Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Friday, Dan and the Dan. It's Dan Patrick Show. It's a meat Friday. We got white bean chicken chili, Jamaican beef patties.
Speaker 3: Who has it better than we do? No lot, He's out of the day.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. All right, we'll update the poll results, and we got a situation here with Jacksonville in Tampa. Does Jacksonville finally have their coach? And exactly what happened. We'll retrace the last forty eight hours with Rick Stroud coming up here in a moment. Clay Matthews will join us, coming up a little bit later on this hour. Booger McFarlane next hour, and Ohio State head coach Bryan Day will stop by as well. The points spread stay the same, the Eagles getting six giving six to the Commanders, and the Bills are getting one and a half against the Chiefs. Whether for both cities should be around the same, no snow acted temperatures in the thirties. Obviously with the Chiefs game, it'll get a little colder than that as the evening progresses. That kickoff is at six thirty The Commanders and the Eagles at three Eastern eight seven seven three DP show email under sdpat Danpatrick dot com twitter handle at DP show pull question for hour two and recap hour one if you can, Seaton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our one we put up there. This one was from Marvin the Super Bowl matchup.
Speaker 3: You're rooting for?
Speaker 4: Your options are Bill's Eagles, Bills, Commanders Chiefs, Commander's Chiefs Eagles. You want to guess who people are rooting for? Commander's Bills. Commander's Bills right now has fifty seven percent of the vote.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You want to know the one that they're least looking forward to, Chiefs Eagle, Chiefs Eagles. Yeah, what the heck? Why am I surprised by that? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Those are two great teams, they are, but we want something fresh.
Speaker 3: One of them has a chance to go to win three in a row.
Speaker 5: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: We'll give you our most must win game of the weekend coming up a little bit later on.
Speaker 4: We switch Just to be clear that they've all been must win games for several weeks now.
Speaker 2: This is the most most must must win win even more than last week.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: There there are coaches or players that this is the most must win game of the weekend. It may not be the team, it may be the person. So I'll have that for you coming up, Rick Stroud. We didn't think we'd ever talked to Rick Stroud again when Tom Brady left he retired, And here he is Rick Stroud, the Bucks writer, NFL beat writer for the Tampa Bay Times, And here we are.
Speaker 3: Rick.
Speaker 2: Tell me what happened over the last forty eight hours with the all of a sudden object of desire.
Speaker 3: Liam Cohen, Dan.
Speaker 6: We're the land of runaway brides man. Bill Parcells did it twice. Chick Kelly did it once. So keep your receipt on the crystal stemware around here. But you know, look, Liam Cohen did a great job last year in his first season with the Bucks on offense obviously, and so they didn't want to leave lose him. And they knew that he was had one interview with Jacksonville. Virtually he was supposed to go up there on Wednesday. Bucks got him to agree to a really a record contract, one of the highest paid coordinators in football, something like four and a half million dollars a year, but it was contingent on him not going back to Jacksonville, and they thought he was going to come in. There was some talk about a zoom call with him and all this. He didn't come in on Wednesday, and they didn't hear from him from about two thirty on Wednesday till about five o'clock on Thursday. He was zero dark thirty on him, so I think they got a little suspicious. And finally he did call Todd Bowles around five o'clock on Thursday to let him know that his kid was in fact sick. He had been with him sometime that day. But oh, by the way, I'm going to look back into the Jacksonville situation, when in fact, I think that deal was all but done. So they were they were pretty pretty upset in Tampa Bay, as you can imagine, and now they need.
Speaker 7: A new coordinator.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I know that people have brought up his son went to the hospital, but in the court, I mean, this just looks messy. Yeah that he maybe his son, you know, obviously has something going through something. His wife just posted something an hour ago. But you still got on a plane and went to Jacksonville.
Speaker 6: Correct, Absolutely he did, he didn't say he did not tell the Bucks he was there. You know, I've talked to many of those guys over there. They're just very upset.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: It's just not the way you do business. You didn't have to sign the contract per se, and nothing was going to, you know, really prevent you from interviewing for a head coaching job. You can't block a guy to do that. But you know, the whole uh interpersonal thing that that you know, just kind of flying up there without telling people he was gone and then not really being you know, fortright. When he did tell Todd Bowles that, you know, he's kind of looking back into him it at that point, I think he'd already been to Jacksonville. So the timeline is bad. You know, it's like a few good Bucks and we're trying to see check the tower logs and see, you know, when he left and all that stuff. It's just it's just a mess. And in the bottom line is the Bucks will now have their fourth offensive coordinator in his many years and for Baker Mayfield it might be eight. I'm not sure I've lost count, but so it affects them obviously next season.
