Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Thursday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. We'll talk to Dan Orlovsky of the Motherships schedule released last night. Man to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Got some tough sledding there. They probably have the toughest schedule on paper, and they're in the best division in the league. So you face the NFC East, the AFC West, and then you have the AFC North as well. But there's a stretch going to be pretty tough.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: They don't play a in division opponent until Sunday, November seventeenth, so that's week eleven. That's the first time they face somebody in their division with the Ravens. Their final eight games, six of their final eight games are going to be played in the AFC North. They have an away game against the Eagles and then a Christmas Day matchup at home with the Kansas City Chiefs. Those are the only non divisional games during that stretch. Everything else is against the AFC North. Now I'm looking at the over unders for the AFC North. The Bengals ten and a half wins, the Browns eight and a half wins and I have the Steelers at eight and a half wins as well. Now the Ravens are eleven and a half, so it might be top heavy. Maybe the Browns Steelers aren't going to be that good or they're going to be hovering around five hundred. I would think with Deshaun Watson back, that's a team that made the playoffs with Joe Flacco. The Steelers have upgraded with Russell Wilson over Kenny Pickett, and they were on the cusp of making the playoffs. You know, they're always going to have a winning record, but you can have every one of those teams be a playoff team. I mean, it feels like the Ravens feel like the class of that division. But the Bengals getting Joe Burrow back, they'll be a playoff team probably as well. Eight seven seven three DP show email address, Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter hand On the DP show, Celtics said goodbye to the Cavaliers. The Cavaliers going to say goodbye to Donovan Mitchell. There's a lot of chatter out there, there's no solid information, and that is Donovan Mitchell last year of his contract next season. If they were going to sign him to an extension. They would have done that. Now the question is what is he going to cost you? If you want to give a trade proposal to the Cavaliers, where does he want to go and what can you offer the Cavaliers in return. I think Darius Garland might be the guy who is He's gettable. You know, he's a point guard average twenty points. You know, he got overshadowed by Mitchell. But he's a good player, and he might be a guy that you know, some of these teams San Antonio needs a point guard, Lakers could use a point guard, you know, a couple of teams that might be something. I don't know if you have anybody in the draft who's going to come in and be able to play right away. There are a lot of projects in the first round of the draft. So had Mavericks win at the thunder, Luca did what great players do, stepped up, gave a triple double. Now you're up three games to two. You got the Nuggets and the timber Wolves. Tonight, the Nuggets are a two point underdog. PGA Championship is underway as well. Pole question for the final hour, what are you gonna have their seton. We put up there.
Speaker 3: We had who you got this weekend with the PGA Championship. Scotty Scheffler of the field, Do you want to guess?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna guess people are taking the field because they still don't believe in Scotty Scheffler. Sixty eight percent of the audience have the field. Okay, okay, Scheffler is the favorite, then it's Rory and then it's a big leap after that. De Xander Schoffley and Brooks Koepka and then John rock I Liken Scheffler to uh Nikola Jokic. They're just really good, not really exciting, just really good. And I don't know if they truly love of what they do. They're just really good at what they do. Like they're not consumed like Kobe was consumed, Tiger was consumed. I think we like that. We like the guy that it means everything to you. Scotty Scheffler is like, uh, yeah, you know, it's nice. I'd like doing it. Winning. Winning's fun. Yeah, jokers like what parade? Yeah, let me go back home. How long do I gotta stay here and dominate? I gotta go back and feed my horses. But Scotty Scheffler versus the field and get used to it. Does It doesn't feel like anybody's going to be up there knocking on his door. With the players on the Live Tour, even the players on the PGA Tour. You know, we're waiting for Rory, and Rory's played well in his last two outings, but now going through a divorce, he's had to deal with the whole PGA Tour, Live Tour being involved in that. Maybe some friction with him and Tiger with their roles, you know, in that potential merger. But he's the second favorite here. Now you're waiting for Speeth to come back. Does he come back? Justin Thomas Jason Day, John rum Brooks. You know, it's like you got a lot of guys that you go, oh yeah, okay, they used to be good competing for these championships. Xander Schaffley always knocking on the door. By the way, he's leading the tournament right now. We'll keeping on that. How's Tiger doing? Is he still over.
