Speaker 1: Welcome back to Part two of our conversation with Jeff Ogilvie. If you miss part one, check it out in iTunes, on our website, or on Stitcher or wherever else you listen to podcasts. In Part two, we dive into how Jeff got into golf course architecture, what he loves about strategy, what he thinks about PGA tour setups, what TPC course he'd like to renovate, and much more. Without further ado, here's Part two of our conversation with Jeff Ogilvie.
Speaker 2: I miss the green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a brid egg Friday egg, the dreaded Friday Friday, fridagridagg bride egg.
Speaker 1: Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the course. You're a big fan of golf course architecture. In fact, now you're you're part of a firm. I mean you're with Mike Clayton, Mike kak Ing and Ashley Mead OCCM. So how did you get interested in the subject at first?
Speaker 2: Well, at first, I mean I grew up in Melbourne, right right, next door to Royal Melbourne. Basically I wasn't a member, but I was a caddy at rock Roll Melbourne. I was pretty young, thirteen fourteen, and if you're a caddy, they let you play the East Course after four point thirty pm. So I wasn't a caddy to caddy. I had no interest in caddying. I caddied a little bit. Caddies were kind of dying in Australia a little bit at that point. It was kind of dying off. People weren't doing it as much. But I'd caddy every now and then. But I really did it just so I could play Royal Melbourne at after four point thirty and I all summer. Mama dropped me off there at four twenty eight and I would walk straight to the first tea on the East Course and I would play until dark and should pick me up. Every now and then i'd sneak a few holes in the west, which we weren't supposed to do. Which is the better of the two, I mean, they're both amazing. So I did that and I joined Victoria Golf Club when I was sixteen. But I grew up on the sand belt and I just thought which are. Clearly, everybody who knows golf course architecture has any interest knows that the sand Belt, whether they've been there or not, they understand that they're some of the world's best courses. I just thought that was normal, so I didn't I didn't know how treated. I mean, everyone told me how good Royal Melbourne was, and these courses are great and they're better than everywhere, but I didn't really. We all thought that everything in America was better. The Australian attitude traditionally was always, oh, everything in America is that's always on TV. They're green, and the sanders white, and the water is blue and big pine trees and everything that we didn't have we thought was great. But then as I as I kind of got to the elite amateur level and you'd play amateur tournaments, it's so unfair. I mean, it's fair for the amateur, but it's unfair for everyone. Amated tournaments have played on the best courses in the world usually, and the British amateur I mean I played British amateurs at Rows and George's Millfield and Canburry, and I played the Snandra's Lynx Trophy, a great amateur tournament that's still going on, which was three rounds around the old and one around the New and the Bratherson Trophy. The English stroke play was raws and George's we played one time. So I just thought, well, this is what golf is because everywhere I knew there were some crappy courses around, but I just thought the great courses were all great. And then when I turned pro and started playing in Europe and I realized the courses that you play on tour, just like, what is this, This isn't good, This isn't no, this is not it? When do we get to the good courses? And I finally it took me forever to work out. So I grew up in the area of maybe the densest great courses in the world, at least up there with Long Island and Westchester County and Carmel and and Surrey, say in London. It was just I couldn't it just it just disappointed me so much that everywhere we went it was just so vanilla and bad. I just and it was it was going to bad courses that made me realize how good good courses are and how much your enjoyment of the day. Your enjoyment of the game, whether you acknowledge it or not, is built in where you're playing. And not just the golf course either, the whole the feel of the clubhouse and the smell of the locker room and the and the way the parking lot is and the first tea in the pro shop and just the whole feel of the place contributes so much to your enjoyment of the game, and it's so underestimated. And I kind of I worked that out in reverse because I just thought this was golf. And when I started going to lots of other places, I'm like, this is just not as enjoyable. Why, you know, I'm playing golf, I'm making money, I'm hitting the ball well, I'm making lots of birdies. Why And I finally worked out that someone would invite me to Sunningdale or something, and all of a sudden that feeling was back. It's like, oh, this is the game game I play. I love this. I mean, how good is this place?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And I started really noticing the level of enjoyment I had. Just it's a feeling more than anything else. And just when you're at one of those places, and I just started getting really addicted to those sort of places. You know. I've got a few invitations to Swinley Forrest, which still might be my favorite course in the world. Harry Colt's least Bad course is how he describes it. It's like a mini little pine valley, really exclusive. I had a friend who the manager room. I went and played there a few times, and it's just absolutely amazing. It's just like, I just want to play golf all day every day. Just drop me off here every day. That's just what I wanted. And then we would go back out on tour and play some awful cow paddic in Germany, and it's just like, what are we doing here? Like the tour should be playing on things like Swaly frosts. This is just ridiculous. So I kind of it went and reverse, like I didn't know how good I had it until I went somewhere else. So it just it grew from that, really and as I said, just that feeling of the feeling you get when you're at whatever, these really really really like highly ranked, amazing places. So many people all this shot values and like they focused on completely the wrong thing. It's just a feel when you pull up Cyprus point, You're just happy, don't care. It's just a good feel. Like the locker room is the same one it's been for one hundred years. Like the pro shop tiny, Like there's the first tea, boys, go play well, see you in four hours. Like it's just everything about it. So I just liked golf so much more at places like that that I started crazing going to places like that, and it kind of built out of that.
