Speaker 1: Pushkin. Welcome back to Risky Business, a show about making better decisions. I'm Maria Kanikova and today I am flying solo. Nate is away, but I am so thrilled to welcome on Rachel Batsman, who is someone who I met what is it now, Rachel six or so years ago? Oh yeah, and we ended up having so much in common, so many interests in common. Rachel is an amazing writer speaker. She was the first ever Trust Fellow at Oxford University's Said Business School. An incredibly impressive woman who now has a new audio book out called How to Trust and Be Trusted. Rachel, Welcome to Risky Business, and let's talk about trust.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to be here, and I'm so excited to talk to you in particular about trust and risk because I don't often get to have this conversation, so it's a treat.
Speaker 1: It is a trick for me as well. There's a question that I wanted to start off with, but before we get into that, I think we should probably lay the groundwork and give your definition of trust, because I think it's a beautiful definition and something that will set the stage nicely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been one of the hardest challenges actually coming up with the definition that works across all the different context that trust functions in. And my definition of trust is that it's a confident relationship with the unknown. And the reason why that ties so beautifully with risk is that the greater the unknown, the greater the answeraint you're, the higher the risk in any decision, choice or situation, the more trust that you need. And it's kind of the antithesis of how a lot of trust theories think about trust, because they'll say trust is knowing exactly what to expect or knowing what the outcome is, and that's always struck me as strange, because if you know how things are going to turn out, then you don't need a whole lot of trust.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to hear that because it is one of the important themes right of trust is control and it's something that really resonated with me as someone who studies kind of risk and has you know, my PhD, I studied the illusion of control, kind of the need for control and how important it is for people to feel like they're in control of events, in control of the environment. And so as I was listening to your audiobook, that actually that was a theme that kept coming up, right, that one of these major issues in trust is control, when we have it, when we don't have it, How we can give it up, to whom we can give it up when we give it up. I'd love for you to talk a little bit more about that and about kind of the risk calculus. How does that decision making process work when it comes to trust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's so much underneath this. I don't think we often think enough about the relationship between trust and control. So on a basic level, when you need to control things or you need to feel like to your point, the illusion of control, it's often a sign of lack of trust that you're not dealing with uncertainty very well. And this can look like all kinds of things. So during the pandemic, or during a political period of term, or like all the time, or during a serious environmental crisis like the wildfires, the need to not just find information, but find information that makes you feel a little bit more in control. So, oh, the air quality is actually okay, so I'm going to go outside. Those things really set off our control alarms all the way through to recognizing that when you don't trust someone, you tend to become more controlling, you tend to become a micromanager, and that plays out at work big time, in partnerships and relationships, but also in friendships and as a parent. To make this roll, I have two children, thirteen and eleven. The eleven year old can be trusted to do her homework, she's the girl, and not to make gender stereotypes. Then not so much. So he has to do it at the kitchen table with this dot clot with me watching him or working alongside him. That's very controlling right now. If I trusted him, he could do upstairs in his bedroom without me watching him and me not have to ask him the questions. So control is a sign of lack of trust in ourselves, in others in the external. And I'd love your take on this, but one of the things that worries me is that in the age that we live in, this illusion of control I think is sort of going up. So even if you think about health monitoring, I'm running a marathon a few months and I cannot believe how much data there is available to tell me what's going on in my body. And all of a sudden, there's quite enjoyable thing where I shouldn't really worry about the outcome. I should just enjoy the journey. It's like you become a control freak around this data, and the reality is I'm not in control as to whether I get injured. I'm not in control whether it's hot or freezing cold on that day. And so I feel like this illusion of control, largely created through technology, is reducing our tolerance to friction. And this is really a crisis in many ways because you throw people into situations not of uncertainty, just of malfriction. They have no patience, they're in tolerant, and I think it's sort of a hidden issue that isn't being spoken about enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's I think that's a really important point, because you do mention in your book. But I think we are in a time where there is kind of this crisis of trust, right, trust in so many things, trust in institutions and expertise in leadership and all of these different things. But this is the other side of it. On the other hand, like we do have this then desire to hyper monitor, which might not necessarily be the best thing. I actually always tell people, you know, stop stop wearing those devices, stop monitoring yourself. You know, it's actually it's not good. It's not healthy, and you're probably losing more than you gain, especially sleep devices. Don't get me started, But I think that you're pointing out something really important, which is that we are becoming in some ways less tolerant of uncertainty, less tolerant of the unknown. And there is this relationship. You know, how tolerant you are, how much you can embrace it, and both how much you trust and how trustworthy you are right yourself. And there's something that you said that I found really beautiful. You said you know, nothing new happens in the node, which I think is such a lovely thought. So I'd love to talk a little bit about that and about how kind of because this is something that I think a lot about right, how embracing risk, right, embracing uncertainty can actually be very liberating and can actually help you make better decisions as opposed to being afraid of it.