Speaker 4: Park plus one at the turn?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's all right. I mean I don't know what the cut's going to be there that It's not like they pick a course that's not challenging. I mean, it's the PGA Championship, But I don't know what the cut line will be with that. If Tiger would make the cut, that would be a victory for him just to be able to play four rounds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, paul If you look at the leaderboards, you see all the names, and they always put the country or the flag next to the person. I know who Xander Schoffley is. I've watched it much. Every time I see the American flag next to Xanderschofla'm like, no, that's a mistake. He's clearly Dutch, yeah, or he's clearly from another country. It's just it's one of those names that feels like it's European.
Speaker 2: We talked about the schedule release. The Panthers are the only NFL team that doesn't have a primetime game. Now, I would argue with that because the Panthers do have a standalone game Week ten. They'll be in Germany. That game starts at nine thirty am Eastern. That technically is that primetime in Germany. It's not here. But do the Panthers are they a primetime game in Germany? Yes, Pauline.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, that would be three thirty pm, Oh Germany time.
Speaker 2: They don't even make primetime in Yermany.
Speaker 5: Yes, Ton, you could argue they shouldn't have any afternoon games either.
Speaker 6: That's a little mean what happened today.
Speaker 5: They obviously have to play their schedule out, but it proved to be a tea where we wouldn't miss them if they weren't playing Sunday afternoon either.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP show email undress DP at Dan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. You know, the hardcore fan cared about the schedule because you can kind of map out your season. What games you're gonna go to, you're gonna go on the road, when's the bye week, you're gonna buy tickets. You know, that's when you all of a sudden go, hey, my team is playing in a warm weather climate in December. Yeah, let's go. Yes, Tom, I did that.
Speaker 6: Week three, the Broncos are at Tampa.
Speaker 5: I was considering maybe going down to Florida week three, and then week four they're at the Jets right here in New Jersey. So that was my main reason for checking out what was going on last night. Okay, I could totally relate to that. I guess is what I'm saying, thank you to mapping out the schedule.
Speaker 6: Where am I going to go?
Speaker 5: Where?
Speaker 6: Where's there a nice one place to see a game?
Speaker 2: Nothing wrong with that. I would just be going to go see your team, go to the Jets. Maybe just go there then you don't have to fly down to tamp.
Speaker 3: You've been to a Jets game recently? Yeah, yeah, wearing the opposing colors.
Speaker 2: Do not do that. Not wear your Broncos colors in there that idea.
Speaker 5: No, actually no, it's strange that you say that because a few years back I went to a Bronco Jet game and it was pouring rain. I thought the game was a one o'clock game. It turned out it was a four o'clock game. So I'm sitting in the parking lot.
Speaker 6: For several hours.
Speaker 5: Wearing my Bronco stuff, as was my son, and there was people barbecuing and all their Jets regalia, and they saw me look.
Speaker 6: I guess we looked totally depressed.
Speaker 5: And they're knocked on our window and they offered us some food, which I thought was.
Speaker 6: Pretty amazing for Jet fans, knowing that we're wearing orange and blue.
Speaker 2: Off of your food like you were, like you were homeless.
Speaker 5: Yeah, were sitting there and it's like ten after twelve for a four o'clock game, and like gate or whatever in a parking lot.
Speaker 2: Pouring rain, and you're not a tailgater.
Speaker 6: I'm not a big tailgate.
Speaker 5: It's just me and my son and it's four hours before kickoff and where they're parking lot.
Speaker 2: How do you make that mistake?
Speaker 6: It's terrible.
Speaker 2: Add in Chicago, Hi, Ed, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey? Dan, I really appreciate you calling me back. Are we ready to talk to Miami Dolphins Central time?
Speaker 2: Let me see, we talked about this earlier in the week that we were going to spend the final hour on Thursday. Are you guys ready to talk Dolphins backfield the entire round?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, all right, break it down. So okay, did you did you want to offer anything?
Speaker 5: Ed?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, real quick, Crappensburg State, if you were to become the head coach for the basketball team, are they only going to shoots?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Anyway, Marvin said that, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 7: I think Mostard has the He's the guy with the most experienced even though as Shane came on very strongly last year on the on the depth chart. Currently Mostard is still number one. I think they got to get a more more plays out of the backfield circle routes, out of the backfield screens, that type of thing. A Shane Again home run threat guy can do a lot of things third down back I think going into the season, and then you have Jalen Wright and Jeff Wilson Junior, who I don't really think are going to make an impact.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Ed, You know what I was going to spend the entire hour. I don't need to. Ed just summed it up.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, don't sleep on Jalen Wright, the fourth round pick of the Dolphins out of Tennessee. He's a good running back. He led the Tennessee with a thousand yards rushing seven point four yards of carry.
