Speaker 1: Of Course.
Speaker 2: Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's up, y'all.
Speaker 3: This is Fante Fontagelo holding down for Team Supreme, giving.
Speaker 1: You this week's classic episode of QLs.
Speaker 3: So this one we take you back to the twenty eighteen groups Picnic live in Philly. There we revisit our own stage chapter. My man's my brother, doctor Mark lamont Hill. We discussed some serious issues. We get really candid about music, and I pretty much disagree with everything he said, but I still love them.
Speaker 1: As we're mad. We have a good laughs.
Speaker 3: It was a good time. Episode ninety nine. This one originally aired August twenty ninth, twenty eighteen. It's a quickie, but it's a good one.
Speaker 1: Y'all. Enjoy QLs. Spartow my heel Fontello.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Supremo Supremo role called Supremo Sun Sun Supremo, call Suprema Son, Supremo role called Suprema So Supremo.
Speaker 1: My name is Questlove. Yeah, this is my picnic. Yeah you do not like it? Yeah? My mama Supremo son Son Supremo role called Supremo Son. Say, my name is Fante.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Some say I'm a sage. Yeah, Questlove Supreme. Yeah, eating chicken on sake.
Speaker 4: Suprema So Except, roll call Suprema seven Son Supremo, roll call.
Speaker 1: How will be recording? Yeah, I don't think we're recording. Yeah, oh wait, we are recording. Yeah, roll call.
Speaker 6: Suprema Son Supremo, roll call Suprema So Supremo, role called.
Speaker 1: I paid Bill Yeah and Deli DII Yeah, West Loves Supreme. Shut the fuck up, Philly, shut Up, Supreme Supremo.
Speaker 6: Roll call Supremo, Supremo Rosa.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm really wet. This leather couch got me all a second.
Speaker 1: Roll Supremo Supremo. Roll call Supreba Supremo. Roll Call. My name is Mark.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm so excited.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Van Jones canceled. Yeah, I got invited.
Speaker 1: Supremo.
Speaker 4: Roll call Supremo some some Supremo. Roll called Supremo Supremo roll ca.
Speaker 9: Greetings Philadelphia, Yeah, city, you always come before. Van Jones well him to a special edition of Course Love Supreme Libel on location from the Festival Pier The Sight of the Roots, the tenth annual Roots Picnic in my hometown of Philadelphia. My name is my name is quest Love for out Philadelphia, and today I brought Team Supreme with me.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 9: To my far right found Tickolo Coleman, the once in future and not former member of Little Brother, current member of Foreign Exchange.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 9: Incidentally, his No News is Good News album still out, A great piece of work. Thank you cop it. Even though he's eating chicken. I'm eating baked chicken.
Speaker 1: That's uh.
Speaker 9: To my super far left, uh, our is our resident ect or ghetto g E t or E g O t Uh. He has an Emmy for your work on Sesame Street. Uh, a Tony for your work uh for in the Heights, and you have a Grammy for a little well unknown play called Hamilton that we did together. All right, No, I mean you know this ain't about me. It's about you, Bill Sherman, It's a little bit about you. Uh. To my right here, host of the owner and CEO of the Sugar Network Network on Instagram for all you music heads out there, you can follow him on Sugar Steve. You'll be s U g A s T e v E Sugar Steve. But before the whole Sugar Network, uh stuff. Uh, he was a longtime engineer for some of your favorite Uh Soul Aquarium related projects like Danzelo's Voodoo Commons like Water for Chocolate and the Circus, Eric Abdus Mama's Gun Uh, most of the roots albums for Another, Tipping Points and whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 9: He's engineered producer song route for you know artists from Elvis Costello worked on Amy Winehouse, Prince Brittany doing what did you do on Britney Spears' album. I think I recorded Horne anyway, Sugar Steve, Ladies and gentlemen, Yes, where are you going?
Speaker 1: Sweaty bud already? Wait? What's she's doing that? Okay? Anyway?
Speaker 9: Uh to my left, U we have the first lady of course. Wait, why are you dreading your intro?
Speaker 7: Because I don't got no grammy, no emmy, I have no records.
Speaker 9: Like yeah, but I mean you're you're sometimes Philadelphia. You're a Philadelphia now, right because usually on the show you claim d C. But Philly today, Yeah, no, you always.
Speaker 1: You're always a Philip.
Speaker 9: She's been a presence on Philadelphia radio from all of them, Pound ninety nine Radio one, w PGC.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you hot one on seven nine, Boom all the day, All ones is here, today out there.
Speaker 1: Give me y'all fan, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 9: Welcome Layah to Uh it's Layah And our guest today is not Van Jones. He's a political commentator, Arthur journalist, social justice activists, and all.
Speaker 1: Around hip hop head.
Speaker 9: A Philadelphian, Uh not to mention owner of the super cool and trendy Uncle Bill. Okay, wait wait Uncle Bobby's Coffee and books in town.
Speaker 1: Yes, bringing them home.
Speaker 9: Yes, Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our guest today, Mark Lamont Hill. That intro took forty five minutes. Ladies and gentlemen, Thank you very much. I'll see you later. Good night anyway, all right, Mark. So normally this show is ninety minutes to like four hours or seven hours if you're Jimmy Jim, we only have forty five minutes, so I don't know where to start. I mean, we can go with Russian collusion, we can go to protesting in sports, the criminal justice system. Are you Team Drake Team PUSHA? Haven't canceled Kanye yet? What was Jr?
