Speaker 1: A media Hey everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Welcome to it could happen here, the podcast that tells you what's going to happen before it's happening. I'm Garrison Davis. Joined with me is Mia Wong Glue. So today we're going to be talking about predictive programming, something that I assume some conspiracy theorist has accused of the show of doing, specifically Robert, but we're not going to talk about us too much. Instead, we're going to talk about the origin of this conspiracy theory and some famous use cases throughout history of how you might have been affected by predictive programming. Listener, So let's start by defining our terms here. Predictive programming is a conspiracy theory that future events are seeded within fictional media like film, TV, video games, and books to subliminally influence the public perception of real world events. But this isn't simply about movies like just predicting the future. It's an intentional method of large scale social conditioning used by a conspiracy of deep state government agents and the entertainment industry. This term was coined by a conspiracy theorist named Alan Watt. Different from the like pop Zen writer Alan Watts. Different guy, just a one letter difference. I'm sure they share some amount of audience crossover, but they are different people. He kind of coined this concept around the early two thousands. From what I can tell, he's a Scottish Canadian conspiracy theorist. Oddly enough, he's kind of one of the least problematic conspiracy theorists that I've run into. Like he's he's openly pushed back on on like anti semitism from David Ike and Alex Jones, Like he just seems to kind of be a silly guy. He died a few years ago. From what I can tell, at least on like a cursory search, He's like not the most problematic, I mean, obviously still a conspiracy theorist, but like kind of like the token good conspiracy theorist. I don't know, but he defined predictive programming as the power of suggestion using the media of fiction to create a desired outcome. A more expansive definition that he gave is quote, predictive programming is a subtle form of psychological conditioning provided by the media to acquaint the public with planned societal changes to implemented by the elites. If and when these changes are put through, the public will already be familiarized with them and will accept them as natural progressions, thus lessening any possible public resistance and commotion. Predictive programming, therefore, may be considered a veiled form of preemptive mass manipulation or mind control courtesy of our puppet masters. So that's Alan Watt, that is, that is his definition. Like I said, he kind of came up with this idea in the early two thousands and it spread like wildfire throughout his competitors and his contemporaries in the conspiratorial milieu.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really recent. I thought I thought it was older than that. Yeah, No, it is a new one.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It is a relatively new conspiracy theory, like it doesn't. It doesn't go all the way back to like, well, some of like the rough ideas were kind of used by stuff, you know, going all the way back to the John Birch Society, But the actual term predictive programming and the modern understanding of that term are much more recent. An Ohio State University article on the topic said, quote, predictive programming, at its core is a tactic to reduce resistance by introducing concepts that seem far fetched and continuously reintroducing them to make these concepts appear more likely or at the very least acceptable. So that's more of like an outside in definition from from researchers. So let's let's go back to Alan Watch a little bit, because he's kind of been largely forgotten in the conspiratorial milieu, replaced by a whole bunch of more like bombastic and and troubling figures like Jones and Ike and many many smaller, smaller conspiracy theorists. But I listened to what I believe to be the first kind of broadcast where where he coined this idea. As opposed to Alex Jones, Alan Watt is like a very like calm speaker, like he's he's actually kind of just like pleasant to listen to because he's just so like like calm, methodical. He's not like bombastic. He just sounds like a regular, like chill guy. His his website is amazing. It looks like a nineteen ninety five website that has never been updated. It is, it is fantastic. I love that the website has stayed up after his death because it is just a joy to look at. But Alan Watt describes predictive programming as a quote unk quote ancient science. He thought that quote families of actors go back thousands of years. They're a specialized section of society that inter marries within their own ranks unquote. So like he thinks all actors come from like this one large like intergenerational family that have been that have been like in the profession of acting, which like is kind of true for like the Coppolas, but like, eh, you know, it's like, yes, there is a massive like inepotism problem, but like no, yeah, actors aren't like a single family that goes back like millennia. But that is that that is one of his beliefs he calls he calls producers magicians quote. They know what messages must be imprinted into the minds of the audience. They know the techniques, a perfect science unquote. He also talks about how Shakespeare was involved in predictive programming. Quote Shakespeare was the magician that brought the English language into being quote. So that like Shakespeare is like the person who developed like the modern the modern English language. Like obviously English like pre dates Shakespeare, but like he thinks that through Shakespeare's writing he was able to like popularize the modern form of English, which just isn't true, but it's a it's a it's a funny thing to believe. And he thinks all these people are like literal magicians, like like wizards, like you know, like like wands, pointy hats, Like they're all like doing actual like magic.
Speaker 3: This seems like such a roundabout way of doing this, Like you can just absolutely magic. So so true, so true via.
Speaker 2: So Alan Watt talks about that in the late sixties there was a big, weeks long international meeting to decide that Hollywood would be the place to create the culture of the future. He then discusses how like Hollywood controls people through like war movies, and how like the DoD helps Hollywood with equipment for war movies, but they have to approve the messaging, which like that has like a little grain of truth in there. Like yes, to use military equipment, you do need to get like approval from people in the government. And yeah, there is a form of Hollywood that is like just war propaganda. Like that, there's a kernel of truth here, but not exactly in the way Alan Watt talks about it. Do you know what else has a kernel of truth all of these ads? There's one single kernel in all of these ads that is revealing a divine truth of existence. So watch out and listen for this one kernel of truth. Okay, we are back to talk about Alan Watt and his predictive programming idea which has spread through the conspiratorial milieu like wildfire. So probably the funniest thing he gets to on this whole Hollywood as magician's rant is quote, if you look at the word Hollywood, it means holy wood, which of course is the staff of the Magi, the grand magas of the occult. He waives a wand and everything is changed. He casts a spell. So from so he thinks that Hollywood literally refers to like a magic wand like a holy a holy wood. He then he then also talks about Hollywood as like as like a grove, like like Hollywood, like the place is is is a grove quote similar to Jewish holy groves and folklore Moses's staff was placed in a grove and that was a special place for higher magi to meet unquote. And I don't think he means this anti semitically. It just kind of sounds anti Semitic, but he talks about and anyway, you can't even blame the us of this on those guys Canadian Scottish Canadian. Yeah, yeah, literally me, literally me. I'll read one more Alan Watt quote here, which is just a banger. Hollywood is the magician's wand holy Holly, which has been used to cast a spell on the unsuspecting public. Things or ideas that would otherwise be seen as bizarre, vulgar, undesirable, or impossible are inserted into films in the realm of fantasy. When the viewer watches these films, his or her mind is left open to suggestion and the conditioning process begins. These same movies, which are designed to program the average person, can give the discerning viewer a better understanding of the workings and the plan of the world agenda unquote. So unlike a lot of modern conspiracy theorists who like refuse to watch movies because of predicting programming, Alan Watt thinks it's actually useful to watch movies because you can get like a future like glimpse of what is going to happen in the world, which is like a neat little difference compared to some of his modern contemporaries.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can.
Speaker 6: You can watch Batman realize and occupy wall streets happening, yes, one year ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: It's predictive programming in the past, in the past, Yeah, yeah, preemptive. So let's talk about some examples of predictive programming. Now, one thing that people often point to when discussing this is the television show The Simpsons.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: A writer and producer of The Simpsons from back in the nineties, Bill Oakley gave a statement to Reuters a few years ago about the concept of The Simpsons being able.
Speaker 3: To predict real world events. Quote. I would say, in general, when people.
Speaker 2: Say the Simpsons has predicted something, it's that we were really just satirizing real life events. From years before, and because history keeps repeating itself, it just seems like we're predicting things unquote, which I think is actually a really great observation. The show actually hasn't made very many predictions. It is often just satirizing actual events from around the time of the show's production, and lots of those events we've just now forgotten in the present, and similar events keep happening in the present, like viruses or Donald Trump running for president just like he did in the two thousands, So it's easy to kind of see these things as predictions when in fact we've just forgotten the events that they were originally satirizing. Now, many of the kind of viral quote unquote predictions you see online associated with The Simpsons actually just have a vastly different context within the show, and in many cases are actually just altered images fan art, photoshops or memes with mislabeled timestamps, or genuine images satirizing current events, making it appear as if the Simpsons version happened beforehand, when really it was like something satirizing an event a month ago, made to look like it was actually produced in like two thousand and seven or something, Right, so it's just a whole bunch of manipulated media. One instance of something that appears to bessive prediction but is actually just showing how the creators of the show pay attention to politics is the purple suit that President Lisa wears, bearing similarity to Kamala Harris's get up on an inauguration day, but purple was also worn by Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton during previous inauguration days. It's the color of the saffagette movement, and it tends to symbolize unity between red and blue states. It's it's a very common thing that women wear at inauguration day, so like it's just a good guess. So there's a lot of stuff like that. Now, probably the most famous example of the Simpsons predictive power is probably the nine to eleven poster from the New York episode. Now, there is a wealth of eerie nine to eleven imagery from years before the attack, either associated with the date itself, destruction of the Twin Towers, or, in the case of the Simpsons, both Now, as for the others, nine to one one is just a common number in the US. So you see a pop up in a lot of Stuff, and the Twin Towers, as well as the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State, and the Chrysler Building are all often used in like host apocalyptic or like societal collapse destructive artwork. Of course, there was the bombing at the World Trade Center like a decade prior, and it's really easy now just to focus on instances of art depicting the Twin Towers.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: We have Michael Keaton's The Squeeze from nineteen eighty seven, Cookie Monster eating the Twin Towers in nineteen seventy six, the Towers disintegrating in the nineteen ninety three Mario movie, The Infamous Illuminati card game, the Coup's Party music album cover, and my personal favorite instance the pilot episode of the X Files A spin off show, The Lone Gunmen, in which members of the US government Deep State remotely hijack a commercial airliner to crash it into the World Trade Center to blame it on terrorists and start a new war in the Middle East. This episode aired six months before nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: It is the funniest thing. It's wild.
Speaker 2: It's like specifically being like an X Files a spinoff, It's it's just gold hilarious stuff and obviously for another predictive programming type thing. In the wake of COVID nineteen, many have pointed out that movies like Contagion or even zombie media are instances of predictive programming to get the public to accept a massive global pandemic, when in most cases it's actually just like scientists being like, hey, a pandemic could probably be a big problem, and then screenwriters being like, oh, let's write a movie about a pandemic, right, very very easy. Do you know what else contains very important subliminal messaging? Maya cars two, Well, the products and services that support this podcast. Listen to these to get a glimpse into the future. All right, we are back and we are joined by Robert Evans to give his thoughts on the predictive power of the Simpsons.
Speaker 1: Hello Robert, Hey, you know Garrison. Once upon a time, I watched a Simpsons episode where homewer Is sides not to go to church instead to stay asleep on Sunday all day, and that really kind of predicted me sleeping in this morning after getting in on a late night flight last night and missing the start of this recording. So the power of predictive programming simply cannot be denied. Because there's a scene in that where Homer closes his eyes and curls his toes and pulls his covers up over himself when he's avoiding church. That really predicted me at about eleven am this morning.
Speaker 3: Well that's great. Do you know who else is good at predictive programming? Batman?
Speaker 2: Okay, so we've already talked a little bit about some of the predictive programming conspiracies based on The Dark Knight Rises in the first segment of our Occupy Gotham City episode. You know how the Aurora, Colorado shooter was a modern MK Ultra victim program to distract from the software leaks that'll expose the corrupt elites because his father worked on predictive algorithms for the financial sector, just like the plot of The Dark Knight Rises. It's not the plot of The Darkness, not at all. But let's not forget that the movie also conditioned us to accept a major attack on a big sporting event, something which has also not really happened. So I'll actually be seeing Clyde Lewis again next week, so I will I will try to get his thoughts on his Dark Knight Rises failed predictions. We'll see, we'll see how We'll see how that goes for me. But those are not the only conspiracy theories around this movie. For the next one, we will turn to the King of the Lizard People, David Ike.
Speaker 1: Ah, there we go.
Speaker 2: He claims that when the GCPD are trying to track down the location of Bain's nuclear reactor, there's a shot of a map on which there's a location marked as Sandy Hook. And you'll never guess what happened after The Dark Knight came out.
Speaker 4: God, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: So then.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Now I've looked into this a decent bit, because yes, there is there is a location on the map of Gotham City marked Sandy Hook. Now this is probably named after Sandy Hook, New Jersey, just south of New York City, as on the Batman map, it is an island that is just south of Gotham City. In the comics, it's called Tri Corner Island. For the specific map of Gotham they used is from like the nineteen nineties, and it's called Tri Corner Island. I think they renamed it to Sandy Hook in the Dark Knight rises, So a similar map in the movie was used for marketing materials that labeled Sandy Hook as a neighborhood in Gotham, and this map also contained a neighborhood called the Narrows, a common Gotham borough in Batman lore. The Sandy Hook shooting this led schools in Narrows, Virginia to delay their reternive students for winter break to install additional security precautions. And this was all based on a conspiracy article titled is Narrows the site of the next school massacred?
Speaker 8: Just?
Speaker 3: Of course it wasn't.
Speaker 1: But clear, folks, there are Sandy Hooks towns named Sandy Hooks in Connecticut, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, and Missouri, Virginia, Wisconsin. Like it's it's there's a lot of them. We've made a lot of them. There's a lot of places that are sandy and look like a hook.
Speaker 3: And then the secondary problem with this is that we have school shootings in so many places that if you just have a map in any movie, there's like a one in twelve chance that there's going to be a shooting there. Now, so great, great society we've built.
Speaker 1: I do kind of wonder, is this something that we've like inoculated ourselves against by having so many school shootings, like because you could never Sandy Hook got so much attention because like we didn't have as many shootings back then, and it was so terrible, and like maybe now we move on to because it's like you're talking about elements of this, but like people obsessed are still obsessed over the Sandy Hook shooting today in a way that like I don't think most mass shooting victims have to deal with, like it becoming the center of this national mania campaign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And many pointed out that this this Batman conspiracy theory is kind of incongruent with other Sandy Hook conspiracy theories, being like it's supposed to be a big shocking incident to get people to start to start like wanting gun control versus why would they try to warn us about it, about it happening if it was, if the point of it is to be shocking, like it doesn't quite make sense as most conspiracy theories do. But David Ike said, quote the dark Knight rises is classic Saturn symbolism, and Satanists worship Saturn, So there you go. Now, Curiously, do you know who else lives in Sandy Hook? Suzanne Collins, the author of The Hunger Games, which leads us to our next topic, the Hunger Games. I found this amazing blog called Through Ancient Eyes by this British guy named Neil, who's obsessed with the occult and is like a David Ike fanboy.
Speaker 3: This this blog is glorious.
Speaker 2: So I will I'll start by bye by reading the opening opening paragraph from this blog quote. Don't think for a minute that the script for the Hunger Games books is purely fiction. Here we have predictive programming at its finest. What I saw was the second part of a three part narrative that clearly plans ideas of acceptance, sacrifice, and revolution in the minds of youth. The books are awash with symbols and archetypes that seem to be classic programming devices, and more alarmingly, the books seem to project a very viable future for not only America but for the world.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, he's not entirely wrong. Because of all of the pieces of revolutionary literature and nonfiction of that have come out during our lifetimes, the Hunger Games has inspired a lot more revolutions.
Speaker 3: That's why this one is so fun.
Speaker 2: It's because, no, like twenty twenty was like a not insignificant part of twenty twenty was due to a whole bunch of kids growing up with The Hunger Games.
Speaker 1: No, no, I know people who are still fighting in the jungle. So in part because of.
Speaker 2: That book, Yes, exactly, So we will get into that in a bit.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: Neil believes that the country of PanAm is quote clearly a reference to both Arcadia and the Greek god Pan unquote.
Speaker 1: It's an author who was up late at night looking for country names and remember it in an old airline, like that's what was going on.
