Speaker 1: Hands on with Apple's five hundred ninety nine dollars game changing laptop, the AI personality test that creates a fifty page report about you, and Android can now help airlines find your lost luggage. What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you want some tech advice. Email is also open. Just go to Rich on tech dot TV and hit contact. That's Rich on tech dot TV and hit contact. Guests this week, we've got Andrew O'Hara from Apple Insider. He was at the Apple event with me. This week, we're gonna break down some of Apple's latest announcements, including refreshed MacBooks, iPads, iPhone seventeen E and of course the Neo. And later in the show, I as actar Mobile Analyst at PC mag we'll talk from Mobile World Congress about some of the biggest trends he saw at this year's show in Barcelona. Well, I hope you're having a fantastic week. Welcome to you, thanks for joining me here on the show. This week, I headed to New York City for just a quick forty eight hour trip. I was there for Apple's I did not have my pick. I would have probably gone to Shanghai. That would have been pretty cool. But here's the deal with Apple. They're so secretive. They told everyone that they invited, do not tell anyone where this is. So I could not. I walked around the block no less than fifteen minutes trying to find this place because there was no signs, there was nothing. And so finally once I got in, it was like, ah, the whole Apple set up. I mean, they really transformed this place. It looked like an Apple store, and they had a little kind of keynote first off, and then they let us all into this back room that had all the Apple products, all the new stuff to check out. One quick New York side note. By the way, I found a hotel room near Times Square. Forget this under two hundred dollars a night. How did I do that? I will tell you about that later. In the show. I am so proud of myself for that one. So what did we get? Apple updated a bunch of products this week, the MacBook Air, which I have in my cart right now, the MacBook Pro, the iPhone seventeen E. But the one that I'm going to talk about right now that really is just a game changer is this MacBook Neo. Apple has gotten everything right with this. Well that's debatable, but they got a lot right with this, especially the price. Five one hundred ninety nine dollars. Wait, what hold on, let me get up. I just fell off my chair. Five hundred ninety nine dollars for an Apple MacBook computer four hundred ninety nine dollars if you qualify for education pricing, and a lot of people do, teacher students, all that good stuff. So Apple is going directly after Chromebooks and after cheap Windows laptops in a way that I've never seen before. This is the most affordable MacBook that Apple has ever sold. And I think the attention this laptop is getting, the pre orders it's getting, this thing is going to be off the charts. Why because it's exactly what people need. It's not the fanciest it's not the highest powered machine. But you know, if you need a MacBook Air, or if you need a MacBook Pro, or if you need a high end desktop computer, a gaming pc. No, this is for everyone else. Everyone who just says I need a computer, and I say, what do you want to do on that computer? I don't know, surf the web, watch videos, do my email? Okay, fine, MacBook Neo, that's perfect. Now. Apple is powering this computer with an A eighteen pro chip inside. That is a chip that previously powered an iPhone. Wait what an iPhone chip in a laptop. Yes, it makes a ton of sense because think about it. Think about how people are using their iPhone. They're already doing everything on their phone. They're doing emails, all the stuff I just mentioned, emails, watching videos, editing videos, editing photos, recording things. I mean, this is basically a glorified iPhone that has a bigger screen and a keyboard. Who doesn't want that? You get more space and a track pad of course. All right, so speck wise, you know, if you're comparing this and you're saying Ridge, okay, well tell me the specs is probably not that good for that price. I mean, it's stuff that's been proven. You get a thirteen inch screen, you get sixteen hours of battery life, you get a ten edp camera. Okay, find not the best. Dual mics, dual speakers that, by the way, support spatial audio, two USBC ports, headphone jack, Wi Fi, Bluetooth, and it runs the full Mac os. What does that mean? That means that on like a Chromebook where you're limited to pretty much web apps, this is a real mac If you want to put Final Cut Pro in this thing, you can. Now I don't know if it supports those specs, but the point is you can install real apps on this thing, and people are gonna do that. They're gonna put the apps that they want on here. And if you have an iPhone, which a lot of people coming to this probably will, you're gonna get that magic of how Apple. You know, one of my favorite things is you copy something on your computer, you paste it on your iPhone. Simple, all that stuff that you can do iPhone mirroring, handoff text messages. Now, this is a an inexpensive computer, you know, by I guess most standards for laptops, but they did not make this thing feel cheap. It feels very apply in fact, it's aluminum. It's lightweight, under three pounds. Comes in four fun colors of course, Indigo, blush, silver, and citrus. And it's different than most budget laptops. When people ask me for a budget laptop, I cringe at what I'm about to recommend them because it's bulky, it's ugly. It just doesn't look or feel nice. This one's also fanless. Think about this as almost like an iPad with a keyboard, almost like an iPhone iPad keyboard machine. That's really what it is. There's no touch screen. That's the first thing I did when I put my hands on this machine. I went to touch the screen, and the person at apples like, no, it's not a touch screen. I'm like, oh, can I not touch it? Or is it not touch screen? Like no, no, just don't touch it. Don't it's not a touch screen. And yes, there are compromises. It only comes with eight gigabytes of RAM, which means nothing to a lot of people, but in the tech world you probably want closer to sixteen for a proper laptop, two hundred and fifty six gigs of storage, and if you want more storage or a fingerprint sensor, you have to pay extra. That's one hundred dollars extra. That'll double your storage, but you still have to get locked into that eight gigs of memory that RAM. So what does that mean. It means that, you know, if you're trying to have fifteen thousand apps all open at the same time, it may not perform that well. But in my testing when I went hands on, I mean I had a bunch of stuff open. I did a bunch of stuff on this computer, and it was fine. There was one tiny little hesitation when I opened up a big giant file, but that's to be expected. But for most people, again, this is going to be perfectly fine. So any of the early criticism that people say, oh, well it doesn't have this, doesn't have this premium feature, where's the back lit keyboard, where's the faster chip, where's more ram doesn't matter. You know, my mom does not know what more ram is. She's going to try this thing and say, oh, this works great, this is perfect. I love this thing. Apple's not trying to win the spec sheet war here, It's trying to win the recommendation war from people like me, and every single tech person that I've seen pretty much agrees that this is going to be the best answer for people when they say I just need a basic computer, that's all I need. This is going to be for a lot of people. Now on the Windows side, I think there's two sides to the effect here. Number one, when with the Windows computers, they're going to see sales drop because people are going to start recommending this Mac computer for an inexpensive everyday computer. On the good side of things, it's going to force Windows manufacturers to do things better, to stop shipping PCs that are sluggish, junkie software pop ups. Hey saw this, do that hardware that's just not very good. And for Chrome books, this is going to give them a run for their money because, let's be real, a lot of these students that have chromebooks, they know they're cheap. They cost you one hundred and fifty two hundred dollars, and they don't feel very good. Now, schools will probably continue using them because they can keep them under wrap, and you know, they can lock them down and there's not much students do on them. But this might put the MacBook back in classrooms in a bigger way. So bottom line, I think Apple is going to sell a ton of these things. Again. It's called the MacBook Neo. It's available March eleventh, and I think it's going to be one of Apple's most popular computers for just about anyone who wants a simple computer that is high quality and lasts. Now. I did post about this on my Facebook page. I got hundreds of comments. People love the price. People see it as a student or education machine. People see it as a great best computer, sorry, basic computer, email, browsing, zoom, writing papers. That eight gigabytes of RAM, if you know that, that's where people had the biggest issue, they said. Thomas said that eight gigs of RAM, though Christian said, my iPad pro is still more powerful, and Jason said he's worried about software compatibility, but as far as I can tell, you can install a lot of software on this thing. What else I have more? Oh yeah. A lot of people compared it to the ip pad. Andrew said, feels like they took an iPad and added a keyboard. And that's the wild thing here. If you get one of these Apple Magic keyboards, a magic keyboard for an iPad starts at two hundred and fifty dollars, So basically, if you're a student, for another two fifty you get a whole computer. That's wild. Sean says they should have let iPad pro run macOS. I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And Windows users say, you know what, I think I might switch to a Mac. We're gonna see a lot of people switch to Mac because of this. All right, if you want to learn more about that, go to my website rich on Tech dot tv. I've got all my thoughts about the MacBook Neo coming up. We've got a great show eight A eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We'll take your calls. Plus, I'll tell you about the AI personality test that promises a major report about you. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology. A triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology or need some tech advice. I will tell you one thing. Please follow me on Instagram. I'm not saying that because I'm trying to boost my numbers on there. I could care less. I wouldn't even be on there if I wasn't wanting to help you out and I'm at rich on Tech and let me tell you why I get messages every single day from you, people like you, And what are they asking me? They're asking me, Hey, Rich, is this a scam? Is that a scam? I just downloaded this software to my computer. Now I'm worried. And nine times out of ten I have done a post about whatever they're experiencing and giving them these warnings, but yet they don't see that, they don't see them, and next thing you know, they are downloading like this one email I just got, or message I just got. This person downloaded an attachment from one of these fake invitations that are going around right now, and now they've got some remote access software on their computer. Now that all would have been avoided if they were following me on Instagram and not just following me. But I would say, I would argue, I think there's a way on Instagram to like get an alert every time you post something. And I'm not saying you have to do that, but I think you tap those three dots and you say add to favorites, and I think that will show you more of my stuff. Because just because you post something to Instagram does not mean all of your followers see it. You know, there's an algorithm at stake there. But when a lot of these things bubble up, and a lot of these scam posts that I do, they go kind of viral because people want to share with their friends. And here's the thing, because so many of you are emailing me on a daily basis, I'm seeing all of this stuff first, so I see stuff before it even bubbles up to the general public, like these scam invitations. So I posted about those scam invitations. Let's see, I'm scrolling back, scrolling back back on January thirtieth, that is at least five weeks ago. They are still going around. People are still getting them, people are still seeing them for the first time. So again, if you are following me and seeing this stuff, you'd say, ah, I already heard about that. I already know what not to do here. So again it's at rich on Tech follow me there, mostly because I am trying to keep you up to date with the stuff that is trying to scam you. And then that way, even if you're tech savvy, you can share that on your stories to your friends so that they are aware, Like, I can't believe this one I got yesterday from someone. They said, Rich, is this legit? And it was this thing that's been going around on Facebook for years now, this idea that if I got a copy and post, copy and paste this message so that Facebook does not have access, I hereby declare that I do not give Facebook meta my permission to use any of my personal data. And now they added AI to the mix. But give me a break. You're posting something to Facebook saying you don't have permission to use my data. That's their entire business is using your data. So again people are posting this, they're saying, I hereby declare I do not give Facebook the right to use anything. Yeah, you already did that in the terms of service when you sign up. If you don't want a site to use your data, don't sign up with the website or pay for it. That's the only way you know they're not using your data most of the time. Let's go to Mike in Austin, Texas. Mike, what's up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I called before. I have a one of those dual routers that does the two point four to five whatever the numbers are. Yeah, and I cannot print from my phone, my laptop or anything. To it, and I called you about it, and I just couldn't figure it out. So I thought, you know what to heck with the router. I bought a cable and hooked my laptop up to the printer and they're both different brands and neither one will still print. So now I don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: Well, you got to get this. You got to get this printer on the network. That's the bottom line. So the two you know, you've got two two networks happening there. You've got the five gigaherts and you've got the two point four gigaherts. Those are two different spectrums. Usually the printer may just talk to one of those, which I'm guessing is the two point four. So what you have to do is you've got to go into your settings and if you're using Spectrum. I do remember this call now because I got a bunch of emails afterwards, people said, you gotta tell Mike to go into the Spectrum app and you can toggle the two point four spectr the two point