Speaker 2: Nice pick up Jeff Wilson Junior. By the way, North Texas, Larry and Austin Hi. Larry wents on your mind today.
Speaker 9: Hey, Dan, Your discussion earlier today about parties and birthday parties reminded me of a documentary Turner Classic Movies did on Dean Martin. He wasn't a big fan of party as well well know now, but his wife would have parties all the time, and he would breef the gas and then disappear upstairs to watch TV, and, according to the documentary, on more than one occasion he would call police.
Speaker 2: Report a loud party. Thank you, Larry. I'm not at that point, you know, because when I want to go to bed, I want to go to bed. My wife. You know. One year we had a Christmas party and the basement is packed, music is thumping, It is crazy, and I try to sneak upstairs and my wife goes, where are you going? I go bed and she goes, no, You're not go back down there until everybody leaves. Three hours later they finally left. I had a great time too. Yes, Mark, are you having a big retirement party?
Speaker 6: No Christmas Eve slash retirement party?
Speaker 2: Go No, No, We'll have a Christmas party and that'll be it. But uh and that'll be everybody outside. We'll have a barbecue. That's it. And no matter what the weather is, we're doing. My wife goes, you know what I'm thinking, how about for the Christmas party? Now she's already planning the Christmas party. So Chad from Tragger comes up. We cook, it's great. We you know, get a keg Miller Lite. You know, we'll have our moonshine there. Food's awesome. She goes, you know what I'm thinking, how about ax throwing? They go, okay, for the kids instead of the pinata, Well, we have the pinana, we have the grown up pinata, and then we have the kids pinata. But she wants to bring out some ax throwing experts. And you have a van or some kind of vehicle and then you go into it and you get to throw axes. And I'm like, okay, I guess, like who's going to be there watching to see who goes in? Like, I can't have a seven year old going I want to throw an axe. Paulie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a couple of companies. There's a extreme entertainment there. It's a mobile ax throwing company. There's a lot of plays on words, extra extra, you better ask somebody. Yeah, so yeah, there's mobile axe throwing. You can have them come to your house. Sign a whole lot of waivers and three a great.
Speaker 5: Yes do invited guests have to stand there with like this balloons to your left and right, and the act professional act hits all the balloons instead of hitting you in the head with the axe.
Speaker 6: That would probably ruin the party. If there was an accident.
Speaker 2: There, it would be an axe there you go serious acts.
Speaker 4: If you watch online, there's those axe throwing bars around America and they're pretty well regulated. Those like little stalls and you can't hit the person next to you. But what happens is you get a couple of pops in you and a guy gets a little too close. It's the kickback. The axe does not make contact and stick and it goes back and nails someone in the fore.
Speaker 2: I was thinking skeet shooting. I mean, how about that?
Speaker 6: Why not.
Speaker 4: Can a little ball?
Speaker 2: Uh? Jenna in Indiana? Hi, Jenna, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Ah?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 9: Hi five?
Speaker 11: Five first time, first time, long time and happy birthday to you Dan.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Jenna.
Speaker 11: I I am calling today to brag, I guess, as well as give the shout out to my husband Ryan. His worst nightmare came true on Sunday. I got a hold in one on Mother's Day and he has never gotten one, and he was always afraid I was going to get one before him. I started golfing just about eight years ago and he's been golfing all his life.
Speaker 1: He's fifty years old.
Speaker 11: He's been so sweet about it, but I know deep down he is really pissed off.
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations Jenna on your first hole in one and you ruin somebody else's day in the process. Congratulations, thank you. Okay, that's Jenna. Just be happy for someone else. Yeah, Todd, he's.
Speaker 5: Been so supportive. I think I'd go on national radio and TV and rub it in down. Tell the Dan Patrick Show what I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stupid Ryany and such a baby Ryan. Yeah, be happy for Jenna.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm so lucky paul in it. There is a lot of luck Paul and Illinois. Hi, Paul wents on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey Dan uh?
Speaker 12: First, like, I give a shout out to fellow Paul and SIU alum polypaps.
Speaker 9: I got a question for Paulie.
Speaker 12: I'd like to know what bars he used to frequent when he was in Carbondale, and I got it figured out why Doug Gottlieb took that job at UW Green Bay. He finally wanted to crack a top ten list.
Speaker 6: Oh, because here's high as the tenth coach hired. There is that the top ten list?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh it is?
Speaker 6: I think he was the tenth all time higher by the but that school.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's okay.