Speaker 2: The region of Arcadia was home to pan and characterized by a vast wilderness with its lavish parties for the god of the wild and his nymphs.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: The Hunger Game's capital is an urban forest of the gods. In its classic symbolic reversal of the true meaning, it becomes a city dedicated to all that would be the opposite of true freedom unquote. Now Neil loves symbolic reversal. How you will see something depicted that is like, you know, like being against tutalitarian governments. This is actually symbolic reversal where it's actually pro authoritarian governments, because this is this is how he talks about the entire the entirety of of the movie and how it's actually trying to like seed acceptance for a one world order, a military police estate. Similar to David Ike, Neil also notes the Saturnian symbolism, with the goat imagery of the astral signed Capricorn linking to pan as well as the composite representation of the devil image Baphomet. Now I am I am not a planetary magic guy in general, but Saturn is often like linked to like the harvest, to destruction, chaos, it's, it's, it's a whole thing. But Neil says, quote both Capricorn and Aquarius are ruled by Saturn and it's hidden vibrationality effect on the powers that be banking, law, education. Therefore, PanAm is the ultimate Saturn city of the future. PanAm is very much the typical totalitarian future Nazia Lake City. It is also where that links to pandemonium in the form of a pandemic is the hunger games, preparing the youth of today for some kind of tyrannical future born out of the events of the next decade that will lead to global pandemonium, which is unfortunately a pretty good prediction coming from like, coming from like the early twenty tens. Yeah, they kind of were talking about a pandemic that leads to global unrest, repelling against a tyrannical future. So pretty good analysis by Neil there.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 2: Neil also notes, you know, curious linkages between the segregated twelve districts of PanAm, just as our perception of time is governed by twelve hours and months.
Speaker 10: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: He breaks down PanAm even further, claiming that the letter E and the letter M or like numerology references the E linking to the Intel and Saturn like explorer logos, and Neil says, quote, according to some researchers, which is a great way to start a sentence. According to some researchers, the letter E is a very important letter number because it represents the fifth essence or element, the power of transcendence.
Speaker 3: No, we did, as the Jermatria starnage.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely absolutely. He goes all out on the letter M. The letter m's a very important letter in the mystery schools of antiquity, uh huh, being the numerology equivalent of thirteen. This of course relates to the thirteen original districts or the twelve secretors around the one capital. Oh yeah sure, there are of course twelve jurors and one judge. The m or the thirteenth letter is the master with twelve disciples, and esoterically speaking, thirteen is the experiencer of the twelve signs of the zodiac. There are twelve months in the Gregorian sun calendar and thirteen months in the lunar calendar. There were thirteen districts, but now only twelve remain. There's there were thirteen colonies. The US is Satanism, So true, so true.
Speaker 3: Mia.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of talk about how like kids can't read anymore because how we fucked up like reading education, you know, around like the early aughts and shit, and like some the damage that that's done. But this is showing that, Like you've got a bunch of boomers who are going through these books, who are reading them very carefully, who are googling every word in them to see if there's different things. Yeah, and they catch all of this, like put all this weird maniaction together. But they don't just get that, Like, yeah, if you tell kids a simple story about another young person overthrowing a tyrannical government, maybe they'll burn down their capital building. Absolutely, it's happened before, and it'll happen again.
Speaker 2: Neil gets obsessed with all these little, tiny, tiny rabbit holes that are ultimately meaningless and like misses the very glaring, obvious thing right before his eyes. He says, numbers and letters are vibrational codes that affect the subconscious. The more I look at Saturn symbolism, the more I see a thought form, waveform or a vibrational pattern that permeates the collective thinking of humanity.
Speaker 1: Now you miss the obvious and more like there's all this obsession with like numerology, and it's like, well no. A big part of why the Hunger Games caught on to people and was like so easy to like meme and spread as part of these revolutionary actions is they had like a thing, a hand thing that you did. They had a little salute and like kids could do it to each other.
Speaker 3: It's the shit. It was not a fan of the salute. By the way.
Speaker 1: Well that's good. I'm sure he's got some fascinating opinions on that shit.
Speaker 2: Oh, he sure does, and we will hear his extremely fascinating opinions on the three finger Salute as well as other Hunger Games conspiracies and new upcoming predictive programming conspiracies based around the Civil War movie in the next episode. So stay tuned tomorrow for even more exciting news on how you can predict the future by watching movies. See you tomorrow, Welcome back to it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis. I'm joined by Mia and Robert to discuss predictive programming. So last episode we talked about the origin of this conspiracy theory, how this Canadian Scottish conspiracy theorist named Alan Watt came up with this idea that through Hollywood movies, TV books, video games, the secret couple of shadowy governments is trying to subliminally prepare us to accept planned events as they take place in the future by putting little hints, shadows, and seeds into our everyday entertainment diet. One of the oldest examples that conspiracy theorists will point to you as an example of predictive programming is this book from the late eighteen hundreds called Futility that talks about a fictional ship called the titan which was thought to be completely unsinkable, which eventually crashed on an iceberg and sank. This obviously it mirrors what happened to the Titanic in the decades to follow. So yeah, what are we talking about this sort of stuff? Last episode ended in our discussion of the Hunger Games, I found this old conspiracy blog by this British guy named Neil where he talks about all of his theories surrounding the Hunger Games, books and movies. So we will return to hear Neil's thoughts on the predictive programming implanted into the Hunger Games. Neil also has fascinating opinions on trains. He really doesn't like that in the Hunger Adams there is a big like like train system which he links to like the which he links to the European Union's future train plan as well as as well as like high speed rail plans for North America, which he is very against because do you know who else used trains?
Speaker 1: Was it the Nazis?
Speaker 3: Garrison the Nazis?
Speaker 1: Is it the Nazis?
Speaker 3: It's the Nazis, you know?
Speaker 6: You can tell this is an older conspiracy because they because they're actually using the Nazis as the people who use trains and not like the Soviet Union.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Neil just really likes driving and he thinks that driving is like the epitome of freedom. So he talks about how like trains are trying to control which areas of the country you can go to instead of the freedom of the open road.
Speaker 1: I got stuck behind a train and traffic on my way to the airport, very frustrated to make me late to this call. So I actually I think he's right. I'm on board now.
Speaker 2: He also rants about this this this nineteen ninety two UN plan called Agenda twenty one about like a big environmental management plan with highly condensed humor human settlement zones. This is something that both John Birch and Glenn Beck were also like, really.
Speaker 1: Alex Jones is huge one. This was the entire conspiracy ecosystem for about fifteen years. Couldn't shut the fuck up outage. Some of them still go on about it.
Speaker 2: So Neil's upset because that looks similar to like the PanAm map of like because PanAm is in like a post climate collapse. We have these very condensed areas of settlement and like a vast like unusable land mass in America. So he has he has this whole thing about that he he doesn't like that President Snow looks like the Saturnian figure of Cronos, the father of time, who devours children, just like just like how President Snow sacrifices children to maintain like societal control of PanAm in the Hunger Games.
Speaker 1: You know, let him see my bed, my bathroom. That'll uh yeah, really good. In the center of some I have a giant copy of the Saturn and Eating his Son painting that's like right next to my toilet. It's great painting. Also not necessarily about that. They just found a painting of a guy eating a guy, and we're like, it's probably Saturn that this guy was trying to bait.
Speaker 2: That is the research quality that Neil also does. He's like, yeah, it's probably all these things.
Speaker 1: Seems like it's Saturn. Yeah, it seems like it's Saturn. Yeah, kind of uncomfortable to imagine it's anyone else.
Speaker 2: Neil also compares the Hunger Games to China's one child policy and the population reduction conspiracy.
Speaker 3: Theories of Agenda twenty one.
Speaker 2: Just like in the Hunger Games, it's about having children kill each other, just like the one child policy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's how China does their one child policy. Other children are told to kill children.
Speaker 2: Family back on the revolutionary tract quote. I can't confirm that Susan Collins used the archetype of Artemis for her character of Catnus, but what can be observed is how this female role model is a symbol for revolution, a new order, and more importantly, a new world system. This is clear the blueprint for a new America. So part of this blueprint that he talks about is like implanted microchips and a brutal police state that arrests and kills protesters, unlike our current police state, which would never arrest or kill a protester.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and everyone just carries microchips around.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, now more more devious than the murder happy police. Neil finds the bird symbolism to be including Catnus's dress, which transforms into the mocking jay symbol, which, according to Neil, looks quote remarkably like a Benu bird of Egypt, as well as a phoenix, especially when encircled in fire quote. The phoenix is a classic mystery school symbol that relates to the unseen forces that transforms the world. Both Catnus and Pete's costumes set a fire as they enter the arena before the tournament, with Catnus becoming the bird on fire. She's the embodiment of the coming transformation, the beginning and the end. Catnus and Peda are symbols of Artemis and Apollo, the twins and children of the New World Order of Gods. Smokeless fire is also a major symbol used by the Illuminati and is their vehicle to communicate with the Arkans. He never goes into further detail of a.
Speaker 1: Yes, smokeless powder is what made war possible, so you know there's other things. It's not just the Illuminati. We use it for fireworks too.
Speaker 2: Catnus is the woman closed in fire sun in the Book of Revelation and the EU, the United Nations and the Security Council replicate the symbolism a phoenix rising out of the tyranny and war.
Speaker 3: It's all reversed.
Speaker 2: Symbolism, of course, because these bodies are set to administer the world Army, police and the future New World Order unquote. Though he's there complaining about a United Nations mural that was made after World War Two about a phoenix of peace rising from the ashes of war, and houses actually reversed symbolism because they're actually going to be, you know, laying out this global, one world government calling at peace.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He also talks more about the Book of Revelation and how twelve and thirteen combined and the unification of the new World just like in the Bible, and then finally to get to that three that three finger salute quote. It's interesting when you dig a little deeper and find that Catnus's salute is reminiscent of a certain Nazi youth salutes found in Eastern Europe in the late nineteen thirties.
Speaker 3: He's and he's.
Speaker 2: Also quite concerned by the new adoption of the salute by the Girl Scouts, despite the three finger salute being used in Scout organizations for over a century.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like the boy Scouts have a lot are sinister, but not because of the salute, now is the least of the problem was a brief moment of reprieve for a lot of those boys getting to do a salute.
Speaker 2: And then he also says, quote it's no surprise that the mocking jpin also looks similar to a Nazi gunner badge, because, as I've all shown, the bird is the symbol for the power of revolution, a new order that goes all the way back to the Holy Roman Empire.
Speaker 1: And these are the guys will be like, look at the mocking Jay symbol. It's similar to Then they'll see like a Scout sniper flag that looks like the SS logo and go, well, there's clearly nothing related to that.
Speaker 2: And then we will we will close this section by by continuing on the revolutionary elements. Quote what kind of revolution does Catnus symbolize? Are the youth of today being readied for another revolution followed by another dictatorship? How many more celebrities are we going to see being used as a mouthpiece for revolution. I am all for peaceful revolution based on respect and love, but the movies never portray that kind of revolution. A peaceful revolution is one inspired by the inner world of imagination and not necessarily the outer world of this five sensus. The type of revolution that the elite would want us to unfold here would be one born of pandemonium. The illuminati, in those who control of the current global empire in the making, love to hide their agenda in planes, within commercial so called fictitious movies, and in the media industry in general. The Hunger Games is the script for the totalitarian, elite ruled brutal police state. The agenda's repeatedly being laid out in front of our very eyes, both in real everyday life and in things we choose to expose ourselves within the so called entertainment industry.
Speaker 3: This is one of these things where all of these conspiracy theories center around the fact that people, for reasons that are incomprehensible to be believed that the thing the US government wants you to do is shoot guns at them. Yes right, No, no, they don't. I guarantee they don't want you to shoot machine guns out there.
Speaker 1: They would like you to spend money and go to work. That's the primary thing the US government wants you to do. Pay your taxes without too much fuss.
Speaker 3: Do you know what else the US government wants you to do, Robert, I.
Speaker 1: Know a number of things the US government wants me to do, Garrison, but I won't. I will not stop telling people to take colloidal silver for all of their health care problems. The only way to really carry out the revolution starts with putting silver in your body.
Speaker 3: All right, we are back.
Speaker 2: I've actually always wanted to do the topical silver and get that like blue skin.
Speaker 3: I thought that'd be kind of cool.
Speaker 1: You have to do a lot of it, cares.
Speaker 3: I'm well aware, like we can achieve this with body paint.
Speaker 1: I do find it very funny that they're so obsessed with like the Hunger Games as this like this is the elite showing you how they're going to crack down on all of us, and then when it actually when the Hunger Games inspires an actual revolution, it's like the one that gets no support from any like Spook agency and the only one. There's no CIA, no FSB, fucking nothing, like it's just a bunch of teenagers and their books and three D printers.
Speaker 2: I mean, And like looking back at at that Hunger Game section, it's always interesting how people like this they're like in the real world, very like probe police in a lot of cases, but then also being like they're trying to instill a police state. Right, it's get to they get to eat their cake. And have it too, where they are both pro law enforcement but also anti this like imagined evil version of law enforcement that's always like right on the cusp of being introduced.
Speaker 1: There's a through line there, which is that they are anti whatever it seems like people are telling them. Is like, obviously, okay, it's it's it's oppositional, definant. It's the same reason why, like you think that you're on You're living in a normal earth, so it's got to be a hollow earth, right, Like it's this if something is popular, if a movie's popular, it can't just be a movie that people liked. And if it's like, you know, I saw a Hunger Game, the first Hunger Games movie, and I tried to read the books, and I was like, nah, I can't read these you know, they're not they were not written for me. Like it's it's just I was not interested in them. And that's all I really thought about it. But like certain people, if they see something popular and they don't immediately fall in love with it, they have to come up with some reason why it's sinister, and it's the same thing that leads them to reject everything else, right that, Like if other people like something and I don't get it, or I feel weird, I don't understand it, then it has to be a fucking conspiracy like that used to be one percent of this country, and through social media it's become like half of us. Because it's a deeply addictive way to feel.
Speaker 2: I think the most sinister thing about the new Hunger Games is that they did not put nearly enough Hunter Shaver in that movie.
Speaker 1: So let's know who that is.
Speaker 3: Let's continue to the last time.
Speaker 1: That's got to be predictive Hunter Shaver. So they're wanted. Okay, So this is like very clearly, well, no, I could go into like I could go into like they're trying to make the kids trans right, they wanted to like hunt down their parents, shaved right in shape, you know.
Speaker 4: On Earth.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm saying you could eat turned it into a conspiracy theory, Garrison, you could make it work.
Speaker 2: So last thing we are to talk about the new hit movie Leave the World Behind.
Speaker 3: A Garrison made me watch this. I'm never gonna forgive them for it.
Speaker 2: One of it is it is one of the most recent examples of a movie sparking predictive programming conspiracies. It's by the creator of mister Robot, which retroactively makes mister Robot much worse.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: There is a few reasons why this movie has caused so much uproar, a major factor being that it's produced by the Obamas, as in the presidents very responsible. There is, there is, there's Havana syndrome references discussion of an evil cabal that runs the world, plans to collapse the United States, and the two child leads wear t shirts that read obey and NASA, respectively, which has been the cause of a lot of discourse.
Speaker 8: Obey NASA, Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Left's long term plan.
Speaker 4: Book.
Speaker 1: Several of the letters in NASA are also in Stalin. Are you gonna tell me that's a coincidence?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably, I will, I will now. I will now share this, share this clip from Steve Bannon, who had a Dutch far right e girl on his show to discuss the movie.
Speaker 1: Oh he's doing good, then, so he's doing good.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 1: I was worried about Steve.
Speaker 11: Okay, so we see a movie here now that is co produced by the Obama's about the potential potential cyber attack which causes mayhem, obviously, and I saw it, and it reminded me an awful lot of the narrative portrayed in a video published about two years.
Speaker 12: Ago by the World Economic Forum.
Speaker 11: And this was a video in which they supposedly warned us for a cyber pandemic.
Speaker 12: Interesting choice of words there.
Speaker 11: And they detail what could happen if we are under a cyber attack, and that the only way that we could solve and attack like that would be to disconnect everything and everyone completely from the Internet. So I figured, this seems to me like a classic case of predictive programming where not just the World Economic Forum, but now also through movies and you know, fictional stories, they are trying to prepare the public to the idea of cyber attacks and the potential chaos that could come with that.
Speaker 2: So that is that is her her big problems with the movie, which we'll see we'll see echoed in a lot of the people we talk about here with the World Economic Forums warning about a big cyber attack. She then went on to rant about the movies anti white sentiments, probably from the Obama's involvement.
Speaker 3: Clearly, yeah, she has.
Speaker 2: She has almost a million followers followers on Twitter. Is wild also because she's Dutch. Her last name is and I shit you not. Vlardinger broke so great great stuff happening in the Dutch.
Speaker 1: Wh Yeah, what is that predicting.
Speaker 2: For a summary of the movie, all at this conspiracy theory, TikTok explain the basic themes that we'll be discussing here.
