Speaker 1: Jewists.
Speaker 2: I'm a homegirl that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 3: You don't know if you don't lie about that, right, Lauren came in.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, it's Laura l Rosa and this is the Latest with Laura l Rosa. This is an exclusive audio episode. However, however, I'm in here by myself today, So on the Last with Laurna Rosa. If you are new here, welcome, and if you are one of my Lowriders in returning.
Speaker 3: Welcome on back.
Speaker 4: Y'all.
Speaker 3: The Lowriders are our.
Speaker 2: Community of supporters of engagement, of conversation. It's y'all, the people who listen here on the podcast. This is your daily breakdown of all things pop culture. You're daily dig into that in the conversations that are shaking the room. I am your host, Laura la Rosa, and let's get on into some things now. We start with the behind the scenes of the Grind check in because I always like to say, you know, when you're working, when you're hustling, a lot of times you don't take a break to just sit down and be like, yo, how do I feel today? So I started doing it on a podcast because when I say that here on the podcast. It's because, honestly, I'm talking to myself because I don't do that often. I don't do it at all, honestly, So I've made it a happy here on the podcast because I shoot the podcast daily, and then you know that means daily I'm checking in on myself and the people who are on the show are checking in on checking in on me as well, and I'm checking in on them.
Speaker 3: So today, getting behind the.
Speaker 2: Scenes of the grind, I am feeling I'm a little anxious today, and I don't know why I have a little anxious feeling today. I don't know where it comes from at this point today right now, I'm looking forward to spending time with my family over the Mother's Day weekend and you know, all of the things. But for some reason i've you know, all morning is I've been having an anxiest feeling. Maybe I should just pray about it, because again I don't know where it comes from. But whenever I feel like this, I like to write, like just write to myself and it helps to calm my nerves. So I probably do a little bit of that today. But yeah, that's how I'm feeling. I'm feeling anxious. And it's a weird feeling too, because you know how like all week long you're waiting for Friday, and because Friday, it's something about a Friday and a Sunday that just feel relaxing, Like it just feels like like that breath of fresh air that like you know what I mean that inhale, exhale, that unwind. I've been waiting for Friday all week long so that I could use this weekend to really just go connect with my family. You know how people tell you, like, yo, take your shoes off and walk in the grass so you can get reconnected. That's what it is like when I go back home and I'm with my family. So I've been I've been waiting to do that, and now it's here, and I don't know, I just feel so anty and so anxious. Maybe I'm excited to get to that. I didn't think about it that way. So that's how I'm feeling today. In the Latest, we have two things that I think y'all are gonna really enjoy. Two things that are I love bringing personal experiences here to the podcast and making them news. So first up, the Kendrick Lamar Siza GNX tour stops here in New Jersey for the New York, New Jersey crowd. They did Met Life Stadium two shows this weekend. Both shows sold out. Congratulations to them, Let's clap it up. Congratulations to them. There was so much conversation when Kendrick Lamar. First of all, even before he announced the GNX tour. When Kendrick Lamar got picked for the super Bowl, people knew that this normally meant you have an album coming and that you're probably going to announce a tour. And there was so much conversation around the super Bowl and how well he didn't perform, and how well he didn't do and you know, what do you expect this Kendrick Lamar? And then when the tour announcement and drop, people were like, are people going to even really support this?
Speaker 3: He's not a good performer.
Speaker 2: There was conversation around him having to add Sizza, you know, on the tour just for ticket sales and things of that nature. Like there was just a lot And to be honest with y'all, I've never seen Kendrick Lamar in person as far as like on stage. I've seen Sizza, but it wasn't like a full show. She was like a part of us. I forget where I was, Like what concert or like festival or whatever it was. I've seen it performed, but it wasn't like a full sister show. But I've always heard like when she did the SOS tour, I heard from a lot of people that this tour that she did it was fire.
Speaker 3: Production was fire. She was a great performer as well.
Speaker 2: And it was also special for me because my sister Mariah Jasmin shout out to Mariah Jasmine, dancer, choreographer, is dancing for SISA, and so anytime I get to see her, which I really didn't get to see much of her yesterday, Like I saw her she was on the stage, but we were in a suite, so I couldn't really see her for real, like I mean, like unless she popped up on the screens. But I was actually speaking of the word anxious. I was excited all day, maybe a little bit anxious awaiting. You know, we all mob as a unit, so Me, Jess, Hilarious, Charlemagne and a lot of the producers here all went to the show. We did a sweet, Oh my God, like I will say the sweet at MetLife. Their food is way better than that at the Prudential Center where they had Powerhouse in Jersey. Way better way, better food options. Chicken wings was fire, We had a little drinky drinks, you know what I mean. Like it was, it was a good time. I got there super super late, not on purpose, though. It was so much traffic getting into the concert. Like that when I said it was traffic, it was so much traffic. My car service driver was also a little confused on where the the VP drop off was as well too, so we had to like it was a whole thing. But anyway, I was excited because I wanted to see how this was going to go and I wanted to compare to what the people outside were saying about.