Speaker 3: What's Jacksonville getting.
Speaker 6: Well, they're getting a guy that they better anchor down because he's only you know, he's been to like five different places in the last five years. But he's a hell of a play caller, he really is. He did a nice job schematically. You know, he runs an offense that was similar to what he did in Los Angeles with Sean McVay. He never called place till he got to Tampa in the NFL. But he's a great teacher. And these young players, you saw them get better each week. Bucky Irving, Jalen McMillan, guys that had to step in when they lost Mike Evans, when they lost Chris Godwin for the season, and you know, he just he gives the quarterback answers, you know, and talking to Baker Mayfield. He had some success with Dave Canalis the year before. He called him an optimist bully, which is what, you know, sort of what he needed, right. But from a schematic standpoint and play calling, Liam was at a different level. He could go to the line of scrimmage, get him out of bad place. And you saw what Baker did right, forty one touchdowns, forty five hundred yards, seventy one percent.
Speaker 7: I mean, he was he was.
Speaker 6: Lights out except for too many interceptions. But you know, I just think that they're going to miss his ability to teach and develop and really, you know, the schematics were so good for this football team.
Speaker 3: Is he a head coach though?
Speaker 6: I don't know, you know, And and the thing about that is as great as he was as an offensive coordinator, you know, that's a different job. I mean, you know, there's gonna be five things a day that you're not prepared to have to deal with, you know, anything from you know, your girlfriend broke up with you, your mom sick, whatever it is, and so that's going to take away from his game planning. I assume he's going to continue to try to call plays. But if you've got Trevor Lawrence and you're trying to you know, turn him around, you know, I think that he'll he'll find a way to protect him. If they could add some players on the offensive line, get a run game going, he's going to do great things offensively. But you know, that's that's that's the job. The job is much different. You're addressing the entire team, You're setting the tone for the franchise. And from what I understand, Dan, he's going to have control over who they bring in there to to help him with personnel. So this is not just the head coaching job, but I think in many ways he's going to be more involved in a lot of the player acquisitions and things like that. So it's a it's a big lead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 2: You know, if you say, look, I don't want to come in under Trent Bulkey, I get it. So you go back, they give you this extension. Then all of a sudden they fired Trent Maulke. Why can't you just say to Tampa, look, things have changed here. They're letting me have total autonomy here. I'd be crazy not to pass, you know, to pass up this opportunity. What would the Buccaneers have rescinded their offer, Like, would they have moved on from him?
Speaker 6: I don't know that they would have. I mean, I think they would have hung in there and let him do what he wanted to do. You know, the offer was contingent on him not taking the second interview. I mean, I think, you know, possession is the biggest thing here, right, don't let the guy out of the building. And so that was the Bucks intent where it like, we're going to make you the highest paid offensive coordinator, but you can't take that second interview. So the minute he decided to do that, he kind of avoided what was going to be his new contract, which he never signed. So you know, it was just it was just a game of subterfuge. It just it didn't make sense that you would kind of sneak around like this. I think that's what most people are upset about in the organization, and believe me, they're pretty upset about it, but they'll get over. It's going to make those joint practices with the Jaguars really entertaining next next year, next summer.
Speaker 3: Rick is always great to talk to you.
Speaker 7: Good to see it.
Speaker 2: Dan Rick Strown, bucking NFL beat writer for Tampa Bay Times, co author of The Players Coach with Tom Moore, from Bradshaw, Manning, Brady and Beyond, host of Sports Day Tampa Bay podcast. All right, a couple of phone calls in here, got our poll question for hour two Seaton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, we had the one.
Speaker 4: I didn't know if we were going to go back to figuring out unlikable teams that had become likable.
Speaker 3: Okay, because right Now you kind of have.
Speaker 4: The Eagles in there, who, based on our poll results, seem unlikable.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't really know why, though it might be their fans.
Speaker 4: Okay, no offense, Maybe some may Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Are the LA Dodgers entering that category or in that category with how they are overspending in comparison to the rest of baseball? The Yankees had that generation ago that's cooled, But the Dodgers feel like they're entering that Geez, these guys won't give anyone else a chance category?
Speaker 3: Do you care if people don't like you? If I'm a Dodger fan, I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you have to embrace this like Yankee fans did in a previous generation.
Speaker 3: There are dynasties where you just say, you're.
Speaker 2: Not going to like us, deal with it, like, I don't think that the Chiefs aren't apologizing for anything, Like, okay, you don't like.
