Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This He's Talking Cowboys, springing live from the Dallas Cowboys World headquarters.
Speaker 3: At the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Straight up, six second, tesscot Tiensis.
Speaker 1: Paint a touchdown and now your hosts, Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, John Mashoda and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: Go Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: For the second time in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: It is a victory Monday.
Speaker 2: On Talking Cowboys as the Cowboys absolutely dismantle New York.
Speaker 3: And no, it's not deja vu.
Speaker 2: It was toppling giants in week one, it was air traffic control in week two. But the Dallas Cowboys come out on top over the New York Jets. Thirty to ten on Sunday, Welcome into Talking Cowboys. Everybody presented by a Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee.
Speaker 3: Of the Dallas Cowboys, and they had their.
Speaker 2: Black Rifle Coffee getting going for a three twenty five kick on CBS. Isaiah Stanbach, Nick Harris, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeomans, gentlemen. I mean it was another dominant game from Dallas. That's really all you can say it with. And they did a phenomenal job from the jump, getting out early and taking advantage of it as.
Speaker 3: The game went along.
Speaker 5: Yeah, kind of the same things that we saw last week, just a different script. You know, last week it was the defense and special teams helping to get out to the big lead. This time it was the offense. They win the coin toss, they said, give me the ball, and they drive down the field and get seven points right off the top, and then you know, from there the defense was able to settle in. Michael Parsons got another early sack, the defense with takeaways in the fourth quarter where they were just dismantling as you said, and just to help put the final statement on this game. But man, all three phases are looking so good right now. I mean we could look at, you know, the offense, I would say the red zone is a little bit of a concern. I guess we'll get to that at a point. But the offense, there's so many good things to be able to pull away from. There's so many quick game action that they're able to, you know, enable that things are looking so great with. And then on the defensive, side, I mean pointed anything, things are looking great. And then special teams Brandon Aubrey five for five on field goals and Jerry Jones we got ourselves a kicker. We do we do, so all three phases looked great yesterday.
Speaker 4: I like it. Complimentary football. We talked about it a lot yesterday on the post game show. These guys are coming out and taking care of business, right, Dyj. That was an old model I had when I was playing for other teams. But DYJ, do your job, and that's what all three fasts of the game they're doing. Whether it's Mike McCarthy call on players, whether it's dan Quinn Taine care of business, whether it's Bones Fossil making sure his guys are fully capable of delivering their portion of their contributions as well. Offense, defense, Special team. I love it. I'm sure we'll get into a lot more in depth, but this is all good stuff.
Speaker 2: I think the most impressive part to me is the fact that it has been so.
Speaker 3: I mean, just game plan to a tee in Week one.
Speaker 2: You wanted to get up early and then be conservative on offense and take care of the football.
Speaker 3: Check check check.
Speaker 2: This game it was more so a bit of a dogfight, at least in the first quarter, or at least more than it was in Week one against the Giants. It wasn't like it was really mono amano, but it was at least a challenge there. I mean, it was eighteen to ten going into the halftime break, and you felt like at least the Jets had some sort of momentum that didn't carry over because time of possession took the air out of the football. Dallas led the time of possession forty two minutes in fifteen seconds.
Speaker 3: That's an unbelievable number, second most.
Speaker 2: In a non overtime game in Cowboys franchise history. The fact that they were able to control the time of possession against the team like the Jets that wanted to do the exact same thing. They beat the Jets at their own game, and they flex their muscles in doing so.
Speaker 3: And that's what's most impressive.
Speaker 2: To me, taking the best thing that the Jets do and just completely throwing it out of the realm of possibility. And they did the same thing to the Giants in Week one.
Speaker 5: Man we talked about it last week. The tandem of Breeze Hall and Dalvin Cook. Like we expected that there were going to be problems there and you just kind of had to weather the storm and force them to throw the ball. They didn't have any problems. Eight rushes for sixteen yards between the two and Zach Wilson was forced to throw the ball very early on, and then as the game went on when he was they didn't have a choice, then it got really out of hand. But man, that rush defense, and I think it starts with DeMarcus Lawrence. He was all over the place yesterday and run defense, even Micah Yeah, and even Micah got first, yeah yeah, getting in the backfield and he was throwing guys around. Jonathan Hankins was great. Even Mazzi got in there a little bit, Ohsa Togezua. I mean that whole defensive line. Man, it seems like every single person on that line is taking a step forward. And I think what's most impressive is DeMarcus Lawrence being able to do that. Because we talked about so much at camp, you know, kind of it was like there was one side of the coin that it was like, Okay, where's the Marcus Lawrence here? When we were an Oxnard. There was another side of the coin that was, like, you know, he's putting up some of the highest energy numbers that he's put out since Mike McCarthy has been here. They keep talking about him, every staff member does. And we're starting to see that manifest with the Marcus Lawrence. He looks great out there. But again, that whole defensive line that they've taken a step forward, and you can clearly see that.
Speaker 4: I love the fact that box got checked because that was the one question mark that you had on this entire team, not just that box. That's I mean, your bubble guts are gone. You know, the bubble guts are gone. They're gone, Kyle and I had them. They were there, right, it was it was a faint bubble gut, but it was still there.
