving nasty comments and so. And because if you had this relationship para social relationship with your favorite content creator or celebrity, because of the social media connection connections and the amount of content that people put out there, you may feel that emotional connection may feel more intense because it feels like a deeper connection versus again, pre social media, we got a few glimpses into people's lives here and there, like they did you know, Evan or Essence would do an interview and you get this full this full spread on behind the scenes of this person's life, the curator for the magazine behind the scenes of this person's life. Okay, and now on social media they get to the person, the artist gets to curate in real time what they want you to see. And if they're doing something that you don't like, now all of a sudden, again, like I said, you get to be you get to be in their comments section, right, and then it could be going back to what we said about cancel culture. If enough people don't like what they see, then everybody is taking it personal. And now this person, this artist may end up being canceled for something that sometimes is not a huge risk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. And so people should have room to grow, right, And we talked about accountability. Sometimes accountability requires a bit of education. People should have room to grow and evolve publicly, and we should allow people to transform. So sometimes you may have to stop, you know, following someone and they may check up on them because they're like they might used to like that person's kind of let me see what they up to, let me see what they want. Have they grown because we grow?
Speaker 2: Girl?
Speaker 1: We how's this podcast? Yes, we've been this podcast for seven it's about to hit eight years in July or in July, and we are not the same people we were when we first started the show, you know. And so it's like giving people room to grow and remembering that your name carries energy before you into a room, and eventually who you are will matter more than how impressive you looked online or even just from the outside right like I'm seeing you superficially.
Speaker 2: Yes, And reputation can change, like we said before, reputation can change, but character is the thing that's generally constant in us.
Speaker 1: That's right. Okay, thank you for tuning in, lady. We appreciate you, and we want to let you know that we are on YouTube now, so head on over to YouTube Herspace podcast and if you want to visit our patreon and support us, you can visit her Space podcast dot com click anywhere you see Patreon. If you're on YouTube, Hey, comment below you appreciated this video. Let us know your perspective, and we hope you've got some value out of this conversation. And we hope that we talked about this in a way that was like tactful and we got to the meat of it without feeding into all the hoop law that we see in the social sphere. Okay, yeah, we're not with the drama. If you want more speaking engagements, collaborations, or visibility for your brand, I got to tell you the truth. This is Terry Lomax and I've been a public speaker for over twelve years. I've lended national media, a TED Talk, and six figure collaborations without a publicist or a big social media following. And here's what most people don't hear. You don't need a publicist or a massive audience to get booked. Most people are waiting to feel established first, and that waiting is costing them visibility. How many times have you looked up and seeing people with less experience getting opportunities you were fully qualified for. Here's the truth. Opportunities don't go to the most qualified. They go to the people who can clearly communicate their value. Once I learned how to organize my story and position my expertise using a framework, everything changed. If you want my exact pitch emails, word for word, my winning subject lines, and the Saucy Solutions framework, visit get that pitch dot com for a limited time use code her space for a special listener discount. If this is your year, to stop hiding and start getting booked. I'll see you inside. Visit get That Pitch dot com, or click the link in our show notes.
Speaker 2: Thanks for tuning into Cultivating her Space. Remember that while this podcast is all about healing, empowerment, and resilience, it's not a substitute for therapy. If you or someone you know needs support, check out resources like Therapy for Black Girls or Psychology Today. If you love today's episode, do us a favor and share it with a friend who needs some inspiration or leave us a quick five star review. Your support means the world to us and helps keep this space thriving.
Speaker 1: And before we meet again, repeat after me and move in alignment not urgency. What's meant for me? Responds to me, Chief Thriving Lady, and tune in next Friday for more inspiration from Cultivating her Space. In the meantime, be sure to connect with us on Instagram at her Space Podcast