four gigahertz network so that the printer has an opportunity to connect to that. So unless this is a really old printer, that's just having a lot of trouble connecting, it should just connect to that network if you give it a chance. So a couple other things I would do. Number one, make sure that the software is updated on this printer, So go in to the firmware and update whatever this thing you know connected. Well, hold on, I just realized you can't get this thing on the internet, So how are you gonna connect it with the to get the firmware updates? So what I would do is I would I would physically reset, like, do a factory reset on this printer. So whatever printer this is, google that and say factory reset. Do a factory reset, start it up from fresh and see it. Don't even change anything, and just see if you can get it to connect to your new spectrum router. If you can't, then go into your spectrum map, or you can go into the router itself. Usually the information is pasted on the bottom of the router that explains how to get into the router. You go in there, you switch it into it may be called compatibility mode, it may just be called two point four gigahertz. You turn that on and then you try connecting the printer. And once you connect the printer there. It should stay connected even after the network starts spitting out that five gigahertz signal as well, because it'll still it'll still understand that connection with the printer. And then once you have that, I would update the printer with the software and the firmware, make sure it's all up to date, and that should do it. The other thing you can do is a lot of printers have what's called direct connections, so you can connect your computer directly to the Wi Fi signal that the printer itself spits out. So if you look up the name of your printer and just say Wi Fi direct, it should tell you how to turn on that Wi Fi printer Wi Fi network. It's almost it almost turns the printer into its own little hot spot. And so once you do that, you can connect your computer to that hot spot and print directly that way. But you know, Mike, we're already breaking the rules here of no printer questions, because we know that printers are notoriously the most impossible thing to fix, uh with with tech support, and what it usually what you usually need to do is just restart everything and your printer will miraculously connect. Now, if you had a connection before, I would say and spectrum change something. That's when you have to go through and just factory reset it. But keep me posted, Mike, send me an email, let me know if you figure it out, because I don't know about you, but I've got, you know, printers at two different workplaces and two different printers at home, and nine times out of ten they work, but there's always that one time they don't. And also check your VPN sometimes if you have that ACTIVATD it's not gonna work. Thanks for the call, Mike, appreciate it. Eighty to eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Uh, Steve, Oh we're going. We gotta go. Okay, we gotta go. Eighty eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Rich on Tech dot TV. Coming up. I will get to Steve's question he emailed and this AI personality test I took it. You can too. I'll explain. Coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Tomuro here hanging out with you, talking technology triple A rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website is rich on tech dot tv. If you want links to anything I mentioned there, it is all on the website. This is episode one sixty four. Steve writes in Hey, Rich, I love everything you do. I learned so much from you. My wife wants to add someone to a picture, but we're struggling to figure out how we use Google Photos and can't find a way to do it. Is there way to add a person who isn't already in the photo? Absolutely, Steve. I had to try this myself because I know it works. And this is actually it's funny you say this because this was one of the features that Samsung showed off with their new Galaxy S twenty six Ultra, where you can literally use their AI built into the gallery to add something to your picture, whether that's a person or an object or a dog, and they made a big deal out of it. But what Google, what Samsung's doing is they're actually running a lot of stuff on Gemini in the background. And so I had a hunch you can do this on Gemini, and you absolutely could. So just take your two pictures, make sure you've got them on there. Go to Gemini dot Google dot com, upload the first picture and then upload the second picture. Or you can say something like upload the first picture and then you can say add this person to the other picture, and no joke, the AI will generate the photo with both of them included. It is really really good. I mean it's I did it, and it's just it's so funny how good it is. Like this if you have not tried the Nano Banana, which, by the way, now they're up to Nano Banana two, like they're already on the second generation of this image generation tool inside Google's Gemini. It's truly incredible. Like the stuff you can do there, you will not believe. It's stuff that mere mortals were never able to do by themselves. I'm talking any kind of photo edit, any kind of fix, anything you want. It can be done inside Nano Banana. It might take you a few tries to get it perfect, but it's really good, you know. Restore old photo, add someone to a photo, subtract someone from a photo, subtract an object, remove the background, change about whatever you want. It's all so easy, and it's free. By the way, now it's limited to how many you can do on a day unless you pay the other thing and I've talked about this before on the show, is that I am now coding my own apps using Gemini. So you tap this thing called Canvas and you can just say what kind of app you want. So last week I told you that I made this image resizor app that is just the absolute best image resizer I've ever used. It does exactly what I want, and it's amazing and it looks beautiful. And now this week I needed a new thing for my newsletter. I wanted to have where it adds a little at rich on tech Reference when I put a URL in there and it does that. I want, you know, if I send people to a website, I want that website to know, hey, rich On tech Scent, you know sent me, so that they say, oh, thank you rich And so I made that and it works so perfectly. And then not only can you make the app, but you can keep refining it to do exactly what you need. So after I use my little reference my referral link cleaner thing, I said, oh, I would like the last five links where I can copy like I want them as a history on the bottom. So if I need to go back when I'm doing something, I can just I don't have to do it all over again. Sure enough, there you go. Sure, let me just revise that app So if you're not trying this stuff, at least give it a try. I know AI is scary. AI is going to ruin every job in the world, but it's also doing some things that are really, really incredible. Speaking of AI, this new personality test it's called Deep Personality. It promises a deep psychological analysis powered by AI. So it combines twenty eight research based psychology assessments into one test you can complete in under an hour. I did this yesterday. I was writing my newsletter and I just said, okay, let me take this so I can before I write about it. Obviously I want to try it, and so I got down the rabbit hole. You sign up, it's free, and you start answer questions, and man, these questions are personal. I mean you could tell where they're going. It's like every single aspect of who you are and your personality. It's the stuff that like if you went to a therapist or a psychologist, they'd probably ask you like all these tests. It uses the Big five personality traits attachment style, anxiety, depression screening ADHD. I don't have that. Thankfully, I found that out plus your personal values and once you finish, it generates a fifty plus page AI report. So yeah, it's clear that it's written by AI. But it analyzes your personality patterns, your strengths, your blind spots, relationship tendencies. And then this is where it gets interesting. They have a compare tool, so you can have your partner or a friend or a coworker take the same test, and the system will analyze how your personalities interact. Now, my wife keeps asking me, She's like, should I take this? I'm like, I don't know. What if this thing is like, uh, does not compute? Does not compute? And we've been married for what twenty years now? And what if we find out we are not compatible? That would be horrible. Creators say the goals to give people an owner's manual for their personality. And here's the other really interesting thing. I'm probably gonna lose you all now because you're all gonna go take this test. You're gonna stop listening. Here's what you can do. It actually gives you a button where you can export all of its findings and then plug it in to chat, EBT or claude, and now you have a chatbot that knows you. So I have me, I named mine Me, and now I can say, Hey, I'm going to a party tonight. Tell me how I should interact with my friends. Now that's silly because I already know how I'm gonna interact. But my point is you can use this and it understands you. Hey, I've got a big project coming up, I'm procrastinating. Why do you think I'm procrastinating? And one of the best ways to get around that procrastination. And because it knows your exact personality, it's gonna give you the tools you need. Now keep in mind before you send me the angry emails. This is not therapy. It is not replacing real therapy, real therapists, real psychologists. And you know this is an online assessment. It's good for self reflection. And you know, of course, there are privacy concerns, So you know I taught you about using email aliases. That's what I used. So I didn't sign up with my real email address. I made one of these cloaked emails. So if my information, if I turn out to be crazy and they've got to commit me because of what I typed into this whole thing. They're never gonna be able to find me. I mean, I don't think that's gonna happen, but you never know. Oh who knows. Maybe this was all trap just to get all my personal information. But I did answer it truthfully, and here's what I asked it to give me a blurb about myself. I am a curious, mind structured thinker. I'm someone who loves exploring new ideas and turning them into something useful. I'm driven by learning, building and sharing insights that help people understand the world a little better. Always experire me, always improving, and always looking for the next interesting thing to figure out. If that doesn't describe me in three sentences perfectly, I don't know what does. So it's proof that this thing actually does kind of work. Anyway, If you want the link, go to the website. Now, I'm just kidding. I'm not gonna i'll give you the link. It is deep Personality dot app Deep Personality dot app. Of course I will link that up on the website. Rich on tech dot tv Deep Personality dot App. It is eye opening. Let me just let me update this right here online personality test. I'll put that, just to make sure that link is there when you go to the website, because one thing is my biggest pet peeve. Especially this is coming from working on TV. When people say, oh, go to the website for more information. You go to that website and guess what, It's not there. It's just nowhere to be found. Or you're hunting and pecking and trying to find this thing. I have made up my goal on KTLA when I I say to people, hey, go to the website for more information. You go to my website. Rich on tech dot TV. It is there. In fact, I even added a little star at the top so I can even call it out for certain segments I do where I'll say, go tap the star at the top, and I'll make sure it's right there. Rich on tech dot TV.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: I got an email from Marsha on Northridge said, I bought a new Galaxy S twenty five Ultra last December. None of my battery packs seem to fit it. I have an older Samsung Fast Charged battery pack, but the chord that came with it doesn't fit my new phone. My husband suggested buying a converter USBA to USBC, so I ordered it from Amazon. It still didn't fit. Then I spent hours searching for a new Samsung battery pack. I found one online, they said that in ship where I live. So I ordered a Balkan and the cord is too small and falls out of my phone. Can I just get a chord from my old battery pack that works with my new phone? Or do I need a new one? My current one weighs about two pounds. We travel a lot. No, here's the deal, Marcia. Just get a new a new pack. They're cheap enough, and your old one, you know who knows what the deal is with that one. The Galaxy S twenty five Ultra uses what's called USBC, So what you want is a USBC output, and you want one that preferably has a USBC cable built into it. So you don't want to adapt or you don't want to use that because that's annoying. So the easiest thing is to find a case that had or a charger or a portable battery pack that has a USBC cable. Ten thousand million hours is probably sufficient, but if you travel a lot, you want that twenty thousand million hour. It's going to be a little bit Bulk, you're a little bit bigger, and so I recommend Belkin. They've got a great one. If you go on Belkan and look for Belkan USB CWY ten thousand million hours power bank, you'll find one. I'll link it up on the website. But basically they've got one with the power cables built in. That's the one that I like the most, and so I'll up because I think it's easier. The other one I really like is from Ecoflow and this one would also work on there. But the problem is the the Samsung Ultra doesn't have mag Safe built in, and I'm not sure if you have a case with that. So I would say just get the plug in one. It's much easier. So I'll link it up on the website rich on Tech dot TV. But get yourself a battery pack. You need it. Don't travel without it. I always travel everywhere with a battery pack and a cable that I did talk about my newsletter this week. All right, eight to eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. I see the phone lines. I see you guys. I will get you coming up right here on rich On Tech. Welcome back, to rich on Tech Rich DeMuro here talking technology at triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website is rich on tech dot tv. Uh links there. Everything I mentioned is right there. Let's go to Stephanie in Glendora. Stephanie, you're on with Rich Oh Hi, Rich.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a question. Maybe it's simple for you, but it's not for me. I've been using Google's for a long time for several years, but I like the Samsung flip phone. I just love it. I tried that once after being on Google system for a long time, and I just couldn't do it. It was very I found it very confusing to try to use it. Is there any way to to make a Samsung flip phone work similarly to the Google Pixel?
