Speaker 1: Hey, this is Kyle Stowers and you're listening to Fish on First.
Speaker 2: Fish on first live Draft reaction stream. I guess we call this I don't even know you. I guess it's something like that.
Speaker 3: Count down in instant analysis.
Speaker 4: There you go, of course on val Territory Network prejected by Jeth he Retles in South Florida. It's been interesting already through the first ten rounds that we have so far. I guess the first four we're pretty expected, and then Curry out going five.
Speaker 2: I think that that has to be a surprise to many of us.
Speaker 4: I mean, has a name that we were looking at the Marlins possibly getting when they pick at fourteen. Just seeing Pacopean go now to the Nationals is another name that the Marlins could have gotten.
Speaker 2: So some names that the Marlins have been linked to are coming off.
Speaker 4: The board just before their pick, with some others surprisingly still there.
Speaker 2: So we're going to Hector.
Speaker 4: I'll go to you first, man, this is your your wheelhouse and Sean, but Hector, you your.
Speaker 2: Thoughts so far on what's gone on leading up to fourteen for Miami.
Speaker 1: I would say, for the most part of the draft has gone just about what you expected. Curry out went a lower early, but I still thought he was a top ten pick. Zion Rose is obviously the biggest surprise. He's a guy that probably could have gone late first, maybe even a competition pick, but he ended up going six overall. The rest has been pretty much what you expect from my top list. A. J. Garcia has already come off the board. That was by number three prospect. He went ninth overall to the Atlanta Braves. I think that's really a nice pick for them. Surprised they didn't go with the guy who is still on the clock and the guy that I didn't include on my list simply because I didn't think it was a possibility. Jacob Lombard, the an infielder from Gulliver Prep. He is still available. The hometown kid, the lefty Geo Rojas, also still available. My number one prospect, Chris Hacopian has yet to be picked. So that you know, there's just a lot going on right now. There's still a lot of really good options. Ace Rees obviously from Mississippi State. It's going to be really interesting to see what happens. You know, the Martins have a lot of opportunities to possibly give one of their top guys.
Speaker 2: See Kevin at the draft of course behind you.
Speaker 4: I know we're going to go to you sparingly because the internet's not cooperating too well with you.
Speaker 2: But talk about the vibes. What's going on in the building.
Speaker 5: It's maybe the lowest the music has been. So you actually got me at.
Speaker 2: A good time.
Speaker 5: Oh, there's gonna be a pick. Nationals are about to make their selection.
Speaker 3: Gus get here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Chriscope in a second basement from Texas. They announced him as a second basement too, which I guess already means something there. And I know Hector was talking about him as a boss moving from shortstop. But no, this is great. This is You could just saw some a ton of fans. Unfortunately I did not see a single Marlins fan. But Billy, the Marlins you're representing. He was food, which was surprising, knowing you know how little people care.
Speaker 6: About this team sometimes.
Speaker 5: But you know, the vibes are good and uh yeah no, so I guess now the Angels are on the clock.
Speaker 2: So good Vitcher in Philly, Yeah, I could jump in.
Speaker 3: I think a great way to I didn't realize that Kevin was gonna be so well suited to get like the mic right in Manfred's face essentially, so we'll have him kind of deliver the actual news itself when when Manfred's ready to announce a few picks from now. So that's that's Joe Doyle's tweets.
Speaker 2: Don't want to look at Joe Doyle's tweets.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, we'll hear it straight from Manfred's mouth when the Marlins pick. So go ahead, can I.
Speaker 1: Can I kep point out something I just realized on the on MLB On MLB TV, they showed the top five available prospects. All top the top three are all from South Florida. Lombard from Gulliver, Jacobean from Stowman Douglas, and and Justin Lebron who played collegeball at Alabama. However, he's from archibisa McCarthy in Southwest Ranches.
Speaker 4: So yeah, some baseball hotbeds down here for sure, especially Archbishop as you mentioned there, Gulliver too.
Speaker 2: Isaac's Douglas the last couple of years on here.
Speaker 4: It's not even on here in the Marlins could get somebody from his high school.
Speaker 2: All of the matter anyways, Uh, Sean.
Speaker 4: We can start reviewing this you know, there's always a question drafting for need versus drafting best player available. The Marlins, i think, in many years, have gone what they thought was the best player available. I mean, you're looking at Lombard here possibly falling. The Marlins don't really need shortstops. I mean, you have many guys in the miners that could stick at shortstop, IVR Cat.
Speaker 2: Being one, and many others. But if he's there, can you go with somebody else? I mean, you definitely can.
Speaker 7: It's also dependent on bonus, right, the Marlins don't necessarily have as big as a bonus as they've had in past years, So maybe Lombard is looking for an overslought deal that the Marlins may not want to make with him. I do think that if there's ever a year, we're perhaps the best player available, and it's probably this year concerning that their their next pick is, I mean, they have two second rounders technically with the comp B pick, so they don't pick for a while. It's not like past years where they've had two first round picks or one one comp A pick. So it's possible Jacob Lombard goes if he falls to Miami. But looking at it now, no picture has been selected, at least as of right now, so the Marlins could have any picture in the draft, which maybe they weren't expecting.
Speaker 1: So Jackson Floorer from UC Santa Barbara went.
Speaker 7: For he did, Yes, he did fourth. Yeah, but everyone else, I mean, GIOE. Rojas is still available, Logan Retamen's available, Liam Peterson is still available. Uh, even Cam Fluki, which some are some are lower on than others, but some really like. He's like six foot six, big stuff. If the college bats continue to fall, the Marlins may be forced to select them that way. But as of right now, I mean, you still have Ace Reese on the board and Jacob Lumbard also a college kid high school kids. Sorry, so we'll see what happens. But I think the board's falling pretty nice for Miami right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean definitely. This is kind of the area where it gets jumbled up. You know, they got the favorites at the top, some of the bigger names went already.
