Speaker 1: Previously on Atlanta Monster.
Speaker 2: The one thing I remember most about the missing and murdered children is Maynard Jackson sitting there with piles of cash, offering a reward for any information on who was committing these crimes.
Speaker 3: We called Wayne Williams at two fifty five am on the last day of the surveillance.
Speaker 4: I've been incarcerated since nineteen eighty one. A few people realized I was never convicted in connection with any of the child murders, but.
Speaker 5: Once it was stand on Wayne Williams, they were thrilled. That was their way out.
Speaker 2: Some people in the black community thought it was the Ku Klux Klan that was grabbing these black boys.
Speaker 3: The Klan wanted to take credit for it.
Speaker 6: They weren't bright enough to commit this crime.
Speaker 7: They have a letter they called Sanders, the Klansmen, the prime suspect, and the murders.
Speaker 8: For months before Wayne Williams was arrested and charged with two of the murderers.
Speaker 5: Anybody out there he thinks that Wayne Williams didn't do all this by himself, was correct. I only know that from the mouth of the Double King song.
Speaker 9: I did some television in my early career. I learned on sixteen millimeter film and sixteen millimeter mag stripe film, and was a TV reporter in the transition to videotape three thousand hours of it in a helicopter Captain Dave and the WSB skycopter. There was a nickname that was laid on me, might even make that one up. Started in broadcasting in nineteen sixty nine, so I'm an og. A couple of years in they started finding the bodies of young black males, and we had a big newsroom. I had a lot of reporters. We would all ask the police are these related? Are these things connected? Could there be a connection between these? And the answer was no, until the bodies started adding up. I don't know whether the police admitted to themselves or they already knew but didn't say, but then they had to say something. It was too obvious that there was a pattern of this in some way, and they started talking about it in that manner. And I was at many of the scenes, many of the scenes where the bodies had been found up until that point at a homicide, police knew me, knew of me, and there was a level of trust that you could walk up almost to the body and talk with them and they would know that you would be judicious about what you reported. But when they started finding these bodies, there was none of that kept far away for the most part, away from where you could take any pictures or see anything about it, and that has left many questions for me. I knew Wayne Williams. I knew Wayne Williams from his days as a freelance television news photographer. He had a nice camera. That's the first thing I noticed. He had a Fresolini camera, and not everybody has one of those on their shoulders. At that time. Wayne would be out in the city scanner chasing and he would find a shooting or a fire or some such going on at night. And we would come in in the morning and the radio and Wayne would be there and he would ask us, do you have a story about, for instance, a fire fourteenth Street. If we said we did, he would ask the photocopy the script. He would take that photocopy and tape it to his film can and leave it for Channel two. The one thing that I noticed about Wayne was car he drove. It was a bloom Plymouth satellite and it was just like a detective police car in Atlanta and Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Another body was discovered today the twenty third.
Speaker 8: At Police Task Force headquarters. There are twenty seven faces on the wall. Twenty six murdered was missing. We do not know the person or persons that are responsible. Therefore, we do not have the money.
Speaker 1: From Tenerfo TV and houstill forks in Atlanta.
Speaker 10: Like eleven other recent victims in Atlanta, Rogers apparently was asphyxiated.
Speaker 8: Atlanta is unlikely to catch the killer unless he keeps on killing.
Speaker 1: This is Atlanta Monster.
Speaker 9: Wayne Williams drove a blue Plymouth satellite. It looked just like an unmarked Atlanta police car. I'm pretty good at spotting undercover cars because the way I drive, and that one stood out.
Speaker 11: The main car in this case has always been that white station Wagon, the one Wayne was driving that night on the bridge. But during my research I was hearing more accounts about blue cars.
Speaker 1: The first blue car I heard about was a Nova.
Speaker 10: I know there was talk about a blue Nova, which Wayne didn't drive a blue Nova.
