Speaker 1: Hey there, Fana Ritos, and welcome to an all new episode of How Rude Tana Ritos. As you know, there's an actress who's appeared on Full House more than once, but as two completely different characters. She was first introduced as Becky's sister Connie, then came back as Karen, and will eventually appear as Connie again. Talk about whiplash and if that isn't wacky enough, this isn't the only TV show where she has played multiple characters. What Debbie Gregory herself is joining the podcast today to tell us all about her roles on Full House and how this opportunity came to be. So please give a warm welcome to Debbie.
Speaker 2: Do you hear me? Guys?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Hi, there you are.
Speaker 2: We can hear you.
Speaker 4: Okay, can you see me?
Speaker 1: I can't see you, but I can hear you. And Jody just went to do a she went to get a coffee or find a microphone, one or the other.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I already see that cookie jar.
Speaker 2: Oh I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got all my Full House swag behind me.
Speaker 2: What do you have?
Speaker 3: You have your hat?
Speaker 4: I have a hat. I still have this little fanny pack.
Speaker 1: Fanny pack. Yes, I have the fanny pack. I don't think I have the hat. I am jealous. Where did I put that hat? These are wrap party gifts. I'm assuming you have a.
Speaker 4: Real practical Christmas gift that everybody probably needed.
Speaker 1: A messenger bag. Yes see, I like the practical gifts.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like, there's only so many water bottles you need, but a messenger bag.
Speaker 4: Love it, I know, and I know it's storage. I have a denim jacket and a Bomber baseball jacket. And yes, it's never gonna die. No never, You're going to have it in your heart and in the universe forever. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The fans are the fans are so loyal that they are just keeping this train going.
Speaker 3: We love it. They love it. We're very excited to have you on the show today.
Speaker 4: This is so honored and I'm so shocked that you even want me on the show. That's so crazy.
Speaker 3: Oh no, we were like, do you think Debbie would come on the show?
Speaker 4: No, it's so funny how everybody makes well. They make such a big deal about the two characters, like.
Speaker 3: Okah, this has been a big topic.
Speaker 1: This has been a big topic, and we've only gotten to your second your second episode of the five you were on on Full House, so we just saw you as Karen in the Greatest Birthday Party, Oh.
Speaker 2: My god, the circus.
Speaker 4: I just watched it. Whenever Maddie contacted me, I was, I'm so impressed with your whole podcast. I've been listening since you.
Speaker 2: So I love you. Yeah, it's been it's been really fun. But yeah it was. We were like, I was like, wait a minute, she looks really familiar, and then it was like, wait that it was. It was one of It was a great Full House esque moment, like such an eighties nineties sitcom moment in the soap op remote where it's like just don't yeah, we know you'd see.
Speaker 3: The handle about it away.
Speaker 2: We're gonna yeah. But it was great and definitely something that the fans UH love to pick up on.
Speaker 4: But you know, I think that happened a lot like I was on an I was on Hearts of Fire with the John Ritter and Market Post and I was first a guest star in their DC location and they were going to set me up with Billy Bob Thornton's character, and then the show moved to Uh, oh my gosh, where they moved to. The producers were from I don't know. They're from the South somewhere. So they moved moved to the newspaper, local newspaper, and then I was their secretary, so I came back as another character. Got it. It's so interesting. And then on Full House, I think Jeff's secretary, Robin was on a few times.
Speaker 3: She's she's yeah.
Speaker 1: We've seen her once as one of the ripper parties. She was rocking out with her tambourines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was like right around the time I was on the Greatest Birthday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, that's exciting. That is so cool.
Speaker 1: Well, we first see you as Connie, who is Becky's sister, also the mother of Howie, who Michelle gets very obsessed with.
Speaker 2: Very fast. I don't know if you I don't know if you heard the Howie episode I watched.
Speaker 4: Oh I heard, yeah.
Speaker 2: Totally, okay, okay, yeah, Howie.
Speaker 3: Forty seven times.
Speaker 1: Forty seven times Michelle says Howie, Howie.