Speaker 1: It's the really great places generally get it really well because all the emphasis is placed in the tensions on the golf course and kind of everything else comes second.
Speaker 2: It seems. Yeah, it's no big gates and driveways and bag drops and fountains and lake brass handles on the doorknobs and silk toilet paper and all that. It's just complete fluff that means absolutely nothing and contributes nothing to the feel of a place. The feel of a place is the tradition, and the golf comes first. This is a golf club, guys, We're all here to play golf, like we're gonna do it. I mean a lot of the I've got amazing clubhouses, and I've got all the other stuff, but that's just makeup on top of like a makeup on top of something beautiful, like it doesn't need to be there to be great. As you say, focus on the golf, and almost all of them are very very like tied to the history of their club, like this is the way it was, so this is the way we're going to keep it. And they've been had obviously had great superintendents and great managers and greens committees through the years that generally have preserved have understood why their place was great and preserved that. The places who don't understand it, with the bad supers and the bad greens committees and the bad owners have thought that their driving range wasn't the lockers weren't big enough, or that we need three beef jerky after the fourth green or something like all that stuff. The clubs that have focused on the non golf stuff and the have lost their way. The ones who the Cyprus Points, the pine valleys, the Sunningdals, the Swinley Forests, the Shintikock Hills, they're so like the are they would have been eighty years ago. The smart people in the club have understood why their place was great, and they've preserved that at all costs. And there's a reason why these places are great, and the clubs that recognize that are the ones that the ones that thrive and kind of get better and better over time because they just create that the more history and more field of the place.
Speaker 1: It's like a perfect analogy. I was thinking that somebody was saying something along similar lines. They were talking about all the architects that have worked at this one course, and I was thinking in my head, I'm like, you know, Oakmant's only had three pro golf professionals in their whole history, and you know some of these clubs have had ten architects work there.
Speaker 3: It's like that, you know, you're trying to do too much.
Speaker 1: Less is more a lot of times in golf and just being focused on the core of the game, which is the horse and competition is all you kind of need. What's your biggest pet peeve in golf course architecture, Well.
Speaker 2: The general one would be a completely a complete misunderstanding of strategy. And I know the non golf architecture people like with that, rolling their eyes when when people like us start talking about strategy, but it's so fundamental it's architecture one oh one that the whole to me has to make sense. Tenet rifles. I pick thirty in augusta hold that everybody knows. It's it's close to the perfect hole because the more kind of the better you are, and the braver you are off the tee, the easier your second shot. Like and exponentially too, you're closer to the hole, you have a flatter line, and you have a better angle. Every yard you go away from the creek or every yard that you're not capable of hitting a good draw. The further away from the creek you're further away, your angle gets worse and the ball gets more above your feet. It's and it's a hole that gives the alien handicapper a par every time. Really, Like, if you want to make five on thirteen Augusta, and that's your innate goal, your goal, you will make it every time generally because you've got one hundred yards a fairway out to the right, you've got a hundred yards of a fairway to lay it up and to and you've got a massive green did you hit it onto with a big backstop? And you're going to have less than twenty five feet for Bertie every single time if you play it with that's your intent. But as soon as you start trying to make a four or a three, that's when you bring in all the carnage and are you brave enough and are you good enough to do this? And that principle that's the one that annoys me when they don't get it right, And funnily enough, almost nobody gets it right. Like it's such a basic principle that you open up a green from one side and you challenge the player to hit it to the good angle. But by doing that you have a deep little bunker and out of bounds fent, so you have the water on that side of the hole. So you have to challenge that off the tee. If you want to hit the ball close. If you don't want to hit the ball closer and you just want to make a par or a bogey, that's fine, take the easy way, take no risk, but you're really going to have no fun. Like that principle. To me, it seems to be hard for people to get but that when that goes wrong, I completely kind of tune out and I have no interest. And unfortunately it goes wrong almost everywhere these days or not, there's a renaissance if you like to steal Doake's company name, which is appropriate of architecture. That's bringing that back. But a specific one would be I don't understand why trees can be in front of bunkers double hazards, like one specific little advantage. Quite often you'll you'll hit it in the bunker and you'll be're screwed because you're in the bunker, but there's a tree in front of the bunk as well. It's like, why is the bunker heat because I was already going to be screwed anyway, Like I trades it and it gives the guy who's practiced his fairway bunker play and it's developed the skill to do that. It's like saying, not you're not allowed to do that. There's no point practicing your bunker play because we're just going to put you behind a tree, you know, double hazards for a really little specific example, just it just draws me absolutely crazy.