Speaker 1: Okay? This is uh okay. So you're saying you like the flip the Samsung like the Flip seven or.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the flip Yeah, the flip phone. I don't know if they're ld right the same way, but I like that flip.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you can't. You don't like the software that Samsung puts on.
Speaker 4: The right okay?
Speaker 5: It just drives me nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, So It's funny you say this because I probably spent the first ten years of my Samsung life making my samsungs act more like Pixels. Because I agree, I love I mean, the Pixel software is clean, it's simple, it's intuitive, and Samsung runs on the same kind of base engine. I mean, they both run Android, but Samsung heavily skins their software and puts their own kind of flavor on it, right, they put their own spin on it. So I would say I've tested every single way. I've tested every single way to make a Samsung more pixel like, and I will tell you what I did at the end of the day. Okay, I just went with what Samsung does, because here's a deal. You can add all the software you want. You can add launchers, you can change the icons, you can do all this stuff, and at the end of the day, the phone just doesn't function as well as it does with Samsung's actual software. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I will say a lot of it is like muscle memory, like for instance, with the Android. You know, for me, on the Pixel, you swipe up from the home screen and boom, You're you're right into like tapping to search for things and stuff like that. So it's really easy, you know, So you can put like a launcher on there, Like there's the popular launcher is Nova, which you can put on there. There's one called lawn chair. But have you even heard of a launcher? Do you even understand what that is?
Speaker 5: Well, I've googled it, and you know, I get the AI information. I've seen that, but I've never really tried. Maybe you know a simple way to do this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you could. I mean, like lawn chair is the one that looks the most like Pixel, so you can install. The beauty of an Android phone is that you can install software on it to make it pretty much do and act however you want. But I find personally, the more software I add to it, the more it's not as smooth or as fluid, or things just don't work as well. And so when I've installed all these different launchers on a on a Samsung, like the Nova and the lawnchair, there's ones that look just like Pixel, Like I think there might be one called pixel launcher, but don't even don't there isn't one, But I think lawnchair is the one that launchair.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm seeing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not I don't even think it's Let's see, it's open source. It's the last time I was updated on December twenty seventh, so I would say try that. See if you want to install that on your phone, see if that works for you. But here's the thing, I just I feel I was updated on February twenty eighth, so it was recently updated, So I would try that's probably your best bet. If you install launch Air from the Google Play Store, that's going to make your phone like an like a pixel, like instantly, and so that's your best bet. So if you like that, stick with it.
Speaker 5: Okay, do you think and because you made it sound like Samsung doesn't really allow you to use some thing different that would you know, alter the way they do things. So even if you this launcher will alter it so it will work like a pixel or oh yeah, there's still going to be some problems.
Speaker 1: No, no, they'll let you. I I find and I don't. I don't wanna. I don't want to make you think something that you don't know. But like what when I use these things, I feel like the phone is not as responsive. I feel like I have to tap the icons a couple of times I feel like things are not like as smooth as the animations, but those are all those are all rich problems. If you use this and you install it and you like it, then why not, right, But and you can try it. And here's the deal. So what your homework, Okay, your homework, Stephanie, is to install this launch air launcher. See if you like it. Make sure it's set as your launcher because like you have to make sure it's your defaults. You have to go into settings and there's instructions on how to do that, but as your default and try it, you know, and you know, just try put some icons on the homescreen. Yeah you like it. If you hate it, just install it and uninstall it and your phone goes back to the way it was. Okay, there's really no harm, no foul in this. It's not like it's not like the old days when I started out installing what was called ROMs. So back in the day, I would take a Samsung phone and I would install a ROM on it, which is like a completely new operating system from the ground up. And those were always wonky because nothing would work right. But I know, I was younger back then, Stephanie, I had more time on my hands to fiddle with stuff like this.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, okay, I'll try that and see that works.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, what I will tell you is I love the Pixel I love the Pixel software, and I wish that Google and Samsung would come to an agreement and say, hey, let's make a version of these phones that run the Pixel software, because we know so many people love it. But the Pixel phones are so underpowered for people, and they don't you know, they don't come in every single flavor like the Samsung does give us some options, right, yeah, I agree, But I will also tell you. I will also tell you that I think Samsung software has gotten a lot better over the years, and if you learn to kind of embrace it, it's not that bad. It's just a little you know, there's like a little things here and there that I don't But at this point, my S twenty six Ultra is set up just you know, with the stock stuff, and I've got it set up to do what I need to do, and it, you know, it works really well.
Speaker 5: So okay, all right, sounds good, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Stefanie, Well, thank you Rich, Thanks for the call. Appreciate it today, Okay, bye eighty eight rich one oh one eighty eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's see here, as Stefani in San Diego says, Hey, Rich, I've been a fan of your work for a while. I watch your TV segments, follow you on social media, and love the newsletter. Oh my gosh, the trifecta. Oh no, she didn't mention the radio show. Never mind. Even though my family doesn't always follow along, I send them links and screenshots of the tips you share. Thank you, Oh my gosh, speaking of advice, Okay, I'll get to this after the break. Eighty eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. More rich on Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Get in on the phone lines if you want to be on the show for some tech advice or you got a tech question.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Before we went to break, uh a. Stefani and San Diego wrote in and said she enjoys the segments, but I try to save the tips you mentioned so I can find them later. But regular bookmarks on my web browser are not working. I do most of my browsing and research on my phone. At one point I copied all my open tabs put them into Claude how to organize them into a note, but it was very clunky. Do you have any recommendations for a better way to manage websites or save useful links? Yes? I use an app called Raindrop dot io rain Drop dot io and it works on both your computer and also on your iPhone. That's one way of doing it. There's also another app that if you are just on iPhone that's pretty handy. It's called Plinky p l i n ky Planky dot app and so you can download that on your iPhone and basically it's a way to just remember things, anything that you want to read later or you know, reference later. I use Raindrop dot Io. I like it because it's cross platform, and you know, if you listen to me, I like things that are cross platform. Plinky is beautiful, but it is pretty much right now on the iPhone. It's kind of a Mac thing iPhone, iPad and Mac and so it looks like, yeah, it's just you can save things through your Chrome browser extension. But you know, you've got folders, you've got tags, you can search. The plank key actually looks it's like a modern version of rain Drop. Raindrop's been around forever, so it's a little more like old school looking, but it does the trick. And so what I do is so Raindrop you can pay like twenty eight dollars a year where if you bookmark a website to find it later, you can add tags manually, or if you pay the thirty dollars a year or whatever it is, it will tag it automatically. And it also has a lot of other features for that price. But this is kind of embarrassing, but I will go through and I will use chat ebt to give me those tags and I'll put them in because I'm saving the twenty eight dollars. I know, what is it, penny wise, pound foolish. It's like so silly. It's like, just pay the thirty bucks rich for something you like anyway. So that's it Raindrop, dot Io and Plinky. There's a million in one of these apps that you know can help remember stuff for later. But those are two that I think are some of the better ones, and I like them because they both have browser extensions, So when you're browsing the web on Chrome or Firefox or Safari, you can send stuff right to these apps and read it later or you know, look at it later. Great question, Great question. Estefani eighty eight, rich one On one eighty eight seven four two four one zero one. Marianne in Los Angeles, what's up?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 2: Yeah? There you are?
Speaker 1: You are you're?
Speaker 6: Are you doing good?
Speaker 1: You sound like you're underwater? Are you on the Titanic?
Speaker 7: Let me kick out?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's probably what's happening. Oh so I thought you were like at like, you know, SeaWorld or something. I know, like of those underwater you know, with like the fish or above you.
Speaker 7: No, hey, welcome to my world. But anyways, I wanted to please walk kind of go back a few weeks ago. You were speaking about a brother's printer, and I kid you not. I have my MSc four six five C as in Kathy, and it's Nancy for eighteen years. Oh my god, a color I'm gonna give me. I think older than your son cartridge. It literally never had a paper jam. It died after Christmas, and I had a paper jam. But I took all the paper out. There was one sheet of paper. I think the sences just die. Perhaps you know at this point are deserving the printer. So I bought a new one. But my point being is that I just think they're you know, they felt like a tank like you had mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I used that.
Speaker 7: I used that colored printer just for special projects. I also love it because I can make photo copies like a hard copy. I get a copy of something I don't want to do PDF or whatever, I can make a make beautiful, wonderful cleric copy. The quality is excellent.
Speaker 1: Well a secret. Which one did you get? What did you replace it with?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's me right now. I bought the MFC dash teas and Palm nine eight zero d's and David w as M William Okay, and that one's an INCA ink tank printer.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Yes, I love the ink tanks. I think they're great.
Speaker 7: Yea, yeah, well it's the first one I bought. Yeah, and I was a little apprehensive. I'm like, oh, but I think they're all the printers that are going that route now. Excellent quality, it's one hundred times faster, yes, and it gives me all the features that I want.
