Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty arm Strong and Jetty and no he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 2: Well, guys, the White House is doing damage control over the military group chat scandal, and today the reporter who broke the story published all these screenshots from the chat YEP. The most humiliating part of the group chat is that some of the text messages were Green who was an Android? Yes, say what you want. This never would have happened under Biden. For starters, he didn't know how to text, So I mean.
Speaker 3: That would never hurt. And we can hear from a lot of people. Get a little montage of Republicans who are in office who aren't happy with the way this thing is played out. How would you be particularly this one. This is Roger Wicker. If you don't know who that is, Senator Roger Wicker. He is the chairman of the Armed Services Committee, which is a pretty big position, and he's a Republican from Mississippi, that is Trump country. And he said, the information is published recently appears to me to be of such a sensitive nature that, based on my knowledge, I would have wanted it classified. If mistakes were made, they should be acknowledged. It's hard to look at that list that came out yesterday and think that's not classified, or those aren't war plans as opposed to battle plans, or however you're parsing it if you're the Secretary of Defense, right, which is only keeping this story alive, which leads to this. This is Brit Hume. He's their senior political analyst over there at Fox. On how to handle a scandal.
Speaker 4: There as some fairly well established rules, if you can call them that, for how to deal with a situation like this, and the first is get the facts out as fast as you can and don't be afraid to take responsibility. I actually think in the early going the administration did pretty well on that score. You know, Mike Waltz was the fourth right saying that he took responsibility, and the president was as well, go on. But then the second rule is don't feed the story. So you know, once you've got you've made your case about what happened and you're maybe waiting for the information to service, just stop talking about it. But this administration got itself bogged down in this debate. About whether there was war plans in there or not, whether there was classified information there or not. And then you had Telsey Gabbert on Capitol Hill Force to say that, well, you know, this is the kind of information that was in that conversation that should be classified, and so that just kept the story going. And the Democrats, of course, are having a field day, and so.
Speaker 1: Are the media.
Speaker 4: And the other thing they did is they attacked the journalist. Look, I'm not a particular fan of of Goldberg or of his magazine, but he didn't do anything wrong here. He got that thing sent to him passively, he didn't do anything to get it, and then when he reported on it, he left out a lot of the details. So then they attacked him and said that he wasn't telling the truth about it, which just gave him a reason to release the details, as he did this morning. So Rule one doing okay, Rule two not so much.
Speaker 1: I have a number of thoughts on that.
Speaker 5: Number one addressed to the people who are thinking or writing, emailing, texting, Well, you guys are part of the problem. If you'd stop talking about it, it would go away. That's not true. It's just factually not true. It's a big story and there is some substance to it. And as Jack put it earlier in the show, we talked about stuff because it's interesting. I mean, it's not one hundred percent cheerleading all the time, and this is a really interesting story on a number of different levels. And secondly, what brit Hume said, the the the title to that screen is how you make scandals go away so you can do the important stuff and handling it completely wrong. But Armstrong and Getty just don't mention it. That's not going to do any good.
Speaker 3: I thought this was an interesting take from Mark Alpern in his newsletter today. However, Jeff Goldberg got on that chat. The impact has been to give the White House a full week to do stuff effectively below the radar, as distracted democrats in the dominant media focus almost entirely on the signal stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh wait a minute, eleven dimensional chess. Well, I don't think it was there feeding this intentionally. Now, I don't know.
Speaker 3: They certainly didn't do it originally on purpose. I don't believe that at all. But at this point does it bother them to have it the number one story with it probably can't go any further damage is done, and then you do other stuff below the radar, whether it's you know, doge stuff, or Department of Education or whatever.
Speaker 5: Defund NPR, turn the screws on the college's.
Speaker 3: Doge stuff. Like you said, Yeah, interesting thought, Grab up more Venezuelan's and ship them out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, judge said no to that. More on that topic later, yet another judge. So, I don't do you want to play some clips. I don't want to hijack this. I've got a couple other takes that I found interesting.
Speaker 1: No go ahead.
