Speaker 1: Welcome everyone. It is Thursday, October thirtieth, and you are listening to Amy and TJ.
Speaker 2: And we are now in the final countdown to Halloween. It is our Halloween Horror hit list and we are already at number two.
Speaker 1: You're feeling good about our choices.
Speaker 3: We me already at it's been a month already at it's blown by it. It hasn't flown. This has been a long, hard haul. We have been, you know, to just watch horror movies all day. It seems like, well.
Speaker 1: We do every day.
Speaker 3: It seems like it would put you in a down a in a dark move. This is uplifting to us. I always say hearing people screaming is like our white noise in the house.
Speaker 2: It is embarrassing sometimes though, if strangers are around, or if someone's calling and they hear someone screaming in the background.
Speaker 1: For us, it's.
Speaker 3: Just a Tuesday that has absolutely happened on zoom calls or something at the house. We're like, oh my god, what's happening. It sounds like somebody's being murdered in the second room. But no, this is great and we're at number two. And this, folks, we will tell you right now I am guarunteeing you will be crying in this movie. I don't care who you are. There will be tears in your eyes and at least one and possibly two moments in this movie.
Speaker 2: I have seen this movie personally, I mean at least at least six or seven times. We just rewatched it before we recorded this and once again, sobbing. Not just a few tears wiping away, I mean just powerful, powerful acting, powerful storytelling, all set in a zombie apocalypse.
Speaker 3: And one more thing for you here, folks, how extraordinary this movie is. You're gonna be crying. This movie is so ub titled the entire time. It is not in English, and the dubbing is not available or is it.
Speaker 2: Well, it might be for some folks, but it isn't on Netflix. Okay, you have to watch it with the subtitle, folks.
Speaker 3: This is a special special movie.
Speaker 2: It is our number two on our horror hit list, and it is trained to Bussan And this is one of the greatest horror films ever made ever, ever, and it was released back in twenty sixteen. It's an hour and fifty eight minutes, so it's on the longer side of our horror movies. It's rated R. It fully fully gets that rating for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 3: It deserves it.
Speaker 2: Yet but this synopsis is a man, his estranged daughter, and other passengers become trapped on a speeding train during a zombie outbreak in South Korea.
Speaker 3: That is so simplistic. That is such a dumbing down of how extraordinary this movie is. That is one hundred percent accurate, but there is so much that goes into every relationship, every moment, every scenario, and everything going on. That synopsis is accurate, but doesn't do this movie justice.
Speaker 2: That's right, And I feel like because of the foreign language aspect of this film, perhaps a lot of folks didn't necessarily.
Speaker 1: Jump on this train or watch it.
Speaker 2: Now that it's on Netflix, I feel like maybe more of you might have seen it. But this has been something I've been screaming from the rooftops.
Speaker 1: Somehow I watched this movie.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I heard word about it, but I have been watching this movie for I feel like almost a decade now since it came out.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize it was sold until you just said it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Realized yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And this was another one before people were so into these types of films.
Speaker 1: People were like, what what, what film were you talking about?
Speaker 2: In fact, I believe that you watched this upon my recommendation, and you were a little reticent.
Speaker 3: Because I don't like subtitles. I hate, hate, hate, hate hate subtitles. And I hate it when so many younger folks, now certainly your daughter's generation, Sabine not so much, they watch every movie with subtitles. On movies in English, they want to read along while the movie's going. I hate that.
Speaker 1: I mean Game of Thrones.
Speaker 2: It's helpful when you have strong accents, even when someone speaking English, if it's Scottish or if it's a very cockney accent. I appreciate a subtitle.
Speaker 3: I hear that, But it doesn't matter what we're watching. It can be as plain the English. It could be whatever that what's that river show on Netflix? Something River, Virgin River.
Speaker 1: Virgin River is definitely Neflix.