Speaker 3: Us, So did the Patriots apologize? No?
Speaker 2: Now you might say, are the Dodgers ruining baseball? Now that's a bigger topic. But that's a topic really for the commissioner. That's a topic for these owners of what kind of sport do you want to run?
Speaker 5: Is it.
Speaker 2: You can spend all this money, you can defer money. You've got all these billions of billions of dollars with the ownership group there, you got a pipeline to players in Japan. I mean, they're taking advantage of everything that they have, all of their assets.
Speaker 3: But why wouldn't you.
Speaker 2: Now, I may not like it because I want to see these other you know, like I'd like for Paul's schemes to maybe pitch in a playoff, Gamers or the you know, the Reds, you know, to be able to be in the postseason. You know, to see Dela Cruz on a big stage. I would like to see that, But the odds are will see them on a big stage in another uniform. I'd like to be able to see teams have that opportunity. I mean, the NFL goes out of its way to make sure you have parody. They're trying their best. You have salary caps, They change the schedule. If you finish in first, your schedule's tougher. If you finish in last, it's easier. They go out of their way to keep the fan bases engaged. And that's the only thing I worry about because the Dodgers are the Dodgers over under for next season. This is the It might be the highest over under win total in recent history.
Speaker 10: Arbon one hundred and eight and a half Paul one oh two and a half, ton won eleven and a half.
Speaker 3: Seaton dang eleven?
Speaker 4: Uh Paul, you said one O two and a half? Yuh one O three and a half.
Speaker 2: Bloop Yes, one O three and a half. And according to UH DraftKings sports book history, that's the highest over under total for a team.
Speaker 9: Yeah, poet, So the Dodgers are frustrating, but they're not dislikable because they're players. Everyone loves Otani, he's transfixing, he's fun, Freddie Freeman, Mookie Betts. There's not dislikable people on their roster.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts their manager, right, love their uniforms gorgeous?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, don So when do they.
Speaker 11: Become as likable as they may be the new evil empire? Or are they already there? And the Yankees are in the rearview mirror in the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: I think they're a likable empire, like a dictator ish Yeah, I I don't know if you dis I mean you you may dislike the method to becoming an empire.
Speaker 3: But I mean they bought those rings.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, But the same with the Yankees, like go Yankees wore that a lot?
Speaker 3: Yeah they were that one a lot.
Speaker 10: Yeah yeah, Mark, can we stop with the I know see it was making a joke buying those rings. No one plays for free, like you get you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So nobody plays place for free.
Speaker 5: I checked that he's right?
Speaker 3: Is that okay?
Speaker 10: Like when somebody says, oh, they bought those rings, I mean I would, but the Union won't let me.
Speaker 4: So I just got to take this money.
Speaker 5: Like what does that even mean?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 3: It means you spent more than everybody.
Speaker 10: Else, so stupid, go ahead, But they did, but you're supposed to.
Speaker 3: Well not everybody has the money.
Speaker 5: Make more money at me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have a war chest of over thirty billion dollars I think. And if you can say to Otani, why don't you defer all of this money?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: I mean how much does he need? And then you're gonna say that to somebody else and somebody else, and you're all in it together. You got a chance to win, You got to play. You can play in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: They're just taking advantage of what is in front of them. They're not changing loopholes here. Now you might say the deferred money might be, but still that's business strategy. When the Yankees were spending more money than everybody else, they were doing it, and they were making money.
Speaker 3: From the Yes network.
Speaker 2: They did something nobody else, and then everybody else tried to get their own network. The Yankees did a wonderful job with that, and whether you liked it or not, it was still musty TV and they embraced being the evil Empire.
Speaker 3: Yes time.
Speaker 5: If it's legal, it's legal.
Speaker 11: It's like when a quarterback pretends to slide but then they reach for that extra yard and they're not quite that a bounce yet. Certain quarterbacks in the AFT title.
Speaker 3: No I got it. I'm not sure what that has to do with God.
Speaker 9: It's very cryptic, Todd, who are you referencing?
Speaker 3: Anything that's legal is legal?
Speaker 11: You're allowed to do this, even though the current president of the United States has admitted to certain tax loopholes. And people do whatever they can do as long as it's within the law.
Speaker 3: What happened? Where are we going?
Speaker 11: I'm whether it's money or politics or anything whatever. If something is legal, take it all the way. You could take it all the way to the line, whether you are quarterback looking for that extra yard or whatever it is, or you could spend your allowed to spend one hundred billion dollars on your team, then you go do it if you haven't.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, yes.
