Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central, from.
Speaker 2: The most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's.
Speaker 3: America's only source for news. This is the Daily Show with your.
Speaker 1: Host Jordan's Clopper.
Speaker 4: What Joe Jordan's clumber. We got so much to talk about Tonight. Florida tells teens to touch grass, the Supreme Court finds out what women want, and Donald Trump just read a book. So let's get into tonight's headline, shall we. Let's begin with the ongoing legal woes of America's defendant in.
Speaker 5: Chief, Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Trump has just over a week to come up with one hundred and seventy five million dollar bond in his real estate fraud case. And if he can't get it from selling shares in a social media company, or borrowing from his billionaire friends, or teaming up with Giuliani for a sexy car wash, then and this latest very classy business venture.
Speaker 5: Just might do the trick.
Speaker 6: I'm proud to be partnering with my very good friend Lee Greenwood, who doesn't love his song God Bless the USA in connection with promoting the God Bless the USA Bible. This Bible is the King James version and also includes our founding for other documents. Yes, the Constitution, also, the Bill of Rights, the Declaration of Independence, and the Pledge of Allegiance are all part of this. All Americans need a Bible in their home, and I have many.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite.
Speaker 5: Book, many, many, many. How does that thing not burst into flames immediately?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Trump is mashing together the Bible and the Constitution.
Speaker 5: Like it's a pizza hut taco bell.
Speaker 4: And I know people will say that you're not supposed to mix the Bible and the Constitution, But what you have to understand is Trump has never read either of them.
Speaker 5: If we step back and look.
Speaker 4: At this, Trump getting into business with God can only mean one thing. God is going to end up bankrupt and serving a three month prison sentence for lying under oath. I mean, what's amazing about this is that Trump just made five billion dollars on his new stock. Buddy, you're not supposed to be doing this embarrassing grifter shit. When you're that rich, Just start a private space company like a normal billionaire sociopathic.
Speaker 5: You don't see.
Speaker 4: Elon Musk selling his farts in jars to perverts.
Speaker 1: Do you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe I haven't looked into it. Probably probably you do.
Speaker 4: But you know, I bet if I bet if I bet, yes, he probably.
Speaker 5: Let's move on, shall I. Let's move on to the big news of the day.
Speaker 4: As we've all heard by now, this morning, a cargo ship leaving Baltimore crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge, collapsing the entire bridge into the water. Now, early indications suggests the crash was caused by a power failure on the ship, but that's not going to stop America's professional fearmongers from blaming it on whatever's most convenient to them.
Speaker 7: The White House says there are no indications of foul play here. Of course, we're we're worried about a potential, you know, terrorist attack given the wide open border.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm no expert in what's going on in the seas, but all I would say is that if you talk to employers in America, they'll tell you that filling slots with employees who aren't drug adled it's a very huge problem.
Speaker 9: And what are we doing to make sure that we have the best infrastructure in the world so that when a ship passes by and clips the bridge, that it doesn't entirely collapse.
Speaker 5: Alex Jones tweeting looks deliberate to me. A cyber attack is probable. World War three has already started. World War three has already started. But I have doomed tickets this weekend. Can I least see it before I enlist in the war? Who are we fighting? Exactly? Is the boats?
Speaker 4: Are we fighting the boats? You know what doesn't matter. I'll just start shooting. We'll figure it out later. You know, media figures you are allowed to just say we're waiting for more information, right, We don't need to fill every moment of uncertainty with bullshit. It might be too early to speculate, but can we prove that this wasn't P Diddy's getaway sex barge? Stay tuned and buy up?
Speaker 1: Look?
Speaker 4: Of course, America's infrastructure is in need of updating, of course, but I don't think this is the proof. Falling down is kind of what you expect a bridge to do when a giant cargo ship slams into it. If your grandma gets body slammed by the rock, you're not gonna blame her broken bones on a calcium deficiencyt You're gonna blame it on her not bringing her a game to the rock. You gotta step it up nightA gotta step it up home on Yes, finally, finally, finally, and some social media news. If you're a pre teen in Florida watching clips of the show on TikTok, you're about to be in a world of trouble.
Speaker 10: We turned out to a social media showdown in Florida, Governor ron Dea Santas signing a bill banning children under fourteen from having their own social media accounts.
Speaker 11: If this law holds, Florida will have one of the most restrictive social media bands in the country. The new measure bar social media accounts for children under the age of fourteen and requires parental concess for fifteen and sixteen year olds. It also mandates that social media platforms search for and remove the profiles of kids who don't meet the age requirement.