Speaker 3: Right, It's still we're drinking water. You were still you're still clinching tight, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like you know, so, I'm just saying like you had that feeling because you were unsure, they were unproven. Now, all of a sudden, the New York Jets come in there, and they have two dogs at running back, and they have an officeive line that's not the greatest office line, but these guys they work well together. Okay, So with that two headed monster, you had a test. You had a test in front of you, and they went out and they ate the test. I mean, these guys had sixteen rushes sixty four yards. Shut them down. That is a shutdown when you have a breest haul In, a healthy Breeze Hall, and a healthy Dalvin Cook and you shut that entire unit down and you forced them, like we talked about last week, to get out of their game plan. Once you get out of your game plan, you're playing from behind against the Dallas Cowboys. Good luck. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The only time they found success running the ball was Zach Wilson escaping the pocket from that last drive in the first half, but it was really just because of what they were trying to do defensively. You know, there was more I guess pushback from the back secondary, so he was able to kind of find some runn lanes. I think he ended up with thirty rushing yards on that drive alone, So that's half the total. You take that away, then.
Speaker 4: Off he had five for thirty six out of the sixty four. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean you take that away and that's nothing.
Speaker 2: And also the sixty four just in its numbers entirely, that would have been the third best total in terms of rushing yards allowed in the entire twenty twenty two season. The only two times that they did better in that time was the wild card game against Tampa Bay they allowed just fifty two yards rushing, and then earlier in the season thirty eight yards against the Los Angeles Rams against a really a depleted Rams team in that Week five matchup last year, So two times last year Dallas was better in terms of run defense. That they did give up one hundred and eight yards on the in the first game, but really a lot of that came in the opening drive for New York and then as the game had already gotten out of hand and things just kind of turned over.
Speaker 4: For me in the rent. Yeah, oh yeah, interesting.
Speaker 2: But that's that's the thing, is like, that was the one I don't know, that was the one knock. That was the one Achilles heel. Yep, no, no pun intended. Sorry, Aaron Rodgers. That's not don not a joke though it is a different conversation, not a joke. The the whole point of this defense was they could not stop the run. But my goodness, if you're passing, you're you're either going to get it picked off or you're getting in pressure. So there's there's parts seven. But now you don't have that. You don't have that weakness at least through the first two games through So this first two games with a healthy defense and the way that they're playing after it, they have not shown a weakness defensively.
Speaker 4: I like it. I like it a lot.
Speaker 5: I want to read a quote from U from Michael Parsons. I'm trying to find it specifically right here. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 4: He was bold in some statements.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I asked him. I asked him in the locker room yesterday just about this rush defense and being able to limit those guys to just sixteen yards. He said, to all those teams with those game plans, run at me, run at whoever we coming. Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So did you see them there?
Speaker 2: Did you see him quote tweeting division?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I saw m quote Johan Johan Dotson throws up two and oh and Mike had just quote tweet and said, we coming.
Speaker 5: I think there's maybe be a little bit of Penn State love there, just because you know they both went to Penn State. There might be a little bit of a friendly rivalry there, but still, I mean that's looking at it from the outside and looking at it on paper, it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: I think for the most part, this is a this is a dangerous defense. They've got all three levels to it, and I mean, which part is it just no doubt? Defensive line?
Speaker 3: Is that no doubt? Because the secondary had.
Speaker 2: Three interceptions yesterday to a lot of that down the stretch. But has the defensive line been the one that set the tone and led the way.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. It starts up front and even in the fourth quarter when they were able to get those interceptions and the dam just completely fell in. For Zach Wilson, it was because they were just applying pressure. He had to get the ball out a lot faster than he wanted to. You could look at that throw that Malie Hooker got down the sideline as a good example. He was just having to kind of throw it up and hope that I believe it was Garrett Wills could get down there and Hooker was just waiting for it. So that was an example. I mean, the Treyvon Diggs pick was an example. Jaylon Curse pick was an example. It all starts up front and Stefan Gilmore and Trayvon Diggs, they'd be the first people to tell you that too, Like they understand that the ball is coming out a lot quicker this year and it's only going to help them.
Speaker 2: And that's the other part of it, is the offense doing their job, keep the defense fresh. Defense was only on the field for seventeen minutes. Do you think they get like half a game check this week?
Speaker 4: Because was it forty one snaps?
Speaker 3: I think yeah, forty one snaps?
Speaker 5: Yeah. Do you know what Traybon dig said? He was like, I don't like it. It's like, do you like the time of possession battle being what it is? You know, somebody had asked him and it was all like a peppy like hype question. He's like, no, I don't like it. I want to be on the field. He was like, but it's a team win.
