Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of We're rope Dropping Disney Trend. My name's Jack O'Brien. I'm thrilled to be joined by my guest.
Speaker 2: Host, andrewd What.
Speaker 1: I'm still here, and I am still here. I am back from Disneyland.
Speaker 3: You did it.
Speaker 2: I did it.
Speaker 1: We went to Disneyland for my son's birthday. I got real into it. I started using the phrase rope drop as a verb. I was like, all right, we're going to rope drop the Rise of the Resistance. Then we're going to head right over to the Millennium Falcon. Then we're it all worked out. It was it was like a you know, we were undefeated.
Speaker 4: Just did you get Let's see my two Disneyland things are corn dogs for some reason, those are my favorite corn dogs on Earth.
Speaker 2: Really and doll whip? Did they have a doll whip?
Speaker 3: Doll whip in more places?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: We did the doll whip with the Tiki Room, which was a good place to take a nap.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there's it's funny.
Speaker 1: There's just like various parts of Disneyland that have not been updated in decades, and like seal it and those are some of the better parts, like we went on Pirates of the Caribbean and that ride feels creaky, like you can literally hear the creaking of the animatronics in some instances, and uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, little nice gears of the Difference engine turn and the Pirates stare at you so much of it. The fudge, for some reason always hits the fudge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't do fudge. It did do dull whip.
Speaker 3: I never consider fudge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna do it next time.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize how close it was. Yeah, how doable.
Speaker 1: Disney Land is from Los Angeles, and now my kids know that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're gonna you're gonna enjoy the next five to ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also a pretty small part, like I was, I felt like we had done everything we came to do by like two o'clock in the afternoon. May Well, I don't know about all the stuff, but.
Speaker 4: That's the uh, that's the dark side of the rope drop. You don't realize. The actual experience at Disneyland is waiting in line.
Speaker 3: And if you don't wait in line a time, you're gonna be out of to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it goes quick.
Speaker 1: Anyways, you know, we talk on tomorrow's episode about Biden's statement, but you know, on on the subject of the student protest, we have an update on the UCLA encampment, where there were over two hundred people students arrested this morning. Overnight cops came in and arrested hundreds of peaceful protesters after ignoring violent pro Zionist protesters the night before and letting them tear the encampment apart and throw old women around while screaming you stand no chance, old lady, like the like that that's a literal quote, like.
Speaker 3: These people see themselves as the good guys.
Speaker 4: It's like like this is, yeah, assaulting people in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: May stand no chance, old lady is such a fucking cobra Kai thing to say. It's so wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like Baine would be like two on the nose, chill the fuck out.
Speaker 1: But anyways, those people not only were they like not arrested, but like I don't think anyone expected them to be, Like there wasn't even there was no news story about that. There's no like everyone's just like no, yeah, they're on the same side as the police, so yeah, yeah, they're just they're lad.
Speaker 4: I mean, on the off chance anyone listening to this is on the fence, like when you're on the same side as the cops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're on the wrong side.
Speaker 1: Yeah go Google, you stand no chance, old lady. And then god, yeah, anyways, let's talk about what have you been watching anything?
Speaker 2: Andrew anything, I will.
Speaker 4: Say, I guess I've been on a like, not horror kick, but like a weirdo unpleasant movies kick.
Speaker 3: So not not that.
Speaker 4: They're bad, but like just unpleasant, kind of grimy. So I watched The People's Joker, Monkey Man, and Abigail in like kind of quick, like a two week period. Nice, and yeah, all those movies, they really they all have a real solid element of like this might be the new trilogy of you know, It's smell crazy in there, because like just everything and all those movies just looks like it fucking stinks, right.
Speaker 2: Civil War also had those the most Recentlyvie. I watched it and we talked a lot about that.
Speaker 1: I have Civil War has not sat great, Like the Jesse Plemons scene still continues to I'm like for most of that scene, I'm like, that's some of the best moments of movie that I saw. This year, but it's very brief, and the journalism aspect of it just I don't know. It is not sat well. The more I've thought about it, the more I've been like, wait, what what? Why are I following them around?
Speaker 4: I know people love this movie, and the leg that people have to stand on with me is that I have not seen it yet. But from what I've heard and from what I saw in the marketing, I think the movie is not for me. And I'm doubly convinced of this because when I tweeted that like no movie, some version of like no movie that is called Civil War that has fewer primary black cast members as captain American Civil War is really going to do it for me, people got mad at me, but exclusively white guys got mad at me.
Speaker 3: So I was like, I still feel like I'm on the right track.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: Mind being on the opposite side of the white film guys.
Speaker 1: It is, Yeah, I mean it's an abstraction like that. There is the central point of like we want you to see war in other countries the way like with fresh eyes, by showing you what a war like that would look like in America. But like they've gone through so many levels of abstraction to do that in a way that like feels like politically centrict.