Speaker 3: It before it started. Got there. I got there just in time. I missed two acts.
Speaker 2: I think there's a total of five acts that take place in the shows, either five or six from you know what I've been told.
Speaker 3: And yeah, like it. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: I will say that the like it's it's the production of the show, like the stage setups, and it's it's very simple stuff like there's the X. He brings out the car since it brings out you know, the bug and she does you know, that whole thing that she does. It's not a lot to it as far as, like, you know, they're not hitting eight counts and all that stuff, but it's captivating.
Speaker 3: Sisa is very captivating.
Speaker 2: There is one point where she dropped into a split, baby I never listen. Let me tell you, Sizla look good going down into that split, and then she does like a back bind of some sort that's kind of like the only dance move for real, for real. Other than that, they really just like singing to you and Kendrick Lamar, and it wasn't just the Drake Diss songs that he included, Like he took it back, like we were doing old songs and like it was just a great time to be honest with you. When the Super Bowl set happened, a lot of people were saying, like, yo, his lineup was a bad decision, And I was like, what y'all mean, why wouldn't he do the songs he did?
Speaker 3: Like you know, that's the talking point right now.
Speaker 2: Since going to the GNX tour and seeing another line up with Kendrick, I'll agree. I think that Kendrick Lamar is a great performer. I think that Kendrick Lamar is so passionate in his music and what he does, and he puts it together and you feel that, like there was so much energy in that stadium every single song, right, But I do think that the arrangement of songs allows for that differently, and I feel like the super Bowl arrangement that we saw, and I know he doesn't have nearly as much time as he has, you know, on his own co headlining tour, but when I tell you, it was just like a different energy and the energy of the super Bowl wasn't horrible. But I think if he had done like a mini version of what I saw last night, it wouldn't have been no arguments about whether his around his performance.
Speaker 3: And I love that he ignored it.
Speaker 2: I love he that he ain't say nothing about it as you shouldn't, you know what I mean. Like I'm a fan of like, you know, show up, do the work, then you know what I mean, like show them, show him something. And that's exactly what happened. So yeah, we had a really really good time. We talked about it a lot on the Breakfast Club as well too. That's my review, ten out of ten, highly recommend if Kendrick Lamar and says are coming to where you live or somewhere nearby. Go see go see it. They start on time, they end on time, so get there on time. I was not on time, so I missed a lot of it. But go see the arrangement. Even Sissl's oh my god, well she went into the songs off the so os and even like control, like I was, I forgot.
Speaker 3: There were so many songs.
Speaker 2: It was like ballad at the ballot after ballot after ballat was Sizzl. And you forget because.
Speaker 3: You know it took I feel like it took the world.
Speaker 2: Us Sissor fans have known she's been fired from from a for a long time.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: It took the world a long time to give Sizzle her just do with her deserve. So I think a lot of times people might forget that my girl been dropping. She like a summer walk. Summer walker, don't miss either in that R and B space. My girl been giving you them hits for a long time. And last night I was like, yo, I forgot this song. Great time, Please go see the concept.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Not a thing that went down this week for me. We interviewed.
Speaker 2: Some of the one O six in Park's former cast on The Breakfast Club. We sat down with Aj and he was from the Aja and Free generation of One on six in Park. We sat down with Terrence and Roxy and we talked about the fact that one O six in Park is going to be reuniting celebrating twenty five years of the show during this year's b ET Awards in June in La And y'all let me do it from the minute, Like I've met Terrence before. Me and Terrence are really cool and be connected. Me and Terrence a while ago because of you know, just the work that he does in HBU HBCU space and Terrence and his homeboy Friday like brothers have been looking off for me in that space od like sending bookings my way, like really taking care of me and YO, anything you need call us, like career like career advice type vibes like all of that. So I've known Terrence like I actually when we went to the North Carolina ant for GHO, Terrence is a cue there, so like they made sure that we were taking care of We had a great time with them that weekend. I also know Roxy as well, and Be introduced me to Roxy a while back as well. But it was my first time actually really meeting aj in length. I met him and I kind of like, you know, just oh hi, I'm Laura, you know, like that, But actually in conversation, this was my first time and just as a unit, putting them all together, I was actually really really excited that morning because I thought Free was gonna be there, but then Free had to cancel. Y'all been on our backs too, she stated why she couldn't be there. She was actually getting she had something to do with, like dental surgery or something a dentist appointment. But just seeing them all together, it made me like I almost got emotional because I'm like, yo, this right here, this is it, Like this is this is a part of my childhood and my upbringing. But for real, for real, watching one on six in Park made you feel like you could do it too, Like you could be on TV. You could be the cool fly host who get dressed, who get busy, who know how to do their job.