Speaker 2: What's gonna happen when the Marlins are on the clock here? What one pick? Two picks? Jeez, you know, I go ahead, what are you think?
Speaker 3: I just want to kind of echo what Sean brought up a pretty important point that it is a while until they pick again after they make this fourteenth overall pick, even though, like you could look historically, the odds of this type of player turning into a star are pretty low. But in this year, they're a victim of their own success somewhat, and they're also a victim of just the alternating year tough luck in this case where for those unfamiliar, every year the Marlins alternate between a competitive balance rounds A pick and round B, and round to A comes immediately after the first rounds and then round B is immediately after the second. So in this particular year, that affects not only their draft position, but their total bonus pull money as well in terms of what they can get creative and doing. Like even if a really talented player falls well, they have enough money to sign Lombard if you available, they have enough to for a guy that was expecting to go a lot higher. That's it's kind of like a Khalil Watson situation from five years ago. That's the closest comp I could think of it. If it winds up that way, where the Marvels were able to barely get that deal across the finish line, and then that relationship didn't go particularly well at any point for a guy that was expecting to go a lot higher. So that's just one of the variables to keep in mind here with that particular player. If he does fall to them.
Speaker 6: I think the Angels are picking right now, Angels select.
Speaker 3: We're gonna whenever we're going to get these picks, it's going to come straight from Manfred to Kevin to us.
Speaker 2: Angels made a pick. I couldn't even tell you the guys, it's.
Speaker 8: Very yeah, yeah, because so Marls right off. Uh, so we'll see Longmard's still there.
Speaker 5: I think you gotta feel like that best case and they do choose out it seems like the work around is that that could be the case.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 5: But everyone that could be the right choice is still there for at least Old Hacker, Sean and everyone else has said so far, do not choose Justin Lebron.
Speaker 3: Mhmm, yeah, Justin Lebron. I think that was the very last profile that Hector put together. I think we should just briefly in case that is the pick. Uh Hector, if he could just lay out quickly wide is that some of us are kind of fearful of that as a worst case scenario with Lebrony. That just the quick summary about where he was as a prospect entering the cycle where he is now.
Speaker 6: So to begin the draft cycle there he was a possibility.
Speaker 1: He was probably like a top three or top five prospect going into this upcoming year and a guy that probably could have that was one of the favorite to be the number one overall pick. However, he just struggled at the plate, and also his defense really started to suffer, even though I think he's an excellent defensive shorts up and it's got incredible hands. It's kind of a wizard out there, just a tremendous athlete. His his errors doubled from twenty twenty five to twenty twenty six, and his that really struggled. Like he's obviously has a lot of power. He's not a big kid, but he's got quick twitch and that's where he gets his power from.
Speaker 6: But he's a guy that batt at two.
Speaker 1: Twenty nine in the SEC with a metal bat like that's gonna be that could be an issue for that could be an issue you know at the next level where you're hitting with the wood back, and he's already playing against elite competition in the SEC. You know, every Friday night you're facing the guy that's probably gonna get drafted either later on today or tomorrow.
Speaker 6: So it's gonna be interesting to see what happens.
Speaker 1: With the Marlins if they take Lebron, but if they fix the hit tool. Oh he's a five tool player, but obviously you know, it is such an important tool I have for sure.
Speaker 3: I think what we'll do here is Kevin as soon as Manfred calls the Cardinals pick unnute yourself so that we hear from Manfred himself. Then we'll go to break. Then we'll go around for prediction instant prediction time in terms of who we think it's going to be, and then we'll go back to Kevin for the actual announcement itself. I think we have a couple of minutes to spare until then, though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, if if they do go top heavy, which is what I mean, they have the capacity to do that. You know, high school picks, they usually get overslot deals to pay out an overslot deal to a to a high school player with the first pick, that's gonna cost them money.
Speaker 2: If that is the route that they go.
Speaker 4: But I think, like you were saying, Eli and Sean, with not another pick for a little while, they probably have the capacity to do it, but they have to spend a lot of their pool early if they do go high school first card.
Speaker 5: Here we go, with the thirteen of the twenty twenty six MLB Draft, the Saint Louis Cartons select Trevor Condon, an outfielder from Nawa High School.
Speaker 4: It would stock so lombarda is available to spoorteen overall if they go that way. Again, we were just saying, what the money, which is a lot, Like you were saying, it does remind of the Khalil Watson situation where we're gonna have to shell out a lot of your pool, but with not another pick to comb I think you can do it. It's gonna cost the most of their pool, so they're probably if they do go Lombard here will not get some I have to get creative with the rest of their draft, we'll say. But but yeah, I think best player available, this is the year to do it.
Speaker 3: I think, all right, I've been ignoring, ignoring the spoilers. I know that somewhere like trying to bleed into my brain right now. But we'll go to break shout out Jetski Ki Rentls of South Florida, come back prediction times, and then the grand reveal from Live from Philly. So stick with us for that, of course. Friends at Jetski Rensls of South Florida, they presents all of our podcast efforts here on fish on First, Miami's best jet ski and boat in ventures. Jetski Rentals Love South Florida with six JITs ski locations in over one hundred and twenty boats. There's something for every style and every budget ride. Jetski's running from the Downtown Skyline in Ferris Wheel or book your own private boat starting as love as three hundred dollars with the captain included, Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. The reservation based only to book called three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two, or check them out online at SF jet Ski Rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code fish on First and that gets you a ten percent discount off your next booking. Again, that's three oh five nine nine oh two, one nine two or online at sf Jetski rentals dot com.