Speaker 2: And I think this idea that nothing new happens in the non is it's so powerful to think about your own life as to how much of your life. And some people really enjoy being in this space and that's fine, but it's safe and familiar and repetitive, even like when you get to a certain point in your career and I started to feel this way, You're like, this is relatively easy. I'm not really taking risks anymore. And maybe that fatigue is because I'm not in the unknown enough. Right, Like I'm going to go into a classroom, I'm going to get on stage, I'm going to write a piece and I kind of know how it's going to turn out, and so that takes effort, and that takes work to shake that up. So just a personal example, I've I used I see myself as an artist and I've always made art, and I was like, right, I'm going to go back to this because that is a world where I don't speak that language and I have no connections, and I am a beginner. I am starting again. I'm very much in the unknown, and I've found that risk taking that it's so energizing. Yes, it is frightening, but you just feel that capacity expanding again. Like it's like it's more than the curiosity that you have when you're a child. It's like you can hold more. It's you know. Keats uses that wonderful phrase of negative capability, and I think sort of the opposite of risk taking is all the positive capabilities, right, the skill, the competence and knowledge, And what we're missing is that negative capability, that ability to hold much and to be in the unknown. And to do that you have to take risks. You have to be a beginner, you have to try new things. And it's so easy to forget that as especially when you get later on in life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think that's that's crucial, and that's that's actually how I approach almost all new projects. Right, Is this something that scares me? Is this something where I feel uncomfortable? If the answer is yes, great, If the answer is no, you know, is it really worth it? Right? You know, you and I have talked about familiarity and that you know, that was part of your part of your book on trust, how familiarity breeds trust. But also you know, it can be a false sense of security. And I think that's true on all levels, both being you know, doing something that's just easy and familiar, and also kind of on on a level of trusting someone just because they seem familiar. It's something that makes you feel secure. But that's not necessarily good, right, And that's not necessarily the correct basis on which to trust, which I think brings us to kind of one of your points, one of the lessons from your book, which is, you know the fact that like who do you trust? Who don't you trust? Is a bad question, right, and you have to then say to do what? Yeah, and what what are you actually basing this on? And it's all it all has to do with context. Let's talk a little bit about that and tell us a little bit about your nanny as well, because it's such a great illustration of a lot of these themes and brings us back to you know, who you trust, why you trust them? Is familiarity good or bad? You know, all risk, all of these things, risk versus comfort, all of these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also you know this shift between sort of what people say and how they say it and all these things that are happening in society right now. And so just to sort of talk about a fundamental point which you mentioned that is often missed, is that trust is highly contextual. So the reason why I say it's off the missed is when you look at the way people talk about trust in the media, or I don't trust that politician, or I don't trust that platform, or it's spoken about in very generalized terms, and that is problematic because blanket trust is a very bad thing. You don't want to be trusted to do everything. And one of the ways to improve your own trust skills is to understand where you are trusted and where you're not, and that's the trust gap. The nanny story or I won't tell it all because it's quite long, and so what happened was when we were around five. My dad my mum were very busy. They were both entrepreneurs and they were traveling a lot to America. We live in the UK, and so they needed to hire a nanny to look after my brother and I and they hired this woman. I think I changed her name to Doris or stick with her, okay, And I'll never forget the day she walked in our house because she had this very thick Scottish accent, and my name is Rachel, so every time she said my name, you know, she rolled her arms and she had one of those really ruddy Scottish faces, like like they've been for a long walk over the highlands and then they're going to have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit and she was always baking as well. I remember that. But the day she walked in, she was wearing a uniform, and the uniform she was wearing was for the Salvation Army and she was carrying at tambourine, which I thought was immensely exciting as a four or five year old. The point was, that's why my parents hired her, because they told her my parents. She told my parents that she was belonged to South Asian Army. They now realize how influential the Scottish accent was because of course there was no email, there was no video conferencing. It was all done by phone, so those trust singles were really important. Well, listeners will have to listen to the book to hear the whole story. But she lived with us for nine months and it turned out she was running a massive drugs ring in North London and then she disappeared and she used our family's Volvo Silva Volvo as a getaway card an armed robbery. I mean, like, so I don't know where if that's my fascination which rus came from that.
