Speaker 1: Woody Who. A little show update from Stradio Lab headquarters is that this Saturday, October nineteenth, Sam and I have dueling shows coast to coast. So if you are in Los Angeles, get your tickets to Sam Taggart and Friends at Dynasty Typewriter featuring Chris Fleming, Sophie Buttle, Joel Kimbooster, and Rachel Colli. And if you're in New York, get your tickets for George Severis and Friends at Union Hall featuring Max Witter, Britney Carney, Just Tom, and Michael Aber. And both of those shows again are this Saturday, October nineteenth. And next month you can see me at Joe's Pub as part of the New York Comedy Festival, which is so exciting and it's always been my dream to perform there not to be a Bitch, And that is November fourteenth and November twenty fifth. In the first show I think is either sold out or selling out very fast, so I get those tickets in November twenty fifth, and all ticket links are in our various Instagram bios And we can't wait to see you, whether you're in Los Angeles for in New York, and we promised the Toronto show link is coming, but the show exists and it's happening in November. Okay, I love you, enjoy the episode. Hi everybody, how's everyone doing? Wow? Hello? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Well you know, before we begin, I do have to say I see some empty seats and I see some standing people. So, honey, something is nodding on. So I would like to invite. I would like to officially invite. Endorsed by Chase Bank, I would like to officially invite everyone to fill these seats, and I refuse to perform until that happens.
Speaker 2: WHOA that is radical? Oh yeah, taking a seat radical if activism.
Speaker 1: It's national coming out. If you're not seated, you're not paying attention. All right. I mean I have to say, still, see three seats in the front.
Speaker 2: And roughly two hundred people standing up.
Speaker 1: This is crazy? Is this a sweat tour? Okay? Well, oh my god, look at that.
Speaker 2: Look at that.
Speaker 1: People. You know, in non branded spaces, no one pays attention, No one listens to me when I speak, but here they're like what we have to say?
Speaker 2: No, the way that you are at home in a branded space is scale. My god.
Speaker 1: I feel more relaxed than I have in years. I am meant to be in a comfortable chair in front of two brands. Okay, speaking of which, thank you to Chase Freedom for sponsoring our radio lab event tonight. And we are very excited to spend National Coming Out Day with all of you at the Stonewall National Monument Visitor Center and Stonewall Inn and celebrate your freedom to be. I was actually thinking my first time at Stonewall was get this at the kickoff event for Cynthia nixon scubernatorial campaign. And I was with my friend who was at the time a tour guide at the Sex and the City tour bus. That was her job, and we were like, this is big.
Speaker 2: I mean I remember that whole campaign and that was like, am I in a bubble? Or is she really going to win this?
Speaker 1: I guess what it was the former I was in a bubble big time. But it's okay, it's okay. One we would never have gotten in just like that, which I think is overall better for progressive politics.
Speaker 2: I can't think of a less true statement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: You know, what are you gonna do for me? A Stonewall I've actually never been inside of it. Wow, isn't that crazy? Huh Yeah, I've never been inside I once. This is shameful though, but it's coming out day, so I'm gonna say it. I walked by it with my college improp group.
Speaker 1: And this was a long time ago. To Samwich Troby, like what.
Speaker 2: The what the hell's the like? Who would even go in there? The hell? Yeah? Yeah, I was semi closet in an impro group. Oh yeah, they knew I was gay, but I was like, but I'm not really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can never be fully out while doing improp comedy.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, because you're always you could jump into character anytime.
Speaker 1: That's right. It's really scary. Actually, you know this is Tradio Lab. I want to hear and don't be shy. Clap if you know what the podcast is if you listen to okay, yeah, okay, okay, cool, oh okay, passionate listeners, Yeah, JU wantix maybe explain what it is what we study here, we're gonna keep We're gonna silence for quel for as long as possible. I really walked right into that one.
Speaker 2: So Stradia Lab is a podcast in which we explore the beautiful rich tapestry. That is straight culture, straight culture?
Speaker 1: What would you say straight culture? You know, of course there's the obvious thing sports, no show, socks.
Speaker 2: Overhead lighting, boat shoes, math. I came a cruise is unless you know it's the roseodonal cruz, And I guess I want to share one that I came across recently, something from straight culture that I did to myself traditional form of shaving, the cream and then the shave.