Speaker 1: Thinking in the last five minutes of Game one? I don't know WHOA get in to Wyoming? Yeah, Wyoming.
Speaker 8: I did not get an invite to Wyoming.
Speaker 9: I got a quest love wait, I got a six twenty five a m invite to Wyoming, So you got a last minute I thought it was a trap though.
Speaker 1: Me in this show, I thought it was a trap.
Speaker 9: And Mark too and Banjo, well, you know most black people were like late meant last minute, So I didn't know that. Yeah, I thought it was a prank because it was in I was in my sleep and then suddenly I got an alert saying can you come to Wyoming?
Speaker 1: Did you go?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, did you No?
Speaker 9: I wouldn't wause shut it down.
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't win.
Speaker 3: Why that sounded like get Out Part two, niggas, I ain't going to I'm going to Wyoming and listen no fucking rap music.
Speaker 1: I don't know by doing it?
Speaker 9: Yeah no, I mean Fonte had a point like why travels to Wyoming for seven songs? That is going to because you're part of the thing. Twenty on your phone and like, yo, I'll be honest with you. Three people hit me and said the swars were banging small and that was the first thing.
Speaker 7: He's gone. He's gone.
Speaker 1: But have you heard the record? Yeah?
Speaker 10: I heard the whole album I mean I heard her. I could have heard her on the way here it was, it was it was like twelve minutes. The intro was long, and this show was long.
Speaker 7: Here's the thing, he said, Black Dots EP was longer.
Speaker 1: Fact, here's the thing though.
Speaker 9: But the thing is that you know, as far as like bloated albums are concerned, like that started with public enemies, it takes a nation of millions, like the first time I saw a single album with sixteen songs on it and interludes and all that stuff. And Chuck's logic was that he knew that cassettes were forty five minutes each, so he wanted to perfectly time it so that he fills up each side of a forty five minute cassette. But then everyone else followed suit. Suddenly Daylight Soul had like twenty three songs. But I mean, if you look where all the albums that we claim are classic, most of them joins are like thirty one minutes, like Stevie Wonder's and the Visions only thirty one minutes?
Speaker 1: True, ill mad?
Speaker 8: Did any of them have a whole track of I want to kill myself? I think I want to kill.
Speaker 1: He wanted to kill you first, yes, and but you know, but he loves himself more than he loves you, and he.
Speaker 7: Wanted to plays.
Speaker 5: We got a hold on the mark because you know, as soon as we let them go, that's what happens, or as soon as they leave us snoop.
Speaker 9: Right, but no, But I think that mental health, mental health and black people are definitely I mean, that's it. That's an issue, all right. There's two sides of the issue. Because I feel as though some people feel as though it's I don't know what you would call it, like his performative bipolarism, Like is it real, if it's if everything's on display?
Speaker 10: Yes, and no, I think people because what happens is like you can already have an issue and then the bipolar just magnifies it. So you could be an attention hog and not be bipolar. But if you are an attention whore and then you pol then you end up tweeting every ten seconds, you know what I mean, and you end up you become Kanye or Donald Trump or Donald Trump or Donald same thing. We're your thoughts on the album like that be giving a thorough listen.
Speaker 8: Iven't give it.
Speaker 10: I listened to it because he's that canceled. I played it and Uncle Bobby's because people wanted to hear it right. There was no clean versions. I just played the whole album, right. I thought it got better as it went on. I thought sonically it was dope. I thought by the end the best tracks on ones when he went rapping, like I think it was track five or some he wasn't rapping.
Speaker 8: There's one track where he doesn't rap.
Speaker 1: Right, what he's saying, I think Charlie Wilson jam like amazing.
Speaker 8: When he's not rapping, I feel like because he's.
Speaker 3: Singing, Yeah, Charlie Wilson, who going bet against Charlie Wilson, And well, actually I was saying his his singing on track five was dope.
Speaker 1: I mean I like the Yke song because I don't know okay, yeah yeah yeah, I mineus wouldn't leave in the Charlie Wilson jam.
Speaker 7: Everything is that y'all went to knowing the names of the song.
Speaker 1: A good sign.
Speaker 3: Like when I can name the two songs I funk with, that's not design of a good album, even.
Speaker 8: When it's only seven tracks.
Speaker 1: Nigga, that's even more like seven times to get the ship right.
Speaker 8: That sixteen songs.
Speaker 9: You for it all right, two for seven. Let's include the fourth wall of who's watching this right now? Because we can't ignore our audience. Have you listened to the album more than five times?
Speaker 1: Wow? Why? Two people?
Speaker 3: Have you?
Speaker 1: Have you listened to the album at least once? Okay?
Speaker 9: Did you just do the thirty second skip thirty second skip thirty second skip?
Speaker 1: Yep, gave it? Kanye completely canceled. Oh what, bro? Are you just indifferent? You don't care? No, it's kind of listened.
Speaker 3: Last night we had a moment so at at Johnny Brenda's NIGHTE for Spinning and I want to say, Mike Nice dropped was it get By?
Speaker 1: Or was it what's the quality? And Kanye record, I think it was Bye.
Speaker 3: He dropped get By and people started booing No, I've never seen that ship in my life.
Speaker 1: I was like, what, I think they food for another reason?
Speaker 5: And the Kanye combo may be the issue, but it's more Kanye because I'm we're kicking him out.
Speaker 7: He's gone after the Whitney stunts.
Speaker 1: Can we talk bigger picture? Why are we no longer fucking with Kanye? Why? I told you what I mean? Black one? We're getting older.