Speaker 5: I mean, like Miranda Devine, who writes for The New York Post, really smart, really funny, snarky, very pro Trump headline, Mike Waltz's Signal Gate blunder is a hard lesson to be learned for Trump's winning team. There's no getting around the fact that Signal Gate was a blunder in soccer terms. It was an old goal, totally unnecessary screw up that set back the Trump team. But the team is still winning and the opposition is still in total disarray and fighting among themselves. Let's hope lessons have been learned. And then she goes into a fair amount of detail. But that's the long short of it. This is a piece from townhall dot com. Avoudly conservative, is it?
Speaker 1: Phil? Or Kurt Schlichter, who's.
Speaker 5: Always dependable for some good magas stuff, understand that no one outside of Washington, DC or Twitter cares about some journalists getting mistakenly admitted into a signal thread at all. The Democrats think they've finally found something they can seek their teeth into after two months of unbroken failure and humiliation. But it's a pretty pathetic morsel. Real people don't care about it. I think that's true.
Speaker 1: What do you think to a large extent it is?
Speaker 5: I think the part of America that pays attention to news is aware of it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they're aware of it.
Speaker 3: But do you think most of America's just gotta have a scalp? I mean, if Hegsift doesn't go, whor Walls doesn't go, they're just not gonna be I know. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: I would agree completely, And that's Phil's main point. Actually anticipated it beautifully. The issue here is not about operational security. Our enemies want to pretend it is because they can think they can use that to hurt the Trump administration and strip out one or more of his close advisors. That's one hundred percent trough. They want a trophied amount on their wall, and they're demanding firings and resignations. I demand the pound, Sand and you should too. We're done playing the two tier system of accountability where Democrats do whatever they want while Republicans eagerly submit when our enemies demand their heads. Nope, not doing that anymore. The two tier system accountability is done. The way you make sure it's done for good is you don't play along with it.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, screw with us, you get screwed with back. They're bad actors and they don't get to win. I would agree completely, and I've never called for anybody's head. I think Mike Wilis is a good, decent and very smart guy who has nothing but America's best interests at heart.
Speaker 1: And all they have to say is, yeah, we screwed up.
Speaker 5: We were investigating how Goldberg got on the thread. We're going to increase our communications security, apologize for the mistake. It was a great strike against some evildoers. Let's get on with protecting this great country.
Speaker 3: We're done well to the double standard of being held accountable for various things. This from the Babylon Bee who often really gets it to the truth through humor.
Speaker 1: What a crazy approach, It'll never work.
Speaker 3: Hag Zeth kicking himself for not just getting thirteen soldiers killed and giving eighty billion dollars in weapons to terrorists. Yeah, for instance as a scandal where sec death didn't get fired.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, kidding in the mainstream media wasn't in quite the feeding frenzy they are right now, It's absolutely true, And so I get it when people are frustrated that we're talking about what a screw up it is, because they feel like, you know, of course we are screaming about the Afghanistan stuff too at the time.
Speaker 1: Now it's we want to win.
Speaker 5: We want the good stuff to happen, and for our side or the Republicans or Trump or whatever not to screw it up.
Speaker 1: Anyway, We've got a good flip side.
Speaker 5: I'm told, Oh, Mark Meadows, bring in the heat and clip number forty four, Michael.
Speaker 6: The Democrats are in no position to lecture anybody on national security. It's not just about the southern border though, when you look at what they've allowed to happen and to be complicit in it. They're in no position to lecture President Trump, Secretary Hegsaff or anyone else that was involved in this particular successful mission.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 5: I think Trump is just temperamentally completely unable to admit a mistake and move on. He's on attack, attack, attack mode always, whether he's accused of, you know, touching somebody in a department store or whatever. I just I don't think it's productive here unless it's the smokescreen thing that you're bringing up.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I get the double standard thing, and it's very, very frustrating, but I would like to just have better governance. So hey, secdef don't come out and say these.
Speaker 3: Aren't war plans and act like how dare you even suggests they are when they clearly are right for the people of.
Speaker 1: The United States.
Speaker 5: Let's put down the partisan fight, because again, if conservative America and the people who represent us don't screw up, we're gonna win many, many great victories.
Speaker 1: And that's what we're saying around here. Hey, quit screwing up. Got some good economic news that just broke. We'll get to that in a second.
Speaker 5: But that's bad news, because good news is bad States who will raise the lowering of the inverse protractor of the interest rate substitution principle. Anyway, quick word from our friends at Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: I Joe love the biz ball.