Speaker 6: I think that's what he meant.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well, thank you, Paul. All right, let me take a break Dan Orlovsky for the motherships going to John's. You know, I think the whole Dolphins we should have gone with the Dolphins backfield. I should have just done the final hour on the Dolphins backfield.
Speaker 3: You can ask Dan, we could break down the Dolphins backfield with him exclusively. If you were a quarterback and you had the Dolphins backfield, would you want.
Speaker 2: To see I need some rounds out of the backfield, you know. I gotta be able to have somebody who can pick up the blind side blitz.
Speaker 6: Yes, what bars did Paul go to in Carbondale? I'm just waiting here.
Speaker 4: No, nobody's really waiting for that. I can't all of them, equal opportunity.
Speaker 2: Everyone, all of them. Yeah, Okay, I'm gonna take a break. We're gonna rally, We're gonna rebound, and we're gonna do Come.
Speaker 6: On, Let's come on Keith bers next, come.
Speaker 2: On, Fires take a break back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, it's Ben, host of The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller with me and a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of it. Ben Maler show a cult hit overnights on FSR. Why should you listen? Picture if you will a world will We chat with captains of industry in media, sports and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to the Fifth Hour with Ben Matther or the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: He's the popular analyst on the Mothership. He's Danie Rolovski, former NFL quarterback, and you can see him Monday through Friday on NFL Live. They start at for Eastern. Help me understand the allure of the New York Giants on Hard Knocks off season, Well, I think at.
Speaker 10: One it's their one hundred year anniversary, so I'm sure that's got a relative attachment to the NFL, the history of the organization, So like that's the tree top I think the initial just as the everyday fan, how serious were they about drafting a quarterback at number six. We're going to find out how real that was, you know, And maybe some of their I guess, internal feelings about Daniel Jones instead of what necessarily gets shared up in public through the media, how much they loved the elite neighbors in comparison to like the rome O Doomsay conversation, because I had heard sometimes like maybe they were gonna take rome Oh Doomsay because melite neighbors lsu objh.
Speaker 8: So I think that a little bit.
Speaker 10: More of why Wink Martindale isn't there, you know, maybe that relationship because that defense really started to become a difference maker at the end of last year and you know, new defensive coordinator instead of weak Martindale, So maybe a little bit of that. And Brian Dable went from oh my gosh, coach of the year, this guy's completely changed the culture to now, hey, if he doesn't win, we're gonna fire them, which I always find crazy. And then probably like, how how serious were they into keeping Saquon Barkley And was there any regret from the year before of not paying site Saquon and instead of paying Daniel Jones type of thing.
Speaker 2: Give me the team or teams that your opinion changed after the schedule was released.
Speaker 10: Okay, So I think Miami's final six games, and I felt like Miami would be a team that would be very different in back in November December than they would at the start of the season just because of the injuries that they sustained last year. Jalen Phillips would be coming back, Bradley Chubb would be coming back more than likely, and so I thought like, hey, if they could get you know, hang around early on and then somewhat of a favorable schedule on the back end, at least hypothetically, they got a chance to continue to be into that playoff conversation. Their final six games are absolutely brutal. I think five of the six games will be more than likely playoff teams, and I'm pretty sure three of those six games are on the road in cold weather. I think they go who Green Bay Thanksgiving the second to the last or third last week of the season. They go on the road to Cleveland and then on the road to New York Jets to the New York Jets, And so I felt really good about Miami because I honestly believe they could weather the storm. They still might, but those final six games are absolutely brutal. I think Houston's schedule is favorable just because it doesn't feel like there's that you know when you're finding Like for me, Dan, I'm always looking at these schedules to sit there and go, Okay, is there a stretch where you feel, if they're playing well, they can get hot?
Speaker 8: Like is there a three, four, five game stretch where you go win every one of them? Type things?
Speaker 10: And I don't think that there's an overwhelming three or four game stretch in houston schedule where you sit there and go, whooh, that is just you could be staring zero four in the face type of thing. So I felt really good about Houston, you know, in general, but seeing their schedule. In the same with Seattle, I think seattle schedule lends itself to have a lot of success for a football team that is a little bit unknown.
Speaker 2: I've been talking about the Steelers with that stretch where they have eight games, six are going to be in the division, and then they pop out to play the Eagles and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 10: Is that the back is that the back Then there's two yes, yes, that one. When we were doing the reveal last night in Na Gandhi Kevin, we went through the schedule, looked at a little bit and then he was like, wait guys, and we had to bring it back up. That final seven or eight game stretch is absolutely brutal. You then like you could sit there and go, they could lose all seven just because of how good that schedule stretch is.
