Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephanie Flanders, head of Government and Economics at Bloomberg, and this is Trumps, the podcast that looks at the economic world of Donald Trump, how he's shaking up the global economy and what on earth is going to happen next. And this week we're finally talking about the K shaped economy. And I say finally, I mean it's a phrase that's been with us since at least COVID times, and you find increasingly often in the debates about the US economy. One reason we haven't talked about it until now is I can't decide what I think about it. On the one hand, the basic idea that wealthier people are thriving in today's economy while the poorer segments are doing worse and worse seems to capture how many people feel about the US recovery and about the way the world's going. More and more the rich seem to lead different lives from the rest of the population. There was a very striking episode of the New York Times Daily podcast looking at how even going to Disney World was no longer easily in reach for many middle class families and when they did go, they felt they had a very different experience from those with much deeper pockets who were jumping all the lines and all of that, and that did seem to capture something about the increasingly stratified nature of US society and of its consumption patterns. But and this is the key part for trumponomics, people who talk about the K shaped economy usually aren't just saying that the US is very unequal, but that it's getting more unequal in its wealth distribution and consumption as the economy grows, and that the recovery itself is increasingly dependent on the richest and therefore more vulnerable or lopsided than usual. So it's not just that it's sort of unappealing or maybe unfair that we have all this inequality, but that it's actually sort of risky for the economy. And it may be also explains why or suggests that the macroeconomic data that we're looking at doesn't tell the whole story of what's going on on the ground. It's all of that that I want to try and get into in a relatively short time, because I think it matters if any or all of that is true. Mark Zandy I'm very glad is joining us for this. He's chief economist at Moody's Analytics and one of the economists who's been perhaps more associated with this extremely buzzy phrase, and he has written recently in his research notes about how the economy has become steadily more case shaped. Mark, thank you very much for joining us. I think this is the first time we've had.
Speaker 1: You buzzy phrase.
Speaker 2: You're a very buzzy economist. I would say you specialize in buzziness and busyness.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there you go.
Speaker 2: We have another person making his trumpanomic's debut who's only recently joined Bloomberg Economics US team, Andrew Sacker. He's previously worked at senior levels at Jordan Park Advisors and the Managed funds associated pen Warton Budget Model, and a long time ago also the National Economic Council. Andrew, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Stephanie.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 2: You heard my sort of spiel there about the K shaped economy? Would you say that sort of stronger claim not just that the US is very unequal and rich people spend a lot more than poor people. Do you think that this K shaped narrative does tell us something valuable and important about this recovery.
Speaker 1: I do you know, I think the income wealth distribution, the consumption distribution is very skewed and has become more skewed, particularly most recently with the run up in the equity market, the stock market because owner the ownership of stocks is very narrowly focused, and that is driving a lot of what's going on with regard to consumer spending and the broader economy. As a plus in that we're getting the spending and we need it to drive growth, but it also highlights vulnerability in the economy, and that is it's very dependent on the well to do and the wealth to do is very are very dependent on what's going on in the equity market. So if the equity market keeps going north, then all is okay, at least in the near term. But if it goes south, the stock market has a pension for going up and it has a pension for going down. That could be a problem, particularly in the current context with lower mill income households under significant financial pressure for lots of different reasons, most recently being the Iran War and the impact that's having on prices for everything that they need. You know, we're really focused on the here and now in the very near term, but longer run, I think the skewing of the income wealth consumption distribution has other broader implications we need to think about in terms of, you know, our societal ills or political fracturing. And that's all before AI kicks into any kind of gear here. So yeah, I think this is an important topic and has lots of implications.
Speaker 2: I want to get into several of those, I guess, just to establish some of the facts, and I don't want to get too caught up in sort of you know them terminological trumponomics, which facts, Okay, trumponomics is about a state of the world. We're not endorsing any particular kind of economics. I think there has been a lot of debate. I think you were associated with a sort of, you know, a quite dramatic statistic about what share of spending was now associated with the top ten percent, and there's been a sort of a lot of back and forth.