Speaker 5: I love the baseball so much since I was a tiny little kid. Baseball season officially underway. Don't miss your chance to add your favorite players from the diamond and your Prize Picks lineups. And it can be strikeouts, RBI's first inning runs. Take your pick more or less is all you have to estimate for your show to win up to a thousand times your cash today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's opening day for baseball. The second half of the basketball season is here. And what's interesting about Price Picks is you can mix and match player projections from different sports today. If you want to so get into all of it, download the Price Picks app today.
Speaker 1: And young hipsters that includes e sports.
Speaker 5: What yeah, I'm telling you so, download the Prize Picks app today. Use the code Armstrong. They will give you fifty bucks instantly after you play a five dollars lineup. That's right, you play five to give you fifty to play around with. Use that code Armstrong. It's the Prize Picks app. Prize picks, Run your game. Prize picks, Run your game? How about this headline?
Speaker 3: Patient dies from rabies after organ transplant from infected donor. So I go get a new liver, but you give me a liver from somebody who had rabies.
Speaker 5: That doesn't seem good. Do you get to choose yes or no on the whole rabies deal? Chiem, Many'll take you a liver. I mean I really need one. But how about somebody and Dan got the rabies? I didn't read the fine print? Who beys the price? Did a crazed squirrel break in and attack the donor? And nobody noticed or want?
Speaker 3: That's an interesting story? Are the good economic news and a bunch of other stuff on the way?
Speaker 1: Stay here to Supreme Court.
Speaker 7: In a major ruling trying to stop suspected felons from getting untraceable so called ghost guns. In a seven to two decision, the High Court upholding the Biden administration policy the such guns can be regulated by the federal government. The regulations for some companies that manufacture gun part kits to place serial numbers on their products and to require background checks on customers trying to purchase them. It also mandates that people buying such kits be at least eighteen years of age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Supreme Court ruling seven to the out of control maga illegitimate court going with the gun rights or the anti gun advocates.
Speaker 5: I think you know all you need to know about the West when or the left rather, I'm sorry, I'm trying to read and talk at the same time about the left when they howled and gnashed their teeth about how Trump was tearing down the institutions of our country. As Chuck Schumer, the leader of the Senate the Democrats, was screaming that the Supreme Court court was out of control and Kavanaugh would reap the whirlwind in the rest when they are perhaps the smartest, most decent, reasonable, constitutionally loyal Supreme Court we've had, maybe ever.
Speaker 1: That's all you need to.
Speaker 5: Know coming up? Are you boomer asking your friends?
Speaker 3: They resent you for it and wish you would stop, and you don't even know you're doing it? What is boomer asking? I guarantee I don't know I'm doing it.
Speaker 5: So has nothing to do with being a boomer, by the way, it has to do with boomerrangs.
Speaker 3: So I was just reading the Wall Street Journal's version of the so called peace talks between Ukraine in Russia and their breakdown leads me to believe that there ain't really hardly anything there at all.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. I had the same take.
Speaker 5: It's like when I would go over, you know, fairly thoroughly the analysis of the two state solution and the talks between Israel and Hamas and all, and I would say, this math does not work.
Speaker 3: There is no solution here. One dale exactly the same, one paragraph. Quite a weighs down in the story in the Wall Street Journal. Secretary of State Marco Rubio acknowledged the difficulty yesterday, saying that the talks over a ceasefire are still exploratory and that the US wasn't able to fulfill Russia's demands. Okay, so then we're nowhere. Sounds like the meat. No, no, we're uh.
Speaker 5: It's a meeting of people who are pretending to be serious about negotiating.
Speaker 1: That's how I would describe it.
Speaker 5: I think Ukraine is serious, given certain pretty reasonable param meters in my mind, and putin says of those parameters, no, not for a second. So there's the math doesn't work. There will not be a solution. There hit you with this real quick.
Speaker 3: The US economy expanded at a healthy according to ABC News, a healthy two point four percent pace during the last three months of twenty twenty four, supported by a year insurgent consumer spending.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 5: I was hoping to do a little kids these days. Bengo, bango, bongo. I don't think we really have time, but uh, interesting coverage on espionage, betrayal, and water guns inside the game driving high schoolers mad Jack Senior Assassin. It's become a rite of passage for students across the country and a headache for almost everyone else. It's a game where and there is an app now where you have a team of people and you target another individual and you quote unquote assassinate them with a water pistol.