Speaker 4: It's like, like, take a stand on that and live in the real world because we're still living in the Civil War.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, yeah, and we're still living in the original American Civil War.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Alex Garland the brit If you just want to show the horrors of modern warfare in what it would look like to Americans to make an emotional point, I'm just saying war of eighteen twelve, baby, just have the sas bomb Washington.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: Whatever, I don't know jackshit about Britain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's close enough.
Speaker 1: Anything else you I think you were mentioning off Mike that you're experimenting with your like mic redosing parenthood.
Speaker 3: Well I was.
Speaker 4: I was with my nephew in Atlanta for the last week and I watched Listen. It's just a saying where like where you are in charge of a kids media or like you have to be party to it. Like he loves Elmo, but he also loves this guy called Blippy, which I genuinely would have assumed was like speaking of people's joker. It also looks like a timon Eric sketch like where I'm just like, this.
Speaker 3: Is this is a bit right, this.
Speaker 2: Is changed, yeah, unhinged, like.
Speaker 4: It's it is like one of those things that like if Blippy was around your kids. So Blippy is a guy who wears like what orange overalls, giant puffy like yeah, but has like cocaine energy but talking to kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like make glasses.
Speaker 4: You can see his teeth gritting as he's explaining in the one I watched like trains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're just like, you would.
Speaker 3: Not let this guy near actual children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it's too too here it comes to the train to too, because that's still on my kids playlist.
Speaker 2: It still comes along every once in a while. I kind of change it fast enough.
Speaker 1: But he also, yeah, Blippy was a constant battle that I won.
Speaker 2: I ultimately won. Like we didn't.
Speaker 1: I spent very little time watching Blippy. Uh, and my kids never really got to the stage where they were like Blippy was a fixture in their life.
Speaker 2: It was a battle. It was a battle, I will say.
Speaker 4: And this is something my sister said that I chose in the moment not to interrogate, and I'll just repeat it here because it made no sense to me. But she was like, we don't let him watch Thomas the Tank Engine.
Speaker 3: Because it's like fashion.
Speaker 4: She said, yeah, she was like it's fascist, and I was like, I'm not gonna interrogate this at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's all about usefulness.
Speaker 1: It's like fascist in a way that like when you think about it and like write an essay on it, you're like, oh, yeah, this is fascist.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like if you're very thoughtful, you recognize that it's fascist, because yeah, they they will, like the characters get depressed when they can't be useful anymore, and it's.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's it's a little weird.
Speaker 1: Thomas the Tank Engine. It just has a strange vibe to it. I did not successfully win that battle because my son was obsessed with trains at that at that developmental stage.
Speaker 2: But we're through it. He turned out fine for now.
Speaker 3: For now, just wait on gets his first job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, all right, we should talk about Boeing. Joshua Dean was fired by Boeing supplier Spirit Aerosystems in twenty twenty three after flagging safety concerns. He then filed a complaint with the FAA and now Dean is the second Boeing linked whistleblower to have died in the last two months, which is a concerning number of dead Boeing linked whistleblowers, Like the first one was concerning kind of reminds me of when like Kevin Spacey's accusers kept mysteriously dying and.
Speaker 2: It's I don't know.
Speaker 1: He was in good health until two weeks ago when he went to the hospital complaining of trouble breathing, and he died of a difficult to treat bacterial infection.
Speaker 2: So I mean, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, I don't know the specifics of this. It's just like a young, healthy person the first person allegedly committed suicide.
Speaker 3: It's so fucking dark too.
Speaker 4: That like the thing reading this and thinking about this most recent stuff and having just flown in a plane actually is like I'm starting to realize that Boeing's passenger jet business is just whitewashing the rest of their actual business. Like right, seven thirty seven's exist to make you think Boeing just makes passenger planes and that's like everyone's like primary like primary interaction with the Boeing brand. So because initially you're like, oh, that seems a little wild that like whistleblowers would get like could even consider to be like, you know whatever, conspiracy, conspiracy or whatever because of Boeing.
Speaker 3: What is Boeing do? Boeing just makes those things that lot like dolphins and this stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like they're like, oh no, no, there they're an arms manufacturer.
Speaker 3: And those people probably do murder people allegedly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't know, I feel like Boeing should be watching out for the safety of every whistleblower who has ever said a bad word about them, like their parents of a toddler at this point, like I'm blaming them for any.
Speaker 2: Whistleblower deaths going forward regardless.
Speaker 4: I don't, you know, I don't Yeah, they're I just I think the world today has now led me to believe that high end evil is working under a no press as bad press policy because they just don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talk on tomorrow's episode.
Speaker 1: Miles talked yesterday about the bike lock thing, the NYPD being like this bike lock is clearly the work of high level terrorists because look how thick the chain is. It's just not even trying anymore. Would be the like phrase that like they're not trying, and I haven't been for a while, Like I mean, they it's just I don't know.
Speaker 2: The Boeing thing is scary.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you America steers out of this one where like the most powerful actors and the most like legally protected entities are the.
Speaker 2: Same thing, and like corporations, you know.
Speaker 4: So I mean not knowing how America gets out of this one is I feel like you're gonna be saying.
