Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: President Trump is ramping up criticism of FED chair Jerome Pal, so let's discuss now with Claudia Salm. She's new Century Advisor's chief economists and former FED economists. Claudia, great to have you with us. There was a note from wynthin over at BBH this morning saying that the admission that this is being studied at all should be taken very seriously and very negatively. And Claudia, I'm curious, how seriously are you taking the possibility that we do see Trump try to remove your own Pal.
Speaker 3: I take it very seriously, and I you know, this administration has taken steps, whether it's with the tariffs or with downsides in the government, that really were, you know, beyond expectations. So I you know, the unthinkable is thinkable with this administration. So it is a risk to take seriously. But I do think when the administration sits down and studies the options, they'll come to the right conclusion that this really isn't the path they want to go down.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I also want to talk about the precedent here because people often point to what had happened in the Kennedy era in the Johnson era. In the Nixon era, people often pointed Nixon burns. The difference now is the amount of tools in the toolkit. I think that the FED has brought out in terms of quantitative easing, emergency measures during crises. The power of the FED has grown. So what does this mean to have this kind of political pressure on the FED in an era where the economy is so fragile?
Speaker 4: Right, So the FED needs to be independent.
Speaker 3: But the FED absolutely must be accountable, and it is Congress created the FED.
Speaker 4: It has amended the Federal Reserve Act.
Speaker 3: Over time, the FED has to report to the public, report to Congress. And you know, there are times where FED has used tools, such as in the Great Financial Crisis, they did emergency lending and then after the fact Congress said they amended the Federal Reserve Act with the DoD Frank and said you know what to do that you're going to need treasuries buy in.
Speaker 4: And that happened during COVID.
Speaker 3: So there are times where we watch the powers of the FED and Congress, you know, put some controls on them. But that operational independence, that ability to set interest rates with monetary policy, not just in the US, but around the world has been come to be understood as very important to keeping inflation low.
Speaker 4: And this is we're seeing it.
Speaker 3: This is the moment why we need FED independence where you have strong views kind of clashing between the President.
Speaker 4: And the FED. It's not personal, it's just the experience is we need the.
Speaker 3: FED bill to make the decisions that they think are best, and we can hold them accountable for that after the fact, but like.
Speaker 4: They need to be able to make those decisions.
Speaker 2: It's a good reminder too that we all have bosses, including the FED and Jerome Pal's case, it's Congress. But I want to go back to what you were saying in your first answer, that you think that they're going to study the options the administration that is, and that they'll arrive at the conclusion and won't go through with this. And I'm curious to see the confidence when they look at the options. What do you think that they'll see.
Speaker 3: It's in the absolute best interest of the president, with his economic agenda that he has set to give the FED its face to make its policy decisions. One of the things that you know the FED is they're uncertain about what happens with inflation, particular becomes embedded.
Speaker 4: So they are.
Speaker 3: Really trying to you know, we're the inflation fighter. We're going to be credible on this. We've seen market expectations. They don't expect the tariffs maybe to lift inflation this year but then come back down. That is exactly I mean, that is the path that the President would want to see, you know, with the tariffs, not to have it be long term inflation.
Speaker 4: So let the FED do their job.
Speaker 3: If the President undercuts this FED, it will not just undercut, you know, remove Jay Palette, undercuts any future FED chairs that that Trump would put in place, and it really could cause a lot of disruptions.
Speaker 4: And if he removes pal he's not going to get interest rates down anyways.
Speaker 3: They're going to go because the inflation expectations would go go bisarre. So I absolutely understand why the President is critical of the Fed's stance right now, but this isn't the way to do interact with the FED.
Speaker 2: Well, Claudia, you touched on something that Chanel and I were discussing earlier, that you think about Kevin worsh who has been reported as in consideration. Other outlets have reported that he too, has urged the President not to necessarily end Jerome Pal's term early exactly for that reason that if he was then made FED chair, that he would be dealing with a loss of credibility at the institution itself.
Speaker 3: Right, And we have to look back the credibility that the FED gained in terms of being inflation fighting, much of that was.
Speaker 4: One during the Pole Vulgar FED and that.
Speaker 3: Was a very severe recession, very high interest rates to break the inflation mentality like, we do not want to go back, No one wants to go back there.
Speaker 4: So that, Yeah, the.
Speaker 3: FED is an institution, It plays an important role. It doesn't always get it right. And the president could be and there is a case for preemptive interest rate cuts. It's just that's not a case that he should be making. And he's in certainly removing or even threatening to remove the FED chair. That's just that's creating more uncertainty in a world right now that frankly is dealing with a lot of uncertainty in terms of the economy and financial market.