Speaker 1: I've heard only speaking, I've heard of this happening, and it's.
Speaker 5: Become such a craze and a major headache for school administrators. And one kid got shot. The shop saw him lurking outside the house with a water pistol and thought it was a gun. The kid got shot in the armies. Okay, but that could have been tragic. Confiously, oh no, this sounds like pretty normal. Run of the mill could have been in the fifties. Hijinks to me, you decide.
Speaker 1: You're gonna were their apps in the fifties.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm not worried about this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's disruptive. And how about the fact that the kids you're not teaching the kids to read? You know, among my concerns, that outranks wearing goggles or swim floaties, because sometimes if you're wearing goggles or swim floaties, that gives you protection against being shot with the water pistol.
Speaker 1: You're not dead.
Speaker 5: But sometimes the administrators of the app turn off those protections to liven things up.
Speaker 1: And get the action gun. That's pretty funny. It actually sounds like a lot of fun. But I don't approve. I don't approve.
Speaker 5: Disabilities allowances the best of intentions. The Americans with Disabilities Act nineteen ninety required schools to offer examinations quote in a place and manner accessible to persons with disabilities, or offer alternative accessible arrangements for such individuals, which can mean more time to take exams than other students. You can use reference sheets, sit outside the classroom to avoid distraction, among other things, and truly disabled students need that support to help them succeed, but where there is an allowance, it will be abused. Twenty nineteen journal investigation revealed that many wealthy parents pay thousands of dollars for their children to be tested for learning disabilities by private psychologists who have an incentive to give the diagnosis their clients want and do it. Your rich high schools have one and a half to two times the rate of disabilities than your poor high schools.
Speaker 3: Your kids got add or whatever the heck they diagnose them with, and they got to get to take their test in the hallway away from everybody, or at home, or with an extra hour.
Speaker 1: So they can get into Yale. Yep, so armstrong and getty say Taplines like this that make me want to get out of the business.
Speaker 3: Coffee from office machines could be a health hazard.
Speaker 1: Just be that desperate for clicks. Let's just put a boob up there.
Speaker 5: It's just they come in pairs generally. Yeah, so, uh yeah, I would agree. I ran into a heart break the last during the last segment talking about the how the accommodations for disabilities has become away for rich.
Speaker 1: People to cheat in school.
Speaker 5: That's certainly not to detract from the actual need of folks with disabilities, but at public high schools in wealthy areas, the percentage of students with access to accommodations is about four point two percent compared to two point eight nationally. So that's another you know, what is it fifty percent? But those stats obscure the worst examples. The rate was one in five twenty percent at Scarsdale High School in New York, the famous one in four at Weston High School in Connecticut, and one in three at Newton North High School in Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Well, you got two things going. The thing you already mentioned that rich parents, you know, perhaps doctor shopping until they find one that diagnoses their kid with something so that they can get special treatment.
Speaker 1: There's that, right.
Speaker 3: There's also, as we've talked about a gazillion times, is there just way more kids that got more problems than used to exist.
Speaker 1: And nobody knows.
Speaker 3: Why, cell phones, plastics, whatever the hell the deal is. And if you can if you got a kid with problems and you can get them, if you can afford a doctor, you're more likely to get a well, you're only going to a diagnosis.
Speaker 1: As suppose if you can't afford a doctor.
Speaker 5: Final note on this tenth grader at a private high school in Massachusetts, the Northeast.
Speaker 1: If you've never spend any time in the.
Speaker 5: Northeast or no Northeastern nurse, you don't understand how obsessed everybody is with getting their kid in the right school, from kindergarten through.
Speaker 3: I read this at grad school. I read that stuff in the New York Times all the time. I think, what a weird world you live in where you think about this all the time.
Speaker 1: So here's a.
Speaker 5: Tenth grader at a private high school in Massachusetts who requested anonymity, estimates that the percentage at her school who get these accommodations is closer to half. In a math class with nine students, she's the only one who doesn't receive extra time on tests. When the period is up, she's called by name to hand in her exam. The other students keep working. How's that even possible?