Speaker 1: Sam had never shaved traditionally. Traditionally, he had only ever used an electric razor, non traditional queer shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a point. I was very when I first got like a little like eighth grade boy mustache. I was like, well, this doesn't work. I'm a little boy. I was like, this doesn't fit my boyish charm, right, that's right. And so I was sort of like, well, maybe no one will notice. Unfortunately, people do start to notice, and my dad was like, I was like, what do I do? And he was like, well, we'll figure out the real shaving later, but for now, just use this electric shaver cut too. Roughly four hundred years later, I'm still using the electric razor and I've never learned to shave, and so now I'm living in LA and I came to New York and I had forgotten my electric razor and I had to learn quick.
Speaker 1: In your I want to say early twenties hmm, yeah, basically there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's never too late to learn, even if you're twenty one or twenty two.
Speaker 1: I do want to you know, I actually kind of want to bring Raquel and because she made a point about shaving that I think is very interesting. Please without missing a me, Raquel was like, well, yeah, shaving is straight, laser is queer. Yeah, thought yeah everybody.
Speaker 3: Hi everyone, No, yeah, I was saying that this might be TMI, and my community was gonna be like, girl, are you giving away the secret?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, but I had to, you know, get a little touched up on the laser. And I was like, you know, when I first started this, like twelve or so years ago, like I felt very like out of my element. But I'm like, I got this down now, Like, laser is mine. So as a trans woman, I am claiming laser soorry. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well and George you actually had some proof well as well. Yeah, I mean I of course, so my family lives in Greece. I partly grew up there and it laser is I would say, part of the religion. I think it's Greek Orthodoxy in Greece, and so you know, sometimes you're blessed by the priest or the archbishop, and I it's much cheaper there. It's literally like maybe a tenth of the price here. So I only do laser hair removal on various parts of my body when I go back home. And famously, the place I go to overlooks the Parthenon. So it is a true honor to sort of disrobe and have a woman that hates me come in and hurt me physically while I look at just like the legacy of my people, the window that is so so very queer.
Speaker 2: You know, No, it's very queer. I mean. The thing with putting shaving cream on your face is like I was suddenly like, oh, I looked like like a TV commercial father. Yeah, but of course unfortunately that's a little bit erotic, and so there was something about that I was like, maybe I'll do this forever. Yeah, we complicated.
Speaker 1: We had another straight experience. We witnessed something that we wanted to talk about.
Speaker 2: We witness something that we want to talk about. It's a little haunting and.
Speaker 3: I we love it. Yeah, that's however, you know, we love a them.
Speaker 1: It's is there anything scary? I mean, spooky season is here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's actually coming out day in the middle of spooky seas. That's right, you guys connect the dots. We were around a straight We had a straight guest on our podcast because we're radical.
Speaker 1: Hold your a pause.
Speaker 2: We had a straight guest mail straight man yest yikes, non.
Speaker 1: Caucasian American straight mail. Well he's Greek, that's true.
Speaker 2: And he didn't know anyone, you know, any of the audio technicians that weren't helping us that day, he did not know them. And but one guy just exclaimed one thing about sports. He was like, oh, I can't believe blah blah blah was traded to blah blah blah. Without missing a beat, he jumps in. The other guy jumps in. He's like, oh my god, we're Travis.
Speaker 1: The conversation. They have not introduced one another, they don't know each other's names.
Speaker 2: And we were like, it's the straight version of cruising.
Speaker 1: That is straight cruising is saying a sports fact. And then I was like, right.
Speaker 2: Well, it was so deeply intimate and yet anonymous, and it was like, you don't know your names, you don't know where each other lives. Yeah, Like I was like, you guys are being nasty right now.
Speaker 1: By the way, It's like our version, I guess, would be like did you hear the remix album?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, and we already know that. I can tell with just the look what the album you're talking about. The standems are basically like sports team that's you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well in that case, do you think we should celebrate them celebrating sports?
Speaker 3: There's a certain standum that I cannot co sign any kind of celebration. But I won't say that out loud. It's political.
Speaker 1: Oh no, we're not talking about that. No, we're talking sports and family values exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, it's treat that's right.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then I think that was.
Speaker 2: It for our straight culture catchup.
Speaker 1: Oh no, but you had you had a straight thing that you just told us before we came on stage. Yeah, but it's actually a good one. It's a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't remember it. But laundry, Oh, laundry I was trying to for yeah, yeah, because I hate laundry.
