Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode canad spoilers your Skeleton Crew episode seven, the penultimate episode of season one of the Skeleton Crew, so watch that before you listen to this. Hello, my name is Jasoncepcion and I'm Merdy Night, and welcome back to Extavision, the podcast where we dive deep is your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture coming from my art podcast where we're bringing you three episodes a week, every Tuesday, every Thursday, with a third episode one of the other days.
Speaker 2: Yes, usually we have episodes every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, but we're coming to you on a Friday today and next Friday to cover Skeleton Crew. In fact, next week we'll have something new for you on the feed every single day. We'll have on normal episodes Tuesday and Thursday, news drop on Wednesday, our reactions to Skeleton Crew finale on Friday, but first a very special secret announcement on Monday. And in today's episode, we're all about the airlock, stepping out of it into a very scary ship filled with pirates to talk about Skeleton Crew episode one oh seven.
Speaker 3: We're going to be in so much trouble.
Speaker 1: Up next airlock. First, before we get to episode seven, the fires in Los Angeles are ongoing. I am Rosie, you are still there. I have left because we were kind of in between several fires in the East Side and in Eco Park where we are, and the air was just absolutely horrendous. Yeah, it is truly, like terrible. What is happening. The amount of like just creative community people who have like lost our homes, it's truly it's just insane. So we're thinking about everybody there right now and hope everybody's being safe. And then Magas started the fires. Okay, episodes cut that out of.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: From I've been hearing still hear it? Okay, Episode seven, Skelet and crew were going to be in so much trouble. We open in the woods on at Atten. It's nighttime, very dark. The parents are setting up the device that they had been kind of like scheming to make in the previous episode that will allow them to communicate beyond the barrier, which is a thing that is strictly forbidden. You cannot do this, but they're doing it. So they're trying to set it up, but then the security droid show up and they're like, stop or you will be stunned the parents. It's just a mad scramble. Now they're running with the device to try and set it up somewhere away from the droids, but they're getting dropped one after another. Whim's dad gets a hold of it. After Neil's mom gets dropped by a stun he makes a break for it. He gets stunned. Now Farah under Secretary Farah Fern's mom has it. She manages to evade the droids, turn on the device, and it floats up into the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: I just want to say, yeah, I just want to say quickly, I'm very happy for these children, but also like I'm gonna be working on it in therapy. Like my parents would never get stunned for me. I just feel like they got really good parents. I'm like, every single parent got stunned, and I was like, Wow, you guys would just take that for your kids.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I think my mom would get stunned for me, But I'm also pretty sure that she'd be more mad at me than anything. Like I think she'd be like, fucking stay there, stay in space, don't come back. Yeah you did it. Meanwhile, the kids are traveling through hyperspace, discussing, you know, just like how mad or not mad their parents are going to be, what it's going to be like when they go back, how boring it's going to be. But also Wim is like, I should never have done this. I should never have boarded this ship. I should never have pressed the button that launched the ship. Neil and Fern come up and they're like, no, it's come on, it was fun. We had a great time. This was fun. Come on, don't say that this was great. People did die.
Speaker 3: They don't mention die, which I feel like Wim is more aware of.
Speaker 2: I feel like Wim used to be the whimsical, like.
Speaker 3: Oh, let's go on an adventure, what's the worst that could happen?
Speaker 2: But now he has seen the worst and he's like, people die, that's the worst people do.
Speaker 1: People get blown up, they get killed by like ship cables as they snap. There's an ongoing war on one of the other secret planets where we walk still on a fucking raid. Yeah, it was crazy. Meanwhile on British as Ship Brutus is like they the ship Brutus's pirate ship arrives in orbit around a planet that looks like a toxic soup. It looks very looks very dangerous to enter the atmosphere. Definitely die, absolutely, And he's like. Brutus is like, hey, John, what the fuck is this? Like here's your coordinates and this does not look like any kind of like yeah, treasure planet or anything. John is like, well, come on, guys, like think about it. Of course the planet is going to be disguised. Why would it not be found by now unless it was disguised. And I'll tell you what, I'll go down there. Sm thirty three This is what the what are the captains? What attack Renod's captain's logs say, and then SM thirty three like does some limerick that's like yeah, that basically says at ad In is disguised. So John's like, well, you know, I'll go down there. Give me a ship. I'll go down now. Brutus is like, well, hold on, you're not. We'll send somebody in, but you're not going in and then potentially absconding with like the treasure will send a guy. Uh, they send a guy in and he immediately immediately, so Jod is about to get thrown into the airlock like he's Brutus has him by like the.
