Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's Tiffany Cross. I'm your host of Across Generations, and you can catch new episodes of Across Generations every Tuesday wherever you get your podcasts. I am sitting here going through our reviews. When you rate and review a show, it really helps grow our platform. And I'm reading all of these wonderful reviews that you are so kindly took the time to write. So I just want to shout a few of you all out because I'm just touched and overwhelmed. Never enough shoes. That's somebody's handle, which I love. A woman after my own heart. She says that she is sure she's gonna love this podcast. I want to know did you listen, and if so, drop another review and let us know what you think because we love having you as a listener. I also wanted to thank tiff hops tif if Tiff is short for Tiffany, you gotta say, I love your name, but you said woo who You're excited for this and you love the title, and anytime I speak, you're always tuning in. Well, thank you, sis, I really appreciate that. Keep tuning in and tell your friends to rate and review the show as well. We really appreciate it. I also want to shout out Jaya four eight eight. You said you are excited to have a weekly double dose of me on this podcast, so I really appreciate you tuning in. Remember new episodes of Across Generations drops every Tuesday, so tell your friends, tell your family. Listening with a group is a really great way to enjoy Across Generations because we want the conversation to continue well after we're off the air. So if you tune in, be sure to rate and review the show. And we go through these reviews. Guys, we read every single one, so you never know we might tap you in to be a guest again. I'm your host, Tiffany Cross to a cross generation. Welcome to a cross Generations where the voices of black women unite. I'm your host, Tiffany Cross. Tiffany Cross. We gather a season elder myself as the middle generation, and a vibrant young soul for engaging intergenerational conversations. Prepare to engage or hear perspectives that know no one else is happy.
Speaker 2: You know how we do?
Speaker 1: We create Maggie Creates mag Hey everybody, I'm Tiffany Cross and welcome to your next episode of Across Generations, and this is going to be a great conversation. We are talking about music, and music is deeply rooted in our tradition. The soundtrack of my life can be set chronologically by the music my mother will play on Saturday mornings. You know those Saturday mornings where everybody gotta get up and do chores. Well, she'd be playing Stevie Wonder, Natalie Cole, Earth Wind and Fire Maze, and Frankie Beverly of course, Prince Anita Baker, Luther Big Luther and Little Luther, Michael Jackson, of course, Eurley Murdoch, Regina Bell, of course, Whitney Houston, the Voice. I gotta tell you, I would barely be ten years old, singing along talking about somebody else's husband as we lay barely in my double digit singing and my imaginary husband that I am not just superwoman. It took me to a place yet unseen. When What's the four one one drops? I was a teenager at this time and albums were fading out, CDs were fading in. I listened to that CD and had every song memorized. In the week, Who among us wasn't looking for real love in nineteen ninety one. This is around the same time I was one of my first adult parties, and one of the first was in Atlanta, Georgia.
Speaker 2: At Wendy Hill Village.
Speaker 1: And this is back when the parties always closed out to that slow song some of y'all know what I'm talking about and Forever My Lady by Jodas he came on Baby, the hormones were hormony.
Speaker 2: Then came the girl.
Speaker 1: Groups, Escape in Vogue, and you may remember a little girl group, Destiny's Child. I wonder whatever happened to them, and of course Brownstone more about that later. So I wonder now are the love balance the same what we listened to, how we listened to music. We went from boomboxes to walkman tonanos to our phones. We went from copping albums, the dubbing tapes, the burning CDs to now streaming stars are discovered and made on social media. Audio soon helps the tuneless, and streaming numbers do not translate to millions of dollars for artists. So for both artists and consumers, I wonder, is this the best earl R and B or the worst?
Speaker 2: And why?
Speaker 1: And where are we going? In this industry. So you guys remember like Blue Eyed Soul, like they kind of had a place, right. I mean, you think about color me bad, George Michael, Michael Bolton, who is the guy who just died? Bobby Caldwell. Bobby Caldwell, he was I would listen to these guys and think they were literally black, but they were not. So we're going to get into this conversation and I want to bring in my guests.
Speaker 2: Joining me now Nikki Gilbert Daniels.
Speaker 1: She's fifty three year old singer and songwriter, most known for being the founder of the multi platinum Grammy nominated group Brownstone.
Speaker 2: I used to love that song if you Love Me, y'all know that song.
Speaker 1: The group had success during the mid nineties as the first group sign to Michael jack Sin's record label MJJ. Currently independent, Nikki has set forth to create her own streaming platform to give female artists more control over their content. I'm sure a lot of female artists appreciate that. She's also the creator of the hit reality series R and B Divas. Now on the other side of this, we have Smaya. She's twenty six years old. She's an independent singer and songwriter I wonder if she'll sing for us today. She's based in Atlanta, Georgia. She's never been signed to a major label and does not aspire to be signed. Proudly writes all of her own music. She strongly wants to be able to heal others through her music, while unfortunately navigating an industry that has not made her feel safe or supported as a woman.
Speaker 2: Isn't that all the industries? But yes, very much.
Speaker 1: I am so excited about having this conversation.
Speaker 2: Especially with somebody I used to listen.
Speaker 1: To all the time.
Speaker 2: Is no excitement for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, when they told me that they hooked to you, I was super excited. So I'm so happy to be in community with both you ladies. Nikki, since you've had a career in music, I mean, really, it has taken such a turn. I remember when Walkman's were a big deal, yes, ma'am, And when CDs came out, I was like, but what are you going to do? Like how are you going to be able to be a bubble? And then there was sure enough you could have a Walkman and a CD player. And then after that it was like the whole industry changed. Napster came along, and everything changed. Yes, yeah, it really redefined the industry. But as an artist, because I only experienced this as a consumer. As an artist, I'm curious, what was the state of R and B then in your heyday, and what is the state of R and B now in your opinion?