Speaker 4: The So we're going to early prediction time for who the Marlins will select here as they are on the clock, have fourteen overall? Is it the best player available? Do they have someone else in mind? What do we think they'll do? Jeremiah, I'll go to you first. We haven't heard from you.
Speaker 9: Ye, go ahead, Yeah, I think it's got to be best player available. If I was in the Marlin shoes right now, I'm going with Geo Rojas, left handed pitcher out of high school, really good stuff, fastball slider. I think they go pitcher and yeah.
Speaker 10: That's my prediction.
Speaker 2: Nate, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: It seems like every draft.
Speaker 11: I'm a big fan of the local guys, and I think the Orleans have a great pick right here, no matter who they know, with obviously Lombard down in Miami. But I think the guy who I've been on this entire drafts, just like Jeremiah said, he's been the ace of Thestilman that have been pitching staff the best program in the country since his sophomore year. Wipe out, fastball, amazing slider. I think the moments have to go with a roster.
Speaker 2: Factor.
Speaker 6: I didn't think he'd be available, but he is. Jacob Lembard. I mean that makes the most sense.
Speaker 1: You know, you still got Joe Rojas, who he's another hometown kid also pick.
Speaker 6: He'd be an Nelson pick, and you also obviously have a sees.
Speaker 1: I think the morn if they don't get one of those three guys, they kind of messes up.
Speaker 6: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Sean. A lot of solid options still on the board.
Speaker 7: But I do think Marlin's go best player available, and he is also my best player available, and Jacob Lombard.
Speaker 4: I will briefly go and echo what you just said, Sean and what Hector has said. I mean, they don't really need shortstops, but this is the year to go best player available, and he is the best player available.
Speaker 2: It's Jacob B. Lombard's. That's if they got him, that is a slam dunk pick for the Marlins. You I go ahead.
Speaker 3: Important factor here is that none of Jacob Berry's siblings or relatives are draft eligible this year, so they're not going to fall into that trap. And I think instead they'll go Jacob Lombard. That's my best guess here, and I think one that would make a lot of people happy considering the value proposition of what we thought entering this draft. But we're about to find.
Speaker 2: Out, Kevin, to go ahead before the your favorite.
Speaker 5: Clock is still running, still on the clock, with just under a minute remaining.
Speaker 2: I think the Marlins go with with Lombard. You have to. That is by far the best player available in this draft.
Speaker 5: And if Frankie player's strategy is best player available, that's what he will take. And Frank Lombard becomes a top ten prospect in the system.
Speaker 11: He's that good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely so, Marn's taking their time, I guess here. But to me, it's the money. To me, it's the money. We were talking about it. But I think they can get it done. But the rest of this draft I don't think will be too exciting if they do go with Lombard, So they'll have to get creative. I mean, there is obviously talent to be found all over the draft, but the things you get creative with who they scouted and who they spent time with. Prediction Mason Edwards, that's the name we ever heard. Yeah, so just to wait in the clock here.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Once a look at the picks.
Speaker 5: The pick is not it yet six seconds, five seconds more three two one, and they just expired. All right, the pick is in, so we should be hearing from Manfred any second.
Speaker 7: And I'm gonna get a video of this too.
Speaker 2: Gotta work two things at the same time. So all right, I'll let you guys when it comes out.
Speaker 3: Thank you everybody that's tuning in live for this. I think the reactions are going to be our best part. But then the second best part is actually analyzing who this pick is going to be, because that's where the It was very difficult, of course to pin down who's gonna be available at this range, YadA, YadA, YadA entering this, so we cast a very wide net in previewing it. But ultimately the most important thing is getting you familiar as quickly as possible and as much as possible with.
Speaker 5: Here we go, here going the rest of the twenty twenty sixth MLB Draft the Miami Marlins.
Speaker 2: So like Jacob lumbarg a shortstop from.
Speaker 3: Gulliver Rap School, Miami Florida.
Speaker 2: The arison over, then the next pick that is the right thing to do. Awesome, last player available, Hector, go ahead, snap reaction.
Speaker 5: Act to shock it be shocked.
Speaker 2: Oh, hector, he's so shocked you forgot the im mute himself, can.
Speaker 6: You guys hear me?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Yes, So, I mean Lombard, but I wasn't expecting him to be taking this early.
Speaker 6: I thought he'd be a top five to seven pick.
Speaker 1: Marlins grabbed the best hit player in the draft, number five prospect of corn that would be pipeline and just an absolute monster get for the Marlins.
Speaker 6: This is a guy that is a five tool player.
Speaker 1: He can you know, he does have a little bit swinging miss to his game, but to be honest with you, that was really only like at the circuit.
Speaker 6: Level where everyone's throwing the mid nineties.
Speaker 1: So everyone at the high school level, you know, especially at those summer circuits, they're gonna be there's gonna some swing and miss. But he does everything well. He's an incredible athlete. He's a little bit more power over hit tool, but I mean there's just so much alike there. He's a short step at the next level and if needed to move to third base because if he out grows a position, he's a goal glove Candida at third.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sean, go ahead me. In the scouting grades.