Speaker 3: Super horizon like he's gonna die and.
Speaker 1: He's they're gonna hit the button and send them out. But then the kids come out of hyperspace right near the pirate ship, and Jod, either thinking on his feet or making you know, bullshitting by this by the skin of his teeth, says, oh, yeah, here's you know what it is. We need to get the kids ship because the kid ship is somehow the key to getting into at AT. More on that. After a word from our sponsors, yeah, and we're back, the pirates are like, okay, this, we'll go with this. They tractor beam the ship, the kids hidden inside the ship make a stand. They grab Brutus with like one of the big like cargo loading crane arms from their You're.
Speaker 3: In like a claw machine. Yeah, but when.
Speaker 2: You pick someone up there obviously going to be like brutalized and probably paralyzed by this klaw.
Speaker 1: Also, this claw arm is like I wish the claw machine at like Chuck E Cheese and various other establishments, was as manipulatable as I was.
Speaker 3: Going to dexterity.
Speaker 1: It's incredible, Like they just snatch up Brutus, who immediately goes very quiet. I think he's very quiet. Yeah, and and the kids are like, hey, you know, let us go release the tractor beam or else we will like snap Brutus's spine. And again, Brutus has not spoken or moved since, so I think it's he might be done. But John is like, Okay, I know what to do. He walks up to the crane and then just shoots Brutus, which is incredibly shocking.
Speaker 2: Incredibly shocking, incredibly brutal rip to the beautiful wolf captain. Yeah, Brutus, I know that the monster fucker's out there. They were loving him. I also just want to say fuck. They somehow managed to still make this feel like a heel time for John, even though we know that he has been morally complex throughout We've seen him do lots of terrible stuff. But this is the moment when he shoots a guy in the head so that the kids lose leverage, where you're like, oh, oh, this guy is like he would kill these kids, absolutely, not accidentally, like he would just kill them on purpose.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's certainly threatened to do it, and I think that at this point you kind of gotta take him at his word. But John is in charge now, John is in charge of the pirates and he orders the pirate you know, like I guess by law of by pirate law, he is now the pirate castic and he orders the pirates on board to find the kids. Meanwhile, the communicator device is finally like ascended through the toxic soup into orbit and it begins its broadcast and it's a beautiful, touching, heartfelt plea from the parents telling them that like they're not in their children are not in trouble. They love them very much and they just want them to come home. And also here's the instructions on how exactly to come home. And that's very faithful because like the pirates are watching this as well.
Speaker 2: I do feel like that they didn't think that because like anyone could find this.
Speaker 1: That was a little bit like how are they is it just like a broadband, like everybody in the area is getting them?
Speaker 3: We see it.
Speaker 2: Also like it's this I want to know. I wanted like a really intricate, like weird nonfiction style book about Star Wars hologram technology.
Speaker 3: Because it's just everywhere.
Speaker 2: It's everywhere they're using it, whether it's secret they're using it, whether they're you know, having a conversation between two very famous politicians. They're using it on a USB drive to get Obi Wan Kenobi to come and help you. Like it's just everywhere, and I was, you know, a great use of it here, But I want to know, like how does it work and what was the exact plan here? Like how did they know the kids were gonna be able to see it? And did it just broadcast to every ship because in that case, I guess they could have said it to maybe just broadcast if it found the Onyx cinder.