Speaker 1: I was like, it's a good origin story, Rachel. You should have.
Speaker 2: Raised it, should raise that orangent story. But I remember thinking as a child like and even when they found out she stolen loads of money and she told them she found it under a tree in a park.
Speaker 1: This is this is one of my favorite details.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember asking my dad about this and he's like, oh, these things can happen. And I'm thinking, what in Broomfield Park, like the magic faraway.
Speaker 1: Tree is going to Have you seen the movie Fargo? You know sometimes you find large amounts of cash by the side of the road, I swear.
Speaker 2: And then they still kept her, and she came on a holiday with us to Spain. And this is such a random detail, but I remember she went to the Queen concert and she loved Freddie Mercury and they were like, wow, she loves Queen, right, so she must must be But she was not good. She was very, very bad. So yeah, so that is a really good example of a bad trust decision. And I think the part that's stuck in my head as to why my parents kept her was it was too much effort someone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, aside when he said that, it was you know, it's one of these things.
Speaker 2: When you said it, I was like, this is so true.
Speaker 1: I think the way you phrased it, because I have it in quotes, and I know it says convenience trump's trust, right, And that is I think such an important point because we make decisions all the time based on convenience and based on lower friction and inertia and being like, it's just too much effort to do X or y. When your nanny had more money, she said she found it under the same tree again, right, this tree just happened to be a money tree and there was more money under it. And the fact that you know, if you think about it logically, right, you're your father's a smart man, entrepreneur, Like you just have to say, huh, what is going on in the brain of this incredibly intelligent person. And it's one of these things where you know, I've written about con artists a few books back, and you know, you see these patterns of smart people, people who know better, and yet they end up in these situations where they keep trusting, they keep ignoring red flags because it's convenient, right, And and it also it also says something about you, Right, you don't want to be the person who left your kids with a drug dealer, right, So it's easier to say no, no, she really is trustworthy. Those things aren't true, even though it's your kids, right, and if there's any chance that this person is going to be involved in an armed robbery, get your kids the fuck out of there. But it's just all of these computing computing things, which is huge.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's funny. Like I was thinking, I love your book, The Confidence Game, and I was thinking about, you know, on the chapters and I can't remember which how you frame it. It's not the road but denal, like the power of denal, because it's your identity and that I think it explains so many reasons why people don't quit and they don't get out of bad decisions, even when they know the client isn't trustworthy or the investment isn't good or the nanny isn't like. Why we can't extricate ourselves from that situations. I think it's just a fascinating human flaw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. It really is. And you know everything ended well right.
Speaker 2: Here, you are nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know the other details of the story are fascinating and everyone should listen to it. But yeah, it is, you know, it is a really interesting part of human nature, right The way that we trust how we make those decisions. And you know when you when you said Scottish accent right for the nanny. This is something you and I have spoken about, which is kind of your your gut feelings, your your gut instincts, Oh, I like this person based on what right?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Why is that the case? And as I've as I've told you, that is not a good way to make decisions. You know, my gut said so we're very bad at figuring out whether the gut is correct or not, and so asking that question why is crucial over and over and over.
