Speaker 1: Act two, Sal and the young porn star have become friends, and Sal feels obliged to protect her from Vince, who now wants her dead because he knows Harrah betrayed him. Vince is stuck between the code of the past and a morality he never had to face again. Interior William Pennhotel Lobby, Philly, early evening. Sala is at the check in desk with the third assistant manager as a young bell boy stands behind Sal with three pieces of luggage on a cart. The young bell boy keeps looking at Hara, who sits in a lobby chair with her legs crossed. She deliberately enjoys exciting the young bellboy. Sal notices as he fills out forms.
Speaker 2: Would like a joining rooms and put it on the company cart.
Speaker 3: Sir, we have a suite available with the king size.
Speaker 2: Did I ask for that?
Speaker 1: The clerk winks.
Speaker 4: The Uncle Charlie said, to give you the best, Sir, I just thought you and your your niece would be more in a suit, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Listen, assholes, She's not my niece. She's not my cousin. She's not my hump for the night. She's my she's uh, look, I'm a.
Speaker 5: Driver, Yes, sir, Rooms one of five and.
Speaker 1: The clerk hands the bellboy two room key cards. While Sal waits for the credit card to go through, Haro walks by the young bell boy on the way to the elevator. She takes her key and calls out to Sal.
Speaker 3: Oh, driver, have this boy bring my luggage up.
Speaker 5: I'll tip him upstairs.
Speaker 1: The elevator closes, and the bellboy moves toward the luggage cart. Sal stops him and places a couple of bucks in his jacket pocket. Sal grabs the key card and luggage cart.
Speaker 2: Come back in about five years.
Speaker 1: Kid Keeley Smith sings, I can't believe you're in love with me. Interior Sal's hotel room. Evening, Sal comes out of his bathroom. He wears a t shirt and has a towel around his neck. He wipes his face. He looks at the adjoining door and knocks. No answer. He knocks again, then lowers the radio.
Speaker 2: You want, Dinna, everything's on Vince. The restaurant room serves anything you want. Just sign your name in your room number.
Speaker 6: Parah.
Speaker 2: You don't answer me, I gotta assume you're gone. And if you're gone, I gotta call Uncle Charlie. I know you don't want that.
Speaker 1: Sal tries the door and it's locked.
Speaker 2: Aarah Ara, do you hear me?
Speaker 3: I hear you.
Speaker 1: Sal sits in a chair, will leaf.
Speaker 2: For Pittsburgh at nine am. I'll meet you in the lobby. I hope a lot of shows. I mean that.
Speaker 1: Sweet dreams flash Lata and Harah making love to the John in the back of Sal's limo. Sal turns up the radio and we hear Keeley Smith singing into big white limo.
Speaker 2: Night.
Speaker 1: Uncle Charlie sits in a long white limo used for the night out. He sits back with a Scotch and soda. Charlie looks across at the John from the other night. Senator Baxter, you want a blast?
Speaker 7: Senator, No, thanks, Come on, we can celebrate your latest starring role.
Speaker 2: Your copy, Senator.
Speaker 1: Uncle Charlie hands Baxter of VHS cassette.
Speaker 6: What do you want?
Speaker 2: Charlie?
Speaker 6: Did I forget to say thanks? Well? Thanks for letting me fuck those sluts in your fancy car or crawled up your ass. I want this over watch. What you wish for, you might just get it.
Speaker 1: Charlie laughs as the door to limo opens and Vince steps inside.
Speaker 8: Ah, good evening, Senator. I hope Uncle Charlie here has been good company in my absence.
Speaker 6: He's a great conversationalist.
Speaker 8: You tell you about my first hit. I was just a kid, and Uncle Charlie here get to the point, right to the point. I like that, all right. Let's get to the point, Senator. I told you to never never to call me while we're in the.
Speaker 3: Who wrote this shit?
Speaker 8: Right to the point. I liked that?
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 8: Let's get to the point, Senator, I told you never never to call me while we're mediating the negotiations between my union and the city. I gave you an order and you didn't listen. That's the point.
Speaker 6: You're good at giving orders. Let's knock off the cops and wops. Bullshit.
Speaker 2: What's the matter?
Speaker 8: Didn't you like the movie uncle Charlie gave you.
Speaker 6: I already got a copy from one of your sluts. That's right. In other words, she is trying to fuck us both. She says, I don't pay. She's got a real surprise for me.
Speaker 1: Baxter throws the cassette.
Speaker 7: Vince, Charlie, this must be why Lotty didn't leave with sal and.
Speaker 3: The other one.
Speaker 8: I already have a ton of film on you and every other big shot in this city. I didn't have to make a new one.
Speaker 6: I didn't think you knew. That's why I'm here. This is too cheap, even for you, chump change. It's a matter of Vince can control your own people.
Speaker 8: You just do your job at those negotiations. We'll take care of this.
Speaker 6: No e, Vince. This time you're gonna listen to me.
Speaker 2: Eh.
Speaker 8: And why should I do that?
Speaker 6: Because I'm the only one in a position to help you in your union. So you are going to do as I say this time. I want to know what the surprise is. I want every copy, and I want those two sluts to be gone for good. That driver too.
