Speaker 1: Oh hey, there, it's me Jack. You've caught me unwinding, enjoying a large goblet of delicious eggnog, untangling my brain, gaining five to fifteen pounds of eggnog while we unwind. Here at Daily Zeitgeist, in addition to publishing our normal year end episodes and Santo's University, etc. We've decided to take the opportunity to count down the top ten episodes of the year published over the next ten days. The ten days that will be off Monday through Friday, two weeks in a row. How Jack, how did you guys determine the top ten episodes? They were all equally incredible. Well, we used a little something called democracy. Ever heard of it? Depending on when you listen to this episode, that might not be such a rhetorical question. But anyways, we let you vote on the most listened to episodes of the year to see what you liked best. And you're about to hear your answers. Just ten bangers right in a row. We've got a trending episode in the mix. We got a lot of good ones and at number one, well, let's just say you'll find out, especially if this is the number one episode we're putting this same bumper at the start of all ten, so we hope you enjoy it. We hope you enjoyed listening to this year of TDZ as much as we enjoyed making it, and we will see you all in twenty twenty five. We hope you have a RESTful holiday. Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three, twenty.
Speaker 2: Episode four of Daily's I Gustay production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. And it is Friday, January fifth, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: That's too many Come on, nah, too many number.
Speaker 3: That's like buffer overflow error number of years. Right, if we were on like a four bit machine, we'd be done.
Speaker 1: Well. My name is Jack O'Brien aka. So gang time sex is not allowed, but check out this loophole I just read. So gang time put the P in the b and have all the homies jump on the bed. So gang time might seem strange, but you'll still get a planet when you are dead. I know how to abstain and still bone. That is courtesy of Rezik, a throwback. I think Resik since my displeasure that we were in the year twenty twenty four and gave me an ak from a subject we talked about. I think back in the late eighties, a little long time ago. I love you. I'm just curious how that came to you, Rezik on the discord, like you're just like, oh shit, remember that story they talked about years ago? Anyways, thank you for that. I'm thrilled to be joined by a very special guest co host hilarious a brilliant TV writer, producer. You know him from the Joses Races podcast. It's Andrew two.
Speaker 3: I just want to take a moment to wish a happy New Year to all the sun worshiping freaks in the white community. I don't know what you know, what you guys got going on, but happy New Year.
Speaker 1: I guess sun worshippers, Yeah, you freaks.
Speaker 3: Weird MoonLife Forever the la true Calist.
Speaker 1: Well, Andrew, we are throwed to be joining our third seat by a very talented writer, stand up comedian podcast host of The Bechdel Cast.
Speaker 4: Which takes down the patriarchy one movie at a time, and it is just one of the best podcasts in existence. Also happened to have a master's degree in film the most anagrammable in the English language, such as nine Tit Dracula. But when you read the name, when when you read the letters in order, it is Kaitlin.
Speaker 5: Yes, Latin dancer Uti danser Uti.
Speaker 1: Caitlin. You were just on, You're on. Like the last episode that we did before the Break, the fuck Around episode, What a great time was that was so fun And now, unfortunately I regret to inform you this is the photographic negative of that episode. This is the all business episode, just hard news stories one after the other. Everything from images of Steamboat Willie piloting one of the planes into the twin towers to Steamboat Willie drenched income. We're covering it all, folks, all the stories that happened for the break. That's that's basically it. We're just gonna talk about how Mickey Mouse hit the public domain kind of. And then there's a controversy bruin in the world of socks, socks or no socks in bed. I've been told this is I don't know I wear socks about I'm just gonna come out and say it, and I've been told that is unacceptable.
Speaker 5: But I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I knew I like everybody sees to it's wild. I just there's like this op edge in the Wall Street Journal or something, and the headline was like, if you sleep in socks, you're a psychopath. Health tip kicks up controversy, and and I was like, wow, that's that's so aggressive, right, two people and they were all like, Nope, it is correct. It is in fact, scientifically accurate. You need to get out of it.
Speaker 5: Well, not when you do it my way. I have a very particular sock regiment.
Speaker 3: I want to hear this.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 3: Jumped the socks, jump jump socks.
Speaker 1: All of that plenty more. But first, Kaylyn, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that is revealing about who you are?
Speaker 5: I googled Wolf of Wall Street quaylude scene yescause. Yes, yes, we know it, We love it. I am editing this little promo video to plug the Bechdel Cast tour the Jamie Loftus and I are going on in early February. So zeitgang, who's also a Bechdel head, grab your tickets. But anyway, so I'm like editing this silly little promo video and it's mostly a Barbie tour we are mostly covering the Barbie movie, but there's one show where we were also doing a Wolf of Wall Street thing because.
Speaker 1: Interesting, you know what movie caresaeah.
Speaker 5: I mean that's obviously the cross the thing. But everyone's like, why wouldn't you do Oppenheimer? And I'm like, because I was asleep during most of those, I don't want it again. So we're doing both the Wall Street so I was just like, I was just finding little images to include in this, and I was like, ooh, that kaylude scenes pretty good. Yeah, googled that.
Speaker 1: I couldn't help. But notice that Oppenheimer barely does any kuayludes in that movie, even referenced like when he does. I mean, it's I can't imagine he did zero kualudes during the events of the film.