Speaker 9: It's like a guy walk out of a store and not getting charged for dishes and plates exactly going back. It's not cheating or stealing, but it's crossed.
Speaker 3: That was stealing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that wasn't exactly a loophole that took advantage. That was just straight up we forgot to pay for this stuff. You and your wife and then you you know, screeched out of there.
Speaker 11: For a moment, we considered going back, and then we rationalize there at least I did by these plates are probably so overpriced.
Speaker 5: Anyway, we're not getting any bar me.
Speaker 3: You broke the rules. He broke the rules.
Speaker 2: Technically take them back and steal it. They gave it, but I'd take a break. I just looked over and on my monitor, I see Clay Matthews there.
Speaker 11: I didn't grab the box and run out of the store, and all the lights went on and there was alarms going off.
Speaker 2: By the way, Clay Matthews looks like he's about thirty three, frustrating, Yeah, thirty three.
Speaker 3: All right, let me take a break.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to Clay Matthews Junior the third and we'll get phone calls coming up as well.
Speaker 1: We're back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 14: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 13: Should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 14: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 13: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 14: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something.
Speaker 3: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 14: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 13: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 14: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: More phone calls coming up.
Speaker 2: The most must win game of the weekend, I have that for you coming up as well. Ryan Day, Ohio state head coach in an hour from now. The Jags they lost their possible head coach, then they got their head coach, and Liam Cohen going to the Jacksonville Jaguars after saying he wasn't going to go there, then went back to Tampa. Then they fired the GM Trent Bulke, and then he went back to Jacksonville, and now I guess he's agreed in principle to be their new head coach. So that leaves Cowboys, Raiders, and the Saints. I don't know if anybody's looking for somebody who's still in the playoffs. But that might be the case, except for the Cowboys might be hiring Brian Schottenheimer, although I guess they reached out to Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll was Clay Matthews coach at US City. In fact, Pete Carroll said, the greatest mistake at SC was not starting you until your fourth game of your senior year.
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 7: That's right?
Speaker 3: Why did it take that.
Speaker 2: Long for him to realize what he had in you?
Speaker 15: They were they we at the time had you know, littered with five star recruits, blue chip ap athletes. In fact, my senior year, Everson Griffin came in and Pete had named him or he had said that Everson could be playing in the NFL as a freshman, so he was playing in front of me. So I think it was just you don't see a walk on go from being a walk on to starting for the number one ranked defense in the country.
Speaker 7: So I think that was the ultimate hang up.
Speaker 15: And it took a loss to Oregon State on Thursday night for me to actually break the lineup. And if we had never lost, that was our only loss of the season. Who knows what the history books you know, who knows what would have happened.
Speaker 3: Why did you walk on at USD?
Speaker 7: I had no offers. I had no offers.
Speaker 15: I lied to a few people when I got to SC because I wanted to fit in. They're like, oh, you know where did you have offers to class? And I picked some lowly packed ten schools. I said, Arizona, Arizona State. Even I even ventured to say Idaho, but I didn't have any.
Speaker 3: Well, when did you realize you could play at a high level?
Speaker 15: It was probably my third year there. So my red shirt sophomore year, I started getting on some special teams and making some plays kickoff, punt, just kind of had a knack for it and ended up winning Special Teams Player of the Year that year as well as the following two years. So after that year, I felt like I could play. But you know, to say that I would have been a first round draft pick, I would have been lying to you.
Speaker 2: You're a six time pro bowler and the Packers' all time sack leader.
Speaker 3: Has your name been mentioned for a Hall of Fame?
Speaker 7: I'd like to think so.
Speaker 15: So this year I was I was shocked when my name wasn't one of the one hundred and seventy guys or however that works. And I had my agent look into it because I thought I at least deserved the opportunity to be within that group of gentlemen. And apparently you have to have somebody nominate you.
Speaker 7: And the person who.
Speaker 15: Was the packers, you know, who heads the packers, wasn't aware that my five years since retiring was up, so I just got skipped over.
Speaker 7: And he is sure.
Speaker 15: He assured my representatives that next year that wouldn't be an issue. But that leads to another conversation, which is, you know the process of nominating people. I mean, it's it's let's just say, cooler heads, you know, prevail. Just because I was a little I was a little hot about it.
Speaker 2: Well it's tricky though, because it should be. If somebody says your name and then you go, yeah, hall of famer. But now we see it where you're not a Hall of Famer now, but in four years you might be a Hall of Famer. You didn't play any more games. So I don't know. I don't know how that worked. Like Sterling Sharp. I think Sterling Sharp's a Hall of Famer. I mean, he if we're going to put Terrell Davis in injury shortened career or Gail. I mean, he was incredible. He won the Triple Crown. I think maybe the first guy to win the receiving triple Crown.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Dan, we went through this with my dad. As a matter of fact.
