Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reasoned Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, Welcome home everybody. This is Andrew Gillim. I'm here with my beautiful hot hot literally hot co host. You are.
Speaker 3: I know, we host.
Speaker 4: We introduce you, Tiviny Crime and who are you?
Speaker 5: My name is Angela Rye. I'm live from the set and right woll.
Speaker 1: Technically we're just off the set.
Speaker 6: The Will Packer Amphitheater. We don't even have Will Packer with us today.
Speaker 7: I'm in.
Speaker 1: Also Florida and m But also you got a special relationship with Will.
Speaker 3: That's right, I tell you know.
Speaker 8: I text him a picture of the Will Packer and theater.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he didn't have one proud of it.
Speaker 3: He's the.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome home, everybody. We got a special special show and we're actually gonna get right into it because you know, we started a little bit later. Angelia insisted that the stage not have any covering, So.
Speaker 5: I'm really sorry, sorry.
Speaker 1: For all of our guests. Will be coming forward throughout the day. Just as you start to feel the sweat drip down your face, and through your shirt. You can thank Angelou Raie for having selected again no.
Speaker 5: Covering for also did and that is put napkins under your boobs.
Speaker 6: It works very well.
Speaker 3: How women know about it?
Speaker 1: Okay, we just re from being a PG thirteen show. Now you know we're explicit, So everybody again explicit.
Speaker 6: It's not explicit either.
Speaker 1: Way, y'all. We're about to get ready. Welcome to the highest of seven heels, Florida Agriculture and Mechanical University, also known as BAMN.
Speaker 3: If you say for mood.
Speaker 1: We know that you are not related to any of us. If you say at a m you we know that you were a guest. Will treat you as a visitor.
Speaker 7: The king.
Speaker 1: I was not the King of Origin and Green, but you should have been.
Speaker 8: Stage Go put on your hand, go put on your hand. I know, but you're blocking, can't you.
Speaker 1: He's a politician, our friend, your friend and our leader here in the state of Florida from Florida Senate is about to be joined by our future leader Florida Senate. In fact, both are senators. I think, I said the Florida House of Florida Senate Shevard Jones, alumnus of Florida Agricul University, Sir and future senator, former SGA president here two times, SGA president at Florida A and M University president. I was, but he hit it two times. It was so nice he had to do it twice. Check when that comes from them. But importantly, gentlemen, we are so so so happy to have you. Actually, I'm happy to have you. This is home for me, but it is also, by extension, home for these ladies. Yes, Angela calls herself an honorary rattler.
Speaker 7: I consent.
Speaker 1: I agree, uh, and Tiffany is another you along.
Speaker 3: But happy to be.
Speaker 8: It's all one big family and they but happy to be here. But yeah, bring it, as they're saying, the church bringing greetings, university.
Speaker 6: Up the road.
Speaker 1: Send any sin go single money, Oh Lord, send any money. Okay, when you bring greetings, see one to know that they send it past package. Welcome anyway, Senator, Yes, sir, I hope that you're up here not only celebrating homecoming, but helping to recruit a new colleague into the state Senate.
Speaker 9: Listen, I sent him some some love yesterday and we got to sing him a little bit more to get him across the finishing line.
Speaker 1: All right, yeah, I sent him some money, yes, Aryl asked.
Speaker 10: Well, without question, Well, unfortunately the fundraising deadline was yesterday, but he did send money in time.
Speaker 11: I did. Yep.
Speaker 7: Maybe give me my props. Now, what's up?
Speaker 6: Daryl said, to be clear, as as an attorney, I did not violate.
Speaker 10: They're good, they're not, you know, but we're doing great. Senator Jones and his colleagues have done a great job of helping my campaign. Andrew saidate Democrats actually coming together to win a race, and I think on on Tuesday, we're gonna take back the Senate seat and flip it.
Speaker 7: Then we're gonna flip.
Speaker 10: The seat back right, and we're gonna This is the number one legislators race in the state, and we all have gotten behind it to win it. So it's been a very collective effort on our part.
Speaker 8: I've seen a lot of your commercials. They are like back to back in there, Yes, which is great. But a lot of our viewers are outside of Florida. So if people who don't live in Florida, what is the relevancy your race? Why should they care? Why should they pay attention? Or they if they're hearing they should be so moved to send a donation for the next tone, I know, but for the next line, when you ask for re election, tell the people why they should care.
Speaker 10: It's the significance of it. So the Republicans came a couple of years ago. They jeremeded this particular district and designed it so that the Republican would have a better chance of winning. And they created a super district, so it's thirteen counties, it covers twenty percent of the geographic area of the whole state. And then they went and got a former football player, gave him lots of money and flipped the seat. And you probably recall our governor when he was campaigning in Iowa, he would brag about that there was a state Senate seat that had been Democratic for one hundred years. They flipped it for Democrat to republic And so this particular seat also, though, is one of the seats that gave the republic As the supermajority. So now we need to flip two seats back to take that super majority away. But that's important to the seat, and so we thought it important, I mean really in philosophically and what it represents to flip the seat back to Democrat. So I was lucky enough one decided that I could. I was that one of the people that could make this happen. And two the Senate Democrats sheriving in his colleagues decided that they would invest in it. And so the cool thing about it is that I had two eight hundred donors in the primary. And so you've seen a whole bunch of folks around the country, around the state, and around the city come and help me and did as I city. Today we probably have over four thousand donors, so we've raised Collectively, they raised about three point one million. I raised about two point six million on my side of it, and we're taking the seat back.
Speaker 5: Can you just for the sound, folks, if you can keep our mics up so we can hear each other, especially with the music, that'd be great.
Speaker 6: I want to ask you, Darryl, like, what was the impetus for you?
Speaker 5: You've been a civil rights lawyer, you've been on the ethics committee with the Bar, You've really dedicated your life to advocacy and service.
Speaker 6: What made you want to run for public office?
Speaker 10: Well, Angela is normally, I mean when you live in a good life like most folks in America. You see what's going on, and as Andrew tell you, we're very close. So I was involved in when Andrew ran and been around.
Speaker 7: Florida is important.
Speaker 10: Florida represents a lot to my family, to everything that I belong, that I am. And when you see what the people in power are doing, how they're managing it, you have to ask yourself that somebody capable has to start the cycle the flip. You just can't keep giving up. And so, like you say, being and I did great civil rights work. I have a great name in this town. I knew and the Republicans knew that I was the type of person that could beat their guy. And we're beating their guy. And on Tuesday, he's going home back to the couch.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: I know y'all are visiting Angela and Tiffany. But and the ads that his opponent is running and he's certainly an otherwise decent person, is spending most of this time talking biography, and we come together. Now he's the incumbent. When you the incumbent in the seat, everybody knows you talk about what you've done public policy wise, how you've improved the area in which you have been elected to represent And I found it interesting, Darryl that as between the two of you, you're the one talking about.
Speaker 6: Issues the incumbent that sound familiar.
Speaker 1: It's not talking about but that's what that's what the Republicans constantly run on.
Speaker 9: If you even look at Corey Senator Simon and what he has done since he's been in this I mean sending assignment, I mean he signed with the Republicans on all of the black history, elimination of black history, as far as ap African American studies. He ran the bill in the Education Committee, and we even when asked to him in committee like yo, dude, you you're a black man running a bill like this, and his justification of it was just mind blowing, not just to the Democrats, even to the people on his side and how he was able to convey a message of reasoning or why did he support this type of legislation. I also say why we need Daryl in the Senate is because we're deadlocked.
Speaker 7: We're gonna have a three fourth.
Speaker 9: So by the time we get into the legislator, whether we show up or not, they can start session or whether we're going to committee or not. We can't break nothing, but with this one, I know we can't because I believe there is an absolute pushback that's going to have to happen, because I think they are already setting up what they want to do for next session.
Speaker 7: They wanna make it harder for ballot.
Speaker 6: Initiatives next year.
Speaker 1: Of course, I know for a fact they're.
Speaker 9: Gonna go after local governments again, and we need to have the numbers to be able to block a lot of this stuff that's absolutely happening. I think they're going to continue to eat at our public education system. And it's not something that I am talking hypothetical. I'm talking something that I know what's happening, that absolutely brewing in the background.
Speaker 1: So could you explain to me why it is that Florida and the Florida Legislature is gifting the country so many black Republican elected officials. We got Byron Donaldson, Donalds.
Speaker 6: Donald donald disrespect on his name.
Speaker 1: I didn't know him.
Speaker 6: He ain't even finished here, Donaldson.
Speaker 1: Donald's. We got Simon, who we hopefully will be retiring soon. But what about the Florida Legislature keeps producing these.
Speaker 3: Byron Donaldson Toby.
Speaker 6: To stop making I have.
Speaker 10: Pledged and they have a new one too, called Grace Glass. She's running against Gallop right now. Oh really, Grace Glass is her name. She's from Bavard County. She came here to work for the say this real? And so I said, I was at a Ya politic with these people and that beautiful young lady and I was trying to understand her psyche. Yeah, and so so at lunch, I hope I didn't really disrespectful, I said, was you are a real Republican.
Speaker 3: I think I just I want to.
Speaker 8: Take a quick moment just to our viewers, because if you're tuning in and you don't live in Florida, you you might be, you know, maybe not as focused on Florida issues. So I think it's important for our viewers out there to know who are all across the country that a lot of these crappy policies bubble up from the state legislature. Right now, a majority of state legislatures are run by Republicans. So before you all ever heard about book bands, before you ever heard about the attacks on critical race theory that originated in Florida. It originated at a lot of school board meetings. It originated and then that bubled up to state legislature. So that's why we're talking the local elected officials. So I just want to make it make sense for the folks out there as much as you guys.
Speaker 10: Again, but it all starts from the twenty twenty five national policy. So what you really see is kind of like that alex model that we saw years ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Legislative Exchange councilor yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's the Republicans.
Speaker 10: That's tough Conference twenty twenty five in the sense right they go they pull these policies from that meeting and they started running in bills.
Speaker 5: Like in play yes, literally copy and paste. Well, we are so grateful that you all have joined us today.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 5: We are thrilled to have you, and we know that we're going to see you around. Right off this set, we are Andrew.
Speaker 1: Before we let them go, they quickly give us their estimation of what will happen for Harris Wallas of Florida.
Speaker 9: I think that that Vice President Harris will do well in Florida, and I think plus one really wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Florida's gonna go blue.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm gonna tell you why.
Speaker 9: Because people are not paying attention to the independence Independences are leading Democrat. There are a third YEP, and we're learning that in Miami Dade County while Miami Dade County, I know, our numbers are looking pretty weird right now, but we have more independents who are leaning Democrat, and we're novging because we did track Poland and we're noticing that they are leaning towards Kamla Harris.
Speaker 7: So I think it's going to be a big upset. And the Republicans are they are running scared.
Speaker 9: They're running scared on three, they're running scared on four, They're running scared on candidates because it's unpredictable because it is that left leg. And we just saw some numbers while I was driving here today that showed that as far as where the independents are lining up in Miami Dade County, particularly in one one of them, and I say, this is gonna shut up that even in Miami Dade County in District one thirteen, the Independents have voted over the Republicans almost plus two point three percent in jj r's old district, which is wow, just democratic.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, that's six.