Speaker 11: Vincent Hill also mentioned this victim. Jeffrey Mathis was seen getting into a blue Nova, and according to Rodney's story, he was picked up in a blue Nova too. But Wayne didn't drive a blue Nova. Then I thought, what do these cars look like? How similar is a blue Plymouth to a blue Nova? Would a child know the difference? So I looked them up, and to me, these cars looked very similar in some ways, almost identical.
Speaker 9: It was medium metallic blue. He had a built in scanner, not a magnetic mount, but a real scanner, and it looked for all the world like a cop car. Wayne Williams a quiet didn't say much, and he got his job done and left at the station. Here's a question I have about Wayne Williams. He was kind of pudgy. How does a guy like that? How do we reckon that he abducted fairly old, street smart kids who probably knew how to fight without getting hurt himself. How did that happen? How did these kids allegedly go with him with no fight, with no signs of a struggle on Wayne's part. They would have mashed his face, surely bruised him in some way or injured him in some way, but that was never talked about. When I heard that he was arrested, the one thing that came in my mind first was why didn't they think of him first? Because they told us that they were looking for someone who maybe had a visage of authority that presented themselves like an authority figure like a police or maybe a male man or whatever. They were looking for somebody like that. Well, look at this guy's driving a what looks like a police car.
Speaker 1: David makes a pretty good point.
Speaker 11: Wayne did fit the FBI profile, in particular the desire to impersonate a police officer. But David still had his doubts about Wayne's guilt. He remember as many suspects before Wayne Williams too.
Speaker 9: There were some bizarre things that happened while they were looking. There was one suspect who came into mind and was being actively watched, as we understood, and that person got angry and came to the radio station wanted to do an interview. The police chief came to the station with the general manager, albo Ellis, and me and some other people, and they were kind of explaining to us. The police were kind of explaining to us that how dangerous it was to put.
Speaker 1: On the air.
Speaker 9: Well, we knew that, we knew that the general manager's station was the recipient of a Peabody award. I mean, we weren't slapshot at it, and this man came to us and we did the interview, and the man said, you know, you could get killed investigating a story like this. We call police. And for a time she slept with a radio station walkie talkie beside the bed, and I had one beside mine in case she had trouble, and the police had ordered protection for her. When you're investigating a murder and serial murder and somebody says that that will send a chill in your spine, they really will. I can't remember the name of the person, but I remember it was medium bill, black male, and that's that's all I can remember. But the police knew who he was and they were watching.
Speaker 11: Even David himself was investigated at one point.
Speaker 9: They tell me that they looked at me because there were reports witness accounts that a white man with a mustache wearing a flat sport cap was trying to pick up kids along Stuart Avenue. Well, I lived on the South Side, I had a mustache, no wore flat caps, So there you go, and they checked me out. Years later, I was coaching my son's soccer team and one of the other coaches came up and put his arm on my shoulder and said, buddy, we know more at you than you think we do. And I said, how's that? He said, GBI agent, we had younger surveillance. Head of the GBI, Phil Peterson told me because I had developed a relationship with him and talked to him, and he knew me and I knew him, and he knew if he told me something not to get out that I could hold it in confidence. He said, Dave, someday, I'll sit down with you when this is over, and I'll tell you everything I know. And philed out of kidney cancer before I could talk to him. This whole thing sounds like it's unreal, like it's out of a TV show. And it always had that kind of vibe to it, what's next, what are they going to find next? And it was a vice president, it was a mayor with a pile of cash, and it was the mayor pointing his finger at the camera. I'm coming. You've seen the film.
Speaker 1: Here's one hundred thousand dollars and it's all yours. This got me thinking about that reward money.
Speaker 12: Ticket sales alone for the show brought in one hundred and forty five thousand dollars. Then there were a few big donations from Warner Brothers, Coca Cola and the like, and some sizable ones from individuals too. The after party auction brought in another eighteen grand all in all a big haul, easily over two hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: At this point, I'd heard so much about it, But where'd it go?
Speaker 9: I've wondered about a lot of money things, So what happened to that money? I don't know. After all, the large of the reward, the more likely it will be that police will eventually get the information they need to solve these horrifying murders.