Speaker 4: This is just looking briefly, fifty five grade hits, sixty grade power, sixty five runs, so you're fast as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, you got tools on tools here, local guy. This is easy to root for, but.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, yeah, yeah, it's extreme tools, maybe some of the most tools out of all the high school players in the first round that we're available. He's number seven on my board with big tools the high school players, especially of his size six foot three. Of course, the range of outcomes are large. I had the floor at a forty with the ceiling at a sixty. I only gave five players in this draft a ceiling of a sixty future value, which just kind of shows that if everything hits, which goes with his hit tool, which I guess is the biggest question that's going to really determine his range of outcomes. But like Hector said that he should stick at shortstop even given his size. If he has to move over to third base, you definitely have a goal glove third baseman with potential for twenty five to maybe even thirty home run power one day. I mean, this is a big frame and he's ready physically gifted for an eighteen year old, he's ready as big. He kind of has a pro body as it is right now, so it's all going to be on the hit tool and the approach. But besides that, I mean, this was the best player available. I think the Marlins did the right thing here, not.
Speaker 2: A lot not to like.
Speaker 4: I mean, like we're saying the money is going to be the thing, so that out of the way. I mean, you go, pest player available. This is the best player available. I think it definitely was obviously the best positioned player available.
Speaker 2: Take him away from a commitment to Miami.
Speaker 4: That's not gonna be pat We were saying it before Nate, but I mean, this is gonna be overslot. I guess we could say, you know, we could point out the the overall plot value for this how far over do you think this should do or will go out for this player.
Speaker 11: I'm not the expert on slot like a lot of the other guys are, but I think obviously what to over and probably will have the Marlins later in this Draftle Obviously you have to, you know, take the damage of that, but for a guy like this, it's worth it.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 11: I don't know if you guys touched on this earlier, but obviously it comes from a huge baseball family. His dad was a coach for many organizations, brother obviously with the Yankees, so I think they're getting a ball out here.
Speaker 10: Man obviously faced.
Speaker 11: Some of the best competition and all the and all the country out here in South Florida, played round the prep circuit, the number two player in Perfect Games high school ranking, So no PJ Orlando tours as he was number one, So that'll that's out of the factor this year. So big get for the Marlins. The board pretty much worked out right in their favor. So hopefully get him in Miami. I mean soon enough. I don't know as quick as they can get him there with obviously getting to sign and stuff, but it shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: Long, right, Yeah. So some things to keep in mind when it comes to the potential financial ramifications. This is a player where I mean, for example, if we thought he was going to go very likely somewhere between what five and eight something like that, the slot values of those picks are eight point three million, seven point eight million, seven point three million. The Marlins have a slot value of five point four million. That's multiple millions to dollars, probably below what the average projection was for him. That doesn't mean he's gonna make up all that money, but I think he's going to make up some of it and be an overslot signing here, which would mean that overall, we'll take a broader look at their bonus pool. Like the total bonus pool for this year is right in the middle of the pack for MLP teams. It's just a shade below twelve million, and you could go a little bit above that without two severe penalties. But it means that he's going to take up at least half of this bonus pool if I was to estimate it right here, and that just means that they'll have to trim elsewhere in the draft in order to make it work. You don't really make this pick unless you're certain that you can sign him. But the trade off of being able to sign him is going to be spending less in these subsequent rounds than they previously did. I mean, there's really nothing coming between him in Barry, but I bring up Jacob Barry again just because financially it was a very similar circumstance. Barry signed for six million and twenty twenty two, and the Marlins total bonus pool that year was right around twelve million dollars as well, And as it turns out, the Marlins got didn't have a ton of other talent from that twenty two draft class outside of Barry Carson. Mill Brandt is probably the saving grace of that entire class. To this point four years later, most of the other guys aren't even in minor league ball anymore, just because the Marls are so strapped for resources in later rounds. So yeah, I'm not going to say that this is necessarily a one man draft class that might be overreacting slightly. It's just that it's going to be on that end of the spectrum compared to the typical draft. There a whole lot of their success is going to be relying on Lombard coming through and getting relatively close to his lofty ceiling.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if I could chime in really quickly, way I think talking about the bonus pool, I would wager that Lombard probably gets around what the slot for the Royals is, which is one second, it is seven point seven million, where Zion Rose, who they selected at seven, is probably going to get the Marlins slot value around two million. Last which makes sense for the Royals considering they pick again at thirty, where the Marlins don't pick again.
Speaker 10: Till the fifties, I believe.
Speaker 7: So, Yeah, I mean I think you had to go best player available there for the slot, given that they don't have a comp a pick. And I mean, what better player to fall than Jacob Lombard if you're talking about best player available?
Speaker 4: So I guess one thing we could point out is why did he follow that far? I mean, it's a player that a lot of people expected to go a lot earlier than this. I don't think many of us had him falling to the Marlins at fourteen? Is assignability? Is it something and maybe physicals that we haven't heard yet?
Speaker 2: Like, what what could be? I'll let anybody go on this.
Speaker 4: What could be the reason that a guy like this that is a supreme athlete, it seems will stick at shortstop really good hit tool, really good power, really good speed. It's like at least four out of five tools at what he's being scouted.
Speaker 2: For and a lot of time on his side.
Speaker 4: So what could be the reason that a player like this falls a bit past this possible draft block?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I would just to me, I would say it's signability and it's hit tool. It's probably a lot of MB teams models, which is how a lot of teams now deal with the draft. Probably don't project his hit tool or approach to significantly improve as he reaches the majors. Maybe some teams don't view him as a shortstop, which definitely hurts how you would view him if you're drafting a high school third basement compared to shortstop on a value scale is a big difference. So that's the only two things I could think of he's eighteen years old. Is good bloodline. I mean, his father is currently the bench coach with the Tigers. As Nate mentioned, his brother is a top prospect in the Yankee system. So it has to be hit tool, approach and sign.
Speaker 12: Ability pactors meet it again, Jesus.
Speaker 1: I think for the most part, it's probably just signability. I think that's probably the only reason, because.
Speaker 6: I mean hit tool.