Speaker 3: Okay. I don't know why that one came to mind. What I'm saying, the most American and American accent of movies, they still turn on subtitles just to read. Why again, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like you don't miss anything that way, and if you get used to it, like The thing is, once you start watching this film, oh I get it. You you forget you're even reading it, but you're getting reinforced with whatever's been said.
Speaker 1: You don't miss anything.
Speaker 3: You don't miss anything thing because the younger generation isn't paying attention. Correct, they don't have this saying they're not listening for new or okay, I'll get.
Speaker 1: It's like a text message.
Speaker 2: On top of it is the verbal kill, so that they're reinforced. Their brain sees it and hears it, and it's better that way because they're probably distracted doing something else.
Speaker 3: But despite the point is despite all that, this movie still plays.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so the box office it did well ninety five million worldwide. I think that's fairly significant for a foreign Lange language film. Here, but the cast, you won't know the name's gone you, but you will know his face. If you love squid Games, that was your big moment when you had already watched squid Games.
Speaker 1: I think maybe.
Speaker 2: Perhaps before you saw trained Bussan Oh yeah, and you were like, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, it's the guy for squid Games.
Speaker 3: And this is the guy. Of course you all watch squid Game. He's the recruiter. He's kind of the slick, put together, buttoned up. He's almost sinister because he's so calm in everything he does. But he's one of the handsome in a suit recruiting people to be in the game. And in this one he kind of is the same handsome, put together guy a little colder, but he becomes your favorite.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's the hedge fund manager who everyone loves to hate in the movie but ends up being a huge.
Speaker 1: Part of the heart of this movie.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I can watch this again right now, The director yan saying, ho, I hope I said that right. But Rotten Tomatoes, I have to say, agrees with us on this one. The Rotten Tomatoes score among the highest you will find, ninety five percent. That's among the critics. The audience score not far below eighty nine percent. This is one where the two really agree with each other. And when you have such rave reviews, it's actually this is one of the closest, this high up where the audience and the critics agree that it is this good of a.
Speaker 1: Why do you love it?
Speaker 3: We like zombie movies. If you're a Walking Dead fan, those things, you know. The best one I could compare this to is is World war Z if you're a fan of that movie. And again, I get a little turned off sometimes about the big disaster movies where the the the emotional, the family dynamic is so central to the story. But this is one that is there, like there are several family dynamics and relationships that play out. And again, a foreign language film, and it delivers. I'm reading the emotion and I still feel everything.
Speaker 1: This is a special movie, you know what was cool about? Like you point that out.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes in these apocalyptic movies they want to create it's almost it almost feels this forced, unnatural bond between people where you're just like, come on, come on, stop it with the Pollyanna. Everything's like wonderful. We all love each other so much, Cora.
Speaker 3: That's it. It's not done well.
Speaker 2: This is nuanced and it is real life. It's not perfect. The relationships aren't great. And yet when you're forced to actually recognize what's important and what's not, when everything else is going to shit. I do love that in the face of all the messiness of life, it all comes together pretty succinctly.
Speaker 1: I love that all right.
Speaker 2: The critic consensus here it is trained to Bussan delivers a thrillingly unique and purely entertaining take on the zombie genre, with fully realized characters and plenty of social commentary to underscore the bursts of skillfully staged action.
Speaker 3: What was that part the first part you said, fully realized characters, fully realized characters. I don't know how they did it. I didn't realize it was happening, but I cared so much about almost everybody I saw. There's even a whole thing having to do with a youth baseball team. Even I was caught up in their world and what was happening to them, And oh, my god, and the one kid that was kind of left behind on the team and he had to see his teammates.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was so odd. And again, in its messiness, it wasn't. You didn't have characters who were good and characters who were bad. You had everyone in between. And I think that's why we all related with the folks on the train, because there was something in all of them, in all of us.