Speaker 1: I I've got a brother ink tank at home, and I've got a I'm sorry, I've got sorry an EPs and ink tank. I need to actually I need to get a brother to try, like to test it out, because right now I've I've tested the HP and I've tested the Epsen and they're both you know, they both have their pros and cons, but they're both ink tank. And you know, it's interesting because HP, I'm sure did not want to go ink tank because they make a lot of money on their ink cartridges. Like the last ones I bought for my printer before were like two hundred dollars and it was like this is crazy, like two hundred dollars on inc Like what so I think they kind of fought that trend. But that's I think people like the tank because you feel more in control. You can see it through the window, like how much ink you have left? It feels real versus these cartridges. You're like, hold on, is there like one millimeter of ink in that cartridge? Like what's going on here?
Speaker 7: I know, I think over a period of time, be on the show, I do think they evaporate over time. It doesn't say that, but I'm based on my experience, but I wanted to emphasize that on the New Brothers. I bought this particular style because it only has the USB port for my thumb drive. Oh how many other ones do not? But I can also hook this up Wi Fi yes to my computer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and your phone.
Speaker 7: Oh there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, this is great. This is I'm looking at it right now. This looks this perfect. I mean it's is it about five hundred bucks? This one's like four sixty.
Speaker 7: Nine, it's about four God, I think it's for sixty nine anything like that.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's on the price your side. But you're getting you're getting all the features. Like you said, it's got the USB, it's got the little color display, it's got the automatic document feeder, duplex print. You know, these are all things that are there premium. So there are cheaper ones out there, but this has like pretty much every feature you would want.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I think this one was the Cadillac. Yeah, and it's just for my knees because I'm sorry for home purposes, So this is my serves my knees. The quality is just the curb and it's faster.
Speaker 5: Than the speed of light.
Speaker 1: Yes, sixteen sixteen pages per minute. That's that's pretty good. That's really fast.
Speaker 7: Wow, yeah, really fast.
Speaker 1: Well I do, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry on my other printer, the previous one I had about too, and that one was really slow, which was that it was very slow the first printer I bought.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you returned there, I got this.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, all right, Well, thank you.
Speaker 1: Uh, Marianne, we're losing a little bit on your signal there, but that was uh, you know, you've got some good recommendations. And I again, the standard printer that people just love is this brother h L L two four six zero DW. It's just a simple black and white printer. It's under two hundred dollars. That's the one that I had, maybe not that exact model number, but I had it for no less than ten years. And my kids bugged me, Dad, we need a color printer, Dad, we need color. I said, no, you guys can color these pages in. I said, that's more fun for you, and they said, no, we need color. So I bought the color printer and the ink was just it was like the printer was nothing. And then all of a sudden. It was just you know, it was just much more you know, spending on that ink anyway, So now I'm testing the ink tanks. I like those, but I still miss my laser jet. I loved my laser jet because well that's a brand name, I think, but I love my laser printer. I think laser jet is an HP thing. But laser printer is what I had from brother and I just if you just need black and white, simple workhorse, grab the the brother and I'll put it on the website. Rich on tech dot TV. Let's see here. So it's tell me, I've got about a minute left. Is that right? Okay? It is right? Okay, So let's uh, let's see here. What can I do in a minute? Oh my gosh, okay, Trish, Hey, Rich, I love watching you on TV. I keep getting phone messages I'm losing storage space and encouraging me to download a cleanup app. What do you recommend? Well, first off, those storage warning messages sound bogus because Apple doesn't really recommend you to get a cleanup app. They don't say that, but those maybe ads you're seeing from third parties. But if you want a good cleanup app, the one that I recommend. If you listen to this show, you already know what I'm gonna say. It's Clever Cleaner c L e v e R Cleaner. So if you're trying to clean up all the photos and things on your phone, Clever Cleaner is the one I like. You know why because it does not have any ads, it does not have any payments. It's not bogus. It's really good. And so if you want to clean up some storage on your iPhone, that's the app that I like. I will put a link to it because I know I get the emails from people say, Rich, I downloaded this one. It's not the right one Clever Cleaner, make sure you get the right one. You can also check your settings on the iPhone settings General iPhone Storage and that will show you exactly what is taking up space. But this is one of the biggest issues in our world in twenty twenty six. Cloud storage versus physical storage. The line between them is very tricky for a lot of people to figure out, like where is this stuff and why is it taking up so much space? Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up. I'll tell you how Android can now help you find your lost luggage, just like the air tags do. I'll explain coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Everything we just talked about, all those printers, the apps and the yeah, the app to clean up your iPhone, it's all linked up on the website rich on Tech dot TV. And I went and I checked because I've been talking about Clever Cleaner for a while, and so I went to their app store listing. It's only for iPhone, by the way, and I just made sure that they're still not charging anything for that app or there's no in app purchases. So one of the best ways I think to figure out if I should download an app, because almost every app works on this kind of freemium plan where basically you can download the app, but you're gonna use it for a minute, and all of a sudden they're gonna ask you, hey, subscribe. Like this great disposable camera app I have, It's like it really pushes you to subscribe, and you can tell this This is actually genius from Apple. If you scroll all the way down on the App Store listing, whether you're on the computer or on the phone, it's got this little information area and it says that who sells the app, where it's compatible, the size of the app. But there's something that's listed. It says in app purchases. And so let me just go to like three other cleaner apps. Let me just look up this random cleaner app, and sure enough, in app purchases, yes, ten dollars, twelve dollars, forty dollars, forty dollars. So that tells me that that app is going to immediately try to charge me this one AI cleanup kick Pro sure enough in app purchases one week, thirteen dollars, one year, fifty dollars. So I always check to see if there's an in app purchase before I download an app, because that way I know what I'm getting into. Are they just gonna give me a hard sell or they actually giving me something useful and sometimes it's it's you know a bit of both. So just that's just one way to check out the app. Google does not do that for some reason. I don't know why. Android and help you find lost luggage. Google's rolling out a new feature on Android called find Hub. If you put a Bluetooth tracker tag in your suitcase, your phone can show you where it is on a map using nearby Android devices. Yes, very similar to the way air tags work. That part's not new. The new part is that you can create a secure location link and send it directly to the airline, so that way baggage staff can see the live location of your suitcase instead of just you know, searching through their systems. The location link is encrypted, it's temporary, it expires after a week. You can stop sharing it at any time. If they don't find your luggage after a week, it's probably gone. Anyway. Google worked with a lot of the airline baggage systems to kind of integrate this. They can put this right into the system. Ten airlines are supporting the future more than ten. But I don't see any US names on this list just yet. Air India, China Airlines, Scandinavian Airlines, Turkish Airlines, Luftanza Quantis. So hopefully we'll see some American airlines in there as well, or I should say US based airlines. American Airlines is an airline so you know what I meant. And this comes after Apple did something very similar with the air tag, so you should know this if you use air tags and you put them in your luggage, which you, by the way, should be doing. If you go into the find my app and you look at one of your air tags, let's just do this one my key. You can see there's a let's see scroll down whereas it share air tag. No, that's not it. Hold on, Why am I not finding this? Uh oh oh, you know what? Maybe it has to get a lock on it first. Okay, here we go. Yep, so you get that. Once you get the lock on, it says share item location, allow others to locate this item, and you press continue, says this person who opens the link will be able to see the location of your air tag for a limited time. And I can't share it right now because it is with me. And Apple is smart like that. So if you ever have an air tag in your luggage, you can share that location of that air tag in live time with the airline. You can send them that link and a lot of these systems have that integrated. So if you go online and you say, hey, my luggage is lost, we'll say, oh, do you have a link to your air tag, and now you'll be able to do the same thing with Android. Let's go to Randy in a Granada Hill. Randy, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Say Rich, nice to take my call. Long time, first time. I have two questions that time allows, but quickly on my news Z fold seven. When I go to a site and I want to go back to the previous site, I have to literally literally the only way I know how to do it so far, and this is when the phone is closed. By the way. I don't know if that matters, but I have to close the app and then go back to you know, I can't navigate between apps. Oh does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I are you using? Which are you using the swipe gestures? Are you using the buttons at the bottom swipe?
Speaker 9: So if you don't, yeah, the body know you can on the bottom even the right hand buttons like on.
Speaker 1: The bottom of your phone screen? Are there are there buttons like like digital buttons?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh you're using those?
Speaker 9: Okay, so just tap now I'm using I'm using the swipe.
Speaker 1: Oh you are, okay, so then just just swipe, just swipe right left to right, and that'll swipe between your apps. Do you see that?
Speaker 9: Well, for example, I bring up my tile app right, and I want to go back to whatever else happened. I'm swiping and it just takes it away, puts it back onto the whatever the desktop of the phone.
Speaker 1: Speaker swiping up or you swiping to the side.
Speaker 9: Well, when I swipe up, it brings up all the all the.
Speaker 1: App okay, so that so that's one way you can switch between them. So you can swipe up a little bit and pause. But the way to switch between the two apps on the on the Samsung, I'm doing it right now. You just swipe at the bottom. Now you may have that turned off by mistake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's probably due.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's I think that's part of gestures. I don't think you can turn that off.
Speaker 9: What do you mean, swipe to the right and left on the bottom right, swipe right or left?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you just swipe, yeah, it'll it'll swipe between the recent apps that you get.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's not bringing up my previous at all. So I must have a setting.
Speaker 1: Do you have a big case on this phone?
Speaker 9: I have a standard case.
Speaker 1: Okay, that could also be doing it too. So yeah, sometimes the case will make it so that it doesn't. So there's actually a sensitivity you can adjust inside the gestures as well. So I would look inside the uh, the navigation bar. Let's see, so I mind I have mindset to high because it's you know, yeah, so if you go to navigation bar, it's the swipe gesture. There's not really anything you can do to change it. It's it's just built in where you can swipe from the sides and also to the uh, you know, at the bottom. But if you also pull in from the left, that'll bring you I mean, it's just yeah, you gotta just we're gonna tie. You gotta just swipe in. Just swipe at the bottom. There should be a bar there. You swipe, it'll swipe between all your apps. I'm doing it right now. Restart your phone if that feature is not working. All right. Coming up, we are going to talk to Andrew O'Hara from Apple Insider about all of Apple's big announcements this week. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one joining me now, Kim said, we just rickrolled everyone, Yes, we did. I love that song. I don't care if it's a rickroll. Andrew O'Hara joining me from Apple Insider. He was in New York City at the event I was at with Apple. Andrew, thanks for joining me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, of course, anytime.
Speaker 1: So, first off, what was your impression of the event? This was a little different because it was not an Apple event, it was an Apple experience, and they pulled it off in three different cities simultaneously, in three different secret locations, as only Apple could do.
Speaker 8: It was definitely something different, and it was interesting to see Apple kind of slow roll all the product announcements from Monday Tuesday and then dropping the MacBook Neo on us on Wednesday right at the event. So it was a massive number of new devices that were you know, updated across all different product product categories, Mac, iPad and iPhone all getting refreshes. So it was it was kind of cool to see.