Speaker 1: She asks one.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine being a teacher. I know my kid's class, and my kid has had some special accommodations with various things when he was in public school. Can you imagine being a teacher and dealing with that? I mean, how do you do your job, whether it's the kids that actually needed are the kids you think.
Speaker 1: I don't think that kid needs any help.
Speaker 3: But it is a long but just the amount of time and effort it would take, though, make it so much harder to do your job right right now, speaking of doing our job, here it is a look in the China cabinet. We're gonna take it and look at a number of important stories involving our greatest geopolitical adversary, China.
Speaker 1: China. China cabinet usually insinuating that it's like plates and cups.
Speaker 5: And bowls, and yet in this cabinet jacket's important stories about China.
Speaker 1: It's correct, it's the giant communist nation China, right, sir, China's it that's undeniable. I'm just gonna hit a few headlines. Jack.
Speaker 5: You may request more information if you like. There are several to hit. The US MISSI launcher that is enraging China. The land based Typhoon weapons system has been deployed in the north of the Philippines. It puts key Chinese military and commercial hubs within striking distance, and hence President Trump an early test of his commitment to deterring Chinese aggression against our allies in Asia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a big deal. I remember when we mentioned this several weeks back. It didn't get any news coverage. I didn't hear it anywhere but where I read it in here. But it's a big deal for China.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh, it's huge. They're enraged.
Speaker 3: It's not quite Soviet Union put in nukes in Cuba, but it's it's in that ballpark.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: In the event of a conflict with China, land based missile systems such as the Typhon could be central excuse me, to defending US allies such as the Philippines, which is classed with China, over Beijing's claims to nearly all of the South China Sea, including like a mile off the Philippines shores, and Taiwan obviously, which they've threatened to take by force if necessary. The Chinese government has responded to Typhon's deployments with alarm, rebuking the US and Philippines for feeling what it called an arms race.
Speaker 3: Shut up, COMMI devils. We got to get Mike Lions on to talk about us in China. We always get him on when there's like a news of the day crisis, and we don't get to talk to the big picture, probably going to define the century story of US versus China, because remember a couple of years ago he said, I believe we in China will be swapping ordinance over in their area within a couple of years.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I would love to do that. Yeah, let's not just do the headlines. Let's take a broad look at it. Speaking of which, Trump takes tough new approach to choking off China's access to US tech. Dozens of entities were added to a trade blacklist, as Silicon Valley threts it will lose business from Washington's curbs. I'll tell you what, Trump so far, at least in terms of China, is not isolationisty at all. He's going right at the Chinese and in this case trying to deny them computer chips and other technologies that the military and intelligence services can use.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, can you imagine dealing with this stuff every single day when you're president of the United States, and then you have to go out and answer questions about in comparison such minor issues. It reminds me, and this was I referenced the Cuban missile crisis earlier. In case you didn't notice it, It reminds me of a quote from John F.
Speaker 1: Kennedy.
Speaker 3: I heard Chris Matthews talk about this one time, but jfk saying, this is the only thing that matters. I mean, who gives an s about the minimum wage? This is what matters. I mean, you know that the various domestic wranglings and this and that, no, whether or not we blow up the whole freaking world.
Speaker 1: Is what we got to deal with every single day.
Speaker 5: So in the Biden administration's final days, it imposed limits on third countries buying cutting edge American ships, hoping to prevent those from getting eventually to China. US tech executive executives have asked President Trump to roll back the limits before they take effect in May, but Trump is appearing to go in the opposite direction China story. According to new report, Chinese nationals are reportedly using the largely unre regulated surrogacy industry in the US, specifically cal Unicornia, to rent the wombs of American women to have babies and take them backs little US citizens to China.
Speaker 1: According to the News Nation renting wombs womb for.