Speaker 3: That a lot. Bro Yeah, a couple of them.
Speaker 1: That's what makes it so exciting to now that we're like coming to the end of this season to see how the writers get it out of this one. It's gonna be see how America gets out of this pickle. Anyways, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and hit another couple of stories. We'll be right back, and we're back and Christineoam has what a week. I mean we started off week talking about I mean, we started the week like on Sunday, the last I had heard is Christine nom presumptive vice presidential running mate for Donald Trump. Then comes word of her upcoming memoir having a story about her killing her dog, and then the backlash murdering a puppy, I should I should say, like straight up murdering a puppy. So now you know, she is officially considered like off limits, not going to be the vice presidential candidate, and now we're on the like too little, too late apology tour.
Speaker 4: That's so Honestly, though, one of the more shocking bits of this is how this would be disqualifying for a Republican candidate of any kind.
Speaker 3: This is the line is here? People?
Speaker 1: Yeah Jesus, yeah, I mean listen to country songs that's you know, or watch watch movies and recognize that dogs are the only thing that can't be killed for the most part. But she came through to explain we were her second chance. Uh. The day she was put down was a day that she massacred livestock that were part of our neighbors. She attacked me and it was a hard decision. So like kind of has the tone of like somebody talking to you after like atbr addressing the nation after.
Speaker 2: After D Day.
Speaker 3: I had to do it. She was put down.
Speaker 2: Now was a day but yeah, she you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the the sociopathic dog murdering allegations are not going away with this one.
Speaker 2: No, It turns out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just like to imagine, like what it's like what her assistant is putting up with right now, Like I don't like to imagine. But that's I guess anybody who is Christy Nomes's assistant them.
Speaker 3: But gets what they deserve. But it is a little like, you know, no one, no editor was like a A, I mean.
Speaker 1: That who they're the editor of this book should be getting a promotion because they fucking like that was It's about the notes you don't play, Andrew, it's about the edits you don't make, and they've fucking nailed this one by not editing that out. They're just like, uh huh oh wow, we should go into that a little bit more. What else do you remember about that day? All the construction crew saw you? Huh wow, And what an interesting thing to remember, almost like you considered killing every one of them.
Speaker 4: Also, yeah, I mean I guess the triangulation is this makes her tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a political she makes the hard decisions. Sometimes you got to put the fucking puppy down. Uh it's yeah, I think that was it. The fact that she did it and then killed a goat like bloodlust, just.
Speaker 3: Like it wasnated. What else could I kill? What else could I kill?
Speaker 2: Let's go fucking bleak, fucking bleak world.
Speaker 1: All right, we have some good news at long last, Arizona has repealed This is like good news in a very narrow, narrow scope, like don't look too many months back when just the fact that this had to be done is bad news. The good news is Arizona is repealing it's Civil War era abortion ban. The bill was passed by the Senate and we'll be signed by Governor Katie Hobbs on Thursday. The not so good news the repeal only narrowly passed six team to fourteen because two Republicans sided with Democrats, and it doesn't actually take effect until ninety days after the end of the legislative session, which could mean June or July, or if the Republicans try to extend the session into the fall.
Speaker 2: So you know, and just yea wild wild that this was even a thing that happened.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it's like.
Speaker 4: We're in such a terrible place with all the political parties, obviously, but it is probably worth noting that if they got their choice, Republicans would restore all laws.
Speaker 3: To the Civil War era, right, So yeah, that is what it is.
Speaker 1: Also, Yeah, not in alex Garlands Civil war. All right, everyone's cool, We're just We're just there's a.
Speaker 4: Lot of a lot of great points on both sides.
Speaker 1: They're also maybe competing ballot measures for both pro choice and anti choice groups in the fall.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, it's not over, but at least I don't know.
Speaker 1: It also feels like this is because Donald Trump had like the day before this passed, He's like, why don't we leave it up to the states. States can decide, and then like a state comes through with the wildest, most unpopular law passage that you could possibly imagine. So I think they got some nasty emails from the Trump campaign.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 4: I don't envy you having to think about this every day through the election.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what ely here occasionally.
Speaker 1: That is why we invented here on the Daily Zeitgeist, the hard reset, which is when you take a thera gun and put it to.
Speaker 2: Your temple and uh oblivion. We do not recommend you do that at home.
Speaker 1: That's only for people who host the show. Yeah, all right, Andrew, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Where can people find you? Follow you? All the good stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, is this racist? You know what? I also wanted to say.
Speaker 4: This is not directly involved, but Solidarity and Snacks is a mutual aid group that I work with out here, and I actually was just looking at our chat. We are running low on funds, as are many, many, many mutual aid groups. And I know money's side for everyone, but Solidarity and Snacks there's venmo links on the Instagram and stuff, and I don't know every penny you give gets on on the streets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll link off for that in the footnote. All right, that is going to do it for us this Thursday afternoon. We are back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you tomorrow by
Speaker 3: Eight