Speaker 3: What you got to say, without question, what we.
Speaker 11: Did as early as last week.
Speaker 10: We see we have an eight point advantage with independence, So independence are that edge. And you know, for example, you get these news reporters saying, well, the Republicans are really showing up.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's showing up.
Speaker 10: But one, this is a fifture three percent Democratic district that I'm running in and we have an eight point advantage, which is outside the era of Roger Vera.
Speaker 7: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, we want to think again. Our guests one sitting Senator Chevyn Jones and the Florida Senator and in just five more days, our next four more day days, the next Senator for the State of Florida, Democrats Attorney.
Speaker 5: Next up, we have Melanie Campbell, who is the President and CEO of the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation.
Speaker 6: We have our good sister shavon.
Speaker 5: Our Line Bradley, who is the President and CEO of the National Council of Negro Women. And we have doctor Stacy Grant, the international president for Zeta Phi Beta Sorority. Clap it up as they the state get, we get some, we get some.
Speaker 8: I can't take another piece of clothing on me. Are so hot, I'm I'm about to lose cling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, behind right behind you.
Speaker 6: So good to see you. Thank you, guys.
Speaker 1: Get those couches together.
Speaker 6: We don't want to Oh yeah, they has a careful yeah, why to get there there?
Speaker 3: I want you all to know. It's about one and thirty degrees.
Speaker 8: But I hear, I feel a fan and it's a lively environment here on famu's campus. I heard Black Street earlier and then at some point I hope we do the can we Talk challenge? Can we It's like when they start playing can We Talk? And then they goes out and the whole audience.
Speaker 6: Oh, the whole song. Yeah, that's a great idea. Till yeah, Well, we have some powers on the stage joining us.
Speaker 5: One thing that we know, and I think Andrew will attest, it's given the powerful black woman he's married to, and the powerful black mom and he raised.
Speaker 6: Him and his powerful black sister. And if we wile black co hosts, oh yes, oh yes.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: The other thing I'm gonna say was what we know is that when black women are involved, we can get the thing done every time. So talk to us about the work you all are doing right now in a very nonpartisan way, because I know you are in your non pos yes, you got them on.
Speaker 6: But talk about the importance of the black vote this season.
Speaker 5: What you all are hearing you all are in battleground states, traveling the country making sure that we are getting out to exercise our franchise because we know democracy is fragile and it's hanging in the balance.
Speaker 12: Well, first of all, thank you all for so I'm so excited to hear yes, come to my home state exactly. You know, you know I went to Clark but you know HBC, you love and as we sit in our aka both delta but real quickly been on this tour. We started a year ago in Florida for thirty days, just going from community community, listening to the folks to let us know what was concerning them. And then we did it again in the spring. But since October twelfth, we've been in seven states with its Power to Ballot tour. That it's called Freedom and Joy.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love it.
Speaker 12: And our tagline is we won't be erased and we won't go back. Somehow that's become a part of some term but I don't know why, but you know, it is what it is. But what we've been, what I have seen and what we've seen is that black folks are fired up, that we are right. And also I was talking to uh Uh Shavan and telling them when I hit Pittsburgh, that's when you saw some of the other uglinesses out there.
Speaker 7: Is ugliness is out there now.
Speaker 12: But our people are clear that African drum beats beating that we know this is not the normal election.
Speaker 1: This is of our future.
Speaker 6: And uh and young people all over this campus. We've been over here.
Speaker 12: We've been here since yesterday, but we've been in Michigan and Ohio and Pennsylvania, Maryland, Georgia, Alabama. We're not gonna forget the South, and that's why we're in Florida as well.
Speaker 7: But it's it's it's something.
Speaker 6: It's been something, and it's also been exciting and evailorating because we're not going nowhere.
Speaker 1: We built this country, as Angela says, for free.
Speaker 3: It's data five Beta.
Speaker 8: I will be remiss if I did not say my brother is a proud member of five Beta siblings.
Speaker 1: So love it.
Speaker 7: Yes, my father was a signal.
Speaker 6: That's why we live.
Speaker 13: We love the blue and white.
Speaker 11: I mean, we are under.
Speaker 14: But seriously though the power in being here, I too want to thank you for this conversation because everyone's paying attention to the D nine. So not only am I here as international President of Zata Phi Beta, I'm also proud to be the vice chairwoman of our councilor president. So I want to shout out the Honorable Chris Ray j D who is our chairman, and all of the presidents of the D nine. We work together as a unit. It's not just a hashtag D nine Stronger together. It's understanding that outside of the Black Church, one of the largest institutions of our people overre two point five million. So as we come together to educate our communities on what's on the ballot, that's the important part of this conversation. No stone can be left unturned. We can't take for granted that everyone is going to go to vote. So we have been intentional on our work and as our chairman would say, unless you're exhausted on November sixth, you didn't do your black job. So our job is to make sure that all of our members are not only mobilizing and educating the electorate, but they too are bringing people to the polls.
Speaker 13: They're understanding this.
Speaker 14: Is not just about the White House, it's the down ballot, right, it's to understand that every single election counts. It's working and collaborating with organizations like you see here today and being for the sororities. We're a part of NCNW, an organization of organization leaders, so we're bringing everybody to the table because our lives are on the ballots. So the power and knowing that as a D nine is more than a sorority party, as some person trying to our proclaim, but that we have been in the community for over one hundred years plus doing this work every day because our founders charged us to make the world better than how we found it through scholarships, sisterhood, and brotherhood.
Speaker 6: I have a quick question for the Reverend SHVN. I gotta ask you.
Speaker 5: We had Jamal Harrison Brian join us on our podcast and is killing it Like we're starting to see so many numbers because I think that black folks really feel torn. And I'm generalizing here, but some of us who grew up in the church feel really torn about some of the social values that we were taught that were kind of drilled into our minds. And then what is on the ballot this time? I gotta ask you says, when you're talking to folks about reproductive justice and the number of lives that hang in the balance because of what's on the ballot via initiatives, and of course with who's at the top of the ticket, how do you thread that needle.
Speaker 6: You're powerful, you are anointed.
Speaker 5: Like, let me just be very clear, this is what talks to the most time, So I want to be clear about that. I just want to know what do you say to the church folks that are like, I need to know how I'm making this point to folks who are like completely like.
Speaker 6: You know, the anti crisis at that top, you know, like nonsense.
Speaker 15: First of all, I love it. I'm so excited to hear. And I think one of the things I have to do with is called I call it moral mischief because it's context. But people have been taught, it's been ingrained in us to other people in the church, and an issue like reproductive justice for me is personal and Angeley knows this. I mean, I struggle intensely with conceiving and have lost children, and the condition that I had, I actually would have lost care under the current DoD's decision. So the children that I lost, I could have been arrested for some of the procedures that I had to actually have. And I've birthed one son, and I tell people all the time in the church, this is not about your conviction. This is about constitutional freedom. You can have your belief. No one's ever tried to change your belief. But what we are saying is if they can come in and tell you what to do with your body, what happens when they come in and say you can't go to this church anymore. What happens when they take you Jesus away from you? What happens when they tell you you can't go to that school, you can't go to this school? And the moral mischief, it is so consuming of us because we feel like we're gonna go to hell if we say these steps, and it scares people even.
Speaker 7: Away from the polls.
Speaker 15: So you'll see black preachers saying things like I can't vote for ex party right and playing it plays a game that confuses the mind. And I'm gonna tell you something. It is a concerted effort. It is a coordinated plan. And to the evangelizic evangelical Christians that are out there, let me tell you something. Evangelical just means to evangelize.
Speaker 3: They have their word, and it is wrong.
Speaker 15: Black people are actually evangelical because we tell good news, we evangelize. But what the political pundits have done is use that word, kidnapped it, misconstrued and confused minds to make you think that that if I now am evangelical, if I am pro life, well, if you're pro life, then that means you're pro all life. That means your pro Black life, your pro Brown life, you're pro all life for all the stages, in all ages and spaces. Let me close with this around the church and the faith piece, because Black people are a people of resilience and we are a people of faith, whatever your faith is. But we are still the largest number of Americans that attend the church. Now as that's still decreasing, our population still engages in fellowship. And this is why I call on black preachers, want to advance your black women clergy, the ones that can give life, so we can speak.
Speaker 7: About the life that we are affecting.
Speaker 15: But also I tell my brothers and sisters behind the claw, do not misconstrue the Gospel for your own plan. Do not do that, because that's not what Jesus does. Jesus is justice. It's an alignment. And if we're talking about this social justice space voting, this is of God. It is of God for you to go to vote. Why because he calls on us to engage in the governor's work. That's what we talked about in the world. So we are really seeing a the real challenge in the body of Christ where black and white and Hispanic and Asian are all in this molthy pot of confusion. But the Black Church is being called out in a way that is just so disgusting, but it is so racist, and that's what that's actually how this institution started.
Speaker 3: An I want to.
Speaker 8: Just say really quickly because there are so many people I know being weaned on the teachings of Washington, DC that you all are common knowledge to us, But there are so many young people, unfortunately, who are not familiar with the work of NCNW National Council of Negro Women founded by doctor Dorothy Hyde. I was vice president of the Millennial section that was forever ago, twenty four years ago. Yeah, I learned how to organized through National Council of Negro Women, and that was meant to carry the message for younger people, and it's time for another generation of younger people to carry forward the mission of NC ANDW.
Speaker 3: So I wanted to offer our viewers that background.
Speaker 8: But I also want to point out I met a woman in the audience who is an advocate for Amendment for Right here in floor Florida, which essentially codifies abortion rights here in the state. Something shocking is that they were told they could not tent or table here at fam you. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to look into the background of it, but my surmise perhaps because it may.
Speaker 3: Be an issue with state funded schools.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Republicans leadership Ron DeSantis, who has invested interest in silencing these voices and making sure that this amendment doesn't pass, And our previous guests talked about how important ballid initiatives are. So this is where why we have local elected officials here, This is where the local government meets the federal government and Republicans at one point in time, we're all about small government except when it comes to our bodies, except our choice, productive rights, and our choices exactly, except when it comes to anything that they want to have control over. So I just wanted to make sure that we highlight Amendment for right here in Florida. Please, if you are a resident of Florida, I'll look into it.
Speaker 3: Do the right thing.
Speaker 8: And I want to thank the woman in the audience who told me about amendment for it. Thank you for being here with us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I and the we need to keep allies like you all at the national level close to states like Florida. For sure, as we laid out previous to your arrival, that these states oftentimes are the play field for much of what ultimately happens at the federal level. They tested with the guinea pigs. For sure. Ron de Santis is the biggest of the of the perpetrators of making Florida the guinea pig of the new extreme right. You talked about the suspension of these rights on campuses, but he's spent over I think the estimate is over fifty million in public taxpayer dollars against.
Speaker 6: Well, that's why we came a year ago.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 6: We know what the state would have.
Speaker 12: Been like had you That's happening in our home state, which is why we wanted to make sure we stayed a whole month.
Speaker 6: When we started.