Speaker 7: The driver is my man, sold to a twelve year stretch for us because.
Speaker 6: He wouldn't talk, all right, But I want the tapes and proof those girls being dead.
Speaker 2: You got it?
Speaker 3: Now get out.
Speaker 1: As Baxter starts to exit the limo.
Speaker 6: This kind of thing should be easy for you, Vince. It'll feel like the old days when all you needed was a little muscle and no brains.
Speaker 1: Baxter exits.
Speaker 2: I want lot of found Baxter.
Speaker 8: Once proof She's dead and I want to give it to him myself.
Speaker 1: Punk interior front seat of Lincoln town car. Late morning, Sal drives through Amish Country. Lena Horn sings stormy weather. Para sits in the back as the beautiful countryside streams by her window silence. Sal pulls over at the Amish Country Eatery, promising a real Amish country breakfast. Exterior Amish Country Eatery is seventy six late morning off root is seventy six, near Somerset. There's a vegetable stand attached to the eatery, Amish people as well as nicely dressed tourists mingle. Sal gets out, and his black suit, white shirt, and black tie help him blend into this stoic environment. Sal opens the back door of the town car. Harah gets out, looking more trashy than ever. Leather pants, stiletto heels, and a sea through top. She heads for the eatey as Sal looks to Heaven, then closes the door. An elderly Amish couple exit the eatery and can't help but stare at Hara. Hara stares back. Sal tips his chauffeur's hat, then throws it through the driver's side, open window interior. Amish country eatery continuous Sala and harra sit in a wooden carved booth. An Amish waitress dressed in simple black and white comes over.
Speaker 3: Would THEE like our country morning meal for two?
Speaker 2: I just have some of the Irish oat, milk, coffee.
Speaker 3: And juice for THEE?
Speaker 5: What's this the shit?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, she's from New York.
Speaker 4: I want the thick slice French toast sausage with juice and coffee.
Speaker 5: Honey, you got a phone here?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 5: We don't believe in them. What are you a wise ass?
Speaker 2: Just get off breakfast and I'll explain it to her.
Speaker 1: The waitress is obviously flustered as she goes to the other waitresses at the register, and they whisper among themselves as the order is placed.
Speaker 5: It's the matter with these people.
Speaker 2: They're are foreigners, not exactly, it's their religion. They don't believe in modern things, computers and stuff. If it ain't in the Bible, they don't use it.
Speaker 3: Really, no shit.
Speaker 5: How about you a gram? Their men have seen you before, I doubt it.
Speaker 2: No movies with or without sex.
Speaker 5: No movies. Well, I guess they ain't missing.
Speaker 2: Much very self sufficient. Well nothing from the outside world.
Speaker 5: How do you know about this stuff?
Speaker 2: Limo drivers had a lot of time to read. We know a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like what like?
Speaker 2: I know that was no actor the other night. I also know a lot of made a copy of the tapes?
Speaker 5: How the hell do you know that?
Speaker 1: Sal smiles, Para knows She's just confirmed his suspicions. Coffee and juice comes. The waitress stares at Hara, who looks better?
Speaker 3: You see something you want?
Speaker 1: The waitress starts to say something, thinks better leaves a lot.
Speaker 5: I didn't make no tape.
Speaker 2: Fine to your funeral.
Speaker 3: You're gonna let me call Latta from a payphone?
Speaker 5: Why a payphone?
Speaker 2: So it can't be traced to the car, not from the hotel either. You go to the bathroom next time we stop, and I can't tell what you're doing?
Speaker 3: Thanks?
Speaker 2: Are you gonna tell me what's going on?
Speaker 3: Why should I? You already shown me?
Speaker 5: Which Betty rather lion?
Speaker 1: Another waitress arrives with Harah's big breakfast and a large bowl of Irish oatmeal and syrup psal. She also stares at Harah boom. The new waitress runs away. They eat their breakfast.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna be that easy to scare Vince away.
Speaker 5: I can take care of myself.
Speaker 2: What do you know about Vince.
Speaker 4: I know he was a sleezy hood and now he's a sleezy porno producer.
Speaker 2: Years ago, Vince was instrumental in setting up a citywide union in New York. That's his real power base. The union label leader that Vince put into his office got too big for his own good. Vince had him chopped up at the twenty four pots, and he had his pots kept fresh by storing them in a meat locker every month for two years. When the union had their monthly meeting, Vince melt them a different piece of this guy's body, just so they shouldn't forget.
Speaker 5: You should stay here with these people. You've been watching too much TV.
Speaker 1: Haarah goes back to eating her breakfast.
Speaker 2: The last piece Vince had shipped was his heart. There was a bite out of it.
Speaker 1: Harrah swallows hard.
Speaker 5: That where you learn how to use that razor cutting up dead people?
Speaker 2: No a chainsaw.
Speaker 1: Haarrah drops her fork, realizing the seriousness of her situation. Exterior I seventy six, Entering Pittsburgh early evening, Teresa Brewer sings after You're gone, with Count Basie conducting. We see what's left of the old steel mills, old Pittsburgh. We travel around the new city, now geared for insurance and services. We see the Lincoln Town Car enter the airport northwest of the city. Interior front seat of Lincoln town Car continuous. Sal is parked outside of American Airlines. He's alone. Parah rushes up and jumps into the car.