Speaker 9: It's I mean, it's not It's not like I've never despite what the perceptions of me wearing the T shirt and all that stuff, like, I didn't go on public and say, yo, I'm canceling Kanye. I mean because I'm still looking at his tweets. I still spent a good portion of my day analyzing the music and all that stuff and the engineer and the stuff that I normally do.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm I'm cool on it. I mean part of me is like, Okay, I whatever, I'm looking forward to the new Roots album.
Speaker 5: I know that my black thought is fucking with my black women, and you know he is uplifting them and not exploiting them.
Speaker 7: So I'm going to do that.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, she has felt me, and I feel like he's felt all the sisters, so let's move on.
Speaker 7: That's how I feel about it.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it.
Speaker 7: I just mean the sisters.
Speaker 10: How you feel the sisters though that I'm because if you if you cancel artists, don't with black women.
Speaker 7: No, it's not about not just fucking.
Speaker 5: What it's it's on top of the fact that what you say about black people, like on top of your statements on top of who you sit beside, on top of the fact, yo, I can't believe you didn't let that chick name your daughter Donda, and you went to like that's it's just so many levels.
Speaker 1: Leout.
Speaker 5: I just said the last thing on top of the fact that you licensed that Whitney Houston picture, and that was so disrespectful.
Speaker 1: That was disrespect ie that one. I thought that was. I thought that was in bad taste. I got it. Let's take a station break.
Speaker 5: I am because I love y'all and y'all too, but I just got priorities.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So okay, so shifting gears.
Speaker 3: All right, So Mark, I had a question for you, like I agree with like ninety percent of the ship that you say, like.
Speaker 10: Jill Stein stop, I already see this already set where I go niggas Jill stopped you.
Speaker 1: You know the niggers start a question with a preface.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: All right, little dog, however, some question, all right, so one with two part questions for Jill stop.
Speaker 1: Okay, One, nigga, what were you thinking? Two?
Speaker 3: How do you feel now that she done finessed everybody and run off on the plug with all that money?
Speaker 10: I ain't giving no money. Look, well, like I thought she was going like a like I knew she wasn't going anyway. Okay, I didn't vote for August You're gonna be president. I voted for Ugus. I needed to make a protest. And I also hear me though. I also told everybody who was in a vulnerable state to vote for Hillary Clinton. Said, if you in California vote for Donald Trump. You in Texas vote for Hillary Clinton. I mean, I got you got you vote, vote your conscience in the state that don't matter, but in vote trade. So if I'm in Pennsylvania and we could lose Pennsylvania, then you vote for Hillary Clinton to get somebody in Wyoming.
Speaker 7: So what is your mess?
Speaker 1: So what state did you vote in? What they did?
Speaker 10: You voted in Pennsylvania, and so did you. I respect the sectary of the voting PROCs.
Speaker 1: I won't hurt face. I would y'all wish I could you mad you mad, y'all?
Speaker 9: Mad?
Speaker 1: I didn't do it.
Speaker 10: But there was like twelve three party members. It's white people that vee Donald Trump president, and it was fifteen Green Party people to vote.
Speaker 7: Does it matter?
Speaker 1: Mark?
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 8: White people votes matter.
Speaker 10: They voted for white people, would like twelve black people for the Green Party.
Speaker 9: So okay, so in me, okay, So so you said it was a protest. What were you protesting a.
Speaker 10: Broken system where we have two two candidates that ain't shit? Okay, and until we have a third party option. But would you argue that.
Speaker 9: I think we all can argue, ain't one party a lot more ain't ship than the other?
Speaker 10: No, I think they equally ain't shipp and I think Donald from shut up, I think they equally. I'm saying they equally ain't sient. However, Donald Trump is of a whole different sort. He's not Republican order, but he's ancient of a whole different So prove of my point.
Speaker 1: Like, I think he's way more ancient than she is, and that's a lot more dangerous.
Speaker 10: And that's why I told people in vulnerable states not to vote for for for him or Jill Stein.
Speaker 8: Okay, That's what I'm saying. It wasn't mixed people smart to do two things that one.
Speaker 9: Can asked, do you feelings about Leanna? Have you a boarded Theanna Presley uh train yet?
Speaker 1: Have you heard of.
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 9: I'm predicting that she will be she could possibly be the next pressent. Who is I'm thinking, I was you want to get on early, Like, who is she think there's a Baraque circle two thousand and two.
Speaker 8: Ain't voting for no Democrats?
Speaker 1: So that's just me.
Speaker 9: Wow, So she's a third party member, but so she's basically the bitcoin of Goddamn.
Speaker 1: I feel all right, imagine imagine.
Speaker 9: A sister, Imagine this is Barack two thousand and two, and you know it's about to happen in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: I feel as though a Yanna Presley could.
Speaker 3: Well, I would vote for independent, yes, So okay, So why wouldn't you vote for a Democrat?
Speaker 10: Because I think we need a third party. I absolutely agree. And until you fund the third party, there won't be three options. So it's the same thing. Basically, what the Tea Party did was they created a third party, and then the third party took over the Republican Party. So now the Republican of twenty years ago something different. We either got to make a third party on the left or take over the Democratic Party.
Speaker 7: Is that in the process of happening?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Like, is it a small group of people that are putting this together? Like the Tea Party.
Speaker 8: I think it's a big group of people.
Speaker 10: If you look at the radical shit that's happened, gay marriage, end in bail, I'm legalizing weed.
Speaker 9: This is really weird for me to hear what we're saying. Politically, we're hearing trap music over there, right, somebody, Yeah, h no, But you.
