Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, and welcome to Morning Run. It is oOoOO Friday, February thirteenth. I'm Amy Roboch and I'm TJ Holmes. Why'd you say it like that? Because it's Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 2: What did I have in the script? You were about to make fun of me? I? Well, he something else.
Speaker 1: We wrote Friday February third.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's all right, because it's an unlucky day. I didn't want to after Friday, but hell, long long week. Hey everybody, I guess it's weird. These two days go back to back. Friday the thirteenth. Ooh, Saturday the fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Valentine Valentine's Day, a day of love and celebration.
Speaker 2: Some say both of those days are scared horror. Okay, there you go, a very scary day wherever you are. Hope you're having a good start to or Friday the thirteenth. I want to give you the update right now. The US sits in third in the official medal count at the Winter Games in Milan, Norway, up top with eight gold medals sixteen overall. Italy has six gold medals seventeen. Overall, Italy, the host country. We've covered plenty of Olympics. Host country does better.
Speaker 1: They always do. They're buoyed up by It's like the home court advantage.
Speaker 2: Absolutely is so. Italy has been doing fairly well in these games. Germany is in for Sweden in fifth. Both of those countries have four gold medals a piece. But a lot of good action expected today. The quad god is going to be up. But yesterday, I think one of the two three biggest stars at the Olympics, Chloe Kim, competed yesterday and some people pissed at how it worked out for her, but she had another great run.
Speaker 1: She was going for making Olympic history getting a third gold medal in a row for halfpipe, but she got silver. What I thought was so cool about the story she fell and so she what did she do when she finished her around and knew she didn't get cold, went straight over to the girl who did and gave her a hug American, Chinese.
Speaker 2: A protegee, I say, who was going to be up and come? Who knew that a twenty five year old has a protege.
Speaker 1: She's seventeen. The protege seventeen but yeah, how cool is that instead of being upset and being pissed that she didn't get gold, she went up straight and hugged and congratulated the person who did.
Speaker 2: Again, another one of those sweet moments in these Olympics. We can expect plenty more, but I think this would be today Robes. The quad God, Ilia Million is the name. I think Chloe Kim and the Quad God are like locks. There are some people we look at and say, Okay, they're gonna get gold. These would be two major disappointments. Chloe Kim is a star, don't everybody knows, but nobody's expecting gold more than with this quad I know?
Speaker 1: And what that is? So much pressure? And Ilia it's melanin right. He even said he felt a little shaky because he's feeling the pressure. It's it's the Olympics pressure. That makes total sense. You know what I want to watch, but we're not going to be around to see it. US versus Italy women's hockey quarterfinals. You talked about the home court advantage Italy and US team USA and women's team has not lost in I don't know how long. So this is so good. This is going to be I mean they they trounced Canada and that was supposed to be a big matchup.
Speaker 2: Never supposed to happen. Those two have been going we're the last how many Olympics, those two of the only ones have got the gold medals, right, But yeah, they're taking on Italy. I want to watch just because I am sure the Italian hockey uniforms are going to be the best hockey uniforms ever.
Speaker 1: They are killing it with the fashion as always, always nail it.
Speaker 2: But all that happening today, we'll keep an eye on it. But a number of other things we need to tell you about. We're keeping an eye on this morning run. We're going to be making stops in DC, in South Carolina, in Virginia, in LA. We'll dip back into Milan, also Cape Canaveral, we're making a stop, but we got to start in Tucson once again.
Speaker 1: Folks.
Speaker 2: It is day thirteen and the search for eighty four year old Nancy Guthrie. And late yesterday the FBI got specific about who they're looking for. They put out a suspect description. They said the male is five nine to five ten as an average build, and they are giving a specific description of that backpack we see in those surveillance video. It is a black twenty four Leader Ozark trail hiker pack backpack. They wanted to get those details out. Also, they did increase the reward to one hundred thousand dollars. It's doubled now and then robes TMZ once again. This is like the fourth note. They've gotten the second one from someone who says they know who the kidnapper is, and they keep demanding one bitcoin. They sent a second note and Harvey Levan over there said this one was chilling.