Speaker 2: Well, they're going to be playing eight games, six are in division and then they play the Eagles and the Chiefs, so you could they could conceivably lose all of those games. And that's why they're over under his eight and a half wins this year, even with an upgrade at quarterback with Russ.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Yeah, that was something that jumped out last night.
Speaker 10: Was because the division is going to be now a big part of this whole conversation when it comes we have this when it comes to the AFC North, them and I would think the NFC North are the two best divisions, the two deepest divisions within the NFL, and Cleveland has this talented or roster maybe in the NFL, but certainly in that division. We have no idea if Deshaun Watson can play at a high level week in a week out anymore, we just don't. So as much as we love and I think if Jamis had to go play, Jamis could play good football.
Speaker 8: But that's not as daunting of a Hey, you got to play them late again in the year. If Deshaun's not playing at.
Speaker 2: High level, Yeah, but why don't we know that what to expect out of Deshaun Watson?
Speaker 14: Now?
Speaker 10: I think the last time we saw him play at a high level consistently was two thousand and twenty because he sat out twenty one. He didn't play a ton in twenty two, right, because the suspension and then the injury last year. Now, that second half against Baltimore, when that injury happened, there were shades of it. There were signs of him looking like vintage Deshaun Watson did for that three or four year stretch of Houston.
Speaker 8: But I mean, Dan, we're going to go on almost four years or at least three years of.
Speaker 10: Him playing high end football consistently over the course of a couple of months.
Speaker 8: So that's why we just don't know.
Speaker 10: And love, I love Joe Burrow, I've been a fan of Joe Burrow since I saw him be the baddest person on the planet in the National Title Game.
Speaker 8: He's got to stay healthy.
Speaker 10: And there's a little bit of that question mark attached to Joe now as well.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to Dan Orlovsky the Mothership NFL live Monday through Friday. If you want to stay tuned in with the NFL, it's must see TV. That's it for Eastern every day, Monday through Friday. I'm looking at the Chiefs and I wondered, now, I also checked Taylor Swift concert schedule and she was going to be in Canada, and a listener even asked, you know, did I think that the NFL would maybe try to orchestrate a game where the Chiefs would be close by? So you have Taylor Swift? And I said, well, check when she's in Toronto and check when the Chiefs are in Buffalo come on same week, four o'clock game. Do you think that the NFL did that.
Speaker 8: I don't think that's I don't think that's coincidence.
Speaker 10: One thing I have learned, and you have been around this league and the way it covers the you know, and it brings it to the fans longer than us. They are as smart as they can possibly be, and that is not coincidence. I also don't think there is anything wrong with it. I think it's highly intelligent. I think what she has brought to the NFL is nothing but positive, and I do not believe that to be a coincidence. I think that's unbelievable by you as well. Did you say that before the schedule release?
Speaker 2: I said, check to see when the Chiefs play Buffalo and where she is in Canada, and then it turned out it's the same week, and I go, Okay, that's not a coincidence, not at all, not a coincidence. Okay, we have a bet. I have a bet with Fritzy Wedding Cake to the Face that Taylor Swift and Travis Kelsey will get engaged this season.
Speaker 8: I'm taking whatever I can on the.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, so you're with me. Todd said no because he doesn't love love you and I love loves message.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, yeah, No, No, hopeless romantic for him. He's not a rom common type of guy.
Speaker 2: No, No, he's not. No.
Speaker 8: I mean I cried when I watched Like the New.
Speaker 10: I'm a movie crier, so even like, like some of the new movies that have been remade that I know the endings, I'm gonna cry at them. So I'm like, I'm wired emotionally anyway. But I'm saying, yes, I'm that.
Speaker 2: You ever cried during a football game when you were playing? Oh gosh, yes, yeah, I mean during the game. Oh absolutely, Yeah, Yeah I've cried. I mean the first I'll give you some cry football stories, Dbate. First time I ever played football, I was playing quarterback. I was nine years old.
Speaker 10: I went dropped back to pass on my first pass in practice, I got slapped in the arm like this.
Speaker 8: I cried like a baby.
Speaker 10: I ran to the parking lot, and I wanted to never play football again.
Speaker 8: Thank God that my father didn't allow me to.
Speaker 10: Definitely cried during college football game, just in some pain moments.