Speaker 5: Rent right in a practice that it's dubbed concerning, not illegal. Unlike other underground industries in the state, like the baby brokers who bring pregnant Chinese women into the country just so the babies are born US citizens, this is paying an American woman to be the surrogate the resulting child automatically US citizen, even if the family immediately returns to China and the US. Acting US Attorney for the Central District of California, Joseph McNally, told the outlet the practice is gravely concerning, and pointed to a case in Irvine where a baby born to a Chinese national end up joining the Chinese military but still had a US passport. If you think the Chinese government isn't subsidizing this, encouraging it getting as many little loyal Chinese communists with American passports as it can, you're a fool because they are fast as they can. It's another one of the forms of all all out, all industry or I'm sorry, all of society war. Another national security story. I wonder if you'll get Paywalled Wall Street Journal had a great piece on China is ready now to blockade Taiwan and here's how they're going to do it, and they have various you know the modern news story whereas you scroll your mouse it overlays different things on the map and has explainers and stuff like that. It's clear that they're ready to go. They're just trying to figure out when they're.
Speaker 1: Going to do it. Wow. Yeah, Yeah, means the world is going to change overnight when all that goes down. Yeah, and rather how old Jeffrey Goldberg.
Speaker 5: Got on the signal list is going to seem trivial.
Speaker 1: Indeed.
Speaker 5: And then finally this the dirty commies are decent at stealing technology and then using it, and they may have come up with something innovative. The Chinese ev maker by D not a K pop band, but a Chinese electrical vehicle maker, has unveiled a new charging system that it says it could make it possible for evs to charge as quickly as it takes to refill with gas.
Speaker 3: Wow, five minutes full recharge. I go over every day after work.
Speaker 1: I drive.
Speaker 3: My Tesla over to the charging station behind the radio station and I do my meditation or return emails or whatever for a half hour while it charges. But it's not the most handy thing in the world at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is going to be something like twice as fast as Tesla's superchargers.
Speaker 1: Wow, it could.
Speaker 5: Be a thousand kilowatts. You can into your car, you know, right at once and charged up. That would make a big difference to a lot of people. But then you would need a network of charging stations extensive enough to I mean, okay, so I can charge in five minutes one hundred and seventy five miles from.
Speaker 1: Here, I don't that's great.
Speaker 3: I don't really know what the appeal of electric cars is. I mean, I have one because it's it's super duper fast. I wanted the fastest car in the world. That's what appealed to me. The electric part, I don't get any benefit, it's only negatives. I mean, if you really care about the climate, I mean, if that's your thing, Okay, it's cheaper than gas. It is cheaper than gas, and I commute every single day. I bought it during the pandemic when gas was seven dollars a gallon, and I did the math, and I mean it was, you know, gonna make a fairly big difference. So there's that it's cheaper than gas. That is not enoughing. But I just other than that, I don't get what the appeal is. Yeah, it's for certain lifestyles, it makes sense. The environmental effect, as I always point out, is far from.
Speaker 1: Indisputably positive.
Speaker 5: In fact, based on the reading I've done, it's it's neutral to negative between the mining, the extraction of materials, the energy that's used to create all of the components in the car.
Speaker 3: Okay, sotly worse for the earth. Okay, So then you're just down to is it cheaper than gas? And you got to do the math on how much you drive and the factor in the pain in the ass of charging and all that sort of stuff to figure out if that's worth it or not.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, to each throne, I say, But I again, I think it's absolutely bitterly, stupidly hilarious that the Left has gone from, especially in terms of Tesla's. Oh yeah, everyone should be mandated to buy one too. I'm set fire to it in the course of six months. Yeah, you people don't come off as insane at all. I wouldn't worry about it now. That doesn't strike people as you're completely out of.
Speaker 1: Your effing mind, no kidding, no kidding.
Speaker 3: Hybrids I could see that catching on with like lots of people having one of their cars being a hybrid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like crazy great fuel economy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you run out of electricity while you're picking up kids and go to the grocery store, is winging to a gas station, put some gas into it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Sure, why not? Again to each their own? Just no freaking mandates. What's boomer asking?
Speaker 1: Do you do this to your friends? They hate you for it and you don't even know you're doing it?
Speaker 7: Do you?
Speaker 1: This is oh my.
Speaker 3: The tenth time I've heard you say this, and I still haven't got the boomer asking Jack.
Speaker 1: That's what we'll be talking about the slightest it's on the way state.
Speaker 3: Johnny Mathis has announced he's retired from touring.
Speaker 1: He was touring, he was alive.
Speaker 3: News to me, and I barely know who that is. I just I remember when I was a kid. They would be selling his greatest hits on cassette or vinyl for nineteen ninety nine, featuring hits such as this.