Speaker 4: We won, so whatever, right, I mean, if you played a full game, so let's just flip it on its head. Okay, Let's say that the Jets had eighty some eighty was eighty one plays? I think Dallas had eighty one snaps? Okay, and you had this defensive front of the Dallas Cowboys break it up. Say it's four and we're about three, I'll call it three defensive lines deep. Let's say that. Okay, we really like four. Yeah, but everybody gets everybody gets what twenty twenty plus plays? Yeah, yeah, I can. You can play twenty plays. I can give you everything I got twenty plays, no hesitation whatsoever. I'm giving you all everything I have. These guys had forty snaps total, were in the whole game if they played the entire game. So some guys who were rotating in maybe got ten snaps.
Speaker 5: Michael probably only got like twenty five snaps. Twenty five snaps.
Speaker 4: Give me five minutes like that is the that's a nightmare. That's like me watching Freddy Krueger and freaking problem child.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: All at the same time, when I was a little kid, that's not what you want to face.
Speaker 3: You you are.
Speaker 4: Your only hope is that you get a stay in your game plan or b wear them down enough where they're tired. Neither neither are happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it isn't happening for defense or for opponents in general. I think it also goes back to the game plan that Mike McCarthy has set aside, and I think he deserves a bunch of credit. I think Dan quint does too. I mean, it's almost like you have two different head coaches. You have the head coach for the offense and the head coach for the defense, and both of them are doing their jobs exceptionally well.
Speaker 3: Right now. The offense had their struggles and we.
Speaker 2: Will talk about it in the second segment about the red zone and converting on drives, finishing on drives. But there's also a conservative nature to this offense of let's not do anything too outlandish, let's not do anything to turn the football over. This is the first time in franchise history the Cowboys have not had a turnover, not committed the turnover in the first two weeks.
Speaker 4: Do it, do it? Thank you, yep, But it's there.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a stat first two games of the regular season, first time that the Cowboys have ever had two straight turnover free games to start a campaign. So they're taking care of the football, they're driving with the football.
Speaker 4: You just got to finish them drives.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got a little bit of luck not turning the ball over. Yesterday it looked like sauce Gardner had that he would still be running right now. But nevertheless, this offense, and we've talked about it at nauseam at this point, this offense is predicated around, you know, getting things out quick, having quick reads, and when those things are manifested, it creates say football, and it puts the ball in situations where they can't where they can't have turnovers. There was a situation in the first quarter yesterday where Tony Pollard had a ball from Dak Prescott that kind of got him like right here, and there was a tackler right on top of him, and I just immediate PTSD was like, he's about to tip this up and it's about to be a pick six. But he hauled it in. It was good, It was fine, Everything was dandy. But I guess that was the only thing that I could look at yesterday aside from the sauce Gardner near pick six that I was like, Okay, that could have been trouble last year, but this time around it worked out. So maybe it's luck, maybe it's game plan. It's a little bit of both, but it's worked so far.
Speaker 2: Okay, here are the snap counts for the defense going back to that conversation we just had. There were four players that played one hundred percent of the time, Layton vander ash jy Ron Kurse, Stefan Gilmore, Travon Dicks.
Speaker 3: All of course off of that second.
Speaker 2: Level, then you've got Malie Cooker, he played forty four of the forty seven snaps. Michael Parson's played forty one of the forty seven. Then it's a significant drop off. So it went from one hundred for those four players than ninety four for Elie Cooker eighty seven for Michael Parsons. The next man up, Deron Bland, played fifty five percent of the snaps. So the outside of that, Osaiti Gizua, DeMarcus Lawrence each played fifty one percent.
Speaker 3: Of the snaps.
Speaker 2: Everyone else on defense played under fifty percent of the.
Speaker 4: Snaps, under twenty some other snaps.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, the next highest is Bland at twenty six. He was the first one in the twenties, and then it was twenty four to twenty four to twenty two and then on down.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you do moresh you do more running than that when you're just doing conditioning on your regular workout days. Yeah, like just just being real, just being real, like it's easy work. That's beyond easy work. There's a thing called a one o six that coaches like to do. Right, one o six you run across the field, and you run back across the field fifty three and a half yards. Kay, one o six You got it? Okay. That is conditioning. You usually run about fifteen to eighteen of those, depending on who your coach is and how tough he wants to be there. I made you run, I mean I ran all of them, king around eighteen. Absolutely. Sometimes you gotta do itthing, you gotta do it in thirteen seconds.
Speaker 5: He did two twelves he didn't do.
Speaker 4: But you run more in conditioning then those guys ran on the field. I mean, you're talking about Michael Parsons having what he has to run. Maybe if he goes straight from his defense and position straight to the quarterback. People were talking about.
Speaker 2: Six yards gets, there might be.
Speaker 4: Five, yeah, five to six yard burst, and if the quarterback escapes and he has to run him down and force him to throw an interception to one of your defensive backs, you're running maybe twenty yards. So they put that in perspective. We're talking about conditioning is substantially more difficult than the plays that they're actually running in terms of demand on their body.
Speaker 5: The first sack that Micah had where he just shot out of a cannon. I would love to see how fast he got on that play because he was shot out of a cannon. He came out of nowhere and almost took Zach Wilson's set off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no way you defend that.
Speaker 5: There's not.
