Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: All right, Roy, we are back, joined again by a familiar face, friend of ours, friend of the studio, friend of the show, not the studio. Uh, it's been a while since we spoke to this gentleman. He has an album coming out this Friday. Yes, and this the first time in some years that he's putting something out. I think people are going to be happy to receive it. I listened to it the last two days. Music sounds incredible, music sounds great. Today we are joined by singer songwriter rapper and when he's not doing any of those things, he's saving lives on highways. Today we are joined by the legendary Chicago's own Chance to Rap.
Speaker 3: Thank you man.
Speaker 4: That was one of those things like I felt like was in the simulation when you guys reminded me like remember when Chance saved somebody's lives.
Speaker 1: I was like I forgot, I got us like like I'll just be catching people. I got all types of random stories of me saving people. I'm that lady in the elevator. We just was at some ship. Bro, We was just at some ship who was at a haunted hotel. So we went to this haunted hotel. This lady was helping us, like taking us to and it's like a real hotel. It's called the What is that called throw my Mom? You ever heard that shot throw mom in l a right that the one with the girl died, and I think.
Speaker 3: Hell of people died at this ship. I'm sorry. If this ends up being bad, we can take it out. But I think death is great.
Speaker 1: But basically, basically we was this lady was taking us downstairs to like I think, to leave, and we and when we was waiting in the room, she like knocked on the door.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, I heard somebody knock. Let's go check.
Speaker 1: When I opened the door, the lady is literally getting crushed by elevator. That's one of them old elevators too, Like not like a censor. It ain't no censer on this joint. It's just it's like it was. It was crushing her in the door, and I had to use my Spider Man strength to pull that ship off of her. But merch, I saved somebody's life this year, like less than three months ago from what you was talking About's one of.
Speaker 4: Those things in the plot in the movie, he goes to lobbying and that that elevator hasn't worked.
Speaker 1: Like literally, that's what I felt like Lady felt she died like thirty years.
Speaker 3: But she hasn't been a lot of those large marks since your moments.
Speaker 2: Did. But it's good to see you, man, last six years, where have you been?
Speaker 5: It's so much we like, so much has happened in the last year.
Speaker 2: Hasn't as a as a person, as an artist, I'm sure things are a lot different. But how you feeling the album is done? It's completely I know for artists that's like a journey in itself, it feels. But it's been a while for you, six years, but you you've worked on music, You've written music in the meantime, I've.
Speaker 3: Been releasing with my fans.
Speaker 1: Like, so, six years is a long time, and every time I hear that, it sounds so crazy to me, but like so much of that time, it's.
Speaker 5: A long time, But it's really not.
Speaker 1: It's not like he's telling me, like, man, the last time you dropped, I was in grade school.
Speaker 3: I'm a grandfather, like it was, Like, so, it does feel like a long time, especially in.
Speaker 1: That now that I'm getting closer to the release, I'm getting back to like that feeling of like you know, people just coming up to me in the street being like, Yo, I'm excited for your project and that shit, that's a great feeling. So I feel like but I feel like in this time from you know, all the little like Lucy releases that I put out, all the art collaborations, we were in museums, We put on a festival in Ghana for fifty two thousand people. We did a lot of things that were all still in line with this album and what the album talks about. With the album's promoting and so like it feels like we were in like a hyperbolic time chain, but like training at hardest fuck and doing little side missions. But then like now the pop out, Like when now people will see it and it's like damn, he just damn near came off a mountain, Like he just like he just came back. And with this, I feel like the right end. Y'all heard a lot of the subjects, but even the I think it takes a few listens to hear, but like a lot of the literary references, a lot of the like you know, poetic references, like especially for I think some of my fans that are like in the literature in the writing or in the poetry, Like you'll see that I'm pulling from a lot of areas that I wasn't pulling from in my earlier works. So I feel like the six years has been me like doing push ups for six years straight.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's by far the best rapping you've ever done. Yeah, I mean music is subjective, but as far as just rapping, definitely.
Speaker 5: The music incredible than rapping you've done.
Speaker 3: Was it six years? Was that a conscious decision or that's just how lifele No.
Speaker 1: I definitely wanted to be less than that for show. But I feel like what I was trying to do was I was trying to create moments. There was I feel like I look at it in like three sections. So there was the film Journey, which like and all of these like they like you know, permeate throughout the whole thing. But I was learning a lot about cameras and like getting to like figure out how I wanted to see myself in my music, because like music videos is like the best way to get to people. It don't got necessarily a huge financial return on investment, but in terms of like how people hear music for the first time, A lot of times it be on Instagram.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: The other side to it is hearing it in the club. But like you're gonna see that shit on TikTok, youre gonna see it on Instagram. You'renna see a music video before you just hear it here, you know what I'm saying. So I focused a lot on like learning how to use a camera, how to you know, direct, how to edit, how to cinematography. Is like the big thing that I'm like really into now is like learning how to like people, learning how to like how to like frame it and composition. So I spent a long time doing that. That's when I started doing my first I guess you could call singles for starline was self directed videos for like singles and stuff. And then I feel like around like twenty twenty two, twenty twenty three, I started focusing a little bit more on like how do I like make big moments for these singles. So I started working with museums. I started working with painters and like, you know, people across different mediums to figure out how, like I just said that visual element, how do I make it so that people can feel this music beyond what I'm writing, because it's very dense versus like even what people like on their first listen. Like, you know, my family and my friends have lived with this music for a long time. Some of these songs have been around since twenty twenty or twenty twenty one. I mean, and they'll tell me five years later, like, bro, was you saying this on this song?
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, They're like, Bro, I feel you now.
Speaker 1: So I think it's like like it's very compacted. So it's like I started working with artists and like different people that just understand visuals a little bit better than me on how to like you know, have a more layer conversation on something I'm trying to talk about. And then I feel like just this final little last piece of it has been you know really just like I guess figuring out how to bring my fans in.
Speaker 3: So I started working with.
Speaker 1: What they call sensory experiences, so like doing you know, a V or audio visual experiences where I use like projectors and lighting and you know, I'll be having my wraps on the screen now, Like that's my my literal visual language, like putting people in a room literally with my words, with lights with a sound system that me and my friends designed, headphones on a beanbag, and like, just go through this music I'm working on and that's interesting. And it was like, I'm gonna send you all some video of the ship. It's actually crazy. I'm so good at it now that is like I'm literally Walt Disney like I could put some ship together.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I just realized everyone that I.
Speaker 1: Was not thinking jobs.
Speaker 3: I just that's so crazy. I promise you I was not thinking about folks.
Speaker 1: But you say, like some like building an experience for somebody, creating a world in a context around these things that I'm making up in my head and then I'm pulling from real life.
Speaker 3: But like Starlin, now that you've heard it, like I wish that.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like, once this project comes out, there's gonna be like probably around like fifteen hundred I think is probably around the amount of people that I showed this experience in the past two years. Like there's gonna be like fifteen hundred people that come out. That's like, y'all should have been the writings on the wall that was the name.
Speaker 3: Of the thing that I was doing.
Speaker 1: It was like it was like a little secret thing I did in New Orleans, DC, Chicago couple times, like LA, like a bunch of random cities, and I just I got this texting list and I text like, you know, it'll be like four thousand and five thousand fans in a city that signed up for this little thing, and tell them, you know what I'm saying, slide through, and then I put on this whole like real experience that nobody's experienced, like expecting with the new music, with everything at the end, it's like like the way that people feel about it. Obviously the music is good too, but this whole thing around it, it's like it's a three sixty experience. It's like fucking crazy.
Speaker 4: How did it differ with having like in real life, direct to consumer.
Speaker 3: Feedback on your music?