Speaker 3: There was something imperfect in everybody. But then the same thing that think, the thing they had in common, ends up being the thing that brings them all together and makes this work. Because of human story some of the stuff we're talking about now, I didn't kind of piece and put together until I'm talking it out with you. But this is now of them thinking about it more and more. This I don't know what award is one and how that went. This is a special movie and South Korean horror. If you get a chance to check out any Korean horror movies, they know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Over it, they really do. It's so good. Even one of our aforementioned.
Speaker 2: Movies on the list, Cavin in the Woods, makes a nod to Asian horror. They actually make a joke about how they're usually so good at it. And they actually showed some scenes of Asian horror in the Cabin in the Woods, which is actually so funny because it does it does almost pay homage to Asian horror in that movie. It was a funny moment. Anyway, I digress. Here are some of the critic reviews that some up what we completely concur with. Trained to Busan is arguably the best zombie apocalypse movie of all times. Yes, that is the subgenre finds in Young saying Ho. That is the director's mind mind blowing flick, the masterpiece it deserves. I can't find a single flaw. It left me emotionally drained.
Speaker 1: This is from a critic.
Speaker 3: It the emotional part of it is unexpected because the I think it's if you to take out the zombie stuff, and if I was just watching this movie from some of the emotional and the relationship standpoint, I wouldn't have liked it because I don't go for a movie like that. I don't want to it's not your jam. I don't want to see drama and family drama and play on pain and I don't want to see that ever, would that would have been turned off. You put this in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, and it makes that story about the family relevant in a different way. It makes it relatable even in a different way. Oh, I can't say it enough. This should have been number one.
Speaker 1: I know, No, no, Actually, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, when I start reading the rest of the critic reviews, we're gonna maybe regret our. Oh no, our ranking. All right, here's the next one. To your point, I would say the hardest part of horror is to make the audience feel empathy. A good horror story only feels horrifying if you feel it's being done to someone you care about, and that's exactly what this movie does.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm trying to think about other movies and that whole premise it's happening to somebody you care about, you know, that's not always there for me in a lot of these movies.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's just fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you don't want to care about the person because then it wouldn't be fun.
Speaker 3: And there is I'm thinking about. To all of the people in this movie, there's only one guy we probably didn't care about. They'd even made a very good He was over the top despicable.
Speaker 2: But that actually elicited emotions that actually carried the film.
Speaker 3: But it was that emotion at the time was useful in the movie because we didn't have anywhere to direct it. We didn't actually have an enemy in the movie. Even the zombies. We can't be mad at. This just happened to these people. There was only one guy, I would say, as an antagonist in a zombie movie, right.
Speaker 1: That is so true? Wow? All right, here's another one.
Speaker 2: One of the most compelling, exciting, and captivating action horror hybrids in years. It grabs the heart as well as the soul speeding to a satisfying emotional climax. That's all good here is I found a bad one among the critics. You know what I was laughing at when you have a movie that is this well reviewed and is this beloved. Honestly, I think anyone who watches this film who I have spoken to, doesn't just say I liked it or it was good. They actually have an emotional connection to loving this movie. So I always think it's funny when you've got a critic who says something nonchalant or bad about something.
Speaker 3: Don't annoy me with this. They have no.
Speaker 2: Idea that everyone else loved it, and their comment stands in the sea of a completely different climate.
Speaker 1: No matter what angle you're looking at this from. We've seen it before.
Speaker 3: What this is fine? Fine?
Speaker 1: That is hilarious to me.
Speaker 2: And I wonder if that guy now or that gal I don't know who wrote it, but now says maybe.
Speaker 1: Maybe I was being a little too cynical.
Speaker 3: We've seen that again. Those things are just dismissive. Yes, it's a zombie movie. Have we seen one before? Yes? Have we seen a family central to it? Yes? Have we seen bad people behave in them? Yet we've seen all of it done before. We've never seen it done like this. And I know that I've seen a bunch of movies, a lot of horror movies, a lot of zombie movies. I haven't seen it done like this before.