Speaker 1: We're talking about my estimates. The reason why we were having all this debate is that there is no definitive source of data here, right, There is no smoking gun data point we can all point to and coalesce around so we're all looking at different data constructing different estimates. And I've constructed an estimate with my colleagues that is based on a methodology that was first unveiled by the throwers or back and the Internet bubble, and used quite extensively during the housing bubble because that was another period when we're seeing tremendous wealth effect. So it's just an estimate, and I, you know, I'm not going to die on the hill on that hill. I just created the estimate because we need to get some sense of the numbers here. Whether the numbers are precisely right, I don't know, but I think directionally and spiritually they're telling us the reality. And just to give you the kind of the headline number, going back to the buzzy, the buzziness of all this, the folks in the top twenty percent of the income distribution, and to be in that top twenty percent nationwide, you need to make one hundred and seventy five K. I know that doesn't sound a whole lot, like a lot in London or in New York, but that's a big deal. Yeah, okay, very good. So you know, if your makeover one seventy five K you're in the top twenty percent. You account for sixty percent of personal outlays, and that's up from fifty percent back in the early nineties. So that's a pretty striking number. Is it exactly that number, Well, I'm not sure, but it's a big number, and I'm pretty confident that it's been increasing and most recently increasing because the obvious the stock market has gone skyward, sending wealth stratospheric, and we know that the bottom two thirds of the American population don't own a whole lot of stock of any stock. It's really the top third, and really the top twenty percent, in the top ten percent, and the top one percent, the top point one percent. So we know this for sure, and that's where the action is, and that wealth is driving spending and we can feel it. You can see it. You can see it, and you know how retailer is doing, which retailers doing good well, which retailers aren't doing well. So I think it's it's pretty and you can see in the consumer sentiment surveys and the polls and everything. I mean, it's we don't have a data point that says this is the precise number, but everything but that data point is screaming, we got this is what's going on.
Speaker 2: I want to get into that because I think it's as important as the exact facts. Is this sort of the fact that everyone believes it, because that also affects behavior because it's true.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not there making this up.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, okay, So I think get that upper end. We can have a debate about what the exact share is, but there's clearly a large share. I think the BLS suggested it's maybe closer to forty percent, but you know, there's clearly a large share of the economy is associated with a relatively small highest income part at the lower end. Though, you have had this debate since COVID about whether or not real wages, even adjusted for their consumption patterns of the lower twenty forty percent of the population have kept up with this inflation we've seen. I want to bring in Andrew here. I mean, when you just look at the sort of the wage picture, which defines this affordability debate, certainly, from twenty nineteen to twenty fourteen, seemed like real wages have been keeping up with this inflation and even have seen some growth, even though the cost of sort of day to day items has gone up a lot, Is that right? Andrew?
Speaker 1: Oh, can I just let me just weigh in on there before Andrew comes? Sorry, Andrew, I just got out, can't resist. That's true. You know, we're focused on the distribution, and that's what you just articulated. And that's very true. The wealth distribution bottom through the American population. They don't own anything. They owe stuff, but they are in the middle part of the distribution. They own homes, they do own stock.
Speaker 2: But that's completely true. But this is but it's an example of something that people feel equally strongly is true and actually it's just not in the data. People feel that their wages have not kept up, even though everything in the data suggests that they have.
Speaker 1: Actually in the last year, it hasn't, right, I mean, it has not right. The data now say the real wages aren't rising for the folks in the bottom part of the distribution. In fact, real after tax income, so that's after inflation, after tax income has gone nowhere in the past year. And that's for the typical America in the middle of the distribution. So we know that real after tax income for people in the bottom half of the institution is probably falling, you know, at this point, so we know that for sure.
Speaker 3: And then at the bottom of the distribution, also the spending is a higher share of their income, so any inflation or you know, particularly gas prices is going to hit them harder. Having said that, how do you think about the sort of the medium term impact of AI where it would seem that people at the higher end of the distribution have more to fear.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm not sure. Like everything related to AI, I'm unsure. I'm uncertain. This can play on a gazillion different ways. You know, it feels like the workers that are most likely to be substituted out aren't the folks at the top, the highly skilled and with lots of experience they're going to be empowered by AI. It's really kind of folks in the middle part of the distribution, entry level, college educated with lesser experience. I should say, that's where it feels like the substitute ability is going to be most significant for the folks in the top part. It feels like a complimentute. So my intuition, my sense is that it's not going to hurt folks in the very bottom part of the distribution. It's going to benefit that folks in the top part of the distribution. The real pressure is going to be in the middle part of the distribution. But I say that with no confidence because there's just so many moving parts here.