Speaker 3: She's not on the flight.
Speaker 2: Then I'd say, you're in deep shifts.
Speaker 5: He'll help me.
Speaker 3: Please, Look, kid.
Speaker 2: You don't cross a guy like Vince. I couldn't do much even if I wanted to tell me.
Speaker 3: Maybe I could just keep going.
Speaker 5: I can get on a plane right now and go to Europe or something.
Speaker 2: Got a pass put call a lot again at our New York number.
Speaker 1: Haarrah grabs the car phone.
Speaker 2: Not this phone, and not your cell. Vince will have a lot of phone tops, so be careful. Only cash at payphones and no using your own credit cards either for anything.
Speaker 1: Sal pulls out his cell phone.
Speaker 5: Can't check into my credit cards.
Speaker 2: Don't bet your life on that.
Speaker 3: Who are you calling my mother?
Speaker 2: I'm buying you one more day.
Speaker 5: Sao thanks, I mean it don't thank me.
Speaker 2: No skin off my nose probably won't do any good.
Speaker 1: Haah. Exits the car.
Speaker 2: Hello, Ma, Yeah, it's me. That's right, I'm on the cough phone. My I have to talk to Tony. Put me on hold and you could.
Speaker 1: Interior Sal's Kitchen, benson Hurst, Brooklyn, continuous. Carmela is on the phone with Sal. Donna is at the table having a cup of coffee. I don't have to put nothing on hold. Your nephew is right here. Yeah, I'll put him on.
Speaker 3: Anthony, it's your uncle Sal.
Speaker 1: Anthony comes to the phone a pipe wrench in his hand.
Speaker 5: Hey, uncle Sal, what's up?
Speaker 1: And I'm fixing Grahma's garbage disposal. Interior front seat of Lincoln Town Car continuous.
Speaker 2: I want you to get the Queen's and call me, not on the coll phone, from a bay phone. I'll explain when you call.
Speaker 1: Interior Seal's Kitchen, Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, continuous.
Speaker 3: What's up a uncle? Nothing, Matt.
Speaker 5: He just wants me to why are the stereo speakers in his room?
Speaker 3: It's so cheap, my brother? Hey, he knows what you should learn about a dollar.
Speaker 1: Interior front seat, Lincoln Town car continuous, sal turns up the volume and Ella Fitzgerald sings, I'm just a lucky sew and so.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Look, kids, I didn't do anything but get you one more day. Don't count on me. I'm not putting my head on the block for anyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, I understand one question.
Speaker 2: Why aren't these big shots worried about you having something over them?
Speaker 5: Did al Capone rob Banks?
Speaker 4: I don't capond and rob Banks because he would have been robbing his own money. Why kill the golden goose? You have any idea what they pay vents to be with a porn star. Next time you look at a corporation's angle report, notice the limo service account. Believe me, that's not for driving people to the airport or catering. Check any senator's catering account.
Speaker 3: My tax dollars got it.
Speaker 5: Word gets out of a double cross, and.
Speaker 2: It all ends the bombs are bigger crooks than I.
Speaker 4: Last year when we almost had that garbage strike, the two sides were so far apart. Vince arranged a little party with the city controller and the union negotiators. Me and Lata were there and a couple other girls. By the time the night was over. Everyone was on the same page. The city should give me a medal.
Speaker 2: Well on behalf of the city of New York. I thank you.
Speaker 5: I'm a fucking patriot.
Speaker 1: Interior hotel room in ERWINPA. Night, Hara is alone, looking out the window at the small suburban town. Haro thinks about what her life might have been. We hear Ella Fitzgerald singing when sal enters with a brown paper bag. Harah turns off the radio.
Speaker 3: Where you been all night?
Speaker 2: Drug store camel and these blank tapes back to my nephew. He's going to remove them very carefully and replace them with copies from the limo.
Speaker 5: Where are you going to get the copies?
Speaker 2: I did what you should have done. I covered my ass. Who is that John anyway?
Speaker 5: Senator Baxter, Shit.
Speaker 2: A lot of left you out to dry.
Speaker 5: We can use your copy. Tell Vince if anything happens to me, those tapes will get out.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding? Vince won't stand for that. He'd kill you for laughs. Besides, these tapes don't hurt him directly.
Speaker 5: Why don't your nephew just drop them off? Then it'll be faster.
Speaker 2: I don't want it to be faster. I also want them to see the postmark. I'll wrap this so easy to open one end. Jesus, I see the words there, but they're not there. Okay, here we go. I don't want it to be faster. I also want to see the postmark. I'll wrap this so it's easy to open from one end. I even made it look like a lot of calls you. But first things first.
Speaker 1: Seal picks up the phone.
Speaker 2: I'm asking for the last time, do you have a copy of the Limo tapes.
Speaker 3: I don't don't lie to me.
Speaker 1: I mean it so, I don't sell starts to dial.
Speaker 5: It's just that I could sell hangs.
Speaker 2: Up all right? If I call Charlie and find out something I don't know. If you hold anything back, anything that puts me in a wrong I'm gonna kill you myself and for your body across Vince's desk.
