Speaker 1: Like I've been thinking a lot about, you know, the difficult decision of having to decide if you want to take an out Ford plea, if you want to take any kind of plea.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I was put in that situation, would.
Speaker 1: I stay in prison to fight for my innocence knowing I might never get out or take a deal get out and then you can't fight for your innocence after that.
Speaker 3: It's a literal Sophie's choice, Maggie, right. I mean, you have this intense pressure. You know that they have the ability to say, hey, we're going to leave you sitting in jail at prison for a year or two years or more while you await your retrial. Many, many strong willed and brave and brilliant people have taken the plea because there's really no way out and they just want to go home.
Speaker 2: Want to get out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have to go home.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I didn't comprehend that I was going to prison for the rest of my life. I'm thinking to myself, are you saying that I can never be with my parents again. I can never go back to my bed, you know, my home. So I'm losing on my friends. I mean, all this is going to be taken. Are you kidding me.
Speaker 5: From lava for good? This is wrongful conviction with Maggie Freeling today. Lakwanda Fay Jacobs. On the evening of February ninth, nineteen ninety two, Kevin Gaddy and Tony Davis were walking down the street when a car pulled up. A man and a woman got out and held them at gunpoint. They demanded the jacket Kevin Gaddy was wearing. It was a Chicago Bulls starter jacket. In the nineteen nineties, these satin jackets were a status symbol. As Kevin was handing his jacket over, a struggle ensued was shot in the chest. Around the same time, Lakwanda Fay Jacobs and her mother were on their way to church when they saw police commotion near Fay's house.
Speaker 2: They stopped to see what was going on.
Speaker 5: As Faye got out of the car, an officer approached her and asked her who she was. Fay was instantly arrested and taken down to the police station for questioning, but she had an alibi, and the woman they should have been looking for was at least fifteen years older than Fay. But it didn't matter. Fay was eventually charged and convicted of the murder of Kevin Gaddy.
Speaker 4: They knew all alone that I was innocent, but just wanted to use me as an example to other young juveniles. Therefore, I was railroaded into the system. I am Lakwanda Fae Jacobs nineteen ninety two, arrested for capital fellowy murder of a friend of mine.
Speaker 5: Mkwanda Fay Jacobs was born in Little Rock, Arkansas, on February twenty second, nineteen seventy five. She was the baby of a big family, six boys and six girls.
Speaker 4: I was always picked on by my older siblings, but I consider myself stronger than my other siblings, even though I was a baby. I come from a great family. I was raising the church. My dad was started off as a deacon in the church and ended up becoming an assistant pastor. And I was deeply involved at the age of four years old.
Speaker 5: Facing in the church choir, and was an outgoing child and teenager.
Speaker 4: And I'm just a people person. That's just the type of personality I've always had. I was a friends with everybody from church people. I even had friends that were gang members, you know, just a typical teenager. I had fights, I had boyfriends, I did a lot. You know, That's who Fey.
Speaker 5: Was, And like many kids, she had lots of different visions for her future.
Speaker 4: I wanted to be a nurse. At one time, I wanted to be a beautician because I loved doing my doll's hair, you know, so of course I was like, I'm going to be a beautician. My grandfather was a barbara and my grandmother was a beautician. I even dreamed of being in the army one day. But then later on, as I got older in my teenage, I was like, nah, I don't want to go do that. You know.
Speaker 5: In high school, she played on the junior varsity volleyball team, and she says she was incredibly popular and other students looked up to her.
Speaker 4: I dreamed of graduating, going to the prom, going to dance, and you know, I could have possibly been the queen because I was so popular. But you know, those are things that will rob from me, that opportunity.
Speaker 5: On the morning of February ninth, nineteen ninety two, sixteen year old Fay got up and went to church to attend service. It was Sunday and she had planned to sing at two services that day. Afterward, her mother picked her up from the house Fay rented with her brother. They got back to Fay's mom's apartment at two pm. Fay's friend picked her up shortly after that, and they ran some errands, including to the laundromat and back to.
Speaker 2: Her friend's house.
Speaker 5: He dropped Fay back at her mom's place at around five point thirty. Her Sunday was pretty packed.
Speaker 4: I had another service to attend that night. My mom and I were going to singing at another church.