Speaker 12: This was because so many things and what we wanted to point out about Florida was if you want to know what fascism looks like, come to this of Florida. And so what I'm seeing though, is a resurgence of organizing in this state. And because the numbers have always been there, right, And so he came run a second time, right, And I was glad to see them, just speaking as a.
Speaker 7: Native of Florida.
Speaker 12: Yes, and see Darren Parks up here and I ran into it earlier home. And how important it is that we don't turn this state over because the numbers are there. Florida has a young demographic. People still see Florida, you see Mickey Mouse and all that. But when it comes and then they say retirement. The truth of the matter, you know this that a lot of young people the state has changed, and the numbers are there that I believe that there's gonna be surgeon. And the reason we're in the South too, is because if sixty percent of black people live in the South, if we want to see this country change, we have to make sure the South changes.
Speaker 6: In Alabama, but take them, that's such.
Speaker 8: A it's such a common understanding. Like the racism and the suppression is almost baked in and how the media covers the electoral map. What would it take given that a majority of us either currently live in the South or we originate from the South, and there are small pockets of evidence of a remigration, you know, where people are the South right, So what does it take to actually change those numbers? And I asked Mellie, because you know this, when we were in Atlanta, Atlanta in the nineties was a different city. Today I look at Atlanta and this is no shade. I grew up in Atlanta. I love Atlanta, but there are so many transplants who do not appreciate what the magic is of having that black ass city run by black officials, creating black wealth with black homeowners, black college graduates taught by black people. And I think when transplants come and they like the city of Oz, everything is gold. And I run a studio in my baseman and I got a hair salon or whatever. But it takes responsibility to hold on to that. So what does it take to change the South?
Speaker 6: Vote next year?
Speaker 10: Vote in these state legislative races.
Speaker 3: That has stated trouble.
Speaker 12: The power dynamic in these states because of state like Mississippi, we saw try to move up now.
Speaker 6: The reality is when they.
Speaker 12: Control the legislature, they those who don't believe in inclusion, take over the state legislation, take over the governors races, and then they take over the census.
Speaker 7: Then you end up with this like reversal.
Speaker 12: And you're trying to come back to it, but we have to really find a way, uh, to to continue next year, to keep it's going, because.
Speaker 6: That's the only way going otherwise, you know.
Speaker 13: And then.
Speaker 15: That's what I'm gonna say, because you can be the blackest state in the Union and still not have power in the state legislature.
Speaker 3: That's which makes no sense.
Speaker 15: So the real question will it becomes is one who's running to who's mobilizing? And then three where where does real power line? Because that's the real question we have to start answering. This question about power has been the challenge. The dynamics won't shift until the people see themselves as the power. So that's that that comes from us mobilizing, that comes from these the Native Land podcast is power because you get to own the message, you get to own the content, the context. But if we're raising young generations to not see themselves as the power, then they're not gonna run.
Speaker 7: They're not gonna see.
Speaker 16: Value in this.
Speaker 15: So there's no way we can say that we're and we always see I'm I'm a Jersey girl, so I'm a by way of Florida planned city. And I feel I think about why we say the South has something to say. The South already has said it, but has the South mobilized to get it? And what I'm saying is that this black excellence about Atlanta is real. Manard Jackson was a whole phenomenon in.
Speaker 6: And of itself.
Speaker 15: We're not even having that conversation about who do we train the contracts to prepare the next generation of power seekers. It's about power.
Speaker 7: It's not just money.
Speaker 15: It's power, position money access.
Speaker 3: Right, that's position money access.
Speaker 1: That's not a president you're close to. We're closing.
Speaker 6: No, no, we're not, We're not yet. Hold on.
Speaker 5: I was just gonna say, if you all see Lolo Lolo Wavier your mic in the air. We didn't say at the beginning of the show that our shows are our live shows in particular. One you all know when we send in videos to get videos from you all every week to the podcast, but when we come to you, we want to make sure that it's an active and engaged conversation, because it is so much more than just voting.
Speaker 6: It's also utilizing your voice. So we have a mic here if you have a comment or a question while we have these incredible queen's up here. Andrew, I know you had a question.
Speaker 1: Well matter first of all, impressed with you every time I say you. I was doing the dishes.
Speaker 7: My wife was at her.
Speaker 1: Work station and we heard a voice in this interview responding to Donald Trump's whole party as he neglected the work of these CERTs and sororities. And there's this voice coming over speaking powerful truth.
Speaker 13: And I put the dish.
Speaker 16: Who was.
Speaker 7: She is good?
Speaker 1: So thank you for your representation not only of obviously your illustrious organization, but more broadly for black folks, including black Greeks. I did want to ask you your your organization obviously engages with alumni, adults, folks who are fully working, but also you're closest to young people, the folks who are your training to become your future alumni. I'm curious it's just what reed you've been getting as you all have moved around the country. As a relate said, this election, the potential of Harris as the next president.
Speaker 13: Absolutely so.
Speaker 14: For us as an organization, where proud that we did establish youth auxiliaries, the first to do that, and all of us have our youth auxiliaries now that we're working with because what we're allowing them to say and giving them platform. When we vote, we're voting for them. We're voting for their future. We have our young mikaz and our arcdents. They're making policy papers, they're talking to their teachers, they're holding their own forums on why it's important for their parents to vote, their relatives to vote, because we are preparing them for what it looks like to advocate for the rights of everybody. And thank you for your kind words. What I tell everyone is when you see me, you see every other black woman in this room and on this planet. I'm not here by myself, but because so many thousand came before me whose names will never be heard. And we are drinking from wells we did not dig. So we cannot take this for granted that we are sitting here advocating as a D nine stronger together. They see our colors, they see our shields. Everyone gets excited, but it's deeper. Than the surface. It's about the mission that our founders put us on so that we can uplift the community.
Speaker 13: We can't just get and keep, we get to give.
Speaker 14: So through our service and through elevating conversations, we are able to get out of this pocket of knowing where the Black state? But how do we now prepare with strategy around how we not only keep it but advance it for the future. So when you talked about reproductive rights, I didn't share until today publicly on Alive. I could have been arrested under these rules because I lost my child in between my two sons. This is serious and I love the Lord. I'm unapologetic about it. Anybody that knows me knows I don't.
Speaker 13: Play with my Jesus.
Speaker 14: But what we cannot do is allow other people to tell our story. We can't allow other people to shift the narrative of the truth. These alternate realities.
Speaker 6: That we're hearing.
Speaker 14: It's unreal and people are confused about the truth.
Speaker 13: And I think it was John Howard Wesley. I was John where he talked about true and truth.
Speaker 14: So if you believe something to be true, right, you believe that it's okay for in this state to tell children that slavery was good for them. Then it becomes your reality and you try to convince other people to join in. This election is about setting the record straight right, It's about making sure our young people understand that when we walk into that ballot box, it's for their future. So all of our organizations have been on the ground every single state, every single community, having these conversations.
Speaker 13: Shout out to this podcast for the work.
Speaker 14: That you do, because what I'm finding is that we are suffering an necessarily in silence because we're not elevating our voices. And when we elevate our voices, then we can talk about the truth of the small margins that win these elections. Many of people stay home and get frustrated and say, well, I'm not gonna be bothered. It's too much, I'm confused, I'm stressed out. Don't get stressed out.
Speaker 13: Do something.
Speaker 14: That's what Michelle Obama says, do something, and something means voting. So when you look into the eyes of a five year old who doesn't understand politics, but understands that they want their mother to live God forbid, something goes wrong. When you look at a teenage boy and my mother of two black men who I can say to them, do you understand what immunity means.
Speaker 13: On the ballot?
Speaker 14: Do you understand that if God forbid something happens, there's no recourse. These are the issues we need to talk about, and our young people are getting it. Yeah, they're understanding it. And because they see other peers coming together to have the conversations, it makes.
Speaker 13: It easier for us to move forward and.
Speaker 14: Not turn back the hands of time in twenty twenty four. That the blood that was shed on this country's ground has to be screaming from the grave if we allow us to go back to what they thought for us to walk through.
Speaker 3: We don't get to keep. We get to give.
Speaker 8: And I want you to know when I say that next week on the podcast, I'm giving you credit.
Speaker 3: I'm giving you credit, but I'm stealing it.
Speaker 5: I know we have to let you because y'all are going to your brunch and we've kept you long. But I do want to just say one thing. In addition to voting, we have to mobilize, and we do really appreciate, we're so grateful for the support that we've gotten from the community for the podcast. My ask of you all is to make sure that you share this segment that you're on with your membership.
Speaker 15: We're on right now.
Speaker 5: I make sure that you make sure that you share and tell them to tell a friend, because what this is is a convening of a safe space for all of us. We are your hosts, but we are merely the vessels and the facilitators for this space, so that everyone feels like they have an opportunity to share their opinions, to ask a question that they may have been too a shame to share.
Speaker 6: So continue to do that, and thank y'all so much for what you.
Speaker 12: Post all were put to do this for this moment. This is the binde of us are connected for a reason, right, Thank you all, and keep doing what you're doing and.
Speaker 6: Come getting the boat.
Speaker 14: Conditioning y'all, blessing over you, showing the black man's voice, black woman's voice, working together everyone, we'reparated.
Speaker 15: Love y'all.
Speaker 6: Thank thank you, love y'all, Thank you, thank you for everything.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Get towels, sweat town, listen you were I tell y'all, I'm doing good.
Speaker 6: I got my napkins up under my boobs. I'm all right.
Speaker 3: Are we doing the sneak next man this way.
Speaker 5: Next we have the fox. Is there any questions? Are comments from the audience? If now we're gonna move along to our next man. All right, y'all are feeling quiet, you must be on one of them. We have Jasmine Bernie Clark, who is the Harris for President Florida State director.
Speaker 6: Y'all, sorry, we got we just gotta.
Speaker 3: Take the kind of forever.
Speaker 5: We have Lauren May who's the university trustee and holds the position that Andrew wants.
Speaker 6: Hell, she's the student body president.
Speaker 1: I was the first trustee.
Speaker 6: Okay, first trustee said get the history right.
Speaker 5: And then we have Christopher Matthews who's the president of Family's Chapter of Helping.
Speaker 6: Black Communities Unite. Thank you all for being here.
Speaker 5: Happy to see you, ja Don Lauren, I said, jazzmin Sorry, this is Jasmine Lauren.
Speaker 6: It's good to see you. We were handled together recent Jazz.
Speaker 8: Boss, Lauren and the young man in the middle. But we can make sure Christopher's mike is work and please.
Speaker 6: And put it a little closer. Thank you coming to you as well.
Speaker 1: How has it been so far? Tell us what we have to look forward to, and especially how voter registration and turnout is going for students, Yes, definitely.
Speaker 17: So it has been going great so far. My vice president, Decree Williams, has been doing a great job with planning homecoming. We've had some different things this year. A lot of our events have been at the Willpacker Amphitheater and I think that's and it has made the student engagement go up a lot. Tonight we have the n PhD Step Show tomorrow is the game. I know everybody is looking forward to that. And as far as voters registration, we have been doing a lot of things, you know, get the students out there. We just had a stroll to the polls. We had all the Divine nine organizations out with Campus Vote Project and it was a great turnout. And I think the students they're very geared up to vote this year.
Speaker 3: And I see you're pink and green.