Speaker 7: When Muhammad Ali announced he would add to the reward fund, making it five hundred thousand dollars, even city officials were surprised. In thanking Ali. Mayor Jackson said this was the largest single donation in the history of the cases.
Speaker 11: All those private donations and the benefit concerts, tons of money raised it catch the killer.
Speaker 1: Whatever happened to it?
Speaker 11: It's a question I asked everybody, Captain.
Speaker 1: Dave, Now, I don't know where the money man, Monica Pierson, you.
Speaker 2: Know that's one of the things you need to ask. What happened to all of that reward money. Unfortunately, the one person who could probably answer that for sure it has passed on the former mayor, Maynard Jackson, because Maynard was very hands on. I was the city hall reporter in those days, so he was responsible to the community and he would know where that went.
Speaker 1: Doctor Blackwelter, that's a good question, may be something good for you looking to the APD.
Speaker 5: I don't have any idea.
Speaker 1: Are you saying that that two million dollars is missing?
Speaker 5: No one got the reward? I know, I didn't. I don't know. I never even heard that there was, but I don't doubt that it's missing.
Speaker 13: It had to be kept somewhere, and whether it was real cash or not, or just just set up for that particular shot. You know, it may have been promised money. It could have been Coca Cola or Georgia Power or somebody would have said, Okay, y'all catch him and then we're going to put in a million dollars. I seem like I heard that it was going to be divided between the victims' families, but I don't think we ever really figured out. But all the true victims, you know that FBI.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not sure that it went to anybody. You know, the usually the conditions of reward money as as based on as you provide information that leads to the arrest and conviction thereof. Well, the information that led to the conviction thereof was FBI and police information. It wasn't any one particular person. Now, had you know, had somebody called me and said, this is Payne Wayne Williams did this and here's why, and then we went we found out then you would be subject to qualify to get the reward money.
Speaker 6: Word got out. If you got on the list, you got money. They raised a quarter of a million dollars, which is a lot of money at that time, and that went into the fund for the parents of the murdered and missing kids. So if you made the list, you got money.
Speaker 5: I wasn't involved in it.
Speaker 3: There was decisions to give so much money to the victims' families to help them out because they were a lot of them were on the lower end of the socioeconomical scale.
Speaker 2: If the families are saying they didn't receive it, and the FBI really doesn't know where it went, then is it sitting in a bank account somewhere drawing interest?
Speaker 9: What happened to that money. I don't know. I really wish it had shaken loose more people to talk. Somebody knows something. They might be dead now, they might be dead. Somebody knows something.
Speaker 1: You know what I talked to, had any idea where it went?
Speaker 14: What were what money? I don't remember. I know of anyone mentioning to us money's being raised for the family. I don't know if it was being and whatever happened to it. If it did, of course my dad it was never mentioned to me by him or either one of my brothers or sisters that any money was involved in it. My brother being killed like that, I don't think none of was thinking about any money in the first place. If someone said money being raised, and it's been that money is given to somebody said, well, come tell me exactly who killed your brother, I'm going to give him that reward. That's the way I would have looked at the money. I think that is maybe something needs to be looked into.
Speaker 9: When I listened to the tape of his interview on your podcast, No Wonder, his attorney didn't want him to talk. He was wacky. He was wacky. He talked in a scattershot manner about stuff that had nothing to do with anything like trying to enterprise a rap singer out of prison. And he's connection with the CIA. I just didn't I don't see that.
Speaker 11: When I started my research on Wayne Williams and the Atlanta child murders, a certain storyline kept popping up. Wayne Williams alleged CIA background. It sounds crazy, I know. In my first call with Wayne, he briefly mentioned it.
Speaker 15: The only conspiracy that came in was once my name hit the Steprioc computers and it got to Washington. That's when they pattied because they had a ran country going and because to the government who on my background working for the agency and they were a friend, would expose it.
Speaker 10: If I remember correctly. In talking to Wayne, he said when he was seventeen when he got approached.
Speaker 11: Vincent spoke to Wayne on several occasions and he told him about it too.