Speaker 5: Fay's MoMA wrapped home shortly after and found Fay relaxing on the couch. Fay was still in her white church clothes, but at the same time, over a mile away, a situation was unfolding that would change Fay's life forever. Seventeen year old Kevin Gaddy and his friend Tony Davis, who was fourteen, were walking down the street when a gray car pulled up. A man and a woman got out. The woman had a gun and they demanded the jacket. Kevin Gaddy was wearing a Chicago Bulls starter jacket. As Kevin was handing it over, he put his hand in his coat pocket to get his brush. That's when things got messy and the woman shot Kevin in the chest. On their way to their second church event of the day, Fay and her mom passed the crime scene right outside Fay's house, so they stopped to see what was going on. As Fay got out of the car, a police officer grabbed her.
Speaker 4: And I was instantly through on the car put in handcuffs. At this time, I didn't know that a shooting had occurred. I was already hancussed. Once I said who I was and that I lived there too as well, at the house that they were at. I was put in the back seat of the car and taken to the Little Rock police apartment. Not knowing what is going.
Speaker 2: On at the precinct.
Speaker 5: The police asked Faye if they could do a gun shot residue test on.
Speaker 4: Her, and so after my gun residue was negative, they was like, well, we're gonna let her go home, you know. And he's like, if you hear anything about a shooting, let us know, And I was like, who shot? What is going on?
Speaker 5: It wasn't until days later that Fay learned it was her friend Kevin, who was shot and killed outside of her house.
Speaker 4: Kevin and I were both the same age, but he was a few months older than me, and he was real known for his scooter and his skills with basketball. I always, even as a kid, I used to say, you're gonna go big, Kevin, you know, because he was so good at basketball, you know. But like I said, from kindergarten to seventh grade, him and I went to school together.
Speaker 2: Kevin was pronounced dead less than an hour after he was shot.
Speaker 4: And it was so unbelievable because I knew he was such a good kid, He was a good friend, and it was just very devastating to learn that he had been shot.
Speaker 5: During their investigation into Kevin's murder, police found at least eight eyewitnesses who saw the shooting. The descriptions of the woman who fired the gun varied, but most agreed she was in her thirties with scars under her eyes, and that she was wearing dark clothing, including a black hat. Tony Davis was the eyewitness closest to the shooting, and on that very day described the woman as quote black, mid thirties, approximately five foot eight, heavy build, medium complex, wearing a dark ski cap and bluish gray jacket and pants.
Speaker 2: With frizzy hair. Yet Fay, a young teenager.
Speaker 5: Wearing entirely different clothing, had already been to the police station and been questioned. So investigators had her photo and showed it to witnesses. Five of them said Faye was not the shooter. Tony Davis was shown a picture of Fay and two times, once on the day of the crime and again four days later. He was unable to make an identification. But then nine days after the shooting, the police brought him back in and again they showed him a photo lineup, and this time he identified Fay as the shooter. They had absolutely no idea what was going on.
Speaker 4: I was going to school and this day I wasn't feeling will and I was at my sister's house and my mom called my sister and said, the police has come to my job looking for for murder. And I was like, murder. I haven't killed anybody. And so my mom came to my sister house. We called my dad, we called my pastor, and we went to the police station just to clear my name, you know, to tell them I haven't did anything, you know, I mean when I tell you, I had no clue that I was even a suspect, and you know, and that could be what. I was so young, but I didn't commit the crime, so why would I even think that I'm a suspect. I had no knowledge of it. And so we went to the jail to clear my name, and at that time they arrested me. They did not allow me to clear my name. They arrested me and charged me with capital felity murder and set my bun at one million dollars. Okay, I'm sixteen, and I'm like, I had never been to jail before in my life, and so I am scared. I'm very scared.
Speaker 5: This episode is underwritten by AIG, a leading global insurance company. AIG is committed to corporate social responsibility and to making a positive difference in the lives of its employees and in the communities where we work and live. In light of the compelling need for pro bono legal assistance, and in recognition of AIG's commitment to criminal and social justice reform, the AIG pro Bono Program provides free legal services and other support to underrepresented communities and individuals. Before trial, Fay was appointed public defender James Kluet to represent her. At the time of his appointment, Kluever's representing a client by the name of Sean Riggins. As it happens, Riggins and his brother had been among the witnesses on the street when Kevin was murdered. Two weeks later, Riggins was arrested for an unrelated crime. At that time, he ended up telling police that he'd seen the shooter and that she was actually younger than thirty, closer to fifteen or sixteen. He was the only person to say that, and when investigator showed him a photo spread of suspects, he identified Faye as the shooter. Now this part gets a little confusing, so follow carefully. Not only as Faye's attorney James Cluett representing two clients involved in the same case, a clear conflict of interest, but he also asked Faye to lie for Shawn Riggins. Faye was in jail with a woman named Bertie Walker, one of Riggins's co defendants in another case. Cluette approached Fay with an offer. He asked her to say that Bertie had told her she committed the crime alone. In exchange, he said Riggins would not testify against Faye about Kevin's murder, but favor rejected the offer, She refused to lie and asked for a new lawyer. She was appointed attorney Bill MacArthur. James Kluette was eventually disbarred for separate issues. Fay's trial started a year later in April nineteen ninety three. A man named Clifton Thomas was originally charged with Faye as her alleged accomplice, but the charges against him were eventually dropped.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to court and I'm like, are you serious? I can't believe this. Why are they doing this to me? And the judge keeps my bond at a million and he states we're charging her as an adult. I couldn't believe that this was happening.