Speaker 6: Yes, definitely, Yes, I love that.
Speaker 5: One of the things I remember, Lauren, we did a panel together recently in Bringingham. You talked about being raised in a family of politicians.
Speaker 6: Yes, definitely. How has that mattered for you in this election cycle?
Speaker 5: In particular, how have you used that history within your own family to motivate folks to go.
Speaker 6: Out and vote.
Speaker 5: There's literally an early voting station across the street from where we are, right across set. Yes, sorry, right across the set from where we are, across from will Packer Amphitheater.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely.
Speaker 17: I think as student body president, it's not only important for me to advocate and put out information about voters, education and registration, but for me to actually be doing the things that we're talking about, Because if the representation of the student body isn't getting out there, voting and getting my hands dirty, how can I encourage the rest of the student body to do the same.
Speaker 1: I love it, Jasmine. I know your hands are full here. Yes, it has been and is an organizer, continuing organizer, but right now is leading the Harris Wallas campaign here in the state of Florida. Yes, how has it been. I know we're at the top of the state, but I know energy has been on full display for the South.
Speaker 6: Energy has been electric.
Speaker 18: Since the transition has occurred here in the state of Florida, we have seen the highest number of voter participation we have ever seen in our state's history. And actually just recently this campaign has received more participation by way of volunteers and voter contact than the last four presidential elections in history. So that is a testament to the amount of people who are feeling this campaign, not only you know, through thoughts, prayers, and support, but they're actually digging in and getting engaged. We have county parties who are trying to figure out where to put all of these people in their offices because they're so full of enthusiasm across the state.
Speaker 1: So what's your projection. I know you've got to be optimistic as a director, but.
Speaker 18: We're incredibly wantimistic. We are excited about what we're seeing. Here's the thing. We know that Republicans have a million vote margin here in the state of Florida, but we are not seeing that actually show up in early vote numbers. We're not seeing that be represented. So you may have registered them, but you never engage them. You're not talking to them. We are bringing folks over to our side. We're bringing as many Republicans and independence into the fold as we possibly can, and they're showing up and they're bringing other folks with them.
Speaker 8: Christopher, I love having you on the panel because one thing that we do on this show is tried as often as possible to center the voices of everybody, especially black men. If our viewers would call our past few shows, we've had an i say, asymmetric number of black male guests.
Speaker 3: Now I know my peer group.
Speaker 8: And my seniors and the people right below me, and they are enthusiastic to vote for Vice President Harris despite this false media narrative perpetuated by folks who don't look like us. I'm curious from your peer group, who I don't have the privilege of talking to as much, how confident are you that young black men are going to show up to these polls enthusiastically on Tuesday.
Speaker 16: I'm pretty enthusiastic about it. I think most black men are supporting Harris at this point in time, and I think that's never kind of been an issue amongst us. We've always kind of demonstrated our support for her. I do think there may be a slight turnout for Trump or for the other side and the replica Republican Party, but I don't think that's gonna negate the fact that black men have an overwhelming support for Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: Do you hear people saying that in your peer group?
Speaker 8: Do you hear people talking to you about okay, and what is the what is their I guess attraction, like what attracts them to the other side of this divide.
Speaker 16: Honestly, I wouldn't say it's attracting to the other side. I think a lot of them feel like their versus voices haven't been heard. They feel like this, well, a lot of us are. A lot of them are looking at the state of the community and just thinking about what's you know, changing over these last four years, or what's over the last eight years. And most people are opting not to vote. That's what I kind of hear more so than like voting for Trump. I see most people saying I'm just not going to vote at all. And that's honestly where a lot of people are at nowadays in terms of like just seeing a political system in the government and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you say to them?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I respond to them. So the way we do it with our organization HBCU, Inc. So we try to get the students engaged in different ways. So one method was just doing postcarding where they write postcards and put express their own ideas of what they want change to those people, and the postcards go out to Florida Virginia and other states around the nation. And this makes the students feel like they're engaged in actually doing something and getting their voice across instead of just you know, I'm gonna go to the selection and hope that they do something for me after it.
Speaker 8: So can I want to ask a follow up? And this is a straight up We try to keep it a buck on this show. So I am really curious when.
Speaker 6: Like you in the dorm with your people, you.
Speaker 1: He ain't do yeah, I'm fourth you or not, You're with your.
Speaker 3: Friends wherever you.
Speaker 8: Right, whatever is appropriate, and you hear somebody saying, yeah, man, I ain't even voting.
Speaker 3: Like, what's your straight up answer?
Speaker 8: Not the I'm on a podium answer, but like, straight up, how are you talking to your peers saying, my g that ain't it?
Speaker 3: What do you say?
Speaker 16: Well, first off, I do give them that answer. Okay, if you are going to go vote, make sure you educate yourself and give them incentive of powering them with that knowledge and not just like going again studying with these bills and amendments actually mean read the language of it, but.
Speaker 7: You're right.
Speaker 16: But when you educate them on what is actually on the ballot, like homestead and what does homestead actually mean if you're looking to potentially be a homeowner eventually, what does this mean to you? And actually connecting the amendments to them and their actual reality. And if honestly, if they say I'm not going to vote, then I say, check out my organ and our organization. We have a garden here on Family's campus. We're mentoring at Family DRS. This is weekly, so tomorrow we're going to be at the garden and everything like that. So there's also proactive ways besides just voting to change your community. And I think that's what is more appealing to people at this hour, is just self determination and self help and actually like building for themselves. We have a lot of I don't mean to go on around or anything, but we have a couple businesses within our organization. We have about ten businesses within our organization, and one of them is right there. She has a crochet clothing company called Noble Treasures. We have another another member on the side, he has a holistic healing company. So just yeah, teaching these students not only just voting is a method, but going out and doing something for yourself, creating a new reality shifting your lifestyle so you can shift the entire paradigm in which we.
Speaker 3: Live and how policy impacts small business owners.
Speaker 16: That's ma'am.
Speaker 13: Yes, ma'am, I love it.
Speaker 5: I want to just quickly and I know we have to let you go, Lauren. I know you're running today. You have to squeeze us in, so we're grateful. I want to just ask you really quickly, Jasmine. You talked about a million vote different like a basically like a gulf between progressives or Democratic leaning voters and Republicans.
Speaker 6: What do you think it will take for that margin to shift for Tuesday?
Speaker 18: So we are in a state where I think you already know project existence far before this document did, and we have been living under a governorship for the past five or six years where the reality is so bleak. We have experienced multiple hurricanes, where insurance is an issue, housing is an issue. When this campaign talks about price gouging, we're experiencing it as people are trying to escape to safety. So this isn't something that they're reading in a document.
Speaker 6: We're living.
Speaker 18: We've been experiencing it for a really long time, and I think people are finally connecting the dots they see who's in charge and who can make those decisions, and they see that in our governor, who takes his decisions from a mega party extremist boss, which is you know, Donald Trump, and folks are making that connection and saying, this does not work for me anymore. This does not serve me, It does not serve my family. Unfortunately. It takes natural disasters like that to impact people's lives in a real way. And it also takes ripping books out of schools, taking black history off of the curriculum, you know, attacking trans children, fighting immigration issues in other states where people have issues here.
Speaker 4: We can't talk about.
Speaker 18: Where money is going in other countries when we see the example of what our governor is doing by sending resources to other states when people can't escape here.
Speaker 6: And so that's what it takes.
Speaker 18: And I think folks again are seeing the difference with the levels of government and how.
Speaker 3: They are interconnected.
Speaker 18: And when you go to your ballot, this fall take into consideration that every single person that is on that ballot us to work together from local all the way up to federal.
Speaker 6: To get what we need in this community.
Speaker 16: Thank you so much, and honestly, I want to give Lauren her flowers as well, or we brought the mayor of Tallahassee uh this semester, and you know, this is our second year doing it, and just continue to having that engagement from the local level. I think that's a great point in just you know, making sure they understand, Uh, this is a bottom up situation where it starts locally and it works its way up.
Speaker 6: Absolutely absolutely no shade.
Speaker 3: But I only know one mayor of Tallahassee.
Speaker 7: Bring.
Speaker 6: I don't know a man.
Speaker 19: Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Get enjoy homecoming.
Speaker 4: Jes Oh, the Lord is mild on us with some clouds.
Speaker 3: Because it's all them all over the country.
Speaker 6: Shout out to the small business.
Speaker 3: Hundred degrees out here.
Speaker 6: We got Disney meeting, y'all.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying that my I'm most excited about Desmond meeting.
Speaker 6: Oh just forget everybody else.
Speaker 8: I'm happy about everybody else, but but Desmond Meat has done the Lord's work. So this this year in Florida, Amendment four is about abortion. But you all will recall uh years ago twenty eighteen, Amendment Florida was about restoring voting rights for formerly incarcerated people who are returning citizens, and desneh mean led that work for the state of Florida, but also the work that he did here cast a wide net influence across the country and even today, millions of people remained disenfranchised because of the time. And not only were you leading that work, but you became an attorney while incarcerated.
Speaker 3: So brother, you know we love you.
Speaker 20: We thank y'all so much for having me. I missed this for the world. I drove three and a half hours forget yeah, hang out with y'all for a couple of minutes.
Speaker 6: I wanted him to have his own time for a little bit.
Speaker 5: We're gonna bring him some panelists too, but I wanted there's a special, unique spiritual connection between these two because of the time on the ballot together and.
Speaker 7: I us one.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna make it.
Speaker 1: But in truth, I would love for you to just update our viewers nationally on since the passage of Amendment for Desmond. They know that they heard some wrangling in the legislature and the governor around its interpretation. Where do we sit today as a result of that, And obviously that goes without saying how proud we are of you, the amendment and the voters of Florida who tried to you know, who tried to change the law make it right.
Speaker 11: Well, Andrew, I'm glad you used that word nationally.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 20: So, first of all, you know, since the passages of Amendment for we know, the Florida legislature had implemented the law that basically made people have to pay outstanding legal financial obligations.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 20: But the problem was was that when people would go to the state and say, well how much I owe, the state was like, well, I don't know, right, And that has been a consistent problem. And you know, over the last couple of years you've even seen people getting arrested, which was problematic because everyone that got arrested, even the women in Texas, they all had one thing in common.
Speaker 11: You know what it was?
Speaker 20: They were all issued a voter identification card by the state. And if you can't rely on the state to determine for the eligibility, then who can.
Speaker 11: You rely on?
Speaker 20: And so we end up having to file a lawsuit against the entire state of Florida, and I'm talking about the entire state over two hundred and sixty seven plaintiffs, I mean defendants. We have wow, right, and as a result of their lawsuit, the state is now finalizing some policy changes that would allow anyone, if they have any doubts about their voter eligibility to actually find out within a certain amount of time.
Speaker 11: Or it is presumed that they're eligible to vote. So we're keeping our fingers crossed on this.