Speaker 1: Raquel thought for a long time like what's my street topic. What's my street topic? And she was like, is laundry straight?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, it's a prising, what is queer?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So I have a whole situation where I have to go to a laundromat and I'm lucky because my laundromat is like right around the corner from me. But it still feels like a treck yes, you know. And so I'm like, I know exactly what the ancestors felt like on the night of the Stonewall riots popping off. You know, it's just but when I go, like I have to deal with the whole shablam, it's like cat calling. It's like the older like uncle dude at the door who's like flirting and I hope he doesn't listen to this because like he hooks me up when I leave my dechargent at home. But it's just it's a whole ricamarole. And then we were talking about like is an end unit situation straighter or queerer? And I think we said it was straighter.
Speaker 2: To me, that is essential. It's like individualism. It's so straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like a londromat. Yes it's straight, but at the very least you are going to the watering hole with your You're like one of the animals going to the lake to you know, get your little piece of slop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that there's.
Speaker 1: Something communal about that. You know, you're living in chosen family. Yeah, I mean my laundromat is my chosen family in a very big way.
Speaker 3: I mean in two hours.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, exactly. And it doesn't mean you like all of them. Might mean you're afraid of most of them. Yeah, but they're still your family. God damn it.
Speaker 2: One of the straighter things about Launchry to me is when people overwash their clothes. Yes, Like when people are like, no, there can't be there can't be any sign that I ever wore this.
Speaker 1: I'm like, it's fine, Like calm down, yeah, stop being ashamed. Yeah, like you live a beautiful rat. Stop coming out day for crying out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have some ketchup on your pa.
Speaker 1: Stop washing her clothes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We also said that dry cleaning was especially clear.
Speaker 1: I think, I mean the drama of it, like and then they put it they like take your clothes and make them youw and put them in a little outfit. I've never thought about it as a little alum, you know, what I mean, and they each have an individual little like you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, and I'm still especially important when I have like the like the really like good laundry bags, right, like the ones with the like canegar and but it's like cloth or something, not the plastic ones that that's no, that's straight please killing the environment.
Speaker 1: As a Chase Freedom member, I would never but yes, no, I think I think there's something about dry cleaning where it's like the platonic ideal of an errand and you're like, finally I am Carrie Bradshaw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well ring also like I have no idea what happens once it's taken back there. No one knows, and that little sense of mystery is like, yeah, that's perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do they do? Someone comes and arrests us?
Speaker 2: The secret No one's allowed to know what they do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Should we talk about coming out?
Speaker 2: Well, it is national coming out there, it's.
Speaker 1: National coming out, Dave. So here is positive, Here is positive. I have to say I think too many people have come out and actually being positive. I think being there's something so radical about being closet. It's like believe something to the imagination.
Speaker 2: George, you can't say that here.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding, we're actually announcing that we're both going back in the closet after this event.
Speaker 3: I'm jealous. Yeah, this has gotten old.
Speaker 2: It's so.
Speaker 1: But Raquel was telling us something very interesting and very stradio lab which is well, i'll let you say it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, okay, So we know kind of like the boiler plate kind of like language of like for transpholts. Right, it's like we have multiple coming out I came out as gay at like fourteen. To my mom. It was like raining and you know it.
Speaker 1: Started raining right when you came out, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I wasn't a movie a lightning strike, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, light hands, just lightning and there was a flood.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No. It was the most unintelligent thing I've ever done, because like afterwards, I was like, she could have swerved. It could have been a whole thing, you know, and she would have had possible deniability. But that was a little dark.
Speaker 2: So you came out in the car.
Speaker 3: I came out in the.
Speaker 1: Car, wow, Charlie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And she was like, well, this will just be something we have to work through. And of course now you know, she's loved every phase of my life. The drag performances when I was in college, the coming out as trans. Believe it or not. She loved that coming out more than the first one. That one made more sense. But the thing is is, I've come out of so many things by this point that I feel like I'm straight.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I was like, that is that is actually what horseshoe theory is. It's like you come out so much that then you are fully You're like in the boardroom, yeah, being like you're fired for being gay.
Speaker 3: Like and I've done it too many times. There's nothing left to like shock my family with anymore.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, you said that she preferred when you came out as trans. How did she express that?
Speaker 3: Well, she was like she was like, this makes a lot more sense. And I didn't know if that was like a compliment like bir you got it, that essence is there, or if it was like yeah, I don't know, yeah, right.
Speaker 1: It does seem a little offensive to be like, oh, I knew you were lying before. There was always something off with my daughter.
Speaker 3: Yeah basically yeah, but it's been fun. You know, she's she's good, and my mom has come out as an ally.
Speaker 1: Well there you go.