Speaker 8: I cried against the Vikings, not for running out of the end zone, but for a hit that I took in a game that made me like tear up. I cried. I cried definitely pregame right after Sandy Hook.
Speaker 10: Not to get morbid in a like a laughing manner, but yeah, I've definitely cried in multiple multi I'm a crier, though, dude. Like, my daughter made a soccer team last night, and when she told me the news, I cried.
Speaker 2: So I cried, oh, I'm right there with you. Yeah, like my kids will be. You know, we went to see Book of Mormon on Broadway. It's a comedy. I cried at intermission. I'm crying. My kids go, what are you crying about? I go, I have no idea, but you know what gets me every time?
Speaker 10: I'm sure you have gone down to disney World and seeing the lights and fireworks show on Magic Kingdom.
Speaker 8: You know when they do that.
Speaker 2: I cried to yep, I did. My kids were little, and I'm thinking I never got this experience. My parents drove us to Disneyland. We didn't go into Disneyland, but that was our vacation. I got my kids out there, and you know, they got all the fireworks and all the you know, Goofy and Pluto and Donald Dunck, and I'm going, oh my god, how lucky are these kids? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Every time?
Speaker 2: All right, is there any reason to doubt the Chiefs?
Speaker 8: Of course?
Speaker 10: I think number one, just coming off of last night, the start of their season obviously is very difficult, and the finish of their season is very difficult. Their first two games are gonna be big deals obviously Baltimore Cincinnati, and I don't exactly remember what their final four games are off the top of my head from last night, but their final four games are challenging.
Speaker 8: We have no idea what's gonna.
Speaker 10: Happen with Rashie Rice, you know. And when I said this last night, I said, well, we don't know, you know, how long, you know, and Chefty cut me off and he's like expected Rashie.
Speaker 8: Rice to not be there for part of the season, you know.
Speaker 10: So it's like, Okay, Cheffie's saying that, so you know, you don't know how long Rashie Rice isn't gonna be there. And Rashie Rice became a really big deal for them last year. He was their one B, not their number two, their one B. He we would be part of blocking and to get out in some of their pass routes. I understand it's Patrick, I understand it's Andy Reid, but he was a really big part of what they really became a possession guy for them. That's not who Xavier Worthy is, That's not who Hollywood Brown is. And so to not have that is certainly there that gives pause. And we don't know who's going to be playing left tackle, so that certainly allows pause. Lageriously needs the best man and man cover corner in the NFL. Certainly in the conversation, not there anymore. So I'm not sitting here saying they're not going to get in or they're not the Super Bowl favorites. Absolutely, but there is no reason and realistic and real pause to see, Well, let's see what they look like, or how long he's out or how great that defense is without that lockdown cover corner.
Speaker 2: Well, the Chiefs their last game is at Denver, so they may catch a break at the end of the season. And you know what, speaking of the Broncos, like Sean Payton's got a hit on this quarterback here. Yeah, I mean this is really important. I don't know what you think of bow Nicks, but I mean they're over unders five and a half wins this year. He's got one more year. It feels like before all of a sudden, it gets a little bit warmer there.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, I would start bow next week one, and that's a daunting thing because Denver's on the road in Seattle. And then week three they played Tampa Bay and then Week four they played the New York Jets. So if this was any other rookie quarterback, if we were talking about maybe even like a player like a Drake May who, while he's played a ton of college snaps, has got to you know, he's got the game that he needs to work on, the reason why I say play week number one, even though it's Mike McDonald new head coach and all these crazy blitzes bo Knicks one has sixty one career starts, he has played and seen a ton of college football. Number two he's got thick skin. Now you know he went highly touted Auburn. Oh you can't play, you stink, leave the SEC. You can't play anymore. Go So like the weathering, the dealing with failure, because I do think it's going to be a bumpy first month because of those teams, because you're playing Seattle crazy bitzer is Tampa Bay crazy blitzes, and the Jets obvious suffocating.
Speaker 8: But I think Sean Bayin's got to start.
Speaker 10: Him if he even looks remotely close to being capable of operating their offense. And that first month has got to be this weather weather, the storm, learning experience, beat tough skin, and hopefully he starts to play his best football as they get into October.
Speaker 2: What do you expect out of the Chargers first year?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I have the expectation that they'll absolutely play meaningful football games in December. I think Hardball's too good of a coach. I think their offensive line is going to play too much in control of football games. Just stylistically, I think their tight ends will be a much bigger part of their their football team pass game wise than people believe. I love the addition of Lad McConkie. You know, Quenton Johnson's got to take a step forward. I think the defense will play a little bit more consistent than it did Brandon Staley. So I'm not giving them the division and I'm not giving them a playoff spot, but I am saying they'll be playing meaningful football games in December.