Speaker 3: I think the biggest difference in R and B ban and now is artist development, right. I think back then you had to know how to sing, you had to know how to write. Yeah, you had to really invest in your craft.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now it's a numbers game, right, which you know, I understand people wont capitalized and monetize. But I think when you start talking about longevity and when you talk about being here thirty years later, which we will be next year for thirty years, the biggest thing is that artists development and having a real love for the craft, the music, the songs, the lyrics, all of it.
Speaker 2: It's kind of the thing of the past. It feels like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm gonna shift to you, Samaia. So you're young and cool and independent.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Questions Come on, I can set a little cool cocktail for the folks listening to us. I put on my cool shade so I can talk to the cool hip artists. No, but seriously, you're entering this industry, you don't have a memory of what it was like, you know, walk in CD players, But who were like, like, what is even old school to you?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Who are some of the people that you wean you're weaned after, like your style that you were inspired by?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say I grew up listening to artists like h NB, I Re Music, Soul, Child, just Scot justone R and b Neo Soul.
Speaker 1: It was like that, Okay, okay, so all those sounds kind of influence you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this is the thing that I think as consumers we don't realize because we just like music, and so you know, I download music, I listen to it, I play it, But those streaming numbers are not necessarily profitable to the artists themselves.
Speaker 2: I don't even understand how that works. I don't think anybody understands how it works to really honest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just something that literally came out of thin air, Like the music comes out of thin air, and it's just something that they sort of just decided this is blue, so.
Speaker 2: We're gonna call it purple.
Speaker 3: We don't know, And the truth is unless you are a streaming platform or you have access to the back door of the analytics. Nobody really knows what was making the money. Spotify is making the money, iTunes is making the money. The distributors that are in partnership with those streamers. I'm not the artists. No, they're now let me say they're recently Sony Music. Shout out to Sony. We had conversations and they made a few changes, and those changes are that most artists from the nineties did not have any If streaming didn't exist in the nineties, how do you addressing in the contract, right? How do you say, hey, listen, we want this for your streaming. So I think that it was it was referenced as a digital file because they would send those over to Europe as opposed to actually sending records, right, because they had stuff like breakage and all the excuses for taking your money. Now, these digital files are the closest thing to streaming. So typically what happens with nineties and legacy artists is if you have a digital file, because they don't have to have the breakage and the returns and all that other stuff, because you can't technically return a digital file right, Yeah, you get fifty percent. Right, So what they're saying is you're getting fifty percent of two dollars. Now, we get fifty percent, but we can't determine if that fifty what that number we're getting fifty percent of is actually an accurate number?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Right, So there's always a way. Yeah, and look to be fair.
Speaker 1: I mean, I will say in the nineties, like TLC went broke, they filed bankrucy, Tony Braxton foiled Bankrancy. So the music industry has always been somewhat shady, I think, and like the deals that artists get first time deals. Why are you resistant to signing to a label? And would you as an artist starting out, would you make more money on the front end signing to a label or are you better off staying independent?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think with the money labels give, like you got to pay back, right, I feel like that's you starting in a deficit now rather not.
Speaker 2: I think I'm more keen on being independent.
Speaker 4: Because I value creative control and kind of operating based on you know, what I think is best for myself. Don't necessarily want anyone controlling me. I appreciate guidance and and all those things, but I still want to be in control of my past. Yeah, I completely get that creative control is a big deal. And I know what you mean about like how deals are structured.
Speaker 1: Somebody get a little packer on the phone, relating to relate. I think that's that's an interesting take before we get too deep in the business though, just because I'm I'm in the mood, I'm feeling a babe, I just want to talk about the music itself, because when I think about good music, like there's music from my era, you know, like definitely the nineties girl group, Like that was my era, you know, But then my mother's music was also kind of my music, you know, Like she my mother had amazing taste in music. She like has this huge album collection. She gave all those albums away, but had this huge album collection, and I mean from like Diana Ross, Billie Holiday and she.
Speaker 2: This is what I notice happens in every generation.
Speaker 1: And I feel like I'm becoming one of those people, one of those get off my launched. Every generation talks about how crappy.
Speaker 2: The next the next generation music.
Speaker 1: I find myself feeling that way, and I feel like I'm so lame feeling that way. But I remember my mother saying that to me, and she would talk about the vulgarity of it. I'm like, man, you want to go dipp into your Stashi records? Ut like she you know, I'm like, I remember being a little smelling at Resa party.
Speaker 2: I remember that music. But it's always been like that.
Speaker 1: But do you as an artist, like, do you hear some of the music today this trash?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You too, Auntie, who hasn't because for that very reason, Like, we've really become an industry that's based on numbers. So when you're based on numbers, it's just like, you know, let's just shake us, let's you know, drop a low spreaded wide, you know what I mean. It's not about the actual music the lyrics, right, And that's cool.
Speaker 2: Because I know that, you know, we have to evolve.
Speaker 3: Like you said that our parents thought our music was bad and it's nothing compared to this. But I do believe that the connection to your what you liked about your mom and the nineties music is that we were actually inspired by what we heard, right, right, heard great music and great lyrics, and we were inspired by that. And then there's this period between the nineties and today because I don't think there's been anything since the nineties where it's just been a whole bunch of like who shot John? That's not making a lot of it doesn't connect, and it's it's clear because nobody's going out. People are going to see ninety shows, but I don't know how many people are going out to see two thousands shows like that. Maybe, but maybe they are, and we just are not the drop it. Yeah, okay, yeah, well we will rise with.