Speaker 3: Over the years, I grew up very Catholic, by the way, so like I heard the moans. I heard a few moans. I'm used to that, but but it's been a journey. And she's like now she's like on the p flag national work, Like my mom is like, if y'all watch, this is a throwback, like this is aging me. But if you watch where as Folk right and the mom that was like super farming of Michael And I was like, Oh, wouldn't that be great? That's literally my mom. She's like that of farming.
Speaker 2: That's very sweet.
Speaker 1: Didn't your mom today send you a video of about gay tourism in Michigan or something.
Speaker 2: Yes, my mom is also too accepted. She is really pushing me back in the closet. She today. She she always whenever I go home, she lives in like they live in a small town in Michigan, and she's always like, I saw two guys holding hands and I'm like, okay, So she's like, so feel free to do whatever.
Speaker 3: It's like, if you're not holding somebody's hand, are you failing?
Speaker 2: Literally yeah? And then she'll also be like she'll love to be like and I saw her guy in Espeedo at the Beach. Things are really changing around here in Southwest Mission.
Speaker 1: My grandma was like, she saw some speech that the Greek Orthodox archbishop made that was homophobic and sebay and she was like, why don't they like gay people? I thought they were. I'm like, right, that's sort of the whole thing. But that's like what we've been talking about for generations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, today my mom took it to a new level. She sent me a video that's like, uh, like queer influencer going to my mom's town. That was like, Southwest Michigan is the best queer vacation. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She was like, I wish my son made queer influencer videos about our town.
Speaker 2: I was literally like, no, it's not like there's no way on her Southwest Michigan is the best queer vacation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless unless should we go.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: There's a buss outside going on. We're going to the Chase Freedom Cruise to Central to Southwest Michigan.
Speaker 2: It's almost Michigan.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, imagine this event, but just in southwest Michigan. I would be living.
Speaker 3: Now. That's radical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is radical. We all get on the jet.
Speaker 3: I mean, Sowall is like on the note.
Speaker 1: I know, it's like, yeah, we get it here, like no one's being convinced to come out at this event and south of especially and there would be people being like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gay and it would be my dad that.
Speaker 1: Actually shaving cream all over. Did we want to talk about our coming out? Well, that's it's like, so you've come out so many times.
Speaker 2: That you feel that your housetight.
Speaker 1: I mean that's iconic.
Speaker 3: But why did you have me go first about like coming out?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: God, well you know you're the guest. Wow. Yeah, ladies Chris, Yeah, well now yeah, I know ours are less exciting. Yeah, I will say I came. I was literally about to board a flight, a transatlantic flight, and decided to come out seconds before leaving for the airport. So I was just sort of like I'm gay and then just literally like got on a plane and left the country, which I do think is kind of a dramatic thing to do.
Speaker 2: No, that's very gay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, and this was before Wi Fi on plane, so it's like you can't reach me sit with this. Did you allow any Q and a portion Like we were in a hurry to get to the airport, you know what I mean? Wow, there was maybe five minutes. How did you come out?
Speaker 2: Oh? Mine was We've never talked about it. Mine was so so passive aggressive.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well, very gay, very very gay, and very do you identify as a wasp.
Speaker 2: You keep trying to put me in a walk.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're not and I have maybe like twenty five percent Okay, I so, okay. I wrote a very salacious journal the year I was very aware that the year that I was twenty one, I was living in Chicago, and I can say in Stonewall, I was expressing my sexuality. Wow, the light's up right when you say something like that. I was expressing my sexuality. And I was writing in this journal every single thing that I was doing, and really editorializing and having a lot of fun because you know, it was my journal and it was for me. And then of course my parents come to move me out of college and they find the journal. Wow, sort of tales oldt time. Maybe don't document everything that you're keeping a secret. So then I was like.
Speaker 3: Hey, I didn't read it, obviously.
Speaker 2: God, that's kind of what I thought. So then they read the journal. My mom cries, reads the journal is like, well, this is a nightmare. Journal goes in the garbage, and I was like, well that was my book. Wow, Journal was in the garbage. And then like the next year, we're playing this game where we're like.
Speaker 1: Like, but's in the garbage, but doesn't address it.
Speaker 2: With you No, ohait, sorry, but that's Baker no, like not being the lot allegations, And so then for the next year it would be like, well, like she would say like, well, are you dating anyone? And I would say like, no, Mom, I'm not. And it was this thing where we go back and forth and she'd be like, well, how's that one girl? And I was like I don't know, mom, how is she? And we'd sort of like do this back and forth.
Speaker 1: We were being like really gay.
Speaker 2: We were being we were like being in Ryan Murray's feud y, like we were being so insane towards each other, and like because I was just like, well you read the journal, you tell me I'm gay, and which neither of us were? You know, is in vulnerable time.