Speaker 5: Show that on screen? Where's the on screen represent show?
Speaker 1: Don't tell.
Speaker 3: Klu really felt like that's the only substance legal or otherwise. That just like completely can you get coludes anymore? You can get a lot of shit that is illegal, even you can't get ka ludes. Where did you tried them?
Speaker 1: No? I want to? Oh yeah, yeah, I just I mean that is the premise of the scene in Wolf Wall Street right that they are like they have the five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're like old, so they don't know how effective they're going to be.
Speaker 1: And they keep taking them. They're like, ah, these are busted, and then very much the experience that anybody who's taken too many edibles has had in recent years. But yeah, that's the idea. I feel like they give a passing explanation about where where the kailudes went, but it was something like that. I think they were made pharmaceutically at one point, and then they may have been legal. But it does seem like there's probably you know, as drugs has become more high advanced, there should be a market there a minimum in artisanal market for come on, you want to at least try it.
Speaker 3: Try Yeah, ludes, Hell's Angels are back as a vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the Hell's Angels mainly use them to counterbalance all the speed that they were on enormous amount. They're like, well, someone's gonna have to fall asleep eventually. Why don't we uh figure out something to counterbalance all this trucker speed, that West distributing thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, wait, what is speed? Is speed?
Speaker 1: Coke?
Speaker 5: Are they the same thing? Are they two different.
Speaker 1: No, it's amphetamans.
Speaker 3: Pretty similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very similar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like similar, breaking bad, yes, speeds, breaking bad. Cocaine is I assume Wolf of All Street?
Speaker 1: Yea yeah they Oh yeah, what is something that you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: Okay, so we're getting into horny territory in the next few.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, folks, it's the first week of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: My god.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is a particularly horny. But these are about dating. I'm think giving a lot of thoughts. You're saying, not when you date Like me, I have a very specific sock regiment, and I have a very specific dating regiment, and it's all horning.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: Overrated is height as a dating criteria. I'm talking specifically about men because so if you go, if you're on the apps, there is there are a lot of men who just put their height as the only thing in their profile because they've been conditioned to think that that's like the most important thing about them.
Speaker 1: Is how the cells of my body stuck up to enough of that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, my personality in its entirety. So it's very frustrating, and I know that they're doing this because of like a you know, a societal pressure, a beauty standard, blah blah blah. But I find it very frustrated, not only that that beauty standard has become so prominent, but that men are responding to it by being like, well, you don't need to know anything about me aside from my height.
Speaker 1: I also feel like somebody who puts that much emphasis on their own height is probably more likely to lie about their height, right, Like issues going on?
Speaker 3: But is it kind of feels like what you're saying though it's it's it is like a self regulating system, right because like people who put that actually that is the only thing that is interesting about that.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's true. They're kind of perpetuating this psychic.
Speaker 3: So but I don't know, I just feel like, you don't you don't want it, and you don't want to click on those people and swipe on those folks, and you know that it's doing its job both ways. If someone only loves height and if someone recognizes that that's idiotic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm bout it unless it's fair their wembing Yama? Are they victor wembing Yama? Are they seven foot five? And it is like the main thing about them that you would have to deal with on a dating basis is like this, we can't go most places. I'm way too.
Speaker 5: I won't fit through the doorway.
Speaker 1: Can't sit in a Norse car.
Speaker 5: Yes, that would make sense, but it is it's just people who are like I'm five eleven or whatever. I that's what problem is.
Speaker 1: You're like, I am the average height and that's all you need and that's.
Speaker 5: All you need to know. And Andrew, You're right like this, like this should be like a weeding out process, except that I would say in like eighty percent of profiles and I like, yes, I'm I'm like swiping left on like ninety nine point nine percent of people. But like, it's just so prevalent for men to have just their height or like one of three things they list about them themselves is their height, and I think it's stinks.
Speaker 1: Will not stand for it, yeah, won't. That's terrible that people do this. Do they hold a coin next to them for like.
Speaker 5: The yeah, yeah, yeah, they have just a tiny little quarter and they're like, I'm so much taller than this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which then does open up a market for fake not to scale, like measuring tape in your yardsticks or whatever, that you hold up next to yourself or your dating profile. Yes, oh man, yeah, we're tollerated.
Speaker 5: Let's get on this. That's right, Yeah, all right, this is an enterprise if I've ever heard justin.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to cut out the next thirty minutes while we scheme this doesness plan and we're back and we're about to be rich as fun. Wow. What is something you think is underrated? Caitlin?
Speaker 5: Okay, So what I think is under is being solo Polly. So if anyone's not familiar, it's a type of polyamory or ethical non monogamy where you're just kinda single, your main relationship is with yourself, but you also have so many lovers. Great, it's the best of all the worlds. And it's something I've been exploring in recent years and I've never been happier.
Speaker 1: I would say, definitely sounds like the best one. Yeah, I think sounds like a lot of fun. Yeah. I thought you were saying solo Pollie like that. That was like negative nelly, solo.