Speaker 9: Essentially, the movie is about the downfall of civilization and how it's done in three steps. First step being that the government is going to be toppled from within, the next one that it's going to be littered with disinformation and misinformation to confuse the masses and to create chaos. The third step, if the first and second step are done correctly, is going to cause basically a civil war, causing the paranoid and problematic to start turning on each other. The Little Girl is obsessed with the last episode of Friends called How It Ends, which is interesting because the star of the movie, Julia Roberts, also dated Matthew Perry way way back, Matthew Perry, who also passed away earlier this year. The movie also references like billionaires and their bunkers, and it references the Cabal on way more than one occasion. The heart of it is that the Cabal has fallen, and so nobody is in charge, and this is what's leading to the fall of the United States of America. Essentially, it has a very predictive programming feel to it. And I mean with the Obamas and the constant references to water. Planes crash in the water and a boat called the White Lion runs up on shore from the ocean. Everybody wants water. They're constantly drinking water. Here's some water. You want some water? Didn't the Obama chef just drowned. I can't watch anything anymore. I can't enjoy Summon Up. The entire movie itself doesn't even have a plot. There's no real storyline to this movie, and the ending is awful. If I if I were not paying attention like I am, I would think the movie would be terrible. There's no resolution, there's no real start. It just seems like it's just here, just here, it's just telling you. And one more thing. It talks about microwave e MP.
Speaker 3: Like, okay, that's that's that's.
Speaker 1: That their brains are so melted that like they can't see a movie made in the image of all of their fears is made in the image of all their fears. Like the whole it's so sunsettling. It doesn't even start properly, it's just it just begins just in it. Like, man, that's that's kind of how a movie goes.
Speaker 2: I like how she talks about She like she like can't enjoy movies anymore, which is like the end result of all these all these conspiracy theorists, Like they just they just can't enjoy life because they see everything as this series of like interconnected incidents leading to some kind of grand narrative that makes it impossible to like actually like be happy, which is probably the funniest thing. Also that she thinks the movie predicted the death of the Obama's chef, which I don't don't even know if that's real.
Speaker 1: If you're one of these people, that's the most significant thing that's happened the last eighteen months. The Obama chef and Matthew Perry are like the Rosetta Stone for everything that's wrong in society, and not just two people who died, because it's a year.
Speaker 2: Because Matthew Perry used to date Jessica Roberts, who's the star of the movie, of course, and there's friends references all throughout the film so it's all connected.
Speaker 1: Subtle friends' references in very subtleind you miss him if you don't pay attention.
Speaker 2: So the the last conspiracy theorist I want to talk about is this is this like metaphysical influencer named Tristan Haggard who spends most of his time on stream selling hormone supplements for men so that they could boost their testosterone and stop being soy boys. While discussing various conspiracies.
Speaker 1: Love it, he.
Speaker 2: Says, quote cyber attacks, bio warfare, weaponized limes disease, lone star tick, chronic wasting disease, things that get you to stop eating meat. These things, these types of these types of programs are seated throughout the film. I feel like the tick bite and a lot of that stuff might have been a little bit of that DARPA extracurricular script editions.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, unquote.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure, yeah, of course. The fact that a kid gets bit by a tick and gets all fucked up is like trying to stop you from eating are.
Speaker 3: Trying to stop you from eating meat? Quote.
Speaker 2: I feel like the average normy might not put together the limes disease possible by weapon connection unquote. Amazing yeah, I don't think the average an army might might not put that one together.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 1: That does suggest to me that all these people are gonna die in thirty seconds if there's any real kind of unrest because their attitude towards the idea of disease is that was planted by the New World Order. Yeah, people won't get sick now.
Speaker 2: These two guys on this stream also said that they had to stop watching Mister Robot in the third season because there were too many quote unquote gay scenes, which is really funny.
Speaker 1: I had to stop watching it in this first season because I don't like Remy Mallick. But you know, see I was are built different I had.
Speaker 2: I had to keep watching just for Christians later, but that's just me.
Speaker 1: He did make it hard to quit.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So most of the time, these two guys on their conspiracy podcast just complain about how Ethan Hawk is a weak little soy boy and all of the and and and and all and all of the quote unquote by POC people were more like put together and more commanding, they constantly say BYEPAK, which is an interesting choice from that that.
Speaker 1: Is really fascinating, especially since Mahershall Ali's daughter isn't really a character in that movie, Marshall law Ali is okay because he's he's a great, great actor. But like, it's not like, it's not like all of the characters who aren't white or like written stirringly. Well, most of the characters of this movie are written like dog shits things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Tristan here says, quote, there's so much predictive programming and social engineering of how the mechanics of possible collapse of the power grid, collapse and the communications would result in basically chaos. And then I have I have this little clip here of him talking talking about the big cyber attack right now.
Speaker 13: A lot of people are saying, oh, this is predictive program They're going to do this cyber attack. And you know, we've been talking about this type of stuff for years, right with the cyber polygon on exercises and the World Economic Forum, and you're working with defense contractors in military intelligence, whatnot, working on the possible scenario of a cyber attack. Right the cyber attack is one of these scenarios that they're saying, it's got to happen, it's coming, the big cyber attacks coming. But I feel like films like this, The intention could be to make people so afraid of just the mere possibility of a total collapse like.
Speaker 2: This, so they obviously sound like they know what they're talking about there. That's very very very polished. Now Tristan thinks that he has a better idea to kind of seed collapse.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: A better way to implement this would be to not really roll out a huge wide scale power outages and communications outages, but make it up protracted, small and localized so that you can still maintain a certain level of propagand and control, and then create enough fear to where people will accept the mandatory digital ID for the Internet and the Central Bank digital currencies and whatnot. It's like a limited type of thing, a regional type of thing that then is hyped up to be the worst thing ever.
Speaker 3: Unquote.
Speaker 2: These guys are really like talking about this mandatory digital ID and the Central Bank digital currencies as being this big threat and there's going to just be any day this this this cyber attack which is gonna which is going to force us to all adopt this this uh, this digital ID to be able to sign into the internet. Quote, all you have to do is have most of the normal people afraid enough of the possible scenario and tease it. It's almost like a cyber attack brinksmanship type of thing unquote, so they think that, you know, you don't actually need to have the cyber attack, you just need to have people afraid enough that it could happen by by talking about it in media, film, TV, you know, all all this.
Speaker 3: Sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: You can't even get people to like change their past words.
Speaker 2: Like it's so funny because like the past few months, there actually has been a decent number of.
Speaker 3: Cyber attacks constantly, yes, which.
Speaker 2: Are yeah, like a very like a constant influx, which are all just being constantly handled, and it's it's not led to any of these massive apocalyptic scenarios that they're talking about.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, like the movie has. Part of how the movie has to make this, like has to make it, Like why the movie is set in the middle of nowhere, is that if it's set in a city and the internet goes out, the way people would actually respond would be like the way they respond when there's just some sort of random outage. Initially like like uh, oh shit, my phone doesn't work right now, I guess I've got to figure something else out for a second. Like it's it's easier to have it seem disconnected and like completely disorienting when you have everybody like out in the middle of nowhere without other people around to make shit makes sense.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna play Well, what one more clip from from Tristan's livestream here.
Speaker 14: I feel like also, I mean, they haven't they have been building all of this technocracy stuff to throw it away, right, They've been building it to implement it. So if there was an outage or the cyber attack or whatever, this would be some temporary, limited thing, you know, hyped up into oblivion and oh it was all the Trump Maga people, or it was all the Christians that did it to go working with Russia, Right, That's what they're gonna say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally. They're gonna blame the big cyber attack on the Trump Christians. That's gonna be who's gonna who's gonna launch the big attack?
Speaker 8: Totally absolutely to everyone will assume knew how to do a hack is the Trumpers. Yeah, first we taught them how to change the settings on their smart TV, and now they've hacked the planet.
Speaker 2: What do you do as soon as you turn off motion smoothing, then you're ready to go. They're gonna hack the system, get in, shut everything down. Oh so this Tristan guy was getting like hundreds of dollars in super chats on this stream. He's he's verified on YouTube, he has over one hundred thousand subscribers, and he is one of the has some of the like not not very hidden anti semitism, but like, I am kind of surprised that he's able to say as much as he is while still being verified and getting all this money, because he has this line towards the end of his of his stream quote, the little girl is inside the house with the bunker that everyone else was trying to go to, and she's sitting at the table surrounded by like goy slop. She's just got all the freaking kibbl foods like Funians and doritos. She's having a feast of gluttony. It's all freaking globo homo kibble, fruity pebbles and stuff. She's just gluttonously consuming a bunch of you know, trash processed foods. She's just all alone, just looking kind of autistic. Unquote what the fuck? So, yeah, he's just talking about like goy slop, like there's like the like, like the Jews are creating junk food to pacify.
Speaker 1: I want you to eat worms and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, So that is most of most of his interesting opinions. I'll leave the world behind at a pretty bad movie.
Speaker 1: A pretty bad movie. You know, there is one real conspiracy theory about it, and it has nothing to do with the Obamas or predictive programming. We see a character at the beginning of the movie, a survivalist, prepping to take care of his family even though no one knows a disastro is coming, and later knew. The end of the movie, when Ethan Hawk's son is sick, we meet the survivalist again. It turns out he's a handyman who lives in the edge of town, and he's played by Kevin Bacon now Garrison. In the classic film Trimmers, Kevin Bacon plays a handyman character who with his friend Earl Bassett played by Fred Ward, has to fight off an attack by subterranean ancient giant worm beasts in order to save himself in his small community and Dune. In Just like Dune, Garrison and in the lore of the Trimmers movies, Val McKee. Kevin Bacon's character is not seen in further movies because he gets rich and he marries Ronda le Beck and they move off somewhere. Maybe they moved to the northeast, to an island off the coast of the East Coast, where he bought a house and became a survivalist prepper informed by his experiences with his good friend Bert Gummer, the local survivalist who shot a giant worm to death and maybe leave the world behind. As a stealth sequel to the first Trimmers movie, showing what Kevin Bacon's character does later in life.
Speaker 2: I would be so much more of a fan of SAMs Mill if he if he tried to, if he tried to put the Tremor's movies into the canon of mister Robot like.
Speaker 1: It would have been, it would have been perfect. I would have completely changed my opinion on this movie. He shout up to Kevin Bacon's house and he'd come out with a gun, and they'd been like, look, we just need some antibiotics. He's like, antibiotics, what about the fucking worms? How are you people walking around? And then the movie ends at the end of the movie it was all a Trimmers sequel.
Speaker 2: You you you Korean Iranian terrorists went into the wrong reck roof.
Speaker 3: So I lastly just.
Speaker 2: Want to talk a little bit about some of like, you know, the obvious problems with this predictive programming idea, right. It completely annoys the fact that humans use art as a form of cultural creation, like we imagine futures in our art specifically because they could come into being, like a lot of a lot of like sci fi that influences technology comes from this. Then that's also kind of the basis of of Mark Fisher and Nick Lan's like a cultural hyperstition where you specifically make art to have this larger cultural effect that then it can bring things into being as opposed to the more like individualistic like use of like occultism. And then a big, a big part of all of this, this predictive programming thing is also just like apaphenia, right, It's it's people creating connections and patterns and random data because it's it's actually easy to look back, can pick out past media that has seemingly predicted events, but it's much harder to identify current media that is actually predicting future events. Right, this is this is a part of hindsight bias, the tendency that we have to look at past events is more predictable than what they actually were. It is it's a common psychological response to a traumatic event like like a big pandemic or a school shooting. There's also you know, all of these all of these predicted programming theories fall into these kind of contradictory depictions. Which is why the which is why the Hunger Games guy like uh calls it like reverse symbolism. Right, it's it's if this if if predictive programming is orchestrated by a shadowy cabal seeking to implement a totalitarian takeover by normalizing an incredibly oppressive government.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: In media and film TV, why is the said media almost exclusively about like rebel heroes overthrowing and evil to talitarian government. Right, it doesn't, it doesn't actually match. And there's been a lot of like cultural studies showing that whether you portray something in media as positive or negative will strongly affect the audience's takeaway of the stimulus. So if you show something positively, they're more likely to view it as a positive thing. If you show something negatively, they're more likely to view it as a negative thing. Right. This sounds very obvious, but you do have to do like social science to actually like show this is a real pattern. And then finally, I will end this by quoting from that article from the Ohio State University quote, there are a few purposes for predictive programming, and not all of them have to deal with tyranny. Some of them are meant to lessen the blow of an event like nine to eleven or as previously mentioned, at the Sandy Hook shootings. The contradiction arises when thinking about why the government would want to warn us or prepare us for Sandy Hook. The whole point of Sandy Hook conspiracies is to doubt the event even happened, so the government would create a conversation around gun control. This would defeat the purpose of staging it if the government was trying to ensure a smaller or inexistent response unquote. Especially like looking back at what we talk about with like the Simpsons, it's it's just a fun game people play, right, Like it's it sounds like a fun a fun world to to to live in. If you can imagine this interconnected web, connecting every single thing that happens to your own experiences.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it's.
Speaker 2: A way to turn turn the world into like this, this great mystery that you can solve instead of just like experiences that you have to live through.
Speaker 3: These people need real hobbies.
Speaker 2: Like Finally, the thing I wanted to mention is that the the upcoming discussion of predictive programming is all centered around this movie coming out next month called Civil War, which many many of these people in their discussion of Leave the World Behind are are are very much talking about how Civil War just seems like a sequel to Leave the World Behind, because Leave the World Behind seems like it's set up like a possible American civil war, and how this upcoming movie is itself going to be a massive predictive programming operation to prepare American citizens for civil conflict with each other. So have fun seeing a whole bunch of conspiracy theories develop around this movie that comes out next month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be that'll be good. I mean, I wish people would start some conspiracy theories around. Alex Garland's TV showed devs, which is dog shit also and one of the one of the worst uses of that guy from Parks and rec that I've seen in a long time. Heartbreaking. They use math to see the past, Garrison.
Speaker 2: That kind of reminds me of this movie I watched for research called Knowing with with Nick Cage, who finds a piece of paper that has something that's able to predict like catastrophic events. Alex Jones thought this movie predicted an oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico. But besides that, you don't see it. You don't really see it much in these in these circles, despite its very like obvious, like predictive focus.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mostly Dev's features a bunch of very good actors standing around and staring at a screen where grainy picture of Jesus from the past is lit up in like movie theater size screens like it's it's it's very it's very mid. That's what I'm saying about DEVS. It's pretty mid. Folks don't watch DEVS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, same thing with this Obama movie. So, yeah, watch out for the Obama's new movies, which are all gonna see the collapse of humanity, as well as the A twenty four The War movie, which is probably probably devious in some way, so have fun with that.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 1: I'll say this, Barack Obama, it's not his fault, obviously that a bunch of racists lost their mind when he became president, But knowing that it was kind of responsible for him to make his debut movie production a movie about a cabal taking over the government using secret weapons.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you knew what was.
Speaker 1: Going to happen, Barack. You're not a dumb man to tell me that's not what was going to happen.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, all right, Well, I think that does it for us today. Have fun predicting the end of this episode.
