Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio podcast. Good morning everyone, It's Tuesday, April first to welcome to Morning Run.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robox and I'm TJ Holt. It is April fools Day. Don't know what you got up your sleeve today, but we want to let you know off the bat. We have not inserted some prank story into this podcast. A lot of people do that, and even though we expect it on April Fool's Day, some people are still fooled by it. Are you usually a fan of pranks?
Speaker 1: No, so I don't. Ever. I'm not a prankster because I don't know. There's something about me that feels bad about making somebody feel worried, scared, sad, or happy when it wasn't warranted. So I'm not a But I have been pranked plenty. My mom is a prankster, and finally, several years ago, I told her that I severely do not enjoy being pranked, and so she finally stopped. So let's hope, mom, there are no pranks up your sleep today. But if you've ever wondered why we actually do play pranks on this day, well, would you believe it all has to do with the French fish a pope and Julius Caesar will explain.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But first on this morning's run, they are literally digging through rubble by hand to try to find survivors from that massive earthquake. The death toll now in the thousands, will have the latest.
Speaker 1: Plus those extended stay astronauts speak publicly for the first time. Was not expecting to hear this. They want to go back.
Speaker 2: Also in this morning's run, Senator Corey Booker just won't shut up. Hooters won't shut down despite its bankruptcy filing, So don't worry. You'll still be able to get in and marvel at all those amazing wings.
Speaker 1: Even you got tongue tied with that one, all right. Also on today's run, Tiger Woods called President Trump months ago to tell him something we only found out about last week. And taking this sour out of sour patch kids, surely this is an April fool's joke.
Speaker 2: And congratulations to the Yukon women who have now made it to sixteen of the past seventeen final fours. But what's really impressive is what they did not do after winning last night.
Speaker 1: You had to explain that one to me but we will share that with all of you in just a bit. But we begin our run overseas on this Tuesday morning. The death toll from me and Mar's massive earthquake has passed a very sad milestone, and after passing the two thousand mark late yesterday, the latest numbers now show it nearing three thousand.
Speaker 2: As of this recording, the death toll has officially reached twenty seven hundred and nineteen and Yanmar twenty more dead. In Thailand, Nearly four hundred and fifty people remain missing. Search and rescue efforts still underway today, but researchers, or rather the searchers, have acknowledged that this time is running out for anyone still trapped beneath.
Speaker 1: The rubble, and we are starting to hear the stories of those who have died, like two hundred Buddhist monks crushed by their own monastery, seven hundred Muslims killed while praying at mosques for Ramadan. The list goes on and on, all of them heartbreaking. One of them was just frankly too sad to write here, involving fifty preschoolers and their two teachers, But you just saw the people were exactly where they were supposed to be midday when the earthquake struck, and unfortunately some of them were in buildings that could not withstand the shaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Growing concern now that this earthquake will only make hunger and disease outbreaks in the country even worse than they already were. There's been a four year civil war going on in the area. Relief efforts have been challenging. There are power out of just fuel shortages, and there has been extreme hot weather. They're doing all this work now up to one hundred and four degree heat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The seven point seven magnitude earthquake hit that region on Friday, followed by several large aftershocks and a second earthquake that registered at five point one. There are reports of people hungry without shelter, sleeping in the streets because they were afraid to go back in their homes. It's unbelievably unfolding tragedy that's going on there in that area.
Speaker 2: Well, the next leg of our run now takes us to Washington, where Senator Corey Booker could use a brick. He's been talking all night, literally. The Democratic senator from New Jersey took to the Senate floor last night around seven pm Eastern time, and he has been talking ever since.
Speaker 1: Yes, as of this recording right here on Tuesday morning, Senator Corey Booker is still talking, and he's been talking nearly twelve straight hours. And this isn't to filibuster legislation. It is not to prevent one of President's nominees from being confirmed. We've seen those before. Rather, he's just trying to make his point, which is what TJ Well.