Speaker 1: Were saying yeah no.
Speaker 8: I mean that's basically yeah. I think we gotta take the ship over, that's all.
Speaker 10: And when you look at all the radical shits happening, and that what couldn't have happened twenty years ago. Gay marriage, weed is legal around the country, is decriminalized other places, Bail is going.
Speaker 8: I mean, shit is moving the right way.
Speaker 7: So how doesn't focused to a party.
Speaker 5: It doesn't seem like everybody's thinking, oh, this is going on, so we should form a separate party.
Speaker 8: We don't need to to.
Speaker 10: I just said I don't care about the part Green Party ain't ship. I don't like the Green Party. It's a bunch of white They asked me to run last time. I didn't run. I turned it well, I turned it down. That's why that's how Jill Stein ended up running. Because I knew y'all gonna be looking at me like that, y'all thing like that, I wouldn't be allowed the roots picnic.
Speaker 1: How does one how does one that even come to the decision that we're gonna choose you to do it?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 1: How did I mean that? Asked?
Speaker 8: Is kind of how the Green Party does it?
Speaker 1: Your Instagram follow up.
Speaker 10: It was just like we were at a Green Party convention, which is the last smaller than the Roofs picnic, and we were sitting there.
Speaker 8: We were smoking too, right, and at the Green Party.
Speaker 7: That's why it is. But you don't know if that's for free everybody.
Speaker 8: Agree party spoke weed.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 5: If they would have said that, they would they would have had everybody come on man.
Speaker 7: First of all, thank you for saying it.
Speaker 9: Mark.
Speaker 10: So it was like, yo, nigga. They ain't say your nigga, but they say, yo, you should you should run. And I was like, now I'm good. I got other ship going on and don't pay no money, and I don't want black people looking at me like that.
Speaker 9: I don't think black people would have been looking at you fucking up if you run, They're not gonna be for voting the Green Party. You tell me if I ran, But I think that's different.
Speaker 3: I think if you run for something, that's you, that's putting skin in the game, Like that's something you're saying, like, listen, I'm gonna step up, I'm gonna make the change.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 3: Voting for a motherfucker you know ain't gonna win. Like I think that that's why they look at it.
Speaker 1: Everywhere I go.
Speaker 10: Black people harassed me about the Green If I buy a bag of wee, you be like what you think about the Green Party? Fot nigga, Like right now if I've run for president, No, I'm good. That ain't my caller. That ain't my thing.
Speaker 1: What is your thing?
Speaker 7: What's the end game of doctor Mark Lamont Hill now that you I like?
Speaker 8: I like like, I like creating stuff. I like writing books, I like speaking. I like you know, doing work.
Speaker 7: The TV show.
Speaker 8: I had a TV show for like six weeks. Yeah, okay, speaking a TV show.
Speaker 10: Listen, nigga, yo, this niggas like Drake with the discs already and.
Speaker 1: I got five things, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 3: First off, markin out Heill is my brother. I admire him. I'm not gonna sit up here and this nobody.
Speaker 8: However, I had a question.
Speaker 1: However, listen.
Speaker 9: I had a question, nigga, the R Kelly interviews, what just what what was going through your life? When he just got him walk up like, nigga, was that ship?
Speaker 10: I wasn't there. That's everybody keep sinking. I was at the interview. That was a nigga, that was Caroline MT. And everybody say, yo, why you ain't doing the interview? Why was you said? I hadn't worked there in two years. Okay, that was you were going.
Speaker 1: I was going.
Speaker 8: I wanted to do the interview. I tried to do R Kelly interview two years before.
Speaker 1: Okay, he can't.
Speaker 10: He sent me the albums. He said, I want you to listen to all my music as if I had heard it. He was like, I want you to do this interview is for his best of album And I said, I gotta ask you a question about uh, you know what, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Nigga? Come on, you know the right step in the name of love people can't right, So like, you know what the we're talking about?
Speaker 10: This wasn't a tough one. And I said, I got to ask the question and he was like, I don't answer questions about that. That stuff is over. We've dealt with that. Wow, and then he last he hung up the phone. We ain't talk since I ain't seen our Kelly talk.
Speaker 1: To so his promises just had blind trust on whoever? Who was the woman that.
Speaker 10: Caroline Monasi Tehran? I forgot, Yeah, I forgot it was it was it was a It was an Iranian woman.
Speaker 8: I think, yeah, that was one of you. Ever ever you like young girls talking?
Speaker 1: How are we talking this niggas? And how young we talked?
Speaker 8: That's that's when you fire.
Speaker 9: This is the most rapid fire question. This is great, This is great. Kanye did the Green Party to R Kelly?
Speaker 1: Yo? I love it? But no, man, I feel you.
Speaker 3: I don't. I think like running I don't. I just don't think that people would look at you funny if you ran. Understand why I ran for office? And then Donald Trump became president for a second turn?
Speaker 8: What would y'all do? Woo myso like because you think he would beat you beat.
Speaker 7: Russians? Do you think this canna happen twice?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I think this is out of We're clearly seeing the results of of ricking the election like that the season season three of Scandal, where you know, I hate to bring it there. But I'm just saying that this is this is more. I don't think this is just about like, well, you know, white people, white women voted trumpet. I feel even that our election system has been rigged and Tampa with so yeah, yes, exactly. So it's I think it's even beyond that.
Speaker 8: So, so here's how you fix it. Oh, you get rid of electoral college.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's that.