Speaker 4: This makes me so mad, This asshole, Ronda Sansus might have done something I agree with.
Speaker 12: I mean, what.
Speaker 5: Wait, what does the say about me? I don't know what that says about me.
Speaker 4: I do think maybe this law isn't a bad idea. I think we can all agree that social media is a nightmare for kids. It increases their risk of depression, It exposes them to predators, It harms concentration. It gives you a wildly unrealistic expectation of how.
Speaker 5: Easy it is to prepare meals.
Speaker 4: Just throw in the potato, some stallion, some boiling water, a couple of fast that it's well, beautiful dinner, and your entire family loves you.
Speaker 3: You're a great father.
Speaker 5: No, it's not that easy. It turns out there's a lot of prep work. The videos don't show you that.
Speaker 4: They gotta blanch the onions and you got a Julianne the carrots.
Speaker 5: Now it's ten pm. Your kids are starving. They hate you. Why am I supposed to be doing all the cookie anyway? I was at work all day. I'm not a failure of an ta he God, damn it.
Speaker 4: Hypothetically, the point is, if Florida teenagers are kicked off of their phones, maybe they can focus on all the quintessential experiences of being a teen in Florida, things like wrestling a gator at prom, or going to the library and reading the four books that are still legal to read, or trying to avoid Matt Gates on your walk home from school. You know, classic Florida teen shit. Honestly, I wish Ron DeSantis had run on this when he was a presidential candidate. This, this is a much better message than his platform of wearing high heels and smiling like a demon in a horror movie.
Speaker 5: There's always twenty twenty eight Ron.
Speaker 4: For more reaction on the social media van, we go to Josh Johnson in tell Josh.
Speaker 5: I'll be honest, I don't hate this bill.
Speaker 4: I think getting kids off social media will benefit them in all sorts of ways, kind of development, better time management, personal skills.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be great for them. Yeah, Jordan, I couldn't agree more. And that's the problem.
Speaker 9: Okay, if you kick kids off of social while the rest of us stay on it, you're giving them a competitive advantage. How am I going to compete against a well rounded child after social media has already broken me? I have short term memory loss, bad eyesight, no attention span, crippling anxiety, short term memory loss, and according to TikTok all those symptoms mean I might be pregnant.
Speaker 4: Okay, jus, come on, I'm pretty sure you can compete with a fourteen year old.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 9: I've been staring down at the phone for twenty years, I can't even make strong eye contact.
Speaker 4: Look stop that, stop stop doing stop doing that, stop do don't stop.
Speaker 5: Don't ever do that again, Josh, I don't know any other way.
Speaker 4: Okay, I understand your concern, but you have to admit social media is awful for kids. They just spend all day bullying each other online.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I get that, but banning social media won't make the bully energy go away. It'll just redirect it to the rest of us, specifically me.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 9: I used to live across from middle school Jordan. I basically couldn't go outside after three. I was walking home one day in shorts and a kid in a wheelchair yelled at me.
Speaker 5: Damn, I thought my legs d Okay.
Speaker 4: Okay, fair, but you are an adult. You can handle a couple of accurate comments. But there have been conclusive studies that social media lowers kids self esteem.
Speaker 5: What about my self esteem?
Speaker 9: A child said I look like a pedophile merge with one of his victims, and his friend said that they loved my performance of Fast Car at the Grammys.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, I guess I can see it.
Speaker 9: You want to know what else they said because they had more of the chamber.
Speaker 5: I don't know what they said.
Speaker 4: Maybe nice suit to come with the car seats, or you're like if little Wade never wrapped, or.
Speaker 5: I didn't know adults came in fun selling or something like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jordan, damn you too.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: It's just easy. Okay.
Speaker 5: So to be clear, you're saying you opposed this bell.
Speaker 12: Yes.
Speaker 9: In fact, it should be magic toy for these kids to be on social media. Every child's face should be glued to a screen to protect me, I mean us when we walk home in Georg's.
Speaker 4: You can't argue with that, Josh Johnson, everybody.
Speaker 5: We will turn to find out how Republican to get voters back.
Speaker 12: Don't go away, Welcome back to the other show.
Speaker 4: In the last few years, anti abortion activists have had a string of successes at the Supreme Court, but today it appears that their winning streak might be in jeopardy.