Speaker 2: I mean, I literally I don't know. But I just don't think. I don't think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I don't think anything sticks to your ribs. I think everything is like, you know, you're hungry, you throw something in the microwave to get sune quickly, right my taste?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not good for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think when you let them greens sit in there for a few hours and you cook it load. That's what good soul music is. Soul food, sol music. It's a thing. It's something that takes time to evolve and to develop. We used to have this thing called freshman Jitters on our second albums because there was always like competing with that first successful record. We really cared and we really worked hard to make sure that we could do album after album that would compete with the first one.
Speaker 2: Now it just doesn't matter the singles driven industry.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, you listen to songs for two minutes plenty Grapevine, it's five minutes and forty five seconds.
Speaker 2: That way too long.
Speaker 1: But you know, you know it's not too We love Grapevine, but for you, Like I said this one of our meetings that we had talked about this show, and I was like, I don't know, I just feel like all this new R and B is just about sex.
Speaker 2: And one of our producers, Mandy.
Speaker 1: Was like, how dare you there are great music that people talk about love and but I had to think about I had to consider her point because I'm like, you know what, I don't listen to a lot of new R and B, so just what I've heard doesn't necessarily speak to me. But school me like, you're an independent artist, so are there people out there? It's like, no, Like you were talking about her, the music artist her. I think it's a beautiful voice, super talented. I definitely like her songs. My friend Carrie Champion is like a huge TIMS fan, so she like is always talking about Tims outside of it.
Speaker 2: I don't know that.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of current people in heavy rotation. Okay, I mean I would recommend alex Eisley for sure.
Speaker 2: I think she would. I think she said.
Speaker 4: Out amongst a lot of R and B artists that are just like newer. I agree with y'all a lot of what you said. Like, I do think there's a lot of music that is being amplified and promoted that doesn't matter, that won't last past two seconds.
Speaker 2: But there are a lot of underground artists.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of R and B artists that are like, are out here, are promoting themselves, they just don't have the machine behind them making amazing music. Like there's another R and B artist India, Sean La, and.
Speaker 2: I mean her, like the soul in her voice is just it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Really Okay, So I listened to a lot of different R and B artists because I'm just I love R and B. So yeah, all day, how do we find these people that, like when you say they're giving great music? I made the point of in the open saying people stars are discovered on Instagram, you know they're made on TikTok and so I'm not necessary. I don't live my life on these platforms. So how can I find like good young artists who are like true artists and support them?
Speaker 2: How do you find it? I were like you, I want to support you.
Speaker 4: Well, I think I'm a little different in the sense of like, because I create music, I don't go looking for music.
Speaker 2: I just allow it to just naturally come to me. If I know.
Speaker 4: Something I can passing and I'm like, oh, that piques my interest, Like let me like explore this artist and like what they have to offer. Like there's an artist orian's son amazing but so underground, Like she's not well, like you know, she's not super amplified, but just super talented.
Speaker 2: And I think she's she did a colors.
Speaker 4: She did a colors. I'm not sure if you're familiar with that platform, but it's like, OK, I am not sure where they're so on YouTube kind of similar to tiny Desk, but I don't think they have.
Speaker 2: A wall, and it's different.
Speaker 4: Artists from Like there are some major artists that have gone up there and some very underground.
Speaker 2: Artists that have gone up there.
Speaker 4: I think they do a really good job in digging and just trying to find But the internet is going to be your best friend. Yeah, Like I don't, I don't know where to tell you to go look because where we're promoting ourselves is on the internet, because I mean, how well to do people find us? That's I mean anytime I'm performing in Atlanta, it's because somebody found me through social media?
Speaker 2: Really and like where do you perform? Wherever? They ask me? But like venues yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Different different venues, yeah, just around the city. I love what you said about you don't go looking for the mus like you create. You are are discipline, your you let the music come to here? Is that how the process wants for you?
Speaker 3: I think when you're real creative, you just have to find your own voice. And a lot of times, if you're going out and you're looking for other things with other people, you'll subconsciously even take something from somebody else without even realizing. Yeah, we're not talking about copyright in frins with that's but just being inspired, Yeah, being inspired, And yeah, I would say that a lot of times creatives tend to get into their own bubbles and create their own stuff and then sort of that's how you create a sound that works for you.
Speaker 2: So that's super powerful when people ask me like, who do you listen to me? Yeah, that's not that's not being vain.
Speaker 4: It's just not just like creating a lot, and it's like I do I need to listen to it over and over again and kind of sit with it and experience it so that I can figure out what I want to change or you know, yeah, I just got to.
Speaker 1: Sit the Yeah, I you know, I'm talking about how like the industry has changed, and it occurs to me the industry changed for you because like now I feel like you have to be a personality, you know, like your house and people see you before they hear you, and you have to have like stage presents all these things. But it was kind of the same for you because then it was there of music videos, yes, and so you weren't just on stage with a mic, like you haven't had a fit, you have had a dance moves down. And then you know, the same people who were like this music is trash, like those were like we have all these music videos. You just had one mic and five right.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: So the industry is always changing, So I, you know, I don't want to become a curmudgeon. But as you were talking about those people, I was trying to think of, like who I listened to there's an independent.
Speaker 2: Group tank in the Bangers?
Speaker 1: Yes, I know I love them, but they're so good. Okay, you look like you would like is there an independent share?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I heard it. Yeah, I need to. I literally happened upon her. She's dope.
Speaker 3: She's very like in a pocket, which is why to your point, you have to be careful about what you say. And it's interesting because she did a shot a cover, so it's kind of like hard to hear.
Speaker 4: You don't want to type you don't want to be type cast if you want to just represent yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Well, where do you think the industry is going? Because we talked about like where it's like, where where it's been, and where we are now. But for a younger person who's navigating this space, where do you think it's going. I think we're doing away with superstar like celebrity culture. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's going to be much of a thing anymore. I think it is going to start being more of like you find the artists that you really appreciate, You kind of find your niche and you dive into that.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's going.