Speaker 2: And I love what Harball is doing. And I've been saying this for years that somebody is going to have a different approach and not going to be throwing the ball forty times. That he wanted to have an offensive line just like he did at San Diego, Stanford, San Francisco, Michigan, and that's what he's going to do. He could have taken a wide receiver, could have taken a tight end, and all along I kept thinking, he just going to build that offensive line again, yep.
Speaker 10: And I'll always go back to the quote he shared this offseason that and it's what I've believed for a long time and try to articulate. He just did it better when he said every position is dependent upon the offensive line. The offensive line is dependent on no one and that you know, I've always said, like, if you've got a great offensive line, the skiel players are better than they actually are. And the same with the quarterback. But if if you have a great quarterback, it doesn't you know, the offensive line being poor negatively affects him. So now I kind of had that same thought the way he was going to kind of build that football team.
Speaker 8: And I just think that they it's cyclical.
Speaker 10: They you know, for two years, I have felt that the offensive line was gonna or the NFL. For two years, the NFL was going to trend towards going back to early two thousands football, and that was going to be a little bit more focus on shrinking down formations, let's pound the football bigger linebacker is going to be needed, run stopping, defensive tackles. We got to control the line of scrimmage. And it feels like, you know, thirty five percent of the league is at that point right now.
Speaker 2: Anybody have more pressure on them this year than Dak Prescott.
Speaker 10: I mean Aaron Rodgers and the New York Jets. I mean that was a really big deal last year. We just not talked about it this much this year. But I think everybody within the New York Jets and Aaron Rodgers for sure. I mean it's because the expectations are the same as last year, Like you got to win a Super Bowl. It's the best roster that Rogers has been on in a decade when it comes to real talent.
Speaker 8: And so you know, Dan, I would.
Speaker 10: Have thought, yes about Dak Prescott and then Marcus. Yesterday we were on this, you know, the schedule release showing Marcus like that ain't got no.
Speaker 8: Pressure on him, and I pushed back and I was like, you go out of your mind.
Speaker 6: He's like her.
Speaker 10: Cousins just got one hundred guaranteed in one hundred and sixty million dollar contract. If Dak hit the open market right now, he's gonna get two hundred, and I don't disagree with them.
Speaker 8: Jared Goff has got a buck seventy.
Speaker 10: Now, Jared Goff's going to Super Bowl an NMC title game, but he just got a buck seventy. And because of who Dak is and you know the consistent performance that.
Speaker 8: He does bring more often than not.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I while there's like the pressure to okay last year your contract, Dak Prescott is going to get a good jillion dollars next offseason, either from the Cowboys or someone else.
Speaker 2: Great stuff as always, Thank you, Dan, Thanks boss. That's Dan Orlomski ESPN and list part of NFL Live and you can watch you Monday through Friday at four eastern.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought about that with Dak Prescott, that you know he's going into this contract year. The expectations are always get to the playoffs, can you win another super Bowl? And his day is saying so if you don't like, you're still going to get paid. I didn't think of it that way. And then as far as Aaron Rodgers, yeah, I understand, well the expectation level is tempered a little bit because of what happened with Rogers, but still Jets fans, they're going to expect they're going to the playoffs, they're going to play in big games. Maybe they're going to play in a super Bowl. But Dallas fans they feel the same way. All Right, we'll take a break. Last call for phone calls. Uh just found out that Drew Brees will Jonas on the program tomorrow. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls? What we learn? What's in store tomorrow? It doesn't happen very often, but it did last night. Luka Doncic playing some defense.
Speaker 14: Play it off lively and light. That's block guy Holbret. Take it out of there by Joseph Alexander right, the left, lost the handle, got it back, looked up with the block shot spectacularly.
Speaker 1: So what played by Dods.
Speaker 14: It's Jones Now fallo by Williams with fifty point one seconds to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been telling us he's playing defense. Do you have to tell people you're playing defense? Shouldn't we be able to see your playing defense? That's called credit the Mavericks Radio Network. This day in sports History, Paulie, what do you have?
Speaker 4: Got a few for you? Dand eighteen sixty nine, the Cincinnati Reds your Red Red Stockings YEP played their first baseball game. The AHPA was formed in Kansas City, Kansas, in nineteen fourteen. Anyone know what the AHPA is?