Speaker 10: Hello, good morning, good afternoon, good evening, and night. I'm Andrew Sage and I run the YouTube channel Andrewism. But this is it could happen here today. I'm carrying on my discussion of everyone's favorite subject, collapse. I'm here, of course with Garrison, and last time we spoke about the what, why, and how of collapse, as well as in many ways people respond when confronted with this crisis. So if you're curious about that, you can listen to the previous discussion. One thing I didn't touch on last time was the various levels of awareness that people have about collapse, because as with most things in this life, it exists on more of a spectrum than anything. We're all on this learning journey and some people are further along, if you could even really relate, it's not way than others. Some discussions of collapse are informed by author Paula Shafferka's Stages of Collapse. There are five stages in total, and the first stage is dead asleep, which is where you're really just vibing. You know, you can see some issues in the world here and there, but that could be fixed, right. All we had to do is organize a bit better, change our behaviors, slightly tweak the rules, and we'll be fine. But then you move on to the next stage, which is the awareness of one fundamental problem is when you realize, oh, there's something structurally wrong. What you only see in one part of that structural flow, so it seems everything is not you know, cash money, you know, maybe fond about the depths of systemic racism or imperialism, or overfission or mass extinction or fracket. And you know, as one does, you start to freak out a little bit. You know, maybe you mobilize to bring some awareness of this issue, just so people know that you know something is wrong, let's fix it, and that one problem can even consume you entirely. And then consuming all that knowledge about that one problem, you keep learning, and if you really do keep learning and are open to learn more and more about the issue, eventually reach an awareness of many problems. The next stage. The more you learn, the more you worry. You take in all sorts of information and begin to see how complex and multifaceted the world's problems are. Now it's hard for you to even prioritize which is so need to be tell first. In fact, it's so overwhelmed you do have be reluctant to acknowledge new problems because you already have so much on your plate. Alas, you cannot ignore the other problems forever, not unless you want to keep running in circles. So you get to the stage of awareness of the interconnections between the many problems, it starts to dawn on you that there are no easy solutions. Shutting down factory farms mainly off millions and leave perhaps hundreds of millions for a complete meal, or efforts to raise the standard of living in the developing world through industrialization in the footsteps of the developed world just might accelerate the Earth demise and profit a select few at least you thinking on the systems level, now beyond the symptoms towards the source. Perhaps there is no one solution, Perhaps the gravity of such a solution maybe too much to pay. So finally, at the last stage, you get to awareness that the predicament encompasses all aspects of life, so much so you might even pine after ignorance as you realize that this series of problems, or rather this all encompassing capital p predicament, includes everything we do, how we do, what we do, how we relate, and how we affect the entire planet. The predicaments is so massive you might even reach a point where you're just like, there is no capital s solution to this capital be predicament, no easy answer, no quick fix, and you can't do it alone. So now what now? In the last episode, I would have spoken about a couple of different responses that people have had to collapse slumber, denial, apathy, preoccupation, hedonism, overwhelm and blind hope, individual change, progress, worship, leader worship, apocalypse worship, despair, but as promised for this episode, I want to be a bit more constructive in focus and so to answer the question, really is there any way out? But before I get to that garrison, do you think there are any stages am I have missed in that progression of understanding? Or what have you observed in your experience?
Speaker 2: I mean one thing I kind of will Reitter eight, that is, this is something that was talked about a lot when when Robert was putting together the second season of It could happen here is is trying to avoid Yeah, like like like looking at collapse as one singular moment and more as this Like it's a more gauzy and more fuzzy slow crumbling of things that we have grown to rely on. And it sometimes you could like envision it eventually reaching to some sort of tipping point, but other times the tipping points never really ever reach. It's it's it's just it's just this this forever kind of crumbling and then rebuilding and then crumbling and rebuilding, and you get to like a ship a theseus situation where eventually, at one point the thing is completely different from what it used to be, but there was never like a full moment of quote unquote collapse. It was just this this continual like crumbling and then becoming into the next thing.
Speaker 10: It kind of saw and similar to what John Michael Greer described, No, not John Michael Greer, David Korwitz. He talks about this idea of like oscillating decline. Yeah, yeah, these these recessions, these declines, and you have a couple of peaks when things have to climb up a little bit and then and then the overall picture is like a downward trend, but there are some like brief aspects of recovery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's definitely a mode that I think about a lot. You know, a lot of people are worried of like some like some event triggering a much kind of larger scale collapse. And I think it's good too to focus on all of the smaller, the smaller crumbling that's just always happening all of the time, no matter where you live.
Speaker 10: So I mean my experience is pretty similar. I think one of the first issues that I became like fundamentally aware of was climate change. Sure, of course, I mean you crack up any one of those like I don't know if you ever got one of those big books of knowledge as a child.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I had.
Speaker 10: I had a few kind of plastic pages. Yeah, just so they have all these big, amazing pictures.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So I remember seeing those in one of those books, like this huge like mountain of trash and seeing like this this floating garbage patch in the ocean, and I was just like wow. And then later on, so the first thing wasn't even climate change, it was pollution. And then later on I started doing about climate change, and then that really became like my nature thing. And then later on I as I got older and I learn't learned history and that sort of thing, I came to economics and all that stuff. I came to realize that just how big situation was. And now I'm here. So, as I said in the previous episode, we really don't need blind hope, and I should be upondly clear, we definitely don't need hopeless despair. It's a little rhyme there. So how do we respond to this predicament? The short answer is that I don't know. The long answer is this whole podcast episode. I mean I could give some platitudes, you know, we need sobriety, clarity, lucidity. I mean Paul Shafuka points out in his article that those in stage five awareness who see that the predicament encompasses all aspects of life look to one of two paths. And I mean I've since adapted into Britain and remixed the two paths, so not one to one with what he had in mind, but you should get the gist. The first path of response to the predicaments of collapse is the inner path of self healer. It's a manifestation of that fake Can the quote be the change you want to see in the world, sort of retreating into oneself, digging deep and personal to helping your self awareness. I mean some people take this to mean some sort of hyper individual thing, and its low key is if you tilt and twist your head slightly, you can maybe see it in a different light. I don't think it has to mean becoming a monk or an aesthetic. I don't think it means denying systems or ignoring the painful truth. I think it involves taken in the gravity of what we're dealing with, such a grand scale issue, and putting it in a personal context, unabstracting it and understanding it through a more managical lens. I'm not one to fall back on evolutionary terminism or anything like that, but I do think often about how we kind of weren't meant to be processing this entire planet, this entire population.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 10: I think we're very good at dealing with immediate problems, very good at looking at situations that are before us, that are directly impacting us, and look at how we can solve that. And of course, no local solution necessarily is going to buy itself solve a global crisis, but medley of local solutions can. But we're not even talking here with this inner path of local solutions yet, we're talking even at a smaller scale, in the local, at the base unit of society, which is the self. So you might continue pursuing knowledge of the issues, start developing your practical skills and people's skills, trying to minimalize your lifestyle and preparation for the economic and social shocks of collapse, perhaps seeking to settle somewhere you determined it's best suited to whether the coming storms, which I believe. I saw a video like some years ago where this guy was saying the Midwest might be the best place environmentally to settle. I don't know if you'll cover that in the fust to a second season that could happen, yet, I.
Speaker 2: Mean there was something definitely we we looked we were looking into during some of the research phases of a lot of the agriculture that is currently based in the south of the United States every every every decade is going to start moving up and up and up, and particularly like Canada is going to enter a very large agricultural economic boom. That process has already started. But yes, there's gonna like be this this slow rising level of like industrial farming, which first of all, isn't isn't actually great for the land itself. Like once all of the land that's abandoned in the Southern States, like after it's been tapped for so long, it's really just like dust, like it's it's not actually useful dirt anymore. But it's all of that stuff's going to start moving farther and farther north as the as the conditions for growth start changing. And mean, it's the same thing for a lot of a lot of things that are grown and like more like jungly forest mountain areas where every year, like coffee and chocolate. They have to start they have to they have to start moving the crops further up the mountain. And again that's that doesn't that's obviously not a great long term solution because the mountain is only so high that it costs and it costs a lot of money to constantly be moving your crops higher and higher up a mountain. Indeed, but that is the sort of like agricultural and like economic drive. It's going to start getting more and more common to supply the amount of food that Americans are used to eating. And it won't like in the case of coffee, like it's not like actual coffee beans are not going to be as common as they were today or twenty years ago. It's going to become more of like a higher priced luxury item. And I'm sure, I'm sure Americans will get their caffeine fixed some other way. But yeah, it's like that those those sorts changes are going to become more and more and more commonplace.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, for sure. And this is why you know, anarchists get I think unfairly labeled like past like like excessively a ca area or maybe parochial and the focus. But I think that as we talk about the degradation of soils, We talk about the failures in the long term of monocultural large scale farm and the only way that we're really going to see that sort of land restored again is through the sort of agro forestry, puma culture, you know, small scale practices that involve rebuilding that relationship between the people and the land itself. Regardden outside of the US, I don't know what my game plan would be. The dry seasons are certainly dry, and I think last year actually was one of our driest wet seasons, So I don't really plan on leaving, but I do think about I do find myself thinking about, Okay, where am I gonna, like, but where am I going to settle? You know, Like, where am I going to be able to like safeguard myself and stay connected with people and live you know. So in a sense, I am on that inner path, educating myself as much as possible, trying to develop my practical skills, focusing on what I could do as an individual to make changes in my own life and partially in my surroundings the way that is manageable. Hassan, do you see yourself in this path? As well.
Speaker 2: I I'm not sure I tried to not I I spent a lot of time thinking about the future, I guess, but I try not to lock myself into any any particular pathway. I don't know, like I've already started to move around the US, leaving leaving the places where I've kind of grown up for the majority of my life that are actually decently suited for for some kind of climate collapse. But yeah, I I I don't know, I have I have risk. I have some form of hesitancy to like seed territory or just like like right off places as just being like not worth it, like especially especially like the South, the American Southeast, just like that there's kind of a there's kind of a nocean, just to like write off large swaths of areas, whether like agriculturally, like climate wise, or like even like politically being like, oh, this is just where all of the fascists are gonna live, and like that's not that's not true. This this has this area of the country is actually is one of the most diverse parts of the country, and to write it off all is like just like Republican Land is I think is grossly misguided, absolutely On the other hand, if things get really really bad, I'm also gonna hold onto my Canadian passport and just go and have that, have that as a backup option, just to just to go up north into uh into the snowy desolate of northern Alberta.
Speaker 10: So I mean I kind of a shove. Yeah, if Bush comes to shove. Antarctica is the final frontier.
Speaker 2: Right, So, like I I I always kind of I'm I have that backup option, which is easier than a lot of people. But it's it's it's it's something. It's something I try not to like. I don't like relying on that kind of notion.
Speaker 10: I feel you, I feel you, yeah, And I mean that's part of why I don't say this in our path is fully satisfactory to me. Yeah, even though I feel it's a path of unconsciously chosen due to some of the challenges I've faced on the outer path. But still what clicks with me more is the outer path. I've also called it balanced realism, which is, you know, hard to balance because a lot of people who confuse realism with pessimism, you know, you just see everything being awful. As I'm a realist, you know, But truthfully, I think taking the outer path of balance realism means shaken off the burdens and blinders are both pessimism and optimism and alarmism and denihialism and fatalism and hedonism and all these other setbacks and obstacles.
Speaker 3: All the other.
Speaker 10: Except aneurism. Trying to keep watching anwism, please, but you're really loosing yourself from your own hopes and fears. Really, I think the way I try to see it is I have no idea, and no one can really know what outcome there will be. You know, up to now, I have a better profit, I have meta sayer, I have meta fortune teller. I don't think any of us really know what the outcome will be. And there's so many factors that you can't even calculate and take into accome. Yeah, I mean, for all we know, I mean, it will be very disruptive of our reality, right, and personally, I'm not really a believer in like there be an interspeller alien species, but you know, imagine just out of the blue, like on a random Thursday afternoon, there was an actual alien invasion. I don't think any of us can really predict that. Of course, there are things that we do have the abilits to predict and work with and stuff like that. But really, of course that's an ex saggery to the example. But I want to be able to recognize and accept any number of possible outcomes in the face of such a grand predicament. I think maintaining realism is difficult, especially with so much information. Who have been around in the ether, and you don't know what's true and what's not. But I think it's necessary. You know, you agitate, your fight, your build for the best, but you also prepare and defend for the worst prefecide. By the way, on optimism, I see really two sides of collapse optimism. Both I think are well placed, but both unfortunately misled. There's the optimism that collapse absolutely will not take place, which I think is a sort of optimism that doesn't really quite understand where collapse, what forms collapse can take. And then it's a sort of optimism that collapse will take place but will overcome it. I mean, the house of collapse might not line up fully with our predictions, but there is a very clear trajectory that we are on the idea that collapse is just not in the cards at all, really feels like wishful thinking humanity I don't think has the plot armor that we tend to think it does. And that lack of plot armor also means that there's really no guarantee that we will overcome collapse if it does occur. There are no show outcomes, to be sure, but that doesn't mean a bit destined to come out of this unscathed. But what do you think of optimism considering what you do for work?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't think about optimism very much. I see a lot of bad stuff, like every day as a part of my job, I think about a lot of like grim stuff, I suppose, but it's honestly not something I think about it. I think it's it's it's a little bit of its own bubble. I think there's a utility for having hope but not having a sense of just like static optimism, I think. I think hope is a is a is a useful thing to have in your brain, but but not not have it be as like this just like umbrella that you apply to every single aspect of your life in the way like optimism is, but in terms of like when you're mentioning, like the alien thing. I think one way that people do think about collapse or trying to cope with it a lot is like it's kind of some form of like disx machana, like like this this something will happen, whether that's some other like catastrophic event or like apocalyptic event, or it's like some new found scientific advancement that one day will pop into existence and then we'll solve all of these problems. I think both of those are kind of a form of a dix macana, and both of those are actually ways of coping, even though one is more apocalyptic and one's more utopian.
Speaker 10: I thought you were talking about the video game series, you know, no, Like I was thinking, oh, yeah, you know ex cybern etics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, sure, I we like that kind of that kind of is its own form of dis x makta in terms.
Speaker 3: Of this, this.
Speaker 2: This thing entering from backstage that now solves all of these problems we have in the story of the world. But I mean that is I think that's that's the thing that I think a lot of people try to find some so it kind of allows you to not be in denial about the current predicament, but still envision a future that is pretty similar to what we currently have, just with this like magical invention or this or this like or this like apocalyptic event that forces people to like actually solve some some degree of problems.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: It's kind of it's kind of like the thing in Alan Moore's Watchman, being like if there was a giant squid, then the whole world would team up together solve the problem, and I don't know, that seems a little bit less likely.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Unfortunately, climate collapse, ecological collapse is not a giant squid, and there is no Doctor Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even even after COVID, right, you have this massive, like world threatening event, and it's it's kind of the perfect example of it's like a you know, a version of the giant squid, and that did not lead to the whole world working together to solve this big problem.
Speaker 10: I mean, to be fair, it was like a giant invisible squid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 10: To be fair as well, the giant invisible squid is still there and like regularly claiming lives, we kind of just go up all with alladays, kind of ignoring its like, oh, you know, there goes Fred, you know, snatched up by the giant squid.
Speaker 2: I'm sure in the Watchmen world there would be a great many of like squid deniers, of people who are like, no, this squid was never real. This this couid was all fake. That was all faked in New York City. It was it was, It wasn't real like that.
Speaker 10: I long said, there's no opinion that everybody in the world would agree with, you know, like if you were to say, for example, that all humans need food to live, there's gonna be a contrarian who's gonna tell you, actually, I survive on photosynthesis. I'm a breatheteria. You know, there's there's no uncontroversial tea because they will. I think there will be a deniers no matter what. You know, as you were talking about optimism and sort of the dark things you're dealing with, it reminded me of something that that shook me. Yesterday. I was watching shown on YouTube Sean's video on Palistine and he shared the story of this young person and boy who had filmed the video celebrating himself winning kat in a thousand subscribers, and he was sharing his goals of you know, he may get in ten tho one hundred thousand, maybe even a million, and he was killed last year by the idea. So I think, I mean, it's connected, but not entirely related. We're talking more long lines of ecological collapse and systems collapse and this sort of thing. And while it's true that for much of the world collapse is not going to look like a singular event, I think it is also important to recognize that and remember that there are people for whom collapse, or rather they are subjective collapse. The collapse of their world, their way of life they exists, is staring them in the face.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 10: Now, you know, I don't want to compare misfortunes, but you know, there is that reality that you know, some people are facing like cataclysm right in their face, and for others it's like a slower boon, but ultimately similar feats. You know.
Speaker 2: That was something we were also considering when putting together some of the climate change focused earlier episodes from a few years back. And like the effects of climate change or just collapse in general are not like uniform, right they they it first targets on the periphery and like whatever, that's kind of a faulty way of doing that right, Like an old term would be like the third world.
Speaker 3: We were trying to find better, better terms for this and that of.
Speaker 10: Them really fully work.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I was actually recently talking and I stream about how like like I'm just like I feel like all these distinctions people trying to drow, like the West is just the east or you know, global North is schoogle. So they're all a bit messy. Yes, actual application.
Speaker 3: But the people on.
Speaker 2: Like the the edges of empire, the edges of like the Imperial engine, are going to face this a lot sooner than the people in the imperial core and like that. That is just whether that's collapsed through like war like like like forced collapse, or that's collapsed through like environmental factors like but both of those are often the case. People are going to do a lot of work to maintain the mecca of New York City, but they're not going to care for a small town, not.
Speaker 10: Even a small town like Jakarta could sink into the ocean.