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with that. Mine's always card path. But the strategy stuff. I played this new gil Hans that's a hoopie match club and it's sure enough it's a match play course and they have half powers on the scorecard. You know they it's it's a turd against to talk about your score at the course, like what you shot, Like they don't want to hear it. But like I walked off the eighteenth hole after playing it once and I was thinking through it and I was like, you know what, the strategy made sense on every single hole if I took the aggressive line and I got the reward, and it was almost it's like shocking to feel that way where I was like, wow, they got all the strategy right. It's crazy how often it goes wrong. So do you you mentioned with the double hazard, like, do you think that the way the PGA Tour courses that they play promotes a certain type of skill and mutes other skills and golfers.
Speaker 2: I think so yeah. I mean the biggest probably the biggest issue I think that certainly faces American golf in other countries but mostly in the US, is the overwatering of golf courses, the over irrigation making it really green. And golf is always that it is more interesting when the ball will do something when it lands. When a ball plugs all value of controlling ball flight and shape, and it's completely irrelevant if the ball is just going to plug then plug on the fairway and then plug around the greens and not go anywhere when it lands. You are really just promoting long hitting good putters. You want to hit the ball long, and you want to be a great putter and be great with your sixty you know, around the greens out of rough that now I understand these are going on TV and motley courses that are like different shades of green and brown don't present perhaps to some people's eye, as well as striking green fairways. But when you set them up soft, which pretty much exclusively the PGA Tour is set up very soft, very narrow, very long, very long, rough, very kind of penal style of thinking, you create guys that all you want to do is go home and work on hitting long, high drivers, long eye iron shots and be a great putter. Whereas say Snandrew's, for example, where the ball never stops when it lands, you know, it stops when it wants to. The flight that it comes in on is very important. The angle you come from is just exponentially more important the angle you're on. If the ball's landing, rolling when it lands, they might not present quite as well on TV, but they promote a much more interesting style of golf. So I understand the predicament. I mean Sonandraw's is an underachiever on TV and an overachiever when you're there, you know. And that's the extreme example of the whole kind of brown, sort of no definition kind of thing. On TV. It doesn't present that well, but when you play it, you understand that that's the best version of the game you can And you can replicate that principle on any golf course really, and it can be not going to be as brown as Snandra's. It can be greener, but it has to be. We have to water golf courses. We have to water them less because we have to let the ball bounce when it lands. If the ball doesn't bounce a role when it lands, the so much of the kind of depth and interest or all the shades of gray come out of the game. And it's a that would be my one thing. We promote long hitting good putters just because of how soft and narrow and long imposed are.
Speaker 1: It seems like to me, just having watched a lot of professional goth like almost like the real the most impressive talent with tour players is the ability to hit the ball the exact number they want, and if it rolls, that's when they lose control.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're very very good even before track Man. TrackMan's made it better and we're a little bit more fine tuned, but even before that sort of technology, two guys, Yeah, between under kind of two hundred yards. I mean, when guys are feeling it and playing well, they could tell you after the ball's gone ten yards in the air if it's going to go one hundred and ninety six or one hundred and seventy eighth or I mean, very very good at distance control. Late. It's so important to play, but as you said, it kind of gets a little bit. It's it's a little bit easier when the ball doesn't roll when it lands because it's very definite, like you've got a definite starting point and a definite ending point. There's no like, oh, did that hit a downslow board? Did that hit an up slope? Was the height is less relevant? I mean a high shot that goes one seventy in a low shot that goes one seven. If it's soft, they both go one seventy, But the low one that flies one seven, he's going to go one eighty five. It's firm, and the high one is going to go one seventy five, you know, so fly, there's just more depth to more shades of gray. I think firm golf bring but I understand that. I understand the presentation of the pictures and stuff, But firm golf tends to find the class in a PGA Tour event pretty quickly. Mm hmm, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's firm golf is so much tougher to it's just so much harder to hit numbers, and it's it brings the precision of the game up so much more so of all. You know, I don't want to get you in trouble with anybody that's like consulting architects at like clubs or anything. If you could just blow up and completely redo one TPC course, which one would it be?
