Speaker 1: Hi everyone, I'm Rachel So and you're listening to Climbing in Heels for your weekly dose of glamour, inspiration and of course fun. This week, I am reporting to you live from the one and only New York Fashion Week. The week is definitely not over yet, and we've already been through like two different snowstorms and of course tons of events.
Speaker 2: And you know, I don't recommend.
Speaker 1: Wearing sheer fabric gowns and eiden sheels in a blizzard.
Speaker 2: But you know, here we are.
Speaker 1: I am who I am. I asked my followers to submit some fashion week questions, so I'm going to answer as many as I can.
Speaker 2: Let's jump right into it. Okay, what time are shows typically am? PM? And how long do they last?
Speaker 1: It used to be when I started Mark Jacob show is like a night show and it would be like eight or nine, or it would be called for eight and would start at nine and then he started exactly on time to the minute, and if you did not get there, you missed the show.
Speaker 2: But the earliest show is.
Speaker 1: Typically nine am or ten am. The lash I remember being nine am was the row. And you have to be a show that everyone wants to see. To do it at nine am during fashion week because a lot of people end up sleeping through it if they had a rough night the night before. And the shows themselves are so short. It's like eight minutes to fifteen minutes, depending on the number of looks, but really really short. And I always say it's kind of like doing a wedding where you just work so hard on this event and then it's literally over in ten minutes.
Speaker 2: It's bizarre.
Speaker 1: Actually, Okay, what are my thoughts on the Calvin Klein collection. I think it's super and very old school Calvin, Like it kind of feels like not that much time has passed, but it feels very Calvin Klein Calvin. So for those of you that are fashion people and kind of know that Calvin himself has not designed directly for Calvin in many, many years, probably at least probably fifteen years. I would think Francisco Costa was there for eight years, and then Ralph Simmons briefly, and now there's a new designer there who I think did a really beautiful collection, honestly, very wearable and very true to Calvin. And I think the way you know that is you see that you know the old school muses. We're all there, like Christy Turlington and Kate Moss. I mean, it was a really big deal. Aaron Wasson was there, and I thought it was really chic and really cool. I mean, I really liked it, and I think there's a big.
Speaker 2: Future there for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, which do you like better? New York Fashion Week or Paris Fashion Week? I mean, you know, I hate saying it because I.
Speaker 2: Am a true New Yorker at the core.
Speaker 1: However, I'm pretty sure nothing can really compete with Paris Fashion Week, and I think anyone would probably tell you that, whether it's ready to wear or couture. And I think even just if you base it on, like walking out of a show in the Tuilery Garden, it's like your whole you just gasp for air. And as many times as I've been to Paris for fashion Week, it's never it never gets old.
Speaker 2: I mean it's just magical.
Speaker 1: I just breathe differently in Paris. Okay, what are your must visit places during fashion Week?
Speaker 2: You know it's funny. I don't get a lot of free.
Speaker 1: Time in between shows and events and meetings during fashion week, so I don't get to do a lot of my Like if I came to New York for a week for work that wasn't Fashion Week, all the places I would go, But this place that I just went to was so good, called the Corner Store. It felt like true American meets like French bistro, like Dover Soul and Spina Charta choked it, but I loved the decor. I loved the vibe so much. I love the Corner Store. I will, I think, go to sant Ambrose.
Speaker 2: Tonight.
Speaker 1: I went to the Crane Club, which was incredibly chic. I cannot wait.
Speaker 2: To go back there.
Speaker 1: Like I feel like if I was designed designing my home as like a nightclub supper club, it would look like the Crane Club, which was super cool. I'm really loving the trend right now in membership clubs that are very like feel old school New York supper club. They're very velvety and dark, with like disco ball fixtures and lots of brass hardware on everything, which I love. It feels very like tom Ford cellar on Era meets Halston.
Speaker 2: It's giving me that.
Speaker 1: Five what stores do I like to go to? God, I mean, if I'm uptown, Burgdorfs all the way I love vintage stores. What goes around comes around Resurrection New York Vintage. But they just recently had the vintage show that I missed here, which is my favorite.
Speaker 2: What else do I love to do here? I don't know. I have so many favorites in New York. I feel so happy here.
Speaker 1: Like if I was here longer, I would go to Carbone for sure, via Coroda Polo Bar one of my absolute favorites. I hope I go before I leave New York. Yeah, I mean I could go on for days.
Speaker 2: Okay? What hair tool do I use for my waves? Honestly? I use all T three hair tools.
Speaker 1: I use the minis when I travel and the full size when I'm at home. But I always bring my wand, which has a one inch a one and a half inch barrel, because I don't wash it that much during fashion week, so and then it styles better anyway, and especially because it's been snowing on and off. Okay, how do you plan your outfits for fashion week?
Speaker 2: That's an interesting question.
Speaker 1: It's overwhelming, honestly, because the shows that I go to are mostly my friends' shows, and they send me clothes to where and they send like a different assortment of looks for me to pick from before I leave LA, and then the looks are here when I get here, and sometimes they fit and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they're meant for a six foot model, and you know, I need like a foot taken off the bottom, even with my eight inch heels. But then I basically quickly try everything on before the show if I have time the night before, and if not, then just before the show and I throw it on and just figure out how to make it work.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I pin it, where get clampet all the things.