Speaker 13: The Supreme Court today appeared likely to preserve access to memphor pristone, the medication used in nearly two thirds of abortions last year. During oral arguments this morning, court watchers say a consensus seemed to develop among the Justices that the abortion opponents who filed suit lack the standing to sue.
Speaker 1: Now, if that.
Speaker 13: Stands, it would allow patients to receive the drug by mail order without a doctor's visit.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: Looks like women in red states can still get an abortion as long as they can sneak in a pill through the male success. Maybe women have too many rights now, I don't know. Even if the abortion pill survives this time, it's clear that women's reproductive health will be under threat for a long time, which presents a big problem for Republicans who are trying to figure out how to win over women voters while taking their rights away. The Republicans do have a woman problem. What do they need to do to message to those folks better?
Speaker 11: A brand new strategy memo circulating up the house gup's policy retreat recommending that members express empathy for women.
Speaker 4: Express empathy. Okay, novel idea. Let's keep brainstorming.
Speaker 14: Republicans need to learn how to talk about abortion in a way that is going to appeal to suburban voters, single mothers, married mothers, women across the political spectrum.
Speaker 5: Yes, be as appealing as that guy. Okay, good notes, you a good notes, you're very good notes.
Speaker 4: Yes, achievable, I think, yes, Okay, any other Bret's taking the obvious suggestions. What do you think the Republicans need to do with their abortion messaging?
Speaker 10: Well, I think it's an overall message in general. You got to talk directly to the people. You got to give and take on some issues. It looks like the majority of Americans don't like the rape and incest thing.
Speaker 4: All right, I forgot, I won forgot almost the maturity of Americans don't.
Speaker 5: Don't like the rape and incest thing.
Speaker 4: Right, It's amazing what the polling shows. Well, here's a humble suggestion. Maybe one way to win over women is not to talk about rape and incests like it's a menu item. You forgot the name of Oh we went to that cute place and we had the what was it? The rape and incest thing? You know, the but the philo do crossed so good. But obviously, if Republicans want to get the support of women, they could focus less on tweaking their messaging and.
Speaker 5: Just, I don't know, give women their rights back. Not that complable, that's an idea, but.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe it's going to take extreme measures for Republicans to realize that.
Speaker 1: Mead Senator Tim Greco.
Speaker 15: He likes past cars, sexy women, and abortion bands with no exception for rape, incest or the life of the mother.
Speaker 1: The eyes have it total abortion band. He thought he has politics all figured out. Our whole numbers of women are just thanky. It just doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 5: They're probably just mad.
Speaker 1: They suck at sport Kobe until one day I'm gonna go jack off in the breastfeeding room.
Speaker 15: A freak jacking ofth accident transformed him that's killing me into the one thing his political party couldn't understand.
Speaker 12: WHOA I'm a woman.
Speaker 1: This November, it's you're pregnant.
Speaker 5: I can't be pregnant.
Speaker 1: It's thirsty Thursday.
Speaker 5: Isn't there some kind of a medical procedure I could get?
Speaker 3: You mean an abortion?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: God, no, no, I mean like a medical procedure, not.
Speaker 1: In this state.
Speaker 5: Thanks to that law Tim Greco just passed.
Speaker 15: Shouldn't have made.
Speaker 16: That sign so specific.
Speaker 1: The inspirational story of one Republican bought HiT's me.
Speaker 5: It's in Greco.
Speaker 13: I got turned into a pregnant woman from a magical breast pump on my penis.
Speaker 5: I believe you to continue.
Speaker 7: I know what women biggers want?
Speaker 5: Legalized abortion.
Speaker 1: Man's a good one.
Speaker 5: Hey, does this mean, since you're a lady now that I could have a sex with you?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 15: And what it's probably gonna take to make Republicans realize what women voters actually want.
Speaker 1: Women voters want access to abortion, you know, like before or maybe women voters want trans people banned from working in sandwich shops.
Speaker 3: Write that down? Hey now, but sure a woman to leave?
Speaker 12: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Do no.
Speaker 16: Me?
Speaker 1: What women voters want coming to theaters with this book?
Speaker 5: We come back to photos. We're been joining me on the show, so go away. Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess tonight is to see it at anchor, chief national security analyst and best selling author whose latest book is called The Turn of Great Powers, Russia, China and the Next World War plays Welcome Jim showed out.
Speaker 5: The Turn of the Great Powers, Russia, China and the Next the Next World War? What are we talking? Is it's going to be a cold war? A hot war.
Speaker 3: It's an uplifting story, you know something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a lovely read that I read to my kid just to scare him to do better in school.