Speaker 4: So this would be a great time to de escalate this.
Speaker 1: Well, Claudie, I want to bring up something that was brought up befrom Neil Datta of Renaissance Macro this morning. This is exactly what he wrote that forget the legal obstacles to fire Powell, getting rid of him in such a dramatic fashion would upset the bond market. Risk premiums would rise sharply as investors questioned the central banks independence, and longer run interest rates would surge. That was from run Maac this morning. But then you also have this morning we were talking about a little ker Katie and I were talking about it. You have the president this morning not saying he wanted to fire the FED chair. He said that he wanted him to lower interest rates. You saw on the heels of that just the tenure lose some of its selloff. Do you think this is turning in to a negotiation tactic more than a reality.
Speaker 4: It's it's really hard. It's hard to.
Speaker 3: Judge, right, Like I don't under you know, know where the President is going from this?
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 3: It's great to see this morning's message on true social did not include a threat of termination.
Speaker 4: It is also problematic.
Speaker 3: To be having this if you call it a negotiation in public, right because now it does so.
Speaker 4: Suppose the Fed meets and they cut interest rates? Did they do it?
Speaker 3: Because the president told them to, right Like, this is just not this is not a healthy.
Speaker 4: Discussion to be having. I mean, I understand it.
Speaker 3: Again, the president at many presidents is nowhere near a unique in this.
Speaker 4: Don't like what the FED does?
Speaker 3: Right That's again, that's part of why we need the independence of the FED is just having this debate in public and putting this pressure on. It's one of those be careful what you wish for, right Like, if the FED caves, it would be really bad.
Speaker 4: I don't expect the Fed decay on this, but it would be really bad.
Speaker 3: And it makes a very complicated policy decisions for the FED this year even harder if they have it with all of this political tension and these conversations going.
Speaker 1: On To that end, also, how do you see the reaction from the bond market, not just in the short term but in longer term rates. You think about the ten year yield flirting with four point four percent this morning, now closer to four point three four percent. Is there a risk that a deep recession would drive down those longer term bond yields significantly, or that fiscal pressures of the United States will supersede all of that, And you actually see those longer term rates go higher.
Speaker 3: So everything is on the table as part of the problem right now, and there really is a lot of uncertainty. We're doing major policy changes from trade to fiscal to immigration, and then if you want to put you know, FED independence on the table too. It's just a lot for anybody who's trying to look out in the future, which is exactly what financial markets are trying to do.
Speaker 4: They're trying to look out in the future and price it.
Speaker 3: And honestly, I think the one thing that we should be very comfortable with is we're going to see a lot of volatility. We're going to see a lot of shifting narratives until that uncertainty is pulled out. And the president again has a very unique position and that he can pull some of that uncertainty out right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. I mean a lot of this uncertainty came from his desk itself, and obviously, like you say, he has the levers to pull to remove that uncertainty. But I want to talk about the numbers that the FED has in front of them. Politics aside. When Jerome pal and his colleagues are sitting down to make policy, they have of course inflation. They have what the labor market is doing, and they have of course what we're seeing in terms of break even inflation expectations. And the President Trump in history social post this morning said that you have energy costs way down, you have food costs way down. You also have most other things trending down. And as such he concludes, there's actually no inflation. What are you seeing, though, Claudia, what is the actual read on inflation right now? When you take a look at this data.
Speaker 3: Well, are broad based measures of inflation, so not just picking out particular series like energy. They show that inflation continues to be elevated relative to the FEDS two percent target. And it's been that way for you know, since twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: We've been making progress.
Speaker 3: And honestly, the conversation we would be having right now is about the upcoming FED rate cut because of progress on inflation and the good economy if it were not for some very big changes that have been made in economic policy going forward. Above all else the tariffs, which just aren't in the data yet, right, and the Fed has to think about that. I mean, the markets are thinking about everybody's thinking about what's coming ahead.
Speaker 4: So yes, it is good that we've made progress on inflation.
Speaker 3: That is, that is amazing where labor market is great, but that does not tell us necessarily where we are going over the coming months. And the FED, with all this uncertainty about the policy, is their weight and see approach to this I think makes a lot a lot of sense. And so we're gonna but they're gonna want they need to see the data and above all else.
Speaker 4: They need to see that the inflation stays under control.
Speaker 1: Claudia, we got to leave it there. We thank you so much for your time this morning. Claudiasam of New Century Advisors