Speaker 1: When you were a Kid's going back a few yees. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Wow, Well he'll be missed on the contract trail fit suring this year.
Speaker 3: I told Janni we should have gone last year, but your sister was in town.
Speaker 1: He called at the farewell tour. I didn't believe him.
Speaker 5: Anyway, Johnny gone but not forgotten. So boomer asking has nothing to do with boomer boomers. Maybe boomers. It has to do with boomerangs. Boomer asking is asking a question just to talk about yourself.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 5: And people think it makes them seem polite or socially skillful, but it's not. People find it irritating because they feel ignored, irritating or unimportant when their answers are brushed aside, and it's much better to be direct.
Speaker 1: Here's how it works.
Speaker 3: I well, first of all, I don't like when I've done this, and I know that I have. But I'm also a jerk in that when I can tell somebody's doing it to me, I don't play.
Speaker 1: Along because I know what they're doing.
Speaker 5: All right, let me set it up and then I want to know how that works. Okay, So let's say you're grabbing coffee with a coworker and they ask what did you do this weekend? And you respond, and without missing a beat or really listening, you can tell they're not listening. They launched into a long winded retelling of their weekend. Yeah, wait a minute, did you ask me because you care? That was just a setup for your own story. That's right, you've been boomer asked. So it's a three part move. First, someone ask a question, then they wait for your answer, but instead of building on it or engaging with it, asking you follow ups, they simply switch and answer their own question, turning the conversation back to themselves. There are three categories they've identified. Ask bragging, how's your quickly followed by mine was amazing, we were in Tuscany for two weeks. Oh my god, the food, the sunsets, and off you go. Ask bragging bragging. Then there's ask complaining, how's we're going, followed quickly by oh I've had the worst week, Oh my god, my boss just never stops blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. And finally ask sharing in neutral disclosure, like talking about a dream or a casual opinion. Right ask after asking you about yours. At least people who do that are somewhat aware of what.
Speaker 3: They're doing, I guess, as opposed to people that you know they're not even going to do that preliminary thing. They're just going to launch into their story because they can't imagine you have anything to say.
Speaker 5: Ever, Yes, yeah, And that's so You've got like three distinct groups of people. You got the boomer askers who think they're being clever, but they're causing resentment. You've got the bores who just talk and talk and talk about the most mundane aspects of their lives. You know, I've run into some people. They seem to be pretty nice people, but I don't give a single ask what happening at the grocery store. There's nothing here for me. There's nothing entertaining, there's nothing clever, there's nothing revealing, there's nothing shocking.
Speaker 1: There's just nothing.
Speaker 5: And then you got people who try to you know, if I'm going to tell you a story, I try to sweeten the deal by making it, you know, one of the above mentioned the hooks.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I know a boomerasque kids annoying.
Speaker 3: I know a guy I haven't talked to him in years, super nice guy. So I almost hate to tell this story about super nice guy. But he would regularly work into conversations like, yeah, when I was going to college in New Haven, Connecticut, and I know, just because I happen to know this sort of thing, that's where Yale is. And he was always angling toward being able to say he went to Yale. But he was sophisticated enough he wasn't just gonna say I went to Yale, but he was there. I was working the Connecticut New Haven thing, trying to get to some sort of why were you new Haven or Connecticut you say, or whatever? And I know a bit and he never, out of like a dozen times of bringing that up, got the opportunity tell me he went to Yale.
Speaker 1: Not high five, Jack high five. I think that was his whole goal.
Speaker 5: If you ever get stuck behind one of these stories, just drop the famous Jo Getti line.
Speaker 1: Wow that was a great story. Gee shame it's over.
Speaker 5: Well, it's like the old joke, how do you know your new acquaintance went to Harvard? They'll tell you, Yeah, yeah, I really took great pride in finding a way to fnaggle my way out of He never got to tell me, even though I know it there I was in New Haven. I mean camps so crowded. I mean, oh my god, you went to in college? Was it crowded?
Speaker 3: Boy, it wasn't New Haven, not particularly exactly.
Speaker 1: That's what I want. I love that man.
Speaker 3: If you miss an hour and get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand
Speaker 5: Armstrong and Getty