Speaker 2: Wow, we have been talking about Trained to Bison for quite some time. We've got a few audience reviews because I also just fell so validated by all of this. By far, the most emotional and tear jerking zombie movie I have ever seen, and easily one of the best zombie movies ever.
Speaker 1: Made ever period ever.
Speaker 2: All Right, the perfect zombie date drama. If you were not in tears or at least choked up by the end, you need to call your doctor and have your meds checked. Yes, and here's another one. An incredible film from start to finish. This is filmmaking at its finest, combining genres seamlessly while creating a heartfelt, character driven, socially intricate fable admits a zombie breakout knockout performances from the entire cast as well, especially the Little Girl.
Speaker 1: It really doesn't get better than this.
Speaker 3: And this is a two hour movie that doesn't feel like it.
Speaker 2: It's so true all right, you want you want to hear, and then you want to hear the bad audience review that I saw that I had to include because I knew it would evoke an emotion. This film is an absolute joke. It makes no sense whatsoever. First of all, why did they cast a woman who is clearly in her thirties to play a grandmother?
Speaker 1: You did point that out.
Speaker 3: And she's not even central to the movie. This is the problem you have, okay, And.
Speaker 2: Why on earth with this grandmother open a door to a bunch of zombies. He's upset about a moment in the movie. It's not even the biggest She's not even a central character.
Speaker 1: Right, he said.
Speaker 2: Then there's this guy at the end who decides to put his hand in the mouth of a zombie. Real cinematic brilliance there, because, as everyone knows, the best way to fight a biting zombie is literally to offer up your own body part.
Speaker 1: Genius. I'm sorry that part of the film is one of the most emotional, amazing.
Speaker 2: And critical incredible parts of the movie. And the fact that I'm just the point is, when you read some of these bad reviews, recognize that I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: They just don't get it, and.
Speaker 3: I encourage all of you not to be that person. Don't be that contrarian this person. What is your problem like that? That's something is going on with that person. I'm serious. That is not being critical of a movie and the creative licenses. You are just being a contrarian trying to find a reason to pick and to find something negative. Yes, what do they say, if you want to find something positive, you can If you want to find something negative, you can do that too. That I hate. Look, this is not even about the movie. Now I'm going off on something else. Why be that person be critical? It wasn't for me. I didn't like the choice they made doing here being sarcacic. Maybe they're trying to be funny and sarcastic. I'm taking it too seriously, But too often we see this attitude where our only reaction to things is to be a contrariant or to be outraged.
Speaker 2: Why exactly? I mean, this is not a bad day because this movie is amazing.
Speaker 3: Or having a bad life or whatever, but projecting onto a film, whatever's going on with you? And you don't sound legit. You're disqualified from the conversation by what you just added.
Speaker 2: I think the interesting thing about that is it does offer a glimpse into other negative comments about any subject you want to talk about in life, and it's just a reminder not to take comments so seriously.
Speaker 1: All Right, when we come back, we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna reiterate why this movie made our list to it's for, it's not for food, drink pairing, and where to watch it. Continuing our conversation about our number two on our horror hitless, we are talking about Trained to Busan and why it made our list. I mean, this is a movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat, just with the action and the horror and the who's gonna die next, who's going to live?
Speaker 1: That kind of thing? But my god, the heart.
Speaker 2: I dare anyone to watch this film and not be moved at the end in ways that you couldn't expect.
Speaker 3: No, you get caught up and get emotional, and sometimes in a lot of horror movies, this is, uh, this one's different. And again I am saying to you, I guarantee you will be in tears at the end of this I don't care who you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's not.
Speaker 2: And that's not even something you expected when I first watched this movie. I had no idea, and I did I fully explain to you when you watched it what you were going to feel. Maybe I wasn't sure how you were going to take it because of the whole subtitles thing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I wasn't. That's just me.
Speaker 1: You had no expectations.