Speaker 4: To be like, oh, you're like touring all the time, or if you are, it's just very like small, like more intimate spaces, which I kind of would appreciate it really.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How do we feel about award shop like the Grammys? For instance? Well, you are you are a Grammy winner, Grammy nomination, two time Grammy nominated artists. How do you feel about the feel war shows in general?
Speaker 3: But I feel like award shows in general have become opportunities for corporate sponsorship and corporate places, right. I think it's more based on relationships with labels who have the money to make sure that this artist is upfront. And I've been in some of those rooms where we're supposed to be been invited to be in that circle of people who are like, hey, this is a really important record to amplify, and it still ends up being well, yeah, but this person over here is sponsored by commercials.
Speaker 2: So I think it is.
Speaker 3: Disappointing to see that it has become more of a marketing opportunity for corporate you know, situations than art.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about you?
Speaker 4: I think I've always been told to care about that stuff. But I just naturally didn't like if I want to me, okay, great, But I think because of the purpose behind, like why I chose this path of like pursuing music.
Speaker 2: What I'm trying to do with music is far more important than an award.
Speaker 1: You know, well, I have to tell you, as a consumer, I can't tell you who won out best album last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the year before, that year before.
Speaker 1: It won't influence if I buy that album or not, you know, I but I do. I do download and like strain a lot of music. And I wonder, am I part of the problem as a consumer? Am I hoping to destroy this great medium that has meant so much to black folks?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think again, it's one of those situations where if that's what you're if that's what we're exposed to, because that is what the corporations have put the money behind making sure it's on the head, the front of the streaming sites or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know, what can you do except to word of mouth?
Speaker 3: Jill Scott is a classic example of I think the last time a word of mouth project really made a difference, Because if you think back and you're familiar obviously with Jill Scott. Okay, I think her first album was who was Jill Scott? And the whole campaign was we didn't know that this was Michael Jordan's label.
Speaker 2: We didn't know.
Speaker 3: We just we hear this music and we're getting into the music before we even see who the artist is, right, and then we're like, yes, she changed the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think when you have an opportunity to have authentic marketing where people can really just immerse themselves in the art and it's not all about the commercial stuff, we get back to that, we're good, but right now we're just you know, most of the people in the audience of the award shows are corporate guys and bring your friends to see people.
Speaker 2: It's that's fame have a negative impact on creating arts.
Speaker 5: Mmm.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think my first thought is yes, Like I think you see people kind of get into these spaces and get this notoriety and they flip on a dime, or they change, or some people might say, oh, it was always in them. I think fame can be good if you stay aligned to like who you are, and I guess if you're a good person, I guess let me say that, right, if you stay aligned to like who you are and you are trying to use your influence to positively impact the world. But I think it has become an extremely terrible thing. It's become a popularity context contest, and I feel like it's come a bit become a bit dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, well, Nikki honestly tell us that the change.
Speaker 1: You Hell no, no, are you at the height when people running?
Speaker 3: Let me tell you something. Let me tell you something in real life, and I thank God for it. Number One, I always kept family around me, So when I moved from Detroit to Los Angeles, I brought family with me.
Speaker 2: I hung around family.
Speaker 3: I took care of my sisters and my cousins and come live with me in LA. I never got caught up in it now, like I have one or two industry friends, Faith Evans, not to name drops one of them, but we knew each other before she became famous, very like, yes, absolutely, and she's very anti thing, very regular, very regular saying bisy from brick City whatever. So I never allowed myself to get into it because I've always known that it was a vapor. Any time, you know, it's funny because people talk about wanting to be the most famous person in the room. There will never be a person or people more famous than Prince or Michael Jackson.
Speaker 2: He most slave on the side of the space, this task.
Speaker 3: Michael talked about it and every turn we see based on how we all woke up this morning or yesterday morning and saw how real the world gets with certain very famous people, that it really is a toxic, destructive, awful place right now. And I believe that that is because they have prioritized numbers over art. Art is the soundtrack of our lives. When we hear make you want to holler, or we hear some of those songs you were talking about, like like your intro, I can smile about it because Saturday cleaned the crib music. Everybody had to, you know, and it was motivating you to do something, even if it was clean up your ron. Right like you talked about your I tend to agree with you. There are very few songs about love like that ribbon in the sky and where is the ribbon in the sky today?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Where is the rocket love? What is it writing in the rocket? Where's anything written by cev one? Yeah?
Speaker 1: We further folks who are are audio and if I will invite you, like if there are people I don't be I'm not over London, but I just feel like that's just kind of like, you know, no shame, but I just feel like it's.
Speaker 3: It's to your point, it's been done and he's really talented artist, but you want to say unique, Yeah, yeah, let us know who we should be listening to. Like I don't know if.
Speaker 2: The groove.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think of like the last like love song where it's like, oh you want that to be your wedding song? And I think that was like by Major this is why I Love you so long ago.
Speaker 2: So I mean that's what I'm saying, Like I do agree with y'all, like it is missing, Yeah, there's a lot missing. The music is changing.
Speaker 1: I think about like some of the songs I listen to and I talk about it.
Speaker 2: I really did not know what I was.