Speaker 15: So my dad nineteen year career, you know, four time Pro bowler, just most games.
Speaker 7: Played by a linebacker.
Speaker 15: I might have the most tackles by a linebacker up there with seou But he played for a small market in Cleveland for sixteen years and never won a championship. And wasn't you know, big on promoting himself and ultimately for the first twenty four years he would make you know, the top seventy five, top twenty five. And it wasn't until the last couple of years when my sister really I got to give her credits. He really started campaigning, politicking. Where the last year, the twenty fifth year, my father finished sixth. The voters came out, you know, they told her confident, like hey, he was just he was in that top ten but finished six So, like you had said, he didn't play anymore games. He didn't do anything different within those twenty five years. Since retiring in ninety six. Yet somehow he was, you know, a couple of votes away from being enshrined into the you know, the Hall of Fame, but he didn't for you know, the twenty years before that. It's it's an odd process, but I do understand what you're saying. There's guys who are you know, sure doubt or excuse me, no doubt, surefire Hall of famers, and then there's those who you know, kind of have to wait a little bit.
Speaker 3: What did it break your dad's heart? Now?
Speaker 15: He's uh, he's always said that he's at peace with his career, and he means that, you know. And fortunately I got to model, you know, my game after his. And so when I got out of the game, we none of us ever, you know, we're always ushered out, you know, never on our own terms, very rarely.
Speaker 7: And so I think that has allowed.
Speaker 15: Not only myself not to make this about myself, but just watching him and how he left the game so to speak, you know, conduct himself.
Speaker 2: Really talking to Clay Matthews, super Bowl champ with the Packers, six time Pro bowler joining us on behalf of Colt. We'll get to that here in a moment. Last time you talked to Aaron Rodgers was when.
Speaker 7: Well he text every once in a while.
Speaker 15: I want to say it was it was the latter part of uh this season, but it was nothing, nothing more than you know, inside jokes and humor.
Speaker 7: I'm sure he needed that at that point in this season.
Speaker 3: So it's not a conversation.
Speaker 2: It's not a close relationship.
Speaker 15: I mean it's it's close, but I mean I'm not I'm not gonna ask him in the middle of the season or the latter parts of the season, like, Hey, what are you thinking for next year? Are you gonna stick with the Jets? You going to the Vikings? I mean, what, you know what's going on here? So I'm sure I'll find out like everybody else. But you know, as we know, he's an enigma.
Speaker 3: Was he that way? Though? In Green Bay? We just it wasn't put on, you know, a national stage for us.
Speaker 7: Well, when you say was he that way? What are you what are you referring to in enigma? Yeah? No, he was.
Speaker 15: Yeah, different in difference, not I don't mean that in negative connotation. He's always been different. I've always said, you know, you you compare him to some of these other quarterbacks.
Speaker 7: The uh, these the I'm gonna call them the raw raw guys. And I don't mean that in a negative.
Speaker 15: Way, but you know leaders of team who you know, bring the huddle together. Drew Breeses, the Peyton Mannings. I always compared him growing up in La to Kobe. You know, if you wanted to be great and you wanted to be better, you would gravitate towards him and and he would.
Speaker 7: Bring you in.
Speaker 15: And that's why you saw the relationships he had with Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Greg Jennings. You know, they they were elite at the time, and he was able to form that chemistry because those guys had such a strong bond.
Speaker 3: So he led by example.
Speaker 15: He led by absolutely, He led by example. I mean practice was so competitive, so much fun. I mean he was trying to go at us. It wasn't this you know, lovey dovey, you know, hey, you'll get him in the game. It was we were going after each other.
Speaker 3: But Kobe.
Speaker 2: There was a fear factor there, Like Kobe wanted to crush you even if you were his teammate, like.
Speaker 3: You, I want you to be great? Yeah, was Rogers like that?
Speaker 15: I mean, it's a little different when you're auditioned out ball like you know, like Aaron was to his receivers. But yeah, I think you know when is enough enough? It's four MVPs enough. I'm sure he wonted five. And that's why I truly make that comparison to him, because I think he wants to crush you. Now, obviously we're on the same team, but in practice that's no different. And I'm sure you know, watching him this year, you see those glimpses of you know, what he has, And I don't know what that means moving forward. I thought it was I thought for me it was pretty telling when he walked off the field with Davante with his arm around him, and we remember when he walked off the field with Randall Cobb in Green Bay with that meant So we'll see if I'm reading into it too much just being a fanboy, or what's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: But I love it. Do you think he's gonna play one more year?