Speaker 2: He's been doing us in protest. Senators. Democratic senators especially have been trying to find a way to push back against President Trump, and this is how Senator Booker has chosen to do so. This is in protest of Trump's priorities and policies. Booker and God on the Senate floor last night and started by saying this, I rise for the intention of disrupting the normal business of the United States Senate for as long as I am physically able.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've been watching him on the live c Span feed this morning. Just checked in on him a short while ago, and even after ten hours, he was looking pretty good, still has some energy. We've seen him lean on the podium a couple of times, and just a short while ago. He said, we've been going about ten hours now, but we're going to start the next section, so he does not appear to be wrapping up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've seen this from time to time. Actually over the years in the Senate, we had Ran Paul he did ten hours in twenty seventeen over NSA surveillance, take Cruise did twenty one hours in twenty thirteen in opposition of the Affordable Care Act. But the record for the longest speech in Senate history twenty four hours and eighteen minutes.
Speaker 1: What could a senator be so passionately opposed to that he was willing to speak that long to stop the Civil Rights Act? It was Senator strom Thurmon of South Carolina. He spoke that long back in nineteen fifty seven. It was all in an attempt to stop the landmark Civil Rights Act. So well, that is simply what that was. But we're continuing to keep our eye on Booker. He is taking how is he taking? Can he take breaks?
Speaker 2: What if he has to p Yeah, they have to have constant debates, so somebody has to constantly be talking. Senators are allowed to ask him a question. So what they do is have some of their buddies, and he's had Senator Murphy come up and ask him a question. But the question can be a fifteen minute speech as long as you ask a question at the end. So he's been getting little breaks like that. But eyes are on him now on a live feed. He's leaning on the podium, glasses on, wearing a black suit, black tie, and he seems to be going strong. So good for him. He's found this way to protest push back because Democrats have been getting yelled at all over the country about fight fight, fight, fight, fight, And at least this is a very public display of him doing something. We can tell you our run here on this was this now Wednesday is Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's Tuesday, Tuesday morning.
Speaker 2: Next up on the run here. President Trump says he's cool with it with his former daughter in law dating Tiger Woods. He was asked about it in the Oval Office yesterday. In the President's response, let them be happy.
Speaker 1: Tiger Woods announced on social media last week what Tabloyd's had been reporting for a while that he was dating Vanessa Trump, that is the ex wife of Donald Trump Junior. They were married for thirteen years. They have five kids together. And even though we only got confirmation of the relationship last week. President Trump said Tiger called him a couple of months ago to give him a heads up. They have been friendly, of course, both big golfers, and so nice to hear. It's all good, all.
Speaker 2: Right, We will continue here on this Tuesday morning, ron as I say, we're finally hearing now from recently returned astronauts Sunny Williams and Butch Willmore. The two made their first public comments and spending an unexpected nine months at the International Space Station. They were originally only supposed to be up there for a week.
Speaker 1: Yes, Willmore acknowledged in human spaceflight they prepare for a number of contingencies, saying this is a curvy road. You never know where it's going to go, and that certainly the case for both Wilmore and Williams. The astronauts said they were actually surprised by how much intense public focus was on them and their mission.
Speaker 2: So after making it to the International Space Station in Boeing's Starliner capsule, they ran into some problems with the thrusters during the docking process. NASA made the decision to return the aircraft without a crew. It did make it back safely by the way, but they too then had to remain on the space station for another two hundred and eighty six days.
Speaker 1: We say had to and they we've even reported that they were stuck, and they didn't like that because they said, hey, we put ourselves to work, we stayed busy in space, and they said their extended stay was likely much harder for their families than it was for them. Wilmore and williams our meeting with Boeing leaders and engineers to talk about some upgrades to the Starliner capsule, but one of the big headlines was they said they would fly on it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Will Moore said, we're going to rectify the issues we encountered, We're going to fix it, and we're going to make it work. Boweing's completely committed, NASA is completely committed. And with that, I get on in a heartbeat. What good for them? Was good to see them with so much talk about them, and we were all interested in that story, but it was really really nice to see their smiling faces up there yesterday and to hear their story. What an incredible story they'll have.