Speaker 2: And absolutely like just like who kires, right, hurricanes taking out like act like care just to be clear, the whole countries, Yeah, no, absolutely, like those these things do not do not get held on the same the same level.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, so I mean I'm supposed to answer my own question. I think you do need a dose of optimism to keep you from falling to despair or completely checking out to the struggle, just for the sake of your mental health, but not to the point of blindness from the truth. I don't think there's anything wrong with maintaining some level of emotional cushion in to keep you going to you know, fuel you to wake up in the morning and and make it through your day. But not to the point of the delusion, I suppose. And I think this is this is the value of the outer path as well. And I think this outer path is fueled by a bit of in a grace and peace. You know, you've let go of some level of naivety and passivity. You're moving, acting, doing, adapting. And here, of course, I'm thinking of like the Puma culture movement, the Transition Towns Network, or the other ongoing movements and projects, none of which are perfect, mind you, none of which are going to say the whole world or anything, but they Sidney try. And I'm as thinking of like the movement for the MST in Brazil, and you know the Leavia Campecina, who we would have interviewed in people about recently. These groups, these movements, they struggles are thinking, are looking local, thinking global and actually really making a difference. I think that outlook is necessary. I think we need more political movements it could be honest about reality that aren't waiting for a safere or politician that aren't wait sensor it's too late to act, that aren't removing power from the hands of people and placement elsewhere move instead of far less reactive and more proactive, and maybe we'll never see a global shift to the growth or a steady state economy in all lifetimes without a major disruption and shifting the efforts of grounds roots movements. We can definitely see small scale, local resilient systems springing up and spreading that are better able to endure the coming economic, socio ecological shocks. I am as pro social revolution as they come, but I think we need a more expansive understanding of what that entails. I was reading actually this Morning Anarchy, a graphic guide by Clifford Harper, and he spoke about how sixty five years of persistent agitation and organization culminated in the largest far reaching revolutionary movement of the modern times. I think when we discuss the Spanish Civil War and the cnt FAI, a lot of people get caught up from always happening during the Civil War. But I think I don't think there's not focused on the fact that, you know, these organizations were moving and shaken in their communities and in their regions for decades prior to any major you know pop off. You know, like a general strike does not happen overnight, and insurrection does not happen overnight, espectially not without the level of broad scale support they will be necessary to sustain those efforts. On the topic of the Transition Movement in particular, that movement was officially started in two thousand and six in the UK, but had some routes before then. In two thousand and four, primic culture designer Rob Hopkins task students at Kinsale through their Education college, with applying primical principles to the concept of peak oil, leading to the creation of the Kinseal Energy Descent Action Plan. Two students, Louis Rooney and Catherine Dune developed the Transition Town's concept, presented into the Kinsale Town Council which adopts the plan for energy independence. Then Hopkins later moved to Totney's, England, where he, along with Naresh Kiang gray Kian Grandee, developed these concepts into the Transition model. Transition Town Totney's founded in early two thousand and six, serious inspiration for other transition initiatives globally. Early two thousand and seven, the Transition Network UK charity was co founded by Rob Hopkins, Peter Lippmann and Ben Brangwin his support and the sound transition concepts worldwide. By two thousand and eight, product had expanded, with numerous communities becoming official transition towns. These are things you don't care about in the news. These are positive developments that have happened under the radar for decades. At this point. By May twenty ten, over four hundred community initiatives will recognize as official transition towns in various countries, reflecting the diverse range of communities involved, from villages and neighborhoods to cities and city boroughs. The initiatives who developed citizens cooperatives, renewable energy, local and sustainable food systems, new cooperative economic models, sustainable transport systems, energy to send action plans, and even hearts and Soul groups built to respond to the emotional components of collapse and transition. In the book How Everything Can Collapse, which I referenced in the previous episode, Paulo Savine and Raphael Stephen's talk about the paradox of collapse, and I'll leave it in their words because I think it was really well put.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 10: From a philosophical point of view, transition is a strange and paradoxical thing. It's both catastrophists optimistic, that is to say, both lucid and pragmatic. Lucid because the people involved in these movements are not in denial about catastrophes. Most of them have given up the myth of eating out growth as well as the myth of the apocalypse. They know and believe in what awaits us, and generally receptive to catastrophistic language because they already are committed to this search for real alternatives. Pragmatic because catastrophists political thinking. It's not apocalyptic in nature. It's not claim to worried about the end of the world, but more precisely about a sudden and potentially traumatic reorganization of ecosystems and societies. Neither business as usual nor the end of the world, just a world to invent together here and now and good. The transition movement is vitally rooted in imagination, and I've spoken about the vitality of imagination in the past. In fact, my video on the subject was partially inspired by Rob Hopkins's book, From What Is to What If You imagine? You sketch out the details, and you roll up your sleeves and you make it real. The development of the Transition Networks project, Rob Hopkins, along with others, published the Transition Handbook, which is structured in three parts. Versus the head, which are the facts of the situation. Then you have the heart, which are the emotional consequences and desire futures. And then you have the hands, which is how you get from imagination to action. I just thought that was a really great approach, even though the Handbook is dated in some ways. Of course, guiding people through the process of even accepting transition and getting them on the outer path works well on the small and personal scale, but there is a challenge of scale. Savine and Steven's point out that you can't exactly announce on a large platform listen up, everybody, prepare for the end of the world.
Speaker 4: As you can.
Speaker 10: Imagine, it ends up being a self fulfilling prophecy. It's kind of like telling people not to rush out and buy upol the toilet. People transition on larger scales is differult not to say it's not difficult to build the local communities resilience from disruptions in food, energy, climate, et cetera, but on the macro scale is even more difficult. At least if you're determined to take on a top down approach. You get what I'm saying is because this isn't exactly a problem that rulers are capable of solving. The debt system is not going to go away by decree. The energy system that fills their coffers won't shift until it profits them either. And in seeing like a States, the anthropologist James Scott spends a lot of time discussing just how that top down perspective of the world is inherently limited and incapable of effecting those sorts of changes. But thankfully the people able to act where rulers won't. As being the Stevens put it, transitioners to that wait for governments. They already invent in ways of living through this collect through this collapse in a non tragic way. They are not waiting for the worst, but building for the best. Ultimately, I'm trying to get on the level of the Transition Town realists on the outs of path that are building networks, building community, and building sustainability. Highly suggests that if you're looking for ways to help out in your local situation, check out the Transition Town network and see how you can tap in or start your own initiative and your own area. That's all I have for now or power to all the people. This is it could happen here. I am Andrew, This is Garason, Peace.
Speaker 12: Hello, this is it could happen here, and I am sureen Today we have an update for you about what has happened in Palestine. There is a lot that is happening in Palestine, way way too much to cover in a single podcast episode, but I hope this at least gives you a general idea of where we currently stand, just for clarity and context. I am recording this on Tuesday, March twelfth, so any numbers I mention, unfortunately and probably are different now at this point, there have been over five months of bombardment and genocide, and this has caused a humanitarian crisis in Gaza, with children starving to death due to malnutrition and dehydration. As Israel has imposed restrictions on aid deliveries to Gaza, five months of genocide on top of more than a decade and a half of blockade have caused relentless mental harm to children in Gaza. According to our report released by Save the Children on Tuesday, twenty five Palestinians and Graza, including out least twenty children and a two month old baby, have died of malnutrition and dehydration. According to the Palestinian Ministry of Health, the true death toll due to starvation is feared to be much higher as many Palestinians, particularly in northern Gaza, face famine and are almost entirely cut off from the severely limited humanitarian aid which is entering Gaza through the southern Rapah crossing. Many Israelis have also been blocking aid from entering Gaza. A group of Israeli protesters have been blocking aid trucks from crossing into the Gaza Strip for weeks now, vowing that quote not a single loaf of bread should reach those trapped in the tiny region of the Gaza strip until all remaining hostages are released. The area around Karam Shalom, which is Israel's only functioning border crossing with Gaza, is a closed military zone, but the IOF officers and their presence there hardly deters the dozens of protesters, who are mostly settlers, families of hostages, and deactivated military reservists. It does not deter them from trekking through the area and protesting in an attempt to slow AID trucks from entering Razza. I'm noticing right now that I'm interchangeably using Gaza and Razza. Raza's just how you say in Arabic. U sofoye if I jump around my apologies on the ground, CNN recorded an interview with protester w Sharon. She pointed to an AID truck convoy and said, this arrives into the tunnels of Hamas, fighting us and holding our hostages. There is no evidence that the majority of AID, including food and medical supplies, is going to Hamas. Sharon and her fellow protesters are demanding that AIDS stop entering Gaza, where over thirty thousand people have now been killed, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health, with people at an increasing risk of starvation. Another protester named Katya said they should only get the minimum calories to survive if they are starving to death, give the hostages back. Not a single loaf of bread should go there till our hostages are coming back. When questioned about the scale of human suffering in Gaza, Katya seemed unmoved. She said, even if there is a humanitarian crisis, and there is not, it is my right and my duty to prioritize the Kiffeta Bibas over any Gazan babies. Kiffitabebas is a one year old who is being held hostage along with the baby's parents, So that's what she's referring to, prioritizing Israeli babies over Palestinian babies. Very little AID has made it into Palestine, and perhaps nothing captures what the US and Israel actually are. Then a picture that has been making the rounds on social media recently. It's a photograph showing US AID drops and Israeli airstrikes targeting civilian areas in northern Gaza, happening at the same time. Falling on the rubble of destroyed buildings. The AID and to the airstrikes dropping at the same moment is dystopian and beyond fucked up. Since October seventh, Israel has also shut off entry of food, water, and medicine, as well as other supplies from entering Gaza, only allowing a trickle of AID trucks through two crossings in the south. Israel has blamed the starvation that Palestinians are enduring in Gaza on UN agencies, saying that they fail to distribute supplies piling up at Gaza crossings. The UNRWA, which is the largest UN agency in Gaza, says Israel restricts goods and imposes cumbersome inspections that slow entry of aid. Also, distribution within Gaza has been crippled. UN officials say. They say that convoys regularly are turned back by Israeli forces and that the military often refuses safe passage amid fighting, and that the aid does not get to the people that need it the most, often being grabbed from trucks by hungry Palestinians en route to the drop off points. Recent air drops of AI by the US and other countries provide far lower amounts of aid than truck deliveries, which have become increasingly more rare, and they're also sometimes dangerous. The UNRWA says that Israeli authorities haven't allowed it to deliver supplies to the north of Gaza since January twenty third. The World Food Organization, which had paused deliveries because of safety concerns, said the military forced its first convoy to the north in two weeks to turn back on Tuesday. Jarine from the Future is here just for this quick update. Yesterday Wednesday, Israeli forces hit a food distribution center and aid's center in Rapha. The UNRWA said that one of their staff members were killed and twenty two others were injured, and it said up to sixty people were believed to have been working there when it was hit. Those killed were said to be a fifteen year old boy and four men who were between twenty seven and fifty years old. Rafa resident Sami Abu Salim said it's a UNRWA center expected to be secure. Some came to work to distribute aid to the people in need of food during the holy month of Ramadan. Suddenly they were struck by two missiles. The UNRWA chief Philippe Lazarini said in a statement that it was one of the very few UNWA distribution centers that was still operating in Gaza after these five months of genocide. He said, this attack comes as food supplies are running out, Hunger is widespread and in some areas turning into famine. Every day. We share the coordinates of all of our facilities across the Gaza Strip with parties to the conflict. The Israeli Army received the coordinates, including this facility yesterday. Since October, the un r WA says at least one hundred and sixty five of its thirteen thousand employees in Gaza have been killed and that more than one hundred and fifty of its facilities have been hit by Israeli forces. Here are the latest casualty figures as of March thirteenth, at twelve forty pm in Gaza, there are at least thirty one thousand, two hundred and seventy two people who have been killed. Of those, there are twelve thousand and three hundred children who have been killed, as well as eight thousand, four hundred women who have been killed. There are more than seventy three thousand and twenty four people who have been injured, including eight thousand and six hundred and sixty three children who have been injured and six thousand, three hundred and twenty seven women who have been injured. There are more than eight thousand Palestinians who are missing in Gaza. The latest figures from the Palestinian Ministry of Health for the occupied West Bank is as follows. At least four hundred and thirty two people have been killed, including more than one hundred and fifteen children. There are more than four thousand, six hundred and fifty Palestinians who have been injured in the West Bank. In Israel, officials have revised the death toll from October seventh from one thousand, four hundred and five to one one thousand, one hundred and thirty nine. As far as the injured go, in Israel, there are at least eight thousand, seven hundred and thirty people who have been injured, according to the latest data from the UN's Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the World Health Organization, as well as the Palestinian government. As of February twenty five, Israeli attacks have damaged more than half of Gaza's homes, three hundred and sixty thousand residential units have been destroyed or damaged. There have been three hundred and ninety two educational facilities that have been destroyed, including all universities. Twelve out of the thirty five hospitals are partially functioning. One hundred and thirty two ground water wells have been damaged or destroyed. Two hundred and sixty seven places of worship have also been destroyed. I really want to emphasize how damaging starvation is and famine is. Starvation causes a long lasting damage to the body. Large numbers of people in Gaza are CCXI experiencing malnutrition. Studies of famines in other countries show that famines can have long lasting impacts on people's health and even that of their descendants. A new type of video has been circulating online from the Raza Strip, footage showing families baking quote unquote bread which is made from bird seed, eating weeds, and giving newborn babies dat to stuck on instead of milk. The Accountability Program director at Defense for Children International Palestine said it is unthinkable that in twenty twenty four, in a world that produces more than enough food for all people. That Palestinian children are starving to death. The starvation of children is a hallmark of jedocide and a deliberate political choice by Israel, backed by the Biden administration. It is complete madness that Israeli authorities continue to prohibit and restrict food and other life saving supplies to a starving population while the international community stands. Palestinians in Gaza started to experience chronic hunger within weeks of October seventh. At this point in time, Israeli strikes have killed more than thirty thousand Palestinians, and this is according to Gaza's Ministry of Health. The death tolls that come out of the Palestinian Ministry of Health. They account for Palestinians who die at hospitals or whose families report their deaths to the ministry. Due to the telecommunications blackout, the collapse of the medical system, Israeli ground invasion and continued Israeli aerial bombardment, many Palestinians are not able to reach hospitals and so this number is likely far far greater than it actually is. And as I mentioned, Israeli authorities have repeatedly blocked and severely restricted any humanitarian aid from entering Gaza. On Tuesday, Israeli forces attacked Palestinians who were waiting for aid trucks at the Kuwait roundabout south of Gaza City and they killed seven people. Keep in mind, this is after what has become known as the Flower Massacre. On February twenty ninth, the Israeli Occupation Forces aka the IOF killed at least one hundred and eighteen Palestinians who were attempting to get aid from a convoy in Gaza City. In this Flower massacre. Along with the one hundred and eighteen Palestinians who were shot and killed, at least seven hundred and fifty additional Palestinians were injured. They were just trying to get food from the aid trucks to feed their family. The United States recently delivered two air drops of aid alongside the Jordanian military into northern Gaza. The air drops contained a total of seventy four thousand, eight hundred meals, and this was widely criticized as a public relations move because the Biden administration is still clearly complicit in Israel's genocide of Palestinians. International criminal law prohibits serious atrocities, including core crimes of genocide, the crime of aggression, crimes against humanity, and war crimes, and provides for individual crime responsibility for perpetrators. The crime of genocide constitutes the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group in whole or in part. Genocide can result from killing or by creating conditions of life that are so unbearable. Intentionally using starvation of civilians as a method of warfare is an underlying act of genocide and it amounts to a war crime. I've said this before on this podcast. I'll say it again, but at this point international law means nothing. I mean, it hasn't been anything for a long time. Nothing happens with Israel continues to break international law. So though that phrase is a little empty to me when they are in violation of international law, but here we are, and it should be noted that starvation of civilians also contributes and is an active genocide. I've talked about why this is genocide in other episodes, but it's clear act of genocide. What Israel is doing to Palestinians and many scholars agree with that. Anyway, let's continue. As weeks of blockades on food and other aid have turned into months, starvation has reached historic proportions. One recent report by the Global Nutrition Cluster, which is a United Nations Children's Fund, a UNISEF led partnership of humanitarian organizations, It found that in December of twenty twenty three, in January of twenty twenty four, nine and ten children under the age of two and more than nine and ten pregnant and breastfeeding women surveyed had