Speaker 4: And I said three words, two of which was probably Howie. No. I think I said something like that it's a cute couple or something. I have no line. So it's so funny that fans would even remember that little part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the fans are shows over. I mean again, we know nothing compared to the fans they are. They are guiding us through much of the much of the episodes. But yeah, they definitely they definitely picked up on that. Now, how I mean, I'd love to hear your story, you know, three full house days. I heard that weirdly. Phil Donahue, who just passed, uh this past week, is he the person who initially encouraged you to start acting? And yeah, really, how did that?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll give you a brief. I always wanted to be a producer and okay, and in high school, Okay, my best friend to this day, I'm going to see you're in San Clemente. Is Karen Miller?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Okay, so I know. So we went to high school together and then her father was the executive producer of The Mike Douglas Show. And then he had to transfer from Miami. We lived in Miami, Okay, transferred to Philly, and so Karen lived with me our senior year, so she didn't have to miss being with all our friends and stuff.
Speaker 2: So then, of Karen, she's such a Karen Miller was one of the producers on Full House and has sort of stayed in contact. I know my mom has talked to her throughout the years. We you know, followed each other on social media and stuff. But anyway, for those of you wondering who Karen is, she was a lovely, wonderful, incredible producer that was on the show when we were young and was always super sweet and kind as.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you should have her on.
Speaker 2: We should, Yeah, we should get Karen absolutely.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a great idea.
Speaker 4: Dad was in Miami and we almost died. Karen and I found out that Casey and the Sunshine Band was going to be on Michael Mike Douglas show.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yea.
Speaker 4: That's like before your time and you weren't born, so we.
Speaker 2: Know, but I mean I know of Casey and the Sunshine Band.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, yeah. Well, so we skipped school to go to this Mike Douglas taping and got to meet Casey and I thought I was going to die and we took pictures with him and it was just so fun. So they college, and I want to be I want to do that. I wanted to you know, do TV television, and so I majored in broadcast journalism at University of Florida. Okay, yeah, and I I took off my junior year to go intern at a TV station in Miami called w TVJ. So I worked for public affairs down there, and then I worked for a remember PM magazine.
Speaker 2: I was a little bit like.
Speaker 4: A precursor to Entertainment Tonight Act Yeah yeah, okay evolved into more just you know, pop parazzi stories, but it used to have more content. And so then I went back to college. Oh when I left, you know, interns always get offered a job and they're like, Okay, come back when you graduate. So I went back my senior year and worked on everything television, Like I was a DJ. Oh, I was a DJ for a little bit, and then I worked at the Tables station and then I had a show called Come Together and I reported and produced that. And after I don't know how long, I guess I was there, like one year, Playboy magazine came and I went to interview them and they were like, I said, oh, what are you looking for? And he's like, oh, blonde hair and blue eyes, something like you. And I said, no, I'm not doing it, and so he goes, oh, you can be dressed, and I said, all right. So I was in the Girls of the SEC in nineteen eighty one and then all I would say, I wouldn't even give Playboy anything because I didn't want to tarnish my reputation as a broadcast serious journalist. And all they wrote is Wie wants a career in broadcasting. And that's the way it is. And that's like what Walter Cronkite used to.
Speaker 2: End all his right.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I digress. I went to Miami produced the show called Am South Florida Okay, and then that got canceled. It was in the eighties, and Phil Donahue hired me to freelance produce for him for two months. He was coming down to Florida and he said, oh, I know you're out of a job, and so he hired a couple of us from our show and for two months, and he couldn't take me back to Chicago. And he just looks at me and he's like, you know, you should really go in front of the camera. And I was like, oh, well, what time is it. I don't have a job. Okay, I'll try it.
Speaker 2: And that's right.
Speaker 4: Crazyly how I got in front of the camera so crazy. I go to California, Karen's there page at CBS and I'm like, Karen, you know, can I talk to the casting director over there about going from behind the camera to in front of the camera And She's like, yeah, sure, come in. So it was the casting director for Capital, the soap opera.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: I walked in like on a Thursday and said, hey, you know, told her my story and she hands me a script and says, read that line. And it was like one line and she goes, oh, well, you wear a bathing suit on television. I'm like yes, And so on Monday morning, be here and wear a bathing suit. And I got apart. I got one line on Capitol, and so that got me crazily into the right business.
Speaker 2: Yeah did you do? Like? Was it a repeat on Capital?
Speaker 4: Was recurring? It was a recurring part on Capitol. And then Young and Less hired me after them, and I was somebody's I don't I never really watched the show, but I was somebody's light attendant on her private jet a blog. I don't know what her character's name was, but yeah, So then I did those and then I got an agent who said, oh, don't you soaps do like sitcoms and commercials, and so I started doing that.