Speaker 1: Take notes. This is how you should do it. Any parents out there, if your kid comes out, make sure to not address it for approximately one calendar year.
Speaker 2: Let them sit with it, and then it became very amicable and it was fun for sure. And then you know, then she got into the southwest, Michigan is such an amazing place for gay.
Speaker 1: Right, started following queer influencers. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Tyler Oakley.
Speaker 2: But the cinematic part was like sort of sitting around the dinner table, you know, and then my mom being like, well, cheers to that, and it was like, okay, well that's clean exit.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, sure, Well all the traumas one.
Speaker 2: Literally pretty erased pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're the two only psychologically well gay people.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we've been tested and they said correct. Yeah, so mine was messy. Okay, is that fun? That's fun?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: We were thinking, like, you know, we traditionally we talked about straight culture on this podcast, and so we were like, how can we twist coming out to be a straight topic? What did and do you think coming out could be straight?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely? Like I think the most radical thing is when people come out as ally that's right. Yeah, Like it is so hard for people who support yes, clear people it's very true to be open about it because they might be ostracized. Yes, they're owned by their families.
Speaker 1: Especially when they're a famous celebrity exactly.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's funny though, because like coming out as is like a queer thing obviously, like we hold it. But it's like you can come out as like a whole bunch of things.
Speaker 2: That's true, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could come out as like, you know, someone who loves doritos. I don't know why they're not.
Speaker 1: This is the part, like, you know what, I think, speaking of the sports thing, I feel like a coming out, a straight coming out is like being in a city where they don't support your own your team, and then being and then like unbuttoning your shirt and you have a Red Sox T shirt under it or like like at the big game. I feel like that's a straight version of coming out.
Speaker 2: No totally. I mean there are like straight subcultures that it does feel like sometimes they're like sometimes I feel for them because they don't have the ritual of coming out. It's like if you're rockabilly, well, imagine being rockabilly in today's climate.
Speaker 1: I mean you're ostracized more than queer beer.
Speaker 2: I think I fel this way about gamers.
Speaker 1: Game that's right, gamers have to come out, what other kind of straight people have to come out.
Speaker 2: And they never stopped coming out.
Speaker 3: Often unsolicited, they successfully appropriated that appropriated.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure, that is really true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, well should we do we we were sort of thinking, do you think we can do I think we should do it. We're trying to think of a good segment for National coming Out and we were like, okay, like, there are so many different ways you can come out and there's no right way. You can quote me on that, and so we were thinking of all the different ways people we know have come out and whether they are gay or straight. So we're gonna give Raquel a series of sort of ways that you can come out and then we can all chat through whether they are gay or straight. Are you ready love it?
Speaker 3: Let's do it?
Speaker 1: Okay, Raquel.
Speaker 3: Gay?
Speaker 1: Okay? Coming out via a heartfelt conversation with your accepting progressive mom.
Speaker 3: That's oh. I guess it depends on the era. I felt like that's straight yet struggle can you Yeah, you're day and not struggle a bit.
Speaker 2: It's very Disney movie exactly. It's it's to be consumed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, we need there's no narrative there. You have to overcome something, right.
Speaker 3: Okay, maybe let's make it up.
Speaker 2: No, that's true, Okay, okay, okay, here's another one, coming out via a heart warring but emotionally stunted conversation with your progressive dad.
Speaker 3: Okay, now, yes, that's like right on the nosegay. That might be the gayest thing you can do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: To have to talk about sexuality with your father in any way, even if you're straight, yeah, can be traumatizing.
Speaker 2: One of the darker relationships in my mind is when a dad really want to talk to their son about sex.
Speaker 1: When my dad told me after I came out to my dad, he decided that the best thing to do would be to watch a bunch of queer movies. But he was not looking. He was just googling gay movies and he was not like looking into whether they were like critically acclaimed or you know whatever. And so he watched that movie weekend. Oh sure includes I don't know if we're allowed to say this in the Chase Bunster event, but it includes bodily fluids Out and Proud a national coming out Day. And then he goes, that was one of the better movies I've seen on the subject.
Speaker 3: And that was how your father came out.
Speaker 1: Talk about Okay, I was like very sophisticate, very Sundance film festival of you to be like, well, I have to watch a critically acclaimed mumblecore film about two gay guys in London.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, well that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well anyway, well anyway, okay, Raquel here, Okay, coming out at a school assembly.
Speaker 3: I mean that feels gay, but very like mid two thousands gay, you know, to.