Speaker 7: I think he should play one more year? Do I think he will? I don't know.
Speaker 2: What would you do if Mahomes did what he does with the going to the sidelines or I'm gonna slide.
Speaker 3: I might slide of sliding, so you hit them?
Speaker 15: Yeah, where I did hit people in twenty eighteen, that's when the narrative change. We're talking about Aaron Rodgers. It wasn't until Anthony Barr broke his collarbone, I want to say, in seventeen maybe sixteen, where the shift changed and you weren't allowed to hit the quarterback anymore. And you know, some would argue that's a good thing for the sport, you know, keeping the Mahomes and the Josh Allens and Lamar Jackson's, but they've taken full advantage of it, and it's it's hard to man, it's hard to watch, you know, these quarterback especially with the flopping too. It's guys making fifty sixty million dollars getting every call, you know, having so much success, and they're still they're dancing around the sideline, they're sliding when they you know, become a runner. So it is hard to watch. And I hope there's a you know, an onus on changing that next year as.
Speaker 3: Far as okay, what would you do, what would you do the rev you know, create the rule.
Speaker 15: The rule is the refs need to stop calling those plays. Until the quarterbacks learned that it's you're going to get hit. It's part of the game. It's a tough game. I mean the type of hits I used to deliver on quarterbacks first eight nine years in my career versus the last two. That's how the game should be played. You're allowed one step, you give them a hit. If the quarterback gets the ball late, you got to let him know. It's no different than guys coming across the middle. You had dbs who put hits, but now there's defensive defenseless receivers and you see quarterbacks. You saw that Josh Allen pass. I want to say in the I don't know if it's the Wild Carter Divisional game where you know he got his receiver or running back knocked out, it was that's what's going to happen coming across the middle.
Speaker 7: But I'm old school in my thought. I know that has to change.
Speaker 15: I just think to answer your question, I think referees need to keep, you know, the flags in their pocket unless it's truly egregious. And that leads to a separate conversation about referees.
Speaker 2: Did you ever have a sack or a hit on a quarterback where he felt bad.
Speaker 7: Where I felt bad about it. Never never, although, no change. I'm sorry. I thought about that.
Speaker 15: I didn't have a sack, but I hit Brian Hoyer one time and I broke his arm. I broke his forearm, and I met him years later, and I apologize. I felt I never want to injure anybody. I know everybody says that, but truly I felt bad about that.
Speaker 3: But how do you apologize if it's part of the game.
Speaker 15: Oh, like, well, I didn't apologize at the time, but when you see him face to face and then and then you kind of remove the shield, the mask, so to speak, and there's a you know, some humility and a human element to it. But no, I didn't apologize during the game. It wasn't like, yeah, I got him out of the game. But you know, you never want to hurt anybody.
Speaker 2: I keep saying that somebody's going to hit Mahomes and they're going to take the penalty, they'll take the fund, and like, at some point that's going to happen here. I don't I don't like saying that, but the reality is somebody will eventually say this has to stop.
Speaker 15: I you're right, Dan, this might I don't even know. Yeah, so I'm the dating on whether and I tell you this but in the the two but I will two thousand and fourteen NFC Championship game against Seattle, Russell Wilson threw an interception and this was right around the time they were you know, these crackback hits and stuff, and I tried. I tried to give him everything I had and fortunately stuck it out. That's when he drank that bubbly water that got rid of whatever head injury he had. But you're right, that is that is what's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: So you went out of your way. You were you were trying to take his head off.
Speaker 15: I didn't go out of my way to go get him. You'll see he was naturally in the way. He was trying to make the tackle, but I wasn't. I wasn't going to because he was a quarterback. I wasn't gonna put my hands up. I was trying to put a hit on. That's what we're supposed to do.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, why are you yelling at me?
Speaker 7: No, I'm you're right, I'm sorry. I'm just till I'm taking this out on you.
Speaker 15: But there's this narrative now that you're a dirty player if you hit a quarterback, you know, just because the rules have changed so much to protect them.
Speaker 2: Do you have a tackling dummy at the house, So, like, kid, do you need to hit somebody?
Speaker 7: My kids?
Speaker 1: My kid?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I tackle them. I wrestle with them. We don't hit them, we tackle them. We wrestled.
Speaker 3: When's the last time you hit somebody?