consumed two or fewer food groups in the previous day. This situation is considered severe food poverty. Nearly two thirds of households were eating just once a day, if at all. In the northern Gaza Strip, one in six babies and toddlers were acutely malnourished. Aid organizations say that these numbers today are likely to be far, far worse, and that the rapid onset and complexity of Gaza's food crisis is unprecedented. Ted Chaiban is the Deputy Executive Director for Humanitarian Action and Supply Operations at UNICEF. He said in a recent statement the Gaza Strip is poised to witness and explosion in preventable child deaths. If the conflict does not end now, children's nutrition will continue to plummet, leading to preventable deaths or health issues which will affect the children of Gaza for the rest of their lives and have potential intergenerational consequences. There are nearly two point two million people living in the Gaza Strip, nearly half of whom are children. Nearly one hundred and sixty million other people worldwide are facing hunger, including millions of people in Somalia, Afghanistan and Sudan. The short term health consequences of food scarcity have been studied intensively. In children, an especially vulnerable group. Severe acute malnutrition can lead to muscle wasting, stunted growth, and medical complications including sepsis, meningitis, diarrhea, and severe anemia. Worldwide, nearly half of all deaths of children less than five years of age are linked to malnutrition. A growing body of research is finding that even if these children return to normal nutrition levels, a period of acute malnutrition can lead to long lasting damage later in life, and it may impact future generations. This is one of many examples of why Israel's genocide of the Palestinian people isn't just about death and the lives they've destroyed and the land that they've taken. Israel's genocide is also about robbing Palestinians of any livable future, affecting generations of Palestinians to come, and they've done this since nineteen forty eight. That's why it's no accident when children are targeted by the IOF, when they're starving or when they're shot. They are murdered as a way to prevent Palestinians from having a future or having any hope. We see how the IOF shoots children with the intention to kill. There are many, many examples of this, but here's a recent example. Two children were killed in November in the West Bank. Adam Samer Elrul, eight years old, was shot in the head. Bazdez uleemn Abu Edwafa, fifteen years old, was shot in the chest. These children were both murdered and shot with the intention to kill. The Israeli military and border police forces have been killing Palestinian children with virtually no recourse for accountability for decades. Back in August of twenty twenty three, well before October seventh of twenty twenty three, Bill van Esfeld, who was the Associate Children's Rights director at Human Rights Watch, said Israeli forces are gunning down Palestinian children living under occupation with increasing frequency. Unless Israel's allies, particularly the United States, pressure israel to change course, more Palestinian children will be killed. And that is exactly what has been happening. Many, many more Palestinian children have been killed, all preventable. Human Rights Watch researchers and documenting four killings that happened interviewed in person seven witnesses, nine family members and other residents, lawyers, doctors, staff and field workers at Palestinian and Israeli rights groups, as well as reviews CCTV footage and videos that were posted on social media, as well as statements by Israeli security agencies, medical records, and news reports. In all cases that they researched, Israeli forces shot the children's upper bodies without, according to witnesses, issuing warnings or using common less lethal measures like tear gas, concussion grenades, or rubber coated bullets. I also want to draw attention to how this genocide is also a mass disabling event that will harm an entire generation and make them reliant on infrastructure that does not physically exist. More than ten children a day lose a limb in Gaza, and this is from the source. To save the children. At least seventeen thousand children, which is one percent of Gaza's overall displaced population of one point seven million, have now been orphaned in the Gaza strip and the number of children who have been killed in Gaza. This number is now reaching thirteen thousand children. The number of children reported killed in just four months in Gaza is higher than the number of children killed in four years of war around the world combined. Let's take an ad break and we'll be right back, and we are back. In the twenty four hours between Sunday, March tenth and Monday, March eleventh, during which the vast majority of Americans were busy watching the stupid fucking oscars, seven massacres were committed by Israeli occupation forces against families in Laza, killing sixty seven Palestinians and injuring one hundred and six others. This happened as people were distracted by watching this dumb display of nothing. Palestinians are continuing to be murdered. And as for where things currently stand right now, there are more than one point seven million civilians who are trapped in the Dephah, which is Gaza's last place of refuge. It's right on the south, on the southern border. And this is after Israel kept telling Palestinians to go south because of these quote unquote safe zones that were clearly not safe at all. A massacre is happening in the right now, and the world is silent, and to make matters worse, not that they can get any worse. Israeli Prime Ministers Benjamin n Yahoo says that he intends to press ahead with the invasion of the city of Raphach. Joe Biden useless warned that the offensive would be a quote red line. But as we know, a slap on the wrist for Israel means absolutely nothing, and they continue to act with impunity, without any repercussions. When asked on Sunday whether Israeli forces would move into Raa, Nan Yahu replied, we'll go there. We're not going to leave them. You know, I have a red line, and you know what the red line is that October seven does not happen again. It never happens again. He also dismissed the idea of a ceasefire for Ramadan, saying that he would like to see another hostage release because without a release, there's not going to be a pause in the fighting. And he also doubled down on his rejection of the possibility of a Palestinian state. He says, the positions that as bows are supported by the overwhelming majority of Israelis who say to you, after October seventh, we don't want to see a Palestinian state. The Israeli people also support my position that says that we should resoundingly reject the attempt to ram down our throats of Palestinian state. That is something they agree on. The evening of Sunday, March tenth was also the first day of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan. Tarik Ahmad, who is the UK Minister of the State responsible for relations to the Middle East, to North Africa and the UN, on Monday, he urged Israel to quote allow unhindered access to Jerusalem's holy sites during Ramadan. What has Israel done since then, you may ask, well, Israel has put up a barbed wire fence around the Uxamosque, something it hasn't done since nineteen sixty seven. Israel erected barbed wire on a fence around the Lions Gate area, adjacent to the Uzamosk complex and occupied Eastererusalem. The Jerusalem Governor's office itself said in a statement on Monday, this is a dangerous precedent that has never occurred since nineteen sixty seven. The Lions Gate, also known as Bab al Asabat, is located within Jerusalem's Old City and is one of the main gates leading to the Uxamosque. Israel clearly aims to prevent Palestinians from entering Uximosque during the holy month of Ramadan. Israeli forces have also imposed a strict siege on the Eluxamosque for the past five months, preventing entry into it. On Sunday night, Israeli forces prevented hundreds of Palestinians from entering the mosque to perform the Tearawekh, a special night of prayers during the holy month of Ramadan. They also beat a Palestinian man near Bab al Zehara, one of the gates leading to the mosque, before detaining him soldiers also reportedly detained an Eluximosque guard from the Old City of Jerusalem. Continuing along with the news from just this week, on Monday, Israeli forces arrested six Palestinian boys from the town of Sailla, northeast of occupied Jerusalem. Video footage showed a group of Israeli soldiers tying the Palestinians with a rope and dragging them in a humiliating manner through the streets of Essoella. You see this in this footage. They wrangle them and treat them like fucking cattle. Worse than fucking cattle. They're treated worse than animals. And the entire world is witnessing this. And what it's absolutely sickening to me is that so many Americans would probably care more about a dead dog than about a dead Palestinian. And if that sentence made you uncomfortable, well it's supposed to. Palestinians have not been treated or depicted as human for so long that it's just become normal. But it is not normal, and Palestinian life matters just as much as any other. I want to also take a moment to talk about what's happening in the West Bank. According to Amnesty International, Israeli forces have unleashed a brutal wave of violence against Palestinians and the occupied West Bank in the last five months, carrying out unlawful killings, including by using lethal force without necessity or disproportionately during protests and arrest raids, as well as denying medical assistance to those injured. The organization investigated four emblematic cases where Israeli forces used unlawful lethal force, three incidents in October and one in November, which resulted in the unlawful killing of twenty Palestinians, including seven children. Researchers remotely interviewed twelve people, ten of them eyewitnesses, including first responders and local residents. The organization's Crisis Evidence Lab verified nineteen videos and four photos in examining these four incidents. Amnesty International's research also found that Israeli forces obstructed medical assistance to people with life threatening wounds, as well as attacked those attempting to assist injured Palestinians, including paramedics. Since October seventh, Israeli forces have stepped up raids, carrying them out almost daily across the occupied West Bank and what it describes as search and arrest operations. In one recent incident that you may have seen online, Israeli forces carried out arraid masquerading as medical staff. In twenty twenty three, at least five hundred and seven Palestinians were killed in the West Bank, including eighty one children, making it the deadliest year for Palestinians since the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs began recording casualties in two thousand five. Erica Guavera Rosas, Amnesty International Director of Global Research, Advocacy and Policy, said under the cover of the relentless bombardment and atrocity crimes in Gaza, Israeli forces have unleashed unlawful lethal force against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, carrying out unlawful killings and displaying a chilling disregard for Palestinian lives. These unlawful killings are a blatant violation of international human rights law and are committed with impunity in the context of maintaining Israel's institutionalized regime of systematic oppression and domination over Palestinians. These cases provide shocking evidence of the deadly consequences of Israel's unlawful use of force against Palestinians in the West Bank. Israeli authorities, including the Israeli judicial system, have proven shamefully unwilling to ensure justice for Palestinian victims. In this climate of near total impunity, an international justice system worth its salt must step in. The Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court must investigate these killings and injuries as possible war crimes of wilful killing and wilfully causing great suffering or serious injury. The situation in Palestine and Israel is a litmus test for the legitimacy and reputation of the Court. It cannot afford to fail it. Since October seventh, across the West Bank, Israeli security forces use of unlawful force during law enforcement operations has been unrelenting, sowing fear and intimidation among entire communities. It has also been used to disperse rallies and protests held in solidarity with Gaza and demanding the release of Palestinian prisoners and detainees. Between October seventh and December thirty one of twenty twenty three, two hundred and ninety nine Palestinians were killed, marking a fifty percent increase compared to the first nine months of the year. At least sixty one to more Palestinians, including thirteen children, have been killed so far in twenty twenty four as of the end of January, according to the numbers reported by OCHA. Israel has a well documented track record of using excessive and often lethal force to stifle descent and enforce its system of apartheid against Palestinians, leading to a historic pattern of unlawful killings committed with impunity. In one illustrative case investigated by Amnesty International, Israeli military and border police forces use excessive force during a thirty hour long raid on nous Chem's refugee camp on October nineteenth. During the operation, Israeli forces killed thirteen Palestinians, including six children, four of them under the age of sixteen, as well as arrested fifteen people. Israeli military sources quoted in media reports said that one Israeli border police officer was killed and n and nine were injured after an improvised explosive device was thrown at them by Palestinians. Residents told Amnesty International that During the operation, Israeli soldiers stormed more than forty residential homes, destroying personal belongings and drilling holes in the walls for sniper outposts. Water and electricity to the camp was cut off, and soldiers used bulldozers to destroy public roads, electricity networks, and water infrastructure. Among those killed during the October nineteenth raid was fifteen year old Taha Muhammad, who was Raeli forces shot dead in front of his house when he came out to check whether Israeli forces had left the area. Taha was unarmed and posed no threat to the soldiers at the time he was shot, and this is based on eyewitness testimony and videos that were reviewed by Amnesty International. A video filmed by one of his sisters and verified by Amnesty's Crisis Evidence Lab chose Taha walking on the street, peaking to ch for the presence of soldiers, and then collapsing on the street outside of his house after the sound of three gunshots. Fatima Taha's sister told Amnesty International they did not give him a chance. They did not give him a chance. In an instant, my brother was eliminated. Three bullets were fired without any mercy. The first bullet hit him in the leg, the second in his stomach, the third in his eye. There were no confrontations, there was no conflict. An eyewitness told Amnesty International that when Toha's father, Ibrahim Mohammad, then attempted to carry his injured son to safety, Israeli forces shot him in the back. A verified video filmed by one of Taha's sisters immediately after the shooting chose Taha's father lying on the ground next to him before limping away. My father raised his hands, showing the soldiers that he had nothing in them. He just wanted to take his son. They shot him with one bulle and my father fell next to Taha. I want to mention that one example, but many, many more have happened since then and before then. Protests and solidarity with Palestinians and Razza have been held frequently across the occupied West Bank since October seventh. Some protesters have been seen throwing stones in response to the presence or forceful intervention of the Israeli forces. The iof's use of lethal force in response to rock throwing is not new, even if the rock throwing is done by children. In theory, lethal force and law enforcement can only be used when there is an eminent threat to life. Its use is not a proportionate response to stone throwing. In another egregious case that happened on October thirteenth in Tokudam, two eyewitnesses described to Amnesty International how Israeli forces stationed at a military watch tower both at one of the main entrances to the town, as well as on the roof of a nearby home, and then they opened fire on a crowd about leekast eighty unarmed Palestinians who were peacefully demonstrating in solidarity with Gaza. Two journalists who were at the scene separately told Amnesty International that they saw Israeli forces firing two tear gas canisters at the crowd and shortly afterwards opening live fire at them without any warning shots. The two journalists saw four people being shot and injured as they tried to run away from the shooting.
Speaker 5: A few minutes.
Speaker 12: Later, Israeli forces then opened fire in the direction of the journalists, even though they were both wearing vests clearly marked as press. They hid behind a wall along with three children and had to remain there for about two hours as the operation continued. During this time, they also witnessed a Palestinian man who was riding past them on a bike being shot by an Israeli soldier. One of the journalists also saw another demonstrator being shot in the head. She described how the victim was suddenly shot and fell to the ground. The obstruction of medical assistants by Israeli forces during operations like this across Palestine is unfortunately a routine practice an Amnesty International has documented this for years, saying it is a part of israel system of apartheid. Under international law, Israeli forces have an obligation to ensure anyone injured by their forces is able to access medical treatment. Amnesty International investigated five occasions where the Israeli forces hindered or prevented those who were seriously injured in demonstrations and raids from receiving critical medical assistance. They also shot at Palestinians trying to help, including medics tending to the wounded. During the raid I mentioned earlier on Nouschem's on October nineteenth, three eyewitnesses, including a paramedic on the scene, said two ambulances were stopped at the entrance of the camp and prevented from reaching the injured. The witnesses said the residents were forced to transport the wounded to a hospital in private cars. Since October seventh, according to the UN, more than four hundred Palestinians have been killed, one hundred and seven of those being children in the West Bank. I also want to mention the settler attacks on Palestinians, not just by the IOF, because these settler attacks have also become routine. Settlers have burned cars and houses, blockaded roads, damaged electricity networks, seas farmland, severed irrigation lines, attacked people in their fields and olive groves, and killed people, all without repercussion. The UN has recorded five hundred and seventy three attacks by settlers in the West Bank since October seventh, with Israeli forces the IOF accompanying them half of the time. At least nine people have been killed by settlers and three hundred and eighty two have been killed by the IOF. According to these numbers by the UN, human rights groups in Israel and the West Bank allege along pattern of violence that has been enabled by the IOF. The army, however, of course, denies this. Human rights groups in Israel and the West Bank allege a long pattern of violence by settlers that is enabled by the occupation forces. The Army of course denies this. As I mentioned earlier, the IOF has a long history of using unnecessary lethal force, and we're seeing that increasingly happen in the West Bank. I want to end this episode with a quote from the Israeli group be se them. They told the BBC. Since the beginning of the war in the Gaza Strip, Israel has continued to implement a lethal open fire policy in the West Bank. Of the almost four hundred Palestinians killed by Israeli forces since October seventh, many did not pose a threat at the level that would justify the use of lethal force. With extremely rare exceptions that usually involve low ranking soldiers, no one is brought to justice for the killing of Palestinians. This reflects Israel's profound disregard for the lives and bodies of Palestinians.
Speaker 4: And that is.
Speaker 12: Our episode for today. As usual, Please please keep talking about Palestine, Please keep raising awareness about this ongoing genocide that's happening in both Gaza and the West Bank. And yeah, just.
Speaker 15: They'll stop talking about it. Pre Palestine.
Speaker 5: Hello, and welcome to It Can Happen Here podcast about things falling apart and people putting them back together. I am back after us for a lengthy court battle. Have been allowed to return to the podcast, which I'm very grateful for. And I'm joined today by John and Haval, two friends of mine who volunteer out here in a come a lot, a lot more than I do. And we're going to explain some developments sort have happened, give you an update on the situation here and let you know how you could help soon. Welcome to the show, both of you.
Speaker 4: Hello, thank you, good to be back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, welcome back.
Speaker 5: If you'd like to just introduce yourselves, like your name, like whatever role you play out here, pronouns, and any affiliation with any organization you feel is relevant.
Speaker 7: So my name is John. I'm someone that lives in the area. This situation just kind of showed up in my backyard. I was kind of forced into it rather than volunteered into it, and I've been dealing with it NonStop since the beginning. Yeah, I'm one of the main sets of booths on the ground.