Speaker 10: Voting happened for seven days, You have a national day off to vote, and the person with the most votes wins.
Speaker 8: That ship seems real simple to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it'd even be better if you just made like a concert or festival or something like vote fest, like how you like vote Yeah, like I used to have a bud while superfest and we can get Charlie Wilson.
Speaker 1: Vote voter root, voter root. Yeah, get some barbecues, picnic either way. Yeah, I'm with it. But now that that makes that makes sense, Just a popular vote.
Speaker 10: Whoever the people want the wins should be president, Like this shouldn't complicated, Like.
Speaker 7: So are you not even just care about the mid terms at this point then?
Speaker 5: Because to care about the midterms, I was asking you, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: Ever, like the midterms, that's the ship that actually matters, just like state elections matter.
Speaker 10: Like that's how y'all end up without without bathrooms for gay people that are transgender, for that's how you end up with schools fucked up. That's how you know with library clode wow.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. It is the way with the way that social media is so rapid and and so quick this interview. How can you? Yes?
Speaker 9: How how how do you decide on which causes to get behind when you it's almost like gungey your head. You know, we want instant I mean people want instant Kanye reviews in thirty seconds and listening. How do you have the time to thoroughly look up research on who you're going to champion? Because you've done a lot of social justice work for for people to get fair trials even outside of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 8: Whatnot, like outside the country.
Speaker 10: So how I think the key research? Oh, I think that there are independent organizations now that will help with that. That's one thing you do. The second thing is you, uh, I think there has to be a list of issues that we care about that we prioritize as a community, and it doesn't have to be all black people don't see the same.
Speaker 8: But it's some ship.
Speaker 10: We all care about closing down prisons, funding public education, reducing taxes for for.
Speaker 1: For is it closing down prisons or reform in prison?
Speaker 10: I'm an abolitionist. I want to I want to shut them all down?
Speaker 1: Do you? And so how do you treat this? How do you treat justice? Then some things need to be in jail, but I disagree. It's just I disagree.
Speaker 9: So what's the what's the alternative coffee table book? Some niggas need to be a jail, that's all.
Speaker 1: Like, straight up. But okay, so I'm here, I'm curious to hear.
Speaker 10: Your everybody asked me. All right, so a couple of things. All right, So I'll tell you the fast answer. The way you shut down all prisons is one, you fund the things to stop people from going to prison.
Speaker 8: Right, People go to prison when they.
Speaker 10: Don't have books, when they have schools, when they have arts, when they don't have big brothers, big sisters, don't have sports, all that ship, Right, So you invest in ship that stops it from going to prison. The next thing you do is you decarceerrate you get people out of prison. How do you do that bail. Eighty percent of people who are in jail right now prison with jail because they can't afford to not be in jails.
Speaker 8: Right exactly, pro exact times million.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 10: So so you decarcerate, work, release, a supervised study, community based dispute resolution. If I steal your TV right, I don't need to sit in the cage for two years. You still ain't got no TV right. We have to find a way to make you hold again, decarceraate and an excarceration, which means no longer using the prison as the primary mechanism to resolve things.
Speaker 1: So I hear the prison thing.
Speaker 3: So somebody, okay, so somebody does something like they kill somebody is near to you, dear to you, God forbid, what do you do?
Speaker 8: See that's the wrong question. People always ask that, right now, I mean, what do you do?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 1: What do you go?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 8: I don't, I don't know. But but whenever people decide public policy, right some ship.
Speaker 10: Like the death penalty, be like, what would you do if somebody went in your house, murdered your whole family, killed.
Speaker 8: Your dogs and the like? Because they want to get you so charged?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I don't First of all, I don't believe in the death penalty, like I don't, I'm not deaf, but I believe in.
Speaker 1: Jail, Like why why is the thing? All right? So do living for genesis? How much? How you? So if you look, I think I'll.
Speaker 9: See your point because if you look at the history of police or the mob or justice, it was grounded in slavery.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, and so you know already the seeds of our justice system is already Yeah, is corrupt.
Speaker 8: So exactly, and it doesn't real ability, it doesn't do anything.
Speaker 5: But that's a lot what you're saying, Like it's the simpleness of the sentences, but the work that it would take to convince these people.
Speaker 9: But we do it, but they're doing it in Australia. I read a report this morning. Australia's murder rate was crazy eighty nine, ninety ninety. And they dealt with gun control and suddenly they're they're stuff that crime is present.
Speaker 8: Another great idea you had Australia.
Speaker 7: He disrespected the ship.
Speaker 1: Out of him, did he?
Speaker 7: Yeah? President, of course he's Trump.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, gun joy. That's another thing. Like I just don't know, I don't know many Maybe I don't know if we'll see it in our lifetime. Maybe like our kids we are seeing in our lifetime.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 8: That's the thing.
Speaker 10: Abolition is happening when you get rid of the bail system in the federal level like Obama did, when you give it to privatized prisons, when you start giving drug treatment because.
Speaker 8: White is on heroin and oh no, they didn't switch it up.
Speaker 1: Now let's move in to it.
Speaker 5: Switched it on them too, Like he said, I was gonna help y'all out too.
Speaker 12: No, no, no, he said the opioid folks too. He just wow, wow, I did not know that. Yes, yes, okay, damn white folk, they're in trouble too.
Speaker 1: So let's let's.
Speaker 8: About Push the T album. That's what I want to talk about it.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to push it.
Speaker 10: Not that the album is amazing, by the way, I love the album, but what about the beef? That's what I want to know about. As artists, where y'all at with that?