Speaker 5: Polly, Oh, not solo poly pocket Okay, yeah, solo polyamory. Yeah, they would they sound like they might be contradictory because it's like, how can you have many lovers? But also, yeah, be solo, but we make it work.
Speaker 1: And when you become solo, Polly, does that give you the magical power that you now possess to use lover in a way that doesn't make me cringe because you're yeah, you can, you can do it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: There's I've met like a handful of people who can be like I've taken a lover, and I'm just like, Yeah, that's that's how you talk, and that is how you should talk.
Speaker 5: There's a great line to that effect in the movie American Fiction, which I will also sing the praises of later on as a piece of media I've been enjoying. But there's a great line where Jeffrey Wright's character is like, Oh, I'm so grossed out by the fact that you've just told me you've taken a lover. But when you're solo poly you get to say it and you can't say it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I also like to say that I have a harem of himbos.
Speaker 1: There you go, that's.
Speaker 5: Pretty accurate to my life.
Speaker 1: Uh do they know their him both room?
Speaker 5: I don't think they know that I call them that. Okay, I think that.
Speaker 3: They think it's just their little secret and they always Yeah, I will say the over underratedness of this. This feels like a solo poly is a thing where the rating system depends on your original perspective so highly. Because I can't help but notice that Jack was like that sounds great, it's pretty good, right. I was like, yeah, I think Jack's rating it's not underrated for him because it comes quite highly rad I.
Speaker 5: Guess I put it in the underrated class. I almost said classicory.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing now, that's category. As a solo you speak with such confidence that classicgory is now a thing.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you so classification slash category slash class agory. I put it there because I mean, most people you know, follow like a pretty traditional like you know, just monogamy. I have one partner, I have one person. That's what they're seeking, that's what they have, you know whatever. But I've been sort of just examining that as a structure as an expectation in society and I was like, you know what, I don't think that is for me. And just like i mean, relationship anarchy in general is something I've been exploring, and I'm just like, yeah, this this is cool. This is not enough people know about it or are doing it. Yeah, and obviously like a very important thing about it is to like be very up.
Speaker 1: So I was going to say, there are plenty of fuck boys in the world who are like, this is actually secretly what I do, but no one needs to know about it. I love everyone deeply and we are soulmates. Amazing, This just in classicory has been shortlisted for the twenty twenty four Word of the Year Mirriam Webster Dictionary.
Speaker 5: So oh I didn't even make it up.
Speaker 1: No, you did, And that's how quick they became.
Speaker 3: You did.
Speaker 1: Just now shortlisted. Awesome, amazing. Well, we are going to take a quick break and then we're gonna come back and talk about drums of Mickey Mouse doing nine to eleven. We'll be right back and we're back, And yeah, I mean, I don't know they're like that. I feel like I feel like I've seen seen all the ones like that. You know, it's so basically SB Dubs, as we've all started calling the steamboat will be who is the stakable ancestor of Mickey Mouse and descendant of minstrel cartoons. But that's for another time. But you can look at the similarities. There's a lot. But yeah, Steamboat Willie has hit the big public domain in the sky fring the internet to do its best slash worst and you know, doing nine to eleven and being covered and come where Like that was like, I bet that's what the Internet's gonna do, and they did that. There's also somewhere where he has his dick out, also to be expected, but I don't know that. Like, so, first of all, this is like people will be quick to point out, Steamboat Willie has some differences from modern Mickey. They redesigned Mickey Mouse for nineteen forty Sorcerer's Apprentice, So we're gonna have to wait another I was gonna say like twenty years, but no, that's actually less than that, like fucking ten years for actual like modern Mickey Mouse to be covered and come.
Speaker 5: But I mean, will the world make it that long?
Speaker 1: We'll see, that is the question.
Speaker 3: Well, to be to be covered and calm, not as parody, right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, yes, exactly, yeah. I mean people were already free to do this. It's just a celebration of like, no, it's legal. Yeah, So if you want to know the difference between Steamboat Willy and Mickey Mouse. Mickey Mouse has like big big eyes with like black pupils, you know, like the standard Disney like big eyed like kind of thing that's based on babies. Like they were like, oh, babies have big eyes, and that appeals to something inherent in humans, like we are genetically designed to not want to kill babies, and so like we like we like them with the big eyes, whereas Steamboat Willie to quote quote speech and Jaws has got lifeless eyes guys like Adull's eyes. It's true when he comes at you, he doesn't seem to be living until he bites you, and those black guys roll over white. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've said this story here, and maybe I've never said it at all. But the maddest that I forgot when I was writing on Robot Chicken is I pitched a sketch that made it pretty far that was about Funko pops where every time you turned back it was like a haunted house kind of deal, and every time they turned back to the funk Coo pop, its eyes would be that like beady black eye would be ten percent bigger until it swallowed the screen, and they did.
Speaker 1: They didn't let me do the sketch, and I'm so mad about it still, Oh may this taste? But yeah, so this is the first big character to hit the public domain in a while, which I hadn't realized. But Sonny Bono apparently Sonny Bono or Bono Bono, right, I've just been Oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because Bono is the YouTube guy. Bono is the sunny.
Speaker 1: Guy, as the famous rhyme says.