Speaker 1: Saying, but you know you would have, like you, I have been taking my little ten year old place that I didn't even know I felt it. And I wonder like who are the artists that take younger people to that place now? And you know, I don't know Eric Kabaidu, who was also a game changer. I think she one of my favorite songs Liberation, and it's a song that Erka Baidu did with Outcasts and it's I think I think Ever Write album is one, but it's an outcast Erka Badu song and there's a line in it where she says, all you want to do is give the world your heart. Record label try to make you compromise your heart? And I think so many artists can probably understand that, did the record label ever try to make you compromise who you were?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: So yes, from the perspective of, you know, outward appearance. Right creatively, we had creative license. I wrote maybe eighty percent of the records. Thank god they allowed us to do it. And because we were signing Michael Jackson's label, I think that there was a certain sensibility that we, you know, that he had that we were able to make from well we worked with him, not like we're in the sudre like hey, Mike, what you think of this same? But he did get you know, and that and that is where I have to say. They gave us freedom because they allowed us to move to New York and they would introduce us to all of these producers and we would just go in and vibe, and that's when albums took a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a body of work. It was a body of work. Now, when you say they allowed you to move to New York, is the record label paying for you?
Speaker 3: So listen, here's the thing, honey. We were doing car services and all kind of sugar honey. I see yeah, and then there you get.
Speaker 1: Here like, oh yeah, I got car service that you had for that year and a half. That's five hundred and sixty nine million dollars. So we definitely learned the hard way that you don't just and you're young. We're twenty two, twenty three years old. We're like, hey, this is cool. We're not taking the taxi, we're not taking the train. We want car mail, car service. And then you realize I was a mistake. But in terms of like when it got to the place and were like, okay, so maybe you should try some diapens or maybe there's always someone who's not really the label but closely connected to them, Like you know, I literally had major surgery.
Speaker 3: I had a tummy tuck and life a section. I talked about it all the time at twenty three, going on twenty four years old.
Speaker 2: My mom did not even know.
Speaker 3: I didn't even call my mom say like, hey, Mom, I'm going to have the surgery, because I knew she'd be.
Speaker 1: Like are you are you right? Why did you do it? Because I had very little I didn't start off with a little selmestine. See, I'm a girl who is heavy set, big girl. Cut my hair off natural, like you cut your yes, yes fine to me, Yeah, this is the women in my family rocked short natural hair. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then as I started to realize that the more detroit I was, the less I fit into that sort of la artists mode. So there was someone who literally referred me to a cosmetic surgery. I went to the same doctor who did Michael surgery.
Speaker 2: Why oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I had a whole full on tummy tuck and everything, and my mom did not know.
Speaker 2: I have my sister go with me, and she's like, you should tell me, you should tell me to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then another after I had the tummy tut I still didn't have a really bad case of body dysmorphia or whatever, and took fin finn back twelve shot yes and got always unhealthy skinny.
Speaker 1: And was the the ozpic and exactly yesteryear.
Speaker 3: And I'll never forget going home and I'm like, oh, everybody's going to see me.
Speaker 2: And my my mom opened the door and she was just like.
Speaker 1: Ah and I fly, yeah, yeah, I look sick. She was worried about Yes, yeah, of course, well I want to We have to pay some bills here, because that's how it goes. So I wanted to take a really quick break. But on the other side of this break, I want to ask you all about the industry itself, because you said that you don't feel safe in the industry, and there have certainly been you alluded to, you know, moguls who have been in the cross hairs of late. So I want to talk about that. Get her on the other side of the string. Okay, y'all already know the streets are talking, talking, talking, all right.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: So before we went to break, we were talking about feeling unsafe in this industry. You you know, alluded to executives saying, oh have you considered this or that now? And I'm sure this has been going on forever, but now there is actual documented harm happening to young women in particular in this industry, and I don't think we can have this conversation without talking about R. Kelly, and R Kelly has been tried and convicted and so some of the accusations against him, it was a lot of young girls being left in his care, so to speak, most famously Aliyah, who has signed an NDA. And I will be honest with you. I remember watching our because as a society we watched it, so we have the whole now. We saw this grown man with this teenager, and I was Aliah and I were close in age. I may have been like a couple of years older than her, but I remember seeing them and thinking, yeah, guys, okay, he understands her. They're like best friends. Like I totally get it. She's mature like me. I was not with her, and that was not normal, nothing normal about it. And I just wonder what that type of predatory behavior looks like now.
Speaker 2: And you said that you don't feel safe, So what are we not seeing?
Speaker 4: I guess more personally with my experience, it is me trying to just simply work on music and just sexual advances being made. So whether it's just like I'm working with a producer and it is like a fill up or something like that, or it's you know, the premise of the conversation before working together is like, Oh, you're really talented, I really want to.
Speaker 2: Work with you.
Speaker 4: And then you go to the session to work and it's a lot of flirtation and a lot of like just sexual advances, and it's it's weird. It's extremely weird because it's like why you should want to I don't know if this is like your passion or you feel like your purpose in life, Like focus on the goal and don't make me feel uncomfortable and also give me the opportunity to choose what I want to do.
Speaker 2: So I think I moved here.
Speaker 4: I moved to Atlanta when I was eighteen, and I probably started doing music here maybe around nineteen twenty, and it's it had been that maybe the first maybe four years, Like I just kept running into men that were that worked in these spaces that I couldn't trust and I won't just like label producers as the predatory ones.
Speaker 2: It's also like photographers and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: And there are lists that go out on social media of like people that you should just stay away from. Wow wow, Yeah, people make like whole social media accounts geared to just protect women in these spaces because it's I mean, this is a creative like town. Yeah like this, this is where people come to do art and to amplify what they're doing. So yeah, but it happened so much, so they have to make these spaces, yeah and keep the conversation going.