Speaker 2: Now you and can I just say, I don't know if you find this, but when I challenge, because I like to believe I'm an intuited person, right, and I'm still kind of figuring out what that means. I think it means that I'm good at reading the room and I'm good at reading energy versus predicting how things are going to turn out, which I think is what people think intuition is, right, It's more of a I see it as more reading the state someone is in and how engaged they are with you versus what's going to happen. And when I challenge people to say, look, it's not the intuition is a bad thing, particularly in situations where you recognize that pattern. It's the lack of information. So when you rely on the intuition and you just don't have enough reliable information, people hate this idea that they're like, this flies in the face of emotional intelligence, and this, you know, this is going to slow down decision making and what do you expect that we're going to get all this information about people? And how do we know if the information is really liable? And I find it really interesting that it sparks something so visceral and deep in people that they rely on the intuition.
Speaker 1: So Heavenly, yeah, people really don't like to hear that. I find that. I find that as well. And it's very funny because you know, I play poker as well, and there are a lot of poker players who are very mathematical, right, like, very quantitative. They use Solber outputs, it's all very you know, very precise. And yet when I say something like you should not trust your gut, you should not trust they get so upset, right because even someone's so mathematical to them, it seems like there's you know, the sixth sense, there's something else that like that you know has to be has to be there, And I have to say, well, sometimes your gut is right, right, but you need to ask, like, what is it based on where's the information coming from? Do I have expertise in this right? Is this something that is just unconscious expertise or is it something that is just a feeling based on who knows what? Right? And it could be very good pattern recognition, or it could be bullshit, but people really do not like to hear that, and it's it's that's a I think that's such an interesting point about trust.
Speaker 2: And I think it's I'm doing this interesting thing tomorrow on gen Z. This is the biggest study done in the UK on how they trust and how they think about the truth. And one of the things that I've been thinking about related to this is how much they not just gen Z, but rely on feelings over facts to make a decision. And that is so much to do with sort of the invisible hand of algorithms, So the vertical nature of fees where you can find things to validate how you're feeling, not even that day, that moment, that then becomes the way you make a decision, and that really frightens me. This idea of feeling your way through a decision versus looking for reliable information.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly scary that you know, I think that that is something that is the opposite of what your whole book is about about trust, right, and the opposite of everything that I've tried to do, because feelings are sometimes integral to a decision, but usually they're incidental. Right. There's a whole area of psychology that talks about how poor our decision making ability is when we rely on feelings because most of the time they have nothing to do with the decision at hand. And there's even a term called mood as information when we use kind of the mood we're in as information when we shouldn't. Right, it's a it's a major fallacy, and it really influences decisions in a negative way. Let's talk about something a little bit more positive, because you you in reviewed some really interesting people who have used trust in really interesting ways, and I was, you know, some very inspiring people like the Spanish teacher ms rad right, who who is Well, why don't you tell us a little bit about her? And about this distinction which I think is really really nice that you make between earning trust and building trust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Miss rad Oh, she was. I shouldn't pick favorites, but it really was incredible. She's was a Teacher of the Year in Illinois, and I think the thing that really struck me about her is that she's working in a pretty tough environment and she's working with often with children that have never learned how to trust anyone. They've never learned how to trust a teacher, a parent, a custodian, a friend, and she feels like she's teaching them Spanish. But actually the outcome of the year is that they've learned how to trust someone and that someone trusts them. And there's so much to the things that she does. But what I realized, we're listening to listen to it again. First of all, everything she does is free, like it's not big gestures, they're really small things. So she makes sure before the first day of term she knows every child's first name and last name, and not only that, she knows their interests. She speaks to the other teachers. She finds out what they enjoy, where they're struggling, even where they like to sit in the classroom, and so you know, when they walk in, they're like, Oh, this person cares. They took the time to understand all these things. She works on the premise that she's a giver of trust, so they don't have it, and so many teachers don't do this right. Like it's like you have to prove yourself to me, and that proving yourself to me is such an old way of thinking about power, which, to your question, is tied to this distinction between how do I build trust versus how do I earn trust? When you say how do I build trust, that is like I'm going to behave in a certain way and then I expect you to follow me. I expect you to do something for me, versus what miss Rad was demonstrating is that actually, you know, you have to continuously earn trust, and the best way to do that is to give it first, and then it becomes this really powerful loop.