Speaker 2: So many people in this business start off in soap operas. I mean a lot. Yeah, oh well you you have me do maybe, yeah, gosh John John Brotherton John.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Definitely a lot of people in this business start, you know, in the world of soap operas. And I will say, my hats always go off to soap opera actors because it's a it is a it's a grind, it's it's every day. It's a lot of different stuff thrown at you every day.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's a great training ground for new actors though you know, it's a trial by fire, just throw you in there.
Speaker 4: And and sitcoms are right after that. I mean, I mean every day, five days of tell, four days a week.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, yeah, it definitely is it's it has its own I mean, you know, I think we always talk about, like, well, single cam has its own thing because those days can be like thirteen fourteen hour days and they're you know long, and you're on location and whatever. There's there's nice pluses and minuses, you know, pros and cons to each sort of thing. But what how long did you were you doing that before you then like kind of got your first sitcom gig. Was it pretty quick or did you find yourself?
Speaker 4: So I moved out there in eighty six and then I was doing the soaps and I don't know, do you want to hear the tea met Jeff?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Right, you can share whatever you you can edit it out if.
Speaker 2: You can always be like that, or we'll be like I have Jeff here we go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, go for it. I don't think he listens to this podcast.
Speaker 2: So you're saying he does sometimes. I went to lunch with Hey, yeah he does sometimes, but it's fine, no, go for it.
Speaker 4: I hope he gives us his blessings.
Speaker 2: You know he will, Oh my god, he does. Jeff is yeah, yeah, he loves the podcast. He loves us. So yeah, it's more all good.
Speaker 4: And I just I just spoke with him a few months ago. I know he had a surgery and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah he's doing better. I went to lunch with him on Tuesday and he's he's doing great.
Speaker 4: So yeah yeah, so so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know we love Jeff, but we know what we know Jeff, So what's the tea.
Speaker 4: Oh well, so I went with Karen to I was on my way to move to New York in summer of eighty seven. Okay, it takes me to the screening of his movie Summer School, all right, right, okay, And but I was on my way. I was leaving. Uh, I had you know, I was in love and I thought I was going to marry this guy in New York. And so whatever I was, nothing really happened, and then I had Uh. I flew to New York, only lasted there a year, came back. I was in the commissary with Karen, I think, and we I don't know what happened. So I had.
Speaker 2: I had no idea that you guys met through Karen. I had. I like I had. I didn't know that piece of of of the puzzle.
Speaker 3: It's all yeah, I didn't either.
Speaker 4: It's all her fault.
Speaker 3: She's the matchmaker.
Speaker 4: Now she wasn't. She wasted the match maker.
Speaker 3: She was just there, Okay, yeah, don't go.
Speaker 2: She was probably like this is a terrible idea, right right, yeah, She's like you're gonna go, right, yeah. I've had tons of friends like that. They're like, no, separately, you guys are don't forces.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we did. And it was anyway, So I think that episode Baby Love was just a weird episode. And I was just around and he said, oh, do you want to this part? It was like one line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was a quick one.
Speaker 2: It was was the focus was all on Howie. You know what I mean. It was. It was the obsession. You were just the device which got the legendary Howie into the building. And then that didn't matter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it required a lot of training.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It did, it really did. It was a lot of It was a lot of work. And yeah, and then and then it turns out Howie what was was.
Speaker 1: A young one, a young child, twin girls, how I was played by twin girls.
Speaker 2: And then didn't she didn't didn't we say? She came back to to play something else?
Speaker 1: No, No, how he comes back in season four for the wedding, but he's recast as male actor as Okay, got it, That's what it was.
Speaker 3: That's what I was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that how Wee.
Speaker 4: They were such babies.
Speaker 2: It didn't matter, that's yeah, No, it didn't matter. It totally didn't matter. Had you done other sitcom stuff prior to Full House? Or was that your first That was your first sitcom one.
Speaker 4: I had only done. I did some commercials. I did a Budweiser commercial and I think a natural turky. No that was after. Yeah, I did some commercials. Oh god, I did a cigarette commercial even back then. Yeah, so I was like, I'm not inhaling, so I hope I mean obviously right, Yeah, But that was it between the soaps and a commercials. And then I had moved to New York and my agents hated me being there. They couldn't cast me in anything, and they said come back to LA and I was like, oh good, because it's not working out with this guy. So it all made that come back. And so I was in LA for ten years, doing sitcoms here and there and commercials.