Speaker 2: Well, you didn't have that bull.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean you didn't have the protection. Oh no, we didn't have the protection. We did not have the list on social media.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's been a very toxic, awful, terrible place. When you talk about r Kelly and Aliah Elias, my little sister from Detroit. You know, when she was here, we definitely had a great relationship, and to your point, a lot of us turned a blind eye because you're just taught. Unlike now, it's what goes on. You need to take it or leave it, you know what I mean? And not let me let me say this. We weren't aware of how far things were going with r Kelly and Aliah, but everybody had heard that they were married and she was only so you know, allegedly. I don't know, was there a mariage certificate? Yeah, we'll fact check that, but I'm and it's terrible because you grow to you know, you grow to have the industry love for these people, right because every time I've ever met Robert he was nothing but polite. I thought he was a musical genius. I remember sitting in the studio with him, having him play a record that was so phenomenal, it was like the South African choir. I was just like, what can't you do? Everybody here is I believe I can fly? And you're like, oh my god. And you don't know that he's been enabled by a lot of people in this industry to have really destructive, toxic behavior towards young women. And what's sad is that people get away with being enablers. People get away with booking flights and setting up studio sessions and even sending their children to the presidor, and we don't address those issues, which are often more important to address than the actual predator himself, because you know, he can't do it alone, and those people are still here to do it for whomever else is willing.
Speaker 1: I'll say something controversial. I think two things can be true. I think R Kelly is a musical genius. I think the things that he did in music. When he was doing the music with the Isley Brothers, I'm like, this man put a soap opera music, you know, literally a soap opera so music. I thought that was very innovative. I also think R Kelly is a sexual predator editor. I also think R Kelly is a victim of sexual abuse. I think all those things can be true. The whole campaign to mute R Kelly. I do find that interesting because if we start looking at the personal lives of some.
Speaker 2: Of our favorite artists, we're gonna right.
Speaker 1: I wonder where that lies, right, I wonder like, does an artist's personal life matter? Should it impact how we view their music or if we listen to their.
Speaker 3: Music again, that's where you get into artist's development and holding these executives that give these people deals responsible. You cannot tell me that the first that anybody's ever heard of what our Kelly was doing was when we all heard of it in the news.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you can't get to it's like, you know, you look at all these these shows where they got to get to the Queen.
Speaker 1: Bee or you know what I'm saying, gets to the high. Get about these minions get to the high, then it will all stop. That is what this industry has become. It has become a place where we have to name the problem in a much bigger way because now it's gone from r Kelly to the next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what we heard about yees?
Speaker 1: Okay, well let's talk about that. So a lady, Yes, Diddy has been accused by Chassie, an next girlfriend whom he dated for ten years on and off, and the New York Times I think this is in December, I can't remember, but months ago dropped an expose, if you will, about what she allegedly endured with Diddy. Things have since escalated. I can't remember what agency, Maybe the FBI. They raided his LA Homeland Security raided his homes in Los Angeles and Miami. By the time it airs, we don't know where this story will be. I do want to make it clear he as a the time of this recording, has not been charged with anything, and so we don't know what happened.
Speaker 2: However, some of the accusations that have come out about him and how he was treating women around him are quite disturbing and also quite consistent with some of the nightmare stories that we're hearing about this industry.
Speaker 1: I just wonder is there a safe way to enter this industry and still be in community with powerful men.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not no, no, not at all. I mean, what's the solution.
Speaker 1: More women need to be mobile than perhaps, sure, but I mean women are capable of these things too. Really, give me an example, what do you mean women?
Speaker 4: I mean women can be predators too, right, Like it's not if it's like sexual predators.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be sexual.
Speaker 4: I mean I guess that's like creating Yes, yes, because I mean the start of R.
Speaker 2: Kelly's story is his sister. Yeah, him, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I'm not going to say it's just a man thing that we are focusing on two men and for sure, but yeah, no, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's I don't know, it's just become extremely dangerous.
Speaker 4: And I think one of the conversations that I have with my sister kind of surrounding this topic is like, anybody with money has power, which means they have access. And sometimes having too much access means you kind of fall into this idea of like I can do and get whatever I want. And it might start small, and like I don't really have an example, but it could start you know, fairly small, but then it becomes an itch that you can't really scratch. So that small thing then becomes bigger and bigger, and then it spins out of control. So whatever the start of R. Kelly's story was in him becoming a predator, it started small. And if he had maybe if people were holding him accountable and saw those things and called it out, and maybe it wouldn't have spun this huge web and impacted so many lives. And even with the ditty situation, you know.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting that it's like sex, drugs and rock and roll right, like this are the prevalent things, yeah, in our spaces.
Speaker 2: And I just wonder, like, what is the way to produce great music?
Speaker 1: You know, offer consumers great art, be paid a fair wage, fairly considered for, to be honored for your work at award shows, and to manage to do this without you know, having the foul bankruptcy or be raped or assaulting, you know, like is that possible?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it goes back to what you said about You're absolutely right. Women are also can also be predators. But what I found is, and Chanty and I were just talking about this, if there were more women in positions of power. Now we got to understand what power is the ability to say this does not go to air, this is not going to We're not going to play this on the radio. And I hate to put on my auntie hat, but I have to say. A woman by the name of c Delores Tucker warned us about Kelly and.
Speaker 2: Diddy and hip hop and pop and they made a song I Wonder why they call you bitch? Yeah, and dedicated. You know, you understand what I'm saying. And it wasn't Jesse de Lord Tucker, Delora Tucker.
Speaker 3: It was the mother's of the civil rights movement, Dione Warld with Melbourne Moore, a bunch of women who because there the reality is there are far more men who engage in these activities and women, and typically women are going to have this. You know, let's really talk about whether or not this is what you want to do. Let's talk about whether or not this lyric is gonna fly. So once you've allowed those lyrics to penetrate our audience, like we talked about Saturday cleaning the trip music, once you've been caught so many times, once you've been caught a wholesome once it has been normalized, right, and we have shown them that we enjoyed dancing to music that basically destroys our communities every single day. They're like, all we're doing is capitalizing, monetizing off of what you guys were telling us that you enjoyed.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I danced around with Luke Skttwalker.