Speaker 1: We could also go we could be yeah, but they don't know about the Onyx cinder right now.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: I guess we could well. But then again, as is explained later by s F thirty three, tax stole a ship from at Atton, So somehow, I guess they could know that that was an at Aton ship that was hidden and broadcast on Here's you want to get Here's my super Like there's no basis for this, but I'm going to get extremely nerdy because they've been cut off from galactic society for like a couple of centuries maybe or for a long time, one hundred years or more. They're using like an old technology that most ships wouldn't read anymore because it's like a two hundred year old signal or something like. That's my completely bullshit Reason's a good idea to do this, Okay, So whim now attempts to retake the ship that the attempt lasts about five seconds.
Speaker 3: My poor beautiful women.
Speaker 1: What a courageous young man he is. But he is like nine, so that's not going to go well against like a crew of hardened adult pirates. But here's the issue. Because Jod has laid to Brutus's ship, the captain c of the Mintship, the kid Ship is currently up for grabs, meaning SM thirty three's loyalty is currently up for grabs. So there follows a quick like merry go round of claims. Jod claims the ship, but then Fern is like, I unclaim Jod's claim and I reclaim the ship for kids only. I love that, like, And then Sir three is like, you know what, that sounds pretty? That's close.
Speaker 2: He says, close enough, baby, and then just punches John in the face, which I adored.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Jod goes out cold. The rest of the pirates get laid the fuck out, and the kids go to fly home, so they take off from the landing bay of the pirate ship under a hail of blaster fire Jod. I will say, It's unclear where Jod is at this moment, but you feel like.
Speaker 3: YO might think he's not on the ship, right he that he.
Speaker 1: Got thrown off with the other pirates, and that like somehow he's there, and maybe he's in one of the craft that went in pursuit of the kids. Anyway, they go flying down through the toxic soup, past all like the planetary defenses that don't attack them but look really really scary and are certainly blowing up all the other little pirate attack craft around them. Kids watching more people die as this happens.
Speaker 2: And the US this is like they are really getting the true Star Wars galaxy experience up close.
Speaker 1: Baby. Finally they get through the toxic soup and there it is at Aton, looking great and beautiful. The at navigation grid takes over, so SM thirty three is like no longer piling the ship. It's being landed by the planet's own defense grid, at which point we realize Jod somehow is still on board. I don't did they leave him on board did he sneak back on board after but I think he's snuck.
Speaker 2: So we saw them flying away and he kind of ran afterwards after them.
Speaker 3: But I'm guessing, yeah, somehow you know this man.
Speaker 1: He like Jedi jumped, Jedi jumped.
Speaker 3: He had a secret hat he went through.
Speaker 2: We don't know, but it will be interesting to see if they touch on that or if this will become like the famous Tyler Perry movie starring none other than Cookie from Empire, where everyone wants to know how did she.
Speaker 3: Get back on the boat again? Is this gonna be our version of that? Is this gonna be how did he.
Speaker 2: Get back on the ship? I don't know what we'll have to see, so yeah, I'm interested. But he did get back. That's not looking good for the kids.
Speaker 1: So he immediately decapitates SM thirty three with his lightsaber, rip to that droid. The rats inside his head are fine, but still, and then he takes he would be absolutely terrifyingly takes the kid's prisoner, and.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because he chomps him, chomps off SM's head with a lightsaber and he's like, guys.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he's like you you're gonna follow my lead? You're gonna do what I say or I am gonna kill your parents when I get to.
Speaker 3: That into tiny pieces about.
Speaker 1: The most awful thing that I think you could hear, so Jod truly an unbelievable heel turn. We're gonna do a heel turn and get more money for the show back after this word from our sponsors, and we're back. Okay, the ship lands and there's this really cool system I guess by which ship's arriving to like load up on coins, go get taken directly down to like the mint itself. Yeah, through like this elevator that takes you from the planet service. So they land and then the ship gets taken out to the mint. Jod makes up the story about being a representative from the Republic that who I guess is scheduled to arrive at someone, which is hilarious.
Speaker 2: Because it's like droids don't give him like improv propt like this man does not need them, like ask can you get an idea or something like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I actually think world building wise, I think this is the most interesting part is that there is a representative from the Republic.