Speaker 2: I would love and I and I think, as I said, I think Pete Dye was great. You know. I think you really understood the strategy of the game better than anyone else in that era. Most of its holes make sense in some way. Esthetically. I don't love the whole like all the sleepers and stuff, but I mean in some places I think they're great. I think they've got a little overdone, and I would love to have a go at saw brass. And I wouldn't change the routing, you wouldn't change the kind of in a kind of strategy on the course. I would just make it a little bit more attractive around the edges. I think it's a little bit too center ties and neat. Now I'm not a big fan of those big, long flat bunkers, you know, those two hundred yard long bunkers that just like run halfway up a hole on one side with just this perfectly uniformed bank along the side of it. Like I'd like to see that area of Florida can look like Pinehurst, you know, it can look kind of raggedy and pine straw and sandy kind of. I would love to kind of get that more to a Pinehurst pine Valley style kind of thing, because I think the bones that sawgrass are there to just be. It's a really really good golf course. It's just a little bit too neat and a little bit too kind of I don't know, not kind of it just forced narrowness in a few different spots. And I think it's a wonderful course. I mean, just just the first few holes. I mean you have to fade the T shot off the first you have to draw the second shot. The second hole you have to draw the T shot, fade the second shot, and that pattern follows almost the whole course. If you don't move it both ways, you're really not going to be able to shoot a great score there. And I think that was kind of that kind of rugged look and some like some good looking bunkers and stuff. I think it could be really really special sort grass. I think it's really close to being special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it opened, it was a lot more rugged looking. I feel like it's gotten more and more capped over time, and I think it's part of the you know, when you charge four hundred dollars for somebody to come play, that's what they expect. But you know, you talk about those two hundred yard long traps, it's like, you know, for the vast majority of that bunker, it has no effect on a tour player. And it just like I always whenever I walk around that golf course or watch it on TV, I think about how hard it must be for a fifteen handicap.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, that would be a brutal course for a fifteen night a gap guy. I mean, it beats us up, as you're saying, and because it's such a test and you really have to be moving the ball both ways, and it's always windy and you've got to be greater and the grains obviously, it's it would be I kind of imagine the average, like the average nice twelve fifteen hendicap guy who's a good golfer playing there. It would just bash you over the head all day and it would just be just And everybody wants to play it, obviously because it's seventeen in the history and the tournament, and I completely get that, but it wouldn't be that enjoyable experience if you did it all the time, because it would just beat you over the head all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think about if I live there and I could play there every day, I probably would play a lot of other places in town more than there, because you know, it would be really fun to go play every once in a while. But like you know, playing like extreme championship golf course like isn't always the most fun place to play on a day offer like just for a casual round.