Speaker 4: I mean he's getting back there in about one and a half seconds. Yeah, so can give you the I don't know if you could really zoom in. We can't zoom I'll count it. Ready, here we go three two, one boom, snap Sack said, let's do it one more time. Let's do what beamers aw those that are watching, Okay, those are listening. Here we go. Ready, snap Sack. That was a little early, said okay one point four to four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. Just too quick, that is it? I mean, how do you even process?
Speaker 4: You don't Okay, you don't, you don't, coyle.
Speaker 5: Okay, you hope you have something pre snap that you can throw as soon as the ball.
Speaker 4: You hope you have a Lamar Jackson. Yeah, you hope you have a Lamar Jackson that can just take off and go, because that's the only thing that has hurt this Cowboys defense to date in the first two games. The only thing that's hurt this Cowboys defense is a quarterbacks ability to drop back catch the Cowboys doing a stunt on the front line, they leave a little gap on the front on the front line, and then the quarterbacks are able to put their foot in the ground, take off and get what they can. That's all that's hurt this defense so far. Yeah, So if you don't have that capability, that those characteristics, those attributes as a quarterback, all right now by by then.
Speaker 5: So do you worry about Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 4: I believe that their approach will be similar to that. I mean, they're gonna they're gonna do what they did last year and they're gonna do zone read. They're gonna do that. They're gonna make the defensive end slow down. They have to. That's I mean, that's the best strategy. But every team doesn't possess that ability. That is not within the offensive scope of most teams. Right those guys are gonna do that well, that's what they do well.
Speaker 5: So you have the game plan for that, and they're not gonna see that until Philly. Yeah, the quarterbacks coming up, I mean, no disrespect to them, but they don't have the mobility that obviously Jalen Hurts has.
Speaker 2: I mean, the quarterbacks coming up, they would have that mobility if Kyler.
Speaker 4: Murray was available. But it's gonna be Joshua Dobbs. The closest thing you're gonna come to that is going to be. I mean, and again this is not even from the quarterbacks perspective, but you know week five against San Franz, because they do so much moving, they do so much pulling, so much misdirection. That's gonna be the only thing that I could see on terms of the upcoming opponents Arizona and New England that are really going to slow down these guys on terms of their rushing.
Speaker 5: And Debo's getting involved in the backfield again. So it's going to be a backfield challenge for sure. I think you're right, it'll be a similar challenge. But as far as having a mobile guy, no, you're not going to see that until Philly.
Speaker 2: Week nine when we come back. Though, I want to talk about finishing drives. How big of a concern is it that Dallas was unable to finish multiple drives. You ended up with five field goals for Brandon Aubrey. Great work, great stat great job by the rookie kicker from Plano. But it wasn't necessarily something that was welcome from that offense. How do you look at that as a problem moving forward or is it even a problem moving forward? I think that's a big debate amongst Cowboys nation right now. We'll talk about that when we come back. This segment was brought to you by a Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan.
Speaker 3: We'll be back with more talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was relying. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure. It's not complicated.
Speaker 7: Five G requires compatable planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash by g for you for details.
Speaker 8: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team. Go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. That's Black Riflecoffee dot com. To fuel up.
Speaker 2: Today, Cowboys fans. After that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay. Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 9: Okay, there's our Met Scott rowdy cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his.
Speaker 4: Bank of America mobile banking app.
Speaker 2: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 9: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com slash can't stop banking Everica.
Speaker 3: It's only available in the English language.
Speaker 2: You must download the latest version of the Mobile Banking app, only available on Sole like mobile devices.
Speaker 3: Message dat raids apply. Remember FDIC.
Speaker 10: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 5: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 2: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 11: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being the shoulder.
Speaker 3: To cry out?
Speaker 10: Okay, this one's easy. I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 2: To the Talking Cowboys, this portion of the Talking Cowboys podcast is brought to you by Quaker Oats, a super trusted super food Quaker Oats to the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Kyle, how.
Speaker 5: Get out of here?
Speaker 3: Corny? All right? What we I mean? We had some fun.
Speaker 5: Chair before you turn put like a face card of John here When you should do that.
Speaker 2: Actually, I know Beamer is ready for them. We got to get a cut out. We need to cut out, put them right there. That would be funny, all right. Defensively, the Cowboys at the tone. Defensively, they did everything they needed to to really enforce their will on the New York Jets control time of possession.
Speaker 4: They had four.
Speaker 2: Takeaways, most of those laid in the game, but by for the most part, it was stopping the run. It was lowing down Zach Wilson and forcing the Jets to punt.
Speaker 4: Who do you get the MVP two on defense?
Speaker 2: Oh man, Micah, Well, I mean we got to do smelly stickers out of that, right.
Speaker 4: Sorry, So we'll talk.
Speaker 3: But guess where the hell I guess where the helmet is record or coming?
Speaker 2: I'm Harrison's Yeah, I'm gonna be like Michael Parsons getting up there. Uh. I want to talk about the offense though, because there is a bit of a debate amongst Cowboys Nation twitters down right now. But other than that, there we've seen.
Speaker 3: The debate already. Was it okay to see.