Speaker 3: It's just me. Yeah, I expected not to like it because I don't like reading subtitles.
Speaker 1: And at the end you were wiping tears.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, this is I'm guaranteeing everybody will be in tears. I am guaranteed. Go ahead, take it as a challenge. I don't give a damn. You will be in tears. You don't have to come back and were you're going to write in say no, I wasn't in tears, TJ, Yes you were. You're gonna be lying, all right.
Speaker 1: So who this movie is for?
Speaker 2: I think if you are somebody who knows you love to be invested, If you love to watch a movie and be invested in who lives, who dies, in the characters, and that's your jam.
Speaker 1: This is your movie.
Speaker 2: Also, if you like action, if you like a thrilling horror movie where you are literally on a ride with the characters. This is a movie for you. It's action packed, it's heartfelt, there are real scares and thrills in it, and it gets you talking and thinking about your own life. I mean this really, I feel like this runs the gamut from horror movie fans to folks who love movies with intention and purpose and thought provoking, even emotion provoking movies.
Speaker 3: This has all rom com This is the only person is not for if you're a rom com fans. Really, that's the only element it doesn't have in there and has mystery, action, excitement, drama, all these things. But yeah, it's there's a I'm trying to think of even a comedic moment. I think they might have been won or here randomly, but not. It was this was. This is intense.
Speaker 2: And that little girl, I don't think we've spoken enough about how much of a scene stealer, heart stealer she is. She reminded me of Sabine from the moment I watched this movie. I Sabine was a little three year old girl when this movie was out. And the lead little girl, what is she in this movie?
Speaker 3: Six six seven sols?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a facial expression she makes throughout that reminded me of Sabine from the moment I watched this, and we should watch it with her when it's appropriate, because I wonder if she could see herself in this movie. There's a quiet strength and sweetness about her that reminds me of.
Speaker 3: She's the best actor in the movie. Without a doubt, she's the best actor in this Little Girl.
Speaker 1: It's remarkable what she's able to pull off. So in the Who's it Not for?
Speaker 2: It's funny because I had written if you don't like to read subtitles or foreign films, but that doesn't actually apply because you were in that category, and I think it's still for you. I think this is for everybody. And if you're going to be cynical or want to be a contrarian, maybe not for you.
Speaker 1: But other than that, this movie is for you.
Speaker 3: The horror is extreme, though you need to be aware though that it is very violent. You have zombies people and eating people essentially, so it is foun correct.
Speaker 2: And in the food drink pairing, I would say avoid anything like pizza or stew or anything that just you wouldn't want to eat while you're a meat while you're watching this, but I would I was gonna say go with the South Korea thing. You could go for some bulgogie or some chicken and fries, some beer. Korean South Koreans love their beer, so all of that would be fun. So that would be one idea to pair it with. But honestly, this is just a fun, popcorn intensity, full intensity kind of a movie. You can just whatever action movie food pairing you'd put it with. This is the movie for you, and you can watch this on Netflix. So yes, just be prepared for subtitles no dubbing on Netflix right now. But it's easy to watch and man, I don't think you'll regret it for one second.
Speaker 3: No, you have to watch this movie. Maybe out of all the movies we have, this might be my number one recommendation, even though it's not number one. If there's one you have to watch that is going to get everybody that I don't think is going to be controversial, like everybody is going to feel this movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, agreed? All right?
Speaker 2: So speaking of number one, Yes, that is our next episode. Halloween is tomorrow. How would you tease this movie?
Speaker 3: Babe? Shockingly, the one we recommend on Halloween is probably the one with the fewest jumps scares and gore, and it happens to be rated PG thirteen. Wow.
Speaker 1: How's that for a tease?
Speaker 2: And we still assure you this is given a lot of thought and a lot of time, our number one movie in our Halloween Horror hit list, and without everyone, I'm may be Robock alongside TJ.
Speaker 1: Holmes. We will talk to you soon.