Speaker 1: Want an audience is gay? Yeah, I actually think it's so much more, you know, I think it's so much more going to come out to a crowd than to an individual person because you're avoiding the vulnerability.
Speaker 2: You're immediately saying like this is a performance. I am a performer. Life is a cabarette.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and you just like strut down, you know those like tables that are jointed together, and you're like kicking off people's and the milk is flying on your bully and everything is okay.
Speaker 2: Everything is okay. I mean, to be in high school and sort of think you need to give a press conference is one of the gayer mindsets one can happen.
Speaker 3: But there's a there's a side quest here Okay. This made me think of, like, I don't know, I am this fictionalized moment where like the lunch lady is like clapping, she's happy for you. But then I think about, like how gay it us to have that like one teacher like staff member that like everyone knows it's queer, but like they can't be out. And then you like hear everything that your peers say and you're like, oh, okay, this is how you would react if I said something. Yeah, and it could be good or not.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly internal turmoil is queer, yeah, and external turmoil is straight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'm sticking by that.
Speaker 3: And shout out to my gay you know, I don't want to, but but she is queer and we know it because of Facebook, because there was a point where we all like friended our former teachers for whatever reason on Facebook. But when I came out and I got really bullied. She was the teacher that was known as like giving like the red slips to everyone just for like any little infraction, like it could have been a dress code violation. It was always a dress covidvie elation. She never gave me anymore after I came out, Like I felt so held by her not saying anything about her identity, but just not giving me a red that's really nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should have taken advantage of it and shown up dressed like, you know, the chiquita banana.
Speaker 2: It's like you.
Speaker 1: Should have turned to literally like turned like Gaga looks every day. You're like, what are you gonna do? I'm queer?
Speaker 3: And that was prime Gaga time.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: Okay. The next one is coming out when you have approximately one beer at the after party for the high school musical where you were just doing tech by the way, and you decide this is the perfect time to tell everyone.
Speaker 3: It's gay because it's so long of a prom.
Speaker 1: You know, and I would say specifically lesbian.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah, well the beer, well, I mean what about the tech?
Speaker 1: Okay, coming out via a notes app screenshot to your Instagram grid that is titled my truth.
Speaker 3: They're not really gay. I can't. I can't give them that text app.
Speaker 1: No notes app text, You need visuals.
Speaker 2: You need a video show.
Speaker 3: Now, like no queer is going to give that up?
Speaker 1: Okay, Raquel is commenting, No, you're not.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Okay. The next one is on a podcast interview.
Speaker 3: Depends on the podcast exactly.
Speaker 1: This could go either way.
Speaker 2: What would what would make it gayer, what would make it straighter?
Speaker 3: Coming out on Stradio Lab, They're like, maybe we've inspired some people.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think all these closes people are about to come out.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about coming out on the cover of Time magazine with the headline Yep, I'm gay.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have to give credit where credit is.
Speaker 1: I think without her there would be no notes, that right.
Speaker 3: And we're just gonna say without her, we're not going to say any names. No, but yes, I mean yes, like that, Yes, that was iconic.
Speaker 1: She gets a shovel for that.
Speaker 3: Did they know about the listeners either going to know about the shovel?
Speaker 1: Well, I assume the shovel symbolized people that have contributed to this space. But what's really amazing is that there's sort of well. Sam made the point that Donna telever side, she next to AARP, feels pointed.
Speaker 2: It feels like a read.
Speaker 1: And then there is definitely a whole road that's all brands except for Christina Aguilera. Yeah, but I'm like, imagine how powerful Christina eguire is that she's literally competing with Amazon in booking dot Com. She's like booking dot com, Honey, I'll show you who's both. I'm so happy I stuck that landing.
Speaker 2: Okay, coming out via an it Gets Better video.
Speaker 3: Vintage Okay, coming out through very explicit lyrics and a song you wrote for a major label. No, that's gotta be coded for a while. Yes, that's the gay struggle for the Superstar.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's almost like that's the notes app version of a song, like leave a little something, write my truth and nothing else.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay. By clapping back at the haters on Instagram live.
Speaker 3: And they're saying like what, like, yeah, you're right, I'm gay.
Speaker 2: They're like, I am gay.
Speaker 3: I like it. I like it.
Speaker 1: I think being confrontational when possible is the correct way to go.
Speaker 2: I mean that's sort of how I did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, that's very you coded, like it's.
Speaker 3: Queerer through live because it could be temporary exactly, but like you're going to choose not to make it temporary, and you're gonna post.