Speaker 2: No, Well, I think that's the thing that's gone the most wrong. If you want to pick something that is going wrong. I think golf has gone great, but that kind of Tory Pine South mentality of take this great municipal on is just arguably maybe one of the best places of the land in the world, and you just make it the hardest, longest slog that completely detracts from where you're at because it's such a beatdown. It's like somebody bashing you in here with the sledgehammer eighteen times. It's just it's missing the point. I wouldn't want to go play that. When people ask you, I go play Tory Times, I'm like, no, you're not going to have any fun. Go for a walk around the property shore because it's a stunning place, but it's so hard that it's not enjoyable. I mean, with the exception of probably Pine Valley and Oakmont, which are outliers really in the great golf courses, in that their intent was to be really, really difficult and just they happen to end up great. I mean, generally, if difficulty is the mission, you don't end up with something great. Generally, Oakmond Pine Valley of somehow got out of that for lots of other reasons. But the great golf courses usually have lots of width and lots of options, and if a tool player wants to go shoot even par or something at Augusta, it's really not that difficult if his intent is to shoot even par. As soon as he starts trying to make birdies, that vantage comes and he shoots seventy eight. But they allow everybody to play. These top fifty golf courses generally easier for an aiden handicapper and harder for a scratch player, you know, And I think that that's what has got got when when places go wrong, that's the point they miss. I think you want to make golf as easy as you can for the aiding handicapper, because it's already really hard for him. You know, a dead flat hole with no hazards and like bumper bowling version of golf is still really hard for that guy. But the scratch guy, he needs the challenge. And I think that Snandrews. The Augusta is, the Shinnecocks, the Nationals, the pick any of the Chicago golf clubs, the Cyprus Points, I mean, you pick any number of them, and generally they're they're easier for the alien handicap guy. But they're much more difficult for the two level guy or the scratch guy, because the scratch guy wants to beat his head shoot two or three under par, and to shoot two or three under par, you've got to start making some taking some risks, and then you'd start getting into all the carnage if you just want to shoot, like the fairways usually really wide, and you're just when you're a handicap and you want to just bogey every hole. It's relatively easy if your goal to boge every hole is to do that, because they give you a lot of room to avoid the problems if you're willing to give up birdies and pars. That aspect, I think is kind of where it went wrong. It's like, we're just going to make golf hard because people want it hard. And when you make it hard across the board, it's just it's just something that's too hard. You need to have challenge, but too hard just for hard's sake. It just gets boring after a while and you choose to do something else because it's just it's beating you over the head, and where's the It's got to give you a few thrills here and there, you know, you've got to find your ball and you're going to be able to get to par fours in two and past threeson one. For that exams that matter, it's that if you if you went by that principle, I think you really it's hard to go wrong. How do we make this easier for adian handing hebron and harder for a scratch guy. I think golf courses that tick that box are usually almost all the way there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And a good way to do that is with don't water it too much, because then you know, when a guy duffs it, it rolls for a while, and it's rolling towards the hole, and for the good player it makes the margin for error slimmer when they're trying to get out of pin. It's like, you know, it all goes hand in hand, and it seems pretty simple.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I mean, I know people love green and that's fine. And when you start stop watering so much, you still got to water to make grass grow. I mean, we're not talking about not watering, but just so the ball does something when it lands. What really first made me think about this was I was at Pinehurst for the Open. I can't remember which one I think the most recent.
Speaker 1: One, but one, yeah, twenty fourteen, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I was in the bar at the Pinehurst Hotel or whatever, and I was just sitting there with my body having a beer or something, and the table next to us, so like, oh, we started chatting about the tournament and stuff like that, and they say, yeah, there were snowbirds down there and they played there every winter. But they came down to watch the Open. And I said, well, which course do you like the best? Do you ever play number two? Or is it too hard? And they said no, no, no, no, no, you don't know what you're talking about. Number two is the easiest for us. That's the one we like the most because it's the easiest for us. All the other ones they're the hard ones because they've got forced carries and stuff everywhere, and it blew me away. It's like Pinet's number two. It's so difficult for us. It's out. It's just incredible. But he explained, this guy explained the husband and wife. They explained that they could put it from everywhere. They have no forced carries anywhere. The ball rolls a long way. It's quite easy to keep it out of the trouble. If feds that's their only mission. They get it around the green, they roll their putter up onto the green. They one part for par or they're two put for bogey, and they're like all the other ones. We've got to hit like it shots over water and deep bunkers and all that, and pinehas gives the average player room to do what he can do. But at the same time it presents such a challenge. I mean, the hardest iron shot you could be in the middle of the fairway all day at Pineha's for a two level goal. For if you even par from the middle of the fairway, if you hit twelve greens in regulation for the day, you've had a great day. And that's somebody giving you. It is so hard for us, and it just crystallized this idea in my hands, like, well, what, that's the principle that's perfect. Number two was their favorite and it was also my favorite, And it was my favorite because it was so difficult, and it was their favorite because it was kind of relatively easy for them. So it was just amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah to me, I'm seeing Painehurst the next week for the first time, and like, as I've thought about through Open a US Open Championship courses like that one to me seems like the one that gets it the most right in terms of it's got with it's got angles. But like, the greens are so interesting and so difficult that, like, you know, eighteen handicaps are only going to hit four or five greens in a round, you know, regardless of what type of greens they are. That's where the challenge has to come to really challenge you guys.