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that a lot of bosses and business leaders should listen to your lesson with miss Rad because it seems like it would really improve a lot of office cultures, because you do talk about this about kind of the flip side. When you do have cultures where there isn't trust right, where people micromanage, where you feel like you're you're not being empowered, and then people do all sorts of shit to you know, when they feel like that, when they're like, fine, you don't trust me. You know, you have the example of it Spencer reports, Right, Okay, fine, like how do I expense this bottle of wine? Like how do I figure out a way to screw you over? Because you don't trust me?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And I have actually found that. So my next book is about cheating. But you find that when you have these kinds of things and people feel like they can cheat, right, they feel like and they can feel like they can do things like take office supplies home, take stuff from the fridge that was brought from the office and just take it home, and they don't feel like that's stealing, even though it is right, that's not why it's therefore, but they're like, well, you know, if you're if you're not trusting me, if you're doing all of these things, then I'm going to act accordingly. And in this classroom, you see, you know, students who misbehaved and who were problems students suddenly become leaders and really promising students because of this trust dynamic shift. And I think that this is just such a powerful and wonderful lesson that we can use in a lot of different cultures. Right your school, even though I think it's incredibly important in the classroom, but I think it's important as we think about corporate cultures all the way up. And it's it's a point that I think people don't necessarily understand because sometimes they think that, well, you know, you need to kind of you need to urge, you need to you need to kind of micro manage and do these kinds of things, because well, who are they, right, I'm the boss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's it's it's such an obvious thing to say, but we take trust for granted until it's gone, and then it brings out the very worst behaviors, whether that's cheating or survival. So I had a student she put this so well because she was saying, like, you know, why don't want we talk about trust? Do we so often talk about mistrust or distrust or a lack of trust? And then she admitted she didn't really understand the difference between those things, which is interesting in itself mistrust, distrust, lack of trust. But then she said, you know, do you know what to me, like when I've been in a work environment and you can just feel like someone took the plug out and the trust is seeping out that organization. She said, you know, you owned a goldfish, and you can imagine like she's doing this in an NBA lecture hall. It's about one hundred and twenty students, and I'm like, yes, I owned a goldfish and it was called Flash Gordon. I'm trying to give her permission to tell the story here, and she's like, your goldfish was called Flash Gordon. I was like, could we get to the mesophor so. Then she says, you don't only own a goldfish, and you're not a particularly responsible pet owner golfish owner, and you don't fill the bowl up, and gradually, over time the water goes down and you don't really notice the water going down until one day you come home. And she did this with actions. The fish is gold ping like like like it can't breathe, it's suffocating, and the fish is about to die. And she said that's what I think happens to trust, is like it just dissipates until people feel suffocated. So I think this is It really struck me because the Edelman Trust Barometer just came out, which bigs feelings about and gallop at the same time the biggest trust surveys, and both of them showed that the lowest the highest trust falls. So the biggest difference in trust points it's not in politics or media, it's in employees. It's like a ten point four in employee engagement and trust. And that's that's very right. It's huge right that you always be with disengaged and or they are not behaving well, and that is that is toxic for both sides.
Speaker 1: The equation that is that is concerning. And you talk about distrust, right, and you and you talk about I think the goldfish story is a great one. You know, you talk about kind of the three d's, right, the defensiveness, disengagement, disenchantment, and how you don't always see those happening. It's very easy to miss. It's very easy to not have the communication infrastructure needed to kind of have those cycles not take place, and then you end up like a gold being goal fish and you're not quite sure how to fix it, and then you get a consultant in there, and you end up refilling the water tank without actually addressing any of the issues that made the water go down in the first place. So you know, maybe you refill the water, but you know that goldfish is not going to do well.
Speaker 2: Why wasn't anyone watching the boat? Why did no one care? Why? Like, why was no one nourishing these more things? So I do think it's a really good metaphor to think about workplace culture.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, let's turn this positive again. You you've talked to people who actually have very good workplace culture. But let's start with a hotel hospitality. You talked to someone you Jane you right, who's the CEO of the Dorchester and he well, tell me a little bit about him, and tell me what you learned from him about trust and kind of good ways to have that rapport because he's very good not just a building trust, but at repairing trust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm fascinated by hotels. I don't know about you, but like, it's not I want to go into hospitality, but they just I'm always like the theater and how they run and what goes on behind the scenes. So for listen, you don't know the Dorors to collection, it's it's it's some of the nicest hotels in the world, like it's the bel Air and the Beverly Hills and that that really fancy one in Paris. The hotels are incredible, l Maurice Maurice right. And I did get to stay in one as a work project, which was a real.