Speaker 5: It's more than just a tape of us.
Speaker 4: A lot is a whiz at this computer editing digital shit.
Speaker 5: She had it in college college.
Speaker 4: Don't look surprised. Half the girls in porn started in college. Got to pay off those college loans. Nothing for nothing to me. I can't even stop the time for flashing on the VCR. You know what I mean, go on a lot. I had a lot of footage of Baxter, you know, from TV. She even got some of her own stuff. Baxter talking to these young exec types. Well, some of those young guys were in the porn biz. Baxter didn't even know he was filmed. I mean, how could he with all the real cameras around. We film us fucking the porn guys, and we at it Baxter into the film with us fucking him. Get it looks like Baxter is starring in a porno flick.
Speaker 2: You're kidding me.
Speaker 4: No, she even has a title, how to Get Elected?
Speaker 5: Kind of catchy, right.
Speaker 4: I'm sure she hasn't had time to finished editing it, but that's the plan.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ, why would she do that? Wasn't the limo enough?
Speaker 5: Now, who's being naive? He's a single guy in politics. Sex with young girls would.
Speaker 4: Probably work for him, But a porn movie, that's well.
Speaker 2: That's as low as you can go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's the way you feel. And why bother.
Speaker 4: I'll just walk out of your life and take my chances. I wouldn't want you to get dirty.
Speaker 1: Harah goes to walk out as Sal starts dialing sit down.
Speaker 2: Why should I If you want to stay alive, just sit down and shut your mouth. Keep it shut, no matter what you hear me say to Charlie. You got that, you understand.
Speaker 3: I understand, Charlie.
Speaker 2: It's me the other broaden of a show. Look, Charlie, there's more going on in Evince may know they make copies. Tell me something we don't know. What you don't know is.
Speaker 1: That Interior La Salle Limo Service Garage continuous. Uncle Charlie's on the speakerphone.
Speaker 2: Oh film the broad I'm driving Howard. She told me she got scared shit when Lada didn't show. The whole thing was a Lota's idea.
Speaker 3: This one's the fat team, and you believe her.
Speaker 1: Interior hotel room in Irwin, PA. Continuous.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean she gave me her copy the tape from the Limo. I'm gonna send him back to overnight. Maam, I think she's too dumb.
Speaker 1: The lot Haarra gives Salad dirty look. Interior La sal Limo Service Office continuous.
Speaker 6: Oh hey, how smart they gotta be to do what they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, you got a lead on Lada. We're on it.
Speaker 6: Look after your mail of tape.
Speaker 7: You go on to Chicago, the rich Carlton on Pearson, you stay there till you hear from me.
Speaker 2: I want those tapes in Vince's hands. You got it.
Speaker 1: Charlie hangs up, then looks over to his desk where Vince is sitting. Vince goes to the window, showing a view of the huge garage at night. The long, dark garage, with shafts of city light coming through the high small windows above, gives the impression of a guic horror chamber.
Speaker 6: You heard, I heard.
Speaker 8: I think Sal's got the other end taken care of. Right now, I want to entertain our friend, the Senator.
Speaker 1: Vince grabs an old fashioned microphone off of Uncle Charlie's desk. He speaks into the microphone, his voice echoing through the garage.
Speaker 2: Well be right with.
Speaker 8: You, Senator.
Speaker 1: Camera pans the window to reveal Lada hanging by her bound hands from a lift over a grease pit used to work on the underbellies of the limos. Her feet barely touched the edge as she leans out on a forty five degree angle over the pit. Leo's mean looking dog, chained to a steel ring at the other end of the pit is jumping towards her. The Senator is seated a few feet away, Leo standing over him. Interior hotel room in ERWINPA. Night. Sal stares at the phone.
Speaker 5: Well say something.
Speaker 2: You got a couple of days, but your friend's going to be real dead, real soon.
Speaker 1: Flash in Sal's limo. Lada goes down on Baxter as Harrah kisses him. Interior La Sal Limo Service garage, late night. Vince and Uncle Charlie come out of the office and walk towards Senator Baxter as Lota begs for her life.
Speaker 3: Please Vince, Please, I'll do anything. I'll do anything you want.
Speaker 1: Vince stops by Lada and takes an air hose from the rack.
Speaker 8: Lada, don't bother to say anything. Please, how's our senator doing?
Speaker 6: Just fine?
Speaker 8: You like my place, top of the line, strictly legal, all right, Vince, Let's cut the edgarrell and post shit.
Speaker 6: I see you got her now send her away with Leo here and let me get back to what we were gonna.
Speaker 1: Baxter tries to stand, Leo pulls him down.
Speaker 6: Get out. What the hell are you want it?
Speaker 8: Proof, Senator? Now she's gonna be.
Speaker 3: Dead, please.
Speaker 1: Please, Vince smacks a Lota's face with the arrows.
Speaker 2: You shut your mouth.
Speaker 8: You dared to cross me, you worthless piece of shit.
Speaker 2: I was gonna cut you in.
Speaker 1: I was gonna give you the tapes.
Speaker 6: Oh you were huh?