Speaker 1: Ooh, all right, And investigators are now searching the foothills around Guthrie's neighborhood and expanding the area where they're asking neighbors to check their surveillance footers. They gave some specific dates, but they expanded it to a two mile radius around Guthrie's home. They also are looking at DNA in those gloves, a pair of black gloves they found. They say look like the gloves the suspect was wearing in that surveillance video, but they can't say for sure. Hopefully we'll get some answers on that soon. And then Savannah posted a vintage home movie footage of her mom as a young mom, with her and her siblings as young kids, just humanizing her mind and just saying we'll never give up on her. Thanking everyone for their prayers and hope. And by the way, if y'all want to check out an episode we did right before this this morning, there is a sketch artist, a renowned, a Guinness Book World record holder sketch artist. From the convictions that she has been able to claim as her own based on her sketches, she has now created a sketch of the suspect from that surveillance video. We will see how police react to that as that sketch makes its round today.
Speaker 2: I will continue on this Friday morning run now with the Department of Homeland Security. It will shut down at midnight tonight if lawmakers can't reach an agreement on tighter restrictions for immigration enforcement. Now, while both sides have been negotiating, they are also digging in, at least in public, and there is no clear way out of this, and it looks like we are going to experience a very partial, sure, but specific and also possibly impactful shutdown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we were hopeful because yesterday we heard from Borders our Tom Homan announcing ICE is pulling out of Minneapolis. Four thousand arrest have been made, there were three thousand immigrations on the ground, and of course all of that and the killings of Renee Good and Alex pretty led to this back and forth as standoff, so to speak, about funding the Department of Homeland Security. But if they can't find that way forward, lawmakers, by the way, aren't going to be back on the job until next Tuesday, because oh yeah, it's a holiday weekend. It's President's Day on Monday, and so everyone's got a long three day weekend, including the congressmen and women who are supposed to be making sure that our government runs. But if DHS does shut down, remember that means TSA, FEMA Coast Guard employees. None of them will be paid until the agency is refunded. We are told, as we were the last government shutdown, that most of those workers have to show up for work because their jobs are considered critical. But this is too much back to back, just payment disruptions for these folks who are literally protecting us and our safety as we make our way in this world from the seas to the skies. It's concerning in reminder.
Speaker 2: Just over time, they started calling in sick, trying to do other jobs, trying this is what calls disruptions and not having enough TSA workers. They say the FAA is not going to have They'll be funded, so we'll have air traffic controllers at least, but the TSA could be an issue. As we continue here on this Friday morning run, we want to head to South Carolina where a college campus there was in lockdown or was in lockdown around nine o'clock last night because there was a shooting on campus. Two people dead, another injured. This happened at South Carolina State University and HBCU there in the state. Happened at a residence hall. Officials have not released any details really about the shooting, no identities of the sus excuse me, the victims, and we don't know anything about the suspect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know this happened late last night, but it is deeply concerning. Can you imagine a shooting of murders in a dorm room and your kids are at school. That's deeply concerning. There's about three thousand students enrolled on campus. Classes, as you might imagine, are canceled for the day. To day. But this is one of two HBCUs in Orangeburg, South Carolina.
Speaker 2: That's because the first thing, you might have fat killer on your campus. Yes, living in a dorm, yes say yeah, that's a concerning one for that campus.
Speaker 1: Right, It's scary stuff, all right. Next up on the run, a federal judge has blocked Pete Hegseth's efforts to punish Senator Mark Kelly for participating in that video reminding members of the military they can refuse illegal orders. The judge didn't just make his ruling, though, and move on. He gave a tongue lashing to the Trump administration. He suggested that the Trump administration should be grateful to Kelly and other retired members of the military, rather than trampling on Senator Kelly's First Amendment freedoms.
Speaker 2: All right, this is District Judge Richard Leon, he said, and I'm quoting here. Rather than trying to shrink the First Amendment liberties of a retired service members, Secretary Hegseth and his fellow defendants might reflect and be grateful for the wisdom and ex expertise that retired service members have brought to public discussions and debate on military matters in our nation over the past two hundred and fifty years. If so, they will be more fully appreciative why the founding paupers made free speech the first amendment in the Bill of Rights.
Speaker 1: That was a lot, he put an exclamation point to a very trump of him. I mean, that was a lot. That was more than a ruling. It seemed personal. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: We've seen judges and they can make determinations this like he was personally attacking, and this is why they call them acts of as judges, they have the right, I guess to do this Rose, but he is putting himself right in the middle for criticism. However, we always have to report he was appointed by a Republican I hate doing that because judges aren't supposed to be this.