Speaker 2: Is that professional bowling? Ooh?
Speaker 4: The American Horseshoe Pitchers Association, here's the lobby. Nineteen fifty four, Ted Williams got eight hits in one game. In two games, he broke his collarbone in the first inning of the first game, didn't come out of the first game or the second game, and at eight hits. Jim Palmer sixty five made his pitching debut eighty five. Michael Jordan named Rookie of the Year him. In nineteen ninety six, Stammy Sosa became the first Cubs player ever to hit two more home runs. To hit two home runs in a single inning.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest closeout performances in NBA history. On this day, nineteen eighty Magic fills in for Kareem Goes forty two fifteen and seven as the Lakers beat the Sixers Game six of the NBA Finals. Let's see Shawn in Oregon. Hi, Sean, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Hey Dan? I respect lucas honesty. You know, if you're not playing defense and then you play defense, it's good to let people know you're playing defense. And Fritzie is pretty much the only person I can actually relate to on this show because he won't take a pie in the face. What do you get at that? You know, and it's not like you're buying me and my family dinner or anything else. Brother and way to go a three piece had a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Wait, what did you do wrong? Todd?
Speaker 6: I don't know what he was referring to.
Speaker 2: Todd, You've taken pies to the face.
Speaker 5: I've taken a number of pies to the face, and I just signed up for a wedding cake to be put in my face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm not sure. I gave you a little shot. That's a right back Rows getting roughed up this week.
Speaker 6: It's gotta get your fact straight before you start taking shots.
Speaker 3: He's gonna come at to King. I felt like that was actually in supportive Todd. Oh it was, Yeah, I don't think that he was taking a shot at Todd. I think he was supporting Todd. Oh okay, and then.
Speaker 2: Like Todd gets hit in the face. But what does he get out of it? It's not like.
Speaker 3: Anybody's getting it. But I don't know, maybe I'm wrong'kay, I don't know. It's not you think that normal that people come to Todd's defense.
Speaker 6: Well, if there what's supportive?
Speaker 2: Thank you Lynn and Colorado? Hey Lynn, what's on your mind?
Speaker 1: Hey day?
Speaker 16: Happy birthday? Five eight one eight five And just just the PSA for Todd. Not only does your ticket stubs say section, row and seat, it also says the time and date of that event for which you should show up to it.
Speaker 5: Here you go, get it together, people, find your seat and get out of the way.
Speaker 2: What's the problem. No, you showed up at the wrong time for the Broncos game against the.
Speaker 6: Jets, giving me a little sex row.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, he's saying you should you know, listen to your own advice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, getting there four and a half hours in the point ram before the start of the game is not a good time.
Speaker 2: So you thought it was a one o'clock start?
Speaker 5: Yes, I got there like twelve plenty of times to get some food find our seats four oh five kickoff?
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 3: Final results of the poll question Seaton, who you got this weekend? Scottie Scheffler of the field seventy percent? Now have the fields U? And if the NBA MVP vote was decided today, Nikola Jokich is still running away with that one.
Speaker 2: Jalen Brunson now in second.
Speaker 3: Yeah you should be, Yeah, he should be, say Gil just Alexander last place? Oh yeah, let's see, how about we go around the room.
Speaker 2: What did you learn on the program today, Todd?
Speaker 6: The Chiefs are playing at the Bills mid November.
Speaker 2: And wouldn't you know what.
Speaker 5: Taylor Swift performing in Toronto then because you can comfortably attend the game.
Speaker 9: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Coincidence?
Speaker 3: I think not see no con as far as he's aware. Kirk Cousins is the starting quarterback I know of the Falcons. I wanted to know could he play today? And he said if they were in the Super Bowl today then he would be able to play.
Speaker 2: Marvin Judy Dench also for her achilles, Yeah, Dame Judy Dench. Also Brad Pitt and George Clooney have ruptured their achilles. Yes, Paul Orlowsky, big crier. Yeah I no, yeah so am I? Uh yeah, Todd? What did I learn today?
Speaker 5: We all learned you put your family on the clock to get dinner moving quickly and suggested they take two cars.
Speaker 2: You can get home only ninety minutes. Is enough door to door, celebrate my birthday, having dinner, and then come back and let me have some peace and quiet. Tirerac dot com, the official tire expert of the Dan Patrick Show. Use the easy to use Tire Decision Guide, Free Road Hazard Protection, Mobile tire installation. Tire rec dot com the way tire buying should be. Talk to you tomorrow.