Speaker 16: Have all I used, they them pronouns, and I organized with direct Action Drumline and Zene Distro doing a lot of mutual aid, which is how I got involved in all this, and also with Alo Gelato helping out on the ground since the beginning with John, pretty much just a little after John started.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so that's what nearly six months, so if you're not counting me, yeah, yeah, wow yeah.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it started in May and then it stopped during the summertime. It picked up again in September, and we've been dealing with it NonStop.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: People have heard briefly from John's father Sam in our May episodes about title forty two, which we did. Yeah, it seems like forever ago. Also, it doesn't seem like very long ago. It's just one big, weird collapsing of time. So last time we spoke, last time I spoke with Haval, we had this situation where we had three distinct concrete camps right adjacent to gaps in the wall, which volunteers were servicing with food, water, warm blankets, were building shelters, and we've heard a lot about those camps. Does one of you guys want to explain how things have changed since then, and really particular in the last six weeks.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it's changed quite radically. Actually, So between the months of September and December, we were servicing these three camps kind of more or less in our immediate area. It was pretty straightforward. Our routine would consist of stopping to each camp two times a day and feeding people, providing them with all of the different things that the US government was not and I kind of wish things were simpler like they were back then. Yeah, So at the end of the month of December, Secretary Blincoln made a visit to Mexico, and I suspect that he pressured the Mexican government to police our border for US. One of the immediate changes that we saw as a result of that was the foundation of two Mexican National Guard camps at two of the gaps that feed into those camps in our area, and that has basically stopped any people coming through those areas. This has not made any less people come into the country. Actually, the numbers have been fairly consistent. It's just that people have been forced to go in through other areas. So there have been many many new oads that have popped up west of US. We have to drive quite a bit further into towards San Diego to go and service those areas, the main one being Sliders, which we're seeing about two hundred people come in sometimes in a night. It's not a good scene. Whereas those three ones that we were originally servicing had dumpsters and porta potties at the very least.
Speaker 4: They still do. They still.
Speaker 5: There exactly, Yeah, moving at the speed of government.
Speaker 7: The new ones don't have that, and people are having to spend Well, how long were the people there most during that crazy, crazy time, just like a few days ago. I think they were up They were there for up to like nineteen hours.
Speaker 5: Yeah, going on a day right now. Yeah, because we first so to backtrack to people, like we heard from a member of the community that there have been people seen held there right at Sliders, And then we went out there and we kept finding like warm fires, like where people have clearly been there and built fires. We could see where people are scavenged to brush, and a.
Speaker 4: Lot of documents ripped up around there. Yeah, the mittill.
Speaker 5: Signs, yeah, yeah, all these signs, and so we were able to use that to suppose that was a place where people were and then I guess was it. Eventually someone stayed the night there and that was what allowed us, or we bumped into people there. Someone bumped into people there.
Speaker 7: Well, we have an acquaintance that's been very helpful towards the cause that lives just close by to there, and he's kind of one of the one that sounded the alarm.
Speaker 5: And from there, it's like you said, it's a lot more difficult, right, Like it's probably a thirty minute drive. It's a steep off road, so like when it rains, it's hard to get to. So that makes it more difficult for us to provide stuff for people there. And like, I guess people should realize that we didn't find out about this because Border Patrol called us and said, like, hey, there are people here without food, water, don't do that. But yeah, that's not a thing that they do.
Speaker 16: We actually did one. Another volunteer, Brendan and I were driving out and we stopped on the road. I don't think you were with us, John, but we started talking to one of the agents because there was two or a group of people from I think Egypt. That was the day everyone did the math exodus from one seven seven. So we stopped and we're talking to one of the agents, and he did slip that there was another camp. He didn't name it, didn't say where it was, he just said it was that way. And that was around the same time that Morgan had mentioned it to us. So it's you know, we kind of pulled it out of this agent because we were talking very nonchalantly with him and he was being generally nice.
Speaker 5: But yeah, they don't tell us about this stuff. Yeah, and we have to find him myself. And what I think that brings up is that there are potentially more, right we think, no, for a fact, we know that there are more. And like I think it's obviously people and people think of California and they think of LA and they think of San Diego and they think of the beach and like pleasant weather. But can you explain, like it's been really cold out here and pretty miserable right with the wet weather we've been having.
Speaker 7: This is a pretty unknown part of southern California. You know, we're a mountainous region just just east of San Diego, within San Diego County. It's uh, I mean it's not it's not crazy high. It's you know, it's about on an average of three thousand or four thousand feet above sea level. But yeah, it gets very windy over here, gets very unpleasant. It often drops down to freezing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's if you're out there all night and you have any shelter and any anyway to get warm, and you're potentially wet from crossing a river or crossing a stream that often pops up in the desert. Can be a really miserable situation. So, like, it's important that these people receive help. And right now it's just through word of mouth and the local community that we're able to find them right and give them that help.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So going forward, like we've seen like this movement of migration west, what does that mean for the ability of volunteers to provide services to migrants and what does it mean for the safety Like you said that the push factors haven't changed, right, So people are still coming here. They still have things to get away from that lead them to come here, but they're not coming the same way where we could so easily help them in these three concrete sites. So like what does that mean.
Speaker 7: Well, it's takes a lot more time out of our day just to drive there. For one, the main one sliders is up a very shitty road. Yeah.
Speaker 16: So I think they call it sliders because it's so muddy and slidy over there when you're.
Speaker 5: Trying to be Yeah, I put someone's head into the roof of my truck driving that's so long ago.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And you know, we're not the only ones that are displeased with this. It's more it makes the life for the Border patrol more difficult, makes life for the emergency medical services more difficult, and of course it makes life or the migrants more miserable. And the owner of the property and the owners of the property in which they're hosting these uh you know, detaining these migrants.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we I think if every single one has been on private property so far, right, and I think we spoke to most of the property owners at this point, and it just seems to come out of the blue at them.
Speaker 4: It's a very.
Speaker 7: Strange permission has never sought.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think one of them is suing the Border Patrol for it. But take months. But obviously it does have an impact on a landscape as well. People understand to be a coal so they're cutting down whatever they can to burn to make shelter, to make their experience a little bit less miserable.
Speaker 7: So that's the Yeah, that's that's kind of a bargaining tool that we try and use when trying to convince the property owners to allow us to build shelters over there. It's just to try and convince them that it'll be good for them to have migrants not be in a position to be forced to have to cut down the vegetation on their land and trash their land, and uh, you know, by allowing us to build shelters on their property and give firewood to the to the migrants that are being held on their property, it's better for them in the long run.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 16: And the first time we went out there, they had created these shelters by just ripping brush and creating these like semi circles that were maybe about a.
Speaker 7: Foot or some of them are very impressive.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah, we had two three feet high and it was nice, you know, and enclosed, so they had some sort of shelter. But yeah, they had to rip all that from the vegetation around the area, which just ruined the ecosystem there, I'm sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And it must tear up your hands as well, like those of slowny bushes and stuffy Yeah, it's not desirable for anyone talking of things aren't desirable. We unforced you have to take an advertising break, so we will do that. Hit some stuff that you don't need, all right, we're bank. Those are some products and services. Now we're going to talk about the way John being very local to hocumber right, how it is like organizing in a rural community, and the way that obviously you have people of very disparate political leanings in the area, and like how you've managed to like phrase what we're doing and to organize in such a way that the very least people aren't like actively pissed off at you.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So, first of all, I'm a Quaker, come from a Quaker family, and first and foremost I am doing this for religious reasons, and I like to try and remind people of that. So when people try and come at me with anti immigrants sentiment, I just try and remind them that you know, this is this is basically what you're supposed to do according to the Bible, and you know, to hate on any of these people is very Unchristian. And when I do so, it's very hard for them to come at me with any of that stuff. But still yes, for the most part, the community over here have not been very helpful towards They have not been very enthused with all these migrants coming in, and you know, they've been very regrettably misinformed about it all. They're still looking at various crazy sources for their news, like YouTube channels and stuff like that, and it's kind of kind of hard to believe. It's like, you guys live in the area. You can just drive straight out there. You can talk to me a person that you guys know, Yet you still choose to look up all these various whack jobs on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've had something of a problem with the YouTube people. Right, there's a whole info a whole ecosystem of right wing YouTubers that I think probably most folks don't know about, even if you take an interest in other like right wing conspiracy stuff, as a whole ecosystem of right wing border YouTubers who have been I.
Speaker 16: Mean, describe what you've seen, right, We've had like a new right wing fascist out every day. It seems there's Oreo Express, Anthony Aguero has been out here.
Speaker 7: JLR investigator JLR, Roger Ogden here the other day. Classic it's kind of calmed down though in the last couple of days. But there was a period in late February where it seemed like they were coming out every single day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just a different guy in a different lifted jeep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly just after that whole border what was it that.
Speaker 5: Take back our Border?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I got them all rouled up to come out.
Speaker 7: Actually, what really set them off to be aware of all of this is when Fox did their big piece out here and they were out here for multiple days. Yeah, that's what kind of like turned on the tap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's very common anyway you go on the border, right Like Fox has a border reporter, Bill Malugan. People will be familiar with Bill Malugan from publishing a story in twenty twenty which suggested the police officer had a tampon used tampon put in his Starbucks coffee, which was demonstrably false and didn't really very much look like a tampon. You can google more about that if that's interesting to you. But like someone who preps should have lost a genalistic credibility at that point. It's now doing border reporting for and this is like when I speak to people all along the border right here, Arizona, Texas. Yeah, the stuff that Fox puts out very strongly correlates with anti migrant sentiment, both both locally and with like these these folks coming in and streaming and they're always asking for donations, right, Like it's not a then they're they're not like advert funded or like publicly funded like that, they're funded by donations for what.
Speaker 16: Yeah, well, I forget the channel there. Aguero is on that he's constantly asking for the nations and like, oh, thank you, you just dropped ten dollars, so thank you for the five spot.
Speaker 3: Other of like they're sitting.
Speaker 4: In his car.
Speaker 7: That's that's what they're grifters, That's that's what they're out there for. Every It seems like a third of their broadcast time is spent asking for donations, right yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like a like a charity stream, except it's the opposite of charity, I guess exactly, So pay me to do hateful things streams. Yeah, And I think like that as we get as we look between now and November, I think it's really important that like the border will be a topic that people who never come to the border will argue about constantly between now and November, right, Fox News will have reporting on it, NBC will have reporting on it, like and both of them will have reporting that isn't anchored on what we see every single day out here, which is whatever actual people from all over the world who are having a very difficult time right here and need a help, right and we're doing what we can to help them. So I guess what, Like people who are listening to this will in the next I don't know how long it is to November, what six months, seven eight months, they'll have conversations with their family members, with their friends, with people in bars, whatever, regarding the border. What do you think they should know about, like what we're seeing and like what the because there's this whole border invasion narrative, right, and then like this is not an invasion. We were just out joking with some people and helping them get the firewood prepped. Like these people know threat.
Speaker 7: I think people often make the mistake of considering this issue to be a political issue. It really is just a humanitarian issue. Vast majority of the people that I've talked to have very legitimate reasons for needing to come into this country, whether they're from Ecuador, you know, you know the situation over there recently there were gangsters that took over a TV station, Or in Guatemala, where I spoke to a man who told me that his children with college degrees can make enough family money to feed their families. Or even in Afghanistan where people have literally had the Taliban threatened their families lives.
Speaker 4: The same with and the Iatola escaping.
Speaker 7: A Kurdish people in Turkey. I mean, the list goes on. Or you know climate refugees like the Mauritanians that we just spoke with earlier. Yes, they're they're coming and they have really reasonable grounds for asylum over here.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and it wouldn't be such and then quote unquote invasion if they were just allowed to walk through the port of entry. This it's this process is so silly because they crossed. They could just do this all at the port of entry. They really could be the policies just choose not to do this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but that's the part that really doesn't make sense, is like we're letting them in anyways, Why do we need to make their lives so uncomfortable you.
Speaker 5: Know and dangerous?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 4: Dangerous?
Speaker 5: I mean, John, you and I were on a water drop maybe two months ago, now, six weeks ago in slightly west of here, right, Yeah, do you remember we were driving down to where we're going to get off and we met that family from Guinea. There was like, do you want to just describe what you saw because I think it was like, at least for me, that was like I've seen it a lot, but it still emotionally affected me.
Speaker 7: So that Yeah, there was a there was a Guinean woman and her kid. I think he might have been like what four or something three three? Yeah, and there was also a Nigerian woman and you know, Nigerian speak English and Guineans speak friend and they weren't really able to communicate with one another, and yet they were still traveling side by side because they they just teamed up because they were in a desperate situation together. One of them was was she and sandals.
Speaker 5: One of them didn't have shoes at all.
Speaker 7: Didn't have shoes at all. Right, Yeah, yeah, it's six weeks is a long time, you know what you're doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you see horrible things every day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's been a very eventful time. Yeah, every day feels like a news story. Yeah, And they just kind of sat on the side of the road and were out of breath, and they were just basically asking us to help them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember the little girl, but because we were obviously concerned with the lady who didn't have shoes and trying to help like bandage her feet and stuff. But then I remember the little girls wasn't saying anything, and I suddenly realized, Oh, this little girl is probably very cold. She was like, you know, early, like mildly hypotheromic. Yeah, so I had her wrapped up in a little mile blanket with me to warm her up. And it's just, I know it just for one reason or another, that was a moment where I was like, why on earth are we doing this to a three year old? Like what possible reason could there be? Yeah, this three year old girl to have hypothermia here in like the richest country in the world.
Speaker 7: Who could possibly agree that this is a good thing?
Speaker 5: Yes, and yeah.
Speaker 7: Or another experience I had in the beginning of February where there was this Colombian man who was in tears who approached me and told me that his daughter was very very ill, and he dragged me over to a porta potty and she was there bundled up with like nine blankets or something, not really responding to my questions. He was trying to contact nine to one one, but the responder on a nine to one one or the dispatcher didn't speak Spanish, so I had to communicate with them and navigate the whole situation. Turns out she did have hypothermia. Yeah, but the ambulance would not take him along with the mother and the child to the hospital. So again it's another case of family separation. Who knows what might have happened. They would have gotten processed separately. He could have ended up in Louisiana and she could have ended up in Riverside or somewhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And at that point, once again, it's not the government or your taxes that were pay for those people to be reunified. Right, that's work that's done by NGOs in modern tree organizations exactly. Yeah, despite the massive amount of money we spend on And we were just talking the other day about how they the architectural marvel of sections of the border wall right where they've poured concrete at like a forty five plus degree angle and spent millions of dollars for every yard of that, and we don't have enough money to give this three year old girl a blanket or to get that family back together.
Speaker 7: It's pathetic, it's it's yeah, it's mind boggling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even today with that dude from Brazil.
Speaker 16: He came up to me when we first got here there was starving, wanted food, water, and he.
Speaker 4: Was like, I'm sick, I have a fever.
Speaker 16: So I hooked him up with some cold medicine that we had in our medkit, and then later when we went back to do the second round of feeding, he got more food and he was like, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: We're starving.
Speaker 16: We were told to when we were dropped off to wait in the mountains at six pm to six am, so they were just hadn't really I don't know if they were on the American side yet or how that worked. Didn't really describe it, but had to wait in the mountains before crossing, and so people are getting sick out there. We ran into that dude with the dog bite on at one seven seven. He was just so we we always go check this one camp because there hasn't been out since Squadi and Snal have put their camp on the other side, there hadn't been a whole lot of people crossing in this area, but we go check it periodically. In one morning, yeah, we saw this man hobbling towards us as we're driving down the road with a stick, and we're like, why is he walking like this? Pulled over and he was bitten by a dog. He said he went to take a drink of water and some dogs attacked him, two dogs, I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he'd described it to the wolf, right wolf. Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah, So we called the MS and they picked them up and took them to the hospitals.
Speaker 5: Right, big, you hadn't been there. It's a long way to walk with a dog bite your leg.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And who knows, Bordovich might not even have ems them out. They might have just tried to process them with the dog bite. Yeah, could have gotten infected or infectoris. Yeah.