Speaker 1: This exactly, and I feel like my truth notes up. It's like I'm commenting coward. Go on live, Yeah, go on live, and then I want to see your face.
Speaker 3: We want to see the anguish all of it, exactly okay.
Speaker 1: Coming out by saying you don't believe in labels after paparazzi photos were leaked.
Speaker 3: That's kind of gay. That's kind of gay. You know you got a gas a little bit, like that's reparations for us.
Speaker 2: Gas like gatekeep girlbost exactly okay, okay. By being very publicly friends with another gay celebrity and hoping people catch on.
Speaker 1: Like a that Charles, that's not Charles. What's his name? James?
Speaker 2: Charles?
Speaker 1: Who am I talking about? Wait?
Speaker 2: You mean he's the one that they would be friends with?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I love that You're like make up.
Speaker 1: Wait but from no, no, I'm saying if you were friends, you were friends, like if you were not out but you started hanging out with.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, maybe you're like maybe a f F Wait say it again?
Speaker 2: Wait I lost I lost the Okay. So it's like, you come out by being very publicly friends with a gay celebrity and just like not addressing any rumors.
Speaker 3: I kind of like, I kind of like, uh, okay, okay, but then it would be funny if you came out astray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. Coming out by winning an Academy Award and thinking your partner, your rock Judith.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's gay.
Speaker 1: Thanking Judith by name. It's brave, you're on a stage.
Speaker 2: It's cinematic.
Speaker 1: It's cinematic. Well you won for cinematography. Okay, that deserves a little more.
Speaker 2: Okay, And this one's appropriate. By using a gay slur on Watch What Happens Live and being like I can say that I'm gay.
Speaker 3: That fills a little straight somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that is straight.
Speaker 3: And you got to get them off your back, right, you're gonna get canceled, and then you have to figure out how to get uncanceled.
Speaker 2: Apparently it's self preservation. Yeah, wow, a lot. I think we've learned a lot.
Speaker 1: Should we do our final segment? Yeah, we have a segment that we do at all our live shows, and we thought it would be especially fun to do with Raquel and I cannot wait to tell the story in this room. So this is a segment called issue There Yet. And it started because a friend of ours, her name is Celeste. They were at the Toronto Film Festival and they were there for the premiere of the Grace Jones documentary and so at this talkback, the director was like, you know, we just there's no icons like Grace Jones anymore. There's no icons like that anymore. And someone in the audience said, what about Janelle Maney And then the director said, she's not there yet? Now I am. I will not be commenting on that, and neither will Sam and we never will and we never will. But from that story, this game was born. By the way, yes, and we are on and Raquel is on record as saying she is there yet?
Speaker 2: Correct? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So from that story we created this game called Issue There Yet. We're basically going to give Raquel a series of celebrities, people, places, things, concepts, and we'll all chat about Issue there Yet.
Speaker 2: And we've decided to do New.
Speaker 1: York and they're in New York and yes it's New York icons. So it's all New York themed tonight in honor of Stonewall.
Speaker 3: I won't be able to get home if I say the wrong answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, recalled the first one, SA Parker, is she there yet?
Speaker 3: She's there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's there, thank you. Oh my god, I was I was scared. I was like, she could be in here. This is exactly the kind of.
Speaker 3: Eventual She's right outside.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: The opening of the a Coming Out Day event at the Stonewall Visitor Center. Sarah Parker's like handing out finger food. Okay, jay Z, y'all are evil?
Speaker 2: Is she there yet?
Speaker 3: She's there?
Speaker 1: She's there, I think, jay Z.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I live in Brooklyn, Hunty, so again, I gotta get home?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think. And I think jay Z would also be an event like this because famously he has a lesbian mother.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well not all of us can say that, but.
Speaker 2: But jay Z can. Okay, the Statue of Liberty.
Speaker 1: Is she there yet?
Speaker 2: Is she there yet?
Speaker 3: Is she there? I like her? She's there, She's there. She means a lot to a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Girl, Yeah, just girl.
Speaker 3: Love a selfie near her?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, timeless gown yeah, teal colored.
Speaker 2: The tiaras a lot. But she's having fun.
Speaker 1: She's she's holding a book but not reading.
Speaker 3: Very gay there, it's upside down.
Speaker 1: She's like instagramming it with a little thing of coffee.
Speaker 3: Okay, Patty, she's and she's there again, Honey. I'm loving Agatha all the way. Yes, yeah, Witches are there too.
Speaker 1: Witches are there? You know? I read that it's goth girl fall in some failing publication.