Speaker 1: Now, I think I know your answer, but what do you think was the biggest thing that stood out to you this week?
Speaker 8: I mean, it's got to be the MacBook Neo. I mean, that's that's that's what everybody is most interested in and how this is gonna work. First a series chip that Apple's done in a mac fun new colors, like this thing is going to be crazy popular.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, so Apple insider, I would think that that's more like inside like people like that go to that website probably are a little more techy. So what are they saying about this, Like are they saying this a great thing? Or are they saying, Oh, it's underpowered, it's not good for the average person. What do they what do they think?
Speaker 8: You know, it runs the gamut for sure. There's a lot of people who they feel very siloed in like their workflow and the thing about the MacBook Neo, it's not for everyone, but it's meeting a new price point that Apple really has not like fully done.
Speaker 4: We've had a five.
Speaker 8: Ninety nine MacBook before, but it was the twenty twenty m one MacBook Air that has been still selling at Walmart. This thing is brand new, fun colors, even better performance for at least on the you know.
Speaker 4: The CPU side.
Speaker 8: I think they did a great job here, even if it's not you know, the core Apple insider audience.
Speaker 1: What do you think is the biggest compromise.
Speaker 8: Is it the RAM that's probably going to be it just when you get into like a whole lot of multitasking. For for most people, it is still gonna be fine. You're gonna have slight compromises on the graphics, maybe in comparison to even the M one, but I think the memory that RAM is probably gonna be the biggest bottleneck of all.
Speaker 1: And I was talking earlier about this computer and I wondered if it could run like Final Cut Pro. Do you think would you be daring enough to run Final Cut Pro on this thing? I mean, because it can run full apps? Is there any do you have you heard of any limitations on the apps that it can't run?
Speaker 8: No, not really, it's it should run basically any I mean you're gonna run into issues with games if you're gonna try to run any super powerful games, of course, but for regular, regular apps, there's gonna be no issues in your day to day you know usage.
Speaker 1: So I don't really understand because you know, the iPhone chip has never run like mac os So how did Apple do they have to do anything like behind the scenes to get that to work.
Speaker 8: I mean, all Apple Silicon is kind of based on the same you know.
Speaker 4: Bit of structure.
Speaker 8: So it was definitely a little bit of work that I think. The biggest thing that I have heard that was a challenge for Apple to do was at the second usbcport. I mean that this is the first kind of a series chip that has had multiple ports on there. There's no max say for anything, and it was a huge amount of engineering work to be able to add two of them on there.
Speaker 4: You mean, you have different speeds.
Speaker 8: One's USB three, the other's USB two speeds for most people, again not gonna matter, but little small compromises like that, But it was still a big achievement just to get the second port on an a series chip.
Speaker 1: That's Wow's But bottom line, it sounds like to me from everything I've read and everything that I've experienced, this is going to be a game changer. People are going to buy this thing, and they're going to sell a lot of them.
Speaker 8: I think they're going to sell an incredible amount. I mean, the M one MacBook Air was until you know, last week or whatever, is still being sold at Walmart. That thing originally sold for one thousand dollars when it launched in twenty twenty, and now we have the MacBook Neo with better single and multi core CPU performance by a lot on your single core, which is launching apps and using your kind of computer. Slightly lower on the graphic side of things, but anything in like Apple Arcade, like all of those titles, the New Ocean Horn three, like all those are going to probably run very fine on here. They're running on phones. They're going to run on this thing without issue, right, So I think this is going to just sell super well.
Speaker 1: That is my thesis on this. It's like people like, oh, this is underpowered, it only has this like hold on, ninety nine percent of people are doing all this stuff on their phone. You're when I edit videos, I edit on cap cut on my phone, and it's like that works just fine. I'm Premiere on my phone.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: If I want to do something a little higher end, of course, I'll use final Cut. But the point is a lot of people are using their phone as their every device, and so this is just a larger kind of canvas to do that. The other thing is, by the way, my wife is still using the m one MacBook and you know, the MacBook Air, and it's fine. She's surfing the web, she's doing her emails, she's buying stuff on Amazon. It's not. It's a perfectly fine computer for that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, those things are still running. People are still using those without issue. And this one's even more powerful. But like you said, I run into so many creators that are doing so much video production like on iPhones, and now it's just in a laptop form factor. It shouldn't be scared because it's an iPhone chip. It's it's still just Apple Silicon and it's really powerful.
Speaker 1: So they also updated the MacBook Air. Anything new about that that we should know because I've got one in the shopping car. I've got an M three right now. This is an M five anything like That's a super new about this?
Speaker 8: Nothing crazy new. I love the MacBook Air. I like prefer to use it instead of my MacBook Pro because of how like light and thin it is.
Speaker 4: It's just gorgeous.
Speaker 8: It is, you know, thinner than the new MacBook Neo is. So like I've always loved the MacBook Air. The new one M five processor. I believe Apple finally updated it to Wi Fi seven, which with fast internet in this house, wi Fi seven speeds are very welcomed. And then they're doubling the base storage, which is probably the biggest messaging around this. You can be able to pick this up and have I think five twelve gigs now as you're starting SSD size. That's going to be really handy for people who are using this as like a great education or work computer. That is ample storage for most people.
Speaker 1: And then you've got the new iPad air anything huge there that they changed.
Speaker 8: No, so starting storage is going to remain the same. We're moving to the M four processor about twenty five percent increase and performance compared to the last generation. Apple's adding the N one ship that's their modem or their networking chip, so Wi Fi seven thread for smart home tech Blue two six. We're getting the C one X, which is Apple's modem for better battery performance and some privacy features on cellular, but really like those are the big things there. Apple also increased the memory from eight gigs to twelve gigs, so multitasking going to be better. iPads twenty six helps with that significantly, so for people who are using this as like that multitasking tablet, this is going to be a good choice.
Speaker 1: And the iPhone seventeen E this is kind of their entry level iPhone five hundred ninety nine dollars comes in pink. Now it also comes in black and also comes in white. The big things that I noticed at the event they were talking about is mag safe, which is a good addition to that, and then the portrait photography. So what's your I mean, if you had a sixteen E, you wouldn upgrade to this or would you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 8: I don't think anyone in the market, for you know, who has a sixteen E is going to be upgrading to this. But this is going to be ideal for switchers, similar to the MacBook Neo for a lot of people who are going from PC's chromebooks, tired of them not lasting long, or maybe they have an iPhone they want to get into the Mac space. This is a very similar vibe. They want a you know, they want the Apple experience, they want to get an iPhone and they want something new. But it's not going to be as expensive. I mean, this thing is priced like you said, five ninety nine, but I guarantee we're going to see tons of deals and carrier discounts on this thing. But again, performance wise, it has an eight nineteen ship so latest chip in there. Again, they doubled the storage, which is huge, and they added mag Safe. So for again most regular people out there, this is going to be plenty enough iPhone. You get lots of cool features with the other ones, like extra cameras and dynamic island and all sorts of things, but for just core iPhone experience, they really really did a good job on this. Compared to the sixteen E. In my opinion, the storage and mac Safe make this a much better deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny because it's like all these like entry level Apple products. You know, if you're a high end user, you might point out like, oh, well it doesn't have this, it doesn't have a wide angle camera lens, it doesn't have all these features. But for a person who says I just need a phone, right, like, if you're just saying that these things are actually really good for the value, like I would say. The only thing that they didn't upgrade, which I was a little disturbed, not disturbed, but kind of sad at was the and I know, again average person doesn't care, but like it's still I think runs on like sixty hrtz right refresh rate, which is you know, yeah, it's like every Android, even the cheap ones are one twenty at this point. But it's it's fine. I mean, that's like very nitpicky.
Speaker 8: I think the only time I hear someone complaining about the refresh rate is in the comments of articles or videos. When I'm talking to people in the real world, I have never had someone come up to me like, oh, but what's the refresh rate? Or this only has sixty herds like I've never heard anyone else complain about that. It's something you feel a little bit when you use them, and it's nicer, But I don't think people are clamoring for that, especially in these entry level devices.
Speaker 1: Anything we didn't mention before we go that you want to uh, you want to tell or say.
Speaker 8: I don't think so. My honestly, my biggest excitement was the studio displays. Apple upgraded all their displays and the fact that they have their new Studio Display XDR. That thing looks gorgeous, the million to one contrast ratio, thunderbowl five for Daisy chaining multiple these, and lower price point than the now discontinued Pro Display XDR, and it comes with a stand.
Speaker 4: I'm very excited for that one.
Speaker 8: That is like the one thing from this whole event or this experience that I'm probably going to use daily. So for me, that was the thing.
Speaker 4: I was most excited for.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing that's expensive. What's the price point on that? Are we talking like what I.
Speaker 8: Want to say, like thirty two thirty three for that one? I Hey, they have the affordable one. It's not micro it's not micro led, but they do have a more affordable one. Apple's monitors are always premium, but it's hard to arg you with the build quality and the design. Everything else just feels plastic y.
Speaker 1: And I saw three of them running off a MacBook Air, I believe, at the Apple event, and I was pretty impressed. I would love that setup. All right, Andrew O'Hara from Apple Insider, what's the best place for folks to find?
Speaker 8: You can find me anywhere. Just google it Apple insider dot com, find Apple Insider on YouTube, or my podcast Smart Home Insider.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks so much for joining me today, Andrew, appreciate it. Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one more after this, Welcome back to rich on Tech. Let's go to Let's go to line four. Doug is in Temecula California. Doug, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 10: Hello, Rich, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what can I help you with?