Speaker 3: From the Beavis and butt Head version of I Got You Babe with Share.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that's kind of the main thing he's known for, other than dying in a ski accident. But he also was so he was like TV guy and then became politician guy. And in nineteen ninety nine he's passed a loss suspending things from hitting the public domain for twenty years for reasons having to do with corporations and rich people enjoying money. Whatever. The justification at the time was that seems to be that they were lobbied by Disney and like George Gershwin's estate, and there's just everyone was basically like politics in the nineties really got away with a ton of shit because like they just had the world, or at least like the mainstream media convinced that anywhere where anyone making money was good for the country because quote the economy, Like, why not keep it private so people can continue to make money for Disney and the wealthy who can invest it back into Wall Street and Wall Street is scoreboard for economy. Okay, so they are wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thankfully that's all changed.
Speaker 5: Now, so it's no different. Yeah, it's we just have social.
Speaker 1: Media to point it out. It's not true. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So wait, they were trying, they were lobbying to make it so to like delay things going into into the public by twenty years so it could stay private so they could keep profiting. Yeah okay o neat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing that is like so funny. It is like to imagine them being like, you know, for for some kind of vague moral or economic reason, this must happen, and then just the finding the line of twenty years, like if this is important, why not forever?
Speaker 4: Like or what?
Speaker 3: Just like somehow they were like twenty twenty is good, twenty's good. We'll be rich enough that.
Speaker 1: Will never come. Yeah, well we'll just be incredibly rich by that time. So there have been NFTs because people are still falling for that apparently Mickey Mouse cryptocurrencies, those are somehow different. A glut of AI generated images featuring the old Mickey doing drugs or slathered and seemen previously mentioned. Yeah, couayludes might be interesting. I'm sure that the kids don't know though, you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: Kids copyright. I wonder if the copyright on the name, on the presumably brand name Quailude is probably still in a fact, whereas Mickey you'll get you get sued by like Pfizer or whatever, still holds that pat was Quaylude.
Speaker 1: The name brand or street name for that drug. I'm curious, like, was that the Kleenex?
Speaker 5: Maybe look at us right, there's no spell very strangely, which makes.
Speaker 1: Me think that it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not the chemical name, and it's not like some ship that you just come up with.
Speaker 5: So the chemical name is mesquey loan.
Speaker 1: Okay, pretty close.
Speaker 5: It's a hypnotic sedative. I didn't for some reason, I thought it was an upper okay, Oh no, no, must be the the brand name, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the aspirin.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's yeah, there's it's I love this. Back ludes, Bring back ludes is our message in four but I mean it's understanding, like there's sort of a strise and effect happening here where people are going particularly hard on Steamboat Willie because Disney has like famously been fighting this moment for decades, like they called the Sonny Bono thing, I think the Mickey Mouse Saver or some some shit like the Mickey Mouse Law or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like people if the Disney Corporation is in danger of not making his money as much money as they wanted, put out a Mickey alert and it all goes to our phones and we all like have to protect the copyright of Mickey Mouse's.
Speaker 1: The Mickey Mouse Protection Act is what was called. So predictably, just hours after Mickey entered the public domain, we got a trailer for a horror movie in which a guy in a Mickey Mouse mask is like a knife wielding serial killer.
Speaker 5: And didn't they just do this with Winnie the Pooh also.
Speaker 1: And also the mask looks like shit, like the Winning the Pooh won like for some reason, they just they're like, Okay, you're allowed to use it, but you have to like make it out of a paper bag in like fifteen minutes. Looks like total shit. Yeah, it's also set in a Chuck E cheese Asque restaurant because of the success of Five Knife Freddy.
Speaker 5: Okay, so it's yeah, five Knife Freddy. Is that is that you doing a joke?
Speaker 1: Is that? Yeah? That's what we called it. I think it's actually when you're your co host on the Bechdel Cast, Jamie Loftus was on.
Speaker 5: We were Now, I just outed myself as someone who didn't listen to.
Speaker 1: That didn't listen to your own I listened to everything Miles has ever been on, including phone calls that he doesn't know I'm listening.
Speaker 3: You have like a secret baby monitor in his house.
Speaker 1: I do just for you, that's right, and sometimes a whisper things while he's asleep, just you know, incept ideas. But yeah, it's five Nights at Freddy's. I'm sorry, Caitlin.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't like a classic gory google.
Speaker 1: Right right, could could easily be. Yeah, but so just the least original original film ever proposed.
Speaker 3: The thing that bums me out about these is like like they had it ready to go. It's like so uncreative. I just wish some some just like like this. The creativity is like shockingly low for this, for this whole like all of it, the whole classicgory of these makey makey. Yeah, it's really it just bums me out. I don't know, I just I just want something funnier, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think funny would be too close to so like none of this is really legal, like you, Disney could like sue any one of these that they wanted to out of existence. It's just a gamble like whether that draws attention to it or not.
Speaker 3: You know, that was a thing that I learned when I worked at Comedy Central many years ago, that like, I mean, it was outside of it, but it was maybe this is a private conversation with not socil repeating, but doesn't.
Speaker 1: Matter that much.