Speaker 2: It seems like, yeah, the greens. I'll be interested to see what you think about the greens. They're very repelling. Obviously, they're all they're up in the air and they kind of they roll off on all four sides, and they're incredibly uncomfortable. It makes you uncomfortable, which is what a lot of great holes do. They make you what they make you sort of take on shots you don't really want to, you know, but you know you kind of have to take it on anyway, because if you don't take it on and swing with real conviction, you're going to miss the green and you're going to make a bug. So you've really got to play with conviction and really kind of know what you're doing. And it's a little bit I don't know if I'd want to play Partners number two every day, but it's a brilliant place and it's got to talk about great fear, and it's got such a great feel and the Crenshaw core redo is just so brilliant. Like it just it didn't change Pinehurst. It just brought it back to what it should be, at least from an aesthetic perspective. And it got rid of the silly ruff and irrigated the center line the cent line irrigation as opposed to throwing the irrigation into the rough and stuff. I mean, they did some really really good stuff and it should be one of the benchmarks for remodels around the country because they did. They did a lot of stuff right. So I think you'll enjoy it. I think you'll be surprised at how extreme some of the greens are, but I think you'll enjoy it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the only way to challenge like a player of your caliber is to like in today's game, it's to become driver wedges, to have greens that make you uncomfortable with a wedge in your hand, and.
Speaker 2: That does that. Promists will do that. There is no distance away from the green that is truly comfortable until you're on it.
Speaker 1: So let's get it, yeah out of here. On a few quick questions. So you get one course on each continent.
Speaker 3: What are you picking?
Speaker 2: Okay, North America, let's say, Well, that's a difficult one because North America might have the best bunch of golf courses there is. Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna The obvious would be Pine Valley. If you've been to Pine Valley, and anyone who has would say the same thing. But I'm gonna stay by that. I'm going to go National Golf Links of America. I just think it's it's it's everything that's great about the template whole concept, and it's it's it's that the beauty of North American press Wick kind of presented in such a beautiful way, and like it maybe one of the more beautiful places in the world. I mean, it's just it's just everything golf could be. It's just fun. It's just a fun adventure. It's just an adventure, and it's fun. Europe, I guess I already And Swindley Forest I think is my favorite. Now if I want to pick the best, I'm I think Snandra's is our sports measuring stick. I think everyone should go to the Old Course, and I think everyone should play it as much as they can, walk it as much as they can, and watch people play it as much as they can, and it really after a while, it might it might be like some music for people to get back to music, kind of analogy. It might sound like noise at first, but after a while you begin to hear the melody like the Old Course. That is what it is. It's just it's everything all of a sudden. It might go off day one, or it might take fifty days, but eventually the light bulb is going to go up and go ah ah, I get it now. But that's the point, and it's so obvious and it's so amazing, and it's it's if you put me on one golf course in Europe for the rest of my life to play. If it wasn't the Sween Leaders, because I love the field of the place, it would be the Old Course because it's just it's just as I said, it's it's the sports measuring stick and it needs it's respected, but it needs to be respected more. It needs to be visited by everybody. It's the Vatican or it's Macca. It's like, that's that's the thing, that the whole game is built around. The principles that are that are exemplified best at the Old Course. Australasia. Content I don't. I can't talk South America because I've never been there. So pick me one. He's the dog here of the dog. What's that? Well?
Speaker 1: I played the Jockey Club in Argentina.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's supposed to be great, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the one. Yeah, yeah, that's that's a good one.
Speaker 2: All right, So I'll go with you on that one. Jockey Club Asia, I'm not sure either. I haven't played much architecturally significant stuff in Asia, not enough to like make any comments. I know India's got to cut the great ones. Japan's got a cut the great ones? Is it Herono? I think it supposed to be great. I haven't played enough there. I've played a couple of tournaments there. We play this cool Visa t Hayo thing, which is not that amazing course, but it sits at the bottom of Mount Fuji. It's a beautiful kind of places because you look up at the elusive Mountain or whatever they call it. It's in the clouds. It's out of the clouds. There's snow on the top of it. The mountain to draw when you're a kid. So I can't really speak for Asia, but we'll put Australia in Asia because there's a lot of Australia and raw. Melbourne is by far and away my favorite course in Australia. It's so good it's it baffles every time I play. It's on those courses. I like it more every time I play it. Of the two, the West Course is the one of my favorite. It's incredibly short now, unfortunately, but I'll often go out just with a persimmon wood and a half set blade putterer, you know, go old school, and I never never don't it's even a golf course. I'd go playing the rain for fun, you know. It's just I just love everything about it.
Speaker 3: Would that be a good.
Speaker 1: Format for the PGA Tour, is like a half set, like a six or a nine club event.