Speaker 2: Conservative play calls and points every time that Dubtless got into the red zone? As opposed to finishing off drives.
Speaker 4: I'm of the.
Speaker 2: Thought process that it's okay in this scenario because it's what the game called for get some points continue to roll.
Speaker 3: My one concern is.
Speaker 2: Moving into the future when it is a part of the game and the scenario is there they stall out and they aren't able to rely on just field goal points to win tight For Nick, what did you think about the red zone efficiency for this offense and what it looked like once the field was significantly shorter, how they stalled that on multiple occasions.
Speaker 5: So I want to start with Week one, three for five on red zone opportunities in scoring touchdowns, and of those three opportunities, I believe two of them they needed a third and goal situation. Yesterday two for six scoring touchdowns once getting into the red zone, I need to go back and watch the film to figure out what exactly is the problem. But once they get in short yardage, things become a lot more difficult, and I think part of it can be attributed to the fact that you've played really good interior defensive lines back to back weeks, guys that are really good in run defense, and a second level too that when they're not backed up five to ten yards, they can really come downhill and they can put a pop on you. You know, I feel like both of the Giants and the Jets are able to do that well. So maybe there's a little bit of a I guess, healthier play against Arizona, but short yardage run haven't been completely encouraged by it just yet. You know, I love what Tony Poler was able to do on the two point conversion. Hunter Lucky really paved the way for that one and got got his nose dirty in there and said a good block. But you're not gonna have that every time, just because personnel is not gonna always call for Hunters Lucky to be in the game for those kinds of situations. The only bright side I guess you could pull away from short yarded situations up to this point is they've been able to get the tight ends involved, whether it be Jake Ferguson, Luke's schoonmaker. They even handed it off to Peyton Hendershot and he completely missed a wide open hole for a touchdown. That's besides his point, but they've been able to get the tight ends involved, and it's been on first and second reads at times the Schoonmaker touchdown that was not his first read, but the play was designed where he was able to be open and kind of leak out and give an option for Dak. So I think the pass game in short yardage or in the red zone has been has been good, but they also have utilized ced Lamb, and I feel like he's he's at his best in the red zone because he's gonna put guys in a situation where they're gonna be five yards away from him as soon as he breaks. I believe it was the pass on third down where Dak was trying to hit Jack Ferguson in the back of the end zone. Ceedee Lamb was wide open in the other corner of the end zone. It's just Digg didn't see him. So get Ceedee Lamb more involved, maybe pave the way a little bit more for running opportunities in those short yarded situations. But I guess that's the one concern I could pull away from these first two games. And granted, yes, it's seventy to ten the score at this point, but whenever you get in those those Dog five games against Philly or San Francisco and you need those points in the red zone, They're gonna be tough to come by.
Speaker 2: I think that's the biggest concern for me is against the Jets. Whenever you've had scored opponent seventy to ten, you can look at it and say it's nitpicking, and it is to a certain extent, but.
Speaker 3: It's not always going to be like that.
Speaker 2: You're going to face good defense. Is good front San Francisco in the week five is one that I've got circled right now.
Speaker 3: Because you will.
Speaker 2: I mean, New England's got a really good defense, don't get us wrong, You'll see them in two weeks. Cardinals aren't the same team that you just played back to back weeks. You should handle the Cardinals in week three. But with the New England defense looming and the San Francisco defense looming, and we know what Philly brings to the table, you're going to face good fronts like you have in weeks one and week two, but you've got to find a way to get through that and to be significantly more efficient. This is the team that was number one in red zone efficiency last year, number one, and that was one thing that Kellen Moore was really good at. And I'm not saying Mike McCarthy's bad at it by any stretch. I just think he's been very conservative and it's a little bit concerning. If it continues. Right now, it's fine, but it's one of those things where it's not Kyle.
Speaker 4: It's not fine.
Speaker 3: It is fine.
Speaker 4: No, it's not Kyle.
Speaker 3: They are two and zero, they've won the game significantly.
Speaker 4: No, the overarching goal, yes, is fine. However, as an offensive coach, you want one hundred percent you get to the red zone. That is his goal. His goal is to be one hundred percent. We get down there, we score touchdowns. They hate kicking field goals. They'll take field goals, but they hate taking them up. They being the effect that their goal is to go ahead and score touchdowns. So from the coaches perspective, they are not satisfied with two out of six, not even remotely. Even if they had one more k percentage wise, fifty percent in the red zone's pretty dog gone good. Okay, that's not going to be acceptable for this staff either. So yes, it would get by these lower tier teams, these less competitive teams, but it's never going to be okay in the coach's eyes. So whether coach McCarthy has been quote unquote successful in that regard to date or not, He's going to be finding ways to make sure this ball finds his way to the end zone every single time they get down there.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you this, this team has become a lot better when looking at just perspective down the road. They're planning for January and February more so this year than I feel like they have in recent years. And if you look at going five for eleven in the red zone with touchdowns, if you go five for eleven over the course of two weeks in the playoffs, you probably don't win one of those games. That's a fact. And again we're nitpicking. It's only the first two weeks. But I just want to see a little bit more success there. I want the short yardage running to be figured out. I want to get more guys involved in the past game inside the twenty.