Speaker 3: But like you know, I was told that often because you like kind of have the impression like, oh, you can't use Coca Cola in your things, so you've got to use this thing because of copyright or whatever. And it's rarely that, Like it's usually just that like the business affairs and ad salespeople would like to get Coca Cola as a sponsor pay them. Yeah yeah, so like you know, we are a free but it has nothing to do with the like base legality of like can you use it?
Speaker 1: And it's such a like detraction from the quality of movies. I mean, I think you've told us that before, but it's like so interesting to me because it's such a like if you could just like it takes you out of the movie so much to have people drinking from a can that is like, yeah, says soda.
Speaker 3: On it Crackle Cola, Yeah, exactly to me. The example I was given, I don't remember who said this, but like you just can't like defame the product, like you can't have someone drink a coke drop dead from a heart attack and then all the characters say that's what always happens when you drink.
Speaker 5: So as long as you're not like slandering the brand, yeah, right, Like quaylude for example.
Speaker 1: Right, which we've always said on the show, is very good for you. It's like taking your vitamins in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I wonder if just so you can't you can't misrepresent, you can't have kayludes and just be like these get me high with no consequence.
Speaker 1: Like I just did. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I was an extra on a movie set one time, huge Brag. It was a movie that never got a theatrical release, but Emma Roberts was in it, and it was about a high school basketball team. And I was in this like cafeteria scene where there were vending machines in the shot, but originally the vending machines I think were Pepsi. And then they brought the like production brought in basically like huge stickers that said Coca Cola on them to place them over we'll goo to make it seem like yees a Coca Cola machine.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: I don't know exactly why they did that, if that was some sort of like agreement with Cola or I don't or if they were like we want money from Coca Cola but not Pepsi.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't know enough about it, but I just found that fascinating that it was like, oh, you like specifically brought in stickers to like make to change what this product would be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The director is just like, no, these people have cocina. They would never No, it's not this is real.
Speaker 3: This is taking me out. Pepsi. Roberts fuck out.
Speaker 5: Of does not track.
Speaker 1: Emma Roberts does not exist in a universe. Alongside PEPSI like that. That doesn't It's like, you can't put Michael Douglas in a movie set in the past. You can't put Emma Roberts in a movie in which there's right, it doesn't make.
Speaker 3: Even if he was in like if Michael Douglas was in a period piece, you'd still need to add minimum put like a BlackBerry in his hand.
Speaker 1: He doesn't love Yeah, that was in a period No. That So William Goldman, the screenwriter has he wrote Princess Bride, and he has like what one of his books on screenwriting, I forget which one it is. He talks about how his theory for why Ghost in the Darkness I think is the movie it's like Jaws, but a lion in Africa that is like killing everybody. And then there's like it's the eighteen hundreds, I think, and they're like the Quint character is this like stoic lion hunter played by Michael Douglas, And everyone heading into the movie movie's release was like this is a sure thing, like we have the next Jaws. And then it like tanked. And his theory for why it tanked is that Michael Douglas just cannot exist in like a movie that takes outside of like After the Earth before the nineteen eighties, Like he just like needs to be a horny businessman like that. That's it.
Speaker 3: Like it's kind of unsettling to even just imagine Michael Douglas in the same room as an animal or in the same like right, so like like anything that isn't like, yeah.
Speaker 1: He tried it and fatal attraction. Look what happened to that happened to that rabbit? Jesus Anyways, like that, multiple movies actually hit on the same like multiple trailers dropped or I guess this one didn't have a full trailer. But there's like a Whore an animated horror movie where Mickey Man else will torment a group of unsuspecting ferry passengers. So they're like steamboat Will, what's the first thing we all think about with making house that he was on that dang steamboat a long time ago. Well, what this movie presupposes is he's still on that steamboat and he's angry. But like so that winning the Pooh movie exactly, Like does he do it in like weird like animation, like like giving looks to the camera, like whistling out of the side of his mouth as.
Speaker 3: He's like kind of lightple up double knee bounce per step, right, and that's just how I walk canonically, I walk into double knee bounce everywhere I go.
Speaker 1: But that shitty Winning the Pooh movie, Caitlyn, you referenced, that is the first in the class. This classic word movie was made for one hundred thousand dollars. Like evidently like every one of the dollars not spent over that is on screen, Like you're like, yeah, no, that's just a dude in a mask that like you didn't even bother to get the best mask for this job.
Speaker 3: Whoa.
Speaker 1: And that movie made five point two million dollars because people were just like mad at it, and so it got passed around and like the director of one of these slasher Mickey Mouse slasher movies, this is the direct quote. We actually love the negative feedback because you know, it just draws more interest. There seems to be, you know, a market for people that want to hate this kind of stuff. And it doesn't matter just if you watch the movie, if you pay to watch the movie, then yeah, that's all we want, said the director. I mean work of art. Well, give a fuck what do you Why are you talking to me? None of this matters, just so out, so nihilistic. There is like a thing that I've been noticing just as a trend across media where we no longer distinguish between Like people were talking about how viral one of those Israeli comedy sketches went, you know the ones that like I guess Brent Gelman was in one of them and Michael Rappoport, but they're just like super offensive, like yeah, and people were like it's gone viral. These things are like it's like no, people, people aren't like laughing and passing it around. Everyone's like horrified at this. But there there just does seem to be a way that we're just like flattening it out. And it's just like all attention is not only does it like work, but it's just evaluated the same is it's just like, yeah, that's that's a success, shamelessly mask off. We don't give a fuck unless it's a shitty Mickey Mouse mask.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it isn't.