Speaker 8: You were gonna give me a copy of the movie. You was gonna edit?
Speaker 3: Huh, huh, bitch.
Speaker 1: Vince smacks her again. A lot of screams, the dog barks, and the senator sweats as Uncle Charlie laughs.
Speaker 7: I was a big surprise, an X rated movie starring you, Vince.
Speaker 6: Do you have to what's the matter, Senator?
Speaker 2: Why you don't want to get your hands dirty?
Speaker 3: Vince?
Speaker 2: The Senator wants you to stop.
Speaker 3: Stop.
Speaker 8: Well, that's up to Lata here, Lotta. I want you to know that you are going to die. No, no, please, I have no choice. Now you die easy or you die hard.
Speaker 2: Up to you.
Speaker 8: Did you give a copy of the tape to Haarrah?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, Vince, only the one I sent back, Sir.
Speaker 5: I didn't make any more copies. I didn't have any time to do the editing I wanted, I swear no, Charlie.
Speaker 1: Vince goes to a workbench and gets a matt knife used for cutting engine hoses. Charlie directs his comments to Lada and the Senator.
Speaker 2: Sal got the copies from Hira.
Speaker 6: He's mailing them.
Speaker 3: Back to us.
Speaker 2: That is not true.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 1: This moves behind Lada. He pulls down her pants, exposing her stomach.
Speaker 8: Senator, you know how long a person's in testings are?
Speaker 3: Huh? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: He axked you a question.
Speaker 6: I don't know. Twenty to twenty five feet something like that.
Speaker 8: Hey, that's about right about as long as this air hose. You're a very smart guy.
Speaker 2: Isn't he a smart guy?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: He's very smart.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Vince?
Speaker 8: Vince, missus smart guy? You want to give one of my whores her last thrill, and you want.
Speaker 1: Anything? Charlie hits the senator answer no, Rince, no, as you wish. Vince reaches around her and makes a horizontal cut across Lota's lower stomach. He then reaches into her stomach and slowly pulls out her intestines. Latta stops screaming and hangs there and shot and looking at her intestines, slowly falling out into the pit. The dog chained at the other end of the pit goes wild. Vince tosses the knife, then walks to the Senator, Lotta's blood on his hands.
Speaker 6: Rince, Hope, could you what's the matter?
Speaker 8: Mister smart guy? You wanted it dead, you gave me orders. It'll take hours this way. I thought it would give you a kick like your other hobby, fucking porno stone.
Speaker 1: Prince, Rince, stop this, Charlie smiles.
Speaker 6: I think he's gonna throw up.
Speaker 8: All right, Senator, I'll end it quicker you, Leo.
Speaker 1: Leo goes to the end of the grease pit where the dog is and unfastens the chain holding back the dog. The dog runs to the intestines and starts eating them. Vin stands face to face with the senator during the following dialogue. Lotta is in the background, streaming at the top of her lungs as we hear the sound of the dog chewing.
Speaker 8: You ever talk to me again like that? You ever talk to me again like you did the other night, and what I do to you will make this look like a sundnight picnic. Now you are going to mediate the union contract talks the way I say, Isn't that right?
Speaker 2: Senator?
Speaker 1: Thea my god answer, yes, yes, A lot of screaming stops.
Speaker 8: If you don't, I'll skin you alive, right, Uncle Jarley, Yes.
Speaker 6: See who will?
Speaker 7: And Dan, I'll have me get shoes made out of your skin.
Speaker 8: So with each step I take, I'll be crushing you like the nothing you are. Charlie, let the smart man enjoy the rest of the show and you drive him home while Leo cleans up.
Speaker 7: You got it.
Speaker 1: Vince grabs the Senator's face with the bloody hands.
Speaker 2: I almost hope you fuck up again.
Speaker 1: We hear Dinah Shore singing sentimental journey as Vince slowly walks away. We see Senator Baxter's face with Latta's blood on it. We see Lada suspended from the lift and the dog jumping up trying to reach the rest of her intestines hanging exterior post office, Irwin, Pa. Early morning. Dinah Shore sings as Haarrah drops a letter into a mailbox outside the post office. She runs back to the car, leans against it and lights a cigarette. She looks across the street to see a greyhound bus pull up to a station. Sal comes out of the post office, gets in the car and shuts the radio. Just as Dinah finishes her song, Parrah gets in.
Speaker 2: You'll have it by tomorrow morning at ten noon the latest. Then what they buy it, you'll be okay. If they don't, I can't do anymore. I wonder where that bus is going. What if I got on and didn't get off till it stopped? Before you do? You better cut your hair, diet and change those clothes.
Speaker 4: You really got to hang up about my appearance, don't you.
Speaker 2: You'll need new papers too.
Speaker 5: I know I know where to now.
Speaker 2: We go to Chicago, just like they want. They won't do anything until they have those tapes. Then they'll give me the word and what to do next.
Speaker 5: What if they want me dead, Vince.
Speaker 2: Won't ask me to do that. They'll send somebody. Then then you sneak out of your room. I wake up. You're gone. I don't know where. Ask the nyclerk to call you a cab to the airport to cover my ass. You take another cab from the airport to Greyhound to cover your ass. Either way, I'm out of after this.