Speaker 10: This agency that UH fronted as the Junior ORLTC program. But what they would do is they would recruit young individuals to train for the CIA, and in that training he learned to kill people with choke hold. I don't know why he told that story again. It goes back to Wayne, loving to embellish stuff that ended up getting him in trouble. Here some of the victims were supposedly strangled, and here's this guy saying, yeah, I'm trained to put people in choke holds. Wayne, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Do I believe it happened?
Speaker 10: No, not at all. A there would be some kind of declassified the record by now, thirty plus years ago that said, yes, we recruited Wayne B. Williams for this program, right, I mean, now you can get the declassified Kennedy files. Thirty plus years later, no one's ever came forward and said, Yep, Wayne's telling the truth about that. If it happened by now, we would know about it.
Speaker 1: Dwayne Hendrix also mentioned it to me.
Speaker 16: Wayne told me the first in depth conversation that we had that when he was a part of the CIA Junior Officers program, he went on two missions to Africa and he saw two villages of men, women, and children that were completely and totally wiped out.
Speaker 1: Dead bodies stacked.
Speaker 5: Who showed him this?
Speaker 16: Dude, he was a part of the CIA Junior's Officers program.
Speaker 11: Do you think this somehow plays into him being convicted as the killer.
Speaker 5: Because of what he saw.
Speaker 11: In doing some more digging, I found an old documentary called Reclamation. Wayne talks about it there too.
Speaker 4: When I was going through school, when I started in college, I was reports to work for something called a JLT program, a Junior Office and Training program, which is a minority recruiting program for the Central Intelligence Agency. I asked him, went so far as to take two trips to camp Peria, Virginia nineteen seventy seven in nineteen seventy eight, and these people wanted me to work with them because I already had an electronics background of new photography, and they were having some problems at the time in Africa. Apparently the United States, what we were told, was involved in some action in Africa, going against the government in Angola and all, and they needed some blacks to work for them at the time. So in the process of considering me for that, my name was already on the government's computer role. And I think after the bridge stopped, when you put one plus one equals two together, people jumped, and I think that's exactly what happened to Panic during the radio station era. We came to find out that while we were operating the radio station, I was also under surveillance by the FBI's Corn and Tail program. The NSA had a program which was also called mineration in Shamrock, Minerate and Shamrock. If you get those files that came out of the Frank Church here Ins of nineteen seventy five and seventy six, I am the young black reporter that's mentioned in those files where we were under observation because of our association with SCLC. They knew me for a long time.
Speaker 9: If you listen to that interview and he talks about being with the CIA and all this stuff, he could have been duped into thinking it was CIA work or super secret agency stuff. I don't know. I've often wondered that if there were others the way that they just took all of the cases after those convictions and shoved me into a band and close the door and lock it. I still am not sure that Wayne Williams was the only guy responsible. I think he deserves to be in prison.
Speaker 11: David Volk told me that he didn't believe Wayne was the Atlanta Chel murder, but he also admitted that Wayne was an unusual guy with some pretty out there stories larger than life.
Speaker 9: They got him dead to rights at the Jackson Bridge. I mean, he had no explanation for that, but it is possible. I think it's extremely possible that there were other people involved. I think he was a conspirator.
Speaker 11: Doctor Blackwelder, who is close to Wayne's family and also currently owns his old white station wagon, has his own story of Wayne's CIA involvement.
Speaker 17: Somebody that would take him out to some place in Georgia that had a firing range and let him shoot all kinds of machine guns and all. And he said that he was an undercover agent for the somebody. Hey, Shirley, let me get my wife. Shirley, okay, can you stick your head tell her to come in here.
Speaker 11: Blackwater asked me to get his wife from the kitchen because she remembered the story better.
Speaker 1: I got to meet his dog too, tell him what.
Speaker 17: The deal was on Homer and then and Wayne was supposed to be an undercover agent for somebody or this guy pulled up in this black car and came in into the radio station somewhere in the line and took him out way off somewhere and let him shooting machine guns and all.
Speaker 18: That.