Speaker 1: I think I mean we say like, oh, he's got you know, hit tool of this hits that he's still great as a fifty five hit tool, which is rated above average. Though the one tool I would say that he probably needs the most work with and that could be an issue with him being a short step is the arm stright.
Speaker 6: That's that's his biggest weakness. His arm isn't the best, but that's also one of the tools that you could fix, you know, the best.
Speaker 1: So I mean obviously it leads be you know, as you This is from my from my draft profile a couple of months ago about him. I had him as a top ten pick and somehow, you know, he fell all the way to fourteen for the Marlins. I think very intelligent ballplayer. Obviously comes from a baseball family, did, like I said, struggle with high velocity in the past.
Speaker 6: That's during the summer's record where everyone's throwing mid nineties.
Speaker 1: You know, obviously the high school talent down here is incredible, but there's you know, there's going to be obviously some high school kids that you're facing. There going to be low to mid eighties, and you could just tee off on them. But my comparison is Jeremy Payna because I just like the physical tools just like Jeremy Paana, and I think he can be a pretty complete player like Painya. Another guy who you know, I've been thinking about it more and more is like a Connor Griffin type.
Speaker 11: I'm also not sure if anyone touched on this, but Lombard is a really big, big soccer player, huge fan of soccer, played soccer's entire life. There's a video of him that Youth Prospects it a while ago, asking him like, what do you prefer baseball or soccer?
Speaker 10: And he said it depends on some days.
Speaker 11: So it reminds you that what Frankie Plairy said last year when talking about what guys they like, you said, they really prioritize athletes.
Speaker 2: Obviously, I've our chat was.
Speaker 11: The Gataaye Player of the Year for Hawaii and basketball, so another guy in multi sport talent. Something I thought funny wrinkle because I mean.
Speaker 10: Speed wherever you need. So it's a interesting again they you know, follow that route.
Speaker 9: M M.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's an interesting spectrum there where you want guys, of course to love baseball as much as possible, work as hard as they can to be the best version of themselves in the pros. But at the same time I kind of am on that same train of thought that you want these guys to be well rounded as athletes and as people once they entering pro ball. You don't want them to live, sleep, and breathe everything for their entire life, and that to come at the detriment of their overall developments. So I do see that as a plus, the fact that he has strong passions elsewhere and is able to learn that and ultimately incorporate that. To bring some other examples of the current Marlins, Joe Mack was a big time volleyball player in addition to and basketball in addition to being baseball. Max Meyer played a lot of hockey growing up. And really like that. I mean the countless examp of this that you can point to that I think the more the better, and that generally serves these guys well moving forward. So we're gonna take a quick break here here from our friends at Fabletics, and then we'll come back. We'll talk more about Jacob Blombard, and then we'll start looking ahead to the rest of today. This still Marlin, still make four more picks today alone, twenty more picks over the course of this weekend, and we'll dive into it as much as we can. So stick with us.
Speaker 10: It's summertime.
Speaker 13: You know what we do at FT We look for hacks. How can we feel like we can do it all outside with something that's breathable, something that feels Premium.
Speaker 2: Fabletics hooks us up.
Speaker 13: I've got the cloud jersey t It is super soft crats, but it works at the gym, it works when I'm on the show, it works when I'm going to meetings. It is the true super utility player.
Speaker 14: So same here. Difference is I got the nice stripe across, so you can have style and also have versatility because you know what, I'm gonna go to the gym probably in the same stuff that I'm gonna have my meetings in the same stuff. Then I'm gonna go out and have breakfast in so you know what. This is where Fabletics got me and Kratz.
Speaker 13: Everyone can shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new vip take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so don't wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new vip.
Speaker 2: Here on the Draft Reaction Live show on Vish on Verse. I don't have that cool title that.
Speaker 4: You had first their instant analysis, I guess you said whatever it was. Anyways, the Marlins selecting Jacob Lombard.
Speaker 2: High school shortstop.
Speaker 4: That's what we're reacting to live on the show before the Marlins pake four more picks later on today. You know, we've discussed a little bit how this player fits the Marlins, why he fits the Marlins because he's the best player available. What the Marlin do have now is a question in terms of who is their long term shortstop. And I guess that is a good problem to have, But there's many guys, including Lombard, who could fit this bill. Obviously, you're gonna give this guy a chance to stick there. You're gonna spend a lot of money on him. You're gonna want to stick at the most premium position possible that would be shortstop. A lot of evaluators say he can stick there despite being a pretty big guy.
Speaker 2: I mean they think i've r K could stick there too, and he's massive.
Speaker 4: So my question for you guys here is what do they do here and how do they juggle these cards in terms of all of these athletes that they have who could potentially stick at shortstop. Now with their last two first round picks potentially being those two who could stick at that position. I have a Riquette and Jacob B. Loombard.
Speaker 2: Who do you like more to stick there? And why? I guess Jeremiah go ahead. Yeah.
Speaker 9: It kind of reminds me of the Dodgers situation when it comes to outfielders in double A, triple A.
Speaker 2: Some say there's a log jam.
Speaker 9: They have Zire Hope, you know, Mike Sirota, and there's a problem of getting guys up to the majors and creates a system of moves you're gonna have to make. But at this point in Lombard's career, I mean, he's so young, He's eighteen years old right out of high school. You want him to play shortstop. It's the premium position for a draft pick. You're that you're spending a lot of money on. I don't really view it as a concern because I think these problems tend to play themselves out and just handle them themselves. I know there's a little bit of a concern with the arm strength, but he's such an athlete, right and he's got so many other tools, the speed, the power, and that's what I really like is his offensive production, whereas defensively, you know, he sticks that shortstop, that's great, But I'm so high on his bat and what he brings to the table that you know, with Iva in the system, if Iva ends up going to third and Lombard six that short you know, five six years down the road in Miami, You're you're gonna live with that. You're gonna be completely fine with that, as long as they just continue to make progress with.