Speaker 10: Well, I have a Lenovo laptop. It's running in the current Windows operating system, but I want to clean it off. I want all my information off of it. I want to restart it now on my phone. They have a reset the factory specs, but I couldn't find anything on the on the computer. I wanted how to go about you know, a fresh input of the operating system and and you know, clearing my information.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So if it's running Windows, you can you can absolutely do this right from Windows. So if you if you type in the search menu right at the bottom a little search bar, just type in reset this PC and that will bring you right to it. And there's a yeah, and it'll bring you to your system recovery and there's a couple options. So you have you said you want to get everything off this computer and start fresh. Is there a reason? Why did you just? You got too much stuff on there? You want to start over?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 10: Yeah, And I may be letting it go.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, you may be letting go okay. So yeah, so if you do, there's there's a couple. There's a couple options. There is the option to reset and you can keep your files or you can remove your files. And this process takes it takes a little while, but you're gonna want to do the remove everything option. And so when when you do that, it's going to give you a fresh start on this computer. Now, the next question may be, oh, is my stuff still going to be on there? Can someone recover it, you know, potentially, So if you're worried about something that's very sensitive on this computer, you can do this option again once you set it up, and you can try it again. Or there may be some apps out there that you can use to completely restore, you know, right over the hard drive. But I think that's a little advanced. I don't think you're gonna need to do that. So I would just recommend going into the computer, you know, like I said, system, and you can you can also just go into your setting system and then you'll see it says recovery. Let's see if I can find it manually. Here where is it? Yeah, it's like all the other it is system recovery. And then reset this PC. You tap reset PC and it'll say keep my files or remove everything, and those are your two options. And I would do the remove everything. It's going to take a while. Make sure your babysit it, because it does take a long time to do this. It's not something that's really fast. So you know, give yourself half an hour for this process because it sits there and it removes everything, and then it reinstalls Windows and then it's basically a fresh computer from the factory. Now, I only recommend doing that if you're you know, a little more advanced, and also if you just want to start fresh. Like for me, I used to do this once a year when I would get an upgrade to my operating system on Mac. Would always start fresh, and then I just got kind of lazy because it takes so much time to like restart and kind of like reset up all my things, and so I would Now I've kind of got a little bit lazier. Now I only do this when I get a new computer. But you know, I like the idea of starting fresh. It's nice because I don't know about you, but I download so many things. I'm always testing some software, I'm always changing some settings, and invariably, even if you uninstall that software, A lot of these little things linger on your computer, and so it's kind of annoying when you have you know, you start up your computer and a program starts up or there's some kind of sort of fragment left behind. But that's the way to do it again. If you're listening one more time and you want to do this to your computer, only delete everything if you are okay, you know, if you've got everything backed up or you don't need anything. Because it's going to delete everything off your computer. There is an option that will keep your files. This is also known as refresh, so that will reinstall Windows, but it'll keep your files. But keep in mind there's always something that could go wrong, so you know. Now, if you're really advanced, there's another way to do this with an app called Rufus. You can create a bootable USB. You can download the Windows media from Windows. This is called a clean installation, and you can download this and you can start up your computer from a flash drive and install it that way. That's for a little more advanced users. So if you know how to do that and you understand those terms, you can do that. But you already you don't need to hear that from me. That's the way. I had a job once where my whole job was to just clean install these old computers at this school. And I love doing that. Oh, just come in. I would just get my little coffee and I would just sit there. I'd go to a classroom, grab one of these computers, clean, install windows, and just like move on to the next one. That's what I did for like six months. I love that job. It was so fun just to wipe everything clean because invariably all these computers had, you know, all the students installed stuff on there. The teachers would install and I just love that first boot up where everything was just fresh. Ah, I love it. I still love that feeling. Eighty eight Rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two for one zero one. Christine writes in Hey, Rich, we watch you every day on TV. We love your segments. My question is about companies that offer a discount if you sign up for direct pay, where they automatically take the monthly payment from your checking account. I'm a little weary. Is it wary or weary? I never know because it sounds like I'm giving my banking information directly to a vendor like T Mobile, for example. Do you think it's safe or wise to sign up for direct pay or is my information protected in some way? Well, I mean, look, I personally hate direct pay. I hate to use that word because I think it's very strong and I just don't really like using it. But I don't like direct pay. Why because you're giving access to your checking account and they're taking the money out on their own accord, big companies taking money out of your account. What could possibly go wrong? Now here's what I don't like about this. It only benefits them. They get to pay less fees for your payment because it's cheaper to process a payment via a direct I guess you call it direct pay or direct withdrawal, whatever you want to call it, versus a credit card. And so these companies love it because also they have your account information. So when you get your phone bill and it's a little bit higher than it typically is, guess what, they don't care because they're just going to take it out of your banking account no matter what. And believe me, I've done this over the years, and I just I really try not to give it out unless you have to. Now, in the case of certain companies like your wireless provider, a lot of them have said, oh, you got to give us your bank account or we're going to charge you more every month. And so in that case, yes, you kind of have to do it unless you want to pay ten dollars extra. But do this very sparingly, very sparingly. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show is rich on Tech dot tv. Be sure to sign up for my newsletter. Once you are there, you can also see all the show notes. This is episode one sixty four. The phone line for the show is eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up this hour, we're gonna talk to I as actar Mobile analyst at PC mag. He's gonna talk about Mobile World Congress, which happened this week in Barcelona. Ayas and I actually used to work as scene at together, so we've got a little little thing in common there. But he has been to Mobile World Congress. I have not. I've never been to that show. It used to be much more consumer focused and much more US focused, but now it is much more you know, companies that are doing stuff in other countries. It's still interesting and it still goes to show the trends that are happening. But it's kind of worldwide. Like the Samsung's of the world and stuff, a lot of them aren't releasing there or unveiling their devices that they used to now. They're doing it all at their own events. Anyway, we'll hear from him and see what he thinks about that. Speaking of devices, reviews are in for the Pixel ten A from Google. This is their budget phone. It starts at four ninety nine. I've got one at home to test out. I have not tested it yet, I'll be honest because I kind of know what to expect. It's going to be a basic phone with a great camera, six point three inch display, forty eight megapixel main camera. Google's Tenser G four chips so last year's chip, I believe, with eight gigs a RAM. It's got a clean version of Android, sixteen seven years of software and security updates, which is among the longest for all smartphones. It's got Google's AI stuff built in. It's got great picture quality, I'm assuming because Pixels are known for that. Battery life reviewers say is solid up to two days of use, with lighter usage. The biggest criticism is that the hardware barely changed from last year's Pixel nine A same processor, same cameras, same ram, same battery. So a lot of people are saying it's just more of a refresh, but it's got a flat back this time. Let's see what else? Still the best value under five hundred dollars, and I would say that this is actually do not pay five hundred for this. Make sure you don't pay more than three ninety nine because this phone is always discounted. If it's not discounted today, it will be tomorrow. So three ninety nine is the price point I would say to aim for for the Pixel ten A. If you just want something super basic, super easy, you don't want anything Apple or iPhone because the seventeen E is really competing with this at five ninety nine. And by the way, don't pay that for that phone four ninety nine for the seventeen E, I would I would make my target price. Let's go to Bill in Burbank. Am I getting rickrolled here with Bill? That's uh, this isn't the bill? Is it is?
Speaker 2: This Bill? Here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, you don't you don't sound like the bill. I know, so it's a different bill. So I don't think I'm getting fooled here. Okay, what's up?
Speaker 3: Bill?
Speaker 9: A new bill?
Speaker 2: You got a new bill, but it's not in the mail.
Speaker 1: No, I barely get bills, you know. The only bills I get in the mail at this point are all the medical bills, and those, by the way, pro tip, don't ever pay the medical bill. Oh I'm gonna get all the emails from the doctor. People. Don't pay your medical bills the first time you get them, because invariably they send you a bill, Oh, it's eight hundred dollars, and all of a sudden you're like what And they send you a bill six weeks you're like, oh, it's twenty seven dollars. You're like, what what if I paid the eight hundred. My wife actually did that. She got a refund from all the money she paid, and they said, oh, your insurance actually paid and they gave her a refund. We couldn't believe it. Anyway, I digress, bill, what's up?
Speaker 2: That's great information, but you're one in a million. Yeah, every time you end up paying a bill, regardless of whether it's true or not. If it's not the correct bill. You're gonna have a hard time collecting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I couldn't believe it. They refunded her card. Like we got a text. She showed it to me. She's like, I can't believe this. I'm like, I've ever heard of that in my life and it was automatic, didn't even have to do anything. I was like, those are some Those are some honest doctors, Like that's those are that's a good doctor group.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you also have a lifestyle that doesn't allow you to get screwed too much. So I think that just being that kind of person opens a bigger door for us. That's me digressing, and I hardly ever even talk on the phone, So let's see what I am my discussion or questions are in regards to the first one. Last week, I remember you were talking to a guy who had had a choice or an option to get an iPhone eleven free from the Obama phone scenario. Yes, I well, I followed through with that entire process because I was waiting around for somebody to offer a Samsung phone instead of the garbage I was getting. So I was going on an immediate replacement by waiting for that opportunity to happen. And the company is air Talk, if you don't mind my saying, but they're the ones that give you the choice of that iPhone eleven and just about eight other phones.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I was looking for that Samsung option and I found and I got it. And here, speaking of getting something better than you're expected, they were giving, they were going to send me a Samsung, which is my target phone. I just seem to get along with the Samsung phone just fine and very little problems except for me getting mad at it. So they ended up sending a better phone than I expected, and I got an A forty two. And that one, which is what I'm talking on, is really really a good phone, and I'm going to try and protect it as best as possible. And that leads me into my second question. I purchased several different screen protectors. I already have the one on the back. You know, forget these things when you buy the phone. But if you get a cheap phone, they give you those things. I guess that's supposed to make you think you've got, you know, some high quality.
Speaker 1: Phone with it.
Speaker 2: No, they did not. And I found that the cheaper the phone, they do include these things, and the higher end phones they don't, so I was stuck with the option of trying to find just the right cover that was difficult in themselves, but best by Finally, I just was able to find a cover that's did on the back. For the front. I purchased a glass option and a plastic option the And my question would be, uh, first of all, as far as application is concerned, it's probably really important to cover the entire front surface. Would you agree?
Speaker 1: I would say, so, I mean these yeah, I mean that's that's typically how most of them work.
Speaker 2: Instead of yeah, sometimes they were they're just shy of cover bring that well from my experience anybody, that's probably where the phone would drop right on that edge and then cause a problem. So the glass didn't cover that. I bought it well, it was only a dollar was on the cheap rack, So I decided I didn't want to put that glass on because it's not really protecting the whole thing, and I know how they will want to break that edge first and ignore the rest of it.
Speaker 1: What can I help you with? What? What can I help with?
Speaker 7: One?
Speaker 2: Have you had experience with applying the hard plastic ones that you cut the fit?
Speaker 1: I I've okay, So here's the deal. This is the I have a lot of experience putting on screen protectors. I would say the cut to fit ones are going to be very tricky because if you don't have a proper applicator, you're going to get bubbles, and that's the main thing you do not want. Now, some of them you can push out. Some you're not gonna be able to. But if you're cutting it to the screen, it's your problem never gonna get a perfect fit. So you know that's that's number one. I would say if you can find a screen protector with an applicator, like it almost comes with a plastic tray to put it on, that would be your best bet. If you want something that's truly gonna protect this thing. I'm looking just a casual look on Amazon, and because this model is a little bit seems like it's a little bit more specialized. This a forty two, I'm not really seeing a screen protector with an applicator. So with that said, I would say, if you're paying a dollar for that, how much was the other the other one that you gotta cut?
