Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush, The Truth about Sorority Life with your hosts me Gia, Judice.
Speaker 2: Davy Kent and Jennifer Fessler.
Speaker 3: Hi, you guys, welcome back to another episode of Dirty Rush. I am Jen Fessler, and today we're jumping into part two of.
Speaker 2: Moms Gone Wild.
Speaker 3: So this time we're actually talking about moms in a little bit of a different way. What lengths will moms go to in order to get their daughter into the top sorority. I'm a little scared of this episode, you guys. I'm scared of thinking back and thinking what did I do to try to help Rachel get into the right sororities?
Speaker 2: So I just.
Speaker 3: Remember Rush costing me a lot of money, too much money, and not feeling like I could really say no to Rachel. But she, you know, did not want the sorority that I was in A five, so I didn't really there was no strings I could pull there. But let's talk to some girls who did have moms either pull strings or maybe you know, do we're a little bit extra in terms of helping their daughters get in to top sororities. All right, let's bring in Page.
Speaker 4: Hi High, Page, Hi, how are you.
Speaker 2: I am very well. Thank you.
Speaker 3: My middle name is Paige, and I I know I wish it was my first name.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Same page. Yes, thank you for joining us here a dirty rush.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: So my story is a little bit interesting. So I was on a recruitment team for a school in Arizona, and at this school, the moms definitely went a little bit wild when it came time for their daughters to go through recruitment. So we would often as recruitment team, actually get gifts from the mom's for example, cookies, brownies, popsicles, stickers, and not only were they just gifts, but the gifts had their child's name and face printed on them. Come on, so they would literally let's stout out the houses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, literally, crazy thing.
Speaker 5: Ever, they would scout off the houses during work week, like the week before rush, and whenever they had like they thought like a split second to like if someone were to be walking out, they would run out of their cars with all of these gifts and be like, oh my god, yeah, like my daughter kate Lee, for example, is so excited to come see your house hopefully next week.
Speaker 6: Like here's page.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna puke a little bit in my mouth. Yea, yes, did your mother do this? Because I'm gonna feel bad.
Speaker 4: Talking absolutely not. My mother would never in a million years.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I am going to throw up a little bit. You're telling me this is a true story. Yeah, actually try to give you gifts to yeah, grow under the category of get a life.
Speaker 7: Get a life please.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was just like the craziest thing. Like it wasn't even like the kids themselves. It was literally the moms that were like just so excited and honestly like not even like ashamed of it, which I thought was the craziest thing ever. And then like as a recruitment team, like we were not to be accepting these gifts like at all, right, so we'd kind of like just take it and then like literally throw it away.
Speaker 4: And if anything, it was like weird, like we were not.
Speaker 2: Like happy, uncomfortable. I mean, did blew into the way you.
Speaker 3: Like looked at the recruits Like I think it.
Speaker 5: Like kind of like subconsciously, yeah, because like your literal mom is here trying to like buy us these two dollars brownies and bunkcakes.
Speaker 4: This is so so desperate.
Speaker 2: Like awful craziest thing. Yeah, yeah, so funny.
Speaker 3: When I talk to you guys, I always feel so much better about my parenting.
Speaker 4: Absolutely right.
Speaker 2: I didn't give anyone.
Speaker 3: I'd never gave anybody a gift, right, literally the weird maybe teachers back in elementary school. I don't know, but yeah, good Christmas. That's weird, and wha could.
Speaker 4: Do so weird? Honest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 8: Did happen a lot, uh honestly, like more than you would expect, like the vast majority Like no, but there was definitely like a pretty big group of uh like new members that were buying gifts and bringing.
Speaker 2: I wonder if their daughters even knew about it.
Speaker 4: That is, honestly probably not right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I don't know if I've ever told daughter I was going to drop off a gift to the recruitment chair. I can't even imagine.
Speaker 7: No, I would.
Speaker 4: Know that you're making this verse for.
Speaker 3: Me, and also like have a little faith in me, mom, like I don't bribe people like total me, then maybe I don't belong there.
Speaker 4: Totally craziest thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's a really good story page. Thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 7: Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Love that name.
Speaker 7: Thanks bye bye.
Speaker 6: Hi Hi Sarah, Hi down. I'm a huge fan. I love O vees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, that's so nice.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much, making queen, I loved you.
Speaker 2: I didn't really work, but I tried, all right.
Speaker 3: So, Sarah, you are an SMU girly.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am as you are, all right.
Speaker 3: So tell us a little bit about crazy moms at SMU.
Speaker 2: What did they do?
Speaker 9: Oh well, let me tell you. Majority of the girls' moms got them what we call a rush coat.
Speaker 3: Oh god, we did this. Yep, Sarah, we did a whole episode in this. When we first started the pod, it was well, I'm sorry, I don't mean to cut you off. My opinion on it was was pretty harsh, but please go on.