Speaker 1: It isn't.
Speaker 6: It's like you know, the like, oh, I like the negative press actually likes like that's like that is like the fifth emotion you have after like you.
Speaker 3: Know, I know it's aw budget, it's kind of goofy, but like maybe this is gonna be good and like no, okay, but like call you know, I'm just saying like that. That is also a type of just hope. Yeah, I guess, like it's not untrue, but it's also like, you know, I'm positive this person's dream wasn't to cynically snatch. I mean, admittedly a decent amount of money, but not a good Hollywood you know, favorite Hollywood director amount of money from this enterprise. So yeah, they're still disappointed. The way I read it was like he's like, yeah, man, it's great, but it could be. He said this was like a glassy, far off gaze in his eyes, you know, just like feeling his all of his life's dreams dry up. Yeah it's still dark.
Speaker 1: Let me feel better.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's still money. I guess we do enjoy money, I suppose.
Speaker 5: But it is the thing of like when people are like, yeah, I made it bad on purpose, then that I was and that was intentional and it's part of the commentary, and it's like, no, you didn't. You tried your hardest and it was bad, and that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 4: You're bad.
Speaker 5: It's okay to be bad.
Speaker 1: There's there's so many people in the world. You're one of the bad ones. It's okay.
Speaker 3: At least you have money. A lot of people are bad and don't get money.
Speaker 1: At least you can do the job that your boss has asked you to do. That's pretty good. That counts for something, Buddy, You're gonna stay. Disney can still like totally prevent people from using their early version of Mickey Mouse on consumer products, like the way that people use logos. It's like that it the closer you look at this, the harder it is to distinguish like what actually changed, because Disney could still sue you out of existence. I think the thing that changed is that, like a horror movie, there's no way that anyone would confuse that with being something that Disney was putting out. And so this is like the same. Legally, this is even though it on its surface seems like the most subversive thing to do, it's actually legally the safest thing to do because it's the most evidently like satirical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the thing is it's like all all this ever has done this shit is like slightly changed the risk calculus for litigation, you know, with a slight change in one portion of the copyright law, but you know other shit is blah blah blah, Like yeah, yeah, it makes it slightly more of a pain in the ass for them, Like it gives your lawyers one more paper they can file that then gets swatted down by the Disney lawyers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that does cost Disney money. That costs a billable hours.
Speaker 1: But like we'll get shit. Yeah, they don't. They don't give a fuck. They will spend you into the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the most famous examples of Disney threatening legal action over the use of Mickey Mouse wasn't for a scathing parody, and in fact there is like there was a short film in which Mickey Mouse is sent to the Vietnam War and shot and killed immediately after getting off the transport. And they did not sue that they were because they were like, oh, that that would just draw attention to this. So that came out in nineteen sixty eight and they were just like, yeah, go knock yourself out. But they did sue three daycares that had unlacensed Disney murals. Yeah, so it's just like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because that could be seen as like Disneyland, Yes, Jake Cars, Disney branded.
Speaker 1: That's our end game, you guys. We will take all of your children into an underground bunker with our characters painted all over it. That's not for you to use. All right, let's take a quick break and then we're gonna come back and talk about the controversy that everybody's waiting to hear about whether you wear socks in bed. We'll be right back, and we're back, and yeah, as I mentioned, there's a Wall Street Journal article, if you sleep in socks, You're a psychopath. Health tip kicks up controversy if you sleep in socks, You're a psychopaths and quotes, so it's quoting one of the sources from this article, but it's this is like one of those articles that mainstream hastitutions do sometimes where they you can tell like they are having fun or they're trying to communicate the idea that they're having fun, and there's like it's full of just shitty puns. So brought it to my attention. I started like googling around, like am I weird for wearing socks in bed? And yes, very fucking weird. People are not. Like, there's a Reddit thread that is all about this, and you know it's full of like aggressive opinions on both sides. But like, the percentage of people who responded and said they wear socks is like between five and twenty percent of people wear socks and bed. Everybody else is like what Like when I ask people there, horrified at the idea that somebody would wear socks and bed. Yeah, I don't know. Sleep specialists they think it's a good idea because they apparently, if you keep your feet warm, then your body has to work less hard at like warming them up, and so it actually keeps your body temperature lower to have socks on your feet somehow.
Speaker 3: Okay, because the whole rest of your body.
Speaker 1: Is like working to keep your feet from freezing off something. Okay, Okay, seems like bullshit. But I don't know why, especially with this being such a wildly unpopular take. I don't know why sleep experts would be bring this up other than it's the heat marketing that we talked about before.
Speaker 5: Right, All right, well I'm ready to disclose my habits.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, okay, can we get a little drunk.
Speaker 3: I want to hear here, like like the little drum they use.