Speaker 20: But why I like what you said about the national because one of the reasons I was excited to come on this show because I know you guys have a reach that is nationwide. Right, is that what I'm excited about is related to Amendment. For because in every battleground state, key states right now, in this election, impacted people like me are returning. Citizens like me are four to ten times the margin of victory in the last presidential election. For instance, in Georgia, which was won by a little over eleven thousand votes, they're over eight hundred thousand people in Georgia where the previous felony conviction who are elgib with the vote. Wow, right, same thing in North Carolina. In North Carolina it was won by seventy thousand votes. There's four hundred and eighty one thousand eligible people right now, and they can register the vote all the way up to tomorrow. And yeah, same thing in Wisconsin, in Michigan, in Philadelphia, it's the same thing. Hundreds of thousands more people who've been impacted by the criminal justice system can have a significant role in this election.
Speaker 11: And it's not too late for people.
Speaker 20: In Wisconsin, in Michigan, in Arizona, in Nevada, and even in Minnesota and in Virginia, because people can register the vote all the way up to the election day. Yes, and so we definitely, I definitely want to be able to get the word out to let people know that just because you've been impacted, just because you've been arrested or have a felony conviction, that doesn't mean that you can't have a say in the direction that this country go in after November fifth, Right, and folks need to know that because there's over nineteen million people across the country who.
Speaker 11: Are else with the vote, they think they can't vote, are too scared to vote.
Speaker 8: Well, this is just the first first step really in restoring a very punishing criminal justice system, particularly when it comes to black men. I'm not leaving out black women, but people of color are disproportionately harmed by the current criminal justice system. What is your ass once Vice President Harris becomes President elect. Harris, what is your ask of this administration to really remap I.
Speaker 11: Love your positive and forward things.
Speaker 16: First of all, if I were to give an ask, I would get rid of this first, right, and I put this on.
Speaker 11: And basically what that say is f the F word, right, because for too long that F word is just like the N word. Right.
Speaker 20: For too long we've used that word to marginalize people, right, and it is stuck with them as a scholar, that of shame for all of their lives. Somebody may have done something twenty thirty years ago. I mean, look, last year my organization was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Right, so now I'm a Nobel Peace Prize nominee. I am time one hundred most influential. I'm MacArthur genius for the really.
Speaker 6: Another year, and I still have to go by that F work with people fur me and.
Speaker 7: So we have to start there.
Speaker 20: So that would be one of the things is that do not you have to take a more humane approach to criminal justice and people who've been impacted by the criminal justice.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I just I want our viewers to know because they probably can't hear and the music isn't coming through the mic. But if you're listening to us or watching at home, it's very loud here on the ground.
Speaker 3: I know you guys hear us at home.
Speaker 8: Trying to speak loud, but I really appreciate it anyway, I really appreciate what you said, because that's such an important issue around reframing. A lot of people don't even know how to talk about it themselves. So we hear our own people saying felon or for former felon. So we try to reintroduce language returning citizens formally.
Speaker 11: In justice impact of people, you know what. A lot of people can normalize the end word as well, like yo, my end, what's up?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 11: Yeah, we even turned it into a term of endearment.
Speaker 20: But the reality is is that the origin of that word is meant to be dehumanizing to someone else, right and and and here's the catch that if we if we understand the the human nation aspect of it, the humanizing aspect of it, then that means that we should not use that word, even for our enemies. To be totally honest with you, Well, so hire was a problem. Let me tell you what the problem was they jumped the gun because technically, at the time when they started using the F word on him, he was not that he was found guilty of a couple of charges. Now here's the thing that he have a ton of other outstanding charges out there.
Speaker 11: So he's currently under criminal investigation.
Speaker 20: Right at the time that the jury filed them guilty, they found him guilty of a couple of charges, but there wasn't an adjudication of guilt, right, and there wasn't a finding of guilt yet, you know, And so until that happens, technically he's not He is just a person that was convicted by a jury, but that has not finalized yet, and so we kind of like jumped the gun on that. That was unfortunate because even when I was looking at the first debate with President Biden, when he used that F word, it had much vendom behind it.
Speaker 11: I felt like he was talking to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I felt it.
Speaker 20: And it's just like having that white friend that's cool with you all these years and one day somebody black pists them off and that it worked come out of his mouth.
Speaker 7: Start, man, I'm wonder how many times he said that about Yeah, another ed word.
Speaker 6: We can use to describe him.
Speaker 7: It's called fraud.
Speaker 2: Fraud.
Speaker 6: So I know that we have some other guests that are joining us to state place Dans.
Speaker 7: But you gotta give your stuff. Okay, I want you.
Speaker 1: You'll be joined now by two Uh yeah, go ahead, other individuals who are one important in this state but also important in this election cycle. I want to invite Shawn and kimber come on up.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: And approaching the podium now is u Kim Rivers who owns truly did you see those signs to leave medical marijuana distributor distributorships here in town and around the state, really around the country. This is its owner and chair of the board. Also former SGA president of Florida State University.
Speaker 7: That is this poetic?
Speaker 11: Or what right? Everybody's been impacted?
Speaker 3: How many people are finding bars?
Speaker 1: That's right? Yes? And next to Kim is is political strategist, lobbyist, lawyer, uh, my former finance chairman and my race for governor of the State of Florida.
Speaker 7: Good friend.
Speaker 1: And now we add to it author Sean Pittman, who is face here at Tallahassee but a great supporter of the show and and awesome, awesome, strategist. You want them on your side.
Speaker 3: Thank you for introducing me, my new mess friends in the middle.
Speaker 21: Okay, yes, right.
Speaker 3: We'll talk after this show.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 8: You champion the issue I care very deeply about. So welcome home, y'all, thanks for being here. I hope the audience can hear. Can you guys here okay? Okay, good, So they're good. You guys are good. The audience at home can here because we're.
Speaker 4: In the you can't hear, I can't hear you?
Speaker 3: Okay, can you hear the guest? Okay, yes, yes, okay, so everybody can hear. So we're good with the with with this. But it's it is.
Speaker 8: I want the viewers and know it is popping live and popping here on campus and so much music. But let's let's get into this because I'm really I do want to talk kickoff with the issue of marijuana. One, why is that your issue? And too, how are you connecting accessibility and a lot of the legalizations. We see who's making money off of it and who's not, and the people who are most impacted by the criminal justices inside of marijuana are not making money from it. But BC's venture capitalists private equity. These are the people who are profiting. So would love your thoughts on that. Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 22: And Amendment three is really about, first and foremost, we've got to stop the madness. It is time that we stop putting people in jail and and targeting and profiling and arresting thoks for marijuana. And here in the state of Florida, we have got in Florida, and I know Andrew can talk about this at length, but we've got a checkerboard of enforcement regimes across the state. And so you know, you could be in one place and maybe it's a civil citation, but you cross that border into the next county and not only are you getting arrested, but you're going to jail. And so we've got we've got to even the playing field here and create a bright line so that we stop again arresting people ruining people's lives over a plant. So that's that's number one, and that's really I'm very very passionate about that. We've done spongement clinics across the state of Florida and across the country, and we know and we see firsthand that it's very difficult to recover and they've done that intentionally, candidly to make it really hard for people to come back from just a possession charge. Right, you can't get a job, you can't get employed. So number one, number two, we need to create an environment.
Speaker 3: Where adults, responsible adults.
Speaker 22: Over the age of twenty one have the freedom to make a personal choice on a product that's safer than alcohol in the privacy of their own home.
Speaker 3: So it's a personal freedom, you know amendment as well. And what we know is that there are.
Speaker 22: Products right now that are in our communities that are dangerous, that are laced with a lot of different substances. In some cases, in gats In County, we had nine individuals die over a weekend over a.
Speaker 3: Bad batch of weed. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 22: And we have an opportunity now to make sure that people and adults have access to smart, safe, regulated product here in.
Speaker 3: The state of Florida.
Speaker 22: Now, to answer your question directly, you know, the state of Florida has been It is an interesting landscape right now, right and I'm not here to tell you any differently. There's twenty five companies currently that are licensed.
Speaker 3: Sitting on the Governor's desk.
Speaker 22: Is another twenty Two, we fought really really hard to make sure that in those licenses that there's a class of farmers here called the Pigford licenses that are our African American farm owners who were initially not able to participate in the licensing arena. We have fought really really hard to make sure that there is licenses now that have been and are being issued for that class's five. So of those current licenses, five specifically are allocated for for you know, black businesses that have had agriculture and candidly, we're you know, disenfranchised a long time ago, and I think that's the right thing to do here, and that's what we've done.
Speaker 3: Now, they're still room for improvement.
Speaker 22: So we also give the legislature and ability to issue new licenses and so there can be a whole new licensing regime. So the idea here is that this is a market expander to bring more opportunity to the state.
Speaker 3: In addition the tax revenue, this is going to.
Speaker 22: Generate four hundred million dollars every year that we can generate back into our communities to make sure that we're doing right by those communities that have been the most impacted by this crazy war on drugs that candidly has gone on way too long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But the savings that the system will experience by not Desmond you know as well, Yeah, I prosecuting in the dial system.
Speaker 23: You're talking about over two hundred million dollars a loan, say save to tax visions.
Speaker 11: Well, absolutely, I think it's it's I think it's far more than that, right. And the reason why I've say that is that you're.
Speaker 20: Talking about to You're talking about two hundred million that the state will saved just from prosecuting. But the state loses over forty billion dollars a year and lost income from people that get these type of convictions, and so that the cost goes on and on. But listen, I like that question, and I have to say that traditionally, you know, one of the challenges that we've had nationally is that the people who have been getting arrested and getting these convictions, right, they are barred from profiting from you know, recreational marijuana. However, there is a glimmer of hope, right because I remember not too long ago when our current governor had raised his hand on the debate stage and said that he would support voting for someone for the office of president of the United States with a felony conviction. And so what I'm thinking that if you would support someone with a felty conviction being president of the United States, then you shouldn't have any problem supporting someone with the felony convictions who's turned their life around being able to.
Speaker 11: Profit off of this in the past. Yeah, point blank. You're able to get jobs and housing the same thing.
Speaker 1: Because it makes economic sense, it makes community, I think, value sense, and the regulatory regime, however restricted now as it expands, can be inclusive of the communities who have sat at the epicenter of the worst impacts from the War on drugs at this country has waged against them. Sean, You've obviously been in the state through democratic regimes as well as Republican regimes, which has been you know, frankly, the majority of your professional career has been under that one. I'm just curious, as we raise voters and turn voters out in this upcoming election, what hope do people have around the change that they can experience at the state level here, Because regardless of who we elect for president, which is eminently important, we still live in the state of Florida. Under what already fe like Donald Trump's America. He lives here one, but he's got a sycophant in the current governor who is attempting every day to outdo his right lead. Those are my words, not yours. You got to do business in this state tomorrow. Yeah, But my question is is what do Florida voters have by way of a motivation of turning out?
Speaker 23: Listen, you just talked about one and Amendment three, right, I mean, And one of the things I talk about in my book This Affected is you know, what are we pretending not to know as folks that are stakeholders involved in government and politics and all of that. And one of the things we pretend not to know is when there are issues like Amendment three and Amendment four that we have an opportunity to make like revolutionary change. We got to lead with those things, and we got to give people the opportunity to show up for them, right. And the other thing we got to do is manage the expectations of our elector.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 11: Too many times they think if I do this, it means this.
Speaker 23: Tomorrow doesn't always mean that we would make voting today our modern day bus boycott where we sacrifice, knowing that it may take some time. We would, we would, we would make the kind of change not just nationally, but locally where it hits home.