Speaker 2: Each level of the of the minor league.
Speaker 3: So you know, time, time will tell.
Speaker 9: I just don't think it's a main concern that the Marlins should have right now.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, the conventional thinking is you can draft as many shortstops as you want. The more, the merrier. It really is, because these guys, if they have the athleticism to play sportsop, they the instincts to play shortstop, they can play practically any physician. So it kind of as simple as that to me, where I'm kind of satisfied with that. But our cad it's a more unorthodox physical build for sure, even though I think but from what we've seen, you know, scouting him in the Marlins Orea, you I've been really impressed by his shortstop defense. It's just that historically guys you don't want to be too shallow, but guys that look like him and are built like him just usually don't stick at shortstop. Usually they're surpassed by somebody else that is smaller and more compact. So somebody like Lovart and Lombard himself is pretty for that position too, six foot three, so it's not like a huge difference. But I think every every inch matters, as you can say, in some other aspects of life as well, So I think Lombard is I would say, more likely to stick there overall. But ultimately I think it's a great problem to have in the draft. Always load up as much as possible one guys with shortstop potential and then see where it goes from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I said, it's a good problem to have. And our cat has already spent some time at third base, of course injured right now.
Speaker 4: The Marlins hope to get him back for the end of the year at double A after you've heard his thumb on a slide.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no Lombard coming in.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is a huge get And like we said, I mean you can always move pieces around.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a good problem to have.
Speaker 4: It's just interesting that their last two picks have been you know, shortstop that, and they think they can stick there. So yeah, it's gonna be interesting to see how they juggle those pieces as time goes on.
Speaker 2: One other question I had in character you could I'm gonna go to you on this or Sean.
Speaker 4: You know, when you're going into a draft at any point as an organization, you tend to use your resources and spend time, probably around the guys that you think you can get. And even though Lombard was as a local guy, I would be interested to know how much time they spent with him in terms of area scouting, in terms of regional scouting, stuff like that. So my question for you guys is do you think they've spent a lot of time around this player thinking, and I guess betting that he would go earlier and then he doesn't. So the question really is do you think they knew everything there was to know about this player or do you think they're just going to learn more over time?
Speaker 6: If you want, I can go first.
Speaker 1: So, based on from what I know, they've been looking at him for a while for multiple years, because he is right in our backyard because he's right in their backyard. So because of that, they already had a general idea of you know who he is. The area of scout got to know him because look, I have I have friends that are scouts, and they still, even if they know they have no chance of going after a guy, they still do their due diligence because the MB draft is so unpredictable that guys are gonna fall every single year. I mean, we just saw right now with Lombard, and we've seen a year in and year the guys that probably are number two or three prospect end up going tenth overall.
Speaker 6: So every team does their due diligence. And because you know he's.
Speaker 1: Right in the Marlins backyard, they can do they can get playing due diligence on him. He comes from a baseball family, so you know, not only do you know you know about the player, but you know about the family pretty well because they've been around baseball for a while. You know about the brothers, so you know what their makeup is like. So when he does fall to you, I don't think you think much about it. You just say, let's go get this guy in an organization and let's celebrate boys because you know, this is a guy that I think would be a great is going to be a great fit for the organization. And as far as position goes, it doesn't really matter. Just grab the best player available. Actually, from I've talked to a lot of college baseball coaches and a lot of their strategies are just get guys up the middle, because you get the best athletes, and then you figure out the positions at the end of the day, because you see, if you can get guys that are, you know, excellent athletes at center field and shortstop, maybe they might not be that they might not play that position at the collegiate level at the next level, but because how athletic and how good they are there, it's easier for them to transition to other positions.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't think it would be that big of a concern. I mean that I'm one hundred percent sure of the Marlin scouts and executives. I mean, they've been familiar with Jacob Lumbard probably says he was fourteen, fifteen years old, you know what I mean. So they're not thinking when he's fifteen years old, oh we're gonna have pick fourteen. We're not gonna, you know, they don't know, so I think that they have extensive, you know, research on him. Like Hector said's a baseball family. I don't know how much even someone like Rachel Balkovic has in this, but I mean she does come from the Yankees org when when George Lombard had just been drafted, So maybe there's some sort of amiliitary there she, you know, ask around. Yeah, these I'm sure the top I mean three hundred players. I mean they probably have some extensive work on them, especially for high school ors.
Speaker 12: Sometimes college guys slip through the cracks.
Speaker 7: I'm sure, but yeah, I mean, it's not a word to me. I don't think.
Speaker 3: One thing I want to bring up now is we've been talking what fifteen twenty minutes since the pick was made is, and now we're seeing who else has been picked since then. So some very notable names, guys that we had just discussed on off the board shortly after that. I think Nate were you one of the gl Rojas stands in here so interesting. Yeah, he goes two picks later. So how about that? The fact that almost immediately after the Mars around the clock he comes off the boards in Texas.
Speaker 10: And then there's Lebron to the Red So little Boy.
Speaker 7: I gotta say that the Logan Hughes pick is a bit shocking there for the Ashers, but they have another first rounder, so it might be an underslid deal. Rojas was, in my opinion, the best high school in the draft, so it's a great pick by Texas. Hopefully Skip is still there to have Rojasa drive Raim.
Speaker 3: We're gonna say one more ad break from fan Duel, then we'll come back and we'll wrap this thing up. We'll get some more final thoughts on Lombard and what to morrow's they are going to be doing with the rest of this class. It's been fun so far, and stick with us through the home stretch.