Speaker 1: Rachel, can I do a work project hotel?
Speaker 2: It was so fine. It was one of those trips where I digressed, but I said to him, I really don't want to go. And then I got there and I was like, this is the best work trip ever because this link to the story. The way they make people feel at home, and the way they recognize guests and not in like chocolate on your pillow ways I'd never experienced, not seen. I'd never experienced that feeling before, and so I was like, how do they do this? And they're so good at doing it that they run a training program where they don't just train their own staff, they train British Airways, Marks and Spent, all these companies around the world train on culture because they know how to do it. And the thing that struck me was that, first of all, he'd worked in every single department of the hotel. He'd even like been on the roof or repaired the air conditioners. You know, he'd been in the wash and not like for the day, you know how some of the CEOs do it for an hour like a rotation. He understood the hotel like a body. He understood the nervous system, He understood the components, and he knew how all of this was interconnected and if one thing went down, how it impacted others. So that was just like, wow, how many leaders understand the whole ecology and cultural system of their business. The other thing that I thought was just incredible was how much he empowered his team to do the right thing. And you know, this wasn't like the mised alarm call. He spoke about a lot because that's a big thing, and that if they missed an alarm calls. I mean people still use alarm calls, which I find strange that the personal reception has the autonomy to book another flight a business class fight without any kind of approval, regardless of the cost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was absolutely crazy. I was like, well, yeah, that is the way to remedy it, right, Like if you make me miss my float because you screwed up up, then you know, and he says, you know, if it costs ten thousand dollars, doesn't matter, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And now this is an elite I mean, this is a privilege, right, this is an incredible hotel where people a pay an absolute fortune. But the point of the story was that the apology has to match.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that Eugenio has a really good rubric for it, you know. Basically, I think the to me, the most important point of how you know he speaks about this is that trust is going to be broken, right, Like we have this illusion that like, oh, this is a trustworthy person, this trustworthy institution, trustworthy blah blah blah. So I can trust a blanket, right, shit goes wrong? Yeah, right, that's life. It happens all the time. People are going to break your trust on an individual level and on an institutional level. How do you respond to that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How do you repair it? How do you actually make it so that the trust doesn't go away, right, so that it becomes stronger. I think that that is the crucial thing here, Right. It's not like there's this beautiful thing and you can trust this and you can't trust this. That is not how it works. It is much more complex.
Speaker 2: I think to your point, what's so powerful by his story is that he says it happens like a hundred times in a day in a hotel. More like he's constantly repairing trust. And there is a distinction between those most moments and what people would call a trust crisis, you know, so a trust crisis like an AWE spill Cambridge Analytica, that's how people tend to think of trust breaking down. And yes, of course those things are going to hur and there's a lot of repair to be done there, but it's it's micro moments that often, particularly if you're in a customer centric or even just an employee centric company, they're the things that people don't think about, like how do you empower people to repair those those things? And then the other key thing tied to risk, which I thought was really key, is he doesn't want people to be risk adversed. He doesn't want his employees to be risk adverse. So it's how does he set the boundaries and be really clear about expectations so that they can play and they can delight, and they can do things still following service protocol. And I think that was just amazing to learn how they do that.