Speaker 15: Oh, I didn't get my workout in this morning, but it's been a while. I help out with my five year old flag football team. Hey, we won the championship this year. Yeah, I want a championship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like it. Does he have a ponytail yet?
Speaker 15: No, no ponytail. He's he's high and tight. He goes to a private school, so they frown on that.
Speaker 2: All right, tell me, but you if he wanted a ponytail, you'd say all right.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 15: In fact, I probably petitioned the school and say ponytails. Why Dan Patrick has me on?
Speaker 3: Dude, you look like you're like in your mid thirties.
Speaker 7: It's that strong hairline.
Speaker 3: No, you look at you looked like you could play.
Speaker 15: Well listen, I mean not to I felt like I could still play after year eleven with the Rams. But you know, this is a separate conversation. I was ready to move on to be a dad. It was my second you know, second chapter, third chot, whatever it was in life. I was ready to be a dad, but I felt like I could still play. I don't know about right now, but I appreciate the compliment.
Speaker 2: All right, tell us what you're doing with Safety Impact Award dot Com.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so I appreciate you first giving me the opportunity to talk about this. It's something that means a great deal to me, having a young family, being an outdoorsman and a firearm enthusiast.
Speaker 7: But ultimately, I teamed up with Glock.
Speaker 15: This year to launch the Safety Impact Award, which highlights the critical mission of educating everybody on safe and responsible firearm ownership. Together, we're honoring nonprofit organizations that have shown an exceptional commitment to safety within the firearm industry. And it's not just me, it's Hall of Famer Joe Thomas, Super Bowl Champions, Adam Military, Fletcher Cox. We're all supporting our respective nonprofits. I am supporting Project Child Safe, and what we're doing is we're asking everybody to go to Safety impactdward dot com to vote. We're competing against one another for our nonprofit and COOTE will donate one dollar for every vote received for the winning charity. And on top of that, when you do register to vote, you have an opportunity to win a lot of prizes money get entered. I want to get this right into the Big Game Safety Sweepstakes, where if there's a safety during the Super Bowl, fans have an opportunity to win up to one hundred thousand dollars. So, like I said, it's something close to me, you know, like I said, having firearms myself, having a young family, and I encourage everybody to go to Safety impactowar dot com.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you again. I hope you're doing well and we'll work on that Hall of Fame stuff.
Speaker 7: Hey, I appreciate it, Dan, thanks for having me on always plead.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Bun. We'll take a break. Oh no, can't take a break.
Speaker 9: One point emergency fill in the blanked in NFL news game.
Speaker 3: We have to do this quickly. Okay. Here's the thing.
Speaker 9: From Adam Schefter sources, the Raiders and Blank are aiming to work out a deal to make him the next head coach the Raiders and blank.
Speaker 3: Pete Carroll. He Carol's correct, what day?
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 3: Let me take a break?
Speaker 2: I should bring back I should bring back Clay Matthews to asking Pete Carroll going to the Raiders?
Speaker 3: All right, take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Rapid Radios the walkie talkie for the playoffs, instant Pushed to Talk offering national LTE coverage, Nose subscriptions ever, perfect for instant contact with your friends.
Speaker 3: We use them on the show.
Speaker 2: Go to Rapid Radios dot com up to sixty percent off in free shipping. We left you with the following. That was Pete Carroll and the ra are in conversations about Pete taking over as the head coach of the Raiders. Is there an update, Polly Yeah.
Speaker 9: Multiple reports from multiple insiders, rap sheet Pealasaro schefter, Pete Carroll and the Raiders now have reached an agreement on a three year deal with a fourth year option to become the Raiders head coach.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 3: He's a proven commodity. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And now I note that people will say, well his age, what you know, what kind of stability is that? The NFL is year to year? That's the way I would view I'm not looking at this. It's just like Bill Belichick at North Carolina. I don't think I'd sit there and go in five years, he's still going to be head coach at North Carolina. This is really good. Are the Raiders better today than they were yesterday? And the answer is yes. Maybe they bring in Sam Darnold. Maybe it's a USC reunion there with Pete and Sam. You know, Brady is gonna turn this thing around, or he's gonna try because he's the one running the show. You bring in Pete Carroll.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Marv, Hey, you've talked about this before, you and PAULI. Relevance is a big thing. This makes them relevant because right before this they were in no man's land, which is not where you want to be. They were like on part with the Titans.