Speaker 9: Well, basically, these moms would pay lots of money for their daughters to get sort of trained on what to say during SMU rush, which I don't know if you know, is a really.
Speaker 6: Really difficult experience.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and these coaches would sort of train you on what to say, what not to say, almost like these girls were reading a script rather than you know, having a genuine conversation. I want to say about you know, fifty percent of the girls all got a rust coach.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. We spoke to these coaches. They charged thousands of dollars, thousands, not hundreds, thousands, right, Oh yeah. And I felt kind of badly because, you know, speaking to the actual coaches, they you know, they felt good about what they were doing, as they should, and they felt like it was almost like preparing for a job interview.
Speaker 2: And they really helped these girls.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I hate to be judge, but I tend to be judge, So I don't know. I just I would say, like if my kid asked me for thousands of dollars for a rush coach, I think I would say, well, I don't think rushing is for you if you're if we're that desperate that we have to spend thousands of dollars to get someone to tell us what to say and what to wear, maybe not so much exactly.
Speaker 9: And you know, for the other fifty percent of the girls, you know who didn't have a rush coach, I almost felt like their experience was way more fun.
Speaker 6: They met really people, they were a lot more open.
Speaker 9: I feel like the idea of how the rush coach was almost pressure, A.
Speaker 6: Lot more pressure, for sure.
Speaker 2: And could you tell you think like when someone had a coach and when they didn't.
Speaker 6: Oh for sure?
Speaker 9: Really why just because it was, like like I said earlier, it was almost like talking to someone who had like a script in the back of their mind, right there is going off you know what you know.
Speaker 6: This brush coach told them to say, rather.
Speaker 3: Than you know, having an actual conversation, right right, Wow, listen again. I mean, I try in life not to be judging, but I find myself in this context.
Speaker 2: I just I spent thousands.
Speaker 3: Of dollars for college tutors and essay t prep and all of that, but it feels to me like there's something that is just wrong about someone to tell your kid how to act like right, and it's a little much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, we're on the same page with that. Definitely that we are. Well.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for coming on and sharing with us, Sarah, appreciate you, luck with everything, Thank.
Speaker 7: You love.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, So next we have Gemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, Gemma, Hi, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you for coming to Dirty Rush.
Speaker 1: Okay, so my story about Mom's Gone Wild doesn't have to do with my own mom.
Speaker 6: My mom is really not a helicopter parent.
Speaker 1: She was pretty chill about grades and getting and she just wanted me to go, like to the best school that I wanted to get into. Was never intense intense, right, but she was not And with the whole sorority thing. She was in greek life, but she wasn't super pushy about me being in greek life or not. Like my sister dropped out of sorority sophomore year and she was totally fine with it. Like she just always kind of wanted us to do our own thing and be happy with whatever her choices.
Speaker 9: Was.
Speaker 2: Love that.
Speaker 1: But during college I tutored for this pretty well off in elite LA family that had very high expectations and the mom was definitely like manager of the house and particularly was very invested in her daughter and her daughter getting into certain.
Speaker 6: Colleges, the best colleges she could get into.
Speaker 2: You were tutoring this is while you were in college.
Speaker 6: While I was in college. So I went to school in.
Speaker 2: La Okay, so Okay got it, and.
Speaker 1: I tutored her throughout her like high school year. So I started when I was a freshman and she she was a sophomore. So by the time I was a senior. She was in her freshman year at USC Okay, and this mom I tutored her throughout, like with writing, reading, helped her with her college essays, like I any at a moment's notice, my mom would call me and I would hop on a zoom and help her daughter with anything. I mean, they paid me a very pretty penny.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I hope they paid you well, Okay.
Speaker 6: Very well.
Speaker 1: But I was pretty much on at their disposal all the time. And then I was heavily involved in my sorority and she she eventually got into USC, and I was very heavily involved in recruitment at my school at UCLA and she so I didn't have anything to do with USC, but I coached her through her. Like the next best thing after getting into college was that the mom really wanted her daughter to get into a good sorority.
Speaker 6: So she was like, do anything you can.
Speaker 2: Was a daughter that into it or was it more than mother?
Speaker 1: I think like she definitely was. She definitely really wanted to, especially at a school like USC where it's pretty high pressure.
Speaker 6: And I think the social just social life at US.
Speaker 1: I think it's just like at another tier, you've just just like a lot of wealth, and there's a lot like Greek life is very intense there.
Speaker 6: They're very into their alumni.
Speaker 1: And writ their sports and so it's just like at another level that I don't think usc Are UCLA operates on.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 1: So I think that she wanted it, but I think the mom wanted it more. Okay, And she was like, take her through zoom lessons, tell her what she needs to say, what would get her into a sorority? What is what does she need to have her Instagram? Look like, what are the outfits? I'll pay whatever. We just want to get this done.
Speaker 2: I ask you.
Speaker 3: You you don't have to, you don't have to tell us, but I'm gonna ask anyway, Like what were you getting paid an hour for this bullshit?