Speaker 1: They love what they do and it probably in a lot of ways was a treat that they got to do more of it. It's not every day that anyone or any one of us would ever give the opportunity to go to space so cool that they enjoyed it and they want to go back.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, well stay with us here on this Tuesday Morning run when we come back. Hooters has filed for bankruptcy, but don't worry, those short shorts aren't going anywhere. Also, Yukon women keep making history and keep impressing us all going back to a final four, they're twenty fourth. Also, do you even know why we have an April Fool's Day? It's quite confusing, and the truth is nobody really knows. We continue our Tuesday Morning ron now and for this next leg. Not everybody has a thing for Hooters And now, the restaurant chain famous for its wings and other stuff, has filed for bankruptcy, but swears it's not going out of business.
Speaker 1: Hooters announced it's going into bankruptcy in order to restructure its business and deal with the reported three hundred and seventy six million dollars in debt. But at the same time they're going into bankruptcy, they are making this clear they are here to stay in a statement, the CEO says, the bankruptcy filing marks an important milestone in our effort to reinforce Hooters financial foundation and continue delivering the guest obsessed hospitality experience and delicious food our customers and communities have come to expect.
Speaker 2: Now, the company is selling its one hundred and fifty restaurants to a group of current franchisees. The company says it will look like business as usual for customers. This is not a surprise. We've seen several restaurant change red Lobster among them, that have had to make some pretty drastic changes and cuts because they're dealing with the pain of labor and food costs. So not surprising. But this is an iconic brand for one reason or another.
Speaker 1: But I love how you're dancing around the whole thing.
Speaker 2: There's nothing to dance around here. That's what this is all about.
Speaker 1: Big boobs, big what tight shirts, big boob short shorts. That's their that's their signature.
Speaker 2: It's a look. Sure. But I haven't been into a Hootera's restaurant in maybe since college.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, just having I don't know that I've ever been in one.
Speaker 2: It's I think I might have. It's iconic. It did its thing, it grew into the business. It is. It's suffering now it's going to stick around. Thinks people are gonna.
Speaker 1: Be that it is an iconic American restaurant experience.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll continue on our run this morning with Yukon women. They are going back to the final four. That's sounds familiar because it should sound familiar, because this story program has now made sixteen of the last seventeen final fours. That takes a minute to sink in because most coaches can only dream of getting to one. You get to two, you're one of the greats. You get to three, you're a Hall of famer. They have made sixteen of the last seventeen. That's just unreal, it really is.
Speaker 1: And the two seeded Huskies did it again last night in convincing fashion against one seed USC. And you know what, it's important to point out USC was without its big star. We talked about this on a podcast last week. Juju Watkins, who went down earlier in the tournament with a season ending injury. The pain on her face was palpable, and certainly her team missed her last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can only think about what might have been, but longtime Yukon phenom Page Becker's known as page Buckets. She dropped thirty one last night. She had forty in the previous game. They look great. They won that game last night seventy eight sixty four and the other game of the night. One seed Texas Dispatch two seed TCU, Texas and Yukon now joined South Carolina and UCLA to make up the women's Final Four, which starts Friday in Tampa. And that's three number one seeds. Yukon is the only number two seeds on the men and women's side. All one seeds except for Yukon, they're the only two seed in. But this program twenty four final fours overall, eleven national titles. They're used to winning. But you asked earlier, like the most impressive thing about them last night gives you an idea of their mindset is what they didn't do, which is what most teams do after they make a final four, the celebration afterwards. They don't do it.
Speaker 1: They don't cut down the nets. Why the idea of cutting like, explain this to me. The idea of cutting down the nest is kind of like, hell yeah, we took that basket and we I mean, what's the point of it.