Speaker 1: That shit is like you really can't get anywhere else. I'd start looking down the camera because I know as rappers and like creatives watching it, like you've got to go to the people.
Speaker 3: Like you've got to go to the people.
Speaker 1: You can never get a real understanding of how people feel from you know, analytics or social media or nothing. Like people come and tell you a story about they little sister's life getting saved by your music or some you know, like them their baby being born, like whatever, Like they people have stories that they can't share with you really in detail through social media or through a view or a like or a comment.
Speaker 4: Like another subconscious question, do you think you went that route based off just a specific part of Twitter that reacted to the big day the way they did.
Speaker 3: On the timeline?
Speaker 1: I'm so like, let me not go so far in times to start it, Ryn, let me actually answer the first question first, like yes, because I think, like my shit has always been grassroots, like I really was a street team nigga, Like I know how to like work a project because I've been doing this since I was fourteen. So my relationship to the fans and that the way that that looks to the outside.
Speaker 3: I know the value of both of those things, Like I know the.
Speaker 1: Value of like having a person that will silently say I love you and I'll buy a hat.
Speaker 3: And I know the value.
Speaker 1: Of the of the perception of people seeing a lot of people wearing a hat, like they both have their own separate values. And I saw what was like you know this whatever, you know what I'm saying, I've seen what was happening, and I'm like, I need to tap in with the people that support and show them, like, you know, give them a pride. Because that's also a thing like you if you love an artist, right, especially from a young age, a lot of times you kind of like you start to feel connected to them in a way that's like I represent this person, they represent me. So when you see an artist that you fuck with getting trashed, like even if it's not conscious, subconsciously, it makes you dissociate and it makes you and sometimes it could like you have like an actual emotional reaction to it. And so it's like if I love this artist a lot and I love their music, and then I see like people are trashing it whatever that next music is, I want to see people love it, right, you know that matters to me separate from how much I love it. I could love it just as much as I love the last thing, but I want to see other people love it, And so I can't control how whatever their perception of what other people see is, but I can like.
Speaker 3: Bring them in.
Speaker 1: And so that's what I was really like doing, was like you know, these would be small rooms, like fifty people, sometimes eighty people, eat some in New York. Some more key ones in New York at the Choco Factor. Those are like our biggest ones. And they was like I think like maybe eighty eighty five to ninety people, but it's like intimate. I spend like some time afterwards the room just talking to people, and I'll give them these composition notebooks, like the same notebooks.
Speaker 3: I'll be writing it.
Speaker 1: And let them like write notes or you know, tell me their favorite songs. A lot of them will write me letters. And then I found out a lot of my fans has.
Speaker 5: Been writing this during the session.
Speaker 1: Send They're sending a bean bag, basically laying down. They got headphones on, right and in the room. Don't nobody still my design. I've been doing this for a while already.
Speaker 5: I'm almost back.
Speaker 1: It's okay, It's okay, but they know, they know where his mind is, Like I got more ideas to the room is is like surrounded by these subs, these big ass subs. So it delivers these loads that give you vibration to your seat that makes it feel like I'm you know, on a roller coaster or something.
Speaker 3: So uh that mixed with the visuals, the av the text.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, the text the lyrics, like it puts you in like really inside the music, and like there's no like loss of frequency in terms of how I'm giving it to them, like what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But it's also like.
Speaker 1: A real visceral like reaction to like a base drop being felt in your seat and in the floor, like you're at a concert while still getting all the high end frequency that the headphones give.
Speaker 5: That's that's how I sort of Last Fast and Furious.
Speaker 3: You said you saw the Last Fast and Furious with some headphones on.
Speaker 5: No, but the seats was moving in Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's not that I ain't got it to that level. I'm gonna make a roller coaster at some point.
Speaker 3: It sounds like my sound journey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, definitely, that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: But so now you give them the notebook, and you take the notebook back at the end, and you need all everybody's.
Speaker 1: I asked them to tear out whatever they want to leave me with and keep whatever they want to keep for themselves. So like you know, sometimes people write personal things like I don't always tell them I'm gonna collect it either, So at the end I'll be like, hey, if there's any note that you wanted to give me. You could tear it out, but I want you to still keep journaling because a lot of my fans a creatives too, so like they'll be I.
Speaker 3: Was just saying, like so many niggas, I'm telling them write me notes.
Speaker 1: It's hell a beautiful portraits and shit that they're drawing in the dark, like in the room, because they for whatever reason, a lot of my fans is be on some creative.
Speaker 5: A different level of connection to your to your audience stuff.
Speaker 1: No, it's nothing like anything I like I see in the market, but it is like in the line of like how I feel like a lot of my fans feel connected to me. It's a little more personal than you know. It's a lot of people that just fuck with me from Afar on, some like oh I like his raps, But a lot of people know something else about me, or has some other connection to me, or felt some like I said, like this permeating thing from a song where they were like, oh, that's what you beyond, That's what I be on. And then I'll just feel that love when I'm walking around in New York, walking around in any city, and people like yo, they don't know. I got a fucking whole CD about to come out, but they just get that love love brother like whatever. You you know what I'm saying, we support type.
Speaker 2: So now six years has been six years. Six years ago, I remember Rory and myself we kind of was the thing. Is it's chance really independent to go through that whole thing that was like the chatter? But now with all of this that you're doing, this is really an independent thing, and you're funding this and you have all these ideas as a creator. How frustrating is it at times when you have these ideas in these in these thoughts in your head and you want to get them out, but you're independent, and it's like, we know things cost.
Speaker 5: It's like, but I have this visual.
Speaker 2: Once you have a vision, is it like I'm doing this no matter what, or do you have to kind of call it audible every now and then and adjust to the.
Speaker 1: No, It's like we just go and like that's just how it's been since I first started.
Speaker 3: Like I like.
Speaker 1: I love I guess I just love being happy, So I don't invest anything that's gonna make me happy.
Speaker 3: That's like, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: In terms of family and personal things like but like the music, like I always I've seen I've almost been there, always seen money as being for my pursuit of music or to be flipped so I can have money to pay for the things other things in my life that I need to take care of.
Speaker 3: But that flip is going to happen through music.
Speaker 1: So I feel like there's never really been a point where I was like, oh, like, I mean, I'll get that that's not a good investment because I just got to look at my actual life, like all my money is more money basically, so it's like the it definitely like what I have is going to make a decision and like what I can do. But I also say this all the time, like I go broke all the time.
Speaker 3: I go broke and.
Speaker 1: Get it back because also I believe in Jesus. But like there's like a certain you know, investment in self that I think every artist that really loves this shit feels, you know what I'm saying. And I think the only time that people don't is like, you know, we do be natural creative, So some people just fall into rap like they be naturally creative. They fall into it they see it as a business opportunity to do other things and there's no.
Speaker 3: Fault to it.
Speaker 1: But then there's also people that's like I was doing talent shows since they was a kid, and like, you know what I'm saying, Like that's where I come from. I come from open mics, talent shows, being a nigga that wanted to, you know, to share my art and felt like it was important for me to be in front of a mic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I argue that, So, I mean, was the approach different with this one based on any feedback not only with what you were doing with your fans, but also the perception of people that maybe aren't even a chance the rapper fan, but they are a social media fan. And we'll just add on to the mob mentality of when something catches you know, I'm being.
Speaker 1: Honest, Like I feel like, content wise, it didn't. I think it's something that like weighs on my mind sometimes, you know, because like I'm a I'm a front facing person, Like I'm a like I've made the decision, even if it was at a young age, I made the decision that I wanted to be famous, So how people feel about me kind of does determine like how I can move through the world and like how I feel on a daily basis when it comes to the raps. I feel like I I and I think it shines through. But it also like I'm just saying my point basically, Like I feel like a lot of the content on the record is more you know about the world at large.