Speaker 1: The little tipoty thing they used before, like they reveal in deal or No Deal, what's inside the briefcase?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, okay, put that sound effect in and okay, this is not this is the diaclimactic. I will wear socks to bed in the winter when it's cold, and I want to say form.
Speaker 1: But oh my god, the crowd are losing their fucking ten large that that was gonna be your answer.
Speaker 5: But they are socks that are like my specific bed socks. I will not wear them around the rest of my apartment. I would never like put them in shoes and go out and then like also then wear those into bed. Anyone who like goes about their days in their dirty socks and then and then wears those same socks to bed. I do believe that those are I do believe, Well.
Speaker 1: You just turned into a Southern Belt leghorn, now, you see. I do believe that those people are. Well. Yeah, that one of the articles that I found was debunk or like, you know, dismissive of sock wearing in bed based on the idea that like we're just coming from the gym in sweaty socks and like shopping in to bed, It's like, no, what the fuck? Like we don't have one pair of socks? Like the point is that they're like dry, clean night socks that you put on after you take a shower.
Speaker 3: Yes, here's my my question for both of you freaks, though, did you is this behavior that was like acquired or did you never? Have you ever? I mean I'm sure you've ever, but did you ever like on a regular basis sleep without socks and make make a decision to be like I'm a socksman. Socks that was both inappropriated and just float off my dog? But you know what I mean, like has it always been socks?
Speaker 1: You know? More or less? So? Okay, I actually there is. So the thing that's interesting to me about this is that there really seems to be a broad, like propagandistic push against wearing socks in bed, Like I want my mom told me like growing up about the scariest nightmare she ever had and blamed it on wearing socks to bed. Well, she was like I and I think it was because I wore socks to bed and that's and she was trying to scare you out of that I guess like it's but it's just like the Reddit thread like has somebody like that people are like I physically recoil at the thought of wearing socks while asleep. I think sleeping with socks on feels grotesque asleep with socks when I'm too drunk to take them off, and honestly, waking up with socks on is worse than the hangover. But that person is going to bed with dirty socks on. And then somebody else wrote one percent of socks sleepers are serial killers. True stat that I did not just make up on the spot, and Andrew, you agree that is true?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought I I will just say I have never thought about it. I just reflexively like, don't like like having socks on when I sleep?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: I have a few counterpoints.
Speaker 1: Yeah, One is you do that.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yes, socks can be gross and can become gross, but also so our feet. And if I was like in bed with someone who had gross feet and they were like rubbing up against me and like they hadn't clipped their toenails and like recently, that to me would be grosser than wearing socks to bed. Second counterpoint, I run very cold. I am always chilly, and I if I and like I'm also I have like pretty bad insomnia, and so conditions need to be like absolutely perfect for me to sleep. It has to be you know, not too noisy. The bed has to be comfortable. My anxiety needs to be at a manageable level. I need to be the right temperature. And usually my feet are too cold without socks, especially you know, in the colder months, So I like will lay awake all night long if I IF I if my feet are too cold because I'm not wearing socks.
Speaker 1: So feet and fingers are the only parts of it. Yeahld everything else about me runs super hot. But yeah, that that is the case. Yeah, I should, I should mention it. I also am completely new to other than the socks when I just yeah, just three socks on.
Speaker 5: Okay. That reminded me of that Flight of the Concord song business socks, which reminds me of I think a more a more relevant conversation here is if you wear socks during sex. Yeah, that is psychopathic behavior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because then you also have the garters on because you don't want your socks to fall down. So yeah, furious sock garters on around your knees. Steamboat Willie's back, steamboat Willie fucks with sock carters on. It's out and his socks are his socks are up. I don't know. I also like sleep on my face, So I feel like maybe I think I have like reverse claustrophobia, like I need to like because I think a lot of what peoples need to be I need to be like smart. Yeah, like that. I think what a lot of people are responding to when I read their negative responses, like to get the ship off.
Speaker 3: Of me, like I don't want to something like you know, I think that's actually as we're talking, I think in a vacuum, like I will take the socks off in my sleep, like if they're on, like if in the event that I have, for instance, like falling asleep, you know, maybe sooner than I anticipated for whatever, you know, chemic induced reason.
Speaker 5: We're on so many ludes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll wind up off, They'll wind up sometimes across the room, so the body doesn't want them on. Yeah, it's not my choice.
Speaker 5: Really, that's like it's like a body rejecting like a kidney transplant.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, I mean, like if your unconscious body is just like being like, get these, get the coffee. Yeah, yeah, I think there's nothing I could really do about it. Nature has spoken in that case.
Speaker 3: But yeah, whereas your unconscious body isn't it certainly isn't going to be like okay.
Speaker 5: Putting socks on. If I fall asleep without socks, I will wake up them on.
Speaker 1: So many socks on. I have three pairs of socks on. Well, Caitlin, such a pleasure having you on the Daily Geist. What a joy? Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 5: You can find and follow me mostly on Instagram at Caitlin Durante. You can also go to my website Kaitlyn Durante dot com for I don't know information I don't know if I'm teaching screenwriting classes, I list them there and like put the registration links. And the Bechdel Cast is going on tour, like I mentioned, So if you live in San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego, Austin, or Dallas, we are coming to those cities in early February, So you can go to link tree slash Bechdel Cast for all the tickets to the show's there. So come and say hi to Jamie and I and we'd love to see you there.