Speaker 1: Or that, and yet we constant point fingers at them, and when they do step in and give opinions, which I guess that is still a part of their job. But yes, he was appointed by George W. Bush, so he wasn't a democratic appointed judge.
Speaker 2: But he spanked Hexas intentionally and he knew what he was doing here. And Hexith said that this will be appealed immediately and added that sedition is sedition, Captain Woof.
Speaker 1: All right, and heg Seth said the Pentagon, by the way, if you wanted to know what this was all about. They were taking steps to downgrade Kelly's military retirement rank to reduce his pay, and so Kelly sued in January, saying that hexa's actions violated his First Amendment rights. And of course this judge agreed with Kelly and ruled against Hegseth. And this is also of note. This week, a grand jury refused to indict Kelly in the five other Democrats in that video. As the Trump administration was hoping they wanted to bring criminal charges against these lawmakers. A grand jury and reportedly unanimously decided not to hand down any indictments. All right.
Speaker 2: Next up on the run here, Golvin Sachs, top lawyer and former counsel for the Obama administration, is stepping down from her position after the DOJ's latest drop of Epstein files. The sky has been dead for how many years? And still has had a wide impact on our society, The powerful in our society. Emails, messages and photos between fifty four year old Katherine Rimmler and Jeffrey Epstein reveal a years long friendship. Problem here is that Rmler had previously insisted her relationship with Epstein was strictly professional, but the documents clearly show something else.
Speaker 1: Clearly, in them, Remler advises Epstein on how to respond to questions about his sex crimes, how to avoid media scrutiny. She talks about her dating life with him and refers to him as sweetie and uncle Jeffrey. In return, the documents show that Epstein introduced her to well known business people, gifted her with expensive spa treatments, luxury items, high end travel. In total, this is pretty significant. Remler was mentioned in more than ten thousand of the documents released late last month, and she just couldn't escape the scrutiny. She kept having headline after headline, so in announcing her resignation, she said, my responsibility is to put Goldman sachs interest first. But this was a shocker to a lot of people. They said, up until like a day ago, Goldman Sachs was vehemently defending her, and it didn't seem as though she was going anywhere. So she made a very big about face, much to the shock of her just folks in the industry, Uncle.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey, you continuing on the run here now. It is sentencing day today for the pair in the O Pair affair double murdered trial, twenty five year old Juliana Magahalas pleaded guilty to manslaughter for her role in scheming with her boss turned lover Brendan Banfield to kill his wife, Christine and another man. Magalas was allowed to plead to a lesser charge, even though she admitted to fatally shooting the man in exchange for her testimony against Banfield.
Speaker 1: So Banfield, as you may remember, was found guilty on all counts earlier this month and is facing life in prison without the possibility of parole. Prosecutors struck that deal with Maglais that she would be released after her sentencing hearing with credit for time already served. However, the judge today could still reject that agreement. Manslaughter in the state of Virginia is punishable by up to ten years in prison. Magli Is, by the way, spent a little over two years behind bars, but it is widely believed she will be set free today and heading home. Banfield is going to be sentenced in May and heads.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you all can hear it, but we're out in the middle of the jungle right now, and I don't know what animal that is.
Speaker 1: A large bird, very large bird.
Speaker 2: We feel like we're being circled. They look like they have a plan.
Speaker 1: It's like a Hitchcock movie right now. But yeah, I was like, we're in a serious subject, so I didn't feel like I could reference it. But thank you for doing so, because we don't know if you all can hear it. But it is exceptionally loud. Some angry birds, you know what.
Speaker 2: They can hear it. I'm looking at our monitor. He they can hear it all right. Next up on the run here three two one, and we had lyft off this morning. We watched very early four new crew members take off heading out into outer space, heading to the International Space Station. The NASA astronauts are expected to have a Valentine's Day hook up.
Speaker 1: They're going to be docking tomorrow. But I'm bump.
Speaker 2: They'll bring the space station back up to speed after the previous group had to leave early left a month early, remember, because of a medical issue with one of the crew members.
Speaker 1: So this new four person crew is expected to remain on the space station for about eight months. They say they're going to do a bunch of scientific experiments. They're going to research food production in space, along with other studies that NASA says will advance research and technology for future Moon and Mars missions and benefit humanity back on Earth. That's pretty cool. Two men and two women. Yeah, it's it was so fun to watch the launch. I love launches.