Speaker 3: But you know what I mean, like they were one of that. There has not been.
Speaker 2: A show as culturally big by the moments that it creates since One O six in Park, like the Breakfast Club, like I mean, and then came to Breakfast Club. There has not been a show like think about It. You had one O six in part in all of those moments that people still talk about today, there's still go viral. There's been no other show that has done that after but the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: And in my mind, as I'm sitting in this.
Speaker 2: Interview, I'm looking around and I'm like, I'm really here, Like I'm like fire what There was one moment though, from the interview that a lot of people got upset me about. I had asked Roxy this.
Speaker 3: Question, how did y'all handle those moments?
Speaker 2: Like I know there was like the webby thing that happened Roxy, Terrence, you walking off stage rocks y'all here together now, we would love to hear about that as well.
Speaker 4: But Sasha, those protects me at all costs, and That's what I'm gonna say, and I'll protect him as well, at all costs. And I don't like, I don't like bringing up anything that was like, that's not what I want to remember from the show because that's not even worth our time. Right now, the show is more about celebration than it was about drama. So those three one hundred and sixty days or whatever, because we were at three sixty five, you know, it was always there's always things that would happen. But if there's one thing that I could say about this man right here, is that he protected me, you know at all.
Speaker 3: Call now, let me tell y'all.
Speaker 2: Me and Roxy that's my girl, like like we know each other in real life and they prior to this interview, I went in to go say hi to Terrence and Roxy and they.
Speaker 3: Already they're like, yo, come with it. We already know you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And I never go into an interview like are trying to be malicious or anything like that. I'm really asking questions as a person who was a fan of the moments they created, what I would want to know if I ever had the chance to sit down and talk to them. And that was one of the things because that Webby moment. There was a lot of other moments too, that one just came to mind first for me, and I don't know why because there was oh we also talked about them the walk off stage thing as well, but that Webby moment, to me, I've always been trying to figure out what happened because it was very obvious after it happened. When Terrence came back on stage after Webby did not come back on the show.
Speaker 3: Here's what he.
Speaker 2: Said, mentally, how are you dealing with that at the time, because all our kids.
Speaker 1: Did, look, we'll pivot out, but listen for me Roxy like it was, Yeah, anything that had to do with Roxy was always protection things. But shout outs to Webby, it's love, man. This has been you know, decades. We're adults. We were growing up live on television daily, our level of emotional intelligence, our growth as human beings. What we were dealing with it was we were literally growing up in front of everybody's eyes. So obviously we made mistakes, Obviously there's growing pains, there's things that we learned, but when we look back, it was this beautiful journey and time, this beautiful thing that we got to celebrate together. And when when Scott Mills and the team said, hey, we want to celebrate twenty five years of one of them, and.
Speaker 2: You could tell in that moment something happened. But they've never addressed it. They've never talked about it ever, and I've really just genuinely wanted to know. But when she got emotion I was like, oh, wow, Like you know what I mean, Like I'm watching as a fan, and I'm viewing as a fan of the show and of what they've done, But in real life.
Speaker 3: Something happened that you know, really you know, she got.
Speaker 2: Emotional talking about it, and it just made me also think about you know, all the you know, the different advice that you know, because even after that, me and Roxy spoke and she just like poured into me.
Speaker 3: That's that's all she does.