Speaker 11: You are a mayor.
Speaker 23: You know the kind of things you can do as a mayor statewide. We can't make them think that if this person gets in office tomorrow, that's going to change their lives. What we have to do is make them realize that you're not just doing it for yourself. You're doing it for your kids and your grandkids. And we got to create that muscle memory, that voting sacred right. But at the end of the day, it is the modern day bus boycott, and it is the thing, the only thing that's going to get us down the road in a position where we really feel that change. We got to manage that expectation.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I'm doing this because I can't hear on my headphones, but we're about to adjust that. As soon as this panel's over, Desmond, I want to ask you if you can share any best practices for these lovely folks who have an initiative on the ballot and other folks throughout states all over the country that are thinking about what they can do to change their communities their states to ensure that ballot initiatives pass.
Speaker 6: You're a victor, so what do you recommend?
Speaker 11: What's the game? It's still a lot of people that So there's two things.
Speaker 20: One is Behindsight twenty twenty that you know what we've seen, especially in the state of Florida. Right is typically the second greatest display of democracy. Right, it's actually a citizens and the first is voting. The second is when the citizens, who all power belong to to begin with, right, decides to take matters in their own hand in the form of a citizen's initiative, to say this is what we as citizens want. What's troubling in the state of Florida is that they have a history of disregarding what the citizens want and they feel that, well, we are the politician, we know what's best for you, so we just need you to shut up and just do what we tell you to do. And it's gotten so bad that now you have tax payers dollars being used to fight against what the citizens wanted. I was fortunate enough that no one fought against it, maybe because I ran a great campaign right, which I do believe I did. You did right to actually preempt that kind of actually, but what I didn't or wasn't able to prey up was the backlash that came afterwards. And so my advice is is that, yes, you need to be strategic to win, but you also have to be more strategic to protect the win.
Speaker 11: That's going to be extremely important.
Speaker 3: So important though.
Speaker 11: I agree, I.
Speaker 1: Wanted to ask you all giving you an expense on these initiatives that I know We've got to move to the next panel is what do you fear for access to the ballot following your amendments through citizen initiated process. You anticipate that there's gonna be a clap back and really directly because you still got one that needs to be passed. Is how it is that you can'tpaign for an initiative that may be more effective than how you might for a candidate, or are there similarities that could.
Speaker 20: Listen candidates is entirely different than in this entirely different, you know, I think the candidates is more narrowly focused. And unfortunately, because of just who we are as a society, we have gotten to the point of where we are where we are with our candidates and and let's be real, you know, not everybody is excited about the candidates. They're excited about the moment, right, but not necessarily about the candidates. But when you're talking about an initiative, you're talking about something that speaks directly the people's heart in regardless of their political affiliation, regardless of their ethnic background or economic status. They were speaking to everyone, and that makes it a little bit more powerful.
Speaker 11: Dani. If a candidate whether we're.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would just add right that.
Speaker 22: I mean, what we tell folks is, look, I mean it certainly, you know it's our it's our civic responsibility and our privilege right to be able to exercise our voice and to vote. And you vote for candidates, but you just kind of you hope that the candidate is going to do what you what you want them to do.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 22: A citizen ballot initiative is our most direct way that we can we can impact our communities, right, and so we are talking about the citizens in the state of Florida, as an example, have an opportunity to mark a mark a bubble on their ballot sheet that is going to directly stop people from going to jail. Like that is what we're talking about in a very literal way here. And that's why I think that right it is. It is different because it is our opportunity to directly influence the process and demand that something gets done that the citizens are behind and that we're we're and we're advocating for.
Speaker 23: And you position it also right for the next step, right, you give incentive to our lawmakers to then do that right thing about folks who have all already been uh in trouble, have it on their record. Expungement becomes a word that everybody understands after the point that Amendment three gets passed, Because if I'm a lawmaker, my next thing is, Okay, how do we deal with these people who have been in trouble.
Speaker 7: For small amounts a week?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 23: We got to get that stuff off their record and and help them help them with their lives.
Speaker 3: Can I asked us a quick closing question.
Speaker 8: For for somebody who's visiting Florida and you want to sample Florida's offerings, what might you.
Speaker 3: You know talk about it?
Speaker 6: After that?
Speaker 13: Was that was a set up question there?
Speaker 8: Thank you, we have Frederick Ingram and then come on up man, I'm sorry, really quick, we need to come on up and make your way up here. We lie brother, all right, Fan makes his way up here. Frederick Ingram is the president, the Florida President.
Speaker 3: Hi, you pled me.
Speaker 1: He's telling you maybe you can't use a certain title. Man, We don't introduce you with your title. Former president of the Teachers Union in Miami Dade. He got elected president twenty eighteen of the state wide Teachers.
Speaker 8: Association Federation of Teachers, No in Florida Teachers and.
Speaker 3: Any right in Florida when.
Speaker 6: He almost got fired because I saw it, this hot had a head on.
Speaker 3: At first.
Speaker 6: I didn't see make America normal rally.
Speaker 7: You had the wrong.
Speaker 1: Rally, got the right share.
Speaker 21: There you go.
Speaker 1: Of course, Nicky Free who is the chairwoman of the Florida Democratic Party here in Florida.
Speaker 3: And you're at this point, well that.
Speaker 1: Too, just on the map quite often. But she's also been fighting fiercely in a state that has tried to not only silence Democrats but have us to disappear and every way in the society. And so I think you want to give it up to you for the thankless and hard for work you all do every day.
Speaker 14: Thank you and thank you so much for having me up here.
Speaker 6: And first I got to do a shout out.
Speaker 24: There's no other post fam you student body president that can get a cat student body president.
Speaker 4: All to be on here on stage.
Speaker 1: There it issident University of Florida where I graduated high school.
Speaker 6: Nikki.
Speaker 3: I feel like every time your governor here, Governor Ron's.
Speaker 12: Not my governor.
Speaker 3: Rand is stupid?
Speaker 7: Is that.
Speaker 8: Every time he does something, I feel like you're the first person we hear from on a national Stage's like, you come out and you're really good at being on the front lines. What is keeping you up at night when it comes to this Tuesday as it relates to the state of Florida.
Speaker 24: There's a lot of things actually that keep me up and also get me up in the morning. A lot is voter suppression. A voter suppression that we've seen consistently since he became governor for six years. Everything between access to the ballot box, the drop boxes you all remember last last Yeah, the machetes, Yeah, the people that are coming out with the big trucks, and the intimidation at the polls that are making.
Speaker 6: People scared to be there.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 24: But it's also you're just talking about it with Desmond fifty million dollars that the governor has stolen from the people to put out there against the citizens' initiatives.
Speaker 14: That is miskeueuing information that is going out people.
Speaker 24: So that's what's keeping me up and making sure that you know, what I've said consistently for the last few months is that we have seen that we have been the lab racks of Project twenty twenty five for the last six years. And if we don't vote, then we say that's okay, and that keep going for another two years.
Speaker 3: So we got to make sure that we are doing everything.
Speaker 24: Possible to turn out our vote in this election.
Speaker 21: Questioning prediction, fed oh, my prediction, Kamala Harris is gonna be our next president.
Speaker 1: It is help.
Speaker 3: It's Florida gonna be blue.
Speaker 7: This same absolutely gonna help. Florida is not dead.
Speaker 21: We got a lot of people who care about everything that's going on, and listen. Shout out to my colleagues, the teachers, the teachers that are doing God's work every day. They're taken care of two million children in this state and fifty million children nationwide. In spite of being defunded, in spite of being villainized, in spite of having librarians taken away from us, in spite of having fewer resources in our classrooms, we are still going to teach. We're gonna teach honest history. We're gonna teach the good culture that we see at this HBCU, at fans. That's what we need to be teaching black excellence because we've always had it.
Speaker 7: And so I am eternally optimistic, like every teacher is. At beginning in the school year. We think we can teach.
Speaker 21: Every kid how to read and every kid how to do math, because that's what we do that And if you give us the right resources, get out of our way, protect us through public policy, we will continue to do the magic that we need in our public schools.
Speaker 3: Policy that doesn't impact the classrooms. Every piece of policy, every policy that's.
Speaker 21: Right, you know, and if we want to continue to see stuff like FAM you and FAM Youth's homecoming, you know, we can't make light of this kind of stuff, right These kids come from K twelve public schools.
Speaker 7: These are the best purprisers.
Speaker 11: That we have.
Speaker 7: And we need more of these folks, and we need more public policy that's.
Speaker 21: Going to protect what we have in our classrooms and our teachers, and we need to get more about black men in our classrooms because they're not going into the classroom because they don't pay well. They're not going into the classroom because why would you go back to a place that treated you in the wrong way?
Speaker 7: Why would you go back to that.
Speaker 21: So we need to change our system so that we can change our people and we can help our families in this next generation.
Speaker 7: That's why voting is important. It's gonna happen with or without you.
Speaker 21: So you can choose not to vote, but that's a vote for somebody else, and it's a vote against your children. And our children should not be for sale. That's not what we should be doing. In the state of Florida, we've had double trouble, Desanta's and Trump in the same zip code. That's crazy, you know, And so listen, we're not crazy. We got to understand where this has make America normal again. Not because I want normal, because I want the abnormal to be gone.
Speaker 7: I want stuff that Donald Trump.
Speaker 21: Is saying about my people, about people like me, about Haitians, about you know, villainizing our teachers, villainizing our children.
Speaker 7: This man doesn't know anything from anything, and the.
Speaker 21: Only way we can get rid of that kind of hate and disdain and divisiveness is to vote.
Speaker 7: It's the only game in town. You can like it or not like it, but you better get at it.
Speaker 24: Yeah, and that's why Florida isn't play because what DeSantis has done to this state for six years, that the banning of books. I saw an article today that says we're still the number one state in the nation for banning books, you know, everything from black history to slaves, that there was a benefit to slavery, the six week abortion ban. That's not who we are as Floridians. And he's taken us into such a dangerous direction. That's why I think you're seeing the backlash here in our state. And no offense to the men on this stage, but the women are going to save the day in this election cycle.
Speaker 6: I always do.
Speaker 1: By the men. But I will say this question for national audience. There are a lot of folks who have written Florida off by and large, that we constantly is not a purple state Nymore. People keep saying a red state. A lot of folks neglect that a third of the electorate maybe second and running now are independent registrants in this Florida. If you had to make the audience more broadly, make the case more broadly, and I'd like to hear from both of you on it, both Floridians. Is how do you convince folks that Florida is a state that politically can still vote for a Democrat at a statewide level.
Speaker 24: Easy, look at our election in twenty eighteen, Andrew, you lost by thirty four thousand votes. I bet you probably know that number by yeah, And I won and I won by five thousand, six hundred and seventy three votes.
Speaker 6: That was just six years ago.
Speaker 24: And then in twenty twenty and we saw Desmond's You know, in twenty eighteen, we saw a restoration of civil rights passing by over seventy percent, legalization of medical marijuana by seventy two percent. These initiatives that you're talking about earlier are are progressive, and the people of this state consistently are voting way over the sixty percent threshold. And the fact of the matter is a third of our state is independent at this point. And so when you take the independence who have been breaking for Democrats since the beginning of twenty twenty three in the numbers of sixty five to seventy percent, that's how We were able to flip the du Bal mayor's race last year, Donna Digan the first female ever elected as mayor.