Speaker 2: What did you think about the tight ends and the way that they fared outside of just the red zone and the touches that they had there, because that talked about it in the week confidence boost for the tight ends who had multiple drops in Week one, and that was the one position that I think Cowboys Nation was looking at and saying, Ah, we probably need a little bit more from you at some point. What did you feel like they played.
Speaker 3: Like in that game?
Speaker 2: And I mean the two touchdown grabs were nice, but that was really about all they had from a production.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did expect a lot more production from Jake Ferguson, but I think it was just kind of taking what was given to them, and what was given to them was a great game from CD Lambs.
Speaker 4: So that's true.
Speaker 5: When you have wide receiver one that's able to get open like that, man, it's you know, I'm not going to nitpick that by any means because I feel like whether it was blocking or just getting open or setting guys up, the tight ends did fine. I'm not worried about how they played yesterday from a production standpoint, Yeah, maybe expected a little bit more, but I'm not worried about it after that one. I would have been worried about it after week one.
Speaker 2: Do you think not having Brandon Cooks, even just as a pass catching threat, affects.
Speaker 3: How the tight ends are utilized? Or is that mostly just.
Speaker 2: What is what has come from a pass distribution standpoint, getting everybody. I mean not having Brandon Cooks is always gonna affect you in some regard. But it's the next man up, you know, mentality, And the reality is coach mccarthurs and Dak they're both doing a great job and shoddy of distributing the ball. And when you can distribute the ball to everyone, Now, as a deep, as a coordinator, who do you have.
Speaker 4: To worry about everyone? Right when you realize that everybody can hurt you right now? I ever seen and obviously see He's gonna get his his share. He's gonna get far more than other people. That's that's a given. That's always going to be the goal. Get your number one play maker the ball in his hands. However, every single person on this roster has touched the ball. When you think about guys that are going out there are expected to catch the ball, all the tight ends, all the running backs, Lipkey's involved, I say he's an invold because he' blocking. Okay, so all the running backs that touched the ball, Okay, all the receivers that except for Brooks. Brooks got out there, and it was at least at least.
Speaker 3: Some forlock Edge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'm just saying, like everybody's involved, like they're not this This is not a team offensively that just has guys on a roster just for just in case he's putting everyone out there. If you're on this roster, you're gonna make it. And you're on the game day roster, you're gonna make a contribution. There was times in my in my career, a lot of times where if you're on the team like you were just there sometimes you know, depending on who you were, like you might not touch the field even if you were on the game day roster. Yeah, even if he were active, even not here, not here, like you better be in the game plan because you're playing on offense and not just you're not just here to be a special teamers and a number six receiver. You're not here just to be the fourth running back and you know, be a personal protector or whatever it might be on special teams. Like you're gonna play and you may be ready to contribute.
Speaker 5: You brought him up, so I have to say it. The Hunter Lokey play of the day was the block that he laid in front of a Rico Dawdell off of He got it out in the flat and Rico picked up about fifteen twenty yards. So every Monday, I think I'm gonna have a segment one hundred lucky play of the day.
Speaker 3: That was it. You You brought them up in the first segment too. Don't think of it. Yeah, you spring.
Speaker 5: I don't even remember. Man, it's like second nature.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, it's just a voluntary, involuntary reaction. Nine players with a reception. Ceedee Lamb had eleven for one three. Again, Ceedee Lamb is is just on another level. Tony Pollard had seven receptions for thirty seven yards. Jalen Tolbert had three catches. Dawdell had a catch. Deuce Vaughan had three catches. Ferguson had three catches. Turpin, Gallop and Scoon Maker all had one.
Speaker 4: Everybody, yep, everybod wives hide kids, we hit everybody.
Speaker 2: Getting Six different players had a rushing at ten. Tony Pollard said a career high with twenty five carries a lot.
Speaker 3: Did you like that?
Speaker 4: I do like that? Actually, okay, I mean especially when you think about the fact they had over eighty eighty snaps. So I'll take twenty five from them from Tony Poller is.
Speaker 5: The most touches a Cowboys running back got since twenty nineteen against the Jets Ezekiel Elliott. Interesting funnel nugget there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think he handled the workload? Well, he didn't necessarily light up the stat sheet. He didn't hit the home run ball either like he normally would.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had a couple that he squeaked through and you know, got off for about fifteen yards but less than three yards of carry. I'd like to see a little bit more efficiency there, but that goes back to short yardage stuff as well. Just being set up in those situations a little bit better too.
Speaker 3: What do you think about the offensive line?
Speaker 2: Isaiah chumdoga out in the early parts of the game.
Speaker 3: TJ.
Speaker 2: Bass had to come in and play a significant number of snaps.