Speaker 2: I think that would be great. I think a half set whatever, Yeah, six club, nine club, pick one. I mean I think the less clubs are more interesting. To a point three clubs is probably a bit low, but like six would be really interesting, right that would be a fun time, especially around a course that it would suit, you know, like a maybe it's too small for modern golf with all our stuff, but you find but you really want to have an event there and it really worked. Maybe do the sixth the six club thing there. Maybe it's only thirty six holes, but maybe you make all the players up and everybody talks about or why did you pick three one? I mean, I can't believe you put a three on and you've got to go a five one and then I hope or I mean you'd have those great kind of debates about what everyone was picking and why they were doing it, and do you have a sixty or do you just go fifty four or do you go straight from pitching wedge to sixty or do you go nine nine to fifty four? Or like it'd be great, Yeah, it would. That'd be fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that would be super cool.
Speaker 1: You could do it at like a you know, a sixty four hundred yard classic course too, which would be super fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There'd be so many courses that are so great, and unfortunately almost all of those really a great ones, they're probably getting too short, except for the ones that the usgas manipulated that you go on these really great and have like the old school classic or whatever you want to call it, Like we can use modern stuff, but like less clubs. And it would be really really interesting because guys might not take a driver, you know, three wood might be their max, you know, because they might want more clubs down the other end of the back. So yeah, I think it would be giving guys the choice of which one is to choose and seeing how they thought was best to attack the course. It'd be great to be a brilliant event.
Speaker 1: And then you could have a whole preview show where Phil just walks you through his philosophy on each one of his clubs.
Speaker 2: Yes, so that would be. He'd write a novel on that one.
Speaker 3: He might carry two drivers.
Speaker 2: He is maybe he is one of the more interesting dinner party guests there is on tour. I mean he he he believes with such conviction, whether he kind of deep down knowses the kind of crap or not. He just loves trying to get one up in front of everybody. And he's obviously very very smart, and he spends a lot of time trying to outthink the whole thing, and it's just fascinating. Some of the stuff he comes up with. He's absolutely brilliant. Who goes to Tory Pines without a drive? The longest he was open in history in two thousand and eight, he went with two three woods. He didn't go with a driver. And then he goes to the Masters like well, the year before I think he went to the Masters with two drivers of no freewood like brilliant, tough, I mean, and when he tells you for ten minutes and he'll sell his theory, is that? Yeah, you know what, he's probably right there, you know, because he sells it so well, it's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's one of the kind. What about Africa?
Speaker 2: No, I haven't played enough well doerbed, but maybe pretty.
Speaker 3: Good in it, I think, Yeah, I think that's a good one.
Speaker 2: I haven't played enough to to make up enough of an educated statement on that one.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, yeah, that's all right. Next quick one here. If conditions are right, firm and fast, what's the winning score at Shinnacock this year?
Speaker 2: It'll be overpower, I would imagine, depending on the teas. I mean, they've built some like Godzilla level teas, but they don't necessarily use them, right, I mean a lot of these openmont They threw a few teas in that we didn't really scare very much. You know, they put them there in case conditions get to the point where they might want to need that right I have. It's such the way the land is there, it's never going to get soft. It's's hard to imagine shinnacock too off. It might be raining, but it's still going to have that firm element because of the sand underneath. So I would I think it'll be very close to par. I don't think it would be won't be the Aaron Hills scoreline. I think it'll be more. If you're even par after three rounds, you're going to have a real chance.
Speaker 3: That's uh. I hope that that happens.
Speaker 1: I wish they wouldn't have a narrowed at That really kind of buged me.
Speaker 2: The narrowing. I don't mind the lengthening as much because we do hit the ball so far now, But the narrowing is the offensive stuff because you lose some of the angles and stuff of the You lose the intent and some of these greens which are unhittable from say where the middle of the fairway is now are very hittable from where the edge of the fairway used to be. And now that the edge of the fairway isn't where it used to be, is now rough. You don't have McDonald rainer angle that they said, wow, unless you're good, if you can get it here, you can play this hole. If you can't, you can't. I don't like it when that stuff gets taken away, But the length, I don't mind car as much because in this dynagic s out of affairs, we kind of native bit length.
Speaker 1: That's I did this article on AUGUSTA, and I looked at the holes that they've narrowed with the trees like eleven and versus the holes that they've just lengthened and haven't really added trees, and it's it's unbelievable, like those holes that they added the trees that they're just trading birdies and bogies for double bogies, so you know, like they're just you know, they're losing excitement and interest in the game because people aren't able to get to certain pins with the right angle. And then the holes that they've just lengthened have like stayed the distribution over the last fifty years has stayed like exactly the same.