Speaker 2: Oh, then there was just two three dollars for two of them.
Speaker 1: So I would say, try your best on the first one and if it, you know, doesn't work, then you may have to try, you know, peel it off and put the second one on there. But what about just getting a good case that covers this whole phone with with some raised edges and that will really help with the I mean I personally like a screen protector as well as a case, just to really you know, you can knock that thing around no problem, you.
Speaker 2: Know, total agreement. And that's what I want. That's what I want to do, because it doesn't make sense to allow yourself because you know you're going to drop it.
Speaker 1: Oh of course, Oh that's fine.
Speaker 2: I that's as far as I need to take it. But I'm very careful about doing those detail things. So I'll just put the trust on myself and go ahead and do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have a question about the lottery, and whether you're familiar with this or not, everybody has like a an account that you log into the lottery and regardless of what you're trying to go after or do. Mine, in particularly would be Scratchers and the second Chances, which is the poor Man's Lottery. But it's still there and it's something worth going for it because you never know. For over a month I have been able to into that to the lottery account.
Speaker 1: Not once you have not been able to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I would venture to say that if you give it a try, you will learn exactly what I'm talking about. And I smell a really big rat.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is very very It's just it's right in front of your face. Is just like Kim Trail, and it's just very peculiar. And of course I don't trust anything about the lottery. There's too much money that's readily available to steal.
Speaker 1: Well, it's all going to the schools bill, it's all going to the education. So I mean, look, we got to run. But I've actually downloaded that the California Lottery app, and I've used it to scan. The little trick is you only have to scratch the scratcher. You get to scan a little barcode on the corner and it tells you if it's a win or a loser. I have not tried to sign into an account, but we'll look into that. Thanks for the call, Bill, appreciate it. Enjoy the new phone eighty eight rich one oh one more rich on tech right after this Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Well, if you like the movie F One, you might be watching Formula One starting this weekend. But guess what, if you want to watch in the US, you'll need Apple TV. The twenty twenty six Formula One season kicks off with the Australian Grand Prix, and this is a big change for people here in the US. Every race weekend will be streaming exclusively on Apple TV in the US. That's for the first time. That includes practices, qualifying sprint races and the Grand Prix itself. That means no more F one races on ESPN, which has had the US rights since twenty eighteen. Apple reportedly spend around seven hundred million dollars on a five year deal to lock in the rights, showing just how valuable live sports are, especially because that movie did so well. I think it really got a lot of people to come out of the woodwork with this stuff. People that maybe didn't think they were fans are like, okay, I might watch that, and Apple said, okay, hold on, let's buy that. So you can watch the Apple TV app on phones, on TV streaming devices, or a web browser. Now here's the thing. You may think, Oh, it's Apple TV. I've got Android doesn't work for me. I've got Roku, I've got you know, Google TV. No, no, no, there's an Apple TV app for all of those devices. Ever since Apple TV started streaming, they created an Apple TV app that lets you watch all of their Apple TV content no matter what platform you're on. Pretty much, I'm pretty sure it's available for all of them. The service about twelve ninety nine a month. There's a seven day free trial. And you know that Apple also has MLS. They've got a deal with Major League Soccer, so this is their second big sports deal. And let me check. My friend does Jared Newman, friend of the show, does this Cord Cutter Weekly the big list of streaming deals. So let's see if there's anything for Apple TV. Oh, thirty days. See I just said seven day free trial. That's the one they advertise. So the one you can get if you use his link is thirty days. Yeh, see seven day free trial. And let's click his link and see what happens. Click his link. Thirty days. Look at that, where's my bell? Thirty days of free trial? So if you want that I will put that link on the website rich on tech dot TV, so you can check it out if you like formula one. So do they call formula one F one? Just in general? Okay, it's the same. It's like interchangeable. Let's go. Speaking of TVs, Charlie's got a question in Huntington Beach, looks like about his TV. What's up, Charlie.
Speaker 6: Okay, I have two TVs. I have a one down stairs, one upstairs. But the one upstairs I have extenders. It constantly is not recognizing the router. It's an LGTV that's upstairs.
Speaker 1: Okay, the LGTV is upstairs. The router the the where's the signal coming in from? Like, where's the router? The router's downstairs?
Speaker 6: No, the router is upstairs as well.
Speaker 1: Oh near the same TV.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well not far from it, maybe thirty feet away.
Speaker 1: Oh thirty feet And you're having problems.
Speaker 2: With this.
Speaker 6: Constantly. And if you go into the setting and you look for you know, are you connected or you're not connected? And you pull it up and it'll indicate nope, and it wants you to go back in put the password. You can put the password in. It will work for a while, and then I say, if you turn the TV off, you come back later and.
Speaker 1: It's just connect again.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, the.
Speaker 6: One downstairs never has a problem.
Speaker 1: What brand is that that one?
Speaker 6: I switched that one out to a Sony Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well okay, So I mean you got to figure out. Have you tried a like a full reset of this TV, like a factory reset.
Speaker 6: Unplugging it and plugging it in?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, what about a factory reset like setting it to its initial settings? How old is this TV?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 6: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 6: Maybe this one is eight years old?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think you're working with a couple of things here, so you've got it. Could be that you've had this thing going for a long time. It just could be confused about your WiFi. Maybe you've changed your settings over the years. Who knows the other thing? Okay, So here's here's what I would do if I were you. Okay, Charlie, Here's what I would do. Number one, I would ditch the extender. I don't think you need that extender. I think that might be confusing things because if your router is thirty feet awa from this TV, it should see that router no problem without an extender. So that's number one, so unplug that. Number two. I would do a full factory reset of this TV, so that means you go into your settings general reset to initial settings, and that will delete everything it's gonna re I mean, yeah, you're gonna have to reinstall your apps, log in, all that nonsense, but that will clear everything off of this TV as if you just got it from the factory and that and then reconnect it to your Ethernet or it's your Internet that way and see if that fixes it. The other thing I would do is see if you have any software updates before you, you know, do the whole network or the the the reset of the whole device. I would check for software updates, make sure you don't have any software updates there and do that. If your connection is a five gigahertz connection, you might try to connect to the two point four gigahertz band. I'm not sure if that's an issue with your home or with your router and maybe sending out those dual signals. Try connecting to the two point four. It's an older TV, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't connect to the internet. I mean it doesn't. It's it's still Wi Fi it still should be fine, but I think a couple of those things just to see if you can figure it out and make it work again, that would be your best bet. If it doesn't work after that, the best thing I would say is just to get an Ethernet cable. I know it's annoying, I know it's ugly, but it's probably gonna be your best bet is because the router's only thirty feet away. Just run an Ethernet cable to the back of your TV. If none of those other things work, hopefully those things make this work. But again in this order, I would say you tried restarting to TV, I would get rid of the extender. I would check for software updates if you can, if you have a connection for that, and then I would do a factory reset see if that helps connect it back up. Thanks for the call, Charlie. Coming up, we're going to talk Mobile World Congress. Welcome back to rich on Tech rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show richon tech dot TV. Anything I mentioned is on there, episode one sixty four, and you can get all the links to everything I mentioned earlier, the whole Apple TV. I mentioned my pala Jared Newman. He writes a website called cord Cutter Weekly, and he's got this thing called the Big List of Streaming Deals. And so if you're ever looking for like you know, you're signing up for Peacock or Paramount Plus or whatever, and you want to get like the best possible deal on the sign up, you go to his website. He's got this big list of streaming it's called the Big List of Streaming Deals, and he updates it all the time. Updated on March, yeah, updated yesterday, and so yeah, always go there. That's my first stop. It's a great, great resource. It's linked up on the website. Rich on tech dot tv. All right, joining me now, I as actar Mobile Analyst at PC mag Ayas. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me Rich.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot of shared history. You used to work at cnet as well as me, and used to work with Leo as well.
Speaker 11: That's great that I zor up with him and this week in tech and Cataluma, California.
Speaker 4: It's a really small world that is wild.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show for the first time, and for the first new time, I guess I should say and you were at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. First off, explain what that show is all about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, sure.
Speaker 11: So Mobile World Congress is the largest mobile trade show in the world, and you have companies from everywhere around the globe come to this event to show off new phones, networking technology, and components. There's a lot of industry insiders there because it is a trade show. What's happening is a lot of deals are being made, like finding technologies to license or to even acquire. So the stuff that happens here will be resonating for several years after the fact.
Speaker 1: Was this your first time there or have you been before?
Speaker 11: This was my second one on the floor, and it was just as exciting as last year. And there's just so many different things that people are trying and companies trying just fan out because there's major companies out there that take a lot of the spotlight Apple, I'm looking at you, since you realised to all these devices during Mobile World Congress, so there was a lot of competition in the new circles.
Speaker 1: They always seem to do that Apple looking at you because they're also launching all these devices on the same day that the Samsung Galaxy S twenty six Ultra launches March eleventh, So I don't know if they do that stuff on purpose, but it certainly seems like the timing always lines up where Apple steals the spotlight. Whether it's CS or whether it's like a show like this, it's just just always seems to happen. But that's neither here nor there. The two things that I saw the big news was number one, six G. Qualcomm made a big deal about you know, they're going to launch six G in a couple of years, like by twenty thirty. And then the other thing I saw was that little phone with like the gimbal thing coming out of the top. Can you explain either of those?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, so six G.
Speaker 11: I'm going to try to make this as simple as humanly possible, because I had to read about it a lot to figure this out. The main thing that people are going to like about twenty about six G that will be out by twenty twenty nine or twenty thirty, depending on how it actually susses out, is that it will have increased capacity. So let's say you're a trade show or a stadium at airport, You're going to be able to have faster connections to the same networks, and it's going to be consistent because sometimes you'll have a dead zone. Let's say you go to the subway and it's a dead zone. Six gens Reaped is going to get into places that are well kind of dead right now. And the second to answer your second question, the phone with the gimbal camera that came out of it. It's the Honor robot camera, and it is a really interesting idea in the fact that the camera, none of the lives in the body of the phone. A little door open. If the camera itself comes out on a little arm and it's with the gimbal, you can point, tilt and zoom with your phone, so that way you can hold your phone steady, but the camera moves. I don't think we'll be seeing this in the US because Honor they're usually in China, so we don't see their products. But this is the kind of thing that could influence other companies to go, hey, we should do something like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's funny, it looks like dances and does all like I saw so many videos about it on the social media. It reminds me of one plus one time made a phone I don't know if you remember this, but the selfie cam popped out of the top of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's been stuff that they're motorized.