Speaker 5: If inspies what you said that I know nothing.
Speaker 2: Then I take you to LA so you could be a big star in your chosen profession.
Speaker 3: It's a job, some job, Look, it's what I do, It's what you do, It's your life.
Speaker 1: Flash Haraah looking straight at camera while astride the Senator. She throws a seductive kiss to camera. Exterior I seventy six to I eighty ninety Pit to Chicago, Day to Night. Peggy Lee sings The Lady is a tramp over The following silent scene Haah sitting in the front alongside Sal and considering the situation, they have an animated conversation. We see Harah laughing. Indiana goes by. In the background, Sal points out things to Harah. Twilight then darkness. As we enter the Windy City the Ritz Carlton on Pearson. As they enter Chicago, we hear in voiceover.
Speaker 2: Did you really think you could blackmail Vince?
Speaker 4: Lata wasn't going a blackmail Vince. He was going to set Vince up and get a nice reward from the Senator.
Speaker 2: You're kidding.
Speaker 4: She was going to tell the Senator that the movie was Vince's idea, that Vince was going to blackmail him, and then she was going to give him the tape of the porn foot. The Senator gets rid of Vince and she gets a reward.
Speaker 2: Two big problems with that One, Vince always plays by the rules. Everyone knows that.
Speaker 5: A real man of honor in his world.
Speaker 2: Yes, and two, Vince is not the Senator's boy. The Senator is Vince's boy. Whenever there's a problem, the Senator comes to him, not the other way around.
Speaker 3: Now you tell me.
Speaker 1: Peggy Lee continues singing, The lady is a trap. Interior hallway room, Ritz, Carlton, Hotel night. The bell boy puts the bags down in front of a hotel room door. He's about to open it when Sal stops him with a tip. Peggy Lee stops, singing.
Speaker 2: Thanks, I'll take her from here.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sir, He smiles broadly. Pleasure to meet you, mis reems, Yeah, the same. The bellboy exits.
Speaker 2: You take my room, I'll take yours.
Speaker 5: Why I don't want you?
Speaker 2: Just do as I say. I'll get your bags.
Speaker 1: Sal and Harah enter the hotel room. Sal puts down the bags and sits by the desk as Hara lays down on the bed.
Speaker 2: Now, tomorrow morning, I have to go someplace alone. You just stay here.
Speaker 5: Why can't I go with you?
Speaker 2: It's a personal thing.
Speaker 5: You're setting me up, aren't you.
Speaker 2: It's not that at all.
Speaker 5: This is where they told you to leave me.
Speaker 2: How could you say that after I put my ass on a line for you?
Speaker 5: All Right, you insult me, I insult you. Now tell me what's going on.
Speaker 2: I have a son. What I have a son who lives just outside the city here. I'd like to see him. Just be for a couple hours. You'll be safe.
Speaker 5: Safe, they know I'm here.
Speaker 2: How about I bring you to a nice restaurant in the morning.
Speaker 5: How about you bring me with you.
Speaker 2: That wouldn't be a good idea.
Speaker 4: Oh, I guess it wouldn't look good. Hi, your son seeing you with someone like me?
Speaker 3: That, ain't it fine?
Speaker 5: I owe you one, So just dump me off somewhere anywhere.
Speaker 2: You got it wrong.
Speaker 3: Don't bother kid.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's not you when they set me up. My wife left me. Not that I blame him. I haven't seen my son since he was twelve years old. He's older than you now. I tried to write him while I was in prison. He never answered. I wrote him when I got out, but nothing ever came back. He's married now, and I'd like to give it one last shot. I'd like to know what it's like to talk with my son again.
Speaker 5: On the level. You ain't bullshitting.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't know how to do that.
Speaker 5: Just drop me wherever you want.
Speaker 2: Okay, how about you come? You wait in the car, whatever you say, I'll knock on the door at night.
Speaker 1: Sal rises to leave and Harah leans into his arms.
Speaker 5: Thanks Sal, thanks for everything.
Speaker 1: Sal hugs her back. Then let's go and exits. Haarrah turns on the radio and we hear Strip Club Disco Interior, Private Eye Club. Late morning, Uncle Charlie and Leo sit at the bar as a young girl is in the middle of her audition as a strip. Anthony, carrying the mailed tapes, walks in. He has a hard time taking his eyes off the young girl.
Speaker 2: Well, Anthony, what are you doing here?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 5: Uncle Charlie, Uncle SAAL's anthey's to me. I'm supposed to hand them to Vince.
Speaker 3: Mister DeLaura.
Speaker 6: Why you send them to you? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Vince walks in behind Anthony because he's smart.
Speaker 3: Hi, mister DeLaura, my uncle Sal says, to give these to you.
Speaker 1: Vince looks at the postmark and slides it to Charlie as Anthony keeps looking at the stripper.
Speaker 8: It's from Pittsburgh, you know. What's in this package?
Speaker 3: To quote my uncle Sal, I don't know, and I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Vince and Charlie laugh. Vince puts an arm around Anthony.
Speaker 6: That's the right answer, kid.
Speaker 8: How would you like.
Speaker 2: To know her? How would I like to her?