Speaker 5: Prosecutors Howard Coopman and John Miller presented no forensic evidence linking Faye to the crime. They relied heavily on the eyewitness statements of Tony Davis, who was with Kevin that evening, and Sean Riggins. When fegoes to court, news media is everywhere. She says the case was high profile because of a slew of killings of young people in Arkansas at the time.
Speaker 4: Arkansas was on the rise of gang violence. Back in the late eighties early nineties, and so of course law enforcements was forced to do something about those crimes. So they had a thing called Banging in Arkansas. It was like the Arkansas was like a small Los Angeles with the crips and the bloods, and they had videos and they still had these videos. You can pull them up on YouTube called Banging in Arkansas.
Speaker 5: So I did this is the county corner for Little Rock, Arkansas on one of the films.
Speaker 6: Several years ago, when I saw the death rate was increasing, but the victims were becoming much younger and younger, and began to see tattoos and brands on the victims, and began to notice that the violence just was increasing, and drive by shooting and random shootings and retaliation killings, and it just went on and on. Until nineteen ninety two, we had a record rate of homicides in Little Rock, and it looks we've broken the record in nineteen ninety three, and it's just gone on and on and on.
Speaker 5: In fact, a half hour earlier and a few blocks away from Kevin Gaddy's murder, there was another potentially related crime Around five pm. Little Rock Police Department responded to an aggravated assault where eyewitnesses told police there was a female perpetrator, a male accomplice, and guess what a gray car. It's unclear what happened with that case and something else related to this crime. To help you understand, starting in the late eighties, sports starter jackets were a hot commodity. An article in The New York Times from February of nineteen ninety discusses the phenomenon, calling it quote an increasingly pervasive kind of urban crime by young people willing to kill for clothes end quote. They cite that at the time these jackets went from ninety to two hundred dollars, which today would be about two hundred to four hundred dollars, So Kevin Gaddy becoming a target for his jacket that night was not necessarily unusual at the time. However, Fay's attorney failed at making a case that Fay was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and that she did not commit the crime. Faye was able to testify on her own behalf, however, and she tried to make the case for herself that she did not kill her friend.
Speaker 4: In my little mind, I'm thinking that you know, as soon as I go to court, I can just tell the judge that I didn't do this, and you see, and I'll go home. But the reality, that's not how it works, you know. But I didn't know that. I really believe that I was going to get out of there.
Speaker 5: On April twenty first, nineteen ninety three, Faye was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to life without parole.
Speaker 2: She was just sixteen years old.
Speaker 4: I didn't I didn't comprehend that I was going to prison for the rest of my life. You know. It was until I got back to the jail that the jailer told me, you know, you're not going to ever get out. You know, you're going to jail, you know. And so I was broken inside, you know, had been ripped apart. You know. Are you telling me? I'm thinking to myself, are you saying that I can never be with my parents again. I can never go back to my bed, you know, my home. So I'm losing all my friends. I mean, all this is going to be taken. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: Fay's world had turned completely upside down.
Speaker 4: I had many days of crying. So when I was first put in, I was put in a cell all by myself because I was sixteen. But days later I was sent to an adult place because I was charged as an adult, and so of course I had adults tunt me and bothered me. I had even got jumped on it in the county jail, you know, because of this high profile. And that's the juvenile that killed the guy for his jacket, you know, that's how it was labeled. And so I would go to my room, I would cry. I wouldn't let people see me cry because if they saw that, that a show a sign a weakness, and they would really take advantage of you and do things. But yeah, I was very scared.