Speaker 3: Who knows that and still like this who knows they're making these old galactic credits.
Speaker 2: I think that is very interesting because what is this feeding into the economy of the rest of the galaxy.
Speaker 3: But yeah, droids, don't don't do it. Don't just be tell asking this question.
Speaker 1: Let's do our fucking jobs like drawids.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Also, with the droids being such a big part, and we've seen them, you know, stunning the parents doing everything else, what is the likelihood of a kind of you know, time variance authority reveal that actually there's no one in charge about and it's all droids.
Speaker 1: I think that that might be. I like that read it's.
Speaker 3: Pretty high likelihood.
Speaker 1: It certainly seems like nobody is able to tell the droids what to do, while the droids meanwhile in this very automated way or telling everybody what to do, don't broadcast any signals, don't do this, don't do that, and even under Secretary of Pharaoh doesn't seem to have any juice over there. It's very interesting. So Jod and the kids go down to the mint. Jod is like, hey, I got to make a phone call to my uh you know, just like my other ship. Just let that thrived, And the droids are like, well, you can't make calls. That's not allowed. You can speak to a supervisor. So here maybe they're you know, I wonder they.
Speaker 2: Mean the supervisor like manager, the kind of like we hear allegedly the supervisor's voice here, voice by Stephen fry Right. I don't know if that means he's gonna be the supervisor. I feel like that was more of like a kind of when you're in a supermarket and they're like, hello, lost child, alert, could you please come to Aisle nine? Like didn't feel like I was hearing the real guy. Yeah, but I don't think John wants to see that man. That's my biggest feeling. I don't think he should be.
Speaker 1: But he pretends like, yeah, I'm gonna speak to the supervisor while let me see the calls. So they go to the vault and it is like full to the fucking top with stacks and stacks and stacks, huge stacks of golden credit coins and they apparently is only one of over a thousand other vaults. Jod legitimately falls to his knees and weeps at the same.
Speaker 2: And lets himself get as Joe as super producer Joelle said, like baptized by the credits that he's falling over his head.
Speaker 3: I'm like, again, this is an issue with the droids. Guys, this is not.
Speaker 1: Normal behavior, don't you do we have to suspect this.
Speaker 3: A serious situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should be able to do like a read of his body with like a predator style thing and be like, this guy's too excitience, Like this seems seems like pirate behaviors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like why is the Galactic rep doing like microderm abrasion with credits? Like what is crazing crying on his knees like looking the coins like this seems suspicious. Meanwhile, the parents come down, they reunite with their children. It's this oneonderful, great moment that is ended when Jod ignites his lightsaber in what can only feel like an incredibly ominous yeah, ominous threat.
Speaker 2: I also thought this was really cool because obviously John's lightsaber is blue, but we get the scary lighting of it that's more in line of what we usually see with sits. So I kind of like this space that we're in where it's like, honestly, if you're facing down somebody with a lightsaber, it doesn't matter what color it is, because they could take you out, whereas usually, you know, someone like Whim would believe that this is like a proof of somebody's goodness.
Speaker 3: So yeah, very interesting.
Speaker 1: The show continues to be wonderful. Any thoughts on where we end up?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I do want to talk about.
Speaker 2: One of our most prolific comic Discord users is Alex, who goes by Giant Asian Man and the Discord and his brother had a theory about the finale which I love, which is that Jod ends up sealed in one of the vaults. I love, meaning that he gets the treasure, but obviously very Greek myth very Greek myth thrones too, and also I like this. In the episode, they say that there is one one hundred and thirty nine remaining vaults and if they lock Jord in one of them, Alex's brother pointed out that there will be one thousand, one hundred and thirty eight remaining vaults like t x thhs, which is like a nice George George Lucas reference. I thought that was an interesting one. Heidi, who runs our Discord, who's amazing. She is still very much on the Jod is not a Jedi thing. She thinks that's going to be a big reveal because she again said the shackles he got out of were metal, some kind of like magneto esque powers or at least three strong magnets and there is Again Heidi also brought this up.