Speaker 1: I think that that is a really crucial point. You have to empower people to take risks because a lot of times, you know, trust gets broken and things go wrong, and people, you know, you've created a culture where they will be punished, right if they if they go and do something else. And I think this is actually a huge organizational problem, at least in the United States. I don't know if it's the case in the UK as well, where businesses say, oh, you know, we love risk taking. You know, we want our employees to be creative and innovative and blah blah blah. But it didn't work out, Oh you're fired. Right, What kind of a culture are you actually creating where you pay lip service to this but you don't actually inspire that kind of behavior because people are scared. They know that if you take a risk and it doesn't work out, that that's not good for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's something I mean, I'd love to ask you these questions because I've often wandered like it's taking risk of privilege.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that taking risk is a privilege because you know, I've written about this and I've thought a lot about this, you know, a really nice way of thinking about it. Is you know, when you're looking at all of these classic biases that Danny Kahneman talked about, right, risk aversion, loss of version, all of these fallacies of the human mind, right where you prefer the certain outcome over the gamble, even though the gamble has a higher expected value, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, they become completely correct and not fallacious if you can't afford to lose. Right, if you are someone who you know you need this money to pay the rent, you need this money to get medicine, even though the risk might actually the expected value might be like millions, right, and you can get a sure thing of however much it is, you will take the shore thing or if the loss right, if you gamble and you could potentially make a lot, but you could also lose something that's going to affect your ability to pay for your for your livelihood. You shouldn't take that gamble, right, because you should actually take the sure thing always. And so you see how all of these quote unquote fallacies can be completely correct depending on who you are, what risk context you're coming from, and so absolutely risk taking is a privilege. It means you can afford to lose. Right, you can afford the risk of ruin and some people can't. And sometimes you don't understand why someone doesn't take a risk, and you have to ask, well, okay, what is it about their background? And this I think we've come full circles of trust. What is it about the trust kind of the support and everything about them that can enable them to take these sorts of risks And you know, something that you end with which I think is a good place for us turned And this is where it's going with trust sleeps, right and confidence in the unknown. And I think trust sleeps are also a privilege, but I.
Speaker 2: Think so too so a trust sleep is whenever you take a risk to do something new or to do something differently in your life. But actually writing the book made me think about them really differently, because if you think about going back to wonderful miss rad and it made me think, you know, trust sleeps are a privilege, but they're also permission. What made me realize is like often people go, okay, well you need to provide security, and you have to provide that's usually financial the way they think about it. And what she does is she says, actually, a trust sleep is when the child says the first word in Spanish, because when you speak in and the language and there's a risk that everyone is going to laugh at you in that class, like that's actually taking a risk, and that what she has to do is create the comfort and the security that no one's gonna laugh and there's gonna be no repercussions. And the thing that they think about is like when those kids say the first word and everyone sort of looks at them with admiration, and then they start saying a whole sentence. That's the permission piece. That's what I mean by like if you think if listening says going, well, I'm just not very good at taking risks and I really don't enjoy them, and I don't even know how to take a trust leap. Start really small, right because it's forward momentum, like once you feel it and you're like, oh no, I'm speaking a whole paragraph in front of the class. And I think a lot about those children when I'm trying to encourage people to take trust leaps. They don't have to be enormous physical feats. They don't have to be leaving your job and starting a new company. They don't have to be taking a math bet or leaving your partner, whatever it may be, and she some of the most powerful trust leaps are really really small, where they get higher high, and they give you permission to discover something else about other people, about yourself, about your community, or about the world.
Speaker 1: Look at us ending on such a powerful and positive and inspirational note. I think I think that that actually is such a great message to hand done right, that these don't have to be huge things, and that everything about trust you can start small right and build on that. And I think that that's very empowering. And I hope that people do listen to your full audiobook because I think you'll learn a lot. I learned a lot about the nature of trust and how we can be more trustworthy and also create more trust in the world, which I think is crucially important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I can't wait to read more about cheating, which is always fascinating me. So it's always a delight and pleasure. And thank you for appearing in the book as well. You did a joke.
Speaker 1: So of course, thank you so much for joining me. I could always talk to you four hours, and I appreciate you taking the time to talk about trust and risk and all of it. Let us know what you think of the show. Reach out to us at Risky Business at pushkin dot fm. And by the way, if you're a Pushkin Plus subscriber, we have some bonus content for you. We'll be answering a listener question each week that's coming up right after the credits.
Speaker 3: And if you're not subscribing yet, consider signing up for just six ninety nine a month. What a nice price you get access to all that premium content and ad for listening across Pushkin's entire network of shows.
Speaker 1: Risky Business is hosted by me Maria Kanakova.
Speaker 3: And by me Nate Silver. The show is a co production of Pushkin Industries and iHeartMedia. This episode was produced by Isabelle Carter. Our associate producer is Gabriel Hunter Chang. Sally Helm is our editor, and our executive producer is Jacob Goldstein. Mixing by Sarah Bruguer.
Speaker 1: If you like this show, please rate and review us so other people can find us too. Thanks so much for tuning in.