Speaker 2: I suspect we'll go down the black hole if we think about it. Yeah, we'll try not to think about a just one episode. Not thinking about it.
Speaker 1: I will say though, for the next six, twelve, eighteen months, that is less relevant I think. I mean, clearly that's a big deal dead ahead, but I don't know that that's a bigger deal you know, through the ind of the year and through twenty twenty seven. That's going to play out for a longer period of time. I would think.
Speaker 2: So, Andrew. One of the reasons I want to have you on is that we were sort of playing around with this idea how much we thought was true. We all agree that this element of capital income and the pciation of the higher end, the people who own shares doing extraordinary well, and how that's driving a lot spending. But it is interesting some of the things that feel true so far we haven't been able to get data on. And you've been looking at the earnings and sales of stores that sort of sell to different segments of the income scale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we use the asp Bloomberg function and sorted the retailers into sort of mid range, low end like the Dollar Generals, and high end like Lulu Lemon, And over the last few years the sort of revenue growth was roughly the same in all three buckets. Mister, do you see something very different.
Speaker 1: Please call me. Mark. Sounds so forrrible. I know I'm getting older though, maybe that's what it is when you have no hair called mister more often. You know, I haven't looked at it as carefully as you, Andrew. My sense is listening to retailers, and it's all it's more anecdotal. Obviously. The folks that are the retailers are catering to the wealthier. They're doing quite well. And it goes beyond retail. When I think about it, I think about homebuilders, I think about vehicle sales, you know, I think more broadly about what people are spending their money on travel. Folks in the middle part of retailers that kind of cater to the middle and lower part, it's more difficult. It's been more of a slog. The lower end It's a little bit complicated, right, because you can see trading down right, because people in the middle part might be under a lot of pressure, and so they start shopping at low end retailers like a Dollar General. So it's hard to know, you know, exactly what the dynamics are there. We get all the credit files in the country from Equifax every month.
Speaker 3: I've got a.
Speaker 1: Census of all the credit files and anonymized obviously through May of this year. So it's a high quality data. Can't get any better than that data, and it's showing stress. I mean, if you're subprime borrower origination, and I talked I define subprime. There's a lot of debata as to what's subprime, but I defined subprime is below six sixty score. The typical American has a score that's kind of just over seven hundred, like seven ten, seven twenty, just for context, So if you're really six sixty. The delinquency rate, that's the percent of all loans outstandings that's across the whole shooting match, you know, that's cards and auto, consumer finance by now pay later, mortgage, so forth, and so on, is now over ten percent, and it's the highest it's been since twenty fourteen in the direction of travel is not very comforting. It's moving straight up. This is through May, and of course through May, everyone's getting tax refunds, big tax refunds because of the OBBA legislation, and that you know generally historically that goes to paying credit card debt and keeping current on your debt. So despite that, we've had this delinquency rate rise, and those taxi funds are now behind us, they're in the review mirror, and so we're and we're still with four dollars and fifty cents for a gallon of regular unleaded. It feels like that might even go higher at given events. So that's real data, and that's saying to me that you know, these folks are under a lot of stress, and consistent with the with the observation that retailers that are carrying to the folks in the bottom middle parts of the distribution have got a tougher time than the folks that are carrying to the top part of the distribution.
Speaker 2: And actually, just to your point on the tax refunds, with a few weeks into the Iran crisis, the US Economics team had of telling the analysis which showed that even by that point, all the benefit of those refunds was going to be completely offset by the impact on incomes of those high higher gas prices, and we've obviously seen that continue even longer than we originally expected. Andrew, that's the piece of this that we think is most relevant on the K shaped aspect. If you're thinking about those assets that people have, the real difference between one side, you know, whether it's K or whether it's E. You know, the difference between the higher end in this kind of environment and the lower end is the higher end, you know, they're hit by higher gas prices, they don't necessarily have to reduce their consumption. They have things to fall back on, whereas it's going to have a much bigger impact on those in the lower part of the distribution.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and then with the they have ten percent more EXTI, they have stocks in their portfolio than they did six months ago.
Speaker 2: In terms of the sort of macroeconomic impact, how does that feed into when we're thinking about the forecast for the next year or so, Given this hit, but different parts of the economy reacting differently, does that make it harder for us to forecast the economy or is it something we just have to look through.