Speaker 3: It's not a lot of Like.
Speaker 1: There's like one song kind of where it's like y'all tweaked on me, but like and even in that, it's still very like looking internally and looking at how Like.
Speaker 3: So there's a song. The song is called Speed of Love.
Speaker 1: It's me and Jazmine Sullivan, and on the song, I talk about like being a literal kid who got famous, Like we don't say it, but I'm basically a child star. I think anybody that gets on like from the age of seventeen, not saying I was even on, but I was touring with childish game, you know, as a kid, Like I have my first legal drink in Canada like nineteen, so I'm like, you know, I'm having Hella access, Hella excess, like just having my wais shit on the flow and I'm but I'm a kid, you know what I'm saying, Like I still haven't like and then you know, you add on having a baby, you add on like all these other things. So on the song, I'm really just talking about, like how all children in this first verse, all children, but especially the ones that went to do talent shows and open mics and wanted to be famous and like kids like Bieber that was playing drums as a kid, Like we searching for love, Like we really want love, probably more outwardly and proudly and openly than the average person. And because we get so much adoration or adilation, like we one of those words is wrong, so sorry, I don't know which one it is, but because we get this other form that's like it is love, but it's a different kind of love, like it can like it presents challenges for us just in like interacting and operating at how we present ourselves and sometimes it's like it's not a boohoo story, but like just because of capitalism, just because of like consumerism, just because of how we present to these cameras, like people look at us like trading cards, Like our value goes up and down based on our takes and our most recent song and like and so like within that, like you feel a certain like you feel commodified or like dehumanized a little bit, especially if it's negative. Like when it's positive, then it's like, yeah, it's love. It's like, you know what I'm saying. Even if you get tired of the meet and greets and tired of everything, it's like, I gotta be grateful, grateful niggas of me. But when niggas start saying a lot of things about you or you feel these niggas ungrateful, it's not even ungrateful.
Speaker 3: It's like for a nigga that's.
Speaker 1: Like, like I said, like if you really grow up in it, then it's like, well, what's wrong with me? You know what I'm saying. And I feel like that's something I had to work through. So overall to answer the question, I feel like a lot of the songs are still pointed like I'm on this star Line journey, and when you listen to it, you hear the radical, you hear the self determination, you hear self love, you hear a lot of those things that are like within that, like that journey that I've been pushing to my fans and like the story I'm trying to tell. But then there's still like it's that vulnerability will interweaven be like, Okay, this these are places that I fucked up. These are places that I want to grow. These are things that or this is how y'all tweaked on me, Like this is where like even to my friends, that same song Speed to Love has like a whole verse about my friends and where they chose to how they chose to use their voices or to like support me in certain times and like, to me, this is the best place to do it, even though I won't be saying names in it, but even though it's public, it's like sometimes especially for the creative, like you got you gotta put that shit on wax, like you gotta like you gotta not just express yourself and not just record yourself, but you gotta publish, Like, yeah, gotta put it out.
Speaker 4: I mean you tied it in with the I do quote on that record. Yeah, how's the exact.
Speaker 5: Borgo with that?
Speaker 1: Man Erkobadu one of my favorite poets, favorite lyricists, favorite obviously vocalist performers everything. She has a piece that she did on Deaf Poetry Jam called Friends Fans and Artists must Meet and at the beginning of each verse she says that same mind friends, fans and artists must meet.
Speaker 3: Which one are you? Which one are me?
Speaker 1: The first, the first verse or first section of the poem she talks about She says it from the perspective of a fan, and they're like, man, I just want to meet her after her show.
Speaker 3: I loved her new song. It was dope.
Speaker 1: Ooh, Like I hope she don't forget about me when she gets so big. The second verse is from the perspective of her friends, and her friends on it is like this bitch want us to carry her luggage. She lay for all the trips, she got all this money, like she ain't go I no money when I shit don't sell like it's like and then the third verse, my favorite one. She like flips the notepad in the air and she's speaking from her perspective or from the perspective of an artists, and she's like, niggas don't know, like when after taxes come, I be back broke, trying to figure sit out.
Speaker 3: People don't know the struggles I go through.
Speaker 1: Just trying to write a verse that will appeal to all these different people that you feel responsible for, Like they don't know all of these things and this is my perspective, but I just I always loved that piece since I was a kid, and so like that really drove the like the that was my closest connection to how I felt was like, you know, I have to address different things that I feel important to talk about, not necessarily just the things that people think I need to you know, like.
Speaker 3: I got it. Like I said, I got a lot of fans.
Speaker 1: It's like, y, you better put out a record that's stepping on their next, And it's like this is stepping on their next, stepping on everybody. But like it's also like I'm doing how I want to do it, and I'm talking about what I want to talk about, right yeah, And.
Speaker 4: I mean I think you're addressing what a lot of people were curious to hear six years later. But also on back to the Go, you addressed some shit that I feel like the world has been wanting to know. And what's fucked up is I had to make peace with this too, that because we are in the public eye, I put my personal life out there so people are allowed to ask me about shit where I'm like, that's none even fucking business to begin with.
Speaker 5: What it is.
Speaker 3: But it is.
Speaker 4: I made the choice of even putting it out there, So how could I react to somebody being like, well, we're invested now you address the divorce, everything that's happening.
Speaker 1: What was that transition, like even it's a transition still now, like it's like we are you know, we're young, like you know, maybe not to the Wians, but were young, like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: I was twenty one when Kinsley, when my first kid was born, very you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So like we we.
Speaker 1: Like you know, are growing and we just two people that like definitely love each other and definitely I feel like I'm explaining it to my kids right now, like listen, not but like it's.
Speaker 3: I didn't think it was.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's just but it's like the reality of it is is like everybody you know deals with their family different with the family I come from is very very close, like very very tight, and you know it's very important for us and for her and her family for us to be tight.
Speaker 3: So we you know, we still travel together, we still like.
Speaker 1: Still yeah, we still have family forever, like and it's just a you know, it's a different format of it. But like we've been through every format. We didn't get married until I was twenty six, so you know what I'm saying, Like we've we've been through these things, and like I ain't going to act like it's not tough. I ain't going to act like it's perfect. And we just was like we shook hands and did like it.
Speaker 5: Was Like, what's the toughest part about it?
Speaker 1: Though it's weird, I think everything is like the same level of toughness when it comes to like situationally, I think the toughness is that it's a reality. I think that's the toughest part is that you might feel like you're over it and you and you're not over it, or you might you know, be used to a certain pattern of operating and because it don't work like that, like you have to like allow yourself grace to deal with that and operate in reality.
Speaker 3: And so I feel like.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a it's not every I don't want to say it's every day thing, like every day we get into it or every day were good. It's really just like you know, we we try and always remember the importance of like supporting each other, loving each other, you know, not just for the sake of our kids, but for the sake of each other's sanity, for like the fact that we have respect.
Speaker 5: For y'all grew up together. Yeah, like me, ya grew up together.
Speaker 1: And we like it's like if you knew Chicago, like the way Chicago works. And I hate to say shit, like high school, I sound like the nigga that would be like I was a quarterback, But like, everybody.
Speaker 3: Still know each other.