Speaker 3: Listen, bro, let me say this. Once you mentioned a man's fiance on record, anything, go. You know what's funny you can't like Push your T is a forty one year old nigga with braids in the year of our Lord twenty eighteen, and you gonna mention that from Virginia.
Speaker 1: He from the South Hill Country, nigga, Like, no, real Virginia.
Speaker 3: Like like me, Yeah, you mentioned that man's fiance by name, first and last name.
Speaker 1: Ship what nah?
Speaker 9: Bro that that you don't do that or if you do that, you have to be prepared for whatever the fuck comes next, including missing children.
Speaker 1: Yes, nigga.
Speaker 8: I mean I just seem like the next level, you know.
Speaker 9: So I kind of briefly spoke to him just a little bit, you know, I told him, I told him, no, I told him like I'm switching in this joint totally out, but I will say but I will say that extra extra just I'm just disgusted with your absolute fatherhood and in whatever where he said like you know, make her your world or whatever. Yeah, I was like that was super ignorant, Like you know, yeah, because like that's the first time I laughed at it this, Like I normally don't laugh at this.
Speaker 1: Normally your mouth is open, like what the hell you just say? But you know, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 9: Because it's it's like I don't feel as though gunplay's gonna happen or whatever happened to uh, what's his name is?
Speaker 11: This morning in New York Chief Keith got shot shot at but he didn't get shot day. But is it as bad as super Ugly? Because that was kind of the standard of too far?
Speaker 3: You know what, super Okay, I had this, I had this debate with my homies. Super Ugly Jay caught the backlash from that because NAS hadn't taken it to that level, you know what I'm saying, Like, up until that point, it was just simple rap ship like nigga rap better than you? You ugly whatever, nigga, that's whatever, Like I mean, that's that's just playing the dozens.
Speaker 1: I mean, first off, he.
Speaker 10: Said five got you out because you kept your face in a puss. That's that's invoting sexual.
Speaker 3: He did, he did say that, but he still didn't cross the line in terms of talking about another person's family members because he ain't his family members.
Speaker 8: I mean, still, what do you resourceing? What do you what do you family members?
Speaker 1: What do you feel about? What do you feel about? What do you all feel about the hyperbole?
Speaker 9: What do you feel about the hyph perpole of of like, you know, people were ready say that Drake's disk was like the greatest sense Ether or whatever like for some reason Ether, I think the idea of Ether.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, bigger than listen. Ether fucking sucks. Okay, list.
Speaker 9: Wait, time out, time out the front real quick. All your name say is raise your hand. All you know, I think Ether was a great all your names of Ether that think Ether was a great?
Speaker 1: This I agree with. If you disagree with, raise your hand? Okay? Cool? Is there? And I wrote, is there an eight in the third digit of your birth year? Is there?
Speaker 9: Is there an eight in the third digit of your birth year? You gotta understand. Listen, but listen, listen, let me just get kind of listen, niggas if you don't.
Speaker 3: I came up on the era of no vassileine, Nigga, ice Q, this n w A over a fucking disco track, nigga and laid them niggas to waste. It wasn't no fucking disc like Ron Brown's beat Nigga, that ship what not I can sound like Listen, Let me be clear, it's cool, nigga.
Speaker 1: I do this. I'm not speaking from just.
Speaker 8: A misremembering some ship remembering.
Speaker 1: I did not. I did not like either as a musician. I listened to music first, right.
Speaker 9: Thank you, But lyrically, that ship was whatever, that ship was unfold that Nigga was mad.
Speaker 1: I don't understand this conversation, Nigga. That ship was not okay, what did I misremember it was?
Speaker 8: It was just most of most of the Takeover was about mob Deep.
Speaker 10: So even if you take out some of Na's week of bars, there's still more content against jay Z. Then the best ship on on on on on Takeover was about Mob Deep. Think about that ship?
Speaker 1: What with the you need more? People?
Speaker 8: Should still?
Speaker 1: People? Should they still?
Speaker 10: He went on the on the one hot Yeah, that that breaking down his career made song, and you're telling me there's not enough comparable cond in.
Speaker 9: His business, his business, in facts, level of of of whatever. His retort was for me, that was enough.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 9: But then again, you know, people forget about h the very first jay Z disc that NAS.
Speaker 8: Did, Yes, yeah, that was your Yeah, that didn't need to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you don't remember that, you know.
Speaker 5: I just remember that I was with you when we first heard for the first time, and I just remember that you was a little.
Speaker 7: hYP But that's okay.
Speaker 8: Are you misremembering to so we was in the car.
Speaker 7: I think Common was there too.
Speaker 9: It was I mean, my mouth was open, like this is really happening. But you know, like I don't like ether. I hate hit him up? No, thank you, No, hit him up? Listen, listen. Hit him Up's first crime is the fact that he's rhyming over don't look at the most the most like like you know when you go on iTunes and you get the karaoke version of a song like wow wow, Like it's like on The Cosby Show when they need something like h in com, No, it's nowhere available. I'm just saying on the sitcom when they need like some sounded like it sounded like.
Speaker 3: It was no it was he was, Yeah, kid him up. That's why I hated hit him up over the don't look. The best part of him up is the is the speech at the end.
Speaker 10: It's not the bars right, and it's disrespected saying I'm ever gonna finish rap and.
Speaker 8: Let my little homies rider. You bitch made as bad, but that it was amazing.
Speaker 5: I was not. I'm scared to say this, but I kind of like want did Drake against Meek. I know I'm in the wrong place, but Drake against from DC.