Speaker 3: I think the volatility in stocks and acid prices obviously makes the forecast more difficult. But at the same time, people very much smooth and damp their responses to sudden moves. It's, you know, just part of the game what they we always have to deal with, Mark.
Speaker 2: I know you write quite a lot about Kevin Walsh and how he's you know, the kind of FED that he may lead and the policy that's appropriate for him. Does any of this change the way the FED should think about the economy and think about whether or not the macro data it's looking at is an appropriate thing to focus on when it comes to policy.
Speaker 1: Not first order, right, I mean first order, what's going on with the economy, But what is the mandate? The dual mandate? You know, am I full employment or how close am I? And what about inflation and inflation expectations all this other stuff we've been talking about. Obviously they're critical to both those mandates, but you know they're more second third order kind of things. First order, you know. There it's all very confusing with regard to what should be done here. I mean, the economy is soft in my humble opinion, job growth is very weak, even despite the slow labor force growth because of immigration policy. Demand for is even weaker because unemployment's drifting higher and participation is drifting lower. That would argue for obviously rate cuts all OUSEQL. But of course now we've got inflation and inflation expectations which are getting to a place where we should pay attention. They're high by any historical standard, and they feel like they're going to break out to the upside here pretty soon, and that argues for obviously rate increases. But so the net of all that is, you know, sit on your hand. You don't know what to do until things kind of clear. But all these other you know, things that we've been talking about obviously are very important to understanding you know what that means for the growth in inflation mandates, but they're more second third order, I think at this point.
Speaker 2: So Mark, I just wanted to sort of get a sort of final takeaway where we started, really whether we should consider this recovery and this economy to be unusually vulnerable or lopsided, not from an equity standpoint, inequality standpoint, but also in terms of its potential for suddenly reversing. If you're sitting at the FED, or even if you're just working in a big company, should you feel that this is a sort of unusually insecure recovery, should put it that way in terms of how many legs it has and what parts of the economy are growing.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, I'm searching for the right word, but you know, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure it'll be buzzy when you come up with it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, tenure is precarious, vulnerable, fragile. I've used all those words. None of them feel exactly right, So we got to come up with another one. You're right, we got to come up with another buzzphrase. But yeah, it feels like we're growing two percent ish, maybe a little bit below at that point. This is below the economy's potential. That means unemployment is rising and labor force participation is falling. With some combination of the two. That's just a very uncomfortable place to be, particularly in the context of much of the growth is being driven by one sector of the economy and one group of America and the households, and that's just not, you know, a comfortable place. And it's a very very come back to the word, it feels very tenuous and precarious to make.
Speaker 2: Also that it's incredible. I mean, that's not a bad word, but it's just that people don't believe in it. I mean when you look at these numbers, and even the people that are doing well, except I feel I guess right at the top, will still feel that they're being strained by various things. You've been in this business for a long time. Do you feel that the consumer sentiment numbers are just no longer reliably connected to the data?
Speaker 1: Well, depends on what survey you look at. The University of Michigan is clearly over because that's at a record low, all time low, and that's been around since the fifties. It feels like it's overstating the case, but it's making a case, and the other sentiment surveys are making similar cases. There's a lot of discomfort out there, but people are very nervous about their financial situation, and certainly if you're in the bottom two thirds of the distribution of income or wealth, you've got reason to be nervous and upset about the way things are going. And I think that's reflected in the survey numbers. But you're right there are survey numbers have become more disconnected from the actual spending that's been occurring, at least up until this point in time. I still think there's a message there, you know, it's still there's information there that we should we shouldn't discount.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we're going to keep looking at the information. And I do actually think this earning season, we're getting all the numbers in and we can take another look at whether or not there is a real a K shape narrative for the earnings that companies have had because they tend to talk about K shaped in their earnings calls, but it isn't always born out by their actual earning sombers but Andrew Second and Mark Sandy, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Thank you. It is a blual pleasure.
Speaker 4: Thank you thanks.
Speaker 2: For listening to trump Nomics from Bloomberg. It was hosted by me Stephanie Flanders. I was joined by Moody's and A six chief economist Mark Sandy and by Bloomberg US economist Andrew Sakker. Trumponomics was produced by Samasadi and Moses And with help from Amy Keen, and sound design was by Blake Naples and Kelly Gary To help others find us. Please rate and review us highly Wherever you listen