Speaker 1: We all still go to the same places, Like, yeah, I see her at like at least every other week, and that's what as a nigga that travels a lot, you know what I'm saying. So I don't have the same I don't want to make it seem like it's so easy because I don't have the same story or the same relationship. I know people that they do not even recognize that they bem or the bed is alive, you feel, Yeah, And that's not how we That's just not how we move.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean even you're saying we have to accept the reality, like shit, I'm co parenting now and it's been a tougher breakup just because there is no out of sight, out of mind, Like then you start arousing. Maybe I'm not over this, or maybe I like it for the family like that. Shit is a very difficult thing to go through with a breakup because other ones, Yeah they tough, but you can just like block the person and just not see them. We got to talk every goddamn day, yeah, man, and it has it'll drain you if it's not a good at least co parenting.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. It's like, kids is for the rest of your life. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, it's not even the rest of it's kind of the rest of their life. You know what I'm saying, God willing, It's like it's the rest of your life. You will be connected, no matter what, emotionally to this being, physically to this being always.
Speaker 3: So like.
Speaker 1: If you then y'all in a vent diagram, y'all both connected to the same thing, y'all plug.
Speaker 3: So I think we both are.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying we the most emotionally mature people, but we both I think at least have that vantage point that allows us to never go too far, you know what I'm saying in any direction, And I'm grateful that I got somebody that is like that, you.
Speaker 3: Know, to their vantage point. This is family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the exact example you mentioned on that record as well that you felt sometimes like an absentee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dad, Yeah, that's like.
Speaker 1: And I love the word play on this song, like there's so many good ways to like, you know, talk about a home or like going back home and that in that verse, I yues like I there's so many Like I think like everybody, like I said, everybody operates differently. They think of things like the importance of certain things differently.
Speaker 3: Like, Man, I miss my kids.
Speaker 1: Right now, like this time going out of town because of how much work I've had. I just had them for the last two weeks, Like the amount of time that I had to lean on my mom. Like it like I ain't gonna cry, but I'm just saying, like that shit, just thinking about it, it makes me feel a way, you know what I'm saying. But like they understand, like they're both super emotionally intelligent kids.
Speaker 3: And I had a whole, which long conversation. Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: I'm so blessed that I got girls because they are very, very smart. And I had like a long conversation with my oldest started yesterday and she was just like completely understanding. She was just like like, let's she like I al't talk to my mom like I'm gonna figure out, like we could do something when you get back type shit.
Speaker 3: And I think there's a weight that I.
Speaker 1: Believe is attributed to anything dealing with like developmental you know, going like like certain things happening in my kids life that I don't want to miss a first day of school, a birthday or a birthday party of you know anything, and just in you know, just in working, I miss a lot of stuff that doesn't include my personal life that doesn't include you know, now the now of like we got to take turns like and sometimes against that family dynamic. It feels like you know what I'm saying, like give me my kids back type shit, and.
Speaker 3: So that creates a separation and stuff too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you did mention your personal life too, and we can bring it back to a little light because I'm a cry as well. Yeah you did have like definitely a dad trip where you're off the map, Josh weel that video. This was one of those personal lives like dad needs a weekend.
Speaker 3: Look but look at the is this rewind one time? This is how is that carnival? Look at look at me, look at the camera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then and then look oh, and then look at the look off like I didn't see the camera.
Speaker 4: There's like this may affect when this came out, I defended you online because we definitely defended you.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the culture. It's carnival chances. He's interested in the culture. This is what you do at cart Yeah, here's the truth. I regardless, I was tripping. Yeah, I was tripping. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Why do you think you were tripping?
Speaker 5: How do you think he was tripping? I think I was thinking he was tripping.
Speaker 1: No, I think I was tripping because nobody knew that me and my wife were separated, you know what I'm saying, So I have you don't rather BM your wife friend making friend, don't let your lady look stupid with them.
Speaker 3: So some reason I thought that was after there was the no.
Speaker 1: That was the big deal about it where everybody was tripping, was was like, it's this appropriate behavior for somebody that's married.
Speaker 5: Okay, So that's what that lookof wasn't like oh shit, it.
Speaker 1: Was like damn, like I'm putting our business out there. Basically, it was my birthday and I was. I'm not ever gonna say anything else, but I'm saying like it was my birthday. I'm lit and with all my guys, it's carnival. That was my thirtieth birthday. I'm not trying to make excuses. I'm just saying, like I'm paying the scene for you, like but basically, yeah, I mean that is that is you know, Caribbean culture. That is like you know, uh a thing. But like at the end of the day, like I feel like I was glad when that ship was homework because my phone was blowing up the next day about that shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I feel like your man that was holding you up on the dub, it's classic move.
Speaker 3: Maybe he should have been grabbing phones. Yeah, it's carnival. Part of it was like everybody was lit.
Speaker 1: Like everybody that was probably the like the cleanest wine I caught, Like.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, like lucky they censor. Yeah, the other wines I was catching when down you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But it's like what the truth is like like I said, like, don't don't have anybody looking stupid and I went out there for fun like.
Speaker 3: We're I think at the end of the day, Like.
Speaker 1: I do wish that that shit didn't happen that way, you know what I'm saying, And I wish that I was, you know, more protective of her. But like I think it's you know, it's it's in the past. That's the reality. That's part of It's like you deal with realities. You go through like all of these different decisions that get you. Every single decision that we all made got us to sitting on these couches right now. So it's like okay, like I gotta deal with whatever comes with that, and also like do whatever I can to like make up for that. And also I gotta like I can't like make it seem like, oh, I've got to build a fucking time machine.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, yeah, I mean, what was that conversation like, because nothing's worse than like especially your thirtieth birthday, Like you just start phone just start ringing like that.
Speaker 3: You don't even know the videos up, just phone blowing up.
Speaker 1: Like no, it's like really, it's like your I got a lot of people that love me, like and a lot of people that love me.
Speaker 3: But don't necessarily know everything that's going on in my life.
Speaker 1: So like it's mainly like friends, family, team press, Like everybody hit my along, like yo, this you're going viral, Like you got to take your birthday.
Speaker 3: You're supposed to just catch the line, don't smack it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the fuck is it doing?
Speaker 1: But like you know, at the end of the day, they gonna end. Man, yeah, I'm thirty two now, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sorry, listen.
Speaker 2: Why when it came out, I was like, listen, man, he's a carnival.
Speaker 5: This is what goes on. This is what happens. And everybody was like, nah, he wild.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: The women was having he.
Speaker 2: Wold for that, and I was like, I get it, but it's carnival, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel the same way. But this is where I believe double standards exist. If my if it was flipped and my girl did that was like no, but it's carnival.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, standards is real.
Speaker 5: We know that.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's always gonna be gender wars because there's stud genders.
Speaker 3: Sorry wait, whoa, whoa, All right, let's take it. Let's take a step as a Republican is a republic? The episode a step back. Let's take a step back, Republican step back. Let's take a step back. Okay.
Speaker 1: What I'm trying to say is that the c I A, yes, my brother, yes.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's so funny how you say that and you catch it so like, wait, WHOA, I don't even say.
Speaker 3: The word gender office.
Speaker 1: It was like, and once I heard myself talking, I was like, no, what am I talking about?
Speaker 3: You now, what I'm talking about right now, we are, right now in your relationship, there was two genders. That's what you were getting. What I was saying.
Speaker 1: What I was saying is like, no matter what, if something happens with some celebrities, there's gonna be a lot of people that tag onto the conversation in pushing whatever their belief or stance on something is. And even whatever happened is going to be presented to you by the blogs or whatever, Instagram pages or whatever in a way to make you have to have a you know, hot or cold opinion on what's going on. And so sometimes I think the people that's involved in those stories don't even like we don't take the time or give ourselves the grace to realize, like, this shit not really about me, It's about niggas. Wanting to go get go catch a wine as somewhere else, like this shouldn't got nothing to do with me, But unfortunately I'm tied into this conversation now and it's going to you know, it'll only last as long as I keep talking about that shit. So I kind of got that. You know, Yeah, it happens, drugs, you know what I'm saying, It happens.