Speaker 19: That was when Wayne was fourteen.
Speaker 9: It was CIA.
Speaker 1: This is a real thing.
Speaker 11: Why would the CIA have any business recruiting Wayne Williams.
Speaker 5: As a kid as his father did.
Speaker 11: He said the took interest in Wayne because of Homer, his father, and apparently Homer had contact with them too.
Speaker 17: He worked on the Manhattan Project. When these CIA agents or whatever they were, old Wayne, if you'll work for us, should help us, we'll kick you out at least you fly on an airplane and shooting machine guns and everything. And they took him somewhere that looked like a horse ranch. But when you went down the niots they had these targets shut up in all these kind of actions.
Speaker 11: They told me about a collection of files. Hommer had one they had seen with their own eyes.
Speaker 20: Homer had four file cabinets full of files pictures be on up the Manhattan Project, and he told Eddie and myself that we could have it when he passed away. And he passed away, and we went up there and they were in a storage building lot. We were the only ones that had to keep and.
Speaker 17: Had all the Wayne High School textbooks and everything in it. And we went in there and it was full of stuff, and here was this file cabin Because I remember I found one of these little metal file boxes that had pictures of them grading off for the Atlanta Airports when they were building the Atlanta Airports. And then there were three or four file cabinets that were so full that you couldn't have gotten another file folded if you had to, and it had a lot of stuff in there that Homeward you had when he was at the Manhattan Project. After Homer died, Wayne said, any of that kind of stuff you want, get it, And so we looked in there the day that we went to get the car, but we didn't have any way of bringing that stuff back, so Sir and I said we'll come back and get it, and then went back the next time to get it, and somebody cleaned the place out. Somebody broke in, but the padlock was locked. Miss Graystell had the key, and we went out there and came back. He said, Miss Granted, there's nothing in that house and who got the stuff? She said, had anybody been in it? Or somebody did?
Speaker 20: So we scared. She know that anybody been out there, and it was wrapped there at her back.
Speaker 17: Door, but everything in there was gone that was worth any day, and the file cabage were there, but they were empty.
Speaker 1: This wasn't the only unsettling experience for the Blackwaters.
Speaker 17: I was doing a church service up in rolling Out in the country, and so after church that was Sunday morning, we wouldn't come back home. We didn't go back again that night. We just stay up there. We went shopping one day at a mall and I was sitting in the car relation in the radio, and she went in the belt shopping and I got a telephone call and it was from Secret Service to FBI said we've got a threat on your life. That seemed serious, and he said, our closest agent is in Summrblee and he's only his way down there right now. And I said, well, let me tell you what kind of car I'm driving. And I told him Matt the tag numbered all And he said, where are you going to go tonight? I said, we're going back to the church. And he said, we'll have somebody sitting outside the.
Speaker 1: Church watching the door.
Speaker 17: Do you know who comes to church at that it's a small country church. It's always the same fable say yes. He said, if anybody comes in that you don't know, just fall down behind the puttle bit and we'll be in their own.
Speaker 11: Is Wayne making all this up? Is black bull making this up? And for what reason? Wayne had mentioned Iron Contra to me.
Speaker 15: That's when they've panised because they had a Red Contra going.
Speaker 11: I wanted some more background, sorry, reached out to Ben Bowling again from stuff they don't want you to know.
Speaker 18: The Iran Contra affair as it's known today, occurs in the nineteen eighties, with the final federal government conclusion coming in nineteen ninety three. Here's what happened. The Reagan administration was very anti communist, unsurprisingly, and they wanted to fund the operations of Contras anti Sandinista anti communist fighters in Nicaragua, but they needed to get the money from some other source. So at the time, Iran and Iraq are in a war, and the Reagan administration decides to violate an arms embargo and sell weapons illegally to Iran in this war against Iraq, and then take some of the money from that sale and funnel it again illegally, super illegally to the Contras in their fight against the Communists. This was in violation of something called the Boland Agreement that came from the US Congress, So it was a situation where one hand of the government is saying something to the public and the left hand is doing exactly the opposite. It was a real life conspiracy.