Speaker 15: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan Duel is the home of home runs. Are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash Podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 4: Back to give final thoughts on what we all agree is a great start to the draft for the Marlins. Getting high school shortstop Lombard here, local.
Speaker 2: Guy, tools as hell, athletic. We love it.
Speaker 4: I would say that this is I'll go around to you guys and ask you this question, just closing out your thought on what they did here.
Speaker 2: It's gonna cost some a lot of money. We went through that.
Speaker 4: It's definitely going to be interesting to see what you do the rest of this draft, which we'll have cover John of course, with Kevin in the building. Four more picks to go today and plenty more over the course of the weekend. As Eli you alluded to, so tons of more talents still to come into the ORG, even other Marlins. We'll have to get a little bit crafty with it, I think with how they've spread out the money. But final thoughts on this guy that they added to the ORG, I would say that this is probably my favorite first rounder that they've had in a while. I'll go to you guys on your thoughts in terms of where you think this guy lands in terms of recent Marlin's draft picks in your memory. Go ahead, I'll go to Meate, Go ahead, I'll go to you first. Is this the best in a while for you? Definitely towards the top.
Speaker 11: I think out of the guys that they've picked with their actual first selection, probably number one of my book as well. Back in twenty twenty three, I was a huge fan of Thomas White, obviously just knowing what he did throughout high school.
Speaker 10: So I love that from the second they did it as well.
Speaker 11: But yeah, man, I think that, like I said earlier, at this board really worked out in their favorite They had the cream and the gram of what guys they wanted who might have not a end, you know, in their head going into the draft, but it worked out.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 11: I just watched that video back that I was mentioning. He also did gymnastic, so like, this guy can pretty much do everything. So a mobile guy, bid athlete, and if you're playing shortstop, it's gonna be big. It comes from a winning family, like everyone's mentioned, so God to love everything, not only on the field, but the outside factors as well. Work's out in Marlins favor. So ten out of ten in my book, and I just just want to shout out Sean and Hector are do an amazing job covering the draft. I'm not as tapped in to the draft as I usually as a lot of other things in the Marland's organization, so I know all year this is what these guys are working on. So this is their super Bowl.
Speaker 10: So could drafts guys. You guys did an amazing job once again.
Speaker 3: M yeah, I'm just a sigh of relief on our front that at least we had a profile of Lombard. That was one of the very first ones that Hector did. I haven't organized that way. I think that was a very second one in the entire series. Was in very early in the process. If we'd waited later, then maybe Hector would have skipped it, because it would just seemed so unlikely that he would have fallen to this point. But sometimes the initial intuition is the right one with that, so I'm glad that we had it covered there. It is a great twist that he happens to be a local guy too. I know the organization doesn't give a shit about that. They may say it, I know, you know what. I guarantee they're going to say that. They're going to bring up the fact that he's from Souflorea, They're going to market that, but they don't care whatsoever about that. That has never impacted the draft decisions they've made, either under this current administration or the previous one or the one before that. But I think the fans care so for what it's worth, they'll be rooting for him extra hard in this guess that helps a little bit with the discourse. But I'll get a few more thoughts from you guys, and then I want to also circle back to this question from Parish in our comments about uh where we're just gonna side into the FLF Top thirty list. That's an interesting question too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeremiah ahead.
Speaker 4: Historically, I mean, I'm looking at a last few Marlins first round as I would say that this has to be top of the board. But I'll get your thoughts closing it out on him. Is just the best Marlins first round or in a.
Speaker 9: Bit, Yeah, I would say so, definitely over the last couple of years. You know, I'm trying to go back even since noble Meyer. I like this pick over noble Meyer and I was a top ten pick. Yeah, I mean, there's really nothing not to like about him. He's a stud, he's an athlete, and he's got a lot of tools that the organization can work with. And that's that's a big thing for me, you know, thinking about prospects is what tools do they got, you know, what's their projection long term? Because he's he's young, you know, he's a few years away from the majors. But this organization is improving in so many ways and you're already seeing results of that. I think Lombard fits right in perfectly, and he's gonna be one of the higher rated prospects in the farm system just as soon as he signs. I mean, this guy really is an exciting prospect. I'm really excited for his debut in the professional baseball setting, you know, the minor leagues. It's a big change from high school baseball. But yeah, the power and speeds what intrigues me. And then that hit to if they can get that, you know, situated at a good level, we're talking about a potential four to five star prospect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely a huge gat I think we all agree that this is a top ten guy in the system. Where exactly to answer the question on the screen, you, I'll let you go first on this to answer Parish's question in terms of our current top thirty, which we released right around the midway point of the minor league season, I'll let you go ahead and answer him first. So where where does he wind up? In your mind on the top thirty?
Speaker 3: It is a lock for the top three. I mean when we were going through those deliberations that we thought there was a clear tier difference between Thomas White and Robbie Snelling one, two, and then it was just open season from three onward. Comfortably top three, comfortably the top position player in the organ. So the question is whether it's a fascinating conversation between him White and Snelling, especially given the fact that both White and Snelling are injured right now. Despite how well they've performed in the minors, there's a little bit uncertainty about when they're going to resume things. So that's that's one of many difficult comparisons between them. Yeah, I mean I would probably my first instinct is to say two. I think I might squeeze him between Snelling and White, but I could really see a case where we put them all the way at number one. I think more likely two or three, So I'm designed between two or three in my opinion, I would.
Speaker 4: I would agree just the the incredible ceiling of Thomas White with the stuff profile, even though he's injured right now, high schooler as well, all the time on his side. You know, not to bash Lombard at all, but there is that slight question about the hit tool, so I mean everything together, you're really gonna have to split hairs to make a case one or the other.