Speaker 16: To be honest, it's a warning, right, And I've spent a lot of years in these places, tracking these things which I which I think we have to be concerned about. So it's meant to be a warning, and I think it's a serious one. But I also think going into it, we that is, the people who want a world not run by autocrats, right, and not about.
Speaker 3: Half of us?
Speaker 16: Yeah, more, maybe even maybe even more, we have some advantages going into it, right, So so I direct over time to ways that we could find a way forward, right, avoid the next World war, but also come out on top of the things that we hold valuable.
Speaker 4: It provides in some ways a blueprint to get past that, but also looks back as how we've gotten where we are right now. You're focusing a lot about where we're on this moment with Ukraine, talk about where we are with China. You call this a post post Cold War moment. How do you draw that line from the Cold War to the post Cold War?
Speaker 3: So you know, for my generation and you're younger than me, but.
Speaker 5: Twenties, Max, we remember that moment.
Speaker 16: We remember that night followed the Wall nineteen eighty nine, followed the Berlin Wall, collapse of the Soviet Union. This was we thought bringing about a period of peace, and it did for a time, right, I mean, the Cold War was over, and for a very brief moment in time, the US and Russia, if not friends, found a way to go forward. And with China, even if it was growing more powerful. We thought that Russia and China that we could work with them all the time, and there's still ways we could work with them. But we thought that they wanted what we wanted, right, We were mirroring to some extent. And the truth is, they don't really want what we want to a large degree, because they see it, and to be fair, they're seeing this from a different perspective. They see our world order as being to our advantage and not theirs. So they see it as in their interests to make America weaker and to undermine that system. Now, that'd be clear when I talk to folks you know, in Europe, in Asia, here in the US, they don't believe that China and Russia want to.
Speaker 3: Go to war with us, right. There are smart enough people to know that that would be a horrible war, to be a hot one.
Speaker 16: That said, they're willing to push the limits pretty far, I mean, And one that we saw just in the last few years, right, is the largest invasion, the largest land war in Europe in eighty years, right, I mean, that's a pretty big deal.
Speaker 3: That shows how far they're willing to push the liber.
Speaker 4: Well, you wrote this book obviously before the terrorist attacks in Russia just a week ago. I'm wondering how you see an attack like that effect seen some of these some of these pathways.
Speaker 16: Well, listen post nine to eleven. That was a period when the US and Russia actually worked together on terror. They were sharing information and so on, and it showed that there are times that you have shared interest and that's a good thing. And there are other things too. The US and China actually at times work together on climate change. That's not a bad thing, but the whole host of things that we don't work together on or like at log our heads on. That period with Russia certainly ended to the point where the reporting is that the US actually warned Russia that an attack like this was in the offing, and Putin basically ignored that warning. You know, that's partly a lack of trust, which is important. It's partly a lack of communication that those channels just aren't open anymore. So that's a sign of one of the dangerous trends here is that we don't talk in ways that we used to. And I'm not necessarily talking about happy talk, right, but we don't have hotlines open that we used to, which are important to keep small things from becoming bigger things. And those hotlines developed because in the last Cold War, we.
Speaker 3: Got really damn close, right.
Speaker 16: I mean, if you think the Cuban missile crisis, right, I mean, that was and I talk about this in the book because it's about learning lessons from history as well, but that came close to.
Speaker 3: It to a global nuclear war.
Speaker 16: And after that, folks like Kennedy iven Khrishchief said, we got to find ways that that doesn't have.
Speaker 3: We don't get that closer.
Speaker 16: Let's have hotlines, let's negotiate some nuclear treaties, et cetera. And the thing is, we have to get back to that point because right now we're going this way, We're not going this way.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: You do talk a lot about that you have to keep these lines of communication open, and you also have a chapter or you look at this madman theory.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump brags about.
Speaker 4: The relationship that he has with Vladimir Potene, He brags about what he did with Kim Jong un, and I think on one hand you can see through what that means and what he wants from that. On the other hand, he's talking about legitimate connections. You actually even talk about some of the successes Trump had with his relationship with Kim John Un and this madman theory in some sense of being so big, so bragg and do show that tactically that sometimes can be beneficial in ways that other tactics can't.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 16: Listen, opening channels is not a bad thing, right, you know, sitting down with Kim Joe Nun is not a bad thing.
Speaker 3: Or with Putin or she. We have to be talking.
Speaker 16: That's better than not talking, because when you don't talk, I mean, that's true relationships as well, right, when you.