Speaker 1: There you go. Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 5: Yes, I also alluded to this already. But the movie American Fiction that came out pretty recently, I very very much enjoyed. I think it's super smart and funny and I laughed a lot, and I highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: I have not seen it. My movie watch over the Break. My family likes to go to a and this is crazy World a little weird, like to go see a movie on Christmas and what the fuck the guy who was so excited about Kaitlin's answer, Oh, whether sucks? They were all show Yeah, sawt Ferrari And the degree to which that movie, like apparently before seat belts, when there was a car accident, people were spring loaded in their car to just like like if you ever dropped a pair of AirPods at like a air pod case and they just like shoot out all like that. That's apparently what used to happen to people in car accidents. I will say, damn, no more, but pretty wild.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen that movie yet, but I find it fascinating that it is that it came out only a few years after Ford versus Ferrari, So like, why all these Ferrari movies all of a sudden and it starts, yeah, there it is, and that if I'm not mistaken, Adam Driver is playing I'm not sure, but he's doing like an Italian accent.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: It wasn't the whole thing with that Lady Gaga movie right Gucci Gucci, where Adam Driver was also doing an Italian accent that everyone was like, why is this a thing? Everyone's really doing a bad job.
Speaker 3: His Jared let really took a lot of this.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see, I see full Mario like just it's me was in that one. This one's definitely like not not as silly as that one, but you do come away being like this is the this is such a strange form of type casting that he has thrust himself into, of like being a Italian historical figure who was having marital problems and is the namesake of a still famous brand and who like kind of has an Italian accent but not really. But it's like both of the Like the Ferrari movie, I thought he was going to be like a race car driver, you know, like the name, like his name promises, but he's just like the a CEO. Like it's like very much like a business guy. Yeah. Yeah, he's just a business guy like trying to deal with an affair and like, and it's still cool. I don't hate it. Michael Mann. The car races. The car races parts are fun. The car races parts are fun.
Speaker 3: Is it is it still it's set in like the seventies? Is this still shot on like the grainiest digital video camera you've ever seen?
Speaker 1: No, it's set in the I would say the forties or fifties. Okay, yeah, and it's it's shot like a you know, just clear like you like, it's clear, you can you can see there's nothing on the camera.
Speaker 3: I like his movies that are like shot on that like pixel visioning that recorded like an audio tape or whatever.
Speaker 1: The most that I've watched a movie recently and been like, oh my god, this looks like shit. I didn't realize it at the time was Collateral. I was like watching Collateral, I was like, why does this look like absolute shit? Yeah? I think it's just like front going to from whatever he did back then with digital to like the high deaf screens that we have now. It's a little yeah.
Speaker 3: Was it colateral was shot on basically like actual security cameras. It was were just like it was something where it was like, yeah, this is the point. It looked like funn Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, basic amazing. Andrew, where can people find you? Is there a work media you've been enjoying? Let's see two things. One is I have over and over again apparently been saying the wrong date. We're doing a Yozas Racist Sketch Show, a SF Sketch Best Show on February third at seven pm at Cobbs Comedy Club. Apparently I have fucked up the promo every time on my own show, so please please come see that. And work of media sort of, my friend bootlegged this recipe for miso butter with chili crisp from I think Momofuku and like two parts butter, one one part like miso, just whip it together, chili crisp on it, and then you do the thing with the spoon where you kind of like go halfway and then turn it and make the little round of the butter like the little you know, oval shape looking thing. Anyway, that's what I've been doing. That's what I did over all, every conceivable holiday was like spend a quinnelle.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you. The spoon thing.
Speaker 3: You also do it at gelato places. I guess, I don't fucking know anyway. That's that's the media I've been consuming, is I guess YouTube videos about how to do that thing and how to do this butter. There you go, because that's a saint.
Speaker 1: That was very sustaining. It was beautifully put the work media. I've been enjoying tweet from d Souza with Zero's instead of O's tweeted chizam but for weird noises at night and I think that's a good idea for an event. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeikes, read the Daily Zeikeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fampaign and a website, daily zeikes dot com, where we post our episode than our footnote off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song I don't know why that threw me so much, a Hey I'm rusty all rightoty four, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Super producer Justin Connor, is there a song in this Year of Our Lord twenty twenty four, you think people might enjoy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this song is by Nuja Best. He's an amazing sample based producer, much like Jay Dilla.
Speaker 5: He's from Japan.
Speaker 7: He unfortunately passed away a while ago at an early age, but this is one of the first ever tracks that he made and it's not very easy to find anymore. It's a jazzy remix of one Love by Nas. It's great, clean the house music, as Miles always says, So you can check out one Love the Nuja Best Remix in the footnotes footnotes.
Speaker 1: All right, we will link off to that in the footnotes. The Daily Zaike is the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart w Ap Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite show. That is going to do it for us this morning. We are back on Monday to tell you what happened over the weekend and to talk.
Speaker 4: To an expert. And it's going to be a blast. Have a great weekend. Happy to be back with you, folks, and we'll talk to you all then. Bye bye.