Speaker 3: Did I do that?
Speaker 4: I mean, listen if you got to get called doing something in carnival.
Speaker 2: So you've been you've been, uh, you've been writing. What is your relationship like today with uh?
Speaker 5: With Kanye?
Speaker 2: Because I would you didn't put nothing out album wise the last six years, but you've been writing a lot. You've been working a lot, specifically with Kanye. Where's the relationship like today with ya? Like, where do y'all stand? Do you still speak to them often? You still work with them? Are there any sessions left off? Any music that came from those sessions that are on this album?
Speaker 3: No, there's nothing from from those sessions on this album. There was one that would have could have been wrong, but no, there's not any on this out.
Speaker 1: And I was gonna say so, honestly, is the best policy. I haven't talked to him in a long time. Okay, He's one of the most influential people in my music.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: He was at my wedding, He's you know, our kids have hung out together, so like, you know, I always love Kanye. Yeah, And but just being honest, I haven't talked to him in a while.
Speaker 3: I feel like.
Speaker 1: I've been hella busy. I'm working on shit. He's obviously been busy. He's been working on shit, so like you know what I'm saying, Like nah, but also like I'll be trying not to take opportunities to like this. Motherfuckers are like add too much to the story. So like people, chances, whatever.
Speaker 5: Genuinely just want to know.
Speaker 1: I haven't talked to him in a long time, but like you know what I'm saying, Like that's just that's people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, would that be a conversation you'd want to have once you know, everything gets a little less busy after the release and.
Speaker 3: A conversation.
Speaker 1: So the way that I think about my world is like i'd be thinking about my day, so like what I got to do that day and what I'm working on for the next two weeks, maybe six months, but more likely what I'm just thinking about that day.
Speaker 3: There's be a lot of shit going on.
Speaker 1: So my relationships and how I view people as friends and stuff is just have I loved this person? And have they ever like, you know, willfully and intentionally betrayed me. And so I got friends that I haven't talked to in five or six seven years, and so it's like it's not like I'm anticipating some conversations. I'm like thing where it's like, all right, now, it's my time to fix you and tell your ask what you've been tweaking on? No ship like that? You know that's what that was one of my co hosts.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying up to folks too, John leg be trying to fix Kanye through Twitter.
Speaker 2: You've got his number that ain't gonna work, That ain't gonna get it, That ain't get it.
Speaker 3: Like you know his address you could just go to man, just pull up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what they got going on. Also, a lot younger than them, niggas, like you know what I'm saying. So I feel like there's also like different ways that people can even have friendships because we're not necessarily peers, you know what I'm saying, Like we you know, like I I.
Speaker 3: My first like.
Speaker 1: Album that I consciously wanted to have was The College Dropout, So I have a different reverence for him or or just understanding of like how my life went and how it influenced things I do. Like I think most rappers got a rapper that was their first album and probably from they city, you know what I'm saying. So imagine if yours was Kanye West, right, so, and imagine if you worked with them, and imagine all that shit. So it's like for me, I think I just begin that, you know, I let people be people. I always gonna have my own opinions, and I'm gonna always state my opinions, you know what I'm saying, Not necessarily on camera usually, but like but like you know, for the most part, I'm gonna just I'm just be me.
Speaker 3: I'm let people be them.
Speaker 1: And so no, there's not like a time where like I'm like, man, I gotta make sure I hit up Kanye before I put this album out, or after I put this album out, or anybody, you know what I'm saying, Like I'll be thinking about like who's in the rack like who am I gonna hang out with today?
Speaker 3: Who's going? What business do I have to do today? Is more of my like Emma, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listening to the album, I was happy to hear Vic vic mint on that. Yeah, yes, because that was one of the guys I was going to ask you about, Like what's your relationship? Like obviously y'all working together. Yeah, but over the years it's kind of been like you said, I don't you have friends that you haven't spoken to in five six years?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Was that what it was with Vic?
Speaker 1: It's different because Vic me and Vic really really really grew up together. Yeah, really did a lot of like first time Vic was in the studio and maybe my second time ever being in a studio, first time ever actually being my session was together, like rapping together as fourteen year olds, so like we super know each other, so like we us falling out like we didn't been jumped together like we had Like that's really my nigga. So I think of I feel like our relationship we randomly used to get into it.
Speaker 3: Now we're both grown, we both got kids.
Speaker 1: Like it's a different dynamic and a different sense of urgency and understanding like, oh, my success is really your success, and your success is really my success in a positive way like we used to just you know, naturally we.
Speaker 5: A lot of people would never admit that though. That's dope that you just said.
Speaker 1: That we it's like it's true, like we like when Vic is when people are finally thinking of Vic, they finally thinking of me, And when they finally think of me, they finally thinking of Vict And we know each other so well, been in so many of the same after school programs and just being honest, and I've said this before, like a lot of things that happened for me came from a snowball effect of being a roadie for Kizzies Days. Vic used to be in a band called Kizzies Days in twenty twelve, and really.
Speaker 3: No before that.
Speaker 1: When we were in high school twenty ten, twenty eleven, twenty twelve, there was a band called Kizzies Days and it was Nico Sagall, who's like one of my producers, one of my best friends still to this day. Liam, everybody, it's nine people in the spand so I gues shut out everybody, Maycy shout out, May see everybody, Greg, who's still you know what I'm saying, plays drums for me and was one of my producers. But we all grew up together. They started getting on They was like on Conan O'Brien. They was doing south By Southwest. We in high school, by the way, you know what I'm saying. So like Vic used to let me come in like help set up shit. But then he'd put me on stage four verse for a song that I wasn't even on their recorded version of.
Speaker 3: But I'll come and do a verse.
Speaker 1: And I got you know, my my first person that I worked with who was my publicist, he was he was their publishers. He saw me perform and he suggested me go on tour as a as a feeling opener for Donald Glover, and that really took a lot of things off. So Vic put me in position in a lot of ways when we were younger to like have big moments. Yeah, and you know, and I did the same thing for him. But then we were also have like little moments where like you know what I'm saying, I don't know, we just like we'll snake each other, I guess, like just being honest, Fred.
Speaker 4: The balance of you do something for me, I'll do something for you when I'm hotter at the moment, you out of at the moment.
Speaker 5: Well not snake shit because friends don't do snake shit.
Speaker 1: Well we niggas, you know what I'm saying. Like we was like we like also you got to know, like I'm love you know what I'm saying. I was a I'm really from Chicago and I really used to just be running around so like we like in terms of homies doing snake shit, like you know what I'm saying, Like Chicago is the king of that shit, Like you know what I'm saying, Like for real, So like I'm just saying, like it's it's just about like how you grow through that shit and what like I guess ultimately decisions you make. So there were times where we wasn't really on the same page, we wasn't talking as much. And then really, I would say around twenty twenty two into twenty twenty two, me and Vic started getting closer, started recording the together more and doing different stuff and.
Speaker 3: Who reached out to who.
Speaker 1: I reached out to Vic. What happened was now I'm remembering everything. It's so crazy. I had a dinner where I invited all my people that I that have supported me in Chicago that are like real people that I've known since I was a kid, but have you know, also got successful. Yeah, Joe fresh Goods, my homegirl Mary mckem, who runs saft. Shit, we were all kids and the shit Joe's a little bit older than us, but like we all like kind of you know, around I not to do my own horn, but around the time between as rab and Color and Book Chicago, you know what I'm saying, And that's also because of so many artists, you know what I'm saying, releasing at the same time. But in this time period, a lot of artists and a lot of like adjacent you know, you know, creatives all had this big surge and we all, you know, grew from that. And so I called up all the people that I knew, I had worked with, that had supported me in the past, and was like, y'all, I'm about to start working on the project. It's crazy that that was five years ago now. But one of the people that I reached out to was Vic because it's like, I do my best versus when I know I have to go against you on a song, and I would love to like just have your discipline What Vic has that I don't necessarily always have is he's a very disciplined This nigga meditates like he does certain things. That's like, since we were kids, that was just always weird to me. And when now we're old, I'm just being honest, and now we're older, and now I'm like.