Speaker 1: But I would just say, like I plan as best I can, but I always have to bring suitcases with my own stuff because if the outfit doesn't work out, then I always need to have my own clothes just in case. And also like if I go to dinner with friends after the show, sometimes I want to come home and change into something on my own. I would say that my staples I always bring. I bring an assortment of black you know, bell bottom flared pants in suede and leather, in denim in.
Speaker 2: Just like a lightweight wool tux fabric.
Speaker 1: Everything, just every kind of black pant and like a wide like denim trouser something like that that I could throw on with everything, a myriad of faux furs, vintage furs, things like that, lots of like mariboo, just to kind of throw on evening looks and sweaters, some good sweaters and pieces and great jackets because New York Fashion Week is all about the coat. It's just about the coat, the coat, the coat, the coat. This is a funny question, and the question I get asked probably once a day, actually, how are you able to walk in such high heels?
Speaker 2: Do you know? It's funny.
Speaker 1: I actually don't find it challenging, and I don't want to jinx it, but I have only really eaten it fully maybe once or twice where I like and by the way, it was very recently and I actually sprained my ankle and it's still not totally healed, probably because I continue to wear really high heels. But I find that if I wear a platform, I can stay in them for ten fourteen hours at a time. So yeah, I don't find it hard. It's actually harder for me to wear flats. I kind of wobble in flats and forget ski boots.
Speaker 2: That's like really challenging for me.
Speaker 1: I packed Valentino shoes, all my Valentino Plat platforms in different colors and fabrics, patent and leather, shiny and Matt also Alayah, I have these great like lug soul Alayah kind of shoeties. I would say it's like an ankle boot shoe.
Speaker 2: What else, uh right? I think that's it.
Speaker 1: Elias and Valentino's basically and liubatants. They go with me everywhere my very very high black pump. What trends are you seeing at New York Fashion Week? And what trends do you expect to see on the oscar red carpet? Honestly, the biggest trend at New York Fashion Week is luxury is really like this whole quiet luxury trend is really hitting hard because I think people have come off of COVID in pajamas. Then they really wanted to get out of pajamas into gowns or for me anyway, and now I think they're trying to find that great middle ground. I also think people are going back to work in an office and they want to look chic and polished but also be comfortable because I think the one thing that COVID taught us was how we can be comfortable and how we deserve to be comfortable every day when we're working.
Speaker 2: But what I am seeing is.
Speaker 1: This, like lots of layered, very layered, luxurious cashmeres and wools and really soft textured fabrics in jewel tones, which I always love to see this time of year, and layered you know, like beautiful wine colors. And I thought I would see more of the pantone color of this, that sort of like Moco Ltte color, But I haven't seen that.
Speaker 2: I mean I have, but not more than usual. And what else I mean? I have seen some.
Speaker 1: Evening incorporated into the luxury in like nude sequence and like, but I've seen them with like flats, you know, a gown with flats.
Speaker 2: I've seen a lot of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a lot of like nude sequence with layers, lot just lots of layers. And lounge dressing still like pajama dressing, which I feel like everyone will be happy about. But like pajamas, like silk pajamas with like a blazer over it and then belted with boots. And I love that, I really feel that, and I think it's very wearable and easy and comfortable.
Speaker 2: What do I expect to see on the.
Speaker 1: Oscar red carpet a lot of Scaparelli, a lot of VERSACEI a lot of sculpted gowns with a lot of work in them.
Speaker 2: I think we're going to see.
Speaker 1: I think the Scaparelli sort of trend in heavily designed, heavily sculpted gowns I think is going to be here a lot. I think we're still going to see some of the nude transparency. I think that's just here to stay. I hope it's done in a tasteful way. At the Oscars, I think endless beating and endless beating and like crystals and things like that. Yeah, I think we'll see that. I think we'll see a lot of this sort of blushy nude, soft metallics.
Speaker 2: I don't know that.
Speaker 1: We'll see maybe we'll see a lot of black this year because of the wildfires and stuff like that. I don't know that so many people are going to want to come out like so loud and flashy, So we'll see if that affects. It didn't really affect it for Grammys, so maybe not. I think there's a huge trend in being okay to repeat wear something right. I think case in point, Kate Blanchette keeps re wearing things that she's worn. And what's so great about Kate Blanchett is she's like repeating and remaking things that she herself has actually worn, which is really amazing, like from Armani to Goutier, And I love that. I mean, she's, you know, can't touch Kate Blanchett. So I love that for her, And that's Elizabeth Stewart styles her, so they collaborate on that. But I think I've also seen a lot of vintage.
Speaker 2: I've seen a lot of vintage.
Speaker 1: I've seen a lot of the models wearing vintage, you know, like the Hayley Beebers and Kendall Jenner's like I've seen I've seen them wearing amazing like vintage Guliano vintage, your vintage for sauce. I've seen a lot of them are coming from this amazing resource called tab Vintage. Tab Vintage takes really amazing pieces from like late nineties, early two thousands, which is why I think it's resonating so much with those girls. Anything from like a Sheik slip dress that Kate Moss wore, you know, on the carpet on the runway, which is amazing. And also I've loved to see sort of Donnatella having a lot of people wear like Di Gianni Versaci from the archives, which you know, I actually remember, which was so cool.
Speaker 2: But I think wearing vintage versus repurposing.
Speaker 1: I think vintage you're pulling from different resources like shrimped, Shrimpton, cature, tab vintage. I mean, the list goes on. I mean I get a lot from first DIBs, but at the end of the day, I think repurposing. I think for a celebrity to come out and say I'm wearing this again that I wore twenty years ago or ten years ago is really making a statement and I think it's really cool. I think it's really cool because I think there for so long it was like you could not be seen in the same even jacket that you wearing, And I was like, that's insane, Like how are these people supposed to like have a jacket or a bag. Can they not be photographed in the same bag or jacket? It seems so ridiculous to me. Okay, what is my go to coffee order? And moisturizes are routine? Moisturize a routine. Okay, so coffee. I don't drink coffee because I suffer from terrible acid reflex, And as much as I want to drink coffee, especially during fashion week, my reflex really acts up just because I'm not sleeping as much, drinking a lot of wine, drinking too much caffeine, and doing all the things you're not supposed to do. My moisturizing routine, so my skin in New York is like I feel like a lizard. I actually feel like a lizard. I actually apply facial oil during the day. It's crazy, but my skincare here really is comprised of various products from Barbara Storm and You Beauty, especially when it comes to hydration, and I use everything from Barbara's serums like the hyerlonic acid, the Niceinamide, the glow Drops Glow Serum, calming serum. I really love them. They're they're really game changing. I just ran out of my night serum and I kind of panic last night. I love her super rich face cream and I cream, and I also use a ton.
Speaker 2: Of You Beauty.
Speaker 1: I use the Bioactive Barrier at night, which I love because you wake up hydrated. I love her eye return I love arms Sculpt. I love her intensive face oil, which I literally like, wake up in the morning and pat it all over my face and literally, by the time I go to put makeup on, I'm still hydrated, but it's absorbed.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's really good.
Speaker 1: It's an intensive face oil and I just can't get enough of it. And she makes great minis for travel, which is like game changer.
Speaker 2: Game changer. I also for those of you that love a very.
Speaker 1: Hydrating moisturizer, the You Beauty super Hydrator, It's sort of like I honestly can't get enough of it.
Speaker 2: It is it is that good.
Speaker 1: It is that good, and she does it intinted as well. Okay, what did I miss? What is your favorite New York snack or food? I mean, I try to keep a protein bar or something in my bag at all times. I like different ones. I like mash bars. I like mash bars, I like Nugo.
Speaker 2: It depends. I don't like ones that are super dense and rich.
Speaker 1: I fend them a little nausea honestly, but Trail Mix is always a good thing to have in your bag.
Speaker 2: What else? What else?
Speaker 1: What has been your favorite New York fashion show to date. Oh God, in the history of fashion, I mean definitely New York. I would say Tom Ford and Mark Jacobs have always been and Michael course are always really really fun shows. Oscar de la Rena, I would have to say, the Oscar de Lorenta show that I went to shortly before he passed was one of the most beautiful shows. And I went there and I left my studio because I was showing the next day, and I left my studio with a room full of I was casting all the models, doing all these fittings, and I ran out took a car to his show because I knew and my soul it might be his last one. And it was just thank god I did, because I would have regretted it forever. And it was one of the most beautiful shows. And I can't remember the year, but Oscar shows during New York Fashion Week was like going to the opera. It was just so beautiful and so elegant, and it just it was always a true New York moment. And then this sort of contrast to a Mark Jacobs show from an Oscar show was always really special.
Speaker 2: But I mean I miss it.
Speaker 1: I miss tom Ford showing here, I miss Mark closing the fashion Week. You know, I miss Oscars shows. I miss you know I do. I miss Ralph Laurence shows. So I miss a lot of my favorites. I really do. I think it's all over the place now in terms of how people show and when they decide to show, which I think is hard for people that travel.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but I have too many favorites, too many favorites. You know what.
Speaker 1: I just remembered one that Mark did that felt very seventies, Miss Sony Vibe Like. It definitely felt very Italian influence, with like the hair, the makeup, the sort of metallic sort of Lyrix knits and stuff. And I remember that show so well at the Park Avenue Armory.
Speaker 2: It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining me for this New York Fashion Week episode of the pod. I have a few more shows and events left to attend, so I can answer more of your questions on my social and apt Rachel's oh feel free to send a question to my Instagram or the show's Instagram. Thank you so much for listening to Clem and Heils. If you haven't already, please subscribe to the show on Apple podcast, Spotify, the iHeart app, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You don't miss a single episode this season.
Speaker 1: Be sure to follow me on Instagram at at Rachel Zoe and the show on at Climbing Hills Pod for the latest episodes and updates.
Speaker 2: I will talk to you so