Speaker 1: And so at this point, did did you prefer being in front of the camera or did you kind of miss being behind the camera As.
Speaker 4: A producer, I would have liked to have like figured out a way to do both. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah there's appealing parts about each job that you don't get with the other job.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: Now, one thing, one interesting thing about Karen is that when we we first see her as the aunt to a kid, that's that's not Howie.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, first year as as Connie, whose mom to Howie. Then we meet her as Karen, who is the aunt to a kid at Michelle's birthday party. Then we see Karen again in season three. Oh yeah, as the time right, but this time she's a dance teacher who dates Danny and ends up being a complete slob. Oh, so the story of Karen develops. Karen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know if Karen in the in the birthday episode is the same Karen even and you know, I.
Speaker 2: Ask it's a different Karen. It's a different Karen impersonating the other Karen because she's already in person Connie is already impersonating that Karen. And now that Karen has split and is now impersonating the Karen. That's what I'm saying. Soap operas. It was the eighties. Nobody it was like, fine, it doesn't matter, bring him back from the dead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that, but we have to ask Jack that question. Why. I mean, I'm grateful, and I of course, you know, loved being on the show as much as I could and so, but you know, I'm sorry to any fans who are like, so.
Speaker 2: No, this is great. Are you kidding?
Speaker 4: Characters?
Speaker 2: They know it's perfect. This is the brilliance of Full House, and the brilliance of eighties television is that it just didn't matter. It was like, it's fine, don't worry about it. Well, you know, because there was so much time in like a season went, you know, twenty two, twenty four, twenty six episodes once a week, Like somebody you saw in the beginning of season two, they could have come back, and you were like that sort of vaguely for whatever, like it didn't. You're like, oh, I saw him on another show or something. It didn't. It's not like when you watch him now, like back to back, you're like, wait a minute, yeah.
Speaker 4: Because back then we would run the show and then we would run a rerun maybe in the summer, and then saw the show again. And now it's crazy And I have three children. Now you're twenty five, twenty four, and twenty two, and wow, my twenty five year old was a baby, a youngster old enough to know right. I loved watching Full House, except whenever I kissed Danny rid of any block it so nobody would see his mom kissing another.
Speaker 2: Man, and oh my god, that's hysterical.
Speaker 4: He didn't get it. He didn't. He was like young enough, he knew I was kissing another man, but he didn't get it was television and.
Speaker 3: Right right, make believe.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, kids, you don't.
Speaker 3: You don't want to see your mom or dad kiss anybody like each other, anybody.
Speaker 2: You're like, you're not a human. You're like, yeah, yeah, you're not. You don't have real feelings and people and things. Yeah. Now, so did your kids grow up than watching watching Full House?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, I mean I was. I was a celebrity in their school. Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: And oh, you know, it was really.
Speaker 4: Fun too, because oh my gosh. Okay, so Bob was great at donating stuff for me, and I reconnected with him. I don't know how he remembered this, but we were at a Broadway show and it was intermission, and so I was in the lobby area and all of a sudden, some when he comes up and whispers in my ear, I was rolling your socks while we were kissing. Was like.
Speaker 2: Holding socks behind my back.
Speaker 4: I said that to him, and oh, okay, well we were kidding, and you know, he remembered that. He remembered that and he recognized me, and it was so fun and he was just as awesome as and then we connected and he gave me scripts and photos whenever I needed anything. And he came to Tampa to do the you know a bit at the Improv and it was right around my birthday in September, so I rallied up sixty friends and just took over the place for one of his shows.
Speaker 2: And oh, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: It worked so fine, and he was he roasted me, to know when my my ex husband was so mad, like he wouldn't even meet Bob after the show, and I was like, dude, he's he's making it all up. I never I never even touched I mean nothing.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Comics and I loved it.
Speaker 4: He was great.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks so much for listening to part one of our interviews, So make sure and tune in for part two of our interviews. In the meantime, make sure that you're following us on Instagram so you can get those fun behind the scenes picks and and all kinds of new stuff and that is at how Rude Podcast. You can follow us on Instagram or you can send us an email at howarudpodcast at gmail dot com. Don't forget to like and subscribe to the podcast wherever you're listening, so that you can get the newest episodes as soon as they come out. Oh remember, everybody. The world is small, but the house is full of Karen's and Connie's endless. I can't wait to see the next one. She's in yep and who she appears as? And socks behind your back.