Speaker 4: I just think that these guys are regardless of the position, but obviously office of line position, next man up is being proven right, Todder Smith goes out, Chumadoga comes in, takes care of business right, holds his own against a very tough interior Devenson line. Last week with the Giants, all of a sudden he goes down. Now TJ. Bass comes in handles himself. Well, you know, I think he could have done matter, But obviously he's young, right handles himself against another very dominant interior defensive line presence. So you know, shout out to you know, Mike Salari and what he's done with this group so far. You know, it doesn't you should. You should yearn for the bit to be in a position where it doesn't matter who comes into the game, you're still gonna be able to execute. And that's where this offense is right now, especially across the offensive line front. Dallas Cowboys fans don't know what it feels like right now to have their starting offensive line out there and you're still put up seventy points in the first two weeks.
Speaker 5: I love what you may Doga did overall. And even when TJ. Bask got in, he had his moments, but man, I think it was his third snap Quinn Williams said, welcome to the NFL, buddy.
Speaker 2: Well, he laid his seal block to play before that. It was it was for a first down. Came and pulled and just boom, laid the edge. I forgot who the tailback was, it was either Pollard or Dubdle snuck right in behind him and then had a first down.
Speaker 5: It was deuce.
Speaker 3: No, No, I think it was not. I think it was doubtle. Okay, okay, I want to say it was doubt I can.
Speaker 2: Go look at the play specifically and give you, give you a confirmation.
Speaker 3: But he turns around and then the next play he.
Speaker 2: Gets thrown into the backfield, and it was like, okay, like the ups and downs, here comes the roller coaster of a rookie, undrafted free agent. I liked what Bass had to play or had to do when he played. Adoga played forty five snaps.
Speaker 3: TJ.
Speaker 2: Bass had forty two, so he got a significant amount of work. I mean when Adoga went down, I.
Speaker 5: Didn't realize he played that much.
Speaker 4: He played.
Speaker 5: I knew he played quite a bit, but I didn't realized it was.
Speaker 2: Nearly half the nearly half the offensive snaps, of course, and we've talked about it already. They took eighty plays on offense, so there's a lot of snaps.
Speaker 4: Saying yeah, it's a lot of snaps, all right.
Speaker 2: When we come back here on talking Cowboys, give us a text eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight Who does your scratch and sniffs Melly sticker go to this week? Who is your Cowboys Player of the game. We're gonna give ours Next. We're going to allow for you to vote for the fans won the fans voted for Trayvon Day last week.
Speaker 3: Who do they vote for this week?
Speaker 2: Eight point seven two nine zero three two nine eight Smelly Stickers coming up next On Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 11: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 8: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list?
Speaker 3: Forever?
Speaker 8: Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry.
Speaker 3: About your coffee supply.
Speaker 8: Go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the coffee club today.
Speaker 2: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 2: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 6: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 7: Five G requires compatable planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by invisi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Back here with Nick Harris, Isaiah stand back, Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 3: Why are you flexing?
Speaker 4: Feeling very mica is today, Kyle?
Speaker 3: Because you get the lion on.
Speaker 4: That's right, you see that right there, Breamer, that's right, the lion you see it? Yep, all day long, baby.
Speaker 3: I see it is free advertising.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I say.
Speaker 4: Well come from Mark Kyles.
Speaker 3: Yeah you do. You do have an excuse you do? It is a great, great cause too. I like it.
Speaker 2: All right, It's time for smelly stickers. Send us your player of the game for the Dallas Cowboys. The text line eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 4: This man right here is different. Do you know what this man worked out the morning of his wedding?
Speaker 5: M yeah, I do know that craziness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fun. It was really fun.
Speaker 4: Man. Man.
Speaker 2: Uh, we're gonna get some of these smelly stickers. I see some votes for Deuce Vaughan, Tyler Biadish. There's a lot of texts coming in, so get your vote in eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 3: You guys can sift through it, all right. I'm gonna let I'm gonna let Isaiah start this one.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's gonna throw me a smelly sticker because I think you you started?
Speaker 3: Oh wait, who started last week? I did, and they.
Speaker 5: Started last week because I didn't know the stickers were tired.
Speaker 3: Do you want to do you want a redemption to start?
Speaker 5: No, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Tis some time to.
Speaker 4: Think about it.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: You gotta learn the stickers. You gotta learn the palettes. Yeah, I'm gonna get some new ones. I promise I'll get some new ones this week, some new flavors. Yeah, those are the same ones from when we started this tradition two years ago.
Speaker 4: All right, what you got? All right? I'm having too crazy here, Okay, I already know where you guys gonna go. I'm not gonna take it. I'm not gonna take the alley oop one I might I know, I'll leave that one up for you. But you know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna grab him. Grab this banana right here. This is a banana right there. Not a plantain. It's a banana. You know why I grabbed a banana. It's not a plantain, not a plantain, bud. It is a banana. You know why?
Speaker 3: Why is that?
Speaker 4: Because mister d Law is going bananas. M He's going bananas. He is setting the temple. I know a lot of people are saying that Michael Parsons is sitting the temple right now, but d Law is quietly setting the temple for this defense and everybody else is benefiting from it, including Michael Parsons. So d Law, you going bananas.
Speaker 2: You know it's funny. I walked in this morning and he was the first person he was. He's already done with his workout. He walked out of the building and he had his breakfast in his hand and on top of this to go box. Guess what what he had? It was a banana.