Speaker 2: It's tradition. You do it after championship. They do it on all levels, high school levels, even there's a huge accomplishment. You're gonna get a trophy that goes into some case, and you take the net and you place it over that trophy. It's just a part of it. This is the net we won in and then every player cuts a little piece of that net and they take it home with them and it's just a part of tradition. Yukon women as their tradition, they don't touch the nets after they make a final four because their mindset is we're not done. We ain't won anything. We just made it to the next round of the tournament. That's a mindset and that lets you know why they are great. That is gangster to me. We don't want the net everybody celebrating all these other teams cutting it. Oh, they don't touch it. They had a ladder set up for them to go up and cut the net down. It was not used. I love love this about the Yukon women. We will continue now the next leg of our run. Let's get into some April fools. Day now, and a lot of people today are expecting to hear just kidding from the makers of sour Patch Kids candy after what seemed like a just too obvious April Fools joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a problem with April Fools jokes. They need to be subtle, right for you to actually believe them. Well, this wasn't so sad. The company that makes sour Patch Kids candy announced that they are no longer going to be sour and they're no longer going to be called sour patch Kids. Instead, they're just going to be now patch Kids. Come on, it's hard for me to even say that. And making the announcement on social media, the company said, we've heard enough, We've had enough. You are not sour enough. Well, guess what, We're not sour at all anymore effective Immediately, we're no longer sour patch Kids. Instead, we're giving you exactly what you deserve, just Patch Kids. While this may seem sudden, our decision is final.
Speaker 2: It's too far right. They went too far. Sour Patch Kids are one of the most popular candies in this country. In fact, was whatever website, candy dot com or whatever. It was the number three best selling candy at Halloween. You're not going to change a working formula.
Speaker 1: And yes, I mean it got me through my second pregnancy. Those sour patch kids really help stave off nausea. So the sour was a key component to the candy.
Speaker 2: What if they're actually for this cannot be, it's not.
Speaker 1: There's no possible way because the sour is the selling point.
Speaker 2: Yes, so just wait for it on the final leg. Though, why do we even have an April Fool's Day? Why is it that countries all over the world celebrate April first as the day to prank people?
Speaker 1: We were curious because we didn't know the answer. You asked me this yesterday. Do you know why we have April Fool's Day? I said, actually no. When it turns out, nobody really knows for sure. But there are several theories, and one of the leading leading theories is this one. This makes a lot of sense to me. Actually, in the fifteen hundreds, in France, there was a switch from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar.
Speaker 2: Clear is it right up? You get it? Let us explain what the hell that means. So the two calendars. We go back to France, the Julian calendar was established by Julius Caesar. The new year started on April first, right, So when it was replaced in France with the Grigoran calendar, named after Pope Gregory the thirteenth, the new year started on January first. That's the calendar we all use now. But there was a switch, right, so news didn't necessarily travel quickly in those days. You can't just go to Twitter, you can't just turn on the TV. So some people didn't get the memo that the new year is now supposed to start on January first, and they kept celebrating New Year's on April first, and those people became known as Yes April fools, and they were subject to jokes and rell cule and tricks, and part of the tricks they would attach a fish, a paper fish to somebody's back and see how long they walked around town with it on their back.
Speaker 1: It's like a like a kick me sign, but kind of that back in the day.
Speaker 2: Longer you had it on the dumber you are. It was a little joke they would do, but it was I had no idea. That's just a theory.
Speaker 1: Nobody knows for sure, but that actually makes a lot of sense. Like, I get that, and I could see why people think that the new year starts on April four, because you finally start to get warmer weather and it's like a reset. Spring is here. So it makes a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 2: Didn't you use this term in a podcast Vernal equinoxies. Yes, that's springtime. So that's another theory, is that simply around the vernal equinox, people were thrown off by the change of weather. They were fooled by it. So that is a theory of why they're called April fools.
Speaker 1: Like you know, on Saturday when it was eighty degrees in New York City and on Sunday when it was forty degrees.
Speaker 2: We were all March fools.
Speaker 1: We were March fools. All right. Well, we would like you to consider this as you head out on your April Fools Day today. It's our quote of the day.
Speaker 2: Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I liked this. I thought this is cool. A lot of people have a lot of quotes about courage, but this one spoke to me. This is from Mary Ann Rodmaker. She's a writer and an author, but it just it was my Sometimes we just need to reset right. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow. And with that, thank you so much for running with us. Everyone.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robots and I am TJ. Holmes. See you on the home Day run tomorrow