Speaker 2: Well, because we hit the ball whatever, let's say fifty odd longer than in nine fifty or whatever it would be. Yeah, it's probably and I know they say why you should be hitting seven eines inn and all that, but a two hundred yard shots are two hundred yard shot, you know, like seven nine to two hundred yards and a four he two hundred yard. Yeah, the seven eydes a little easier to too, or two hundred, but the real inherent difficulty in that is the fact that it's two hundred yards and the fact that a seven eine now is probably what a five iron was lost wise back then, So it's really like a five on anyway, right, But the narrowness, Yeah, like seven and seventeen are the ones I disliked the leaf or the new trees at the Masters. The seventeenth Green might be one of the more interesting greens ever built in the world. And the whole point was especially though, because it's kind of a it's high in the middle and it goes down to the right and it goes down to the left. Kind of the point is the pins on the left. You actually want to drive it up the left, which is counterintuitive, right, That's why it's a clever green. And when the pins on the right, you want to blow it as far right as you can to kind of be landing into that upslope on the right inside of the green. You can't do that anymore. Everybody's dictated to hit from the same spot. So if you don't hit the if you hit the middle of the fairway, it's kind of a part three because everybody's hitting their second shot from the same spot. It's clearly more interesting when the fan, the patrons, if you like, behind the green. I seen one guy come in from the middle of the fifteenth seway and another guy coming in from over near the seventh green to the same pin. It's like maybe two different theories or whatever, and that is interesting, much more interesting than two guys hitting it from the same spot. Well, that's I think.
Speaker 1: And like you look back at the nineteen eighty six Masters, where Jack was hitting a second shot on the seventeenth, he would have been in like a canopy of trees and he would that the most one of the most famous moments in in major championship history would never have happened with the vern lunkuis yesterda car like if he'd played that today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, and I think yeah, with lack of width, is is kind of deciding that your greens and your bunkers are your greens aren't good enough. You know, If your greens are good enough and they're interesting enough, then it really you don't need any fairway trouble really, because if the greens good enough, there's one really good spot to come in from and lots of bad ones angle wise, And this obviously takes into account it needs to be firm, but if you get everything right, it doesn't need to be that narrow. Really, it really doesn't. And and this isn't just from a golfer who doesn't like hitting the ball in the rough. I just think it's not about easy or hard. It's about interest. It's about making it more interesting, because what's going to bring you back next time to while the watch and play it is how interesting it is, how many different ways there are to do it. When you narrow stuff down so much, you dictate where people have to play it, just it loses a little few again, those shades of gray kind of get lost a little bit because it's a bit more black and white it's fair way good, rough bad, or trees bad. You know. So, yeah, I've got no problem with the length. Yeah, I mean I do in some ways, but not really. It kind of needs to happen if we're going to play the course. But it's the it's the inherent kind of misunderstanding of the strategy and taking the strategy away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a I mean, like I think about myself and amateur stuff, like mid am stuff, and like my strength and my game is hitting the ball straight. So like it's funny because like the golf courses I hate the most that are the most narrow. I like playing in competition the most, like because it gives me an advantage.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's kind of stupid, but it's it's not.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're also it's all self interested at the end of the day. Like straight it is like narrow courses, and wild it is like wide courses, and long it is like long courses. And yeah, I mean it's gotta be some selfish just involved.
Speaker 1: So we do this overrated underrated segment just quick, you know whether whether this thing is overrated or underrated.
Speaker 3: So kangaroos underwrited the concept of par.
Speaker 2: Overrated harbor Town overrited.
Speaker 3: That's how that's a good take. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think Harbor Town's the one I struggle because, like in the history of architecture, I think it's underrated, but playing it today is overrated.
Speaker 2: I think the way the tour players talk about it, they talk about it in the same breath as Riviera and Pebble Beach and stuff, and it's just not that. I think it's very interesting and it's very good, but it's not that. Yeah. Yeah, I'm not saying it's not good. I'm saying it's ever writed. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a riviera. I feel like it is in a class of itself. It's an above all else on like the regular PGA tour.
Speaker 3: I think, all right, well, Jeff, hey, thanks so much for your time.
Speaker 1: I'm really appreciative, and good luck this week and we'll we'll catch up Dune.
Speaker 2: No worries, it sounds good. Thanks man.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the fried Egg podcast. We do the digging for you.
Speaker 2: H