Speaker 4: Bana, that's right.
Speaker 2: A banana.
Speaker 3: I'll give Nick some some extra time.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 5: I'm ready, I'm ready after So I'm gonna I'm gonna peel off this this beautiful lime here.
Speaker 4: It's it's a.
Speaker 5: Bright, bright green. And you know what this bright green represents for me. It's a green light for this past rush to do whatever the heck they So, I'm gonna give it to Parson's Bangs, who is definitely the leader of that past rush group yesterday.
Speaker 3: It's a green light, a green light.
Speaker 4: I love it. Let me see the location. Let me check out the location.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you put it right there, right on the front.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it looks right, green light just to everybody sees it. Green light bang.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm gonna go with an apple. This apple right here, I'll see that.
Speaker 2: It looks nice, right, big shiny red apple, snow white apple. It does look like a snow white apple a little bit. But here's the thing with this apple.
Speaker 3: What do you what?
Speaker 2: What a teachers known for right teach knowledge, knowledge, passing that knowledge on what happens whenever a student and really the students to collectively as a group, what do they do whenever they like a teacher?
Speaker 3: They give them an apple? Right.
Speaker 2: The old adage of teacher and an apple at the desk, right, correct, Well, that teacher's Mike McCarthy, and Mike McCarthy's been teaching this Cowboys offense how to execute a game plan. It's not always perfect. Neither are students. It's not always perfect, but they're teaching and they're learning, and there's lots of learning going on with that Cowboys offense. So I'm going to give this one to Mike McCarthy this week. Mike McCarthy are sticker. We've got a ton of votes. I might have to spend like an hour going through it. You can send your votes in eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight. We'll get John Machoda's smelly sticker tomorrow. I might as well just leave this in here so I don't have to run up again.
Speaker 4: But even though you did set a record today, I did.
Speaker 3: Set a record, Yeah, quicker than Michael Parsons.
Speaker 4: Oh is that a challenge?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, it's no, no, no, no, no, no, not at all all. Right, from week one going into week two, where was the biggest level of improvement? I asked you that question last week of what do you want to see as an improvement for this Cowboys team. Where do you think they did improve from their first game to their second game?
Speaker 4: I say offensive efficiency, That's what I would say. I think they were highly efficient in their execution of their offense. I think there's obviously there's still a lot that he has in a bag, which I love because in recent years we've become accustomed to a lot of things being thrown out there and being wild and ooh la lat in the first couple of weeks, but Mike McCarthy has kept probably majority of his supplies in the bag, and I love that. But I mean, you talk about the efficiency rating of DAK you know, going eighty one percent passing, I mean talk about getting out of the huddle, guys getting up to the line of scrimmage knowing what they're doing, getting eighty plays off That is insane. That is college football type snaps. When you talk about no huddle type office, and these guys are actually getting into the huddle or that of the Dallas Cowboy So this is this is a highly efficient offense right now, and I'm loving it.
Speaker 5: I'm with that. I think third down efficiency was something that was especially awesome to see in the first two plus quarters until things just kind of got out of hand and then third down efficiency kind of stepped back a little bit. But seven for ten that's what they started for third down efficiency with during the game yesterday, and I believe in week one they went six for thirteen overall on third down. So that and then getting more guys involved. Nine guys with the reception yesterday six and week one, So just getting your playmakers involved, and especially Brandon Cooks not in the equation either. It would have easily been ten guys with a reception if he was on the field. So yeah, getting everybody involved and slowly increasing everything across the board, whether it be Dak's completion percentage, third down efficiency, et cetera. You know, you love to see those things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the efficiency was the number one.
Speaker 2: I still keep going back to that turno or the time of possession stat. I think time of possession stat is nuts. To control the ball for forty two minutes, that's pure dominance. I mean, that's the way that you want to get the job done. I think there's there's still ways that this offense can improve, especially in finishing and drives, and we'll talk about that. I think going into the week and against Arizona, that's going to be a great opportunity to do so because they just don't have the same front seven that the Giants and the Jets do. But you're also just trying to make sure you keep that moment I'm going on offense and still moving the ball. They've been able to move the ball nicely. They've moved the ball significantly, but you got to find a way to finish drives. That's kind of the one thing, the one knock against this team right now is you got to finish all right. When we come back tomorrow, we will be taking your calls eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. We will start lining those up very early. You can also call Nick Eatman's Cowboys storyline. By the way, congratulations to Nick Eatman. Five hundred Same covers, Big five Oho, five hundred games covered. He hit that five hundred mark yesterday. We got to talk about it a little on Pregame Live and it was a it was a cool moment to get to celebrate for Nick. And he does a phenomenal job on his new podcast. We give him a call eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. He goes live at ten am Central Time.
Speaker 3: Here in just a couple minutes.
Speaker 2: But for Isaiah, standback Nick Harris Chris Beam in the back, it's a Cowboys victory Monday again on Talking Cowboys as they defeat the Jets thirty to ten. We'll see you tomorrow with more Talking Cowboys from The Star and fristcas how.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.