Speaker 2: I would agree. It's an interesting conversation, but two.
Speaker 4: Would be my spot to put Lombard right now, but that could change quickly down the road.
Speaker 2: Nate, what are your thoughts on that.
Speaker 10: I would lean in between two and three as well.
Speaker 11: I want to deal with the rest of you guys know how we really evaluate him next to Robie Snelling, especially with Snowing going out of Tommy John. I would still sit with Thomas at one just because of his track record so far in the minors and just the overall projectability of that guy. But I think, like Eli said, yeah, we did mention that when we were discussing that there's a not big DAP, but in between a guy like Dylan Lewis and Robbie Stelling, I'm comfortable with putting Lombard above Lewis, so definitely higher than I have if you guys want to look at it that way. No knock on Iva, but getting this guy at fourteen, who I believe I've had a fifty five future great than Lombard as a sixty on amibi dot com. So it's crazy how it works out in this Marlins farm system just keeps improving.
Speaker 4: I guess we can close it out with that being our thoughts on Lombard, which we're going to talk more about him, much more about him as the months.
Speaker 2: Weeks, years go on.
Speaker 4: But I guess the last thing we can mention is where do the Marlins go from here in the draft?
Speaker 2: I mean they have a.
Speaker 4: Bit to go today and then much more to go in over the weekend. You're looking at their second round pick coming up at number fifty two. They just had the pick come in for the Red Sox at number twenty overall, so we're gonna be waiting a little bit for that next Marlins pick. But hector, what's next for the Marlins in this draft we mentioned them getting creative? Where do you see them going next in terms of what could be in the second round in the compound?
Speaker 1: So for me, I have them going pretty deep, at least heavy in the college world. And my latest mark my second round pick, I had them taking Andrew Williamson them an outfielder from UCF.
Speaker 6: He's another Florida kid.
Speaker 1: It'd be I think it'd be interesting to see how much the Lombard signing changes things, especially as far as sidnability goes. So I could see the Marlins and if not today, a lot tomorrow, take a lot of seniors that have no you know, that have no you know.
Speaker 6: Fighting, no what's it called leverage as far as as.
Speaker 1: Signing bonus money, So it's gonna be interest to see what the Martins do. Obviously, Lebar throws things off a little bit just because of how much he's gonna command. Maybe, you know, maybe the Martins are lucky because he is a hometown kid. Maybe they get like a little bit of a hometown discal Maybe that was part of the reason why he he fell in the draft, where you know, he probably slipped out of the top ten and told teams like, hey, I'm probably gonna go to the Marlins. You know, it'd be better for him and his family to stay in Miami because that's where he's from. So it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, for sure, it's my girlfriend will be happy with that UCF pick that you called out if that is throughout the day go. She went to UCF and probably knows that player very well. Anyways, Sean, go to you with the same question.
Speaker 2: I mean, college heavy that Hector said is out your your thoughts as well. I mean, obviously they're gonna have to save money. High school is gonna be hard after this guy.
Speaker 4: Not to say that they won't go high school for the rest of the draft, but you think college heavy would be the consensus.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would probably say college of consensus. Also with how the draft has been reorganized that I believe today they're doing They're doing more than two rounds. It's like five, five, ten rounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first four rounds today, the first one hundred and thirty five total vases. I don't blame you for being confused. That's why I had this graphic ready, just that everybody's on the same page, including people tuning in. Yeah, they starts. It's a four rounds today, then five through twent tomorrow. It's four rounds today, but five total Marlins picks, and once again those are these are the ones that the Marlins will have.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if I if I had to, I would say probably the rest of today is college and maybe they have a high schooler or two and in day two that they come to an agreement with overnight. But I would imagine it's it's college just to get you know, Underslot like players that they know for sure, Underslot, maybe Slot, just so that way they can probably finish some details of Lombard to make sure everything's good. You don't want to you don't want him to go off to uh to college.
Speaker 12: It's something messes.
Speaker 7: Up here, which is It's rare, but it's happened before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, getting in that guy out of paper, I think that, uh, those negotiations start immediately and could go for a little while, but I think those negotiations have to.
Speaker 2: Start right now.
Speaker 4: Between the Marlins and mister Lombard, they've been through that process before, the dad's been through it, the sons, the other son has been through it, so they know.
Speaker 2: What they're doing too.
Speaker 4: On their side, I'm sure that they have an agency attached him that knows what they're doing as well, So that'll be another interesting conversation to have as this process goes on. A great pick, but this process is not done with that player yet until he has signed it on paper. So that's the next step for the Marlins with this with this player who they have to get on paper, and I'm sure that they will, but gonna gonna take a process. So that's one thing we'll be covering as this draft continues to roll on. We'll have Kevin in the building for the draft. I'm sure Hector and Sean, you guys will be on this with more reaction to Bard and whatever else to Marrowin's decided to do today and the rest of this weekend. This has been a fun conversation to have so far with you guys. As you Nate already mentioned it, guys do great work on this. This is kind of your thing more than any of the rest of the rest of us. So it's been great to hear from you guys so far, and we look forward to the rest of your coverage the rest of this weekend. We have plenty more on this, plenty more on the draft, plenty more reaction in terms of what picks are coming up, and the newest members of the Marlins organization as they join, So stay tuned to fish On First for all of that.
Speaker 2: But I think that's all we got here on this.
Speaker 4: This is a fun one, one of our most highly attended streams of the year, so we appreciate everybody joining in.
Speaker 2: Be happy today, Marlons fans.
Speaker 4: This is a good day so far, and we'll see how much better it can get as the draft girls on. For now, let's go Jacob Loombard and let's go fish