Speaker 5: I'd love to, but Uncle Sall would kill me.
Speaker 1: Vince peels off a bill and puts it in Anthony's pocket.
Speaker 8: When you graduate college, you come see me. I got a great graduation gift for you.
Speaker 1: Vince nods towards the girl.
Speaker 3: Eh, thanks, mister DeLaura.
Speaker 5: You'll be seeing me, yes, sir.
Speaker 1: He leaves good kid.
Speaker 6: So what about the girl?
Speaker 8: Send leo.
Speaker 6: Sal thinks she's clean.
Speaker 8: I want to send another message to our smart senator.
Speaker 9: What if Sal tries to stop me?
Speaker 3: He won't, But.
Speaker 2: What if he does?
Speaker 8: Sal would never be that stupid.
Speaker 6: He treats these horse like there was his own. What if he tries?
Speaker 8: If sALS tries, he will Yeah, I wouldn't bet on that little respect?
Speaker 2: Would do you some good? Trust me on this.
Speaker 7: And Sull's not one of these stumble bumps and knocked out in a ring. I mean, he knows more ways to put you away than anyone I ever met. And I should know because I taught him.
Speaker 6: That's so.
Speaker 8: Look, if Sal tries to stop you, you have my permission to try and kill me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you try.
Speaker 7: You want to bring an extra set of boxing gloves.
Speaker 8: You think too much of us, Bump, But only if if he tries to protect the girl, which he won't.
Speaker 1: Interior Hallway, Ritz Carlton Hotel, Chicago, nine am. Sal knocks on Harrah's door. The door opens and Harris stands there. Her hair is dyed back to its natural color. She wears a very conservative navy blue pantsuit with a basic white blouse. For the first time, she wears no makeup. She's the daughter. Anyone would be proud of the child. Sal never got to.
Speaker 4: Know you look you look very nice suits from the hotel boutique.
Speaker 2: You look special.
Speaker 5: Don't get any ideas I just did this case.
Speaker 4: I have to run for my life. This has nothing to do with senior kidder anything like that.
Speaker 1: Haarrah exits and Sal smiles and follows her. Eda James sings a Sunday Kind of Love. Exterior black Lincoln town Car late morning traveling. Eda sings as Sal drives the town car along the Great Lake towards glen Coe, Illinois. As we get to the instrumental portion of the song, we hear the following voiceover.
Speaker 3: Sal what'd you go to prison for running hot diamonds?
Speaker 5: Diamonds?
Speaker 2: Really, I'd pick up a truckload of fish packed in ice and bring them to Saint Louis. We'd let the ice melt and there with a dime.
Speaker 5: That's funny, hot ice on ice.
Speaker 2: They must have wondered why we were still using ice inside a refrigerated truck. They got me on the fence, you know, Sid halts Vin set them up in your business.
Speaker 3: A vattled Perver was.
Speaker 5: A big time fence.
Speaker 1: Interior front seat of Lincoln town car continuous. Haara sits in the back, but the window between them is open. They talk like father and daughter out for a Sunday drive.
Speaker 2: One of the best.
Speaker 4: Oh I know him. All Vince's girls know him. Most of us started there. Runs that big club in Saint Louke.
Speaker 2: Vince owns it.
Speaker 5: Sick old dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we took a twelve rep because he wouldn't turn over who.
Speaker 3: He was working for twelve years. Serve date still thought why they owe you?
Speaker 2: Because he stood up and not much choice really, I rat and I'm dead. Had too much family to accept any witness protection. Shit.
Speaker 5: You could be a fucking orphan and you just stood up.
Speaker 3: Don't bullshit me, kid, do me a favor.
Speaker 2: Don't curse? What why you look far too pretty? I have that kind of talk coming out of your mouth.
Speaker 1: Harah's taken aback by the honest compliment. Exterior black Lincoln town Car, late night, Edi sings as we see the town car drive through a very nice suburb north of Chicago. The car parks along a beautiful street, Park Avenue, glen Coe, Illinois. We hear the following conversation in voiceover, that's set the street.
Speaker 5: He must do pretty good.
Speaker 2: Your son, some kind of finanswer?
Speaker 3: Were counting interior.
Speaker 1: Back seat Lincoln town Car, continuous from the back seat.
Speaker 2: Kids two, I think yeah too, Grandpa. I got a question, Why did you and law to ask me to drive?
Speaker 4: You always treated us right, never asked us those stupid sex questions.
Speaker 2: I'm supposed to ask sex questions?
Speaker 5: No, not how to?
Speaker 4: But like, do I enjoy it when we shoot? What's my favorite position? When did I start?
Speaker 5: You know that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's your business, not mine.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what We figured about you, We figured we was safe with you.
Speaker 1: Harah notices something through the window.
Speaker 5: Oh, here comes somebody.
Speaker 1: The black minivan turns into the driveway. A couple in their late twenties exit the front seat. A young boy of about six jumps out of the back seat. The mother takes a two year old out of a child's seat in the back. The mother and two children head for the front door and immediately enter the house as the father removes some packages.
Speaker 2: Must have went to church church.
Speaker 5: You gotta be shitting.
Speaker 2: Me, Hey, sorry, right out of Norman Rockwell? Who never mind?