Speaker 3: I feel bad about the autumn. She's like the autumn girl bottomn ball girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh that's right. It is a direct attack on her.
Speaker 3: I was too traumatized.
Speaker 1: It's like Christian right, right, right, for sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, Pizza Rat, is she there yet?
Speaker 3: She's not there? I don't think I'm not going to give it.
Speaker 1: She had one single, yeah right, Pizza Rat was giving industry plan to me. I'm like, there is no way all of you find this so funny. It's not that funny.
Speaker 2: It's like a pizza Yeah. That may be mad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if it was, you know, like if we knew what kind of it was giving, maybe maybe that's right.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, this is a classic New York figure, a French influencer taking a selfie on a rooftop bar in Williamsburg.
Speaker 2: Is she there yet?
Speaker 3: She's not.
Speaker 2: She's not, She's not.
Speaker 3: She was in Bushwick.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's true.
Speaker 2: And maybe if she was at a mead bar that would be amazing. Yeah, you guys don't know about mead bars. Okay, midtown crowd, okay, sex and the city. Is she there yet?
Speaker 3: She's there? But I'm traumatized by her. But she's there.
Speaker 2: She that's like why she's there, like the way that she can cause trauma, and like how I keep going back. That's someone who's there.
Speaker 1: But yes, I want to ask a follow up question, which is, can you please ring from Gata straight the Four Women of Sex and the City.
Speaker 3: Oh from Gaeta strait. Oh, well, Miranda's gayest for sure? Okay, that should I never understood what was going on there, I want to say. I want to say Charlotte a second, like there's something about like prim and proper but like secretly very clear. Wow, Samantha of course, but I know I think Samantha's on her own right.
Speaker 1: Like Samantha is a gay guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so like it's it's understood.
Speaker 1: So and then carries the most carefus fully straight personal that's why shes finger food. That's right, she's such an ally that she doesn't actually know what gay is.
Speaker 2: Okay. Next one, ellis Island.
Speaker 1: Is she there yet?
Speaker 2: Is she there yet?
Speaker 3: Given the climate? She's there?
Speaker 1: That's right, she needs all the help she can gets important to take in the context, Yes, thank you, you are doing a great job of living in the context.
Speaker 2: No one has been hit with a coconut.
Speaker 1: Here okay, Oh this is a classic New York figure, a very buzzy, up and coming visual artist who is secretly the daughter of an arms dealer.
Speaker 2: Is she there yet? Who said we can't be at you? What look?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But I know what, I know what the culture love, So she's there.
Speaker 1: She's there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: People follow her on Instagram and they're like, I know, but but she's fun.
Speaker 2: She goes live every week. Okay, the Empire, Empire State Building. Is she there yet?
Speaker 3: I felt like she fell off. She was there, but something happened.
Speaker 1: You know what's not a thing anymore is when it's different colors. That's not that used to be exciting. It used to be like it's not novel. It's like now they're doing it for like holidays no one even knows about. They're like it's neopalkan colors for National ice Cream Day, or like, no it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like green for National Olive Oil Day. And why do we have olive oil Day?
Speaker 1: Break phobic? I think let's just do okay, Oh, this is my favorite one. One do you want to just end on?
Speaker 2: Oh? Do you do the last one? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay? Is she there yet the ball that drops on New Years? Okay, is she there yet? Okay?
Speaker 3: Wait can I make a caveat yes? Oh wait, this is only in New York because like in Georgia they drop a peach.
Speaker 1: Well that she's there.
Speaker 3: Amazing, that's there. And I'm from Georgia famously, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh okay. So would you say, though, between peach and ball, which one's gay or which one straighter? I think the peach is it's more relevant, you know. Like Also, by the way, New York is the big Apple. Make it an Apple at least the Charlie Apple remix playing at the dam No one has imagination anymore.
Speaker 2: They have new creative directors in this damn town.
Speaker 1: We need Hoda and Jenna doing the Apple bands while the Apple is dropping on New Years.
Speaker 3: Justice for Hodah?
Speaker 1: Yeah who was there? And actually that's on Hoda issue there yet? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: And that's give it up for a cow Wells Everybody podcast and is now Want more? Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patreon dot com, slash Stradio lab and for all our visual earners, free full length video episodes are available on our YouTube now.
Speaker 2: Get Back to Work Stradio Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Created and hosted by George Severis and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 2: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Han Soni and Olivia Aguilar.
Speaker 1: Co produced by Bei Wang, Edited and engineered by Adam Avalos. Artwork by Michael Failes and Matt Grum.
Speaker 2: Theme music by Ben Kling