Speaker 5: Don't Jim safe, Well things, Jim, we got to say. But you're here to talk about the book.
Speaker 16: Jim, you talk about the Cold War war, all right, you gotta talk.
Speaker 3: Talking is not bad.
Speaker 16: But you also have to have realistic expectations. So so Trump had three face to face meeting with Kim Jogund went nowhere. Right, there were no agreements, but sheer force of personality is not going to change their long term interest The worrisome thing, right is that for Russia and China, these are strategic decisions to undermine the US and the system as it stands today again because they look at it as aligned against them, kind of skewed against them. So the strongest personality in the world is not going to change long term strategic interests.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 16: And if Trump imagines as he does, and by the way, don't trust me, I talk to folks who advised him at the most senior levels in his last administration. If Trump believes by his personality alone, he's going to fundamentally change dynamic, it just doesn't line up with reality.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 16: Doesn't mean talking is a bad idea, but you have to know who you're dealing with here, and you have to know what they're what they're seeking to do, and you have to be clear to say I'm not gonna let that happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you talked to a lot of Trump insiders here. I think something that stood out in reading this was we heard stories about Trump's desire to pull out of NATO, and I think you kind of walk through how close that was to becoming a reality and when I find compelling, like that's a big issue right now, and will I will, I will say when I go out and I talk to people at MAGA events, you know, there's an isolationist attitude to say the least. But I do think a lot of people don't when you bring up something like NATO. The idea of pulling out of NATO is a no brainer. We want to be to ourselves. That's it doesn't serve us any any and it does doesn't do us any good. And I will also say, as a younger generation, as somebody who's twenty four, as you pointed out, like the conversation at my school about the Cold War was short our understanding of NATO.
Speaker 5: We don't have.
Speaker 4: We are so disconnected from the realities of what that was created for that I think like the discussions we're having right now about the importance of NATO are falling on deaf ears on one one party and one candidate, but also on deaf ears on I think an electorate that isn't educated in history in a way to understand what NATO is supposed to do.
Speaker 5: Is this also a crisis of education one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know as well as me that the baseball bat doesn't work.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 16: When you're trying to convince people of the importance of these things or how it served our interests over time, you have just remind people and make an argument as to what we gain from it. I mean, I think when you look at a place like Ukraine. So Ukraine is a country of forty minute, it's the largest country in Europe. I've spent a lot of time there. They're lovely people, right. They don't want much more than what we have, which is to be able to choose your own leaders, travel where you want to go, and not get dumped off of building balconies. Right, if you write a critical piece about the person in charge of the country, I might be speaking about how Russia. You know what life is like in Russia today, that's the way it is. They don't want that, they don't want to live under that. So you have, you know, you have a sympathetic case as to why to help these people, or why to help the Taiwanese people defend themselves from China. But then you have a self interested case, which is that you know NATO has stood by the US. The only time NATO has invoked its mutual Defense Agreement was post nine to eleven, and they went to war with US in Afghanistan post nine to eleven. So you have that, but also a peaceful Europe that is free from Russian domination is in our interest. It's a vibrant Europe, it's an economically healthy Europe.
Speaker 3: We sell a lot of stuff there.
Speaker 16: We could go do business there, we could send our kids to semesters abroad there, that kind of thing. Things we buy are cheaper here because it's peaceful there. And you can say the same thing about Asia. You know, half the stuff in our homes comes through shipping lanes in Asia, which the US helps keep open. So you have both a sympathetic case to make for this kind of thing and a values case. But you also have a self interested case because we benefited that from that for years, not just since the last Cold War, but even going back to like eighty years ago post World War Two. That NATO and other treaties helped keep the peace pretty much. It's not perfect, but they did prevent so far, right, you know, the next World war. That's important. We benefit from that.
Speaker 4: You talked about this not just being a downer. There is a blueprint for some optimism there where do you see that?
Speaker 3: So a couple of things, one like, we don't want to look at them as ten feet tall. Russia or China. They make mistakes.
Speaker 16: So I mean, prior to the Ukraine invasion you've probably heard this too, a lot of folks were like, Prutin's way too smart. He's playing three dimensional chess with the West, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: He will never do it. Behold, he invades things.
Speaker 5: Nobody knows how chess works exactly. People use that metaphor. It's like, we don't we don't really have a good understanding.
Speaker 3: My year old daughter beats me a chess back.
Speaker 5: So they focused Jim.