Speaker 5: Well do it?
Speaker 1: Sal just sits there watching his son and his family go into their nice, upper middle class home.
Speaker 5: Ain't you gonna go talk to your son?
Speaker 2: What the hell we come all this way for to see where I don't belong?
Speaker 3: That's crazy?
Speaker 4: I mean, Oh yeah, I get you.
Speaker 5: Sal's anything I can do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I get up tomorrow you'll be long gone.
Speaker 3: Understand understood? Sal?
Speaker 5: You you want me to drive?
Speaker 2: No, I'm the driver.
Speaker 1: Long pause before Sal starts the music. Edda James continues singing. The window goes up, the car pulls away, and we see Sal's son looking out the front Bay window, A little boy comes up to him. Exterior black Lincoln town Car, Late afternoon. Eda James sings a Sunday kind of love. The town car drives along the lake like before, only in the other direction. Late afternoon turns to twilight, and then finally, the big city lights of Chicago at night fill the background. Interior Sal's hotel room, Chicago evening. We hear Sal open his hotel room door. He enters and throws his jacket on the bed, goes to the dresser and throws down his keys, places his wallet, chains.
Speaker 2: Sorry, chains, Sorry, that's another story.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 2: He enters.
Speaker 1: He enters and throws his jacket on the bed, goes to the dresser and throws down his keys, places his wallet, change, smokes handkerchief, and combs on the dresser. He stares into the mirror as the song ends. It looks like he's about to punch the mirror when Leo's face comes up behind him. Sal turns, Jesus.
Speaker 9: Christ, Relax, Oh man, don't have a heart attack. They told me this was Harry's rue. No, why would they do that.
Speaker 2: I don't tax that pete brain of yours. They just got the rooms mixed up she's across the hall. I help myself to a drink. I mean, I don't give a shit if you mind. What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Sal pours himself a Scotch and hangs onto the bottle.
Speaker 6: What am I doing here?
Speaker 9: I came to Chicago for the wind. What am I doing here? I came to do the girl. I mean, seeing she don't have a stomach for that kind of stuff anymore. They're waiting on my call.
Speaker 2: And I told Vince she had nothing to do with this.
Speaker 9: I don't know from what you said. I only know what Vince said. It was the other one, Lada. I don't care.
Speaker 2: Harra's a good kid. She's a slut, and you're an asshole.
Speaker 9: Look, I don't care if she was a fucking nun. She gets that the Vince in a hat box. You try to stop me, Vince says, I send you back the same way.
Speaker 2: Vince would never say that.
Speaker 1: The great Sal the bob, wise up.
Speaker 2: You're useless to him. Now, don't fuck with me, little man. I'm not in the mood right now.
Speaker 6: Ah, what's the matter.
Speaker 2: She stopped giving you a head.
Speaker 9: You're pissing me off, Leo, And I'm really fucking scared you should be.
Speaker 6: How does that sweet think taste? Huh hhmm. Maybe I'll just uh, maybe I'll.
Speaker 2: Try a little before I carve him up.
Speaker 6: Don't even why you gonna try and stop me.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll do just that.
Speaker 1: Sal takes the scotch bottle and smacks Leo across the face. His razor comes out of his sleeve and he swipes at Leo's face, but Leo blocks the razor with his arm and we see his jacket rip. Leo grabs Sal's arm with one head and punches him with the other, sending Sal over the couch and sending the razor flying. Leo, with his bloodied face, looks at Sal.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm gonna enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Leo rushes towards Sal, who takes a swing and Leo blocks it like the professional fighter he once was, and gives two hard ones to Sal's stomach. Sal buckles over, Leo straightens him up and gives him one more to the face, knocking Sal onto the bed. Leo stands over Sal and takes out his pistol, putting it in Sal's face.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Sal?
Speaker 2: This is way too easy?
Speaker 1: Leo tosses the pistol on the couch and pulls Sal up by the collar and hits him in the face. Hits him again.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna beat you good before I put a round through that big fucking round through gos fuck cue.
Speaker 1: Leo pulls Sal again. This time Sal comes up with the phone that was on the nightstand next to the bed and slams Leo's face. Sal hets Leo again before Leo wrestles the phone away. Sal falls back and grabs the pen that was next to the phone. Leo, in rage, picks up Sal in a bear hug, crushing Sal near to death. These two bloody faces are now face to face. Sal reaches around Leo's head with his left arm, holding Leo's head still. Sal takes the pen in his right hand and rams it into Leo's left ear. Leo drops Sal and staggers like a drunk, his equilibrium gone. Leo's eyes are wide open, but he can't see. I can't see, I can't see.
Speaker 2: I'm right here.
Speaker 3: You're blind. Fuck.
Speaker 1: Leo in complete rage runs at Sal, who steps aside, and Leo crashes into the window. Sal lifts Leo's feet and helps him out the rest of the way, we hear Leo scream all the way down to his death. In the alley below exterior Ali outside Chicago Hotel. Continuous light over the back door leading to the kitchen allows us to see Leo's body on the dumpster below. Blood pours from Leo's ear. Nancy Wilson sings Bewitched end of a tu you work