Speaker 11: What do we think Wayne is suggesting here the connection? What does this have to do with the possibility of.
Speaker 1: Him being innocent? Right?
Speaker 21: Yes?
Speaker 18: So what does this person, whether or not they're committing a string of murders in Atlanta at the time, What did they have to do with events in the Iran Iraq War? What do they have to do with communist conflicts in Nicaragua. And that's a question that's very difficult to answer because Wayne has mentioned the Iran contra affair, but has not, to our knowledge at least specified how he would be functioning in relation to that. That makes it very difficult to entirely accept.
Speaker 11: Nearly every time I talked to Wayne, I asked for important people I should interview, and the name that came up.
Speaker 1: The most was Sidney Dorsey.
Speaker 11: According to Wayne, Dorsey, a detective on Wayne's case, later admitted to the corruption he was involved in that got Wayne convicted.
Speaker 1: In the first place, You're.
Speaker 15: Gonna get to hear from Sidney Dorsey, who was an ex He was the person while the person responsible putting me in prison. Now he wants to tell the story about the witnesses he paid and why he.
Speaker 19: Did what he did.
Speaker 1: But again I didn't have the details.
Speaker 15: You're going to find out what Lewis Graham took to the grand jury and all tried to get Insie.
Speaker 22: And why.
Speaker 15: Sidney Dorsey is probably going to agree to talk to you. He's willing to complete. I am back down on communication Graham as we speak. These are things that you're going to learn as we talk. That's what I'm trying to get to this.
Speaker 1: If you remember from episode four, Dorsey became sheriff of the Cab County but later went to jail for conspiracy to commit murder.
Speaker 16: Sydney ended up being the sheriff for the Cab County. I think what he was really trying to do is he was trying to solve the murders initially found out for one, and there were multiple people that were doing the murders.
Speaker 1: They were prepared to make.
Speaker 11: A risks to find any evidence that would Oh absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 16: I mean Sidney Dorsey is.
Speaker 14: The keita all this.
Speaker 11: If he was the key to all this, then I had to talk to him. So I wrote him a letter in prison, and in the meantime, my team looked around for any way to coroborate his story. That's when we came across an old dateline interview with Sidney Dorsey regarding the Atlanta child murders.
Speaker 23: I frankly don't think that Wayne Williams has killed anyone.
Speaker 24: That's former Atlanta homicide detective sid Dorsey, who was with the task for us that put Williams behind bars. He's one of an unlikely group of people in the criminal justice system now coming forward to say Wayne Williams did not commit the Atlanta child murders.
Speaker 23: Never thought that Wayne Williams was guilty of any murder that has.
Speaker 24: Not one of those dozens of killings, not one.
Speaker 11: It's pretty hard to misinterpret his answers without a doubt. His statement was in favor of Wayne's innocence.
Speaker 23: People ask me often, did Wayne Williams do it? And I says no.
Speaker 11: Dorsey brings up Clifford Jones's case. Jones's body was found by a dumpster outside a laundrymat.
Speaker 24: Jones disappeared in August nineteen eighty close to this inner city strip mall. Hours later, he was found near a dumpster. Behind the mall, strangled wrapped.
Speaker 23: In plaster, there was a young man who claims to have witnessed the murder of Clifford Jones.
Speaker 24: Dorsey says an alleged eye witness described the strangling of Jones and identified the strangler not Wayne Williams, but a man named Jamie Brooks.
Speaker 23: I've always lived with the notion that Jamie Brooks murdered the child.
Speaker 24: Brooks later died after serving time in prison for rape, sodomy, and kidnapping. And despite all that evidence, the task force blamed Clifford jones murder not on Jamie Brooks, but on Wayne Williams.
Speaker 1: The owner of the laundromat.
Speaker 11: Jamie Brooks wasn't deemed guilty, even though eye witnesses testified as seeing him place Jones's body there. Years later, Jamie Brooks went to prison for raping and killing a young boy. By now, I had talked to Wayne Williams off and on for months, countless late night phone calls and digging through old stories that he says proves his innocence, and to be honest, it seemed like some of it checked out, but not everything. I felt it was time to meet Wayne in person, and he thought so too.