Speaker 14: She won with independence.
Speaker 6: We flipped a House seat this year.
Speaker 24: The last time that House seat was blue was when Senator Nelson was a House member, and we flipped it with seventy percent independence. So right now we've got a demographic that Democrats are voting, Independents are voting and breaking for Democrats, and I am not convinced that more than ten percent of the Republican voters are voting for Kamala Harrison Democrats because they're tired of this nonsense and they want normality again.
Speaker 6: Well, and speaking of normal, we got to get back on schedule. So we so appreciate you with us today. We're so so great voting.
Speaker 5: Thank you all the work that you're doing is help save democracy. So thank you so much, Nikki Freed and better ingram.
Speaker 7: Y'all keep doing for the black community.
Speaker 6: Vote November fifth, because we have.
Speaker 2: Awesome welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 3: This breeze is so appreciated. As we bring up the next guest.
Speaker 6: Praise the Lord. Yes, okay, So now what we're gonna do is. We're gonna bring up a very very special guest. She is our defacto producer of today's show. She is Andrews not just better, but the best half.
Speaker 7: She is.
Speaker 3: I guess it is, yes, shaking her head.
Speaker 6: He's doing. Genesis Robinson is also going to join us on ground.
Speaker 3: Shaking her head.
Speaker 6: She's still producing. Come on, Jay, and where is uh? I'm not sure he's.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay anyway, Southern Girl Desserts, don't worry about it.
Speaker 8: Are so happy to have you, our de facto producer making it happen. Yeah, she really, We're happy to have you, have you as well, happy to have yell in Tallahassee.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: So real quick, Jay, before we get to you, Genesis, tell us about the Equal Ground Fund and what you're doing.
Speaker 19: Yes, so, thank y'all for having me.
Speaker 25: Equal Ground As a black led voting rights organization, we're working throughout the entire state of Florida with the goal of educating our community, getting them prepared for elections, and getting them more involved in the civic engagement process. Too often, election after election, we don't see the type of engagement in our community, and so we made the commitment to have a year round investment.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 25: We're not just coming into communities right before an election and disappearing.
Speaker 19: We're staying in.
Speaker 25: We're mobilizing, We're educating and providing all of the resources for people to get more involved in the political process.
Speaker 1: I love that Genesis was a young organizer as a student on campuses here. He's given all of his time since leaving Catlin to continue organizing around the state. We appreciate it. We're gonna come back to Egle ground. I want to give a quick shout out to my best friend, my wife, my chosen life partner r J who home and for whom I couldn't I couldn't do give it up for Jay, y'all, and then and then she also so the produces on other shows.
Speaker 7: Y'all, you don't get to hear about it, but.
Speaker 6: We hear about it.
Speaker 1: What's on Instagram?
Speaker 6: Why Why do I know that?
Speaker 4: I don't know because you don't know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Which most people figure out what they listen to the.
Speaker 6: Show it's We're at the highest of seven Hill.
Speaker 4: That's why I.
Speaker 5: Said it, right, I feel like we should hear this love story that began in politics.
Speaker 1: We have two different versions, and therefore we don't j.
Speaker 6: You're gonna tell it blaming her time.
Speaker 5: Let's jay, I want you to tell this story because we want to get the young people motivated, and sometimes the best way to do that is to know that they can meet in the city chamber.
Speaker 1: WHOA, yes, the microphones are defect.
Speaker 3: Yes, Jesus you're mad that.
Speaker 26: I am so proud of you and what all young people are doing being active. This young man was a very active student leader. We were both in student government the year before.
Speaker 27: He was SGA president, I was SGA vice president, and we didn't get along at all. We thought about everything because Andrew was ready to march to the capitol.
Speaker 3: He was ready to protest, and I just had a.
Speaker 1: More because do we always have to march?
Speaker 4: Well, no, my boy was what are we asking for?
Speaker 3: And what is the exit strategy? So need let's to say we did not date in college at all. We reconnected years later. It was our student government advisors that put us together and here we are all these years later.
Speaker 26: But I will say one thing he says a lot is life partner, and that is that's true. No matter how we started, where we are now and all the in between. This is my friend, my best friend. I can talk about him, y'all came.
Speaker 6: But this is home for us.
Speaker 3: It's where we started, it's where our love started.
Speaker 13: But like this is.
Speaker 6: Spiritual, right, and you don't just have to be a rattler.
Speaker 26: All of these people supporting you, all this show. When we have been through the highs and the lows, it was our rattler family that was right there.
Speaker 3: They didn't care what was going on.
Speaker 6: They said, you are one of us, and.
Speaker 3: We've got y'all. So I hope that wherever you are, you have that.
Speaker 26: You have that home, you have that community, you have that love, that kinship, because there's nothing like it. So I won't tell the full story because we disagree.
Speaker 6: I wanted to hear that. I think the whole tremendously.
Speaker 3: On how the story goes, I'll tell you.
Speaker 18: Listen, this is the quickest part. When I first moved back to Tallahasseee after graduating, I ran.
Speaker 4: Into Andrew and the mall and he was a city commissioner.
Speaker 26: So I was proud of him, and he gave me his number. I'm gonna try to find it so I could take a picture to show y'all.
Speaker 3: He wrote it down because.
Speaker 26: I still had a paper calendar in my purse, and he wrote down three phone numbers on this piece of paper. Now, when I saw the young man in the mall, he looked really nice.
Speaker 6: He was shopping, but.
Speaker 4: He had two phones on his hip.
Speaker 26: None of those three numbers was a cell phone number, so I just assumed he didn't want me to call him.
Speaker 6: For real.
Speaker 3: He gave me like a word number.
Speaker 6: And anybody with two cell phones is probably never home.
Speaker 3: Why are you giving me your home number?
Speaker 6: You see j What was you doing?
Speaker 1: You shouting to the genesis.
Speaker 6: Right here in this love story? Did we connected?
Speaker 3: It was fine.
Speaker 6: I never called him because I just assumed I was.
Speaker 3: Like need meet with calling it.
Speaker 26: What happened the pond day our student government advisors. I had come back and actually worked on campus.
Speaker 7: I had a.
Speaker 26: Graduate student job and I was in charge of the court, the Royal Court, and I was at a football tailgate and Miss Doing, Miss Lamb, miss Dupon, is no longer with us, but everybody that was in student government in the nineties and two thousands remembers her and Miss Lamb, who doesn't work on campus, but it's still here, said they had somebody that wanted me to meet, and I got very excited and we made plans and it was.
Speaker 3: Him, and I was like, why y'all could just tell it was him.
Speaker 4: So we went to dinner to Bennigan, which is no longer.
Speaker 26: The restaurant closed, they had to put us out, and we sat and talked for another two or three hours in the parking lot on Saturday night, and he invited me to go to church with him the West day.
Speaker 4: I wasn't.
Speaker 6: One more second before we go to tennis.
Speaker 5: Sometimes love stories don't always have happy endings, and they should, but sometimes love stories brush you into another part of your destiny.
Speaker 6: We're joined today by Charles Johnson said here for moms, and we're gonna get it right with four moms.
Speaker 1: Moms.
Speaker 5: Charles, thank you so much for joining us and for the work you're doing. We want to hunt you, but we didn't throw it off and ran off the set. Today we're just gonna be be good and.
Speaker 7: And that too.
Speaker 5: I feel like we've been shouting at church, so we really really thank God for your work. I first learned of what you were doing, uh at Elaine Walter Ross's Firth Fund event in la so thank you so much. Please tell the audience about for here, for moms and the reason for the work, which is sure.
Speaker 11: Sure, sure.
Speaker 21: So first of all, it's an honor to be here, right, And I have to say to my brother Andrews, to RJ. Right, like y'all have to understand, like on behalf of all of us, man, we love you, bro, we really love you. And I want to tell my story, but I have to start and center this and the fact that when I touched down here twenty five years ago in the fall of nineteen ninety nine, my first time voting ever was in ninety nine, right, and I had a front row seats to two things, to a historical steal of an election. But I had a front row seat to Andrew Gilliam's leadership, right because he was our student president and he led us to march up the street to the capitol. He led to sit in right and to watch where you have been, what you have meant to us, brothers, we love you, We love RJ.
Speaker 7: And there's nothing you can do of it. Did you understand me? We love you?
Speaker 28: So this is an honor to being here. So with that being said, I apologized, had I had to say that Andrew so and so this story starts, and how I got this work. I was fortunate enough to meet a woman that absolutely changed my life. As we talked about my wife, Kira, we're talking about Sunshine per signing.
Speaker 7: We're talking about Sunshine Per signed by the woman.
Speaker 28: That raced cars, who had her pilot's license, who spoke five languages, and I always wanted to be a dad, always wanted to be a dad.
Speaker 7: And socome.
Speaker 28: We welcomed our first son, Charles the fifth, in twenty and fourteen, and we begin to talk about how cool we would be to have back to back boys, and so we found out we were welcomed our second sons in twenty and sixteen.
Speaker 7: We were ecstatic, and so on April.
Speaker 28: Twelfth of twenty sixteen, we walked in the Cedar Sinai in Los Angeles for we expected to be the happiest day of our lives and walk straight into a nightmare. It's important to stand that Kira was not only in good health, she was an exceptional help and no pre existing conditions, no signs of distress. And we went and it was supposed to be a weird seeing scheduled sea section. Our son was born perfectly healthy, ten fingers, ten toes, super handsome, and.
Speaker 7: You're looking just like me, like, this is it, right, this is it? This is the dream.
Speaker 28: And they take us back to recovery. And that's when things took a turn for the worst. And as I'm sitting there watching cure rest and watching the baby rest, I see blood and the casseeter bring it to the attention. And the doctors been nurses at CEDARS. They come in, they examine her, they examine her, they take her vitals, they ordered tests.
Speaker 7: Keep in mind, this is around. We went into the delivery at two and it's about four and.
Speaker 28: They ordered that CT scan that's supposed to be performed STAT and so STAT what does that mean?
Speaker 7: Right now?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 28: Like, okay, I'm concerned, but my wife is healthy, my baby is healthy, and we're supposed to be a seat of sign. Now five o'clock comes, no CC scam, and I'm asking, hey, y'all, where's the where's the scam that's coming?
Speaker 7: Sir? Six o'clock, no skin? Hey, what's going on? Ah, sir, it's coming. We'll see seven o'clock.
Speaker 28: And now by seven o'clock she's shivering uncontrollable, right, And they said, well, maybe we may have to take her back to surgery.
Speaker 7: I'm like, what about to say it, skin that you said in.
Speaker 28: This game of dismissal, denial, and deprioritization of my wife's pain and our concerns continues to escalate.
Speaker 7: Eight o'clock, nine o'clock, and.
Speaker 28: Around nine o'clock the nurse came in the only thing that they had done at this point is get her IV through it. So around nine o'clock, though, nurse comes in to change her IV bags and just out of decoration, I just stopped her.