Speaker 3: But we get to the beat and if the lyrics were different in the same.
Speaker 1: Cadence, Yeah, yeah, Well, I mean there were there were songs that I dnsu that I like that I knew the lyrics.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Luke was definitely one of those. I mean in Atlanta, like bass music was the thing that's it. But I can't lie Like when Low Down Camp, I was definitely out there like wow, I don't know. But I do want to address what you said about Ceve the Lauras Sucker, because this was a big deal when this happened, and I think a lot of black men felt attacked and the same way that women were feeling attacked. But black men felt attacked because they were producing music reflective of their environment.
Speaker 2: And that's another thing. It was more authentic thing.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like this commercial lives hip hop lest invent this poverty story.
Speaker 2: You know, you weren't ever poor.
Speaker 1: These guys were like from the hood and they were saying, this is what we deal with. And they were, you know, calling women bitches and hoes and in their mind like they weren't around seed the Lauris Tucker's you know.
Speaker 3: The police and they say, no, no, no, you can't do that, right but right but never no, no, no, you can't call a woman a bit.
Speaker 1: So that I agree with because to me, then the challenge is it is a white run industry where the power rests solely in the hands of white people who don't have a problem with you know, when fuck the Police came out, it was an anthem, it was a rallying cry. It wasn't about a beat. It was about survival. It was about sheer survival. And what happened to NWA moments was where they recorded that song, they were assaulted by police officers. So you kind of got it, and I do. I just want to make this point because I don't want black men to feel attacked. Here, brothers, we're not attacking. But I do want to make the point that when you were going through that and you were being oppressed by you know, this system, and by white male faces who are part of this system. And then you had this group of black women come out and saying, shame on y'all for doing that. I can imagine that hurt. You know.
Speaker 2: There's some that.
Speaker 3: Hurts when you are outside after the street lights come on and your auntie tells you or your grandma tells you, could you hurt?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I am maybe as hard as it is for black men to accept the criticism from the old aunties telling them how they should be at the end of the day, most of them after they became moguls, they didn't have that mentality once they grew up and they realized, you know what, Auntie the Lords and Auntie Dion were actually right right. So that goes to it basically touches on a bigger issue in our community, which is the respect that we have for our elders and the people who came before us, and the people who are saying this because they see what you don't in your seventeen eighteen year old testop throne driven mind sees. But these folks are going to allow you to say whatever you want to say and do whatever you want to do because they can monetize it. And the fact is, I don't think what she was trying to do is to say, don't speak from your lived experiences. I think what she was trying to do is say, number one is not going to age. Well, number two, can we make sure that young kids who are not out here at the level that you are, there's a parental advisory sticker or whatever the case may be, and holding the companies accountable, putting some of the bonus on me, these executives and these labels that are making millions and millions of dollars out of what we now have off of what we now see is the destruction of our community. Whether they felt attacked or not, is they were absolutely correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't agree with it at the time. Yeah, I was thinking what to call you?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh god, well, did we disrespect these women who were really trying to prevent us from being where we are today? Yeah, So I'd like to know what Tray thinks about. Was c Delora Tucker was talking about?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like to know what I mean. Look at Tupac and Piggy think about it. They were younger than you, and yeah.
Speaker 1: Well you know this is we're talking about hip hop and the bull of time we've been I'm sorry because they the two I think converged. You know, the confluence of hip hop and R and B really happened with incidentally, Diddy. When Diddy put out Mary, it was a very hip hop beat Diddy and I Andre was you know, they ran bad way together. And that's when these two very different styles of music married, and they where they remain today. I don't know, they have to be married and unhappy. They are merged today. And so you have like rap singing and you have pure R and B with a rap lyric on it. You know, it might be a Kendrick Lamargert on an R and B song. So I do appreciate the consolence of these styles of music, but some of that, like rugged edge hip hop, uh kind of infiltrated R and B for sure, Like ballads went away and it was more direct and like the poetry of it. The allegory of R and B went away and it was more like you know, but wid oh before you know, and it was just it just became a different industry. But again, audience, if y'all know, people like what are you okay?
Speaker 2: Death row? I mean I love Dre.
Speaker 3: I think he's genius. But death Row, bad Boy, Murder, inc. Like you know what I'm saying, how do we justify?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was like that's true. It was all very it was. It was and like you listen to Biggie Lyrics and Biggie and Pop are my favorites, Like Pot was my brother, you know, but this ship is crazy when you really think about it, and what they're doing is ready to die, you know, such and such a you know, we're out here repeating these mantras. And I'm just the person who believes that you summon that energy to you in our community.
Speaker 2: I would say, like Biggie, he listen. I remember listening to Biggie having to look up in the dictionary.
Speaker 1: He was a lyrics, Pot was a poet, a visionary.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was an activist.
Speaker 1: He was so many things in his language was was wrapped in vulgarity, you know, and I just thought that was okay. I think now with R and B and hip hop, you know, kind of combining forces there are I have not anyway heard a lot of songs of activism, like I remember Brenda's Got a Baby, which was you know that hook was very r and dear Mama, Dear Mama very much. And then you know, Jodices started performing with like hip hop artists and now it's like that happens all the time. It's not even a big deal. And I remember just thinking, like, where are the songs that are speaking to an issue? You know, because you can do that in R and B two like marmon gay, what's going on? You know, wake up Everybody? Like all these songs that were kind of messic songs, I don't see them. But perhaps our new young artist, like.
Speaker 3: Everything has to be like so super inspirational. Love in and of itself is like I'm sorry, it's.
Speaker 2: Absolutely yeah, you might have a whole catalog. No, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm over here, Like while you're speaking, I'm like, who can I think of that has made like maybe a motivational song?