Speaker 15: It's a lot easy to get on the regular visitation least instead of a special visit. Me anytime, it's get a special visit. I can have two people of one time to get I really want to get you and Dwayne together down here at the same time, so I'll get deforms to you. You have to fill it out and return it ahead of time, and then all you've got to do is sit whatever date you want to come on the weekends of the holiday.
Speaker 1: Sounded simple, so I pulled out performs and sent them in for this weekend.
Speaker 25: That's when you were trying to do it.
Speaker 26: Okay, if we get it tomorrow, I.
Speaker 25: Can go ahead and run the background checking everything on you check May women tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 1: Then a few days later, my warden has.
Speaker 25: Left at your significant other form. There's no problems as far as that. But we're not going to approve the visit for tomorrow because we have knowledge that you are doing a documentary on mister Williams, and we have to put do that through our public affairs department before you can enter the facility. You know, we probably would have gone ahead and approved it, but he said, well, let we just need to run it by just in case, you know, he said, he thought we would need to talk with public affairs that just make them aware of it, and then we would get back with you. But I will get in touch with them the first of the week, make sure that there's no issues as far as they're concerned, which I don't anticipate. But it's just procedure, you know, it's just procedure. And I'll call you back just as soon as I mess up.
Speaker 1: A small roadblock, but still promising, He a why n e first moon?
Speaker 9: Okay, well, they just got in yesterday.
Speaker 26: They want to be processed yet, and I don't see your name.
Speaker 25: I gave her your number, your call back.
Speaker 27: I think she said she just waiting, you know, the lady.
Speaker 25: You need to talk to her.
Speaker 27: I think she's still a look.
Speaker 26: Your last thing is limbsy.
Speaker 27: Thinking a longer.
Speaker 26: I think I'm good. I got them, I got them on my desk.
Speaker 9: I to process it.
Speaker 25: Right now, so we don't have you an answer sometime this afternoons hopefully.
Speaker 1: And finally, yes, sir, it was a proof of this happening.
Speaker 11: It was happening, and in just a few days. But I've never been to a prison before.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's it's you know, it's I've seen I've seen every type.
Speaker 11: This is Mark Smirling, creator of the podcast Crime Town and the docuseries The Jinx.
Speaker 1: This was nothing new to him. Most of the time you're in a public area.
Speaker 28: I'd been in one prison visit where I was alone with.
Speaker 1: A with an officer with a guard.
Speaker 28: Usually there's some guard sitting right in the very cos, you know, listening.
Speaker 21: To everything which is going.
Speaker 8: But I found that those people are usually pretty good about, you know, money, talk about whatever you want as long.
Speaker 29: As you're not talking about escaping. Have you ever done a prison visit before?
Speaker 1: Nope, I never have.
Speaker 29: Excusing love, you cannot bring anything but quarterse don't bring anything that much drivers life and this supporter I'm gonna get you, so we'll we'll be able to change everything. So we'll we'll like to spit as early as you can. The reason why is because they have account that happens like a level o'clock after you level's gonna be one o'clock before you get in. You got to get there like that a nine thirty, you know, So we.
Speaker 27: Can make this and we're meant to happen, it be worth to talk.
Speaker 22: You gotta go through metal detective and all that stuff.
Speaker 19: They're gonna make you take your shoes.
Speaker 22: You know, you just want to have maybe like a roll of corners.
Speaker 15: You can get a cup home for.
Speaker 19: Something like that out of the machine.
Speaker 14: And you want to be dressed in minimum It's possible.
Speaker 13: Just like one I did say, I.
Speaker 27: Need y'all to give you this close to nine. It is topble. You gotta have many times to talk.
Speaker 19: Just send you to talk.