Speaker 5: Eventually, Face settled into the prison environment, and just like in high school, her outgoing personality and love of people got her through. By the time she had been there for several years, she had started making a name for herself as a generous person to those coming into the system.
Speaker 4: And so a lot of ladies come in there and they don't have the headphones and things like that, so I always had extra so I can share with the other ladies, you know.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and nine, Tiffany Woods came to prison.
Speaker 7: I was incarcerated for Dwis. So they had moved me in the barracks with f A. And in order to watch TV, you have to have a radio. Well, I didn't have any family outside, you know, to actually send me any money to buy me a radio. So I've seen Faye just all bubbly playing games and stuff, and I was like, excuse me, ma'am, can I borrow your radio? And so she was like, yeah, it's over there on my bed. So that started our friendship.
Speaker 5: Faye and Tiffany hit it off, and when Tiffany got out, she promised Fae she would write her.
Speaker 4: You know, being in prison, you meet people and people tell I'm going to write you. I'm going to support you, you know, all the way, and so you hear that all the time, and I have been let down so many times. Well with Tiffany, Tiffany left and she wrote me and I was like, oh my god, this girl really wrote me. And then she sent me a phone number and said I could call her. And I could not believe it because that was something that had never happened throughout my whole incoserration to be able to have contact with another resident that had once been there.
Speaker 7: A small loyalty.
Speaker 2: If I tell you I'm going to do something, I'm going.
Speaker 4: To do it.
Speaker 5: Tiffany and Fey maintained their friendship over the years, all the while Fay fought for her innocence. She filed appeal after appeal after appeal for reasons including in effective assistance of counsel face As her second attorney, Bill MacArthur, failed to meet with her before trial and failed to file any discover for emotions or conduct an investigation. He failed to show why Fay could not have committed this crime, starting with the description of the shooter. The shooter, according to Tony Davis's testimony at the trial, was a black woman with scars under her eyes and light brownish red curly hair peeking out of a black hat, and she was wearing a big winter coat and pants. This description does not fit Fait at all. She had no scars under her eyes, was wearing white church clothes, and her hair was in a top knot.
Speaker 8: For folks who were very familiar with black hair African American hair, she couldn't have gotten her hair up into this very smooth, beautiful top knot if it had been a red curly dew under a cap just hours earlier.
Speaker 5: Right, this is Trisha Bushnell. She's the executive director of the Midwest Innocence Project known as the MIP.
Speaker 8: But none of those things ever come out, none of those things are ever investigated or brought to the jury's attention. You know, when you look at face case and you look at the evidence, you can really just think there's really no good evidence here, right, You can look at it and say, there's no good evidence. So how does she get convicted? Well, part of it is it's just racism, pir and simple, right, But you have a system that has a young black girl up there and the state is saying she did it, and what does that read like to jurors?
Speaker 5: The bias appears to have started with the cops who arrested Fay on the spot, and Fay feels strongly that there was racial profiling involved. Trisha is currently Phase attorney. The MIP took Phase case in twenty fourteen when they reviewed it and realized it's stunk of a wrongful conviction.
Speaker 8: So there's actually were a lot of witnesses to this crime. And when we went and talked to people, five other people who actually also knew Fay, So it was not her, including Shawn Riggins's brother who was standing with him at the car and said we couldn't see anything from where we were at the car.
Speaker 5: Shawn Riggins, remember, had told police that Faye was the shooter, but he ultimately did recant his identification.
Speaker 8: And that was the basis of few evidence that we used when we filed a federal habeas petition asking them to overturn face conviction.
Speaker 2: Filed that in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 5: The MIP also brought up in the appeal the four additional eyewitnesses who said the shooter was not Fay and who were never called to testify at trial. However, before a judge could respond to the petition, there was a new development. In twenty twelve, the United States Supreme Court ruled in Miller Verse, Alabama, that juveniles cannot be sentenced to mandatory life without parole like they was. Those who have received this sentence are entitled to a re sentencing hearing. But Fay had a difficult decision to make. If she was resentenced and released based on the time she had already served, she could not fight her innocence claim. And remember, there were two people involved in the crime, a man and a woman and a man was originally charged with Fay.
Speaker 8: And we know in the co defendants case, when his attorney asked for discovery, they dropped the charges. So we wanted to know what was it, specifically from the crime lab. And rather than giving us that, they gade an offer of time served. And that is when Fay then had to make a really difficult and horrific choice of you know, do I want to keep pursuing my innocence claim in this federal court.