Speaker 11: I was thinking about, I don't know how long before we'll get back to like having a little tiny mirror on the back of phones for selfies to use that monstrous camera that's on the back of all of these plays. Now, it's you gotta just you gotta do something different to stand out, and that definitely stood out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a lot of publicity, but it's like the reality of you know, how many people actually need that. I'm not sure, but I do see a lot of creators using that little dgi osmo, that little tiny camera that they like, they seem to like, So maybe that's kind of like what it was. What else did you see that was interesting?
Speaker 11: Okay, So, like my favorite thing I saw there is well, there's two they're both modular. So there was a concept phone called the Techno Adam. It was super thin, it's kind of like an iPhone Air in size, and it uses magnets, which magnets are really the hottest technology in the world right now because yeh, of all the things, it just snaps together so this one had several magnetic areas and you could snap multiple power banks to the back of it, so you could add battery life. If you wanted a telephoto camera, you could just snap another module on and it would be passive on the cameras, so you don't need to necessarily have a phone with all of these cameras on it. It also had a giant long range camera twenty three millimeter lens could attach to this, and you you could turn your phone into multiple things at once, or you only bring.
Speaker 4: With you what you need on the on the day.
Speaker 11: It's kind of like the old days where you would really old days, you'd take your sin card out of a phone and then put it in the little phone so you can go out at night with it.
Speaker 1: So it's this Ideally you did that more nerds only we did that. No normal person ever did that.
Speaker 11: Yes, I guess it'll make it easier for the normal people to do stuff like this, but that concept device may never come to market.
Speaker 4: A techno was very clear about that.
Speaker 11: I was asking them over and over again, like are you showing this so other OEMs will you work with you? And and these manufacturers will license that technology and Techno claims that if this product comes out, they will be the ones to introduce it.
Speaker 1: Okay, it reminds me. Okay, now, I'm just I'm just remembering all these old things I used to cover. That reminds you of the Moto mods. I don't know if you remember, they had like this super slim Moto like Motorola phone that was like really thin and you would snap on like a little projector or like an extra battery pack or like I don't know if they had an extra camera thing or whatever, but or speaker maybe they had for it. But that kind of reminds me of that. Do you remember that.
Speaker 11: I totally remember that I did a video about the Techno and people were writing in the comments you forgot about Moto mods LGG five that had components of what about project? Are all these components devices? And every one of those I root for them. I want this to happen. It's not that I've forgotten. I love the idea of a device that can do multiple things and it's not compromised. Because it's really hard to have all of these great pieces of technology on a super thin device that people want these days, So why not break it up? And I and again it's I'm gonna say this. Apple does play a part in this because with mag safe people are they're more accepting of this idea. And I have a Apple's history as it is, it definitely sets the trend. So while this magnetic thing happened before, now that it's accepted with Apple, I'm expecting more companies to continue doing this. Like the new Pixel ten series has pixel snap, which is basically mag safe, so I think it's got a better chance of success now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is wild because Samsung still has not jumped on that the max safe. They have it in their cases now this year, which is fine, but it's like, what is keeping you from building a magnet into this phone? I think it's laziness, I really do, because if you look at the S twenty six culture, as much as I love that device, it's basically the same as last year's device. You know, it's just a little bit you know, I don't even know it's different. I mean the screen obviously, but it's like they they didn't want to like the amount of come, the amount of tie price and costs that it would take to redo the screen the back of the phone for the magnets probably just would cost too much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you're right about I think you're right about the price.
Speaker 11: By the way, it takes a lot of time to change all the processes of building these devices, so it's probably years away from now.
Speaker 4: They probably didn't expect it to hit so big.
Speaker 1: We got one time for one more, give me one more thing that you really liked from Mobile World to Congress.
Speaker 11: Okay, I gotta find it. Lenovo think book modular AIPC concept. Let me quickly try to explain with this is just imagine a regular thin, super thin laptop, but the keyboard is magnetically. You can pop that off and attach a second fourteen inch o LED screen, so you can use it as a double touchscreen device. If you want, you can pop that second screen off, attach it with a magnetic cable of course is magnetic, have it as your second displays, and if you wanted to, you can attack that display to the back of the of the regular display so you can give a presentation to other people. Now, the reason why I enjoy this one the most. Lenovo has a tendency to use prods up devices and turn them into real products within several years, so I'm the most excited about this because again, people are using their technologies in ways they weren't really designed for. And now these modular concepts allow you to change out the way you use the device. Oh right, I forgot to mention that the ports are modular. So if you need a USBA, pop out the C and put it in the A. You need an HDMI, pop that in so you have and if technology changes over time, you can get a new port.
Speaker 4: I just I like this idea.
Speaker 1: Everything is reminding me of something else. This reminds me of framework that's like the podular anyway, exactly, everything old is new again. I asz Actar Mobile analyst at pc MAGA. Thanks so much for joining me today. Really appreciate it. And do you have a good time over there? Was it fun?
Speaker 11: It was a blast, so many things and we have so many videos, pictures, articles at PCMag dot com. Seen that dot com. We've got tons of stuff, so check that out. Because there's no way we covered everything in this interview.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, there's no and there's no way even when you go to c Yes, there's no way to cover everything that's there either, but you guys certainly try. Thanks so much for joining me today. Appreciate it. I'll put a link on my website rich on tech dot TV. Coming up, it is time to open up the feedback. That's right. These are the emails, the comments, the questions you sent me all week long. We'll open up and get through as many as we can. Coming up right here, I'm rich On tech jamiro here, welcome back. All right, it is time for the feedbag. This is where I read your emails, your comments, your questions. You send me a lot of them, and I love getting them. Don't get me wrong, but this is the stuff that you know you had to say to me this week, because I say a lot of stuff to you every week. So this is what you had to say to me. So here we go. RJ writes in Hey, rich, I was listening to the recent segment on a show and heard you mention the challenge of having identification while out for a run. I wanted to suggest a couple of simple analog options I've used for years. Road Id and breck Id both use a velco velcro wristband with a small engraved metal plate that can hold several lines of information. Mine includes my name and country blood type, and you're a birth passport number two emergency contacts analergies. The nice thing about the metal plate is that it's and it would survive something like a fire. Well, oh gosh, that's really dark. Your show is always enjoyable and informative. Keep up the good work, RJ. Yes, I've actually heard of road id. I had him for my kids when they were little, and I liked that. I never thought about having one for myself while running, but maybe I'll look into that. Thanks for the recommendation there, RJ. And Irma writes in I want to tell you how much I appreciate listening to you. I'm eighty eight years old and a little techie for a lady my age, and I really enjoy the things I learned from your show. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate what you do. I also tell all my friends about you.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Irma. Appreciate that. Rick and Crabtree Oregon rights. Yes, I used to say Oregon before I before I was enlightened. I was thinking about the caller whose dad is having problems with the free phone program. Since that's a federal program, maybe he should contact his congress person. Sometimes those offices can help sort things out with federal agencies, and since it's an election year, candidates often like helping someone in their district with an issue like that. Good call Rick, That's always an option. Steve and san Diego says, Hey, Rich, regarding your discussion about the possibility of passing away with no one knowing, I wanted to share we had a dark show last week. I wanted to share a few services that can help with daily proof of life check ins. One is called snug Safe, I Am Fine, Daily call Calling Care, I'm okay, and town Care. There are others as well, but these are a few examples that check in on you regularly and alert someone if you don't respond. This reminds me of the app that went viral, the am I Dead. I think it was called like basically in It was big in China where the people that live by themselves would check in every day on the app. They would just press a big button to prove to their loved ones that they're still alive. And the young people were using it, which is wild. Let's see here, Dale in Mansfield, Ohio listening on My name is Dale. I listened to your program on Wman and Mansfield, Ohio ninety eight point three FM. I really enjoy your show and appreciate the insight and advice you share each week. Thanks for what you do well. Thank you Dale. Let's see here. Mo writes in Hey Rich, I listened to your show every Sunday. I find it really useful. On today's show, you had a caller asking if there's a device that could alert someone if a person wasn't moving around. I use a setup called Nomo Smartcare. You place censors around the house. There are no cameras. You set parameters like when you're expected to be home, connect it to the app, and pay a subscription of about twenty dollars a month. If there's no motion detected during those expected hours, it sends a text to a contact. It works because I tested it. I also had the real situation where it texted my friend when it didn't detect motion during the time it expected me to be active. I used to be a programmer. I did a lot of research before choosing this. I liked that it did not require checking in every day, and there's no call center involved. It's so funny. It's like the opposite of the other email I'm not affiliated with the company, but I thought you might be impressed with it. Regards Moe, top salesperson at Nomo's Smartcare. No, he's kidding, He's just recommending this. I've actually seen that system. I go to the assist of Tech conference every year, and I saw a system like that that they had, and I think we're going to see more of those as well. Bob listening in Australia, says, Hey, Rich, I just wanted to say, deliver another golden nugget on a hidden golden nugget on the show. Over the years, I've learned. I've added several things you've mentioned to my toolkit Ara Low about five years ago, type list which ended up working better than whisper flow for me, and now Number Barn. I looked into Number Barn after your show because I need a replacement for Mint Mobile. I live in Australia but keep a US phone number. Mint kept losing Wi Fi calling, so I was paying for something I couldn't really use. Now I have a US number that instantly forwards to my use Ustrellian mobile for about seven dollars a month instead of one eighty a year. It also sends an email in SMS after every message with it, which they don't really advertise. Next, I'm going to look into Google Voice, since you need a US number to sign up. Love the show. My only complaint one podcast a week isn't enough. Oh well, thank you, Bob uh Tony in Arizona. Hey, Rich, I was listening to your podcast and I fell asleep. Oh well, that's a glaring review. A glowing review. I had a nightmare that my phone got hacked while I was on a road trip. The screen filled up with video ads and I couldn't turn the volume down. I'm guessing your ads were playing at the time. I don't have my computer with me. I didn't have my computer, so I couldn't boot into recovery mode, and there was nothing I could do. I woke up totally frustrated and had to calm myself down and ask AI, what should I do if that ever happened. I'm fine now, Just a warning, what could happen if you fall asleep listening to Rich on tech? That is hilarious. That's a nerdy you're boring, That's that's a nerdy nightmare. That is really nerdy, Tony, Uh, We're I read I read your newsletter every Saturday morning. Oh no, this this changed it. Hold on, Oh well, maybe it's not. I read your newsletter every Saturday morning with my coffee, and I really enjoy it. Okay, that was I thought that was something else. Okay, I think that's it. That's going to do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I'm mentioned on the website. Go to rich on tech dot tv. You can find me on social media at rich on Tech. Next week, David Pogue, author of Apple the First fifty Years. We'll share stories about Apple's biggest products, Steve Jobs, and much more. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I really do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Bobo on the board, Kim on the phones. My name is rich Dmiro. I'll talk to you real soon.