Speaker 7: But just to go back on the mutual aid question that you had earlier, it hasn't all been negative. It's actually been a really great experience in which I've met really great people from all kinds of walks of life who have just joined together because they see a problem and know that they're the only they're the only ones that can make a difference. And it is a sure easy way to be really important and make a difference in other people's lives. You don't really need to have much more than a good heart and a willingness to work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like, I think we should talk about that more because not that some of us had some prior life experience, right working with refugees or migration, But I think most of us just were people who were like, get, this isn't right, and I am able to help, and so I'm going to help. So can you talk about like how people can help? And then, like you said, I think I've actually got a lot out of this, and I feel more affirmed in my belief that we can look out after each other without the need to control each other, and like we don't necessarily need people with guns and badges to create a society that cares for people who need taken care of. And so perhaps you could describe like how people can help, and then what it is that you've got out of this that keeps you wanting to do this.
Speaker 7: Well. First of all, Yeah, we don't have a clear structure of authoritative structure over here. We take ideas as a collective. Different people have contributed different things. There's a woman that really nailed down the PB and J making system, and we've all just been following her lead. Some people came up with the idea of having a cell phone charging station that was you, and it's just the list goes on and if you wanted to help, you could just come by to the border, come to one of these sites and just start distributing food or teaming up with us somehow, or by donating to the GoFundMe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's the good fund me?
Speaker 7: John, So let's go fundme that was set up by my dad. I don't actually know what it's like.
Speaker 4: How Cumba Migrant Aid you.
Speaker 5: To go fund me? How Cumba Migrant Aid. It comes up.
Speaker 16: Samuel Schultz, I think isy Samuel Schultz.
Speaker 5: So you'll know because it has like fifty thousand dollars on it and like maybe seven woods as a description. That's like GOOGLEMBA because not much else is going down here, I guess. But yeah, people can help that way, and we've had people come who listened. We had two people this morning right who had heard about it on the podcast and it come and helped. Yeah, and it made a really really great difference.
Speaker 16: Yeah, they camped out at the Sliders and really held it down, which is really important. I mean for some of us, we you know, like John and I, we kind of do like a morning shift where we get up really early and make sure to do everything that we need to do, prepping sandwiches, checking on all the camps. But a lot of people come in in the middle of the night. Sliders had people come in what at midnight or one am?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, all throughout. A group came at midnight, a group came at like one am, and then there were also more that came at four am.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 16: So like having someone on site camping, you know, making sure that people's needs are met and that if any emergencies take place, that they're taken care of, and it's just that smiling face when they get here.
Speaker 4: It makes a huge difference.
Speaker 16: Like that dude from Brazil, like earlier he was saying to me, he was like thank you so much, Like this is like this is humanity right here, Like I'm a human and I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, yes, we will treat you like humans here.
Speaker 7: Like at the end of the day, you know, these people coming through Central America and Mexico, they go through so much, you know, extortion, people ripping them off, just feeling unwelcome throughout that whole voyage. Yeah, just having a group of people welcome them into the country and treat them with dignity is worth more than any bottle of water sandwich that we can give them. And you know, that's that's the main thing that we're doing. I would say, I.
Speaker 5: Want to emphasize that people can help in so many ways that you can send us stuff, you can send us money, or you can just show up. If you just have a weekend, that's totally fine, or a day that's totally fine, or if you just want to come and make sandwiches, that's totally fine. Like it, We're a very diverse group of people, and some people have had more time than others. But yeah, everyone I think is valued, and like you said, I think like we're the way that we organize without anyone, like we organized horizontally, has allowed us to be so much better. Like do you remember the day there was a day when we ran out of plates and we were like down in Willow and it was just it was like chaos. And then someone who just arrived that day was like, oh, what if we put the beans in a sandwich? Bag and give people. That was actually Peter, who's back now after going on m Stringer for a while. But yeah, like if we had been like no, I mean we've been doing this for long and then those people wouldn't have got fed, right, But because we were willing to listen, then the people got fed, and like we were all happier because the people got fed, right, Like it worked better that way. So like as things change, because it like it. Border patrol have said explicitly that they're trying to push people west, right, what do you think, like, what do we need going forward? What do you see like the situation being and like it's it would be good to explain the context of like the changing seasons here as well.
Speaker 7: Yes, so I think what we're going to see more of is people that are crossing in unorthodox areas, more people that are hopping the fence, more people that are cutting holes in the walls, just popping up all over the place. So yeah, it would be great to have eyes along the border, people that are willing to travel up and down along the border to find out where these people are coming through, because for the most part, we don't know a lot of times where these people are coming through. There are a couple of new oads open air detention sites that are relatively close to us that we can't find even.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, like maybe if we had a super fancy drone we could find them, or just boots on the ground.
Speaker 4: A nice off road vehicle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, then these are all things that cost money that we don't have. But like we've all put lots of miles on our trucks and lots of miles on our boots trying to help out.
Speaker 4: My exhaust is falling off all these bumps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my transfer case to coop beating. But like, yeah, if we had more people, some of us could focus on feeding people here because there was how many people were there when we just left, now one hundred and twenty something like that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh no, actually probably more if you count the new group. I think you know what a conservative estimate would have been maybe one hundred and forty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that's we'd made one hundred and forty sandwich used to feed them today, and we'd chopped firewood and taken that out and we'd be given all that out right. That was after the same thing at breakfast time. That doesn't leave much time to go meander along the border and look for another site. So if we have more people, we could do that and that would be really valuable.
Speaker 16: Also if you have connection to firewood, Yeah, if you're a person who can bring us a lot of firewood.
Speaker 4: We have one homie right now and he's breaking his back for us. So yeah, that's a definite big need out here. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Is there other stuff like that that people who maybe aren't here but have connections to or they could they could send that's particularly needed.
Speaker 7: A nice off road vehicle, got one lying around? Firewood is definitely a big thing. That's that's a huge need. Yeah, it's getting really cold up here, and especially in like sliders too. I think it's higher in elevation, so.
Speaker 5: So exposed to there's nothing between you and the wind.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's very cold out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: But and and just other things that are that are easier for us to get, but we just constantly need such as breads, blankets, bread.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, tent all these things. Right, The wind and the sun destroys everything that we've stokepiled after a while, and we have to keep reinventing the wheel. And then sometimes borter patrol destroys our stuff as well, or sometimes some chubs come and destroy our stuff, which which.
Speaker 4: Oh, the chads destroying our stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we should talk about the destruction of the shelters before we finish, I guess, just to end on a sad note. What was happy not because we built them again and the fine. So there were some shelters I think mostly they were ones that had been built while they were ones that had been built volunteers and John, you saw what happened to the shelters, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So we built some shelters at one of the sites, at one of the main sites. You know, it was very simple just by having of plywood as the frame holding it up and then kneeling down some tarps on it with batons.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 7: It was a nice thing. It stood up to the heavy winds that we have here very well.
Speaker 5: It's incomparably better to not having a shelter out there.
Speaker 16: Oh yeah, it's a completely different They're instantly use once people cross, and it's awesome to see like adults that are alone will get out and force family shelters like yeah, you get it first for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and yeah, we built those. It was working out good then one day, the Border Patrol showed up or a company that was subcontracted by them and demolished them all using skiploaders and bulldozers and such. We showed up the following day, we rebuilt all the shelters, and we're really happy about it.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: It was kind of a big fuck you to them. You can tear down our stuff, but we'll just come back and build more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but then.
Speaker 7: What was it like a three four days later or the next day maybe i'm not the next day, two days it was close. Yeah, some guys just showed up and they tore it all up with hammers.
Speaker 4: They finishing a tiny little finishing.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Luckily they didn't really come equipped like maybe with the with the tools, they didn't really know what they Yeah, I think it's fair to say that. But still it's it's annoying when you've put the time into building it, right, and Border Patrol didn't destroy our contractors didn't destroy the shelters. At first, we were like, oh, maybe they're not using this, but there are one hundred and forty people there right now, like in the shelters that got rebuilt for a third time. So like, I guess even we do appreciate people donating, and we understand that people's resources are scarce, and like the economy is bad and the rent is too damn high, et cetera. But like every time we build up enough stuff, we have to like we're always running uphill because like stuff just gets destroyed either by the by the weather or by the border patrol or by volunteer Border patrol judge, Like we could, I guess, desperately need your help. And like at some point the news cycle will move on from the border, and that doesn't mean that we will be able to move on from having people to help here, right, because like John said, there were people and people always deserve to be treated with dignity. Is there anything else that you guys think that people should know about the situation?
Speaker 4: Here we wrap up, it's kind of chill.
Speaker 3: It is really nice, like being here.
Speaker 5: I come here because it makes me happy, and my friends are here.
Speaker 16: Yeah, And like the slider's location is located in a really awesome like you can see down just past the border wall there's like a nice little train track that used to go from US into Mexico, I guess, And just beyond that there's like sheep on a farm yea in the distance like rolling hills, the clouds come through, and like say, it's a really beautiful place to be and to hang out. And a lot of the locals that don't hate what we're doing are very nice. The people at the hotel are very supportive.
Speaker 7: And yeah, we're a great group, really good people. It's always really fun to do anything like this. People are generally enamored by our project and want to be involved and come back a second time. I mean we're kind of like cowboys. I mean we're doing this all on our own, driving up and down, looking at the sites, looking around, and that whole responsibility is on our shoulders.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it feels good to take responsibility.
Speaker 7: So definitely we're doing this.
Speaker 4: It's like no one else will, so yeah, we'll just do it.
Speaker 5: Like that's fine. It's very like it reminds me of the punk scene growing up, but like it's a big important thing. Get Like you said, every national news network has been down here, every drifting streamer has been down here. But the end of the day, it's a few dozen random people who are actually the ones making sure that people don't die here. For all the government attention, for all the millions of dollars spend it.
Speaker 7: It's just us, Yeah, working on a fraction of the butt. I mean it costs them more to fly a helicopter for a few hours than we ever.
Speaker 5: Spent in our entire go fund b Yeah, and yeah, like we get it done. We're very efficient, I guess in that sense. But yeah, we would love more people. People have come because I listen to podcasts, and that also, like just for me personally means the world to me. Like most of the time we just talk into a microphone and then you can't really see who you're talking to unless unless you go on like social media, and that's not always the best reflection of humanity. So like it really means the world to me, and that someone like listens to this when they're driving to work or you know, going on a job or whatever they're doing, and it's like, no, I will I will go and I will help, because I think that is how we solve so many of our problems. Like there is a massive problem with people not being able to afford rent living on the street in this country, and we solve it in the same way by just showing up for each other.
Speaker 16: And there's also different ways to get plugged in, Like if the desert's not your thing, it doesn't. I mean, this is like where the process starts as far as like the spectrum of the whole border crisis or not crisis, but the whole border humanitarian situation we have going on here.
Speaker 4: So this is what we're doing out here. But there's also airport runs.
Speaker 16: A lot of them get ditched in the airports, so I think we all we got SD and maybe M dev and center kind of hold down they do airport runs Border Patrol just I guess at night they don't drop them off like after ten or something.
Speaker 4: They don't drop them off at the IRIS station. They'll just drop them straight off at the airport.
Speaker 16: So they need help being fed. A lot of them don't have plane tickets. They need to kind of some you know, people need blankets because they have to sleep there. So well, I mean we all we got is great for that you can plug in with them, and I think Alochlado and who else is it M Deef as well, that's doing the IRIS street releases. So when the border patrol just releases them on the street, like a lot of people just getting a cab and go they have the resources, they can do that. They're already planned. But some people don't have any money, or they got robbed on the way here, so they have nothing. They need a lot of help. They need to figure out where to go. They need a place to stay. So there's the street releases, there's the airport, there's I think that's kind of.
Speaker 7: Or by just helping with shelters and organizations in whatever city you happen to be living in. You know, the majority of the migro well, not the majority, but a very typical answer migrants give me when I ask them where in the United States they're going to? Is New York City or Chicago or any of.
Speaker 5: These major Yeah, Lincoln, Nebraska the other day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gonna be Idaho. Have fun.
Speaker 7: It was beautiful.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: There was a guy have al and I met from a minority ethnic group in Russia. We met in September. I remember one of those first really cold nights and I was talking to this person and they were in Pennsylvania and I checked in with him a few weeks ago and they're like, happily living in Pennsylvania. Can't understand the word anyone else is saying. It's nice to see, and yeah, you can help those people live in whatever community you're in, And like if you're further along the border, there's paha Samaritans. There's no massive worthdays. There's humane borders to songs Samaritans as well. Right, yeah, all along the border, you know, there are the there are lots of good people in Texas, right it's a sidewalk school and Blintamoros, the people at the National Butterfly Center who are very nice people who we've heard from before, Like all along the border and like all around this country, there were there are things you can do to help, and I want to reinforce it. It's not like this penurious thing we do that's miserable and we all get together and cry every night. Like we do have a nice time, even though we have seen some really stressful things. Like we all look after one another and hold space when people do need help or extra time to process something. But it's a very supportive community and we support each other through lots of other things, like aside from this, and I think a lot of people in general in the twenty first century America struggle with isolation. And that's a thing that capitalism does to people, right, it isolates us from each other and so hopefully, like I think this is a solution for me. This has been a really positive thing, but like generally my sense of hope.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and like what we're doing this kind of does it's disaster humanitarian relief effort. It's kind of with the way the climate is going in the world in climate, climate are going.
Speaker 5: To get less common.
Speaker 16: Yeah, this will just be getting more common. And like this kind of like preparing and building community and like this disaster scenario is gonna yeah, definitely be more in commons.
Speaker 4: And it's not that easy to do.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's not that hard to do now, you know, you just got to have the intention and then you just got to get together and do it. That's all. That's all you really need to do.
Speaker 5: Don't think that it's like this. If someone had said to us, what plus or minus fifty thousand people probably have come through. I have no idea on the numbers, but somewhere around there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, probably more than that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if we like I remember in May when we cleaned up the first o ads, when we were like when I first met your mum and dad, John, we were cleaning up the first o ads and we were like, wow, that was a horrible thing that happened. That was really fucked. If someone had said, right, well, between now and next March, fifty thousand people will come through here and it's mostly going to be you guys who are here picking up trash, and that's that's all.
Speaker 4: It's going to be.
Speaker 5: Like it's on you. It would have been it would have seemed overwhelming, right, But I don't think people should feel afraid to confront these big problems because like between the group of people who we've said would hear, we've been able to confront this problem and make it survivable and treat people with dignity and bring some dignity and humanity into a situation where there wasn't any, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And there's a role for everybody. No matter what you do.
Speaker 16: You can find your niche of what you know, you makes you feel good, or something that you're good at, you know. Yeah, it's finding the little fascists that destroyed our things online and doing all that online footwork, or it's building shelters, or it's making PB and J's or.
Speaker 5: Our friends made out website and made a really good website website, yeah, or even Yeah, just.
Speaker 16: Being someone that speaks multiple languages is a huge need out here, especially I mean Spanish is pretty common, but the harder languages, like I mean Mandarin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, if you speak Mandarin and then you reach out to us and when we can call you, then that would be huge, right. They could make real in a medical emergency that could be a life or death thing. So there are a ton of ways to help and re encourage people to kind of go up to they can. Where can people follow along with YouTube? Do you have like social media or anything that you want to plug?
Speaker 10: I don't.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna keep mine frivving the world beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 16: One of the how I got involved in this is through members of a drum line that I am part of, so we show up for protests, have been since twenty twenty direct Action drum Line.
Speaker 4: On Instagram.
Speaker 16: We post a lot of different stuff from organizing for Palestine to you know, we were doing a lot of Black Lives Matter stuff early in twenty twenty and now it's you know, kind of cross mixed with border aids since I've been out here, So we occasionally will make posts so you can follow along there.
Speaker 4: Alo Gelato is a.
Speaker 16: Good one to follow on social media inco Paul Wellness on Instagram Borderlands Relief Collective.
Speaker 4: I'm sure a lot of the people listening already follow a lot of these people. But yeah, there's a network through all of that.
Speaker 16: And so once you start following one or the other, we all tag each other and we share each other's stuff so you can get involved and figure out what's going on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the is it bored? What's the website for? That's a great resource? Order ay dot get help dot io. I think if you give it a Google somewhere or somewhere around that you'll find it. It is a good website. And like if you are facing similar issues in your community or wherever you are, whatever it is. Like, we've definitely made a lot of mistakes and we've learned a lot, and so we've tried to document the things that we've learned so that you guys don't have to reinvent the wheels somewhere else. Right, Like, you know, you can be an efficient PB and jamaker just like us.
Speaker 4: Right, learn Suirly's technique.
Speaker 5: All right, thank you so much, guys, I really appreciate your time that question.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Jeers Hey We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 3: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 12: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.