Speaker 27: Yeah, I'm doing this project. But for all those people in Atlanta, you never got dressed. That's talking about the Mealman of Jongs, of parents, lost family members, and you know, the police all the language didn't give the ball because they were like, I got a problem. The same thing that was happening in Atlanta nineteen eighty one, that happened in the day. The only difference is you got the face of it is trade all mark and all these things. This is why I'm doing is to open up with high socials so it's any good because of Doug and make the way to change it. That's what I'm about. Let's take it happen.
Speaker 1: Time Wayne was anxious to me and so was I.
Speaker 11: Just as things seem to be going smoothly, I got a phone call from the prison Missillians.
Speaker 26: See this is Michelle coming home tail from Sake Prisons. I'm speaking with him about your visit. Was Innate Williams that visit for Saturday, Hans the council. Sir, when you get this smssage, please give my call at two to nine eight.
Speaker 1: Just like that. It wasn't happening.
Speaker 27: While he's in the lockdown.
Speaker 26: You under investigation.
Speaker 12: You will not be allowed to do.
Speaker 11: I'm not really that familiar with what that means exactly. So does something happen all of a sudden like this morning or something?
Speaker 26: Just something happened here, So he's on investigation now, so therefore you won't.
Speaker 1: Be allowed to well, no, one won't be.
Speaker 15: Allowed to in to him.
Speaker 1: Do you think that it might be weeks before he can talk or what?
Speaker 19: I'm not sure, sir. I'm not sure how long it would be before you can talk about the way, sir, there's nothing you could.
Speaker 11: According to Dwayne Hendricks, Wayne was in the hole. Now I think that meant isolation. He was under some sort of investigation.
Speaker 19: Yeah, so they came and got him.
Speaker 21: Uh, last night.
Speaker 1: But Dwayne said, this was nothing new.
Speaker 19: Last time, and shit happened.
Speaker 21: He was in.
Speaker 22: He was in the hole from maybe like a a month of.
Speaker 19: Maybe even more than that.
Speaker 22: When I first got involved with this initially, I went and visited Wayne. I went and I met some of the people that he told me I needed to meet, and I said, well, fuck it, I'm just gonna go and do what I needed to do to get started and start working with Sidney Dorsey. I wrote Sidney Dorsey, I told him who I was. I was exchanging letters with Sidney Dorsey. The next step was to go through the public relations officer for Georgia Department of Correction and I got the form that I needed. I submitted the form.
Speaker 19: When I made the phone call to see if they received the form, it was a complete total lockdown for all inmate in the Georgia Department of Corrections that no one.
Speaker 21: Would be able to interview anyone. That's the extent these people are willing to try to go to make sure this ship don't get out. There's multiple people that will end up going to prison, maybe for the rest of their lives because.
Speaker 19: Of this taint.
Speaker 1: Next time on Atlanta Monster.
Speaker 28: Sim Jersey letters. Well, let's you know it wasn't Tamper West because the Georgia State President. Interesting. This is handwritten, which is why it's hard to read. I received your letter dated December fourth, twenty seventeen, and I truly apologize for my delay in responding to you. Please forgive and charge it to my head and not my heart. Best regards, Sydney.
Speaker 11: Atlanta Monster is an investigative podcast told week by week, with new episodes every Friday. A joint production between How Stuff Works and Tenderfoot TV. Original music is by Makeup and Vanity Set. Audio archives courtesy of WSB News Film and Videotape Collection, Brown Media Archives, University of Georgia Libraries.
Speaker 1: For the latest updates, please visit.
Speaker 11: Atlantamonster dot com or follow us on social media. One last thing, We've set up an Atlanta Monster tip line. Anyone with information, leads, or personal accounts pertaining to the Atlanta child murders can call us and leave a message. The number is one eight three three two eight five six sixty sixty seven. Again, that's one eight three three two eight five six six sixty seven.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 9: I don't think the whole truth will come down, not unless somebody who knows something here's this and opens up. I could be absolutely wrong this whole podcast. The information could be upside down. But if it is, there has to be somebody who knows it is and it will come forward. And it's like a promo, stay tuned, will stay tuned for what.
Speaker 3: That's also the promo for the next episode me