Speaker 7: But at that moment, I still say that Drake killed me. I mean that's not that way.
Speaker 8: So okay, Drake killed me. I love me, But Drake won that bad that was still the result.
Speaker 1: Because I haven't been got thing.
Speaker 9: I don't think that Meek knew better because Meek was actually playing by the rules like he thought that was makes one mistake was that Meek actually thought we were playing by a rule book, which is like nigga have to write your own lyrics. There is no it's over. Yeah, there's no rule book. How do you feel?
Speaker 1: Bill full circle? I just saw a T shirt that said I missed the old Kanye.
Speaker 7: I think we should, so do you.
Speaker 1: I actually thought that Drake would have a genius move on.
Speaker 9: Drake's behalf would have been to release something the night of Kanye's record on Friday the first.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought it was going to.
Speaker 8: I don't think.
Speaker 10: I don't think you got nothing to give because now it's beyond bars. It's like some more COVID ship. He gotta go find dirt on he's looking. Oh, he's he got that nigga. He's gonna have to call nord War. Yeah, ain't Canadian too, ain't northwalking?
Speaker 1: Nadia not walking? Fine?
Speaker 5: And there you go walking fine about he don't want.
Speaker 1: Weird? Do you guys know who Norwalk is? Y'all know, y'all list podcast.
Speaker 7: The Merrill too. I'm just saying, are.
Speaker 9: Is He's a human servian, That's what he's just like he's he's a walking I mean, he makes me blumbling Eddie.
Speaker 1: He's a walking Wikipedia. He knows everything about Mark.
Speaker 7: Did you know who that was? Okay, so I don't know I was.
Speaker 8: I would just gonna nod and look like thank you for exposing.
Speaker 1: Me, not like I know what I'm playing against? It works is proud to not know it.
Speaker 3: That's that's a that's a Chris Rapho.
Speaker 7: I'm proud.
Speaker 1: I just said it like pride, And yeah, I do not know who to know that.
Speaker 7: A smart person who is considered smart amongst the public.
Speaker 1: Doctor.
Speaker 7: He's a doctor, but.
Speaker 1: I would expect him to waste time.
Speaker 7: You kiss my ask questler.
Speaker 9: Okay, whatever, Sorry, let's let's land in the plane. Will we ever overcome?
Speaker 1: Will we can? We ask the people? Not all of them overcome? If there's a mountaintop, we all ain't gonna who.
Speaker 7: Should we leave when the revolution comes? Who's coming and who ain't coming?
Speaker 1: I don't know how ain't coming.
Speaker 3: I've already stated in the previous episode, Michael McDonald is coming with me, Michael McDonald.
Speaker 1: I'm saving comfortable with Michael McDonald.
Speaker 8: We think about.
Speaker 9: Well, I love Mike McDonald. Well, okay, I'm just saying, how do we overcome?
Speaker 8: I think we're gonna be all right?
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 10: I always believe. I always say I've never been this year anyway. I've been saying, like I've never been more confident than I am right now, that we're gonna be all right, that we're gonna win. And I think because the time is so bad, the moment is so dark, we're organized, we're coming together, and we're gonna be successful.
Speaker 8: I really believe it.
Speaker 1: Or can I ask you? As a as a owner of a coffee shop.
Speaker 10: And bookstore where New York best time selling best selling authors can come in and do their books about foodstore com.
Speaker 1: I'm planning it. Let's let's do it done.
Speaker 8: Your book is Your book is dope.
Speaker 1: Just came a month and a half ago, not like seven books.
Speaker 10: No, but the new joint is amazing. Seriously, check it out. I was on the front shelf and.
Speaker 9: Bobby's read, yes, I will come after, I will do it. But as an owner of a coffee shop in the bookstore, did you feel as though anything came of that uh may fifth Starbucks? No, I mean it was good for us. I mean it's our business is almost.
Speaker 1: Double in the weeks. That's great. I've not been to Starbucks since.
Speaker 10: Yeah, me and a lot of black folks like I don't want to go to Starbucks and it's not even good coffee.
Speaker 1: But am I Okay?
Speaker 3: I went the next day and I gotta I get the white I get the tall white chocolate mocha with no whipped prem.
Speaker 1: Do you do it at this Charlotte Airport?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: Hell No, I just is one right around street from the crew you get job.
Speaker 8: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I get?
Speaker 3: What the tall white chocolate mocha no whip prem. It's delicious. That is the booziest.
Speaker 1: That's what it's just like if I need to.
Speaker 9: Pick me up, like to get me over that hunt when I got to pick my turn up from school, A white hey Man, the white chocolate mocha.
Speaker 1: Hey my nigga, changing Java chips.
Speaker 7: I'm telling you a java chips to change.
Speaker 9: What is that?
Speaker 7: Was chocolate stars?
Speaker 1: Y'are Howard University for three seconds and went straight to Harvard.
Speaker 8: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I gotta all of us anyway. So what's your coffee? What's your You got a coffee shop? What's your drink? What's your coffe drink?
Speaker 8: I don't really drink off it like that, but I drink.
Speaker 1: I do espress off you you said drug coffee? Yeah, I feel you. I'm not a call I do it only to stay up functionally. Right.
Speaker 9: I knew I need coffeeple okay, you the milk seriously, Like I before we shoot the tonight show, I gotta do a shot of especial get okay. Usually when I go to movies. I love going to movies a lot, But then you've done. Yeah, I know that's every woman in my life. I felt, Yeah, I get it, okay, Yeah, I sleep so much so telling.