Speaker 3: I wish I had that discipline.
Speaker 1: And so me and Vic started like we would take trips out to La together and just like be at this house that I was running there and just be making songs, making songs, making songs. So my newest single tree is from a session in like twenty twenty two with Smino or Smino came through the crib and kicked it with me, and Vic brought his producer groove. They just played through some beats and me and and Vick is just like pick beats, like pig beats and right, pick beats and right like we grew up in this program all young Chicago authors when we was kids, and we used to have prompts and you basically come to the after school program. You get to chill for a second and then they gather everybody at this table and they like, okay, these are the two prompts for today, it's either you know, speak from speak from the viewpoint of you know, a chair that got left in the attic, or you know, tell us your tell us your deepest feet. And these those are weak ass prompts. I'm not a real teacher, you know what I'm saying. But like we grew up in this program where we used to have fifteen minutes to write either a poem or a rap or whatever to this thing and then get on stage in front of.
Speaker 3: Our piers and have to spit that shit.
Speaker 1: And so Vic brought it back to that really like Vic was like, we need to do prompts, like we need to be that and I'm not one hundred.
Speaker 3: Percent correct on that.
Speaker 1: That's Vic and Ajimoney, who was also in a lot of those programs with me.
Speaker 3: So we just spent time like writing.
Speaker 1: And then the thing that really changed everything was at the end of that year when I was first starting to kind of just like feel like I was having trouble, you know what I'm saying, like personal life, like just going through things. I had Vic, because he's Vica is Ghanaan. He's half Ghanaan, so he's been going to Ghana since we were kids. And now I don't know if y'all know, but like Gona's like popping Ghana kind of looks like you know what I'm saying. Like there, it's like it's like they got some shit going. So it's like I'm seeing what I'm saying, bros in Africa doing And that's back when my mind was like Africa, you know what I'm saying. Like now I'm much more educated. I understand a lot of things I didn't understand. But I'm like, damn me in Africa lit as fuck, like and I'm here going through depression or whatever the fuck this shit feels like, And I just hit him like, bro, I just need to come out there, like and so I went out there just me, no security, Me and my homie Peter Cottontail, who produces most of my music, went out there dolo like three days from when he said yes popped up And that really like shaped a lot of the project.
Speaker 3: It was other outside factors.
Speaker 1: My grandmother having a phone call with me that made me like really understand a lot of like my purpose as a writer or who what lineage I come from?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Meeting but a lot of the things that happened in Ghana that even like connected to my grandmother, Like if I didn't go out there with with Vic, like a lot of the direction came from that, like the use of visual arts, the connecting, the diaspora, the you know, the the you know. I had learned right before I got out there that my family had a history of Garvyites and people that followed Marcus Garvey and they was all on some like on some Black Starshit and so when you know, and I fucked with Black Star with most definite quality. But I don't know nothing that I didn't learn nothing from that show. When I was I was hearing that as a kid, so I really didn't know what they was talking about. And right before I went to Ghana, my grandmother called me and had this long talk with me about how important it is to tell the truth about our histories and don't wait till my daughters are too old to like give them the you know, some of the harsh realities of the world, and just like this whole thing.
Speaker 3: And then I'm like, when did you get so radical?
Speaker 1: She was like, well, I used to you know what I'm saying, be with stokely Carmichael and I used to be with this and I used to be with that. I'm like, damn, And she's like, oh, you don't know, like going all the way back to this. Somehow it got said that I was going to Ghana, and when I said that, she was like, you know, your whole family been going to Ghana since the seventies. You know that we, like your great grandmother started one of the first black churches in or first Church of Gods in West Africa.
Speaker 3: Did you know this? This? This? This, this? So I'm like, are we connected?
Speaker 1: Like now I'm not feeling like I'm going somewhere foreign now I really feel it's like, you know, this connection and a recent one. Not like I'm being honest with you. I'm gonna say, I'm be honest with you. I still ain't never went to the slave castles. You know, that's like a big thing when black folks, when African American folks go there.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like a tourism thing, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And people have told me that it has this profound unity, like physical reaction into it. I begin I don't want that ship, like I'll be watching the color purple for fun.
Speaker 3: I don't watch The Killer Purple if I need to, but.
Speaker 1: Like I'm getting that, I'm learning all this recent history about the dude that made Ghana free, the guy that, like, so Ghana is the first country in Africa to not have colonialism, to kick the British out, and they did it with this dude Kwame and Krumer who became their first president and he was on some Garviism ship. So that's why they got the black star and they flag, and so I'm looking at all these connections.
Speaker 3: I'm like, damn, this is a lot of stuff speaking to me.
Speaker 1: And I got to figure out a way to like to to tell the story to platform what I'm learning. And then I'm like, I'm dumb as hell. I'm a whole rapper, Like let me learn, let me collaborate, let me grow in this time and continue to produce work. So the whole time I'm doing that, I'm dropping some of my greatest music. I think the Highs and the Lows is one of my greatest songs. I haven't made that sounds like four years old, five three years old now, but like I still feel like I made that in this vein of like this road that I was going on, the same thing with y'all know, same thing with you know, the Vulnerability and uh three three three three, Like there's all these songs that like kind of you know, kept checking in with my fans as I was growing, but still taking the time to like craft something that they could hear.
Speaker 3: That's new.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you brought up the conversation with your grandmother and her saying you have to give harsh truths to your daughter's right away. Is that where some of the energy went into with Letter from Chance, which is you know, not unexpected. You and I talked off Mike on Texas. You know, I grew up Irish Catholic, which I've talked on this pot about.
Speaker 3: My mother was my Sunday school teacher.
Speaker 4: Yeah, super Irish Catholic, and I've had reservations where I went and studied other religions, tried to find other denominations just because it was a very weird experience once I got a little older. Yeah, being that you have had I wouldn't even say the stereotype, but you have obviously that gospel in your music since acid rap. Yeah, it's it's how did you feel putting that record?
Speaker 3: Together.
Speaker 4: That doesn't contradict because I just think it's reality of the church. But saying those things and kind of airing out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard putting it out. I would say it was harder than writing it, but actually that's not true. I felt I do remember like there was what's funny about me? And I found out that like other like some of my peers don't do this. But I'll be coming up with concepts long before I have the version of the song. And sometimes I'll make three versions of one concept over completely different kind of beats, whole new words, still the same thing I'm trying to get across, just maybe a different way. And when I like, one of the things that greatly inspired me when I was making this project, being honest, even before I went to Ghana, was reading this dude named James Khne and James Cone. Basic is like he's a what do they call him, a theologist, A theologian, I don't know, theology theologist that in the sixties that was like he invented what they call black liberation theology. And so it's basically a you know, everybody that's a pastor, any of your pastors for the most part, unless they were grandfathered in, they went to seminary, they went to school, and just like when you go to college, you pick a master, you pick like a certain study. It's going to come from a certain lens and have a certain principle. So all of these different not just denominations, but also all of these different theologies come from how they learned the Bible and who taught it to them. What's the most important thing? Is it, you know, a gospel of long suffering? Is it a gospel of forgiveness? Is it a gospel of evangelism? Is it a gospel of what's the one that they got on TV? Prosperity gospel? Is it about the riches that you could obtain in this life? Joe Olstein with facts zoologists, there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of like that's a capitalist, That's what I'm saying. But that's that is what it is.