Speaker 2: And I think the song that came to mind was like rise.
Speaker 1: Up, but yes, that's a good one. Yeah years, I don't know, but yeah, yeah, Well but I'm sitting here. I don't mean to impose, because I'm sure people impose on you all all the time, But would you all like to hear me sing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I'd like to hear you off. You did not want to hear me.
Speaker 1: I cannot carry you tune if it was waitless, okay, to be polite, bright eyes got a thing. So yeah, she says to the young lady, that's one of your original songs.
Speaker 2: I was hearing.
Speaker 4: I want to see like what because I'm writing like music. I want to lord, you put me on the spot.
Speaker 1: I might forget my lyrics that I've seen the song that you know the best. You don't have seen the whole song, just a stanza of one song. We can't pay for a concert.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll just do something that like I kind of wrote to like inspire myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you want me to sing backup? Are you yourself? Well you say you didn't want to.
Speaker 2: Say, I don't. I don't want to mess up.
Speaker 5: Okay you os yeah you oh yeah yeah you are us yeah yeah you oh yeah you oh yeah you you o rus.
Speaker 6: Yeah you love a chim You need attention. But not from them is not the answer. It's not the truth. Study luck and bone. It's nothing from you. I love his actions. We feel it's truth.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 6: The interesting interest is you buddies instident buddies in consistent steady, gotcha, Chip, I'm like messing.
Speaker 1: You are see that's beautiful. It was amazing Beau track and all this. It was very beautiful and singing. I was singing Lauren, Lauren h.
Speaker 3: Like and girl like she blessed us and we yes, yeah, that's you see what happened there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing is other cultures don't have to do it. The other folks don't have to sing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I still don't quite know what happened with Lauren Hill, but I know it's some trauma that she was overcoming with a lot in the industry and industry full of men. Yeah, yeah, speaking of what would you like to sing for.
Speaker 3: Us today with just a few bars with the old face?
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know this, but I'm starting. It's a question that was me.
Speaker 7: I'm not looking for all the bad based on true not just Dick moltiping. You will not hurt my pride if not you.
Speaker 1: That you Yeah, okay, I was. I was mouthing while you were singing along, and we dubbed that voice over you look like I was singing. Yeah, that song still takes me right back. So like artists development, Yes, I honestly, if I could sing, I would sing all. I would have sung the whole interview if I could sing. So I know what it's like when people are constantly asking you to share your gifts. I want to thank you both sharing your gift, not just your beautiful voices, you songbirds, but just your gift of wisdom. Thank you, and your gift of hope about where music is going. I feel inspired. I look forward to hearing about new artists and all the people that the viewers are going to tell us. And so it's been just a pleasures, so honored to me in your community, so loved and admired. Really necessary conversation, so important conversation.
Speaker 2: What was the name of the song you did, Well, it's not out.
Speaker 1: Also the music that came to you, Well, when you put that music out there, we were your debut audience and we love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So for the people who just heard you belt out that beautiful too, where can we find you?
Speaker 2: How do we get your music? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So I'm on all like music platforms, so Spotify, Apple Music, anything like that. My latest project is called Oasis. It's a three part project. Nine songs, so I mean nine minutes is like very very very short, but a but a good dose and experience and then you can follow me on social media at Simmy Somaya. That's s I am am I E, s I am A like, I love it beautiful.
Speaker 2: And are you Are you in the studio these days?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, yes we are. The song I just sang If You Love Me turns thirty October twenty one, thirty Oh my god, and then our album turns thirty January ten.
Speaker 2: That song is older than you. Yes it is, Yes, it is, Yes it is.
Speaker 3: So we're excited about releasing a new thirty year version of our album from the bottom of thirty years ago and Brown's official everywhere we're on the road.
Speaker 2: Okay, excited. We have a show with y'ls this summer and I come to the South. I love it. Now you're saying that the thirty year edition of this song is going to be out, but we're covering remaking Okay, let's swifting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our first album which came out January tenth, nineteen ninety five. So January ten, twenty twenty five, we're releasing a new record, okay, and the single we're releasing an advance of the record.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do an old school thing put a single.
Speaker 1: Out, yeah, the album octob Now, how should we get that because.
Speaker 3: I would also dot com Okay, streaming it on a streaming platform, okay, worst media, women in reality, film, music and media. I love w I R S media.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the best place to get it. That is supporting the artists and okay, all right, we will that, we might put out a record, we might throw.
Speaker 2: Back your album somewhere just for people to have. Yeah, yeah, I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm excited about this. You all give me hope about where R and B is going. I look forward to hearing about new artists from our audience. And uh, we just really appreciate you guys.
Speaker 2: To RB is not dead. It's gonna save music. Oh I love that. And we're gonna save because I love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well this has been a great conversation. I think so much, so much. We'll have to have this conversation again. I think it might have to be one on hip hop exactly that we might have be a part of this. All right, Well, thank you guys. I know you probably have a lot of thoughts, so please be sure to rate and review across generations. Let us know what you thought about this episode and what you think about the series in particular. Also, I'm a crazy neurotic person I read all your comments, so drop us a comment. If you're watching this on YouTube, be nice and let us know what you think about the show and just weigh in with some new artists who we should check out on Instagram, YouTube, wherever you catch us and we will see you next time on the next episode of A Cross Generation. Across Generations is brought to you by Will Packer and will Packer Media in partnership with iHeart Podcast I'm Your Host and executive producer Tiffany d Cross from Idea to Launch Productions Executive producer Carla Willmerit. Produced by Mandy Be and Angel Forte, editing, sound design and mixed by Gaza Forte. Original music by Epidemic Sound Video editing by Kathon Alexander and Courtney Dan