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna reveal, but it was upwards it was like more than anyone.
Speaker 2: Makes, Like was it over fifty dollars an hour?
Speaker 6: It was upwards of fifty dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wow, I'll take that job if you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it was very nice as like a broke college.
Speaker 2: Kid who no doubt.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and I grew very close with this family, very close to the daughter, and I still am I didn't like necessarily agree with the tactics there. I just think like it's just very different from how I was raising, how my mom operated, But there were different expectations there and just a different Yeah I feel like caliber, yes, but yeah, so I like coached her through or talked to her through her rush experience each night.
Speaker 6: We talk after each.
Speaker 1: Round, and it ended up that at the end of it, she didn't end up getting down to some houses that she wanted, and I kind of had I had a heavy role in my recruitment process.
Speaker 2: No, no, I just know where this is going.
Speaker 1: Okay that the mom kind of indirectly asked me if there was anything that I could do to call over, like just not sorority, not an other sorority, but in my sorority at UCLA had a corresponding sorority at USC.
Speaker 2: Right, and asked that I make a phone call.
Speaker 6: Make a phone call, and that's all I'll say.
Speaker 2: There, Well, you can't leave us hanging at that. Did you do it?
Speaker 6: I did, Paul, I did.
Speaker 2: Okay, you don't tell us that she got in or not.
Speaker 6: But mostly it was not about money or do it it was.
Speaker 1: It was mainly that I called them saying I know this girl very well. I've worked with her now for four years. She is kind, she is smart, and I think that you made a mistake.
Speaker 7: Did it help?
Speaker 6: And it helped, That's all I'll say.
Speaker 2: So I mean a few things about that.
Speaker 3: First of all, I can feel the mother's pain, right like you when your kid doesn't get into the house that they want. And I do get that. But right there's like a lesson in there, like you're not going to always get what you want. And I know what happens then, and you know, we haniwe's pull strings. But was it that was it a difficult thing for you? Did you try to say no? Are you like you know what?
Speaker 2: That's fine? I love her.
Speaker 6: I definitely deliberated over it because, like.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I just see how I went through the rush process and not to be like all hi and mighty, but I went through at fair and square. I was someone who knew nobody California, Like I went to CLA and I'm from the Midwest, Like I didn't know a single soul, and I think that the rush process worked out for me. So this seemed like this is going kind of against nature. Like yes, I really believe that like the process should work as it is supposed.
Speaker 6: To without yeah, without intervention.
Speaker 1: I was kind of like, I don't I don't know that, Like, is she going to be happy if this, if these people, if these girls didn't initially like the car that they had or didn't like them enough to invite her back.
Speaker 6: So that's what I told them, Like, I did say that with the.
Speaker 1: Mom and I had to have a really close way, and I did say that to her and she was like, I understand that, but don't you think that you know, she should be in this story? And I was like, absolutely, I think they're dumb to not bring her back, But that was the decision that they made anyway. So I just advocated on her behalf and it and it did help. I think they were like we overlooked her.
Speaker 2: And okay, but did she know that you were doing that?
Speaker 6: The daughter does not know.
Speaker 3: Now that's the part that's interesting. I mean, the whole thing is it's an interesting story, But for me, at least, the most interesting part is that the mother didn't tell the daughter right and put you in a position of doing that without, you know, telling this person that you knew and cared about.
Speaker 2: So that's a little bit.
Speaker 3: That's the part that really just just would upset me, is that you have to have a certain amount of confidence in your kid, right and let them navigate. Also, that's just part of going to college. And I, by no means am I a perfect mother. But that's what occurs to me when you're telling me the story, is that I don't know that mother. It sounds like she's just getting or was getting in her kid's way. Right, I'd be able to detach a little.
Speaker 6: Bit well, and I think at some point the other shoe is going to drop.
Speaker 3: But I just yeah, yeah, oh, I mean, listen, you can't. I will tell you this, Like I, if it was up to me, my kids would never feel pain. But that's not realistic and that's not the world that we live in, and I can't protect them from it. I have to let them, you know, feel the pain and grow from it. Maybe that kind of rejection it's okay, you know, because we all will get rejected if it's not you know, by a sorority, it's by a boyfriend or a job or you know, all the different ways that that people can tell us no, so anyway, But yeah, but so I think they probably put you in a weird position, but hopefully it all worked out and she is happy and more importantly, you're happy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, certainly happy now and I think that Yeah. I just wish the best for them.
Speaker 3: So good for you. Okay, Well, really appreciate your sharing this with us.
Speaker 6: Hey, thanks Jen, Bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: All right, you guys.
Speaker 3: So that is it for this episode of Dirty Rush. Please make sure that you follow us on Instagram and TikTok at Dirty Rush Podcast so you don't miss new episodes, exclusive clips, and more.
Speaker 2: Bye you guys.