Speaker 1: That's literally But but I'm not going I'm not trying to do nobody seology. What I'm saying is like I first started learning about black liberation theology because my grandmother got me this book and it's basically this dude who at the time was young, he was a theologist that was friends with Stokely Carmichael, Malcolm Max Martin, Luther King. Right at the turn of this like new you know, when they made Black Sail Out, I'm Black and I'm proud, Like that was super radical, Like niggas did not want to be called black at that time, you know what I'm saying. So, like black people go through these different you know, sort of revolutions and identity of being like, oh no, we're not niggas no more. Oh no, we're not colored people no more. Oh no, we're not African American noma. Oh no, we're not Afro American no more. Oh no, we not you know, negroes whatever. Like But but that's an important thing. Self determination is like a part of living, like you want to be identify how you see yourself. And when James Brown, like black back power basically came out as like a like a thing niggas were screaming at rallies that had people just as scared as Black Lives Matter, or it's not more scared because it's a response to white power.
Speaker 3: So they like, oh, which you mean black power?
Speaker 1: Like, so when James Brown did that, it kind of like changed the whole culture and how a lot of people talked about everything like, oh, we could be proud to be black, which is at this time basically like the N word, Like we could be proud to be that. Okay, that shit starts to reverberate in all these other different spaces and in the world of like the black churches which are now starting to organize with King starting to you know, the mosque in Chicago's starting to organize with Malcolm. This dude comes starts writing these books, one called Black Liberation, Black Power, and Black Theology, one called The Crossing the Lynching Tree, which was the one that really like it is kind of like gave me the basis for a lot of the album, but he just made me like start to read the gospel in a different understanding and different like you know, sense of self and self determination. And so that song was like something that I knew I needed to, Like, if I'm talking about all these different aspects of my black experience and what I see in the world and what I see wrong and what I see right, and how I see myself, how could I not speak on the church right? And I got to speak on it at large and as small. So the first verse is about my own family church, and just how I've watched my church, you know, essentially whither because of certain politics of certain you know, just how people.
Speaker 3: Treat each other.
Speaker 1: And I'm not trying to like I ain't trying to put my church on blast, you know what I'm saying, But I have to come from the internal first before I could be talking about other people. So I talk about my church a little bit in the verse. Then the second verse, I talk about the megachurches.
Speaker 3: I talk about the.
Speaker 1: Joe Losteins and the people that denied shelter to people when they have mega stadiums, and the people that, you know what I'm saying, other mega church asters that would you know, spit in their hand and put in on somebody's face as a demonstration. Like I'm seeing these things that contradict with other things that they do, and it's a It's not an issue with the person at all. It's about the action and like what does it mean to be the body of Christ? So I'm examining that for those two verses, and then the third verse, I talk about the Black Church and talk about the things that we've seen happen. We know that they bombed four little girls in a church. We know that, just as recently a couple of years ago, a man walked into a church in Buffalo and killed these innocent, none people that's praying so and we know you know that they used to the people that were doing lynchions. If you've got to if you got any of those photos or the lynchons, if you turn the camera the other way, it's the entire church congregation that's putting on this public lynching. Right, So, at what point do we the black church which does exist, like it is a thing, you know what I'm saying. We could say that we don't want to discriminate by churches, but there is a black church, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: How do we not ignore that? How do what do? What? What does? What is? What does God tell us? You know what I'm saying? And I don't. And I think like.
Speaker 1: The all of those parts of the song are still like an examination. They're not statements, you know, they're not meant to be statements from me.
Speaker 3: I'm playing a character.
Speaker 1: There's this, you know in the Bible, at the end of the Bible, like there's a lot of if you ever heard of Romans or Thessalonians, or Galatians, or like any of the ones that end with Ann's at the end, Corinthians.
Speaker 3: These are letters to.
Speaker 1: To corinth to the to So these are the Corinthian letters, or these are you know, these these are letters from this dude, Paul, that were chastising the churches in these different cities that were not practicing the Gospel the way that they were supposed to. And so there's a lot of jokes on some Christians, like if we want to get into like Christian jokes, like people always talk about like the letters that we would receive if if Paul was to write a letter to the Church of America, like if this was America's in the Bible, that whole thing would be a scathing letter. So it's like I write those three verses from that perspective, and then the last one I just kind of examine what it means to be the body of Christ. And so, to answer your question short, it was very hard to, like, I think, publish the song because I know that there's gonna be a visceral reaction from people that feel like you talking about the church and you're talking about my God. And there's also going to be you know, people that'd be like, oh, right message, wrong messenger or whatever. So like publishing it is hard, and then I think, yeah, like taking certain times, like I'll make a song and then go back a million times and like, you know, oh I wasn't going hard enough, or oh I might have been saying going too hard on.
Speaker 2: The music on this on this, on this album is incredible. I was telling Rory last week because I think you had sent it in the chat and then had to send it again.
Speaker 3: Because it kept updating too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was like, I was listening to it last night that I listened on the way to studio today, and the first thing, like.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 5: It's weird the way I listen.
Speaker 2: To albums and artists. I don't hear the words the first listening.
Speaker 3: Most people do. It's just music.
Speaker 2: So I'm listening to the music and I'm like, damn, like this is some of the best music I've heard from Chance, Like I can digest this, Yeah, like I can, I can hear this.
Speaker 5: I'm like, okay. So then now I'm listening to the lyrics.
Speaker 2: I'm finding the lyrics more and I'm hearing certain little things and little and I'm like, okay, but I was really listening because it was like, you're one of the artists that I always felt like. It's talented, like super super talented. But I have this thing where me personally, you can be the most talented, amazing artist, but I.
Speaker 5: Don't listen to your music.
Speaker 3: I know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 2: You understand I'm saying. It's like I don't know where to listen to it. I don't know what time when I have time to listen to it. Everything is consumed in my phone, YouTube and whatever the fuck else, dinner and you know me, family.
Speaker 4: There's artists that's just cool to say you like them, you don't really be listening to shit.
Speaker 1: That's what the Street team and thing like that's what like I'm doing right now with this album and like really working it and like going to the people and popping up places with my CD is like you have to meet people where they are. In this world, everything is made to be super accessible and promotional.
Speaker 3: So like you you.
Speaker 1: Could spend however much money you want on recording and editing and mixing a song and making a music video and doing a radio campaign, but it's like you ultimately giving that music away for free at some point at some point that music is going out to people. So it's like, how do you like get in front of somebody and say, hey, person a.
Speaker 3: Person, if you support me, if you rock with me by my CD.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, And like, you can't get that across without being there, I think with the people, like I'm in a space were like I really just I love being out and being able to like talk to the people because they got stories and they've got and it's been a journey like this is I dropped. I dropped ten Day in twenty twelve, so that project is like thirteen years old? Is that gonna have thirteen years old? So like I'm basically a vet. I'm thirty two. I'm a VET in this shit.
Speaker 5: Supporters are different, Fans are different.
Speaker 2: They've grown, they've gotten older, they've had families, They've a lot has changed.
Speaker 1: They and they and they feel a lot of the things that I had to feel early. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. Like like I said, I got married young and had my kids young. I got you know, I got on young, like.
Speaker 5: iMusic out young.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. So it's like when you when you.
Speaker 1: When you're growing with your fans, you gotta you gotta let them know like, hey, I'm right here, Like I'm right here.