Speaker 16: So you know, they make mistakes too, and he got himself in a horrible war, which you know he's effectively losing, right, And China makes mistakes as well, and its economy is you know, it's definitely flattening out this idea that China's is going to be growing forever. They've got weaknesses as well, So you want to start with we have advantages. The US economy is growing. You know, we have an open societ. People buy and want to buy American stuff, right, they don't want to buy Russian cell phones.
Speaker 3: Right, you know we we we there's a reason for that, right.
Speaker 5: I haven't tried.
Speaker 1: I tried, they might blow up.
Speaker 16: So we have advantages in that sense. We have a lot of friends and allies. One thing, when you look at Russian China, they don't have allies. I mean, Russia's biggest allies right now are China, North Korean Iran. I mean we we have all of Europe in effect on our side. We shared values, so we have advantages going in and then in terms of how to find a path so that we don't go to war. I mean people ask me this, They're like, well, it sounds like you're making the case to go to war against Russia and China. And I always say them, I said this before we came on. I've got a thirteen year old and fifty year old boy. They're like a minute away from draft age. And I'm sure folks in the audience who have kids think the same thing.
Speaker 3: You don't. You don't want them on a.
Speaker 16: US aircraft carrier on the Taiwan Straight if the US and China were to go to war. I don't want that I don't want that either, but we can learn from history here, right. One thing is communication lines matter. There's a reason why Kennedy and Khrushcheff were like, we got really close. I gotta have a phone on my desk. You gotta have a phone on your desk so this doesn't happen again. Those things have faded over time, and with China and a lot of respects, we haven't had them. They've come and gone when relationships have gone up and down. So communication matters, treaties matter. You know, we negotiated those nuclear arms treaties again to keep the US and Russia from going to war and kind of like just beating each other to death in a nuclear arms race. A lot of those treaties have gone away in the last several years, and there are Americans that are like, ah, we don't need those treaties. Well, actually they kind of help, right, And we have no treaties with China when it comes to nuclear weapons. There are no treaties regarding cyber weapons, there are no treaties red regarding weapons in space. I mean, Russia just you know, probably saw our story a few weeks ago, talked about putting a nuke in space to knockout satellites, which, by the way, just so you know, if you think about this war being a million miles away from us, you know, with cyber attacks or with attacks in space, we lose all the technology we depend on every day, GPS and communications and internet and the final anchial market stop. So you know, this stuff affects us at home. We need treaties for that stuff.
Speaker 5: We are heading to the good news.
Speaker 9: And you.
Speaker 5: Mentioned a nuclear weapon in space.
Speaker 3: This is why my kids love talking to their dads. This is what I bring home.
Speaker 16: But the final thing is that you can with those treaties, they can help. They can help this going down a bad path. And the final thing is that communicating what you want won't stand for matters, right, I mean, if you look, I speak a lot to the Estonian Prime minister.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 16: Estonia's like right on the front lines of this right next to Russia, and she constantly quoted Churchill about Hitler, which is which is an appeaser is the one who feeds the crocodile expecting that he'll be its last meal. The thing is that the parallels between a Hitler and a Putin is that if you give a little ground, he tends to take more. You know, he took a piece of Georgia in two thousand and eight, and he took Ukraine in twenty fourteen and then invaded again. That clear communication, and we learned this from from Hitler. You know, if you are soft and don't tell them what's too far for you, they might then take advantage and move forward.
Speaker 3: So the US, I think and its allies.
Speaker 16: Can be confident say we're not gonna allow you to invade countries because borders matter to us, and there are friends, and we're gonna stand in the way, and the costs are going to be high for you. That doesn't that doesn't necessarily mean we're gonna go We're gonna take you to war by any means, but that we defend our friends and we're gonna be strong. And those those messages matter over time, and if you look back, sometimes clear messaging can can can prevent miscalculation and can prevent the guy on the other side thinking he could take advantage of you.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a it's a great rate. The return of great powers available now. Be sure to check out CNN Newsroom on Max Jim shoot Out.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, We're gonna take us quick.
Speaker 5: Greg were back right after that.
Speaker 1: Here it is.
Speaker 12: I love it again.
Speaker 17: Religion is so important, it's so missing, but it's going to come back, and it's going to come back strong, just like our country is going to come back strong.
Speaker 3: In the end.
Speaker 17: We do not answer to bureaucrats in Washington. We answer to God in Heaven. Christians are under siege. We must protect content that is pro God. We love God and we have to protect anything that is pro God.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from The Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and streamful episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast