Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 2: And when I find my.
Speaker 3: Ball in a fried egg Friday egg, the dreaded Frida egg, Frida Egg Egg Egg, Frida egg bride egg.
Speaker 1: Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the course. Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnson. Today I am excited. I'm also apologetic. I had a computer issue and I'm on a loaner computer and I cannot get my microphone interface to connect to this loaner, so you've got kind of of a headphone Mike audio. I'm apology. I get the computer back tomorrow, so we'll be back up better at audio quality tomorrow. Other while we're doing announcements next week, the show's going to be released instead of first thing Wednesday morning, mid day Wednesday, so that will be just one little intricacy of next week. It's going to be just a slightly later release. We're just accommodating, you know, our guest who needs to record Wednesday morning, so we'll be right after we finished recording Wednesday morning. And today I am I'm very excited about this podcast. I think it's just a fun one. I like checking in with these players, big name players who you know might be at, you know, a moment where you wonder, like where's this go. And I think we've had a lot of moments with brooks Keepka at this point, and you know, he didn't have like a I would say it was like necessarily under whelming year in the in the scope of things, but it definitely was a year with high expectations that weren't you know, delivered, And I think there's just a lot of questions about, like, you know, where's he where's he at? So I am joined by Brentley Roman from Golf Channel, Joseph Lamonia from Friday Golf, and we dive into brooks Kepka a little bit on the past, a little bit on his up bringing. This was not meant to be like a full blown, like you know, detailed dig into everything he's done, you know, because there's a lot he's got five majors, a lot of close calls, but more you know, here's where we've been, here's where we are, and where do we think he's going in twenty twenty four? Obviously Live season kicks off now and we're getting you know, it's crazy to say this. I'm always surprised this kind of at this time of year. It's not we're not that far away from the Masters. We're basically two months two months ay from the Masters. It is going to be kind of the lead in there. And as we've seen the last couple of years, the pro golf calendar just goes so so quickly. Once you hit the Masters, it is just boom, boom boom, and next thing you know, you're like, wait, we don't have a Major for eight more months, what's going on? So we're getting to that point where we got to start to think about the Masters a little bit more, and I think Rory's win a pebble last week is going to spark that. So, all right, before we get to our podcast, let's talk about our friends. These are definitely our friends, our friends at golf Genius. We've used golf Genius for the last handful of years to administer our events, our Friday golf events, and let me tell you, like honestly, when we started using them, it made our lives so much, so much easier to run events. This is what they do. They provide tournament management software. It's a platform for managing golf events in golf tournaments. They work in sixty plus countries and at eleven thousand plus clubs, resorts, and public golf courses. They also are used by PGA sessions, golf associations. They say this these are my notes here saves the pro shop hours of prep work and helps deliver a great experience for golfers. I don't think there's any more true as someone who was in the trenches without this and trying to deliver a great golfer experience of an event. This is, without without a doubt true. This is a company that makes running golf events way, way easier. I think you know if this is a no brainer if you're if you're trying to put together something, They've got mobile scoring, live leader board. It's really fun if you're playing in the event and you're able to follow. So if your golf course doesn't have it, ask for it. If you're if you run a golf course and you don't have it, you should get it. You're gonna run better events with it. You can learn more at golf genius dot com. That's golfgenius dot com. And big thanks to Golf Genius for our partnership. We love our partnership with Golf Genius, right, it makes our Friday golf events way better. So all right, let's get to talking about a different golf genius and golf genius on the course. You know, without a doubt, I it's kind of like amazing. And when you think back about brooks Kepka and all these majors, it's like he's just been a force of nature the last ten years. So let's talk about brooks Kepka. All right, we are back where I'm excited about this podcast. We've done a couple of these player focused podcasts. We did one on Jordan Speeth and as well as Justin Thomas. Kind of it's almost like a state of the Union on these on these players. Today we're going to hit on brooks Koepka. This is I think, like since I got into this job, probably you know, the most I think the player with the most high moments in the last eight years. I think he's obviously won five major championships in the last seven years. He's been a absolute force at majors, but also is one of the more unique players in the sense that major success doesn't necessarily equal piling up wins on the PGA Tour or the Live Tour. He's been, you know, a a player that rises to the occasion in the big moments when the golf gets really hard, and been a player that you know, maybe maybe he does, maybe he's loafin the other weeks, maybe he's just not expending his mental energy, but he has been, without a doubt, the player I would say, of the last seven years if you focus in on major championship golf. I'm joined by Brentley Romine from Golf Channel as well as Joseph Lamannia from Brideay Golf to talk about this guys. I wanted to start it out. I have so many vivid Brooks memories from his majors and all the majors he's won. What are what are the what's the memory like the shot or the moment or the stretch of golf that you remember the most.
Speaker 2: All Right, I'll lead it off. So it's it's kind of crazy because I think back in he's won what five major titles now, and I was fortunate enough to be at three of them, and I think the thing that sticks out the most to me is the battle with Tiger Woods. It wasn't necessarily with Tiger because Tiger was a couple of groups ahead, but I just remember remember it being it felt like it was like one hundred and ten degrees. There were so many people there. Tiger made eight birdies and I think maybe his best final round in a major ever at Bell Reeve and still couldn't track down Brooks. And toward the end there was a shot on sixteen it was like two hundred and forty seven yards and he just rips like this towering iron shot to like six feet and that was just the like that was the exclamation point on that win. And then like the way it was on eighteen, there was like this catwalk that you had to walk. It was probably about almost one hundred yards, and there was just the sea of fans, and I just remember like the image of him just walking across with Jenna and then they like walk right past Tiger like coming out of scoring. And so that's kind of like the image. It's kind of funny out of all the places that he's won, it's funny that Belle Reeve kind of sticks out the most.
Speaker 1: I think you said, you know, going toe to toe with Tiger. But like I mean of the players of this like kind of late late twenty tens into the twenties. He ran into Tiger at the at the nineteen Masters too, Like that was another like he I don't know if there's any player that's like in that, you know, speak justin Thomas, you know, Brooks, Kopka thing that have had two run ins at majors with him, one he won, one he lost. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, he also was paired with Tiger early at I believe it was the twenty nineteen PGA, played the first two rounds and he shot the course record, tying sixty three at beth Page. And then one of his first major rounds was with Tiger as well. He played the final round o Kill in twenty twelve and shot seventy seven. So it's funny to see the growth of Brooks from a kid off the Challenge or in twenty twelve shooting seventy seven, and it's like this guy doesn't have it to Frankly, he's probably gotten the best out of Tiger more often than not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tiger, you know asterisk when you got the best out of Tiger, I think. But but yeah, I mean he's gotten the best out of most people in majors, right. I think that's the resounding thing. Joseph, what's your moment?
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm cheating Andy because I'm not picking a moment, I'm picking a quote. And this is probably one of my favorite quotes about a golf forever.
Speaker 2: This is a quote I come.
Speaker 3: Back to every time Brooks is at the top of a major championship leader board, which fairly often, which is a quote from Steve Williams in twenty fifteen to Golf Digest, in which Steve Williams, who's seen some good golf, says, once in a great while, a player comes along who hits a golf ball the way it was meant to be hit, powerful, piercing the perfect trajectory of the young players out there. One I've seen has that special ballflight, Brooks Koepka. He goes on, says a couple more lines, and he says, obviously he's searching to find the other parts of the puzzle. But I haven't seen a ball flight like that since Tiger and before that Johnny Miller. And that's twenty fifteen before Brooks is even won a major. I think it's a really cool quote, and going back preparing for this pod, watching some major championship final rounds again some highlights from Brooks. I think that's what stands out to me the most about Brooks is that ballflight. That he's just striking it differently than other guys in the field. See that at Aaron Hills, see that at Shinnacock. Just these unbelievable piercing stock fades, but also a lot of draws with his long irons. There just aren't many players in the modern era who can hit an iron like Brooks.
Speaker 1: Kopkas a heavy ballflight, right, it feels like when he hits the ball, it just everything like the sound. There is a distinct sound with his interaction with the ball in the turf.
Speaker 2: He's one of the few guys who you can feel the shot. And I hate to compare him to like a player who hasn't really done much, But the only other guy that I've kind of been around that is kind of known for that is Jack Maguire, another Florida State guy. I know it's it's almost blasphemous to compare Kopka, but it's very similar and it's I don't know, maybe Florida State likes recruiting the same guys. I had another quote that is my favorite Brooks quote. Since Joseph is sharing quotes, this is the best Brooks Kopka quote from his entire life. So he basically is has just been born. He's laying in his bassinet. It's in the hospital, and the pediatrician comes in or the doctor comes in, and he's he's looking at at Brooks the baby, and he turns around to his mom Denise, and he says, quote, this is the most serious child I've ever seen in my life. End quote. And that to me, that quote just sets the tone for Brooks Keopka. I mean, it's a perfect description of him.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I if we're talking about quotes, one of my favorite things he said where You're Going was the I'm only playing against a couple guys in a major. I think about that all the time because I it's legitimately how I used to think about State Am qualifiers, and Brooks like like to me that it's wild that Brooks took the same philosophy that I would about like trying to qualify for State Am to a major championship, and the theory is like half the guys shouldn't be there. Yeah, half the guys that should be there aren't going to play well. And then with Brooks, he took it to like a whole, like I'm better than the half the guys that should be there that are playing well. And then it comes down to like I only have to beat a couple guys that are a major. They're easier than anything else. And I I mean, I find it amazing because like it's it kind of speaks to like that supreme supreme talent, supreme confidence, but also like this this understanding of really how tournament golf works. You know, I think like him and DJ got cast into this like kind of bombers, like they're these the Bash brothers, and like DJ given each other a needle the quotes from DJ. But I think like when you get down deep rooted into each of them, they are like golf savants in terms of like the understanding of golf and competitive golf. And there is like there's a layer to Kopka of like physicality. I think that also you know comes through in and and Tim and he intimidates other players.
Speaker 3: Andy you talk about golf intelligence and going to moments from Brooks's career that stand out one that hadn't stood out to me that I went back and watched and was struck by. And I'm curious if either of you guys remember this, but the final round at Shinnakock Brooks' is Bogie on eleven is really interesting to go back and watch where he pulls this iron shot long left and he's he's in jail, and he's.
Speaker 2: Isn't he playing with DJ? I think he's paired with DJ too. I believe you're I believe you're correct. I believe you're correct.
Speaker 3: Brooks knows he can't leave that chip shot short, and that's another thing that I think Dustin Johnson has spoken to before, like when he's short sighted, he's not going to go for the hero shot and potentially leave himself in jail. So Brooks like hits it over and into the bunker and it's not in a good spot, but he wasn't going to leave it short and makes an incredible up and down for Bogey that he makes like a fifteen footer just to save that. Boguey goes on to win the tournament, obviously by one. I'd kind of forgotten about that moment, but for as good of a ball striker as Brooks is. When you go back and watch a lot of these majors. He also puts incredibly well and holds so many crucial putts that kind of look nonchalant, But it's this relentless ball striking paired with an ability to get up and down when it counts and to make a lot of clutch putts, So that that Bogue in particular stood out to me. And I was curious if either of you even remembered that, because I had not.
Speaker 1: I remember that. I like my moment is the back nine at Shancock, Really the entire back nine. I thought that was. You know, that was a day where where players were just like tapping out and it was like a total like succession of like, oh maybe this guy could win. Oh he's gone, you know. And at the end of the day, the man left standing was Brooks Kopka. And it was because of the way, like he astutely calling out eleven. One that I always will never forget is fourteen, the long par four where he had to chip out because he drove it into the tall stuff. He chips out and he's got I think it was, you know, I didn't rewatch this but as I remember, he had like about sixty yard wedge to front pin, not an easy shot downwind, and he bounces that wedge up to like, you know, fourteen feet or so and makes the putt. And I think like the through line of all Brooks's majors is like just like he never gives stuff away, you know, and it is like the constant momentum whenever he needed the momentum putt to make the par or in the case of the eleventh hole of bogie, like he never gave away that extra shot and he kind of kept kept the train on the tracks. And going in Shinnakok to me is like the tournament that magnifies and like shows off everything because every guy kind of bailed out of that tournament.
Speaker 2: Well he was kind of forgotten too going into that tournament because remember he had that risk entry at the end of the previous year. He missed the Masters that year, and I think it was one of those things where it was one of those a long list of Brooks being slided examples where he wasn't a he may not have been mentioned on like a Golf Channel notables list or something, and so that was the chip on his shoulder that week, and I think he almost I say almost, but he got off to a really bad start that tournament too. He was something like seven over through his first twenty one or twenty two holes and then played the rest in six under which that was of course, the we lost the golf course Saturday. Phil was, you know, putting around on the green and one of my favorite moments too from that tournament, and this doesn't have much to do with Brooks, but do you remember Phil and the kid with the Donald Duck hat in the final round on Sunday? There was a kid who had a Donald Duck hat and Phil every hole would go over and rub it, and there was there's a video online but for some reason that just kind of sticks out, but not to get on a huge tangent. But yeah, no, that was a crazy week. That was I don't know, seeing like mentioning that shot on fourteen Andy where he was like hitting out of the like cabbage, like, I don't know. I feel like people were so surprised that he was able to come back from that injury so quickly, and that just sets the table for all of these injuries pretty much like with the knee surgery and the Masters, and I think it just boils down to the fact that Brooks is just tougher than everybody else, and it's always kind of been that way.
Speaker 1: It's I mean that parlays a little bit into coming up. I think like he he took obviously this is very well pubblic size, but he took a different path to the PGA Tour. He went up through the Challenge Tour. He played in Europe, and his coming out party was really like the Pinehurst US Open is where everybody he became a household name, the Martin Kaimer Pinehurst US Open. But there's this Brooks Kepka, this young big American player who you know, had been playing in Europe, that that kind of burst on the scene there. Obviously, the Waste Management win was his first one. But Brentley Near, you've covered amateur and college and you know, pro golf for a number of years now, what was kind of Brooks as an amateur and what was he thought of as as a you know, heading into college and then turning professional. What was he considered he was.
Speaker 2: Along the lines of a player that that was a very regional player, like we've seen some of those in the past. Decade or so with maybe a Maverick McNeil or Justin So and a lot of it was necessity, Like the Kopkaz didn't have a lot of money growing up. They obviously had two, you know, budding golf talents to fund their careers. So Brooks played a lot a lot of fjt's in Florida and he really wasn't He was a good player. He won an AJGA, he had a bunch of top tens. He would play in their invitationals, but he wasn't a I'm trying to think of the guys in his recruiting class, but he wasn't a blame barber. Or there was a kid named Wesley Graham who was also really good who didn't quite pan out. But I think when he went to Florida State he was kind of known as this hotthead like he had a lot of talent, had these broad shoulders, had the ball striking, had the sound all that, like, he had everything he wanted. But he was an absolute like head case. And Chris Malloy, who's the head coach at Ole Miss now, he was the assistant at Florida State under Trey Jones, And I mean there's stories where Molloy would, you know, be making Kopka run stadiums and he'd be at the bottom with the trash can and Kopka would like puke into the trash can and then head right back up the stairs to do it like another stadium. And there was a five second roll too in college where Brooks like because he would break clubs and so he basically had to put the club in the bag within five seconds otherwise he'd get you know, he'd have to run stadiums or do extra gym time. But then after a while, like none of that would work because Brooks just thought of the stadiums as, oh, that's just my cardio for the day. Like he just you couldn't quite crack him. And it's funny because I talked to Maloy the other day and I was asking him, like, when was the turning point? Because Brooks now is known as this what like this uncrackable, like just mental force. But I'm like, when did it? When was the turning point for him? And I think it was really it was a sophomore year. His mom had had just been diagnosed with cancer towards the end of that previous year and you know, so Brooks was dealing with that, but then also he was he was contending at their home tournament and he blew a shot out of bounds and he just started f bombing and just really making a scene of himself, and he lost so much focus that he gets in signs his card and he signs for the wrong score, and so he decuses himself and the team goes from beating I forget who they were playing. It might have been like Georgia Tech or something, but or Virginia beating them by nine by only beating them by one. And that moment, like he felt like he almost left his teammates down, was the moment where he kind of realized, all right, I have to grow up. And it obviously wasn't a complete one eighty after that, but that was kind of the moment where he went from being a good college player with a hot head to actually putting together turn and being a first team All American and leading them to the n C Double A championship in twenty twelve and really being the reason why they even had a chance at match play. That's another interesting story, uh that twenty twelve, Like we talked about shots for for the longest time. He said, the most clutch situation that he's ever been in was at Riviera in twenty twelve. He's on the eighteenth green, Daniel Berger is just throwing up all over himself. Three pet of the green.
Speaker 1: Just a drive vibe.
Speaker 2: Well this this, this is a worthy drive by, just a drive by. Well, I think Daniel Berger signed where.
Speaker 1: He's gonna sign up for a Burger drive by here Bentley.
Speaker 2: No, so I mean Burger. I've talked to Berger about this. It's in my oral history of this n Cuba Championship. But so Brooks had like a seven foot ver par slider on on eighteen at riv and it was he was in the last group, so he knew what it meant, and it was to send his team into a playoff with Kent State UH for the final spot and match plays. So he makes it and he called that the most high pressure putt for gosh for years, and you know, to button up this story. The next morning they go out and it's a playoff. They play five two five SS in its best aggregate score. In the final group that Brooks is in is is Koepka. Dani old Berger, who's a freshman and then Corey Connors Pendy and Matthwes. So you have five tour players. Yeah, five players, all tour players, all in this playoff. And Daniel Berger makes a double bogie basically from from the fairway. He hit it like forty yards short of the green and then flubbed the chip and missed a pie. It was awful, and Kopka made the only par I think ford on Forida State, But yeah, Kent State ended up winning that playoff without making a par which was pretty crazy. But yeah, I talked to Brooks about that in a few years back, and the only thing he said was the only thing he remembers from that NCAA championship is that Burger choked, like to this day. Just he's like, yeah, I remember Burger choking Bridley. I mean, hopefully this isn't I don't think this is jumping ahead too much. Brooks comes out to the Challenge Tour right a little bit of an unconventional route, Like I think, now this is generalizing, but each year there's a couple of college players where it's like, all right, that might be a tour player. How ha was Brooks thought of when he left college? Because I feel like It's hard to go back in time and remember exactly unless you followed college golf super closely what you thought of Brooks kept as a prospect at the time, Like, yeah, how are people thinking about him? I mean he was probably I mean he won three times in college. He had a really consistent you know, last couple of seasons too to where he was. I mean he was finishing T seven and T eleven things like that. He was really solid. I would say he was probably a top ten guy coming out, But back then it was it was weird. It seemed like you had to be, you know, one of the top three guys in wagger to get starts, like to get sponsor exemptions. And that was the big thing and the big reason why he went to the Challenge Tour. And I believe I forget who even recommended it. It might have been Rocky Hambricks, his agent recommended him go to the Challenge Tour, but it was because he didn't get any sponsor exemptions.
Speaker 1: Like it's like this through line with Brooks of like never really being respected, like the big name, like and he becomes through his play a force in the game, but like, I mean, you know it, he never was one of the blue like effective golf blue bloods like you think about. He was never the Speeth or Justin Thomas, you know in terms of like the fanfare and accolades and everything, and didn't get the exemptions, and it created this other path. But then that continues with like when he is talking about these these beat like these slights. You know, it like became a fabric of who he was as a competitor or who he is as a competitor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that that was the That was like a golden age of college golf too. I mean, right in that kind of three year period between like twenty eleven and twenty thirteen, you had Patrick Cantley turning pro, you had speech turning pro, you had Justin Thomas turning pro. I mean obviously Kopka. So I mean it was just all these Thomas Peters. I mean, we can't forget Thomas Peters, the NC doublea individual champion that year at riv.
Speaker 1: Where did he go to school?
Speaker 2: He went to Illinois? Yeah, oh there, Hey, Illinois is really good at making match play. I'll give you that. But yeah, no, that that challenge to our like excursion. I think it was maybe late last year that video of Brooks riding around in that little car in India, like while he was on the Challenge Store and he's doing like a vlog and he's just loving it. It's so weird because I feel like Brooks loves the team aspect and like he'll tell you that, but then there's times where he'd also say, like I don't want to be friends with any of these guys, like I don't have any of their phone numbers saved. And so I've always kind of treaded lightly with kind of what comes out of Brooks's mouth, just because I think sometimes he tries to say things, you know, to kind of trick his mind into believing something, and maybe sometimes he contradicts himself. But but yeah, I think deep down, Brooks has always kind of liked, maybe not so much the team aspect of the Challenge Tour, but I think he's always liked this kind of self torture that that's sort of like running the stadiums in college, or you know, cramming, you know, four guys in a car riding around Kazakhstan and you know, sleeping in his car and things like that. I think he enjoys that. I think he enjoys it being tough, and he enjoys the grind and it's kind of almost Navy Seal type where you kind of performed the best when you're in pain, and you know, in these high pressure situations, and it's.
Speaker 1: I think it's also something like I you know, he obviously he's made many comments through the years about how golf is in real sport, and you know, he wanted to be a baseball player and stuff, and I imagine that when he was playing the Challenge Tour, there was an aspect of it that probably in his mind made it feel like minor league baseball, you know, and the things that minor league baseball players go through to you know, to get to the to the you know, to the big leagues.
Speaker 2: His first win on the Challenge Tour was fifty four holes too, so everything kind of comes back around again. Hey, he beat your guy up the van and one of those Challenge story events.
Speaker 1: I mean, it depends on what you say you beat. He won that event, but he finished third on the Order of Merit that year, and you know, finished number one is Pavan, so you know who really won. So he goes to the Challenge Tour, he wins his first year on Challenge Tour, he didn't get like in the Chilge Tour, you have to finish in the top five. I mean, for people that don't know what the Challenge Tour is, it is it is like the It's the European Tours version of the corn Faery Tour, which is it's like a way more thrifty corn ferry Tour, way less money and way more obscure venues. I mean you're you're traveled. Yeah, you're going all over the world and like to really random places such as Kazakhstown.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, anyways, he wins in his first year, and then the next year he won three times on the Challenge Tour, which got him a third place spot on the Order Merit, which then earned his European Tour card. So year is twenty fourteen, and he's a European Tour player at this point, so kind of just give everybody an idea of where we're at on the Kopka, you know train. So twenty fourteen, he's got his European Tour card, He's played in a couple of majors, and this is where the big kind of breakout comes at the US Open, where he finishes fourth. He goes on later in the year to win on the on the European Tour. He won late in the season, which you know catapulted him up into where he got I think he got his PGA Tour card through World ranking correct, Well.
Speaker 2: No, so, so he got it through his PGA Tour card. Yeah, he actually got it through like the not the special temporary but like with through non member points. And I think it was at Pinehurst that he actually locked up his card when he was t four there in twenty fourteen. You mentioned how that was kind of his breakound Andy, there was one golf legend who that was not the moment where he realized too brooks Keptka won because there's a moment at Valhalla at the PGA later that year where Tom Watson is he's looking for Harris English for something and he comes across brooks Kepka's group and Kepka hits a drive and he's walking down the fairway and Tom Watson is talking to him and he says, what club are you ahead? Pro at So he mistook brooks Kopka for aal at the twenty fourteen PGA. It just it never ends with.
Speaker 3: Them Hey, can we go a little on that, Like, as we're talking about the slights, I do feel like that's a massive part of brooks Kepka's journey and just looking through like it wasn't on the Walker Cup, right, Brentley revisiting the twenty fifteen President's Cup when you go back and look at him not being a Captain's pick and them going with Bill Haas and JB. Holmes instead, despite Brooks won that year in Phoenix, as I believe both JB. Holmes and Bill Haas also won that year, but Brooks's results in majors put theirs to shame in twenty fifteen. In twenty fifteen, Brooks made the cut in all four majors, finished tenth at the Open, fifth at the PGA, eighteenth at the US Opened, thirty third at the Masters. Like he made the cut in all four, he's playing very well, has a win, and doesn't get picked for the President's Cup team. When you just pile that on him being his name being mispronounced at the US Open at Aaron Hills, I believe in his winning. Maybe it's during the trophy ceremony, not being listed as a notable as Brentley already has alluded to, and I believe that was maybe the twenty eighteen US opened, despite being the defending champion. I think golf channels showed the notables during the first round and Brooks was not mentioned, and he might have even tweeted about that, like the Boys Club, and Brook's not really feeling a part of it, always being slighted, like it's not all a figment of his imagination. It feels like there are a lot of slights along his journey, which probably informs the person he is. I don't know if that's necessarily why he went to live There's there's a lot of reasons for that, but it is kind of interesting to think about him always being overlooked, maybe never taken quite as seriously as some of his peers.
Speaker 2: Well remember Brandle. The Brandle stuff when when Brandal was doing the podcast with HYMI man, that was a great podcast. I wish that was still going on, But he said something like himI asked him, and this was after Tiger won the twenty nineteen Masters, and he said something like, when Tiger plays Brandle and he's healthy, like, is he the best player still? And Brandal said yes, basically in a roundabout way, and then and then he said the only two players who can come close to him are DJ and Rory, and then he mentioned Ram and then he mentioned Speed. He didn't even Kopka, and that was when Keopka tweeted the brandle with the clown nose. And then that's same because that was right around that was in May, right before Beth Page and that same championship. The pre tournament presser. Brooks's I remember it was right after Tigers, and Tigers is jam packed. It's you know, it's standing room only, and as soon as Tiger's done, Brooks is walking in. In the media, it's just a mass exodus. And you know, some people stayed, but Brooks definitely noticed half the room just getting up and leaving once Tiger was done speaking. And Brooks's I mean, Brooks is, you know, the defending champion and already a three time major winner at the time, So I mean, it's just it's crazy. And I feel like I feel like I sided with Brooks on this too, because I feel like, you know, maybe you know, us as journalists kind of were off put by the by the kacky, by the attitude and maybe didn't give him quite the do that he may have deserved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can get. I get both sides. And I think like one of the things is like great competitors. I you watch the last dance and he get it. You watch some of the things that Michael Jordan used to do to get up for the random Tuesday night, you know, Wizards game and or bullets then game, and it's like, this is what crazy competitors do. And I think like Brooks absolutely used all this fuel for the betterment of his golf game, right, Like he is someone that like that it helps provide an edge. I think like it shows when he doesn't have an edge, he doesn't really perform. And that's the explanation I think on the PGA Tour stuff is that the majors provided that heightened important and pressure that he kind of needs to play his best level of golf.
Speaker 3: What was it that he said before the final round at Harding Park. Didn't he say something like all these guys, like none of them have win won a major, DJ only has one. I don't even know a lot of the other guys.
Speaker 2: He basically called a shot on the eve of the final round, right, and said that he was going to win.
Speaker 3: Basically just feels like to your point, Andy, like he has always tried to find those ways to motivate himself, whether he's making them up or not, and probably often not, like he was just straight up overlooked in a lot of situations.
Speaker 1: So the story of Brooks is obviously majors, and as you alluded to, twenty fifteen's when it starts to percolate. This is where things are starting to happen in majors with Brooks. He goes thirty third at the Masters, first Masters he ever played in eighteenth of the US Opened. This was after last year's T four. Then he goes T ten, T five. The next year he plays three out of the four. He goes T twenty one, T thirteen, misses the Open and plays the PGA, finishes fourth there, and then it gets us to twenty seventeen. He finishes eleventh in the Masters. He wins the US Open. So he wins the twenty seventeen US Open. That's his first US Open. That is at Aaron Hills. You know, I honestly think like people didn't count this as a major because of the scoring at Aaron Hills. There was like, again, he wins a major and people. I think there are people that were upset that JT didn't win, you know that about how the golf course set up, But it's it's kind of treated like it wasn't a major, Like there are people all of this shouldn't count because it was Aaron Hills and so on and so forth, and I kind of think this is just like another thing that Brooks can turn into us, Like I love this Major. I joined it too. When I look back, I really loved it.
Speaker 3: If you go back and watch it, how his ball striking is absolutely insane. He missed like ten greens the entire tournament and only made like he didn't make a double bogie and he and he only made one bogie on the back nine the entire week.
Speaker 2: It was just insane. It's a stripe show.
Speaker 1: He was so good. And it's like I think, like the discourse got so bad that week with the width of Aaron Hills, because I think, honestly, why the discourse went so south on the weekend was that people didn't want Brooks Kopka to win, and they wanted something from the golf course to stand in the way of him winning. But the reality is probably is if you made it a narrow golf course, he would have won by even more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that was a really cool mat. I mean, Scotty was the low am that week, Brian, and that was that was Xanders Xander's kind of coming out party. Two in majors.
Speaker 3: JT got a nuclear on Saturday, right, And I think that's to your point Andy, people wanted him to.
Speaker 1: Win HYDECKI was right there too.
Speaker 2: That might have been big Stews first US Open too.
Speaker 1: That's yeah. I mean well, and at that time, it's also important to think I was I walked a practice round with Jordan Speith and at this time Jordan Speith and Cameron McCormick were talking about how to get to eighteen Majors, like what had to happen, and you just think about like the sliding doors the moment, like I don't think they knew that the the major championship player from that era was going to play the event, and it wasn't them, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that that was interesting because Brooks came into that that major not playing that well. You think he was like T thirty seven in Memphis the week before, he had missed forrest six cuts to start that year had been like outside the top thirty for a month at that time, and there's like a really famous story about him and Pete Cowen that week and basically Pete Cowen just lit into him, and it kind of even goes back to college golf, like I feel like Brooks's dad, Bob basically gave the keys to like Brooks's coaches, like whoever was coaching. I mean, I think it continued to the pros. You basically had to almost physically beat Brooks Kepka up to get him to listen. And I think this is like a really famous story with Pete Cowen that week. He just ripped into him and Brooks ended up signing a flag for him afterwards and said thanks for getting on my ass or something like that. And there's been I think some moments where Brooks has kind of asked Pete to do the same thing, and I think after this year's Masters was another moment like that. But yeah, going back and kind of researching this, that was something that came up was this this moment with Pete where he basically just said you need to have an attitude of a champion and stop being like a petulant child, and he did.
Speaker 3: I'll just say, I mean talk about the major championship performances, and there are a bunch of have some stats pulled on that. I think what was enlightening and going through this deep dive on Kopka is how many majors he almost won. And I think it's easy to overlook that sometimes and correct me if I'm missing one. But he almost won at Pebble twenty nineteen, almost won the twenty nineteen Masters. He's in the mix with Tiger, almost wins a Harding Park right that. We just referenced that quote from the night before almost wins Kiowa with Phil, where Phil Slow plays him almost won the twenty twenty three Masters. It looked like he was going to win the twenty twenty three Masters before he kind of starts to fall apart and rom overtakes him. But that's five more right there. That he won five, and he could still win a couple more.
Speaker 2: We could.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say that all five of those could have gone his way, but he easily could be standing here with seven right now.
Speaker 2: He said that too, Like he said, I think the quote was I should have eight majors.
Speaker 1: I The other thing about it is like it's so different than like a Faldo who won six and it's like wait, like he won basically every time he had a chance to win, he won, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think that Brooks Brooks has this crazy conversion rate too. I think Brooks has converted like four or five fifty four hole leads as well, the only one not being maybe Tiger.
Speaker 3: One stat I found really interesting that just speaks to how often Brooks has been in the mix. He puts together a bunch of top fives essentially over an eight year period, right, twenty seventeen to twenty twenty three or twenty yeah, twenty's I think twenty fifteen to twenty twenty three is like really when he does a lot of his damage. The stat I wanted to poll is like, who has put together the most top fives in an eight year period in the twenty first century?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So I think Brooks here that his max is like twenty either twenty fifteen through twenty twenty two. That's that's eight years or twenty sixteen to twenty twenty three. I can't remember, Tiger. This is major nineteen. Sorry that this is Major's only right, Major's only right, most top fives in an eight year period. Tiger had nineteen, Ernie Els had fourteen, Brooks and Phil both had twelve, and Spif had eleven and then it drops off after there. It's pretty incredible those names that Brooks is surrounded by. And credit to the Spif for being up there too as one of the other players who's more of a younger generation. But I mean, you're talking about Brooks, Phil, Ernie and Tiger.
Speaker 1: I the major stuff's crazy. It's like and I think like the other thing that people like have a hard time with Brooks and like the love of Brooks is he's just not rolling up and winning at and uh you know other non major events, right, Like I think there's like we just saw it with Rory winning at Pebble, Like how big of a deal it is and how much like love, how love love love people have for him winning there, and it's like Brooks would just go finish like T thirty two for a month.
Speaker 3: Yeah he show he he.
Speaker 2: I think people didn't like the fact that he not only did he not care, but he told you that he didn't care about him And I think that really rubbed people the wrong way because it's like, well, if you play on the PGA Tour, bro like like no one wants to Like I don't know. I feel like he's he's been so negative to the point of maybe making an effort to try to be like like Michael Jordan or be like one of those guys, and and it's just not himself because as we've talked about, like Brooks really cares what people think about him, and he really cares about his standing in the game, but mentally like he wants to be the other guy. And so I think he's done a lot of things in his career that being one of them, to where he's maybe sabotaged himself because he's trying to be someone that he's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I think it's all it's been like all part of the the aura, right, and I think like part of the I think there has to be something with the players too, where they have to wonder how this guy does it where he just doesn't. He shuts off seemingly for most of the year and then comes every major comes out and kicks our ass, like how's he doing this? You know?
Speaker 2: So I was talking with Luke Clanton last year and this was right around the time, he was winning the three straight college events in the spring, and he won the Vast Bar, which is down at the Floridian where Brooks practices, and Brooks spent some time with the team, and and that's another thing about Brooks too, is I think he did he does a lot of things behind the scenes too, Like he he sent the private jet for Florida State like his own jet, and had flew him down, spent like a day with him. But he was practicing with with Luke, and Luke asked him like pretty much that thought, Andy, like how does he how does he do it? And I think the quote was Brooks told Luke he basically just goes brain dead, like he tries to play golf brain dead to where he's not thinking about anything. And that's what he said, that's very hard to do.
Speaker 3: In the Full Swing Netflix documentary, right is the episode that profiles Brooks and Scottie, and Brooks says that that when Scotty's playing well, he's not thinking about a single thing. And Brooks wasn't in that place mentally at the time of that interview. So I think that only just reinforces that Clinton advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was one tournament one major too. It might have been twenty twenty three or twenty nineteen against Tiger, where Ricky Elliott talked about Brooks not being able to turn off the outside noise, like he could hear everything that everyone was saying in the gallery and like it really messed with him. It might have been twenty twenty three because that was also when Brooks afterwards he wouldn't and spent like all night with his buddy when he got home, and they went like shot by shot and they went through like what was going through his head, and he was basically he like diagnosed it and was like I just wanted it way too much and I kept thinking about like too much stuff. And so yeah, I mean I've always like I know, I say, like, you know, Brooks kind of talks out both of them into his mouth. But he's always been one of my favorite players, just because obviously of the major like the major record, but I don't know, just like the toughness too, and kind of the ability to do things that not a lot of guys could do.
Speaker 1: I he's so on his career, He's got eighteen top tens and majors and thirty seven starts, roughly like a fifty percent top ten percentage at you know, he's got twenty or I guess he's in forty two eighteen forty two, so he's a little below fifty percent. Twenty five top twenty fives in forty two events. Then the top fives is so impressive. Fourteen you know, fourteen top top fives and forty two events, it's nuts. And then you obviously have the five wins. It's I feel like we're having this discussion because it feels like kind of another moment. I think there's been a few moments of Brooks, you know, the injuries, the knee in particular. I think there's a moment where he himself, along with the hip, thought it might be over, you know, and obviously that he had the resurgent twenty three, which you know he saw he almost won the Masters. John Rahm ended up winning that one, and he wins okill. And I think like a lot of people had pretty high expectations of Brooks in twenty four and it was met with barely lackluster play. He won twice on the Live Tour, whatever that means, and in the majors he made the cut at all of them. But he wasn't really a factor in any of them, which was you know, I think when when we've had healthy Brooks Keopka, you you expect him to be there late on the weekend, and that just wasn't the case this year. So it kind of I think leaves us with are we are we on the Are we at the end of the kep geyer? Are we on the backside? Are Is there a few more years of really high level play?
Speaker 2: I think so, And I don't think this past year was necessary really as much to do with health in the body as you know, maybe you know the injuries before that, like like you mentioned the knee cap and the knee that also kind of led to the hip injury, which we see so often with these guys. They try to play hurt and they end up doing something to injure another part of their body. But I think the big thing last year, which was just the putting. And I've always thought amongst the you know, the the elite major players in the game the last decade, you know, your your Rory's, your Speece, your your DJs, I've always thought like Brooks was the best putter out of all the guys who could ball strike you to death, Like he was also the best putter, and he was as high as like fifth strokes game putting back in sixteen seventeen, back when he won that first one, And he was always kind of around that twenty to forty range on tour and even better in the majors, and this year clearly uncomfortable on the greens, Like if you extrapolate kind of his strokes gained, and you know, and correct me if I'm wrong, Joseph too, because you're a lot better with the stats than me. But basically, just looking at those four majors that he played, he lost something around like zero point three four or five strokes on the greens, and that would have ranked like one hundred and sixtieth on tour last year. And I know that he'd switch putters before the US Open, so he was clearly like that was the part of his game that really let him down. And Tita Green stats like if you would have just taken those four major tournaments, he would have ranked all behind only Scotty for the year. So like, I feel like the putting is might be the I don't know. I feel like putting's always kind of the easiest thing to get back sometimes, especially if you have been a good putter.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you feel, andy, Like I know, at moments i've felt like Brooks is probably or towards the end, I feel a lot.
Speaker 1: He's thirty four.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, important to call that. I feel less that way now. I think we just see that the true greats can do it at thirty eight, like we've seen Justin Rose and Adam Scott and Sergio Garcia play into their forties. I don't know that Brooks Kopka is gonna have that same longevity, but I think even if it's two years from now, like we could see underwhelming results in twenty twenty five from Brooks and majors and then him get a little healthier and put a couple good majors together when he's thirty six thirty seven. Like, it's not like he's only been involved in the five majors that he's won. Like, as we've already mentioned, he's been in the top five so often that I think it'd be a little crazy to discount him in general. But it's kind of this, there's so much variance, Like he could show up and miss the CUD. It'll never surprise me, but he also could show up and win. I think what I would love to see from Brooks, and I'm a little skeptical love is like, could he put together another year where he's in the top fifteen and all four majors, or like in the top eight and three of them, Like, I think that's probably pretty unlikely, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him win another one. Where are you Andy?
Speaker 1: I think it's tricky now with Brooks because you just don't see him very much, right, and he just kind of pops up. And I think this has been an issue, and obviously it wasn't in twenty twenty three for him when he won and finished almost won the Masters. But like, I don't necessarily think that lives the best place to prepare for majors, right, you had the Eugenio Chichara, Like, it's not the best place for young players tour. I don't think it's the best place to prepare for majors tour either. You know, like you already see these guys are starting by playing an event under the lights in Saudi Arabia this week, and it's like, look at the head start that a guy like Rory has on the season as he's played with them playing, you know, and I know these guys play some of the like the DP World Tour. The consistency of having to play on tour was a good thing for him.
Speaker 3: I mean to your point, I also think it gives you a little bit of a better idea of where you stack up. Yes, I think that's a big part of it. Did some of the live guys, frankly are just a little delusional about the quality of play on their tour and finished tied for ninth and think that their game is in a better spot than it is when if you're playing against the stacked field, like Rory just was like, I think it gives you a little bit of a better feel for what you need to work on, even more so than just the golf course argument the courses that you're playing.
Speaker 2: I think it's maybe a little bit deeper than that. And you know, I think, yeah, I mean, John rom Bryson, I don't know if it's necessarily even the competition. I think it's the biggest thing for me is just the fifty four holes because and also shotguns start and it's so much different actually at a major if you're in the lead or you're in contention in a major, and you don't tee off until three pm on a Sunday afternoon, like the mental like fortitude, you have to have that entire morning from the time you wake up to the time you tee off, and then like you haven't even done the hard part yet. I just feel you can't simulate that on on live like you're not You're not having to watch a guy go out an hour an hour and a half ahead of you and post a number like you don't you basically just tee off and you all meet back at the clubhouse and sign your scorecards. I just think it's just a total different dynamic. And with Brooks specifically, like we just talked about his entire career, like he gets up for the majors and like he doesn't get up for anything else. I'm surprised that that he's won five times on Lift, just because I don't I think that he still thinks the majors are above everything else and that he's kind of just I don't know, I mean, he's just playing golf. I don't know if this really means that much to him, to be honest with you, like these these whip tournaments, so.
Speaker 1: Hoing five times on living four times on the PGA Tour pretty wild.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe we're missing something. I mean maybe. I mean I haven't been to a live event, so I can't really judge, but it just doesn't seem I don't know the thing that the only things that concerned me with Brooks as far as longevity and what we're going to see from because I don't think he had a bad Major year. I mean he didn't miss it. He didn't have a terrible Major last year. I think the things with him or health, I mean, the guys had, you know, a severe wrist injury, severe two severe knee injuries, a severe hip injury, you know, so that that stuff doesn't it goes away like maybe specific injuries, but if you're prone to stuff like that, maybe it doesn't. So I think that's a big thing. And then he also doesn't have a swing coach right now, like he has Pete Cowen, who you know, has mainly just been short game kind of slash mental coach for him. He's had Pierce who's been his putting coach forever, who's a really great coach, but he doesn't work with Claude anymore, and so who knows, Like could that be a good thing, taking ownership of his own swing and kind of moving forward like we've seen from some other guys in the past, or you know, like.
Speaker 1: That's such a mid thirties PGA tour or professional golfer move mid thirties, you take ownership of your swing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and who knows. I mean, like I said, maybe that's the best thing for him, but I know I'm pretty optimistic, and who knows, like professional golf could look a lot different in two years to where we see brook Brooks Koepka a lot more. And yeah, he's like you say, he's thirty four. I mean, I'm thirty four. I don't feel that old. I think he still got a good decade of solid major play ahead of him.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't maybe go decade. I think like we could build in a year or two of injury just with his past I think he to forty. And it's kind of like crapshoot. So you know, in my calculation, in my you know, this is just he's got about sixteen majors left at his current clip. That gets him to seven or eight more or seven or eight for total if he kept the percentage he was at right now, which seems like you're saying.
Speaker 3: Hold on, you're saying, strap lad, And if you were to win at the same rate as he has in the past over the next sixteen he would get two to three more. You're saying, yeah, it feels like a stretch.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean that's like just like the math, right, you would get like two more. So he gets to seven. I think that's kind of unrealistic, probably, you know. I I think there's probably one more left in there. If I if I had a gun to my head, I think he gets one more. I don't know. If he gets one more, I think, like, what'll be interesting Him and Rory are effectively the same age is who's up with more majors at the end of the day, Brooks having a one major league is And I think this is like a interesting underguard card that has a lot of Like I guarantee when Brooks won his fifth that couldn't have made Rory happy because it's like there's a badge of honor of being like the you know, if you take Tiger out of active and fill out of active player, the active player with the most majors right, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Rory has said it.
Speaker 3: He said it in the in the Netflix Full Swing thing, Like, I know Brooks has more majors than I have now, like they're obviously all aware of it.
Speaker 1: I mean, who'd you pick to have more majors at the end of their career? No, you get one one major lead with Brooks?
Speaker 3: Brandlely, Curious what you think I would take Rory. I believe that the.
Speaker 2: From now until the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this calendar year is such a good opportunity for Rory in the level he's playing, in the longevity he's shown that. I believe he'll get one over the next two to three years, and as soon as he ties it up, I think the odds get way in his way in his favor, just giving Brooks his injury history. But if they finish their careers and Brooks finishes with six and Rory ends on four, it's not going to shock me. I wouldn't be running to the bank to go take out a huge loan and make a bet against Brooks's future compared to Rory. Like Rory may not win another one.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. I think I would take Rory. But curious what you think Brentley it's kind of recently biased. I think he may have found something with this TP five boss witch, you know, the degree lower, similar amount of spin. I don't know. I feel like Rory like Brooks's if you look at all the different aspects of the game, Like Brooks has never been a great chip or the golf ball, like great around the green, so he's always kind of consistently been right around the top, you know, one hundredth to outside the top one hundred in strop scans around the green. I feel like Rory has been more consistent across the board then then Brooks has. And you know, if Brooks isn't gonna if he's not going to figure out the putting anytime soon, like he could, he could waste another year or two of majors. And Rory right now is playing some of the best golf that he's playing. So I could see Rory winning two majors this year, and if Brooks doesn't get it, going it for another couple of years, like that's a pretty big head start. So yeah, I'd I'd go Rory. Probably a little bit of recency bias, but I do think Brooks wins at least one more.
Speaker 1: Still on the Pebble Beach high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm always on the Pebble Beach High. Well, I mean you said six years of Brooks twenty thirty one. I think it's Kiowa potentially for the PGA.
Speaker 3: We're not protecting up, We're not protecting.
Speaker 2: We're not doing that Riviera for the US Open in twenty thirty one, and then I don't know where the Open it. It might it might be a is that that's not a saying that's not an old course you're not doing I mean.
Speaker 1: I mean one of the crazy things with Brooks is he's had close calls at Augusta. I mean we're like very close to him being a like he was close support Rush too. You know, it's I think like every year fits well for Brooks. I think one of the things with Brooks is the utter other aspect of it, Like twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen Brooks versus today. I don't think he's as much of a force with the driver as he used to be.
Speaker 3: I also just think that's a really interesting point, Andy, for how much we harp on Rory and great players who haven't won the Masters yet. I mean, how do we not talk about Brooks the same way when you think about who's at that champion's dinner and who has won ed Augusta. Brooks deserves as much of that conversation right now as Rory does.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think his.
Speaker 3: Chances of winning the Masters are arguably higher than Rory's, just given how Rory tends to get little loose out there.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating that after okill, I feel like the discourse was like, ken Brooks get to eight or nine, and now you know, we're a year, a year and a half later, a year, a year almost two years later, I guess, And now it's like, can he get to six? What would you put the over under on on? Is six and a half the right over under? Or is it five and a half?
Speaker 2: It's five and a half. Yeah, it's got The over unders are always very conservative because it's so hard. I mean, you've got so many, I mean, so many guys who can win majors now, I mean, Ludwig's already a force in majors.
Speaker 1: He had won good major so far.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I believe I mean, yeah, yeah, Colin, but no, but like as far as like his game is built for majors, and he hasn't really led me to believe otherwise. So yeah, I mean, heck, I throw. I threw Luke Clanton in there. Luke Clinton's gonna win like four majors. We're gonna be.
Speaker 1: Doing a special exemption into the Masters.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, he's not gonna get that. He's he's got to play a college tournament at some point. You know, he's hope.
Speaker 1: All right though, all right, this was fun. Anybody got any last Brooks thoughts to get off their chest? Anything? Yeah? One? All right? I figured no.
Speaker 3: One moment we did not touch on that. I just think is funny and illustrative of Brooks Kopka and his major alpha energy. The twenty fifteen Open when when the ball is oscillating on the green and Brooks kept is a complete unproven entity at this point, he hasn't even played ten major championships, and some rules official comes up to him, I guess makes it clear that he's a sir the rules official referring to himself, and Brooks says allegedly, I don't care. I don't give an f who you are. I'm not playing until my all stops oscillating. And then shortly thereafter they halt play. Do you think that's a pretty uh. It fits in with a lot of Brentley's characterizations of a young Brooks. The brash like some of the arrogance kind of maybe was a sign that he did not feel uncomfortable in that environment. I think it's pretty interesting moment in the Kopka. If we're gonna do the Keopka pod, we got to mention.
Speaker 1: That this this is not meant to be like a full blown Kopka, you know, because if we if we wanted to do that, the there needs to be lots of discourse about you know, the move to live, the the Bryson Beef, Keila and near miss, you know, getting just getting steamrolled by Phil on Sunday. There's so manything layers to that. This is kind of more of a check in of where are we, what are we doing, and where do we think he goes? And I think I think everybody's pretty positive on Brooks and and where it is. I think, you know, generally believe that we are we are going to see more high level major play from him in the calendar year.
Speaker 2: I got one more thing that would be perfect to sign off with and all right. My all time favorite Brooks Kopka moment was a exchange that he had with Smarten and I believe a tour championship a few years back. And basically this is when Brooks had the the off white zip tie on a shoe and so smart and being the intrepid reporter that he is said, people were asking, what's on your shoes? Oasis question Mark Brooks goes the off whites. It's fashion bro No, no, no, the other Brooks. This is like such a typical golfer, like forty year old white man, like and smart and goes, I have two kids. It was like the best exchange ever and one that I will file away from me for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing. All right, well that does it. Big thanks to Brentley. You can read his work at Golf Channel. You can see him on Golf Channel. Joseph, I've loved your Your Wednesday article every week on on on our website, The Friday dot Com. And big thanks to p. J. Clark for producing and editing this podcast. This is the start of the Johnnies game. Big big night for the Johnny's against Marquette. But he's he's he's producing this podcast instead.