Speaker 2: Are we feeling this together, experiencing these things together? Fact where you're at in your life with your family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna ignore Josh again and ask one more question. You being one of the first people that got, if I remember correctly, the first exclusive Apple Music deal.
Speaker 1: I don't think I was the first, but I think I was, like I was, I was probably I was the unsigned dude, I was the flagship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in retrospect, do you feel like, no, no, no, not what you did just do? Just the streaming war that was between Apple, Spotify and Title and even Title at the time when it was bringing in everybody. Yeah, it's craziest press releases ever, bad marketing, but he had every artist like he was trying to get.
Speaker 3: And almost not talking bad about anything. Jay Z ever did no, no, not on that.
Speaker 4: But do you think the fans are the ones that suffered from that entire few years?
Speaker 3: The artist? For sure?
Speaker 1: What think about paying ten dollars a month for all the music in the world. Here's where I feel bad or I feel like my space in it and while I'm like pushing so hard to like get my.
Speaker 3: Physical CD to a fan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of the way.
Speaker 1: It's this was like this was our our you know exchange, Like I made something for you.
Speaker 3: Here, hold it in your hand.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Take it home, put it in the car, burn a copy for somebody type shit.
Speaker 3: And I did that hand in hand.
Speaker 1: And when I you know, got to the age I put out tend I think I was nineteen. Uh, you know SoundCloud, that peth audio Mac, all these streaming spaces were YouTube were all like you know, coming up in terms of like how people wanted to access music, even though the iTunes store still was dominating how people access stuff in stores, physical mechanical sales were dominating. It was like I could put this shit up here for free, get way more people that aren't going to wait for getting behind the paywall or whatever. Like I could get these people right now to hear it, and then they'll want to then they'll want to buy a shirt, you know, they want to buy a ticket to the show.
Speaker 3: And uh, there was a like.
Speaker 1: A dissonance when I was trying to because there was a point where I was trying to get a label deal, like where I was going to label meetings right after ten days, What.
Speaker 5: Do you think about going with.
Speaker 1: Whoever has some money, Nikka, Like I ain't have no money, they have no money. So like you know what I'm saying, whoever I can get some money from. And those deals were awful, They're terrible. And I decided, like you know, because it was costing me money just to receive the contracts, like you got to have a lawyer that's just reading them. You getting paid just for him to read the ship, right, I was like, I told them, don't send me no more contracts till after I dropped my my project in the spring. That's when I dropped Asserrap. And once I dropped as Rap, I was like, oh I don't need this shop on to it. But the the that streaming time that I was on depif and Aldio like wish I did for Assirap too, ass Wrap also was not on iTunes or no ship like yeah, and so it's like that level of like straight to my fans, I fucked with that. I didn't think about like my whole point when I was saying that and I interviews, what I was saying it was like I don't think it's fair that I have to sell it at this market price of ninety nine cents, because what if I think my song costs more than that, you know what I'm saying. And so I was like I was outside the system in that way, and nobody wanted to give me a deal without giving me mechanicals. So you have to have a budget and your record deal for how much they're going to press up of your mechanicals, and you want them to press more so you have more stores, but you also don't want them to press a bunch because that's the budget. So now they owe them money. So I was like, hey, I want every every deal I'm coming in. I'm just like a kid, and I'm like thinking, I'm so fucking smart, I talk well, and I'm like, well, well, I was like blah blah blah, no mechanicals, No three sixty, and they're like, hell no, that's not how this shit worked, like in are building. But I championed that streaming thing, and then what happened was being honest, like it got commercialized and a bunch of you know, people put their money together. Labels, other people put their money together, like hey, we can offer full catalogs and music and basically, you know, make this thing because people are like, basically, the music is always gonna move faster than the industry, Like the ability to put out something is gonna move faster than the ability to figure out a way to capitalize off of it. But it's kind of a short space behind. So we used to have music and compositions where people will send like sheet music around. Then you know, record companies were like, or publishing companies like, well, we will publish the music for you. And then people are like, okay, we're making vinyl records. We got recordings, and then somebody who owned the labels like, let's buy all the vinyl press and plants, so now we the record industry. And then it just keeps going like that. You know, Napster fucked up the industry for a second. And then that's when they was like, okay, well we need an itune. So like, so somebody figures out a way to make the music accessible to everybody, and then somebody has to figure out a way to make money off of it. And when it got to the Apple Music shit, I really was like, you know, I'm thinking about myself in the moment I'm thinking about, like, Okay, they finna give me some cash, you know what I'm saying, I'll still own my masters. I still It's really just this is a beef between them. That's how I'm really thinking about it. I'm like, there's a beef between Apple and Title.
Speaker 3: And all them. This shit don't got nothing to do with me.
Speaker 1: Like if Tidal had give me a bag first, or if this person give me a bag first, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't even think I was in that space, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like the people that was getting those exclusive deals was like Frank Ocean, Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: He found the greatest loophole level, you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, Like like those kind of people were then, and then like they tightened the reins on that too, so like now it's like you can't really do an exclusive with anybody because they were saying it's sucking up the money between them. But what I did by doing that, by becoming like, you know, this flagship artist for streaming and having the reputation that I have, everybody's like streaming is good, but like I'm sure that y'all read somewhere that's streaming not good right for the artists, like absolutely.
Speaker 3: And so just like I think it's funny that I'm always kind of like anti.
Speaker 1: I'm not a contral but I'm like, I see something, I'd be like, oh, I want to go this opposite direction, and then sometimes that will become the popular idea, and then by the time that happens, I'm like, well, actually this shit, I'm not really like that, like I would like that. So yeah, definitely buy my album from me. You feel me like it's gonna be on streaming. Stream it up. I appreciate all the streams, but like, come to my website, Chance Stuff. I literally package them up and put them in boxes and mail them to you myself.
Speaker 3: That's real nigga shit.
Speaker 2: Starlin August fifteenth, Incredible project. The music is fire, love the love, the features you got on there. Good to hear you and vict working again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Where can they get it at?
Speaker 1: You can get it at chancestuff dot com. So I'm Chance, this is my stuff. He's Chanced, that's his stuff. Go to chance stuff dot com.
Speaker 3: You will order.
Speaker 1: We send it straight to you. And just so you know this, this is a new kind of technology. It's called an NFC time. Let me show you this actually, so basically most niggas don't have CD players, but there's this thing called the nf SEE technology. It means near field communication. What you do is when you put the album directly to your phone to populate a little link, open the camera. No, no, no camera needed. That's like you, that's in two thousand and late. It's like this, like brand new that's twenty twenty, twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Five, and I can finally see all the most text messages so.
Speaker 5: Right now on the album CD.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when you when you get the album and I mail it to you and you get in the car and you remember you don't got a CD player, tap your phone to this.
Speaker 3: You can bluetooth it straight off of that and the CD. That's crazy. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I closed the site and still play it. So that's the most important thing. You can close the sime still play it. If you got Safari on your phone, it'll still work.
Speaker 1: But the key is like I want people to have something from me that like when I'm gone. You know what I'm saying, Like you have something that came directly from me, and get it from a story and it's not like in your cloud or something like that. This is you can only get this from me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fire, all right, man, what chance. We appreciate you coming.
Speaker 5: Back, man, It's good to see you.
Speaker 2: Good to have this project this Friday.
Speaker 3: Thank y'all.
Speaker 1: Hey, let me also say this place is incredible, Like place is so nice, like niggas be having sticky floors and shi.
Speaker 3: This is a huge studio and it's beautiful. Y'all got the wrong set up.
Speaker 5: Thank you, bro. We appreciate you for coming by.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: I'm that nigga.
Speaker 3: He's just ginger. A chance to wrap it, U