Speaker 3: This is a popular theory.
Speaker 2: Is that the supervisor is tac rennot and I think if they wanted to have Stephen Frye as an actual character.
Speaker 3: They could definitely lean into that.
Speaker 2: I still want it to be Nil's like, not Nil's mom, Whim's mom, though I love Nil's mom, so if she was secretly a supervisor, I'd be happy to What about you, what are your like top three things you want to see or think are going to happen.
Speaker 1: I do like the idea that Atten is populated by the offspring of pirates who don't know where they came from, who don't know that that's what they are, they're a former, because I we don't usually see integrated like human and alien species in this kind of grouping that are just kind of like working and living together in a just find chill way.
Speaker 2: You see like a suburb and way, yeah, yeah, you see it like military.
Speaker 1: Market or military structures or you see it in Cantinas. But it I think there's a world in which I love the idea that Tak is the Supervisor and that he landed here with his crew, and that they this is their horde, and they created this story so that the horde would remain safe, that oh, we're actually we're legit. We're working for the we're working for the Republic. And they had some kind of secret code where other pirates uh that were aligned with Tac or that were part of his crew, when they would go out and find more loot in order to land, they'd be like, oh, we're We're from the Republic.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: I do want to shout out one other theory that I really like from the discord, which is Whack Whack said, yeah, a lot of these people are probably pirates or the sentence of pirates. But also they mentioned a really cool theory where the supervisor is Tac as a droid with an uploaded consciousness. Oh yeah, I like that sm three to three was actually Tack all along because he knows all the rules. He is the one who can get people on and off at at and so I think those are some cool things. I think what's really wild is that they could do a million things with this show. I'm just really interested because if they land the finale, this could be up there with like one of the best seasons of Star Wars TV. Oh.
Speaker 1: I completely I completely agree. It's it's been tremendously fun. And I think it's also a genre, this kind of like younger fan genre that is right for approaches like this. It's been it's been tremendously fun. I do like the idea that TAC is like an uploaded like an Arnim Zola style, Like, yeah, Rosie, do you think you know? Obviously, if we get a second season of Skeleton Crew, which feels like it could happen, we'll see these characters again. But do you think there's what are the chances we ever see these characters matriculate into like the broader ip proper Ahsoka style.
Speaker 2: So I will say I do think they did enough good character act a casting. For example, I don't know what's gonna happen in the finale, but Jod feels like it would be very easy to see him in any other project.
Speaker 3: He's a pirate.
Speaker 2: Characters are very easy to have around in the Galactic Empire. I'm sure people would love to see jud Law bring back this character that one feels easily transitionable for me.
Speaker 3: I love the kids. Is it likely we're going to see them all again?
Speaker 2: Probably not in like a big adventure way, but I definitely could imagine that we would like see Neil again in a scene.
Speaker 1: I could see that, I complie, I think we could. I think we could see KB again too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: KB is definitely a breakout character in this for me, that would be really really cool to see her again.
Speaker 3: Also, I think that realistically, I.
Speaker 2: Do think that Whim's dad is one of the most interesting characters in this, And I think that seeing Wendell potentially show up elsewhere if he decides that him and Wim are going to leave the planet or whatever ends up in the finale, I could see a world where it feels to me like this is more likely that they're going to carry over than say.
Speaker 3: Characters from The Acolyte.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry to Sex, Sorry Jacinto, I would love to see you again anytime.
Speaker 3: And Star Wars or not you know well.
Speaker 1: Coming up on Tuesday, we're heading to Pekola Stan one last time to cover the finale of James Gun's Creature Commandos, and on Thursday, we're diving into a few comic res for James Gunn's other huge title we expect to be huge title this year, Superman coming July twenty two, And next Friday, we'll react to the finale of The Skeleton Crew. Episode eight of Skeleton Crew. I cannot believe it. That's it for this episode.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, Yes, and just remember check your feed on Monday for a very special announcement.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kitsumsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi Our discoord Moderata