Speaker 1: So what do you do?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: I know because I know like if you're known as like the professor, like the smart dude, people want to have you talk about smart ship.
Speaker 10: I hate that ship, I know, and I know you like you should are playing with somebody. They won't talk about poetics the whole ride I hate. I'm sure you get it with music too. People ask you like, no, really, I get it with music. Nigga's like, who's your top five?
Speaker 1: Nigga? Don't I don't know. I don't music. Let's talk about buddy. It's created the perception that I'm wait.
Speaker 9: Even when we were at the airport and you said that, I all right, what happens when I, oh, you said, I curveed you at the airport?
Speaker 8: Is the master and not recognizing me everywhere?
Speaker 7: He doesn't do it all?
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 9: I rolled by myself and when I'm in public alone, like I don't travel with the authorizing airport by myself. So it's sometimes you just have a wall of defense and it wasn't registered.
Speaker 1: And you look off. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I was like, what's up man?
Speaker 1: He was like, greetings, Yeah, together the airport. Together we did at Hamilton ship. You don't recognize I thought you were. I thought you accounting account.
Speaker 5: Because you don't look around. You be having blinders and you be focused focus nothing. So so what do you do for fun?
Speaker 12: Man?
Speaker 1: What's like? What do you do? Abolition?
Speaker 8: You say, right, listen to music? I go to movies that go out. I don't really do that as much.
Speaker 1: Did last night. The uh yeah, you know construction.
Speaker 7: So yes, so where are then? So?
Speaker 9: Where where'sta is now down instatory joint?
Speaker 7: Excuse me?
Speaker 5: Sorry, doctor macolm My Hills giving us an update on where the strippers have moved from ONYX.
Speaker 7: I need you guy to chill for a second. Where is Monta.
Speaker 10: Montana's had a new spot on Third and Gerard. That's why we feel like she's like family. You know what I mean, right, But it's the worst thing. You go to strip club and like they want to talk to you, like I'll be like you and she'd be like, yo, I really love you. I love what you do for the community. Brother, Yeah, I love what you do for the community.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thats lap, she said last night. I was good for ninety minutes and then she was like, I know you, it's a wrapped and I was like, but my hair was braided my and I was good.
Speaker 1: And then like and then the night up the whole what you do for the culture.
Speaker 8: I was like, God, please feel all guilty and check please just go tell me. I was her graduation speaker.
Speaker 1: This is wow.
Speaker 8: To be clear, I swear I got on my mind.
Speaker 1: You talk about clearly wasn't a good.
Speaker 7: Way through.
Speaker 9: I don't go.
Speaker 10: Don't even a strip clup in years. But I'm just saying, like when I went, that's why I started. The last times we never went.
Speaker 1: We never went.
Speaker 8: I ain't been since it's been years years.
Speaker 1: Is that after this interview a strip third vote, I'm gonna take you. You're like, can can we do that? Can we do so?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 7: After the interview? Who gonna vote for doctor Mark Lamont Hills.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, I'm at the time work. That's all it took anyway, all right? So am I wrapping up the show TV TV with TV movies?
Speaker 9: What you want?
Speaker 1: What you want?
Speaker 8: I ain't got nothing going on right now?
Speaker 1: What a what you watch?
Speaker 8: What am I watching?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: Are you watching Evil Genius? Netflix?
Speaker 8: Mostly Netflix stuff?
Speaker 1: What's with Evil Genius? It's it's great, That's what the PA it's about. You'll love it that way.
Speaker 3: I tried to watch the other one to the topic about the Indian dude that finessing all the white people who had told.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, wild wild Country country.
Speaker 9: Crazy white people watching Wild Wild Country get into it?
Speaker 1: Yes, if you're from Oregon, group. You have to watch Wild Wall Country change your life that one. I kind of I was cool Billions on Showtime. That's my ship and your game with those people.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I didn't miss It's not I've never watched watching neither because I always watching the Ship late, like I watched The Wire like five years later. But now I'm addicted to watch because doctor Wait did you ask Bill?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because white people love the more than black white door the Wire.
Speaker 9: White people love the Wire, right understand Now, I love understanding.
Speaker 1: Now get it. Body this ship thrilled. I love it. Body fuck you?
Speaker 9: Doctor Well, get together, doctor off cart to the strip club to it, Doctor Mark.
Speaker 1: Okay, I would like to thank you for coming in. I love the pleasure man.
Speaker 7: T shirt.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to have my family back in the house. Yes, I'm glad to be back. Man Sugar. Steve on the Sugar Network has been instagram storing the whole bit. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we were doing a cross episode right now. Yeah, you can turn my music up. By the way, I'm trying to do the the out theme of the of the show anyway.
Speaker 1: H yeah, thank you.
Speaker 9: Uh when we have a unpaid bill and uh like you still broke and uh uh, Boss Bill, who's.
Speaker 1: Not here get anyway. Give it up, Lady John Martin Lamont Hill.
Speaker 7: Yes, give it up for the hard working quest Love who brought everything.
Speaker 1: I have more fires to put out. I'll watch the night. Yeah y'all, there's a bunch of unannounced guests and blah.
Speaker 9: Blah blah blah blah, it should be fun. Out of smoke wings from over there. And yeah we're not spoiler word. We don't know who's coming anyway. Thank you very much on being Supreme only on Pandora. We'll see you on the next go round.
Speaker 1: Face love it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank y'all, Thank y'all so much.
Speaker 2: West Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Bendora. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.