Speaker 7: I said, look, my wife isn't doing good. She's pale. They said that they were gonna take her for surgery. Nobody's coming. They said they were gonna take her for a CDC. And that was five hours ago. Can you please just help us?
Speaker 28: At which point this woman looked me dead in my eyes and lund she said to me, sir, your wife just isn't a priority right now, Your wife just isn't a priority.
Speaker 7: Nine ten o'clock and for the instant time.
Speaker 28: It wasn't until midnight, twelve thirty am that they finally made the decision to take my wife back of surgery, after allowing her to bleed and suffer needlesly for more than ten hours, while myself and my family begged and pleaded for them to just.
Speaker 7: See her validate our concerns.
Speaker 28: So finally they take her back to surgery, go down to make the walk down this long corridor, and I'm holding her hand and I'm just doing once.
Speaker 7: Again, the only thing I know to do is a husband and to say they everything will be okay.
Speaker 28: And the last thing she said to me before those double doors opened up and they closed behind her, and baby, I'm scared. And we're talking about women as fearless. A woman that went skydiving like some of us went for jobs. And when they took her back in their operating room and they opened her up there with three leaders of blood in her abdoinence from where she had been able to bleed and suffer for all those hours. And I'm always transparent about the fact that although this has become my life, when I walked into that hospital that afternom the thought that my wife would not walk out to raise her voice, it never crossed my mind, right, I thought that this is a walk in the park, like we had done everything right. I never missed a prenatal visit. I read all his books, I held her hands through la mine right, and it still wasn't enough in today's America to make sure that she walked out to raise her boys. So although there's nothing that I can do to bring fear back, I'm dedicated, and we're dedicated to do with everything we can. The highest honor we can pay her is to do everything we can to make sure we send other mothers home with their precious babies.
Speaker 8: That's such a heartbreaking story, and let me just say I'm so sorry, and when we offer our condolences for your loss and the strength it must take you every day to carry your wife's memory and create this legacy not only on behalf of her, but the work you're doing will impact thousands, if it's not millions of black women across the country.
Speaker 3: So I don't even have a question. I just have gratitude for you and to you, so thank you.
Speaker 1: I've heard your story, Charles. Obviously, I don't know. Today I feel particularly moved as I think about my wife sitting there, and I think about our three children and think about the miscarriages that happened in between them, and I just have nothing but gratitude for as a husband and father, your willingness to stand when I imagine you didn't have the strength to get up and to stand in the gap for so many other families, other husbands and their wives and partners who deserved to walk out of the hospital just as your wife did, and the health. Earlier this week, Charles hosted here on campus of Eternal Health, simposing and through for Kira, for moms. They're being able to get this word out, this message out across the country to not only folks in Washington and here at fam you and and and across the country, but hopefully to medical professionals who too often don't believe women, don't trust black women, don't validate or hear or believe our pain. They sum it up to they just want drugs, and life perishes in the balance of that. And so uh again, I can't imagine the everyday walk, but I thank you for it anyway, thank you, thank you great, thank you for it. And Genesis you've had to see. You've sat through one slight, fabricated story the other heart wrenching one. But I'd love for you to talk a little bit about what youth engagement and engaging youth particularly and advance of this election has felt like has been like and if there's any learning that we can take from your organizing experience in this election as relates to black men and what the system out to be doing to better hear, validate, and advocate on behalf of us, what would that advice be?
Speaker 25: You know, I think you know, youth are certainly excited to get engaged to hear me. Yeah, okay, I think youth are certainly excited to get engaged this election. Many of them who are having the first opportunity to pass a vote, they've watched for four years, They've watched for eight years, right, Donald Trump and the type of leadership that he has had. They've seen here in the state of Florida that they have books that are being banned, a curriculum that is being whitewashed and really stripped of truth and validity.
Speaker 19: Right, They're seeing where they're prevented.
Speaker 25: From calling their peers by pronouns of their chosen right, and so they have an opportunity to do something about it.
Speaker 19: And so we're excited about that.
Speaker 25: We know that this is sort of the first test of what their engagement and participation will look like not only on the national level, but here in the state of Florida. You talk about Black Men as an organization that organizes the black community in the state of Florida.
Speaker 19: We know that the black community has a lot to say.
Speaker 25: We're a little concerned right now about the black turnout here in the state of Florida, and so that's why our organization is committed from now until Tuesday to continue the work of getting people out to vote, providing the resources necessary for them to make educated, informed decisions, because we know that the voter suppression laws.
Speaker 19: That have been passed here in Florida are having an impact.
Speaker 25: In twenty twenty three, they removed four point two million Floridians from the vote by mail roles. Why did they do that because they knew in twenty twenty our community led the way and voting by mail and parenting, and they wanted to prevent us from being able to participate in that way.
Speaker 19: And so you know, we're hopeful, we know that, you know, Thomas winding up. We encourage everyone who's out there to make a plan to vote.
Speaker 25: If you have not voted yet, make sure you're vote by mail ballots received by seven pm on election day. It's not enough to have it dropped in the mail by that time, it must be received by your supervisor. And so make a plan to vote and make sure you participated in.
Speaker 19: This upcoming election.
Speaker 1: I love it, and angela activity for your awareness. The greatness about Equal Ground is that it's a group that doesn't work just in an election cycle. It's one of the few groups that you'll find year in year out, inside of gubernatorial or presidential or outside of those races, organizing and meeting people at their need. So, Genesis, we thank you for it.
Speaker 6: Yes to that point.
Speaker 5: To Charles and Jay, I know you all have both been personally impacted by what happens with black mothers.
Speaker 6: I'm curious to know, as so much is on.
Speaker 5: The balloting our very bodies, what do you encourage people to do and how do they stay engaged around issues like this beyond election day?
Speaker 28: Yeah, so, I think you know, when we think about reproductive justice, when we think about maternal health, particularly black maternal health, and it's important to speak to this and black maternal health. I know that stories like mine, when we look at the statistics, their heart brainsfuls.
Speaker 7: But here's the realt of this situation. We talk about data.
Speaker 28: The CDC is determined that eighty four percent of the maternal deaths in this country are classified as preventable, right, eighty four percent. That means those of mothers that should be at the first day of kindergarten, that should be dancing at weddings, they should be streaming at soccer games on Saturday mornings at the top of their lungs, and they're being taken for us. But that eighty four percent is where the opportunity lies, right, And so we've set a goal, as you heard me share in Los Angeles, that the United States needs to have a goal of zero preventable deaths from pregnancy and pregnancy related complications by.
Speaker 7: The year twenty thirty.
Speaker 28: Yeah, and how do we do that Fundamentally, we talk about a climate right now, As you well know that it's so politically divisive, this issue around maternal wellness and mothers being having the human right, not the women's health right, not the black the human right to get birth to a healthy child and live to raise that child is uniquely bipartisan right, whether your approach and suppose this is something we can reigar on So regardless of how you affiliate, which your zip code is, who you love, how you identify politically, make sure that your candidate has a clear, concise plan to make our country a better safe of place for mothers and babies.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 28: But at the same time, while policy is important, we are done asking other people's permission to save our own lives. So it's important that we as a community get back to what we do well, which is community, making sure that we're informed and empowered, knowing what questions to ask, knowing making sure that we are elevating and sharing information about the providers that are doing it right, that are approaching it with cultural sensitivity, that are approaching that are leading with compassion, supporting organizations like the birth Guard.
Speaker 7: And supporting the doers.
Speaker 28: The re out of this situation is there's a lot of people that like to stand around and admire the problem. No, and when we talk about policy too, And I could go on all day, but one of the things I'll say, we talk about policy.
Speaker 7: We're making sure that the dollars. This year we passed.
Speaker 28: And a budget appropriation of one hundred million dollars specifically to fund community based black women led organizations It's an important distinction, right, So these funds are not just going to the legacy organizations that are making the sisters in the community sing for their sufferers, right and tap dance to get the funding. So we're making sure that funding is going to the people that need it, that have boots on the ground and are having their hands on the bellies. But the great news is that we can fix this, and so making sure that you're holding people accountables, choosing the right provider, and making sure that the people that you are generously giving your votes to have a plan to make sure that that's product.
Speaker 26: I think it's personal. It goes from personal to policy. Advocate for yourself. Yes, black women, black men, we gotta go to the doctor at least once a year, right.
Speaker 3: We got to get our mammograms, We got to get our.
Speaker 6: Paths, nears.
Speaker 3: We have to take control of our health, take back our power for our bodies.
Speaker 26: And then we have to understand the power of our vote. Because there are people out here politicizing IVF. I wouldn't have my children if it weren't by IVF. There are people politicizing what we do with our bodies and the decisions we have to make so I just asked everybody, you don't have to be into politics, but politics is personal.
Speaker 3: It's very important, and that is how people decide the policy.
Speaker 26: That affects all of our lives. So I just asked that people take back that power. Like Charles said, there are a lot of policies at place, so support the people that support the power things that support us.
Speaker 25: Yeah, and you know, that's one of the things that I think we're seeing here in the state of Florida's people to start to recognize the electoral power associated with the issues that they care about. Andrew, I often talk about that your election was perhaps the most consequential in the history of our state.
Speaker 11: Right. We went on to have.
Speaker 19: A Supreme Court that allowed unconstitutional.
Speaker 25: Maps to move forward and jimp Jerrymander. We have a state Board of Education that has allowed there to be to be taught that there's educational and benefit to slavery, right. And so I think when people look around and are able to tie their electoral power to the issues that matter to them, that we can use that as a motivator to get them to vote.
Speaker 19: It's not just about the presidential race, right, It's about voting.
Speaker 25: Up and down the ballot at all levels of government to ensure that we're getting the results that we need for documentedy.
Speaker 6: It's so grateful for it is.
Speaker 12: All your.
Speaker 1: Thank right back. I shout out to my co hosts. I should keep up, I should keep us here for thirty more minutes. Just the torture them. You got one over from Seattle the other way from the northeast. They about to die of here.
Speaker 3: Me too, though, shout out you did, good seed. I was real worried about you, so you did good.
Speaker 1: Y'all get up for this final panels. Thank you for their growth, their energy, and her female of applause.
Speaker 20: To you all.
Speaker 6: You guys can ask no questions.
Speaker 5: Y'all probably Tom raise the Lord. We'll come down and answer Mama's stage.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to say to our viewing audience, thank you very much for joining us for the fiftieth episode of Data Lampard. Welcome home, forty flight.
Speaker 7: We'll be at Philly on Monday.
Speaker 1: We'll be at Howard University with the next President of the United.
Speaker 13: States on Tuesdays.
Speaker 7: Sorry, that's break news. We'll be in DC night. We got thank you ourselves, but it would be that Moran see.
Speaker 29: Thank you for joining the Natives attention of with the info and all of the latest rock Gulim and cross connected to the statements that.
Speaker 7: You leave on our so shows.
Speaker 29: Thank you, sincerely for the patients reason for your choice is clear, so grateful it took the OA to execute roles than for serve, defend and protect the truth even in pain.
Speaker 19: For Welcome home to all.
Speaker 1: Of the natives.
Speaker 7: Wait, thank you, Welcome y'all.
Speaker 8: Welcomes Native Land pod is the production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.