Speaker 5: If she did, she could lose the deal to be released based on time served. So she had to choose accept this chance to be free, knowing she would remain a felon or stay in prison and continue the potentially never ending fight for her own exoneration. On July sixteenth, twenty eighteen, they accepted the time served offer and walked out of prison.
Speaker 4: To walk out of those gates. Oh, it was such a release that I was like, oh my god, I am out. Oh. Yet I had some emotions because I thought about the ones that I was leaving behind, and that was the life that I knew because I'd been there for over twenty summers. So you know, I had these mixed emotions. Yet I was so happy to be home with those that had been fighting to get me out and be around people other people.
Speaker 2: One of those people was Tiffany.
Speaker 4: She was gone ten years before I ever got out, But that whole ten years she was out, she constantly rode me, send me money, just was there for me faithfully, And that was something that I had never in my life experience. I had no one to be so genuine, authentic. It was just unbelievable. I was like, they don't make people like they make Tiffany anymore.
Speaker 5: Tiffany and Fay's relationship developed into a romantic one. These days, they traveled back and forth to see each other. Fay lives in Kansas City, Missouri, and Tiffany out in rural Huntsville, Arkansas.
Speaker 7: I am country. I would rather to be in the woods than the city.
Speaker 4: Do you bring her to the woods, Yes.
Speaker 7: As much as possible, But and then she takes me to the city, Like, we have a fishing trip planned here pretty soon, so I want to have to go get our tent.
Speaker 5: Wow, how's how's being in the woods house camping?
Speaker 8: I don't picture you as a camper.
Speaker 2: I am not.
Speaker 4: I am not. That's her and so where she lives, Huntsville, population seventy five. She's been there all her life. I don't think I would ever live in a country town like.
Speaker 5: I wish see your face right now.
Speaker 4: But uh yeah, hopefully in the future Tiffany and I could. We would live together and have our fur babies and the babies that you know that I desire to have it. We could be a big family.
Speaker 5: They and Tiffany hope to have a family someday. But since Dave was resentenced and released, her conviction still stands, so she's technically still a convicted felon.
Speaker 4: Because of this felony, I cannot adopt, which is heartbreaking. Yet I'm hoping to maybe possibly have a surrogate, so that's to go, and if not, my niece hopefully they can have babies for me something like that. And I also have three amazing babies. They are two Snauzers and one tiny teacup Chihuahua that are my babies.
Speaker 5: But as of adopting, life has been hard with the label convicted felon attached to her, even with the support of the MIP.
Speaker 4: When I do go for interviews or go to apply, I'm given a letter that you know, she's actually innocent of this crime, yet we're still fighting to clear her name, and so it helps in some aspects. But I've been denied Howsen in spite of the letter. So sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Fay currently works as a receptionist for Chevrolet in Kansas City. She also advocates for other wrongfully incarcerated people and is on the board of an organization which helps formally incarcerated women returning to society. Fay's only shot at exoneration is now clemency, and her first clemency petition from Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson was denied. She cannot apply again for another eight years.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm just so happy to be free. Yet I'm physically free, but I'm not free.
Speaker 5: If you want to help Fay, go to change dot org and type in Faye Jacobs to ask Governor Asa Hutchinson to pardon Faye.
Speaker 2: Next time.
Speaker 5: On wrongful conviction with Maggie Freeling Hank Skinner, I'm.
Speaker 8: Sitting there looking at that gurney and if you're fixing to put me on, and I could see it through the door, the handed door open, I could see the microphone.
Speaker 2: I could see the straps.
Speaker 6: Arm boards, and how was absolutely convinced that I was fixing it now.
Speaker 5: Thank you for listening to Wrongful Conviction with Maggie Freeling. Please support your local innocence organizations and go to the links in our bio to see how you can help. I'd like to thank our executive producers Jason Flamm and Kevin Wurtis, as well as our senior producer Annie Chelsea, researcher Lila Robinson, story editor Sonya Paul, with additional production by Jeff Cliburn and Connor Hall. The music in this production is by three the time OSCAR nominated composer Jay Ralph. Be sure to follow us on Instagram at Wrongful Conviction, on Facebook at Wrongful Conviction Podcast, and on Twitter at Wrongful Conviction, as well as at Lava for Good. On all three platforms, You can also follow me on both Instagram and Twitter at Maggie Freeling. Wrongful Conviction with Maggie Freeling is a production of Lava for Good Podcasts in association with Signal Company Number one