Speaker 5: Almost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kind of feel like, yeah, more than anything, it's stability. It's not somebody new, it's not somebody who hasn't done this before. It's not somebody who's unproven. It's a dude who knows exactly how to run an organization. He knows exactly how to fix things, he knows exactly how to get going in the right direction. Let's get some stability for a couple of years and set up the next guy with the solid foundation.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: I think that's great. I think it's a great hire. And when the Bears were looking at him, I thought, if you said I could have Pete Carroll or Ben Johnson, I said I would take Pete Carroll. I've seen him do this. I don't know if Ben can do it. I know that everybody talks glowingly about it. I want somebody who was a proven commoditing and I don't know if there is a downside. He's got the energy of a forty two year old. Thirty two year old, that won't be an issue. Yes, Marv, is.
Speaker 5: Pete Carroll hall of Famer?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, well the football Hall of Fame if I'm combining USC with Seattle, but this is about the Pro Football Hall of Fame. So I don't know. If he had won the other Super Bowl, then probably Yeah.
Speaker 9: Paulin the Raiders weight room in the morning, there's Brady over there in one corner, Pete Carroll in the other. Using the band's possible poll question, who looks younger for their age? Pete Carroll, Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: I don't think Pete's trying is hard to look younger as.
Speaker 3: Tom is doing it more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, naturally, yeah, organically Pete. Organically, Pete looks good.
Speaker 3: He looks good.
Speaker 2: I'll be chewing that gum on the sidelines. Well, we'll talk to booger McFarlane top of the or see what he thinks of this. Michael and Oregon. I, Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Hey, dplw's going good?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 16: I have a little something for you. So my uh, my dad was a huge fan of yours, and he was actually deaf and always wanted to talk to you, but obviously couldn't. If you guys could give me about ten minutes of a moment of silence, I love to give you a little sign language to say that he loves you and I appreciate what you did.
Speaker 3: Well, Thank you, Michael, thank you anything else?
Speaker 7: Michael?
Speaker 3: Oh that was it? Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I didn't know if you were doing sign language, but I can't see you, so I didn't know. Maybe maybe we'll have him zoom then he could do the sign language. Yes Hunt.
Speaker 11: I think he said a ten minute moment of sage would have been very difficult for a talk show to go that long.
Speaker 3: That would be that would be yes Bally.
Speaker 9: Back in the day, Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh didn't get along too well back in the college days. Now they're back in the same conference.
Speaker 2: So read Harball, Sean Payton, Pete Carroll, how about that? You got Hall of Famers in there. Dang, that's impressive. Uh Phil and Iowa, Hi Phil, what's on your mind?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 7: What up?
Speaker 11: VP?
Speaker 12: I fix and a sauce one thirty two with the Spirit of the Lord blessing today's show.
Speaker 2: I actually have a small.
Speaker 12: Small prayer for Buddha and everybody rooting against Kansas City that it'll help them get through the fifty to fifty calls that Kansas City gets. Something tells me, a small portion of your audience already heard this.
Speaker 3: In rehab, but it goes.
Speaker 12: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, the wisdom to know the difference, and when Pat mahomes H's Travis Kelcey for a twenty seven yard touchdown bomb. Just remember that a wise man once said, you can't stop him, You can only hope to contain him.
Speaker 3: All right, well, thank you for all Thank you, Phil. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we opened up the show talking religion. I'm not sure why we're talking church. It was my Oh that's right, Marvin left his microphone open, and it reminded me like Black churches, where you kind of follow along with the sermon and then you're like.
Speaker 5: You're very joyous, Yeah, what God has done for you in your life.
Speaker 3: But if you go into a Catholic church, then we're kind of quiet.
Speaker 5: That's the most noise I heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll play the most must win game of the weekend coming on, and Ryan Day will join us coming up in about thirty minutes from now, and Booger McFarlane's Talk of the hour. The big news there, Pete Carroll back in the end NFL head coach of the Raiders. I love it. Now they just need a quarterback there. How about Pete Carroll Russell Wilson reunited? How Aaron Rodgers, I don't know.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to Booker. Update the poll results.
Speaker 8: See come on, Russ, come on, lad, you got anything from Yeah, due, I'm just checking out.
Speaker 3: And which Super Bowl matchup are you rooting for? Bill's v.
Speaker 4: Commanders right now? Has fifty seven percent of that vote. Yeah, this is wishful prediction, That's what it is. Just people are hoping, they're really hoping the Bills win.
Speaker 3: And then the.
Speaker 2: Commanders be a great, great fun story that continues to roll. Final hour on the way on this Meet Friday. Glad you're part of the program. The Minister of Humor, Fritzie Seat and Marv Paully yours truly in the b RGS.
Speaker 3: Back after this