Speaker 2: Sorry, stay with us here on this Friday morning run. When we come back, Lebron has added something else to his record books, and this record has to do with how old he is. Also coming up gold metal diamond ring. We continue here on this Friday morning run roboc and I is still under assault from some birds we can't readily identify, but they seem angry. But we continue here on the run talking about Lebron James the storied long NBA career. He's forty one years old in his twenty third season, and he became now the oldest player to have a triple double. This in last night's victory over the Mavericks a little two minutes to go in the game, he had twenty eight points twelve assists.
Speaker 1: Then he got his tenth rebound, and after that tenth rebound he got a standing o from the crowd. It was one. It was his one hundred and twenty third career triple double and that is the fifth most in the in NBA history. So he could still probably get up there, right, He's got some time. He might be able to inch up there now. He's also heading to the NBA All Star Game this weekend, so he was having quite the time here this week. And the record was previously held in case you were wondering, by Carl Malone. He had a triple double at the age of forty. So good for these guys. This is crazy.
Speaker 2: My whole time watching growing up watching basketball, I always Carl Malon always seemed like an old man to me. No, if it is Carl, I'm just saying he was all like a forty year old guy. I'm forty eight. Then Carmelo used was an old man to me.
Speaker 1: Now Lebron James perspective is everything, isn't it? Last leg of our run? Here? Now she wins goal, she gets a ring. He put a ring on it.
Speaker 2: Olympic skier Breezy Johnson is engaged. Boyfriend was waiting for her at the bottom of her super g run.
Speaker 1: Yep, he got down on one knee in front of all the other skiers and proposed, and Johnson tearfully said yes. Apparently he had been planning this moment for a year. But this is hilarious, Johnson told reporters afterwards. Yeah, I kind of knew this was gonna happen because quote, I may have told him that I just always kind of had the dream of getting engaged at the Olympics. So she was like doing heavy hints, and it's funny, I was, I wrote this story heavy hints. Those were instructions. That's fair. We like to call them pints. You accept them as what they really are, which is instructions. But it was funny. I was going to say, yes, what you did teasing this that he she got gold and then she got a diamond. It actually was diamond. I had to change the script because she ended up getting it looked like they didn't say what it was a bluestone, but it looked like tanzanite to me. Maybe it was a sapphire. But it was beautiful and very unique and very cool. Okay, that's possible too. A better tease to say gold, And I know I will see, and I had written it like that that I had to go back and scrap my plans because I saw, Oh, it wasn't technically a diamond. By the way, that's a trend. You were setting it to get engaged without just a different stone. It's kind of cool, right, I was following. I love that, all right, and I love what she said. She said there is nothing better than doing well and having someone to share it with. I thought that was pretty pretty cool. Dude of Norway. Ooh, too soon, too soon? All right? As we leave you on this Friday the thirteenth, it is important to remember, as we pointed out at the beginning of this episode, that it is Valentine's Day tomorrow. It is a day of love. And so I found a quote that you and I both love from one of our favorite romantic movies. Ever, death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you pulled that out today. We could have nothing but Princess Bride Wesley quotes for the rest of the year, and we wouldn't have to go looking because we know that movie line by line. But yes, that is one of a sweeter kind of a cheesy moment, but it was a sweet kind and it is a reminder. It is a sweet line.
Speaker 1: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while. I think that's beautiful. And guys, by the way, if you want to have a beautiful, beautiful Valentine's Day tomorrow, you can take another quote from the movie Princess Bride as you wish. It works every time. And with that, we always appreciate you running with us.
Speaker 2: Oh now I am CJ. Holmes certainly look forward to it running with you soon. But you really it's a special day. We've done some talk to some Valentine's Day stuff, but it's always a if you need an excuse, take advantage of this one and let somebody know you care about them. It's not just a matter of who you might be dating. That's a family member's friends all around. It's a sweet day. So I look forward to getting back to New York and seeing the men rushing up and down the street and out of Dwayne Reed with the flowers and the chalkings.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is one of our favorite people watching days of the year, so we will be actively engaged in that. But we hope you all have a beautiful Valentine's Day, a wonderful weekend, and we will run with you soon