Speaker 2: Like they're so fire, but she just poured into me about like career and navigating career and things of that nature. And it made me think, how when even when moments happened up here at the breakfast club, when you when you out in person and in real life, people think that those moments are like fake, like you're not a person or something like that, like like things don't actually affect you or you know, like I don't know, like it's all just like one big play. And then once the show's done, it's like, Okay, now we're gonna hang these characters up and go about a whole another life. And it's like, no, this is really in real life like a thing for me, it's really it can really affect me, I have feelings and emotions and all these things. And in that moment, I was like, oh, wow, I know how she feels. I mean, I've never experienced whatever that experience was that made her emotional, and I don't even know because they still didn't talk about it, but she mentioned Terrence protecting her, and I was just like, man, now that I'm in you know, because being at TMZ, like I've been doing this whole like industry thing. I don't even really like all of that stuff though, to be honest with y'all, Like, and that was one thing that I learned at TMZ was like all of this whole the industry and being a part of the industry. No, you get up and you do your job. You don't worry about being a part of anything because all that comes and goals. People are gonna call you as long as you can do something for them, and then when you can't, they ain't gonna call you no more. So do your job, stay relevant, build something that you need to build to keep on moving and getting to get out stick and move. But I was really sitting there looking like the fact that I can identify with her and how she feels because It's like this was a huge moment in television. People use it for content and conversation as we were doing in the room.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Right then in the end that moment, But what did she have to deal with behind the scenes, because obviously still afects her because she was starting to get emotional that whole interview.
Speaker 3: It was fire.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to hang out with them in LA for the BT Awards weekend.
Speaker 3: I'll be in LA from June.
Speaker 2: Sixth through the tenth, supposed to be attend in the show as well, but we are going to be doing the Latest with Laura La Rosa, you know, live from LA, not live, but you know we'll be doing it from LA as well. I got some surprises coming around that, so I'm excited.
Speaker 3: But when I tell y'all, sitting across from people.
Speaker 2: Who inspired you to do what you do will never ever ever get old to me, I don't care.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I don't care. I don't care.
Speaker 2: I don't care because it's like, you work so hard to think to see things progress and to see it in real time and to feel it. It's just like, man, look at that. It's all happening like it is all happening. And I understand why people were upset about that. The Roxy question as well too, because I think people felt like, oh, here we go, get on. However, people I don't know, but I can't lean into that. Like even she said to me, like, you know, she's been in the same position. You have a job to do and as long as you do it. I think for me, what I've learned and being in this new space where everything is not straight to it like at TMZ is you know, timing is everything, and you know, learning how to bring things in and out of the conversation is everything as well too. So you know I do things with all due respect all the time because they are they. I mean they they walked so we could run. You feel me gonna take it to the tweets in the comments outside.
Speaker 3: We outside, we outside.
Speaker 2: Y'all got on us bad, bad when y'all didn't see Free in that photo. And I love it because it's like, don't play with us about our girl. I love that. I love to see that, especially about black women. But y'all was tweeting us like it was our fault that she wasn't there and we had nothing to do with the fact that she was not there. I don't even got to read the tweets because they all said the same thing. Where's free, Where's free? Where's free? Where's free? Where's free? Where's free? Y'all know why we all here? Free actually addressed that. Let me read her actual caption that she posted. So Free said because she started to see it too. People were literally tagging her in things because she like they were. Y'all were going off so bad in the comments and the comments on Instagram when I posted it to Twitter. So she posted and said, I hate that I couldn't make it, but tooth work was scheduled. I will see y'all on June ninth for the Beet Awards. All I know is we celebrating that twenty five years ago one O six in part was created.
Speaker 3: I'm forever grateful to have been a part.
Speaker 2: And then she tagged Steven Grant Hill, who was one of the big execs over at BT at the time when they were there, and she said, love to Infinity, see y'all soon.
Speaker 3: So y'all, we did not.
Speaker 2: How dare y'all even think that we would just not include Free?
Speaker 3: Like when I tell y'all.
Speaker 2: I was excited about this interview for weeks, and I was sad because originally I wasn't even supposed to be here in New York.
Speaker 3: I was supposed to be in Texas shooting in the.
Speaker 2: Campaign, and then my flight got canceled, so I was able to be here. I was running off of two hours of sleep, but I was like, I'm gonna get up and I'm gonna get dressed and I'm gonna be.
Speaker 3: Cute because I need my photo for free.
Speaker 2: So I was disappointed she didn't come as well, but you know, happy to know that she will be there for the reunion during the BET Awards. Yeah, so y'all can please. The tweet is still going, y'all, don't read. I posted what she said to y'all still don't read, but I appreciate the engagement. Though low riders be locked and this has been another episode of the Latest with Laura La Rose, And I tell y'all this all the time. Y'all could be anywhere with anybody, because at the end of the day, there's.
Speaker 3: Always a lot to talk about.
Speaker 2: But y'all choose to be right here with me, and I appreciate y'all for that i'll catch y'all in my next episode,